Designers » C » Floral « Groups

dislike

I have it: 679 I had it: 791 I want it: 358 My signature: 15

herbal
1881 Cerruti for women Videos
1881 Cerruti for women Pictures 1881 Cerruti for women Pictures 1881 Cerruti for women Pictures 1881 Cerruti for women Pictures 1881 Cerruti for women Pictures 1881 Cerruti for women Pictures 1881 Cerruti for women Pictures

Fragrance that became a classic of this designer’s house was launched in 1995. Nino Cerruti, was known as "the youngest of the great classics," opened the first Cerruti boutique in Paris in 1967, on rue Royale. The first women's line appeared in 1976, achieving the reputation of impeccably elegant style. Cerutti perfumes are made of finest high-quality materials. That is why the perfumer chose a "fleur de lin" note that is Nino Cerruti's signature flower. Perfume was created by Claire Cain. Bottle is designed by Serge Mansau.

Mimosa iris Violet Freesia Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Bergamot Rose

Coriander Tuberose iris Chamomile Galbanum Jasmine Brazilian Rosewood Orange Blossom Geranium Narcissus

Sandalwood Amber Musk Vanilla Cedar

1881 Fragrance Reviews

SuzanneRonelle
SuzanneRonelle

Oh my word! This is my favourite perfume yet. Blind buy because of all the lovely reviews on the sight. I am so bad at discerning individual notes in a perfume, but this is a pared down, elegantly herbal fragrance. It is uplifting, fresh, strong. It isn't overtly sexy or sweet or flowery but it has a certain something - I think it might be described as a well behaved wow-factor;-) It might not be to everyone's taste but I'm incredibly happy to have found it.

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

Cerruti 1881 is a subdued, dusky floral. It has a dry, ever so slight sweetness, probably a result of the powdery violet and iris and the delicious mimosa. It's decidedly feminine in an understated way, equally appropriate for a woman who likes getting her hands dirty in the garden as a woman without a chip in her nail polish. Elegantly earthy.

silvia d
silvia d

wow!! my grandma has it and i sniff it every single time i go to her place :) And yes! you can find a clasyy perfume at a very good price!

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Cerruti 1881. I’d never heard of it until a generous Fragrantican opened her wardrobe for a giveaway of decants, and I was the lucky recipient. The notes intrigued me as a floral scent like nothing I’d seen before—and indeed, this is a floral scent like nothing I’ve smelled before.

It is quite herbal, especially to start with; the chamomile and I think sandalwood create a dreamy, relaxing scent that is crisp and warm at the same time. It almost has a fougere feel to it. It is slightly masculine; I find it appealing in a similar way to a bergamot note (although it doesn’t smell like bergamot—just a similar “feel”). Shortly thereafter, at about 20 minutes, I can smell a lightly indolic fruity-sweetness that I believe is the mimosa—a bright yellow hay-like floral, unpretentious and somehow pastoral. There is also a faint powdery, rooty smell—it’s the iris, I’m sure, smelling as it always does to my nose a bit like orris root. There is a light muskiness at the first hour, and the other notes are fading into the background.

It smells like clean but lived in skin: a woman who just returned from a walk in the country, running her hands through the tops of tall grasses and wildflowers, and who is now hanging the morning’s laundry on a line in the bright golden sun and fresh breeze. This is so incredibly calming to me, it would be perfect for a day off without any worries in the world; not a good fit for my busy day at work!

Sillage is fair, longevity quite poor, sadly; it is fading on my skin after less than 2 hours. A great scent for those wanting to add a “floral” to the wardrobe but who dislike more traditional floral compositions; especially for those who lean toward slightly masculine scents, or who enjoy a more herbal or fougere style. Even with the poor longevity, I may hunt up a full bottle!

EDIT: Ok, it's been more like 4 hours and while the scent is faint, it's not as faint as I'd thought. It rises up periodically--especially if I get moisture on my skin, washing my hands etc. It is not as complex, and seems to be more of just a simple musk, but a musk with a dryness that I associate with aldehydes. Interesting, and still good, this scent is growing on me.

mystica
mystica

I remember this scent being softer, sweeter and more powdery when it first came out. Nowadays sandalwood is very prominent and the scent is sharp. It has almost a masculine vibe to it which is strange.

Deepblack
Deepblack

I was twenty five with this perfume came out. The smell of this reminds me of dressing up, going out, parties, dates snogging and feeling so young and confident. I bought a bottle recently and it really transports me back to that time. The power of fragrance!! By the way I still love it!!

Light_Blue
Light_Blue

It was the first sniff when I realised that this parfume is just not for me. On my skin as well gets heavy, too sweet. It has something inside I just don't like, but I do not know what is it. I think it is for little elder woman..but this is just my opinion.

I' editing myself. I's the camomille, I don't like the smell and the tea either. And ny grandmother used to have it, that's why.

JaxTheMinx
JaxTheMinx

Someone here remarked on the marbled cap versus the golden cap. I've only ever seen pics of the marbled cap but just acquired a blind-buy one with a golden cap. I cannot yet remark on the sillage. The staying power of this EDT on my dry skin is negligible - sadly. As for the fragrance I was expecting to find, it's totally off the mark (of MY expectation mind you). I had hopes of a very powdery retro fragrance. This is certainly reminiscent of the late 80's/early 90's and truly an easy to wear and non-offensive one.

Still, it's not entirely what I had hoped and it has too little body for my liking. I also get a bit of a burnt rubber smell 20 minutes in. Bleh. I will give it a few more chances in warmer weather. It would make for a great office wear fragrance. Mild and timid... I cannot at this premature time separate the elements into citrus/floral, etc. I do not however detect any citrus on my skin though - not that I mind citrus.

UPDATE: Put this to the test on my German husband's rather picky nose. He said it smelled cheap on me. Boo-hoo. Now I need to find a new home for 1881.

Rianna
Rianna

A firm favourite!! This leaves a delicate trail that you want to follow. It is pure femininity captured in a little bottle.
It's subtle, but speaks volumes. Everyone asks what am I wearing because you can't resist sniffing it. It's simply a beautiful clean smell that is truly unique and I can't imagine it ever going out of style.
1995 or not, it really doesn't smell dated or old at all. If anything it smells so much nicer than a lot of these new fragrances that, let's face it, just all roll into one half the time.
Nothing smells like this though. Elegant clean and stylish with no effort. Your male friends will keep wanting to sniff you and your female friends will want to know what you're wearing! Keep it a secret!!

musk and honey
musk and honey

On my skin it is very similar to J`adore Dior. When I opened the review to read what they have in common, it`s: jasmine, freesia, violet, rose, musk, lily of the valley, bergamot, vanilla, cedar, tuberose. On my skin they are almost identical.

MontrealGirl
MontrealGirl

My husband has worn Cerruti's men colognes for years so when we were in a perfume store he suggested I smell the ladies versions. I liked 1881 for its freshness but I find the more I wear it the more I love it. It fits perfectly on a summer's day with wearing light cotton or linen. It feels light, fresh, comforting, not too floral, it has the powdery smell of violets, is not too metallic, not too artificial.

I found this description of it that I think sums it up well: "The dainty floral smell of rose, violet, narcissus and tuberose, with its fresh metallic-green opening, clothes a lovely natural fleur-de-lin effect, settling comfortably into cozy sandalwood. …That is why the perfumer chose a "fleur de lin" (flax blossom) note that is Nino Cerruti's, and his alone.

The designer Nino Cerutti said "I love linen because of its freshness, its enveloping features and its enhanced development, as well as its compelling sense of familiarity which identifies and complements my lifestyle."

ShroomRavioli
ShroomRavioli

It's a nice, very flowery, a bit citrusy. Not really my cup of tea, it smells like something for more mature ladies.

Lily2911
Lily2911

There are certain perfumes you want to love but they don't love you.. Cerruti is one of them: I thought I would love this perfume but when I tested it today, i only got a harsh, terrible "soap/detergent" smell. I did not smell the mimosa, nor the freesia which are my best loved flowers. Only an insect repellent kind of smell like one of the other reviewers described unfortunately. I guess it is probably the chamomile which is conflicting with my skin chemistry. I asked advise to my lovely Suhaesa who is an expert in layering (cfr her interesting posts re layering) if she was inspired to give me tips and she did. I tried today to layer it with my Valentina and that worked fine. So I am not giving up yet Cerruti but she is definitively not an easy one for me. I am sure this must be a wonderful scent on others, if I read all these beautiful reviews..aahh I hoped the same but this one is not for me, snif.

700poodles

I'll repeat myself: it's one of a kind. Whenever I wear it I feel as if I'd stepped down from a portrait of a lady done in pastel.

Musky4
Musky4

For me, this is a truly trans-seasonal fragrance. Possibly the most trans-seasonal perfume that I own. I've worn this in the winter as well as on a summer's evening and it works just as well each time (although I wouldn't advise it for a very hot or humid day).
It's both heavy and fresh and is sadly often overlooked in my collection, even though it is a very unique and long-lasting perfume. I think the reason for this is the fact that it can be worn at any time of year and doesn't immediately spring to mind for any specific season or mood… However, whenever I wear Cerruti 1881 I feel extremely classy, feminine and elegant. I find it to be complex and well-blended. A very high quality perfume without a doubt. It lasts amazingly well on my skin and has tremendous sillage. I wore this once when I was working in a small office and a colleague walked in and immediately noticed the scent and remarked on it, asking what it was. When I told her, she was very surprised and told me that she had the same perfume but that it didn't smell like that on her (I gathered from her tone that she meant this as a compliment).
When I wear this I can literally smell it on myself all day long. It retains its sharpness and just lasts and lasts, to the point where it can give me a headache by the end of the day (might have to experiment with spraying it somewhere other than on my neck). This perfume amplifies enormously with body heat, so if you happen to apply it before a gym session, you will smell AMAZING afterwards!
Just a shame that the matching body lotion doesn't smell as good as the perfume… One thing I have been wondering is this: What's the difference between the bottles with the marble-effect lids and those with the plain metallic bronze lids? I've had both and I'm sure the first one I had was marble effect and my current one is metallic.

Velvet_Touch
Velvet_Touch

A great piece of art by Cerruti. A floral fragrance that combine woodsy noted. Very elegant and cool in the same time. I bought it last year from Strawberrynet and since then, I am in love with it. I would wear it every day...I don't know if any woman could dislike it, honestly...

Enigma7510
Enigma7510

So many people love this fragrance. All the components include many of my favorite scents, so it should have been ideal for me. Alas, I feel like I have just sprayed OFF insect repellent all over me. I think it s the herby noxious camomile, and it doesn't dry down either. Maybe this would smell great on others, but on me it is making me sick. I'm going to take a shower now just to get it off my skin!!

Hellita
Hellita

This is one of the first perfumes I ever bought when I was around twelve and had no clue. Yet I bought it and wore it, and I think it somehow was a comforting scent to me, since I decided to wear it. I know now that I've probably walked around smelling very powdery like a more mature woman when I wore this. Haha! I do remember one thing about it though, that my grown-up male dance teacher totally smelled my neck during an instruction and said it smelled fantastic. That's pretty nice feedback, but I remember I thought he was a bit weird - since I was twelve and he must have been around 30+.
If I would've tried it on today don't know if I would have enjoyed it that much, as my taste in frags has evolved a lot since then.

piggyluv
piggyluv

I love this scent-on me it smells like bergamot and chamomile on a white flower and musk base. The smells blend to remind me of a spa, upscale tea shop or an expensive aromatherapy candle. Although it is feminine, I think it might be lovely on a man. This is a finely crafted scent.

islands
islands

strong...noticeable...interesting....I am still looking for my signature scent..It is possible that I have just found it...It's warm and clean...a little bit sweet.... very powderyyyyy.... I feel good having it on me

norlyh
norlyh

A very, very powdery scent. The powder seems to overwhelm the citrus and rose, which could be lovely, but it's like the citrus and rose notes are trying to rise above a cloud of sinus searing powder. Now I love a powdery note in my fragrances but it has to play a supporting role lending a softness and an air of class to the floral composition. The powder in Cerruti 1881 is way too prominent and forceful for my taste.

lirael00
lirael00

This one is truly beautiful. It'so lady like. To me smells like oranges covered in cammomile in the best possible way. It lasts long and it gives me a confidence that I can move mountains even though it's a gentle smell. And the pretty pink bottle is nice too. I think it's suitable for all ages. So, get one.

LisaMari
LisaMari

Smells like a sun warmed Satsuma. This is just full of orange blossom - that scent is all I detect in this but its nice.

ivis
ivis

I love this scent, it has all what i like floral, powdery, woody, yellow floral, green. I never got bored wearing this fragance. It's perfect for spring, like the very first days of spring (it smells like that) it can be used night and day. Love it. I never thought it would smell so good and my dad bought it for me. love it

Nil3
Nil3

Pure headache to me. I swear my head just gave me a little 'kick' of pain writing this. So awful.

juicysweet24
juicysweet24

I just discovered this perfume via a sample, and I love it! Although the staying power leaves a little something to be desired(at least on me), it smells so fresh! Plus my boyfriend noticed it and commented on my good taste in perfumes! I will be adding this scent to my collection.

mashuda
mashuda

I only bought this because I loved the mens version so much...... and it didn't dissapoint, but the woodsy-ness in the mens version is far better than the female version. This fragrance kinda reminds me of paul smiths women, but paul smiths women turns bad on my skin for some reason. Cerruti 1881 doesn't and I like it a lot. A very pleasant perfume. I'm glad I bought it :-)

To me this smells more woody than floral.

Ouch!
Ouch!

Despite the abundance of heavy florals in this fragrance, it manages to stay light, clean, somewhat fresh and very comforting.

The softer flowers like iris, violet, freesia and rose completely take over the heavy hitters like jasmine, tuberose, geranium, lily-of-the-valley which is unexpected.

This has a slight romantic tone, a clean out-of-the-shower feel. It's hard to pick out one certain note. Flowers are so complex to my nose so when you cram in as many as 10 flowers into one perfume and it still smells seamless, I applaud that.

For an EDT this to me, has the perfect amount of sillage and longevity, it just sits on the cusp of being very noticeable and subtle. I usually like hard hitters but this fits into the "wearable at any time" category. It's pretty impressive and of course, the 90's are a golden decade of perfumery in my opinion.

Despite me feeling that this is a teeeensy bit outdated and mumsy, I still adore it. It's like a comforting hug from my mother and has a nostalgic feel.

It's very hard to describe so I'll leave that to the true floral lovers, but to sum up, this is a very well rounded floral fragrance that is easy to fall in love with.

carrieruble
carrieruble

After reading these reviews, I decided to go out on a limb and try this one. It DOESN'T disappoint! It's fresh, elegant, and lovely. It has a semi-sweet or maybe more accurately a dry sweet configuration that is quite refreshing. A little goes long way but it's not overpowering at all. It will draw compliments if you wear it correctly (not put too much on at once).

rosy-fingered Eos
rosy-fingered Eos

I have finally purchased it after 20 yrs of wondering and choosing other, more distinctive perfumes.

The opening notes are fresh, invigorating, maybe even a bit sour (bergamot?) . Later the scent becomes sweeter, more powdery. Then the woodsy notes develop, although they never dominate the bouquet.

This is one of those complex scents, in which it's difficult to tell all the ingredients apart, there's no a single note that would dominate the composition in either phase. The lasting power and silage is astounding in a perfume so subtle.

It's a very feminine, fresh, elegant and classy perfume and yet a bit official, in a clean, non-offending way. I would say it's 'safe' fragrance, I cannot imagine anyone would call it inappropriate, no matter the situation (for an evening out 1881 could be considered a modest option).

kingdomforaperfume
kingdomforaperfume

I remember this one from my dorm. My roommate had it. I smelled it right away when I moved in, on a fine crisp September morning. The leaves were already starting to fall. The bottle is great, I thought. The smell - I should have known then and there I am in possession of a great personal taste :) for having liked this one so much.
My roommate was dying to get Laura Biagiotti's "Laura", and spraying herself with 1881 in the meantime - a modest substitute - she said. ... another man's treasure.

reborn
reborn

This is one of my few perfume loves .I cant explain how i love it.It was love from first sniff i think 15 years ago and it doesnt matter how many perfumes i use through the years i always come back to this one from time to time.It is love that i can never forget.It fills me up with romance,every time i sniff it i have smile on my face.It is so classy and innocent and romantic.I cant tell what note i do smell ,to my nose is just nice creamy flowery and one of a kind.The only thing that i dont like is the lasting poewr,but nothing,i will reapply often and thats it!

SoapyPrettyFloral
SoapyPrettyFloral

Juliana6 You know what, you're right. I shouldn't have called anyone a fool, I was just taking out my frustration out on you guys for no reason. I apologize for my crude review but I truly was disappointed with the perfume I received so I'm trying to save someone the rude awakening I got when I received this perfume.

Juliana6

SoapyPrettyFlo, I would think twice before I'd call somebody a fool.
It's here about the fragrances and about how people perceive them. If you don't like this scent, you can write a negative review in a constructive way without insulting others.

This scent won't be appreciated by strong scent addicts however it's classic and timeless. Flowers, fruits and a hint of freshness.

It was a blind buy.
Something strange happened to me when I smelt this - I wanted to cry because I finally felt "at home". It's like you were hugging somebody you thought lost. A warm, "loving", caressing fragrance.
The opening is like the scent of an open air flower market- all kinds of fresh cut flowers, all colors, different scents, wind and sun warmth over it. Then comes the coriander- green, spicy but not disturbing.
When it settles down, I feel powdery, soft and clean scent. It waves, lingers and seduces.
"Parfum des reves" ( Fragrance of Dreams) ( an association with E. Morgenstern's fantasy novel "Night Circus", the illusionist Celia could wear this one).
I was looking for my summer scent, today I have found it.

terezie
terezie

It is like slipping into white cotton pants after taking a shower on a sunny afternoon. Even though it is not exactly a fresh fragrance I definitely prefer wearing it in Summer. I think it is the mimose, chamomile and freesia that gives it this after tanning lotion feel. It reminds me of Summer in Italy.
Don't overdose though it is a strong and long lasting fragrance.

Scent mystery
Scent mystery

I gifted this to my wife today, and she is in love with it. Floral and non offensive. Its creamy and feminine. Unique with a good longevity. Overall a very good choice....

melzy
melzy

Cerruti 1881 is one of my new major favourites. Before I joined Fragrantica, I’d never even heard of this designer. To me, 1881 incorporates a whole raft of different feelings: femininity, softness, comfort. There’s a vibe that is somewhere between shower-fresh and clean laundry. A blooming bouquet, a warm breeze. The longevity is surprisingly good, and the sillage is moderate, but not in your face. As I look out my window right now, at the rolling rural landscape on this crisp and clear autumn day, 1881 is making me feel like spring is nearly here.

gratz73
gratz73

Is it just me or has this fragrance changed? I first started to wear it in 2008-09, it was a gift brought from Germany. It was incredible, the compliments I was getting were nonstop. But, right after I finished that bottle a year later, I bought one here in the USA and the smell was definitely not the same. So, I wondered if I should buy one from Italy, which I did, but again NOT the same. In fact, I kept buying bottle after bottle after bottle in hopes that maybe I'd find one that was fresher or something... but nothing. The difference that I notice in the smell is that I remember it to be less powdery and more creamy, very light, very soft, incredibly feminine. I don't know, they probably changed the formula or something because the scent I smell now is way, way too powdery especially at first spray it smells heavy and almost of alcohol, but then it softens up but still not to the creaminess and softness I remember. It's too powdery, if only they would lighten up on that it would be perfect. I still wear it, sometimes I mix it with Chloe' and I still get many compliments but I miss the original formula. Is there anyone out there who has noticed this change? Sometimes I wonder if my own body chemistry has changed and the perfume is still the same.

lulu7898
lulu7898

All I can say is pretty, very pretty. It dosen't last long at all unfortunately.

Lovejaiphursaphir

Tried this again this morning. Only lightly dabbed a tiny amount on. Still smells like bug spray. I had to wash it off at once. It is possible eBay seller sent a bad bottle..you never can be sure when you purchase this way.

Lovejaiphursaphir

I must have a bottle gone bad. (Purchased on eBay) on me it starts WAY to loud and has a chemical smell to it. Black pepper times a hundred. I will try again...

TamsinR
TamsinR

At first spray it is sweet and powdery, with an herbal/pollen edge (probably the chammomile). As it mellows a bit, I can really smell the mimosa and iris, and the rose becomes more pronounced. The narcissus note lasts right into the drydown, which is woody and powdery. I don't wear it often, because there are others I like more, but still I think it is beautiful. I bought it at Sephora's in Paris and it always brings back memories of that trip.

Namida
Namida

Cerruti 1881 is a quiet fresh floral - prominently featuring chamomille and wild daffodils - on a subtle sandalwood base. I really appreciate the field of wildflowers inspiration, but for me it's really too quiet and for some reason I feel unconfortable wearing it, paradoxally; it's like when you feel agitated and people tell you:"hey, calm down, have a cup of chamomile! " and of course the chamomile tea does nothing for you to feel better... I prefer the male version, quite unisex if you ask me, with its more substantial woods and the summer breeze.

Anyway, this is really unique and, while being the incarnation of the color pastel yellow - pale, a bit cold and restrained in a smart way, like a pastel tailleur worn by a fascinating woman in early spring, think of Tippi Hedren in Hitchcock's "The Birds" - it isn't faint at all, so it's a good value for the money, and I guess springy and relaxing for the rest of the world!

Soie
Soie

I had high hopes for this one.

I tried wearing it on several occasions, but it has an the overwhelming aroma of the chemicals used to dry clean clothes... at one point it even seemed to aggravated my asthma, a condition I've had since childhood, but which is rarely bothersome except when I inhale dust or the scent of strong cleaning fluids.

craftymom
craftymom

This is one of my top five. I can wear this anywhere. Fresh, clean, feminine and beautiful. It lasts all day. A great scent to wear to work. On me, it's very floral with the smell of line dried laundry in a very good way. It feels friendly, sincere and honest. It's not sexy or edible. It's not glamorous or powerful. It's just nice and I like that a lot of the time.

ginawadsworth
ginawadsworth

I really like this powdery beauty. It is so unlike the usual scent I go for. So innocent, delicate and airy. It is what I hoped JPG Classique would have been like. Gentle, soft and utterly feminine in a girlish way. Certainly I think any age can wear it, but cannot see the power hungry business women doing so. Instead of trying to be so offensive to the opposite sex, this would be the secret weapon. a truely feminine scent on someone who has taken on man's world but has not forgotten where she came from.

Tintorra
Tintorra

Smells like the make up from my grandmother. It is just old fashion powder. No freshness or whatsoever, nothing soapy nor washing powder.... I missed the flowers too. What I said just smelled like grandmother's make up on me

orlagh5
orlagh5

I am sad to say I don't like 1881. I read so much about it and had such high expectations. I was impressed enough with the opening albeit with much more bergamot than I was expecting. It was refreshing and seemed perfect for spring. After about twenty minutes the smell changed to floral still nice. However about an hour after the first spray the scent stops being pleasant on my skin and changes to resembling a cleaner of sort. It catches me and i just want to wash it off at this stage. So disappointing but we can't love them all I suppose.

foxy_princess
foxy_princess

Cerruti is French Princess captured in a bottle. She is elegant, feminine, delicate as a feather but carries herself with sensuality. She likes to wear freshwater pearls, drapes her skin with champagne coloured silks and velvets, and bathes in a bathtub full of rose petals every evening. She spends her mornings sipping chamomile tea on her Parisian balcony. She has a gentle aura about her and her smile is captivating and inviting. This is what Cerruti is all about, and most of all this is how Cerruti makes me feel, whenever I wear her. A fragrance that will forever be timeless, and will always have a place in my heart.

curvealert
curvealert

This is a well crafted classic; feminine, floaty and floral!

It's a bit on the strong, intrusive side for me, and a little while after I tested it I could detect the "washing powder" aroma which could be off putting to some, and in this case me included. The lasting power was impressive on my skin.

For those who like floral, powdery fumes, this would be a great spring time scent for the office.

natalia777
natalia777

I had mixed feelings about this perfume. I wanted this perfume and didn't want it. After I tried a lot of different perfumes, I realized how much this perfume is unique. I'm glad that I finally got it. This perfume is simple and brilliant at the same time. This perfume embodies the undeniable femininity. But femininity in this fragrance is not loud. Femininity in this fragrance is deep and majestic.

trueblue19
trueblue19

I remember this being a very nice perfume but obviously it's no longer what it used to be...sigh. I just tried a recent EDT of 1881 Cerruti, It's a much watered down version of what I knew of as a little girl. The first few seconds are nothing but alcohol and that makes me wonder if I've got a bad sample. The good thing is this perfume gets stronger and better as it develops. But still, all I can tell is some dried chamomile (as in your herbal tea bag), traces of mimosa with faint amber, musk and other politely sweet woodsy notes, quite linear. It's well behaved: clean, feminine, more like a good skin scent and would make a safe choice as a daytime office perfume but NO this is NOT what it's supposed to be. In my memory it was much deeper, classy and sophisticated.

eludiastar
eludiastar

I just bought this today as a blind buy based on the reviews on here. It was a pleasant blind buy but I'm still to make my mind up about the fragrance, I certainly don't dislike it but I'm also not in love with it.
When you first spray it on it has a very fruity but musky smell, it almost reminds me of watermelon at first but not quite as sweet. Then when it settles it turns into a light powdery musky scent with almost a hint of ocean to it.
The sillage is good, & as I'm typing this I keep getting a waft of it, I do like it!

Forbiddenjade
Forbiddenjade

Cerruti 1881. Year 24 of my life. Ahhh....
Femininity has never been so sophisticated yet simple, captivating in its mysterious allure.
Spray on and instantly you will be taken to the world of a Woman, sensual, innocent and at the same time conscious about her sexual power, confident but vulnerable and incredibly charming.
If elegance could wear a perfume this would be the one.
Timeless, ageless, pure beauty in a bottle.

To buy, no doubts about it. Just be aware it works best on slightly acidic/alkaline PH.
Only then the secret nature of this fragrance will unveil to you, in all its glorious enchant.

Very feminine, delicate and light, great lasting power. I bought it for my mother and I love to sniff around her when she wears it.

marthaelena
marthaelena

If you are looking for a fragrance in a good price and with very good sillage, give Cerruti 1881 a chance.
Regretfully, I have to say that this is not for not me).
This was a blind buy an for some reason I thought I was going to love it.
It was not too expensive so I am planning to give it away or exchange it.

b.w.1185
b.w.1185

Despite some of the negative reviews on here I decided to buy this perfume without having smelled it, and I'm glad I did. It's very light, airy & floral...kind of sweet but in a floral way, not fruity. The smell of roses is prominent to me. Maybe it depends on body chemistry but I think it smells great!

Green.colver
Green.colver

I have a love and hate relationship with this one. Sometimes I like it but still I find this out of style

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

Very clean and fresh scent, powdery, but it doesn't overwhelm or choke you. During the winter I miss gardening...the smell of the dirt, the smell of the sun on the boulders lining the pond. The scent of woodland flowers after the rain, and the zest of an orange peel. This is a keeper, get it while you can, if you want something classic and unforgettable.

Mickey Tollerraine

Finally I got my order and sprayed it directly, from that moment I fell in love with 1881, and I've been thinking How I lived as not being aware of its existence since 1995 .Anyway, there is no need to sorrow, everyone makes some mistakes in some segments of their lives..

As a white floral lover, I am really satisfied with it and thinking to live with 1881 for many years..It made the innocent little girl hiding in the depths of my soul, Happy, very happy...

Mickey Tollerraine

Respecting the most of the opinions here are very positive, I gave an order right now from a internet store. As a perfume maniac, I asked my self how i missed it and never discovered it till now, look almost all reviews say it is perfect. I didn't get a chance to spray it from a tester , caus all perfumery shops here said to me that 1881 was very old perfume and it wasnt being imported anymore. Anyway, I am waiting excitedly to get the bottle asap.

Jvs3005
Jvs3005

Allthough I like it, it's a rather masculine scent on my skin and my bf complained about the smell of stinky feet when I was around, it it sure weren't my feet :(.

700poodles

This is such a classic, and one of its kind. I cannot describe it in olfactory terms, it's.. classical ballet performed on a marble floor.

ozz1980
ozz1980

smell of an angel's sweat. structured a masculine based idea on feminine sexappeal. whenever i smell this turns me on and i can't resist.

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

For what it is worth...I used to work in a small perfumerie and I remeber this to be a scent I liked. I don't know why I never purchased it, but I used to spritz it often.

suhaesa
suhaesa

the essence of romance ,sophistication, and purity ..and light sensuality ..its a modern medley of heavenly light yet charming and captivating scents .. has a confident yet serene and mellow character...its unique in its own way.. there are those who swear by it ..for me i respect it as an individual success. and it had its days with me but it takes a certain frame of mind for me to be in the mood of Waring it ..i have it there in the back shelves for occasional use, for nostalgia of olden days ,it reminds me of a certain date, and every time i ware it i remember that person ..
its a classy perfume that made its stance in the perfume world.. a melody of beautiful connotations of so many light yet evoking notes that all play a beautiful symphony..its a liberating scent..free in spirit and soul..its fresh and uplifting ..

rating 4.5 out 5

magdalena.k
magdalena.k

gorgeous, timeless, soothing. perfectly balanced. strong but airy. not my personal signature but i'll always love it. one of my mum's favourites; all the decorative pillows in my house used to smell cerruti 1881 when i was a kid.

LadyRogue

I want to apologise in advance to all the other REAL reviewers who come to Fragratica to review a perfume and not someone else's perception of it :)

Dear sweetnspicey, I am not here to question your impression of a scent, but since you addressed me and my review in public, let me answer once in public and then you may refer any further *insights* to my private message box since this is not a chat-line :)

As I am sure you must know, the perception of scents differs from person to person and chemistry to chemistry.
The notes in Cerruti 1881 are however a fact. And among them are: coriander, musk sandalwood etc etc. all items one finds on an oriental bazaar (I know, I was there) so, sorry if you see it differently. But that's the beauty of being on a public review site. People want to hear other peoples impressions. And if someone said it reminded them of pearl earrings, well far be it from me to criticise that person. Who am I to be so bitter and judgemental that I begrudge someone else's impressions?

One can read and ignore what is of no value to you. One doesn't need to address other reviewers with a --
"I have a bottle! And I know all there is to know about it and my impression is the ONE and only RIGHT one! You must be smelling the wrong bottle etc" -- attitude. That approach to other peoples opinions and reviews is bad form and does not belong on a site where we are to review scents, not other people.

Evesophie
Evesophie

I love this perfume, I have worn it for many years. I mostly wear it in the day. I find it fresh, distinctive and I have received good comments when wearing it. It's a favourite for me.

LadyRogue

An unusual diva. A flower garden surrounded by an oriental bazaar. Flowers and spices mixed into a thick, honey-ish rich golden fragrance that smells quite unique. It's not a demure scent and needs women who like to make an (unusual) statement.

It's different in an almost alchemistic way. A mixture of many different things that went: "pooof" and here it is: in a round bottle and smelling mysteriously.
The notes are so intermingled it's hard to discern them, it doesn't matter. This scent was made to mix with itself and the wearer.

Lets sniff and try to discern: Violets and mimosa on a lavish bed of sandalwood. Amber and iris, than it becomes one wonderful mix of a sophisticated 'scent-aura' that is very different and alluring. I can't compare it to anything I know. That in itself makes this a beauty to have. It's different, in a good way!

Silage is: "I am a beautiful mystery that surrounds you" -- Longevity is: "I am pretty and mysterious for at least a whole day!"

I love its unique composition and note development that although I can't discern it completely, I can detect its 'movement' in the air. My little mystery in an orb! : ) I will repurchase.

Test on the skin first! This Lady is moody and might not evolve to its true beauty on some chemistries. Good luck! : )

::PS:: If I have to compare it (this occurred to me today after I got another wonderful whiff of it whilst driving) it has a faint memory of CK Eternity.
Imagine the Eternity notes and add lots of rich flower & spice notes. But it smells much much better than that! It's Eternity Italian style. Uniquely pretty and infinitely elegant. I love it.

jfinn
jfinn

Love this perfume, smell good on my skin, and always get a lot of comments. Very elegant.

Light, but intensive floral fragrance with a strong sillage.

Most of all I feel the freesia, orange blossom and violet notes in this fragrance.

Unfortunately, on me this fragrance doesn't want to open impressive like it opens on some people. On me it usually opens soapy clean and sharp. So I have to say that it's not my cup of tea, but it can smell impressive on others.

tubita
tubita

I think 1881 can be worn in any season and any age. It is so beautiful and classy perfume! Just bought for my mum and will add my collection also. It stays longgggggg time. I really love this stuff lots!!

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

A good standby perfume for Spring! Yes it takes time to get used to it. A nice unique fragrance. Got some nice comments. Wore it many years ago, (when I was in my 20s). I still think it it feminine enough for any age group though. Will visit it again.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

On me this smells a lot like an acidic flowery linen. It gets a bit better after it dries down, but not my cup of tea. It never really develops anything but, an acidic note on my skin.

Fizzy
Fizzy

This fragrance objectively seen has a very high quality of smell, excellent radiance and longevity. What can I smell - there is a one prevalent distinctive note which makes this fragrance smelling like nothing others - but don't ask me, what it is. Maybe coriander tea or cinnamon - no idea. The price is fantastic for such a fine fragrance. It deserves a long try. Perfect for warm and hot days, I find this fragrance cold - cold means like cold colors (for winter and summer types of woman)

miss mills
miss mills

This fragrance is a bit of a mystery to me - there are elements that endear me to it time and time again, yet initially I wasn't even sure that I liked it - there's a harshness to it but then, just to contradict myself, it is also incredibly comforting too. How?! Protective perfume? Geez! Cerruti 1881 is perfect if you want to smell a little different from the crowd yet not invite anyone too close...something about the crispness (is it violet?) that is present without making too much noise. For me, anyway. A personal favourite, I wear it when I want something that says yummy but stay back please!

larali
larali

Wow, this is stronger than I expected. Had to wash it off because I sprayed too much.

Cozy, motherly, teacherly. Maybe even appropriate for a date night. I do think any age (above age 18) could wear it-- it is feminine but not girlie-cute.

I think it is the freesia and sandalwood that stick out to my nose. I can see myself wearing this often.

scentous
scentous

watery silky flowery splash..longevity and sillage is average..young and fresh but fragile at the same time..

easybeauty.via giolitti
easybeauty.via giolitti

this fragrance is classic clean and simple.

arnela
arnela

Am still in love in this fragrance! This was one of my first fragrances. It is very elegant and people remebered me because of this uniquie smell. Love it and always will.

eruetim
eruetim

A really good pucahse. I was looking for a middle of the road perfume to wear to a job interview. Modest, sophisticated and timeless. I can wear it on any occasion, to the opera or a business meeting.

Mizz-Coco
Mizz-Coco

I was endlessly searching for the perfect clean floral scent when I read the reviews and decided to buy it. All I can say is, WOW! This perfume is so timeless, classy and feminine without giving a mature vibe. I literally could not take my wrist away from my nose, the smell was just too lovely. The longevity and sillage of the edt is outstanding, I would consider it even better than many edp fragrances out there. This has easily kicked out my favourite orientals and risen to the top of my list. This will now and forever be my signature scent.

Rouu
Rouu

1881 Cerruti ; I've never been a floral nor 90's classic girl but i do raise my hat out of respect .. you are one of the best classics so far .. ;)

sofababe
sofababe

Oh Wow!!!

A few years ago Cerruti 1881 was my signature, then I got more into fragrance and had so many that this beauty got kind of forgotten in the crowd. I was in a store recently choosing something new for spring and they had a tester of this and I had a spray for old times sake and suddenly realised....this is the scent I need for spring!! My old friend 1881!

It opens with a blast of sharp yellow flowers, drying down to a strong but soft soapy floral that lasts for ever (8 hours+) and projects better than you'd imagine.

I adore the retro bottle design with the marble effect on the lid, it feels good in my hand and sprays easily.

I say it again.....WOW!!!

Jellybean
Jellybean

fresh sunny floral; narcissus, camomile, honey and mimose. it reminds me of flower forest with secluded waterfalls that emanates freshness of such surroundings. such a bright amazing smellin' frag. perfect for anytime and anywhere you want to go and take it with you. stays on for about 5-6 hours.
blind buy (after reading all the positive reviews) no regrets, it will be worn LOTS:)!

Dika
Dika

Very elegant and discreet daily fragrance, woody floral.

alyaa
alyaa

A wonderful perfume, starts off with a sharp blast of citrus and flowers and develops gently through the day until it settles into a rosey woody musky dry down. I used to wear this 14 years ago to work and got anosmic to it so stopped and then rediscovered it recently . I get a lot of compliments with this perfume and people tell me it leaves a gentle trail behind. I live in a very hot climate but can still smell wafts of this scent by the end of the day on my skin and clothes.

DeeDeelia
DeeDeelia

Beautiful! So clean and balanced, unique, a little spicy mistery, but quiet and discreet just to make you want more, more, more! :)

moonwalker
moonwalker

What a beautiful, classy, and ellegant scent and yet it doesnt feel overhelming.
I am not very into floral so I guess it is great form me that I can feel some muskinees nad woodiness in it. I think this is a scent for every occasion, and for every age. It can be fresh, yet is has something intensive in it. It is a beautiful composition in which none note is sticking out. I just love it. And for me, it smells much more expensive that it actually is. One of my colleagues wears some flancker of J´Adore - I think, it smells expensive but wayyy too spicey for me, honesly I dont like that scent but maybe it is beacause I dont like that colleague. Funny enough, 1881 reminds me of the scent as regards to the "exclusivity and expensive" feel to it. But of course, it is not that spicey.

EDIT: The sillage and longetivity are great. For comparison, I sprayed Dior´s Pure Poison on one hand and 1881 on the another and surprisingly, 1881 lasted longer and I could smell it from the "bigger distance".

janmarianna
janmarianna

Iam in love with this one :) so fresh and clean perfume and at the same time classy!! just perfect!

Joanna2533
Joanna2533

Cerruti 1881 is so classy a sent! I can happily smell it for hours and hours, its longevity (even of EDT) is incredible, at the same time so stable as a flavor in its impression. To me it is much powdery and balmy, with a hint of acridity, which makes it more sophisticated and gives sent a personality better suitable to mature ages.

lapurrla
lapurrla

I'm with the few reviewers who dislike this, and I mean serious dislike unfortunately (although the bottle is just design perfection IMO). So many glowing positive reviews made me curious when I saw the vintage miniature for sale. It just means 1881's fans really love it enough to write rave reviews! Better to know than to miss out I guess.

Wow! Fresh and clean with a hint of spices, a splash of fresh roses, a hint of airy powder and other gorgeous flowers. This is a scent both for party or for every-day-use. 1-2 spritz's and its beautiful, 3-4 spritz'es it will be heavy, overwhelming. and sticky. Longlasting too. basenote gives a great amber/musk twist with a woody touch. Its a keeper!

Wow, fräsch doft som är svagt kryddig, med en rejäl dos daggfriska rosor, lite, lite pudrig och underbart blommig doft. En doft för både party eller varje-dag-bruk. 1-2 sprejningar är perfekt, 3-4 sprejningar så blir den skarp, tung - en rumsdödare. Håller länge på huden. Basnoten ger en härlig amber/musk doft med en aning trä. Jättehärlig.

derijcklee
derijcklee

on me this smell is so creamy and a lot of flower bombs and long lasting so good scent.

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

Cookie2 - Don't worry, you aren't alone!

I think I also must be missing something with this perfume because to me there's something kind of annoying about it and, like Cookie2, I find it smells a little bit cheap. I really can't quite put my finger on why I dislike it so much because in some ways I suppose it's pretty inoffensive smelling but it really bothers me when I smell it! I tested it in Superdrug (in the UK where it's currently on offer for about half it's normal price - and I can see why!!) but only on a tester strip. Perhaps it might smell better on my skin but I didn't want to risk trying it because I didn't like the smell of it at all and also it seems very one-dimensional to me so I really don't think it would smell very different on skin to how it smells on a tester strip!

So, I'm kind of staggered in some ways that so many women seem to love this perfume. The words creamy, clean and fresh seem to crop up quite a lot in the reviews of it on here yet to me I wouldn't class this as a particularly clean smelling perfume. The cleanest, creamiest smelling perfume I know is Oxygene by Lanvin which is my 'go to' perfume and in my opinion that smells a million times better than Cerruti 1881! Also, some people seem to think it's unique but I have smelled perfumes before that aren't at all dissimilar to this.

Oh well, it was worth a try but this perfume is a big miss for me!

authentica
authentica

My sister in law had this, years ago. I never sprayed it on myself but many a times i would sneak into her bedroom just to sniff the cap:)It was the most elegant fragrance i have ever laid my nose on:)

Robing
Robing

All women should smell like this! Lovely jasmine. I would buy a gallon! (as a girl)

astamm62
astamm62

I think this is a very pretty scent,not too heavy,not too light.And pretty long lasting. It's funny how someone said she gets the comments Wow you smell terrific,this fragrance reminds me of a shampoo I used to use in the late 70's called Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This has such wonderful sillage, it creates a soft floral haze around the wearer. To me it is all mimose, violet and chamomile, soft and creamy, yet floral. It is also somehow fresh, like lightly scented bed linen. A very relaxing scent.

angelsai
angelsai

I wore this perfume during High school, and I have fond memories with it. A very beautiful and classy, sweet smell. Turned many heads wearing this! Going to order another bottle soon. Perfect as both a Summer and Winter fragrance.

jasmasid
jasmasid

Tried this only recently,having read the reviews here. Managed to find it in the form of pure "parfum" and had a most wonderful surprise. On me, it smells exactly like Narcisco Rodrigues For Her but is much less costly.
A very fine fragrance which smells really expensive but is (thankfully) still moderately priced as fragrances go.
Bottle shape is a bit naff. Bottles that have straight lines and nice squarish shoulders always make a scent look more exclusive. I find round bottles or ones with domes on the top rather difficult to operate. Even so, a great scent!
Now, let's wait for the discontinuation, reformulation, re-packaging, price-hike, etc.!

Celtrino
Celtrino

To me this is the 1st perfume I ever bought with my own money...a perfume that is made up of memories of warm nights and the smell of jasmine. Warm, sensual but not over-powering. It has even been noted in films like Assassins...that 1881 smells of jasmine...being in both the top and middle notes. The way they blend around the fleur de lin, amber and musk. This is not a sweet scent but instantly makes you feel womanly, evocative but doesn't drown out your own scent.

Cookie2
Cookie2

I think I'm missing something as most of the reviews are so positive, but I tried this perfume today and on me it just smells cheap and nasty and I found it to be one of the worst perfume's I've ever smelt on myself. I couldn't wait to wash it off! Just shows how different we all are...

I'm positively surprised. It's sweet and floral and I like it. Usually "sweet" is a knock off for me. Here I find it quite nice because the flowers seem genuine and it even makes you think of the smell of honey. It developed quite nicely on my skin and the staying power seemed good too.

PS: Now that I own the scent I have to say that the lasting power on me is not so good. It's still a nice summer scent, but you have to respray.

lara0905
lara0905

I owned this when I was in the college.
This fragrance was very popular in my country( Hungary) in this time.I had mixed feelings with this, I remember I didn't like this too much.It was just a pungent sour powderyness for me.I gave it to my mom and it was beautyful on her. Now I know maybe I just wasn't enough grown up to this scent:)

MrsG
MrsG

Those of y'all who are blessed enough to live in the country like I do could relate to this:

The sun is just rising on an early summer morning and you're sitting on the porch sipping a piping hot cup of tea laced with clover honey, wearing a much-washed cotton robe. when you take a deep breath, you inhale the scent of dewy grass, ripe hay, tree bark, the ivory soap you showered with and hints of wild flowers.

That's what 1881 smells like on me. It's clean, it's comforting...it smells like home! It doesn't scare the critters, it doesn't precede you into the room by 5 feet, it goes equally well with a T-shirt and cut-offs as it does with your Sunday best and best of all, doesn't smell like every other fragrance out there.

I guess it depends on the individual but I see it as more of a fragrance for the 30+ crowd who have outgrown the fruity, foody, screams-look-at-me fumes but aren't quite ready to take on the stereotypical "old lady" standards.

tmy
tmy

This fragrance is great ! My mom wears it, and i like it, it's so elegant , feminin. I would not wear it, cuz it's a too 'mature' adult, perfume, i think this is the best for women up to 28--> . :D not for teenager,that's sure !

Matin
Matin

just beautiful, simple, comfortable.... is a really beautiful classic .
I love it ♥

(Soft floral soap thing (narcissus, mimosa, geranium...), light as a caress to the surface, spring and summer with a mildly sweet vanilla base note.

anpe02
anpe02

Loved it, still have it but I don't use it anymore. Still the most perfect perfume for my skin ever.

sisternancy
sisternancy

To my complete surprise I am truly impressed with this cheap beauty! It has a unique charm as a floral,so natural,like putting your nose into a wild rose. It is rounded and no hint of synthetic to it, just beautiful very pure flowers. I don't get any powder at all, thank God, because powder is obnoxious on me and has ruined many a classic for me. It lasts ages, but not like the Old Ladies that end in a nasty aldehyde. It's gentle all the way and yet not boring because the bouquet is so unique. In short Cerruti 1881 is a hidden gem and I shall top up while it is still around and so cheap!

Classy among classics ;)

Classy among classics ;)

suile
suile

As an everyday fragrance, this one always causes people to comment, in a good way, and ask what you are wearing. It's the linen accord, I think, that is very comforting.

tenderhearted
tenderhearted

This scent is just so beautiful and tender. I have a "designer replica" from a lovely seller online.
This smells like a beautiful garden in Heaven. I can smell roses,geraniums,soft purple violets,and something creamy too. This is probably the tuberose mixing so masterfully with the vanilla. There are soft tinges of resins,and a little bit of green grass.I love this scent.

**The musk in mine is synthetic,and animal cruelty free.

pureblonde
pureblonde

This has been a constant staple in my perfume wardrobe for years and yet until now I hadn't thought to give a review. This is definitely one of my favourites and is probably the one I reach for the most, especially when I don't 'feel' for a particular fragrance. It is a very comforting scent - much like an old friend that you can rely on and who makes you feel happy every time.
To my nose, this is definitely a floral-woody scent and the opening reminds me of fresh linen (but not in a zesty citrus way). I love this one from first spray right through to the beautiful dry down which is so warm and yes, comforting, on my skin.
I find the longevity of this fragrance amazing - I can still smell it's warmth on my skin at the end of the day and it's freshness on my clothes until they are washed.
I have received compliments while wearing this but ultimately it is one I wear for my own benefit, when I just want to smell good. It is my fragrance equivalent to a favourite pair of trackpants and jumper. Having said that though, this perfume sees me through all seasons and occasions which is a true testiment to it's composition.
I think it is often overlooked amongst all the newer and more recognisable fragrances but believe it is one that should be given a chance - should it sound like something you might enjoy. You may just be pleasantly surprised!

Siv55
Siv55

Sweet and powdery all the way through. Young and virginal. Waiting for something. Wistful. Sad it will never leave its village and see the world.
Fruity floral with no fruit and not a lot of soul. I like it yet I feel sorry for it. Pat it on the head and tell it things will be ok.
Wants a cuddle but you only want to give it a quick squeeze and then run away to someone more fun.

twillocks
twillocks

It is okay but it reminds me of Fifth Ave. and that is not high on my list of scents.

beatrix75

i must write again abouth this absolutly georges fragrance :its the best dayparfum in the world for me and strong long lastin but still soft nice kinde off fume exra super and i really love ,i never thought that one parfum can smell so elegant and make you feel so womenly in the same time!!!!try it you become very happy

Goldfinch
Goldfinch

It's a pure accident I've found this beauty. One of my good friends at university used to wear it and she loved it so much. I didn't remember the scent but I associated it with my friend and I knew it was nice. A month ago I was on a 'testing trip' at the market and I tried it with some another scents - just to remember, how my old friend smelled like. And then I sniffed and sniffed my wrist. It's MY scent, I thought. Now I'm having a full bottle and I'm very happy. I haven't seen my friend for years but we can share this beauty I think:).
The fume itself is more woody-floral. The first 10-15 minutes I feel it a bit sharp, like the just cut flower bouquet, mostly freesia and violet. As the time goes it becomes more powdery and comforting, then I feel a lot of woods (especially cedar), and it lingers for hours with medium (but remarkable) sillage on my skin. Love it. The bottle is lovely and it's good to hold in my hand.

Cerruti 1881 for Women is a delightfully refreshing floral which has taken me quite by surprise. I didn't expect this fragrance to be so light and juicy, yet now I understand how this fragrance has lasted over 15 years in the market.

1881 smells quite peachy to my nose. It's girly and very 'pink'. I can imagine this was a teen girl's favourite back in the 90's. I particularly like its clean and delicate qualities. It's like a fresh, slightly wet bouquet of rose, freesia, jasmine and lily of the valley.

Occasionally 1881 tends to be a little soapy, however I don't find it harsh or unpleasant in its soapiness. It remains feminine and lively throughout the composition. The chamomile, particularly in the heart when blended with subtle citrusy notes, smells a little bit like a cup of sweet, herbal chamomile tea.

It's softness allows 1881 to be worn in almost every occasion as it is very inoffensive. The lasting power is good however, scenting the skin for hours and clinging to fabric for days.

1881 isn't my cup of tea unfortunately. There's nothing to dislike about it, however I find it too reserved and lady-like for my personal tastes. All in all, this fragrance is quite enjoyable and a wonderful choice for floral lovers alike.

beatrix75

its gorgeous remarcable very ultra feminin smell especialy for now times spring summer actualy alltimes all ocasion !!!

olga1780
olga1780

When i received it, i sprayed on the back of my hand to make sure i liked it and didnt have to sent it back.... and put it aside as i was wearing something else. Today i used it after the morning shower and was getting irritated because i couldn't smell anything at all right away and was stuck with a large bottle of pink water. But after 5-10 minutes this fragrance bloomed on my skin like a bouquet of the most beautiful freshly cut flowers, very soft, feminine, and elegant. It is so innocent, light and complex at the same time. The lasting power is outstanding for EDT, lasted on me most of the day. The sillage is pretty decent too. It is a great casual fragrance for summer or spring, would be perfectly matched with white or pastel color clothes.

carolcabbagerose
carolcabbagerose

Ahhh...this is just sweet and girlie and gorgeous.
Doesn't hurt the nose or head. Perfection. How could you not like this wonderful seductive parfume.. there is nothing to dislike = perfect for day and night and any time of year I think.
I have had one spray of this early this morning and still can smell its sweet,powdery bouquet which is a real bonus for a change.

Altheea
Altheea

One of the most beautiful fragrances, I love it!

The_Entity
The_Entity

This frag brings back memories, beautifully heavy and powdery as I remember it :)

ReinaT
ReinaT

1881 is a soft powdery feminine rose scented perfume. For me, it seems strong on the rose side. It reminds me a little of Tresor or Ombre Rose, in a that line of soft rosey florals. It is pretty and feminine. Definitely for day, spring and summer use. A pretty fragrance but nothing mysterious or magical about it. Very French and mixes well with other floral perfumes, particularly if they are on the rose side.

kkmathews
kkmathews

Got one for the madamme.... smells quite soft and feminine....

camillia
camillia

I was looking for a discreet -but not generic- daytime fragrance, and I found Cerruti 1881: quiet, feminine, elegant, natural, yet with enough "kick" to be worn in a business environment. I love this fragrance and have adopted it as my quasi-chypre.

The scent is sharp, dressy and outdoorsy (fresh) in a good, wholesome way.
It opens herbacious bitter-sweet, reminding me of the classic Italian aperitif Campari.
Then there is a layer of powdery mille-fleurs, rather spicy than sweet, with wooden and soapy undertones.

I reckon high grade materials are used, this is perfectly wearable even in tropical climate. Sillage and tenacity are moderate on my skin.

guest_Isabella
guest_Isabella

Beautiful smell, you can mistake it with anything else. Very clean, fresh, lasts long. I like it more than Cerruti En Fleurs. Have got it in my collection, and definitely will buy again.

dannyt
dannyt

One of my favourites scent for day time, I used to wear it alot many years ago and I fell inlove with it again last week when I bought the 30ml bottle.
It`s a very clean and elegant scent,fresh at the begining,on my skin the drydown is sweet and warm si I find it perfect for the cold winter days. A classic, I guess it could be worn very well by young and also more mature women. I love it more now than I did in the old days!

kerini
kerini

After reading all those positive reviews I guess I'll have to give 1881 another try before delivering final judgement.

So far it has been a great disappointment to me. When I mentioned that I wanted to try this one a friend gave her miniature bottle to me. Now I wonder if maybe it has gone bad...

The opening was truly awful, pungent and somehow rotten.
A few minutes in it turned into an inoffensive floral scent, well blended, nice but nothing too special.
After a little while the rosewood set in and just when I started to see what's supposed to be so great about the fragrance it changed again.
It became more and more powdery until powder was all that was left.
The dry-down was subtle, woody with a floral background, pleasant but not too impressive.

It lasted about 5 hours on my skin.

nyoka
nyoka

If u r looking for a clear,fresh floral,thtaying power is great.After u spray,it begins to bloom on ur skin until u smell like a giant flower bed full of the most perferct blooms in the world.Truly,a great fume!

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

Really like this perfume. It is fresh. clean, elegant and also has something that is warm. I can smell a variety of flower notes, almost like a spring posy of flowers. The base notes are soft and warm. A good fragrance for day time, would not offend. It is very well blended and it is evident that quality notes have been used in this perfume.

tschiepchen
tschiepchen

1881 is a great day scent.
The smell is sensual, warm and flowery but also has a fresh undertone.
I often get compliments when I wear 1881.

truffle
truffle

I can only use this when I apply it in a small amount from the distance. And preferably on my clothes as it doesn't go well with my skin chemistry. And then.. it is so soft, feminine, powdery and sensual, and have a beautiful trail. It reminds me - please don't laugh! - cat's hair smell, but in a good way! Love them. But now I have a rest from them.

J'taime Guerlain
J'taime Guerlain

I wore this fragrance continually for daytime use back in the early part of this century and I loved the clean, crisp elegance of it. It went really well with my office suits and was never one of those overpowering scents. It's very lady-like and I fully agree with the reviewers who wrote it's good for an interview / wedding. It's one of those fragrances you wear when you want to smell good, but you don't want to blast your approach.
Back then I'd buy the 30ml size and managed get through a few bottles, in those days the bottle had a gorgeous lid that looked like peach marble. I read somewhere that Cerutti wanted to recreate the roofs of the countryside holiday villas which belonged to Italian society.

Anyway, once I'd finished that last bottle I decided to break with Cerutti 1881 and for a good 8 years that was it. Then I felt nostalgic this spring and had a spray of it in store and loved it once again! It was on offer so I bought the 30ml size but used it up so I bought the 100ml size so that I can take my time with it. This fragrance doesn't last long on me, I'll spray it when I get dressed but will give myself another spritz for the afternoon school run and that seems to be enough.

I get clean linen and powder, I was amazed to read how many different things are contained in this scent as I'd always thought it was very simple. It's very linear on me but I'm happy with that as I love the initial smell.

My little boys love it, they say I smell like a pink fluffy jumper!

theoneilove
theoneilove

This perfume has an aquatic undertone and probably it is a floral-aquatic scent. It has velvety notes that gives a sensual aura. It's a perfume appropriate for summer use.

Cerruti 1881 is a very woody floral fragrance. Although there are about a million flowers and a few woods and other elements listed as notes, cedar and violet really dominate this composition. In fact, I would never have guessed most of the other components listed, so seamless and deceptively simple is this creation.

1881 is an understated, low sillage edt with fairly good longevity. It reminds me vaguely of Creed LOVE IN BLACK (though the Cerruti was launched way back in 1995!) and would probably be appealing to fans of that fragrance looking for a less expensive surrogate. 1881 is warm and inviting, and if had a bottle, I would surely wear it now and then.

janudy
janudy

I have to agree that this is a nice fragrance. I don't get a lot of powder on my skin, and I smell primarily violets. It's just not that interesting. In my collection, I have the sluts, the vamps, the ladies, the thinkers, etc. This is plain jane, the girl next door. It's one of those fragrances that I'll wear when I have no idea what else to put on and not regret wearing it. And I'm glad I have it, b/c sometimes you jut want to smell nice.

libelula4954
libelula4954

I have been reading the previous revies, and most of them are very positive. I do not know why, but this perfume makes me choke, I only feel a strong powdery scent, nothing floral. It is not just on my skin, I smell it the same on women wearing it, to me it smells really disgusting, and this is the only perfume that causes such a reaction. definitely would never wear it. I received a bottle some years ago and gave it away.

EskimoKissez
EskimoKissez

As a perfumer who tries to match perfumes for less, I found this extremely hard to match. It is made with the REAL THING if I'm not mistaken, and I only have inferior product to work with. It was difficult to come close. The more I smelled the perfume I was trying to match, the more I fell in love with it and now I think I want to buy it!!!

Sassy1
Sassy1

This one is more of a floral woody musk than a straight floral. I pick up sweet powdery flowers then mossy woods. It is light enough for warm weather and I can smell drifts of it for 4-5 hours.
Nice but not a stand out for me.

RkrChk
RkrChk

This fragrance was strong and definitely not worth buying in a bigger bottle. For me, it was sharp, but not in a good way. I'm glad I tried a sample size first!

Amethyststar
Amethyststar

Floral--very distinct, but I don't catch any of the notes individually enough to identify them. A soft fragrance, clean, nothing "sexy'--I would classify this as a nice every day scent for summer, or going out with my friends. I get a sense of clean cotton, sheets blowing on a clothesline in the sun. Would I buy a second bottle? No, it's just not that special, but I will enjoy wearing it for now.

guest_EVA
guest_EVA

i like...it s soft ,luxury

hollycat
hollycat

I was so intrigued by the notes and the bottle of this perfume. All the reviews made me think this could be perfect for a hot summer day. I had to get a sample. Well... heres the verdict. I get rosewater, nothing less, nothing more. Its quite feminine, but very linear. I mean it smells exactly like pure natural rosewater. But its persistant, you would think rosewater would fade but no. I get rosewater for well over 6hrs. Good siliage. But not for me.

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

This scent is unlike any other.
It is difficult to know his grades, I do not fruity or floral, or citrus.
It is unique and extremely, extremely elegant.
I think it's ideal for day to day work, is an image of seriousness and good taste amazing.
Certainly one of the best perfumes in the world.
Interestingly my sister says it smells like: beer! kkkkkkkkkkkk

rdoonanuk
rdoonanuk

In my opinion, people will smell you before they see you with this one. I had this in my 20s and perhaps I should have had a lighter hand when I sprayed!

Lasting power was very good and it is a good floral in the sense that it is not run of the mill and boring.

teetee
teetee

I usually don t like what the others do...This perfume is THE exception. I haven t even tried it before because I did not expect I could actually like it.

BUT! It is very, very nice fragrance. Elegant but not boring, remarkable but not agressive.
For me it is a summer scent. Light and optimistic.

shtellungeza
shtellungeza

this perfume is my mother's favorite of all times together with so pretty de cartier (rose verte) by the way is rose verte still avaliable??? I've searched for it everywhere and it seems it's been discontinued :S

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

A very pleasant scent which I always wore as a background kind of smell when I wasn't sure which mood I was in! It's very well balanced between discreet florals and clean musk and I don't see how it could possibly be offensive to anyone. It smells 'good' rather than odd, distinctive or statement. The perfumery equivalent of some small pearl earrings.

geegee
geegee

I adore this fragrance.

When it was first introduced back in the 90's i began to wear it thinking it was just a subtle day fragrance & i became a magnet to compliments & propositions from both genders.

I couldnt believe that a fragrance that seemed so subtle, almost docile could have that effect upon other people.

First spray is soft & powdery & so is its base notes. Long staying power & perfect for any time wear.

I havnt had this for a few years but i think its time i bought it again. It made me feel like a vixen & its nice to have that feeling from a fragrance.

I wonder if it will have the same effect upon my man as it did with other people back in the 90's.

guest_cristina
guest_cristina

I loved this fragrance from the very first moment, many years ago, when I was much younger. As time went by, I moved from Cool Water, D&G Light Blue or Aqua di Gio to Armani Diamonds Intense, Calvin Klein's Obsession a.s.o, but still love Cerutti 1881 on my skin. Even if it smells so fresh (despite my current preferences for oriental fragrances), I simply adore the flowers in its heart. No musk at all lasts on me, but Cerutti is still long-lasting as a clean, powdery scent until evening, and my clothes keep the smell even after the first laundry.
Sorry for my grammar, English is still a foreign language for me:) Hope you got the point...

Natalie Brown
Natalie Brown

I really like this fragrance,it's very fresh and clean. Ithas a very distinctive scent that is warm but unique. Every time I wear it I get compliments from men and women. Most of the comments are about the freshness of the scent.I think this is a good yeaf around scent. It's very distictive and a little goes a long way. It lasts all day.

sky76sky
sky76sky

A cacophony of soft flowers laid down on hay!

There is a hazy sunshine quality about this warm floral & yet the green sap note stops it from becoming too powdery & veiled. All the flowers meld effortlessly into one another, playing peek-a-boo with your nose. It is soft, yet quite loud. It is sweet yet mature.

The hay note is ever-present & there is a nostalgic whiff of ivory soap & hand-washed, line-dried clothes which makes my head spin & takes me back in time to a farm in the 1940's ..... daffodil picking, haymaking, running through meadows .... all rolled into one.

The sillage is good & it lasts well for a floral, although it does tend to sweeten over time & becomes heavy on the musk with a slightly bitter woodsy note.

I am not a mixed "floral" gal, but this could be a really super fragrance for a sophisticated, nature-loving, natural woman.

Iulia
Iulia

This one was love at first "sniff":)). Once again I've first smelled it on one of my friends, and all the night I couldn't think of something else but of that perfume.
I must say it is gourgeous, unique, I've never smelled something similar.I've always imagined this perfume on a very stylish woman, highly educated and with a long wavy hair.
It's best for the autumn/winter season.I can't distinguish any particular note, but all in all it smells great and it also last for a day. I can smell it the next day on my skin and on clothes it lasts for even longer ( a week or so). It's best suited on women older than 25 and you can use it in any time of the day. You will feel special anyhow:).

MoietToi
MoietToi

It opens up really sweet and the violet is extremely prominent. Then it disappears just to return 5 seconds later. Upon it's return 1881 has turned into a rather woody and slightly soapy scent. I think that this scent is ok but not for me.

maijaaijam
maijaaijam

OMG, it is disgusting.
My sister-in-law has this fragrance - I hate sitting next to her!
To me it's more like chypre floral. Sharp, overpowering, pushy.

Kittycat
Kittycat

It's wonderful ! Perfect for all occasions and seasons. I love this perfume.

Aalia
Aalia

This perfume is excellent. For me it is a touch sweet, however, but, it doesn't ruin it. There is a touch of everything here. Itś complex, itś unique, itś a classic, itś delicate, itś mature, itś playful, itś floral, itś a touch spicy, itś creamy, well, you are getting the point, I could really go on and on, singing the praises of this wonderful perfume... itś velvet, itś silk, itś snow at the beach on a winterś day, itś bright flowers in the spring, it is brave, it is discreet, itś poetry, itś prose...

chockolina
chockolina

Well, this is my love! It is classic and modern, could be weared all over the year night and day and on all ocasions. I use it for 13 years already and I still can't find another smell to like more. On my skin it lasts long and I could smell it on my clothes for days.

Daria
Daria

I love it!
It's very elegant,soft,interesting,feminine
I really like this scent.
Strong and long lasting.

renneyg007
renneyg007

A close friend bought this for me one Christmas, proving how little she knew me! Its not obnoxious at all just very mundane. Warm, floral and flat. I made an effort to like it but it was short lived.

Mals86
Mals86

Very pretty and feminine. On my skin, I mostly detect a citrusy rose, very fresh and pleasantly astringent, along with the sweet, powdery mimosa and hay-like narcissus. Stays cool throughout the drydown, despite the warmth of the oriental notes in the base (vanilla, woods). This one would be very nice during the summer, as it is light yet substantial and refreshing. It is, as someone mentioned below, a "serious" scent: perfectly suitable for the office. For an EDT, it lasted a long time on my skin: four hours.

sharyssa
sharyssa

I bought this today and it is sooooooo good, it is very soft,light and has a linen and flowery scent.Lasting power is good!

moonflower143
moonflower143

i liked this perfume when i tested it so i bought it, but i only wear it once..the smell didnt match with my body chemistry, it smells awful on my skin.

Migotka
Migotka

I loved it at first, I absolutely loved the sample. Then I got it and wasnt able to wear it even once. I dont know what it is, but it smells... old. Dont get me wrong,it's a beautiful fragrance, but it suits more my aunt than me now... On her it smells great, develops, you can feel the wonderful floral notes backed up by vanilla and musk. On me- well, it was overwhelming and unpleasant.

leonora84
leonora84

My typical "italian girl" fragrance. The italian perfumes are really distinctive ones, without being musty or gourmand. They have rather a clean, but golden and thick quality, like Cerruti 1881. Crispness and golden honey-like womenly thickness in one. Really strong, but I like my perfumes to be real "bombs".

alicektn
alicektn

My mother used to wear this. It smelled nice on her.Warm and cuddly.It reminded me of a fluffy cloud.

When she got bored of it, she gave it to me. I couldn't stand it on my skin, it was horrible.Too strong and non-developing. And it made me nauseus.

Now I just use it to scent my drawers.

solocha
solocha

It smells soft, uncloyingly as if it was a scent for children. Flowery but not any flowers in particular, there is a slight powdery note too. Ideal for times when we want to smell decent and unnoticeable - such as wedding perhaps (for some), or job interview.

kassiasun
kassiasun

Used to wear this, with typical early 90th's clothes. I used to like this one very much but when I found it in a store a few weeks ago I was very dissapointed. It has no warmth to it on my skin. Just seems to 'sit' there. But the memories are good.

Helene
Helene

I like it, but on the others, when I put it on myself, it brings me headache and stuffs my nose, the effect reminds allergy. But nevertheless it smells pretty much chicly

Malegria
Malegria

I would like to have it. It is a mood perfume. It does not identify itself as a floral fragrance to me, I feel a lots of fresh woody notes here mixed with rather pronounced green stems - like crashed daffodils.Very serious and official - I would not wear it on a date, but definitely on a job interview - just a bit - or at the office. I also think it is not for very young girls,but if you are 25 and a serious person - give it a try. It creates an aura of confidence for the young and makes the older women appear more youthful.

Xenya
Xenya

It is really my favourite one. Some think it is too heavy but when I smell it, it makes me melt! It's thick and gold, I would say.

kori_an
kori_an

That is my mum's scent..it's warm,floral and powdery.

PELA
PELA

i like it very much.i like wearing it on winter time.it has a very warm smell.

AprilSea
AprilSea

it is perfect for summer. it has an oriental-smelling thingie (flax?) that makes it mysterious, warm and elegant, perfect for summer afternoons. the scent is deep and round, like the bottle.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

On me this smells a lot like flowery linen. It's nice, but not my cup of tea. It never really develops fully on my skin.

noor_jehan
noor_jehan

i really love this fragrance. i never thought that the flax flower can smell so nice and make you feel so womenly. the flacon colour is a great match to the scent.

2007

Cerruti 1881 Uomo Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Cerruti Cerruti 1881 Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Cerruti Cerruti 1881 Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Gift Set 3.4oz
Cerruti 1881 Uomo Coffret Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml 3.4oz All Over Shampoo 50ml 1.7oz After Shave Balm 50ml 1.7o 3pcs

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Cerruti 1881 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Cerruti 1881, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify 1881 by Cerruti. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of 1881 by Cerruti represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.