Designers » C » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Carven Vetiver Carven for men

Carven Vetiver Carven for men
dislike

In September 2014 the house of Carven (Groupe Jacques Bogart) is re-launching Carven Pour Homme and Carven Vetiver, giving the perfume collection French chic, elegance and sophistication. The new editions arrive in elegant lacquered flacons in black and green shades, with metal caps in silver color. The flacon designer is Thierry de Bashmakoff. Both fragrances represent a part of the tradition and heritage of the Carven brand and are created in a contemporary style.

Carven Vetiver is a re-edition of the men’s fragrance from 1957. The house of Carven explains that this is the first vetiver-based fragrance ever launched on the market and it inspired numerous other perfumers to create fragrances for other designer houses. The composition has been announced as citrusy-aromatic-woody and it opens with an explosion of luminous citruses—grapefruit, bergamot and lemongrass. The heart adds lavender sweetened with orange zest and aromatic-tart geranium, on a base of a sensual blend of benzoin, sandalwood and cedar mixed with a large dose of vetiver. Carven Vetiver can be obtained in flacons of 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette.

Grapefruit Lemongrass Bergamot

Orange Lavender Geranium

Benzoin Cedar Sandalwood Vetiver

Carven Vetiver Fragrance Reviews

theo.sudarja
theo.sudarja

Test on: paper

Impression:

Want to buy for the bottle.

love the opening, green, raw, and not sweet. Disappointed by the average drydown, losing the rawness.

I like it, not love it.

aanton1
aanton1

This fragrance by Carven is for the guy who wants something a little different thrown into the mix. I tried pour homme by Carven first and hated how it smelled like the typical, locker room bleu de Chanel. It was generic and for the masses. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried vetiver. It really is a unique smelling vetiver. I really get the citrus in the beginning and this really earthy vetiver that is just fantastic. The drydown is nice and woody with an underlying warmth. It's very unique. The bottle also deserves two thumbs up for individuality. Lasts a good 3-4 hours on my skin, longer on clothes. Could have a bit better sillage, but I think anyone looking for something new to wear would certainly enjoy this.

Tam
Tam

Gorgeous. Not many men's fragrances I will wear but this is one of them. Once I get past the admittedly rather sharp opening, it dries down to a very calming initially citrus-based thereafter creamy vetiver. An intelligent fragrance that is both mood lifting and understated.

walking44
walking44

I need to retest. First thing I smelled was chemicals. Not much character but it managed to smell weird.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Here I was, prepared to love the rehashed version of Carven Pour Homme, but this re-rendering of the old version of their Vetiver caught my enduring atttention. Somehow this scent smells classic, but there are modern touches that make this scent relevant to present day perfume.

It opens fresh and green, almost in a citrus aquatic way, followed by a combination of vetiver lavender and a clean floral note, like lilies. Woody tones pair with the vetiver at the base.

This scent is bright and fresh in the beginning, but it quiets down awfully quickly. I'm wondering if there is a lot of natural raw materials in this scent. Makes me respect the scent even more.

I also bought and own Le Vetiver EdP. Screechy citrus and aromatics that tone down to a beautiful combination of vetiver, sandalwood, labdanum and musk to give it sensual warmth.

Carven hasn't made much mens scents, but what I have smelled, they're awfully good and they go by the beat of their own refined tempo.

drilon.pollozhani
drilon.pollozhani

This, in my opinion, is the vetiver of vetivers that are to be found among commercial fragrances.
I have to agree that I didn't know much about vetiver until I got to smell this the first time. I had a certain belief regarding vetiver, thinking it was in fact what I could smell in most woody scents out there – that key ingredient that made it all work. Well I was wrong as in clearly having smelled it numerous times before. The dry, smoky, earthy, and for a newby almost repulsively intense smell, which is vetiver – and I know that because I bought a bottle of essential vetiver root oil – was never really there in any of the other perfumes. Surely, it is there in Tom Fords GV EDT, which I own, and a wonderful scent in its own, but not enough to actually be able to say that it is a vetiver dominant scent (sage and citrus are very strong in that one). Carven's version from 2014, which I also own and very gladly wear now, however, is.
In fact you will not find another as authentic vetiver scent as this in your shopping mall that is not Guerlain or another older creation. Carven has succeeded in creating a fragrance that mixes nostalgia with timelessness, the bottle design included. It is fragrance that unites with me when I wear it, it is inoffensive, natural smelling, it is sharp but subtle, dirty but clean, simply right on the spot, with a beautiful balance between the strong initial vibe and the mellow dry down. This is a classic, and what's so good about it, is that it will never be over consumed, thus remain a special scent, a treasure among the others.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

This is a very rooty vetiver... It is completely different to anything I either own or have owned. Its not spicy like guerlain, not citrusy like Ford, not clean like Creed... than being said, its an amazing fragrance. It reminds me of my old town's barbershop. Go figure. Only draw back is that it does not last long.
Update: A testament to the power of fragrance to enhance your mood. We are heading for another suffocating summer in South Florida. This juice will make you feel clean, fresh, sophisticated but in a very relaxed way. Whereas Guerlain's vetiver make you feel sophisticated and dressed up, Carven's makes you feel relaxed, at ease, with comfort clothes on a weekend. Smell great my friends.

This appears to have been launched as a 'new' fragrance in the UK despite the fact that I was positive I'd tried both this and the pour homme before.
Anyway, this is an interesting vetiver blending the expected citrus top notes with a slightly green, earthy vetiver. The difference here is that the citrus gives way quickly and focuses on a more unusual marriage of benzoin, which lends a different dimension from the typical vetiver scent. (if there is such a thing?) The base is joined by other dry woods and a definite cedar note.
It still has enough of those 'typical' qualities however for a vetiver fan to really enjoy it. I found that after than fresh clean opening and first couple of hours the scent turned darker, very sour and woody. Oddly I found this quite appealing and either an extra layer in the composition or just a bad interaction with my skin...one or the other?
Lasting power was an acceptable 4-6 hours, sitting quite low on the skin.
Worth checking out and creates a bit more interest than some vetiver out there...a wild card perhaps?

imanpower
imanpower

very dry intensive vetiver...

Rudy Arnak
Rudy Arnak

Smells greener than The One before. I like it.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Every 3 or 4 years they decide to change the bottle. Do they also change the formula ? Nobody knows.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Carven Carven Vetiver fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Carven Carven Vetiver, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Carven Vetiver by Carven. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Carven Vetiver by Carven represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.