Designers » C » Floral Green « Groups

Chanel N°19 Chanel for women

Chanel N°19 Chanel for women
dislike

I have it: 919 I had it: 515 I want it: 603 My signature: 43

Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Videos Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Videos Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Videos Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Videos Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Videos Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Videos
Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures Chanel N°19 Chanel for women Pictures

Number 19 in the name refers to the birth date of Coco Chanel, August 19. The perfume was launched in 1970 when Coco Chanel was 87 years old, a year before she died. It was created by Henri Robert, a perfume creator which created many other perfumes of the Chanel house.

The composition merges aggressive green note of galbanum and woody dusky note of iris as a harmonious bridge between delicate floral heart and leathery-woody base. Chanel N°19 is hard to classify and describe. It includes fragrant notes of galbanum, neroli, bergamot, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, iris, vetiver, sandalwood, leather and musk.

Galbanum Hiacynth Neroli Bergamot

The Afternoon of a Faun

Chanel N°19 Fragrance Reviews

Sanne84
Sanne84

Very unexpected, but this was love at first sniff for me.
I found a small sample in a drawer, and decided to try it. Thinking I would never like it, I put it on both wrists. The opening was quite harsh, It didn't wake me up softly, it just flipped the matress so I fell out of bed onto the cold hard floor. After a couple of minutes it settled, and the bad mood it had was over. It smells like freshly cut flowers, after the rainstorm. I feel fresh, energized and 'green'. Very suitable for spring, and hopefully for summer. It is oerfect for the office, and will not bother anyone there. But make no mistake, it will be noticed! Longevity is about 4-5 hours, after that you can still faintly detect it when you put your nose close to your skin, but you might want to reapply. Another hit from Chanel with me.

kasper01
kasper01

Cold. Money. Standoffish. Privileged.

This is a very, "I'm wearing this for me not you so don't even..." fragrance.

I love it, but I kinda wish I didn't. Feels wrong to love something this snobbish.

Mrbigbigtoe

I MUST get this one soon!!!!!!!
I already have the EDP and I love it.

Emilym1992
Emilym1992

SayakaP you made me want this perfume sooo bad. Just ordered a sample from eBay.

SayakaP

Witty, Confident & devastatingly Feminine. Yeah, the ad was right for this masterpiece.

No.19 is a girl / woman whose main concern is not to attract men. She's got the world to explore.
She's not afraid of being intellectual.
She's standing tall on her feet.
And she's elegant to the core without a hint of vulgarity.

When someone is comfortable & happy without Needing anyone, she's attractive without Trying. No wonder No.19 attracts men.

I've been wearing EDP for years as one of my favs. EDP was my choice cos EDT smelled a bit too masculine on my skin. But my skin chemistry seems to have changed lately. I noticed EDP turned just slightly too 'sweet' on my skin... So I tried EDT. The result was delightful! Beautifuly gentle Chypre Green Floral.
EDT does not last as long as EDP, but I don't mind.

A change of skin chemistry or taste is an interesting thing.
As a teenager, I chose Crystalle as my sig. Which was the only Chanel I liked. I remember I found No.19 too dry and bitter. No.5 was simply 'yuk'. Coco was too strong. (Mademoiselle was not born yet)
A quarter century later, I've grown to love all the above dearly.

Augustarina
Augustarina

Chanel 19 is the polar opposite of today's fragrances. It's a masterpiece in the same way Shalimar is. I discovered No. 19 when I was 16, and felt incredibly grown up and confident wearing it, and it continued to be one of my favourite scents right up to my first pregnancy some 12 years later, when I suddenly turned away from every scent on my dressing table!

I picked up a used but almost full bottle for $20 yesterday and it's like time stood still for me. The fragrance hasn't changed a bit and I love it just as much. Even better, my husband is going crazy over how well it works on me. Completely unsolicited hugs and nuzzlings. lol.

It's sharp, green, clean, it's for outdoors, for lazy Saturdays, and the occasional business meeting. Perfect fragrance for a woman working in a man's world. I'm so happy to be reunited with it!

nero77
nero77

EDT Review

No. 19 is a strange one... A lot of people label this as a cold, heartless, "ice queen/boardroom bitch", kind of fragrance. I don't get that at all. To me it smells like a bunch of freshly cut morning spring flowers being newly placed in a vase.

I find this to be very soft, slightly powdery, and sensual. I don't find it "unemotional" or whatever. To me I think Chanel Cristalle fulfills all of those previous labels, that is one that I see as more masculine (and one which as a man I happily wear). No. 19 EDT opens a little like the Cristalle EDT does (hyacinch and bergamot) but the galbanum really gives it an amazing quality (warm and sensual). The powdery iris is really beautiful here. It's clean and fresh and sexy at the same time. I do get Oakmoss and Vetiver and I think the earthiness of the Iris (orris root) and the dryness of the Vetiver compliment each other beautifully.

It's true that this fragrance is the opposite of "girly", as it definitely gives off a grown up vibe, but I wouldn't say it's a "cold-hearted bitch" kind of perfume. To me it's quite alive and soft. The kind of person I would see wearing this would be an intellectual, kind hearted young woman, the kind of girl who is really attractive with a sweater and glasses who always has her head in a book, but doesn't know just how beautiful she is kind of thing. Alternatively any woman who wears a suit to work or academic but deep down is still really kind and loving to those around her.

With reference to the unisex quality often attributed to this, I find Chanel Cristalle (also by Henri Robert) more masculine than this, but something like "Dior Homme" (also an iris leathery fragrance) more feminine than this, it being sweeter and more gourmand than No. 19. Coincidentally... I know that my grandfather sometimes wears on occasion so I think it certainly wouldn't be out of place being worn on a man.

As mentioned before, this was Gabrielle Chanel's signature scent. It was originally private and exclusive to her, before being released publicly just before she died. However, that being said... I'm now starting to get a pattern in late Chanel perfumer, Henri Robert's creations: Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is a green Chypre, No. 19 (1971) is a green floral, and Cristalle (1974) is floral Chypre. All have Citrus notes, all have Oakmoss, and all have Vetiver. But what sets No. 19 apart is the beautiful, sublime Iris note. Powdery, soft, warm and somehow elegantly clean... it undoubtedly makes No. 19 the plushest, most sensual, and most feminine of the trio. It really is a masterfully blended perfume.

I don't see Chanel No. 19 as a cold, "unemotional" fragrance, to me (a man's opinion) it's like meeting a very attractive yet quiet, shy, intellectual type of girl with a kind, warm, loving heart who you just want to cuddle up with on the sofa by the fire. This is just one gorgeously grown-up, well- balanced fragrance!

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

Well... wow!
What could I say...

This is what I always do,
I get a little of my hair gel, (scent-free)
just before I rub it with my hands
and apply to my hair, I will have
two sprays of Chanel N°19 EDT, mixed
them together on the palm of my hand.
Sometimes, I mix my hair gel
with the EDP.

Another two sprays on my chest or
on the shirt, then I'm ready to go...
The sharp green with a bitter edge and
floral vibrancy makes this truly a
remarkable scent.

My students would always compliment me
on how good I smell... well, how possible it
can't be good. It's quite hard to get the EDT
version in Malaysia nowadays, the Chanel boutiques
here only carry N°19 EDP and N°19 Poudre.

Sherihan
Sherihan

@lanuitblanche , well, yes, I agree, if it is in a Parfum concentration, yes big time.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

Has anyone ever seen the Duke of Devonshire Emerald? It is Chanel No. 19 manifested.

Steal it from the Museum and run away to the deepest forest you can find, and fall asleep casting spells with it. When you wake up, you'll be a queen. Its strange avant-garde beauty enchants me more than ever. It is really supernatural.

I have both a vintage (from the 80s) and the newer formulation. The older one has a bit more depth, and a fuller leathery dry-down. The new one is still recognizably No. 19, but perhaps a bit sharper in the opening, and cleaner in the base, and definitely less leathery (maybe just a thin thread of leather running through), and yes, it smells great on me!

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

No. 19 had to grow on me. While I love aldehydes, the grassy notes in this scent put me off. I prefer my scents warmer, and couldn't imagine why anyone would want to wear such an abomination ("smells like bags of lawn clippings," I said to my husband.) Then I started searching for a fragrance to gift to my Mother-in-law. She had been a longtime wearer of no. 19, but had developed an allergy to one of its componants. We must have tested 30 scents before settling on Balmain's Ivoire (original formulation) for her new scent. After all that smelling of green perfumes, I found myself craving them one day. So I tried my decant of no. 19, and lo and behold - there were the lovely aldehydes that I was missing! The grassy smell was still there, but I now saw them as sparkling rather than stinky. It's very close to me which I prefer, between Ivoire and no. 19, but as no. 19 is slightly more refined I'm sticking with that.

Dear Mrbigbigtoe,

I don't see why a straight guy cannot wear No.19 EDT :-)

I prefer & wear No.19 EDP exactly because EDT is a bit too musculine on my skin.
EDT does smell more unisex to me.

Reading your posting, I tried my EDP on my hubby.
He likes sweetish frags and usually wear Egoist (which I love to death & suits him perfectly).
Well, he totally pulls No.19 EDP off in our opinion.
On him, Oakmoss & Leather are much stronger than on my skin.
Nobody would think "Oh, that bloke is wearing his wife's perfume!"

If you like EDT& it likes you back, wear it!
But if the 'set gender by Chanel' worries you so much, wear Pour Monsieur... It's men's No.19, I think.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

Please excuse my opinion all ye honorable Chanel 19 users, but on me and in the cap or on a blotter this perfume seems nothing but an expired lipstick's smell. I don't get the floral notes at all, and reading your wonderful reviews, I envy those of you who do. Definitely it's very powerful and classical, but I find it hard to discover the beauty of it, if there is any...

seawife
seawife

It smells like powder and grass and a little artificial. I want
to like it but it's only ok. Barely ok. Very powdery, I showered
hoping it would come off, and 10 hours later I still smell
it on my wrist. Not a fan it's not sexy, it's green powder.

Edit: my mom stopped by and I showed her my new
Chanel no 5 perfume I got from the husband for Christmas. She said
my grandmother loved it and wore it all the time. She felt it was too strong
and preferred no 19. Oh! Mom I have a treat for you and promptly
fetched the bottle and gave it to her. I really wanted to like it but am glad it went to someone who will appreciate it more than I.

Mrbigbigtoe

Okay,I have never smelled this fragrance, but from the way it is described, i would like to try it, but my main question NOBODY ever answered. Do straight men wear this? Also, to the ladies, would you mind if your husband wore this fragrance even if it is labled for women?

Irishys
Irishys

I fell in love with Chanel 19 when they ran those commercials ~ "Chanel 19...devastatingly feminine". I've been wearing it ever since.

It is not a typical flowery Chanel fragrance. It's green, spicy, earthy.

I wear it in the Spring, Fall and Winter and during the day. It lasts a long time and does not over power the wearer or anyone around them. Whenever I wear it my husband says "ohhhhh, you smell good".
Hope it never changes!

alpestremonte
alpestremonte

Chanel Nº19 is my favorite fragrance for office on Mondays. Ever.

Castor
Castor

Interesting take on aldehyded greenery. The aldehydes, those notes calling for associations with women, rather grown up or, for lovers of established scents and conservative tastes (Femme de Rochas, Le Dix, etc.). It takes a hell of a lot of a statement to wear this one. Femenine, yes. But I dare to, the green elements makes me completely aloof as to its gender - yes, scents don't have genitalia, but I am among those that are not comfortable wearing the original Arpege, Opium and the rest in public. I enjoy them, but I'd fall in dismay if I could identify a woman wearing the same fem scent on me (it happened while wearing Shalimar, bad experience).

OK, so you have the fems, the fems turning into masculine ones after the mid notes and the fems that can be on the vein of Dior Homme (Polge's favorite joke, I assume) or Power, or Insensé, or Fleur du Mâle, this is, florals for men. I'd classify N° 19 among the second ones.

There is trick for wearing this, one or two sprays on the chest, under the shirt. It won't get noticed until the mid and base notes. There you are, enjoying whiffs of it without much ado. And guess what? I can get similarities to Tabac's Eau de Toilette (not the cologne) in the base notes.

I assume this is on the vein of the some of Les Exclusifs - Cuir de Russie, Sycomore, La Pausa and Bel Respiro. Men might pull these off if open mided about this issue, pending they are applied discreetely (Coromandel is a bomb, literally. There is no way you can escape for being noticed due the patch).

Of course, as previously mentioned, not in social occasions. For the fumeheads with an open mind on feminine's, yes. For the rest, a no no.

BTW, A Scent by Issey Miyake has a lot of common with N° 19 and Crystalle. And that one is sold as a unisex scent.

Anther point: the famous reformulation. I am sad to say the previous one felt somehow overbearing, the way fem scents should be, as far as my olfative experience goes. It felt blobby, dense, deep, something at odds to what a galbanum - based scent should smell, IMHO. Plus, it was Mama's preferred scent, so you get the connection. It does bring nice memories of my childhood, formal get together at home, my sister and brother in the kitchen, dressed to be put to sleep, and the smell of N° 19 and other greens of the time mixed with the smell of scotch. Wonderful concoction. The actual one lost much of its aura, but I truly think is still a quality scent (which by the way, makes me think the actual version of Antaeus is at odds. Why don't they discontinue it? Except for the Egöistes and Blue, feminine Chanels are really worth it. The masculines are, well, not to their standards. Even Les Exclusifs, in all their femininity, are better blended than the masculines. The "stick to the masculine ones", as suggested by a renowned Base Noter, does not apply to me.

Curious as to Crystal, have to say.

Hand in hand comparison next.

Edit: today (Nov. 24th) at 12:00 MD I applied Quartz and two spritzes of vintage N° 19. Even though I spritzed Quartz quite liberally, I felt it was gone quite fast. At around 06:00 pm I could whiffs of remarkable barbershoppy / classic men's scent around. I thought it was my Father, but he wears an EdC that is more than fleeting, reviving on his skin under heavy sweating. I really could not believe it, I was amazed at the change.

Of course I got confused. I don't know if it was Quartz, N° 19 or both. Darn it!

ed
ed

Amongst other things, I recently purchased some pure essential oil of Galbanum. I now clearly recognise Galbanum in the sharp initial 'green' note of No. 19.

Tremere
Tremere

Galadriel if she taken the Ring. Love me and despair.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

at first i get sharp, cold, bitter, green. then some powder floral begins to emerge. its a cold uninviting fragrance. maybe wear it to meeting where you do not plan on negotiation or compromise. shes a stern woman. the woodsy notes make me think of like old library, maybe a little moldy. this makes me think of a stern cold librarian working in the cellar of a library. she wears a pencil skirt and her hair tight in a ponytail. while she is beautiful she is also cold so no one approaches. i think this is business professsional and could be an everyday fragrance. just too bitter for me.

knife

I wrote about this scent long time ago.
And mixed it up with Chanel no.5!,
which I can`t stand.
Yeas I loved it,but probably used it too often.
I don`t think it is a especially green scent,
just in the beginning.
I like it,but that`s just about...

Scout
Scout

I love woods and thought accordingly that I would be into this. However, I only wear it when I want to be "corporate," as it puts a shield around me that is not warm and inviting. These are dry woods, not warm wet woods. This is furniture, not a forest.

There is a metallic tinge in the base that becomes pronounced with wear. It emerges as the powdery top fades with time. It's the same note I get from Chanel 5. Instead of blending in with my chemistry, the fragrance decomposes and this brass stands out.

I can see why many regard this as a "classy" fragrance, but for me a classy woman brings with her a certain light and brightness to the room. There is none of the brightness here. I certainly would wear this if I wanted to keep to myself, say, sneaking into a symphony hall under cover of darkness, to sit in the dark, and ruminate with my thoughts. Or, to stay at home alone by the fire under a blanket with a book.

njaalgahaisyeini
njaalgahaisyeini

This is a demanding scent and not initially pleasant, at all. The first encounter is really pungent and sharp and off-putting. It's too green and woody for my wear at this point in my life (to be honest the sharpness of it makes me think of cheap men's cologne, which I loathe), even though I love the delicate whiff of the dry-down when the greenness has almost vanished and more powdery notes come out.

Despite its sharpness this scent is sophisticated, complicated, and *interesting*. It's also the kind of scent that traumatized me as a kid and still reminds me of insect repellent if I whiff too close to the skin where it's applied. It's clearly a classic for a reason, but definitely not for everyone, and imho not for every occasion. At least not ones that take place in closed spaces such as airport hangars, sports stadiums or concert halls.

Sadly I am yet too young and impatient to wait for it to develop, but I will save this for the right occasion - I have a feeling one will be coming, sooner or later, and when that day comes, I will be prepared.

twj47
twj47

Beautifully green... I wore this when I could no longer find my beloved Cuir de Russie - but it doesn't seem to suit my skin any longer.

tsarina
tsarina

I like this perfume to smell but not to wear for myself personally, that is why I do not own it. I find that the woody, eathy tones of this make this what I would describe as the most "mature" scent of the Chanel fragrance line.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

Fresh, Clean, Green... I sprayed this while in the department store today, running errands. The dry down is pretty refreshing - and I believe that this has some potential for being a daytime signature fragrance.

You would really have to LOVE Green fragrances to really adore this one, otherwise, don't waste your time trying this.

For people who really enjoy Green, then this is definitely one to consider. I also love Cabotine and some Vetiver fragrances. This is a bit lighter than a Vetiver.

I will have to try this one again, and isolate it - only unto itself.

gd15329
gd15329

Although not my cup of tea I find that more masculine and more relish (pleasurable) than Platinum Egoist. Go figure...

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

Long-time lover. I still have a 1997 pre-IFRA bottle and matching body oil spray from my college graduation (thanks, Gran!)--still smells lovely. Wore it for my wedding, worn to the office, worn on cool fall or spring days. Dresses up, dresses down (sort-of: if you live in NYC!). Green, Chanel-powdery (gotta be the iris), chypre-sharp--overall impression of a cool, collected woman who knows her mind and is not in the business of making you happy. For the days when that fits you to a T, or you need to borrow some of that lady-swag.

levinebabe
levinebabe

What can I say, it is beautiful. It sounds like a classic to me, and I've tried several classics. No special impression, a lot are too heavy for me. I wasn't really interested on trying this. This is different. Especially, from No. 5. It has no aldehydes, which is a good news to me. A soothing green fragrance. Also a bit powdery on me. The sillage and longevity is quite disappointing though. Might try the EDP.

Maodo
Maodo

I ordered this Chanel No. 19 EDT just a few minutes ago and i cannot wait to wear it.

I smelled it in a perfumeshop on a strip and got blown away immediately. What a guts this No. 19 has....it's bold and charming at the same time and floral green in a way that not many designers would burn their hands on. It's a big smack in your face, but an ingenious one. Smack me again please!

But... I don't have it yet, so I talk to you later :-)

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

i love this one so much I can drink it if I could!!! so beautiful--unlike anything else..sophisticated..and clean, fresh..lifts your head up a little higher when you wear it..not in an arrogant way but gives you confidence..so lovely!!

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

I have a really old bottle of Chanel no. 19 which belongs to mom - it's not even the same design as the one listed here but the old rectangular chunky splash bottle.

Anyway, this on my skin is a very earthy scent. It starts off bright, bitter, earthy and woody, presumably due to oakmoss, galbanum and orris root and then mellows later, sweetened by the florals.

Classy scent. This is definitely a scent that screams "I'm a no-nonsense woman." I'd wear this when I start working in the future on days where I wish to say "don't mess with me".

EDIT: I totally want a bottle for myself.

MLK
MLK

I love wearing Chanel no.19. It's a very elegant scent, easy to wear and not overpowering to wear to work and feel very sophisticated. I love both the edt and edp versions.

Migalex
Migalex

Both the EdT and the EdP seem to have been reformulated recently. They are now very different.

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

I do love Chanel 19, it is probably my favourite Chanel perfume. it is fresh and green and with a lovely powdery dry down. It is so wearable. For day or evening. Summer or winter.

pipergirl

Meant to say that it would be fine to wear at the office as it is not at all over powering and quite fresh.

pipergirl

Timeless, feminine and very elegant. Chanel 19 quite powdery, floral, green - more of a fresh scent than a "clean" scent which is really fine by me. I do not get cold or power suit from this perfume at all, although it would certainly be in the office. This would be a lovely fragrance to wear to, say, a spring wedding where good manners and a little feminine elegance is called for.

Actually, I prefer edp to this concentration.

This one is more watery. So it less powdery and reminds a green colonge scent a little bit. The galbanum note is the most noticeable for sure. The only thing I like in it more is that it's more rosy than edp. But this version has much less noticeable iris and musk notes, that is why I guess the drydown is not as powdery, what I like in edp a lot.

I wonder if I liked Chanel №19 as much as I do if I'd tried edt first than the edp. I guess that no, despite the May rose note is really charming in it. But in general it doesn't have such an ideal notes balance that edp version does.

My choice is made.

leeleeB
leeleeB

Beautiful but does not last very long... need to spray lots to be able to smell it. :( Especially the cost of the perfume!!

DomizianoA
DomizianoA

One of my signatures! Even at the gym, everyone knows i am such a chic and picky straight man!

woodlandwalk

Having read the review in 'Perfumes, the Guide' which describes No 19 as 'Wire mother' as opposed to a snuggly more natural mother, and suggests that it will 'appeal to women who have ever wished to know what it is to be heartless', I'm here to defend No 19!

I was reading about it in Perfume Shrine and the comments there are testament to the affection many women feel for this perfume. To my nose it's a feminine take on the aroma of the great outdoors. This gives it the sense of being freed from a corset and is presumably why it was originally marketed towards the emancipated and more 'up-front' kind of woman when it was first released.

But really its message is gentle: I have yet to smell a perfume that so beautifully and abstractly conjures up the aroma of the countryside - from river valley flowers and hedgerows to sun warmed woods and mountain tops. There's even the mildest suggestion of the perfume of a wood-smoke fire and the idea of home-coming. We're used to the dry down of vanilla and musks, but here it's the idea of being gently brought back to earth

This is a classic, but it's still fresh and unusual and it's my all time favourite from all the Chanels and Guerlains

DJPINA1
DJPINA1

When I first smelled this at a fragrance counter on paper. I thought how awful. But then I went back and had them spray a little on the top of my hand, I sniffed and made a face. Then sniffed again and there it was the love began. It is just a relaxing scent. I am totally a Chanel girl. I wear Coco mademoiselle, Chanel 5 and Coco Chanel. But this is my evening sit down and relax at night scent. I purchased it to wear in the spring, but I loved this scent so much I couldn't wait till spring. I wake up in the morning in so relaxed when I still can smell it on my pj's. Chanel this is a superb combination of citrus, flowers and earth.

samer007
samer007

they say the devil may wear prada, but when it comes to perfume, the devil sure wears that n 19...
and so after the good reviews and overall classic status i bought my n19 edt:)
i sprayed the edt, and an initial heavy oily, resin and green/grass note hit me and i knew i found the n19 i was expecting! i bought the 50ml.
my only complain is the perfume feels wattered down more than it should be. longevity is moderate at best and the powerful notes really fade after few minutes and im left with a light drydown that no one can smell. big worry when u're buying a chanel and payin the price. wish i could find a stronger version of n19.

EDIT: just bought the EDP concentration because the EDT has a too soft sillage and drydown. EDP is richer and its drydown is heavier.
4- stars.

So many capable reviewers have captured it No19 better than I...nevertheless I'll offer my meagre 2 cents. To me it is a of sucessful alliance of opposites...
languid dry wood smoke vs sharp freshly crushed weeds; cool bitter/sweet white flowers vs dry forest floor and leaves; ethereal vs earthly.

I have just got a new bottle after being out for a month or two, and I am reminded why I love it: This fragrances makes me feel calm and centred and in this world of novelty and screeching promises that's a kind of beautiful you can never have too much of.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

In a world of taking the heat, burnt out stress and fiery tempers, everyone can use an inner garden. Somewhere cool to carry around and retreat to when the pressure's biting.

Chanel No19 takes me instantly to this place. The greenness of the opening that some find cold, unsettling even, is for me fresh and refreshing like first light on a day that promises heat and light.

The heart of the perfume delivers on this promise with a warm infusion of summer flowers, manicured leather and woods that gradually come to the fore in a base that never fully eclipses the flower border now in the background.

If there is a masculine assurance about this fragrance, this is due in part to the fact that many so-called aquatics and ozonics occupy a corner of this water garden like a babbling water feature.

For me however, these other fragrances lack the masterful progression that is No19's masterstroke: a transition as imperceptible yet magisterial as the change from dawn to mid-morning to midday that it emulates.

A wonder of nature.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

This review is for the EDT:

To me, No.19 reads as a polite version of Silences by Jacomo, with less galbanum, and a more bread-like iris note. Chanel's handling of iris makes me think of moldy wheat bread - which is a good thing! It's a nice smell.

Of course it's extremely green, nice hyacinth and muguet notes interspersed with bitter-rubber rose and a quiet vetiver accord simulating leather. This is probably the nicest Chanel I've ever sniffed. Truly beautiful and well crafted, with lovely ingredients playing off each other in perfect harmony. Nature in a bottle.

As with many Chanels I've tried, however, there's always a little problem. In this case it's a VERY little problem: Silences. If you've smelled it, if you've worn it, if you've ever experienced the full-throttle greenness of that sinister perfume, you know that its iris is very powdery, grey, in-your-face, along with an explosive chalky galbanum that some would argue is crude and unbalanced, but when you smell what lurks beneath - such a silvery array of bittersweet white flowers - it's nigh impossible to resist the beauty found in such wonderful tension. When you smooth down these olfactory exclamation points, you get a slightly less-compelling effect, but in truth the difference in these scents is slight, perhaps even negligible. The difference in price, however, is another story . . .

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

This is my power fragrance, for when it's appropriate to be the ultra-professional ice queen--meetings with male colleagues who may try to push me around, f'ex. I can't do the EDP, because on me the EDP crosses the line between "assertive and cool" and "directly masculine." But the EDT is perfect for occasions when I need to communicate from the start that I won't take any nonsense.

Interestingly enough, my mother tells me that between the time Chanel No. 21 was discontinued in the 1970s and the time she stopped wearing fragrances in the mid-80s (before I was old enough to remember), this was her signature.

missliberty11
missliberty11

This was my signature scent in my late twenties. It smelled balmy yet fresh. It was subtle and classy, and I felt very sophisticated when wearing it. It's a great scent for a young career woman who wants to smell elegantly without coming across as too girly. I don't get the green tones very much, they are subtle. I've found that the eau de toilette worked better than the eau se parfum because of the composition. It is not a composition of an eau de perfume which I think should be delicate in its notes. But the eau de toilette is a superior fragrance and worth its money, if you are searching for something that is known but not that often worn anymore.

karenelliott
karenelliott

smells like opening a book in a super old library with wooden floors

OTA Mom
OTA Mom

Not for me but too 'heady' with the floral components. A lasting, green powdery scent. Right off what seemed the essence of smoke.

dnnhts.00@gmail.com
dnnhts.00@gmail.com

Someone told me that No. 19 smelled "like Heaven".
Since my idea of Heaven is a deep and possibly enchanted forest, he was exactly right. I think of tiny green-skinned silver-haired fairies who sleep in beds of oakmoss and dress in flower petals and leather garments made from the lost gloves of hikers.
At the office, 19 is the perfume equivalent of a power suit, the attractive woman who refuses to sexualize herself and demands that you take her seriously.
Maybe that's why I tend to think it a tad too dry and serious.
I add the tiniest dab of Fracas to brighten it up, and that works well for me.

emily7
emily7

I used to think this is a galbanum-monster and went for the EDP version, but boy I was wrong! All this time I was missing this green, powdery leather (EDT) par excellence! Silly me. Sharp and clear (but not transparent), classy and empowering and yet not at all cold or offish, but very comfortable, warm and reliable. No projection or longevity issues whatsoever (as well as with EDP). I always choose to wear it whenever I have tough day at work and it works beautifully; it's supporting me the whole day long, without being heavy or fatiguing.
I'm aware there are plenty of people out there thinking Chanel - in general - is boring and conservative... They surely forgot to try No.19!

tonkabeanster

To the hapless gentleman at the Chanel counter who said this smelled like mildew:

I hope you step on a lego.

knife

I used to love it. Years later....Talcum powders in the worst way. Nothing more,nothing less!!...

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

Review is for the EDT purchased in Mexico arriving directly from the French Market:

No.19 is a soft yet crisp bitter green floral with a powdery accent and a touch of booziness.

The cold bitter green notes softened by the Iris then accentuated by the booziness really does it for me.

A guy can do this although you must be ok with some soft powdery florals. This shouldn't be a problem considering what men wear today.

* In some ways it reminds me of the Eastern Oil "ORIENTAL NOUR" except not as intensely floral and more westernized.

Longevity is average unfortunately but not bad (FRENCH MARKET). Sillage is also decent but not amazing. You will most likely want to carry a decant with you.

I give this an 8/10 . An original play on FRESH Chanel Style. There are so many green fragrances out there but this has that unmistakable "pioneer" aura to it.

varykino
varykino

I decided to try No. 19 simply because I've been reviving my old love affair with Cristalle, and wanted to see if No. 19 would appeal to me as much. Wow, it does, and then some. The EDT goes on sharp and cool, but quickly softens and warms to a sweet, dry floralcy with a woody green shade, a drydown so smooth and divine that I barely can pry my nose from my wrist and stop inhaling it in deep lungfuls. I adore wearing this — it makes me feel like the best-smelling human being in the world!

id
id

very very nice, green soft and smooth on my skin. I can feel none of the agressive green sharp notes as the description in Fragrantica states. It is very delicate and classy fragrance on my skin and a complete pleasure to wear it.

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

I think the vetiver and iris mix; is why people say it smell "Cold and Aggressive" . Because the vetiver is sharp and dry, and the iris gives it the powdery sweetness, it smells odd, but i like it :P . In summer time no. 19 (on me) smells more fresh and clean floral. But in the colder weather its really just vetiver vetiver vetiver! which smells kinda masculine. I really love no. 19, its an all year scent. If you want to stand-out in a crowd wear no.19. But don't over do it, its borderline cloying.
It last for a loooong time, 8+ hours! And my skin is like a sponge, fragrances never last on me. :) 7/10

shreyashi
shreyashi

The absolute blast of earthy green notes that comes from this makes it an instant classic. I am mostly a gourmand/ sweet/ floral person. However, the very anti-thesis of its nature to my taste keeps bringing me back to this.
Give it a try.

rachel32
Some girls drove me crazy at a local store making me try perfumes, tried about 15 fragrances on me and paper, one of the girls sprayed chanel 19 on my left arm and i said to her "it's too green for my taste", when i came home i was smelling all the little pieces of paper and both my arms trying to remember which aroma belong to which piece of skin or paper, and then something really awful hit my nose, something so wrong i started to ask myself "what is this??!! What is this??!!" coz i couldnt remember after all the fragrances i tried, it was so moldy, earthy, like very old humid grass, what a horrible thing!! and then it came to my head it was Chanel 19, No ofense but i think im not the first person to say that maybe chanel fragrances are tooooooooooo overated, maybe this one didnt match my skin chemistry :S

Baldric
Baldric

Do I like the EDP or EDT better? Why can't I decide?

The EDT opens with a blast of green and is actually a bit smoother, the EDP is a bit sour in comparison, although if one had never smelled the EDT the EDP would probably read as green and smooth as well.

The EDT seems to develop more of a focus on the iris in the heart while the EDP picks up more rose to me. Although both are lovely at this time. The EDT seems to also have a stonger leather note to my nose. So far EDT is winning, but then something happens to make the EDP pull ahead.

In the drydown of the EDP, the rose softens, the iris comes out more and it keeps chugging away while the EDT starts to fade. Any sour or screechyness on the part of the EDP is long gone. Wearing each fragrance on each wrist I have to make sure I sniff the EDT first for if I sniff the EDP and then move to the EDT wrist I can't even tell I have anything on.

I love both, perhaps the EDT more, but really I love both. One of my favorite fragrances of all time. Perfect for any occasion and great for when you aren't sure what to wear. Both have that wonderful Chanel quality, strong, long lasting, well made. I like to wear the EDT if I am facing a challenging day and need to stand up for myself. I feel like it will somehow intimidate those around me into bending to my will, but will do it in such a lovely, subtle manner that they won't even realize that they are terrified of me. It's sneaky. I currently am out of EDT and only have EDP and go back and forth about whether it is necessary to have both. Probably only for the avid collector.

aditika
aditika

Very similar to Parfum/EDP, amazing scent. Vetiver vetiver vetiver :D
definitely a classic. strong, crisp and dry. A must try for fumeheads.
10/10 on everything from me

Edit: I proudly own this now :)

perfumepsych
perfumepsych

they tottally destroyed it.
i tested last year and it was amazing...a sharp green chypre aith an exquisite note of galbanum.
it stayed on my skin for hours and now...it is disappointing. it is very light with no sillage and the galbanumis simply watered down and even totally missing.
total waste of money.
i bought it yesterday and my impression is that
it is very close to the edp version now, but watered down.

Alityke
Alityke

On discovering perfume when I first started working and could afford it, I tried No 19 as I loved other chypres. Then, almost 30 years ago, I liked the green opening but found the florals just "meh". I never tried it again until recently after reading that it had been reformulated.
WOW!
The green opening was there although not as sharp as I remembered, this lasted just a short time then the most beautiful floral heart opened. Creamy, smooth and complex this wonderful melange lasted hours until it inched imperceptibly into an intimate woody dry down. I simply do jot see this as a chypre.
The dry down is still there 10 hrs after spraying and this is the EDT!
This could become my floral go to along with No 5

If this is the reformulation it's an improvement in my book.

desertrat
desertrat

Wow! It's a gorgeous masterpiece and I LOVE it! I have longed to find a Chanel that works well on me. As it develops on my skin suddenly it is reminiscent of Must de Cartier, which I love, and (beloved) Vintage Emeraude. I also love the many wonderful reviews you've all written with such poetry and passion. I've grown tired of fragrances that everyone can enjoy on me BUT me. Long after I think a fragrance is long gone, someone complements me. That is nice, but I'd like to enjoy it too. So Far I think this one is a secret to enjoy for yourself. I really love that idea...

larali
larali

This is my sister's choice: she is a beautiful and very elegant young lady.

FreshPlease
FreshPlease

I haven't tried this yet, but from the description, it's on top of my shopping list. I've been searching for something to replace Lauren. Contrary to what most reviewers reported with Lauren, on me, it basically boiled down to two scents: Lily of the Valley and leather. Since it was reformulated and made so fake green and fruity, I don't enjoy it like I did in the 80's and very early 90's. I've been wearing clean scents, but missing a truly "signature scent" that the clean scents just can't qualify as. 19 sounds like it will fit the bill nicely. I'll update after trying.

HazelMae
HazelMae

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I don't find this to be at all assertive or cold. The top notes are slightly grassy and galbanum, but I have many other fragrances that are sharper and more tart than this. It quickly dries down to the very softest rose-iris-leather. It is quiet but persistent and wears close to the skin for me.

This scent is one of the most subtly intriguing you'd ever find lingering on a silk scarf, because it smells more like a fabulous-smelling person than a perfume - I've heard many scents described this way but this is the only one I've found that actually does this for me.

While it is available at almost every perfume counter in America, like most classic Chanels it still manages to convey exclusivity, privilege and unassailable good taste. I'd actually pick this as one of the most refined of all the Chanels.

This scent is simply not legible from a scent strip, it must be worn. Perhaps its flinty reputation is a result of the challenge of an internal contradiction between cool greens and warm leather. I think this is why people speak of perfume as having intelligence and even personality. This perfume makes you do a little work to understand it, it doesn't spoon-feed you an immediate message as to what it's about. It doesn't approach you first but we confuse that with being unapproachable due to a dearth of subtlety and patience.

I think I may also have had difficulty understanding this due to the gulf I find between Chanel's marketing (bold, daring) and my perception of it. If I had to pick something that I feel The Guide described poorly (though hilariously) this would be it.

Make the effort and you may relish the "hard to pin down" nature of this scent which allows you to wear it daily without getting bored.

Troodos
Troodos

I was bought this beauty by my mum for my nineteenth birthday...unoriginal perhaps but a lovely present! I have owned a bottle ever since and can't believe how confidently i wore this as a nineteen year old student, it is such a confident and feisty perfume (I put it down to the fact that it was the 80s and in a sea of Poisons and Obsessions 19 must have seemed like an eau de cologne!) I love it's assertive green character and reach for it on days when current perfume feels like an overwhelming fog of fruity Gatorade/snapple/gummi bear madness.

BarefootContessa

...really can't expect anyone who likes to smell like the top of Carmen Miranda's head to appreciate this perfume. No. 19 is uber classy and and thus, deadly sexy.

BarefootContessa

Light, tender, FEMININE, super classy- could never be described as cloying...If you don't want to smell like a fruit bowl in any way, shape or form this is the one!

katiushka
katiushka

There are a lot of great reviews here, so I’ll try to not repeat anything that has already been said about the wonderful Chanel No 19.

I just want to add: this is the perfect work fragrance for me because the evolution of its scent coincides with the evolution of my day. The initial “icy green galbanum dagger” wakes me up and gives me a classy confidence before the difficult start of each day. As the day progresses, the scent reveals its softer notes of iris and lily-of-the-valley without losing its leathery aspect. This calms me in stressful situations without making me forget that I am still at work and need to perform up to standards. By the time I get home, I am left almost entirely with a pleasant iris, making me think of beauty and rest.

The complexity and multi-layered nature of this fragrance maintains a feeling of mystery and keeps me from getting tired of it. What can I say? A real find!

adriana.rizzati
adriana.rizzati

Oh, what a great scent!
It'so classy, ethereal and animalic, clean and "dirty" at the same time...
It's so sensual and subtle that it could be exchanged as the natural scent of a person.
Green, woody, floral, leathery: a very complex fragrance in which all the notes find their place to form a miraculous balance.
The sillage of the EDT is not overwhelming, it smells quite close to the skin... but the lasting power is good.
A real masterpiece, I love it!

alexandrescuf
alexandrescuf

I think this one smells better on a guy.

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

I ordered a sample of this and I'm really trying to like it. At first sniff of the sample, my eyes watered and I got this sting in my nose. I tried it anyway. It's interesting on my skin, but I ultimately don't think I love it enough to buy it. It's a bit harsh, strong and soapy. I read somewhere that this scent is supposed to be similar to Deneuve - my long time love that is now discontinued. Side by side, I smell no resemblance at all. Deneuve was sweeter and not so harsh.

Undecided
Undecided

Love it. This is my go-to, everyday, signature scent. It's cool, confident, professional, yet unmistakably feminine. I was going to purchase Chrystalle but went with this because it's less synthetic and metallic. Lasting power is okay - I can still smell it 8 hours later if I hunt for it. However, I wish it projected a bit more.

padraiginrua
padraiginrua

How many of us TRY to like a scent we think we should like and dismiss a scent we don't think is in our style. I didn't think I liked chypres, but I can't stop choosing this in the morning. I have always considered citrus scents as the perfect go to for day, but we got a big snow and blast of cold yesterday and this scent seemed to perfect reflection of clean powerful cold. Odd that initially I thought 19 just reminded me of a woody men's soap, albeit a rediculously high-end soap. Silly me.

lhollingdrake
lhollingdrake

Ah, poor misunderstood galbanum. Not nearly as obviously pretty and adored as your resinous sisters. Labeled as "cold", "bitter", "harsh", but more of a prickly pear, a sabra - thorny on the surface, but sweet at heart. There is no doubt why people call you assertive. You push to the front of the line demanding to be seen and heard before all others. However, once you become more comfortable your sweetness shines through.

I love you galbanum. Just the way you are.

BellissiMaya
BellissiMaya

This is one of those perfumes that I really don't get.. I mean loads rave about this but it just smells like decaying grass. Or no.. maybe hay? I don't know.. its dry, vomit green and just repulsive!

KFried
KFried

I first tried Chanel no. 19 edt as a sample, didn't care for it much at all and filed it away. I was mostly trying florientals and the sharpness of no 19 struck me as harsh.

Recently I've been hunting for something lighter and greener and decided to retest my Chanel sample. I'm so glad I did! It is rather sharp and astringent when it first goes on, but quickly softens to delicate light green with the tiniest touch of powder. It's hard for me to pull any individual notes from the composition, but I have grown to truly appreciate it as a crisp contrast to my usual orientals.

It's like a dry chardonnay for my skin.

AMDs44
AMDs44

I smelled this yesterday, It is light fresh and powdery very nice but it didn't last on my skin very long it fades really fast

Vanian
Vanian

Has anybody tried No 19 perfume? I would appreciate to receive some opinion about it, as I would like to bye it. Thank you in advance!
02.11.2011

rosembloom
rosembloom

I agree with JTD, it is akin to Scherrer...Being a 'gourmand fragrance' freak, I tend to surprise my b.f. with this chypre when i wear it. It somehow enchants me though it has almost zero sweetness to it. To me, it is a green vine scent filled with mysterious mossy notes like a lush forest hideaway... I love galbanum and resins, which pairs off wonderfuly with the leather and slight pepery notes to give it warmth and durability. I have worn this for years and still get compliments on how fresh, clean and 'classy' i smell.. The orris root seems to remain throughout the composition blending deliciously with vanilla and ylang-ylang . This is decidedly my favorite Chanel!

johngreenink
johngreenink

No. 19 is the most mysterious of the Chanel fragrances. I think of the poem by Sapho, from which comes the famous line, 'I am greener than grass...' when she expresses her rage and sorrow at seeing her lover flee. Green envy, green passion - there is something bewitching about No. 19.

Yes, it's unbelievably green - grass, herbs, flower stalks, vines, unripened vegetables - what could all these scents be? And yet shortly after spraying, flowers blossom and a well-toned sweetness evaporates into the air, mixing sharp and smooth together. I can't help but think of the scent that comes from freshly cut fruit tree branches (like when you're trimming a pear tree.)

The dry down is ghostly; it comes a bit quickly, and yes you can tell what was there before (the greens leave a footprint on your skin) but it's as if No. 19 stole away from you and got out of your hands. The resulting soft echo is beautiful, but almost teases you with a memory of what came before.

I love the mystery of this scent. Is it perfect? No. Is it for everyone? Definitely not. Can it be yours and no one elses? Yes! That's what I love about No. 19 - it's a secret.

jtd
jtd

The opening of Chanel 19 edt is one of my favorite experiences. It is a focused demonstration of the iris. I agree with many of the characterizations of 19: venomous, aloof, off-putting. 19 is powdery, but coldly and bluntly so. Up top, other notes, especially galbanum and hyacinth, accentuate the iris root and add to the wonderfully acetone, dry-cardboard smell of 19. Chanel 19 edt is a floral fragrance, but far les so in the topnotes than in the heart. The chill remains, but the acetone and paper recede, and the rose/jasmine heart continues the green trend right through to a grassy, vetiver drydown that I would ultimately categorize as woody-floral.

If I could make any perfume moment last forever it would be the topnotes of 19 edt. (Aside: I feel similarly about Cristalle and Pour Monsieur. Love them. Just want to drink them in. But, sadly, all three edts are brief experiences.) Despite its passing nature, though, I love the whole shape of 19. It is a beautifully worked-out fragrance and has a coherence of tone from start to finish that is both effusive and logical.

My dilemma: the concentration. The various Chanel concentrations are notorious for their qualitative differences. The edt is not a dilute version of the edp or of the extrait. It is a different formulation. I’ve fallen in easily with one concentration of the other Chanels. No 5: I understand the edp; I enjoy the edt. Cristalle: I don’t quite understand the edp (it has a niceness that defeats the pretty brutality of the edt) and want to live in the edt. For 19 I want both the edt and the edp.

While there is a similar componentry, the edp is leathery and warm where the edt is a cool, rooty/grassy floral. The evolution of the edp has a much slower timeframe, and gives a warm treatment to its flowers, rose in particular. Though distinctive, the edp winds up a broken-in green, leathery chypre not far from the drydown of Scherrer’s Scherrer.

katrin1128
katrin1128

I sprayed this on based on the notes; it sounded very pretty. It immediately smelled like urine on me.
Body chemistry is fascinating, isn't it?

vialon3
vialon3

My absolute favorite Chanel EDT! Reminds me of vintage Rive Gauche. No.19 is YlangYlang and crisp green but with a power boost! The dry down is Leather, Oakmoss and Vetiver. No.19 has a lovely sillage that stays close and lasts (by my nose) about 5 hours. A great scent that stays loyal from beginning to where my nose stops notice. Mostly, I reach for this in cooler weather and on rainy days,heavenly! Anxious to try No.19 EDP.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

No.19 EDT is perhaps one of the most polarizing scents I've ever smelled. Reviews tend to validate this as people tend to love or loathe No.19. It starts off with an icy green galbanum dagger to the chest, which remains hilt-deep for hours. Spicy leather and musk begin to creep out after the half hour or so, but No.19 stays primarily the same from first spray throughout its incredibly long dry down. I get absolutely no florals from this whatsoever, and yet, I can't imagine this on a man. No. 19 is too ice queen, bitchy, bespectacled school marm in tweed rapping a yard stick on prim leather gloves to be masculine. Withering glance in a bottle.

shabbus
shabbus

It's the middle of December, and there is snow on the ground. A tall, regal, beautiful woman is walking up to your home. Her hair, nails and stockings are perfect. She is wearing a mink coat and black spike heels. She is about 40, walks confidently, almost (but not quite) haughty, through the chilly air. She enters your home, and hands her mink to you to hang up. The fur is still icy from the cold, and you can smell her perfume on the mink. It's Chanel #19.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

This was a disappointment. The edp smelled like White Shoulders on me and I was very turned off by it. The iris poudre flanker is also nothing but leather.

I sprayed this on my wrist and got the usual No. 19 famous bitter opening. I went back to smell it 20 minutes later only to realize that it was gone! I find this ironic because I cannot scrub the edp powder off my skin, yet, I am not even given a chance to enjoy the edt!

I am sorry that this is one of the Chanel classics I do not get along with!

Tusnelda
Tusnelda

I love the drydown. Actually I think I like it best about three hours in. Then the sharpness of the green opening has melted into the softest flowers with just a little bit of something "dark and dangerous" lurking in the background. (edt)
Would just love to try the pure perfume!

krmarich
krmarich

Its 1971. Coco Chanel is still alive. No 19 is launched. August 19 was her birthday. It was a day the perfume world would not forget too soon. Indeed, it took the chypre where it had never been before-to the house of Chanel!

Green oakmoss, galbanum and vetiver hides rich potent redolent spring flowers that held so much promise to those whose loved to flirt. Indeed, it is the greenest "heart on the sleeve" ever created.

I remember the original brilliance in the 1980s and thought this cannot be matched. Indeed, thing never were greener or hopeful.

Yes, I was gifted a new formula and felt all hope leave my heart. Everything was intact except the oakmoss...There was a bit too much iris. This was more of the late May disappointment as my garden fades. Coco must be rolling in her grave. Shame on the reformulators!!!

Celebrity=Ali Mcgraw in Love Story

Chickenboo
Chickenboo

Sexy forest.

paulie86
paulie86

First off I went into this experience not really doing green scents or chypres because they kind of scare me or turn me off. I usually go for sweet gourmands or heavy rose or powdery scents but No. 19 has had me intrigued for awhile. Reading reviews on No. 19 edt and edp as well as reviews on Cristalle I chose No.19 to pick next.

Today I went to the Chanel boutique because I read somewhere online that you can buy the no. 19 edp there. I had a really nice sales girl, and she told me it's not available in the U.S only the parfum, edt, and body products. I sampled the edt and was surprised that it wasn't as "ice queen" as I thought it would be.

No. 19 opens with a light grassy green scent and dries to a very beautiful soft iris with a musky leather undertone. When I left Chanel because they didn't have the edt, I walked to Bloomingdales and on my way I kept getting whiffs of a very beautiful soft Iris-floral scent. I felt like I was in the south of France walking through an Iris field barefoot feeling the soft green grass under my feet and the sunshine on my face. A soft breeze whisks through the Iris petals, leaves and stems leaving my nose filled with a delicate perfume. This i'm imagining as i'm walking though a sea of tourists on dirty streets and the blazing nyc heat on my back lol.

I ended up buying it at Bloomingdales which was very well stocked with rows of bottles of no. 19. It's a scent that's overtly feminine with no traces of masculinity what so ever. No. 19 feels extremely personal as well as fragile but strong. The first perfume I have ever tried that has actually made me feel deep tenderness to sheer hapiness. I can definitely see why Coco Chanel kept this perfect fragrance to herself and only released it before she died. Thank you Ms. Chanel for my wonderful introduction to green fragrances.

takeasniff
takeasniff

I know Chanel would be horrified but I wear No.5 lotion and spritz No.19 perfume with it. They mix together on me and it smells divine I couldn't live without the two. I also adore Coco Chanel. When I mix No.5 with 19 it is a soft shower fresh smell that wafts around me all day. That's just me maybe others would be horrified and think I have no class or respect for the perfume but I think in this case these two compliment each other very well.

MizLiz
MizLiz

I love green chypres and florals, so how could I not love this? I honestly don't get Chanel No. 19's bitey reputation. This is supposed to be the heartless perfume for the ice queen, but I don't feel it. Perhaps 19 smelled "meaner" pre-reformulation. The beginning is as cool and green as an early-spring wind, but the heart! Oh, the gorgeous, rich rose and iris heart. It's so soft and inviting, as is the vetiver base. The whole composition has a silvery sheen. No. 19 is probably my favorite Chanel.

goldiechick
goldiechick

Of all the Chanels I have tried, this one is my favorite. It is not as overpowering as the legendary Chanel No. 5, and the scent is subtle. Okay, the liquid is green, but it doesn't take away from the wonderful smell. This week, I bought the body lotion for $50.00 and it was well worth that money.

ION
ION

I do not understand this perfume.
I am certain that if it had a different logo, it would have a different reception.

tiger_greeneyes
tiger_greeneyes

This is a beautiful floral, sensual, classically feminine perfume. I would happily wear it all the time, although as with No.5 (I've had both), this sits on my skin and reacts to something within my chemistry because both fragrances turn into eye-wateringly strong and very acidic cats urine. I bought it after having a spray of it on a card in a department store. When I used it on my skin I was incredibly disappointed. Pretty fragrance but it just doesn't like me.

meg1969
meg1969

This is one of the only two "green" scents I like to wear in the summer. (Versace Versense is the other.)

While Versense seems very "moist" and citrusy, and is a very masculine scent, N 19 is arid as the desert, ultra-feminine, flowery but so well blended with a gorgeous base that goes on forever.

This and Cristalle are summer faves. While Cristalle is sharp as a pin, cold, and almost a metallic-electric energy to it, I find No. 19 to have smoother edges, a warming quality, and a more vegetal calm energy to it. I think No 19 is like the "Yin" to Cristalle (or Versense's) "Yang." It smells like rich ladies who lunch to me.

treenhe
treenhe

initially i was horrified by the green-ness of this. all astringent and eye watering (ylang ylang, jasmine and lily of the valley together will do that to me). slowly but surely though it mellowed for me to get the iris and the oakmoss. it had a hint of prada's delicious infusion d'iris for all of 10 minutes before the musk, sandalwood and cedar descended and it changed again to something that just wasn't sweet enough for me. i can see it's potential but it just needs tipping slightly in a direction that's more me. i have a soliflore iris that i am going to experiment with and see if the addition of that takes it to a more 'me' plane. tbc!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This was a true leather scent to me. Very soapy, leathery, with vetiver swimming in and out and a hint of powdery iris.

BethPot39
BethPot39

Lovely perfume! N°19 and N°5 are classics!

N°19 is green narcissus & hyacinth scent! My daughter love this.

tonkabeanster

The opening of No. 19 EDT smells strangely similar to that of Agent Provocateur--deep, sharply vegetal, and dry as a bone. However, while AP stays dark, sexy, and slightly animalic, No. 19 quickly develops into a sheerer, more delicate scent. It also becomes fresher and, for a lack of a better word, "juicier," with the emergence of the luminous aldehylic/floral notes found at the heart of most classic Chanels. The clean powdery feel of the drydown--a combination of cool iris and smooth leather--is also what ultimately distinguishes the classy, hoity-toity No. 19 from the vamptastic woman-on-prowl that is Agent Provocateur.

While AP wears like dark green velvet (plush, sensual, and of the night), No. 19 is AP's much more respectable day face, a scent that envelopes like light green silk.

Made for a true lady--one of exceptional poise, keen intellect, and deep sensitivity behind a facade of cool elegance. A beautiful and sophisticated scent.

This is Chanel how we know it! Classic, unique, comfortable yet misterious, dangerous and very serious. No.19 is outstandingly timeless with its bitter explosion of sharp green notes, floral patterns and a powdery vibe that is never the same. Anytime you wear No.19 you discover the countless facets of this masterfully crafted composition that is able to be at the same time cold and warm, lovely and aggressive, reassuring and scary as only one great woman can be.

My only concern (if I can call it so) is that in the reformulated version leather is playing a very marginal role while I've been told in the vintage version was way more relevant. Nothing that really changes my mind on this masterpiece, but I will surely do all it's possible to put my hands (an nose) on a vintage bottle. An all time favourite.

Rating: 9.0/10

ROBERTO
ROBERTO

Le 19 est magnifique. Moi je l'adore et je le porte depuis sa sortie

mjb28
mjb28

This is a beautiful scent! It is rich and well blended. Very strong opening, beautiful green floral notes and the dry down is what I love most. Dramatic and interesting. I smell much powder in this perfume and while the edt and edp can sometimes smell sharp on me, the parfum is all boozy soft edges with a very sexy quality. It reminds me of my mother. She loves Chanel 19! Now I just realized why she loves this scent so much. Timeless, elegant, good strength with star quality. It almost never fails to generate compliments when I wear it. Chanel never stops amazing me. I love it!

frankie22
frankie22

Now that its getting hot and humid in Iowa I keep my Chanel #19 in the fridge and spritz it on to cool off!

Louw
Louw

I love how this smells in the bottle and on a tester strip but unfortunately it just doesn't smell right on my skin. It's crisp and green at the top, in a sparkly and refreshing way, but as that fades, I find it becomes a strange mixture of soapy and metallic.

Galya
Galya

I have a mini of vintage of this,and it's very nice perfume,very green,with strong note of leather at top with very delicate old kind of aldehide.

Winter125
Winter125

my best blind buy ever!!! Thanks my fragrantica buddies for helping me to decide... :D

miss_sparkle*198
miss_sparkle*198

My ultimate fav!! i was bought this by my mum when i was just 16, then just recently by my boyfriend. (am now 39)! I still love it just as much and can go through a bottle fairly quickly!! Love it.....xxx

lizzie81
lizzie81

This is i would have to say probably my all time favourite fragrance (and there's loads that i love!) I expect i will always have a bottle of this. When i wear this its like I've gone back in time to the streets of Paris in say 1920s,(even though it wasn't made till the 70s it has that old worldy feel) elegant, confident, feminine. Very unique and very chanel i adore my No.19. If i have one gripe its that the lasting power is not so great on me (is anyone else having this problem? is it me or did it used to last longer?)

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

J'adore!

BigRedJelly
BigRedJelly

This is the perfume that I've been waiting for all my life. It reminds me of early mornings when the grass is newly mown and it is a serenely fresh day with the scent of delicate wild flowers in the breeze. The kind of mornings that you wish would go on and on, wrapping you in green gentle thoughts. A beautiful divinely inspired fragrance. Chapeau Chanel No 19!

miki1968
miki1968

i got it today i just love it...i can't stop smelling it...it seems to have some cristalle's notes now i go to find...simply gorgeous

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I cannot add to the reviews below - everything has been said. I just wish I had not waited so very many years before I tested this one out. I guess because I didn't like No. 5 when I was younger, I was reluctant to try another, but I have Cuir De Russie, Coromandel and now this one (thank you Yamba1) and I hope to never be without it in my perfume wardrobe. Superb! 10/10

Malene
Malene

For many reasons I love this fragrance.
With its dry, cold and serious notes No. 19 becomes a part of you as a perfect confidence booster. I think it is an ideal mature scent. Instantly, it will make the woman who wears it feel elegant and classy.
Whenever I can’t decide what fragrance to wear I choose No. 19. We always find each other – it is very loyal, and will take me anywhere. It is not insisting on pleasing anyone; it is its very own. Still, if you fall in love with it you can count on it in any situation; always the same and always on your side. Unlike so many other scents it is never flirty or inviting in itself. It is not sexy on its own. However, it has a clever way to emphasize the self-confidence of the woman wearing it- and I think that is as sexy as it gets.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I had many expectations about this perfume. I've read about the 'coldness' the 'heartlessness' the 'confidence.' By the time I got my hands on it, I got a very different experience than I had anticipated.

This is a 'green' perfume but not extremely green. The opening is crisp, and occasionally I'll get a herby green swirl, but for the most part it's powdery and rosy, and then a powdery iris emerges after you've been wearing it awhile. To be honest the composition is very linear, with power dominating but changing from rosey, to green, to iris, to wood. The powder itself isn't of the baby powder variety, but rather a green-tinged powder made from some sort of herb, or wild grass, or something like that. The scent lasts for awhile but isn't very loud, which I like.

I have the EDP formulation, and I find it very old fashioned in the most perfect sense. Old fashioned in a way that makes you think "They don't make things like this anymore" with a tinge of sadness. Old fashioned that recalls things that are classy, and dressed up, and respectfully reserved. A scent from another time, but one you wish you'd been there for.

I really want to try the EDT now since I love green herb outdoor perfumes, but I am very happy to have found the EDP.

ccj36
ccj36

I've been wearing Chanel 19 for about 5 years now. It starts out green, for sure, but it dries down to a powdery, woody, slightly soapy scent. It has that unique "Chanel" powdery quality that many Chanel fragrances seem to have----the vetiver note, maybe? For that reason, it reminds me of Coco Mademoiselle (LOVE that stuff, too). I use the EDT, but I understand the EDP is far more intense. I don't wear it every day, but definitely on special occasions and on days when my confidence needs a boost.

Singabera
Singabera

I love it with all my heart! The most spring perfume I know - green green green fresh herbs juice, real explosion of freshness. So feminine, so classy. And, young girls, please don't be scared of trying Chanel 19))) It's extraordinary and non-common scent...

Elisabeth M.
Elisabeth M.

I was longing for something really classy, timeless and haute couture this sunday afternoon so Chanel No. 19 was the perfect choice. This scent is chypre, green and earthy in the beginning and then becomes so golden floral yet chypre.I prefer the EdP version because it is less green and more golden. I am an earthy Taurus so this perfume works perfectly with my skin chemistry. The drydown is gorgeous. Love it, love it, love it.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

So much has been said about this one. All I would add is that this is the one to wear to your job interview. It is sophisticated, confident and smart.

ClockworkCat
ClockworkCat

It smells great on the smelling strip, maybe a bit powdery for me but with a fantastic green scent. It comes across as a cool fragrance and I really pick up vetiver and jasmine. The oakmoss doesn't shine through as much as I had hoped, but the cedar is pleasant. I really wanted the 'dirty, earthy' notes described by others on here.

On skin the powder note exploded on me (I had the same problem with Shalimar). It seems my skin ruins both of these fragrances and makes them unbearably baby-powderish. I got some hostile stares on the bus... I'm afraid it's not for me, but someone with different chemistry may be able to pull it off nicely if the right notes come through. I got on better with Coco and I still have Mitsouko for my 'earthy' fix :)

I had to try this again after many years. I tried the EdP version and it smelled to my nose exactly as I remembered it. If any reformulation is taken at Chanel it is of a kind that doesn't make too much damage to beautiful fragrances of the past.
Chanel n°19 is not my kind of personal scent. It's not really me, not even close maybe. I'm much more into n°5 or Coco or Allure EdP.
Anyway this is undoubtely a glorious scent! Very few modern scents perhaps have this glorious aura.
It's sharp and green. A different kind of green, quite ancient for me and beautifully elegant! What impresses me in these scents is their complexity, the number of undertones, uppertones, armonics... like a symphony, they never smell exactly the same from one moment to the other! This is enchanting! They don't smell like solid bricks like so many new fragrances even if nice.
There is woody-earth-green vibe in Chanel N°19. I agree with all those who feel taken for a walk in the woods. It's almost like smelling tree bark directly from the tree.
I don't think this is a man-magnet. Quite the opposite! It depends on the kind of men. Fast-fed and younger find it weird and also mom's like.
It's a perfume that put some distance between the wearer and the world, yet some brave venture to follow the elegant girl in the woods!
I feel it more or less in the same way I feel Guerlain's Chamade.
I think that they are bith a little outdated and so typically '70s, because that was the time when I smelled them more around and I was very young.
Outdated doesn't mean bad in my book!

oona noir
oona noir

The most earthy, yet elegant, fragrance I have come across yet. This is definitely a desert island pick for me. It is a subtle intrepretation of a woman who does not fear being alone, but who will go to the ends of the earth for the right man.

The three current versions are quite different to my nose (why does Chanel do that?). The EDT is very green and leathery. It goes on with a blast of citronella that hits you in the face the first time you try it. It's also a bit temperamental. Sometimes I will apply it and get an hour or two of leather before it mellows into the flowers. I am a huge leather fan, but when it misfires, that can be a bit much even for me! Of the three, I would say that only the EDT could be interpreted as being unisex (and it definitely could on the right guy). The EDP is way less temperamental and more floral. I can wear it, but I don't enjoy it the way I enjoy the other two versions. The earth and leather is so muted that it seems less adventerous to my nose. My very favorite is the parfum. It is EARTHY. The first thing I smell when I put it on is DIRT. That may sound horrible, but somehow it's not-perhaps because the florals soon come out to play and because it's so well blended. This is one glorious perfume. It has a vigor that I have yet to find anywhere else. It's like a walk in a cool forest. The dirt, moss, green leaves, flowers, your old leather boots. Heaven!

Intelligent, a bit introverted, adventerous, sexy. This is No 19. It has my heart like no other.

Chanelette
Chanelette

A walk through the woods - that's what this scent reminds me of. In summer, early in the morning the sun starts to shine through the pine branches. When you touch them, a shower of fresh fragrant dew falls down. The wood is incredibly silent. You can hear your breath as you're walking up the hill, looking at the velvety moss under your feet. That's what this scent feels like: the morning sun is there, the crisp fresh air is there, the silence is there, the incredible calm, focus and self-reflection is there. But when you touch the moss - there's a surprise: it's not wet at all. It's soft but it's dry, covered with velvety luxurious powder that has absorbed all the dew falling from the trees. And this surprising sensation reminds you of the the world outside the woods...

zvoncica
zvoncica

There hasn't been a perfume to which I have come and gone from it like 19. I hated it and loved it. Well, the hate was strong at first and love came with time. The possibility is, if you are beginner in perfume world you won't like 19, and if you have learned to anticipate new worlds in bottle then here it is how the Ode on solitude smells.

Chanel`s N19 is a lighthouse in a shadowy ocean. It is a brick maid sculpture of lonely giant. No doors or windows on its walls. Just the light. Distant and cold. Flowers are made of stone here. The pointy cliffs are carpet on which sun sits during the day, and a bed for tired seagulls in the night. Wind carries the thought of fishes from the deep water , and a dream of giant to find its coast.

I think the giant cries in the nights without stars.

candymarie
candymarie

Chanel No.19 is indeed "hard to classify and describe." So many excellent reviews already, that I won't attempt another one, except to say, Moss, Leather, Powdery Iris, etc - GENIUS combination!

25 years ago when I first began wearing it, it made me feel like the coolest woman on earth. Know what I mean?

pupici
pupici

I love this perfume. I finally bought it a few days ago and I have been in scent heaven ever since. To me it does smell green, almost like a lush forest. It reminds me of elegance, power and classiness, and does in fact bring me an extra dose of confidence when I wear it.

The only thing is that its lasting power is very very low... I find that I can no longer smell it after no more than 2 hours. That might just be me and my skin but it's the one thing I find a little annoying about this absolutely gorgeous perfume!

I am reviewing the EDT and the EDP.

EDT: It reminds me of that smell in the air after a rain in the woods. It's an all-encompassing, green cloud of wet earth, green leaves, grass, and moss with a pinch of powder for femininity. I've never smelled such an earthy scent that was so sophisticated and wearable. It doesn't smell masculine at all. I love nature, and this fragrance is a tribute to all the things I love about the great outdoors.

(Update: Drove past a patch of pine trees. The smell of pine blew into my car. I smelled my wrist with the pine scent in my car, and it was absolutely divine. This makes a wonderful green winter scent!)

EDP: This is a whole different animal from the EDT. I would say that the EDP is sweeter, more floral, and less powdery. This might sound surprising, but sometimes I think there's marijuana in there. The first spritz smells of vibrant green plants, leather, and moss. I'm in a warm, sunny greenhouse full of lush leaves. As the scent develops, I detect lily of the valley mixed with some powder. It doesn't seem to have much projection at this point. I have to put my nose really close to my skin to smell it. And just when I have completely forgotten that I am wearing perfume, the projection changes completely. The warmth of my body causes the fragrance to gently radiate as I begin to catch rich and glorious whiffs of cozy, sweet, woodsy, cinnamon. The drydown is the best part.

I bought the EDP because it's a limited edition, and I love it, but if forced to choose, I would go with the EDT. While the EDP is indeed a green perfume, the EDT is more down-to-earth, more mossy, more raw.

eilismaireg

As a description, I'm totally with MagpieMagpie below. It took me a while to fall for No 19 and I haven't ever worn a Chanel fragrance before. However, on several testings of the EDP I was hook, line and sinkered! Cool comfort is what this scent means to me, it is sexy in a way totally unlike what I usually wear (heavy, spicy, rich) and is instead mature, elegant and aloof. A snowdrop enrobed in frost...I just need a white mink coat to match now......magical!

magpiemagpie
magpiemagpie

Fascinating. The opening smells green (galbanum stands out to me), dry, and expensive. The somewhat leathery iris, elegant woods, and grassy vetiver linger for a long while, accented with whispers of classy florals. Sillage and lasting power were both about average on me. Chanel No. 19 smells professional and austere, but also... kind of sexy. Not a coy seductress kind of way. In an intimidating, take-no-prisoners, "I can do anything I want and I always get what I want" kind of way.

This is my perfume! I have tried many, many others over the years but tire of them all after a few squirts and come back to this. I think a lot of women have a problem with it because its not pink and girly or overtly flowery which is the modern trend on the whole. Chanel no 19 is the total opposite - grown up, sexy, earthy and classy. Strangely I've never understood the cool description at all, to me it smells warm and earthy, complex and enigmatic. It unfolds trhough many different levels like the smells you meet on a walk through a forest on a warm but rainy day. Many perfumes give me headaches, but this never has. I agree with the comment about being able to wear this if you can't get on with others, nothing works as well for me as Chanel no 19 - it has always been as close to perfection in a smell as it comes for me.

vsmini
vsmini

As a newbie to Chanel I figured the best way to start sampling the fragrances was to purchase the pure parfum Holiday gift set of 5 Chanel classics.

No. 19, I was told today, is not normally sold as a pure parfum but was for the holiday scent. That being said, I've never smelled No. 19 as anything but the pure parfum so my review may be a bit different.
This started off as GREEN! A very earthy/plant scent that I loved then it faded away on the dry down and really lost its power. Now I'm left with a very tart and tangy unpleasant scent on my wrist. Too bad - I loved that fresh burst that it started off with in the beginning. Perhaps it's just my skin chemistry.

Taliera

This is cat perfume! I have the EDT, and 2 cats liked it - my sister's singing teacher's cat (for which it was like catnip!), and my own cat. Mine has disliked EVERY perfume I wear, except this one, where she rubs her face against it and licks.

wprofumo
wprofumo

I am wearing No.19 today as a "compromise": I really didn't want to wear any of my usuals. It was a gift as part of a set of five Chanel tiny Parfums. I would not have bought it but it's nice enough to wear from time to time.
In this sense, I have to agree with Yamba1 above who says: "This is my "go to" fragrance for the office. Chanel No 19 EDT is the smell of crisp efficiency. Nothing cloying here to upset anyone in confined spaces, but it will be noticed". I find No.19 to be light, delicate, and barely there on me. Coincidentally, I am also in Australia, which probably has something to do with how we both perceive No.19.

Kazorwaman
Kazorwaman

Chanel`s parfumes have always been too sharp to me..I just have come from the store with *Coco* on my wrist...What a mistake! I have made...too strong,too sharp...I smell like an old lady...

But this one - No19 - is something complitely different! Nice, smooth..very light..and you still can recognise those "chanel"-notes, which I smell in absolutely every chanel parfume...But here they are soft and nice :)

Lottis
Lottis

Simply:
So really earthy green, powdery - just tiny sweet, with warming lether in the base.
Chanel 19 is just so luxurious green!

Sissi
Sissi

Chanel no 19 conjures A rainy Sunday morning with gray skies on a lush Irish
moors with the musk of pure green grass damp from a early morning rain.
With the Morning mist blown from the sea
breaks the darkness of night into the new
dawn with some instinct you begin wondering around feeling the refreshing
texture of the green grass beneath your
bare feet you start to be aware of your
senses around you you smell the sharp
bright scent of bergamot and spicy hyacinth to awake your senses.
Then you hear the most haunting tune of
church bells your entranced by the clear
and most purest bells that chime you see
the most beautiful Celtic Cross made of
white stone and beautiful purple irises
and pale pink that adorn the alter of the Virgin Mary and the vivid color of
the ancient Celtic Illuminated Book of
Kells.

Chanel no 19 has a beautiful Earthiness
that is not comely sluttish or flamboyant it's a simple and pure scent
with a spiritual tone.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

I agree with the previous review, this perfume can effect body chemistry. It smells very damp on me like I have been rained on in the most disgusting environment possible. Yet a friend of mine wore this perfume and it smells devine on her. Body chemistry does play a major role in this perfume. Such a shame this perfume did not agree with me as I think it smells great on the right person.

nancinha
nancinha

I bought this on an impulse, which is usually a bad idea. Anyways, I hate it, I know it's a strong word but honestly it reminds me of the smell of an airplane lavatory. It made me nauseous. I cannot wear this, maybe it just doesn't work with my body chemistry.

nyoka
nyoka

I love 19! To me it is a highly romantic,sensuous and warm woodsy scent.It opens with the fairy like scent of water lily,followed closely by juicy wet peaches and iris,and,iris root.Deep,dark,woodsy,mossy,at one with the earth.Jasmine and beautiful vibrant hibiscus blend in and become a creamy medley.THe drydown which comes hrs later is kissed with ginger,woody accords.Deep exotic woods in a mythical forrest,A georgeous scent.I think its raw sexy,not light at all.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Weird. I tested N19 before, and it seemed greener than the EDP I tested now. At start it was very green and old fashioned. It reminded me of everything that gone in past. But when it opened up in all colours, I discovered this pretty fiery, spicy fragrance. A little like dry tree bark dust feeling to it too [loves it] It pretty reminds me of new formulation of Chanel N5, which also has a bit fiery feel to it, but it tangles with aldehyde. N. 19 is elegant, classy, stylish and serious. Maybe 'elegant' doesn't suit it well, as, say , hot-blooded.

vadim
vadim

I live this green floral perfume. It's smells like nature and is elegant

Passionflower
Passionflower

Tried the EDT today. No.19 is a very nice pleasant unoffensive scent. Bit too light for me, but very good as an everyday fragrance.

Yamba1
Yamba1

This is my "go to" fragrance for the office. Chanel No 19 EDT is the smell of crisp efficiency. Nothing cloying here to upset anyone in confined spaces, but it will be noticed.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

EdT vs EdP...
I started the day with a spray of each one on my wrists. The EdT opens much harsher, louder, quite brash, really, while the EdP has a cleaner green smell that stays much closer to the skin. As they develop, the EdT becomes overwhelming and, to me, even headache inducing in its sharpness and what I refer to as a "perfumy" smell (ie, mixed scent without clear notes, loud and somewhat cheap). The EdP stays close to the skin and develops a sweet-powdery note. In the final drydown there is not much to choose between the 2.
I prefer the EdP as I like the subtle, close scent. However, neither is a perfume I would wear on a daily basis. In view of the other reviews, I would certainly like to sniff the parfum concentration, but will not actively search it out.

mymlan

Actually, I think the EDP is sweet. Yes it is very green but also sweet like a big bouquet of lilies of the valley and some other goodies tucked into it: A green sweet bouquet.

The perfume on the other hand is dark, earthy, mossy, spoungy, damp with a bit of harshness from mouldering wood. Like a walk in the forest in the autumn, when everything is on the verge to be overblown. Both are erotic beauties but also different.

The edt is still untested :) And I would alos love to try a vintage in any concentration.

jae
jae

This is oh-so pleasantly sharp and green, almost slicing through the air before the powdery notes kick in to soften it up with such a classic, luxurious feel. The opening appeals to me - WOW. The dry-down is one of the most plush drydowns I've ever witnessed. The skin test mimicked the paper test. I was very impressed and surprised. I'm having a very difficult time trying to figure out how this could ever have been considered harsh, unless it was sprayed like air freshener.. lol
I'm also not understanding why this wasn't re-released as a unisex fragrance. It certainly wouldn't be a detriment to its marketability. When I tested this one out today, a woman nearby commented on how wonderful I smelled and asked me which cologne I was wearing.. I pointed to the bottle and her eyes almost popped out of her head. Yeah, I'm finally a Chanel fan.

sofiii
sofiii

No.19 (Parfum) smells like lush vegetation, really green, no flower at all in the beginning. The vegetation is more to a opulent, round end instead of the sharp crispy end.

Then it becomes more powdery, as in cool violet powder/waxy way, still no sweetness at all. Later on some dusty powder notes joins in and it is really close to skin. Soon after this phase, it starts to bloom! To me it smells elegant, still cold, but much less mean than before. It is in a refined cool way, something like talc/baby powder kinda cold freshness emits.

The dry down has a little bit weird but still nice rubber-like undertone, which is quite Chanel.

The EDT has a sweeter and fresher opening than the parfum. The vegetation is more crispy and young in a slightly more optimistic way. Soon I can smell some floral hint, something like Anais Anais’, but rounder and refined and the floral notes just gets better and better with time. Like a discreed rose plus cleanness of lily-of-the-valley. It makes me think that it could be what a little elegant white chiffon dress smells like. Similar to the parfum, it is close to skin but the EDT has better projection.

However, the dry down of EDT version makes me feel sick, it’s like leather plus rubber and I’m not a fan of leather notes.

Chanel No.19 is wearable because it’s really quite and close to skin, but to me, it lacks some kind of warmth I want. Not my cup of tea, but I’m sure it would suit some independent business guru in a meeting.

vetiver
vetiver

I had it, i wore it for a while, and got tired of this..metallic..sharp...green..weird smell..is it the galbanum??? not romantic, nor sensual, just...weird. It is elegant though, it smells expensive, not in a nice way, but ..like an old rich lady who doesn`t care about finding a man because she has herself and her money.

eilismaireg

EDT:Gin and tonic followed by a thin green grassiness on my skin. Not unpleasant but slightly 'mean'.
EDP review - this one smells so much lusher and more beautiful. I enjoyed wearing it and felt that rather than being an unfriendly scent it was actually rather cosy! It brought to mind the Queen of Narnia when she sits in her carriage in white furs with the green shoots of spring peeking up around her. I want it!

Lady Love
Lady Love

The first 5 min of this fragrance, is like smelling tons of old and putrefaction green leather shoes. Sooo intense and overwhelming.

Then after a while Chanel 19 delivers a more calmer green scent, but I Still Don't Like it. Bores me... Sorry Gabrielle but I prefer smell flowers instead of this green piece of plastic. I Would Have loved to smell a Green ''Coco'' (1984) version. Is a pity that the years doesn't match.

Elue
Elue

I kept testing this for a while because I was reading fabulous reviews about it from its admirers. Every time I tried this, I felt like a color-blind person. It was like listening to people talking about wonderful colors and being unable to see any of them! There are so many great comments about its greenness, its " complex beauty" and how it is the only great GREEN fragrance of all time.

Wow, I am not able to get any of these. All I smell is soap mixed with dust and some aldehydic notes. I am sorry that I can't appreciate this one.

orangepoppy
orangepoppy

DELEATED IN PROTEST
- Taking a stand against Fragrantica’s editing

Beautiful_Scent
Beautiful_Scent

I love trees, forests and the countryside. I love Chanel 19!

Like any good perfume, Chanel 19 has got the power to take me on a rushed secret journey to the heart of mother nature and then allow me to relax and recharge my batteries in the middle of all that gorgeous greenery.

Wood, leather and wild flowers, it's just a mesmerising potion!
Determined, stubborn, feminist, opinionated, free and wild...this is the woman I see behind this scent.

No offence, but you got to be more than just a pretty face to put up with this fantastic juice. Not for the squeamish.

guest_piazza dei signori
guest_piazza dei signori

I 've got to say this. Many years ago i bougth this and it was big success of a scent. A serious, important, delightful, elegant, sparkling, green scent. Potent and long lasting on my youthful skin, made me feel a sophisticated young woman. Made me feel kind of unique because there weren't many girls who wore that perfume those days and i wasn't smelling it that much on grownups either. I don't want to repeat the notes. I want to say that even that, isn't the same anymore. I don't think my skin chemistry has changed that much. I don't want to say that it isn't anymore a good perfume which mantains some percentage of its passed glory, it's still a descent scent. But it's less dense, more weekened, has less character, like if it has lost something of its personality. I still want to were it, but it's like a love that lost it's stregth. 21.22

Walking barefoot through a dark forest at the dawn of civilization or, as Rousseau would say, avant la chute. Chanel No. 19 is a paradoxical artifice, creating, as it does, an illusion of untouched nature. Muddy earth, squishy mushrooms and wet spongy moss are massaging my feet as I walk. Dew is dripping from the shadowy leaves of trees far above.

A primordial scent which renders all words irrelevant, pure pretense and mendacity, No. 19 somehow leads the wearer back to the time before man invented sin. The epitome of nakedness adorned to re-create a simulacrum of nakedness. Rather like the manmade myth of Adam and Eve. Approach with caution...

mymlan

In a clearing in the deep forest a group of half-dressed women are singing and dancing. In their arms there are flowers: irises, jasmine twigs, roses, hiacynts and lilies of the valley. They are all intoxicated from the abundance of flowers, and the wet fruity smell from the forest surrounding them. They are even walking over the flowers, crushing iris petals, stems and roots under their naked feets without noticing it. Some clothes are already on the ground, a veil of sunbeams is finding its way through the crowns. (edp)

Dionysus himself is standing aside, drinking his wine and watching the women and their act, without them knowing. There is an odour from him: mossy, earthy, green with a hint of iris root, woods and warm racily skin. It's a dark odour although he is such a bright minded nature. An intoxicating odour that is finding its way into the circle of dancing women, leading them to extacy. (perfume)

7Hills
7Hills

This is my choice for "if you could only have one fragrance- what would it be?" category. My friend in high school accidently spilled a sample vial on me in the 1970s. Ive been in love with it since! Its sophisticated, urbane, crisp and light. It reminds me of a walk in the forest with Catherine Deneuve. The main problem is that it doesnt last very long on me. I spray it on my clothes and Im in heaven for hours! No one has ever objected to it at work ( like so many other cloying oriental or heavy florals I've worn). My first spray bottle of #19 was a gift from my dad. I felt so "classy" and I think thats the memory I keep to this day.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

OMG! I just love this one...But ONLY the vintage juice. I know they reformulated it, and it is just not the same, never will be. How can I ever forget reaching for that solid, heavy, cool metal bottle on my best-friend's night stand. To me, it symbolized sexuality, elegance, and maturity. I would still love a bottle of the older stuff. I long for those "coming of age" memories and the scent that goes along with them.

lisaanz
lisaanz

Almost bitey at first, sharp fresh and so greeeeeeen smelling, but give her a few minutes and she becomes lovely and powdery, so classic and she lingers on me and my clothes.
I really love that old world kind of thing Chanel has going on- so different and delicious after the seemingly endless parade of fruity floral/sweetie gourmand/celeb scent you find these days.

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

Realistic , not really aggresive, rounded but edgy , down to earth , Green , soft , elegant & feminine scent. for green floral lovers , the most delicate moss-vetiver & leather summer scent i have smelled .
Certainly one of my favourites with unbeatable earthy floral Chanel-y powdery drydown ,,, No19 is a Cold green summer Luxury.

HOPE007
HOPE007

I do not at all like this fragrance, was given as a gift. My favorite is really no. 22... beautiful. No.19 smells very very woody and earthy. Too green in my opinion. Almost more manly IMO. Even my husband could not stand this. Sadly I wanted to like it, everyone writes such raving reviews and I am pretty openminded (with the exception of Taboo, and Angel - ugh)but this is just no

jellybeantree
jellybeantree

Oh no, this is the chanel frgrance I like the least, its very green and strong in the beginning then it tames itself and it smells dated on my skin. I prefer cristalle and every other chanel fragrance , even though I can't wear chance I still appreciate it. This is just too green and powdery on me. I will pass.

l'essence
l'essence

beautiful. The other reviewers have described no 19 so well - green, dewy, classy, elegant and yet with many different dimensions, but this is the antithesis of cheap smelling to me - crisp sometimes but never sharp or sickly. During the day and it makes me feel fresh but interesting. I keep coming back to it, although I don't think the parfum lasts as well as it used to.

allegro_barbaro
allegro_barbaro

It has taken me a long time to write a review for No.19 even though I have been wearing it for years. To me, it has been a vary hard perfume to pin down. Just when I think I know it, another facet reveals itself. It seems to change depending on the weather, time of day, my own skin etc. This changeability is something that seems to be lost in modern perfumery, as linear formulae give it all to you straight up for fear that you would buy something else (metaphorical or what!). Well a little complexity and reticence suits both perfume and women and No.19 suits me.

guest_luce115
guest_luce115

I just love no19. Every time I wear people say it smells great and ask what perfume it is. My only disappointment is I am unable to get the deoderant spray which I used as a body spray .I hope this is not the beginning of the range being recduced or even discontinued.

Halvah
Halvah

Generally I don't really love Chanel fragrances, No5 is an exception, but No19 is a love or hate for me. I think it's one of the most unique and classiest fragrances, but wearing it is a different story for me..... It's green all right, but the leathery notes make it very dry and way too far from a "natural" scent on my skin. Unfortunatelly it never smallows on my skin it just stands out even at the end of the day, I'm aware all the tme what I'm wearing and I mean this in a bad way. I would say it's for dominant, self-consious, but very feminine and elegant women.

milena
milena

I have the edp and it simply smells fresh, green,clean, and believe it or not, quite sexy and elegant.Another classic.

amelie
amelie

Green, soft and sharp at the same time, fragrance that is truly worthy of respect. So harmonious, No.19 - long awaited, although never high on my wish list, such a distinct fragrance that is impossible not to recognize. EdT is far easier to wear than demanding EdP, wonderful, yet so calming perfume.
But I must admit when it comes to green-Cristalle is my favorite.

Lyndy Hop
Lyndy Hop

This Chanel classic is one of my all-time favorites and if I could choose only one perfume, this would be it. It doesn’t last long on my skin, but lives a life well over a couple of days on my clothing and hair. One does have to be a fan of bright floral greens to fully appreciate its beauty. It has an intensely sharp, fresh, crisp beginning, but after several minutes it develops into a rich, elegant blend of the softest mosses and flowers and, on me, just the slightest hint of leather. But, what I find most comforting about Chanel No. 19 is the subtle, yet exquisitely floral, soapy, powdery dry-down that lingers for days (again, mostly on my clothing).

A word of warning: No. 19 is the complete antithesis of sweet, fruity, or gourmand scents, so beware, faithful fans of the latter; you may recoil from this one! I have (and love) the EDT version, but have heard that the EDP and Parfum versions are nowhere near as sharp. Evidently, the EDP and Parfum are either unavailable in the U.S. or just ridiculously hard to find, as I have yet to sample either.

falovalo
falovalo

Way green and way sharp. This smells cheap and strong, what I'd imagine a lady of easy virtue to smell like. I know Chanel is THE house of choice for many, but I just can't see (smell) anything in this that I like or enjoy.

EvilWhiteSnake
EvilWhiteSnake

beautiful, refined, delicate, strong, expensive.

azuriiita

"it is one of the most delicate interpretations of leather you'll encounter"... Im agree with you debbborra; the leather note inside this fragrance its pretty delicate... and beautiful. Leather unmistakably for delicate and confident women

woodlandwalk

Haha, the you tube ad above is rather cringeing. I like no 19. I used to wear it, weirdly, in my student days - deep down yearning for stability perhaps, because it's a classic perfume

I particularly like oak moss and iris. It must be all the outdoor adventures I've had which I associate with happy times.

If you look into perfumery more closely you discover that they actually can't get a true match for flowers - a distillation obviously changes the original quality, so what they do is take a chemical 'photo' of the fragrance and reproduce that

I see this as a comfort scent because it's calming and green. It isn't harsh to my nose but it does have a dry down that's very lady-like - a little too lady-like for me sometimes when I want something a little more lush or rough

Can anyone recommend me a perfume that's green, mossy and woodsy, yet soft, contemporary, feminine and not sharp? Maybe a tiny touch of vanilla and rose?

MoietToi
MoietToi

I like this one alot. It smells like a field filled of loads of green grass and flowers blooming in spring. While it is a sweet fragrance it does not turn out overly sweet on me. Which is what I truly like about this scent.

I've never had any luck with Chanel fragrances and I definitely didn't fall in love with Chanel No.19 when I tested it today in the fragrance department.

Green is an excellent word to describe this scent. It's a mixture of wet sand, freshly cut grass and alfalfa sprouts to my nose. Something that I adore in nature but not on my skin.

This fragrance is fresh yet sharp and quite soapy. Although the floral notes are present in this fragrance, they aren't soft and feminine like other Chanel perfumes, instead they are sour and overpowering.

In the drydown I sensed the familiar soapy/powdery notes that are present in every single Chanel fragrance I've tried. I could easily pick a Chanel fragrance out of 100 other scents with my eyes closed.

I don't entirely dislike this scent; I do admire its individuality and freshness, however I'm more attracted to florals and sweeter scents. The lasting power is excellent, but that is to be expected from Chanel. On the right person this scent could be very distinctive, sophisticated and unique.

debbborra
debbborra

The bottle sat on a shelf for 12 years. Before I even mention the juice I want to say that the silver packaging is smart.

Everyone knows that it is classic and green. I'm not sure that everyone knows it gets better on your skin. Or that it is one of the most delicate interpretations of leather you'll encounter.

The top notes are not quite startling, but they verge on it. You get a big whiff of flowers right out of the gate. then it settles in to something that is just blended elegance.

There is a reason this is a classic. Unlike many of the classics however, this is easy to wear. It blends the best of classic perfumery with the clean lines of modernity.

Spring25
Spring25

I love this fresh green woody fragrance! I agree there is a coolness about it, but it's not a closed-off indoor scent. To me it is more like enjoying a walk outside on a crisp early Spring morning. My husband is quite an outdoorsman and enjoys it too. There's nothing cheap about it. It's mature, classy and refined - definitely one of my favorites.

Mals86
Mals86

I adore 19! I like the sharpness of the green opening; I really like the rose-jasmine-muguet of the heart; I love the leather-wood-vetiver* of the base, which lingers on me for hours. Like all Chanels, this is elegance in a bottle (that iris!), but this is one of the few Chanels that I really enjoy wearing. It feels very professional and empowering, and although I am usually a floral devotee, No. 19 feels like "me."

*Note: I prefer the older formulation. The new stuff (the new EDT is bright green) lacks the leather hint.

Wildeparker
Wildeparker

Tessture said something interesting - that people who can't wear any other Chanel perfume like No19. This comment struck a chord with me. I can't stand No5 or Coco - but I love No19. Quite simply, it smells like a vibrant, green forest.
I preferred the very lightest version of the scent. Even the EDT was too strong for me so I bought the deodorant spray which was perfect. To be fair I was 17 at the time so maybe an older person would prefer a heavier version. I found the spray very convenient to keep in my bag while traveling.

nikornplay

very effective in cold air.
It give a sense of green fresh floral with gentle spice oil. wearing this no.19 I feel really good and confidence.

guiwings
guiwings

I tried this one yesterday and it was so disapointing :(

It´s to green, almost acid to my nose. Yes it's true that after some time this perfume starts to smell lighter, but it's not what I had in mind at all.

nikornplay

yes I am a man who fall in love with this bottle.
I had test it last year.in my memory "nice clear clean PAPER" that what I love .so so clean

Now I win one of this no19 from e bay.

Aldehydic greens fade to pure, unadulterated bugspray on me. This one does not work at all with my chemistry, but if you cannot wear any other Chanel, I'm betting this is your baby.

Taliera

This is the only Chanel scent that I like. And it is the only green scent I would buy. Why? Because it is so beautiful, and the most complex green fragrance I have ever found. It is also cool and refined - for someone mature - whether that be in age or demeanor.

Misirlou
Misirlou

Gorgeous, sophisticated, fresh. I've been wearing this on and off since I was about 17 - now the EDP although I'm thinking of going back to the EDT as it suits me better. The body lotion is lovely too for a lighter effect!

azuriiita

green, clear, diaphanous... delicacy and forceful at same time... nice for fresh days and to stay in a sensation of calm and certain way. It's a particular fragrance to peaceful and nice woman :D (i guess) ...

Nuppu
Nuppu

I find it harsh, sharp and annoying, like something rotting plants in a autumn forest. After couple of hours of tooth grinding I did have to srcub it off. But this was EDT, so EDP might be something else.

soirdelune
soirdelune

One of my all-time favourites; a really beautiful perfume for those who like green scents. I note that the text above speaks of an 'aggressive' green note: I would say that this applies more to the EDT than the EDP. For me, the EDP cannot be beat: fresh but powdery, settling into layer after layer of flower, leaf and wood. A good everyday perfume for a cool and independent professional woman.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Timelles and exeptional. Seemingly Chanel 19 is cool, keeps oneself at a distance...but why, in that case, this perfum so very please men? All!

jeca
jeca

Green and sharp, but not so sharp as Crystal.

2007

Chanel N°19 by Chanel 3.88 out of 5 based on 1346 ratings and 195 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Chanel N°19 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Chanel N°19, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chanel N°19 by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chanel N°19 by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.