Designers » C » Chypre Floral « Groups

Ma Griffe Carven for women

Ma Griffe Carven for women
dislike

Ma Griffe Carven for women Pictures Ma Griffe Carven for women Pictures Ma Griffe Carven for women Pictures

Ma Griffe by Carven is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Ma Griffe was launched in 1946. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Carles. Top notes are aldehydes, gardenia, green notes, asafoetida, clary sage and lemon; middle notes are iris, orange blossom, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are labdanum, sandalwood, cinnamon, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vetiver and styrax.

Aldehydes Gardenia Green Notes Asafoetida Clary Sage Lemon

Calandre

Ma Griffe Fragrance Reviews

petal49
petal49

I have the new version. I can't honestly say I remember the vintage perfume although I wore it in the early 70's.
Anyway wearing it today it is really fabulous and has lasted all day.
Fresh, feminine and different - what's not to like?
The strong sharpness of the first spray develops into a warm , woody, mossy deliciousness that stands head and shoulders above the modern perfumes of today.
I love it and am leaving a waft of unforgettable loveliness and beauty.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

Ma Griffe was one of the first perfumes I ever owned. A gift from a relative at Christmas, I wore it without knowing if I liked it or not, but I always felt extremely sophisticated and grown up!

Many years later I rediscovered the perfume, and have since stocked up with vintage bottles on ebay. I have to say, I haven't as yet been disappointed with any of my bottles, although none of them were probably from the late 1990s.

There are very very few green perfumes, and even fewer green perfumes that are not green-tea based. The citronellic notes and rich floralcy expressed within this greenness are simply unique. Hopefully, I'll never have to be without a good bottle of Ma Griffe either!

I smelled Ma Griffe only recently and I'm sure it was no vintage. After hearing so much about and how precious it is, honestly I was disappointed. It smells harsh in the opening and greenish putrid in the end and strangely never smells bad in a bad way, just not my kind of perfume. I see many remember the vintage version. For me this perfume is something that I thought it didn't exist: the old lady stuff. Anyway this is more related to the type of perfume with strong aldeides and green powerful notes rather than the silly stereotype. It belongs to an era when these perfumes were beloved and worn. It has a very vague feeling of Gres Cabotine, but much harsher. No trace of sweetness. It speaks to me of the daring elegance of the '50s lady, when ladies learned to be unapologetical to the world and felt no need to go around as giant wrapped candies. Interesting but not my kind.

jtd
jtd

Pursuing vintage perfume has its difficulties. Date? Formulation? Provenance? Concentration? At the heart of the matter is a question that can be asked of every perfume, whether vintage or current. It's a variation on the 'does one ever swim in the same river twice' chestnut: does one ever smell the same perfume twice?  Is my new bottle of Mitsouko the same perfume as my last bottle? Is Mitsouko Mitsouko? It's a high-school philosophy survey course sort of dilemma.

The problem with vintage perfume has to do with expectation. What do you expect from your ebay perfume purchase?  If it is a greater authenticity than a contemporary bottle offers you, be prepared to smell the disappointment.

Ma Griffe is my instructor on the topic. I've smelled 3 vintage versions made in the 1970s to 1990s and they all smell largely the same to me. Powdery and buttery, green but vague. Weak, indistinct, uninteresting.

This is the powerhouse green locomotive from 1947?  The legend that paved the way for the commanding green chypres of the mid-late 20th century? Of course it isn't. I'll never really know what the old girl smelled like in her heyday. I wasn't there in 1947, and to smell a bottle of Ma Griffe in 2014 that might have been produced in the 1970s can't compare. If you're chasing the authentic experience, like a junkie chasing that first high, it’ll feel like a hint of a memory. Like a dream at the tip of your mind's tongue.

So what to do?  Consensus is that the current Ma Griffe is rubbish and vintage is unreliable at best. Buying vintage doesn't usually give you the option of sampling or testing a perfume in advance of purchase. It's a stab in the dark.

So Ma Griffe is dead to me. It is the plight of perfumery and the perfume lover that over the course of time even iconic, seminal fragrances will go away. We blame IFRA compliance for reformulation, but forget to consider that the loss of past perfumes is inherent in the form. I enjoy the discussion of perfumery and the language that it prompts us to create. As for Ma Griffe, I'll have to be content with viewing from the sidelines of the debate. I'll never smell the perfume.

Still, it's worth it to have the discussion, don't you think?

EmeraldDream
EmeraldDream

This is for the vintage perfume
When I was a girl I read a series of romantic novels about a teenager in the 1950s. The love interest in her life was Paul, and every time she planned to accidentally bump into him she dabbed on some Ma Griffe. Ma Griffe featured quite prominently in all her books, which made me curious: How would a young girl in the 1950s smell on a date? I imagined something flowery and romantic, and when my husband recently gifted me with a small bottle of very vintage Ma Griffe, I was excited to finally learn the truth.

It opens up a bitter, dry aldehydic green, that for some reason is a tad nausating. It stays that way for a long time, and then dries down into a warm, spicy base that is rather pleasant. During no phase is it either romantic or girly - more like something one would imagine a middle aged woman in those days would wear, along with a hat and gloves.

This is why the world of perfume is so wonderful - it lets you get in touch with the life and tastes of people from a different time and place. Launched (from airplanes over Paris) in 1946, a scent that in our fruity/floral time can be considered severe and grown up was the "it" scent for young people back in the fifties - rebellious and ground breaking.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Received a lovely bottle of vintage Ma Griffe in a swap with a kind Fragrantican. This is the good stuff that I remember from years ago! It is bright and sparkling, and as Ditta70 mentioned below, it changes and is rather capricious! The Clary Sage and the Vetiver are so pure and bright in this beauty. It makes me feel so happy to have this fragrance in my wardrobe again. Thank you, N!

Ditta70
Ditta70

This perfume never stops to entertain me...I mean it is freakin' ridiculous! Composed by a then anosmic master Jean Carles, with a cartload of pungent asafoetida in the top, for heaven's sake, alongside with a good old slug of aldehydes, clarysage, the most bitter oakmoss in living memory (mine for sure), then all the florals that in this context appear rather prim and then that base of powdery, warm resins and woods and spices. It is green, dry, bitter, yet warm and powdery at the same time...to me Ma Griffe is just as bitchy as Bandit, but deceptively clad in a feminine two piece suit and a choker of pearls.

I just adore it and cannot really figure it out, ever.

Alexir101
Alexir101

Ma Griffe is timeless and elegant - the one I will pick to wear, when I just don't know what to wear. My mother wore this, so perhaps it is comforting to me from memories. Would never be without this in my collection.

MEL810
MEL810

Back in the 1960's or early 70's, my Dad's boss used to give the little bottles of Ma Griffe to his employees wives and daughters for Christmas.
At one point, I had several bottles.
I haven't had it in years but what I remember about it was that it was sort of green, grassy and mixed with something a bit sharper and deeper. I remember liking it and wearing it all the time until I started wearing Aramis Chromatics, which was a unisex men's cologne that I just loved. I also wore Fabrege's Tigress, Flambeau,Woodhue and Babe and sometimes the legendary Shalimar.

fedz
fedz

Ma griffe reminds me of Chanel 5 and Chanel 19 at the same time.May be because of the aldehydes?
I am not sure if I can wear it. I hate to say it, but "ma griffe" is for a woman in her 45-50's...
Not for the young ladies for sure!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Beautiful classy chypre, very interesting and complex. I have a vintage bottle for swap.

joliecat
joliecat

Oh what a fascinating scent ! I have a vintage Ma Griffe and on my skin, it begins as a deep, dark, earthy, rich, slightly bitter, dry powdery wonder. It doesn't shout, but instead envelops the senses like a soft cloud. After about a half hour, the florals bloom, sweet, dense, and gorgeous. The dark green earthiness remains to anchor the florals and I am in Heaven ! Yes, this scent is a very "old School" chypre, and it continually changes from slightly bitter to sweet floral, off and on for hours. It's dry, crisp, fresh as newly turned earth in a sweet flower garden ,cooling, interesting and addictive. I totally LOVE this vintage Ma Griffe !
Silage is moderate to low, wears close to skin, remaining full and rich. Longevity is amazing, and Ma Griffe stays on my skin forever until I wash it off.
I am amazed at how much I adore this perfume ! It's a unique treasure you never forget !

houzi
houzi

This unconventional beauty is more of an acquired taste. Befittingly, I have a rather complicated attitude towards my bottle. I would like to like it and to have no qualms about wearing it, but the fragrance is simply too peculiar. It's not something I can just pick casually to spray myself with in the morning and go about my business, unperturbed, for the rest of the day. But on days I reach for it, it rewards me with the feeling of naughty accomplishment.

Ma Griffe has a strong presence. I'm not sure it's really that detectable to people around me, but each time I wear it, it obviously makes me very aware of itself. Once on, the fragrance wraps me in its grip and there's just no way I could ignore it. The name and the ad seem really well-suited in this context, except that the way I see it, the claw's victim is always the wearer rather than the shirtless sexy someone:) In fact I highly doubt Ma Griffe has any erotic allure at all, quite the opposite (at least not in this day). It's the combination of oakmoss, gardenia and asafoetida, with asafoetida being a key factor, that gives it off-putting character. That being said, I feel quite special when I'm surrounded by its constricting, offbeat and un-pretty presence.

The part I'm not so keen on, however, is one particular association it calls to my mind. When I smell Ma Griffe I can't help being reminded of a certain scent that greets me the moment I step through the door of my elderly aunt's place. It's a usual blend of old fittings, aged furniture, decades-of-cooking worth kitchen smells absorbed and digested by wallpaper and household objects, the somewhat bitter, yet not unpleasant, smell of my aunt's breath - the collection of aromas that to me smell like humble, hard-working past, sadly touching in its mundanity. Alas, they also remind me of my aunt's kind nature and her occasional, uninhibited, mischievous giggle, suddenly making me see the young girl she must have been long before I was even born.

Ma Griffe doesn't bother to be pretty or shocking to get noticed. It has natural confidence that isn't just an act. It's bold yet quiet, kind of ugly, but fascinating. I would never describe it as fresh, soft or feminine. Lasts all day on me (current EdP).

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I am really enjoying this one. I find it to be a VERY green floral with an incomparable depth. I have the new/old formulation. It is very wearable and I would feel comfortable wearing it in a crowd or in close proximity to someone who is fragrance sensitive. I feel it is on the same level as A SCENT BY ISSEY MIYAKE. A light airy fragrance that a lovely sweet woman would wear. I also think it would be great for someone younger...I seriously take issue with the ad campaign...nails screeching on a mans back?! I don't think so. Anyway, that is my two "scents" worth.

Happy Perfuming!

PS this is not the longest lasting perfume...you could maybe get four hours?

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

A trop vouloir reformuler (moderniser) ce Chef d'Oeuvre de la parfumerie française, ils ont tué ce parfum !
Rien à voir avec l'ancien et original Ma Griffe.
Le nouveau donne une odeur synthétique de l'iris bas de gamme et savonneuse d'un aldéhyde sorti d'un paquet de lessive.
L'ancien laissait la part belle au Chypre qu'il était !
Avec un fond boisé très féminin. C'est ainsi que je le sentais sur la peau de ma maman. Peut-être ai-je idéalisé ce parfum quand j'étais petite fille mais il en demeure pas moins qu'ils ont massacré une icône de la parfumerie !
Je suis très très déçue de la reformulation !!!
Un cadeau de la fête des mamans 2005 pour ma maman et le cadeau est raté !!! Furieuse !
Je n'ai pas l'habitude d'être virulente comme cela mais cela me met en rage quand on tue des parfums iconiques comme Ma Griffe qui a bercé ma jeunesse !

chyprefan
chyprefan

Anyone who pines for the smell of Ma Griffe as it was prior to the sometimes dire reformulations of the last couple of decades should try the new version,in the new bottle and packaging. Carven said they were returning to the original formula and as far as I can tell, they have done just that. Beautiful , and a very welcome return.

jht4060
jht4060

Carven Ma Griffe is a remarkable chypre on the dark green bitter side of the genre. There are white floral notes but they take a back seat to an aldehydic green scent with some animalic note that I can't put my finger on (it might be asafoetida, a very unusual note in perfume - to me ground asafoetida smells like fresh ground mustard seed mixed with cooked garlic and a morsel of rotting flesh). The notes are fairly linear for quite some time before they slowly give way to a classic oakmoss and vetiver base. This is what I imagine bad girls and aggressive professional women from the late 40's and the 50's might have worn. The name translates as "My Claw" as you can see from the publicity shot, and it is perfect for this unpretty juice (bold and handsome yes, pretty no). The bottle is classy and I love the way the striped box evokes raking claw marks, but done in green to reflect the perfume notes.

I see that some others describe this as soft and feminine which is totally at odds with what I smell. To me it smells big, waxy, green, almost bitter. I don't know how to explain this difference in perception, but it is clear that that the Carven folks smell what I smell (the name, the ad images).

For the perfect description of the appeal of scents like Ma Griffe, search for Meaning of Ma Griffe on the web (olfactorama blogspot). A lovely slice-of-life vignette for an amazing perfume.

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

I haven't yet tried the new version (in the cylindrical bottle) but I think that is the way it should actually smell--more animalic than the green version.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

What a beautiful fresh, green chypre!!!

It is full of aldehydes, green notes and the oakmoss and vetiver gives it this dry, earthy, old skool quality.

I can imagine Grace Kelly wearing it and being a spokesperson or ambassador for it.

It has 40ies chic written ALL OVER.

Think of an early sunny summer's day (late spring really) in Monaco, when Grace Kelly drives up the mountains in a stylish cream convertible with white leather goves and a Hermes silk scarf wrapped around her ...the sharp, still cold wind batters through her hair...but she is ever so stylish regardless the "joie de vivre".

I would honestly wear this as well......if only to revive Grace Kelly's holy style ghost!

10/10 for stylish vintage cool!

joan100
joan100

Is it just me or does this smell very faecal and animalic? Im not so sure now because in the store I sprayed this and I got this strong white floral/civet note. Yes and it was Ma Griffe by Carven but the bottle was a cylindrical shape instead of the shape in the picture above. Did I spray the correct one?

MsAmazing
MsAmazing

It was so fresh at the time in the late 40s. My mother loved this scent above all others. She said it was the only one that didn't give her a headache. She was not pleased when I started wearing it in my thirties since it was her signature. Jean Carles was the nose behind Ma Griffe, and like the great Beethoven who was deaf when he composed the great string quartets, Jean Carles had lost his sense of smell. He developed Ma Griffe in his head!

indorm
indorm

When I was 16 or 17 somebody gave me a tiny bottle of Ma Griffe which I loved and treasured. I didn't really know the value, but it stood out among the cheap stuff people tend to give teenagers for their birthdays, and to this day I remembered it, even though I never came across it for decades. I was so excited when I read about it on Fragrantica and could get hold of samples on eBay. I got two 1 ml samples in different packaging which surprisingly smell totally different from each other. The one is exactly the Ma Griffe I loved when I was a teenager, and the other has a cheap, synthetic, sweet smell I can't stand. (fake?)

Ma Griffe is a fragrance I feel I can wear even to work here in fragrance-intolerant Japan, because it is so soft and classy - lots of oakmoss softened by citrus and gardenia. I hate the marketing though - I really can't connect that nasty demon-like claw with this beautiful, feminine and classy fragrance.

lalondem

thanks- good to know for my future buys not to invest in anything too heavy on the asefoe.....I'll just shorten it to ass!

michelle.p.stpierre
michelle.p.stpierre

@ lalondem...it may be the asafoetida doing that!

migueldematos
migueldematos

It's asafoetida!

lalondem

Can someone tell me what ingredient makes this perfume smell somewhat like cow poop at the start of it? Lol, no really -what is that weird smell? Will it pass and become something beautiful? because it is really hard to wait until that happens..... Anyone can give me the name please? I hear these names (oakmoss, vetiver etc.) but I can't attach a smell to them......

Ma Griffe appears to have fallen off the radar in recent years which shouldn't be so. This is one of those inexpensive gems, a cheaper alternative to YSL's Rive Gauche.

Ma Griffe is a soft, almost intimate fragrance. It doesn't have much projection, but it does last. I quite enjoy its subtlety, especially on a warm Summer's day. It's a clean and somewhat powdery green fragrance.

When I first applied Ma Griffe to my skin I was greeted with a hit of spicy greenness. I am more than likely smelling the clary sage note featured in the opening. The aldehydes are quick to develop too, lending a crisp, somewhat powdery feel.

There's something really likeable about Ma Griffe. You'd find it difficult to dislike it. The oakmoss accord smells fantastic in this composition, blending perfectly with the aldehydes, green notes, vetiver, clary sage, white florals and iris. The end result is a smooth, green chypre that almost anyone can wear.

Due to its super soft sillage, I almost forget that I'm wearing Ma Griffe. I'd really encourage a heavy-handed application for this fragrance if you want it to be noticed. Otherwise, enjoy its subtle nature and wear it for yourself.

Thomasania
Thomasania

I have an older bottle of Ma Griffe and I have been wearing it the last few days on and off. I am just trying to get a feel for it, and I what I know is that the version I have is. Loud and brash, but crisp and clean. It's not soapy just crisp, like perfectly ironed shirts. It has strong sillage and longevity, both of which I find a plus. Beware, this is not a skin scent, people will notice you when you walk in the room. So far, I am really enjoying this.

NicoleO
NicoleO

I was given this fragrance as a gift, it was not something I would choose for myself. It is inoffensive and boring. It smells clean, like soap or talcum powder. I used it on housework days.

Marie76
Marie76

This is another of those perfumes that I can not be objective about, my mum wore it so it's imprinted in my lymbic system and that is it.

I always make a connection between ma griffe, Mitsouko and Clinique's Elixir.

Ma Griffe evoques sadness. There is no interplay between the great green opening and the sorrowful oakmoss underneath. It's as if this wonderful greenerie was suspended above a slowly moving boat in the darkness. It is beautiful.

In mitsouko, the same notes, but with a bit of peach, something gourmand, are in it, but the interplay is much stronger. The notes swim up and down and surround you. It's as if you were walking in a wood exquisitely fragranced.

And in Clinique's Elixir, I feel as if I had entered the room were "the fun" was, but no longer is. It's a perfume about the trace of a perfume. As if all those fantastic scents were preserved in something slightely waxy and medicinal. Still utterly wonderful.

Anyway, I ramble.

My point is, wear this beauty day and night, but not if you are feeling sad...

Soignee
Soignee

As much as I tried to like this perfume, I just couldn't. As much as I love old, classic perfumes, this one is anything but classic. It smells cheap, boring and utterly forgettable.

mary.blumreich
mary.blumreich

I received a bottle as a gift and am trying to like Ma Griffe, but having a devil of a time with it. I have read all the reviews and don't know how to speak fragrancese like most of the reviewers here, I just know the stuff kind of makes me feel sickish when I spray it on, after I have been wearing it awhile and finally when I can't wait to get into a shower and wash it off I still feel slightly nauseated. LOL I would have to say this juice just isn't for me.

Moonclaw
Moonclaw

Just received a vintage collection of three little minis of this, what a beautiful scent. I agree, the aldehydes are strong at first, then on me it settles into the beautiful flowers of the middle notes, particularly lily of the valley. This is a lovely, wearable daytime scent for spring/summer, it's fresh and clean and quite lovely. I've also enjoyed reading through all the comments, and agree with most. This one is worth tracking down!

NarnianDryad
NarnianDryad

This is the ultimate sophistication - fresh, sharp, but without bitterness, sweet without being too sugary. The aldehydes and the muskiness complement each other wonderfully. A real classicn that is wearable anywhere, anytime.

dhiagelev
dhiagelev

I know this perfume has been going a long time, but this is my first purchase, a bargain from EBay, and I absolutely adore it! Really powerful, which I love. I have no time for those disappointing perfume which might be a most gorgeous scent, but disappears in no time.
This is intriguing, sophisticated, flowery but floral with an oomph not flowery twee, sexy, with that interesting tinge of musk and oak moss, but not too overpowering so that it knocks you and everyone else out. Three hours down the line from first spray, it smells as strong, which is see as an enormous plus, and it feels so good to wear. Seems to me that this would be appropriate for day or evening ,and it is going to be my number one choice. I am smitten!

id
id

very special, unique and long lasting (old version), but not mine or maybe not yet. Very very dry, soapy and powdery on my skin. Totally unisex at least for my nose.
P. S. And for me it doesn't smell as Rive Gauche by YSL.

lulu7898
lulu7898

I do not find Ma Griffe sexy but very comforting and mellow. I feel good wearing it and I like that.

antfarm
antfarm

Modern EDP: This starts off green and very "vintage" smelling, but quickly becomes a subtle skin scent that smells like what can accurately be described as a person's breath after they have eaten parsley. I find it strikingly unisex.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Ma Griffe is a sorrowfully optimistic scent.

It seems to know that despite its pure white floral heart it is destined to lead a cold life.

It makes a fair fist of a bright opening all aledhyde and aromatic, then transforms effortlessly into a clean and becoming bouquet of freeze dried flowers.

Though somehow these notes of gardenia, iris, orange blossom, jasmine, muguet and rose are too brittle. One senses they would break if touched.

It is this fragility, as if the whole fragrance’s slight composition where stretched out to too tight over an oakmoss structure too big and forceful for it, that is the scent’s haunting charm.

If it were not for a slight powdery sweetness that arrives midway through, this perfume would be the very epitome of sparseness.

As it is Ma Griffe is entirely sympathetic and strangely attractive in a solitary way.

It should be noted that loneliness afflicts both men and women equally, this being the appropriate accompaniment for such an unfortunate emotion I see no reason why all should not feel free to use it.

An extended version of this review is available on my website - which you can access from my profile page.

mereltje
mereltje

I have a vintage perfum pencil of this gorgeous perfume. Never seen anything like this on ebay. It has 10 ml inside en is full. I really love it, it has very sharp green notes and has a lot of aldehydes in it. I reminds me somehowe of chanel 19 but sharper. It lasts for over 5 hours so I think it's fine.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

This is a magical perfume. I have yet to smell a fragrance where the oakmoss is more prominent yet so gentle - almost hidden. It's as if the oakmoss stumbled in a on his siter's sleepover and all the girls want to playfully hit him with their pillow. Every time I think I am zeroing in on the purity of the oakmoss something else grabs my attention.

I get vetiver and some aldehyde mid way in - but there is only enough of the aldehyde to make the oakmoss and vetiver hum - which is about the same time the musk begins to make it's presence know. In the drydown I begin to notice a honey/bees wax scent dancing with a hint of laudanum and of course the oakmoss. I also get some faint bezoin which softens it all just a touch.

I don't know which florals are in this because they are so well hidden it is always changing - sometimes I'm smelling orange blossom then other times I smell iris - a bit of rose - sometimes it's just the impression of a flower. The fragrance I smell an hour or so after spraying is so different and so much softer and beautiful than the first hour.

This fragrance gets warmer as time goes by everything seems to fuse together like melting, dripping wax. This scent is all about the magic of oakmoss. Such a SOFT OAKMOSS hidden in plain sight!!! BTW I sampled the vintage version.

My Grade System : 1 is horrid, 5 average, 10 perfect

Logevity : 7.5/10

OVERALL SCORE : 8.5/10

Soie
Soie

Maybe my bottle had gone 'off' because the fragrance in it was unweareable as it smelled very much like acetone / nail polish remover to my nose.

sally.west1
sally.west1

I bought an unused bottle of "Ma Griffe" at a jumble sale when I was about 25 - I love perfume and was always "sniffing" out bargains and old classic scents. I remember thinking it was one of the most unusual scents I had every encountered up to that point - so strong, sensual and womanly - very green and mossy with a musky undertone. I didn't have the nerve to wear it! I was given the newer formulation in the 1990's and this seemed more wearable to me, although never a favourite. Too mature and old fashioned and not in a good way!

ION
ION

I sampled this one today first time, and I can really understand how interesting it could have been at the time of its launch and for decades later, but for the woman of today, I just don't see it as a very suitable proposal.
It is very old fashioned (in an unpleasant way), it starts very deep and animalic and only later it blooms in a lovely floral and elaborated smell (this is the stage I like the most). There is something classic about it but not in a very unique way (at times it smelled like an inferior "miss dior", personally I'd go for the later anytime.
Good thing it is still around though, but so are a number of other old classics which frankly do the same job better.

babel
babel

What was I thinking....
in the '70s.... 1976 to the day Magie Noire was introduced in 1978...

Cleaning my closets and came upon a ' vapocket' Ma Griffe, a thin spray 30ml bottle I used to stick in my school bag. Initially taken from mother's closet, it became my 'transitional' perfume, between the tomboy days of Paco Rabanne and discovering my 'inner famme fatale' with Magie Noire. It might have been 'me' then, but, boy,.... what was I thinking? What an edgy scent!

The bottle I have is from the early 1970's and has been kept in the dark. I think it lost the top notes as I don't smell citrus but I, frankly, don't remember chypre floral notes then, either. In fact, I was vigorously avoiding citrus notes on anything in those years, because inadvertently they reminded me of 4711, the 'original cologne', which we splashed liberally when sick or visiting sick relatives. -- The antimicrobial hand wash of the times, I guess.

Pungent. Very pungent. No sweetness at all.

And how many reincarnations has this perfume undergone? I could not find even one bottle that resembles the bottles I remember, not to mention the one I have. I just saw the price. I can't believe it has become that cheap...

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

This is a fragrance I fell in love with at a very young age. My mom, sister and I bought it in Galeries Lafayette, my first time in Paris. It was going to be for all three of us. I ended up wearing it to school. Since that time I love chypre fragrances for work (school in past), they keep me aware, alert, sharp and fresh, just as the perfume. Another chypre that I loved was Cialenga. Nowdays using Balenciaga, and also looking for another chypre, maybe with more citrus on top.

muskymoi
muskymoi

I'll have to explore this one a bit more and maybe open my mind a bit more, but initial reaction was a recoil. Smells like a cocktail of urine and sweat, at first sniff. After 20 minutes I detected a hint of light floral. My bottle is what appears to be a vintage from 1968. I have no idea what it would smell like if it turned rancid..cause it smells kinda rancid even if it hasn't gone off. Or, maybe I shouldn't smell this 10 minutes after luxuriating in Ambre Narguile. Food for thought.

Update: A giveaway for me. I simply cannot handle this scent at all. I don't even want to keep it for reference. It's probably the only perfume I categorically cannot put near my person. I'd bathe in a tub of Fracas (ouch) before I inhale another whiff of Ma Griffe.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I just bought a box of Paris perfume sample sizes from the late 50's on Ebay. It was in good condition and all the other samples had maintained their middle and base notes, although the top notes are very fleeting now. I was excited to see that there was vintage Ma Griffe so I put it on a piece of paper and kept sniffing it for an hour or two, noting the stages of the drydown. I understand that many folks love this, but it is not my cup of tea.

The chypre and other scents in the mix smells like undies that have been worn all day and then dropped in the grass. It's not pleasant in the least. If you want chypre try a modern one like Estee Lauder's Aliage, that's a good scent. I see why this perfume did not have such a good reputation when it was first introduced. I definitely get the "bad girl" smell that it gives off and I don't like it.

Dinkum
Dinkum

Found me a vintage bottle of the pure perfume.

Find it stunningly beautiful. Gorgeous green chypre. Oakmoss, vetiver, labdanum, lily-of-the-valley and iris.

Read that it´s creator also made the original Miss Dior (of which I´ve got a small extrait de parfume). So intriguing to find that two perfumes with so many notes in common still are so different from each other.

judyk
judyk

Hmmm, I think my recently purchased mini has lost its top notes. I get a moment of sharpness on application (pdt dabber), then it goes straight to soapy, creamy florals...

Thirty minutes in and I'm beginning to register a sharper note. There's some spice but the overall effect is so smooth I can't pick out any individual notes. That said, I have nothing against "soapy, creamy florals" and I think this is lovely.

I'll try to find a spray, ideally vintage but new if I must, and test it again. But this little mini certainly won't go to waste!

ETA (2Aug12): Yes! I found a vintage spray (boxed pdt). And I certainly got those missing top notes this time! A whoosh of aldehydes, then lemon and asofoetida on the skin. After only a few minutes it settled down to that lovely soapy, creamy floral again but still retained an undercurrent of sharpness. Mmmmmmm.

pfcs
pfcs

I had a bottle of this in college in 1970 and remembeer it as being unique and luscious. I don't usually go for green scents, but this was something special. I wish I had some now.

I tried to avoid the top notes as much as possible (I do that by blowing on the area I sprayed and not breathing in with my noes, then leaving the room I sprayed in), so I didn't get nasty aldehydes. Instead, the asafoetida is very strong, and if a niche company marketed this today it would not surprise me. Perhaps it would be called something like Fenugreek Sunrise! I don't get that much of a floral quality here, but there is a powdery, green vetiver, so that is likely the iris. There is a very mild chypre accord, so if you don't like chypres you still might like this one. There is a mild animalic quality here, and it's on the dry side of things (some might consider it a bit "musty"). As time goes on it balances out nicely, and I consider it unisex (the drydown). Longevity is very good and projection ("sillage") drops off and is at least moderate. While MG lacks the dynamism of the greats of the 1980s, it has enough dynamism to make it worth considering among aficionados. This review is for the vintage (mid 90s?) Parfum de Toilette.

UPDATE: I obtained a bottle of vintage 1970s EdT (spray). It is by Jacqueline Cochran. The fenugreek type notes seems totally absent and the note separation isn't as good. It's also not as strong. I think this one would work today in a lot of social situations. However, the aficionado would likely be less interested in it. Since I intend to keep my PdT, I am going to put this one up for swap (50 ml, sprayed a couple times, with cap, nice 70s style bottle in excellent shape).

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

I had a gamble on an eBay auction. I thought it was an ordinary mini EDT or EDP. Turns out its a vintage "Pure Parfum" - Lucky !! It was also another eBay bargain at £3.50 including PnP. (i love it when i get a bargain!).

The two words that best describe this perfume for me , are "Green Powder" ! Id prefer it if the Green notes were more prominent, and it was less powdery. I still like it though. Reading through this review page ,it seems that the different versions over the years vary a lot in quality and smell. Ive tried a tester vial of the modern EDT and its brighter , fresher and less powdery.

Ive seen a lot of reviews all over the web , that slate this perfume as "old Fashioned".It does remind me of "Old School" style talcum powders that the older generation use heavily. Ma Griffe is so different to the majority of whats on the perfume shelves in 2012 , that i think it may just be too austere ,too bitter and maybe too eccentric for the young consumer . I just don't think they would "get " what Ma griffe is about. In contrast to the mainstream perfume trends , Ma griffe is devoid of ANY sweetness , and is quite bitter and harsh. It screams the coulour GREEN , the packaging n advertising is a perfect fit for the smell. When its settles down , its a green powder bomb.

PS - I read on another site that the edition that was brought out in 2007 is the one that's been slated as "bad quality" in reviews. Apparently Carven listened to its customers and have re-issued it again , in a reformulation that's better quality and closer to the original. :)Below is a quote from carven reps -

..............."Carven has had new owners since July 2008 and the proprietors want to go back to the roots of the historic label. They are planning to release an authentic version of Ma Griffe -- which is in dire need of it as it has been undone by blotchy reformulations lately -- as well as Eau Vive which will be released as an unisex scent."..........

( Wouldn't it be great if more perfume houses took this approach! )

honeydays
honeydays

I have a mini bottle I got on eBay. So I don't know which iteration I have, or if perhaps it has spoiled/soured, as I have known another bergamot fragrance to do.

That being said...

It smells like my grandmother's nursing home.
Dreadful.

blueberrymuffin
blueberrymuffin

I don`t know how old the bottle I`ve got is. It doesn`t look like the one in the picture. It is from the same era as Le Dix. On me it starts with really sharp aldehydes and then converts to powdery and humid florals.I don`t get any green or fresh notes, it seems quite heavy.

dlane1953
dlane1953

Sweet, sweet summertime

An old friend from way back! I wore this in the 70s and recently acquired another bottle; I'm so happy to rediscover it once again. This is green lushness in liquid form. The opening is big and brash, very sharp aldehydes and citrus, with a touch of sourness that I can't quite place but I have to guess that it's the asofoetida. (I prepare quite a bit of Indian food, and this spice, in it's raw state, is very pungent!) If it stayed this sharp-edged, I would have to scrub it off immediately; happily, the middle notes come on softly and the fragrance opens into a wholly new creation, rounded, lovely, gently sweet but not cloying. The drydown is a chypre lover's dream, with oakmoss, labdanum, and sandalwood prominent. The cinnamon is a wonderful touch--nice to bring a spice back into the mix. Sillage is big, longevity 8+ hours. I've seldom seen such a quality fragrance at such a reasonable price---I don't know how they manage it but I hope they make this scent forever. A perfect summer fragrance, day or night. A great unisex fragrance, too.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I have 1/2oz of this in very vintage extrait. I am a chypre connoisseur, and this is right at the top of my list along with Mitsouko, Private Collection, Eau Sauvage, and Z14. This must have been destroyed in a reformulation to have reviews like this; I haven't smelled the new version to compare. I can, however, talk about my particular bottle that I bought recently, still in its original plastic wrapping.

Ma Griffe opens citrusy and green, like you would expect it to, with a sweetness provided by the gardenia. The citrus starts to wane, and the salty, sulfurous asafoetida note brings the gardenia into a pretty avant-garde territory. At the same time, but independently, the most beautiful natural cinnamon and iris accord is pushed up into the foreground by the bitter, inky chypre base. This is all glued together by a delicate floral middle and the presentation is just stunning. As time goes on, the vetiver and florals become a bit more prominent, echoing a bit Dior's trademark sour chypre bases. Hours later, you're treated to a gorgeous but extremely feminine musk. It smells like warm skin, and it's done very well.

Longevity is great, though projection ceases fairly early on. Ma Griffe, in its vintage form, at least, is a stunning example of a soft, floral chypre. Lovely through and through.

Katieg
Katieg

just gone back to Ma Griffe after lapsing into a sweet perfume binge. It was the first 'proper' scent I bought. A stay in France as a teenager and a trip to a big Paris department store led me to it. I was enraptured after all the fruit sec ted 'teen' scents available in the UK at the time. Ma Griffe is like no other. A fresh green breeze but a strange intoxicating secret underneath the familiar freshness. As if a genie lurks in the bottle beguiling the wearer to explore more and discover it! I never grow tired of Ma Griffe. I'm glad we're best friends again. I can wear Ma Griffe anywhere and she never embarrasses me.

Iluvsmellies
Iluvsmellies

I have a mini vintage and a 10ml spray modern of Ma Griffe, the vintage is richer, earthier but both are gorgeous. Price is not a good indicator of quality on its own and this is a beautiful classic to be had at drugstore price. It embodies spring with its clean, green, citrus floral nature. If you like Y, No. 19, Chant D'Aromes, Calandre, Metal, Envy and the other chypre green / white florals, try this, it is a worthy contender even in its current incarnation.

akats
akats

I was very hesitated to try this, as I thought that it would be a darker stronger version of Caleche or Rive Gauche. (I hate them both) Indeed, there is a similarity at the top and middle notes,but it reminds more of Paco Rabane's Calandre, which is similar to the other two, but more subtle and elegant.
Ma Griffe is even more elegant and subtle...Bitter and warm, floral and green. All together! I did not expected to like it but I really did! So, I bought it. I have the new version of edp, so I cannot compare it to the vintage one, but I imagine this new is lighter, and more floral than the old. It is a unisex fragrance and not a sexy girly thing...Yet, chypre lovers will appreciate it.

jujy54
jujy54

The vintage Ma Griffe I have fairly screams, "call the gas company, the house is going to explode!" That would be the asafoetida, which contains methly mercaptan, a noxious garlicky smell. Any questions?

The_Entity
The_Entity

This is lovely for the daytime, I dont usually go for soft frags, but I dont mind this one. And it does remind me of a much softer, pleasent Cabotine

shouldnthaveausername
shouldnthaveausername

I was wondering if Carven perfumes are tested on animals? if anyone knows, that would be great

itscaz
itscaz

I used to wear this a lot in the 70's so not sure what the newer version is like. It was very strong from what I remember. I've bid for some on ebay so will see....

johngreenink
johngreenink

Ma Griffe is a strong and sour floral with a somewhat spicy base surrounded by green notes. The floral characters are gardenia, lily of the valley and rose. Styrax, asofedita and sandalwood add spice and just a bit of sourness comes from oak moss. There is also a 'note' here that I haven't really encountered before in a perfume, and I'd call that 'soapy green' - it's very pleasant and perhaps just a bit like what you'd expect jade to smell like if it had a smell.

It opens sharp, floral and loud, and this is its strength. There is nothing sweet or gentle about Ma Griffe - this is serious perfume. It evolves slowly (because of its incredible longevity,) and and changes lightly from one stage to another. This soapy-green appears about half an hour in, along with a sour and boozy note. The florals fade slightly, and I think these middle notes are the most pleasant.

It remains spicy till the end, but not in a cinnamon-and-sugar kind of way - asofedita is one of the strangest spices to a Western nose (it's incredibly disagreeable in its raw state,) but when warm it opens into something very appetizing and savory - anybody who's ever cooked a curry will remember this. It plays an important role in Ma Griffe adding a serious edge to the whole experience.

Because its so strong, this one will last all day. The dry down is unusual - it brings forth a kind of withering blossom scent; like cut flowers heavy with the last gasp of perfume. It's a dramatic exit for a perfume that has a lot of assertive character and a strong personality. This is serious perfume, highlighting the strength of chypres. Is it old-fashioned? It may be, slightly, but that is in no way a flaw. Ma Griffe is from a former era when perfume made a stronger statement.

Wilka
Wilka

It was my first French fragrance: the first fragrance I wore as a woman... Many years ago, now: in 1981. I was 26 or 27. I don't think I can find it in Uruguay now.

Alexir
Alexir

Classic - never lets me down. Always admired when I wear this.

Sassy1
Sassy1

I have to apologize to those who voted on my review only to find it has dissappeared.

I get excited when I get to test something new and in my exhuberance to share my first impressions, I am finding that my reviews are sometimes less than they should be. So, a fresh start...

As I mentioned before, cooler weather makes me yearn for heavier, denser scents so chypre's are the natural choice.

Upon my first sniff of Ma Griffe, I fell instantly in love. Sweet green and slightly soapy aldehydic heaven! It seems like it could be overpowering and way too pushy if you wear more than a dab and yet after only a few minutes it turns into a slightly sweet powdery cinnamon dusting, soft and skin close. There is no further evolution and this is where it remains for the rest of it's 5-7 hour (EDP) life.

It isn't a glorious awe inspiring jus but on the bright side, the EDP is very oily so doesn't "burn off" like other alchohol fueled scents do.

A pleasant day scent overall. One thing I like about it is the absence of the obligatory mossy dankness of other chypre's. I think aldehydes are the perfect counterpoint to offset this gloom and doom.

Update: "Whacky" is the perfect word to describe this scent...it reminds of a crazy aunt who wears swim goggles to go bowling.

antilope
antilope

Elegant, fresh,amazing. So called "old-fasioned" but masterpiece. A perfect representative of true green notes. Not sweet - very pleasant for all of us who don't like oversweeted perfumes. Sparkling opening, nice drydown.Brilliant composition.

jasmasid
jasmasid

I have known Ma Griffe since childhood. It's a scent that works best in very hot, humid climates as it has a tremendous cooling effect. I loved it when I lived in Africa but on buying it again in London, it just wasn't the same. Partly, the perfume itself had changed and, of course, the British weather is not right for Ma Griffe. I know it is a top favourite of many high-profile women in India. It used to be quite inexpensive but has recently taken a price hike -- not sure why!
Additional Note: BEWARE of Ma Griffe dating from the 1990s to about 2005. (That's when it suddenly also became very cheap to buy.)
The batches produced thereafter (including these days) smell much better and more like the Ma Griffe of the old days.

sistertricked
sistertricked

The reformulated edp I have is quite a safe scent to my nose, and for that it is indeed well-blended. The general impression I have with this fragrance is that of smelling dry hay together with other meadow plants. On first spray it is all about aldehydes, and I do like aldehydes, together with some genteel citrus added in, some slightly oily greenness rounding it. As it dries down there are no particular flowers coming to the front, but I can feel the oakmoss coming through instead, together with just a hint of soft woodiness to sustain it; dry and oakmossy, yet not disturbing, with a remnant of classy feeling. I have applied on my pulse points and on the crook of my arms. While on my pulse points the scent is powdery dry with a dash of citrus, on the crook of my arms it is warmer with flowers and cinnamon or sandalwood, maybe.
I place this scent, for its safe character, in the same category with Blue Grass and Je reviens, even though it is more mature, drier with a hint of powder.
I also think it to be a skin scent, to the effect that it smells of skin, as it brightens and highlights the natural smell of one's person.
I intend to wear it for a couple of days and see how it mixed with skin and hair and how I perceive it when I wake up in the morning.
Now that I move around I can feel a soapy feeling like of my own body and I see that the scent warmed a little more on the crook of my arm.

MK
MK

I have just bought "MA GRIFFE Carven parfum de toilette 10mls", now I wonder about this version. Can it be good? Because it is not spray and splash . It's roll on. I had mini parfum- just only fantastic scent! Reminds me Climat Lancome very much.
I tryed to find the information about Ma Griffe bottle roll on but couldn't find.If this vintage or new - I don't know.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I picked up 50mls vintage 'parfum de toilette' with talc boxed, both unused. I sprayed it on and just cannot get on with it at all, it's just too astringent and sharp for me. Would someone like it? pm me if you would!:)

Kiku
Kiku

This is one of the most complex fragrances I've ever encountered. The opening is horrible! It has a witch hazel/astringent smell. Fortunately that quickly gives way to a lovely heart: roses and white flowers,and cool green notes. It is clean, fresh, and dry. What little sweetness Ma Griffe has shows up in the drydown and it is a "candy" sweetness. This little bit of "burnt sugar" mixed with orris root produces a soft, smooth, powdery drydown. Ma Griffe reminds me of Cabotine. They are both cool, dry, green fragrances -- great "go to" perfumes for the long, hot days (and nights) of summer. But Ma Griffe is more subtle, more sophisticated. It is Cabotine grown from a girl into a woman.

flowerbombhannah
flowerbombhannah

Just a little history: In 1946 Ma Griffe was literally "launched." A small plane rained down a bundle of tiny parachutes over Paris, each containing a mini bottle of Ma Griffe underneath. I love this story...

Sissi
Sissi

Ma Griffe opens crisp and lush of Green Notes caresses
your senses of different shades though light and dark
swirls vibrantly like an Rousseau painting primal and
instinctive from the surface the opening gives an impression of innocence and the green notes adds that
metaphor as we walk further into the Ma Griffe Greenhouse the air becomes thicker and the floral becomes deeper The note of Peach steeps though the
air like a sensual Verita; Rose adds an velvety touch
to this dualistic scent Orris brings the earthy side
and nocturnal jasmine closes the middle with an green
herbal smell; The drydown turn Ma Griffe uninhibited
and Primal; Labdanum with a mixture of Civet adds a
Animalistic spirit Cinnamon brings depth and a bit of an edge; Watered musk dilutes the volume but noticible.

Ma Griffe dries to a dark and esoteric finish of
styrax and dry sandalwood,This scent is a Chameleon
crisp and green at the opening deep and reseinous
drydown, i would love this if it wasn't a bit cloying
but still a nice perfume i would give this
3 out of 5 Stars.

la louve
la louve

Hello! :-) I bought a golden (!) version of "Ma griffe" and I don´t know if it´s a totally different smell or a fake!? Maybe there is somebody who can answer my question? LOVE!!! ;-)

PerfumePatty
PerfumePatty

I have a very strong opinion about Ma Griffe - I HATE it! I bought a vintage eau de toilette bottle on ebay. I'm interested in trying as many vintage scents as possible because I find so many contemporary perfumes have a chemical, synthetic smell, and they don't last. There are so few of good quality, though there are exceptions (for ex: Tresor). I long for the quality of the "real" perfumes of the past, those made with more pure ingredients, the bold, long-lasting scents.

Ma Griffe is one of those classic perfumes, but alas, as I said before, I HATED it! I suppose it's because I gravitate toward sweet perfumes. Ma Griffe is not sweet, except in the sense that it's powdery. What immediately came to mind was a strong similarity to YSL's Rive Gauche, another retro French classic "fresh" green cyphre. I beleive the unpleasant note I'm reacting to may be asafoetida.

Fragrantica members describe Ma Griffe as very green, so I expected a fresh smell, but I didn't really smell fresh cut green grass. I smelled, let's see....earthy, mossy, damp, grassy mud, with some baby powder poured in it. Yeah, muddy baby powder. I don't smell citrus. Actually, when I think of it, it does smell like a sour lemon that's gone bad. And cut flowers that have been in a vase for weeks and weeks, that have gone bad. Ma Griffe made me feel very nauseous. It was a "scrubber" (had to get rid of it asap!!). Reading the reviews, it seems to smell swell on others. Go figure! Maybe the newer version is lighter, but unfortunately I had such a bad experience with the vintage that I'm not willing to try it.

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Cool. Confident. Classy Green. Fresh. Some powder, too...and the faintest hint of spice way in the background. I love this beautiful classic. Love my green scents.

icekat
icekat

I had an amazing opportunity to test both, Pure Perfume and Eau de Perfume versions of MA GRIFFE. They both share the same theme but they are definitely not the same. I have to say that I absolutely and deeply in love with both versions.

The EDP is like a walk outside on a spring morning. It is green, fresh and beautiful. The EDP appears much lighter, less complex and a bit sharper and greener than the PURE PERFUME.

The PURE PERFUME is like a sultry summer night. It is deep, rich and opulent. The PURE PERFUME is very smooth and incredibly complex but it still retains this “green” quality.

The EDP opening is lemony fresh with green notes and just a touch of aldehydes. The heart notes are mostly ylang-ylang, orange blossom and iris. The composition remains to stay beautiful and light. The oakmoss, vetiver and resins are prominent in the dry down.

The PURE PARFUME opening is rich and opulent. The aldehydes are much more present than in EDP. I also feel a touch of asoefetida. This is a strong combo but it remains very smooth and creamy. The heart notes are stunning with jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose. The composition remains to stay within the green zone but without the sharpness of EDP. The dry down has woody notes with noticeable cinnamon, resins and benzoin notes. There is a bit of honey like sweetness in the PURE PARFUME that I do not detect at all in EDP.

EDP version is like a light beautiful tune played on the piano. PURE PARFUME is like the same tune but played by a big orchestra. MA GRIFFE Pure Perfume is my mom’s signature scent. I am so happy that I followed her advice and tried both versions. If I was asked which one is my favorite, I would pick the pure perfume for its complexity and smooth velvet like finish. This was definitely one of the best purchases I made recently. I am so glad that I finally found the fragrances from Chypre Floral group that I love.

JonCologneSplash
JonCologneSplash

its disappointing that so many people today don't like overpowering perfumes, now everything that is made is so disappearing one spray and its gone, spray this and something like charlie and it will last for a long long time the way perfume/cologne is supposed to be worn, perfume afterall is your signature statement...

empressevie
empressevie

This is my mother in a bottle. It was her signature perfume, and now when I wear it I remember her and her stylishness, classiness, intelligence and absolute determination.

It is green, green gree, but unlike most greens it has a robustness and staying power and depth and sexiness that defies its first notes. Gosh, could those early perfumers really compose some amazing bombs!!!It is all quenching and cooling, and has some fire despite that!

It is definitely a fume for a strong, classy and clever lady who wants to smell feminine. Solid staying power, so it also defies lots of greens in that regard!

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

You'll never find another perfume like "Ma Griffe."

janabana123
janabana123

i love trying out new scents, which are hard to find(and smell:) i got the EDt and i have to admit - puh, thats a strong one! its oldfashioned in its first blast - reminds me of my grandmothers mix of hairspray and cream- then the citrus gets calmer, its softer and unfortunately on me it vanishes pretty fast.
still its a very demanding strong scent, that needs an certain occasion and bold outfit!!! - thats the way i personally see it.
as for me - its too bitterish herb, i wont wear it, but its pleasent. i'd describe it a spring smell.

ninja_shy
ninja_shy

I recently acquired a bottle of this. I must say, I dislike the strong, over powering initial smell. But the dry down is totally worth the wait. I find this perfume hard to wear. My family sneezes (non stop) at the initial smell of this perfume. So I put it on in the washroom with the vent on until the dry down happens. Love the soft dry down.

only ma griffe
only ma griffe

Hi all...so glad to now be a part of this forum! I've been wearing Ma Griffe since I was 16 years old...39 years ago!! I LOVE Ma Griffe (wear nothing else)...but, yes, after the reformulation years ago, sadly it changed. I have been searching for a quality perfume that would be like it ever since, yet can't find anything like it. Some perfumes I've tried have some similar properties, but in the end dissapoint. Anyone know of another perfume that has the same scent of Ma Griffe, or have you heard if Carven has any intention of reformulating Ma Griffe to the quality perfume it once was?

scent44
scent44

Please track down the pure perfume if you want to try this one. The Eau de Parfum can seem a bit harsh at first, but the dry-down, especially layered over the body cream, is very nice. However, to really "get" the scent, you need to experience the undiluted perfume. It's absolutely lovely, a perfect green chypre, sophisticated and yet fresh. I love it.

truffles
truffles

I remembered trying this in my 'youth' and never really taking to it enough to get a bottle.
Lured by reading about it's 'green', and forgetting exactly what it smelled like, I decided to try it again and found a reasonably cheap, sealed, vintage bottle of the parfum de toilette on Ebay.
To me it is very very 'dry' and simple, in that it doesn't seem to go through any great change in the drydown.
That's not bad, I can wear this, it reminds me very much of YSL Rive Gauche actually, very similar in that dry quality.

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I remembered this one from the 1960s. My sister had it and I remember the provocative (for the 60s) ads in magazines. The ladies nails scratching the man's back with green in passion. Whew ! Too much . I got a vintage bottle to try out. I was expecting it to be more sexy but it's very vintage and refined smelling to me. It's great after all the fruity-florals produced now. It seems like something for a really classy lady who keeps her passionate side hidden until the right time in private. It seems very mid-century and retro but too green to be old fashioned. You can't find good Chypres like this anymore. Never mind about trying out the lastest celebrity bimbo fruit juice, check out a vintage bottle of Ma Griff for a different experience.

Update- It's a vintage chypre perfume. I think chypres are an acquired taste and maybe not for everybody. Most of the people on this website are open to trying different fragrances and experimenting with vintage chypres.
This is what Peggy on Mad Men would have worn when she broke new ground for women in the 60s. That is the feeling of Ma Griff , retro classic.

And yes, Rosabelle, your reviews were "absolutely horrible" .

A masterpiece. Cool, green and sparkling,it persists and envelopes the wearer in a fragrance which is personal yet giving.It deserves its legendary reputation.The parfum is particularly beautiful but seems increasingly difficult to obtain.

leedubose
leedubose

This was my mother's signature fragrance when I was little. It is an elegant fragrance, and I will continue to make the effort to find it as long as it is made!

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

Wanted to like this, given its history. Sadly it was not for me. I found it sour and very powdery. On the right person this perfume would be sensational, given the notes of this perfume. The fact is you cannot please everyone and body chemistry certainly plays a factor.

Beautiful_Scent
Beautiful_Scent

I read the reviews below and I can understand why people like/love Ma Griffe and I think it is great on others skin, but unfortunately not on mine. I find it too sharp and wild and find myself punched in my nose and knocked out completely. Sorry, I wanted to like this one, but not for me at all. :-((

imoore
imoore

ma griffe the new one is a bugspray
like chematox... do not spend any money on it i regret the purchase deeply, but
the older bottle with the golden top area and plastic top is a unique frag.
Very very addictable!!!

valarian
valarian

What a beautifully put together fragrance! I came across this perfume by chance and loved the bottle so out of interest I looked it up and was impressed. There wasnt a negative comment to be seen! Having bought the perfume I was delighted with it, I too smell spring, hay, freshly cut grass, moss, Lemon and most evocatively Lily of the Valley. This perfume is strong but gentle, sharp but soft I get so many compliments when wearing it, I'm just so glad I prchased it. This one gets a 10 out of 10 from me.

aromaminx
aromaminx

what else can be said,except,green ,greener ,greenest

i'm in love

efm
efm

I love the aggressive Ma Griff, and Miss Dior , Y and more passive Cabochard and Ivoire and Paloma Picasso in winter.
Even better, they love me. I receive more compliments from this crew than from any other genre.
Ma Griff EDT used to be an economy buy at duty free outlets but is a long time since I have seen the parfum or EDP.

It is said that Ma griff was composed by Mme Gres as a scent for young girls, sporty, modern ,chic. I might add self-absorbed ? I can't think of a recent aldehydic chypre release that has been adopted by teens.

Does anyone else remember Millot's Crepe de Chine ? It too had a layer of gardenia buds and a sharp woody drydown but was not quite as astringent as Ma Griff.I have never understood why it was lost to us.

I continue to try scents from other families and enjoy them but always come back to the Chypre group, especially as I can finally pronounce the word.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Weegee is right on the money: this fragrance is so old it seems new again.

Fantastically green--fresh emerald green and dark mossiness make a contrast that can only be found in old school winners and maybe some adventurous nichery.
A pleasant floral heart basking in a green sun.
The opening is certainly aldehydic-unpleasantly soapy for me--
but there is something about Ma Griffe that keeps it from opening too bitter and too soapy to appreciate the scent in its entirety.

It's a fully precious gem--alive, with strong roots, green fluid-filled stems and a swaying shadow.

Carven MA GRIFFE is one of the most exciting perfumes I've encountered in quite some time. I am grateful to all of the Fragranticistas who praised this worthy creation to the high heavens, since on their recommendation I bought a gift set online and am thoroughly delighted!

MA GRIFFE is totally green and utterly unique. MA GRIFFE is a huge pile of freshly cut grass clippings under a bright blue sky. MA GRIFFE is a vast expanse of glistening green rice paddies in rural Japan with not another soul anywhere in sight.

This may be what I wanted CABOTINE to be, though unfortunately it never measured up to my dream: clean, green, briskly aldehydic, white floral pristine perfection...and also chypre!

MA GRIFFE effects an immediate change in perspective but without numbing the mind. To spritz on MA GRIFFE is to step outside of Plato's Cave and stare directly at the incandescent sun. I may sound like some sort of religious zealot, but MA GRIFFE simply further confirms my longstanding belief in survival of the fittest when it comes to matters of value.

There's a reason why this extraordinary creation still exists and has no even close competitors. In the perfume jungle red in tooth and claw, MA GRIFFE has managed to hold her own, to retain the claim she staked so long ago.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

I guess I am finding out what I really love in perfume: aldehydes and cyphers seem to be my favorites. I gravitate naturally towards them. I became curious about this scent after reading about a character in a book called, "White Oleader" who wore this every day. The character was terribly unpleasant, cruel, and mean...So, I was not racing to grab a bottle, just curious. After smelling this, I realized that a family member or teacher in my past must have worn it because it smelled hauntingly familiar. I looooove its fresh, green, soft, femininity. To me, it is very sexy. The way I feel sexy to be...more on the subtle side. To me, it reminds me of walking around Paris on a spring day...partly cloudy. Romantic.

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

(parfum de toilette)
I'm starting to get to know chypres. My experience with Ma Griffe shows that if you don't feel comfortable with a whole fragrance group, you just haven't found your perfume in it. I wasn't sure about chypres as a whole group and then I found Ma Griffe. (Thanks Kterhark for the introducing us to each other!)

Ma Griffe starts with a localized explosion of aldehydes and greens with slight hint of lemons. Definitely green, pretty soapy and very much in your face. Like your rival showing up for a party with a hairdo like yours but better done. And wearing the same perfume, too. An aaahhh, an immediate punch in the nose, quick move, 180 degree turn, instant change. I understand why this can be getting home after work fragrance.

This stage lasts on me less then 10 minutes, perhaps about 5, and I affectionately call it... no, I am too embarrassed, please, lean closer, I'll whisper... I call it "a green stinker" for these minutes.

Then it mellows out on me and becomes a combination of smells that cannot be experienced together. On the one hand, I feel myself lying on a lot of green grass in the forest, in the heat, tearing the blades, rubbing them against my hands together with the delicate and dangerous flowers of lily of the valley. At the same time, I smell something like steaming milk. How can that happen to be in the same place? This puzzles my mind for about an hour, and then we're on to drydown. It's a sparkling green tarragon soda from my childhood, it's a light green soap made into a shape of cinnamon roll (and with a cinnamon flavor). It's whimsical and comforting at the same time. I'm at home with maverick and I like Ma Griffe.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I put Ma Griffe in my "Love" column, but can't really remember its scent. I'm on a mission to find some again! I'd ordered a sample of it, back in the 70s. A mini bottle came in the mail. I remember loving it; I'd never smelled anything like this before. I used it all up, not thinking (in my teens) that it might one day be a reformulated, hard-to-find fragrance. Sigh. If you can get your hands on some, cherish it.

piazza dei signori
piazza dei signori

I have a vintage bottle of the authentic perfume and it was a surprise to find it. Simply delight as a perfume. Real chypree, i feel like i am outdoor, in the country, i smell fresh air coming through the trees in a clean atmosfere. Although the colour of the liquid is altered by the time, the scent smells as new as possible. It doesn' t have any synthetic, industrialy made smell, it's impossible to bring in mind something similar, so perfectly made from it's start until the drydown, which has something unexpectededly sweet and fresh at the same time. It's a fragrance that stays on the skin 24 hours and suits most women. It brings to mind high heels and furs and i agree that accompanies better a classic appearence, as if you walk out from a 50's movie. But i wear it even with athletic clothes. 14.18

seventh
seventh

I heard the story that this perfume was made by a creator who was actually anosmic. The perfume was made out of memory just like Bethoven did his music. Amazing. I doubt it is the original, unfortunatly, like most of the good old fragrances.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(parfum de toilette review)
I found this quirky gem in an obscure perfume shop at the mall. Never read white oleander, never even read a review of it. Just sniffed, liked, and bought.
The opening is like an espresso jolt to me. Love the sharp, green notes.
Can't say it's gorgeous, can't say it mysterious, and can't say it's stunning.

What I can say it that this has become a scent I wear every other day (so it's a good thing it's a cheapie). I love coming home from work, changing my clothes, and spritzing on some Ma Griffe for an instant change in mood. There is something about this scent that is infectious. It's just plain energizing. Zing!!!

vioversilver
vioversilver

This is a goddess of all that's green and fresh. Very sultry , steamy scent.

The afternoon breeze in a beautiful garden , down in the deep south...

This is a very womanly and in my opinion quite a sexy scent.
Very unique. Another retro gem!

I'm not an expert at picking out notes or anything but I think what gives
this that wonderful freshness is the sage, oakmoss and citruses combining with all its wonderful florals.

I'll be making this my own, love it!

Flora55
Flora55

I always loved Ma Griffe, and I first tried it before it became the degraded thing it is today. I just got a little bottle of the vintage Parfum, and oh boy, it is fantastic! If anyone doubts that this is one of the greats, try it in its original formula. It is true thing of beauty that any lover of green scents must experience. If only it could be restored to its former glory.

esprit2fly
esprit2fly

Mademoiselle Carven loved gardenia, jasmin and rose and she created this wonderful fragrance in 1945. She said "All what I love is green". "Ma Griffe" is fresh, green, soft and sultry. I love it, I made me this gift when I passed my final school test, Ma Griffe was my big motivation to study.

Polymath
Polymath

I love this perfume. It is a restrained, classy, dry, green scent. I agree with elgab89 about the Ivoire thing. In fact, I layer them together, sometimes with a touch of Fendi to round things out.

lillian

also, I do fine the ads a little embarassing: this is not why I wear it, nor do I feel like this when I do. it sometimes seems to me to have a scent of old-fashioned hard Christmas candy, the good kind, especially in winter; I don`t know which ingredient that would be, but perhaps it is association as I love to wear it in winter and on the holidays.

lillian

Does anyone have the true story of the remake of this perfume-that it is not the original-is this true? I love this perfume.

weegee
weegee

The neroli and oakmoss emerge fairly quickly for me, transforming the initial blast of green into something almost dark - like the moist shadows in the forest. And it's so old it seems new again. Not for everyone, to be sure. I don't wear it often but like knowing it's there on the shelf.

hathor
hathor

this brings a picture to my mind of my spinster aunt in a twinset and plastic popper pearls, in the 70's, havent tried it for a while, maybe should again as i have been developing my tastes recently, probably similar to miss dior,which is an acquired taste but growing on me fast

classic
classic

I love this scent - also Miss Dior, the only Dior one I like, and Mitsouko - so elgab89 may be on to something! It's a bit astringent and a bit rich as well - a really good deep subtle balance of fresh green notes and deeper sweet notes in the fragrance. Loved it since I was a small child

allexa27
allexa27

i didnt think that i am gonna like it ,because i read so much about it`s smell that it is old-fashion and so on but i really loved it !!it is not my style but there is something in this smell that gives me comfort and reminds me of my childhood.love it!

Aalia
Aalia

The perfume has so many notes listed
and creates such an interesting combination, many of the notes are not perceptible individually. For sure it is not sweet, as mentioned above, I do not find it so sharp as others do. The old advertisement photos try to give the idea of "pure sex" and "animalistic" tendencies..which seems to be such a contrast for this perfume. The perfume starts out very green and quickly turns into some humid garden of white flowers and or some heavy aura around you,
the fragrance feels humid--humid-is the only way I can describe it. Maybe it is the oakmoss, musk, jasmine, ylang ylang combination creating this feeling of heavyness and humidity. It is a heavy perfume if you spray too much, it is a light perfume if you only spray a little. It´s quite different from all in my collection, and I must say that I do not always enjoy it, but, I do like, appreciate, and admire it.

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I don't think my nose gets along very well with chypres in general...I've yet to find one that I'm crazy about. I bought this and wore it a few times, but just couldn't get over the sharp bite of its opening notes. I did like the soft, powdery dry-down. I gave it to my aunt and she loved it!

elgab89
elgab89

On certain levels I put it in the same category with Mitsouko, Miss Dior, Calandre, even Ivoire.
If you like this, let me just tell you, you have class! There is nothing old about it, mature - for sure. Made for an elegant woman getting over the romantic sweetness of her adolescence, now wiser and stronger. A femme fatale!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I just had to sniff this after reading "White Oleander," in which one of the characters made this her signature scent. I didn't care for it on the first couple of wearings, but after a few more sniffs, I have decided it's one of the loveliest scents. Very green. If the color green has a scent, this is it. No sweetness at all, which is a nice for a change. It's such a shame that classics like this one get lost amongst all the mediocre fruity florals in today's marketplace. This one is worth tracking down.

Ma Griffe by Carven 3.53 out of 5 based on 421 ratings and 119 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Carven Ma Griffe fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Carven Ma Griffe, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ma Griffe by Carven. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ma Griffe by Carven represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.