Designers » C » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette Chanel for women
dislike

I have it: 1033 I had it: 473 I want it: 247 My signature: 47

aldehydic

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette by Chanel is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette was launched in 1921. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Beaux. Top notes are neroli, ylang-ylang, bergamot, amalfi lemon and aldehydes; middle notes are iris, jasmine, orris root, rose and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are vetiver, musk, sandalwood, patchouli, oak moss, amber, vanille and civetta.

Neroli Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Aldehydes

Baghari 2006

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette Fragrance Reviews

evie71
evie71

Of the classics this is the only one I can take, but I don’t like it enough to want to wear it. I only get amber, musk, and iris. Maybe I’m not old enough to appreciate this and other vintage fragrances or none of them work with my body chemistry. I don’t know.

I honestly wonder if the classics are really that wonderful or we just think they are because of the image associated with the time period in which they were created. (Of course there are a ton of newer creations that are horrendous, so I’m not saying that modern is better.) Chanel No. 5 evokes a very specific image and I can’t help but think that that imagery is responsible for its continued popularity more than the scent itself.

lissielys
lissielys

This iteration of No. 5 is great if the original EDP and Parfum are too heavy for the wearer. The latter two wreak havoc on my sinuses, but the freshness of this one, with the sandalwood and neroli is perfection. If you want a "classic" scent without the "old-lady" smell, go for this one!

LoveMeDo7
LoveMeDo7

I'm a confessed perfume junkie. I have a million-and-one perfumes in my closet, and worst of all, I drag everyone else into my obsession. One after another, I bring sprayed fragrance cards to my husband asking, "how does this one smell," to which he always responds, "it's alright" or "it's OK."

Anyway, I was cleaning out my closet when I came across a bottle of Chanel #5. It was a gift from my sister, and I never used it. I smelled the cap and gave it a spray. To my surprise, my husband said I smelled "good!" Please do not miss the importance of this statement...he said I smelled "good" not "alright or OK" ~ I finally smelled "good!" I told him, "My grandmother, my mother, my aunt, and my sister all wear it, and now me too?" He smiled down at me and simply said, "They all wear it, because it smells good." He's right.

I like the EDT much more than the EDP. It's softer and calming.

Eau do toalette and perfume has been made by Ernest baux
It's complex more woody sensual and more bold aldehyde mixed with all flowers and sandalwood perfectly blended

Eau do perfume it's 80' creation which is more soapy with iris like finished less complex and more one dementional

Go for the best go for eau do toalette

Eau do toalette and perfume has been made by Ernest baux

Go for the best go for eau do toalette

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

Memory is a very powerful tool, and it can sometimes bring the best or worse dependind on the experiences attached to it. I do understand why it's difficult for a man in Europe and USA&Canada to wear something like No 5 or Shalimar. Their memories tell them all the time that they are females scents. But I live in Brazil and we are really, I mean really poor over here. There is no such memories of Chanel no 5 or Shalimar because women at most used to wear Avon. Now there are other deocologne makers ( Natura and Boticario ). So I can wear those two without anyone thinking I am his/her mother at all. We don't have such collective memory about them. And the few people, women, who actually know the scent will problably say "times have changed", just as they say for almost everything young people do these days.

I do wear most Chanel and Guerlain female scents.
I do feel nice wearing them.
I do love them.
Nobody complains about them, quite the opposite.
And frankly looking at fashion nowadays smelling like a mother is the least of weird thing one can do today.

Pluie
Pluie

My favorite scent ever but this edt is SO WEAK for my taste that I spray it every few minutes to be able to enjoy it as I like it.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

At the urging of some women on the men's forum here, I tried this. (I don't normally like women's perfumes or florals.)

My wife is away for a week. I got home from work and took off my dress shirt; I could smell some of the Declaration L'Eau on it from this morning but none on my skin or tee shirt, as I suspected might be the case.

I looked at my wife's bottle of Chanel No. 5 and it looked at me. After some hesitation I sprayed one spray.

BANG! MOM. Seriously, MOM. My wife wears this all the time and she smells like my wife wearing Chanel No. 5. I wear it and I get an instant olfactory impression of my mother! At some point in my life she must have worn this - I don't remember when - but when I wear it I smell exactly like my mother.

Moral: When my daughter was a cute little four year old, she used to suck her thumb. One night, when I put her to bed, she was sucking her thumb, and I told her that that thumb was vanilla and this one - taking one thumb out of her mouth and putting in the other - was chocolate. What did she think?

She pulled the thumb out of her mouth, said, "I don't wike it," and put back in the original thumb.

Chanel No. 5 on me and smelling like my mother? I don't wike it.

arrode
arrode

The EDT is quite a bit lighter than the EDP and doesn't have nearly the sillage. This makes this one perfect for an office scent or day-to-day wear. The first blast for me is actually quite off-putting. I get a lot of civet, strong, strong florals, and aldehydes. After 5 minutes the fragrance calms a significant amount to a near skin-scent on me. Light, classical, and slightly floral. Lots of citrus for those few hours for me as well.

After 3 hours I can barely smell this perfume unless I'm sniffing my arm and by hour 4 it's vanished. If you want to wear this as a day-to-day make sure to bring a bottle with you to refresh mid-day.

A classic and unique smelling perfume, but not necessarily for every woman. It's definitely not a man-pleaser fragrance and I would almost say it's an acquired taste for people now in 2014. I've only come to appreciate it now in my late 20s (I used to shrivel my nose at it), but it will be a wardrobe staple for me.

Henriette

It amazes me a lot reading about enthusiasts (like myself) and those who loathe Chanel N°5.
Certainly the consideration of this perfume - positive or negative it may be - trascends the nose. It's a matter of culture, of age, of education, of the taste you have and you acquired.
It puzzles me one thing in particular: at Chanel HQ Marketing or Sell The Most That You Can Dept. they have sorted out ways to "modernize" N°5.
The same way other brands did.
OK.
It's a fact we must face.
But despite the "modernization" still there are hoards of people out there who regard Chanel N°5 as an "Old Lady Scent".
We all have known a friend's mother, a granny, a teacher, a headmaster, a boss, a someone who has used Chanel N°5. And they must have not been a teenager.
OK.
I wore Chanel N°5 when I was a teenager and was NOT an old lady then.
I still love and wear Chanel N°5 and regret what it used to be, what it smelled like on my granny, on my aunt, on some teachers I had, on myself.
OK.
So, why, oh do tell me, why MODERNIZING something that:
1. Was perfect the way it was;
2. It will ALWAYS be perceived like an "old lady" perfume, no matter what as Chanel N°5 is culture and years that have gone and time passing.
?????
Why?????
That the current Chanel N°5 is by far better than many fashion scents currently selling and cashing $$$$ and poisoning the noses of many of us is a fact.
But also that Chanel N°5 of old (yes!!! OLD) was really the scent of a woman, sophisticated, new (yes, many followed behind and many copied), perfect in every occasion is also a fact.
So WHY????

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Great from the get-go but I miss the loud aldehydes that come from the EDP. Plus, on my skin the lightened formula has an animalic finish.

wendyangeln
wendyangeln

I first encountered No.5 when I was 12. I loved it immediately, but obviously couldn't afford it. Ever the romantic, I decided it would be perfect for my (eventual) wedding. I've managed to be very good about keeping that promise to myself, testing it without buying for all these years (I'm almost 23 now). I've admired both concentrations, but it is the EDP that has been on my radar, and that I always sniff at the store.

Fast forward to a month ago, I was going nuts at Chanel, picking everything up and huffing like a crackhead. I picked up No.5 EDT and sniffed, thought "Wow!", sprayed it on my wrist, thought "Oh my God!" and went on to explore Les Exclusifs. 10 minutes later, I sniffed that wrist again, and... well... my self control reached its limit.

OH MY GOD. I think the EDP is beautiful, but the EDT!!! It is much, much creamier, smoother... it has more 'body', you know? The aldehydes aren't quite as sharp upon first spray, the ylang-ylang isn't quite as loud, the musk isn't as animalic, the powdery accord is more pillowy-soft, and EDT doesn't have that slight sweetness that the current EDP has... basically EDT just takes the edge off the EDP. Also, I think, EDT is closer to the "old" No 5 than EDP is (current formulations).

Interestingly, I also find a very distinct resemblance to Cussons Imperial Leather Soap, which I love!

Longevity is roughly 4-5 hours on me, which is decent for an EDT, and sillage is modest (noticeable but not NOTICEABLE). It has garnered quite a few hug-compliments, to my surprise. I rather expected people to be put off by the old-fashioned-ness, but both men and women have said nice things (and been a bit surprised on hearing what it was lol). I'm a little ashamed of myself for cracking and buying it, but I'm just so so happy with my new love!

NB: I have the bottle with the top that doesn't come off.

Rebemario
Rebemario

After reading reviews, I reached into the cabinet to pull out my old bottle of no 5 eau de toilette, still so pretty and after all this time smelled something so lovely and different from all the lovely vintage fragrances I love. It must be the citrus at the beginning and I thought, well, for some reason it lasts on me even though the common complaint was the lack of staying power. Today I went to Macys and I have to say was deeply saddened at what the Eau de Toilette has become. It stayed on my skin for a fleeting 10 seconds and was gone. Even the Eau De Parfume they had was weaker than my Eau De Toilette. It is sad when the Almighty dollar wins a company over like this and allows people to pay top dollar for a minuscule rendition of what once was. Sad :(
Boo!

Domenica23
Domenica23

good sassy perfume

RozaMoisevna

I found the non-removable version at Harrod's to be very long-lasting and deeper than the other. I tried it both on wrists and paper which I happened to hide in a pocket of my coat for a year, only to discover that it was still smelling :) (a very prominent citrusy note, by the way) Unfortunately, I didn't manage to buy it for myself as it turned out to be rather difficult to find...

To RozaMoisevna:
How interesting to note, it was the removeable cap version I tried and found it very weak. I will try and hunt down the other cap version and see if I notice a difference!

RozaMoisevna

I noticed that there is a slight difference between Eau de Toilette with a non-removable cc cap (shown in the picture above) and that of a removable one. If you happened to smell the latter, it might have been weaker, can't say why. Maybe Chanel is adapting formula with every reissue. Anyway, I was carrying out my "research" both in boutiques and airports and have always come to one and the same conclusion that they do differ.

lizzie81

I love this version, a lovely musky, powdery whisper of no 5 but unfortunatly found it very weak. It does not last on the skin at all (perhaps 2 hours tops), shame, otherwise I would have considered splurging on this one :(

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I already have Eau Premiere which at first smelled better on me than No5. What I didn't know was that No5 edp does not suit me - too dark, leathery, creamy and has less aldehydes to lift the spirit. At a thrift store, someone donated a full bottle of edt - score for $15! On me, edt gives me the right amount of aldehydes with citrus. Florals are still there but not in big bouquets. In the drydown, the vanilla and sandalwood join the aldehydes to keep me happy. I enjoyed the scent throughout the three hours it stayed on my arm (before my shower). Sillage is not big with No5 edt which doesn't matter to me. The less people around me can smell it, the more I can wear it during the day instead of saving it for night affairs. Hubby likes it.

One spray on me:
Sillage: none (about 2 inches from skin)
Longevity: at least four hours

Mooncatt
Mooncatt

I have my mother-in-law's half-full bottle of EDT, from 30-odd years ago.
Her friend, who wears the Parfum, sneered that it was 'no good' by now, but, my word! How heavenly it is!
I tried to tell her that there was an entire movement devoted to vintage perfumes, but she wouldn't hear of it. Oh, well.

Dinkum
Dinkum

EDT is really nice.

But vintage EDC is my preferred version (along with the pure perfume). Hard to come by though. EDT is a nice alternative.

The EDC is naughtier. Hauntingly beautiful - and probably genuine, I´m afraid, since the EDC been discontinued for many years - civet.

Don´t care much for the EDP at all...

CozyCat
CozyCat

This smells really good, very cozy drydown just like the EDP, but less sweet, and a little more dry and powdery. It has a hint of the original Cussons Imperial Leather soap scent (love), whereas the EDP dries down more ambery/creamy and buttery. But the overall mood and scent of the two are similar, feminine, warm, classic, decadent, body products. I got EDP instead because the EDT fades away more quickly. But on me, they are both skin scents, not sillage monsters like I had expected prior to testing them. The opening of both scents are pretty damn strong, aldehydic, room-filling even, but give it 20-30mins, and it is surprisingly tame, abit too tame, even with 4-5 sprays the sillage is on the low side, I have asked people around me if they can smell my perfume, and they had to get pretty close to do so.

These kind of fragrances make me feel warm, happy, womanly and comforted...lounging at home in granny panties and ratty pajamas yet feeling like a million bucks. It's not snobbish or aloof or overtly seductive or glamorous, it's not 'old', NO, none of those...just classic, cozy, warm and feminine. I hate all the marketing campaigns for No.5, I just don't care much for celebrities, dead or living. I have avoided this scent because of that (and yet I know people who go and buy No.5 because they have been brainwashed by all the marketing and fluff, eventhough they don't care for the scent itself...ugh!) Chanel should concentrate on improving the quality (ie. longevity and potency) instead, and atleast for now, stop tricking the masses with fancy ads and documentaries, that's just being greedy.

Dioguh
Dioguh

It don't fills a room, it fills the house. My mom wears it by the morning and I know if she's awake or not.

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

I love love love No5 - I just wish it loved me back! I've tried it many times thru the years, and it just smells like French soap on me. Very sad. *sigh

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Today, for my own edification, I've decided to compare my two week old bottle of #5 with my vintage sample from the 1950's. I am tempted to say that there is no comparison, but strictly speaking that isn't true. They are clearly related. But the difference between them is equally clear: if the modern version is a tenured professor at Notre Dame, then the vintage is a Don at Oxford.

The famous aldehyde top note smells the same in both, but almost immediately the vintage reveals an animal note that in the new has been replaced by something more fruity and reminiscent of baby oil.

There truly is no comparison in the drydown. The vintage shoots past the modern and vanishes over the horizon, leaving in its wake a breath of vetiver and the sweet dust of amber.

I will wear my new #5 without hesitation for day, and the vintage at night when I want to blow everyone's mind.

russian.red
russian.red

for many years i was doing the same mistake that a lot of the reviewers did,i was testing only the eau de perfume without giving eau de toilette a chance. They smell different,as many other Chanel perfumes which are under the same line(Coco for example..edt and edp smell different to me)
I did not like the edp but there was always something that made me try it again and again..And then one day i tried the edt and i fell in love!!It is great!It is everything i was asking for..soft,powdery,sexy,feminine and calming..When i spray it on my mood changes and i feel great!The only downside is that its longevity is realy poor and after a while i cannot smell it anymore, and that it stays really close to my skin, even after few minutes from application
I tried to layer it with the body lotion, but i do not realy like the scent of it..just too soapy and sweet...
I wish i could find a way to keep it on my skin for a longer time..It is a masterpiece indeed..

Jennypennypocket
Jennypennypocket

The first time I tried this I HATED it--It smelled DUSTY.

The second time, I didn't like it--It smelled like black licorice.

Then I watched the youtube video, "For the First Time" on Chanel's channel and I HAD to have it.

And I gave it another chance and another, and...

Chanel No 5 DOES smell like a woman--the BEST of a woman, just like Coco Chanel wanted. And it makes me smell daring and sophisticated, and so different then the masses, who are like ants marching to the same tune.

Stop thinking about old ladies wearing this. As another member said, they were young and elegant once--in their silk stockings and tailored dresses, with their small hand bags and coiffed hair. Wouldn't you rather smell mysterious and daring, than like grape bubblegum and cotton candy?

karrykins
karrykins

I adore this , I adore the pure perfume even more and I have No5 in all formulations sold - but it does not adore me at all because it abandons me within minutes .

I have tried layering with every body product in the range but I cannot keep it on my skin - it just dissipates to nothing.

I love all the classic aldehydic perfumes , Caleche being my 'go to" when I am unsure what to wear.Caleche stays when No 5 leaves - its a totally one sided love affair - unconsummated to my sadness.

I can put this on and within 5 minutes, it has dissipated to nothing at all . The only way I can wear this , and many other scents,is to literally drench my clothes in it so that it can linger .

I have the"hair perfume" and that seems to be more effective than anything else in the range - I lament the fact that Chanel no longer make the poudre (talc) as that was quite effective .

The odd thing is that my husband is anosmic to No 5 - either that , or no matter how much I bathe in the stuff, it just does not want me in the same way I want it .

So sad - but the upside is this; if No 5 had loved me in the same way as I love it, I would never have discovered another perfume, I would have been faithful all my life . As it is, I am a perfume whore with a vast collection - every cloud etc.

joe70062
joe70062

Pearl necklace and twin set. Jackie Kennedy 1950's. Classic and eternal. Try to find a vintage bottle first. It's worth the extra change. True story here...I went with my son to the French Quarter, to visit a local museum. As we waited in line, a family from France were buying tickets. The mother of the family was so chic, painfully thin, Louis Vuitton Neverfull Monogram on her arm, reeking of Chanel No. 5. I thought I was going to die! I wanted to BE her! So chic and fabulous, both of which I am not. But... I purchased a Neverfull,and a vintage bottle of Chanel No. 5. Now I AM her, only a New Orleans version. As a perfume, it is beauty. It is fashion. It is all that is chic fantasy. Buy it!

samlovefragrance
samlovefragrance

n5 edt is a beautiful scent, as long as it lasts; after 10 minutes it dials down so much that it's virtually undetectable unless u stick ur nose..
the opening (which pretty much is all i get from the life of this fragrance) is aldehydes, violet, ylang, nice muskiness and jasmine vanilla touch.. its airy, fresh, bright.
but really chanel? this is the larger than life, diva of perfumes? its more like the sweet, friendly but shy little cousin.
unfortunately wont be paying 100 bucks again for a fragrance that has less longevity and sillage than a body mist.

Animato
Animato

This is a soft, clean, musky and sweet floral perfume. With a lovly clean and warm vanilla drydown. As simple as that.

It is a classy and floral fragrance. The fact that the über sexy and diva-esque Marilyn Monroe would be the face for it is quite strange. Not that I mind! but still..

I love this fragrance after the initial blast of aldehydes. It is in no means a controversial scent to me. It's a sweet, soapy and quiet skin scent. I love it.

(this is for the edT produced in 2014)

caros76
caros76

I want to love this, but I just don't. I find it powdery and woody. Was given to me as a gift. Maybe I might like it more in another 20 years? More suitable for 50+ age group in my opinion. Interestingly though, my husband has complimented me when I've worn this, and doesn't often makes comments about the perfumes I wear.

Elsi
Elsi

Smells like a chypre on me - I like the fragrance but unfortunately not on me :(

smellME
smellME

Finally I own the right nr.5 for me...

I really wanted to own this classic gem -
Who does'n't wanna say Marilyn's line....
when asked what she wear to bed ?

I tried the perfume - too strong, not me and eau premiere -
too aldehydic.
I so got the chance to get this from a swap...
sooo looovely - with the right depth for staying on my body
without beeing to overwhelming and I
really don't get any aldehydes at all in this EdT !
This is my nr.5 !!!

FloridaMom
FloridaMom

Classic and strong, while I love a strong, classy scent with tons of sillage, the aldehydes seem to be excessive. Outside of business meetings and formal gatherings and events, I find it too strong and brittle. I get it as a gift every year, and since I only wear it on occasion, I am going to start gifting the bottles to girlfriends, and asking for Poison or Opium instead (I go through those like water) My Grandmother wore it every day, and my Mother in Law thinks it is the best fragrance to grace the earth, so it does remind me of them, which makes it a little more likable.

Cece.A
Cece.A

I for one don't get the "sexy" in this perfume. It's a complex scent I guess. Very complex and harsh on my nostrils.

ayu_mix
ayu_mix

The first time i get this EDT
fell like a baby powder and now i'm 27
i never smell no5 from chanel before
but i think this smell too old for me
today i spray No.5 before Allure Homme Sport
incredible it's very nice blend and make allure
long lasting more than more...love it ♡

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

This is a beautiful perfume and there's nothing "old" about it. It does smell sophisticated and grownup though, so if that's "old" then so be it.

The EDT is surprisingly light and clean, never overwhelming. I love how it sweetens up on skin. In fact, it smells like skin only better. There's something soothing, comforting and familiar about it.

This would be a great office scent as I can't imagine it offending anybody unless it really disagrees with your chemistry. Heck, I can imagine the person next to me on a plane wearing this and my not being bothered.

I don't know that I feel magically transported when I smell it, but I'm duly impressed. Very classy.

Natalie Carter
Natalie Carter

I first smelled this in my grandma's wardrobe way back when I was a small playful girl. Those days, it smelled so old to me (in a good way). I would say "I will wear this when I grow up". So I guess i have grown up now and bought this scent with a lot of money. I really like it, because it smell classy and like a woman. It has the smell which has an " i have smelled this before" smell. Before, it used to smell like a man. But now, it smells so fresh and nice..........and like a woman!!!!

Contessa01
Contessa01

What can I say that hasn't been said about this beauty? Light fresh yet sexy, every time I wear it I think of Marilyn Monroe, being her favorite fragrance. It's timeless and classy and I think a must have in any woman's perfume collection.

There's a reason this is the gold standard for class and elegance. It's not for everyone, obviously -- this one requires a discerning taste, and the patience to wait for the drydown, at which point it blends with and enhances a woman's own beautiful fragrance. Those who have gauche tendencies will only smell "old lady". Those who recognize this for the prize it is, and who wear it delicately, will be rewarded with the aura of true style and refinement.

This was what Marilyn wore to bewitch and enthrall, and her ability to do both was incontrovertible.

Revontuli
Revontuli

It's now time to review No5 EdT... I recently bought a used one. I of course made a lot of search in the forums and internet about fakes but most info you can find is about the EdP version. Well, it was a very slight chance that mine could be fake as the colour is perfect, the bottle is perfect (Actually the bottom corners are not very symmetrical but I have two other Chanels and they're the same). What made me actually doubt is the unbelievably weak longevity and sillage... But having read the similar comments in the forum, I'm now sure that mine is not fake. It's just a world-famous and loved/hated Chanel that unfortunately disappears on my skin. So disappointing as I really adore it... I get such lovely powdery-rosy notes and only the first few minutes I can enjoy No 5. I'll be hunting an EdP next and I really hope it'll be blasting on my skin!

Edit: I started to spot some "planty" smell at the opening... I've been wondering what it could be. Oak moss, yes... It's a bit strange. But who cares, No 5 EdT doesn't last on my skin anyway... Now waiting for the EdP!

Fabien77
Fabien77

I am a man and I bought it to my humble collection. I think it smells musky and peppery enough to be quite unisex. At least on me. It is clean, cold and dry; I was looking for something like that. The jasmin notes are just un luminous. Here and then I wear it in public. Got some discret compliments. Men should try the EDT.

Pusteblumchen
Pusteblumchen

I find Opium and Nr.5 similar in a way that both are for me "warm" scents. I can't explain it but on both I can track a fine cinnamon smoke when in contact with my body chemistry.

I couldn't smell these scents in my young ages but since I've turned 30 I think my nose and experience opened my senses for the magic of these woody powdery perfumes.

I don't like all. I only use these both. Opium is extremely bold and strong, I keep for days where I need power myself.

5 is pure pleasure. It's not heavy, it's not light... It's simply perfect.

I believe perfumes help us to set our vibrations and mood on the right place. Every woman should try 5 - the lucky ones will wear it ;-)

HollyBiani
HollyBiani

I had to try this based on everyone's reviews. OMG, this is not what I expected at all. By far my biggest surprise from my perfume crawl today. When I think of aldehydes, I used to think White Diamonds. Not the case. Chanels aldehydes you can actually smell as a plural note in this sophisticated perfume. Blends veryy nicely with the ylang.

Elle'7
Elle'7

Over the years I've worked my way through the Chanel fragrances, alongside numerous other perfumes. Florals are my favourite (currently Jacinthe et Rose by E. Coudray).

I wore No. 19 as a teenager, Coco as a twenty-something and Allure in my thirties, which I still use occasionally as a light summer fragrance. Now, I have finally discovered No. 5. Far from being an 'old lady's' perfume, I can appreciate its complexity. Today I've sampled numerous designer perfumes while shopping for fragrance and quite frankly the vast majority smell artificial, overpowering, sickly and sweet. They are neither refined nor understated.

No. 5's top notes do hit you quite hard, but then settle down into a beautifully gentle gauze of basenotes which, on me, have lasted several hours.

I didn't think I'd like it, but I do. I'm going to spend more time with the EDT before I finally buy, but I believe I may have found my winter fragrance. No. 5 is ephemeral and classic. A mature, sophisticated perfume for the woman who knows what she likes.

pipergirl
pipergirl

The opening smells very old fashioned, dated I will admit. I can see how easily one might dismiss this fragrance as an "outdated" scent. But wait 10 minutes - number 5 softens and a beautiful, silky smooth, powdery floral emerges. Elegant, feminine, reserved, subtle, warm..womanly. And polished. Number 5 is a classic for a reason. I love this edt version - very wearable, stays close to the skin.

JezzaN1
JezzaN1

Bought my mum a gift set of this for her birthday today - she absolutely loved it! It is quite easy to see how this is a timeless, classic fragrance. Great composition, the aldehydes and floral notes are what really shine through in my opinion.

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

I'm 17 and I love this perfume. It's just sad that ladies my age call this old lady stuff.
If this was considered unisex and if I wouldn't be considered "the guy that wears #5" I'd by a bottle in a heartbeat.

zayzay
zayzay

I wore the hauntingly beautiful Chanel No.5 quite a lot in the late 70's, and the edt was always my favourite.... but though it pains me to say it, I can hardly recognize it in the latest incarnation. The notes are all there, but they have been cheapened. It smells much more harsh and synthetic. Why oh why did they do this to it???.. its just heartbreaking.

edit - Sorry! I have tried it a few more times now and changed my mind.How shocked I was by the ferocious whoosh of aldehydes!! I had forgotten just how potent some of these aldehydic classic scents are. Now that I leave it to settle, and don't put my nose right up to my wrist, this is still a complex, beautiful creation.

seawife
seawife

Started wearing this again after a break to wear Angel on and off since it first came out back in the 90's. To me, Chanel #5 is a true perfume where Angel is an experience. Chanel is class, elegance. There is more of a synthetic smell initially that I don't get with other perfumes. Very long lasting. Powder, musk, flowers, it's just lovely. Definitely one every woman should have in her collection. Of
All the Chanels , I like #5 best with Coco a close second.

RedHeartSunglasses
RedHeartSunglasses

I love all the formulations of No. 5, but this is the one I reach for the most. The musks, amber, and orris are all so skin-like, and the florals and aldehydes just shimmer away. The impression is of a girl who creates a spray of stars every time she waves her hand. It's warm skin, baby powder, and pixie dust. It's sexy and innocent at the same time, which is just my style.

If patchouli didn't go woody and powdery on me, everything I love about it would be lost. If patch is more green and camphorous on you, you might want to stick to the EDP or parfum.

mikeydee
mikeydee

Smells like Dial Gold soap. I cannot tell the difference...

Clws
Clws

Elegant.

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

After being a self proclaimed fragrance junkie for a few years now, I decided I couldn't officially have a matured & complete collection without having a bottle of the ultimate classic, Chanel No 5, in the mix.

I opted for the Eau de Toilette as it sat better on my skin than the parfum did and I also wanted to wear it during the day, which I felt the toilette would be better fitting for.

To me all truly fantastic fragrances do not have a gender, but more something that should be enjoyed by anyone that will appreciate it whole heartedly, I am a man and I feel perfectly confident to wear No 5 in public, and I think it sits very well on my skin.

Wow, the dry down on this Toilette is just stunning, you can really see why this is called the ultimate classic in perfumes. You can really smell the aldehydes, powders and woody notes on the dry down and creates an aroma which seems to fit perfectly into any situation.

Some believe No 5 is outdated, and has an 'old lady' smell, I don't see this at all, it just isn't as linear and boring as all the new girly and sweet fragrances being released on the market today. If you feel this is too 'mature' for your taste, 'Eau Premiere' in the No 5 line is a lovely more modern update of the classic.

If you are a true perfume lover, you must own No 5 at some stage, it will complete any collection.

mystica

Believe it or not, but I wear this better in summer. Chanel No:5 EDT is such an aldehydic burst that it needs skin, a good deal of naked skin so as to burst open, radiate and mesmerize fully.
Wait a minute, did Marilyn Monroe really know something when she said that she had worn it to bed, nude?.. I think yes.

Princess Adora
Princess Adora

I'm really sorry but I do not get this,the fragrance is way to strong and extremely soapy,it is very bitter and overpowering for my tastes,I can see this for a woman with a strong personality but It doesn't suit me unfortunately.

Jomoves
Jomoves

I had very fond memories of this one and was a faithful user during the 80s. Soft, sexy, musky and animalistic, From the boardroom to the bedroom Chanel No.5 was never out of place. Women wore it by the bucketload and men loved it.

Well, those memories have been well and truly shattered after testing the latest formulation. If you are seeking a synthetic and unpleasant dupe of Lauder's White Linen and don't mind paying a fortune then this is the juice for you. And let's not forget that reduced longevity!

While I'm sure Marilyn wore the vintage version of No.5 to bed to entice her lovers I suggest wearing the current version to bed only if you want a solid nights sleep. No man will want to be anywhere near you.

LisaMari
LisaMari

For me it's citrusy to a fault - it becomes bitter and metallic. There's too much aldehydes.

Mrs.Hollywood
Mrs.Hollywood

When I smell a bottle of chanel no.5 in the store it brings me back to my teenage years. I started using it when I was twelve. I would drown myself in my mother's perfume so I could smell it on my skin all day long. She eventually got sick of sharing and finally bought me my own bottle. I could never get enough of the fragrance, constantly sniffing my wrists. It was that amazing. I just loved it! I used no.5 for years after that. It's a complicated scent. I can't point out why I loved it so much. And still do! Although I haven't owned a bottle in while, since I was introduced to coco. But it's just so soft, sweet and yet elegant. It will forever remain one of my favorites.

Henriette

The most talked about perfume in the world for sure, what more to say?
I have been using Chanel N°5 ever since I was in my early '20es; then I loved it because it made me feel grown up, elegant, perfect. I also used a ton of other loud fragrances so much in vogue at the time (Opium, just to name one).
Chanel N°5 has never been my top favourite, but it has always had a place in my drawer. It's my comfort blanket, the only scent I never get tired of applying, no matter the season, the weather, the mood.
If it enjoys the status it has it must be for a good reason and I would say a well deserved one.
Among the various versions my most favourite is the long gone Eau De Cologne which was longer lasting than all the others, a strangeness indeed as usually the Cologne version is the most evanescent.
My most favourite now is the Eau de Toilette but not the most recent formula which has gone weaker and more citrusy in the top notes.
The least loved by me is the Eau de Parfum which, when it came out, I hurried to buy. It's a totally different perfume, totally changed, it doesn't have any of the softness I love so much in the Toilette version.
For me Chanel N°5 is like an old friend, one whom I do not need to call every week, one I do not have to talk to not to lose touch. She's there, for me, any time, always, forever. Always a friend, never a fiend.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

I cannot for the life of me understand why Chanel "No.5" is so revered in the perfume world as a timeless classic. To my nose it smells very dated....Edwardian almost. It is not, as the ad campaigns featuring various Hollywood starlets would have you believe, a demure enchantress giggling as she steals out the door, silks a flutter. It is in fact a heavy, synthetic bath bomb that victimizes everyone within a five foot radius. A soapy mixture of flowers and detergent, with a sillage so thick you can almost taste it.

Perhaps my relationship with this scent has been marred by the memory of my grandmother literally dousing herself in the stuff during a family drive to the country, where I spent a full hour with my head out the window, trying to escape the brutish soap fog.

Sorry to all the No.5 fans, but I find it repugnant.

kakamelia
kakamelia

I've tried it today, having no idea, how would it smell. From the first sniff I knew I love it and I'm sure more and more about it. In first hour it was reminding me my Intimissimi-just pure talc. But after an hour it had changed to a scent which reminds me my Paco Rabanne La nuit. So this is the fusion of my two favourite perfumes and I must have it in my collection;)
So firstly I smelled talc and than it has been smelling like sandalwood and civet for cca 4 hours, so I believe in quite good longevity of this lovely drydown.
I just need to compare it with the perfume to decide what suits me better and to reveal which I will wish. Thank God Xmass is comming :D

aura2424
aura2424

the first perfume i got for myself ! just a single spritz and i am surrounded by an aura of sophistication.such a lovely flowery cloud around me.however it does not last. after an hour hardly a wisp of fragrance then all gone.this is one i really love and wish would last longer .

passion4fashion
passion4fashion

I wore this to school one day,
the air was cold and crisp.
just when my friend and I were conversing,
another classmate interrupted us, she sniffed the air
"I smell something powdery...", then everyone started sniffing.
And what smelled of powder and soaps? Yes, Chanel No.5 EDT that I wore! :D

It's beautiful, it's clean and inoffensive,
it's safe to wear it to any occasion and anytime.
Pricey but worth every penny. :)

I can actually picture a group of spoiled, rich girls dressed in expensive white dresses, sitting around a table in cafe, they are gossiping and giggling, shopping bags are piled up at their feet, and they smell of Chanel No.5 EDT.

p/s:sorry for my English, not a native speaker. ;D

Glennie8118
Glennie8118

Got this fragrance as a present about 5 years ago. Nice enough, does not warrant all the hype. Maybe just didn't work on my skin, just smelled old. Didn't finish the bottle and finally gave it away. Chanel 19 (my signature) or Coco, in my opinion, are the main players in the Chanel house.

Anatares
Anatares

A masterpiece.
Subtle, sophisticated, feminine.

DianeL
DianeL

Very warm smell, a bit powdery, expensive but worth every penny!

cmagot
cmagot

Aldehydes, aldehydes everywhere!!! I find this more easy to wear than the eau de parfum, but I think the Eau Premiere is the one that takes this legend to a sustainable level for the new generation!

LolaLoCer
LolaLoCer

At first I thought this was really sour smelling and too strong for my nose, but the dry down has some elegance to it. My mom used to wear this all the time. Though this smell isn't for me, I have to admit it reminds me of the movie "When Harry met Sally" for some reason. Maybe because of the fall/winter feeling of it.

Caramelle
Caramelle

Chanel No.5 Eau de Toilette is my oldest perfume love.She has been with me for 3 decades.
Of course,my love for her is no longer as fiery as it was, but I know I can always count on her on difficult days knowing she will not offend me or others or turn on me.She feels as comfortable and smooth as a cashmere sweater.

Her secret is she is a classical beauty and timeless.

rockegg
rockegg

I cannot for the life of me understand why this is the most famous fragrance in the world. I have tried many times to love it. I have some now. It's soapy and fresh and slightly weird. I don't get all this "sensual" and "sexy" other people get. My best guess as to why people react so differently to it is that it has so many different ingredients that people are literally all smelling something different. And of course, what constitutes "sexy" is more of a learned response. I think my first exposure to Chanel No. 5 was scented soap.

flylikeacg
flylikeacg

i HATE this perfume with a passion,HATE IT. i don't understand why people like it so much and i dont understand why this scent is even under the brand name CHANEL , sorry this is just MY OPINION on the fragrance , thank god i didn't buy it, the first spray on my hand with the tester just immediately made me think of those air fresheners that they spray in high end toilets / washrooms / bathrooms , thats what it reminds me of. i'm sorry to those who love this, yes sure it does smell a little feminine but too powdery for me. No, just no , this perfume is a no go for me, definitely, never will i pay $200+ for a perfume that reminds me of a high end hotel toilet.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I am so glad I tried this version - there's really a lot to be said for trying the different concentrations or flankers if the original isn't quite right.
I've come to very much appreciate No5 EDP, however the impeccable dose of aldehydes never quite sat very well on me. The EDT version is rather different. I would say that if you really dislike the EDP I'm not sure you'll be sold on this one, but I find the EDT very enjoyable indeed.
No5 EDT opens with a warm sparkle of aldehydes and immediately is joined by a wonderfully full and cuddly ylang ylang. This opening makes it distinctly a little bit sweet, not an aspect I'd ever felt in the EDP. This is a refined, floral sweetness of course, but gives it an air of approachability that the EDP doesn't have. This initial sweetness calms with the slightly soapy and clean jasmine and this remains a clean warm skin floral blend for these opening stages. However the longer this wears on your skin the more the animalic undercurrents begin to peak through, particularly the musk and even a hint of civet, normally a note I detest, but works well here, adding a bit of darkness and mystery. I don't feel much woodiness in this scent at all, and even the powderiness is very muted, especially compared with the EDP. The star for me is the ylang ylang which just melts beautifully into the skin.
This is the kind of scent that I enjoy - kind of the way some people would a fine wine I suppose. It's a little more casually sophisticated than the EDP, and very versatile. Do I want a bottle? Yes, a pretty big one too, which I'm sure I will use up very quickly. Is it a lighter, slightly paler and sweeter version of the classic EDP? Yes. But these aren't detractors, they just make it easier to bring this beautiful scent to a wider audience. If I'm honest, I still prefer the delicacy of Elixir Sensuel, but until they decide to provide it in either an EDP or EDT I will happily take this.

JMekarwati-69
JMekarwati-69

Back reminds me of my oldest sister long time ago 1990,she was love this perfume, but I try to buy it as well in 1999

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

I received this eau de toilette in a swap, in a gorgeous black and gold refillable case. I never really tried it before, but I had tried both the heavier, thicker eau de parfum and the lighter Eau Première (lovely fragrance, but just empty compared to this one) and I was told that the eau de toilette might be the perfect N°5 for me.
And my oh my, were they right!
N°5 is warm and soft and caressing, but so light and fluffy at the same time.
Weightless cashmere...
Comforting hugs...
It's clean, but not sharp. It's sweet, but not candylike. It's warm, but not heavy. It's an all occasion perfume without ever being boring. Warm enough to be comforting in winter, but light enough to be wearable in summer too (at least the summers we have in Belgium).
It's so abstract. I can not detect a single flower, fruit, or any other scent. It smells of understated elegance and pure happiness.

maggiefung
maggiefung

it's a classic, powedary and cute perfume.
but the scent is not lasting and finally turned powedary.

opheliasophia
opheliasophia

I read somewhere it was supposed to smell like 'fresh laundry' - not sure I get that from it - but I love it, makes me feel elegant and old-fashioned in a good way... sort of almost prim and proper perfume...

samer007
samer007

i love the chanel house; n.19, coco, egoiste, so many unique high quality perfumes. but seriously the current eau de toilette version of N.5 is so fleeting it doesnt make it to the 1 hour mark. during the 5 minutes when i can still detect a scent on my wrist, it's a cleaner less civet-wax version of the eau de parfum. the aldehydes are cooler and leaner. it's a beautiful scent... 5 minutes later it's already gone. come on!
i've had this issue with most chanels in edt; N.19, Cristalle and now this. as much as i love chanel this is wrong!
3 stars.

nero77
nero77

Vintage EDT.

A truly perfectly balanced floral done in the way only Chanel could do. It is delicate and classy as well as being alluring and sensual, as if giving off a warm glow around the person who wears it, like a soft, golden "aura" following them.

It is subtle, but it compliments your own natural skin beautifully and it a natural way... as if enhancing your presence and making you feel beautiful and confident at the same time.

Ernest Beaux, the genius that he was, knew women so well, this fragrance seems to work and adapt differently on each persons skin. It has universal appeal... and works well with women of ANY culture, creed or generation. There is a reason why this one is hard to beat, even after 90 years, and why it will still be around 90 years from now.

samloves

I normally wear the EDP and was given a 50ml bottle of the EDT as a gift. I really don't like it. It just turns to powder and even though I have said in a previous review (EDP) that it is a timeless scent, the EDT is a bit old lady to my nose. Anyone want a swap? I have sprayed it about 10 times and just can't bring myself to like it.

dormir6
dormir6

Gorgeous!!!! The EDP was slightly chaotic on me, but this one is delightful! Powdery, young, sooooo different from those mass products on the market. A real woman, lei, nő, madame!!!! Would this be old??? NOOOOO! Perfect. Soft, mild, white, distinctive. Not celeb, not girly, but all the real female values.
I grow to like it more and more! Not an old lady or an "aldechyd skeleton". For me it represents all the kindness of a good hearted but a little bit reserved young woman. A woman who has stamina, grace, power and selfesteem under the veil of a delicate, young, clean body. A woman, you have to get close to her and pay attention just to get a hint of her inner beauty. She's not a cheap one! She's the real ONE!

CoolBreezes
CoolBreezes

I am overjoyed! I had always tried the EDP of No. 5 and we just didn't mesh. I'd try the tester each time I could only to have to put down the tester, look at the bottle with wistful longing, and walk away. Today, I picked up what I thought was the EDP (again) and marveled at what greeted and continues to greet me. Well...it's the EDT!! And it is wonderful!

The aldehydes are crisp, the sandalwood smooth, the florals elegant, and the lasting power incredible. It is classic and sophisticated like no other.

Some things are just meant to last. :)

LuizaNasta
LuizaNasta

I have only had No 5 EDT for 5 years, but it opened a doorway for me to a new found respect and appreciation for classic perfumes that I didn't understand before. This is the only Chanel I love and own (for now), and like many others here I prefer the EDT to the EDP.

A true legend in the fragrance world and in history. The words that come to mind when describing it are; elegant, sophisticated, luxurious, feminine, clean, soapy, powdery, soft, well balanced, confident, powerful, iconic, timeless, and above all, still original and superior compared to a lot of perfumes that are out being sold today.

To me, it is similar to Janáček's 1926 'Sinfonietta' final movement: it begins with a hint of suspence perhaps even confusion over the notes... next a realisation that this might just be the most beautiful scent you've ever smelled... then suddenly the happiness builds within you even more when you discover that you are in love and your heart beats fast and you hear trumpets... until finally everything plays magically together with a rhythm unlike any other... ending with a perfect climax of a finish!
Chanel No 5, no doubt, is a masterpiece composition.

Thank you Ernest Beaux & Coco Chanel for this superb jewel of a fragrance that has stood the test of time.

Germany
Germany

One of my favorite classics. I don't wear it on a daily basis because I love all kinds of scents. But I love to wear this on occasion. It's so elegant. It's like an expensive soap. It's a graceful lady. Wealthy and beautiful. It's chanel # 5. A scent to STAY for ever. A legend in the fragrance world and in history.

benzippo
benzippo

Had finally grown to like No 5 and am now trying to purchase every single product from the line.

So far had aquired the parfum, edp, edt, eau premiere, bath oil, body lotion and velvet body cream all at one go.

Despite the splendid fragrance, the lasting power be it the parfum extrait, edp, edt and eau premiere is very poor on me. Thus have to layered it with either the body lotion or body cream to make it last a little longer. Maybe say 4hrs to 6 hrs at the most before I need to repeat the whole cream and fragrance spray cycle again for touch up to re-fresh the fragrance on me. Since I like the fragrance so much, this does not seems to bother me.

The ones that I have are all present day formulations which I believed, smells closer to Eau Premiere especially the body cream. The body cream I bought is the made in US version whereas the tester is the made in France version and both of them really smell different despite retaining the NO 5 signature accord. The Made in France version smells very close to the parfum extrait whereas the Made in US version smells lighter and is closer to Eau Premiere thus made me concluded that it has certainly been tweaked. Would love to one day, experience the vintage parfum version and compared the difference.

flying_colours
flying_colours

I didn't get the appeal of this perfume until I tried the EDT. The EDP is so harsh and has a weird public toilet smell to me. I believe those liquid soap manufacturers keep imitating it. The EDT is a lot more pleasant. Softer, more powder and less soap. It dries down to the most exquisite, comforting floral scent. It smells clean, reminds me of baths and talcum powder, and for some reason it reminds me of my mother even though she's never really worn it. It's comforting. To my nose the EDT and the EDP are still recognizable as versions of the same fragrance, but if that sharp soapy odor of the EDP has always turned you off you may enjoy the EDT. Which, according to some of the reviews I've been reading, is actually closer to the original 1921 scent than the EDP. Bonus! I only wish it lasted longer on my skin.

pinkpulp
pinkpulp

To me this perfume is like a fur coat, heavy, rich, elegant and glorious but i wouldn't like to wear a fur coat every day, maybe in 20 years.

kabelaced
kabelaced

Boy oh boy, was I surprised! I got a ton of samples of perfume and kept putting off putting this one on, because I was so scared it would be this huge scent that smelled super powdery - definitely not a "me" kind of scent.

Put on a few dabs right after my shower. Gosh, what a soapy smell! I loved that. On the drydown it's turning into a musky scent that sticks close to the skin. It's warm and golden, but not super spicy.

I have yet to see what it turns into next, but I am really caught off guard that I would like this scent (stereotyped an "old lady" smell). Just goes to show: if you're unsure of a scent, buy the sample vial so you can try it at home!

missliberty11
missliberty11

I've not been a big fan of Chanel no 5, maybe because many older ladies I've known in my life and one friend who is quite the dominant personality have this as their signature scent. So for years I didn't want to like it, except for the body lotion which I've found "luxuriously good smelling"! However, I've started to get more and more into Chanel perfumes, with the result that I now own a collection of 6 Chanel fragrances, all either bought at a bargain price on ebay or given to me as Christmas present. I have decided to give Chanel no 5 eau de toilette a new chance and have to say that I really like it. Upon the first spray, the flowery top notes wrap you up in what I would call a very luxurious and ladylike scent. As a little girl, I had smelled this on my aunt, not knowing what it was. But for years I was searching for that scent, until I finally asked her and she said it was Chanel no. 5. I didn't know however that she used the Eau de toilette version instead of the eau de parfum which I don't like as much. The eau de toilette is beautiful to me, and now that I am nearing my 40s, I feel that I can wear it well instead of it wearing me! I sprayed it on with a bit of hesitance, but have to say that I rather like it, because it is discreet enough if you dab a spritz behind each ear and on both elbow crease. That's how I have to wear Chanel fragrances, as they would be otherwise overpowering. Chanel no 5 eau de toilette has beautifully composed top notes and I smell more the neroli, ylang-ylang and bergamot than anything else. The middle notes are the best, and on me I think the lily of the valley note comes out strongest, along with a bit of jasmine. I don't care that much for the base notes however, and they fade rather quickly in the eau de toilette version.

All in all, I like this scent very much - loving it would be not the right word, but when I use Chanel no 5 eau de toilette, I feel well composed, elegant, natural, feminine, clean, well groomed.
If you have read my review about eau premiere, I don't really like it at all, as it is supposed to be a lighter version of Chanel no 5 eau de parfum.
I think Chanel no 5 eau de toilette is a great fragrance for women who are looking for a feminine, elegant and classic scent that is not completely overpowering. It also smells different on each woman, so I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that millions of women use it.

boruvka44

Bath oil smells exactly like pure perfume. The bottle is huge and just to look at the amount makes No. 5 lover happy:)

sanzioonofre
sanzioonofre

I love musky fragrances and realizing that many of them reminded me of Numero 5, now I prefer wearing the 'original' scent as my musk fragrance. I love the eau de toilette concentration which for me is more similar to the parfum than the eau de parfum.

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

I see many others complaining about the reformulation of this scent, but I cannot agree. To me, I feel this scent retains its character exactly, since the first spritz of No. 5 EDT always, ALWAYS conjures up the image of my mother getting ready for a night out - red lipstick, fitted jackets, heels. It is the same visceral reaction and I adore it. No. 5 EDT is a gorgeous creation, light and glittering aldehydes over a softly soapy concoction of jasmine and rose, and a subdued vanilla. It is sophistication and taste in the first spritz, even down to that salty fizzy jasmine note in the top, and fades to the sexiest lived-in somehow-unpowdery powder that ever was. If Shalimar is the flapper who tangoes, No. 5 is her quieter friend who sits at her table in the black jersey dress smiling at the Theodore Kosloff look-alike nearby.

To appreciate this you must love aldehydes and be able to at least tolerate civet. On me all Chanel No. 5 smells like is hairspray, lemon and uh, civet juice. Can't see anyone being on the fence about this fragrance unless they're from an era more accustomed to this style of perfumery.

Norgirl
Norgirl

oh God i love this beauty.. What happend . i had a big bottle off this one far back and did not like it t all. to loud to much could not even try to like it so i gave it away.
But then i got to test the No 5 premier and found love so somthing was going one.. hm. so i desided to try and find this aswell . an just got a test off this and have tryed it a few days now.. and wow .. i am so amazed . this is the Edt Vintage version . and i LOVE it its so clean ladylike . cheak ,modern, classy it fits into every description off happyness to me ;)
I feal the sparkely citrus blending so well whit Ylang ylang and Iris, this is the most prominent notes on my skin , but offcourse there is more to this beauty.
There is defenetly a powdery touch in here . but in away that just make it warm and comforting on skin . I like powdery so for me its a good thing. But i would say to others that does not like this . try it anyways, this is so jummy ..
So what happend .. maybe i tryed the edp and it was to strong for me . or maybe i just grown up ..This i nead to have regardless on previos failior.. From hate to Love .. so much fun to test again

Castiel
Castiel

This EDT is my mother's scent, as well as my grandmother's. I remember being a little boy and seeing my mother use it after she's finished doing her makeup. I was so fascinated. I remember asking her what "no 5" means, she would respond with "It's NUMBER 5, the No. stands for NUMBER, not 'no' "
This fragrance is a piece of history, and will remain one.

When Chanel No.5 EDP proves to be too much for some, they turn their attention towards the EDT. This concentration is less 'in your face', and a touch more floral.

The EDP is one big, powder-bomb masterpiece, but as much as I struggle to do it justice by wearing it, I am not convinced that I would substitute it by wearing the EDT. As much as I hate to say it, Chanel No.5 EDT pales in comparison to the EDP.

It does not have a commanding presence, nor does it last like a typical Chanel fragrance. One spritz and Chanel No.5 EDT is as soft as a lightly scented soap, almost gone four hours later. I would rather shell out a few more bucks to own the EDP or settle for Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere instead.

In terms of composition, the aldehydes are less sharp and tend to sparkle more in the opening of the EDT. The ylang ylang and iris blend is also dominant, however it prefers to be more sweet than powdery.

It's up to the individual to decide which concentration of Chanel No.5 works best for them. As for me, I'm going to continue favouring the EDP and replenishing my No.5 Eau Premiere.

lupereira
lupereira

Chanel N 5 smells like new stuff, clean and clear. Very classy and feminine. It's a perfectionist one's scent, smart, clever and nice. She is perfect, detail oriented and dresses impeccably. A synonym of perfection. Really a masterpiece.

Rachelyn
Rachelyn

This morning I chanced upon an old bottle of No.5 EDT. Must be 5-6 years old, but still smells fresh (it was at the back of a cupboard so would have been kept cool and in the dark all that time).

I'm on the fence about it; back in my late 20s and early 30s I loved it and it loved me, and I often had comments of the "OMG you smell gorgeous" type.

It wouldn't get that now. I wonder if it's the reformulation - there has to be a reason it got pushed to the back of the cupboard, n'est ce pas? - or possibly it's my post-menopause chemistry.

At any rate, the florals, which were so prominent in my younger days, now seem to be pussyfooting around just under the surface, dominated by a clean soapy sandalwood - which is actually quite attractive, but certainly not what I remembered.

I may give it a few more tries, but really only just for old times sake. It's sort of like spotting a lover from 20 years ago across a crowded room, only to find up close that while he's still handsome, the swoonworthy pecs and abs have turned into a paunch. Disappointing, you might say.

missdeeblue
missdeeblue

Hmm Chanel No5 .. classic indeed. Trusty, classy, clean,
Black Boucle skirt suit, Chanel quilted bag. me. This.
I wouldn't say 'aged' but many would. I don't think I have crossed paths with a human who doesn't know what they are smelling, whilst i'm wearing this. Don't expect a 'omg what are you wearing' comment. but expect 'Chanel no5, yes, very classy, very nice' If that same person wants to be cruel they would end the sentence 'oh reminds me of my Gran - she wore it' I walk away, in disgust! Very very nice though.

MatheusPresotto
MatheusPresotto

Surely this time I found my signature scent!
Chanel No5 perfume is incredibly easy to fall in love, is one incredible floral aldehydic woody with creamy background (base notes reminded me very Samsara by Guerlain). As soon as sprinkles, already feel the aroma of aldehydes and floral (rose and jasmine), which intertwine so magical and delicious, and as this happens the ylang-ylang is embracing it all. When the base notes come I can only feel the Sandalwood with a hint of vanilla (but not sweet vanilla, this smells like vanilla talc).
To give the flavor note 10, 7 sillage, longevity 7.
This review is about the recent formulation EDT

shahab.zaidi
shahab.zaidi

Bought it for my sister. Is it only me who get the weak sillage? I hope so its not fake :(

amelie
amelie

"Working on creation of this perfume, Ernest Beaux created and for the first time used the synthetic component – aldehydes. In his formula the aldehydes are accompanied by fragrances of rose and jasmine. The fragrance of aldehydes is pure and fresh, reminds of the odor of clean linen just brought in the house form the fresh frosty air. It is said that the famous creator drew his inspiration for creation of this fragrance from one of his visits to the Arctic Circle and the smell of water in midnight. The unique smell of frozen lakes and rivers fascinated him so much that he decided to replicate it in his creation."

This is the best description,IMO (copied from No.5 foreword), nothing to add.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Approaching Chanel No5 is like nearing the Eiffel Tower.

It's a monument, an icon, a piece of history.

Just as Gustave's construction - only in it's thirties when Coco unleashed No5 on the world - occupies every vista in Paris, so this scent glowers over the world of perfume.

It is ever-present, in the background, watching as the city beneath takes shape.

And as surely as Monsieur Eiffel's wonder is male so Madam Chanel's is female. To women of a certain generation and perhaps more to men of a certain age Chanel No5 is perfume. Chanel No5 is woman.

But what kind of woman is she?

Some will say that she is a Dowager in an ancient moth eaten tweed two piece: earings too large and lipstick too rouge, a relic of another age.

But neither is she, anymore at least, a little low cut black dress, all barely concealed cleavage and scarcely restrained sexuality.

No5 is alive, still stylish in a navy trouser suit, cut razor sharp by Saint Laurent. She is intellectual, forceful, political, opinionated, passionate. She is her own woman.

Every encounter starts with that legendary fizz, not bone dry champagne like Ma Griffe or Miss Dior. This is the alkaline effervescence, the plink plink fizz of of two tablets thrown into soda water to stave off the effects of another night before.

The heart is floral, but no bridesmaid's corsage. These are flowers, wrapped in paper, bought on an impulse by No5, or, more likely, an helpless admirer.

There's fur too. Something decided and animal skirting round her ankles, ready to bite. But not as much as there once was: still fur but no claw now.

As the day wears on (after an argumentative debate with old friends over lunch: fingers snapped, voices raised, old battles re-fought) so the mood softens. The suit is readjusted,the hair put back in place, powder reapplied.

But fear not if Ms Chanel needs to re-establish her authority at any moment, the plink, plink fizz can be called upon. No No5 woman ever leaves home without a vial in her her handbag.

No5 is admirable, admired and respected.

Is she loved?

Yes, though most especially by men, and women, who remember her in her prime.

But even for those with no liking for her she is necessary: an example in elegance, an exercise on growing old and gaining power gracefully.

And as for me, I adore her.

But of course, here's the rub: I am a mere man, so can I ever hope to spray and go on my way with any confidence?

To a degree: there's no earthly reason why the soft rich fragrance that No5 melts into shouldn't sit confidently on my skin. But No5 was never of this Earth.

I can only be at ease if I appreciate and accept that to wear No5 as a man is not merely to put on perfume, it is to make a statement in scent. Others will recognise No5, others will know what I am doing, my number will be up.

I'll take my chances. Spin the wheel croupier. Number five. Black.

Migalex
Migalex

It seems to have been reformulated again recently and I mean one oor two months ago. The opening is softer and a bit different and the drydown smells like a softer version of Samsara and is now much less powdery. Funnily enough, I do like it much better now, mostly for the stronger resemblance to Samsara.

iamjennyrobyn
iamjennyrobyn

This was another gift given to me. I loved it's powdery and sophisticated scent emanating confidence and strength.

avongirlsatx
avongirlsatx

All time classic. It represents the Glamour of Old Hollywood. Yes, not every scent is for everyone but this is one that will live on forever. Whether you like it or not.

eaudetoile
eaudetoile

I have smelled this perfume numerous times. Never have I tried so hard to like a perfume. Maybe it's because of the name or the history behind it. I don't know. All I know is that this perfume smells like bug spray. It's offensive. It's heavy. It's suffocatingly awful. If there is a woman alive that truly likes this smell...may god help her husband/boyfriend/lover. I cannot even describe what the notes are...It just smells like a mish mash of strong scents that should not be mixed together. Perhaps this perfume is too sophisticated for me...but if this is a sign of sophistication then uncouth I remain!

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

I have to admit that I admire Chanel #5, but I don't like it. Obviously a lot of good quality natural materials have gone into this perfume, the original was truely innovative when it first came out, and the modern reformulation is as close to the original as the manufacturers and perfumers can get without the IFRA and all the chemical-phobic nutcases out there throwing a major $h!tfit.

Even though #5 is a great perfume, it has too many obsticles to overcome. For one thing, the Chanel brand image and the perfume's prohibitive price (even in edt form) make people think of a bunch of stuffy rich women, the dreaded "ladies who lunch". Even without those ascociations, the scent itself still smells very ladylike. I don't like using gender stereotypes to describe things, including perfume, but I think "ladylike" would be the best word to use. Most young women these days aren't into ladylike clothes or perfume, because it seems too dull and prissy/stuffy for this more casual generation. I don't agree with them entirely, but there's no way in hell I'd go around wearing saddle shoes and little white gloves, either. Also, the animalic notes in #5 can be distasteful to a lot of people, especially younger people who have grown up with squeaky-clean perfumes. On top of being in my mid-20's and more used to people wearing modern (clean) scents, I grew up poor and didn't always have access to running water when I was a kid, so I REALLY hate to smell dirty. I try to be open minded, but I absolutely loathe animalic notes in perfume. If I love a perfume with animalic notes in it, it's in spite of them and not because of them. #5 smells too much like a public restroom for comfort.

I did get a sample vial of the edt and wear it a while to see if it grew on me. I do like the floral heart notes, and I like to smell this in the air or on other people, but I don't like it all that much on myself. No one in my family wore this, and my mom was mainly into patchouli perfume oil anyway, so I don't really ascociate #5 with any particular person or age group. It seems like damn near everyone else has a friend or family member who wore this stuff though. Aside from the typical "you smell like an old lady" comments, people also say "you smell like my mom/aunt/grandmother/pale, creepy neighbor who never leaves the house during the day." Okay, I made that last one up.

Amarilis60
Amarilis60

the name had overgrown its appeal and quality. Just nothing to me , especially comparing with the real masterpieces! Lasting power is so week as well. Unbelievably poor perfume! It is real offence to Gold Amouage to be compared to this one!

linzilou92
linzilou92

My Grans been wearing this for 50 years, she told me that before my Grampy died he used to buy her one tiny bottle of it every year on christmas. I finally asked her if I could try it the other day. I only wanted a tiny amount to test but she doused me in it *she now owns this bigger bottle ;-)* its very strong and to me it obviously just smells of her now. I don't like it on myself until about 5 hours after its been put on and then I just can't stop smelling my wrist. It's a classic but I doubt I'll ever buy it for myself as it's totally opposite my usual taste and i'd have to wait five hours before I start to enjoy it. Although it's not to everyones liking I think every woman should try it atleast once.

Arwen_Evenstar
Arwen_Evenstar

It made me smell like I was born in 1921 and needed my bedpan changed. Sexy :-P

Seriously, it was horrid on me, and it was overpoweringly strong with ONE spray. Those who say it's a sexy personal scent either don't have a working nose, or you have radically different body chemistry. Good for you if you have the right chemistry, but I'd say you would need to try on the person before buying for oneself or anyone else.

I actually like Shalimar and Mitsouko, which are also older scents and actually do smell nice. If one is looking for a vintage scent that doesn't smell "old lady", I'd recommend those.

PhaedraRose
PhaedraRose

Received as a gift,and was not what I expected. This on me is an overpoweringly bad intense floral sickly sweet whiff which smells like the air freshener in the toilet of our local chinese restaurant. It reminds me of rich ladies shopping in department stores while I was a child. I am always disappointed when I don't like a fragrance and have worn it a few times because I feel bad as it was a present,but I can only wear a tiny amount otherwise it makes me feel quite ill. I have been trying to figure out which notes I don't like,and am wondering if it is the combination of lily-of-the-valley, neroli,ylang ylang and aldehydes? Whichever it is, I just cant wear this.

mrsliwang
mrsliwang

Hasn't lost any of its appeal despite age. Makes me feel beautiful and my go to for very special occasions

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

The topnotes smells just as indolic and horrific as Chanel`s always does. But the basenotes are suprisingly enough warm, soft, powdery, creamy and soapy, really nice actually.

Can`t stand the "public restroom" - opening at all though, so I will never buy this.

Octoberamy
Octoberamy

I can't understand how this perfume can be so popular, and such a classic. All I smell is urine, and chemicals. Those who love it must have different olfactory powers than I have.

Platinum_girly
Platinum_girly

I will never understand the hype about this perfume, i think it has to do with the fact that it was endorsed by Marilyn monroe, although i like what i like and will not allow a celebrity to sway me into liking something that i genuinely don't so my honest review is that this smells like old lady. It is extremely powdery, floral and just old smelling. My mum has worn this perfume for as long as i can remember and she swears by it, but no matter how many times i smell it i just cannot like it.

dawnzartandlife
dawnzartandlife

ah #5, what is not to like? If it was good enough for Marilyn Monroe and you have not tried it, why not? I like that it is different than some of the others frags I wear. So timeless, lovely, smells great on my body chemistry. I have some vintage edt, vintage cologne, and new edp. Amazing the journey it has had over the years. Flowery yet the aldehydes make it smell different, and that just means it is unique. Love! I loved the book too. If you want to learn more look it up under Tilar Mazzeo. Great read about Coco Chanel.

samloves

No5 to me in timeless. It can be worn by all, from (18 to 80) this is because it smells how a woman should smell. Soft, gentle, innocent, warm, powdery sexy, rich etc etc. Its a natural woman smell, its how a man imagines a woman to smell. Men are simple creatures so this appeals to them. You can't really go wrong with it. It's one of those inoffensive perfumes. Its a perfect female scent.

mell
mell

i so long to love cn5 but i just cant the classic of all classics and it just smells awful on me i feel in some way less than as if my skin has failed me but i was somewhat cheered reading that the revised formula was also disappointing to others who had loved the original i had remembered it as better than i found it and had been unaware of the change i do sympathise with those who love it as this how i feel about my beloved shalimar destruction of such beauty in the name of the almighty dollar in the mean time i console myself with wearing eau premier as this smells quite lovely on me and my daughter borrows it frequently so it must be our genetics that this one works better still cant quite make up for the original good luck to all the aficionados hope you can find some vintage

akheperure
akheperure

To me it's amazing that some people can love so much this perfume. I've known it all my life but I can't get myself to like it.
To me it smells like a lady's underwear after having been worn the whole day mixed with some ancient perfume of the kind that the women of the streets would use.
I don't hate it, I just could never wear something like this.
Still, I like to give it a whiff now and then, it conjures images of old ladies' boudoirs, of childhood adventures and treasure troves when going through my grandmas' and aunts' drawers and closets... half a century ago... :P

SkylerRay
SkylerRay

This is one of those perfumes I put on straight when I get out of the shower, it's a little more mature than for a teen but I love to wear this during the spring, it's light and stay's on well. I would consider buying again! ^.^

Maeva

@misschic: the edt is the closest you can get to the 1921 classic, even if it was sadly reformulated. The edp is actually a less lively recreation by Jacques Polge, launched in 1986 and less faithful to the original. It's also a wonderful fragrance, though, very rich and elegant. What they both do have in common is their poor longevity, I'm afraid.

misschic
misschic

Last Christmas I asked for Chanel No 5 EDP but got this instead. I actually ended up liking this more. I'm 29 so its a more fresh version of the classic.

Maeva

“The smell of a woman”, as Coco Chanel commissioned to Ernest Beaux. Surely she meant a new woman, like she herself was, an instance of the emerging sophisticated urban woman, the vivacious, independent female go-getter, enjoying more social acceptance than ever so far in the Roaring Twenties. And Nº 5 was designed to scent her new glamorous aura. This accounted for the huge success of the fragrance together with the olfactory revelation that came with it: vibrant, sparkling aldehydes! Yes, revolution has always been in fashion. By the way, I think this scent is still revolutionary, since most of the perfumistas I know that are not into Nº 5, body chemistry issues aside, are the ones that tend to be more conservative in their choice of fragrance, regardless of their age.

If this was the perfume of the polarized woman, torn between her social role and her newly vindicated right not only for independence from her domestic obligations, but also for pleasure and frivolousness, this scent is as polarizing among us users as it is within itself. Indeed, Nº 5 can be perceived as translucently clean but impure and animalic, vigorously fresh and aldehydic but warmly ambery, old-fashioned but innovatively groundbreaking, skanky but refined, elegant but casual, “synthetic” but organic, fresh but warm, opulent but dry, down-to-earth but heavenly, sour but sweet, luminous but mysteriously dark, deep but nonchalantly shallow, balanced, in the perfect blend of its almost indistinguishable notes, but shamelessly unbalanced in the symphony of its animalic notes, strongly alluring to our senses: the civet, the exuberant but clean soapy floweriness, the musky earthiness, the woodsiness.

Does all this mean that this is a contradictory fragrance, an olfactory mess? On the contrary: this shows that Chanel Nº 5 is and can be everything, and embodies our own contradictions and wishes as perfectly as any other timeless masterpiece in the history of the arts. Even if the fragrance is now but a reformulated shadow of itself, you can tell it’s a classic because ever since its creation it has managed to smell eternally shocking and original. It was meant to be brutally feminine, the scent of the untamed new woman flaunting her carefree, uninhibited sensuality, fighting against conventions and clichés restricting her freedom. By the way, just like the fragrance itself is still fighting today against (too) basic big words like “cat pee”, “old lady”, “musty wardrobe”, "toilet cleaner", etc., mostly brandished, with an unexplainable, unnecessary belligerency, by young die-hard lovers of modern edible frags, the new custodians of “good”, and tasty, taste in perfume.

HazelMae
HazelMae

What is an "old lady" perfume? I'll answer this definitively: it's whatever the adults were wearing when you were a kid. So you date yourself very accurately by what you consider "old lady." One day, sooner than you think, fruit-chouli and marshmallows will be the new "old-lady."

However if you are a person that categorizes fragrances in this manner, you've made a choice. You can't have your cake and eat it, too; either you can tap into the cachet of a classic or you can worry about offending the 18-25 demographic. There are many inoffensive scents available today, some even with the Chanel label; but they won't cut it as a classic and aren't capable of signaling style and confidence.

I had a great-aunt that wore No. 5. She smoked a lot, and her apartment didn't smell right. She must have sprayed this liberally as this was before it ever occurred to anyone to be a prissy perfume-phobic. No. 5 also has a noticeable civet note which I often have a problem with. I've learned to appreciate No. 5, along with a lot of other things since then, but still I prefer No. 22 and Bois des Iles for adding warmth to this chilly composition.

Although I enjoy wearing this privately, I rarely wear it out. It is just too recognizable and people have too many associations with it. I don't want to trigger people's associations with whatever person in their life had this as a signature scent.

However, if you work with a bunch of uptight puritans, you might get some satisfaction replying to their complaints that you're wearing No. 5. If people don't feel like dorks for wrinkling their noses at the perfume of Marilyn Monroe, well..they should. Some fragrances are only for the grownups.

hanusia
hanusia

just a pity but I do not smell the parfum on me at all!
I do not like it also - a plain and boring scent

miss_piggy
miss_piggy

Parfums de Coeur made an imitation of this in the early 90's, called Goddess. It came in a black and blue can. They now have a version of Vera Wang Princess, called Goddess.. but that's irrelevant. I loved the imitation, and wish I it were still available. The real thing is just a touch too gaudy for me to truly enjoy, but it will have to do.

jackie.butler
jackie.butler

I was laughed at for admitting to loving this, as it is "an old woman's perfume". What rubbish. A classic,although I'm sure it is too sophisticated for a lot of teenagers,aldehydes don't seem to gel with them. (I do try to steer them away from the Britney stuff though to Calvin Klein One and Anais Anais depending on their taste.)
It smells wonderful. I love the house of Chanel and have never smelt a duff fragrance from them.
Gorgeous.

eruetim
eruetim

This was my first french perfume. I wore it every day. Comfortable and elegant.

boruvka44

Oil bath with ylang and rose, sandalwood, fragile powdery jasmin and vanilla. Cosy, fluffy, soft and sexy. I heard somebody saying No. 5 smells like a woman leaving her lover without taking a shower.... well, it has some dirty intimacy in it for sure, hidden behind the elegant and clean face.
Those aldehydes in EDT smell a little bit like old books, like an ancient library or secondhand bookshop, the slightly dusty moldy paper.
°~♥~°

missymary
missymary

Chanel no 5 is one heckofa special aldehyde blend. It captures the spirit of Chanel uniquely. It has the high-cheeked classic grace and smooth aloof suavity of a cat-walking super model.
I think what's most remarkable about it is that its familiarity doesn't take way from it. Perfumes such as Youth Dew, Aromatics Elixir, Opium and so on, are less attractive for being so instantly recognizable and hence less capable of being a personal signature. But Chanel No 5 somehow always feels to me like its part of my personality in that time and place.

steveniox
steveniox

I didn't get this at all. Tried it for the first time today in a department store and, from beginning to end, all I could get was public toilet, complete with urinal deodorizing blocks. I put it down to skin chemistry...

krmarich
krmarich

lukkyme, I feel your pain, as do so many other members of Fragrantica. The IFRA is the corporate front of the reformulations. They are impossible to negotiate with and determined to change the classics. The initial excuse was allergy concerns. Now, its to protect corporate interests so mass production can take place globally. Reputation sells...DO NOT BUY NEW-STOCKPILE YOUR VINTAGES AND USE THEM SPARINGLY!!! Sales will slump. Only then will our voices be heard!

Onto Chanel no. 5 EDT. My bottle dates from 1990 and is the original formula. Its notes are not as well blended as earlier examples, which are superior. The formula is rather simple by todays standard. It never required flankers for winter or spring. It was perfect at every minute of every day of our lives.

Its particularly special wearing it on May 5. The florals used are in bloom on that day-iris, lily of the vally, rose de Mai and that fantastic jasmine that you can almost taste. Lay them on a chypre base, sandalwood and vanilla. Oh, just to keep things sexy, dont forget the civet! The original cannot be described in words. I am stockpiling vintages now for the future to experience.

The final battle began in 2010. You can imagine the results!

One of the many controversies of the reformulation is civet of course. Its no longer there. The jasmine which in its purest state from Grasse, is worth more than gold. That jasmine is a luxury good. It is now synthetic. My precious vintage EDC from the 1950s is easy to detect the differences from the current imposter. The aldehydes seem different. They are already synthetic. This updated version is stark, cold and hollow! Its very soul stolen.

Dont believe any report that it is the same. Its not! History has been rewritten. The corporate overlord that bought the empire forged by CoCo herself has destroyed the very element that built its fortune- Chanel No 5 is no more.

lukkyme
lukkyme

how can we make our voice's LOUD enough 2 say . . . PLEASE STOP ruining the original formula's of classic's . . . . it doesnt bother me that they are putting out all these flanker's at all im sure there is a market for them BUT what about the ORIGINALS the classic's even if i was buying a flanker i would want 2 smell the original as a point of refference . . . although i 90%of the time would want the original also if they have not discontinued them they have took it upon themselves 2 re-formulate them with out even leting you know when you go hand over your money for a product i believe you have the right 2 know when its in the same box etc . . .that the company has changed the product & they have ALL done this 2 there original's esetee lauder- channel- christian dior-D&G--Y.S.L . . . . to me this is equivelant 2 going thru a beautiful lil historic town & bulldozing all the victorian & art decco home's down with all there charm & mature tree's & garden's & buliding cheaply made suburban track home's & bulldozing the cafe & boutique to throw down a strip mall & a starbuck's :( . . . . . it destroying HISTORY

jackii
jackii

This is 'pure class and sophistication in a bottle' and you don't have to be wealthy to wear it. :)

I've loved this fragrance for about 20 years now. It smells slightly different than the EDP. I find the EDT more soapy, a bit more linear, and the closest to the original Chanel No. 5 I remember from years ago. To me, this fragrance is the ultimate old school glamorous scent, full of vintage chic and feminine strength.

Hallo_smiling
Hallo_smiling

it was definitlely not "love at the first view " ..but at the second smell! :) .. i bought it and i tried ones .. it did not work..it was strange and strong and it was a heavy smell to flowers but also musky.
At the second time (also i have to say it was another season:winter) i had changed my mind. It smells sooo sweet but flowery and a little bit soapy, it smells romantic and lovely. I like it so much altought at the begining i was thinking it was an "old fashioned" perfum, not at all, it smells elegant, romantic, sofisticated, i love it !!

twolmichelle
twolmichelle

Ah,the battle between the mature women and the young women continues to rage on Fragrantica!! I have encountered it on every review of a fragrance over 20 years old, and it has become tiring. To escape from it, I checked out what I thought was a shoe-in for common ground, Chanel No. 5. Not so!! Honestly, those who label this "cat pee" apparently have never had a deep whiff of the real thing. Coco would roll in her grave if she read these reviews. CN5 is really unlike any other fragrance, then or now, and she knew it instinctively. It is a beautifully amalgamated floral beginning with a brightness that can't be attributed to citrus; it's the amalfi lemon top note but comes across as a cold steel, metallic giving the impression that this is no ordinary bouquet of flowers. This steeliness holds on throughout the dry-down, preventing it from ever becoming too sweet. It's much more apparent in the EDT, which is too synthetic for my taste. I stick to the EP miniatures that are a steal on Ebay. That's where CN5 comes to life as it was intended, in my opinion. This is a city fragrance, the Empire State Building at night, deco moderne sophistication, dry martini and a delivery of a dozen perfect roses with no card. Powdery? Of course! It's always lingering in the background, to give a heavenly touch of soft cashmere. The middle notes bring in a skin muskiness that's very sexy as the aldehydes really kick in. For me, CN5 represents confidence and sophistication. I think this is what Coco intended. Never too sweet, trashy, girly, cheap. Always chic, worldly and yes,French, whether in ripped jeans or little black dress. Black and white is the perfect theme for this fragrance; perfect balance with no interference from single notes that compete for first place. The minimalist packaging says it all; modern then, modern now. References to Chanel as the smell of old ladies drawers break my heart. All that really means is the fragrance was so good, the old lady wore it throughout her life, from a youthful ingenue to her later years. Where's the negative in that?

andronicos

The EdT is the much better than the EdP.

runninginheels
runninginheels

Dear Chanel N°5,

We've known each other a while, you and I, but I haven't always quite understood or appreciated your beauty. It was only recently that I fully became aware of the depth of your ethereal magnificence. When we are together I am enveloped by a warm, glowing aura that makes me happier than any other fragrance ever has. You make me a better person. You give me, a twenty-one year old who is just about to take her first baby steps into the real world, the confidence and motivation needed to succeed. You are an aromatic goddess. Together, we're going to take New York by storm.

Yours forever,

Me

Wittychic
Wittychic

I love this perfume. I do not understand the negative reviews. Then maybe I do. Fragrances smell so different on different women. Many fragrances I love on others smell like bug spray on me. On me it is a soft floral with a hint of musk. Yummy. I feel warm and sexy. Marvelous fragrance.

twinklestar.pa
twinklestar.pa

I like it upon the initial application. There is no aldehyde blast. Quickly developers into lovely flowers. But...it sits too close to the skin for me to smell in the day. If I apply it more generously, i still can't smell it. Also then my clothes have a weird sour smell at the end of the day.

I will continue to work with it. The opening is so lovely.

Wonder if I apply it over shin lotion if it will hang around longer.

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

When I first smelled this, only one thing popped into my head: Granny, granny, granny!

This was a total grandma for me. It smells like the cheap powder you get at your local drugstore, only this is more dry, more strong and more long lasting and a million times more expensive.

All the flowers that No 5 has make you expect it to be somewhat like a floral bouquet. However, the huge, pale aldehydes make just a lot of confusion and turn this into baby powder.

I never got the warmth of the woods in the base. I don't even think it has any woods as it does not last very long and woods do provide a base for sillage and longevity.

Definitely not worth the money. The tester smelled good when I smelled the cap, but smelled terrible on my skin.

I have learned that Chanel No 5 is one of those scents that depend entirely on your body chemistry. My experience with this Eau de Toilette was not at all pleasant!

minniemanx
minniemanx

I have had a bottle of No.5 for over 37 years. I am not up to all the jargen of the EDP's and whatever else. I love it and always have. My question is how long does it last, does it go "OFF" at all. I would hate to think I would have to throw it out. I also have Arpege for nearly as long and a bottle of Maroussla, for over 25 years. The reason I have them for so long is I wanted them for really special occasions The maroussla was given to me as a gift, I'm not fussed and I don't think I have ever worn it.
Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Best perfume ever!!!

Angelique11
Angelique11

I tried to love Chanel no. 5 EDP for about three years until I finally gave up, just couldn’t get what the fuss was all about. Then one day while doing my usual testing, I remembered what Luca Turin had said about the superiority of the EDT and thought I’d try it. WOW! Love at first sniff, I had to have it.

The EDT does have aldehydes and chemical civet but they are not obvious and if I can wear something that has anything to do with civet, (albeit chemical) it’s nothing short of a miracle. Oak moss sits so quietly in the background that it’s not the least bit noticeable.

The flowers, vanilla, sandalwood, musk, vetiver, lemon, amber, and bergamot are so well blended that it’s impossible to isolate any one particular note. Being an entire experience all it’s own, it’s no wonder this masterpiece launched in 1921 is still the most popular fragrance in the world. It’s reported by the French government that a bottle is sold every thirty seconds generating sales of $100 million a year.

Long lasting, and developing even more beautifully over the hours as most Chanels do, I never get tired of this little jewel and could wear it everyday if I weren’t such a perfume whore.

ReinaT
ReinaT

No 5 is a graceful, floral classic. It was the only fragrance my ex-husband liked me wearing, so after wearing only that fragrance for like a decade, I can no longer enjoy it! It is floral, but warm probably the patchouli and vanilla. It is sophisticated and can be worn by women of all ages. The newer Premier was created for younger women, but I find that I can wear that one without any problems, because now 5 gives me a headache! Damn my ex-husband! Just kidding. Anyway, the No 5 Premier is a lot softer and more jasmine, so it requires a lot more dipping or spraying, while the original No 5 is stronger and lasts for hours. A timeless scent, hard to go wrong with it.

delphine67
delphine67

I am not a fan of the Chanel scents. No5 smells to me as old fashioned hair water that whas availaible in the 60-70s.

Decodawn
Decodawn

Chanel No 5 is my daytime fragrance it is comforting and smells of Mummy, according to my children a classic floral, just beautiful

mystica

It totally wears me, and mind you, this is only the Eau de Toilette.
Chanel No 5 is a strong woman, not that I'm weak, but she is just not me. She is a Marilyn Monroe kind of woman, no less, and it's no coincidence that this revolutionary perfume has come to become associated with her. Call it conditioning, but I kinda feel a strong feminine presence around when I wear it, indeed at night, the unmistakeable smell of Chanel No 5 hovering around the room and on my bedsheets, I even had a dream of MM! Eerie, striking experience...
Still when preparing my morning coffee at the kitchen, Chanel No 5 was as quite detectable after all those long hours.
Amazing fragrance...

aboulden
aboulden

The remarkable quality of Chanel No. 5 is how it seems to smell different on everyone....no two sniffs are alike. I believe the ylang ylang oil gives it the staying power. It lasts, yet is never overpowering. This perfume revolutionized the perfume world. Hail to Coco!!

Vanian
Vanian

Dear meg1969, I couln't agree more. I am 41 years old now and I have just the same feelings about No5, although my really top favourite Chanel is No 19 ( the perfume one ).

sofababe
sofababe

I have it because, as a perfume fanatic, I thought I ought to own it. But I don't wear it. Occasionally I spray a little onto my wrist and sniff it on and off over an evening at home. To me No.5 is a bit like going to a gallery and looking at a painting you find ugly but it just sold for $100m so you think you should admire it without really understanding why. I have EDT.

yelimon
yelimon

The eau de toilette is so subtle, powdery, a little bit floral, remids me of some soap and clean smell, and somehow of some notes of Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden.

meg1969
meg1969

Encircles with a warm, translucent light. A dry, abstract perfume. Not an instant fave for me. Took a while (and lots of experience smelling and enjoying 100's of perfumes) to fully appreciate. Now, at age 42 I am beginning to get the mystery and magic of this perfume. I always disliked this Chanel before now. I didn't understand it. (And it seemed old fashioned). The thing is, it is actually extremely modern. It's like a shapeshifter. Just when you think you have experienced the full range of its olfactory presence, another dimension opens and reveals itself in an unending wave of new scent.

I love the whole Chanel line though, and especially love aldehydes. If that is not your thing, you won't be persuaded to love this classic.

I am sorry, but equating this perfume to any other (Coty, L'Aimant??) is like saying orange is the new pink. No way!

Chickenboo
Chickenboo

This EdT is my favorite scent! I don't care for the other formulations of No.5. I wear, own and adore many different fragrances, but to me, this is the indisputable leader of them all. Not one can touch it. They are not worthy! LOL

fumehead
fumehead

Crisp, clear cut, sharpish florals, mainly Ylang-Ylang that are restrained from shriekery by aldehydes. All this on a clean, American-friendly musk.

No5 is at once sour and sweet, It borders on vile for me, yet is also totally chic, possibly the chic-est of all perfumes and is not only Chanel’s flagship, but is the coca cola of all perfumery. No5 is marketed to death and is THE cliché choice for every budding Perfumista who wants to venture into the classics. I was late in sampling no5 though, Guerlain broke me in! But I remember smelling this before my scent obsession and thinking that it smelt of chemicals and posh old ladies who read Vogue, fast forward to today and it still does, kind of. Maybe I'm not chic enough? I don’t really care tbh but no5 leaves me COLD, she is just a nasty bitch ice queen to me, she lacks warmth and I think the aloof, vacant eyed and slightly frigid Nicole Kidman was PERFECT to promote this. Bring her back.

jasmasid
jasmasid

The Eau de Toilette is definitely superior to the "Eau de Parfum" version. I guess the character of the fragrance lends itself to a lighter formulation.
I believe the "Eau de Parfum" was introduced some time in the 1960's or maybe even early 70's when the actual pure "Parfum" sales were in crisis.
A timeless classic, its bottle design an outstanding icon of the 20th century and, it's not just a perfume, it's a whole institution with a fascinating history.

Like it or hate it, no perfume enthusiast can really be without a bottle of this one!

paulie86
paulie86

This edt is simply amazing! Sparkling, happy, sweet fizzy aldehydes with a creamy floral sandalwood backdrop. The scent is absolutely breathtaking reminds me of a delectable glass of champagne with my feet up relaxing after a long day of work. i'm continually amazed with Chanel lately, in the past I completely ignored this house in favor of Dior but now my taste is changing. I'm going to be 25 in a few months and I want tradition back in my fragrance wardrobe. I think loyalty to one house is what i'm striving for and I think Chanel is it for me! Don't waste your money on the edp go for the edt it not only smells better but it's one of the original concentrations.

rougetnoir
rougetnoir

my mother in law gave me a vintage bottle of chanel n. 5 edt. the bottle was bought in Harrods in London 30 years ago by my husband as a gift for her. the perfume is almost gone, but the bottle is wonderful! I've always loved this perfume and having a vintage perfume is really a privilege for me!

takeasniff
takeasniff

A friend of mine gave me the edt and it just will not last on me. I have the lotion and it lasts all day with that or the lotion on it's own. This is a rare case for me where I will only get the lotion of this because it smells so clean and soft compared the sprays both edt and edp. The other perfumes from Chanel I do buy and wear but No.5 I will just be sticking with the lotion. This is like a smooth silk when it settles it's just lovely. It is not sexy but a confident baby powder smell without smelling like baby products if that makes any sense?

Koukla190
Koukla190

smells like peee to me, must be the civet, I really don't like it, sorry! I think this is kinda overrated, I just don't get it's appeal really! And I do love some orientals and classic fragrances, but to me this just smells FLAT, and well...BAD!

ION
ION

Most certainly, everyone has a little story to tell about this perfume (as it is so old) and while most women agree it smells a little bit "passe'" or a little bit heavy or whatever, they still go out and buy it.
One needs no better example of how manipulative, good marketing can be!
That's not to say No 5 is not a good perfume, to be honest I think it is a great perfume!
In a sea of fragrances with a strong public image, (new, experimental, iconic, promising the sky with the stars) every now and then one comes across a woman wearing this perfume and can't help thinking "Finally, a simple, gloriously pleasant smell!".
I find the shower gel just perfect while the deodorant spray could do better with a more focused spraying angle (I know it, as I happen to use both at the gym).
Chanel No 5 is not only "gloriously pleasant" however.
In my mind it smells comfort and clean.
The "American clean", if you know what I mean!

An advice: avoid the "Eau de Parfum" version. This world can do fine without it.

The scent of heaven.

Zinderella
Zinderella

Since Chanel No.5 is probably considered to be the most famous perfume in the world, I so much want to say that I love it, and wear it, but alas I am so sorry and feel like it is a sin to say this.. but honestly in my opinion, on my skin it smells like cat piddle :(

MizLiz
MizLiz

I asked for a bottle of Chanel No. 5 for Christmas when I was 17. And I got the eau de toilette and the parfum! I guess my parents were feeling generous that year. I wore the EdT more often, as I loved its greater sillage and its sparkly, aldehydic opening. The problem was, it never lasted that long on me. It faded to a whisper within two hours. Still, it was as effervescent and fleeting as a glass of fine champagne that is savored for a moment and then finished all too quickly. That is what Chanel No. 5 EdT is like to me.

tiger_greeneyes
tiger_greeneyes

This is a beautiful light, fresh, floral, classic perfume. I was bought it as a Christmas present by a work colleague (no, he was happily married!) and I was taken aback by his generosity. I would happily wear it all the time, although as with No.19 (I've had both), this sits on my skin and reacts to something within my chemistry because both fragrances turn into eye-wateringly strong cats urine. I felt awful about my boss spending so much so didn't tell him, I just sprayed it on my clothes for a few months (the smell is gorgeous when it's not on my skin!) before passing it on.

sablebombe
sablebombe

I was given a bottle of this when I was 18 years old - I didn't like it, I found it too old for me and gave it away! Now I am older I thought I would try again and to be honest I can't really say I love this but merely like this.

I don't get on with the aldehydes to start off with and then I get the ylang-ylang and the bergamot but not too much of the neroli (which I love)! Then it's dire of dire for me 'urine' smelling Jasmine!!! Thankfully, this evaporates quickly into a rose/iris/lilly enveloping powdery warmth which has me sniffing away at my wrist for ages! Finally I get the vetiver which I love and thankfully I can hardly detect musk which I am not too keen on to be honest! It sits very close to my skin so disappointing sillage and longevity is not as great as I would like.

Not my favourite of Chanel's perfumes but worth a try no less! Better for the day than the evening I think (maybe the EDP is better for the evening) - but can be worn wether you are dressed up or down!

N_STITCHES
N_STITCHES

Chanel No. 5 EDT is an such an elegant, comforting scent with a peachy fizziness. Coco Chanel asked for a parfum that smelled like a woman. She accomplished that with No. 5. There is a "wow factor" in the opening with the blast of aldehydes, but how it moves through to the drydown is just beautiful. On me, it sits very close to the skin and just smells like me. Yes, it does have a soft, powdery drydown and I love it. I like the EDT for evenings layered with the pure parfum. I also layer with just a little bit of the Velvet Body Cream.

madhatter1
madhatter1

Wow, the depth of the scent. I think I am missing out not using this fragrance enough! My gift bottle has to get more use.

I had this one and I finished a bottle which is always a good sign for me ;) After that I didn't buy it again yet because I feel like I need a pause. Also maybe my taste in scent has changed. I find Chanel No.5 a real classic. Nice for going out but also wearable as a day fragrance if you are not a teen. It aims definitely at grown up women. Maybe it's worn a bit too often by people, so one thinks it's not so special anymore. I'm probably more of a rare scent wearer/buyer.

Singabera
Singabera

That's really a special one - it suits to any occasion and any clothes, no matter is it jeans with white T-shirt or silk dress. It's transparent, powdery, floral, it's so close to the skin, but each small move make it vibrate.

Siv55
Siv55

If you don't know the name of any other perfumes, you will know Chanel no.5. It's so iconic it almost doesn't matter whats in the bottle because desperate men who know nothing will buy bottles every birthday or christmas or anniversary, for their wives or girlfriends and think they have made a sophisticated choice, rather than the truth, which is that unless you know your media naranja loves this, it looks like the perfumery equivalent of service station flowers. Some women may love the actual smell of this, but I've never met any. Marilyn saying she wore it alone to bed cannot be the only reason this stuff is still going. CAN IT??

Vixie
Vixie

The No 5 EDT has always been part of my permanent, staple wardrobe, since I was young. It remains just as good now as it has been all these years because of its lightness without sacrifice of depth. Indeed, the depth in basenotes is very much discernible, but it seems to float on its topnotes, entirely synthetic, as Coco Chanel had wanted with No 5, and this is its allure. It is mysterious without being coy or secretive, it is assertive without being pushy or uncouth; it is refinement for every season, every hour, every activity, elegance and charm, self-assured and respected, embracing each woman with a uniqueness to match her own. I have had many compliments on this scent through the years, and never leave the house without a small bottle in my purse.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Well- this is a whole new review. I always maintained that I hated Chanel No 5. Today, in the interest of seeing how the world of fragrantica has changed my tastes, I doused myself (neck, decolletage, wrists) in this scent. Either my tastes or the formulation has been altered. I dont get an aldehydic floral anymore but a cool amber. I get the ylang ylang and iris but to me it feels like a 'cool' version of my favorite Rochas Femme!! I really like it and will be requesting a bottle forthwith for my Birthday. Only disappointments were the sillage and longevity which were both meek.
PS realised it's the EDP that I still don't like and the EDT that hits my button!

melimelo87
melimelo87

Chanel perfumes are those types of perfume "hate it or love it" I dont think there's a middle passage with these fragrances.
I own a Chanel nr. 5 a few years back and I hated that smell. It was so strong and overpowering. Just not for me.
I also owned a mini Allure and Chance one ....the same result. For me it just didn't work out. Maybe its just me but to they all smell alike. And whenever I am at the mall or somewhere else and I feel someone walking by and they happen to be wearing Chanel I instantly recognize the smell and I really dislike the scent.
I know its quite a famous scent and well known but for my nose its just common and something expensive that is not worth buying.
Why do I want to buy such an expensive perfume and smell like the rest of the world.This perfume is frequently used by a lot of girls who I.m not sure they like it for themselves or they like for its advertisement and popularity through time .
I would rather try something else!

I love the EDT. It's drastically different from the EDP. It doesn't have that sharp, strong, aldehyde opening. The EDT seems to focus mostly on powder. I would imagine that the EDT has the same effect as the dusting powder might have--a light application. I think this is the perfect compromise for a person who likes No.5 but finds the projection to be too strong in EDP formulation. I also ADORE the chic bottle!

I'm digging into Chanel n°5 incredible story thanks to the great book I received! This made me want to wear it again. I have a good big sample of EdT.
This fragrance is a crazy one. Big contrasts! I always thought of Chanel 5 EdT as a weird creature from a different era. IMO it is outdated in years 2000, not because it is bad or old but rather because tastes in perfume has changed so dramatically that true gems are not often understood as they were in their era. Chanel n.5 EdT is not among the favourite in my aftermaths. Among female acquantainces it is known as jasmine deo-loo. They all compare this one to that old typical smell of soap in public restroom mingled with...ehm.. not so soapy smells!
I also have a male friend who hates it at most because it gives him headache and smells like his mother old drawers.
For me it is a dear one, not often worn as personal scent, but often sniffed for private giggling.
There is something really misterious about this perfume, I mean the perfume itself, left aside the intriguing story.
It starts with a brash of cold smelling notes that recall an intensely smelling snow, if it ever existed. Not just snow, rather more than snow, a super-snow! Those opening notes used to burn my nose when I was younger, now I like that feeling and I feel it fades quickly leaving only a trace. The heard is a triumph of the accord jasmine-rose, simply beautiful, even if in the EdT version it is not so glorious as EdP. Then comes the dry-down... well, let me tell you before that the traditional division head, heart and... toes doesn't make justice to this scent. All stuff is so enticely blended that pointing out single notes is a bit of a rational scientifical approach and also a naif one.
That said, the base of n.5 EdT is a very skanky one! Not just skanky, that would have been relatively easy. It is deliciously, sweetly ferocious skanky. Eventually I found the reason for the public restroom soap edge! Is it civet or heavily indolic jasmine or aldehydes or whatever, my poor knowledge of perfume making doesn't allow me to tell, but as for my own opinion, feeling and impression the magical of Chanel n.5 lays in this superbly blended refined, sophisticated jasmine-y skankiness! To die for and drowl like a dog, and I'm not even a fan of skanky fragrances, quite the opposite! If Coco Chanel stated that a woman shouldn't smell like flower, she probably meant "not just flower". She should smell like flower plus her own animalic essence, kindly provided and actually better made than nature in Chanel n.5. It smells like a slightly unwashed delicate lady skin dabbed with jasmine and rose oils and of course the soapy synthetic edge. Soap and dirt together? Yes! I love Chanel n.5 since I was a young girl, very young actually, almost a baby. My mother owned a bottle probably for perfume's sake, because she was not totally convinced about this fragrance yet in '70s few women missed at least one bottle and I'm not talking about grand dames!
I remember that I was given a very small sample of this to play with, strange way of keeping a curious restless babygirl quiet for a while, but it worked! It was a beautiful simple squared micro-bottle and later I got another one for Coco. I wore small drops and when it was nearly over I secretly decanted some from my mother's bottle. When that finished too I poured water into my small bottle and made a very faint eau de l'eau de l'eau de cologne! I still remember that in spite of crazy dilution that typical smell went on lingering! Then I lost that tiny decant somewhere in the mess of my teenage and almost forgot about n.5.
A few years ago I was given a modern spray sample at some counter and I thought: "Look! They still make samples for a fragrance which is not new at all!" I sprayed it and found that daring skanky jasmine again! OMG! I kept that sample very carefully. A few years later I tried the Eau Premiere and it was a lovely discovery! In Eau Premiere the skankiness is very tamed while the odd yellow Baby Shampoo Johnson’s edge is taken higher.
Honestly since now I never bought a full bottle of Chanel n.5 because... I don't know! Any time I had some money to splurge I bought other scents, mainly Guerlain and Givenchy. Besides that, any time I wore n.5 from tester there were always someone saying that it smelled old, granny, banal or annoying among the ones who told me I smelled good.
These odd ones were men, young men around 30. That made a difference for me. So apparently if Chanel n.5 really is the quintessential sexy perfume, there are good amounts of detractors among the gender that it should appeal! Is it a memory trigger for mom’s perfumes?
Now I don't really care. Now I smell myself in the EdT and giggling between me and myself. I like it, I really like it! And still it is a mistery scent to me. I can't really tell why I like it or not completely. Something escapes my understanding.
But.. I still had to test the Eau de Parfum version and that's another story...

mschirstine10
mschirstine10

i bought in france at the age of 11 and started daily use ever since. classic one, like the way snow flakes would smell mixed up with jasmine and musk. i would keep trying to find out various kinds of frangrances while this one never goes wrong.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Tried this newly reformulated version on my skin (yes I am a man, a gay one, but still a man) and must say that I LOVE IT!
It develops nicely on male skin as well and can definitely be worn by a man as well.

Very warm, vanilla, sandalwood, musky, civet based fragrance with those lovely florals of jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose, lilley of valley, and more....so well orchestrated.

Arguably one of the best fragrances ever concoted in terms of perfect harmony of ingredients: like a well oiled machine or The London Symphonic Orchestra.

This is olfactory anti-depression treatment as it is positively uplifting and ever so sensual and sophisticated.

Nothing can beat this (except maybe "Shalimar" which is raunchier and naughtier)

guest_Jovrien
guest_Jovrien

Marilyn Monroe when asked what she wears to bed "Why.. Chanel no. 5!"

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Just got it and all I have to say is wow!Smells so feminine, clean and sophisticated. I can't believe I didn't smell the EDT until recently! It's soft and sweet not cloying or strong at all! This becomes more of a skin scent. The staying power is not that good on me anyway. I can see using this all year round, perhaps this is more more for warmer weather and the EDP for colder. I think it last longer if sprayed on your clothes.

this is such a wonderfull perfume, 5 stars, very sensualm with a touch of respect and sofistication. the best perfume ever. period.

Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette by Chanel 3.46 out of 5 based on 1424 ratings and 184 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.