Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Bois des Iles Chanel for women
dislike

aldehydic
Bois des Iles Chanel for women Pictures

The smell of autumn, forest, odor of great and dark woods... Bois des Iles, or the Island Forests, was created in 1926 by Ernest Beaux, the Russian emigrant and the prime perfumer of the Chanel house. It is said that Beaux created Bois des Iles while he was rapt by Tchaikovsky's Queen of Spades, the opera inspired by the Puskin's novel about the love and hazard, and that it was his favorite creation.

Traditional masculine woody composition is offered to ladies, but could be tried by men as well. Dry and spicy freshness leads to the floral heart, the light sweetness of which undulates with dry and dark woody notes. At the end, the composition becomes warmer, more comfortable and tame, as if entering into a dark room illuminated by the fireplace flame.

The perfume concentration is richer and sweeter, while eau de toilette is quite lighter, but magnificent. The top notes are composed of aldehydes, bergamot, neroli and peach, the heart composition consists of jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, woody iris and ylang-ylang, and the base of vetiver, sandalwood, benzoin and musk.

Aldehydes Coriander Peach Bergamot Neroli Mandarin Orange

Baghari 2006

Bois des Iles Fragrance Reviews

perfectionist
perfectionist

Just got a 5ml decant today of this beauty and I love it. I was a little worried about it going to be feminine but not its masculine. I'm not a expert on note break down but it smells like a very smooth sandalwood. Very elegant and make me feel important. I will be purchasing a big bottle. Very surprised this isn't unisex because I can a only see a very strong woman wearing this or the fragrance is going to wear her. I noticed Chanel female market fragrances are either unisex or masculine. Which makes me happy as a guy.

Amor und Psyche
Amor und Psyche

Bois des Iles is a timeless masterpiece. True elegance and refined sophistication await he who wears this perfume.

A few years ago, I went to the Maldives and upon my arrival on the wooden dock, the astonishing scene of this isolated green and luxuriant island overwhelmed me. Breezes of soft wind carrying exotic scents soothed the air. On the beach, there was an uprooted coconut tree and the woody and bitter scent it exhaled, combined with those of the frangipani flowers blooming under the trees and of the fruits served nearby was absolutely mesmerizing. An unforgettable experience.
Bois des Iles brings me back there! It isn't exactly the same fragrance but the resemblance is striking.

I'm speaking of the perfume concentration. The EDT is exceptional as well but the perfume takes it to another level.

The opening is aldehydic and quite fresh with hints of bergamot, ylang-ylang and elusive neroli. It softens quickly into a warm and sweet but not sickening bouquet of peach, jasmine, rose, iris and woods. The base notes of amber, tonka beans, vetiver and benzoin then appear. The sandalwood is present the whole time and the experience of feeling the perfume change over time is amazing.

The perfume in itself is an allegory of exoticism and offers a vision, a dream of splendid and faraway islands.

Roge'
Roge'

Starts out super girly and borderline "old lady-ish" then ends somewhat unisex. Metaphorically, I went to sleep as an angel and then woke up with hooves and horns. The opening smells like aged Johnson's Baby Bedtime Lotion. As it develops, Im getting a peachy clay-like vibe glazed with a brush of vanilla with minimal spices. Adjectives such as silky and smooth immediately comes to mind. This is a straight up skin chemistry kind of fragrance. Just as complexed as the array of notes suggest. The aldehydic fancy schmancy green notes are noticeable but are unquestionably inferior to the woody amber nuances. The sandalwood is buffered into a sweet base to fortify all things woody. Just as evident, the base is bulked up with notes related to gourmand scents but Bois never exceeds the gourmand speed limit and tends to remain subtle. This one really challenges your perfume preference. No doubt, this kind of aroma is ubiquitous amongst middle aged women whom are likely the one's that will give this a perfect rating or what have you. As for the men, this could be deemed as bittersweet or more along the lines of love-hate. Interestingly enough, this fragrance has a plethora of reviews. I'm not sure if it's because of the fragrance itself or the popularity of the house....

angel6
angel6

I tried last night from a sample that darling SparkleGoth sent me a while ago and I've been saving, well it's a very beautiful sandalwood, smart and elegant, but very elusive for me maybe because is a sample and I need a little more juice to fully experience this beauty. If money was not a problem for me I certainly would have this gorgeous perfume but it's not the case. Very beautiful but don't last in my skin.

tamarababa
tamarababa

AS much as I love Egoiste, I am not a fan of this one, but weirdly everybody else find this the bomb.

gabriel.villa
gabriel.villa

Well, well, well... here we are... once again, I'm in front of a stunning beauty to review and I cannot fail. Where do I start? Perhaps by saying that Bois des Iles is, indeed, one of the most beautiful perfumes in the world, that's it. It's more than special, more than words could describe.

Imagine a famous french couturière with an unquestionable good taste. Now imagine a very talented russian perfumeur working for her, inspired by a Tchaikovsky's opera and inspired by the smell of the autumn woods in remote islands. And imagine all of that in a fragrance created in 1926. You should be getting the picture already, but as I said, Bois des Iles is so much more than words can explain...

When I first apply the fragrance, all I get is a heavy curtain of aldehydes. There are so many aldehydes in the fragrance that I have to confess, it's almost too much for my nose, because the aldehydes in here are not just sparkling and efervescent; they are almost acid, it's really sharp. But I absolutely adore it! In the beginning I can also detect some citrusy, mandarine-like feeling, and a heavy smoky sensation. As the fragrance goes on, we find it to be sweet, but dry, and very, very powdery. The flowers, specially the jasmine, take place in the heart of Bois des Iles. Also I can detect a coconutiness in the middle of the dry down, a trick played by the notes. Then I smell the vetiver, which is well put together with all the other notes; it's very Chanel like, it's nothing really agressive as in other fragrances, although I have to say it's, indeed, a little bit dirty and animalic. The resins play a very important role in the fragrance as well, and they are so delicious, they make my day so much better... opoponax, benzoin, also the famous vanilla-tonka bean combo and musk... the sandalwood, then, makes it clear now: I am the main character of the fragrance. It's all about saldalwood. That's why the fragrance is sweet, but dry, foresty, wild and smoky. It's luminous, but dark, obscure. That's not all about Bois des Iles because I repeat, it's impossible to describe that perfume with commom words, but it's pretty much it.

Coco Chanel, how can I thank you for creating this amazing fragrance? Ernest Beaux, it's said that Bois des Iles is your favorite composition and I really cannot say I don't understand why! Besides everything I said before, Bois des Iles is so classy, so sophisticated, and most importantly, so absolutely clever! It's a little smart devil in the perfume world, it's deliciously intellectual, sagacious and astute. Really, really interesting.

If you want to smell like those dark autumn forests, than look for Bois des Iles. For women, for men, for any ages and any situations, that little wicked lady invites you to magic moments and feelings that are almost enchanted. Follow her and see what happens, that's up to you.

sandrajj
sandrajj

Memories, memories...my Dad gave me a box of 4 small Chanel Perfumes when I was a highschool junior, going to Europe for the first time--Bois des Illes was the scent I chose to take along with me. No sprays here, just the glass stopper to dab on pulse points and behind my ears.
All these years later, I just opened a bottle and sprayed my wrist. Oh, I was instantly back in Florence, longeing on the steps of the Uffizi.

lisa o
lisa o

one of the few aldehydic fragrances I can love from the bottom of my heart. purr...

Eos
Eos

Bois des Iles is sandalwood elevated.
The crux of the composition is a mix of Chanel's signature hesperdic aldehydes and the depth of a strikingly natural smelling milky sandalwood note. This structure is further enhanced and fleshed out by the lush florality of ylang ylang and rose, the powdered-resinous warmth of opoponax and benzoin, and the plush softness of high quality iris. This perfume reads like a skillful riff off of sandalwood essential oil, as if every note contained within the precious liquid was purposefully examined, cataloged and then magnified or minimized to perfection in the making of Bois des Iles. The only thing a little a bit out of place is the anise tinged opening, but that fades within minutes of application.

Luckily Bois des Iles avoids the problems I have with most sandalwood themed perfumes: they are either too figgy, too coconutty or just too harshly woody (relying on an interplay of other woody notes to simulate sandalwood). There is no fig, no coconut, no harsh/blunt woodiness here. Instead sandalwood is felt in all its plush powdery-milky-ambery glory with a hint of that lovely spiced raisin note that true Mysore so often has. My Holy Grail sandalwood perfume. The EDT is beautiful but the parfum is otherworldly.

This is a sensual delight that wears rather close to the skin creating a soft halo of scent that only those within your personal space will detect.

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ After a friendly fragrantica suggestion and reading many reviews I just had to have this one! So I ordered a large ml. bottle and rolled the dice on BdI. And as suspected I was not dissapointed with yet another classic Chanel masterpiece. Some say this is what Egoiste should have been and if that is the case I now understand its loyal following. This to my nose opened with a familiar Chanel aldehyde vibe much like Cuir de Russie but with a very clean sparkling soap added. A couple years ago I could not have appreciated this for what it is being the perfect blend of sandalwood, florals, vetiver and yes I get the faint gingerbread appeal. This may be labeled for a woman but also like Coromandel fits the well groomed man. It is amazing how a nose can mature when exposed to new discoveries such as this well crafted Chanel Exclusif line. ~
Kind Regards, Platinum1
Score ~ No number rating fits this scent. Just wear it with your best gown or suit and smile inside confidant in your choice.

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

Beautiful - the woods in this scent are never overbearing. This is a lady-like perfume, very much in the Chanel style. I only wish it had better staying power on me - it disappears entirely in only a few hours. I hate to reapply, so I have yet to commit to a full bottle.

I wish that Bois des Iles could wrok for me as for many people here. It really didn't. I wanted to find a Samsara's sister or at least cousin. Maybe a far one.
Having too big expectations can affect a feeling?
I tested Boise des Iles on one side and Jersey on the other side.
I was not so curious about Jersey but it hit on my brain!
Bois des Iles instead was a little too thick and yellow babyshampooing, that it should make it close to vintage Samsara, but not so much. I think it's a very beautiful scent, very deep yet sunny, elegant and sweet in totally not candyish way. I think it's the ylang-ylang.
The wood here is very exotical, but don't expect any beachy suntan lotion smell. Not at all, luckily.
The exotical vibe comes from thick flowers and radiant creamy wood.
very beautiful, still not a bang on my head and I feel sorry for that.
On my skin it lasted a very long time and was plesant, but not wow.
I think I will test it again.

christianne1
christianne1

(Yes, this is a novel. I apologize in advance but I could not condense it.)

When I first tried Bois des Iles, I could not figure out what the fuss was all about and I was bewildered by some of the reviews that I had read. It smelled pleasant but I wasn't getting ANYTHING like some of the stuff I was reading such as it is "out of Africa" and "purrs like a large sleek jungle cat"....."as if some golden, black-spotted cheetah were sunning himself on the sandalwood branches of a great plain" and "there is something deep, rich, almost smoking in the combination of the sandalwood and resin".

Huh?

I was left kinda baffled. How was what I just sprayed on supposed to be anything like THAT? That makes even Amouage sound shy. So, I just put it in "the box" and figured I was anosmic to most of it or something and it would be one of the greats that I would never be able to appreciate like everyone else.

My friend (who has more perfumes than most department stores) said Bois des Iles was her very favorite in the whole world so I knew I had to be missing something because this sister KNOWS her perfume. So, I went digging in the box and found my sample and tried it again. Again, I get "pleasant" but where is the jungle cat sunning himself on sandalwood branches and the deep smoking resin? I assume something is horribly wrong with my nose and I am missing this African "Ambre Sultanesque" King of the Jungle. So, I chalk it up to my bad nose and put it away and give up.

I later asked my friend how I could be missing this big potent African smoldering giant and she was like what are you talking about? It isn't like that at all...she said it was light and airy and a wisp of a cloud of aldehydic sandalwood wonderfulness. I was like "it is???!!! You mean there is no big roaring lion??" SO, I go digging in the dang box again and pull it out. This time, my brain is expecting something completely different....so, I spray it on and I go about my business and let it settle and do its thang.

And as it turns out....its "thang" is about the most incredible "thang" I ever smelled. Wow. This isn't a big roaring cheetah!! This is a lamb!! Bois des Iles is the most polite, tasteful, airy.... wisp of a cloud of aldehydic sandalwood wonderfulness that I have ever smelled. It immediately became all I could think about until I got a full bottle. I literally felt like I might not live if I didn't have access to all of it that I wanted. Total obsession.

Why am I rambling so long about stuff other than what Bois des Iles smells like? Well, because I think sometimes it is important to experience a fragrance without reading any elaborate and dramatic reviews that can mold your mind in a certain direction. Just experience it with a clean slate, without knowing what to expect. Because when your brain is geared toward a big roaring fire blowing African cheetah and you get a polite little delicate but ever so lovely lamb....your mind can get a little squirrelly and you can't really even understand what you are even smelling and you are left disappointed.

So, forget the lions and the lambs. Don't think about anything. Just spray on Bois des Iles and ignore it. No spot sniffing and no cheating. Don't wear your nose out early on the initial blast because you will miss the finale. Just let it work its magic for a while. Just ignore it and go about your day. Then let yourself catch the wafts as they drift by. And if you do not smell one of the most devastatingly beautiful fragrances that has ever been created....

Start all over on another day until you do.

Because you will.

elusivek
elusivek

I wish I could get the notes that everyone else does. I tried this several times, trying to convince myself to like it but it's simply a slightly more grown up version of Johnson's baby powder. It's an elegant, long lasting baby powder, but baby powder nonetheless.

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

From where I stand, it doesn't get any better than Bois Des Iles. It's like a little whiff of heaven with each passing by my nose. Completely and utterly irresistible, from any standpoint. The slightly sharp and soapy aldehydic opening that Chanel do so well in the introduction is a reminder of what class truly feels like. As this pleasant blast of aldehydes makes its departure, some slightly fruity quality emerges, then come the florals. Every component is seamlessly intertwined, creating an easy and effortless transition between top, heart and base. There are no rough edges and not a note skips a beat. And OH! The drydown!! Every bit of the journey from the opening to this glorious base is tied in to what the final outcome will be. Sandalwood. The sparkling, dazzling, vibrant life of this fragrance is the opening act. You can't look away. All to keep your undivided attention leading up to the main event: Warm, rich and silky smooth, unadulterated sandalwood.

Dominic80
Dominic80

This is a true Chanel, slightly intellectual, powdery-powdery, almost talc alike Classic! I love it, i find it even dry on me, and, so easy to wear from a boy who is an artist and a fashion model, as i am! But all the girls who got it from me were intoxicated by it, and, started using it obsessively, after my recommendation.. or after smelling it on me, or on my clothing or sheets!
Let me tell you, so far, only 2 didn't like it, and, those were the ones i actually had clearly not shown any interest to! Now, without wanting to come out as the usual jerk, which i am so not, that this tells you something?

arzacu
arzacu

Warm, elegant, sophisticated, a masterpiece from Chanel. Lasts very much on my skin, it's powdery, suitable for evening and fall. Dark and superb. It' so well made that I can notice each one of the notes mentioned here.

Marianne Wynn
Marianne Wynn

I wish I had loved it as much as I wanted to. I adore sandalwood. This one doesn't last on me and I get more powdery than anything else. I would like to try the parfum and see if it is stronger than the edt.

gbush
gbush

Heaven in a bottle!!! I love every aspect of Bois Des Iles ... from the lively, bergamot/citrus opening to the sultry, dry down! On my skin I do not smell the 'gingerbread' that some speak of, but I do get a lovely, warm, spicy vibe. Bois Des Iles EDT lasts on my skin for a very long time ... 12 plus hours. I can not wait to one day sample the pure perfume version!

Mirabele
Mirabele

The opening is gorgeous amazing wonderful woods with bergamot and no sweetnes, i love it so much I almost stop breathing and all I can think is this is “the one”, this is how i would love my perfume to smell. there is a little bit too much something here (coriander?) for me here, what makes me think the perfume is more masculine than I would like it to be, but I could live with that. I only wish it would last longer, but the longevity of this heaven is non -existent on my skin. To smell something I have to press my nose into my wrist, but this is not the worst thing here. The heavenly top notes evaporates in a matter of minutes, and I left with sweet creamy jasmine, ylang ylang and sandalwood. This is not a bad thing, if you love jasmine, but I do not. Bois des Iles is not very complicated perfume and doesn’t change significantly from there on my skin. The dry down of vetiver and woods is lovely but again, not feminine enough for my liking.
Overall this is a great perfume, very interesting and different enough from many others. Definitely worth to try, especially if you like woody unisex fragrances and love jasmine. I wanted to love it, but there is nothing here for me. It evaporates too quickly from my skin, and I find it too masculine for my taste.

Krupp
Krupp

Another of these bull's-eye from Chanel! Lots of floral scent and a lovely, lovely maturation. First spritz send you back to the 1920s with a surprising "old" smell, well meant. 10 minutes later we are back in the present.

Not a perfume for every occasion. I have a little trouble seeing it used for general everyday use, although it can lift any overcast day up to the sun! But for some special events, weddings, garden parties, cocktail parties and the like, it's perfect.

Masculine? No, rather metrosexuel. Provides signal flicker, if it is worn by Tattoo Jack with his plastic bag filled with beer bottles. Feminine, but definitely useful for men too, if he is not afraid to try something other than the classic men's fragrances.

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

i bought the parfum version, i love the beginning notes till the drydown, it is well balanced, on a cool weather it lasts more than 8 hours on my wrist , the smell, a lot of people have commented, the sandalwood combination of ylang-ylang a tinge of amber well it just resonates with class. the only thing is, try it with the parfum version rather than the edt, i tested the edt in hot and humid country it last about an hour tops, in a cold and dry weather well at least 4 hours, with the parfum you get the combo mentioned, with the edt well, the combo is rather hidden and can be found on the first spray and putting your nose near the skin...i would recommend the parfum though...

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I sprayed this on today for the first time, and at first felt disappointed. It's a much loved perfume by many people here, and in the first half hour or more I got a fairly generic Chanel accord of jasmine and aldehydes.

But my god, the dry-down really is lovely. The famed 'ginger-bread' note is all there. And I experienced that classic moment of 'what smells so gorgeous in here, ah, it's me!'.

This does indeed have the milky quality of real sandalwood, that suede-like touch that's soft and lingering, there's a soft spicy musk which at first feels hardly there, but magically develops and strengthens over time. There's a tiny touch of soap but that doesn't dominate (definitely not as much as Cuir de Russie for example)

I think the initial sniff was was in part affected due to the fact that I had Chanel's Coromandel on my other arm, which was far too strong a dose of patchouli for me (purely subjective - I find patchouli very pervasive). So once I'd scrubbed that off (sorry Coromandel lovers!) I was able to appreciate the presence of Bois des Iles.

It's a must-have. Gorgeous.
Silage quite soft, longevity excellent

Germany
Germany

Chanel Bois de Iles , what a Beauty, it evokes feelings of walking through a forest in autumn with all the colour full leaves and this heavenly smell of sandlewwood. The woody notes come through this hazy sweetness of flowers,,,the dry down of this fragrance is the best of all with its warm sweet woodsy layers and vanilla. I love the slightly medical edge , I think the coriander and oponax are to thank for that , its a Fragrance that would work for both men and women, it has two sides to it , classy feminine warmth and masculine strength. I need to make room on my top shelf for this classic beauty by Ernest Beaux .

Update; Bois de Iles became one of my favorite fragrances. I wear it all the time. It's perfect for every occasion, its classy , fresh, soapy aldehyde, woody warm and although it wears soft and subtle and doesn't fill a room , it lingers for hours and you get these clean ,woodsy, fresh wafts throughout the day.

Kain
Kain

When you take a look at note breakdown, there are lots of notes in this fragrance but to be honest with you, the scent isn't complicated or complex at all!
The opening is a semi fresh floral and spicy scent with some sweetness in the background.
The spices are not that strong and I'm quite sure it's not cinnamon!
The sweetness is very smooth and almost creamy with touch of white and bright floral notes!
It's OK and pleasant but there is nothing special about it.
In the dry down. the spices become weaker and you will get a smooth and light soapy vibe with some florals and some sweetness in the background.
That's it! the scent will not change on your skin that much and also disappears from skin very quickly!
Projection is soft and longevity is weak on my skin! I got around 3-4 hours and it's not that great!
I don't know why people compare this fragrance to "Egoiste" because I can't see any similarities here!
I had "Chanel Egoiste" for a long time and I know how exactly does it smell like and I'm sure they don't smell the same at all!!
Chanel Egoiste has a very sharp and strong spicy cinnamon with lots of woods at the start but this one doesn't have cinnamon and woods and it's much weaker against "Egoiste".
Also the floral note in "Egoiste" clearly is rose which has a masculine aroma, but in this fragrance the floral notes are very light and bright with mostly feminine vibe!
Also "Egoiste" doesn't smell soapy!
What's wrong with you guys?!!!!!
All and all, it's a fragrance right in the middle!
Nothing really bad about it but nothing too exciting or special about it too!
You can easily pass this fragrance!

یه عطر زنانه خیلی معمولی که برعکس این همه رایحه جور واجور که براش لیست کردن اصلا بوی پیچیده و خاصی نداره
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر بوی نیمه شادابی هست که بوی نسبتا تند و تیز ادویه ای و فلفلی مانندی داره و کمی هم رایحه گلها و کمی هم رایحه های شیرین میشه در کنارش حس کرد
رایحه شیرین حسی خیلی ملایم و خامه ای و کِرِمی مانند داره و رایحه گلها هم حس گلهای سفید رو به آدم میدن و بویی مطبوع و البته زنانه دارن
بوی تند و ادویه ای هم خیلی قوی نیست ولی به راحتی حس میشه
به مرور بوی تند و ادویه ای خیلی ضعیف میشه و شما میتونین یه بوی ملایم صابونی حس کنین که کمی هم رایحه گلها و کمی هم رایحه های شیرین در کنارش حس میشه
بوی عطر همینه و تغییری نمیکنه
پخش بوی این عطر ملایمه و ماندگاری کمی روی پوست داره. در حد 3-4 ساعت که اصلا خوب نیست
در ضمن این عطرُ با اگوئیست مردانه مقایسه میکنن که به نظر من حتی یه سر سوزن هم شبیه نیستن
یه مشابهت در نظر گرفتن کاملا اشتباه
شنل اگوئیست مردانه صد برابر این کیفیت ساخت و ماندگاری بهتر و البته بوی خیلی عالی تری داره
این عطرُ ندارین یا تست نکردین مطمئن باشین هیچ چیزی رو از دست ندادین

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

A citrusy opening with lots of aldehydes and touches of cinnamon.

I can feel a beautiful iris with ylang ylang, bringing luxury and warmness to my skin. The best part is the opening. I wish it would last more...

After some tests, now i can say the dry is well done - where sandalwood appears more and more, with a perfect quality of its ingredient.

Although, i found the dry too simple in complexity and i think the other notes would be better if they were interacting more with the others. What a pity.

I think it is chic, clean, elegant but i would use it on few situations like luxurious parties, weddings, ceremonies and other formal acts or events...

I think i would be tired, bored or annoyed by wearing many many times.

ashandasphodel
ashandasphodel

One of the reasons why Chanel is my favorite house. The sandalwood/amber combo here is different from the rest, taking it to a new level. The musk and floral notes round it out perfectly. I don't detect any fruity notes at all. Very womanly without being too sweet, which I really dislike in a fragrance. Warm, smooth, and inviting. Reminiscent of early autumn. I love it.

divan.badenhorstbotha
divan.badenhorstbotha

Sandalwood perfection!!!!!!! Very smooth and seemlis construction. A must have.

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

For a long time I have had Diptyque Tam Dao on my perfume wish list. As soon as I opened a bottle of Bois des Iles, Tam Dao was forgotten immediately and Bois des Iles has become one of my absolute favorite fragrances. While I still love Tam Dao's rich sandalwood exoticism, Bois des Iles is simply both ethereal and sublime. For me sandalwood is center stage with a floating aura of floral and amber/vanilla notes. There is an air of mystery, a quality of strength and delicacy...at the same time! Bois des Iles is a completely timeless fragrance that is truly perfume perfection.
(Parfum tested.)

ranchorita
ranchorita

The furs and hats have been checked. The audience is settling in, all their finery on display as the orchestra tunes in the pit down front. I sink into my velvet seat and look around at the other opera-goers in their silk and twinkling diamonds. There is a mingling of perfumes, like the cacophonous tuning of the disparate but very fine instruments tuning below, and all wielded by the hands of expert musicians. One fragrance stands out from array of perfume that greets my nose: Bois des Iles. Which great beauty or grand lady nearby is wearing this lovely fragrance? I cannot tell, and I do not care. I am only glad someone is wearing this. I sit back and enjoy taking in the spectacle, accompanied by the most lovely fragrance.

CDGfan
CDGfan

It smells EXACTLY like this Indian sandalwood masala incense I use (Balaji signature) , a woody, clean somewhat soapy sandalwood. A must have for sandalwood lovers! 9/10

aber19
aber19

I went to the Chanel Boutique and tried this fragrance. I was quoted $350.00 for a 200ml eau de toilette on the 6 April 2013.

I am very disappointed with this fragrance, it was pretty enough but the silage was very poor. It was a cross of Chanel 5 and Coco for me.

It lasted only 1hr on the skin. I had to smell the perfume lingering into my skin another hour later. I had it on a piece of Chanel paper I could smell it five hours later but it was very soft. I would not buy this fragrance because it was not good value for money.

Kamicha
Kamicha

I see much more in common with Bois des Iles and classic no 5 than with Egoiste - the same thick floral aldehydic sheen, heavy soapy musc/light amber bed, dense old school floral bouquet led by ylang ylang. While the rich animalic base joins to sandalwood in no 5, in BdI the sandalwood gets accompanied with a pinch of fresh spices. Five is much thicker, richer and rather sweet, BdI leans slightly more to unisex side with more lightweight core, and fresher approach. Both are powdery, BdI slightly less so. Perhaps the many vague scent memories from the past in this thread are due to this rather obvious connection to five.

Just can't avoid the thought that BdI is a very calculated production for women who think no five is just too much - but want the signature Chanel style fragrance.

I'm not personally drawn to this genre. I guess that I'm slightly hypersensitive to both this type of aldehydes and musc, they tend to cloud the whole experience of the scent when used with heavy hand like in BdI. There is nothing too "woody" or "foresty" to my nose in BdI, it's just a "perfume-like" perfume, very recognizable Chanel style, with explosion of floral, soapy aldehydes and a load of soapy musc.

For my nose the dense and rich base of no 5 is has better balance with the aldehyde cloud - in BdI it feels an overkill, enhanced with that soapy musc in all the wrong ways. I guess that many people are also (partially) anosmic to one or both of these components, so I don't really wonder that there are very different experiences of this fragrance. Just don't overspray it, it's very potent to some noses! I might be personally slightly anosmic to some aromachemicals used to mimic sandalwood - the woodiness in BdI is detectable but fleeting to my nose. Can't see anything groundbreaking or masterful in this, just quintessential Chanel brush strokes recycled to please the contemporary consumer.

But definitely... ...if you are drawn to five, but think it's slightly overwhelming, perhaps too sweet/animalic - try Bois des Iles.

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Probably modern Bois des Iles has nothing to do with Beaux´s original creation since indian sandalwood is forbiden, but its stil magnificent.

Polge cant use real sandalwood but he managed to recreate some of its beautiful facets, the creaminess, the woodiness, the slight incense smell and a very sofisticated gourmand aura. And to make it all just perfect ther´s the classic Chanel touch al over the place, aldehydes, jasmin, ylang, roses and iris are responsable for the fresh and cool abstract flower smell, that lurks in the back ground just to remind you that this is N5 cousin.

Hands down the best sandalwood fragrance in production

aveilhe
aveilhe

Bois des Iles parfum: she is the queen of sandalwood perfumes. She is utterly incomparable. Breathtakingly beautiful.

Sandalwood has always been one of my most loved perfume notes. As a girl, I wore Crabtree & Evelyn's Sandalwood cologne. It made me dream of faraway, exotic locales: hanging gardens, sacred temples, stolen kisses from a mysterious prince. Since then, I have been obsessed with this soft, creamy, enveloping note -- hunting down every perfume I can find with a dominant sandalwood aroma.

Chanel's 1926 rendition is nothing short of perfect. This is a traditional sandalwood perfume: one that amplifies and highlights sandalwood's nuances. Rather than simply using sandalwood as a backdrop for other notes, Bois des Iles presents sandalwood as a single, rich note. Of course, this is a clever trompe l'oeil effect -- Bois des Iles has numerous notes: each one part of a complex accord that creates a masterful overall sandalwood experience.

Bois des Iles starts off with a bright burst of citrus and aldehydes, but quickly settles into an enveloping, sweet-ambery sandalwood fragrance. Heady ylang-ylang, along with syrupy tonka, benzoin, and vanilla bring out sandalwood's natural sweetness. Musk, orris, and oppoponax emphasize sandalwood's powdery, ethereal softness.

In parfum form, the dry-down is slow and sensual. It remains relatively linear (with the exception of the aldehyde top note, which dissipates quickly). The longer Bois des Iles is on the skin, the softer and creamier it becomes. Sillage and longevity are phenomenal.

Bois des Iles is a special perfume -- it feels sacred, mystical. Despite this sacred quality, it is a very versatile and easy-to-wear fragrance: good for day or night, special occasions or everyday activities (if you're like me -- you will want to wear it all the time!).

If you adore sandalwood, this is a must-own!!

dbrii24
dbrii24

Oh wow... Bois Des Iles where have you been all my life?! This review is long over due. I ordered a sample of this and 22, and I just knew that 22 and I would get along greatly. That didn't happen. Instead I fell head over hills for Bois De Iles and all of it's seamless perfection. I bought a fb immediately and it has become one of my top 5 fragrances. It's such a beautiful sandalwood fragrance; a tempting floral fragrance that is mildly sweetened with light vanilla. Vanilla is NOT prominent here whatsoever, but it quietly peaks through in the background. It's actually hard to decipher each note in Bois Des Iles; each of the notes are blended together so effortlessly. It's practically a work of art. A+ Chanel!

mluckyg
mluckyg

I think because I tried smelling strong sandalwood essential oil on my skin a week before, this EDT perfume smells very light sandalwood and light flowers and light ylang ylang.
Only last about an hour on my skin.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Finally got to sample Les Exclusifs at Holt Renfrew. Wow - what a high to try these! I understand the hype about Bois Des Iles. Immediately I smelled the aldehydes and gentle citrus then quickly followed by ylang-ylang and jasmine. The two flowers are so strong to my nose that I cannot smell any iris or rose. The amber and woods insinuate slightly in perfect balance with the flowers so as not to overpower. As it dries down, the aldehydes fade away and leave the flowers to rule my nose which happily sniff away. Unfortunately, I love the opening more than the drydown as it turns too sharp for me. Prefer 31 Rue Cambon and Cuir de Russie or No.22 but wouldn't turn Bois des Iles if gifted.

One spray on me:
Sillage: about a foot
Longevity:4-6 hours
Price: Holt Renfrew 75ml for C$145

Update May 4,2013: went on another trek downtown and sniffed between Coromandel, Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles. The latter won but hubby is not fond of it. Too bad - I'll have to wear during the day rather than those on amorous nights!

amelie
amelie

All I got from it was vetyver with hint of Tonka Bean...so strange, notes that I adore, like coriander, benzoin, peach, aldehydes...just couldn't catch that magic hidden in Bois des Iles.
Had both on my wrists, Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie...Bois DI just didn't work with my chemistry ;( Def Cuir de Russie.

emily7
emily7

Unrivaled beauty which doesn't ask for comparison or ideal.
Absolutely inimitable, almost indescribable in its ethereal beauty.
To me, this is the smell of the fairy tale forest hiding a sugar-sparkling gingerbread cottage that lured Hansel and Gretel into a trap.
Irresistible smell of temptation...

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

This is so unusual, not a common concoction at all.....it makes your mind travel immediately to some mysterious place with water, forest, with amber; it has a consciousness elevating quality yet remains cool.......UNFORGETTABLE experience for me - smooth, wonderful, no high notes but very well made. I bought it immediately. I want to keep a bottle till the day I die. LOVE IT THAT MUCH. Get it.

perfumebox
perfumebox

Bois des Iles is my current favorite of the Les Exclusifs line and I just purchased the huge bottle. I just wish it was as long-lasting on the skin as Coromandel is.

The EDT can start off quite harsh and pungent at the opening (as with many Chanels), but as it wears off and the fragrance blooms, it becomes absolutely exquisite; creamy-tart woods with the kick of spices which never quite tips over into sweetness.

I love many sandalwood fragrances, and this accord is at the core of Bois des Iles, without taking over the entire scent. The fragrance manages to be both spicy-rich and fresh-smelling at the same time. Despite that "gingerbread" feel that people talk about, this is not an oriental or sweet scent at all. There's a crispness to it mixed in with clean earthiness that's hard to describe, and it would work perfectly on a man as well.

Egoiste has a clear resemblance to it, sharing that aldehydic woody-spiciness, but Bois des Iles is softer and quieter in the dry-down.

wendyyparty
wendyyparty

Just got a 20ml decant of this today...

OMG! I love it!

Chanel "Bois des Iles" just wordlessly, amazingly, moves me like no other frags ever did before. I remember smelling it when I was a child but never know what it was. "Pure beauty" one of my top favorite fragrance for sure!

Thank you Cath for sharing this gorgeous fragrance with me.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is simply divine. I was so amazed when I sprayed on Bois des Iles liberally yesterday that I was overwhelmed and had to sit down just to take it all in. I don't think I have ever had a perfume hit me with such a "wow" factor and definitely not a Chanel. I am not a person who loves the Chanel mainstays like No. 5, but this scent is so different.

It was love at first topnote sniff, even more love through heartnotes and drydown. This gorgeous scent has everything I love, delicious sandalwood, a bit of amber, gorgeous florals with iris, rose, a pinch of citrus and peach and a big ember of vanilla warming everything and bringing all the notes together into a glorious whole. This is so well balanced, just a perfect construction. Bois des Iles is a beautiful wooden cottage with flowers blooming outside on a perfect warm day in an enchanted forest. I thought L'Heure Bleue was perfection, but this scent may be even more perfect.

I am adding to my post on continuing to wear this amazing scent. Ernest Beaux is now at the top of my list as the greatest perfumer ever. Every time I smell one of his amazing scents I am more overwhelmed by the pure beauty of his creaations than the last time I smelled it. Today this smells like the Garden of the Villa Borghese in Rome on a fall day. For those of you who know it, this "garden" is more of a politely pruned forest, it is more trees than flowers and it is just beautiful. Such a gorgeous retreat in the middle of a busy city. I so wish I were there today wearing this beautiful scent. The sandalwood and amber so beautiful in this scent and so perfectly balanced. It's like a symphony. Monsieur Beaux you left a legacy of great beauty to the world. Merci beaucoup.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

A rather rough opening before what must be one of the very most gorgeous sandalwood fragrances that has ever existed. Exceptionally smooth.

Tusnelda
Tusnelda

Will you believe it - bought it six years ago in the Rue de Cambon version. Never quite made it through the topnotes and ended up giving an almost full 100 ml bottle to my aunt.
Woke up one morning about two years ago suffering from badly delayed withdrawal symptoms and knew I had to get a bottle. Fortunately a friend was going travelling and could procure one for me in San Francisco. I now own a 75 ml bottle of Les Exclusifs and I treasure it. So apparently it took me four years to fully appreciate this.
Note to self: must wait at least four years before passing on "dislikes"...

aschiffm
aschiffm

starts off with the classic Chanel aldehydes and dust (which i always detest), and then in typical Chanel fashion soon turns to something more bearable- a comforting powdery peachy sandalwood and a teeny dash of spice. it's classy and a little old-fashioned but rather pleasant once it gets past the initial toilet water stage. i definitely dont get "dark woods" from this, its by contrast very light fresh and feminine to me.

jgirgar
jgirgar

Bdi is a lovely fragrance with a nice heft of vanilla powder. On the fence of deciding if this is masculine enough for me to wear. Give Creed Vanisia a try on opposite wrists to see if you get the comparison and go from there. JG 033012

Update: I really adore this well crafted fragrance and I can definitely see how this is an upgrade from Egoiste (black cap). Unique and sophisticated for sure. Jason G 042113

HazelMae
HazelMae

One reason that the idea of “perfume experts” writing guides makes certain people so uneasy is that nobody likes the idea of having their tastes dictated to them. People don’t like to feel ordinary or transparent, and when they at a certain level of appreciating art or culture, they have a need to feel that their particular tastes are more elevated or discerning than average.

Perfume makes this so much simpler for me. If I like something because a perfume authority pronounced it good, who the hell cares? It gave me a totally licit and freely available pleasure. I always need more of these. My main interest is finding more substances that will do this for me, not experiencing introspection over whether this is the right path to developing taste.

I never got Chanel No. 5, maybe because it was almost a cliché or trope of a fragrance, totally determined by culture. I had no innate inclinations to anything aldehydic. From an early age I had associations with the scent which were not particularly pleasurable. But of course, I want to like it, because I want to enjoy things that are good.

Bois des Îles ended up being the bridge for me to begin to appreciate No. 5. It’s a complex fragrance that has elements I am already conditioned to love such as woods and warmth – sandalwood with a soft, chalky drydown. It is recognizably “Chanel”, a signature which is has to do with aldehydes and complexity. Because it’s likeable it makes me associate with the good aspects of Chanel (crisp black and white things) and not the tacky aspect (strings and strings of fake gold bling.)

In spite of Chanel being the producer of many overpriced pieces of dubious value; the perfumes are mostly great, and the Les Exclusifs are a shockingly good value. I wish I had purchased the vat-sized unit because this perfume is meant to be worn copiously and frequently.

Angelique11
Angelique11

While walking through an enchanted, rich resin filled rain forest, imagining fairies dancing in their little circles, you catch the aroma of gingerbread and slightly spiced peach pie baking. You are drawn in by the aroma and make your way through the many colorful flowers and fresh roots, until you come upon a little wooden cottage that fits comfortably within a large tree. This quickly becomes your own personal hideaway that you will no doubt remember to visit many times.

Bois Des Iles still keeps that perfect sandalwood aroma that has for the most part left the scene along with Indian sandalwood. From the very beginning the sandalwood presents itself to perfection along with just the right amount of aldehydes, enough to enhance and balance it, but not too much as to shock the senses.

This fragrance, created more than eighty years ago still fascinates with the ability to work backwards. When smelling the sandalwood at first spray, one might get the idea that it’s a linear fragrance...not so. What would ordinarily be considered top notes do not make the scene until later in the dance.

It’s said that it has a definite gingerbread note and I would agree, however, I have never been fond of the smell of gingerbread cooking until I smelled BDI. It’s the same note, but yet it’s not quite so gourmand sweet. This beauty lasts all day and into the night. It’s strong but not so over whelming as to be offensive. Fall would be the perfect time to wear it, but I wear it anytime, best in the evening.

iivanita
iivanita

this EDT lasted 12 hours on me...did not won me over at first but this is definately strong scent...how is then the Parfum strong?...what stayed from it is iris and amber and musk...but still its remarkable for EDT!

tigerhearted
tigerhearted

Ahhh...Bois des Iles is like a breath of fresh early summer air, very welcome in the middle of our blah gray autumn here.

Out on the hiking trail in the summertime, early afternoon, under the oak trees, that smooth woodiness of tree bark, that warm golden gentleness of the sunshine through the leaves, that mild rich earthiness as you unsettle the earth beneath your boots, the sweet mellow grassiness of the breeze through the goldening wild grasses and wildflowers of the meadow just beyond...

So heavenly.

This is the current EDT I'm sampling, for those curious to know.

Tovah
Tovah

I hoard a tiny bottle of Bois des Iles parfum and I don't know what I'll do when it turns. I'm afraid to wear it, because I don't want to expose it to air. I love to just sniff its box.

The first time I smelled Bois des Iles, I started crying. It was like a forgotten memory, or the fulfillment of something I always longed for. Who can really explain these things? All I know is that it is the most exquisite, beautiful, evocative thing I've ever smelled, and not having it would be like losing a limb.

Aldehydes, sandalwood and iris on a sweet fruity oriental base. Resinous undertones, dark woods, dry/sweet juxtapositions. Not much to say about such an imponent fragrance but, if you ever wondered how a masterpiece smells like, you have to try this. Men wearing Egoiste on a regular basis may decide to upgrade to Bois Des Iles pretty soon.

One of the 100 best fragrances of all times.

Rating: 9.5/10

JToronto
JToronto

So many good comments here. I agree, this is a polite, elegant, slightly old-fashioned but very addictive scent. I detest Chanel No.5, but am a fan of Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie and No.19. I like Coromandel too but have never owned it. Of this selection, B.d.I is my favourite for everyday, quiet and appropriate in all settings. When I wear it, I feel like I have a secret.

Bab
Bab

This Chanel is on my least favorite list along with Chance. Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't incredible juices in their own right. Bois des iles to me, is very old school and I'm just not a big neroli/peach fan which is what lingers in my nose for the longest time. Not that it isn't feminine or pretty, but in a very old school way. Rather buttery vetiver ending which is what gives it points imo.
I imagine what women smelled like in the 1920's and this is it.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Bois de Iles is warm, fuzzy, woody oriental with an opening splash of Chanel aldehydes. The Guide stated that Bois de Iles was like the brunette sister of No.5, and I totally agree: it has the same deep murky fuzzy wood notes but Bois de Iles is lighter, perhaps a little more laid back. I would even say Bois de Iles was like the brunette little sister, and is a better "fresher" version of No. 5 than Eau Premiere (which was ash on my skin). Perfect for those early fall days when you want something a little deeper but not too strong, a nice light blazer rather than a heavy peacoat.

Would I buy Bois de Iles? Someday, but it's low on my priority list. Inez by BPAL is pretty similar, like a scent cousin, and significantly cheaper though it comes in only 5ml bottles. If you like Bois de Iles but don't want to spend $110, Inez is a fine substitute; likewise if you like Inez and want more than 5ml, Bois de Iles is where to go. When I finally run out of my bottle of Inez I'll buy Bois de Iles, but not till then.

Georgiasmells
Georgiasmells

I just got this today. I've been chasing it around for years and I am so pleased. It's a beautiful, warm scent. It's classy and simply stunning. I tend to love most chanel, though. For the price, 110 us, I found it quite reasonable. The bottle comes with a cool magnet closure, in a pedestal box in a black, drawstring Chanel bag. To top off how beautiful the scent is.

Sandalwood, forest and slight spice wrapped in the very distinct Chanel notes. Lovely I'm thrilled

Scarlette
Scarlette

Fur coats, butter soft leather, Methuselah Cristal out of Waterford flutes....first class all the way. Amazing.

I need it to be twice as strong!! But I guess I can use a LOT more. I wish they had a body cream too! I love it!

The ultimate in luxurious comfort and warmth.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!

annamae
annamae

Bois des Iles really lasts all day for me. I have several versions of this, and the vintage parfum is the best. It is just a beautiful fragrance that reminds me of a sunset on a tropical beach. It is class and luxury combined into one.

greydove
greydove

This IS the smell of the wardrobe in "The Lion The Witch and The Wardobe"! I can even sense the musty fur coats that Lucy rubbed her cheek against as she walked further into the closet!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Bois des Iles just didn't do it for me, and I think it must be the aldehydes because it made me quite nauseous. I adore Coromandel, Sycomore, Cuir de Russie and No 19 and while I can admire the Chanel quality in this perfume, there was just this odd note which jarred. I note in someone else's review BDI had a similarity to Samsara - I wonder if she hit the nail on the head because Samsara and I are sworn enemies. Nevertheless I am glad to have tried a decant, but will pass it on to a deserving friend.

I love CHANEL's classic perfumes. As much as I like Bois des Iles, I have to say that it shares too much of a similarity with No.5 and No.22 for me to also purchase this one. It is a very classy, somewhat old fashioned, powdery, not-too-sweet fragrance. Because I am so used to the other two perfumes, this smelled like watery versions of them. So perhaps this could be an option for someone who thinks Nos. 5 & 22 are too heavy but who would like to wear a high-quality aldehyde. It's still a very characteristically CHANEL perfume.

shenanigans
shenanigans

To die for. My absolute favorite. It was the very first fragrance I ever tried that I fell in love with immediately. It is such a comforting, cozy, classic fragrance. It makes me feel better just to wear it. Worth every penny (although I wish it didn't require quite so many pennies to own).

ladyinvisible
ladyinvisible

The first time I smelled it, I thought it smelled really old fashioned... from another time and era that I didn't belong. Anyway, I still asked for a sample, and a few days later, gave it another spritz. I couldn't understand what the fuss was about. I smell a lot of powder, flowers, and a comforting sandalwood, a warm and very-close-to-the-skin intimate scent that might belong on an older woman. It still did not appeal to me. Funny thing is, like Doc Elly (below), I kept reaching for it every few days because I was craving something in it. What it is, I cannot place. The powder repels me, but something about it attracts me. Who knows, when I finish my sample, I might actually get a bottle, though it was definitely not love at first sniff.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I'll be honest. I have a 1.5 mL sample of this, that I've tested several times, and I don't love it.

I thought I was doomed with this one, for sure. Woody autumn forest oriental with lots of sandalwood? Usually this would spell love for me, but this wears curiously flat on my skin every time I've tried it. Chanel-aldehyde opening, a murky-sweet wood, that just kind of fades out. There's not much about this that's rich and deep, but quite the opposite, there is something almost shreikish about it.

Actually I'm glad I don't love it because it will save my wallet a big wad of cash.

I'm glad everyone else loves it so much, though.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. A touch of aldehyde, then velvety lilac and sandalwood prevail all the way to the finish.

Accented with a wisp of peachy rose in the heart which leads into a warm, powdery wood. Yet this feels a little soapy, oily and tactile like a balmy, heartfelt hug from a classy woman who doesn't normally show physical displays of public affection--only doing it when she is really compelled to.

Feminine with dry notes that are traditionally masculine, yet harmonized with resins in a way that conveys warm, womanly independence.

mediterranean
mediterranean

If I had to describe this one for someone who had never smelt it I would say that it is a mixture between Chamade-Guerlain and Chanel n5. It starts with the alhelydes and finishes more Chamade like. There is something intriguing here that makes you willing to investigate it more deeply ,something pungent that comes into scene and quickly disappears only to turn up a bit later.When you smell it on others it makes you get closer to find out what it is.
Overall it is elegant like a time long gone. I can perfectly picture Coco Chanel getting out of a Beige Rolls Roice smoking a cigarette wearing Bois des lles,one of her famous black and white suits and her pearls.
I loved it the moment I smelt it for the first time.

Angel10
Angel10

Bois des Iles is timeless & beautiful. I remember this smell from childhood, but cannot remember who wore it. It is a smell of all things soft & luxurious & elegant & plush. Very unobtrusive & comforting. Well mannered.
A great one when you just cannot decide, as you just cannot go wrong. Will always be in my collection. Its one of those, like many Chanel frags, that reeks of class, yet nobody wears it. I love that.

Cylob
Cylob

When I found out there were 12 more Chanel fragrances to be found at the boutique, I rushed myself to the Chanel boutique here in town to get me one.

The saleslady sprayed a few cards for me: No18, Eau de Cologne, 28 la Pausa and Bois des Iles. I didn't like any of the first three, but Bois des Iles caught my attention right away.

Went home, sniffing all the cards and was convinced Bois des Iles was the one. Got back to the store the next day after reading some of the reviews on this site and was really eager to try Coromandel as well. Asked for a spray on each hand so I could pick either Bois des Iles or Coromandel.

Went for a walk around the Vondelpark here in Amsterdam which is close to the boutique and knew right away that Coromandel was the one. I haven't smelled anything like it since I first tried Antaeus or Egoiste: I knew I found my new signature scent in Coromandel.

I did like Bois des Iles as well so I returned to the store again two weeks later. This time I wanted to try Sycomore as well and to cut a long story short: I went home with a bottle of Sycomore.

I'll give Bois des Iles another shot this autumn, as it makes the perfect autumn fragrance. The problem that I had with Bois des Iles is the opening, which smelled very "soap-like" on my skin. After 15 minutes or so Bois des Iles gets darker and warmer and from that moment on, I really love the fragrance. It's as comforting as Coromandel is after the opening.

Edit: a few tries later and I love the opening now... It reminds me of some flowery perfume my mother used. Warps me back in time. Lovely! After that it's heavenly. Can't wait to get the full bottle this autumn...

Edit [sept.2011]:

Bought a big bottle a few weeks ago and it's my second most used and loved frag now after Coromandel. From opening to the last whiff this is such an awesome fragrance. It changes all day and it's different on each wearing.

The aldehydes from the opening make me high. And the rest of the notes take me further into heaven...
This is a true work of art!

Lady Love
Lady Love

Bois des Iles is a beautiful incensey sandalwood scent, with floral hints in the background. Very Complex, elegant and timeless, an absolute Masterpiece!

If you smell closely, you can notice may be certain similarities between this scent and Samsara.

I absolutely adore Bois des Iles. It's a bit powdery sweet and woody.

This is for the EDT that stay close to the skin and last!

adele l
adele l

Very subtle aldehydes! Doesn't have the soapy, old-fashioned talcum powder accord which plagues many classic perfumes (on my skin anyway)..clean but not jarring, feminine but not overstuffed with flowers nor too sweet, BdI is a beautifully balanced composition. Wears very close to the skin; the iris and sandalwood play into the symphony of notes ( I love you Earnest Beaux). Absolute class in a bottle!

oona noir
oona noir

This scent (edt) almost demands cashmere. It doesn't smell a thing like Joy, but it is so sublimely beautiful, sensual and wealthy smelling that it reminds me of that scent. I love them both.

Bois Des Iles reminds me of dressing up and crunching through the snow to see Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, to the point where I'm not sure I will be able to wear it any other time of year. But I love it so much that I'm going to try. An absolutely unforgettable fragrance!

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

Trax..Thank you for this beauty. LOVE IT. Another bottle worthy for me. I love the forest with warmth feel to this but I also get a very clean musk like a body shop musk, but of course expensive. Very lovely.

Sassy1
Sassy1

Very classic...a lovely soapy woody floral that wraps you up in it's plushness. It is similar to No 22 but nowhere near as sweet or claustrophobic.

Out of the hundreds of perfumes I've smelled, this is my top choice. I'd wear it every day if I could.

Only problem is the price...since it's $100 a bottle on Chanel's website (and that's for the EDT!)) it's way out of my price range for a daily signature scent. (Not to mention the scandelous pirates on Ebay asking $125-350 for the same thing. Shame on you!)

So, I'll keep getting spritzed at the department store and hoping to win the lotto so I can smell of Bois Des Iles forever.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Tried it in Selfridges and thought "WOW" this is my signature CHANEL scent until I found out about the ridiculous price tag of £150 plus for 200ml is a little bit "way over" my budget.

I thought it was very similar to "Egoiste" yet a bit more sensual and floral.

A lovely fragrance that I'd be happily buy in a max. 100ml bottled version.

CHANEL style and classic!

Parisienne glamour galore for male or female!

WARM, RICH, SENSUAL, SOPHISTICATED!!

The Bois des Iles I am reviewing is from the Les Exclusifs line in the EDT concentration.

In every article I've read on this particular fragrance, Bois des Iles is hailed as being the first woody fragrance ever created for women. While I do agree that Bois des Iles has some woodsy qualities, I'm more swayed into placing it into a floral category. A floral woody musk tends to be more true to describing the scent itself.

Bois des Iles opens like a classic Chanel fragrance, soft aldehydes and sparkling, clean soap. For a while it smelt like a cross between Chanel No.5 EDT and Allure EDP. However, once settled on the skin, Bois des Iles becomes quite buttery and 'golden'.

This fragrance smells expensive and unusual, despite its rather predictable composition. I honestly could not detect any hint of the peach or bergamot in the opening, so on my skin the florals tend to dominate.

The heart consists of oily florals that smell rather like a floral-scented lotion on the skin, rather than a perfume. This interesting quality had me sniffing my wrists for hours trying to determine why the scent felt so buttery and soft.

The rich, buttery florals do not dissipate from the skin throughout the whole composition. Even with the arrival of the sandalwood, vetiver, benzoin and musk, Bois des Iles has a very distinguishable smoothness.

I do believe that Bois des Iles is a bit of an acquired taste. While I enjoyed wearing this fragrance and revelled in its amazing lasting strength, ultimately this fragrance just wasn't me. I found Bois des Iles to be a fragrance better suited to a pretty, rather conservative and tame young lady which is far from my wild self.

libertybelle
libertybelle

A pretty floral but the EDT didn't even seem to last a half hour on my skin (even with generous spritzing) so I couldn't properly evaluate the fragrance! I need to try the pure parfum to get an accurate response and suggest others do too.

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

(Vintage) Parfum
I am fortunate to have this fabulous fragrance in the parfum concentration circa mid to late Twentieth century, recently un-boxed and opened for this review.
The Blending of elements in this legendary perfume border on perfection, I believe the genius of Ernest Beaux is demonstrated here in it's most absolute and unrestrained glory.
From start to finish I am mesmerized by Grasse Neroli & Jasmine, Damask Rose absolute, ( Bulg. or Ottoman ) Iris and a warm spicey Gingerbread accord that lasts for hours followed by a protracted drydown of the most exquisite Florentine Orris, ( Iris root ) Mysorean Sandalwood, rare exotic woods and now obsolete Nitro musks.
Alas, perfumery of this calibre will never be recreated again due to the un-availability of rare tinctures and precious aromatic compounds.
I hope to sample the more modern eau de toilette formulation soon, the intrigue is becoming quite urgent now.
Without a doubt, one of the most beautiful vintage extracts in my collection.
Merci Monsieur Beaux.............

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I just don't "get" Chanel. From time to time I feel compelled to try one Chanel or another just because everyone else regards them as practically sacred, so last night I put on a sample of Bois des Iles. The opening was so harsh that I almost scrubbed it, but didn't because I thought I could detect something promising under the obnoxious mix of aldehydes and rough sandalwood. After a half hour it settled into something more wearable, still mostly a very dry aldehyde-sandalwood mix that strongly evoked light gray swirly patterns like lichens, but as the hours passed I experienced some of the floral aspect of the scent as well as the famous "gingerbread" note. None of these phases really appealed to me. Maybe it was because I used the current version of the EdT, and those who love it have used an older version or a different concentration. Whatever the reason, I felt as if I were wearing the scent of a person from another time and place, to whom I could not relate.

I can certainly appreciate Bois des Iles for its historical significance and for the craftsmanship that went into formulating it, but the scent itself leaves me cold. It's like a well-made European porcelain figurine that I can grudgingly appreciate for the artistry and work that went into it, but that has no place in my aesthetic scheme of things or in my life.

A couple of weeks after this initial encounter I found myself craving the gray lichen scent again, so even though I don't "get" the scent I find myself being strangely drawn to it.

Another update a few weeks later: Last night I was in the grocery store (TJ's) and smelled the sillage of Bois des Iles - unmistakable. I don't know who was wearing it, but I knew I needed to wear this perfume again. I've sent off for a decant to supplement my tiny sample. Maybe this is my HG of Chanels. LOL! Who would have thought. It just goes to show how our reaction to a perfume can change over time and how the memory of a unique scent can persist and work its way into our subconscious.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(Pure Parfum review)
This scent is 100% artistic perfection. I put just a drop on at 1 p.m., and now it is 10 and the scent is still lingering. I love the way the fragrance changes throughout the day, and it never really loses the flowery middle notes. While I do appreciate this scent, it is with the utmost respect that I say it is too sweet for me. However, I will enjoy my sample to the fullest and will probably return for another over time.

ferrari
ferrari

Opening with I nice soft aldehydes, and liht powder. After I feel many flowers, they are so elegant and light. I can to say with ones is dominated, the all in line with each other. In base Ylang-ylang with sandalwood working good on my skin.
If you like Guerlain Samsara, you should try it. Bois des Iles in base, is like a lighter version on Samsara.

Leesee
Leesee

This is a gorgeous scent, but a bit too fruity on my skin. Ultimately I had to give my sample away because I could not wear the scent without smelling the fruitiness. To sum up, Bois des Isles does not work on my skin, but if you are the least bit curious about the scent, rest assured that it is nonetheless exquisite, and well worth testing.

Auguszta
Auguszta

It doesn't happen all that often that I close my eyes and go "Mmmmmmmm!" for minutes. It did happen when I tested this for the first time. I went weak in the knee, I was speechless and totally mesmerized. Mals86 is right, it IS perfection. All I can add is that it is incredibly sophisticated, it shouts class and taste and maybe even money. I almost feel I'm not worthy. This blend is the definition of beauty, a masterpiece.

Mals86
Mals86

Absolute perfection. Warm and smooth and floral, and then warm and smooth and woody/resiny... like wearing your warmest, softest sweater and eating gingerbread cake. Cashmere in a bottle, with the elegance all Chanels seem to share (it's that expensive iris butter, I think).

I agree with liat -- it's NOT for warm weather, just as you wouldn't wear your cashmere sweater and microsuede skirt in that weather. Try it when the snow falls, and you may be enchanted.

afraafra
afraafra

Top rated female perfume from Chanel

Bois des Iles by Chanel 4.46 out of 5 based on 626 ratings and 86 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Bois des Iles fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Bois des Iles, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bois des Iles by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bois des Iles by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.