Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

Variations Carven for women

Variations Carven for women
dislike

Variations by Carven perfume was originally launched in 1971 and re - launched in 2000. It features the notes of carnation, lilac, raspberry tea, labdanum, hyacinth, vetiver, sandalwood, amber and musk.

Available as 50 ml EDP.

vetyver Musk Carnation French labdanum Hyacinth Sandalwood Amber Tea Lilac Raspberry

Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson
Patou For Ever

Variations Fragrance Reviews

Ninolly
Ninolly

My rating is for the vintage one: 10 +++++, was GREAT.

millascent

Forgot to add, yes there is also spicy heady lilac and or carnation over-tones. Very lovely!

millascent

I have the original mid 1970s perfume version of VARIATIONS and hauled it out to wear today. The bottle is square crystal, wrapped around the center is a gold belt bearing perfume name, a gold banded neck and plain crystal top. If you know Ma Griff of the same era, this is the same bottle and if you would smelled, you would recognize this variation of MG quite easily.

Primarily GREEN, the first impression is juicy crunchy sap green with hints of sharpish floral like marigold. Any fruits I smell are also sharpish and green: unripe pineapple and perhaps green banana. Later the perfume sweetens a little & picks up some spicy notes: according to my nose, maybe ylang ylang. Galbandum forms the backbone of the scent and somewhere maybe a rosy/leathery labandum. Highly recommended for those who like classic/vintage, are seeking a strikingly different green scent.

passionata20
passionata20

03. august 2012

finally today i have recieved the original version of "Variations" in 30ml parfum bottle. I also have this recent version of "Variations". About this modern edition i totally agree with Olga, nice, but nothing special. Great for summer, middle notes remind me of one of the summer Escada editions. The tea note saves it here from turning into ultra sweet fragrance. Low sillage and sadly not of the greatest lasting power. Opens as a sweet raspberry with hyacint, smells a bit like bubble gum, or candy. Then a tea note helps to develope this fragrance to another level. But still after couple of hours you have to smell it close on your skin and it smells then mostly of raspberry dilluted juice (typical Escada indeed, in a way of "sexy graffiti")

BUT the ORIGINAL VINTAGE version is something very different indeed!!!
Don´t know if it is because i have a pure parfum version, but it indeed smells different. Yes, it is also sweet, BUT a grown up sweety. There is a rose definitly in vintage one and i suspect that not raspberry but strawberry. Upon opening it is really sharply sweet, but after a while developes into cross of sweet and airy fragrance with lilac note i guess. It does smell a bit like lilac perfume in the middle notes. And here is that magical thing that i love about perfumes: when sniffed on a distance it smells more of strawberries (sweet) but cloder to the skin it is fresh. I slightest hint of powder is present in the drydown, but it doesn´t ruin anything at all! Just wonderful!
I actually like both versions very much.

olga1780
olga1780

It took me about three wears to ultimately figure out how I feel about this perfume. The first time, I tested it I could not smell anything at all, so I left it alone for a few days. I guess, the reformulation is not the same as original, because while nice, I would not put it in the "stunner" category. Variations is a very soft,sensual fragrance. Of all the notes I only detect raspberry and green tea....well, and maybe a hint of amber. For being such a tender perfume and giving the first impression of being very watered down, it actually has pretty decent sillage and better than average longevity. I think it's a pleasant casual perfume for hot summers, but definitely not a masterpiece. Something you may enjoy while having but would not purchase again.

stacia79
stacia79

I got a random sample of this...tried it on before bed. I'm laying here, sniff sniff sniff on my arm. I can't sleep because I have to know...where have I smelled this before? It is so unique. Sweet, but also deep and rich. I'm racking my brain trying to remember if I've ever known someone who had a bottle of Variations.

Then it hit me...I'm pretty darn sure this is the same scent as my Electric Youth perfume from back in the 80s!!! I haven't smelled EY in years so I don't know for sure. But scents can open up memories you didn't even know you had.

karlee79
karlee79

I used to have this! and I have no idea where I came across it or how I eneded up with it, but all I know is it was gorgeous, it was very sensual, and made me feel like a woman, as I was quite a young lady when I first started wearing it. I have been trying to get my hands on it. I remeber the tea note well, I think it resembles flowerbomb a bit to be honest, but like a warmer and deeper version of flowerbomb, it is sweet and a bit tart. I long for this perfume and would like to get my hands on another bottle.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

If it's the same formulation as the one released in 1971, then it's a stunner. Otherwise ?????

imoore
imoore

It is not really an oriental for me, but a light fruity floral in a nice not very sweet way.

Fruity floral for the over 30 generation.

worth a try

The labdanum is not detectable unfortunatelly.
Lasting power everage, sillage everage, overall everage for a day to day use.
You are not going to find a thing to anchor this frangrance in the note?!

Better than Fleurs d`Orlane,
but very similar.

Nobody tried this yet here? It is a very modern Carven! Most of their perfumes are classics! I like it actually!

This one is quite modern for the Carven house! It is a sensual perfume.

Variations by Carven 4.40 out of 5 based on 20 ratings and 11 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Carven Variations fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Carven Variations, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Variations by Carven. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Variations by Carven represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.