Designers » C » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Carven Vetiver Carven for men

Carven Vetiver Carven for men
dislike

In September 2014 the house of Carven (Groupe Jacques Bogart) is re-launching Carven Pour Homme and Carven Vetiver, giving the perfume collection French chic, elegance and sophistication. The new editions arrive in elegant lacquered flacons in black and green shades, with metal caps in silver color. The flacon designer is Thierry de Bashmakoff. Both fragrances represent a part of the tradition and heritage of the Carven brand and are created in a contemporary style.

Carven Vetiver is a re-edition of the men’s fragrance from 1957. The house of Carven explains that this is the first vetiver-based fragrance ever launched on the market and it inspired numerous other perfumers to create fragrances for other designer houses. The composition has been announced as citrusy-aromatic-woody and it opens with an explosion of luminous citruses—grapefruit, bergamot and lemongrass. The heart adds lavender sweetened with orange zest and aromatic-tart geranium, on a base of a sensual blend of benzoin, sandalwood and cedar mixed with a large dose of vetiver. Carven Vetiver can be obtained in flacons of 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

Grapefruit Lemongrass Bergamot

Orange Lavender Geranium

Benzoin Cedar Sandalwood Vetiver

4711 Acqua Colonia Lime & Nutmeg

Carven Vetiver Fragrance Reviews

san123
san123

Since nobody has mentioned it before, I just wanted to say that Carven Vetiver has a very distinct lemongrass note (I could feel it clearly before I had a look at the notes). If you like the smell of vetiver and lemongrass, you will probably like Carven Vetiver. As for performance, longevity is moderate (around 6 hours, but I was not shy with the trigger) and sillage is soft (sits close to skin). The smell is quite linear and does not develop much. I wouldn’t recommend a blind-buy, unless you like lemongrass, and vetiver, obviously.

victoria.mei1992
victoria.mei1992

Awful minty bitterness. Yuck, very weak.

T_ironhide46
T_ironhide46

Smells good, fresh and green. Could be a casual Friday scent (like today). Doesn't last long though on me. Maybe 2 hours at the most and that's with 4 generous sprays.

henri345que
henri345que

It is a testament to male resistance to the new in the world of perfumery that during the golden years of perfumery advances and innovations focused primarily on female fragrances, with male ones serving only to complete the toilette and shaving ritual. I say this because although the vetiver both synthetic and natural was a typical material of the female fragrance in those first decades in the men it never had a great moment Carven opened the way in 1957 by launching its iconic Vetiver. The contrast between the woody, smoky aroma of the root with the blend of freshness of citrus fruits, the warm of resins, the classic aromatic aspect of lavender and spicy tobacco aspect was such a success that led one of its competitors to create something similar, the Guerlain Vetiver in 1959.

This perfume is also an example of how a creative and unique fragrance needs a management that cares for the heritage to be preserved. Carven is one of the brands that had successively changesin formula and bottle so that it is difficult to identify certain time of their creations. And it seems to be a consensus that over the administration of the brand the concern with the olfactory coherence of its classics was not always respected.

The version I test today I suspect that is after the 2000s, but nothing to take to confirm - it is a square bottle glass, transparent but with a slight green tint in the glass. It brings me quite harmony and richness of a much older version of the 80's I got to test in the past. All the elements that make the classic Carven Vetiver are here: you feel the spicy tobacco aspect, t he resinous, powdery and slightly sweet aroma, the fresh and slightly bitter citrus grapefruit thing, the clean scent of lavender and the great star, the woody, earthy and dry aroma of vetiver. What I find missing is perhaps the harmony of the original, which tended a little more to the citrus and powdery parts. Still, a version that is consistent with a historical and important perfume, a precursor of the large amount of vetiver we have in the market today.

theo.sudarja
theo.sudarja

Test on: paper

Impression:

Want to buy for the bottle.

love the opening, green, raw, and not sweet. Disappointed by the average drydown, losing the rawness.

I like it, not love it.

aanton1
aanton1

This fragrance by Carven is for the guy who wants something a little different thrown into the mix. I tried pour homme by Carven first and hated how it smelled like the typical, locker room bleu de Chanel. It was generic and for the masses. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried vetiver. It really is a unique smelling vetiver. I really get the citrus in the beginning and this really earthy vetiver that is just fantastic. The drydown is nice and woody with an underlying warmth. It's very unique. The bottle also deserves two thumbs up for individuality. Lasts a good 3-4 hours on my skin, longer on clothes. Could have a bit better sillage, but I think anyone looking for something new to wear would certainly enjoy this.

Tam
Tam

Gorgeous. Not many men's fragrances I will wear but this is one of them. Once I get past the admittedly rather sharp opening, it dries down to a very calming initially citrus-based thereafter creamy vetiver. An intelligent fragrance that is both mood lifting and understated.

walking44
walking44

I need to retest. First thing I smelled was chemicals. Not much character but it managed to smell weird.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Here I was, prepared to love the rehashed version of Carven Pour Homme, but this re-rendering of the old version of their Vetiver caught my enduring atttention. Somehow this scent smells classic, but there are modern touches that make this scent relevant to present day perfume.

It opens fresh and green, almost in a citrus aquatic way, followed by a combination of vetiver lavender and a clean floral note, like lilies. Woody tones pair with the vetiver at the base.

This scent is bright and fresh in the beginning, but it quiets down awfully quickly. I'm wondering if there is a lot of natural raw materials in this scent. Makes me respect the scent even more.

I also bought and own Le Vetiver EdP. Screechy citrus and aromatics that tone down to a beautiful combination of vetiver, sandalwood, labdanum and musk to give it sensual warmth.

Carven hasn't made much mens scents, but what I have smelled, they're awfully good and they go by the beat of their own refined tempo.

drilon.pollozhani
drilon.pollozhani

This, in my opinion, is the vetiver of vetivers that are to be found among commercial fragrances.
I have to agree that I didn't know much about vetiver until I got to smell this the first time. I had a certain belief regarding vetiver, thinking it was in fact what I could smell in most woody scents out there – that key ingredient that made it all work. Well I was wrong as in clearly having smelled it numerous times before. The dry, smoky, earthy, and for a newby almost repulsively intense smell, which is vetiver – and I know that because I bought a bottle of essential vetiver root oil – was never really there in any of the other perfumes. Surely, it is there in Tom Fords GV EDT, which I own, and a wonderful scent in its own, but not enough to actually be able to say that it is a vetiver dominant scent (sage and citrus are very strong in that one). Carven's version from 2014, which I also own and very gladly wear now, however, is.
In fact you will not find another as authentic vetiver scent as this in your shopping mall that is not Guerlain or another older creation. Carven has succeeded in creating a fragrance that mixes nostalgia with timelessness, the bottle design included. It is fragrance that unites with me when I wear it, it is inoffensive, natural smelling, it is sharp but subtle, dirty but clean, simply right on the spot, with a beautiful balance between the strong initial vibe and the mellow dry down. This is a classic, and what's so good about it, is that it will never be over consumed, thus remain a special scent, a treasure among the others.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

This is a very rooty vetiver... It is completely different to anything I either own or have owned. Its not spicy like guerlain, not citrusy like Ford, not clean like Creed... than being said, its an amazing fragrance. It reminds me of my old town's barbershop. Go figure. Only draw back is that it does not last long.
Update: A testament to the power of fragrance to enhance your mood. We are heading for another suffocating summer in South Florida. This juice will make you feel clean, fresh, sophisticated but in a very relaxed way. Whereas Guerlain's vetiver make you feel sophisticated and dressed up, Carven's makes you feel relaxed, at ease, with comfort clothes on a weekend. Smell great my friends.

This appears to have been launched as a 'new' fragrance in the UK despite the fact that I was positive I'd tried both this and the pour homme before.
Anyway, this is an interesting vetiver blending the expected citrus top notes with a slightly green, earthy vetiver. The difference here is that the citrus gives way quickly and focuses on a more unusual marriage of benzoin, which lends a different dimension from the typical vetiver scent. (if there is such a thing?) The base is joined by other dry woods and a definite cedar note.
It still has enough of those 'typical' qualities however for a vetiver fan to really enjoy it. I found that after than fresh clean opening and first couple of hours the scent turned darker, very sour and woody. Oddly I found this quite appealing and either an extra layer in the composition or just a bad interaction with my skin...one or the other?
Lasting power was an acceptable 4-6 hours, sitting quite low on the skin.
Worth checking out and creates a bit more interest than some vetiver out there...a wild card perhaps?

imanpower
imanpower

very dry intensive vetiver...

Rudy Arnak
Rudy Arnak

Smells greener than The One before. I like it.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Every 3 or 4 years they decide to change the bottle. Do they also change the formula ? Nobody knows.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Carven Carven Vetiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Carven Carven Vetiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Carven Vetiver by Carven. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Carven Vetiver by Carven represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.