Designers » C » Floral Green « Groups

Chanel No 19 Parfum Chanel for women

Chanel No 19 Parfum Chanel for women
dislike

Number 19 in the name refers to the birth date of Coco Chanel, August 19. The perfume was launched in 1970 when Coco Chanel was 87 years old, a year before she died. It was created by Henri Robert, a perfume creator which created many other perfumes of the Chanel house.

This is a floral –woody - green fragrance of white flowers and green nuances. It is available as 7.5 ml pure perfume.

Green Notes White Flowers Woodsy Notes

Chanel No 19 EDP
Chanel N°19

Chanel No 19 Parfum Fragrance Reviews

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I had a little bottle of No.19 pure parfum in the early 90s, and I think it must have been from before they restricted oakmoss, because this version I'm trying now is slightly more floral, and with a bit more vetiver.

It does have that slightly haughty and elegant, yet lovely scent, and into dry-down (thanks to the quality of ingredients) it feels natural.

I can't remember if it was No.19 Parfum about which someone said 'this is how Galadriel must smell', but that would be a perfect description! The most obvious opening note to my nose is iris, or orris and where the EDP is soft and dewy, the Parfum is more lean in feel, more distant perhaps.

I sense more vetiver,, lily of the valley and possibly narcissus. Into drydown that lovely perfumed forest quality that I know and love emerges, No 19 reveals its gentle side at this stage; a gentle mossy quality

Anyway, if we must talk elves, I think that where Arwen might wear the EDP, Galadriel would undoubtedly favour the white and green aesthetic of No. 19 parfum - it conjures up morning light filtering through a canopy of trees, the scent of perfumed wood smoke lingering in the ashes of yesterday's fire, lily of the valley beginning to emerge from the mossy roots of an ancient oak..peace and silence reign in the forest

Dinkum
Dinkum

Yes! Had no 19 in EDT and EDP. Liked, but never loved. EDT felt too "cold", EDP kind of stuffy.

But the pure perfume...

Modest sillage. Wears much closer to the skin than EDT or EDP. An intimate "secret". Something quite different from the other concentrations. This is warmer, cozier. Can´t stop smelling my wrist!

Actually, I suspected it might turn out like this... In some cases it really makes a LOT of difference what concentration the juice is. Like with Chanel no 5, for me the vintage EDC and pure perfume is wonderful stuff, EDT is nice too (but don´t care for the EDP at all). Shalimar EDC is equally heavenly (and Shalimar EDP is just too much).

Michylaka

Addendum: 11/14/14 I just received my No. 19 Parfum from Chanel yesterday and it is truly magical. I love this. I put dabs in my elbow creases and on my neck when I first opened it in the morning. It was sharp upon application but then it morphed into all its glory. It wore fantastically all day as well. It is of course Green as everyone knows. However the Bergamot and Rose are lovely with the Iris and Oakmoss. I can see why it is so calming as some have said. I found myself shortly after application drawing up some jewelry designs and going through my inventory of gems and metals. Something I had been neglecting for a bit as we have had a family crisis. It actually drew out of me not only motivation but inspiration. I realized this centers me. No wonder my Mum wears this. To smell No.19 on someone else is one thing but to wear it is another matter entirely. My fiance upon coming home from work at five thought I was burning my oils but when I offered him my arm to sniff and see that it was me he was enraptured at first then alarmed that I had bought yet again another fragrance. He knows of my addiction all too well. We went to dinner. We are both redheads so we are usually bickering back and forth but all was mellow and sweet. So nice! Then upon going to bed he said "I wish I had known you like No.19 because it really suits you." I told him "This is a new and blessed development. Apparently for both of us," I think my mother needs some more now too for Christmas!

Michylaka

This as a spray of EDP or EDT has always been so sharp to my nose upon first application but I will try the parfum as I do love No 19 it as it wears. I have been getting into parfum more these days anyway instead of EDT or EDP. I love the concentrated scent of parfum and it is more strategically placed as well. Sprays tend to go all over the place. Thanks for the tip on Miss No 19.

Dulce15
Dulce15

I love this and I cannot express enough how grounding this is for me as I am a very testy woman. My grandmother wears this and maybe that is the reason I find it calming. Not sure. Like her I only buy the Parfum directly from Chanel which we keep in a very dark cool place. The EDP and EDT are not the best way to get it as they seem to fade rather quickly. I hope this helps some of you who have had issues with it fading. Next time get the Parfum it is $115 for the .25oz at Chanel.com. Enjoy the smell of what is in my opinion Heaven on Earth.

SuzieQue$1
SuzieQue$1

I am sure, pretty sure anyways, that my chemistry has changed over my 65 years on this planet...Chanel # 5 does not smell as good as it used to on me. I would hate to think some bean-counter has changed the formulae, or that some components are no longer available. I loved both the #19 and # 22, also.

#22 is not available exept at a Chanel boutique or Chanel online. I want a sample first!

Domenica23
Domenica23

loving it, got the bottle with a refill as concentrated perfume (eau de parfum). It's great, a classic. Once I wore it at an important meeting, guess what, all went well...
Fresh, new, but soft, elegant (!), always pleasant, I chose it many years ago, it took a while to find out it is one of my favourites!!!

Iris_it
Iris_it

@Indorm : Yes , it has happened to me with current Chanel 19 . A dislike! But I' m in love with the vintage version , big love . After the bitter green opening which intrigues the nose ( nothing nasty like in the current version ) the heart is extremely elegant and smooth . It is a Ladies' perfume but I do not find it cold and distant .

What a shame Chanel 19 is not as it used to be :-(

Roshap
Roshap

here comes the heresy...19 and amazone are more or less the same fragrance to me. i don't get any leathery dry down. i think this genre was very popular in the 1970s. honestly, that was not intended as a hateful comment. anyway, i appreciate the significance more than i actually enjoy the scent.

ginawadsworth

Doing my usual trick of adding this and Allure parfum as a mix, I am again reminded of what a beautiful perfume house Chanel can be. Despite the fact that my husband did not like this, I think I added more no 19 this time, did not detract from my enjoyment. I think he found it too tart or sour. I guess it is all in the mix, as last time he did like it.

To me this is what perfume is all about, making something mainstream, personal. Perfume should be about self expression and not following a trend. After all we all like to feel unique. By taking one of the older perfumes and adding it to something newer allows me to create a little magic that works for me.

Although I do not layer perfumes routinely, this mix really works for me, and I think the use of quality parfum as a base was the key.

Try mixing some of your own choices, you may find a winning combination too.

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

I really want this one but I am known for putting on too much. So personally I would run out within the first month of owing it or get griped at for having on too much.

How long will a .25 OZ Parfum bottle last me if I put on 2 drops?

Pogomom
Pogomom

This is a review of Vintage Chanel no 19 Perfume from about 1978.

I just discover this fragrance in a closet. I was the original owner. it is labeled perfume, not parfum, 1/4 oz, glass bottle, glass stopper, liquid is light tan, not green.

Where is the loud green explosion I remember? The opening is mild, just a few seconds of intensity, then a soft green blanket of fresh rain, new grass and spring flowers, supported by soft woods, oakmoss and a bit of leather. Very beautiful comforting and inviting. Very easy to love, nothing the least bit objectionable or exciting.

Did this soften over the years, or has it always been this gentle? Or am I remembering the sharp greenness of the EDC version in the square stainless bottle?

indorm
indorm

I don't know... Does nobody else get that incredibly weird, sharp, bitter opening I get? Or is everybody too scared to say something negative about such a famous perfume? Maybe it is just my own chemistry... I've tried it at a counter several times, but each time it took quite a while to settle into something more agreeable.

TeaforTwo
TeaforTwo

Earthy, grounded, cool as a cucumber. Love this. Love the edp also, but this is in a league of its own - less affable than the powdery edp, but the same unforgettable greenness.

varykino
varykino

"Oh, the sisters of mercy, they are not departed or gone.
They were waiting for me when I thought that I just can't go on.
And they brought me their comfort and later they brought me this song.
Oh, I hope you run into them, you who've been travelling so long.

Well they lay down beside me, I made my confession to them.
They touched both my eyes and I touched the dew on their hem.
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn
They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem."

... Beauty. The leather is more prominent in the extrait than in the (current) EDP or EDT, and with the galbanum it runs through all the stages of wear like a supple, straight spine of green. There is so much deep, sweet warmth here, though. How Sanchez arrived at her 'wire mother' analogy for 19 is beyond me. To stay with the analogy, if No 19 were a story about a mother, it should be a story of a free, wise spirit who takes her children by the hand and shows them the magic and beauty of a forest or a city, then gently, but honestly teaches them about the wolves so they can better keep safe.

(With loving thanks to the incomparable Cohen.)

Glennie8118
Glennie8118

Just love this fragrance. Makes me feel happy, sexy and expensive. Always complimented every time I wear it. Sharp, Cool then creamy. Love it!

Carnation
Carnation

This is very typical of the early 1970's sweet,green and powdery fragrances in the same genre as Estee Lauder's Aliage,Charlie,etc.
The usual Chanel aldehydic influence is present although not as obvious as say,No.5. There also a slight leathery note I'm picking up,like an old weathered handbag.
I honestly only recommend this for diehard House of Chanel aficionados.

demcav
demcav

Please don't waste your hard earned money on Chanel No 19 vintage perfume. You probably won't like it, and it would only make it more difficult and expensive for me to find...especially, the vintage sealed bottles! I assure you, you won't like it! ;-)

ireallyNEEDit!!
ireallyNEEDit!!

I have just recently joined Fragrantica. (I don't know what took me so long.) But this is my first review, and I certainly don't have the knowledge and sophistication that so many of you have. I am not going to wax poetic about fragrances too much like some reviewers do. But that doesn't mean I don't, or haven't always, loved them! I have had my Chanel No. 19 (parfum and EDP) for many years and have loved it as one of my absolute favorites. The one thing that sticks in my mind about No. 19 is that men seem to love it. I can't tell you how many compliments I have received from men in elevators. ;-)

dawnleereed
dawnleereed

I'm so disappointed....after all the reviews and accolades...I'm not having the same experience with No. 19. I adore the complexity of Chanel fragrances and expect something different from them. Unfortunately this doesn't mesh well with my chemistry. It starts out odd smelling and dries down to musty dirt. No floral....no pleasant green...just dirt. It makes me sad... :(

nyoka
nyoka

Thanks to a good friend,SoniaMclear I was gifted this gem. I love it!! I disagree about the seasons of wear,tho.Here in the south,we went from winter to summer overnite!! The days r already hot but,the spring flowers are blooming. This morning,I was stuffy and too warm. I thought Id give the 19 a chance. What a surprise!!! Beautiful,,green,woody scent with just a hint of flower nectar in the air. REFRESHING> Like a long cool drink of water on a hot summer day. Its scent was like going outside in the early morning and taking in, the new leaves, buds,and white jonquils that are starting to bloom. I have a unique redbud tree (that I found and planted from deep in our woods) that is covered with fushia buds. Beneath it,jonquils and tulips r blooming. That lovely picture in my mind is what the scent of 19 is like.
She is modest tho. She doesn't overpower the other beautiful smells.She doesn't compete.She just stays with you a long time,making you remember the rebirth of the world outside in getting warm weather and how lucky you are to have her as your friend!

Moonclaw
Moonclaw

No 19 is my favourite fragrance of all time, the dry down is nearly magical and the complexity of the fragrance a delight. My mum bought me my first bottle of the parfum extrait on my 18th birthday in 1971 and I have worn it all my adult life. The vintage formulation, which I have been lucky enough to find. I recently acquired one of what might be a very early 70's issue, prior to the Iranian revolution and the first change of formula to a lesser quality galbanum. Got it on eBay as an estate piece, 90% full, 1/2 oz for only $40 - I was so afraid it was a rip, but when it arrived it was in the original box, obviously old, and yet exactly like the one I had way back in 1971. And it smells divine! For me, finding the extrait at a price this small, the original too, was like winning the lottery. I shall treasure it and dole it out sparingly.

But that's the pure perfume. I actually LOVE the modern No 19 EDT and on me it smells terrific. It is "louder" than the pure parfum, but it's dry down is lovely. I can't praise No. 19 enough and everyone who loves it should try and get at least one bottle of the 70's vintage, it is truly sublime!

cloudberry
cloudberry

Chanel #19, you made me into the cool girl I was in college. Nobody could guess who you were, but everyone loved you. When I was asked for your name, I got to share a cool, unknown, rare and retro Chanel for its time. For me, you were always the most grown-up Chanel. The rebel in a sharp 80s feminine power suit with a busting bank account. The Chanel who could help me rock my business meetings in a structured Armani dress, then help me chill it out with a cocktail and appear sensual and ethereal in a DVF retro wrap dress in the evenings (even though I couldn't relax at all back in those days).

So, #19, thanks for turning up my feminine power all those years. You were my go-to girl when I needed to feel my very strongest in any given situation.

Girl, you know that I still have your treasured first bottle, with just a tiny hint of you left inside. You're a treasure on my dressing table. I love to open up the cap and take a tiny whiff of you, but I don't want you to run out. I want to keep you exactly as you are, in the exact bottle I took with me around the world back in the day when liquids were allowed on planes.

Aquarky63
Aquarky63

I love 19 in the fall and winter.......perfect for work or snuggled up in a big cashmere sweater. Not too much at work and like other reviewers, i agree it does not enter room before you do! Seems a bit heavy or wooden for summer.....often switch to Chanel Gardenia or Une Fleur for that.

mimikins24
mimikins24

For me, No. 19 is a power suit of a fragrance. I wear it when I want to feel confident and in control in a work setting.

As the listed notes might suggest, this fragrance does not give me actual flowers or woods to reference. Rather I am only able to give an overall description of the fragrance as a whole.

Green, clean, crisp, dry, woody with a light accent of white florals and an overall citrusy feel. I find this to be "perfume" for a lack of a better term, as the notes are all so blended together.

When I wear No. 19 I feel in control, in a buttoned up sort of way. I only wear it to work because I find it too neat and tidy for any other occassion. It means business!!

I own the parfum, and a few splashes at the wrists and neck gives all day scent with polite sillage.

ginawadsworth

This is a very unusual perfume - not a perfume at all but more of a feeling to me - straight up forest and somewhat dry. I like to mix it with allure to round it out, but I am a chyphre floral girl so what would you expect!

tried it on it's own, the dry down was fascinating, very crisp almost tangy. brilliant

Kysyona
Kysyona

IMHO,this is for someone, who knows: it doesn't always have to be about sex (this being said by a person, who wears Boudoir as the signature scent). Sometimes you just want to rise above it, detach yourself from the carnal and dream through the day about something abstract, lay out some plans for the future, focus on tasks that are hard to accomplish but promise a deserved reward, sort that cluttered wardrobe bursting at the seams, carefully wrap a mountain of Xmas presents, go through the accumulated mail and then enjoy a nice chilled glas of white while observing the restored order around you. Then, a few hous later, you can change into something cosier, let your hair down for the evening and reach for COCO instead.
I need these kind of days from time to time, badly. And nr. 19 helps me feel like a grownup, like someone who is in control, like someone who is every day a little better a person that he/she was yesterday.
This perfume is highly intellectual, rather minimalistic, demanding high amount of style and understatedness, that usually go hand in hand anyway. It's not icy-green, but rather a chilled green, like a mossy pond in the twilight, and it abandons its sharpness quite quickly, becoming a shimmering green with a whiff of something lilac when you move. A day spent shopping for high end things ( where you need to at least seem confident and qualified enough to bargain ), library events, a job interview, a visit to a gallery/museum on a sunny afternoon, and a classic - a formal sunday brunch/dinner in a casual atmosphere, where something has to keep you from slumping in your chair and crossing legs, which is still considered a pose of familiarity in serious business circles. For a highly sensuous sybaritic person like me it's a must, if you don't have a strict, albeit well-meaning, mother that gives your back a mighty slap when you were just about to slouch.

mylancome
mylancome

That Make Scents: For parfum, you don't apply by just splash. It's very concentrate, you just apply with the bottle cap. With that, a 7.5ml parfum can last more than a year.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

I fell in love with the EDT over a year ago but was uncomfortable about wearing a woman's perfume...I know I know...anyways rest assured that No. 19 IS UNISEX. Even in the parfum version. I recently asked the help of several women who verified this for me.

I have tried all versions of this minus the EDP. I haven't seen a tester for the EDP and reviews are varied regarding longevity. So until I get a free whiff I have no interest in the EDP. The Poudre version was a joke...lasted for less than 15 minutes.

THE PARFUM is the EDT but more condensed. Unfortunately though the "white wine booziness" that I get from the EDT is rather muted in the parfum version. Otherwise the parfum is a sweeter condensed stanky *floral over greens rendition of the EDT. It is exactly what you would expect a parfum version to be.

Sillage is great and so is longevity.

THE BAD :

The parfum is sold in a 7ml splash bottle ($100). It fits neatly in the coin pocket of my jeans. That's cute but I have no use for 7ml of anything. It will last me just a little over 1 week of normal use. So basically you pay $100 to smell good for 1 week or so.

I could justify a purchase like this if I was going on a vacation and wanted to smell nice for my short trip. However for day to day use this equation just doesn't work for me.

The parfum version is very potent but it isn't "DAB" worthy IMO. You still need to spray it through an atomizer which uses up more juice. If the parfum was offered in at least a 50ml bottle for a reasonable price this would be in my heavy rotation.

Glad I tried it but the EDT for $94 french market version is a way better deal for me.

...A REAL BEAUTY THOUGH !

lisa o
lisa o

has someone an opinion about the differences between the EDP and the extrait? it's hard to find a tester of the latter and I guess there are details different?! (I like the EDP actually but extrait is always "calling":-)

megank4
megank4

This smells too woody for me.

halekoa73
halekoa73

I wear this fragrance and I would describe it as pretty with a mature sophisticated twist. Stars such as Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly come to mind when wearing this delightful scent.

Chanel No. 19 Parfum can be worn during the day as well as the evening; it is not overpowering and does not "enter" a room before you do. Just good stuff!

Enjoy and wear with confidence,
HaleKoa73

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I put on this perfume this morning and loved the evolving notes. I got the green and clean and love the wonderful Chanel harmony of notes, which are all beautifully in tune. But most of all I got a feeling, an image from the No. 19. This is not a warm, fuzzy perfume. This is a perfume I would wear for a board meeting where I wanted to be taken very seriously as someone to be reckoned with. This perfume exudes power and says "I am confident and I have edges, watch out." Before the days of women in the boardroom, I can imagine an aristocratic mother putting this on, giving her offspring a peck on the cheek and a 'caress' with a gloved hand and then trotting off to the opera or wherever leaving the dear child with her nanny for days possibly. Not warm or lush, but not icy either, but individualistic. I like it for summer because it has a coolness to it generally.

Sissey
Sissey

Simple yet elegant.Chanel was never my fav.But must admit no.19 amazed me by its good quality

ivan.vusurovic
ivan.vusurovic

when i was in my 20-es i tought its kind of granny-cologne.then few years ago i gave it other try and started to love it-everytime more and more.was just able to get a nice stock of vintage version(allmost 200ml of extrait-lot of litle botles,lol)of it and similar amount of no5 vintage extrait.in my opinion they are distroying perfumery with those silly restrictions allowing only so litle percents of whatever absolue or oil.i think thats also why they made the poudre version-to try to act that its more modern and younger in an atempt to hide that they cant use so much oakmoss anymore.no 19 is great perfume for conneseurs-but only the vintage extrait,still cant get friends with new no19 and no19 poudre...

nikkic78
nikkic78

Off the top the bitter almost spearimenty green notes swirl around the softest sweetest leather...heaven. I am not familiar with green or leather. Within an hour, a powdery floral sweet wood smell joins in.
I don't even know if this is what I'm supposed to smell but this comforts me. It reminds me of my dad, who wore leather jackets and smoked when I was growing up. A rebel at heart but who loved hard and was always there. Yet, I feel feminine and strong when I wear it. I've never smelled anything like it and I LOVE it!
I can relate to every reviewer before me. Each commenting on some different aspect, each spot on.
This is complex and extremely well crafted.

Decodawn
Decodawn

Fresh, green, young, confident, innocent, crisp I love the freshness of this fragrance just gorgeous ideal for spring summer and for 16-30 somethings.

Vanian
Vanian

I would say This is it. I am just sitting and really wandering - Why I haven't tried it and wear it earlier??? It is absolutly wonderful. In the category "my trade mark "

gbush
gbush

I love this perfum .... as an equestrian, I totally get the leathery, outdoor, quality that some have spoken of. I find Chanel No 19 warm, earthy, and chameleon-like.

So far this is the only perfum my Husband likes ... he pretty much loathes most perfumes so I am glad we agree on this smell!

mymlan
mymlan

N°19 parfum is like a walk in the forest in the autumn. The ground is damp and covered with leafs in red, yellow and brown colours. Mushrooms are growing on mouldering wood. A soft cracking sound from your footsteps. Silence. A lonley crow croaks from a distance. A little chilly misty air, but the air tastes good and you inhale deeply.

Relax, enjoy your walk and feel the presence from the forest slowly falling asleep before the winter.

greydove
greydove

This fragrance centers and calms me. Its one of the most chameleon-like scents I've smelled yet. Sometimes I get frankincense, somtimes orange zest, sometimes oak, sometimes rose, sometimes pine, sometimes honey. Maybe its Titania's perfume :)

Imagine my wonder and surprise when I opened a package from another dear member, having asked for a mere sample of Chanel No. 19, and seeing a 1/4 ounce of pure PARFUM!! Wrapped in the signature ribbon of the House and still completely full...

Many members do not like to be mentioned or thanked publicly...so, all I will say here is: "Thank you Lady AB for your kindness, generosity and your beautiful gifts, they are nothing compared to the grandeur of your spirit!"

Amazing, simply amazing! Amazing for its quality; yes. But, also for its simple elegance. The first time I tried this, I just dabbed a bit on each wrist and sniffed it as I went to sleep. When I woke, it was all but gone...could this be?! Today, on seeing it added here, I decided to try it again and it is obvious that I slept through the "magick"...

Three "notes"?? REALLY...I beg to differ! No 19 parfum begins with a chilly cool green (not unlike Cristalle, but smoother) making me think: Galbanum and also lovely daffodils and maybe a bit of dewkissed hyacinth as well. The flowers here are cool and rich, but nowhere near massive (Henri Robert, you are a genius!). White flowers abound, like subtle jasmine and neroli, making this smooth and sexy without getting "carnal". It is obvious there is iris/orris here as well. No19 Parfum may be the strongest concentration of this particular scent, but it is by far the most elegant. There is something here that, upon sniffing your wrist (or wherever you dabbed it!) that is not detectable, but as you move about or catch a whiff of it, indirectly, it's is superb! The drydown is woody but also has a "cleaness" to it. No civet, no patchouli, no tonka; just a clean mean green that is NOT (I repeat) not overly soapy. Somewhere swirling around in this heavenly aroma are lush florals and grand woods, but they are so well blended you have to just sniff and enjoy!! If No 5 is the fragrance for a person dressed up and "out on the town", No 19 is shopping with friends or having lunch at the sidewalk bistro. Do not misunderstand me, No. 19 can (and should) be worn "out", as it has all the qualities of a CHANEL parfum, it is just much more "down to earth" and less "riche" without giving up any luxury. Classic through and through...

Sillage: magical
Longevity: very good
Overall: 4.5/5

Yes yes I know "for women"! *rolls eyes* However, this scent does VERY well on my "manskin", and no one has remarked (as yet) I smelled "perfumey" while I was wearing it. I have smelled the EDT (WOW!), Eau Premiere (very nice) and the EDP (amazing!)...but the Parfum continues to be my favorite No. 19

Chanel No 19 Parfum by Chanel 4.09 out of 5 based on 357 ratings and 42 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Chanel No 19 Parfum fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Chanel No 19 Parfum, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chanel No 19 Parfum by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chanel No 19 Parfum by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.