Designers » C » Floral Green « Groups

Chanel No 19 EDP Chanel for women
dislike

I have it: 721 I had it: 261 I want it: 592 My signature: 41

Chanel No 19 EDP Chanel for women Pictures

Number 19 in the name refers to the birth date of Coco Chanel, August 19. The perfume was launched in 1970 when Coco Chanel was 87 years old, a year before she died. It was created by Henri Robert, a perfume creator which created many other perfumes of the Chanel house.

Number 19 Eau de Parfum is a floral-woody-green fragrance, a white and green floral harmony. It is a unique blend of light-heartedness and sophistication, not simply a different concentration, but an olfactory reinterpretation, which is faithful to the spirit and base notes of the original composition. Top notes: green notes and bergamot. Heart: rose and iris. Base: vetiver, oakmoss and leather.

Available as 35, 50 and 100 ml EDP. Chanel No 19 EDP was launched during the 1980's.

Neroli Bergamot Green Notes

Chanel No 19 Poudre

Chanel No 19 EDP Fragrance Reviews

Maodo
Maodo

Good stuff. But I love the EDT better. It's more brutal, more harsh, more me!

arzacu

Alexis Carrington in a bottle... that's all I can say about this gem.

<3 <3

Pluie
Pluie

It just doesnt stay on my skin. It dissappears completely. Its like its pure alcohol. But I bought it at Chanel. I dont understand.

risarii
risarii

This is the only predominantly Iris fragrance I like. I really dislike Prada's Infusion d'Iris. Typically, iris fragrances are too soapy for my taste. This one however is beautiful. It's still Iris, of course, and a bit soapy but it's much more complex. It's green and floral and powdery. It smells very expensive (as it should!) and "clean" without being boring. I would say it's feminine--it's feminine to me--but anyone can wear it. It's not girly. The perfect word I can think of to describe it would be "graceful."
I've liked nearly every Chanel I've tried (the only ones I dislike or Coco Mademoiselle and Chance Fraiche.) and this one is no exception. It's beautiful and I don't find it cold at all. It's great for Spring. :)

Pentecostal Smell Good
Pentecostal Smell Good

This is not a masculine or feminine fragrance at all.
It just smells so good. Everytime I smell it I feel as if I'm taking a walk in the woods right after a rainfall. Moss is hanging and swaying in the trees from the gentle breeze that is blowing. The breeze is also blowing the left over drops of rain out of the trees and they are landing all over your leather jacket that you arte wearing. There is also some wild flowers in the distance, but their aroma is very subtle and subdued.

No 19 is not something I tell I'm wearing. I want to, but being in Texas and wearing anything marketed for women is social suicide. My pastor's wife actually said I smelled amazing and she has never said anything about a fragrance that I had on.

This fragrance is an EDP so I usually don't wear it unless it is going to be cool weather or I just want to wear it extremly bad. Another reason to wear it once very other month is the price of it. But, if I could afford it, I would wear it everyday and have the Parfum and Eau De Toilette right beside it.

I will purchase this again!

Orjen
Orjen

I see odes written for this fragrance and it's not that I don't get it, I do, but the poor lasting power is a deal breaker for me. I would never for the life of me go to the bathroom seven times a day to refresh my scent and most certainly wouldn't do that with a EUR 100 bottle of perfume.

Indeed, it is an interesting one. It goes through all the changes in the textbook, through the entire pyramid of notes and shows the mastery of its creator. During the first seconds it smells very pungently of carrots to me. Never have I been so sure about a scent before. Carrots. Then it becomes that powdery feminine mess typical of Chanel and eventually it fades into a green delicate note. It is special. It is signature scent material. I get it. But I am sitting here 2 1/2 hours later and I don't smell it anymore, it has nearly disappeared from my wrist. It's just not worth the price tag in my opinion.

ceecee474
ceecee474

This is the most beautiful, perfect fragrance I have ever smelled! I was expecting something sharp and bitter, but it's lovely, sweet, grassy and crisp. I don't have words adequate for a review of this! It's light, but enveloping, and there's this euphoric and shimmering feel to it that I can't explain. I must smell something very different from lots of reviewers because to me this is one of the most feminine scents around. I feel like I'm in heaven. No more words.

lizzie81
lizzie81

This is, I would have to say probably my all time favourite fragrance. I adore this heavenly indiscribable scent. This is the perfume for me that all others are compared to and it will always be my 'signature' I should imagine. I stumbled on this lesser known sister of no 5 several years back and was intrigued. It doesn't get half of the attention of no 5 which I think is a shame as it's absolutly stunning. I love no 5 but no 19 to me is more delicate, more complex and more surprising. I think the thing is that it doesn't smell so appealling in the bottle, hence most people pass it up for the classic. This one absolutly depends on skin to reach it's full potential, it turns into something quite different.

I only wear this on special occasions now (my bottle is getting low) or if I really need a pick me up. When i wear this its like I've gone back in time to the streets of Paris in say 1920s,(even though it wasn't made till the 70s it has that old worldy feel) elegant, confident, feminine, slightly powdery and just oozes class and substance. Very unique and very chanel i adore my No.19.

I have heard some people say it's a 'cold' fragrance but in my opinion this simply isn't true (not the EDP anyway) to me this is very feminine and comforting and no, the last type of person I associate it with is a hard/cold business woman (yes I have heard it described to me for that 'type') whatever that type is... but I digress, for me there is nothing cold about this beauty. Once it is given the chance to melt into the skin it is soft, powdery, floral, ultra feminine and yes, of course contains that beautiful Chanel/classic french perfume scent. If i have one gripe its that the lasting power is not so great on me (is anyone else having this problem? is it me or did it used to last longer?)

arxsyn

This version is the one I crave now that it is summer. It is a full fledged, complex perfume compared with citrus based ones that don't last too long on skin. an alternative to the juicy, "pink" or tropical frilly floral affairs that are so common.

the large amounts of vetiver, known as cooling grass is cool, earthy, woody with sweet hay like and powdery facets when supported by iris and other flowers. lends an outdoorsy feel. The soapy quality is clean, crisp and refreshing in such warm weather. Oh, and the leather could be equated with something equestrian. And I would like to stress again, this is a perfectly unisex perfume!

I see jackie Kennedy Onassis in my mind's eye..... It isthe scent of both business and leisure. After a few rounds of golf and a luncheon with some very important people she is relaxing on a luxury yacht wearing her sunglasses, sleek signature bob, leather loafers, navy shorts, crisp white blouse, sweater thrown over her shoulders for warmth.

The dry down is my favourite stage of the perfume because loses the polite, haughty, chilly tone with a warmer, sensual side thanks to a creamy and smooth sandalwood. Just a hint of the oriental family because this chypre has no labdanum in it. Ahhh... I just cannot stop smelling myself when it gets there. Very woody/woodsy, subdued florals, a breath of moss... The effect is like standing in a meadow of green grass and flowers inside a forest clearing.

I have yet to try the toilette but iimagine it to be dryer, more bitter and intensely green due to galbanum in the opening. I don't smell it here at all.

wendyangeln
wendyangeln

SKIN. CHEMISTRY.

I have sniffed No 19 at every single Chanel counter I have ever been to for YEARS. always just sniffing the sprayer, thinking it was fresh and gorgeous, but too sharp, too crisp, all lines and angles, too green to go on my skin. It always got loaded on a tester strip and flung in my bag - nearly all my purses smell vaguely of 19.

Today, I left the house without perfume on (horror of all horrors) and all I had in my purse was a rollerball of Chloe EDP, which I just could not face today. So I swung by my friend's store to get a few spritzes of 19 Poudre, my current works-any-day fragrance. Absentmindedly, I picked up the wrong bottle, and I suddenly had four sprays of Chanel No 19 EDP all over me.

I panicked. I thought, oh no oh no, it'll be too strong and too stark and I have a meeting omg omg. I drove with the windows down to try and get it to waft away.

A 30 min drive later... I got to my meeting smelling like perfection. I'm about to use an unexpected word on 19: creamy. Creamy! Were you even ready?! Were you ready for me to call it CREAMY, of all things? Something (I'm pretty sure it's the sandalwood) has softened the edges on my skin, and turned it into everything I had ever wanted it to be. It's green, yes, and it's cold, yes, but it has no 'bite' on my skin. I am so amazed. It's not a hug, but it's a kiss on the cheek. I expected it to be a blank stare.

Elegant and aloof, I feel like maybe 19 is one of those perfumes (or women) who appears cold and unyielding, but warms to a select few, in confidence, with that modest sillage she's got. As for longevity, still on my wrists faintly, and still on my shirt very noticeably, 7 hours later.

I went back and bought 100mls right after.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I love Chanel 19 in all its flankers, but I can see what they've done with the EDP - there's a far more powerful vetiver to make up for less oakmoss (which as you all probably know has been restricted).

I'd recommend trying the vintage if you want to know the true character of No 19 eau de parfum. The original drydown was the most hauntingly lovely oakmoss/woodsmoke perfumeyness.

On my skin this edp dries down to straight vetiver. Not good enough, if I want that I'll buy myself Encre Noir pour homme!

There's a little of the original character here, but I'll be seeking vintage.

Sillage low to moderate, longevity in terms of vetiver, very good.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

"U cioci na imieninach..." sorry guys, I guess I'll never understand the phenomenon of 19, although today I tried one more time... I don't give up easily;)

tanya.tang.397
tanya.tang.397

Personally I prefer green smell perfume, this one doesn't disappoint. It dried down to a leather smell, but not the nasty wet leather but a nice dry one. I feel refresh wearing it.

Phantosmia Bella
Phantosmia Bella

Every woman looking for a classy, ultra feminine allure needs a Chanel, right?

Sadly, all the Chanels I've tried were too much for me - too heavy, too sweet, too... too everything.

Then came No.19.
A love from first sniff.
Classy. Elegant. Feminine. Witty. Beautiful in every way possible.
Not a flowery scent, yet you can detect the flowers. I can also feel something soapy in it, in a luxurious way.

I love it so much, yet I don't wear it enough.
I should treat myself to some of it soon :)

Longevity and sillage are very good.

theprincess
theprincess

pure class!

Lucy Peach
Lucy Peach

This is unique. No.19 smells different each time I try it. Mostly I like it for its green notes and crispness; understated elegance. But occasionally I dislike it as it's also got this bitter earthiness about it initially. The other day it reminded me of an old ashtray. Is the perfume 'off' or is it me? Judging by all the rave reviews of this classic, probably me....

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I was really excited about trying this - a cold, iris-based, different Chanel - ticking lots of boxes for me. I nearly bought it blind and am so glad I didn't. I was really disappointed when I sprayed some in the store and it just smelt like... Chanel. That powdery buzz they all give off. Yes, it was less sweet, more green than the others, but unmistakably Chanel. If you like the Chanel perfumes then you will probably like this. I don't and I didn't. In fact, the smell from my wrist put me off my lunch and coffee and ended up giving me a headache.
I can tell you it lasts at least 6 hours (until I showered it off) and that the sillage is (too) strong.
Sorry to all Chanel perfume fans - à chacun son goût.

Chantal

asher.jessie, I completely agree.

MrBigBigToe, that was the most negative positive review of a fragrance I've come across in a long time. Though you're saying you like the perfume, you've somehow managed to impart your positive thoughts on it in the most offensive way. I don't know if you meant to, but it came off as sexist and intolerant to homosexuals.

Just to be clear, a homosexual man is NOT a woman. He's simply a homosexual man, unless he chooses to identify otherwise.

I urge you to adjust your comments out of respect for others. Of course, it is an open forum, so it is up to you in the end.

pinktoe
pinktoe

I want want want this!!! It's so nice and subtle and fresh and elegant and... I'm out of words here...All I know is that I want to be on a green cloud surrounded by freshness and powder. It's the perfect balance between crispness and comfyness (if that's even a word). I'll save every cent until I can get it. And then I'll tell you how heaven looks like from my green cloud.

Edit: Happy mother's day!!!! My lovely husband and kids got this beauty for me. It's all I dreamed it would be, green,fresh,classy, powdery. I'm happy!!!

asher.jessie

MrbigbigToe: You really need to brush up your intelligence and come into the 21st century. The backwardness of your review gave me heartburn, since you insist that masculinity and femininity are solely black and white.

Fragrances don't have genitalia. And if you insist that they do, you probably shouldn't use beauty products.

Effluves
Effluves

Un chef-d'oeuvre, a masterpiece... The true smell of elegance and sophistication. To me,it's a bit intimidating ( I sometimes feel I'm not elegant enough to wear it ) but I wear it anyway !

I love the green and woody base notes, but it's the leather that got me hooked. I'm addicted...Totally and utterly addicted !

LizzieBea
LizzieBea

I adore this perfume. It's a very sophisticated, crisp floral. The first blast hits you with iris and green notes. That settles into florals and moss with the bite of the iris jumping up every few minutes. Tres elegant!

brettashley
brettashley

Guh, I can't with No. 19. This - this is too beautiful. I don't wear it as much as I should, not through any fault of the perfume, but because I find myself lacking - a perfume like No. 19 deserves well-designed dresses, lipstick, and the cool click-clack of heels, not me and my wild uncombed hair and busted up Chucks. This one I spray just so I can sit around and feel like I've gone to heaven - this is iris and vetiver and oak moss and leather at its best, all cool greens and sophisticated beauty. This one I hold onto and sniff and hoard because it's reached some disturbingly perfect pinnacle of perfumery, and I like to be reminded of what that smells like, even if I can't always wear it. Sometimes, when I'm feeling maniacally confident, I'll spray it on and spend all day feeling smug. ("Yeah, that's right, that gorgeous smell is me. Soak it up, bitches. Why was I so scared of wearing this again?") And then I'll wash it off, and become plain ol' me again with my snarly hair, and it'll take me weeks to work up the courage to reach for No. 19 again.

Normal reaction to perfume? Probably not. But I love it.

Chantal

No.19 is gorgeous and unexpected. Knowing now what it smells like, I can't understand why this isn't one of the big staples for Chanel, the likes of No.5 or Mademoiselle. Then again, Allure also gets overlooked I find, and that's one of my most loved fragrances.

No.19 is soapy-fresh, green, with a faint twist of that metallic thing that Chanel always seems to give off to a small degree. What surprises me the most is the smoky note. It's like tobacco. It's oddly amazing, tempering the fresh green-ness. It smells like the most feminine, soapy, pure-floral that my grandma owned - with a drop of naughty. It's super addictive. The whole thing ends up smelling reserved but overtly feminine, with a twist of masculinity in there just for contrast and confusion. Somehow, it all holds together and makes for a light, inoffensive perfume that shocks at closer inspection. It seems at first glance like something to wear with a wool blazer and pearls, but really it just begs for the "shock me" vibe of a little black dress - a well-behaved perfume begging to be let loose for an evening of scandal and desire.

It's unforgettable. And what's more, I crave it. Even when I'm wearing another perfume, all I can think of is how incredible it would smell with a tiny spritz of 19 alongside it... I'm hopelessly hooked, and I just don't understand why there isn't a full page No.19 ad at the back of every beauty magazine...

iamaround
iamaround

No.19 EDP opened green but not as sharp as I expected. There is definitely a lot of woody notes that I pick up, especially vetiver at first and then more oak moss as No.19 develops.. but the chypre that I get is never too sharp. In the drydown No.19 is green powdery and woody leather on me.. very classy, sophisticated and unique..

I've fallen in love with Chanel no.19 EDP. Where have you been all my life? You are masterpiece and perfection.

zzMaja
zzMaja

Tried a sample recently - I must have this ! Wow it is heavenly! I am floating on a cloud. I have wings.

happyscent
happyscent

Chanel No. 19 - edp - this is the only chanel bottle I own :P not even the allure line, though I do not want to dismiss their men's selection altogether I have not yet tried sycomore or pour moinsieur

Chanel 19 its harsh green-citrus scent, this is another fragrance hard for me to detect the notes; the middle on this are flower notes which comes and goes; the base and drydown the greens are less harsh and then the drydown becomes grass/wet grass or moss

Masculine qualities of chanel no. 19, strong sometime harsh but always knows what it want to say or smell in this case; it has a bugspray note

Personally, I like this type of scents so I bought it full bottle. I was not familiar on the existence of basenotes and fragnatica at that time and their opinion on chanel no. 19 in summary are this -- it is quoted as an aloof, mean, heartless fragrance

However, for me the greens of chanel no. 19 brings a picture of rolling in the forest and smelling the undergrowth of the earth, connecting to it and finding tranquility

This quite luxurious perfume has a lot of green freshness in it. Maybe even too much for me.
I like how even lily of the valley smells elegant in it.
When time passed, it turned really woody and all the freshness what I didn't enjoy that much was gone.
It is elegant in an old-fashioned way.

OlMagnolia
OlMagnolia

I tried so hard to like this perfume but I almost get physically sick when I smell it. There was a time I worked at an office where a co-worker wore it often - it was a baaad day for me when she did. To me it smells like coinage that's been held in your hand too long - an awful metal smell.

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

I finally got this fragrance and really I love it:)
My tips on straight men like myself that are getting this fragrance, be prepared for something different:) I love it, bit remember this isn't some cheap mess from the dollar store so WEAR IT SPARINGLY and you will do fine:)

Many green scents are sour on my skin, and unfortunately Chanel No 19 is not any exception. On me it is pure male fragrance, nothing feminine. It is like a good quality cologne.
However, after some time, heavy woods starts dominating and then, it is really a killer scent! So strong that I could clearly smell it all around inside my car, after few minutes of journey. And I sprayed it only once on my wrist, in a shop, an hour earlier!
I can smell it very well even right now, many hours later, and thank goodness, base notes are much better than woody heart notes.
If your skin is compatible with green scents, try this one. Its longevity is endless, and stillage could kill a horse.

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

My favourite French teacher in high school wore this perfume. I'd smell it as she leaned over my shoulder to check my work. I thought it was the most grown-up, sophisticated scent. We studied Coco Chanel's life as part of French class too, and so the whole thing – the perfume, the language, the air of sophistication that was so determinedly *foreign* – became wrapped together in my memory.

My teacher never told me what it was but I figured it out by visiting department store perfume counters. I used to fantasise about wearing it when I was grown up. Imagine my disappointment when I tried it again in my twenties and it smelled so harsh and green, nothing like the scent of my memories.

But lately I've been getting into iris perfumes, and No.19 is one of the classics. I really enjoy the Poudré so today I thought I'd try regular No.19 to see if my tastes have matured. It begins with a blast of grassy top notes that I found really unpleasant, but imagine my joy when that same gorgeous scent I remember emerged. I don't know if it's the iris or a combination of notes, but it's a wonderful, comforting chord. It's not soft and powdery like the Poudré, but quite distinct and complex in a way I associate with classic 20th-century perfumes.

I'm reminded of my favourite teacher again and the joy I found learning French.

SayakaP
SayakaP

A masterpiece.

No.19 smells like a walk in woods after gentle rain.
The ground is covered with velvet-like moss.
Birds singing near and afar.
The sunlight comes through leaves above and sparkles on dewy little flowers.

I adore No.19's silence.
She's quiet so that she can listen more.

Initial green blast settles down quickly, then Bergamot & lush fresh flowers srround me.
Moist, earthy Moss gradually joins them and stay.....so long!

The most amazing thing about No.19 is the dry down.
In many frag, it gets simple; like 'warm Sandalwood', 'cool Musk', 'sweet Vanilla'...
In No.19, it retains complexity. 12 hours later, I can still smell Lily-of-the-valley, Oak Moss & slightest hint of Leather. It is still composed and expressing No.19's self.

What I wear is EDP.
I love EDT as much. EDT is more Mossy, less sweet. More unisex, I guess.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

I have finally got No 19 EDP, and I couldn't be happier. I know some may say it was way better in the 70's, but still Chanel No 19 is a hell of a wonderful scent even in this latest of versions. I also have the EDT and Poudré versions and one doesn't write the others off. EDT is sharper and thus the most masculine of them all. Poudré is more velvety, soft, pearl like. However, the EDP is gorgeous, galbanum and green notes are fresh, iris is thick and and crreamy and metalic at the same time. Oak moss is also soft, especially being synthetic and well blended. vetiver adds moist and earthiness. The the heart of rose-jasmin-flower notes smells so Chanel. Sometimes I can sense the leather, other times I can't. The citrus accord is noticeable and masculine. All in all Chanel No 19 is a very fine fragrance for ... people. Although the EDT is sharper, EDP is not as feminine as some reviwers have implied. No 19 seems perfect for hot weather. And it is also very discreet because I think it has zero% sugar/sweetness. Wonderful creation by Chanel, even if reformulated.

Annushkalove
Annushkalove

Pure elegance.

deeanna
deeanna

Pour moi, il sent la cire !

Sorry in french. I can't marster english so well. You have so much languages, even chinese, and why not french, as France is the biggest parfumery country !?

ed
ed

This is the only 'female' perfume I own. For sure, No. 19 EDP is less obviously feminine than any of Chanel's other female offerings, which is why I decided to try it. In my opinion, it's certainly more feminine than masculine in character, but it does have some unisex character about it.

Unlike many of my frags, No. 19 clearly has multiple layers. Initially, it is very green; sharp, but fairly mild. You might find yourself thinking 'is that it?'... but it's not. The greem top notes fade and the fresh, slightly powdery flowers start to come through. Personally, I especially notice the rose. Will say more when I've worn it a few times. I don't think I'll wear it to work, I'd prefer something more masculine for that purpose. But on a weekend.... ;)

stacey.donovan
stacey.donovan

Weirdly, I get a little whiff of cigarette in the opening. It's too bitter and unrelentingly green for me. It smells like a powerpoint deck detailing corporate layoffs.

Easybeauty Piazza Statuto
Easybeauty Piazza Statuto

Very similar cabochard grès

Jellybean
Jellybean

Powdery, dry and most importantly GREEN. It has that clean and elegant effect.
It posseses strength and I find it to be a grown up perfume.
Lasts all day, excellent projection.

niamhsmom
niamhsmom

Had this when I was in High School, while all the other girls were wearing drugstore brands. IT was too sophisticated for me but I pulled it off! I didn't think they still made it!

Dominic80
Dominic80

Love is love! One of my very favorite with the real Chanel # 5! These are mystical, dreamy cyphre's! Just classy, and, sensual, and, yes, at the same time!

A work of art.

Simply, but sophisticated at the same time. The only "green" fragrance that smells luxury and complex.

It is fresh, and very sharp at the beginning, and then becomes a classy floral-powdery scent.

This masterpiece can only be worn by someone, who knows what is a Chanel fragrance, it's not just a perfume, not only a luxury or expensive perfume, is more than that...
This one in particular is a whole experience, from the first crispy notes, to the powdery, dry and complex drydown...

For those who think is a "mature" fragrance or a "granny" smell, sorry... it's not...

This is a timeless classic.

BeautifulDynamite
BeautifulDynamite

This was a reluctant buy for me. At first I was thrown off by it's initial smell. But then it morphed into this lovely, floral smell. Not your typical floral mind you, but it was a sophisticated green-floral. Not the dainty English garden, but almost like an Italian meadow filled with irises, mild roses, and lily of the valley...close to an evergreen forest (if that makes ANY sense).

This is the scent I'd wear...if I want something different, if I have a job interview, a difficult exam, or anytime I want to say "I mean business".

Plus 19 is my lucky number. Great scent all around. :)

RozaMoisevna
RozaMoisevna

The drydown reminds me of Lancome Climat or Bill Blass Nude in a way...

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

N°19 EdP is a bit of a shape-shifter. Not a chameleon exactly, because it doesn't adapt to its surroundings, but it changes every day I wear it, though it always smells green. Not a wild forest green, but a cultivated, lady-like garden green.
Some days it's all about green roses. Fresh and tart, but also sweet and even a little bit innocent.
Other days iris is the main player, adding a dry, powdery layer to the fragrance making it quite austere.
The base however, is allways deep and earthy, with its grassy vetiver and damp oakmoss. Despite this earthy base, N°19 never feels heavy or rich. It has an ethereal crispness to it, which makes it very elegant and office friendly.
Though I do prefer the more bitter, astringent, haughty EdT as the "real" N°19, I do think this green, not unfriendly but correct EdP is far more wearable.
It smells expensive and classy. I think it represents the aestethics of the Chanel brand even more than N°5 (which stays my favorite).

asher.jessie

I finally got a chance to smell this fine work of art today, when my package from Chanel came in! I purchased the limited edition 3.4oz EDP, after not being able to find it ANYWHERE. All I could find was that vile, weak Poudre edition.

This fragrance has always been at the top of my wish-list. It's everything I love, all in one. Fresh, sharp, green, herbal, powdery, mature, soft, while still being vicious. I'm known to sport Chanel No.5 on occasion, for those days that are JUST RIGHT in terms of temperature and humidity. Chanel No.5 is definitely an Autumn fragrance for me.

This one seems a lot more versatile to me! I know, without a doubt, that I'll be able to enjoy this beautiful smell in many different types of weather.

The opening is a SHARP, herbal, powdery burst of fresh, tangy GREEN-ness.

Throughout, the composition is dominated by the iris/rose combination, giving a fresh, powdery shadow.

As it settles, there's a sweetness from the neroli, narcissus, sandalwood, and lily of the valley...but they are restrained by a smoky, herbal blend of oakmoss and vetiver.

The excellent blend of bitter and sweet, powdery and floral, herbal and smoky makes this truly out of this world. The scent itself is dramatically similar to the color of the fragrant fluid itself. The photographs show a lively olive-tinted celadon, but in reality, this fragrance is a bit brighter and tad sharper. Rest assured, scent and color match quite perfectly.

EDIT: Now to talk about sillage and longevity. I sprayed this on the second I opened the package, and the bottle was very warm..so it, perhaps, wasn't working at full capacity. Either way, it lasted about four or five hours on me, and the sillage was enough to radiate around me, had I actually walked outside today.

I'm incredibly pleased with this scent masterpiece! It's like Chanel No.5's sharp, witty, but still elegant counterpart!

Carlycakes
Carlycakes

It is all those nice things that are said about it, but I can't smell it on me, and the little that I do, doesn't last...so I won't buy it....I want to enjoy it too....

Amparo Noir
Amparo Noir

I can tell you that this smells good on men too! My husband love this so much, as he owns one for himself. On him, the woody notes seem to be more dominant than the florals.

This lasts on him for 12hr++. :D

noseinheaven
noseinheaven

When I first tried this it reminded me so much of Anais Anais, which I wore all the time in high school. I thought, eh, I'll pass, this it too sweet for me now.
I brought the sample of number 19 with me to France, and I really appreciated having it there. It is so soft and beautiful, very fresh and sophisticated. The weather was misty and cool even though it was June, and this fragrance was perfect. I may buy it since I enjoyed wearing it so much.

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

I have a Chanel 19 vintage at home but it is running out. So I popped by a Chanel counter to test their EDP and see if I'll fall in love the same way.

Without a strong oakmoss component like the vintage, Chanel no. 19 EDP lacks a certain depth and complexity to it. It is a green woody scent that is mildly sparkling. The opening is rather astringent but as it dries down the green florals peek through, giving it a more feminine edge than I'd like it to. The drydown is woody green and bears a certain resemblance to the Chanel 19 I have a home.

Unfortunately, I was far from impressed. The heart and soul of a once beautiful fragrance is little more than a shell now. It is a pretty scent no doubt, but no longer the masterpiece it once was.

I'd buy this, only if I can no longer find a vintage Chanel 19 and am desperate. Or else, it's nothing I'd go back to.

arxsyn

Yesterday I did a skin test of this for the very first time. It was bright sparkling green, woody and vitreous, a little bit astringent and graced with soft sweet powdery florals. Somehow it reminds me of chartreuse liquor. I rather enjoyed the opening, it's very different from most perfumes I've tried. I really like th sweet powder green accord.

Things took a bad turn when I encountered bitter rubbery latex rubber in loud concert with soapy aldehydes (also used to full effect in no 22). It was too aggressive and in my face.I wanted to get away but there's nowhere to run!

It's more of a bad girl than mitsouko! 19 is a harsh mistress indeed. Fantasy character who should wear this?
Cat Woman. Aloof, assertive, cool.
I think this would be great on a man. A man who is looking to be unique.

I need to try the toilette version and see if it works better for me. I love the powder one best so far that remains ever soft sweet and powdery.

frag-overdose

and grace.

This masterpiece is really
an out front,
a scent for the
glorious and adored ones.

MLK
MLK

I love green, woody floral scents and I believe this one is up there with the best of them. I have the edt version and love it also. Every time I go past the Chanel counter I spray on the edp and it lasts all day and smells so sophisticated. I will have to purchase the 100ml bottle very soon.

heartofdixie
heartofdixie

I wish it smelled lovely on me but it is sharp from the start, and then the dry down goes into a strong cedar and I can't stop thinking about my childhood pet guinea pig's cage filled with cedar chips! I have tried this fragrance many times and just wish it would have a soft, lovely dry down instead of the continued sharp, green and woody scent.

Madrin
Madrin

I really don't know what to think of this one. I sprayed it on my wrist almost a year ago and I remember loving it. But now I'm having a hate/like/love-affair with this perfume. It always smells wonderful when you're not smelling it directly on the wrist, but on my wrist it's almost a tearjerker. Very green and woody, and a little bit sharp. It doesn't smell 'clean'. It's a very interesting scent. You have to be in the mood for it.

varykino
varykino

I find the EDP goes on sharper than the EDT, but less in a galbanum-green way and more in a tart, green-rose way. Also, on my skin it seems the EDP has greater longevity but weaker projection than the EDT. The EDP stays close to my skin and blooms into a beautiful deep, rose-iris heart and a long, powdery-soft drydown. It's arrestingly lovely in both of those stages, and while the EDT remains my favourite, it would make me sad to really have to choose one.

I've tried to layer the two strengths — spray the EDT quite liberally first, and then, when it has settled, apply the EDP judiciously on top (just a couple of sprays divided on wrists/neck). With the 19 body lotion as a base, the result wafts gently around me all day long. It really makes people take notice; I've gotten a bunch of earnest 'what smells so lovely?' compliments that way, while wearing the EDP, in particular, on its own tends to go unnoticed. Using the body lotion as a base seems to make a big difference in projection, and its green iris notes complement both the EDT and the EDP wonderfully. Next goal: save up for the extrait...

samer007
samer007

I consider chanel N19 edp a cold, rich, extremely sophisticated masterpiece.
having owned the EDT for a few months and pratically emptied the bottle trying to get longevity and sillage, i bought this one- the eau de parfum.

it's immediately richer though a little less sharp, but it's rounded and so green. Rich iris butter and gorgeous rose heart make for a perfume that oozes class, sophistication. I cant imagine not having N19 around. Oh and i can still smell 6 hours later, but it's now a low key scent... probably the only disadvantage of N19.
5- stars.

mysticgoose
mysticgoose

This is a splendid scent. Strong and assertive. It is a scent for the wearer. No one asks me what I am wearing when I wear it but I am unstoppable when I wear it. If I were a diplomat this would be my go to fragarance. It is a scent that people either love or hate. You also need to wear it a while to get the sense of it. I sprayed it in the stores many times and always passed it up. But it is worth a try. I have the EDP and the perfume. Both splendid. Its dry down is worth waiting for.

alicey
alicey

Sharp, curt and thorougly unrelenting. Great to wear to a business meeting. No. 19 means business!

aveilhe
aveilhe

I am blown away by yet another Chanel!

I am not typically drawn to "green" perfumes -- they tend to be too sour, sharp, or herbal/medicinal to my nose. No. 19 is none of those things.

The aldehyde-neroli top note is tangy, citrusy, and oh-so-fresh. But, it is immediately likeable -- nothing too nose-stinging or potent. Then, the perfume opens into a gorgeous, delicate floral bouquet -- "lighthearted" is the perfect word (from the description above). Sweet, heady narcissus mingles with clean, innocent lily-of-the-valley. This is a pretty, romantic floral composition.

The floral heart is softened and rounded with the addition of soothing and slightly powdery notes of iris/orris and a soft sandalwood. Grassy vetiver injects the entire composition with a hint of fresh "green" that prevents No. 19 from ever becoming too powdery or boudoir-ish.

As with so many Chanels, this perfume is complex yet perfectly balanced: tart, soft, floral, woody, green notes all comingle in an almost indescribable way. No. 19 manages to be somehow bright and soft, invigorating and soothing, all at once.

I am testing this in the EDT, and it is amazingly tenacious. I typically go for the eau de parfum versions when purchasing, but when I buy a full bottle of this (which I definitely will!), I am going to stick with the EDT. I think this concentration is perfect for No. 19: a beautiful, fresh, feminine day-time scent, best suited for spring and summer.

rafaellaR.123
rafaellaR.123

When I tried it, I thought it smelled like freshly-cutted grass... Loved it!!! S2

Midnight50
Midnight50

THIS IS THE BEST PERFUME OF THE COLLECTION NOT TOO CHANGED BUT FOR ME IT IS BETTER THAN THE MORE FAMOUS CHANEL 5. NOT TOO PERSISTENT!

Olia_Aroma
Olia_Aroma

For me it's like shoes with VERY high heels - classy, but uncomfortable.

Matthu_Jewell
Matthu_Jewell

I mix this with Thierry Mugler's "Womanity". If I had a signature scent, it would be the two together.

HazelMae
HazelMae

Meaner and greener compared to the EDT - now I at least sort of get how some consider this to be a shining cold aloof green scent. It has the damp greenness at the heart, but does not convey the crisp iris-vetiver bite of the EDT.

Everybody seems to prefer the EDT, and I'm no exception but I had to experience this given my love for the EDT. I enjoy looking at the green color of this juice in the pretty Chanel glass bottle, and it looks fantastic on my dresser. The EDT juice has more of cooler emerald green shade. The color differences of the formulations correlate perfectly to the differences in the scent.

JoanCrawford
JoanCrawford

I have finally found my signature Chanel scent! I love it, it's very mature. (not a matronly mature, but a sophisticated, demure mature) I blind-bought this and I was really worried that it may have that same, dare I say, "old lady" scent that Chanel No. 5 did, but I was really happy when I spritzed it on and found a very natural, fresh, powdery formula. No. 19 is great for a business woman, it commands an almost soft, but assertive, attentiveness about it. Now, if you're looking for a light greeny fragrance this probably isn't for you. It's very powdery and the green notes are abundant but not necessarily young and Spring-like as you might expect. All in all it is a wonderful fragrance. I think that everyone should have a "vintage" perfume in their collection and I have finally found mine. ;-)

freddinos
freddinos

Green and a little medicinal, something about it reminded me of good quality moth repellant sachets, sorry :/ Not your average mind blowing Chanel, it also lasted only for 3 hours on me (edt)

Charomora
Charomora

When I tested it I went through warm shop, really cold outside (-15C) and very warm inside (+24C). And it didn't work in cold, it almost didn't smell at all. But now that I'm in my warm home, it shows all its qualities.
Very elegant. I agree with fragranticans' map of the scent. I'd also say it's not sensual at all, not a "touch me" thing. Hence I'd use it for more official and/or academic settings, when appropriate.

mereltje
mereltje

No 19 is a really, really nice, fresh, a little soapy, feminine perfume. But I have a vintage edt and it dont have much staying power. After an hour or so its fading away. A real shame...

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Green, leathery, mossy and soapy. This is quite a confident scent, though it's in no way brash or overbearing. It's very level and measured but radiates it's presence very assuredly.
A bit too much leather and moss for me and my boyfriend's comments on how this smelled are better left unsaid!
Though I would add that this appears to be an instance where the EDT and EDP are not so far removed from each other, with the EDT being only slightly cleaner and soapier.

aschiffm
aschiffm

GREEN, fresh, vegetal. Smells like someone threw baby powder on freshly cut grass and vetiver and then passes you by a cool breeze. Very open meadow-ish sprinkled with florals here and there. A bit herbal and cool / sweet . Sometime I catch whiffs of leather and bitterness. It's definitely sophisticated and grown up but with a free-spirit .

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Chanel no.19 is a fresh, woody, green scent. It is not an enigmatic concoction of heady delights, but a rather simple, down to earth and straightforward recipe that spells serenity and calm. The reason it is one of my staples is simply because it does not get sickening on me and is zesty enough to liven up my senses. It is a fairly linear scent (don't expect too many surprises) and admittedly it lacks sillage, but I use it when I need to avoid the nausea inducing spritzs of the sweet and fruity variety. The other positive about Chanel no.19 is it mixes well with other scents for layering purposes (hint: great with ralph lauren safari for a fresh day time scent).

shabbus
shabbus

This is lovely, smooth, elegant and otherworldly. I have a splash bottle, so the act of daubing it on adds to the elegance. Anointing myself, I am ready to glide above it all, serene, secure and confident. The fragrance of a goddess in her ascendancy.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Having tried this at nordstoms I had to wonder if I'm asnomic or does this really not smell like much?

I smelled some green and then gone, nothing but powder in 30 minutes. This at least wasn't Johnson & Johnson's baby powder as it sometimes goes with Iris and me, but it was certainly a very light nondescript talc powder. it was if I hadn't even sprayed myself. (I even went back and sprayed again 3 more times with the EDP!)

Having oily skin most perfumes do tend to stick around much longer, but not this!

But at any rate, its too light for my liking. I even had to ask if anyone else smelled anything, the answer was "you smell like powder"

If all I want to smell like is powder, I can find a CVS and get some powder for a heck of a lot cheaper. If the beginning notes had stuck around, then it would have been great.

I will say of what I smelled of it, it wasn't bad, but lack of longevity killed it for me.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

I am ashamed to say that I did not like this perfume after trying it for the first time yesterday *shame*. It was linear and stale smelling to my nose. I have to admit that I have very dry skin and most of the time green florals are just screaming unpleasantly on me, but I usually have no problems liking perfumes from the 70s... the only part I liked is what it left on my arm after I scrubbed it off in the shower. Hmmmmm... warm sandalwood:)

margien
margien

Recently I got Chanel no. 19 EdP as a present, that I used to have twenty years ago. A bit different than I remember, reformulated of course, but a wonderful fresh perfume. But: poor lasting power. Recently I also bought Chanel no. 5 Eau Premiere. Lovely, lovely perfume. Chanel no. 5 is recognisable but it is a lighter, different version. I really adore it. But, again, the lasting power/longevity is not great, I have to reapply in already two hours. So sad, for an EdP concentration.
I still have a bottle of Coco, EdT, that is fifteen years old (spray). A very strong perfume but with an incredible lasting power. I tried EdT Coco in the shop two days ago and compared it to my fifteen years old bottle: they are comparable in lasting power/ longevity! Perhaps the type of perfume, oriental, is just stronger in base notes so naturally has better staying power than lighter smells like no.5 and no.19....

Natalia78
Natalia78

"When, with closed eyes, on a hot afternoon,
The scent of thine ardent breast I inhale,
Celestial vistas my spirit assail;
Caressed by the flames of an endless sun.

A langorous island, where Nature abounds
With exotic trees and luscious fruit;
And with men whose bodies are slim and astute,
And with women whose frankness delights and astounds.

By thy perfume enticed to this region remote,
A port I see, laden with mast and with boat,
Still wearied and torn by the distant brine;

While the tamarisk-odours that dreamily throng
The air, round my slumberous senses intwine,
And mix, in my soul, with the mariners' song."
Ch. Baudelaire
Les Fleurs du mal

serchina
serchina

This is one of the best green florals out there and one of my favorite Chanels..The combination of rose+iris and the green notes is just perfect. Long-lasting, but not offensive, still soft and elegant, perfect for all seasons and daytime wear..Most perfumes with green notes turn to something sour on my skin, but this one is just a masterpiece with the perfect "green" combo that makes the notes even more powdery on my skin than sour..

Pascale33
Pascale33

My first review for one of the best perfumes ever, my signature fragrance, in edt and edp, I've never tried the parfum unfortunately. Soft, powdery but only slightly (the edt),very feminine, green - it seems even greener in winter, but I love it - a masterpiece which, according to many, has lost some of its depth, leathery notes, probably in the nineties, but it's still a great perfume. It's not overpowering at all, even in edp form, the edt is at its best when the weather gets cooler, according to me, whereas it tends to fade pretty quickly when the temperatures are high (like I'm experiencing today).
Very classy fragrance, a definite must-try if you like galbanum, iris and rose, the rose note being more obvious in the edp, the edt focusing more on iris. Reminds me of L'Heure Exquise, which is Chanel 19 made plusher, a must-try as well.

scenturian
scenturian

One of my favourite from Chanel along with Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles and Coco Mademoiselle.
Does quite good on me as well.
On me is not green at all rather edible very delicious like cookies.
Timeless masterpiece.

Very noble, strict and elegant fragrance!

Most of all I feel the galbanum, neroli, rose, iris, leather, vetiver and moss notes in it.

The May rose note smells really marvelous. The iris note is very noble in this fragrance and it's my favorite iris note in perfumes. The galbanum, vetiver and moss notes smells very calming and remind about a forest scent. In the combination with the neroli note they make this fragrance pleasantly green. The galbanum note in this fragrance is also my favorite galbanum note in perfumes. Finally, the leather note brings more depth to the base of this fragrance.

Despite I love roses a lot and the edt seems to me more rosy, I prefer the edp because it's more powdery and opens on me more complex.

The lasting power of this fragrance is just great. And the sillage smells very chic, natural and without any annoying sweetness.

I really love this floral green fragrance a lot! It's very classy and perfectly balanced.

It was my favorite for a long time, but now I also love Chanel N°5. They both are my favorite fragrances by Chanel.

Truly perfume masterpiece!

HUEbris
HUEbris

I was surprised when I was smell it first time.
It's smells like a soap with cigarette.
But it became tender smell after first notes.
Perfumes of Chanel are always surprising me.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

WOW!!!!!
And that's all that is to say about that one. This has got to be my most succesful blind buy and my new favourite. It's got the WOW factor. I want to bath in this lol in fact so much that I have now ordered bath gel and a body lotion ...my wallet is crying now...ooopppssss

In a way it reminds me of Balenciaga Paris which I aso loved. Hubby just sniffed this on me and his eyes nearly popped out of his head...mmmmmmm

Nickie_Jac
Nickie_Jac

Iris is the central ingredient of this perfume, along with several "new interesting musks". First of all, it's hard to source, because anything can affect the final quality of the oil, including climate and soil. Secondly, processing of iris is very time and labor-consuming process, which lasts a couple of years.I tried this for the first time last year and loved it! I wear it more in the cold months because it is a bit intense. Otherwise I wear the lighter Chanel #19 throughout Spring and Summer.

emfelicio

After having tried it for the second time I confirmed that nº 19 EDP doesn't hold to my skin ... after 20 minutes it's all gone ... sad because I love it!

Baldric
Baldric

Do I like the EDP or EDT better? Why can't I decide?

The EDT opens with a blast of green and is actually a bit smoother, the EDP is a bit sour in comparison, although if one had never smelled the EDT the EDP would probably read as mega green and smooth as well.

The EDT seems to develop more of a focus on the iris in the heart while the EDP picks up more rose to me. Although both are lovely at this time. The EDT seems to also have a stonger leather note to my nose. So far EDT is winning, but then something happens to make the EDP pull ahead.

In the drydown of the EDP, the rose softens, the iris comes out more and it keeps chugging away while the EDT starts to fade. Any sour or screechyness on the part of the EDP is long gone. Wearing each fragrance on each wrist I have to make sure I sniff the EDT first for if I sniff the EDP and then move to the EDT wrist I can't even tell I have anything on.

I love both, perhaps the EDT more, but really I love both. One of my favorite fragrances of all time. Perfect for any occasion and great for when you aren't sure what to wear. Both have that wonderful Chanel quality, strong, long lasting, well made. I like to wear the EDT if I am facing a challenging day and need to stand up for myself. I feel like it will somehow intimidate those around me into bending to my will, but will do it in such a lovely, subtle manner that they won't even realize that they are terrified of me. It's sneaky. I currently am out of EDT and only have EDP and go back and forth about whether it is necessary to have both. Probably only for the avid collector.

Jacster
Jacster

I trawled through the 'quality' perfumes at an upmarket department store today, searching for a new signature scent.

I think I found it.

Update: I secured a bottle of the parfum. It's lovely, but I think on my skin I prefer the EDP (which is most unusual for me).

A question: if you've tried the vintage No. 19 have you found it still fresh enough to wear now??

aditika
aditika

Aaaa... I am screaming with joy that I tried this scent.

Why why why I never tried it before? For years (since I left my country) I was dying to smell a good vetiver scent somewhere. In my country vetiver is used in air coolers and soft drinks so it is easily available anywhere. But it is very hard to find where I live now.

Vetiver has such cooling and earthy properties to it. And no. 19 is filled with Vetiver. You won't believe I could only smell vetiver and dry earth in this fragrance. And I am soo eager to buy it now. This will definitely be my top 5 frag.

Definitely give it a try if you are fond of perfumes, you HAVE to try this scent.

emfelicio

I find Chanel 19 EDP a different/unusual fragrance, but unfortunately it doesn't last on my skin. Can any one recommend me other unusual/earthy fragrances? I've been looking but honestly I find them too sweet and nothing special. Thanks.

Tailor-Made
Tailor-Made

SOOOOOOO CLASSY! Very elegant and feminine. I love it. But unfortunately it doesn't last long on my skin.

Coutureguru
Coutureguru

No19 wins the award (by a very small margin, however) for being my favorite Chanel of them all. I say a very small margin because I adore no5 and also Coco ... but no19 has a subtle air of mystery about it that I see as equally enticing for the 'pearls and pumps' brigade as it would be for the Harley Davidson riding, leather clad rocker chick who takes off her helmet to reveal a mass of auburn shoulder length tresses. The Chanel reformulations are possibly the greatest sin ever committed in the history of haute parfumerie and in the case of no19 it's most evident. The liquid of old was golden green and appeared viscous in the bottle and the longevity was a thing of paranormal proportions. It's still a lovely fragrance, but how I hanker back to the formulation of the 80's ... such a shame.

renperd
renperd

My fairly amateurish nose recognises the quality in most Chanel perfumes, but somehow it's not easy to wear them. It takes a bit of effort, patience and flexibility. No. 19's 'green notes' are what adds to its demanding nature. The quality iris is unmistakable, but hell those green notes are domineering. They make the juice smell like a hard-core snob: unapproachable. I'm looking at Tom Ford's Violet Blonde as an improved take on this type of perfume. Chanel is a snob; long live Chanel...

tonni
tonni

Yes,It's EDP but also light.

Top note is really harsh and sour,like baby powder and chinese herb,then the dry down is powdery and soft mixture with iris and oka moss,just an ordinary and mild green scent,just so so.

cryptic
cryptic

There was recently a comment in the forum about No.19 that called it (I'm paraphrasing) a pretentious perfume for pearl-wearing snobs. As a fan of No. 19, I disagree that there is anything pretentious or snobby about it, but I do recognize that it is a scent that strongly conjures up a certain image. For instance, I associate it with a cool blonde in a chignon a la Grace Kelly in To Catch a Thief.

Any perfume that prominently features galbanum and iris has the potential to come off a bit chilly, but to me, that reserve translates into elegance and dignity -- traits that I consider to be positive and sadly, all too rare these days. Besides, underneath No.19's coolness beats a rosy heart of gold. So, if you enjoy feeling refined, wear your pearls and No.19 proudly and don't let the critics get you down...life's too short!

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

The funny thing about this fragrance is that I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it more than I hate it, lets get real here, but I had a weird experience with it one day. I went to my local DS before class one day and decided to spray this on my wrist. It is a powerhouse - very strong, powdery, and fragrant. By the time I got to class (a good 1.5H later) it had dried down to this musky green powdery goodness. Well, the guy that sits beside me was EXTRA talkative. I do not know if it was the Chanel or if I just looked extra good that day, but he was in a boyish frenzy. So all I have to say to Chanel is, MERCI BEAUCOUP! - C xx

akats
akats

The EDP is in my wish list. Classy and elegant, earthy and sensual. I tested once and it's trail stayed in my watche's bracelet 3 days! I don't know how the vintage one smelled, but edp, is worth buing if you love chypres.

kellybanana
kellybanana

How did I have my first impression on No.19? It's from my history teacher. Can you imagine how's it like in a warm summer afternoon having history lesson in a boring classroom? My (wealthy) history teacher was wearing a very slight scent of some perfume then - with a sharp nose and tired spirit I was uplifted again - only years later I found out it was No.19 that she's wearing.

When I was younger I didn't like No.19 as much as I do now.

Today I'm wearing No.19 myself - surely not to pay a tribute on her LOL but I like the scent on my body on chilly sunny days. It does give me a warm but also green, floral scent. It's like winter is almost over and spring is just around the corner - just standing by at our doorstep and ready to arrive at any minute. Lasting power is also impressive - it lingers on my silk undershirt and seems to go on forever.

oona noir
oona noir

I go back and forth on this one all the time. I love 19 in any form, and the edp doesn't have quite as big a smack on the nose as the edt, BUT... the edp has an edge of nail polish remover on my skin. The sillage is gorgeous, but close to the skin I smell acetone. Neither the edt nor the extrait do this on my skin. Not sure what the deal is and I can't tell if I want this for the beautiful sillage or not. How much will that nail polish smell bug me if I buy a full bottle? (I like to smell my wrists sometimes.) Maybe I'll break someday.

This is Chanel how we know it! Classic, unique, comfortable yet misterious, dangerous and very serious. No.19 is outstandingly timeless with its bitter explosion of sharp green notes, floral patterns and a powdery vibe that is never the same. Anytime you wear No.19 you discover the countless facets of this masterfully crafted composition that is able to be at the same time cold and warm, lovely and aggressive, reassuring and scary as only one great woman can be.

My only concern (if I can call it so) is that in the reformulated version leather is playing a very marginal role while I've been told in the vintage version was way more relevant. Nothing that really changes my mind on this masterpiece, but I will surely do all it's possible to put my hands (an nose) on a vintage bottle. An all time favourite.

Rating: 9.0/10

moynah
moynah

Im a huge Chanel fan, I am a faithful No5 slave - I hadn't come across one Chanel scent I didn't like -- then I smelled No19 -- I was surprised, and quite shocked at my reaction... what a huge disappointment!

I was in such disbelief I put tester strip away, promising to sniff again 30 minutes later, hoping to experience different notes - but no. So sad really. All I experienced was a lot of green, nasty green, chemical green Maybe it would have been different on skin, but no19 isn't up there with the rest, I wish it was though!

Morgane08
Morgane08

A couple of years ago my family bought a bottle of Chanel N5 for my birthday. N5 is one of my mom and grandma's favorite. It was way too strong for me! In the end I exchanged it with a bottle of Chanel N19 with my grandma who does not wear it as much.

This is much more earthy than I usually wear, but the earthy smell goes well with the bergamot. It is definitely fresh compared to N5. I like it but do not use it very often.

Migalex
Migalex

The best Chanel perfume from my viewpoint. Very nice opening, but does not last long and after a while sillage has gone. Very similar to YSL Y in the opening, but Y lasts much longer and has much better sillage than even Chanel n0 19 EDP. I do not understand all this fuss about Chanel. This one is quite nice, but lots of them are not.

poppyvanhaarm
poppyvanhaarm

love it - the best on me, and soooo evocative of the early seventies when i was introduced to it by a very chic belgian teenager. cool, classy and very versatile

anaaranha
anaaranha

If I had to have a signature perfume, Chanel n. 19 EDP, would be the one. It smells like heaven to me, very classy e feminine. I'm in love with it!!!

artsymom
artsymom

I opened the bottle and was in HEAVEN.
It's ethereal, but sadly also ephemeral. It's like seeing the most beautiful person and making an instant connection. Then they're gone and you sadly struggle to hold on to the memory of what they looked like and grapple with the fact that you will never really know them. It's a bit heartbreaking. I love it anyway.
Thank you, candymarie, for the EDP sample.

lisankevin
lisankevin

I can't smell it on me, I don't think its strong enough its too light

jtd
jtd

The opening of Chanel 19 edt is one of my favorite experiences. It is a focused demonstration of the iris. I agree with many of the characterizations of 19: venomous, aloof, off-putting. 19 is powdery, but coldly and bluntly so. Up top, other notes, especially galbanum and hyacinth, accentuate the iris root and add to the wonderfully acetone, dry-cardboard smell of 19. Chanel 19 edt is a floral fragrance, but far les so in the topnotes than in the heart. The chill remains, but the acetone and paper recede, and the rose/jasmine heart continues the green trend right through to a grassy, vetiver drydown that I would ultimately categorize as woody-floral.

If I could make any perfume moment last forever it would be the topnotes of 19 edt. (Aside: I feel similarly about Cristalle and Pour Monsieur. Love them. Just want to drink them in. But, sadly, all three edts are brief experiences.) Despite its passing nature, though, I love the whole shape of 19. It is a beautifully worked-out fragrance and has a coherence of tone from start to finish that is both effusive and logical.

My dilemma: the concentration. The various Chanel concentrations are notorious for their qualitative differences. The edt is not a dilute version of the edp or of the extrait. It is a different formulation. I’ve fallen in easily with one concentration of the other Chanels. No 5: I understand the edp; I enjoy the edt. Cristalle: I don’t quite understand the edp (it has a niceness that defeats the pretty brutality of the edt) and want to live in the edt. For 19 I want both the edt and the edp.

While there is a similar componentry, the edp is leathery and warm where the edt is a cool, rooty/grassy floral. The evolution of the edp has a much slower timeframe, and gives a warm treatment to its flowers, rose in particular. Though distinctive, the edp winds up a broken-in green, leathery chypre not far from the drydown of Scherrer’s Scherrer.

TillyWave
TillyWave

This is my 2nd EDP review.

No 19 is green, really truely green. It is a mite more powdery than the EDT, and somehow less floral. It reminds me of powedered herbs, and dried grasses and stems. It will smell sometimes sweet on me, but I'll catch it again, and it will be surprisingly bitter (I like bitter smells.) No 19 EDP has layers and clouds in its depths, and is not for those who don't like green/bitter fragrances.

Sillage is minimal, but lasting power is very good.

Pinni
Pinni

Way too green and grassy for my taste! A bit acrid too. Makes me almost want to crinkle my nose. Very herbal and natural but I wouldn't really want to smell like it. I mostly smelled the green notes with bergamot and possibly vetiver (I'm not quite sure what vetiver smells like.) Surprisingly light and quiet but still definitely a Chanel.

Bottle looks very nice with the fresh green liquid. Pricey like Chanel is.

daliflora
daliflora

Too sharp and rather unpleasantly green... a waste of money, indeed, it smells like rotten herb... I never understood why some people are so impressed by every Chanel product only because the designer is so well-known in the world of perfume-industry. I wouldn't buy this not even if it costed less than 10 USD.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I've put my review in the EDT section, but this really is a totally different fragrance that lacks the sharpness of the EDT. It is cold, powdery aloof Iris with a leather base, if you wore and loved Anais Anais as a youth you will love this as a woman. It always makes me think of the Snow Queen in white furs and is beautiful to wear in the winter when it compliments the cool air around you.

safari
safari

I'm a man and I like masculen scents. But this scent very nice. I love it. green notes very good.
not heavy and not lght. But price?
Special and luxury.

delphine67
delphine67

I had this perfume in my 20s and I loved it. Its a green crisp and fresh perfume. I also had the comparing bodycream wich whas very luxures at that time. Bought it for my birthday.

candymarie
candymarie

I go back 25 years with the suite, and I am very satisfied with the current EDP. Worn with the body lotion, even better. I'm still crazy about you, my earthy, elegant, mysterious darling. Your powers are truely transformative. You are one of a kind and nearly defy description. There's a picture of you in the dictionary next to the word "masterpiece."

IamWoman
IamWoman

I am in heaven as I type! My daughter surprised me today with a bottle of #19 EDP as a birthday gift! I am typing and sniffing...typing and sniffing...Years ago, the EDT was my absolute love, then I switched to #5 (also used #22 for a while). After years of loving #5, I decided to go back to #19 EDT, except it smelled totally different. The EDP, however, was still "cool", crisp, elegant, chic, softly green and oh-so-sexy and refined. If this fragrance were a woman, I see it as being Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn. When I received it today, I cried. I feel reunited with an old love, and actually, I'm sensing a more "powdery" dry-down than I noticed several years ago (verrrrry nice). This fragrance was my signature then, and has returned to its rightful place once again. I love you #5, and Allure EDP, but #19 EDP, in all of her regal, aloof, "distant", classiness, has reclaimed her throne!! This is ME!

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

hmm, i love the complexity of edp (vintage) but i like the way edt (vintage) makes the moss & leather pop a little more.

icekat
icekat

Action, I so agree with you. I have tried EDT, pure parfum and EDP. EDP has this perfect balance of notes and harmony. I usually go for pure parfum but with No.19, EDP is the one that I love the most.

Masterpiece! None of the other versions can compare!

Chanel No 19 EDP by Chanel 4.07 out of 5 based on 1071 ratings and 119 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Chanel No 19 EDP fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Chanel No 19 EDP, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chanel No 19 EDP by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chanel No 19 EDP by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.