Designers » C » Woody Chypre « Groups

smoky
leather
Antaeus Chanel for men Videos
Antaeus Chanel for men Pictures

Antaeus is the name of ancient Greek demigod. Strong, like a god, and gentle as a man, Antaeus belongs to those perfumes of expressed individuality and strong character which emphasize masculinity, what was a trend in 1980-ies. Myrtle and sage, lime and thyme have united to give the fragrance a special freshness and masculine character. The fragrance is warming up and becomes intensive at the end due to patchouli, sandal and labdanum in the base. Sharp animalistic nuance is brought in by the notes of castoreum and leather.

The top notes include lemon, lime, coriander, myrtle, clary sage, and bergamot. The heart is composed of thyme, basil, rose and jasmine, while the base of patchouli, castoreum, labdanum, and oak moss. The perfume was created by Jacques Polge in 1981.

Coriander Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Lime Clary Sage Myrhh

Jasmine Thyme Rose Basil

French labdanum Patchouli Oakmoss Castoreum

Antaeus Fragrance Reviews

gelo999
gelo999

Well, for me, Antaeus is one of the most beautiful ochenteras jewelry that has been done and certainly is among the best Animalicos that have been released for sale and also today still alive (thankfully) because houses as Chanel (who care for their heritage) continue pulling it out for sale (all merit on their part).

And if Chanel does all this, there must be !!!

Antaeus has been reformulated several times, still retains its character, before wildest and the most marked phases, now more tamed, softened with a less exaggerated evolution, citrus opening softened so that will emerge from the outset that nature more woodsy-smoked and reduce the chypre effect, so the rose note and beaver, also lightened, the most characteristic, drying, became much more atalcado and dusty, with that nice note of oak moss, the continues to make both enigmatic and appealing.

The length is good, moderate projection and qualities, although I'm not complaining, could be better.

Today, with all face washes, face-lifts and surgeries that have been made, Antaeus still seems pure style and sophistication. And, to dress with Antaeus you need much wisdom and experience, especially in:

First, master the art of master's whip.

Second, have the charisma and courage of an animal tamer;)

Rating: 9

WuZi8465
WuZi8465

Beautiful, nuff said. It ain't sexy it ain't hot, it's just beautiful.

PS: Lasts a good bit of time as well

Kraemer
Kraemer

This ones an enigma. It's also a classy (but aggressive) punch to the face. In short, I love it.

Guinea54
Guinea54

I don't know. Someone sent me a decant sample of this one and right off the bat it came off very vintage smelling or in more blunt terms, a dated scent. Part of me likes it because of reading reviews and knowing its a classic Chanel powerhouse etc. But if I smelled this blindly, I probably would have looked over it pretty quick. I get that it is a classic and many people love it.. I just feel personally that its a scent that didn't really pass the test of time and comes off smelling dated. On top of that I am guessing it was reformulated because it really isn't a beast on my skin... I get that typical oakmoss, "perfumey" floralish kind of musk scent with a hint of some spice, almost like a cinnamon kind of vibe. A unique smell but also familiar at the same time. It smells like it belongs in that class of 80's type scents..
Now don't get me wrong. My favorite fragrance of all time is a powerhouse 80's scent.... Fahrenheit. But I feel that one was more unique for its time and still unique till this day. I believe fahrenheit passes the test of time better than this one. Just my opinion.

Scent- artistic appreciation for an uncommon non fresh chanel 4/5
For me personally 3/5

EternalReturn
EternalReturn

Verrrrry interesting! I just gave this a quick test today, stopping by the Chanel boutique and getting a couple of spritzes of Antaeus on my arms. This smells beautiful and elegant. I got a blast of heavy, slightly leathery darkness in the opening -- maybe the castoreum and labdanum? After a few minutes it brightened up and grew more floral, with maybe a touch of soft powderiness. Then for a couple of hours it became a rather pleasant and soft (but moderately projecting) perfumey, unisex floral with a oakmoss base. As it dried down the florals subsided and the base emerged again as rather more masculine, still dominated by oakmoss. As the dry-down continued for hours, the oakmoss subsided and it became very well balanced. I definitely want to give this one a proper testing of multiple wearings.

Overall, this is much, much softer and plusher, less wild, and more unisex than I expected. I think this would be fantastic on women or men. Of course it does have an old-school vibe, but I could easily imagine anyone from a middle aged man in a suit to a college-aged girl with a sharp wit and plenty of moxie pulling this off beautifully.

Bottom line: darkly beautiful, plush and elegant, with a undercurrent of danger.

*EDIT: Took a shower before bed, which didn't remove Antaeus but reduced it to a skin scent. Woke up the next morning, it was still there. Now the name makes sense: this stuff is nigh-impossible to kill.

Wordley
Wordley

A real power fragrance. Uncompromising and powerful. On me the top notes give way very quickly to the middle notes which last for hours as it gradually dries down. An occasional treat when I'm not looking for subtlety.

LuxAestiva
LuxAestiva

The friendlier, more hygienic, handsome brother of Kouros.

no-fi

My partner is an absolute keeper. She bought me a 100ml EDT of Antaeus for my birthday, and she thinks I smell divine when I wear it.

Some men settle for a girl. I have a real woman. Thanks, Antaeus.

ernestcow
ernestcow

it's the fragrance version of a florist. smells like someone concocted a whole bunch of different flowers into a strong smelling fragrance.

koll2
koll2

This would be Tarzans fragrance of choice

rerthegreat
rerthegreat

all of my experience in fragrance is on the designer level, minus green irish tweed and virgin island water. I am quite sure there are scores of niche fragrances that accomplish what antaeus does and better, but this review is from the designer fragrance perspective.

There is nothing like this in the current designer market. Its usually fresh, spicy, citrus, with oud being your chance to get your hands on something really masculine (polo green is a wonderful exception). Antaeus is powerful, lasts a long time, and does it ever smell amazing. You wear this and you are conveying power, wealth, strength, confidence, virility and confidence. This is for the boardroom, the bedroom, the special occasion, for the fully grown man. Teenagers and adults in their 20s are probably going to find this overpowering, I know i did. My first bottle was not until my late 30s.

Animalic, spicy, a generous dose of rose and leather, smoky as well. As this dries down the rose really comes out and you have this wonderful juxtoposition of floral rose with leather and the labdanum. It lasts for hours and hours, and any man who likes the finer things, who wants to exude masculinity has got have this in their collection.

Chanel is to my, by far the best designer house. If you could only buy from one house, to me, this would be it. They have every style and genre of fragrance at superb quality and reasonable price for almost any budget. Go buy this, in fact go ahead and buy every chanel fragrance. An absoulute masterpiece,

Sophisticated Redneck

How can you call yourself a man and not be rockin' Antaeus.........

4trl0ver
4trl0ver

@pfinixx

smells nothing like Narciso Rodriguez for Him, other than the patchouli. but then again, nothing does smell like Narciso Rodriguez for Him, NR for Him is unique.

Antaeus does smell more like Oscar de la renta Pour Lui. Actually the similarity is uncanny.

Antaeus is however more refined, rich and inoffensive, than ODLR pour lui.

This is a real man smell.

toff.tiozon
toff.tiozon

Here's a gorgeous fragrance I can understand from an objective standpoint, but hasn't really "clicked" with me yet.

Maybe I have yet to refine my tastes in fragrances beyond what is pandered in mainstream media, but this just smells a little "old" to me - and not old as in old man, because i love grandpa / grandma scents. But old as in borderline musty.

A trip to the forums tells me this fragrance is often thought of as "animalic" and a little on the skanky side, but all I get is a very dry herb smell, with very pronounced woods and an "ashy" overall vibe.

I do get its sex appeal, but maybe it'll take a few more tests to lasso me in the Antaeus fanclub.

Maxvonembs
Maxvonembs

Superb Fragrance, It truly makes me want to toss half of my collection out the window (of course I won't), but this is so good I can't believe it.

Why I did not try this sooner I do not know, But I am glad I finally have.

It reminds me of something Amouage would create today. I will not elaborate on the notes other than by saying that to my nose it is very masculine and the dry down is fantastic. I am using a recent bottle, so I can't imagine what the vintage version represents, however, I am quite happy with the current.

BlkSkiMaskJoe
BlkSkiMaskJoe

This is a good cologne
It's manly
Dark and smooth
Woody & incense
Is what I get
Classic scent for sure

If you love strong explosive cologne
This is the one

For me

I get various longevity but for sure more than 8hrs

no-fi

When I stopped by the fragrance counter at the local department store today, I had one purpose in mind. I didn't want to smell any new flankers or the latest bland, unisex scents. I wanted to try some of the classics, and find one that really spoke to me.

I'm a youthful-looking 32-year-old, not a mature gentleman, so the lady at the fragrance counter was understandably somewhat surprised by my requests, which at times involved reaching for seldom-used testers in obscure corners of the counter. But she was very patient and obliging.

Well, the class of 1981 impressed me the most today. I thoroughly enjoyed YSL Kouros, which truly is a beast of a scent. But Antaeus was the surprise winner, with its powerful, bracing opening, its smooth, rich heart notes, and that sublime dry down. Yes, there's a lot of almost feminine floral notes, and a proverbial sh** tonne of beaver. But it all works so well. It's strong, masculine and enveloping.

Antaeus has shot straight to the top of my 'must-have' list. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. An unmitigated 10/10.

rakan1985
rakan1985

scent : 9/10
sillage : 9/10
longevity :8/10
100% night fragrance

Lynee'99

It's a lovely day in New York City and I truly want to thank that gorgeous man who just passed by me on Wall Street and made my day as I was blessed with a subtle trail of Antaeus as he strolled by. It is a mystical scent, it hits all the right buttons for me. As I said in my posting in the Spring of 2015, thank the Lord that Chanel still produces Antaeus and thank you, thank you to all of the men that continue to adorn themselves with it. A truly sexy scent!

Guapo
Guapo

Masterpiece!

AmericanCologneGuy
AmericanCologneGuy

A fragrance beast from Chanel. This is not subtle in any way. If you're feeling like celebrating, out in a big open restaurant or a loud bar, this is one you pull out of your arsenal! Big, loud, proud, strong, confident, bold, and manly! Jacques Polge and Chanel knew what they were doing in naming this juice! You feel like a Greek god when you give this a spray onto your chest!
The strong coriander and citrus opening sets the stage for the heart notes of thyme, lush rose and flowery jasmine. "Flowers?!," you ask! Yes, but fear not! These precious flowers could not possibly emasculate this stuff! For all this is playing out while up from the base erupts dark and syrupy labdanum, smooth patchouli, animalic castoreum, and rich oakmoss.
This stuff can't be tamed, so go easy on the trigger. This juice should have its own epic soundtrack. Bravado in a bottle! Well-done, Chanel! Antaeus.

bryan.adams
bryan.adams

vintage Antaeus is one of the best winter fragrances created. along with vintage versions of:
Halston Z-14
Jacomo de Jacomo
Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
Charles Jourdan Un Homme
those are some of the best representatives of winter, night and formalwear from that era. true powerhouse fragrances.

TechGuyZ
TechGuyZ

This is the type of badass fragrance you wear when you need to man up, wrestle a bear or kick someone's @$$! But with class!

This is the type of fragrance that gives you that attitude and you don't care about anything else. It evokes strength, power and even intimidate others. This is the fragrance you wear when you are aggressive and fear no one or anything and ready to take on the world. Yes, it's that type of fragrance.

I blind bought this without expecting much, but boy Chanel really did a good job on this one! I am in my mid 30's and I can easily pull this off with my suits and personality (maybe this is what I was missing). Definitely not a casual or going out with friends and don't bother wearing denim, sneakers or t-shirts with this one. This is more of a MAFIA/20's gangster you are going to 86 someone tonight type fragrance. Yes, you must wear with extreme caution because otherwise this one will overtake your body (literally) and wear you instead if you aren't careful.

2 Sprays (3 max) and be ready to turn Super Saiyan once you wear this. College, high school teenies, sorry to say but you aren't ready for this and you probably won't be ready to wear this one until you have made a name/reputation for yourself or when you can dress with style and attitude (suits/ties in your early 30's+).

This is the type of fragrance John Wick or Don Drapper would wear if they ever wore a fragrance.

nickelrider
nickelrider

Antaeus is totally ... IT!
Rich ... elegant ... masculine without ever cloying. The best dry-down in a mans' fragrance, ever. Loved it in 1984 when I first experienced and love it today. Kind of reminds me of the Old Country .. Israel to be exact .. because of the gorgeous labdanum, the resin of which was collected by shepherds from goats' beards for making incense. Royal and timeless ... this is a sublime fragrance that will always be part of my collection. Best experienced in the Fall and Winter :)

NapoleonLives
NapoleonLives

Antaeus is a beautiful, classy fragrance that's incomparable in many respects. However, it's best reserved for age 30+. Most definitely not for teens or college age unless you have an extraordinary taste in fragrances.

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander

Please don't be discouraged by the "enormous sillage" rating or the beaver. This is a lovely fragrance that starts fresh and dries-down into a rich herbal, woody, slightly floral scent. I think it can be worn at all times and for all occasions, just put less on in the heat. I actually bought this blind and I don't regret it. A true classic.

bet85
bet85

Amazing how scent memories takes you back to specific moments of your life that you would have never remembered without the help of your sense of smell. Antaeus did just that. I still remember the first time i grabbed a tester and sprayed this on a tester card and whoosh!! I was transported twenty years back when i was twelve hugging my distant uncle which rarely visits us during the holidays. I always pictured my uncle as a rugged but classy man. I still remember him that night with his thick trimmed mustache, black leather jacket his flashy gold chain and his calm demeanor. Antaeus was him. Funny thing was that i always thought it was just his natural smell of the leather jacket, mixed with i dunno his hair gel and his natural old manish smell. But it was Antaeus! I don't know if he still wears this because i haven't seen him since. I hope he does. But it saddens me because i don't think i can ever pull Antaeus of. For me, i will forever associate my uncle to this scent. I could see why this fragrance has such love. yes it is amazing. It just wont work on me....yet.

thiagomartini
thiagomartini

That´s a good frag, no doubt about it.

But for me, when i want to wear something daring and old-schoolish, there's no reason to choose this over Chanel Egoiste. Want some flowers? There you got. Want a masculine scent without having to "push it" or annoy others with castoreum? Egoiste is the fragrance you need.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize it's a good fragrance. But I just think Egoiste is an evolution towards this one, from the same creator and house, just keeping the masculine alure with an additional touch of class.

8 out of 10.

Beaufort
Beaufort

If you are craving vintage Antaeus try French Line from Revillon. It's almost identical to the original formula Antaeus !!

@fresh_scents

If your name represents your taste in fragrances. You came into the wrong neighbourhood ;-).

hafidzummc
hafidzummc

Im wearing this for a week now. the first day i wore this to work people around me were sneezing non-stop (i used 4 sprays). the next day i went easy on the trigger and it worked beautifully. however still feel that this is not the most office-friendly fragrance and i stopped wearing it to work.

All and all, id say its a very nice fragrance. i get castoreum note on paper but not much on my skin. dont spray on clothes cuz it will becoming cloying to the point that ull be embarrased. can be headache inducing at times especialiy in hot weather. best worn at night. as for the quality, it is expected from the house of chanel (i own egoiste and platinum egoiste) and what can i say? this house never disappoints me :)

enjoy!

[email protected]@r
C@nn@r

Earthy oily leather bomb! I get strong pungent lime up top followed by musky clary sage with myrrh. The scent dries down to leather, oakmoss, castoreum, rose, and rose. Very nice scent but not what I would wear. Performance was good but not a beast like some people claim. Will re-visit in a decade or so.

Gillbert,

perfume has no age ! If you like it, wear it :-)

Enjoy

gillbert
gillbert

This is 80% close to Chanel No.5 EDP for women in dry down. It deep, rich, potent-warm, earthy, classy, mysterious powdery scent. First time i see this perfume on the shelf, I am so curious about it. I make a sniff and fall in love with it. I say, it's not for everyone. Make a try before purchasing.Some people say, it's too old for my age like me, but i love the scent. Really work and last 12 hours on my skin. (honestly-no hype)

Ultimately for winter / night and work (really work in cold day)
please compare with these before make a purchase
a) Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
b) Tom Ford Noire

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

Very well crafted masculine fragrance, built around a strappy, polished leather note. Not heavy, dirty leather, but rather crisp and dry like the smell that hits you in a shoe store. It's enlivened by a fresh array of citrus and herbs, in particular sage and thyme, which add a classic barbershop soap effect, tingly, spicy and a little powdery.

It's very easy to wear, with a sheer texture and moderate sillage. Won't fill a room, but will definitely get you noticed. A sophisticated all round scent, for work or evenings.

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

I think of Antaeus original release 1981, as a long lost love.
One of the most beautifull mens fragrances ever and one of the 80´ies greatest fragrances. The deep soft spicyness and the beautifull development throughout the drydown is just amazing..

spcmiller
spcmiller

In all of my perfume smellin' days I never realized how similar Antaeus and YSL's Jazz smell. They're both obviously created in the same era and place (giving them an almost identical context), but I never made the connection until today.

Color me amazed. :-P

esyboss
esyboss

باسلام

انتیوس عطری است از اوایل دهه 80 میلادی که بنظرم یکی از دوران طلایی عطرهایی که امروز به کلاسیک معروف هستند می باشد.

بزرگانی چون ایو سن لورنت کروس، ازارو پیورهوم،رالف لورن پولو، یاتاقان، توسکانی ارامیس همه در یکه بازه جندساله قبل و بعد از سال تولید این عطر بدنیا امدند که ویژگی اغلبشون تم غلیظ مردانه ناشی از چرم و روایح حیوانی است.

شاید بشه گفت انتیوس در این گردهمایی بزرگان، کمی گمنام تر و مهجورتر واقع شده است.

بدون نیاز به توضیح مشخصه است که با یک عطر کمپلکس روبه رو هستیم. فضای عطر کاملا مردانه و سنگین اما در عین حالم مهربان است. اصلا نمیشه رایحه اش را قدیمی و از مد افتاده محسوب کرد.

شروع کار ترکیبی از خزه بلوط، چرم و مشک سگ ابی هست که همراهشون رایحه اروماتیک و کمی فرش از مرکبات و گلها به مشام میرسه. ترکیب مرکبات و گلهای به اندازه ای کمپلکس هست که نمیشه بین نت ها تفکیک زیادی قایل شد

انیمال و کثیف بودن رایحه مشک سگ ابی بسیار به اندازه و غیر مشمئز کننده
هست و نسبت به مشک گربه زباد نرم تر و ملایمتر محسوب میشه در کنارش رایحه سبز و خاکی از پچولی و خزه باز هم به تعدیل و تلطیف مشک سگ آبی کمک می کنند. ترکیب سه نت اصلی، یک فضای انیمال، چوبی دودی و خاک مانند رو می .سازه که بقیه نت ها در کنار اینها به بهبود کیفیت و بالانس عطر کمک می کنند

در ادامه رایحه خطی و بدون تغییر باقی می ماند ولی هرچه به انتهای کار نزدیک بشیم فضای عطر اروماتیک تر و سبک تر میشه مخصوصا اگه روی لباس اسپری شده باشه.

میشه انتظار داشت که این عطر بازخورد خوبی بین اغلب مردان بالای 30 سال داشته باشه مخصوصا کسایی که به کارهای کلاسیک علاقه مند باشند. ولی باز بدون تست نباید سراغ هیچکدام از عطرهای کلاسیک رفت.

ماندگاری و پخش خوب هم از نقاط مثبت این عطر بحساب می ایند.

باشد که از عطر جسم به عطر روح برسیم.

جسم مان معطر باد به عطر روحمان.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Earlier this year I wrote a review of Antaeus based on a sample, which I've deleted, as I think I failed to understand this scent and didn't give it enough time. Since then I bought a bottle, and, whilst it still surprises me now and again, I feel in a better position to say what I think about it.
It opens very soapy (from the oakmoss), like talcum powder, with some lemon. I still get this picture of a big guy, freshly showered in the gym after a workout or playing rugby. To me it's both old-fashioned and unique at the same time. After about an hour, with no loss of the oakmoss, a mixture of other notes come through as undertones, making the effect warmer and more complex. In particular I notice the rose after a while.
So it's a powerful fragrance (not in the sense of sillage, I mean in the sense that it evokes strength), and both virile and clean at the same time (hence the reference to "straight out of the shower").
I like it more each time I wear it, and each time it seems to reveal some new, warm undertone.
My only criticism is that it loses sillage quite quickly, after about an hour. Longevity: moderate, about half a day.
I wouldn't be without it now.
February 2016

smokysymphony
smokysymphony

The opening must be on steroids!

Very masculine yet little bit has that type of strong classic women scent in Knowing by Estee lauder and Paloma Picasso.

It feels awesome to wear Antaeus occasionally in winter, but it is literally a crime to wear this in a warm weather.

Chanel's beast.

Alex1984
Alex1984

Just like Kouros, Antaeus is another 80's powerhouse masculine that basically defined the era. Women had Opium and Poison. Men had Kouros and Antaeus. Both (men/women) were equally strong, bold and confident. Both reeked of fabulosity.

My experience with Antaeus is mostly with older bottles, i.e. late 80's/early 90's formulas. A strong, animalic leather scent, herbal, slightly sweet in a fougère style, legend has that it was a perennial scent du jour at gay bars, favorited by leather lovers. I have no experience on that matter, but I'd love to be able to breathe Antaeus, Kouros, and the like rather than 1 Million, Polo and family.

But aside from this anecdote, Antaeus was a fragrance for gentlemen. Refined and suave under its butch appearance, it had/has a certain restrain that it's older brother Kouros, lacks. I adore Kouros just because of that reason. But while civet gets me going, the castoreum in Antaeus speaks to me in a different way. Old world men's club, Chester sofas, cigars and the finest whisky. Slightly bitter due to the clary sage and coriander, slightly sweet due to rose and labdanum, and slightly warm due to myrrh, leather and castoreum.

What I get is primarily leather. Worn and aged, along with some rose/labdanum. Slightly smoky, with the castoreum adding richness and texture rather than being all out animalic. It never was. After all, Chanel was never to create a bulgar and dirty fragrance. But Polge managed to take it to the limit, respecting the codes of the era; strong perfumes, amazing sillage and longevity, just about to enter dangerous territory but never really going there. A guy in his 20's could wear it, just like a man in his 40's or 60's.

After all this time it doesn't feel dated. It has elements to appeal to younger generations, as well as classic lovers. I said some time ago that the state of Chanel fragrances was more or less disastrous. After testing some 2015 batches (the famous restored reforms), of various scents, Antaeus seems to shine quite a bit more than some years back. The smell is very similar to my older friend from the 90's, and the artificial-ness from the last reformulation seems to have subdued as well.
And even though I need 6/8 sprays to get the lasting power of the vintage, I'm very happy with the smell and performance of my current bottle. It feels and smells decidedly Antaeus, and I'm glad to have a bottle until I can get my hands on a vintage one.

2Mehrdad..

پیغامهای خود را و سفارش و خرید را توسط تلگرام انجام بدهید در خدمتیم
@mehrdad_perfume

ZELJO
ZELJO

its raining,an unusual thing in this part of Spain,its very dark,even more unusual...and its my 48 birthday today...a perfect ocassion to wear such flamboyant decadent perfum with this 80s vibe...

JezzaN1
JezzaN1

a bit too sharp and 'old school' smelling for my liking, there is something about it i just don't like. perhaps the animalic notes? as it faintly reminded me of YSL kouros (which i absolutely despise). not for me, but i guess i can see an older man pulling this one off.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I wore this in the 80s and it was an absolute ball buster of a fragrance as was the trend at the time. The silage and longevity were off the charts. I sampled the most current version today and was very disappointed to find that it is much weaket than it used to be and more generic smelling.

Like the 80s themselves, this one is becoming a distant memory of what it once was. It was a time of excess and everyone was in one the act - including Chanel. Now times are much more excessive, but only for a certain sector of the population. Sorry Antaeus, you aren't as great as you used to be, but not much else is either.

mike2342
mike2342

Badass juice i love this scent .Thats all i can say. 10/10 scent
6/10 sillage
10/10 longivity

Sophisticated Redneck

Forget all the vintage hype, vintage Antaeus=YSL Kouros. Recommend going with the current formulation which overall is a smoother fragrance from top to bottom. Just keepin' it real on Fragantica.

Lightning
Lightning

It's definitely a quality-made fragrance, even though I personally don't care for it. It smells like bug spray, but a high quality bug spray. Perhaps for older gentleman - not for the younger crowd.

gedlive
gedlive

It is a very accurate description below by Cerulean.
It has that nice soapy, piney, vib of the 80's but more refined than many. A bit modern for 1981 with the sweetish aldehydes. It reminded me most of YSL's Jazz, which came out 5 years later. Antaeus has the similar aldehydes and fresh spices of Jazz, but it has more Ambery warmth in the base notes. So it is a very comfortable refined old school fougere. I have vintage Jazz and the performance of Antaeus is close to vintage Jazz. So it seems to be a decent present reformulation.

Rating: 8.25/10

Cerulean
Cerulean

★★★★★

The 80s were an era blessed with creativity in all sectors (music, perfumery, film etc)

This 80s creation has managed to keep its character more than his fougere cousin Kouros through time.

It starts with a trademark citrus and aldehydes blast of Chanel elegance accompanied by a green mossy note. It is an impressive initial sensation when you spray it, almost like a dark sky with constant shooting stars. Then it settles to a sweet leathery aroma which is the play between rose, basil and jasmine. Castoreum keeps everything warm and as the scent progresses patchouli makes everything deeper and woodier.

It's very sexy and virile but also sweet and gentle. Antaeus, a giant, son of Poseidon and Gaia, a gentle giant perhaps.

New formulations are less potent than the vintage ones, but it still is a strong fragrance and maintains the original character and Chanel class.

Perfect woody masculine for winter and fall, day and night!

Cassiano
Cassiano

Antaeus comes from the Greek name Antaios which, in Portuguese, is the same as Anteu. According to Greek mythology, Antaeus, son of Poseidon and Gaia, was a giant and powerful fighter, who became known by forcing all travelers passing through his lands, in Libya, to fight with him in a wrestling match. His strength was invincible, since he was always in touch with the power of his mother, the Earth. He was defeated by Hercules (or Heracles), when this one lifted him and crushed his ribs still in the air.

From this story was born the concept for the creation of this fragrance, which depicts a man who is virile and at the same time vulnerable; Masculine, however, sensitive.
In the composition, notes of clary Sage, Myrtle, coriander and lavender on top of the fragrance. Then, rose, thyme, basil and a touch of jasmine are part of the body. Ending, notes of oakmoss, castoreum, labdanum and patchouli from Indonesia. After the reformulations, the list of ingredients still counts with beeswax, citric accord (lime, lemon and bergamot), tobacco and myrrh.

Much is said about the reformulations and it seems that the last took place in 2013. In my opinion, discussing them is a waste of time, since the natural order is that they will keep going on as the restrictions increase. It is important to say that every one who met the original version, argues that the reformulations not ruined the quality and power of this scent. For the most part, the differences tend to involve only questions of creaminess, power, a more leathery output or heavier in patchouli, etc. Is it true?

Antaeus is one of those perfumes that were created to convey the masculinity in its most classical, represented by body hair, mustache and rustic virility. And as expected of the fragrances from that era, they all had very mossy and dry aspects. However, back then, Antaeus had already played with floral nuances under others, more animalic, and this is, in my opinion, the main difference between the versions I tested, simultaneously.

My bottle was manufactured at the beginning of 2010, but I'm not run away from doing a small comparison between both, since I have a fraction of the vintage version, dated from the 90’s. And before you ask me which one is the best, I can say that both are similar along the evolution (especially, after 2 hours of use) and, at the same time, they have significant differences: while the current has a noticeable citrusy aspect over some incense nuances and a mossy base, the older version presented greater nuance of roses, in addition to the strong smell of the labdanum resin and an animalic and very evident facet as a result of the use of castoreum. But it is impossible to compare the projection between them, because the oldest is able to scare, from the moment it touches the skin, reminding me how the fragrances of 20 years back were unique.

Some say that after the last change occurred in 2013, much of the vintage version was rescued. Regarding the 2010 version, it is a really good fragrance, with great durability, but that lacks in projection. The impression it gives is that Chanel tried to tame a wild animal and, therefore, the fragrance ended up getting more fashionable than savage, ideal for wear in formal environments (and clothing). Because of this, every time I am wearing this scent I get the feeling that something is missing.

Apparently, Chanel made the son of the Gods be reborn as a mere mortal.

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

I am trying but not buying .. beyond couple samples. I get way more complex animalic from women fragrances like estee lauder's Knowing, lancome's Magie Noire or Joy by Jean Patou (that one is nothing but animal). This is so close to Yatagan. Frankly, Yatagan would whoop Anteaus in the forest. I do give a proper nod to Chanel. Great scent. However, Once you have sampled the civets in powerhouse women fumes from the same decade - now unisex for men - and know you can layer that with Yatagan at fraction of the price if you need to fougere it up? Or just wear something even better from across the aisle for a third of the price?

Again, excellent fragrance, but once you step outside the confines of what is the 'ultimate' among the masses, I get another nice fragrance. Nothing more, nothing less. The ones mentioned rocked my olfactory world, so did Arpege by Lanvin. Once you widen the field and even try some Al-Rehab Attars for true middle eastern perfume, Antaeus becomes the Wizard in the Emerald City. This product is from a master, western, illusion-making perfume house (and aren't they all?). Chanel does the spells better than anyone else and someone has to be The celebrated, master spell-caster. I have struggled with yes, no, yes, no. Still not buying. This is also true for Chanel No. 5. However, if I was? Buy from Chanel online direct. They actually offer the best price and have free shipping until 12/15/15. You'll also know it's authentic. Me? I'm going to eBay and buy Aramis 900 and Bill Blass Nude.

Greatest scandal of all? I was a Chanel loyalist for decades. I wouldn't even look at another perfumer. This isn't meant to undo all the love here. However, it is Good for Antaeus and Chanel to have a bit of a reality check occasionally.

Dusty520
Dusty520

Um...... wow....

After the past three weeks addicting over the lovely, loud, but still beautifully masculine scent of the current formula I purchased at Neiman Marcus in Vegas; I won in an auction a vintage (not sure what year, and I really care to not even bother, because it's good enough for me at this point) formula (I can tell, simply because of the EDT description above the Chanel moniker.)

Got it in the mail today, happily opened it up and gave my top hand a spritz.

BOOM. Wow. Yowza! Rooowrr! This is a BEAST!

The vintage is a level above the current formulation. That's not saying I dislike the current formula now. I absolutely love it just as much as I love the vintage one. But, the vintage will always be the first one I'd choose if I know I am going to get lucky sex for the night. Because, let me tell ya. The vintage is powerful and that's a fact.

ewanhoozarmy
ewanhoozarmy

This is one of my favourite frags. It makes me so happy. I coveted it for years, dowsing myself whenever I visited a Boots store. Recently, my best friend bought me it for my birthday. Now, of course, I appreciate the current formulation may only be a mere shadow of its former incarnations, however, if that is the case, what a potent creature this must have been!
For me, this is reminiscent of Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui, which appeared on the market in 1980, the year before Antaeus. It is by no means the same, which is confirmed by each scent's pyramid, but I feel they are definitely related. On some days I prefer Antaeus, and on some, it's cousin Pour Lui. I imagine there are many fumes from that era which are closely connected in terms of their ingredients, but possibly not reformulated as well as I feel these must've been to still smell so captivating today. I mention Pour Lui, as I feel if anyone is in the financial circumstances I have found myself in over recent years, then Pour Lui could serve as a very economical substitute for Chanel's animalic, herbal elixir. In terms of longevity and sillage, it is definitely on par with Antaeus, only for a quarter of the price; I picked up 90mls for £14!!

Muzoona
Muzoona

العطر ثقيل جدا في البداية مع كمية من التوابل و الروائح الحيوانية و لكن مع مرور الوقت يتحول الى تحفه فنيه راقية خفيفه و بقاء طويل و فرحان جميل رجولي و يصلح بشكل خاص لليل و لكن ليس على طاولة العشاء لانه طاغي و قد يسبب ربكه مع الروائح الاخرى

Very spicy animalic at the beginning but later on it convert into a masterpiece with very elegant and long lasting. Recommended for night but not for dining. The smell is overwhelming and might disturb the guests on the table.

Marie69
Marie69

Antaeus. Wow. Very different. Today I test an original vintage mini EDT. Now the official notes I do not think reflect this, but I am getting a note of pinon resin. That with alot of animal smells. I normally like men´s scents more than womens, but this one is very neanderthal, even for me. If you like smoky, resins, and alot of animal smells, you may well like Anteaus. One would not likey confuse this with a woman´s perfume----The opaque glass bottle is a good idea to help preserve the delicate oils, and I wonder why more perfume houses didnt use black and dark bottles - back when the perfumes were actually made of essential oils from flora ...and fauna.Just layered Antaeus with Replique vintage and to me this is very good. It is a powdery pinon with slight florals and leather, also woods. Strange opening, but in a few minutes, the drying down is nice.

aderz
aderz

Old classic but still a lovely fragrance.

K1
K1

Antaeus is a rigid animalic chypre for classic addicts. Although after wearing classics for several years, this perfume has not the same effect it had the first I tried, still makes be heart bump with that sophisticated bitter opening. It's smell of muscle and testosterone.

Chanel Antaeus is a mossy animalic woodsy fragrance with utmost level of everything necessary to charm a vintage fan. A bizarre angular-citrus infused in castoreum in the opening. Oakmoss collaborates with its oldsport; labdanum; in the dry down and points out as a symbol of classic hair-chested masculine colognes. Yet, what sucks is volume of synthetic or let's say rude woodsy accord used in Antaeus which delivers a rough surface, and undeepens the overall composition.
It's dark, grayish, green, animalic, warm, and bold
★★★

jtappenden
jtappenden

An aromatic masterpiece featuring an array of notes such as bergamot & leather.The fragrance then develops in a much spicier & woody direction.Not really one of my greatest favourites but very good anyway.

Ricardo the Great

Antaeus - share the fantasy.

Luna_J
Luna_J

Why on earth is no leather indicated in this pyramid? I don't really get a strong castoreum note at all from the current incarnation, but soft and supple, steady and not all that dynamic, classy, a little citric (refreshed rather than acidic), herbaceous leather. Sage, labdanum, myrtle, patchouli, perhaps some vetiver, maybe a touch of Jasmine and sandalwood in an aftershavish, savoury (and not unsavoury) sort of way - and that's it. No complaints, but I've tried it three times over eight months and so far no stars. I'll try again, as the myth (animalic chypre or Greek titan) and the bottle are both too nice to dismiss without a solid trial.

alexiou
alexiou

Along with Kouros from YSL are the most aggressive scents i own.It is a really spectacular fragrance but you must be carefull with the application, unless you want to be noticed from 20 meters away with no wind.For the fainthearted i would not even recommend to try this.But if you are into dark and heavy woody animalic scents or you are looking for something different, then you should at least give it a try.

Anteus is wild and provocative due to the animalic notes of Castoreum and Leather.Smoky and herbal notes come from Labdanum , Myrrh and Thyme which give from my point of view the special edge to the whole composition.The rest notes are typical of this olfactory genre(like Vetiver and Oakmoss)and play also significant role ,because they smoothen and balance the composition and secondary give it an earthy and soothing tone to the aroma.

For the younger crowd that finds Anteus too aggressive, can also spray in the air and pass through the mist.Otherwise spray with caution away from the skin maximal twice in order to shorten the lifespan of the perfume and to moderate the grade of projection.

For the reviewers that find Anteus too dated i have to disagree with them.If this one appeals to you,you should NOT embarrassed by this.YES, Anteus is classic and a little bit old-style but i don't see where the problem is.If you don't annoy the others (due to the nuclear blast projection),then you can easily wear this in the office (with minimal application), going out in the evening or even in a more formal occasion.

Our aspect for everything(including perfumes) based mistakenly upon stereotypes which usually take place subconscious during the early days of life.If someone ,take for instance, smell for the first time Anteus on a handsome man dressed to the nines ,it is very possible to compare Anteus with class and manliness.In my opinion one perfume must appreciated in a very different way.Based on our taste and instincts there's no objective, nor subjective way to criticize a perfume.So,in reality exist not a good nor a bad perfume for us.The perfume preferences reflect just a part of our personality .On the contrary for the perfumers exist criteria of a good or a bad perfume like the complexity ,the longevity and the evolution of aroma.

I would recommend the younger crowd to trust their instinct.The majority of the reviewers -including the younger part -finds Anteus overwhelming and of course me too!Anteus is the epitome of chypres and in general one of the best offerings in the wide market.

VILFI
VILFI

This one I have smelled quite some times, always in stores, it's readily available here. I kind of always liked it but my preconcieved notions told me from the beginning; this is an older scent. Reminiscent of Van Gils but darker. After a couple of tests this grows on me and I can't deny the appeal. Last time I did a spray on my wrist and tried to wash it off because I felt it was too strong for my office. Damn thing didn't come off, that's how potent this is. I still felt the DNA of Antaeus on my wrist the remainder of the afternoon. I am thinking about getting this because I really like it. Masculine, spicy, good.

petroleuse
petroleuse

I have an ancient edt version of this, which I stole form my stepfather, since it has been sitting on a shelf since the 80's! Haha I liked the bottle, and love dissecting perfume, so I decided to review this one. I got hit in the face by a very strong woodsy scent, mixed with a very citrussy opening and it reminded me of a very strong foresty liquere you drink to keep warm in winter time! The citrus dies down, and the more animalistic and leathery notes come up to stabalize into a still very intense but less sharp fragrance. This stage is dominated by sage, oakmoss, leather and patchouli, with deep animalistic notes. I get the rose scent more as a background note, which comes up more as the drydown lets the spicier notes fade. Very complex fragrance. I would never wear it on myself (I am a woman if that means anything), and I would find it much too "much" on somebody else. For me this is more of a relic. I love strong spicey scents, but this is simply too sharp and too leathery + animalistic for my personal preference.

Endymion

I've had a 4ml sample for approximately 10 years now. Always liked this fragrance, tested it at home sometimes only for my own pleasure, but I found it too mature and serious to wear in public, I'm not this character.
However I had the "luck" to get a full tester bottle of Antaeus for a relatively cheap price, I was so happy! Got home, checked the batch code, it was produced in 2013. And now the fragrance, 1 spray: faint smell, 2 spray, 3 spray. Man, it has been soooo watered down!!! This reformulation smells like the deodorant version of my old sample, it's that weak! :S
I'm very disappointed. :(
There're 3 sprays on my wrists and the smell is still mild, tamed. 1 spray of my small sample and it lingers like a fragrant beast, dark and wild.
What happened to this once miraculous perfume? :( I may sell my bottle later but I just don't want to get rid of it so fast after waiting for it many years.
Btw this has the most awsome looking bottle for a male perfume (personal opinion).

Ps. Also got a vintage bottle of Trussardi Uomo and it reminds me a lot of the original Antaeus, altough less potent and more green.

SirMasterpiece

Greetings, I have one thing to say that is straight to the subject, Antaeus and that is : You can't call yourself a man, if ya didn't wear this atleast once in your life! :-)

Oslo-fjord

Luckily, I'm old enough to remember the Antaeus from the 80ies. Todays version is not the same. Both longevity and sillage are quite weak. It's not a powerhouse anymore. If you want to have an idea of how the original (fantastic ) Antaeus smelled like, I will recommend the Deo-stick! That one is actually still quite similar to vintage Antaeus.

fuggerone

I feel the urge for a new review of this every once in a while...using it in extreme heat for several days this summer, let's say 35/39 Celsius with 88% humidity.. quite a lot of sprays (more than 15 from the pre re re formulation bottle, ante 2014 let's say) just a thunderstorm of leather and beewax is what I get most in these conditions.. if you love this scent give it a chance in heavy heat!

simon.edwards
simon.edwards

I'm not a 'classics' kind of guy by any stretch of the imagination; however, as I'm just starting out on my scent journey I figured out of respect I should at least try them.

Antaeus is a strong smelling scent. I don't get any of the citrus notes; instead I get musk and talc in what is a very strong basalmic/aromatic fragrance - i'm guessing the pungent part is the castoreum, which certainly makes it punchy.

In terms of sillage and projection, you'll only need a few squirts and you'll be set most of the day. Put too much on, and you'll be getting 'that' scene from Anchorman.

All in all, a very masculine fragrance - brutish even!

Martin__

I actually own a treasure - two original Chanel Antaeus samples from 1998. I also own a bottle from 2012.

The one from 2012 is harsh, kinda' dirty, with something in the base notes that reminds me of melted plastic. Longevity is outstanding, so is sillage.

The ones from 1998 are creamy, rich, soft and balm. Very balm. Longevity is shorter than in the newer release, but solid. 8-10 hours overall.

1998 is classy.

2012 is wild and bold.

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

A dark, brooding, mysterious Masterpiece of a fragrance. I could imagine Sean Connery wearing this in his role as James Bond, not only because it is highly sophisticated and masculine but because its tone is fitting to a dark-humored, hard drinking, gambling, womanizing, assassin... This is a powerful fragrance that demands respect and oozes quality; it falls in the same class as Santos de Cartier and Hermes Bel Ami, every man over the age of thirty should have one of these "Greats" in his collection... The latest formulation of Antaeus is excellent! Very smooth and rich...

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

wow wow wow:P
I tried Antaeus again yesterday at the counter (where i also snatched a vintage refillable N.19 edt:):) And daamn! i finally got it. First time i tried it 3 years ago, my "virgin" nose was puzzled and judged it a bit old-fashioned and too mature-man like. What did i know:P

This is heavenly, the same magie noire mystery, the leathery honey of Paloma picasso, the purple accord of Poison mingle on a manly oakmoss base. The scent is dark, black, really miles away from modern man-marketed scents, and that's why to the common it smells old-fashioned. But it's not. It's just that designers now choose to make lame watery stuff and thats' what most customers are used to.

Antaeus is potent, assertive, and i cant get enough of that beautiful honey drizzled castoreum, rose and oakmoss.

scent: 8+/10
longevity: 5/10
sillage: 6/10

colhiggs
colhiggs

Disclaimer: I should mention that this is a review based on a bottle purchased at Nordstrum three months ago. I'm assuming it is the "new batch". Having not been old enough in the 80s and 90s to experience the original formulation I have nothing to go by but what I have now. Maybe someday I'll track down a vintage bottle. Until then, perfectly ok with the new version. Having said that....

This is pure sophistication.

A quite bold and masculine scent that will be sure to polarize people, Antaeus is the idea of what a sophisticated man would smell like. I have never been one for "certain scents work better on this or that age group". I'm usually of the belief that if you like it, wear it. However with this, It would probably behoove oneself to be of a certain mindset if you want to dabble in Antaeus. For instance, I can't picture a college student wearing this. At least not comfortably b

Antaeus is a working man's scent. Not just any working man. A man in power. In control. Because of this, I myself sometimes feel it difficult to wear this. I hardly ever wear it to work, and when I do I play it extremely conservatively. One misting over my clothes and maybe a tiny spritz on each wrist. This is certainly a scent that can wear you if you're not careful.

As for the notes, definitely oakmoss strong with labdanum and patchouli. Something a CEO would wear accompanied wih a 20000 dollar suit. It screams in the projection department. Might not last quite as long as one might expect given the immense projection (lasts about 8-10 hours) but it's one that's going to get you noticed. For better or worse.

Many wives and girlfriends today might not like this. It certainly doesn't have the opposite sex appeal that say a le male or Aqua di gio may have. This is one that you wear for yourself. When you feel like a lion. And when you want people to know you're in charge.

Islander 1
Islander 1

I first came across this fragrance in the mid nineties and was hooked with the first whiff. If I had ever conjured up a preconceived idea of a what a man should smell like - this would be it. As many testify to on this site, this is one hell of a beast that really just smoulders all the way through. Being a deep guy, this one really suits my personality.

I really can't enter into the debate between the older batch's verses new, whether that is fortunate or unfortunate I will just have to go with what I have. What I can say though is that recently I repurchased a bottle through ebay here in Australia expecting to get what a lot of people on this site say is the newer less potent variety. Well it turns out I ended up with a mid nineties tester bottle with Eau De Toilette written above Chanel on the front. This is the Antaeus I remember from the nineties. I have only just repurchased this fragrance after twenty or so years without it. Obviously I was somewhat happy with the outcome. I cannot attest to the newer batch's performance as I have not had the opportunity to test them. The juice I have here though is rich and in all sincerity with three sprays it would last a good twenty four hours. Unheard of with all the other poor performers I've had over the years. I hope to test a newer version in the future just to see what all the fuss is about regarding new vs old.

Irrespective this really is a mans scent to be worn by men. All the young hipster, funky arsed young guys should stick to something that they can carry.

By the way, my wife hates this stuff with a passion so it certainly may be a polarising fragrance. A try before you buy for sure.

Two thumbs up from me though!

fraenky
fraenky

it has been reformulated for sure!!!, bought a bottle in 2013, it isn´t projecting like the new formulation, but the scent i have is more cozy and smooth, it´s more like an aura that surrounds you. the reformulation is much heavier on the patchouli and more synthetic smelling.

XLsizeNoodle
XLsizeNoodle

All these people whining about "new formulation being crap and having low longevity and projection", and I'm there having great projection and longevity. Maybe you should stop beating on reformulations for no other reason than them being reformulations.

jude1321

A absolute titan of the industry, perhaps the most iconic men's scent of all time. A personal favorite of mine, along with its cousin the legendary Kouros. So powerful, so high class, so sexy, so amazingly unreal, so beautiful, so long lasting....men's perfumes simply don't get much better than this. The new version is great, but the older versions, where eau de toilette is above the chanel sign on the front of the bottom, are the best. This is a scent that you will love, and will bring back amazing memories of days gone by. This stuff is literally mouth watering and in my top 5 of all time...that's saying a lot, in a lifetime of around 300 bottles. A romantic legend that will never go out of style.

ThePerfumierWorldTraveler
ThePerfumierWorldTraveler

Antaeus is a vampire spell, a potion. Not a cologne, not a fragrance. This is the Masculine of all Chanel Fragrances that truly stands out the most being as unique, dark, with a touch of spell vibe to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Jacques Polge won it's position as Chanels in house Perfumier with this Masterpiece. Antaeus could easily decapitate single handed many fragrances out there in the $300+ range while battling with others such a Kouros, and Aramis. An elixir made for Demigods wearing tuxedos, yet elegant, and captivating enough for Vampires roaming in the streets. A timeless, luxurious, mysterious fragrance. Robes08 from youtube finally gave some recognition to this Masterpiece recently. Many compare this to Pour Loui but todays formulation of Pour Loui does not compare to Antaeus at all. Long live 80's powerhouses!! May the true art of perfumery come back to life!!!

Kocmoc1
Kocmoc1

Just loving this fragrance. At first I got a big sniff out of it and it smelled very distinctive, I can immediately smell the coriander and the myrrh, after a while I smell the castoreum and the oakmoss and it just makes me giggle, this is a very dark, mysterious and formal scent.
It stays very long but unfortunately, because my skin is very dry it doesn't last as long as I would wish it would, projection is good, not too aggressive.

Overall 8/10 for me.

budge
budge

Blind bought this after reading reviews. Love the scent so does the other half and my friends,great fresh fragrance. However, on me after sticking on what seems to me around a quarter of a bottle, 20 mins later,and unless you fall into me,you cant smell anything!. Real shame that. Thought it was gonna be a "powerhouse" like kouros or guerlain l'instant extreme pour home.

bizzybazza
bizzybazza

mmmmm animalic mossey flowery and when i wear it i feel an animal grrrrrr

love it

Martin__

ale chop nailed it totally with comparing current Antaeus formula with any of the older formulations.

Yes, it smells and performs better than 2010-2013 batches. But it can't be compared neither to 90's and especially to 80's version. Simply - not.

Syzygy73
Syzygy73

If people thinking that this current formulation lacks the big balls of the 1981 original I can only imagine how potent that original was. Chanel is consistent class and quality and even if today's Antaeus is toned down it still has enough depth and complexity to complete any man's game. This is animalic and raw in the opening, exuding testosterone as befits an alpha male but later yields to a smoky wood that has a hint of sweet myrhh underneath. A significant fragrance in my view.

[email protected]
montja_k@mtn.co.za

this reminds me of Kouros (The Opening). Then it settles to smell more like Boucheron Jaipur Homme. To me is the combo of these two, its a safe beautiful cologne.

fragcentral
fragcentral

Chanel Antaeus is an amazing masculine woody scent. It is loud and it lasts on the skin for well more than 12 hours, sometimes 24 on me. A little goes a long way. Still, it is versatile and a classic. But it still is relevant today. It's such a manly scent, you can wrestle a bear when you wear it.

10 of 10.

Ricardo the Great

As long as fragrances exist on this planet, hopefully Chanel never stops producing this genuine masterpiece. But if they do, it will indeed be a sad day for humankind. Arguably, one of the greatest male fragrances ever created.

Manny44

Great perfume, Lithe and Lean as the Chanel copy states, but really guys...You would think this was Beaver Spray by the note votes on this page. No note dominates any other in this mix, thats why it smells so smooth. Castoreum should have the same number of votes as every other note in the mix. 10 /10. Great review Joe.Verdict: Not the least bit dated or "Challenging".
Maybe a must have for any man over 30, especially in cooler weather.

joerodeo92
joerodeo92

Does this actually exist in the physical realm I've called reality for 25 years? Impossible. Surely I must be dreaming everytime this scent passes my nose...How can something so satisfying be real? The castoreum, oakmoss, and myrrh are heavenly all on their own. I just can't pinpoint what note/s put/s this over the top. Nothing embodies urbane masculinity like this does. Enigmatic, charismatic, and unpretentious. Dark and smooth. Put Astaire, Grant, Sinatra, and Connery together in a bottle and you have this scent.

smell 10/10
longevity 8/10
sillage 7/10

getcarter
getcarter

Fellow Fragranticans - I just purchased a brand new bottle of Antaeus after many years. I am unable to discern a difference between my original bottles and the new one - I shall leave that discussion to more nuanced noses than my own - suffice to say, it remains a classic! The leather, the castoreum, the clary sage. That richness, that depth - doused myself in it - I am an emperor sex god! I think it has just re-asserted itself as #1 in my pop chart. C'est Parfait! Go Chanel, go Jacques Polge - Les Genies de Parfums! Bravo!

WSAENOTSOCK
WSAENOTSOCK

WOOHOO!!!

I've been wanting to get ahold of this juice since first sniff.

I just scored a brand new 3.4 tester in box for $50.00!!!

King me!!!!!!!!!

ssg

@ale chop Blimey that is good news indeed! Thank you for the info ale chop! Hopefully other people have found this alleged reformulation a good thing too? I had seen a photo of an Antaeus bottle on ebay and it had a black atomiser cap so I thought it was a fake and avoided it! Now I know it is just a new and improved bottle.

How does this latest batch compare with the vintage? I have numerous bottles of the vintage which I think is the best thing since sliced bread! :)

ale chop

@ssg I owned bottles from 2004, 2005, 2012, and i've tested from '80, 2008, 2013... Now i bought another brand new bottle with small, full black atomizer (8101 - SEP 2014) like in the new egoiste (Antaeus had a big, silver spray before)...

New Antaeus smells very rich and aromatic for me, sweet bees wax/ leather/ rose... much better then earlier poor, synthetic and flat versions with clean bottom... Projection and sillage are fantastic too...
It smells all day long with beautiful endless waxy base - not plastic wax as in my 2012 batch!

Other brands should learn from Chanel how to reformulate their fragrances. Antaeus, Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste are perfect examples.

Standing ovation for Chanel!

Its crazy but now I prefer the newest version against Vintage from '80.

Some tips: as I said, newest Antaeus has a small black atomiser but also printed bottom and clear back... only batch on the back or some info in tester version... Good news - they again add caps to testers...

ssg

@ale chop So Chanel have reformulated this AGAIN?! How do you know? I always thought Chanel denied like mad that they EVER reformulated their fragrances!

ale chop

I've tested the newest formula (new bottle, batch: 8101). Outstanding reformulation, deep and perfect as Vintage. Fantastic job Chanel...congratulation! Keep it up!

macdan
macdan

Oh dear. Manly, dark, smoky, sexy. I actually half of the day was considering I like it or I hate it :) I can not imagine actually this on the young guy, this is for a sophisticated man. I have not decided yet if it could my scent, though I can appreciate it.

Dobby465
Dobby465

On me this is exactly how I'd like to smell when I've just stepped out of the shower after using good quality soap. Fresh, clean and fragrant. I love it. Nothing else to say really.

Kain
Kain

Well, honestly I was expecting something else out of this fragrance. based on the main notes and dominating castoreum note I was expecting something extremely animalic with kind of dirty buttery leather type of scent but this is more toward smoky type of leather with only hint of animalic feel.

At the opening I can smell a dark green, smoky, mossy and earthy scent which definitely is something manly.
Even though it has been made in 80's the smell is very modern and It doesn't smell dated at all!

As time passes and in the mid scent gets smokier and more leathery plus hint of dirty animalic feeling of castoreum note which is very lovely.
In the base I can smell pretty the same smell only a little bit more smoky and earthy.
It's a completely linear scent and do not expect something very complex. what you get at the opening is exactly what you will get till the end.
Projection is strong and longevity is something between 7-8 hours on the skin.
It's a solid masculine scent but I was expecting something much more daring and much more complex!

راستش شخصا توقع چیز دیگه ای از این عطر داشتم که اصلا برآورده نشد. با توجه به اینکه ظاهرا رایحه غالب این عطر رایحه کاستوریوم هست من توقع یه عطر با بوی بسیار کثیف، حیوانی، کره ای و چرمی که خاصه رایحه کاستوریوم هست رو داشتم اما نوع حس چرمی این عطر بیشتر از نوع دودی هست و فقط کمی حس حیوانی در اون حس میشه

تو رایحه ابتدایی من یه بوی قوی دودی و چرمی به همراه رایحه سبز و تاریک خزه بلوط و یه بوی خاکی حس میکنم که کاملا حس مردانه و سنگینی داره
با اینکه عطر کلاسیک و متعلق به دهه 80 میلادی هست اما به نظر من بوی خیلی مدرنی داره و اصلا قدیمی نیست

با گذر زمان و تو رایحه پایه بوی عطر همونه منتها کمی دودی تر میشه و حالا یه مقدار تم بوی حیوانی و کثیف به خودش میگیره اما نه زیاد
تو رایحه پایه هم بوی عطر دقیقا همینه فقط یه ذره باز دودی تر و کمی خاکی تر میشه
در کل بوی خیلی یکنواخت و خطی داره و اون چیزی که در ابتدا به مشام میرسه دقیقا همون چیزی هست که تا آخر شما حس خواهید کرد
پخش بوی خوب و نسبتا بالایی داره و ماندگاریش بین 7-8 ساعت روی پوست هست که رقم خیلی خوبیه
صادقانه بخوام بگم شخصا توقع یه عطر خیلی کمپلکس تر و سنگین تر و خاص تری ازش داشتم که اصلا برآورده نشد
کار خوبیه اما اصلا در حد انتظاراتی که ازش داشتم نبود

landshark321
landshark321

Wood, spice, leather, tobacco, and perhaps even incense---Chanel's Antaeus is the wintersection of all of these aspects, and as usual, I regard a fragrance that involves different characterizations like this to be on the more versatile (situationally and seasonally) and less trendy side. Antaeus fits the bill in the cold weather corner of fragrances, as its density and darker character would make it difficult to pull off on a warm day. It opens with a slightly sharper sage element but devolves into the aforementioned blend. It conjures sophistication, stability, and maturity---certainly not the very young man's scent. Projection and longevity and both strong for an EDT.

Some reviewers have classified this as the winter counterpart to summer's Pour Monsieur. I've only recently retried the latter, and bought both the EDT from overseas and the new EDP domestically in the US, and I agree that Antaeus is a classic alongside both versions of PM (even the concentree, too). Antaeus is a must-try for those who revere a classic masculine fragrance. Another Chanel staple.

8 out of 10

cytherian

I wasn't paying much attention to the notes listed here as I've been enjoying Antaeus (the vintage version). Certainly the castoreum is there, as well as oakmoss, patchouli, myrrh, leather... But something about the blend of other notes was creating an illusion for me. Like... unsweetened grape juice. I had to look over the notes again to try understanding this. I believe it has something to do with how the rose is accompanied by the citrus and herbs. I don't smell rose as it typically appears in other fragrances.

And you just can't miss that beefy castoreum note, which is now muted in the current formulation.

There is much more of a difference between the older and newer formulations than you'd expect. The newer one is more easy going, more wearable, while the older is way too bold for formal wearing. You have to be careful with how many sprays you indulge, or you'll end up intruding into other people's personal space. I think they're both worth owning, but if you really want to experience Antaeus in all its glory, get yourself some vintage juice! You won't regret it. Even if you can't wear it to work, just having it for home use... wow. It's amazing and worthy of its legendary status.

Lynee'99

ummmmmm....Anteaus. It brings back memories of a former love whom I bought this for after following a man through Saks asking him what was that scent. What can I say, it is just so damn sexy. Warm, sensual, with great sillage. For all the men out there, please never stop wearing Anteaus. And maybe, just maybe you will pass me on a crowded NYC street so I can stop in my step, turn, and take it all in as you pass my way.

scotrob
scotrob

Oh....WOW! THIS is the fragrance I have been searching for all my life....it takes the leather of Fahrenheit, the incense of Fahrenheit Absolute, the woodiness of Bogner Wood....and then mixes them in the most dark, masculine fragrance imagineable....not too sweet, not too bitter....this was made for wearing with a tux....or with a biker jacket....as some have rightly said: it is the KING

Actually....it cannot be compared to any other fragrance, even those classic ones I listed above...try it and realise that your life will never be the same again

sam ldh
sam ldh

Synonym for Distinguished masculine perfume. A milestone in men's fragrances,out of this world smell,literally oozing style, class and luxury.

Besides the mighty Kouros, the only other "king " in men's perfumes!!
One loaded with Civet, the other with Castoreum, two notes which defined extremes of virile, animalic masculine qualities a perfume can project!

If not a full bottle, atleast a decant from a friend is a must, provided you owned one out of these two Kohinoors, the biggest diamond from my motherland,India!!

Happy Sniffing!

Sam Singer

Ricardo the Great

If you're not wearing Antaeus, you're just not living. Long live the King!

ssg

@roozbeh.rezaie - you say you wish Antaeus had better sillage?! Are you serious? Most people on here would agree that Antaeus is a sillage monster! I think it may be that you are anosmic to Antaeus after you've sprayed it on you. Let me assure you, others will definitely smell this Chanel classic on you when you wear it in their presence! ;d

Starcounter
Starcounter

"Long live Antaeus."
THE Masterpiece for men by Chanel.
Nothing more to say...

roozbeh.rezaie
roozbeh.rezaie

Great classic.king of the scent.I wish it was better in sillage.

Louismanuel
Louismanuel

As a Chanel fan I was curious for a non Summer fragrance of this house.
I only tested it once but middle notes and drydown are in my idea very similar to Pour Lui from Oscar de la Renta. Old school (1981- 1980) overwhelming, sillage & longevity monsters.
Main difference: bought last year OdlR for 18 €/90 ML
Having already two other fragrances from the same period (Cartier Santos 1981 & Davidoff Zino 1986)
Even for an old 59ner this is more than enough for me from the old days of beasty male fragrances.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

Antaeus is the juice for the initiated. I know it sounds pretentious, but if your frame of reference is aqua de gio and beyond, you won't get Antaeus. Sorry.
Agree with many reviews here that you need to be of a certain age to appreciate its beauty. It was overwhelming in my youth.
This, along with Kouros, Yatagan, Paco, etc. were the offerings for men back in the day. A sad cry from what we are experiencing nowadays with countless flankers, and mass marketed commonality. How can you enjoy a fragrance that smells exactly the same as every other one in the whole store???
And that's what these beauties had. Character.
Yes, it has been reformulated and surely does not smell like it used to; however, this will be a niche, much sought after juice today if you were to switch the juice to a different bottle, different name.
Long live Antaeus.

Oslo-fjord

The 2014 batch has been improved regarding smell, but the sillage and stayingpower has not been improved.

Dcarlo
Dcarlo

Antaeus is a fragrance that requires certain maturity to be appreciated as the superb creation it is.
As a teenager and even on my 20's I hated it.
Now I had to try it again and I can say with all certainty that this is one of the best male creations in perfumery.
I find it incredibly masculine, elegant and alluring.
The balsams, patchouli and resins are so misterious and intriguing.
Definitely it's a night scent, perfectly suited for a tuxedo or a black suit.
I still can't pull it off, Im not that mature or elegant to wear it.
But for sure I will wear it maybe ten years from now.
Antaeus is pure elegance, charm and mistery in a bottle.

ssg

Hello all. I have an early 80s 100ml boxed vintage splash after shave that I am selling. If anyone is interested, please private message me. I can only sell within the UK unfortunately, because of postage restrictions with perfumes.

SNOOPY
SNOOPY

It's a good uber masculine fragrance.
A chypre I think it is called.
Strong & long lasting.Excellent projection.
To be honest all the complaints about reformulation bother me if only because I can't find a 30 year old bottle to buy let alone try.Makes me feel like I cannot give it a proper review.
This juice just works.If you are in your twenties most likely not something you will enjoy if sweet or aquatic is your preference.
Good that Chanel still produces this classic
When you wear this you should never apologize.

Paul977
Paul977

The King =)

yourfriendmarito

I read the comments regarding the lack of power of this fragrance as opposed to the previous version. I have a bottle bought in 2012 or 2013 and 3 sprays is the maximum that I can spray. It is the most powerful fragrance I own. It also last forever. It is stronger than my A*Men. Honestly, if it was stronger, it would be really too much and I could be smelt from the moon!

Stromboli

Édit. After having worn the so called better 2014 batch, i can tell you that the mighty beast is resting in place. ... no sillage AT ALL,no projection.my wife remembers the dark potent scent of the 80s and told me to spray the whole bottle. ..
I live in thé north east of France and am lucky enough to visit thé Chanel boutique in Luxemburg city.
Thé SA had to acknowledge this no longer was Antaeus:few natural ingredinets.
Now whoever say 2014 is back to the old standards is lying or having a wishful. ..
All the powerhouses of thé 80s are fine.
If you want sillage , the last designer s monster the money is Mugler s A*men.
At least this is my modest opinion.

MARFUOFFICIAL
MARFUOFFICIAL

I have one bottle year 1985 my vote 9/10
I have one bottle year 2014 my vote 6/10

Stromboli

True indeed, batch 2014 is an improvement.
Chanel have given some ( not enough to my taste ) steroids to the weak 2013 batch. It's not the vintage one for sure but it's worth having.

platinum14
platinum14

Throwback Thursday!
I am wearing the very first scent that I ever bought, from the very bottle: Antaeus.
My 50 ml splash bottle is now 31 yrs old and the scent is exactly as I remember it. It doesn’t feel tired, off, and none of the notes seem to be missing. It has kept so well that I am amazed and instantly taken back to my college years.
Last year, i bought a new bottle of Antaeus. The scent in that new bottle has the same “feel” as my vintage Antaeus, but the head notes are a bit weird– like the fragrance needs time before it can focus on what it’s supposed to be. The power of the new version is also like that of a toothless lion. The vintage version roars! I will continue to save the remains of my vintage bottle for those special days.
Still a good fragrance in its current formula, but it lacks the punch of the original.

Ricardo the Great

I keep reading reviews and comments about the vintage v. reformulation. Many still assert that the reformulation is weak and doesn't project, no longevity. I have both, a sample vintage and full bottle of the current Antaeus. Folks, there is very little difference between the two, very slight. The opening is different, but the drydown is essentially the same frag. Only an advanced fragrantician would notice any difference. As for the lack of projection and longevity with the current formula, absolute nonsense. Modern Antaeus is still a beast and can dominate a room. Whether you have vintage Antaeus or Antaeus 2.1, it's a great fragrance through n through.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

I did not think dated or old school, and even smelly as I read kkkkkkkkkkkk

I think elegant, hot, sexy, manly, differentiated, long lasting to the extreme and smells beautifully!

UdayLalan
UdayLalan

"Spray it again Sam, for old time's sake"
So I sprayed again and the difference is
evident. I bought the new bottle from Chanel
Boutiqe in Mumbai.

Its like the body is there but the soul... gone.
Probably new regulations are the culprits.
But this still would be a great scent for someone
who has not tried the early version.

Projection and longevity are good if not massive.

Bunino

King Antaeus. Long live the king.

junior halston

The best from Jacques Polge the fragrance has a very baroque character like his Coco creation, they are both rich defined fragrances, Coco with its florals and spice and Antaeus with it's leather and spice.

I've worn Antaeus for many years and Chanel has done an excellent job in reformulization without disrupting the character of this fragrance.

Sorendara
Sorendara

Someone below commented that this is a lot like Tom Ford's Italian Cypress. I agree, but the castoreum and oak moss notes are strong enough in this to make it an even more masculine scent.

A bit too masculine for most women, I imagine. At least too masculine for me. And although I like it, I'd prefer any men around me go with Italian Cypress if they're headed in this general direction.

gfelton505
gfelton505

I have been wearing this stuff off and on for decades, since the 80s when I bought the large bottle I still have, kept in a dark, cool place. It smells as great now as it did then. The manner in which I have been able to ration it for so many years speaks to its strength.

Starts out a little sharp and cloyingly sweet but settles in to a lovely blend of flowers and herbs with a barely noticeable spicy, woodsy backbone. Becomes more exotic and patchouli influenced as the day wears on but retains a fresh powdery note too.

Definitely a cold weather scent, day or night. If Chanel classics are your thing, this stuff is to winter what Chanel Pour Monsieur is to summer

Sophisticated Redneck

If you're not wearing Antaeus, you're living a lie.

sniffmaster
sniffmaster

It's obvious to me that Antaeus is a heavy masculine chypre, no more and no less. It smells dirty, animalic, mossy and sort of sweet. There are some woody and herbal notes in Antaeus to give it a masculine aromatic edge, but what dominates by far is the base blend of labdanum (providing the semi-sweetness), castoreum (providing a urine-like, animalic punch) and oakmoss. It's what I consider to be Antaeus' signature smell, and any other ingredients it contains, like beeswax, florals, sage and patchouli, are there merely to embellish it. It's a powerful, heavy and long lasting smell, and I just love it.

A lot of people call Antaeus an Eighties powerhouse fragrance. Although it's ultra-masculine and very strong, with nuclear sillage and amazing longevity, I'm on the fence with that label for Antaeus. I think it's too old school in style to qualify, believe it or not. When I wear Antaeus, I never associate it with the other power frags from the Eighties at all. For me, Antaeus smells very classic, old school French in style, and that's mainly due to the heavy labdanum, castoreum and oakmoss it contains. It has a lot more in common with classic perfumes like Ho Hang, Moustache, and Miss Balmain than it does with stuff like Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui or Drakkar Noir.

Vintage fans have called the current version of Antaeus a disgrace and a "shadow of its former self". I say nonsense. I have a decant of vintage Antaeus, and though it's a little bit different and slightly better, it's not a deal breaker at all. Antaeus used to be slightly warmer and better balanced than it is now. Antaeus now has somewhat harsher top notes, and there's a slightly more heady floral angle to the middle stage, but it's still unmistakably Antaeus. It still has monstrous sillage and lasts more than 12 hours on my skin. New Antaeus suits me just fine.

Antaeus remains an outstanding fragrance, with its inimitable old school style.

MY RATING: 9/10

udsar

ah dreamy parfum... really.

Loewengel
Loewengel

At first, I found it very 80s, actually, reminded me of Youth Dew, by Estée Lauder, I might be wrong, but that's the first impression I got from the fragrance. Then, it develops and evolves in a very unique way: warm, leathery, earthy, with a strong prescence, yet subtle and delicate. Even when it smells old, it's also contemporary, because I'm more than willing to wear it and nobody will think of it as old. It definitely has a niche quality. I sprayed it on my left wrist at 7 pm, I washed my hands several times, I took a shower before I went to bed and at 1 am, the scent was still there, not strong, but it could be easily smelled, just like my skin exuded it. I want it now, It's one of my objects of desire.

Halalay

2014 Update: (previous mistakes) Fixed & (now only) "Modernized" (i.e., toned down without the castration performed on prior occasions). Three hurrays to Chanel, for "they listen" to critics and mend their ways! Chanel, you know how NOT to disappoint your customers. Bravo!

2015 Update:
You can test it at any Neiman Marcus store. I sprayed some on my wrists and neck and it lasted, and lasted, and lasted (14+ hours - my wife could smell it at 3:00 AM after I had spritzed it on at 11:00 AM the previous day). 'nough said about its "lack of longevity"... Here's the rub: habituation tricks your brain to sense it less and less, to the point that you no longer think it's there! But, after smelling just the nozzle of Hermes Equipage for a few seconds, I could sense the wonderful scent of Antaeus on my wrist (6-8 hours after spritzing) as I remember it from 30 years ago! I repeated this test three or four times, and it was plain clear that my brain chooses to ignore this phenomenal fragrance "after a while". So, IT IS THERE, AS GOOD AS IT ALWAYS WAS, but the brain plays a magic mirror trick on you! Maybe the sense of smell ages in sync with one's body... I was so stunned that I could NOT help myself but buy a 3.3 oz bottle from chanel.com for (only!) $90 + tax & FREE shipping! This is MUCH BETTER value than the much praised Sycamore. Antaeus is definitely in a league all of its own, just like Kouros: uber-masculine like Kouros, but without the crotch vibe. I love both, also Yatagan, but I am leaning towards Antaeus right now, as far as daily wear goes.

olfactorium
olfactorium

The original 1981 release of Chanel Antaeus is my muse. It sits on Mount Olympus with the other gods, but has no peer. I accord it all of the adulation and fond remembrance that is available in my heart and memory for a fragrance, as if for a dead lover. Everything that I am becoming, “Fragrantically” speaking, is wrapped up in this attar. It stands alone, an ineffable, opulent and brooding singularity. Antaeus represents to me the vigor and beauty of a man’s body and everything that wealth, luxury and the bounty of the Earth have to offer. No anecdotal referencing is required: just pure, deep, darkest purple emotion flickering eternally in my mind‘s eye.

ivan_pepen99
ivan_pepen99

I read a lot of reviews sayin Antaeus is for old men... I don't think that, I'm 15 and I wear it, I love it and my friends love it too. This perfume is not for everybody tho, guys of my age use 1 Million by Paco Rabanne and I think is the only perfume they can use lol but for me this perfume is perfect, it matches perfectly to my personality, the way I am and every note of Antaeus smells perfect on my skin. It smells like elegance, dark, interesting, sophisticated... And this is me, all those adjectives match perfect to my "me". When i first tried it I fell in love, I wanted so bad so after a week I took a train to Chanel store and i bought it. Just perfect, i can't say anymore, perfect.
And it has a lot of longetivity, I put the perfume and I leave my house at 8:15 to school and when I arrive at 15:45 I CAN STILL SMELL THE PERFUME IN MY ROOM. Amazing.
I put a 10 on everything.

qatarkind
qatarkind

It smells like burning leather bag with some pieces of woods inside it. I bought it but it's not for me just for old men. Too dark too strong.

ThatMakesScents

So after reading about an improved post 2013 reformulation I went to Bloomingdales today to re try what I have already owned and gotten rid of (reformulation 2013).

As it plays out on my skin for almost 40 minutes now I can smell a subtle difference to what I had in 2013 but it is only a slight improvement that I can tell.

It seems to be more masculine with the floral aspect toned down which I like but the rest is toned down as well...including the masculine aspect of it. The dry down is way better but it's too soft to be Antaeus. Turn up the volume please ! I guess for $84 you can do a lot worse.

On another thread people were bashing Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I think TV is way better than this current reform even if it gets cloying.

To each his own I guess but I don't think either version is worth owning 2013 or post 2013.

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

Intoxicating richness - a classy melange of burnt woods, flowers, castoreum (for true mens), smoky, herbs and leather.
Words are insufficient to describe this sensual beast - a masterpiece that comes from the golden age of perfumery. Almost too good for these days...

Longevity: 20 h
Projection High

ssg

Ladykiller, I think that there are probably many of us on here who would say that Antaeus is a true Chanel classic, rather than being 'dated' as such....

Also, I started wearing this when I was 14. I don't think you have to businessman in your 30s or 40s to wear it - surely if you like it at any age, you should wear it? :)

LadyKiller
LadyKiller

Antaeus is my favorite Chanel fragrance ever.
It is incredibly complex rich luxurious and overall an amazing composition.Some say It is kinda dated I have to agree on that.It is dated but only for some specific gentlemen It might not come across dated you have to be 45+ to pull this one off or a 30+ businessman.
Scent : 8.5/10
Projection Longevity Sillage : 9/10
Overall : 8.5/10

donimili
donimili

This is, by far, the best perfume for men. At least, it's my favorite. To me it's soapy, fresh and little bit spicy. First class scent. Smell of well groomed, clean, neat man.
Too bad my darling doesn't like it, but I would loooove to have it.

Vicarious Reality
Vicarious Reality

Dark and sinister
Longevity is more than 12h by far, not so good when the intense woody wafts batters your brainsac
Not sure if i like it, it is scary

... oh damn, i accidentally sprayed a full push on my cheapo plywood table... strange, it seems to smell very different there

pingoon
pingoon

this juice makes me feel good, the leather and the beewax are incredible..all the nonsense about the vintage only is making me sick..I totally adore this scent..I use several flacons every year! 'Nuff said!

jovejove
jovejove

One of the most underrated fragrances out there. When it comes to the rest of the Chanel fragrances, this is probably the only one that I think is worth it when it comes to creativity, masculinity and sophistication. The rest of Chanel men's I consider teenager quality or introductory fragrances for people who like soap. Too many people out there have a stick up their you know what when it comes to Chanel; " I ONLY wear CHANEL...I've been wearing it for YEARS!". Coincidentally, those people are the ones that also need a serious makeover...it's just Chanel...

Don't get me wrong, I respect *5, Coco, Coco Mademoiselle, *19 and the rest of the regular line of women's Chanel fragrances, but come on! It's fragrance. People acting all like they're Karl's BFF and Gabrielle's favourite extended family member. This one is the only one that I can say has the bullocks out of the men's line. Platinum Egoiste comes in second for standing it's ground, but the rest are whatever. For the most part, the only reason Chanel sells is because it's "Chanel". They could put out a fragrance that smells like the worst rated celebrity fragrance out there and it'll still sell like crazy.

This comment doesn't apply to the exclusive line, just the signature fragrances.
End of rant

roman_turism
roman_turism

Great perfume I use it along with Antaeus Emulsion Après Rasage and Antaeus Deo Stick. Highly recommend if you love animalistic fragrances (unlike the stinky YSL Kouros) . One of my favourite along with Chanel Egoiste and Dior Homme. All suitable for cold weather.

trippy
trippy

even the last reformulation is great.... you only need to overapply a bit, great leather and beeswax.. incredibly sexy! Even in hot weather this juice is still magical!

silentman26
silentman26

Sophisticated, sharp and elegant. Raw castoreum, warm but dry and really close to leather. Animalic but friendly. Notes of jasmine, herbs and Myrrh project great. Versatile, classy, masculine. Fun to wear. One of the best. A Timeless classic!

Redbeard
Redbeard

Initially a lot like Bel Ami, but the leather here is a bit more rubbery or plasticky, closer to Z-14 (sorry, guys); maybe this is the supposed beeswax. Still, it has a directness that I like, an apparent economy of notes, leaving it less overbearing than it would be if it were more busy. The opening wood notes seem to me to recede into the middle, which unfortunately leaves the mustiness more apparent. Toward the base, though, a woody exotic cinnamon comes to the fore, and I like this component; if you stripped everything else away it would be rather mild, a lot like Bogart Witness. To my disappointment, though, much of the initial pungency remains. Overall, it's a lot smoother and less harsh (but not weaker!) than a lot of other 80s leather frags, so I respect it for being good, by my standards, within its peer group. Still, in the end, Antaeus like so many leather scents is just too heavy and tiring for me. I do appreciate the formality, but if I were attending a state dinner with royalty I'd probably choose something like Richard James or Heritage.

Jason Bogie
Jason Bogie

I could not wear the vintage. And a chap in my office could smelled from 50m away. The new juice is much better, and I think batch 2014 is an I improvement on 13.

miromoro151
miromoro151

People need to stap bashing the Current Antaeus in favor for the Vintage one.

Not everyone was born during, or had the opportunity, to experience the Vintage one. Sure it must have been stronger with heavier doses of the ingredients, but that doesnt mean Chanel would produce "a thin shadow of its former self" version of one of its best sellers, esp. having such a cult following.

I havent smelt the Vintage, but i own the latest version of Antaeus, and it is gorgeous, from top to very bottom. Feels thick and rich, and fills the room and ive gotten plenty of compliments on how good and "beautiful" it smells. It actually turns women on.(True Story)

Stop living in the past everyone, theres beauty in everything, just know how to look for it, and you will find it.

I love my Antaeus, I hope the rest of you enjoy yours too, old or new.

Ricardo the Great

Masterpiece men's fragrance for mature men (age 35+). It's a classic that can't be found in today's modern fragrances. Most definitely not a fragrance for youth (teens/early20s).

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Parfüm ile ilgili görüşlerimi aktarmadan önce açıkça söylemeliyim ki Antaeus en beğendiğim ilk 5 arasında. Bunu söylememin nedeni bu parfümü ciddi şekilde rahatsız edici bulanların olması. Sonuçta bu bir zevk ve algı meselesi olduğu için normal. Antaeus pazarlama, popülerlik gibi meseleler dikkate alınsa muhtemelen üretilmezdi. Zaten az sayıda parfümü olan bir marka için risk olabilirdi. Ancak parmümün arkasında bir dev marka, Chanel var.

Parfüm ilk anından son anına kadar "ben oldukça sert bir erkek parfümüyüm" diye bağırıyor. Bu anlamda mesajı açık.

Kunduz yağı ve meşe yosunu ön planda ve baskın. Kokunun değişik notalar vermek, değişim geçirmek gibi bir derdi yok. Ancak parfüm ile ilgili kesin bir görüş sahibi olabilmeniz için üzerinizde en az 5-6 saat denemeniz lazım. Çünkü sert yapısı özellikle ilk dakikalarda rahatsız edebilir. Kouros kadar sert değil. Laden sevdiğim bir koku ve arka planda da olsa kendisini hissettiriyor.
Kalıcılık ve koku dağılımı çok başarılı. Sıcak ve nem olmadığı sürece ve çok fazla almadıysanız etrafa rahatsızlık vereceğini sanmıyorum. Ancak her ortamda baskın olacaktır.
Gençlere uygun değil. Ancak her gencin 35 sonrasında parfümü olmaya aday. Benim için Antaeus açık bir şekilde temel parfümlerden. Bir ay boyunca farklı parfümler kullandıktan sonra elim Antaeus a gider. Bazı parfümlerle ilgili görüşüm zaman içinde değişiyor. Ancak Antaeus her zaman aynı yerde duruyor. İlk başta da yazdığım gibi benim için en iyi 5 içinde ve muhtemelen hep orada olacak.

Manny44

The best blended and just plain best fragrance from the "80"'s Masculine genre. I 'm not sure when or where i would wear this or If I could even pull this off, but come colder weather I think I will give it a try and see what feedback I get. Lol....A beaver being the first note people see on this fragrance is a little frightening but be assured this is more floral and Myrrh than you may expect.10/10.Dry down is brighter and more clean-floral than expected.
P.S. just wanted to take a moment to pay my respects to Jacques Polge and the monster fragrances of the last three decades he has produced ( i.e. Antaeus,The entire Allure line!!!, Egoiste, Platinum Egoiste, Bleu). Each the defining Mens perfume of its time.

ssg

BLOODY BRILLIANT BEAST! There. Three words that have not been said in any reviews on here so far ;)

I cannot think of anything else to say to describe this phenomenal juice that has not already been said before; incidentally, I'm talking about the 'vintage' EDT here, which is more like an eau de parfum when compared to the EDT modern formulation.

I started what was initially an on-off love affair with Antaeus in 1985, when I was 14 and living in Brussels and a school friend gave me a miniature. I distinctly recall my mum saying that she liked it and it reminded her of aniseed! Hmmm. Wonder which note that would be?

Antaeus and I parted ways several times over the years as I tried different scents, but I would always come back to the Greek demigod. About 3 years ago, when I became more interested in fragrance collection, I discovered the vintage Antaeus, whose heady scent took me straight back to those carefree and happy days in the mid 80's in Brussels.

I was quite shocked at the difference between the vintage and the modern formulation, so I set on a quest to track down and stockpile the rich and regal vintage which I cannot get enough of in the cooler autumn and winter months here in England; all this said, the modern Antaeus could have been so much worse, if you look at what other perfume houses have been up to with some of their shameful reformulations... I wonder what Coco Chanel would think of some of the reformulations of her legendary perfumes? She is probably looking on from the other side right now with cigarette in cigarette holder, one eyebrow slightly raised and a wry smile, knowing that when she was around, the Chanel perfumes were at their best....

Oh, dear Antaeus, thank you for coming back into my life; I promise never to abandon you again! :d

Postscript - there really is no right or wrong age to be wearing this scent. It does not fit any specific age category and is a true classic. If you love it and you're 14, wear it, as I did. If you love it and you're 80, then wear it!

lollero
lollero

I got a sample and fell in love immediately. It was so rich, strong and smoky! I bought a bottle but it smelled like urine. I was so dissapointed that I didn't use it for a long time. Then after a time I decided to test it again and it was almost as the sample but still I smelled the difference. The reformulation lacks the richness of the old smell. I definitely detect beeswax in the drydown and it's delicious and warm. When the wheater gets colder I will be using this a lot more!

petrhsr
petrhsr

During the recent reformulation it was castrated. Still a nice-smelling scent, and offers bang for your bucks, but it's a eunuch compared to the stuff in the 200mL bottle I have from 2008.

Marciu

Antaeus is definitely a fragrance that you have to grow up to wear. Well, not you actually, rather your taste.

At the beggining of my "fragrance journey" which actually started about 2,5 years ago, it choke me out. I smelled the strip and said: "WTF?!" and then "No, thank you for that".

I absolutely love and adore warmth and coziness which gives me opening of this fragrance. Very herbal, a bit smoky and warm. This goes into quite sharp spices, mainly sage (probably blended with coriander), mixed with rose and jasmin. Drydown is raw, wild and animalic - castoreum and beeswax (which is not listed in the notes breakdown but I feel it clearly) reign over the other notes.

Longevity is about 10-12 hours, sillage is very good within about 6-7 hours. Don't overspray because you will choke people out!

Like its "brother" Kouros, which is also 33 now, Antaeus fits better to formal suit IMO. Age range - I don't care about it, but I think teens won't "understand" it, so I'd say that if you're 20 and up and you have quite refined taste, go ahead and try it, you might like it.

Personally I grew up to wear it. And I think I'll be buying a big bottle around fall.

LanceDior

If kouros is Stanley Kowalski, Antaeus is Vito Corleone. Both are Marlon Brando.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

If the color dark green had a smell, it would be this. Tom Ford must of had this in mind when he created Italian Cypress, as they smell so similar.
Musky, green, masculine and woody is how I describe this. A classic.

udsar

bu parfümün alt notaları muhteşem. giriş notaları pek iç açıcı değil, orta notaları tatmin edici, ama sadece alt notaları için bile o kadar para verilir.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A magnificent, raw but refined opening of musky castoreum, warm but dry and really close to leather (like in Knize Ten and other classics), but gently softened by aromatic woods, spices and silky colourful hints of flowers. Animalic but friendly and elegant, it has a typical fougère "gloominess" but it also appears more "young", relaxed and modern than most of other more classic and austere fougères, and also more sophisticated and sharp. The evolution is quite predictable, as it remains a castoreum-leather smoky accord, just drier and lighter as hours pass. Restrained and noble, always without being too shady or heavy, rather keeping it slightly "airy" and more lively thanks to rose, jasmine and fresh tasty herbs like thyme and sage. Versatile, classy, cozy, masculine. Timeless classic!

8,5/10

paulhunter
paulhunter

This juice is freakin me out in a good way :) I think it's interesting because the first adjective that comes to mind for this perfume is obviously "MANLY!!" yet it's undeniably a floral fragrance. The castoreum note definitely gives that masculine connotation over a very elegant floral musk base. I couldn't wear this myself but I will happily sniff away at the paper strip I sprayed with this :)

josesantoscarvalho
josesantoscarvalho

Antaeus was my FIRST EVER serious fragrance, back in the 80's! I was a teenager and I fell head over heels with it! It was the closest think to a light and delicate punch in the nose I ever got!
For many years my signature fragrance, it's true that these days it's much tender than it used to be... no punch, just a slight nudge.
But great and very unique. It's new acquired softness and gentleness makes it closer to some of the Les Exclusifs de Chanel.
A must have for men who like themselves!

yourfriendmarito

I am 44 now. It is the perfect age to use this scent. I have the impression that I was too young to pull this off before. I really love it. It is a masterpiece, I cannot live without it.

Dioguh
Dioguh

This one.. this one is a lord scent.. this is the stuff.. i will buy it after summer =)

Jefdaj
Jefdaj

Welcome to the dark side. Antaeus is the King of the ring and if the force is strong in you, it will suit you well. Nothing for the gmo - unisex population :-)

GoodVibrations

Although it is no longer the dark, mossy green sillage beast of infinite depth that it used to be, it works now it its new iteration. This year's batch is better than last year's. The reformulation was previously like a pile of Antaeus' bones that weren't connected as a body. Now it has taken on shape, connection, and smoothness, and it's not quite like anything else. It nears Kouros territory, but it does not have Kouros' chalky wet cement feel. Antaeus reads like a Chanel, albeit one that's far removed from the rest of the line, so there is continuity with the Chanel brand. It is now arguably Chanel's best offering for men. It smells like a man's musk; the globes of manhood.

periquito89
periquito89

Antaeus is a bold scent, consistent and very long lasting. Sillage is great too. There's a very familiar smell that I got from some traditional women perfumes. It´s something surely associated to my past memories which is not meant to be a bad thing, otherwise I wouldn't like Dior Homme. The scent is out of the standards of today's modern scents which can be a good or a bad thing according to one's taste, be aware of that. I didn't knew it on its time to have a feel of how would be wearing it, alongside with Polo Green, Azzaro, Kouros, Jazz, Tsar and other classics. My former secretary simply love it - was her husband's scent.

mamali1976
mamali1976

Fantastic..
امروز خريدمش با اينكه خداى ادكلن بازيم اين يكى رو نداشتم تا حالا ولى انصافأ حرف نداره كلى حال كردم دم خودم گرم كه خريدمش...

Bunino

Accidentally ended up with the 1980`s sport edition. Watered down. Unimpressed. I love Antaeus though... but I can see why the sport flanker was discontinued.

Gokhanburak53
Gokhanburak53

Im lucky that i have got the vintage version, i think new and vintage both are great fragrances but vintage smells smoother and more natural

Geordieboy
Geordieboy

Sprayed this on a card a good few years ago and was instantly put off by that really sharp pungent opening, i couldn't stand it!

After spending countless hours trying new scents more seriously over the last couple of years i thought i would give it another try... Glad i did!

Initially i sprayed it on the card again just to remind myself then took the plunge and sprayed some on my wrist, at first i was like 'oh my god what have i done' it was just to harsh, my friend who was with me took a sniff of my wrist and was like 'woah what the hell!'

Fast forward an hour or two and the offensive explosion of the initial spray has gone and i' m left with a fantastic patchouli oaky swirling dream of delight.

My friend and i were talking about what we tried and what we liked today, i said 'did you smell this 1 i tried or not' knowing fine well she wouldn't recognise it from before and her response was 'wow whats that, it smells sooooo good, so classy, so sexy'

I will defiantly be buying a bottle of this magic elixir next time i'm in town shopping. Go on try it, risk that opening because what you will end up with is out of this world!

benpaul12

I'm young and wear this. I get a tonne of compliments about it - so in my mind if you do it right you don't have to be an older man. This is an incredible fragrance, dress well, be confident and you can do anything!

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

5 from 5 - 100P - cherry leather – One of my very best favorites. A perfect one of the aromatic fragrances from the 80ies, I love its synthesis of cherry, fresh feeling without citrus but dark berries, round structure and smooth rubber-leather base. A top star in nowadays' perfume shop racks. Wear it at sunny summer mornings which are not too warm, and it will splash you with pleasure full day - it lasts pretty long. A marvelous optimum between a new ave of classic virility and 80ies gourmand and oriental direction.

JohnB2014
JohnB2014

fresh with a strong leather smell.
Very manly, original and of course very masculine.

celestip
celestip

Ho appena acquistato l'ennesima bottiglia di Anteus, e vi comunico che a mio modesto avviso,, Chanel ha ancora riformulato il prodotto, questa volta migliorandolo e portandolo agli antichi splendori.
Vi faccio presente che la mia prima bottiglia di Anteus, è stata acquistata nel lontano 1982, di conseguenza credo di poter esprimere un giudizio sereno.
Brava Chanel avanti così spero che non cambi più.

mamaliinjapan
mamaliinjapan

this is smell so vintage and remind me of some oil pastel , i like it

louisese
louisese

Classy, Historical,
the perfume with many layers

pronose

a genuine masterpiece and far from those new cheap formula!!!!! just unique by all means!

insectatribe01
insectatribe01

First time i smelled this i really didnt like it at all, just offensive and too complex for me at the time i suppose. After revisiting over a few months sampling it in the shops, somthing just kept drawing me in and eventually bought a 5ml tester and wow, this fragrance really is pure class. A deep and intriguing scent that just goes strait to my head!

class
class

I didn't like Antaeus. The first opening I detected spice, so I thought I might like it, but then it settled down to an "old man-like" fragrance. This sauce is not for me.

fuggerone

Although the scent has been toned down quite a bit, this is a scent I love in my free time, guess the vintage version was a sonic boom, this last version has to be overapplied for glimpses of the past glory, it would be hard today hang around with a 80's powerhouse full tilt blast!
the beewax and leather notes are incredible! all seasons hit for hard die type males!

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

Antaeus is dominant, uplifting and enduring. This is one 80's mega-masculine that has stood the test of time. Testimony to its timelessness is the fact that Antaeus has remained in Chanel's lineup for over 30 years.

Clearly there are legions of adoring fans out there like me. Despite the formulation changes, Antaeus has retained enough of its original DNA and charisma to still smell absolutely fantastic to this day.

At its heart, for me, is a radiant rose note that's carried on a cloud of leathery castoreum, labdanum and oakmoss. Phenomenal!

Nectar of the gods indeed. This stuff is Zeus juice!

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

I tested antaeus once on a store and got a very dark and mysterious vibe. Lush fragrance reminds me of "Frozen" by Madonna . Smell bit closer to kourous. Was so keen to own but its way too xpensive.

ezequiel91

I was so lucky. Get a Vintage splash Antaeus. It`s really incredible, and the difference with the new formula is HUGE. MY GOD, maybe the best male scent ever made. My God!!!!!!! The quality is awesome. No .more comments

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers,

I think the time has come to write my review of my signature night perfume , like all secret's that eventually rise to the surface and come out into the light ,I cant avoid it any longer..for the story must be told .

This fragrance is a sorcerers perfume !
it's sexy, sophisticated , dark and mysterious, like Julian Sands in the movie Warlock and with a erotic style that came out of Zalman Kings creations.

This perfume reminds me of a man who's enigmatic, provocative and refine, who enjoys engaging with people in earthly pleasures ,debate both casual and forbidden ones ...whatever you want .
Antaeus, in compare to the rest of the Chanel perfume male pantheon , He is the lavish bohemian who is unconventional from all the male Chanel's.
From the patriarch of Pour Monsieur who is the silver haired king of his world and gentlemen to men ,women and elegant father to his successful yuppy/preppy golden son's starting from the twins of Egoist's, Allure and Bleu , Antaeus still carries the Chanel gene of male sophistication and uniqueness ,by which makes Antaeus the bold dark debonair gentleman.

I'am forever changed when this dark beauty came to my life as a teen when it was gifted to me and my body still has a good chemistry marriage with it till this day, and will be my Night perfume that I will always love.

Antaeus doesn't smell common and it isn't for the common man ,therefore, you must have the right chemistry for this picky ,strong, exotic fragrance, but if your "the chosen one" then this becomes a hypnotically sexy weapon made to win , that will get you noticed and leaves a unforgettable impression.

Viva Antaeus and the house of Chanel !

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

I already enjoy most of fragrances from the House of Channel. I have CDB, CAPH, CAHE and now Antaeus. When Channel puts out a frag they really understand what a man or woman want in their fragrance. In my opinion Channel is phenomenal at having a real desirable appeal to their fragrance which makes you want to wear it. Yes it does make a huge difference on your body chemistry and how your body oils interact with the fragrance. We are all different and unique in a way that we detect the notes which you either like or dislike.
Now about Antaeus, for me this frag is out of this world...I adore the aroma this amazing frag has. As soon as I spray it on my skin I feel so good. The notes work together in harmony to create a high quality frag and nothing about this juice comes across as being generic.
In the first several hours I'm able to pick up the fresh aromatic blend from bergamot, lime and thyme with floral notes of rose and labdanum. After the fragrance settles it opens with a nice warm/sweet aroma which comes from myrhh and most definitely patchouli. Finally the base notes are an extension of labdanum and patchouli giving it a real powdery/warm vib giving it a sophisticated complex aroma.
Overall thoughts and opinion...
I agree 150% that the vintage is by far the best. The new version is similar to the vintage slightly softer. I was fortunate enough to find vintage and I won't trade it for the current one. The vintage is much bold and out shines the second version. If there's one thing that I will agree with is that the new version falls short of the vintage.
In a word...this fragrance is PHENOMENAL OR CLASSY. Rating is easy 10/10 or ★★★★★.

Marciu

I've always thought that there's beeswax in base notes too...

I like Antaeus, but I have hard times wearing it. I mean - it's 33 years on the market, surely've been reformulated and still is a powerhouse!

I love this herbal-smoky opening which lasts 5 hours on my skin and its flowery heart that lasts another 5 hours. What I dislike is this castoreum-wax base which is like a kind of sticky goo on me... I know that Antaeus is famous of it, but that's the only thing that I dislike.

Surely must've suffered through at least one reformulation, but it doesn't smell outdated at all. It's a classic, just like Kouros.

10 out of 10 from me. Bravo Monsieur Polge!

Hoxx
Hoxx

An animalic perfume with a strong stamp of past time. I don't know about the allmighty vintage one, but, to me, this one is still a very representative perfume - and that might be an understatement.

The opening is a phase that lasts shortly and is filled with citruses and aromatics. It feels old-school in a way, but not nearly as much as the later evolution. Heart is about flowers, lots of them, and patchouli, but already with traces of castoreum that will dominate in the base. Aside from a very well done castoreum note, the drydown is about oakmoss - or some kind of substitution for it due to IFRA - and cistus as well. That can show a lot of landmarks of a more traditional perfumery.

This fragrance is quite different from the others in today's designer market, but, after knowing some of the niche, it doesn't feel so pungent and animalic. Sure, castoreum is there and it's prominent, but in a gentle way. A man wearing Antaeus is polite and well-mannered, a gentleman with fine taste. It's not an impression I expected before trying this one, and I like it better because of that, honestly. Still, it can be challenging to wear because of the standards set nowadays.

What I like with this one are its longevity and projection, as both are plus, especially for a designer range(even if Chanel is not your typical designer). I also like its uniqueness, as it can give a man an aura of his own in these woodyambers/calone/fougere times.

The only thing I don't like with this one is it's in the same range with Egoiste, and it's totally overshadowed to me, but I'm pretty much in love with the other Chanel's great so it's not a knock on Antaeus. Still, this is a perfume with a lot of character and quality.

Daniel.Friedrich42
Daniel.Friedrich42

my first review was hasty so i removed it and this is my more refined take.

Disclaimer:
I haven't owned or tried the vintage, i don't plan on seeking it out(hassle and money) and i still believe the current Antaeus deserves a review on its own.

In short: this is a great fragrance with a lot of character, no matter what the vintage might have been.

The first wiff I get right from the start is clary sage, citruses and coriander. Could be a hint of myrrh there but rather faint.
In the heart i get a great mix of floral and herbal notes(just as the note-breakdown suggest) darkened by the more animalic and dirty base. Prominent rose and thyme.
The base has a dirty, green and leathery feel to it. I Don't get a lot of oakmoss(IFRA regulations obviously) but i definitely get labdanum,castoreum and patchouly in a very nice accord.
Throughout the full lifetime of the fragrance i get beeswax but i don't know what exactly this is coming from.

Lasts about 12 hours for me and projects about 5-6 feet. Still quite lasting and powerful.

Gets quite a lot of compliments from people even though it's so far from what is trendy today. Especially women seem to like it because it's not your typical modern male fragrance.
Bonus points for making it to my fiancees favorite list instantly ;)

Can be worn both with a suit or casual wear depending on occasion. It needs a certain degree of maturity to pull it off. I'd say 25 and up while putting on your fancy clothes not the oldest pair of jeans and sneakers.

Conclusion: If you can get past nostalgia, Antaeus still deserves a try.
It still is something unique and different in the modern market and even though it might not be the same as 30 years ago it's still a great fragrance.

cytherian

After strong recommendations to go for the vintage version, I researched what to look for and I managed to score a nearly new bottle in box with local pickup for a reasonable price. I absolutely LOVE IT. One of my top favorites.

So I'm at the Chanel store recently to sample some of the Les Exclusifs and notice they've got Antaeus EdT on the shelf. It's a sprayer now (the splash bottles aren't sold in the USA any longer). Well, I sprayed some on a blotter paper and sniffed it, expecting to be disappointed. And...

I really wasn't, at first. Yes, it's not as strong as the vintage splash, but darned near close enough. From what I found in the latest bottle I tested, Chanel didn't ruin Antaeus but lightened it up on the castoreum and it seems not as mossy as the original. So I managed to get a small sample to take with me and did a direct comparison to smell both one right after the other. And I have to confirm that the vintage is a bit stronger and fuller with unmistakable oakmoss and castoreum. At least that's how it impresses upon my nose. And then... what I realized is that it's really about the longevity. The new one doesn't have the same kind of staying power. So there is some sacrifice in the reformulation. Is Antaeus ruined? Well, it's still a very good fragrance, but yes... if I had my druthers, I'd always choose vintage if possible. But if not, I'd still get the reformulated version.

This is a great fragrance and is worthy of being a staple EdT in every man's collection. 9.6/10 for vintage, 8.9/10 for current.

Refxo
Refxo

My Test:
Chanel Antaeus 1993 VS Chanel Antaeus 2012.

CA 1993 is much more intense, smooth and complex.
is rich in naturals. Oak moss is present and clear. The castoreum is natural and the smell of the leather is made sweeter by cistus, rose and a heart of indolic jasmine, very natural as the absolute is.
Citrus fruits are real and the overall beauty of the perfume is crazy, for the good preservation of the dark bottle it's, if possible, improved.

CA 2012 is a scent much lighter, drier and more simplified.
reminiscent of the original scent, but lacks vitality and is probably irretrievably ruined, because the oak moss is gone, Chanel has taken him away from the ingredients and replaced with evernyl, the leather is synthetic, chemical, respecting the "animal rights". Rose and jasmine are synthetic. Citrus fruits have been replaced because photosensitizers.

To say that the two scents are the same thing, or very similar, you have to be drunk.

CA 1993 10/10
CA 2012 6/10

This review is about Antaeus of early 80's vintage.

I was in college when I first smelled it. Back then they used to put scented strips in the cologne ads in magazines until people complained. When I first smelled it in one of those...WOW!!! That was the epitome of masculine scents to me, it's what I wanted to smell like.

I bought alot of the stuff back then. Unfortunately I could never duplicate that smell on me. There always seemed to be an initial sharpness or twang. I ended up putting it away with college stuff for the past 25+ years but came across it recently. I'm glad I did.

It now has even more appeal to my more mature sensibilities. Not the stuff a young guy would wear going from club to club or bar hopping. This is more refined.

Its strong, & not timid. This stuff smells best after I've had it on for a couple hours & has had time to mellow. It can remain noticeable on my clothes for probably a week. I can pick up a shirt a few days later & continue to enjoy the very noticeable scent. I still have a 3.4oz atomizer & 6.8oz bottle of the eau de toilette from my 80's shopping spree. I wish I bought some gold ingots back then too.

Funny thing...I've never actually been sure of the pronunciation of the name "ANTAEUS".

Cuban Smoker
Cuban Smoker

It used to be a real masterpiece. Now it's a shadow of former fragrance. Watered down, no rose, synthetic wax. What I can say? Current formulation is not worth that money. Previous formulation - even not a vintage, but tll 2005 - was a way better. Rest in peace Antaeus...

bazil14
bazil14

smells like the 80s when i smell this i imagine pissed up yuppys with brick mobiles in suits with the sleaves rolled up sniffing magic powder of the toilet seat of a seedy nightclub while madonna and duran duran songs blast out over the clubs sound system ...but on the other hand i love this i took a card home today with this sprayed on and i love it even though its older than me and more suited to a mature gentleman there is somthing about this fragrance that draws you in yes it smells kind of cheap and dirty but then also smells clean and manly at the same time like kouros does so im goin to ad this to my list of future buys because this is a mans fragrance and i know im too young to pull this off but not too young to appreciate it 10/10

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Intense, complex and masculine, Antaeus is a half-giant of Greek mythology. Antaeus carries both immense an strength and a delicate nature, a duality which balances the scent, preventing it from being a true brute-force men's powerhouse scent.

Opening is a very brash, typical 80s scent with lots of dry moss, patchouli, herbs and citrus which jump out at you immediately. In this brief initial phase I was very much reminded of Paco Rabanne (if only for a moment), an intense, green masculine accord typical of this vintage. Don't let it scare you away. Thankfully this phase ends quickly as the scent settles down and transforms, where things start to become very interesting.

A slightly spicy, peppery accord in the mid phase, thyme, basil, and an incense (myrrh?) that seems quite similar to cinnamon. The patchouli and moss are still there, lending a woody, wet quality to the spices and incense. There is so much going on with this fragrance, so much complexity, it could easily be a huge mess and yet it is nothing short of intriguing. There is a beeswax accord here I am certain, that pervades the fragrance throughout its life, but it is not listed in the notes. The masculine accords fade away a bit, giving room to the stunning floral accords in the heart. An intoxicating beauty at this phase, yet it does not detract at all from the masculinity of the scent. There is absolutely no sweetness, just straight up 100% man.

Ah, the final phase. The base. Some reviewers seem to despise the castoreum accord, yet I hardly noticed it. Castoreum isn't so much of a major player in the notes, it's just quietly working in the background, giving a dirty, animalic character to the fragrance which only enhances its masculinity and complex structure. This phase is rich and deep, labdanum lends an amber quality to the base, animalic and seductive, a smooth, even-tempered patchouli and oakmoss in the background, with a hint of woods and spice, balanced by the exquisite florals. When this dries down it has a depth and character that is largely untouched by anything else in my collection. Quality Chanel juice, stunning projection and longevity. Easily a Top 10 fragrance. Antaeus favors the complex man, one who is many things at once, one who is mysterious. Best worn with something dark and a crooked smile.

Oslo-fjord

Antaeus is the ultimate male-perfume, and one of the few 80-ies powerhouse fragrances that has passed the test of time. Antaeus is the opposite of pretty, and miles away from most of the stuff we find on the shelf today. Antaeus is mostly for the crowd that prefer a more challenging fragrance, with style and character. It has a big personality.
I think the sillage talk is a bit overhyped, because I don't get that. At least on my skin. With Antaeus, I get just normal average sillage. Staying power is very good though. Antaeus is a true legend from CHANEL, and a must have in a man's fragrance collection. One of my all time favourits!

PilPilx
PilPilx

I know why some users say that the current scent is like the vintage one ... Some users believe that the vintage is.... the scent of 2, 5 or 10 years ago.
No, the real Antaeus is the previous 1994-1995. Antaeus current formula is only the faintest shadow of what it was originally! You have to try the original to make a true comparison.

mixcony
mixcony

The vintage formula in my right hand, the current formula in my left hand, i tell you this: the right one is in the right hand, if you try an Antaeus first formula (1981-1994) and then a current Antaeus... YOU CRY (if you have a good nose and a clean soul).
So go for the vintage one...

fayegiblin
fayegiblin

I've bought Antaeus and Egoiste for my son and husband - both have good write ups but I'm not sure which one is most suited to which... Seems Antaeus is better for the young maybe? Looking forward to them getting it and seeing what they/I think of it. Sounds fab, here's hoping they agree.

Critic
Critic

A civilized barbarian. Antaeus is brash, masculine and loud. However, it also screams quality and refinement. This is an 80s powerhouse done right. It's smooth and well constructed.

Make no mistake - this is still animalic with an opening not too dissimilar to urine. The dry down is simply lush. Warm, radiant, spicy with an animalic twist.

It's a classic cool weather old school masculine that doesn't shout 'Grandpa'.

Obanonatto
Obanonatto

Only for the Vintage formula (+/- until the 1995):
I think it's one of the most mysterious Chanel fragrances, rich and impossible to imitate in today's times. I kneel in front of its divine beauty.

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

I tested this one and it smells like ink and wet dog...
i wouldn't wear this fragrance for free let alone spend big bucks on it.

Well it takes a big man to admit he was wrong...and I'm a big man so yeah...I was wrong.
Don't know if my original review has disappeared because it got thumbs downed so hard or I used foul abusive language because I was so appalled by the animistic stink of this fragrance.
Anyway...My mind has changed somewhat having tried this again a couple of times and really gained a new found respect for Chanel fragrances and things which are not necessarily my cup of tea. The complexity from an objective point of view is great and this fragrance really has got depth and I can totally see why people hail it as a classic.
It's raw, masculine and almost pheromone like (It attracts the beaver anyway;)
I can appreciate the top notes now which are fleeting but nice and some of the dank quality of the oakmoss.
Also, Labdanum is another ingredient I have a love/hate relationship with, so all in all this fragrance challenges me, that's before we even get to the castoreum!
I still don't like it underlying but I've managed to take the positives from it...
I don't think I could ever wear it but I will remove it from my hate list as it creates intrigue every time I smell it.

Broseph
Broseph

Good, very good but is expensive. Friend tells me it smells good from beaver balls. I do not believe but he very sure, I find it up here and has beaver! I will go and find beaver then, why do all pay for expensive perfume when beaver balls for free?

Robert G. Rodríguez
Robert G. Rodríguez

Antaeus is just beautiful man fragance, if you allow yourself to try a bite of this amazing ambar,woody tabacco and leather scent combined in the most pure blossom of exquisite fruit blended with rose's flowers and spices such as myrrh,patchouli, castoreum, labdanum, and oak moss. An icon from Chanel´s house.

dromidreza
dromidreza

یه شاهکار از شنل.البته من خیلی با محصولات شنل ارتباط برقرار نمیکنم ولی این رو دوست دارم.سنگین و تلخ با ردپایی از گذشته ها.مناسب 35 به بالا.
نمونه اولیه اون گیر نمیاد ولی من از دوستمون جناب آقای قشقایی که در اهواز هستن و در سایت پرشین تولز فعالیت میکنن خریداری کردم.دستشون درد نکنه

baltinore
baltinore

I have 50ml vintage from 1997 and 100ml from 2010 and honestly i can only detect some difference in the top notes - the vintage is smoother and the newer is harsher, but in the drydown they are identical. regarding sillage and longevity i also can't detect any difference.

lovetribe

amazing sillage and longevity.pure class.

Krupp
Krupp

Antaeus was my first perfume. I got it as a 15-16 year old in the aftershave version. It was in the mid-80s, and it was well-suited to his time with shoulder pads and thick black mascara. I dropped it in the 90s because I thought that the time had past...

A few years ago I bought the EDT edition, and it was like having invested in a time machine! Lovely!

Now I use it most with dark clothing. Black and Antaeus suit each other in a very special way. The perfume is mega-potent, 2 to 3 spritz on the body gives scent to all fellow passengers on the subway! And it stays from early morning to bedtime, both scent and intensity gets better and better during the day.

The perfume is the absolute upper class among fragrances. I do not know yet which surpasses in strength and vitality.

ChelseaJack
ChelseaJack

Well, one of my all time favourites. I have used this since the early 1980's and I still like it a lot. It's haevy masculine scent that lasts quite long. I got married this year and this is the one I chose to wear on my wedding day.

ed
ed

Like it, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for office wear. More a evening out.

Although initially very strong, the fragrance doesn't last as long as I expected.

CesareBorgia
CesareBorgia

I am sure that, based upon what I've read here, that it has been reformulated more than once. I purchased my bottle earlier this year and am unfamiliar with the original. I think the current iteration is great, a very beautiful fragrance that, in my view, is still very masculine. I would add that this perfume disappears to the wearer after a couple of hours, but it's still producing it's magic to others; at least, that has been my experience. I have received positive comments from others 6-8 hours after application. I wouldn't worry about it being reformulated.

MacNerd1965
MacNerd1965

I just ran out of mine and I'm considering buying a new one tomorrow, but has the formula been changed and when?

benpaul12

I had wanted this cologne for a long time, on sampling, I loved how the animalic touch was not too overt that it smelt bordering on pungent (hmm Kouros?). It was quite appropriate that my girlfriend surprised me when my perfume-importing business reached 1000 orders with the half-giant Antaeus.

This is an exquisite cologne, a perfect concoction of classic notes that blend so well to tell the story of its namesake.

The opening is quite feminine, sharp touches of bergamot, citrus and jasmine dominate.

The opening fades quickly to a darker, sweeter and woodier tack. The castoreum, myrrh, bergamot and citrus are beginning to mingle well. This is where Antaeus reminds me of Issey Miyake Intense where similar notes of citrus, benzoin and ambergris blend with the florals.

To me, this creates a strong woody incense type funk that is quite sweet, but at this point, more masculine.

It then slowly starts to mellow, dominating with the herbs, florals and some tangs of castoreum. This is my favourite part, a deep strong heart that is mysterious and full of life.

At times sweet and feminine, but just like Antaeus the need to be grounded provides powerful notes which only belong on the strongest of men.

GoodVibrations

Kouros Lite. Still formidable and hypnotic. But O! the loss of the masculine and precious beeswax and the powerful, bombastic, dense, immeasurable green depths through reformulation. I turn my head and bite a knuckle at this. I pouted for several long moments. Like Donovan's tale of a long-lost civilization, we have only the lore of this great giant that once groped the 80s. Hail Antaeus!

Goktug
Goktug

one day I will get it but now for now I'm around 30's :) maybe 10 years later.

benzippo
benzippo

Another sad victim in the name of re-formulation.

Watered down version as usual...shame on you Chanel!!!

DaZeD
DaZeD

Does it smell dated?well... Kinda.
It's from the 80's and you can tell.

The opening is that of a very green cyphre, a bit in the trend of Rive Gauche, and during the dry down most of that will remain.
It has a very musky undertone which i guess is one of the reasons you can tell it's not a modern scent.

When it's fully dried down it get's a little sweeter, just a little, the higher the teprature get's, the more you can detect the rose like sweetness.

Very masculine though, very sophisticated, not as strong as i thought it would be (new bottle) and not as dirty as i'd thought (hoped) either, surely not in the Kouros range.

It's not a "safe scent", you'll need to feel well dressed and confident when you wear it, or you'll probably send the wrong message, but when you do most people won't have any problems with it as far as i know.

Jaccuse
Jaccuse

What more can I say that hasn't been said by others....Its Orgasmic.....Dark, woody heavy masculine utterly disarming.

SDVHC
SDVHC

Really a good perfume! a little masterpiece. Is a perfume at half way between a man fragrance and a woman fragrance.

Very dark and elegant, but not for everyone!

sussex2
sussex2

After spraying I immediately get a blast of coriander and myrhh. There is something animalic but subdued.

Quickly becomes smoky and woody. I can smell the rose. There is a nice balance between the subtle castoreum and floral notes.

Not as powerful as I would have expected.

An hour after applying it has developed nicely, become more aromatic and gained in presence. Very nice.

Someone mentioned it reminds them of Kouros; I agree. It has the same floral-stripped-of-sweetness quality. Antaeus isn't quite as loud as Kouros but has an added dimesion. The smoky wood gives it that extra Chanel something.

markino
markino

Even this classic once loved fragrance has been reformulated badly and cheaply!!!! What for???? Shame on Chanel. Boooooooo

Simply the best.

lucaschiang8
lucaschiang8

Castoreum....=.=

oikoymenh
oikoymenh

My winter fancy stuff. Strong enough to demolish the buildings and to bend the streets. Attracting rather advanced women, not shallow bunnies really. The bottle design is simple and elegant, the color is black, but translucent by red. Which perfectly determines your wardrobe for wearing this masterpiece. Long live Jaques Polge!

@anguslairdmcangus

I have the old Antaeus in my car. I can confirm that longevity is not brilliant. Sillage is, but only the first 30'-60'.
Among the Chanel masculines for longevity and sillage "Platinum Egoiste" and then "Egoiste" classic are the ones.

grdowntown2020

I remember when Chanel Antaeus was released. It was bold and powerful. Even in today's version, it still is. It's really hard to wear in public around anyone who has even the slightest sensitivity to cologne. I gave my new bottle to a friend, who likes scents long and loud. There's one thing for certain: you can't wear it even in the smallest amounts without it permeating a room. And for me, wearing it alone at night would trigger headaches.

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * *

Antaeus opens with a powerful blast of spicy coriander, citrus, and sage straight out of the 1980's. If there is any criticism of Antaeus, it is in these opening moments. For today's muted "EMO" types, this will feel overbearing. They may not give Antaeus a chance to work it's magic, which happens in the heart notes and drydown.

After a few minutes, the coriander and citrus notes recede and are replaced by a glorious rose, jasmine, myrrh, dirty patchouli ensemble. The castoreum shows up too, as just a hint of animalic sensuality. Not overpowerering, just perfect.

In the drydown, the patchouli continues to rise and sweeten and it is joined by my favorite note of all--labdanum. This is not the Amouage labdanum with its occasional hircine bitterness that one can almost taste on the back of one's tongue. No, this is a more Frenchified labdanum, a contemporary delicacy rather than a throwback to the ancient world.

Here is the problem with Antaeus, and it is one that I never expected: longevity. Despite all of the references to the 24 hour staying power of this fragrance, I have found it to be a 4-5 scent at best. After that, it hovers millimeters above my skin. Perhaps the old formulation was different, but if you are expecting Amouage- or Montale-like longevity out of modern Antaeus, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

Such a shame.

Sillage: 3/5

jude1321

The Babe Ruth of male scents if you ask me. This juice lasts all day, and is a very masculine floral that has no equal. I absolutely love this stuff and its scent is so unique. U can literally smell this stuff the next day. legendary stuff that can be bought on Chanel's site for a very good price. Discount Chanels do not exist. U have to try this stuff. A blind buy if you are in to sexy, masculine, yet different colognes that will literally have people asking "what the heck is that guy wearing." Likely my all time favorite and I have had over 200 bottles.

madgefan
madgefan

Sexy, masculine scent. Pungent and bold. Smells like a tamer Kouros.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

Antaeus blew me away.
I was looking for a scent for my boyfriend (I'm a woman of 21) and, having read a lot of good reviews here about it I sprayed some on my hand.
Chanels usually...let's just say that Chanels don't seem to work to brilliantly on my skin. The feminine ones, that is (though I'm starting to like N°19 quite a lot). But Antaeus? Antaeus just melted with my skin.
The first few minutes were strange, a bit of a mess. But then everything fell into place. I noticed a salty note, quite animalic, but also a little cold. There's something bitter as well. And together the salty and bitter notes resemble something licorice like. It doesn't smell like licorice, not by far, but the interplay of notes evokes the same feeling in my mouth that the smell of licorice does.
It also reminds me of rocks. There's a coldness. And yet, there are also some very warm spices. I don't see many spices listed here, and my nose is not that of an expert, but I'm just telling what I feel and smell.
There are some flowers to, and the flowers really come forward on my skin. The bitter myrrh and the juicy basil each have a beautiful part to play.
In the dry down the fragrance becomes deeper, darker and sweeter. The labdanum comes forward and brings a deep richness to the blend.

Antaeus is woody, deep, dark and sexy. But so very sofisticated.
Yes, it's a masculine scent. It ooses male confidence.
And I'm totally rocking it.

nero77
nero77

Very Masculine scent...

This is probably the best Chanel masculine, and one of the best masculines ever made. It's warm, woody, deep, rich, dark, smokey, animalic and sensual all at the same time!

Blends really well with the skin to give off an incredible manly, musky, testostorone-filled vibe. I wouldn't call it dirty. It's incredibly well refined and very classy. A dangerous fragrance. This may be the fragrance for the big, strong, man with the muscles... but he's wearing a tux.

Liberty Freak 1776
Liberty Freak 1776

Today I am wearing Antaeus that was given to me in 1987 by a friend from Europe. I always had the mixed emotions about this scent that I still feel today, but I find myself enjoying this completely unique and original cologne for men. Smokey and dry yet maintaining heady high notes that never seem to dissipate in a single day. These high notes yield a classy, ladies-perfume feel that sets this offering apart from the typical. Unique, bold and demanding attention, Antaeus will be noticed!

Update: I sought out a sample of the current offering while at Nordstrom today, and what a surprise! My old bottle smells exactly as I remember it always smelling, however, the new bottle I sprayed was astoundingly different. Less floral in the initial spray and with much more noticeable animalic dirtiness. Definitely more masculine, now. I will spray them side by side tomorrow for a real comparison. Interesting!

Fahl
Fahl

It is a strong male scent. The first 10-20 minutes are very intense, caused by castoreum. In the dry down , very intense dry floral in my skin, the castoreum dissapears in 10-20 minutes.
Some citrus notes appears in the dry down.
There is no sweetness in this fragrance, that's why it is so masculine.
I liked.
It works with very few women, by my research. Normally, older or perfume lovers. Young women tends to prefer sweet scents (That's why 1 million is a top seller). Specially vanilla in men.
I think this a scent only for man with personality, there are low chances that you please someone but yourself using this perfume, specially young women.
So , use it if you like it and be a free man.

grdowntown2020

This cologne is intoxicating, bold and manly. Only the confident can and should wear it. Even then less is more. DO NOT OVER APPLY. It's a very strong scent. Treat it with respect or you will only be remembered as the guy who wore a whole bottle of cologne and stunk up the office. Not office friendly, but in the right company is screams SEX!

kirilchalakov
kirilchalakov

It is still a very classy ,rich, sensual fragrance,though it seems lighter than before.

vertoxrealms222
vertoxrealms222

Chanel Antaeus. Remarkable,exquisite, intoxicating, sensual.
Its all these things and many more, but the one thing that that makes it 150% more desirable and transfixed is that is pure sui generis.
I could have used unique, or nonpareil, but sui generis really helps with the balance of this perfumes mystery. And I think this doesnt just go for antaeus, but for the whole house of chanel, they are all one of their kind, so refined and solitary. Chanel is a world of its own. Take Egoiste for an example. Classic, made in the 19?? God knows, yet still peerless. Not to mention Chanel No5, I am a young male but I still love Chanel No5 knowing its a female scent and I think only a confident male can pull it off, whether he is 18, or 70

jtd
jtd

Chanel Antaeus was the first perfume of my own. I don’t remember who gave it to me, but I didn’t choose it myself. Looking back, my touchstones in perfume were Patou Joy, Lanvin Arpege, Dior Eau Sauvage and Paco Rabanne pour Homme. The first two my mother had, and introduced me to classical perfumery. I would sniff them out of the bottle and relish them. I was, maybe, 8 years old. 9? I knew nothing about perfume, but somehow they got me thinking. They got me to see beyond the expected and the routine in the same way that Frank Zappa’s music eventually broadened my teenage sense of what rock could be. The Dior and the Paco Rabanne were ambient scents. Men wore them in the 1960s-1970s of my youth and I remember smelling them. Eau Sauvage seemed like a lemon drop to me. It was tart but brisk like snow water. Paco Rabanne was ubiquitous and the scent of it today still brings back the 70s

I was fortunate to have such a superior group of fragrances to learn from. Pre-internet, pre-blog I had a limited set of guides: desire, inquisitiveness, well-made perfumes. On reflection, these are still my guides.

My start with perfume was solitary and reflective. Perfume taught me to appreciate states of beauty and contemplation. I lacked a vocabulary and a perfume guru, and, even at a young age, I wasn’t very narrative-driven. Perfume has never been about story per se. Perfume was my subject. The rest of my life, education and experience taught me how to know my subject. I didn’t hide my fascination with perfume, but I didn’t share it either. I guess it’s no surprise that I write anonymously. But with Antaeus, I went public.

I loved Antaeus. It was unlike anything I knew. Also, I’d never smelled it on anyone else, so it suited my solo perfume trip. It was visceral, and demanding and each time I put it on, it stopped me in my tracks. I first wore it in snowy weather, and it highlighted the cold woods of New England winter. Arpege and Joy were nothing like Antaeus, but they had prepared me. Unlike smelling Eau Sauvage in passing or lingering over a bottle of Joy, wearing Antaeus was a deliberate and public act. (I wasn’t modest in my dosing.) If the first period of my perfume fascination was reflective, act 2 was expansive.

[Sidebar: I think my questioning of marketing started early as well, with Antaeus as my primer. I already knew the myth of Herakles and Antaeus before Chanel. I thought the notion of associating a perfume with a character who symbolized cheating and the mundane and was odd until I realized that marketing wanted nothing more than a superficial image (hottie in a toga) and a link to the lofty/cultural (pretension). My thoughts on marketing, like marketing itself, may have evolved, but they haven’t really changed.]

The 80s had so much to offer: power fragrances and volume, self-absorption without introspection . I took Antaeus to college where I met and fell for Kouros and Coco. I know, very au courant, very bisexual chic. But thank god I kept my classical roots and embraced old-lady perfumes, in this case, Chanel 5 and Worth Je Reviens.

The end the formative years.

from scenthurdle

browne54
browne54

THIS IS WHAT IS MISSING IN WHAT IS PASSED OFF TODAY AS MEN'S COLOGNE. I whiffed it today for the first time after reading countless reviews. I loved it sooo much I coughed up $80/100ml bottle right on the spot. Granted I did not have the pleasure to sample the vintage but frankly that is fine. I am 24 years old, and with all the crap/boring/boarder-line feminine junk pushed onto the market today, this is just what the doctor ordered. It is so unmistakably masculine. Its overt masculinity reminds me of Polo, Fahrenheit, and YSL Kouros, so delightful. I am sure the vintage was much better before the regulations on oakmoss and costoreum. This is how a man is suppose to smell and perhaps those who hate it realize it is because they dont have the personality to go with it. I can only hope that these classics remain on the market and my generation awakes from this coma, hang up their bras, pull down their pantyhose, and remember what a man is suppose to smell like. Until then I am happy to demonstrate for you.

kyb15
kyb15

I get terrible longevity and projection with my 2010 version. I mean TERRIBLE. :(

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

This is quite an unusual fragrance, to be honest. It doesn't surprise me in the least, but I think it has to do with the reformulation of the fragrance.

The top is a creamy narcosis of a belladonna-like flower. It has a smidgen of incense to it along with a nice, velvety sandalwood. Some spices lay around in the dark to give the feeling of rubbing your cheek against the fur of a wolf at midnight.

As the floral notes deepen, the fragrance becomes a more feminine powder; very generic. The spices are just enough to keep my interest because this masculine floral is not entirely original to me.

The base smells like beery rum; full of booze and a slap of caramel. Necrotic tonka mixes with anorexic vanilla to create a modern attempt at Burberry Brit. And it definitely isn't successful. A light mystery of aldehydes again keeps my interest, for which, otherwise, I'd have forgotten about it to which the lasting power contributes one hell lot.

Why do I think Antaeus has potential to do better? You know the saying; when your gut says it, it's right. And my gut does say it, that this is all the fault of the reformulation which is a pretty lame apology, in my opinion, to the act of discontinuing the original, bizarre fragrance.

degauss
degauss

I was just wandering around my usual perfume store idly when this caught my eye, and I remembered that I have been intending to see what it's like for a while now, so I did. And boy, did I see. For a person who finds the remarkable classics barely tolerable, the popular scents unbearable, and most of everything lacking in character, sophistication and artistry, to find something I adore and more importantly accept so immediately is truly delightful. Will go back to test on skin as soon as possible, but I feel that I can perhaps begin singing praises to the subtlety, the smokiness, the well-blended overall quality in which nothing readily jumps at you nor jars you, right now. Maybe I'm being a bit rash, but, unexpectedly, I bonded with Antaeus right then and there.

I do think I'm actually dedicated this time to get my hands on the original version.

benpaul12

Woahahoa! First smell of this today and it blew me away. Masculine like Kouros without the pornography/chauvinist tang.

Certain parts of it remind me of Issey Miyake Intense, but this is a whole other ball game, far more advanced and for a real man. Perfect for a complete male who has a lovely heart.

I don't think I could pull this off just yet (I am only 23) but I will probably get this for my dad's birthday as he fits the bill perfectly.

Stunningly masculine.

SeverinoDuJour
SeverinoDuJour

Well the ancient Greek Demigod had his balls cut off and thrown away by the house of Chanel. Anyone who used to use the original formulation would understand what I'm saying about the "new" Antaues. The original would knock your socks off, if not knock you down. A beautiful, rich, dark, deep scent, but also cool and sweet. And you HAD to use it sparingly or people would run screaming. I just tried the "new" Antaeus, and had a huge disappointing moment. As others have said, I believe, this is definitely Antaeus "lite." It's pretty now, instead of gorgeous intense, and has a slight resemblance to the original.
Top notes very animalistic but bergamot (and I also got Cinnamin, but that's not listed) saves it from being "road kill." That goes away very fast and the jasmine, rose and herbs come spilling out. However, this version dries down so quickly, it was literally stunning to think that this should now be thought of as Antaeus. Equally stunning to me is how much is being charged for this toilet water. I sprayed it about an hour ago, and it's just clining to my skin now.

Bottom line, this is not the original Antaeus, and anyone who remembers the original will be crestfallen by this poser. Chanel, this is shameful. Mon Dieu!

Marciu

@cuncon888 checkcosmetic.net :) Here you are.

cuncon888
cuncon888

I dont know if my Antaeus is fake. I bought it in the only one Chanel Perfume Retail in my city. But when i use it, the smell and longevity is great, but the sillage is so bad, around 3h and then it gets very close to the skin. OMG. Anyone knows how to check the code on Chanel website?

oscar alvarado
oscar alvarado

totalmente encantador pero al principio cargante pero es una obra maestra que lastima que los otros de esa marca para hombre no tienen el mismo felling, es la mejor de todas en hombres,aditiva totalmente, comparable con un perfume de nicho, totalmente.

ezequiel91

Heavy, heavy, heavy velvet. Tender, but in a huge sense. It's so creamy that you can use it to lubricate anything. Amazing, the only contra is a note very floral to my nostrils. A must, no doubt.

themattsky
themattsky

This is absolutely awful. I cannot understand why people love it! I believe that if this wasn't Chanel but some other brand everyone would hate it

yusuf.bardien
yusuf.bardien

i can honestly say that the recent formulation of Antaeus does not measure up to the vintage. What was once a gem, has now become some powdery concoction that, quite frankly, doesn´t have half the balls as the original formulation.What a dissapointment. Agree with a previous review that mentioned that the Castoreum needs to be turned WAY up to be considered a real powerhouse.what a pity....

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

I love this classic cologne by Chanel. It reminds me of the summer of 1984 when I stayed in the beach with my Uncle, Aunt and 2 cousins. My oldest cousin had a bottle of Antaeus hich he wore ALL the time. I loved the smell of it and before they went back to NY he bought me a bottle as a gift. I have been using it since then. Everytime I wear it, it reminds me of that beach vacation with my cousin.

quackadoodle
quackadoodle

I tried this on my own skin, and I absolutely loved it. It smells like a man. A very masculine, mature, sexy man. I would definitely wear it myself, but I would rather be in the arms of a man who is wearing this. Fantastic.

pronose

a true gem! just unique and perfect!

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Timeless masterpiece by the house of Chanel.. Have been wearing since the early nineties and strictly to formal events with either suit or tux .. Perfect for weddings, or black tie affairs.. Smells like the essence of refined masculine power..

michael.j
michael.j

Antaeus is not subtle. But sometimes that's okay, as in the case of Antaeus. It's a mammoth fragrance. Gargantuan. Powerful. Stately. Regal. Profound. Velvety. Lush. Rich. Exotic. Memorable. Sultry. Smoldering. It's a scent of an undeniable hauteur. Imagine walking out of Le Crillon, tipsy from the slow burn of aged calvados, trying to catch a cab at Place de la Concorde as drizzle and fog fill the night air, and the lights of Paris glitter through haze. The scent wafting up from your neck is the heady, boozy, intoxicating richness of Antaeus. If deep burgundy velvet had an intrinsic odor, it would be this.

Kris96816
Kris96816

I am now 56 and have been wearing it since I was 22. It's a true masculine classic. Every time I wear it, different top notes prevail. Sometimes it's the leather sometimes it's the rose. Yes it has changed but it still is a scent I can count on when I want compliments. At my last job the women I worked with used to tell me "I want to lick that off you." Unfortunately it didn't work that well with the guys, but it did work with the right guy!! I am a lover of the 80's powerhouse scents and Antaeus and Egoist are at the top of my list!!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

My signature scent... the first time I sniffed it I loved that mysterious dark smoky/musky and slightly animalic scent. It makes me think of burnt cork. It suits me very well and I'm comfortable wearing it. When I hug my wife she takes a deep breath and assures me that it smells very good.

I discovered it in 1999. Like Cartier Santos (my other main fragrance), it, too, has been reformulated. I am certain of this. (For one thing, the box no longer lists oakmoss as an ingredient.)

Vintage juice: Powerful, deep, dark, somewhat animalic, smoky and absolutely masculine. Use too much of it you'll be smelled a city block away.

Reformulated juice: Very nearly the same thing but much reduced in strength, according to current trends. Antaeus Lite. This morning I did about six sprays on myself but the scent is confined to close to the skin; I can only smell it when I move my shirt front like a bellows. That much of the old stuff would be discotheque-grade killer.

Why was it reformulated? Did Chanel do it to make Antaeus less of a dated Eighties scent?

I called Chanel Customer Care and they told me that there has been no refomulation of it since it was introduced in 1981. I just don't believe them, and it's apparent from the comments here that others are sure that a reformulation has taken place as well. I asked them about oakmoss restrictions, and the woman on the line had no information about that other than to maintain that it's the same 1981 stuff.

Update: I bought a bottle today. How I missed it!

--------

I found a bottle of vintage (I'm guessing mid to late 1980's) Antaeus. Anyone who doesn't think this has been drastically refomulated just needs to get a whiff of the old stuff. Like night and day.

pdschrader
pdschrader

Simply beautiful.....

limited Edition

I may be wrong but the "original" formulation used real Castoreum and the current product uses a synthetic version..

Ron22
Ron22

There seems to be a lot of opposing opinions and confusion about the current Antaeus.

I am pretty sure Chanel has given all the reasons for this confusion and even outrage… I think they have released not a new reformulation but a different version of Antaues which can be very well described as Light or Sport since it is missing key middle and base notes and has a top that lasts longer. They still keep and sell the older reformulation which is deeper, solid and darker under the same name. I find this approach to be almost unethical (not the release of the reformulation itself, but selling two clearly different scents under the same name). Chanel had released an Antaues Sport back in the mid ‘80s but was soon discontinued. Antaues DNA makes this scent unfit for any light or sport variations in my opinion. I am sure if they would release an Eau de Parfum version, even deeper and stronger, it would sell great.

Maybe Fragrantica should add a new product under Chanel line because the new one I have is not a reformulation but a true flanker of both the vintage and the reformulated version(s). (Like in the case of DHI and DDHI).

Anyway, not to be unjust to this disguised “flanker”, this lighter version lasts well and gets me compliments even after 7 hours (after 6-8 heavy sprays – you cannot overdose with this one…). It is also very prone to olfactory fatigue which adds to the disappointment. The magic is absent and the disappointment I have with it cannot be compensated by other people compliments.

An advice for other reviewers – be aware that Antaues is sold not only in a reformulated version but in a different version altogether. It’s nothing wrong if you like the lighter one more, but it is a different thing, and quite disappointing for those of us that loved the earlier reformulation.

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

This is absolutely amazing. I have no idea what the pre-formulated version smells like, but if how can it be better then this, pure magic!! I'm generally a lover of Guerlain's fragrance, but Antaeus and P.M are Chanel's best in my opinion ahead of the overrated Bleu and Allure. Guess i'm quite new to fragrance reviews, but I had no idea on Earth what Castoreum is, and after googling it I am stunned at how any reviewer here can review it (COME ON)!!!! My nose definitely gets patchouli and Rose. I find it a totally masculine smell, lasts very well, it's very strong but it doesn't slap you in the face the way that Kouros and the dreaded Opium for men do.

bp
bp

The dark side of the moon.
Virility effervescent.
Absolute masculinity.
Domineering personality.
As a ride through life.
Wonderful.

Halalay

True GARBAGE, compared to the original 1980ties formulation, a shameless ripoff by Chanel. One BIG FAT "F" grade: 1 out of 10 (on a scale where 4 means plain fail, 1 means the nadir: one cannnot fall lower than this).

ckman2011

وعنوان للرجولة
جربه لن تندم

roritall
roritall

The perfect scent for men!

limited Edition

As the owner and avid collector of mens fragrances , its in my (humble) opinion that Chanel are the powerhouse of fragrance.

I really enjoy testing longevity by sampling a cologne on my skin before retiring of an evening.Chanel Egoiste platinum and Antaeus have been sure fire winners in the sillage department.They are the fragrances which really "move" and evolve on your skin.all else either smell synthetic or mildly childish.

aucffan1
aucffan1

I just blind bought it..

I just sparyed it.. I am smelling, I am smelling, I am smelling......

I like it..

Oldfuture
Oldfuture

Addictive smell..
You get Longevity..
you get Sillage....what else do you want :)

A true Treasure

And tears in my eyes.
PERFETTO.

Zenith
Zenith

Old school masculine powerhouse in the same vein as Kouros, Aramis, Polo etc. in that it is completely 100% masculine. I am most reminded of Kouros because of the animalic notes, but it is so much more wearable than that dusty garbage. Think of those two are your two old uncles, both very similar in style and character, one just shaves himself and showers daily. The opening notes are indeed quite harsh and I was initially put off but ended up as a dark smokey fragrance with a lot of power and longevity.

However, as much as I like this, I would never never buy it. Maybe give it 30 years time

yidansheng
yidansheng

exremely strong, diffusive and consistent, just like any other chanel fragrance. I remember the first time I smelt it, and I was like what the hell is going on!... my impression was only one word, animalic! But now after several months, I can feel more lovely warm balmy and floral notes from it, and also the woody (especially the patchouli) makes me feel so safe. I'd love to let my man try this on. It also resonates with perfumes in its age, classic chypre.

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

What can I say?
It is a dominator but not necessarily a winner. Personally I do like this heavy smell for the right occasion. It is very atmospheric and ambient but at the same time intruding and for some people around it may get annoying. It is not polite or gentle.
If you want to be considered the ruthless male wear this. Some girls like to be had. But on the other hand some don´t.
But do wear it if you feel like the smell does for a dark (k)night.
Jesus christ would never have worn this if I may say so...

LanceDior

Interesting. No doubt a very beautiful and complex fragrance that seduces its wearer with an hypnotic, elegant, animalic masculinity. Yes, this is a fragrance built on fundamental contrasts; animalic yet floral, elegant yet dirty, mature yet a 17 year old like me can wear it and pull just as many compliments as when I wear my signature A*men. This bad boy, however, is the lover I save for disparate occasions; a school formal, a job interview or even I date with intent ;) absolutely remarkable 10/10

chrisaxp
chrisaxp

This is an incredibly complex and ever changing scent. Wearing it for the first time is like the first time with a new lover. There is so much to explore it is overwhelming.

The initial scent comes off musky and spicy. Warning it is very strong and I can see where it could be overpowering. The musky animal scent gets stronger in the dry down and then is a nearly hidden mossy smell. I can also smell the sandalwood.

I think this scent is incredibly masculine in an old school way. I am 44 and I think that I would not have been able to pull this off even 5 years ago.

JohnMc

Powerful, sophisticated masculinity in a bottle.

If one could imagine movie characters such as Rambo and the guy from the Deathwish films wearing fragrances such as say Kouros and Ralph Polo, then Antaeus would be worn by the likes of Bond. Powerful, intelligent, but with the rough edges smoothed off - refinement. A staple in my fragrance canon. Enjoy with fine tailoring, good food and beautiful people (it's spiritual cousin in my humble opinion is Santos de Cartier).

scenturian

Counterpart of Coco is Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree.

arzacu
arzacu

Dark and Evil...
great for winter or special time... I love it, good quality, lasts forever ♥

The counterpart of "Coco"...

AMAZING!

rsthlm
rsthlm

Classic and with style.. for the man who knows the right taste. This is a very strong scent... It smells better and better after couple of hours

jude1321

Antaeus is a legendary cologne for men. A masculine floral that all perfume lovers must give a shot. Probably my favorite of all time, although I could see why some might not like it. Longevity is insane. No joke: you can still smell this days after wearing it. Absolute beast..longevity and projection. If you consider yourself an expert and love perfumes, you simply have no choice but to have had a bottle of this juice in your lifetime. Antaeus...the legend lives on.

renoir
renoir

Animalistic, intense, top notes are over powering and repulsive to some but when it cools down, very very interesting. Tried it once, don't know if I'll wear it again, usually I prefer musk to castoreum..

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

My first reaction.
"Dirty leather pants. Disgusting."

Second time sampling.
"Leather pants with lot of soap. Intresting."

Didn't buy it then, but couldn't let it go. I had to sample it third time.
"Some honey and tobacco too. Quite nice."

I bought the bottle and gave it first proper wearing. In the end of the day Antaeus surprised me again. It smelled like being in forrest.
"Can this be a chypre?"

In the next morning I wake up to smell of rose and maybe sandalwood. That was what was left of Antaeus. Yet an another surprise.

I wear this week in a row to get to know it better. It's not so scary, macho scent that some say it is. It's quite easy and sophisticated as a matter of fact.

Only problem I have with it is that sometimes it's constraction falls into pieces. Those times it smells like old green fougere. I know that there isn't lavender in notes but that's the overall efect I get.

Antaeus has many faces and it takes some time to get know him. This classic is one of the best scents currently available in mainstream shops.

8,5/10

orestes
orestes

Very potent,it lasts in my body only 2 hours(212 vip it lasts all day long)i prefer egoiste,specially egoiste platinum,it worth all the money it costs

istanblue
istanblue

Nothing compares to Antaeus.Incredible woody chypre fragrance for real men.

blaisepascal87
blaisepascal87

Love at first spray! A very classical fragrance for adult men that, in my opinion, so I can wear it when I'll be over 30!

four_strings
four_strings

Aramis gone amiss!

I tried this the day before yesterday. In my opinion, it's starts out as an Aramis clone...then it becomes a poor copy...then it becomes...well...aweful.

Beyond 30 minutes into the test, this just smell very sharp and "cheap" (believe it or not). Honestly, it had an animal urine odor to it. My wife couldn't wait until I could get home and scrub it off my arm.

If you like this one and it works on you...great! I mean you no offense.

In my opinion, this tries to be Aramis and fails miserably. This is no Aramis!

Cheadle
Cheadle

When you buy a Gem like this, use it only on special occasions because it is highly addictive. Always keep some other fresh stuff (I won't name drop) for casual use. If you use this as an everyday frag then have a spare cos you WILL need it for that meeting, that appointment or whatever occasion you consider special. You will always stand out as a sophisticated gentleman whether they say so or not they WILL JUST KNOW IT!!

garett
garett

It is my 3rd scent ever bought.I am kind of like preserving it also a little.This is a nuclear bomb.It kills all the other scent's smell when you are in some gathering , which means you may or may not feel like a winner.Personally i feel like a winner with this , cold hot rain whatever weather , i dont care.The leathery smell is more than fahrenheit dior could have got ever.F'kin love this good shi..

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

Very 80's (hate that term, but it is) . Not anyone could pull antaeus off, it has its own character (personality), the "Antaeus Man" as i call it.
I love the bees wax in this. Reminds me of Canada for some reason. Canadian woods i guess. Very masculine. Its cozy. Thick and green. Classic fougere. Its very different if you want to stand out in the crowd wear this. Well blended. I really love breathing this. But its just not me. its a masterpiece though. 8/10.

renzo

the vintage was much better, darker and deeper... The current one should be called Antaeus Light ...

brigittehiroshi
brigittehiroshi

What could I say about Antaeus that has not been said before? I simply love it. When you spray Antaeus on your skin, It becomes part of you, and you become part of Antaeus.

I smell a deep and perfect rose scent that becomes powdery in the drydown. Wearing Antaeus is like wearing the best clothes from the best designer, you can feel the luxury of this fragrance. The projection is the precise and the longevity is incredible.

Not long ago I went to a perfume shop and I bought one bottle, but before I sprayed only once in my wrists. One hour later I went to a different perfume shop and the sales assistant tried to make me try a new perfume. I told her that I like perfumes such as Antaeus but she didn't know exactly what I meant. I just told her to smell my wrists and you could see her face! She immediately acknowledged that It was an incredibly good fragrance. She told me she loved this scent.

I wear Antaeus when I want to feel myself stylish and dressy. It's a perfume for special occasions, or simply for those days you feel you're someone special.

SAungle
SAungle

I bought it in 2007 when I went through a lonely time, remembering that an ex from years before wore Chanel, and I used to pick up his clothes when he was out and inhale that lovely aroma that lingered. Hmm! So I enjoyed wearing the deodorant stick version when by myself in the city. I even wore it absent mindedly with a borrowed ballgown, even after I was told not to use perfume with the ballgown, as it was a family heirloom!

Deep and earthy, more so than anything. A very different experience in itself.

drmath123
drmath123

very manly scent. Chicks love this one.

jrichart
jrichart

En una palabra, ''imponente'', esta es la mejor palabra para resumir lo que es Antaeus de Chanel ya que este perfume cuando te lo aplicas es como si llevaras un pilar mental que sostuviera tu actitud y modales, este chipre maderoso eleva las cotas de asertividad y carácter como pocos perfumes he visto en la perfumería masculina, quizas el único que le supere sea Fahrenheit o Yatagan. Antaeus, es el powerhouse típico de los 80, cargado de hierbas aromáticas, maderoso y resinoso. En resumen, una obra maestra inponderable de todos los tiempos. Como curiosidad, Antaeus tiene unos 95 ingredientes en su fórmula original, el único que le supera es Loewe pour homme con unos 200. El único punto en contra que le encuentro a este perfume es que es poco versatil, usarlo para diario sería como desperdiciar un ambientador, Antaeus es un perfume para lucirlo en un acto formal, como pudiera ser una graduación universitaria, una boda, etc.

oxm
oxm

Antaeus is pure legend: his warm notes such as
wind that blows from the desert make it one of the best perfumes for men (really) the opening is extraordinary herbs and citrus, but immediately presents itself before the true face of Antaeus, or fine woods and precious flowers and fleshy and fragrant enough to almost hear the flight of insects, Antaeus is the monolith of 2001: A Space Odyssey, black, shiny and hypnotic by ancestral recall, the bottom is wild and animalistic ... maybe Cartier Santos can hold his confrontation but Antaeus is a real force of nature ...... after removing his nose out of my wrist I can for a few moments to perceive the fragrance, is one of those scents tend to smell to impress (Yatagan, Drakkar and Antaeus in fact) ...

ThatMakesScents

I recently purchased the reformulation of this at Bloomingdales. I so wanted this to be the one for me. Especially since I am at the time in my life where soft fruity citrus scents make my skin crawl. I need a true man's fragrance...enter Antaeus.

When I tried the older version 2 years ago it was too strong for me. Today I feel the opposite. It smells very nice once you put it on your skin but IMO the base notes come on too quickly. I wouldn't have an issue with this if it was a wet sticky drydown but it isn't. It goes from a wet opening to arid/powdery drydown within 30 minutes. Fast forward an hour or so and YES you can still smell the fragrance but it isn't working with your body heat nor is it reeking from your clothing....BUMMER. It isn't wafting off your arm hairs. There is no aura around you that is Antaeus.

What you do get is a gentle aroma of a very fine fragrance. A softened classic. I hesitate to say UNISEX but I wouldn't be wrong to classify it as such.

I love this though. Hopefully the warmer weather will allow me to wear this more. I am hoping it is just my dry skin which is the problem. When warmer weather hits I shpritz like no tomorrow. Let's wait and see.

If you like :

Oscar De La Renta POR LUI QUOROM ETC. and those types of heavy complex scents then you MUST try this one. A true beauty that if potent enough would make anyone who appreciates those types of fragrances very happy.

DC-8
DC-8

Long ago, I had said lots of complains and negative comments about it. I'm honest and man enough to officially beg for pardon and extend my apology and hereby I take back all my former words about Antaeus! (blushed) :-)

However, this sent is one of those old, intense and powerful ones that not everyone would find it attractive. If you're not into in 70s or early 80s styles, forget all about Antaeus, since it would be just a waste of money.

The startup would be boldly sharp and feeling fresh but lovely. Very quickly it vanishes into the heart notes, which are a bit animalic and darker and sort of bitter, but not much bitter. It's warm, leathery and chypre. There's some background sweet note in it that might be a bit undesired, but however, still okay.

Dry down is better. Warm, still feeling traces of chypre and limy. A feeling of the powdery scent is all the time escorting you.

I wouldn't wear it on winter or fall time. For me, it worked best on the spring time. You would feel like a man in his 50s. Such a good voyage...

Longevity is incredible and beyond compare. After about 12+ hours, still people asked me of my frag. It was obviously present after all these hours. After 17+ still it's present as well... Smashing!

The traces of the base notes on your cloth would feel real nice after a while. For several days, it will remain on your shirt and easily sensible.

I run short in words to describe how Antaeus appears, when it comes to the projection and sillage. You always receive comments from people, from distance, even after 12+ hours. Such an enduring masterpiece.

I had given mine to my brother and after a while he returned it to me; I'm so happy now! I love it and I will buy it again, as it's among my signature frags.

Thanks, well done and again begging your pardon for my former comments, Mr. Polge and Chanel! (handshaking) :-)

WARNING!! Never ever go overwearing it or it would cause headache. 5 whiffs would work out pretty great and last for hours and hours. Guaranteed!

"Can't go wrong with Chanel, even if you want to!"

mrcontinental
mrcontinental

I had an eighties flash back this weekend and grabbed this along with Santos by Cartier. I've tried the newer fragrances and have added some to my collection but few can compare to this. I'm a big man and the old school scents from the eighties fit me because they are me since I'm in my late forties.

Masterful and powerful, no nonsense and strictly business. I do not bath in my sauce and know how to apply it properly to acheive the proper affect and not send people gasping for air. Just a few drops to the hot spots and you are done. Overspray this and you can induce seizures. It's hard to believe that Chanel has gone from something as marvelous as this to Bleu as it's flagship scent for men.

dxcess
dxcess

Nr.1 Frgrance

Very Very Lovely
... magnetic

necromancer
necromancer

Whenever I wear Antaeus, I feel empowered, supreme and elegant. The fragrance is masculinity in a bottle, like Zeus himself, truly godly. A masterpiece in all its glory, and still a classic. A must-have in any collection!

spartan
spartan

Beautiful masculine scent, truly A masterpiece. 10/10 If you have grown tired the all the unisex scents on the market as of late, this will put A Huge smile on your face.
My signature scent.

FrHanne
FrHanne

Normally I love Woody chypre's on my husband - unfortunately Antaeus which he really liked wearing..made me extremely nauseous (and headachey like the first reviewet Aiona writes)
So luckily for me, he switched to Helmut Lang's Cuiron (he, strangely found them similar???!!?!) Ever since Cuiron has been discontinued..he hasn't found a signature scent :(

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

Chanel Antaeus is pure masculinity classic Chanel. The lastest version is toned down from the 1980's powerhouse that I grew up with, but it did not hurt the balance or impact in my opinion. I just experience the reformulation as a new version and a different take on the classic benchmark from the 1980's. Beautiful and more wearable for everday is how I would describe the new version.

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

Wandering into a high street perfumery kiosk in London, I found myself asking the boy in the cheap fleece jacket behind the counter if I could test Antaeus, first on my hand and then if it suited me, on my perspiring neck in order to gauge the Castoreum content upon the girls in my open plan office. As I somberly applied the schizzle to the back of my hand I reflected how I had wound up in this underwhelming shop as Lionel Richie's Dancing on the Ceiling spat from the tinny sound system.
It had been just 3 days before at the gym's reception, that I had seen this large swarthy muscle bound man with a shaven head and black Corairs beard, delicately apply Anateus to his huge fingers before dabbing the cologne in great drops of pungent dew on his sweating neck following his boxing workout. He was performing his crass ritual in front of a sexy female boxer with whom he appeared to want a round in the ring. Without thinking I blurted out "Do you know what the secret ingredient is in Antaeus? - its the sweat gland from a beavers anus - its said to attract women". His beard broke into a broad smile like a pirate about to rape and pillage and he nodded knowingly - "Yes...its been my only scent for the past 15 years".
I knew then that I must try this for myself, this man was living proof that the Beaver Gland was a fool proof pheromone as he sauntered off with his latest lady sparring partner.
Back in the shop I inhaled and found myself transported nose first deep into to a Beavers lodging, such was the rich glandular anal stupor as I waved my hand back and forth in front of the kid behind the counter. Mmmmmmnnnnngh..
Sadly however I detected traces of my least favourite note, the herbal acridity of coriander seeds that have ruined many a romantic anniversary Laksa dinner at Malaysian and Thai restaurants in my life. Crestfallen, I apologized to the shop assistant and firmly wiped the back of my hand on his cheap pilled fleecy sleeve.

Newsflash: after 4 months of torment, late night phone calls to friends and helplines and attempts to drink away my confusion with Russian standard vodka, I have finally bought this as my evening scent, to replace L'instant by Guerlain - which had begun to make me smell like a Confectioner with its star anise and cocoa. I find Antaeus to be animalistic and raw - yet soft with a gentleman's barbershop powdery quality. It hovers about 4 inches around me , vaporizing the masculinity of lesser men... - and the castoreum puts my potential career or love rivals "on notice". Its the Sean Connery of James Bond 007.

Fmcandy
Fmcandy

Great perfume, I like to spray it on my hair , allways love men scents. I also mix it with very femenine scents like miss dior cherie, I know it ' s strange but it goes great on me.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

Nice tantalizing sillage and excellent longevity. This is simply radiant as it seems to go on with the same tenacity for hours while the notes projected change dramatically. It starts fresh and bitter (if a bit too sharp), goes into a monster jasmine and musty patchouli phase for quite long and then becomes a very intriguing honeyed musk. The jasmine note is very pronounced and richly indolic, something I never expected to smell in masculine frags. Patchouli and musk give it an air of vintage soap which might put off many people but it is ok by me. The drydown reminds me several old style colognes not just masculine ones. If memory serves me, there was one meant for women in the 80's called Tosca that had a similarly animalic musky base.

In all, the perfume is very nicely blended and doesn't smell like it is meant to please the crowds. In that sense I find it quite artisanal and it is one of the few mainstreams to feature such a strong patchouli note (only other one that comes to mind is elixir by clinique). My only objection is the bottle that feels cheap and plastic. It looks as if it contains body lotion or after shave, not perfume.

rt94103
rt94103

I recently pulled out my vintage bottle of Antaeus and discovered it's still half-full. This simple black bottle brings back so many memories just seeing it, but spritzing it on causes a rush of emotions as it's been a friend for so long, and it has been my wingman when the nights were to be noticed.

This is a sexy scent to me, one that will always be with me for occasions when I want to be forward. It can be a bit too forward and shouts a bit when first applied but as the evening wears on the Antaeus turns it on. It's sometimes too much on the neck, often walking through it's mist in the air seems to provide just the right amount of scent. It's masculine and never too floral on me, and draws compliments readily.

Will now use it sparingly, so this one bottle will remain a lifelong friend, a very reassuring idea to me.

Just bought a large 8 oz. vintage bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur to replace the other favorite scent of mine from my youth. The way I sparingly use scents, this bottle will no doubt outlive me. I feel as if the house of Chanel can answer all my and my wife's needs in the olfactory department. That would be fine for me, but I like to spoil her...

Vintage Antaeus will always be sexy, romantic and magical to me.

meshary007
meshary007

Antaeus .. feel the power

ok if you are not a fan of 80s don't read.

this one is wow ambery strong warm spicy and smoky.

Any fan of Aramis will love Antaeus ,thay just walk in the same street but not the same man ..!

the opening is strong ambery leathery the dry down is spicy and smoky it feels like peppery some how.

scent 9.8/10

Antaeus .. the strong man

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

Initial take- top: citrus (lemon-lime, bergamot?), nice, somewhat sharp, but generic perfumey scent
@ 10" I'm picking up some mild floral aldehydes that I can't quite identify (perhaps rose), with some slight spiciness (almost, but not quite, Old Spice-iness)
@ 30" I'm sensing non-descript woody notes, nothing yet animalistic
@ 45" smooth, sweetened patchouli, + what?
@ 60" Oh my goodness- what happened? This is really NICE! But how do I describe it? Beautiful! Believe it or not it makes me think of the nicest aspects of Kouros (I know, I know, some of you probably think there ARE no nice aspects of Kouros, but, there it is). I like it- but, do I like it enough to buy it? Undecided, but considering- will have to test a few more times first…

tmoody352
tmoody352

I began wearing this back in the early to mid 80's. It was discontinued or off the shelves at a later time, late 80's??? When I would shop at a high-end department store I would always go to the men's cologne dept and see it there was any eau de toilette in stock, and if so, I would buy every bottle available.
When I have worn Antaeus I have had people, both women and men, to chase me down to see what scent I was wearing. I could do laundry and the smell would still be on my shirts after a wash and dry! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS STUFF, but so difficult to find!

Oslo-fjord

Antaeus.. In the 80-ies I jused to love it, and now I have start use it again. I wonder if it can be some batch variations with Antaeus, because my new bottle smells much better than the last one. My new bottle smells more like the deo-stick, and it`s more similar to the original formula. Antaeus is probably the best scent of the survivers from the 80-ies. I think it`s not so stong as some claim. It gives a vonderful classy sillage / aura. It`s the best scent from Chanel, along with Egoiste.

Kharnak

o_O it.. what? something's different. A newer decant of this is far different. Sweet, far FAR more Aldehydic rose, herbal.... eventually quiets down with a Leathery note. Soapy Leather. Still has the same Herbal bouquet as the original, with this woody chamomile like twig smell. Bit more perfumy. Still VERY refined and mature, classy, Herbal..... Oiled Leather. Still great.
But it's missing that pungent opening!! The liquid color is different too, the old one was like an oily yellow. Could it really be the Castoreum that made all that difference? I don't have a sample of pure Castoreum to compare. :c i want my classic Antaeus! grrr
They shoulda just called it "Son of Antaeus" who is now only perhaps Quarter demigod.

scenturian

I don't understand the word "dated" for perfumes, or "modern".
How a perfume can be dated or modern.
It doesn't matter from which year it is, simply you may like it or not.
That's it.
Thanx.

Heaven Scent 777
Heaven Scent 777

In my experience I have to say that this is far better than a lot of this post modern crap that permeates the market today. 'Old School'! Exactly what does that mean? Well, if it means it smells powerful, sensual, elegant and refined then I'll have old school any time. I wear this at work sometimes and women compliment me all the time. The reason for this is simple in my opinion. The notes are blended well to produce a rich and gorgeous smell that also makes the wearer feel nice. To me a truly excellent fragrance should make the wearer feel enriched and Antaeus does just that. Such is the way this masterpiece is concocted it's as though an alchemist has produced it. A fine aromatic woody and leathery smell with just a hint of the lime/lemon notes. Yet, you can get sense of the other notes too. The castoreum adds an animalic quality and the rose, jasmine and labdanum can be detected too. No one note though dominates in my opinion. A reader of my review might find that it's all positive and very one sided. That has to do with the fact that I love strong and powerful scents such as Fahrenheit, Heritage, Kouros, Opium, Polo, Habit Rouge, Boss number one, Obsession and the like and so a powerhouse scent like Antaeus will be much loved by me. In short, I love fragrances from the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Pure class that screamed "I'm here". In a way I'm glad that the wimps I know at work and elsewhere prefer to wear Burberry or Lacoste, because when I walk past people know I'm around.

I give Antaeus a 10/10 for silage, and longevity. This stuff lasts all day and while it may not be cheap it's value for money in that it stays with you all day and gives you that feel good factor. One of Chanel's finest moments.

isabella.fr.83
isabella.fr.83

I smelled it on a man passing by a few days ago. I( loved it in rthe 80ies and still love it now. When I come accorss sonme one wearing Antaeus, I have to refrain from following the guy all day long! Maybe I should buy it for myself. as any girl been wearing this?

scenturian

Is it really reformulated or just a rumor or our sense of smell changes by time? But seems to me weaker than the initial release.
Anyway still love the Chanel Antaeus.

LucianFlorescu
LucianFlorescu

A classic masculin fragrance.I just love his warm , pleasent smell.Appropiate in almost every situation.

Maying Prantis
Maying Prantis

Testosteroney and sexy. Bought it for my partner, can't stop sniffing his neck. This scent is sexual and non-pretentious. Classic.

I had a bottle of the original. The castoreum was too strong for me. Otherwise, it smelled very nice but was a bit boring, rather one-dimensional, the kind of fragrance for those who don't want to think about it after they spray it on. Very rich and natural smelling, though. Sample this one first, and make sure you know which version you are sampling !

MrMookie
MrMookie

From the 80's powerhouse club!
Deep bow for this one, its super-duper masculine, i dont buy it yet because im a young father and i dont see young men wearing this it will be disturbing for the females walking by (or maybe a little bit on your wrist to sniff its deep allure.)
its THE perfect scent for a matured man late 40's and further and I will hopefully get to that age also one day.. and this one will sit on my shelf.
drydown is excellent soapy i like the herbs..its goes on and on and on...

tomerits
tomerits

a classic perfume,one of the best from chanel and one of the best ever made, spray it 3-4 times on your skin and it will stay on u all day.
timeless scent.love it.
my rank 5/5.

jsnat1227
jsnat1227

Regarding Antaeus,

I have read most of your reviews and I completely disagree with the majority. Firstly, Antaeus is not to be worn by women. (Not even by lesbians who are {officially} married and have several Chinese children named Lee and Rose.)Nope! Masculine scent all the way... !

Antaeus is the Bonnie Tyler of music. 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' is an Eightie's song, but is it not an American classic? World-wide classic, in fact. Both arrived on the scene in the early 1980's, yet... both are still around for a reason.

Autumn skin is brilliant when splashed with Mr. Polges' (second {2nd} greatest) creation. Stilton cheese is brilliant when spread on an olive oiled, toasted, butter-smeared baguette (with or without thinly sliced ham). You see? Antaeus is to cologne what Vueve is to Champaigne. Always classy, always classic. When one criticizes Lacoste for having a crocodile, as it seems Eighties (80's) Izod, well, you get the idea.

This is a scent that rivals Guerlain's Derby. Strong as it might be, it is an office-wear, evening-wear, whenever-wear. That old woman who ran Vogue once said, "People don't wear a large enough splash of cologne anymore..." Antaeus is the perfect example of this quandry. A man should wear it and wear it well. Splash it, spray it, wear it. It's not 'dated,' your ideas however,...!

Polge for President! (Kidding, of course)

Jason D. Smith
(Ohio)

Scentrist
Scentrist

I just tried this again for the first time in what must be 20+ years while I was browsing duty-free. The animalic notes just linger throughout as the signature to this scent -- in essence, the combination of that with the coriander, basil and thyme doesn't really blend very well and simply smells unfinished and 'dirty' in an earthy way with not-so-good connotations.

In other words, typical Chanel. Moribund. Lackluster. Unremarkable.

It's one that will generate very strong opinions. I recall occasions when I'd have worn it, but now I can't seem to think of one. It feels dated. This will not be a buy, nor a future sample for me.

jae
jae

Oh my... guys get so thrown off by that castoreum. I can detect it in the beginning, but it doesn't bother me. After 5 minutes, this becomes what a MANLY man should smell like. Smoky, floral and a bit spicy. I get everything my testosterone craves in Antaeus. It took me forever to try this one, but I'm so glad I did.

seand7373
seand7373

This is the best. I haven't found anything better and doubt I will.

Cezanne
Cezanne

This is the most glorious scent in the world and if it would sit right on me I would wear it. As it is I cannot undestand why every man in the world doesnt use it. Its perfect, alluring, assured, masculine, charismatic.... oh my!

cyber861
cyber861

بویه تیزی داره.ولی آدمو میگیره که فقط دوست داری بو بکشی

تلخ -تند-بسیار مردانه و با کلاس

krmarich
krmarich

This was Chanels powerhouse mens production. Launched 10 years afeter Coco's death, it grabbed attention with its deep rich manly appeal. I was only able to sample it(every time I visited the perfume counter) in the 80s, as it was expensive then. I loved it and wanted it.

Status, elegance and sex appeal in a bottle.

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A strong, tingling, harsh, dramatic odour...

0 - 2 Hours - Projection excellent, is intense and makes you take a step back, this is something special and not the every day. It has moments of tingling spice - like little perfume fizz bombs bubbling away while the base remains the same

2 - 6 Hours - Projection good, Class, matur"ish", sexy, different, spicy, peppery, intriguing, night time, dinner suits

Quality

minimalist

When I was in the Army (It was mandatory then in my country) I used to have a bottle of Antaeus in my locker. One day rushing to grab my clean uniform my bottle fell off and shattered leaving the room scented with this wonderful pencil shavings + cognac accord for months. An officer came for inspection and stated: "It smells like women in here", funny that such a masculine smell may be mistaken for a sultry Poison-like aroma!

Luforge
Luforge

This is class on its own..If your confident and have charm, this is for you.The fragrance to begin with hits you with overwhelming mytle and sage,with superb dry-down to a floral woody base..you only need to spray gracefully lightly on yor skin because the longevity last for hours..and i meen hrs! One of chanels best...just love this..!

monamoni1111
monamoni1111

awsome

ION

What I love so much about "Antaeus", is the bottle! The epitome of simplicity! I have a feeling that in Chanel don't feel comfortable with opaque bottles "but no worries, you've done a good job here".
The aroma is nice but not great. On certain people it will be 'something else' but only on certain people.
This is more a try to make art while being commercial, and it shows.
I can think someone buying a bottle for the moments he wants a change but staying true to it, I don't see it.
Also, like many older Chanel perfumes this has been tweaked but not for the better. Today's "Antaeus" has lost its boldness.
Lastly, one has to applaude the disarmingly kitch tv commercial that accompanied it.

A note: consider this the male interpretation of the mythical "Magie Noire".

IanB
IanB

Well I tried this in the 80's and had to give up wearing it as it was so powerfull and you just couldn't get rid of the smell! 80's night clubbing!
Have worn Pour Monsieur for 30 plus years and read a review that they'd toned Antaeus down, went with my better half to the shop and sprayed some on me and was very disappointed! So went to have a glass of wine & well wow 30mins later what a change! Back was that lovely familiar and unique smell but softer and more err 'powdery' if that's the right word. Went back and bought it.
A degree of nostalgia for sure but a lot more sophisticated than the 80's version - oh and the girls in the office love it too!!

VanAllan
VanAllan

Tested today for real, meaning two good shots on both of my wrists. The result: I felt myself surrounded by a manly, leathery, dry, bitter-dark vale with a touch of the 80's glory.
All the notes seems, after a while, perfectly blended together, for short time some of them like patchouli, thyme, coriander, or oakmoss rising their head to make noticed their presence in the wonderful whole, masterfully wrapped in a gorgeous french labdanum & rose aura.
I almost was off put by the initial burst, but I was patient and rewarded after: the middle and the base were heavenly for me, ones of the best I experienced in a men's fragrance until now !. In my 'love' and 'wanted' list. My humble rank 9.2/10. ☣☣☣☣☣

Grottola
Grottola

Luca Turin, in The Guide, stated that great accords of perfumery are like holograms, in that the picture stays even though the sound may fade in and out or there may be a few glitches.

Antaeus is an example of that. Chanel has been a decent house when it comes to quality control and reformulations (most of their stuff smells like it always did), and while the fragrances aren't exactly the same as they used to be, Antaeus, Pour Monsieur, and the other classics are still here.

I have both the vintage and current formulations of Antaeus, and can vouch that Antaeus certainly is not as thick, rich, or full as it used to be. The vintage version had a stronger beeswax/castoreum presence and was overall more of an oriental. While that oriental character is still there, Antaeus is a bit slimmer than he used to be. The vetiver and patchouli have been turned up a bit, and the beeswax and castoreum have been turned town. It's almost like half Antaeus, half Kouros Fraicheur (the current formulation of Antaeus could make a *decent* alternative to Kouros Fraicheur, but keep in mind that KF is fresher, soapier, and has a distinctive pineapple/civet accord). Regardless, Antaeus still has that "fuzzy", resinous warmth it always had. I've known Antaeus since I was little (I think my dad wore it), and thus it was probably the first fragrance I smelled with a nice labdanum note. After about an hour or two the labdanum in Antaeus rears its head, and I love it dearly. I really wish more fragrances would utilize labdanum - it's probably the most beautiful note in perfumery and is integral to the chypre structure. That's probably another reason I love Antaeus so much - it's dark and woody, but there's a chypre hidden in there.

Anyway, I find Antaeus to be among the classiest, most accessible powerhouse fragrances. It's not "too old" or "dated" by any means. Antaeus is nowhere near as pissy or overbearing as some of his peers (like Kouros). Just give it a chance, it won't hurt you. Someday, God forbid, Antaeus may be gone, so try it now, because it's one of the best masculines ever.

Good stuff.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

It's dated and dont know when to wear such a smell these days.
But comparing it to it's friend (azzaro pour homme ,paco rabanne,aramis... )it's the best of those IMO.
With that genre i always smell oakmoss in front ,most detectable note.
Can smell citrus in opening ,minutes later patchouli came and it become powdery herbal little sweet.
Quality with very good longevity 12+hours and crazy projection but i see that it's time has gone.

freddiefingers
freddiefingers

Top notes will be off-putting for the impatient.Base notes,gorgeous.every now and then it's good to go back to the 80's and relive the good old days in the chaos of the present.

this fragrance doesnt disappoint and is one of those that dated or not should bring smiles and serenity to those that loved it in the past

horizon
horizon

very masculine,excellent,classy woody chypre perfume.

As a sophisticated men's scent for going out this is very nice. It's the scent my husband wore when I met him :)

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

A very good Chanel with huge potential for disappointing the wrong customer - i.e. anyone who reads about it online before trying. Obviously reformulated down to a tamer shadow of its former self, the current Antaeus is a staid, somewhat animalic '80s masculine chypre, well-laden with honey, castoreum, sandalwood, labdanum, vetiver, and patchouli. It's certainly an assertive scent, although no monster these days, and for my money it's a bit too put together. I figured the onyx bottle contained Chanel's black sheep, Chanel's Kouros, but I was wrong. This is nice and more than a little safe. It feels more like Chanel's other Pour Monsieur. I think there's something to love here, but there could be more. Still, given how it compares to most of Chanel's range, Antaeus is a better bet than some of the Les Exclusifs, with noticeably higher-quality materials than the Allure, Coco, and Chance lines. I'd rather wear Kouros or Balenciaga PH, but if you already have those, Antaeus is a logical addition to your collection. It's good stuff.

JohnMc

The male fragrance equivalent of a quality paper over a tabloid, a gourmet meal over a junk food tv dinner. The lavender notes are for some considered old and stuffy. I however, love this fragrance for that reason. Lavender amongst its other ingredients have a calming and incense like effect on my skin. This is very much a work fragrance, serious, restrained, but uncommon and refined. I wouldn't wear this on a day off or with a t-shirt, but then I don't wear a suit either on my days off. Not for everyone, but for as a 30 something man, an essential component in my own fragrance canon!

A bit dated and not as good as Knize Ten but still miles ahead from the average quality we have in todays mass market perfumery. Oh, If just the latest Chanel's masculine releases smelled like this... On a once in a while rotational roster.

Ladies should try this as well.

Rating: 8.5/10

mediterranean
mediterranean

Very sensual and conservative at the same time.For men with class.

Cylob
Cylob

My all-time favorite isn't as wonderful anymore as it used to be. Not as deep, dark and sweet as the original, which is a shame.
Tested it a few times in the last few months because I couldn't believe it was true.
But now I'm sure: either the formula has been changed (like people suggest) or my nose or skin have changed for the worse.
Bummer: it's like meeting your first love again and you're realizing that person changed into a whole other person you don't like as much anymore...

Still a great fragrance, but I want my Antaeus back!!! :(

I'll just rate the original 80's/90's formula: 10/10

Kharnak

VERY herbaciously woody, with a hint of Chamomile once it dries down. Distinctively male, strong. Complex, as all good Chanels are.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

It was the woody base i first noticed, I love woody notes.
I was just complaining the Chanel Pour Monsoir had a lemon opening, and the sales lady said Antaeus didn't have any lemon. Well she was wrong, but lucky it doesnt stand out in this one.
This gorgeous scent first reminded me of Habit Rouge by Guerlain, only so much more refined and special than the Habit Rouge i use to have ( the rerelease).
Maybe in my mid to late 30's, when If I can afford it, I'll refer back to Myer for Antaeus and use it for my nights out?

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

This is some really good stuff!
I remember liking this when I sniffed the card in a magazine advertisement when I was a teenager back in the mid 80's. I never purchased it but the memory stuck with me. I've had many different colognes over the years, but lately have grown tired of the new tastes in men's fragrance. I was looking for something different, excellent, and classic and remembered Antaeus. I hadn't seen it in stores in years so I went to the Chanel website and there it was. Now I see it at Neiman-Marcus. I've had it about a year now. Wow, luxurious like I remembered. This is my first review and I'm not versed in describing scents, but after reading all of the previous comments I can say this.

It starts off very strong and a little over bearing even with just a small spray. Too much going on at first to describe, but wait. After only seconds the citrus notes appear and the scent softens. I don't get floral at all. Not at the beginning, middle or end. After several minutes the citrus notes start to fade allowing the spice notes to take over. However, I would not describe the scent as "spicy". The best way I can describe it is "fresh powdery green". Very lush and luxurious. To me very clean and dry also. Would work day or night in my opinion. The faint leather scent starts to play into the mix with more time. Very masculine.

The scent lasts and lasts. A true classic 80's fragrance. I don't wear it for anyone else. I wear this for me because I like it. No. I love it! It IS an indulgence. A refinement. It makes me happy, and it has a mysterious, dreamy, almost ephemeral quality that sets it apart from everything else for me. I do not wear it everyday but I could. It would NEVER grow old if I did. This one is special. I think I have the reformulated version and I'm glad I never had the original because then I wouldn't love it as much.

It works on me, but I don't think it works on everyone and I understand that. Different people have different tastes and opinions. I get that, but those who know and love this fragrance are in the elite minority. Those who don't get it are, quite simply put, missing out. I realize I'm lucky that Polge's creation suits me so well. "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death." Antaeus feeds my soul.

Lookin4Happy
Lookin4Happy

Antaeus is the sexiest men's fragrance I have ever had the pleasure of smelling. I first smelled it when I hugged a male coworker many years ago, and had to know what it was. I would make any excuse to hug this man at work just so I could smell him. It was heaven. I had no attraction to him, just to Antaeus.
When I met my now husband, a wonderful, charismatic, handsome, well-dressed man, with impeccable tastes, I bought him a bottle of it for a gift. I look forward to winter when he will wear it, and when he does, all it takes is one whiff, and I wanna slip between the sheets.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

I love this one, for men over 30.
The only fragrance from Chanel i really love and enjoy wearing. No way this can be unisex......Only a MAN can wear this

Helsinki
Helsinki

Antaeus was... is... meant to be worn by the wealthy, well-behaved, prestigious and experienced man, who knows himself - definitely aged 50+, with a glint in his eye and numerous laughter lines (why not a comb in his pocket, too).

Imagine an alpha male who goes to a boxing match, front row seats, a frack and a white cashmere scarf on his shoulders. That's him.

The beeswax note is very clever. Hands up, who would've associated beeswax with the masculinity Antaeus holds? Imaginative, imaginative... :)

Somebody stated that Antaeus could be worn by self-assured women. I disagree. This scent isn't coupled well by estrogene. It just doesn't work out. It is meant to be paired with testosterone, it craves manhood.

It takes cojones.

I took some time reading this reviews and I can't stop laughing. It seems that if anyone wants to know what kind of fragance applys to men or women, homosexuals, metrosexuals or whatever, all he have to do is to ask an american guy. They seem to know all about that.
Also they have a clear mind about how an old lady wardrobe smells like.

It's funny, because this clear views come from people who live in a country with no tradition at all in making fragances, thing that in Europe has some centurys of experience in making and wearing them.

A gay scent from the 80s?!? An old lady wardrobe smell?!?
Probably US have strange old ladies and the gays of the 80s that lived in there were no exception.
The most hilarious thing however is how someone can apply those states to one of the most masculine scents I know, but that is a misterious thing I'm sure any american guy can answer.

I'm a strait guy by the way and I never found an old lady smelling of Antaeus neither a gay smelling other thing than flowers, but I've never been in the US.

Antaeus is a very good masculine scent, with no gay connection nor old ladies at least in Europe.

zecheiroso

Top **
Heart ****
Base *****
Final score ****

Power incarnate, or how Don Corleone probably smells like.
Luxurious. Lustful, lascivious, lewd, libidinous.
The name and the mythology around it are fantastic too.

The good
This isn't for the faint of heart. It's assertive like no recent offerings. Noticeable but not screaming or vulgar like the majority of low end scents.
Undoubtly manly and proper, it's like entering a formal event with a beautiful lady in tow: you are the man and everyone gets it.
Awesome touch of majesty on formal settings, I see it fitting business settings too.
The sweet beeswax note in the drydown is specially pleasant, and rare.
Loud but rather limited sillage and great durability. Perfect for its purpose.
Very uncommon scent.

The bad
Poor versatility. What am I supposed to do with a tuxedo most of the time?
Wearing it in summertime should be a felony.

The ugly
For the younger crowd, it's dated. No way around it. Few young girls will find it nice smelling, and most guys will label it grandpa scent (sure, most of them think Acqua di Gio is the way to go when greeting the Queen of England but I digress).
The top notes are loud and borderline unpleasant.
Can only be used with a light hand.

PS: +1 for the guest below, scents need several real wearings to be appreciated.

After reading several reviews and some are negative ones, I decided to put here my own but, first things first:

I never, ever say anything about a fragance only by smell it on paper or even by trying it on my skin for a minute or so. My opinion is based exclusively in my experience, wearing it for several days. I don't think to be honest to do otherwise.

This fragance has some sort of an enemy which is hot weather. It doesn't work well with high temperatures at least on my skin. It doesn't project well, it restrains somehow and can be a little bit unpleasant.
However, with temperatures below +-22 Celsius it can excel and it is a remarkable interpretation of leather in a fragance.
It is a mature scent, not for "aqua-citrus-sweet-boys" who don't have time to wait to some luxury refined smell.
In cold weather it lasts and project very well indeed.
In my opinion it is forbeden for spring/summer.
I have it, I wear it and I love it.

RobbieX
RobbieX

A powerful frag - smoky, floral, leathery, dirty and unique. Might get some more if I see it at the right price.

Nimue666
Nimue666

Happened upon this fragrance in a PRIDE institute drug and alcohol rehab. (I am psychiatric RN also recovering also bi). PRIDE is specifically for GLBT recovering community. A gay man left his Anteus behind, so I tried it.
OMG. Fell in love. Deep, woodsy, dark, stays on my skin but not intrusive.
Years later read Lucas Turin's review that Anteaus was iconic gay scent of the 80's...LOL Indeed.

My hope is this never ends.
Every year a lot of scents come out, most of them with no purpose at all and no success.
I'm a consumer as I wear a perfume every day but i'm not available to try this one and that one and the other one and the one with that nice bottle and so on.
So, I can use more than one perfume but I won't use dozens. 2 or 3 will do.
Those 2 or 3 must however be something special to me. I don't want to use easy things with no character no strenght, no longevity, no impact, I need special things and easely will live my life straight to them.

That said, I have to say that Antaeus needs time.
My first impression was not good. The opening can be complex like a bomb of nonsense things. Needs time.
And after that time it can need more time because there are things we learn to like, to love and to appreciate.
My first spray gave me mixed impressions - Old, maked me feel old myself, not so sure of the scent.
I gave it time and those impressions faded.
I learned to love this. I feel great wearing it, that old sensation evaporated so fast as it appeared. On the contrary I find Antaeus timeless.

I hope Chanel don't give up from Antaeus because I'm realizing that some good masterpieces of other brands have disapeared from the stores or are disapearing from the stores. I don't know if it is because of regulation or if it is because of comercial success.

Whatever the reason is, is too bad because there are things I will really miss.
I want Antaeus to stay. Powerfull, luxurious, it has class and gives a good sensation.
It is timeless, it is a masterpice.

Dad jax
Dad jax

it is not every body's cup of tea...so donot give shit comments! for this one you need to be special,which most of you haters are not so be gone!

This one is a TRUE CLASSIC !

We are in a world where things sometimes go too fast. We do things today and tomorrow they eventually belong to the past and we run into something new.

That doesn't mean that something we are working now is always better then something we did before. Many times it isn't.

I can understand periquito when he states that Antaeus reminds him her grandmother wardrobe.
I can't say the same because I don't have memories of my grandmother as she died when I was 4, but I can understand the idea and I have to admit he is probably right.

I can't say I don't like Antaeus but...
My problem is I'm tired of the scent.
It is not a question of trends or fashion. There are some old scents that I never get tired of.
For me Antaeus is not perfect because it gets me tired of the smell.
It is like a piece of music that after earing it severall times we can't stand it anymore.
Can a Rolls Royce be boring? Yes it can when you want to have some fun and you're catched on luxury and pose that doesn't let you feel free.

missan

I love Antaeus, it is a very complex and to me lovely old cologne. A lot is going on and changing from top to bottom. It could be considered as some sort of a reference for others to compare against. It really is to me one of the biggest must have, even today.
By that I do not mean Antaeus is my favourite, there are others I like better and are easier to wear.

Its the Rolls Royce of fragrances becuase, its strong,elegant, masculine, dark, luxurios, virile and very sofisticaded in a old fashioned way, but it smells modern at the same time... its elegance and high class in a dark and luxurios bottle... also becuase its leather notes smells so sofisticaded... for me this is the reference of powerful and luxurious fragrances, its the epytome... you know? are you happy with the explanation king Marti?... let me know... BYE DUDE...

This is the RollsRoyce of the perfumery... PERIOD....

guest_MilesG
guest_MilesG

Antaeus is one of my all-time fragrances and a stalwart of my collection. A huge burst of Clary Sage powers out of the top-notes, then the juice fades over several hours through a woody heart and then finishing off with a brooding, unctuous accord of leather and honey. The leather/honey sticks around for many, many, many hours. By that stage it is a skin-scent only, but anyone getting close enough will almost certainly comment on how wonderful you smell.
Antaeus is one of only two of my fragrances that has provoked strangers to ask me what frag I'm wearing (the other being Jaipur Homme EDP). Antaeus should be applied discreetly and worn with confidence. I personally started wearing it when I was 17, and I consider it entirely appropriate for any young man who wants a fragrance on a completely different level to the cookie-cutter scents his friends wear (I'm looking at you, Hugo Boss, and those dreadful, cynical fragrances that you thrust upon an unsuspecting public). Likewise, an older man, successful, in control of his world, will also be able to wear Antaeus effortlessly, and to great effect. Do remember, though, that the 1980's are long-over, and apply with care. Apart from the potential to suffocate if applied to excess, Antaeus is a versatile, unique juice that demands a presence in the collection of any serious fragrance connoisseur.

Endymion

Sorry, but I don't agree with Jolly Roger.
You have to accept that some fragrances are too strong for some people. That's it accept it and don't criticize people for that.
What's more it's not that some fragrances are too strong because they are not modern!
Eau Sauvage is older than Antaeus yet not strong at all. Joop! Homme or Black XS are modern yet as strong as Antaeus.

So don't judge people for saying that a fragrance is too strong for that and think that it's because they think because it's not modern. There are modern strong and classic not strong fragrances.

And I don't think that someone who finds Antaeus too strong has to use "body milk lotion"! Just try not to think in an such extreme way, there are loads of scents between the strongess of Antaeus and the lightness of a body milk...

Note: I really like Antaeus and strong fragrances like Opium and Kouros.

Chanel need to come with classic and elegant fragrances like this.. its really a masterpiece.. and black sofistication at its best... one of the best masculines scents out there... sexy to death....

for me this is a masculine version of Chanel nro 5... i am really impressed with this... masterpiece.. elegance and sofistication in a bottle..... a Polge winner....

junior halston

I some how see comparisons with Coco original to Antaeus. The both share that deep baroque character with rose, spice, patchouli, and of course leather. Yes Coco is more floral but I feel it's base was built upon Antaeus.

To me Antaeus is Chanel's Polge at his best.

It was somewhat strange when I first smelt Antaeus, it was like an almost masculine version of Chanel No.19. There was an undeniable bitter greeness that caught my nose almost immediately which was then followed by a rich, slightly sweet woodsiness with an odd leathery note.

I guess if you're daring enough, Antaeus can be unisex, however I feel a strong sense of masculinity being portrayed here that deters me from trying this on myself.

While I disliked Chanel No.19, Antaeus is pure love for me. Perhaps it's the lavender, the delicious herbaceousness and the earthy, rich patchouli that captures me. Antaeus is for the older, sensible man in my opinion. Men around my own age seem better suited to those lively citrus scents and gutsy sweet colognes. Antaeus is essentially a man who has discovered his clasically charming side.

Antaeus doesn't strike you as sexy fragrance when you first apply, however the more it develops, the more sensual and alluring it becomes. The scent is crisp and spicy with this comforting warmth that is both magnetic and soothing.

The sillage is very 80's, strong and lasting. I do believe that part of this fragrance's success has been its high quality ingredients and its ability to last on the skin the whole day.

andrevarx
andrevarx

A powerful, masculine scent with its powerful showing on my skin 15 hours and 48 hours in my clothing is a Chanel.

This fragrance is having too much precautions for use, it is so powerful qu the overexposure may cause headache, in addition to its use for work space may be too intrusive. It is also restrictive in the age of the wearer but has an age range a bit wider than other types of woody chypre fragrance.

Its opening is almost nonexistent, and only serves to soften the fall of the excellent middle notes and base notes are characterized by the power of his "manly flowers" with a fine smell and touch to snuff mysterious chypre.

It's very manly and powerful, which can be very sensual and romantic exquisite in the field, or totally intrusive and offensive to the couple. Much depends on the taste of women. The age range can be anywhere from 25 years only on occasions at night, and from 30 for formal events during the day. It should be use more in private meetings than parties or public events. By their nature is clearly an essence of cold weather.

A true classic!!!

Antaeus was, in Greek mythology a son of Pontus(personification of the boundless sea) and Gaia (Mother Earth) and as long as any part of him touched his mother he could not be bested! On one of his many labors Herakles (Roman: Hercules) encountered him and was confounded that each time he pinned Antaeus, he sprung refreshed and robust...so after grappling for hours he lifted him off the ground and STRANGLED him! This is a small myth of sceondary importance and I'm always amazed Chanel immortalized poor Antaeus with this fragrance...

It takes a certain kind of man to "carry" Antaeus and like his namesake he is VERY earthy at the base, and his spicy, sweet heart is as robust as when he just jumped up refreshed and filled with strength from his mother, the Earth.

The myrtle, sage and corriander balance the citruses in the opening and give an earthy yet fresh feel to it. Just like the balance in the demigod of earth and sea the sweet refined florals are balanced by the airy thyme and sharp basil. The finish of the earthy patchouli and oakmoss is accented by the labdanum resin and despite the castoreums sweatiness(you'd sweat too, wrestling Herc) reminds us of his divine origins. This one starts strong, balanced throughout and finishes with a massive earthy feel (that may pin some noses). The flacon is dark, sharp and timeless. A fitting consort to Chanel No.5...

Sillage: everywhere
Longevity: next day staying power
Overall: 4.75/5

Don't get me wrong...this is a classic and wonderfully constructed scent yet spicy frags are not really my thing. If you like earthy, spicy scents that cut a wide swath and go on and on this one's for you...and this Chanel is a step above the mass market offerings of today.

andrew85

AMAZING, just amazing... incredible, elegant, class in a bottle. this, egoiste and pour monsieur are the best chanels... TRUE CHANELS... OH MY.. so sofisticaded- sexy smell....

dear antaeus you are the best fragrance in this world.. thank you for being here, i really love the way you are, the way you smell, i felt handsome when i wear you, the girls love the way i smell, thank you Antaeus, you are the best... i really love you... you are unique, so masculine, virile, strong, sofisticaded and sexy....

one of the most sexy, sophisticaded and elegant perfuem for man ever created... incredible... stunning, for a sophisticaded man, no for sports guys.. please...

ohh my god, this really good, one of the best smoky - sensual drydown. unique perfume for nigth out..... sophisticaded, elegance, masterfull.... i really like this masterpiece, this is how luca turin described it as " smoky cigar box"...... it smells like this... this and pour monseiur are one of the best from man Chanels....

missan

I really, really like this classic. It is in many ways similar to old Van Gils, maybe a tiny bit more flowery and smokey.
Both are good.

Indro
Indro

I have to edit my top 10 list & this one will definitely be in that list,a very well designed perfume,multi faceted,truly a great drydown.Sillage and longivity is excellent,lasts 9 hrs on my skin but I can only use this during winter evenings in Mumbai.Overall 9.5/10.
Cheers

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

This one is great... After 15 minutes!

Sweet but not too much, masculine, strong with sillage and longevity with a great leathery-powdery-myrtille (bleuet in french) drydown! One of the best night fragrance. But for sure sometimes this is smelling old school. I love it but won't buy it again once the bottle finished.

behzad1280
behzad1280

I can put it in just three words:
Prestige, Prestige, and then Prestige.

I really really appreciate it.

بسیار خوشبو و کلاسیک در عین حال مدرن و تازه
به معنای واقعی کلمه یک ادکلن با پرستیژ
تحسین بر انگیزه
دوام و پخش بوی بسیار خوب

absolutely stunning... incredible leather - honey smell, one of the best Chanel man fragrances out there, the others Chanels for man are simple, boring and a litlle cheap smell, but this is a real Chanel.. this and pour monsieur are really Chanels.... a trlly classic masterpiece...

andrew85

This is Chanel nro 5 for man incredible sexy, sensual, elegance in a bottle, perfect for use with a black suit.. so potent, please use this with caution.. very potent, masculine, dark smell... like a leather cigar box...

guest_Stylin
guest_Stylin

So many positive comments I would make are already here...classy, masculine, powerful.

An 80s classic with the legs to stick around. It will set you apart from all the fresh aquatic crowd that's for sure.

Just try it.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

I have the image of this fragrance as my background on my Iphone. As I check the time or answer a call I see the beautiful image of the man holding the Antaeus bottle with the double C.

It has been a while since I wore this scent (1981 formula)and felt it was time to wear it today.

It is a powerhouse of scent which gives me a boost of confidence. I am glad I have kept this in my collection after all these years.

My dear Antaeus,

What would i do without you.......
After 14 hours you're still pounding out a delicious scent. Not overwhelming, but still noticible there....

enigmatict
enigmatict

I believe the drydown is very similar to Rumba by Balenciaga. Love it! And it starts out like Avignon CdG.

hoelahoep

Ah, Chanels Greek god....sweet memories from the 80's...

As a very young boy I couldn't efford the beautiful Chanel scents. I managed to get some samples, wich i cherished a lot. Powerfull ? yes Mascuine ? yes Sophisticated? yes Seductive ? yes Potent? oh yes indeed and a tiny bit (totally) dominating......

Recently i bought a bottle to remember those bygone days. And the memories came back:
It starts with a strong and very loud opening. The opening ingredients (clary sage and myrtle) are easy to recognize. The middle note is mixing fast on my skin. Fresh flowery and masculine for sure. In the driedown i recognize patchouli, sandalwood and oakmoss.
It has great longevity and an even so great silage. And it's one of the best that Chanels offering. After all those years Anteus is not dated at all.
This one still is a great compliments drawing magnet. And yes: i got also compliments wearing anteus from young girls(i presume they got a little bit tired of all the citrussy and sweet tommy's and Gio's maybe ?)

a little warning sign is in place: do not overspray ! With this one you can clean out a full traincompartiment in seconds by you overspraying anteus.

Anteus, one of my personal top 5. A must have in your collection.If you have the balls to wear it, this is your scent...

sky76sky
sky76sky

I almost feel like I am basting myself with this herbal blast & I only put on a drop....wowzer!

Lovely & dry, stripping almost, with a peppery spice. The floral lift lightens the sunbleached wood & gently warms.

I love patchouli, leather, sage, thyme, & woody notes, so it is no suprise that it's got my full attention. But the best bit for me is the dryness....it is so, sooo dry. I'm almost imagining crunching those parched leaves in my hand.

I'm so intrigued I'm going to have to try this again tomorrow (& this is one that I really should leave to the boys...no, definitely MEN).

minimalist

...nevertheless I smell cedar cedar and cedar...as when I used my pencil-sharpener at school..love it

vertigo
vertigo

Antaeus was a Libyan giant, a son of Poseidon and Gaia. He was undeafeted when he was touching the Earth - his mother. When Hercules elevated him, Antaeus became weak as an ordinary mortal.
This dualism of a nature of this mythological character inspired the originators of the perfume. They wanted to create a fragrance that would be powerful like an antique god and delicate like a human.

The scent is woody-aromatic-leather ...
For men that keep their feet steady on the ground, but privately conceal uncontrollable fantasy and enormous sensibility. Absolutely unique!

ALEXEIFEDOROV
ALEXEIFEDOROV

I can describe this fragance with just one word: masculine. But i can add a few: classy, mysterious, sharp and dark. I bought it when i was 18 three years ago, and maybe i was too young for this scent, but now... i guess i have the right to use iy

thomkallor
thomkallor

Rich, darkly sweet, sparkling, and very different from the men's fragrances I encountered in the 80's. Masculine to the utmost. Looking back, it was far too mature for me. As others have pointed out, a powerhouse scent, requiring light application. A metal container bought in more recent times did not smell the same, though - has the formulation changed? Was the metal of the container (as opposed to the orginal glass) a factor? Very hard to come by in the States, but I will certainly add this to my wardrobe again in the near future.

Kiwichick_NZ
Kiwichick_NZ

I agree 101% with gerco!!! I love men wearing this... It shows remarkable poise and confidence in a man. Unfortunately men who have become accustomed to lathering themselves with cologne will find Antaeus overwhelming. It's a cologne that doesn't need to be hosed on guys!!! This gorgeous fragance only needs to grace your skin lightly. Out of all the mens colognes out there, this ranks in the top 3. It's a classic and one of the best from Chanel so far.

Aiona
Aiona

The first blast is quite manly. As it dried down, it changed drastically. I swear it smells much like Chanel No. 5. And I do not like Chanel No. 5. I started to get a headache, very similar to the averse reaction I have to Chanel No. 5. Looking above, I see no aldehydes, which are often implicated in headache-inducing fragrances. But surely, there is something that is similar in these two, and Antaeus is just the male-marketed version. So sad, cuz I'd heard so much about this fragrance. However, it is not something I can tolerate.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Antaeus fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Chanel Antaeus, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Antaeus by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Antaeus by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.