Designers » C » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne Chanel for women

Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne Chanel for women
dislike

The legendary Chanel No 5, which was created by Ernest Beaux in 1921 for Coco Chanel, was originally launched in three concentrations: Parfum, Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne. Eau de Cologne was discounted in 1990s and replaced by Eau de Parfum. Each concentration is slightly different.

African Orange flower Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Aldehydes

iris Jasmine Orris Root Rose Lily-of-the-Valley

Vetiver Musk Sandalwood Patchouli oak moss Amber Vanille Civetta

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette
Chanel No 5 Parfum
Chanel N°5
Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere (2015)
Chanel N°5 Eau Premiere

Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne Fragrance Reviews

Smucci
Smucci

So good, the smell of mothers, of Marilyn Monroe, womanliness. My favorite version of 5.

lucia.lawson
lucia.lawson

Chanel No 5 Vintage Cologne

The first time I met her she sat on a shelf at the Chanel boutique in Paris on one of my visits circa 1959. At the time I was engaged to be married and excited about buying French perfumes. For a long time I avoided this fragrance, which even by the 50's was overrated and commonly used by everyone and their mother, so I thought that this perfume would not be for me. It was raining and I forgot my umbrella so I had to walk into the store under my fiancé's umbrella. The sales lady looked at me like I was from another planet, even though we were both European and my country was only across the Channel and my country had saved her country from the Nazis! The opportunity was there and so I bought Chanel No. 5.

I was asked to sample it but I chose not to and to discover the scent for myself when I got home. My mother never wore this as she preferred Chanel Cuir de Russie Chanel No 22 and Chanel Gardenia. The first whiff was an orgasmic aldehyde. Such beautiful fresh brilliant and old timey perfumy aldehydes. These were the very first aldehydes in the history of perfume. Beautiful.

The aldehydes settle down and a powdery iris and rose scent emerge, my God. So floral and so pretty. Womanly, feminine, elegant. It seems to be based on the rose but it's not a rose perfume. The florals are very lovely but they quickly turn spicy and musky. The base notes contain civet and musk, perhaps a touch of leather and plenty of vetiver and oak moss. I had experienced moss and civet before so I was able to take it.

In the end I sighed with relief. This was a gorgeous perfume when it was selling in the Golden Age of Perfume and still is. If you give it a chance, the cologne, with it's amazing projection, sillage, longevity and aroma, can seduce you and enchant you. It's a perfume that begs to be loved, to be treasured. It's iconic and the perfume of perfumes. I wear this infrequently so that I wouldn't smell it too much and enjoy the scent the few times I do wear it. It always feels like an old friend, a friend that waits for me patiently to meet up with her again.

No. 5 is a fragrance of aldehydes, roses, iris, powder, musk and moss, a perfume of enduring appeal, ageless, timeless, captivating, a fragrance that has stood the test of time and continues to be the most recognized and famous fragrance of all time.

poolsoflaughter
poolsoflaughter

I still have this for when I want to feel elegant, or for interviews, but my ex ruined it for me. This timeless fragrance has so many feelings and memories associated with it.

toff.tiozon
toff.tiozon

I just got my vintage 200ml bottle of this today. Looks like this bottle was produced in the 70's.

Anyway, on to business -

Out of all the concentrations of No. 5 (past and present) that I have tried, I would say this one is the most aldehydic and least floral.

The initial whiff reminded me a bit of Original Musk by Kiehl's - soapy, electric aldehydes and dirty animalic notes dancing in a floral haze. But while OM's florals are much more pronounced and indolic, No. 5 EDC puts the aldehydes and civet front and center. The florals are there, for sure, but they've been relegated to a supporting role. And for this reason, this is easily the most unisex version of the iconic perfume. (Although I'm pretty sure the age of the bottle has affected its smell)

If Chanel were to come out with a Chanel No. 5 Pour Homme, this would be a good reference point.

The drydown is what you would expect a No. 5 drydown to be: warm, powdery-woody and intimate - perhaps more "intimate" and "lived in" than any of the modern formulations due to the presence of natural civet.

Overall I would say this is a great acquisition for any perfume geek, even if only as a reference scent.

Additional notes:
this is a lot headier and long lasting than the modern EDT, and can be found online for a lot less cheap. If you can find a good deal online, I highly recommend you get it.

socorrosouza
socorrosouza

Girls, perfumes do turn, all vintage bottles include a heavy danger of having "turned". In hotter climates bottles will start to smell bad after 7 years or even less. And , please, old ladies just like young ladies don't have a characteristic smell. They can use Heat or Incredible Things or whatever smell they like. And there are a lot of young people who love vintage scents. Stop this ageistic "old lady smell" that really means a really bad scent. And one thing is sure, we all will age and turn into old gentlemen and ladies (if we are lucky !!!!).

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

This is for the vintage formula, that a fellow Fragrantica member so generously sent to me:

The vintage no 5 edc has been such a privilege to experience. I realise that women must have been wearing it when I was a little girl. (Well, most women, my mother didn't wear perfumes and she wasn't into glamour.)

Those scent memories have shaped what fragrances I am attracted to, all these years later. The scent of the vintage Chanel makes me remember the sound of jingling charm bracelets, ice cubes clinking in glasses, the flash of sparking jewellery, the feel of fur, all mixed in with the scent of cigarettes, lipstick and alcohol. It was the early 60s, when none of those things were yet questioned.

I was born a "girly" girl. I loved playing dress up and could hardly wait to be old enough to save up pocket money to buy make up. Other little girls may have been playing with dolls but I was busy making "hors d'oeuvres" out of plasticine and pouring pretend cocktails. I was the only girl with three older brothers. I craved all things pretty and feminine - it must have been like an alien arriving in my very masculine family. I ached for feminine things, so whenever a glamorous woman arrived on my radar, I was beyond myself with happiness. Those women were scented with Chanel no 5 and probably a few other vintage fragrances which I have yet to experience.

Who would have thought that a decant of vintage Chanel could evoke all that from the past? Needless to say, I am very grateful.
Edit: I put this review under the wrong Chanel no 5. This is for the cologne, not the edt.

Parfumee
Parfumee

CHANEL

GROUP: ALDEHYDIC FLORAL MUSK

NOTES: aldehydes bergamot lemon ylang ylang orange blossom iris jasmine orris root rose lily of the valley vetiver sandalwood patchouli oak moss civet musk

SILLAGE: MODERATE Radiates Within Arm's Length

LONGEVITY: VERY LONG LASTING: 7 to 12 Hours

REMINDS ME OF: ARPEGE LANVIN JOY PATOU L'INTERDIT GIVENCHY BAL A VERSAILLES JEAN DESPREZ FIRST VAN CLEEF & ARPELS

NO. 5 in it's purest vintage form is selling as the Eau de Cologne. This was the first aldehyde fragrance. Before aldehydes were introduced as notes in fragrances, the freshness owed to ingredients such as natural bergamot, lemon, neroli and other citruses. Another "fresh" ingredient was anise or aniseed. Aldehydes revolutionized the industry. No. 5 was created for Chanel by Ernest Beaux and launched in 1921. Coco Chanel was shown a number of vials with different scents that Beaux had created in his lab in Paris. Each vial was numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. Chanel chose No. 5 because she was struck by the oak moss the sandalwood and the musky accords, the civet. She was not into floral perfumes and preferred chypres. She never wore No. 5 herself. No. 5 became the most famous and well known fragrance in perfume history just after World War 2. Allied British and American soldiers who were in Paris during it's liberation from the Nazis discovered Chanel's boutique on the Rue Cambon and No. 5. Every French girl was wearing it and so the men brought it back home with them to the US and offered it as gifts to their girlfriends, fiances and wives. And No. 5 became part of American households ever since. No. 5 has also remained a popular classic because famed Hollywood movie star and 1950's sex symbol Marilyn Monroe openly stated that she wore No. 5. First Lady Jackie Kennedy was also known to wear No. 5. It begins with sparkling, fresh aldehydes. They are like magic sparks, bubbly and refreshing, celebratory like champagne or the touch of a fairy god mother's magic wand. The aldehydes lead into the citrus out of which the lemon and bergamot are most dominant. After the aldehydes and citric notes fade away the fragrance reveals its floral nature. I smelled rose, iris, jasmine ylang ylang and lily of the valley. It's a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It's romantic. The strongest floral accord is the rose. But even the rose appears to disappear as the ylang ylang mysteriously appears and leaves a fragrant yellow floral scent. The fragrance then develops into a musky scent of civet. Lots of civet. It's muskiness is similar to the musk in Bal A Versailles by Jean Desprez. If you wear the cologne the civet and musk will be there. Then there's plenty of chypre aspects namely oak moss. It's mossy and nocturnal. It has woodsy notes. I enjoy the fragrant sandalwood. If you wear the Parfum and Toilette the musk is not as pronounced. No. 5 exists in many different forms but if you want to experience all the original ingredients and the true scent it's the cologne you want to get. This fragrance is elegant, womanly, mature, and while it can be old lady ish it's warm and comforting like a hug from your mother. An evening cologne for fall and winter. A beauty that shall live forever. This timeless fragrance, whether you like it or not, is the very definition of modern perfume. It has a lot of history, a lot of love and a lot of life. It's the Mona Lisa of perfume. It's an iconic fragrance that just like we don't mind looking at the Mona Lisa over and over again we don't mind smelling No. 5 over and over again.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

This was my first Chanel.
Talk about being a young girl trying to be chic in the late 80s wrestling with civet , musk and indolic jasmine..it was beautiful, too much for my youthful nose, but it was captivating. I kept returning to it, even though I felt uncomfortable wearing it.

Its aldehydic civet richness with the jasmine is reminiscent of Lanvins My Sin, although I would say Chanel is stronger and slightly brasher than My Sin.

Its beautiful in a different way, from a different era, but its richness is not found in fragrances of today.

I loved wearing it with a leather jacket as it mixed amazingly well with the leather. So chic and sexy.

Class&Ass
Class&Ass

Allow me to pay respect for the one fragrance that has literally been in existence for our entire lives! Nearly 100 YEARS have gone by since the original release of this Classic scent. 1929 was a long ass time ago!

Of course there are differences between the Cologne & Perfume, New vs Vintage, etc. I personally have 3 Vintage Bottles of Chanel No 5 Eau De Cologne & I will continue to purchase it whenever I come across a good deal. Why? Because it's MAGNIFICENT!

Chanel is the ONLY fragrance that seems to get better with age. Almost everyone has kept an old bottle of perfume around only to reopen & gag at the overwhelming scent of rubbing alcohol. NOT true of Chanel!

IF you find a Vintage bottle, buy it!

My "Chanel Grandma" wore only Chanel Jackets, Chanel Shoes & only carried Chanel Bags. Of course her signature scent was Chanel No 5! And like most young women the thought of smelling like my Grandma was definitely not sexy & was NOT happening. Then I found an old bottle & opened it, it was a flood of emotions, my senses were all over the place. A rush of euphoria in a bottle!

I'll be 40 something in a few days & perhaps it's maturity, memories & a respect for the Classics but wearing Vintage Chanel Cologne is like Updos & Opera Gloves -Timeless Elegance

kaxmir
kaxmir

I have a bottle that belonged to my grandmother who wore this all the time, and she smelled GREAT! I miss her sooooooo much, so I take a whiff of this bottle when I'm feeling down.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Chanel No 5 The Most Famous Perfume Of All Time

This Is The One Marilyn Monroe Wore

If you've ever looked at the famous photograph of Hollywood legend Marilyn Monroe in her boudoir dreser in front of her mirror holding a Chanel No. 5 in her hand and splashing some of it on her bosom, this is it. She did not wear the Eau de Parfum and if you think the one being sold today by the house of Chanel is the one she wore, you're so wrong. The new one is a reformulation. It was updated to meet with perfume lover's current tastes in fragrances. That means they removed some of the notes in the original formula, namely the civet, which was a big player in the original formula. So what did Marilyn Monroe wear? As she put it in an interview when asked what she wore to bed, Chanel No. 5, but it was the Eau de Cologne. If you look at the photo, you'll notice the design of the glass bottle greatly resembles the vintage bottles sold in the 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s. In the 90's, they discontinued the original formula of the cologne. Then it was replaced by the Eau de Parfum. Marilyn was probably wearing the ones which had been selling since the end of World War II (1945-1946). At that time, WW 2 soldiers who'd been stranded in Paris during the Nazi occupation encountered Chanel No. 5 which sold at the Chanel boutique at 31 Rue Cambon. They brought the cologne with them upon returning to the US and presented it as a gift for their wives, girlfriends and fiancees. That's how Chanel No. 5 came into American homes and the fragrance continued to sell in America, and around the world. It is the single most famous and most beloved perfume in the world. At first I didn't care too much for this frag, but then I decided to give it a try. I have the vintage cologne because as a classic perfume collector, I knew I had to have it. This is a timeless beautiful fragrance and should be worn at least once in one's lifetime.

NOTES IN CHANEL'S NO. 5

HEAD NOTES: African Orange Flower YlangYlang Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Aldehydes

Heart Notes: Iris Jasmine Orris Root Rose Lily of the Valley

Base Notes: Vetiver Musk Sandalwood Patchouli Oak Moss Amber Vanilla Civet

The new formula for No. 5 includes the additional new note of vanilla because there is no way tht Ernest Beaux, the nose who created the fragrance in 1921, would actually use vanilla. The gourmand fragrances had not arrived yet and wouldn't for a long time. The 20's was a time when aldehydes was the new concept in perfume. This has the classic Chanel frag opening of aldehydes. It is less sparkling than No. 22, but it has that perfumey aldehydic opening. That can be rather harsh especially if you're splashing yourself with the cologne (not a spray). Once the aldehydes disappear, you get into the floral heart of the fragrance. Flowers are not heavy but I got mainly iris and rose. This is a rather dark rose, not heady, not sweet, not soapy, not powdery, a rose that is hidden in a lot of woods. No. 5 is a CHYPRE and has a lot of wood. When you get into the dry down all the woodsy base notes come out: fragrant sandalwood and oak moss, and the warmth of amber. But even these woods are nothing in comparison to the civet that rears it's head from the forest. This is an animalic fragrance. It is warm, sensual and want you to pet him, kiss him, cuddle him and hold him close. It's not to be feared. It's a creature that wants to be taken out of the wild and into the bedroom! It's a sexy feminine animal that ahs been lost but has now found a home - on your skin! This is why Marilyn Monroe made it into her signature scent. She found a lot of her true self in this cologne. It totally matched her personality and her spirit. She is an animal that is neither good nor bad, a lost creature with a deceptive sexiness. Not all sexual, you see, but soft, clingy, child like and wanting only to be warm and comforted in as intimate a place as your heart. I do like this fragrance. It has everything you want in a perfume. You have the classic formula of aldehydes flowers woods and civet, and you have the history that goes with this fragrance. This was and is and will always be Chanel's most famous and most successful fragrance. She didn't wear it herself. She wore No. 19 and really preferred other scents like Bois des Iles and No. 22, also made by Ernest Beaux the following year in 1922 after having created No.5. The cologne is very rich, deep and sultry. It can come off as masculine or unisex because of the heavy woods and the civet, but that doesnt' make it any less feminine either. So if you're a Marilyn Monroe fan and want to smell exactly as she did, GET THE OLD FORMULA VINTAGE COLOGNE SPLASH BOTTLE. They don't sell them at the Chanel boutiques but they do sell as antiques on ebay. Don't be scared of an old cologne. Its fragrance takes you places! It took me to the 20's as well as the 1940's and 1950's. This might be unisex in todays market but it will always be a lady, It's sexy, seductive, strong but so very vulnerable at the same time. It's heart, just like Marilyn's heart, is a wounded, sad, orphaned stray animal that feels happy every time you decide to take it home with you.

Betandi
Betandi

Just got my vintage beauty today. It is from the 70s and a new experience of perfume. This perfume is scent which il always there. Sometimes you don't smell it just feel it is there. It is sparling, deep, on my skin is a bit powdery. At the beginning it is soapy, very clean but for the one who deserves it shows note by note its floral beauty.

I've tested it back in the time. I was too young probably. Never did like. It was way too serious for me in my early twenties. I can't immagine this fragrance under 30. It is too sophisticated and classy to wear on festivals, clubs, concerts and wild parties. This scent is for grown ups. Now while 40+ I just fell love the vintage version.

lhomme
lhomme

I am a young French man and Chanel n°5 Eau de Parfum has been my signature scent for many years now. It doesn't smell female at all with my body chemistry. It's just...me... People have given me so many compliments. They all want to know which parfum I use. Funny it's actually the most famous one out there, but nobody expects it on a man I guess.

Recently, on a local secondhand webstore, I saw someone who sold an almost full 100ml bottle of chanel Eau de Cologne. I did some research and found out the bottle was from the 50's or 60's. Having read the comments here, I expected that the Eau the Cologne would be way more overpowering and animalic than the modern version. I was really excited because I like strong, intoxicating, strange scents and for a man this version could be even more perfect.

So I bought the bottle...

The vintage cologne smells indeed totally different from the modern n°5. The aldehydes are way more intoxicating and it's indeed a less flowery but more animalic smell, which I find absolutely fantastic. But I'm a bit dissapointed in it's longevity and strongness. When I use it, I can hardly smell myself. Only when I put my wrist close to my nose I can enjoy this beautifull smell. Some say it lasts all day, I wouldn't second that...

I wish I could be extremely positive about this vintage Eau de Cologne, because I believe in the past things were made much better, but I'm not. The Eau de Cologne definitely smells more like "the real deal" than modern versions, but it's not as strong and overpowering as I thought it would be, based on previous comments...

DAL123
DAL123

Thanks to a fabulous swap with a wonderful Fragrantican (thank you!!) I was able to get my hands on this! And I love it!! My older sister wore this in the early to mid 80's and I used to steal it when she wasn't around. Man did I get into trouble!! I was the best smelling 10 year old in town!! This smells just like the bottle she had way back then. This has a very strong civet with some white florals...just amazing! After just sniffing form the bottle I ordered another on ebay and while it smells slightly different, its just as wonderful. An absolute treasure! :)

Cocochanel4ever
Cocochanel4ever

Finally I had a chance to try Chanel 5 in cologne concentration. I always thought it would be just lighter version of eau de toilette. I bought new sealed bottle of vintage Chanel 5 eau de cologne. I had no chance to try it before buying, so it was blind buy. I was beyond shock after I sprayed it on myself. First let me tell you it's not lighter version of toilette water but very concentrated one! Second, it doesn't even smell like Chanel 5! Yes, if you tried Chanel 5 at Macy's or sephora nowadays version, you won't recognize Chanel 5 in cologne. And it's totally different from edt. Later I read more about it and found out it came out after extrait (pure parfum). I don't know why but it doesn't even smells close to parfum. It's so musky and civetic, these 2 components I can only smell. Nothing else. No flowers, no powder. Nothing except civet and musk. Please don't blind buy like I did. I have Chanel 5 in every concentration and bath line, but I won't keep cologne. Too animalic! Will gladly exchange to some other perfume( here are some of my favorites: cartier so pretty, Chanel 5 edt). Have new bottle, with box. Sprayed once and realized it's not for me.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. On my skin and to my nose, I get bergamot and aldehydes right off the bat. Jasmine joins in moments later together with civet, which at this stage it kinda reminds me of vintage My Sin by Lanvin. Projection and longevity are moderate on my skin.

lorielle99
lorielle99

Despite this perfume being an icon in its own right, it has always smelled offensively awful to me. I want to like it...it's just so bad.

tara.kelly
tara.kelly

A long term love affair.Beautiful floral perfume that can't be out of place. Always stylish

Terese2
Terese2

I honestly do not know what the two main ingredients, aldehydes and civet, smell like. I can only describe the "centering" power of this vintage fragrance. Nothing here panders to likability. No vanilla frosting. No bowl of raspberries. No bluebirds decorating Cinderella's gown with ribbons.

There is a steely, grownup aura here. In fact, this cologne smells precisely how every photo of Coco Chanel looks. Behind those black eyes is an absence of nervousness, or flirtation, or confusion. This is a woman who could give a rat's ass if you accept her.

The initial dab is close to unbearable. Its like a room full of aging flowers held in metallic vases. Hang in there...the shrillness will soon fade. The tamp-down is worth it all; it is simmering feminine certainty. Comfortable- in-your-own-skin has a secure and lovely vintage fragrance.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

Wow -- this cologne is the only cologne I love. I have vintage and new perfume, edt and eau de parfum. I won an unopened powder and cologne set (late 1970s) and I only wanted the powder. I have usually shunned colognes as inferior. Well after reading the reviews of the cologne i tried it and it is devine, gorgeous, lush and I'm wearing it now. It is a must and there's lots on ebay. I'm getting a few more bottles. It's high quality and not a watered down version of the perfume. It's a stand-alone stand-out.

This vintage has strong civet and aldehyde. This feral flower combo isn't skanky to my nose, but is so interestng and complex, exotic even. I dare say the very vintage no. 5 cologne is right up there with vintage Lanvin My Sin. If ypu don't like civet you might not like this. This is seriously great stuff.

And I think it would be wonderful on a man who was comfortable about who he is.

Dinkum
Dinkum

This, and the pure perfume, is what I crave from No 5. I find the EDP a bit stifling, and the EDT, well a bit "meh"...

The civet is just the right amount (and, I might add, since it was discontinued about a quarter of a century ago it´s probably not synthetic civet......?)

Well, truly gorgeous it is. Seek this out, it´s worth it (and I have stocked up... ;)

Jessamina
Jessamina

The girl who every man wants to dance with...and they don't know she's their boss. She's an open mystery. Lioness of perfumes.

Chava
Chava

I was lucky enough to inherit a large bottle of the eau de cologne from my grandmother; I think it's a 1980s version. After the initial blast of aldehydes, Chanel No 5 becomes a powdery musk with a hint of amber and floral. It's the scent of a classy yet sexy lady - you can see why it was Marilyn Monroe's perfume of choice! Also, it stays on all day, literally. I can put it on in the morning, and it's still on at 9 PM; like Marilyn, you can wear it to bed! This one is a true classic.

ChefLynnie
ChefLynnie

Chanel No. 5 is my signature fragrance and I have been wearing it since I was a teenager! All the men in my life have loved it - it has an alluring and enduring scent that is timeless and intrinsically feminine without being cloyingly sweet or too musky... I have tested other scents over the years but have never changed my fragrance. I continually get compliments about how good I smell - the No. 5 is very fragrant and intoxicating without ever being overpowering. LOVE IT!!!!

CathieH
CathieH

This is the only concentration I know of this beautiful perfume. It's beautiful and timeless, and certainly not old-ladyish. I'm not an experienced perfumista I just know what I like. This really does pack a punch though.

My bottle pops into a container, a beautiful Chanel container I know that's not the right word but I just can't find the right word at the moment. My beautiful amber juice is getting low so I am trying to preserve it as much as possible.

It holds a very special place in my heart, my husband (the most wonderful man) gave it to me before we were married, we just celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary on the 9th January and still going strong. I just have to take off the cap take a whiff and I am transported back in time.

swarley_mon
swarley_mon

im 80 years old. i lost my virginity wearing this perfume. it smells like cat piss. ahhh takes me back. in memory or don michealsonmcbutler the 3rd

BonniBrooke
BonniBrooke

My dad gave my mom a bottle of this in the 80s before I was born and she only used half the bottle before giving up on it. She doesn't really wear any scents anymore but I asked for this to give the vintage a whirl. After all, it is iconic albiet controversial.
Truly a feminine scent, I definitely get the floral aldehyde blast at the start and within 20 minutes it's drying down to a powdery floral softness. It's SO VERY POWDERY at this point on me. Really conjours up thoughts of grandmother's talcum powders for me. Feminine, but I'm really sad to say this does smell dated on me. The associations are just too entrenched for me to revive it. I really wanted to love this one and even with these thoughts, I don't think I could part with the bottle, but it's just too... old fashioned for me. Sounds like blasphemy just typing that though. I really get a musky civet towards the end, which doesn't exactly win me over sadly. Happy I got to try it... for free.

TillyWave

I broke this out today as it's only in the 30's and Chanel No5 Cologne wears so nicely in cold autumnal weather.
I adore this scent, to me, after the aldehydes and rosey rich floral heart wear off, it's the ultimate Floral Woody Musk, with a hint of blended white flowers with vetiver, oakmoss, incense, orris root, rooty iris, and sandalwood in the base. It wears dark, deep, and rich...there are a million things going on it smells so damn good!
Anyway it isn't much of a review but I love this EDC and I had to give it some love today.

Scout
Scout

True story: When I was in my mid-twenties, I shared a large apartment with three other women. They were still transitioning from college sorority, what-will-I-do-with-my-life mindset, working part-time. I had a full-time job and was commuting two hours a day. I made friends with a neighbor who had just relocated from Germany. She was German, and her husband was an executive with a company that had just relocated them back to the U.S. She was educated and worldly and lonely; he traveled constantly. She desperately wanted cookouts and parties and conversation. She invited me to her apartment often. I began to feel that she had a crush or some sort of motherly sense of responsibility on me, and my suspicions were confirmed when she handed me a gift bag, with a bottle of No 5 cologne in it. "You are way too intelligent and mature to be living with those girls and carrying on like a college girl; wear this with your suits." At first I was offended that she seemed to be indicating that my taste was tacky; to my nose No 5 was "old lady" and something she herself should have worn. Now that I am older, I understand her wisdom. I wonder whatever happened to her. No one else has showed such kindness since.

motherof3
motherof3

This is brash but classy in your face POW lol not for the timid or shy I always get noticed and compliments

TanteSimone
TanteSimone

The best skin scent there is. I have always wanted to try this as I love the EDT so much and now that I have it all I can say is that it even exceeded my expectations. This is so unbelievably beautiful and soft and dirty. This is all about the sensual civet with a hint of rose and musk. It smells like a very expensive soap and it could pass as a unisex fragrance. My bottle leaked a little during shipping and while it bummed me a bit, it made everything smell old school marvelous.

This is an oriental for me. I get no flowers, no aldehydes, no citrus, just radiant warmth. Think of the best skin musk you've ever smelled and magnify the olfactory sensation it brings. That's Chanel No 5 EDC.

adair58
adair58

Full bodied and sensual, you can almost feel the warmth before you smell it. I buy this used every few years on auction sites, and I adore it more every time, as I know it will one day disappear. More depth and to me, less floral/more civet than her sister perfume, although I like both very much.
My newest bottle is a bit broken down due to age and probably improper storage, but it's still lovely to me.

nero77
nero77

Devastatingly beautiful...

This is something which should be preserved forever as an example of pure joy and beauty. An iconic fragrance. I am male, but I have huge respect for this beautiful piece of art. I my self have worn Shalimar in Eau de Cologne concentration, and like 'krmarich' I actually can't stop myself wearing something so beautiful and timeless as this. It wasn't such a big step for me as I used to love the floral aldehyde feel of "Tabac" by Maurer & Wirtz. Except the later had a prominent tobacco vibe.

The Eau de Cologne is vintage and generally much stronger than the modern formulation. That being said, the floral aspects of it are to die for, and the projection & sillage are astounding.

In short, I just want to say... I think every woman should smell like this at least once in her life. Please, enough with the countless generic teen florals etc. When you get tired of them, and want men to treat you like the lady that you are, you can't make a better statement than this. Timeless.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

Chanel No 5 is Chanel No 5. You must try it! Always have it in your wardrobe. Read the positive reviews and buy a bottle. THERE WILL BE day when you want to wear it. Every woman absolutely HAS TO have it in her arsenal. One of most recognizable and lovely fragrances. I kinda like the Premiere one a little better after having this for so many years. But it's almost like you must own pearls, so you must also own Chanel No 5.

Sunflower9
Sunflower9

I tried to wear this scent in my early 20s as it smelled great on my roommate. However, it did nothing for me. My pale dry skin was best suited to L'Air du Temps. However, now that I've aged, my skin chemistry seems to have changed and I'm able to wear it. Oddly, the final note reminds me of a perfume that came with a childhood play cosmetic set. Incidentally, Fredric Malle has said that if certain regulations are passed, one of the ingredients in this perfume may be banned and the scent will change. (Elle magazine, May 2013)

carolleelou
carolleelou

Wow - just got a vintage 1.5 EDC spray and I haven't smelled so much civet in a long time. First blast of this nearly floored me and I could literally taste it in the back of my throat. Dark, musty, dirty, almost indecent, I am thinking more so with the age of the cologne...and sharp aldehydes almost a burn, but when it settles down...she is a very, very pretty lady. This is not for the faint of heart - I can see why some really dislike this one.

TillyWave

I burst out laughing when I first smelled this. This EDC has the 'aldehydes' that people THINK they are talking about. No 5 EDC is bursting with multi-layered, musky, rich, stinky, offensive ALDEHYDE goodness! My my this stuff is practically illicit--really probably is, as I'm sure the ingredients are now banned by the powers that be.

Anyway the top notes are a piece of living history that no longer exists in perfumery. No way would someone dare putting something this animalaic, this rich and unclean in a perfume!

The topnotes burn off to give a rich, sweet, rosey jasmine, so lucious as to resemble actually smelling from a huge red rose during the month of June...beautiful...the drydown becomes vetiver/leather/wood/incense...also this perfume has a blended quality that most perfumes just don't have anymore, a sense that the scent is hiding something from you, and certain conditions will turn notes on and off.

I highly recommend the EDC...it is easily found on Ebay, relativly cheap, and one-of-a-kind...

stephanie.hamrick
stephanie.hamrick

This is my grandmother's scent, and nobody really thinks about an aldehyde as comforting, but it's the scent of Sunday mornings when I was a child. She barely wears it anymore, but it's always been her favorite. I can't smell any of the No. 5s without thinking of her, but this is hers.

scents4me
scents4me

I just found an old bottle of No. 5, but it's not marked anything but Chanel No. 5 on the bottom, (etched in white), the bottle being black square with a really old, heavy gold metal band, also marked "Chanel Inc. New York-DIST.", and an old black atomizer. It's only about 1.2 oz, about 4" high. I found it at a thrift shop (it was actually locked up in a glass cabinet, with the HUGE price of $2.99). I sprayed a quick spritz on my wrist, took a deep breath after it settled, and what a scent! It is a heavy Chanel No. 5, very beautiful, aged, and with a distinct background of leather. Leather??? Yes, leather. I can't even describe it all as I'm not that versed on all of the "notes" in perfume, but it is definitely wonderful. The only problem is that there's not much left, so I can't exactly drown in it.

As I'm sitting here writing, I have the top of the bottle off, and the scent from the atomizer is right there with me. This is the best find I've had in a long time!

deedoodle
deedoodle

Bought this when I was only 17! My first paycheck, almost the entire paycheck spent on this! That was the beginning of my downfall :)

Henriette
Henriette

What's striking about the cologne version, is that it was much more long lasting than many eaux de toilette of today. I'm unsure this version of Chanel 5 is still available on market, but I remember when I was a little girl an aunt of mine used to use the Cologne version and, after seeing my eyes staring at the big bottle on her drawer, one day she gifted me with it. It was her bottle, half used, half loved and I never used it, but fully loved it, yes. I loved to sniff it and I remember, many years after, when I finally gifted myself with a bottle of eau de toilette (and eventually eau de parfum) that this cologne was more, more, more in any sense. It has the scent of time, of what Chanel N°5 has embodied, it was not the reformulated version, it had a totally different allure, yes. It was beautiful and needed no plastic surgery.

ann.sundwall

I've already reviewed this below, but the weather is growing cooler here again and I just applied CN5C preparatory to going to bed. I like to try things out when I can concentrate on them. And once again it is blowing me away with its beauty.

I think everyone who loves this scent in all its formulations is baffled by those who call it stinky and old lady. But, and this has been said before, if you judge it from the bottle or immediately after applying it, you are really incapable of judging it properly.

At first it is a little, well, dense and maybe even repulsive. But just wait, baring unfortunate skin chemistry, in just a few minutes it becomes the most enchanting, rich, complex floral/woody/musky/aldehydic potion. Moderate sillage, so you shouldn't offend any but the most scent phobic, unless you literally bath in it. It simply isn't overwhelming, so how can it can be "stinky"? "Old lady? Well, fruity, it isn't. Just ease into it. Let it sneak up on you...if it doesn't work with your skin, part amicably and let those who it does work with, enjoy the experience.
Peace out.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I tried this again for the umpteenth time, hoping it will finally smell good on me. Not to be. All I ever get on my skin is heavy rose, a too strong vetiver and musk that then smells like dying or dead roses on someone's grave as a middle note and then a drydown to dried roses in a dusty library book. Depressing. I love to smell this fragrance on other people but it truly does not work with my body chemistry.

celestialstar19
celestialstar19

I have a bottle that is almost empty from my Aunt who was like my mother she loved this and it smelled so lovely on her. When I miss her I open this and it smells so gorgeous I think of her. I would describe this as elegant, romantic, and sweet. Depending on the chemistry on the right person this smells fabulous.

Buckshot
Buckshot

Very original, but not very impressed with this. Found it to be a bit old-fashioned (or classic-like) and most probably for a more 'matured' woman. It tends to linger on for ever and at times could even taste it! so stopped its use. For longevity I give it a 10/10.

LeggysMum
LeggysMum

This is a bottle of Romance....my first gift of perfume from a boy. I was a bit blind to the importance of such a beautiful gift (or maybe not..) but I felt so grown up and sophisticated when I applied this, but more than anything I felt feminine.... and all this at 18. A timeless classic for very good reason.
Perhaps I will have to revisit this beauty and see what I think now? I would certainly try this concentration again, as it tones down this powerhouse, making it more approachable.
I have gone through many fragrance phases....maybe I am ready for this again.

williamvargas
williamvargas

interesting fragrance, i ordered a sample of the eau de cologne splash, small bottle just because i was curious about it, intending for my wife..i received my package..opened it and smelled it, my 24 year old daughter was in the room with me and i asked, hey what do you think of this? she sprinkled some onto to her forearm...sniffed and replied, that smells really good dad, that would smell awesome on you, a very nice cologne smell..i like it.. and i laughed a little and said, it was actually created for a woman...and she looked at me surprisingly..really? ok i guess, but i think it would smell wonderful on you.. i agree, i think i am going to try and see what kind of feedback i get.. i do like it very much myself.. we will explore this one more.
nice stuff though..

laura.linger.3
laura.linger.3

The first "fancy perfume" I ever bought. I was 18 years old. I used half the bottle and moved on to other fragrances, but I kept the bottle with the juice because I am so sentimental. I recently discovered the bottle again, with the cologne still in it, and while the top notes are sharper, the dry down is still "my first fancy perfume" and it brings tears to my eyes when I smell it on my wrist. And that's the whole point of fragrance, isn't it?

tluneau
tluneau

I like Chanel No. 5, but I don't understand the mystique surrounding it. This is just another perfume in my collection, and most certainly not my favorite!

darlingdraven
darlingdraven

Such a rich history, yet I cannot get my chemistry to accept it. It is very mature and from what others have commented smells like body odor. I have smelled it on more mature women than I and it smells just fine, I guess its all about body chemistry and your personal style.

mrshopkins1973
mrshopkins1973

1 of my all-time favorites for Fall/Winter. I can sense the Patchouli and Sandalwood the most.

ann.sundwall

I remember disliking Chanel No. 5 as a child...but then I disliked most of my mother's perfumes. They smelled like...well perfume; not the recognizable flowers or spices which I loved then and still do. However, recently I acquired a vintage bottle of CN5 eau de cologne and although the smell from the bottle was not that enticing, when I put it on my skin the magic happened. This is wonderfully warm, soft and meltingly natural smell on my skin. Not the overwhelming blast in your face of the last decades of 20th Century or the repetitive fruity vanilla sugars/white floral woodys of the current. This is as natural and soft a scent as I have ever smelled. There are roses in there and civet and citrus and a whole world of wonderful things that blend and elevate one's natural scent into something that is so much more and an enduring pleasure.

iulianada
iulianada

This perfume was too much for me. It is perfect for my grandma :P

dlane1953
dlane1953

The blast of aldehydes from this fragrance always knocks me off my feet. It's head-ache inducing. I tried to like it (when I was young, and thought I had to like all the "classics" since they'd been around for such a long time) but it was, and remains, a very cold, sharp-edged scent that repels rather than seduces. Cold as the tomb. My chemistry dislikes all of Chanel. The mystery of body chemistry and fragrances--a whole new world opens before me, and yet I sink beneath the powerful aldehydes she tosses my way, lead weights meant to sink me fast. I would despair but I know there are warming, sensitive, and more skillful perfume houses out there who can offer gentle succor and depth beyond Coco's capability, so I reach out for assisitance and BAM it's there.Thank you Balenciaga, Givenchy,Guerlain, Hermes, La Perla, Rochas, Carven, Caron, you've saved me from death by aldehydes at Coco's hands.

krmarich

A just rediscovered an old friend-my beloved EDC. I secured a bottle dating from around the late 1950-just as Pour Monsier was launched according to the leaflet within the timeworn & tattered box. The bottle is 2.oz and full. This is pure history in a bottle! Its hard to imagine how many people's lives Chanel No. 5 has touched. The contents are as perfect as the day they were produced. Simply amazing for an eau!

Times have changed, yet this fragrance doesnt. As it is fashionably popular for a woman to smell like Carmen Miranda's headdress, this seems all the more relevant as how a woman should smell-civet and all! If women dont want it anymore, I am claiming it! "Style never goes out of fashion."

I have decided to use it on my skin-a man's skin. It (EDC) has always fit me without shouting-"hes wearing Chanel No 5!" This splash lets you control the aldehydes. I am using it as an aftershave and it feels great! The rose(prevents wrinkles) and jasmine(calms me) charge it for the first few hours. The neroli then dominates the composition with whispers of vanilla, civet and sandalwood. I cannot think of something more pleasant to use as a daily shaving toner! It lasts until I retire for bed.

This was the first "feminist" perfume launched in 1921. As feminism has been polarized once more(vanished) in perfumery, Chanel no. 5 has become unisex-at least on my skin. Coco designed it to empower women. In the age of reformulation, men need to use it as well. Now, more than ever is No. 5 important. I enjoy it every minute of every day until this bottle dries up...A little goes a long way! I feel that Coco is standing with me, urging me on, in this sea of fruity body sprays, spray tans and pink jogging suits.

Carabella
Carabella

I appreciate its timelessness on other people. For those who call it an "old lady" scent, please remember that Marilyn Monroe wore this, and had she lived, she would be an old lady now, too. . . but does that make her less sexy? However, on me, it dries down to a scent identical to that of the old drugstore powder "Shower to Shower" so it just isn't either unique, or worth the cost on me. "BOO!" to body chemistry!!!

Nicolee
Nicolee

To me, the most timeless scent out there, ever. I am 41 and have been wearimng since I was 18. Never fails me. Always get compliments. A true beauty.

LillyBunnyBoo
LillyBunnyBoo

Aprildawn - you are a woman after my own heart! This and Obsession are my two most hated perfumes in the cosmos. LOL! Seriously. They BOTH give me really bad headaches, each and every time I smell them. I don't know what it is in Chanel No. 5 - but it smells like something used to induce vomiting to me. And that's not even on my skin (I would NEVER put it near my skin lol)...that's me smelling it on others/straight from the bottle. I hated it long ago, and I hate it now. Didn't smell it for years. Decided to do a test in a department store recently; thought my palate may have matured.

UM, NO. Still gave me an instant headache and made me sick to my stomach. It can't just be the adelhydes...I love the OLD Je Reviens by Worth and that's floral adelhyde, too. Can't figure it out. Whatever it is should be buried in a toxic waste superfund never to be unearthed. XD

calyx93
calyx93

Just found a PRISTINE bottle of this, still in the yellowed cellophane wrap - unopened - in my mother's closet - buried for many, many years. Judging on the look, labeling and other hallmarks, I've dated it to around the very late 60's.

Initially, I was just going to save it and keep it for collector's sake - but the fragranista in me made me open it so that I could experience a well-preserved example of this. The foil seal was a nice touch - and the color of the juice was lighter than examples I've seen online auctions - so the preservation was better than most.

It's beautiful - just amazing. The composition is perfect, and those vintage musks and pre-IFRA materials give it a depth and glow that's really hard to verbalize. This is my mother, during her glamorous period, captured in a bottle. I can smell her furs, her makeup, her pearls and diamonds, her highly-musked hairspray from the time - all of it flooding my brain with nostalgia and wonder.

After decanting a few ml., I used some nitrogen gas to displace the bit of air that had made its way into the bottle and put in into a temperature controlled storage with the other of my vintage treasures. AHHHHH! Today's No. 5, while nice and as faithful to the original as it can be, still seems miles away from this gorgeous cologne.

If you find this for sale, grab it!!! You won't regret it.

sandra.arthur1
sandra.arthur1

Certainly one of my favourites. It's sophisticated and makes me feel great and special when I wear it. It provides that wonderful off balance rose and floral (jasmin, forget me notes etc - so classical scent) note with a dash of wood and earthy scent that last all day. A timeless scent, and in fact the best selling perfume of all time. It generates sales of $100 million a year, so clearly it must appearl to quite a few! As Marilyn Monroe and millions of other woman have said, What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course!

(;-)

ivyellie
ivyellie

I wanted to like this, I really did. Unfortunately though, I'm a seventeen year old girl, and this perfume made me smell like a mature woman. It kind of reminds me of my Gran, maybe she wears it, I'm not sure.
Anyway, the bottle I had was only about 10ml but I'm glad it was only that. Horrible, horrible smell, and lasted for hours, which, in this case, I wasn't pleased about.
It's probably because it has none of my favourite notes in it, and is far too mature for me, but I'd still advise people not to buy it. I don't feel it deserves the fame it has, really. Certainly one of a kind though, I can't say I've smelled it in any other perfumes.

Pumpkin Pastel
Pumpkin Pastel

oh God, i try to like this but one whiff and i'm gone! too bad i love the bottle and the colour of the perfume...it looks sophisticated...simple but elegant....i can't say the same for the smell...>.< what if i buy it and not use it? meh...waste of money....-.-

aprildawntaylor
aprildawntaylor

I loathe this perfume. I hold my breath whenever an older co-worker comes around and I have to leave the area asap. I hate this one even more than obsession for women!!

TWebb
TWebb

Not a fan. Too heavy and overpowering. I didn't like it when I was younger and still do not like it in middle age.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Chanel N° 5 Eau de Cologne is truly gorgeous.

I feel that Chanel's flagship perfume is something of a timeless legend, truly feminine, classic, and masterful. Its only drawback, if one can consider it so, is its tremendous strength and longevity. One spritz of N° 5 will last forever, with little diminishment.

The Eau de Cologne formulation, however, is quite light and heady. Brilliant aldehydes and bergamot off the top notes illuminate the civet, oakmoss, rose, and iris of the central accords. The result is something sheer, classy, and great for spring walks in the park.

This variation is perfect for younger women (mostly of the under 40 set) who want to exude the class and sophistication of N° 5, without the risk of smelling too ripe and stodgy. It's a perfect 10/10.

krmarich

How could I leave the 1920s without mentioning this? It was my first exposure to "Haute Perfumerie". My bottle hailed from 1980 and was a true composition without a note sticking out. Her perfection is stunning, setting the standard for the coming decades! This particular vintage allowed me to "share the fantasy". Indeed, everything after has failed. The current EDT smells like stale makeup and the current EDP tries too hard.

This EDC was why I saved my money and visit Paris to experienced the inspiration. My bottle is long emptied, yet I vividly remember it. It is history in a bottle. How many women have used it? How many hearts did it touch? Mine is one of them...Its sleek, dry, hypnotic and demonstrates the feminine mystique.

anilbajaj
anilbajaj

...bought it for my wife for her b'day last year. Was a little worried considering it is such an old scent, but then its reputation has lasted as many years, so i gave it a try and bought it !

needless to say, the feminine logic put me in the docks so to say; " an obtuse reference to growing old ? " seemed to be thought.
It took a few friends ( my sons friends ie. ) compliments to get her to believe in the magic 1

AveParfum
AveParfum

I have a beautiful vintage bottle. When I put it on the top notes had clearly turned, so I smelled awful. The rancid top notes disappeared after 10 minutes, and I was left with a glorious yet soft whisper of Chanel No5. This is what the EDT should smell like but doesn't. The EDC is closer in scent to the Parfum, while the EDT is powder-heavy. Truth be told, I love No5 in ALL forms. I wish I could try the EDC brand-new from Nordstrom, but alas I may never have the pleasure.

nyoka
nyoka

There is no other that compares with this version.Upon application,u r greeted with a BURST of freshness and aldehydes! The florals spin round and round u while every now and then a magenta rose sticks her head out of the jumble and screams,ME!ME!THe rose is the alpha male here!

The drydown is sweet,powdery and oh so womanly floral,yet there is a woody,earthy even musky trail left behind.

Once a day was enough and u could still smell it the next day! I wish they would bring it back!

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

Yes, thank you to Fragrantica for adding this. This is my favorite concentration of the legendary No. 5, and I know I am not alone. This is nice and about as light as civet and rose can get...still a heady scent. Filled will florals and aldehyde, this to me smells the closest to a freshly cut rose of all of them. It is not as overwhelming as the others and it was my mothers first choice in perfumes as I was growing up. Whenever I got a whiff of those roses, I knew it was going to be a night either with a babysitter, or of a kid friendly dinner party. Great associations with this fragrance, I know I am not alone in wishing this was still offered by Chanel.