Designers » C » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Coco Noir Chanel for women
dislike

I have it: 787 I had it: 81 I want it: 1090 My signature: 29

Coco Noir Chanel for women Videos
Coco Noir Chanel for women Pictures Coco Noir Chanel for women Pictures Coco Noir Chanel for women Pictures

Coco Noir ilaunches in September 2012.

"For Coco Noir, I thought of Coco and of Coco Mademoiselle too, because it’s also part of the history. I wanted to continue exploring an entire esthetic range of CHANEL perfumery, a range that distinguishes itself from the Florals, one that is illustrated by Bois-des-Iles and Cuir de Russie. I took it up with Coco. It’s what I like to call the CHANEL Coromandel culture, what you see and feel in her apartment. The night vision of the ‘Orient that starts and ends in Venice’ imposed itself upon me and that is where I wanted to go.” perfumer Jacques Polge.

In 1984, there was Coco, that sumptuous blend of wood, resins, flowers, spices and fruit. A treasure trove of splendours and an endless source of discovery and sensual delight. Then, in 2001, came Coco Mademoiselle, a breath of air that lightens this cornucopia of fragrance, in which everything is simplified and accelerated in a radiant burst of fruit and flower. And today there is Coco Noir, a great nocturnal Baroque. Another journey in the wake of a Gabrielle who fully embraced the dazzle of black and Venice, incorporating them not only into her creations but into her life.

Top notes: grapefruit, Calabrian bergamot, Heart: rose, narcissus, rose geranium leaf and jasmine. Base: tonka bean, sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli and white musk frankincense. Coco Noir was created by Jacques Polge and Christopher Sheldrake.

Grapefruit Bergamot

Jasmine Rose Narcissus Geranium

Tonka Bean Patchouli Sandalwood Vanille White Musk Olibanum

Coco Noir Fragrance Reviews

Lape_snape
Lape_snape

Love it. Clean, feminine and with a little of mistery.

Antares811

I love this beautiful scent more and more. So elegant and mysterious, a beautiful rose-jasmine accord on a gorgeous powdery-patchouli-sandalwood drydown. Class in a bottle.

Lily2911
Lily2911

I have to agree wit some other reviewers : this is for me one of the biggest dissapointment, a good marketing stunt. It is even worse than CM which i cannot stand anymore. I love so much the vintage scents like Coco, n° 5, 19 and Cristalle. But since Allure they just dissapointed me in crescendo. I don't like all these new re-editions like 19 poudré and Cristalle Verte, the only exception is Eau Première. The only " newer" scents i really like is the exclusifs line. It is such a shame they only demonstrate creativity and quality for that very high end and expensive range and they just launch generic, superfluous perfumes in their commercial line. To be honest, i found the real " noir" character in tom ford's black orchid or even in Miss Dior le parfum but definitively not in Coco noir, although the bottle is beautiful but just misleading packaging. On top it has so weak sillage, for such high priced bottle. Maybe it is something about chemistry but i have read a lot of similar reviews. I really hope they will launch much more "character" perfumes in near future.

Revontuli
Revontuli

Well... Unfortunately Coco Noir stood more on the Coco Mademoiselle side on my skin, one of the two Chanel fragrances I don't really enjoy... I wasn't expecting this much patchouli but I was aware that it's not a dark, gothic smell either. But where is sandalwood, where is spiciness and warmth? Unfortunately Coco Noir didn't go much further than patchouli on my skin. I'm glad I didn't blindbuy it, a few more tests before I make a final decision.

Katja L.
Katja L.

Chic and sophisticated.
Vibrant and natural on the skin at the same time.
I adore it.

leda
leda

What is that saying about the month of March? "In like a lion and out like a lamb." That phrase can also describe Coco Noir.

Coco Noir is very shouty at first spritz, with lots of fresh snap and fruits and flowers, but mellows into a diffused version of original Coco without the leather. Very much a slinky (yet gentle) skin-loving scent!

I agree with other's perception that this scent has the features of both Coco Mademoiselle (the fresh notes) and Coco original (the slinky, skin-loving notes). Definitely a neck-nuzzling concoction.

SolangeN
SolangeN

I don't get it.

Numerous test runs have never revealed anything to me but sticky purple lollipop on top of something vaguely woody that isn't patchouli. Or "noir." And fades fast.

Last time I spritzed this generously, walked around for an hour, and got faint whiffs of a familiar scent I couldn't quite place.

It was the Elizabeth Arden Mediterranean "damask plum and cashmere woods" chemical bath that was such a waste of money.

Really Chanel? Guess we can at least be grateful they left out the horrible musk from Chance eau Tendre.

vongocap
vongocap

I own COCO, COCO MADEMOISELLE and ALLURE SENSUELLE..so just have to mix these three together to get the copy of Noir.. But these three taken alone are far more beautiful than Coco noir.. I expected some more fantasy from the Chanel crew to be put in such a gorgeous bottle.. Maybe Noir is a good choice for younger users who discover Chanel perfumes for the first time, but for those like me, loving and owning the other three scents, Noir is absolutely superfluous

natashamarie
natashamarie

When I first sprayed this perfume onto my wrist, I could easily compare it to Coco Mademoiselle, but sweeter and toned down, not as sharp. Once it settled onto my skin something very familiar came to mind. It smelled EXACTLY like a perfume that my great-grandmother wore all during my childhood, so it brought back quite a few memories. Good ones of course.

Every time I smell this perfume, I think of a very classy, elegant woman. Think Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly. I can definitely smell the sandalwood after it being on my skin for a while. Which I personally love, it compliments the middle notes nicely, especially the rose.

This has to be one of my favorite perfumes. I've fallen in love.

queenofcups
queenofcups

If I was to change my name it will be coco
For sure. Here's the deal nothing equals to any
Chanel perfume there's just something and everything
About coco mademoiselle s freshness and there's
Something else and everything else and no words
To describe the womanly beast incense in coco
Both are devastantingly elegant daring and sophisticated
And then comes coco noir maybe its mystically a middle
Note between both
For someone who never wore coco m or coco they
Could be swept away by coco noir
I personnaly wear all 3 in colder weathers more
Of coco and on more fresh weathers and casual
Outgoings coco m and coco noir has made its way to
My wearings in between
But funny enough coco noir is the only one that
I will note rebuy again
It has maybe notes of coco m
Certainly no notes of coco at all
Still an amazing scent not so much longevity though
As when I open my wardrobe coco m and coco are all
Over me and I can't get enough of them
Chanel house is a living example of continuous
Beauty and class unique womanly and sophisticated
To the extreme with no equal in my opinion
Thank you chanel thank you coco you and I have
Become one long time ago

Sannee77
Sannee77

Wham! A Chanel powerhouse for sure. Elegant as few other, complex and dark, rich in an "old money" kind of way. Too elegant for me, unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever be elegant enough to pull off this fragrance... Chanel muse Ines de la Fressange could wear this.

I get a strong balsamic vibe, must me the the olibanum. The very strange thing is that for me this fragrance entirely skip the middle notes. The citrus and bergamot (Earl Grey-ish) opening is there, and then it jumps strait to the base notes.

Krupp
Krupp

I have a weakness for Chanel, I can't help it! Their perfumes hits a resonance point in me, spreading a wooow-feeling inside. Coco Noir is no exception to this scheme. It smells more than wonderful and lasts longer than forever. I am in love - again!

Janey1966
Janey1966

I sprayed this in Debenhams the other day and I've wanted some ever since. I now have a 1ml sample, bought on Ebay. I reckon it's genuine as it smells exactly the same as the one in Debenhams.

I'm not very good at defining the scents of perfumes, but one thing I do know..it's a lovely smell! Something you will never become tired of. I also think it's a perfume you can wear anytime, not just at night. It would be a shame just to save it for special occasions, right?

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

Ok well first and foremost, THANK YOU MR. POLGE AND CHRISTOPHER SHELDRAKE. I was worried for a while about Mr. Polge since the aftermath I experienced with Chance and Chance Eww Tendre (intended misspell) and was hoping he would just leave the seemingly impromptu and hurried creation style behind and just let himself get inspired to give us another gloriously complex and classy fragrance that can serve to invigorate and provoke.

I didn't expect much from Coco Noir tbh. Coco Mademoiselle gave me the idea that they were just recycling ideas and were running a bit dry on the naming dept. So when I saw yet another "Coco" I was like oh goodness, here we go again.

In the bottle itself, I wasn't impressed by the scent emanating from it much. I tested it on the tester strip and fanned it a few times to let it aerate...still not wowed by it. Then I said to myself well hm, rose, tonka bean, sandalwood, vanilla, jasmine and frankincense were all scents I enjoy so why not? -spritzes on self-

My oh my, what beauty. Although I dare not wear Coco by Chanel out of love and respect for my Mum, I always cannot wait to indulge in a new Chanel release. And, now with Coco Noir I must say I've found a new Chanel love since Un Fleur de Chanel.

Coco Noir EDP has that delicious complexity I enjoy and have enjoyed in my previous favorite scents. This is the kind of Chanel I waited for. The floral/spicy/balsamic soul of this plays wonderfully with my body chemistry. My beloved really enjoyed this on me also, so that is always a plus. He couldn't stop telling me how good and sexy I smelled and seemed a little friskier than usual so needless to say I know we've found another keeper.

On me, I didn't notice any prominent patchouli nor citrus at all. The drydown was mainly vanilla, subtle bergamot, ever-sensual sandalwood, obvious tonka bean, a bit of patchouli, and rose. Although I do not notice much sillage, my darling kept saying he can smell it here and there when I am not around but I don't feel it radiates with that sort of intensity I experienced with Dolce & Gabbana, Casmir or Yvresse. It certainly didn't seem like a loud fragrance to me at all. I don't know if it was due to my nose getting accustomed to the scent after a while, it really is hard to say. But, what I can say in regards to longevity, this carried well into the 8+ hour mark on me although by then what I had left was a powdery spiced vanilla scent with ghosts of bergamot & tonka bean still haunting about.

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

So I think I'll be cherishing this fragrance for a good while until they come up with new ones. For the mean time, Coco Noir is placed as my Chanel darling of 2014. I hope it doesn't just become mere passing fad and stays on the shelves for a long time. One can only hope.

Sonja Novakovic
Sonja Novakovic

Very seductive. That is "noir" of this perfume. I can't stop wearing it. This one will suite bold women, true women.

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

'Noir' in Coco Noir doesn't mean
dark, evil, viscous, or malicious.
Neither it carries the idea on this
perfume should be piercingly intense,
dangerously powerful, and made to allure
with devilish intend.

Ironically, 'Noir' gives the idea on
somewhat melancholy yet bright, as if
there's sadness and there's always hope,
there's fate and faith in life...

I would say, this smells somewhat similar
to Coco Mademoiselle, but rosier, quite fruitier
and velvety. The bottle is to die for, a stand out
for your collection.

Hellita
Hellita

I'm curious about this one. Will try it on for real someday. Smelling it from the bottle, it's a yes from me.

kelleybelle
kelleybelle

A beauteous, bodacious blast of bergamot, my goodness. I'm not usually a fan of the latest mainstream release but this is so gorgeous I had to have it, although I'd say it's more of a sister to Coco than to Coco Madamoiselle. It's stunning and warm and spicy. For an evening out or a toasty night in front of the fire with a lover. Not for shy, meek types. For winter or fall when the days start to turn cold. Gorgeous! Did I say that already? :)

Augustarina
Augustarina

I thought I would love this fragrance, based on its notes, and was really looking forward to testing it. However, I found it a very lightweight scent, not dark at all, and actually not that interesting.

It starts off as a powdery fruity patchouli on me, and then just disappears into something a bit too light, derivative and flowery.

I was expecting darkness and drama and I got neither. But the bottle felt awesome in my hand. The last Chanel scent I owned was No. 19, still one of my favourites, but I haven't liked anything Chanel since then.

Nataja

Had to quickly add something here. What happened to me last night ( Saturday) evening-I was in this club-which was not crowded,just selected people. Anyway I lost a bet and had to order the next round of drinks. So I did my walk and ordered 7 different drinks,but the handsome bartender had his hands full and said he would bring them in a few min.."No problem"...went back to my table and 5 min later he came with not 7 but 15 drinks!!! And said they have been taken care of,but those guys sitting at the bar want to smell me again!! I was in shock,but its also polite to say "Thank you" so I went up to them, 2 of them were married and the others were single but one of them had some tissues and asked for my perfume and so I sprayed the tissue-there was not 1 of those men that said it stinks! They all loved it and remarked how erotic and classy it is! I didnt get lucky that night but I have a date for next Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MandiPants85
MandiPants85

I like this one by Chanel, it is a spicy ssassy scent for the modern young woman. It has all the elements which makes it an irresistable Chanel perfume, the Tonka bean sandalwood and patchouli all blend seamlessly to make a rich smooth scent. While I don't get a huge cirtusy feeling when I smell this, I definitely do get the rich middle bottom notes that characterize this scent. It's like wearing an expensive gourmet coffee, full of promise for the day :)

dbrii24
dbrii24

COCO Noir is COCO Mademoiselle's younger, darker and more vibrant sister. Since COCO Noir is an addition to the COCO family it's obvious that it shares similarities to COCO Mademoiselle. I've never been a big fan of Mademoiselle but this one is much more appealing to me. If you like strong fragrances and don't mind patchouli I would definitely give it a try. It's rich, fruity and bold. You should be warned that straight out of the bottle this number is very loud but it dries down to a beautiful, sultry and intriguing finish. It would be wise to wait about 15-20 minutes before leaving the house, but nevertheless this is a beauty.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

OOOH I love this!! the top notes dry down quickly and leave this aura of seductive earth notes. very sensual and alluring. the blend of all the ingredients work so well together.
this is for a sophisticated woman who knows who she is. You'd expect to smell this at Ball fund-raising galas.
I don't see this being used by younger ladies for everyday casual wear.
Strictly an evening smell with an eclectic beckoning. This is how a timeless fragrance should smell.

charmedbella

I discovered Coco Noir approximately a year ago. I've already left a review before (after I first received my bottle) and now I want to update it since I've spent a full year with Coco Noir. I've almost finished my first bottle and I have a second bottle ready to go the moment I run out.

This may not be the "noir" everyone was expecting, but even Chanel's website says "Coco Noir reveals a black that is intimate, seductive, and intensely brilliant". I agree with their statement. It is noir, but a brilliant, luminous, sparkling, yet incredibly sexy, modern, and sophisticated noir. It's a multi-faceted noir. I agree with the reviewers saying it is like champagne and diamonds.

Coco Noir, after having worn it almost exclusively for the past year, is really "my" scent now. My husband recognizes it immediately, he simply calls it my "Chanel" perfume, even though I have so many Chanel fragrances, it is the one that he associates with me and it's his absolute favorite fragrance I own. I love being associated with this elegant perfume. All my friends recognize it as mine as well and they love it on me.

It's also my "comfort" scent. When I spray it, I just feel ... complete. Like it was made for me. I would wear this all day, all night, any occasion, any time of year. It is modern and sophisticated enough to wear with anything, to anywhere.

This is everything I look for in a bottle of perfume. I'm so happy I found Coco Noir last year. I hope they never discontinue it, or else I'll go bankrupt buying all the bottles I possibly can. It is my signature.

Nataja

This smells luxurious and provocative..it has the smell of champagne and roses with other ingredients! It reminds me of walking down the Champs Elysses after a Theatre..its luminous enough that its a mixture of moonlight,stars,gold and silver sparkle in a long champagne flute glass cut finely to the last detail. Last but not least I spray this on my mink scarf and my lover never gets tired of smelling me. The noir in here is not the typical heavy noir everyone had been waiting for,then again every perfume would basically then hsve the same notes. The noir in here is there,but in another niveau higher up which makes it more mysterious and scintillating. This is the difference between American vs European. My opinion! Thankyou...

I got my girlfriend to try this first as I suspected it would be nice and I was correct in my assumption. I managed to get a sample and tried it on my skin too.
Typical Chanel really, wonderfully understated but maybe a little too much so for the striking black bottle and name. In other words nothing dark or sexy about this fragrance at all really, It's quite lightweight.
I was expecting dark thick, chocolately patchouli and tonka bean, with the fresh slightly floral notes and something similar to Black Orchid.
Instead the patchouli is floral and light with a mixture of woody creamy notes of sandalwood and a slightly balmy, musky, rose with sweet floral and citrus notes in the opening.
The drydown is a nice soft powdery patchouli/vanilla.
Coco Noir delivers a complexity which comes over as effortless which is a huge positive.
It's a great fragrance, technically well executed... I mean what else did I expect from Chanel?
Well I was expecting the possibility of being able to wear it myself which I can't... not because I couldn't pull it off, I simply don't like it enough.
This sums it up for me...
The shop assistant said "It's luminous isn't it?" and my girlfriend quickly and politely responded "yes...yes it is!" I said "Nah...not really?"
I just didn't think "Luminous" was an appropriate adjective to describe it but it's definitely not dark, or sexy or 'noir' enough for my liking, so maybe she was right?

indorm
indorm

What I get is shiny, glittery notes, like champagne, diamonds, a starry night sky. Not sure I know enough about perfumery yet to say this, but I think these guys were brilliant - creating for today's tutty-fruity obsessed market without losing the Chanel classiness. And still depicting an idea - the glamorous life style of Coco Chanel in Venice.

The lasting power is amazing. I tried it last night after work at around 6, and it's still on my skin this morning, and it is now 8:30 am. I wish I was the type who could skip a shower in the morning... Because I won't purchase, it doesn't really suit me, but I so enjoyed this glamorous scent.

williamvargas
williamvargas

bought this for my wife for Christmas thru the chanel on line site, it is truly a wonderful, sexy perfume that is just so soft , and when she wears this one I just want to squeeze her close. I have gotten her many samples of different things to try and this is the one she so often came back to. it has an elegance and class about it..it has that touch of floral and soft notes of others. I have always loved patchouli in fragrances and this is done so sweetly in this fragrance, every thing seems to blend together masterfully to me. makes me think of staring up into a night sky full of stars, especially when you are standing next to someone you care about.. great job chanel, love the bottle you picked for this one. i tip my hat to you and I'm just glad not everyone wears it. i appreciate it. thumbs way up.
this one has my heart Chanel...
might smell ok on the right fella.. someone with class and elegance..i could see that easily, maybe i will have to steal some from her when she isn't looking.. i have to laugh my oldest daughter has asked to borrow it and her mom , goes....hmmmmm...you know jenny i don't have that much left..so i would rather you pick something else... why don't you wear one of my other ones? i get a chuckle.. don't worry love i will get you some more..

sadfuq
sadfuq

Reminds too much of a man's cologne, I can still appreciate its complexity. Definitely something interesting.

Pusteblumchen
Pusteblumchen

I was longing for this perfume since I first tried it at the store last week... It caught my senses in a way I couldn't stop smelling my hand during the whole day.

Got it as gift last Friday :-)

For my nose it's firstly an explosion of jasmine, rose, sandalwood and vanilla! It's absolutely gorgeous and I have lots of perfumes to really underline this adjective!

The best of all! It's a scent that prints on you the WHOLE DAY! It's stays and evolves you gently during your day.

The dry out is smoothly woody floral and some sweet, it's wonderful. It's a perfume I can surely wear on a daily base for a whole week!

The flacon is a jewelry itself, an eye catcher for bringing a good mood too. Is worth the price. It's a joyful product.

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

Starts strongly with lime, rose and some kind of incense. Then sandalwood joins the party. Then whole mix warms up with vanilla. Maybe there is a patchouli, but it's soft and hippy like in the Lush cosmetics.

It's definitely a Chanel, but it's strange. I don't even know if I like it or not. Maybe the word "noir" made me expect something, well, thick, black, smokey and spicey, and the product is on the contrary much more fresh and sweet than I expected[ floral sweetnes not gourmand ]. And powerful.

It has something similar to Lush Coctail in it.

blaiseantoine
blaiseantoine

coco+ coco madamoiselle + allure sensuelle = coco noir. this is a perfect blend between three frags ,i honestly really like coco the original but i didnt find this one so bad as many reviewers stated ,on my skin this develops so good and not so overly feminine ,not overdosing it could b perfect even on a man skin . i wonder why males frags dont have this kind of sillage and longevity on my skin .
the bootle is the quintessential of elegance and luxury

7.5/10

Antares811

So elegant and sophisticated.
I will never get tired of this beautiful scent.
It's a classic-modern masterpiece, it's elegant and sultry, mysterious, feminine and extremely longlasting.
Class in a bottle!
Highly recommended! I LOVE it.

HollyBiani
HollyBiani

Okay, I totally get the blend of wood, resins, flowers, spices and fruit as noted by fragrantica. Patchouli is FAINT. I agree with the main accords of balsamic, citrus, warm spicy, aromatic completely. I don't know what you guys smelled when you voted.

Marie C Sim
Marie C Sim

I have tried so hard to love the Chanel fragrances ... the whole Marilyn Monroe attract I guess!!! But so far none worked with my body chemistry. I did a post here asking men what fragrance they felt was irresistible and Coco noir came up a lot. I went to the store, smelled it, liked it. Tried it and was unsure about it. I still ended up buying it. The next day I wore it and I am sorry to report that it really does not smell good on me. It does not smell bad, either though. It smells like these little soaps carved into roses that AVON used to sell in the 80's. It smells clean, very very soapy. Confirmed by my colleague working with me that day. Nothing bad, but nothing like I was expecting from this CHANEL Coco Noir. So now I am stuck with a 158 dollars bottle and I cannot wear it :(

Bella Donnatella
Bella Donnatella

What she said...Wistful Maiden...After falling in love with this sultry fragrance on a tester card. And yes it followed me for days seducing from its corner in my purse I finally gave in and purchased the beautiful dark bottle. I love it. I disagree with the others who said its too linear. I would say it depends on your chemistry and its nuances are subtle. And yes what she said about the cat. After putting it on the first time I've had my black cat stuck to me like glue. Is there catnip in there too?
If you have ever read the books about a certain feminine mysterious and magical character whose name is Vivien LeFay Morgan, with dark hair and eyes, creamy skin, oriental and with scarlet lips. THIS would certainly be the fragrance she wore as I imagine her. Bold and sultry. 10/10

Antares811

Nezi, on the contrary, I find the opening a bit too powerful and strong, bitter and masculine - but I guess it's a question of nose: my mom finds it too sweet! - (now I spray with very light hand), then this scent turns into a beautiful bouquet of flowers with a delicious balmy-powdery sandalwood-patchouli drydown, and I find it incredibly longlasting. Try it again, this beautiful perfume deserves it.

nezi
nezi

Maybe it is just me, but the first spray is the best in my opinion. Sexy, dark, masculine (in a good way), and then bam, nothing! I tried this at Saks 5th Ave, and then walked around for an hour and it faded so quickly and all I smelt was powder (I'm guessing because of the white musk/sandalwood). I really wanted to love this because COCO is way to strong for my skin, but it faded so quickly. I'm hoping it was just a bad tester. I will give it another try because I really did enjoy the beginning.

mona84
mona84

I'd been interested in this since I first read Sali Hughes (a beauty writer) raving about it in The Observer a year ago. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it; I don't dislike it but I'd be reluctant to wear it around other people. It starts off very citrus and masculine on me and this initial sharpness takes ages to wear off on me before it gets to its heart of rose. I've been trying to acclimatise myself to it so I've been wearing to bed almost every night. Funnily enough despite its masculine qualities it does remind me of Coco Mademoiselle but with the citrus element in full overdrive. If I smelt this on a man, I would be all over him, that much is sure.

Despite its name and the connotations such a label carries, it is for me a very fresh, almost "spring" scent and I think it will be great on really hot days. My idea of a noir scent is something like Hypnotic Poison, something lush and intense and enveloping. I think like many others the problem I have is trying to assimilate the incongruity between the name, the packaging, and the actual scent. I wished I wasn't so influenced by appearances but this proves that I am and I'm not able to appreciate this perfume on its own terms. The bottle is absolutely lovely, though. My relationship with Coco Noir thus far is one of learning to love each other, but I will persevere.

soulflwr
soulflwr

If I hadn't worn Bath and Body Work's Black Amethyst I probably would have loved this perfume. Unfortunately, I did and Coco Noir smells like Black Amethyst. I'm sure the nose wasn't trying to make a dupe of a BBW product....but she/he did, and a more expensive one at that. It's a shame though because I LOVE the black bottle. I just can't justify buying a $100 perfume, when I can get a $20 body butter that smells the exactly the same.

marios4
marios4

The top notes gives the idea of a male fragrance, for the sharpness and the acidity of bergamot and grapefruit; in the middle notes the green aspect of narcissus and powdery aspect of geranium decrease in a good way the very opulence of the absolute of jasmin and the essence and the absolute of rose, giving a soft but intense and classy floral character; the base notes are soft but not sweet, despite fava tonka and vanilla, especially to soften the patchouli and sandalwood.
It’s a fragrance suitable not for a young lady, but especially for a woman.
However a very refined and sophisticated fragrance, less easy than, for example, Coco Mademoiselle, with sweet and spicy flowers.
The black bottle is really really gorgeous….

TillyWave
TillyWave

This is going to be a long review, more of a story, so you are forewarned.

I originally tested CN several times from a 2 ml sample spray I’d gotten. It smelled fruity and sweet, it didn’t do too much on my skin, and it only lasted 2 or 3 hours. I wrote it off, not for me!

Fast forward to me making a purchase at a Chanel counter at Macys (a rare treat for me indeed, the nearest perfume counter besides Walmart’s perfume shelf is at least 250 miles away) and the sales woman gave me a spray on CN again on my skin and on a paper tester card. I didn’t think much of it, but I kept the paper…and then it called to me…it wafted the scent for days and I would be the hotel room, going to bed catching something wonderful in the air…what is that scent? It was the scent card, projecting for days from my nightstand.

In a somewhat rash decision I purchased a full bottle from Macy’s the day before I left. I didn’t want to go home without CN.

Now I am the owner of a bottle that cost well over $100, and I am feeling a little ambivalent about it. I like it, it has a nice rich roundness to it, the rose is really gorgeous, but still…it’s a bit linear. The bergamot/grapefruit notes are here and gone in a flash. The majority of CN smells like fruity patchouli (how come there are no real fruit notes in this perfume? How can that be?) complementing a sweet rose, with an undercurrent of vanilla/tonka bean. I guess as it dries down there is a tiny bit of sandalwood, and incense/musk, but for the most part it’s that sweet fruity patchouli rose. (Is this what a fruitchouli smells like?)

I have no idea what olibanum is, but I don’t find CN to be resinous, or earthy, or spicy, at all. How the dominant notes can be voted as patchouli (I mean earthy woody herbal patchouli pictured, not cleaned up patchouli) sandalwood, “olibanum,” and citrus is beyond me, as I either find them lacking or hiding in CN. It even depresses me a bit, because the 'resins' 'sandalwood' 'patchouli' 'earthy' notes in here are not natural, they are diluted frauds, they are imposters of what they could be, even when accounting for artistic license. Is this the sandalwood, patchouli, and resin of the 21st century?

I have extremely old school tastes (my favorite perfume is Aromatics Elixir) but really—this isn’t spicy, or old fashioned classy, or risqué, or particularly ‘noir’ at all, unless you count perfume that smells like lush purple fruits as vintage/sexy/risqué.

Now for the specs…CN wears like a skin scent after the first hour. To be fair, I have only tested in extremely cold weather, usually below 20 F, maybe it wears differently in humid and warm weather. It lasts for 6 to 8 hours. I can’t help but expect expensive perfumes to wear a bit louder than that and last a bit longer.

I guess I’m also disappointed that they invoked the original Coco, a perfume that really has personality, changes throughout the wear, and really is damn spicy and sexy. CN is just to linear to even be compared to the complex lady that Coco is. “Coco Mademoiselle Noir” would have been a mouthful but more appropriate, as CN smells like CM’s twilight cousin.

Well I won’t end on a downer, like I said, I do like CN, the sweet fruity patchouli rose is really well done. It smells really rich and deep, and when I want to wear something modern and sweet it fits the bill. Plus, like I said, the rose in here is amazing if you like roses. I layer it with CM pure perfume and the rose notes last until the drydown.

So I guess in the end I am just a bit puzzled by what everyone else is smelling—the reviews don’t match what’s in my bottle. But we all have different noses and tastes, and CN is not a bad perfume at all, it just doesn’t live up to the hype.

andronicos
andronicos

I think this one should switch names with the original Coco.

mokona
mokona

At first i thought i could never wear it. I loved the sent on a paper but there was something too masculin about it when on the skin; (i think men could wear it esaily).
Then winter came!!! and this perfum is revealed, really warm, spicy, elegant but cosy when worn on wool clothes, really Chanel.Definitly not a mainstream perfum!
The bottle is magnificent!!!

risarii
risarii

People have been unnecessarily negative towards Coco Noir, simply based on the fact that the name includes the word NOIR. A perfume that calls itself "Black" should be dark, mysterious, sexy and dangerous, they say. Well, I disagree. I mean, yes, Black can be sexy and dangerous, but that is not ALL that Black is or can be. Take the legendary Little Black Dress for an example. You don't immediately think of it just as sexy and dangerous. It can be chic, sophisticated, simple. It can be anything you want it to be. A LBD suits every woman, every mood. Black is everything; anything.

"White is not always light and black is not always dark." - Louise Nevelson

"Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is easy and lazy-- but mysterious." - Yohji Yamamoto

"Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute." - Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel did not see black as simply dark, sexy or dangerous. If she did, it would not have become her signature color (along with white). Chanel saw black as the ultimate color, versatile and multifaceted.
So this does truly live up to it's name, in my opinion. Coco Noir IS Noir, but it is Chanel's Noir.

As for my feelings for this perfume, I absolutely love it. It is actually pretty much what I expected when I first heard about it, although it even exceeded my expectations. It's sophisticated and very chic, mysterious, refined, luxurious. It has something there that is almost powdery... Not like baby powder or that "powder" note that people seem to hate so much, but an expensive silky body powder. It's what makes it feminine, saving it from an otherwise strong unisex vibe (although, practically any scent can be unisex, really.) I think it can be worn by anyone at anytime- work, play, day, night, old, young. You name it.

This is such a beautiful, special perfume. Some people find it boring or blasé, just as some people find black boring and blasé. But then there's people that can find the beauty in black, and love it, those that see the depth of it. Just like there's people that will find the exceptional beauty in this fragrance. I'm glad to count myself as one of them.

Cascade05
Cascade05

It rightfully do justice and stand by the word Noir... Seductive , charming , light , dark and ellegant !! Glides effortless from opera , cocktail to nightclub..Defi my evening signature perfume!!

Platinum1
Platinum1

Since I have been very fortunate (and grateful) enough to recently win a fragrantica giveaway of mostly mademoiselle perfumes I probably won't be making any of them a signature scent anytime soon? So the very least I can do is type out a review or two and let me just say you ladies are soo lucky with this one! As I'm partial to Polge's work to begin with this slightly dark and dusty creation for me is as super sultry and seductive as it is balanced and modestly sweet. A floral chypre wrapped in a fruity patchouli. And when the rose, sandlwood and musk come out to play, wow, it's just barely out of reach of uni~sex, Grrr! As I wore a spritz to bed and still going strong with breakfast I can only wish certain pour hommes had this type of longevity! This "imho" is for the intellectual yet romantic woman and I would absolutely love to walk in her wake of this masterpiece, kind regards.

Bonus ~ Awesome bottle wish my Platinum looked this classy in glass, sorry friend.

KaseyC
KaseyC

One of the best patchouli in my opinion. Don't let the name fool you. It's nothing similar to Coco. It does not have the heavy spicy note. It's sweet and citric. It does give me a dark romantic feeling that matches the name Noir. The whole scent is interesting and unique. I always came back to sniff more from this bottle when I was trying over 50 frags in the store. So, I know its deep qualities stand it out from all of the others. Would definitely get a full bottle.

goingblonde
goingblonde

I can barely tolerate it for the first few minutes,because it's so bitter at first spray .Then I get a bit of Jasmine an it dries down to very nice Patchouli & Sandalwood that I find intoxicatingly
pleasant :-)

I try to only wear it in cool weather or it gives me a headache ,which it does sometimes despite the temp .
But I enjoy it aside from that fact.
Longevity is 10/10 plus ! An it smells better to me the more time passes.

christianne1
christianne1

Pleasant, feminine and fairly mainstream fragrance, pretty safe bet for most folks since there is nothing odd or peculiar about it...I see it as a crowd pleaser. What I do not understand is the "Noir" in the name. The original Coco has a MUCH more "noir" feeling about it in every way. This is much softer and is less sultry and provocative than the original Coco and is even fairly daytime friendly if used lightly. For my nose, this just isn't what I would consider "noir" at all. If you take it out of the black bottle and put it in a white one or a clear one, it could be an "eau delicate" version of Coco (or Coco Mademoiselle) instead. Dry down reminds me of a more easy going and lighter version of Mademoiselle. For me, there are more similarities to CM than the original Coco.

Pretty fragrance....puzzling name.

blackw0lfx
blackw0lfx

this is great. i love coco, and i love coco noir. to me its lighter but also seductive. not in a bold way like coco, but a subtle way. to me it starts out fruity, with the grapefruit and bergamont. then i get creamy sandalwood with a tint of vanilla. then i get rose and patchouli with the olibanum adding some spice. it is kinda like what i imagine a seductress wearing. shes in the room and you dont notice her, but slowly you are being drawn in, unknowingly. i really love coco, she is bold and sexy. coco noir is sweet and seductive. im going to have to buy a bottle because i really love it. i find it sits close to my skin.

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I sprayed this on a few hours ago, debating between this and the original.Here are the main differences according to my taste: firstly I don't think "noir" really fits as this is somewhat lighter than the original and there isn't really any dark element that I can smell. When I think noir, I think musk, amber, some dark berries--not present. This also hasless adelhydes and a bit of powder(balsam?). I detect what Id call floral citrus. Its a nice change but Im not sure that its very noticeable or even half as long-lasting as the original. I would wear this if it was a gift for sure but Im not ready to spend the $$. This also does NOT make me sneeze as something in the original Chanel % does. Maybe that was the civet.
Funny thing, my cat seems to like it! Hes been sniffing and rubbing me since I got home :)

K1
K1

Chanel always gives goosebump!
Among many ordinary floral, bad or good, suddenly something extraordinary like a ray of sunlight from a hole in clouds comes out with bombing citric floral opening. This is just superb, chic and charismatic.
But fairly original Coco is noir enough, even somehow darker. And by the way the price is higher than many of Chanel even No 5, here. Yet I love it so so so much.

MuhannadQahtani
MuhannadQahtani

بالنسبة لي جدا جدا عادي ولا فية شئ مميز اشتريتة اول م نزل لكن تفاجئت فية صراحة - عادي جدا

Pteetsa
Pteetsa

My all-time favorite perfume is Chanel Chance. Noir is like Chance's bad girl cousin who wears lots of black eyeliner and smokes cigarettes. Whereas Chance is luxe, Noir is sexy. I really like it. Love the name and the bottle design, too.

sahasz
sahasz

it is weird, I went to choose a new perfume a bit bored of the old one and I was lucky to meet a very wonderful woman who spent an hour with me choosing the right fragrance, after going through 15 of them I was in between Allure and this Coco noir and I loved it in that shop on my wrist was very special felt it say me. Bought it, expensive 50ml.
Week later I stopped liking it, not even being bored you can deal with this, I just didn't understand why I bought it, I was trying to love it again but nothing of this sort happened.
I feel now it's definitely too powerful for me, and takes ages to actually start smelling the top notes. But oh well it must go somewhere or being used for even g only.
Get a sample first ladies!

zperr
zperr

This reminded me of Tom Ford Black Orchid but except coco noir is the milder version. Very Classy smell but i think that will suit better to over40 women. It is defininately not a young lady's perfume.

ranchorita
ranchorita

For Several years, Coco was my go-to fragrance, and for that time of my life, I felt it was the best projection of my innermost self. I tried Coco Noir for the first time several months ago and I found it hypnotic and gorgeous, but it did not remind me of the original Coco at all. The next time I tried it, it did not smell as good to me, and I put my sample away for a time.

I wore Coco Noir again today, and again find it riveting and gorgeous on drydown, but this time I have a sense of its correlation to the original Coco, though the two are very different.

I am mad for patchouli, and Coco Noir does not disappoint on that score with its well-balanced patch playing nicely with florals and sandalwood. Again, this is obviously a sister to Coco, but has a very different tone and aspect. I do miss the warm resins and exotic spices of Coco, but Coco Noir serves nicely as a different scent for a different mood, but still reeking of elegance. Sillage was good and longevity is impressive, smelling rich the whole way through.

I was pleased to learn that Chanel has recently added the lotion and Shower Gel to their line in this fragrance. I find their shower gels to be superb, and I expect good things from this one.

Womanly, elegant and refined. Definitely a classic.

Adjames
Adjames

Picture a beautiful woman playing a Nocturne on a baby grand piano at dusk...this is the noir for me. A beautiful, smooth yet subtle fragrance where one needs to "lean in" to smell it close to the skin. The noir is in the classy subtlety of the fragrance that makes one reminisce to a sentiment from the past...this is the noir for me. It is black and white like piano keys. At first I thought it would be too strong, but dries down to a classy, well-balanced slightly sweet smoothness that I love. Two men have followed me around the building so far.....this one is a beauty.

I LIKE that it is a much more tamed sent than Black Orchid or Noir de Noir. I am looking for delicate balance more than a fragrance bomb head ache.

Chanel No 5 is a bit too "in your face", showy and unreal for me. I'd rather wear Crystalle which is sparkling or the green No. 19 for it's luxury in a fresh way.

rottannie

I dont have longevity problems with this one. I actually layered coco edp and coco mademoiselle edp to see how close coco noir is to that combo. I found it similar. It lacks the sharpness of CM that I dont care for, but still has some of its nuances. Coco noir is a GORGEOUS perfume.

sanzioonofre
sanzioonofre

This a well blended scent between Coco and Coco Mademoiselle. It reminds me besides the mentioned fragrances above, Dolce&Gabbana By, Pour une Femme de Caron and somehow Ungaro II pour homme and Narciso Rodriguez for her. It is as if all of these fragrances popped up from time to time! I love it!

leorine
leorine

I have tried this perfume many times, smells very beautiful, but it does not stay longer than 1 hour on the skin. Considering the fact that channel perfumes are expensive I do not think it worths the amount you pay.

cwolf
cwolf

This is the most vintage smelling modern fragrance I have come across. To my nose it is very animalic, body smelling, quite sensual. Its interesting and well blended, the notes don't really pop out distinctly. It smells like someones jacket, all the mingling remnants of several perfumes and their own body scent.

sophiatwli
sophiatwli

I've been lusting for this perfume since August and I can't get my mind off it!
I never intended to buy it- in fact, never even heard of it when I was introduced to it!
I was wandering through the perfume aisles after work and the saleslady introduced me to it after I said I was looking for a classy, versatile perfume. Initially, I didn't think much of the perfume- It's definitely a sophisticated scent (that conjured images of women with impeccable updos and crisp white blouses) but I felt like I have smelled it on many women before (probably because of its similarities to Coco Mademoiselle). However, when I went back home, the perfume developed into this warm, inviting, creamy, sweet fragrance and I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists! I was addicted to it. The patchouli and sandalwood added a slight edge to the scent, and overall, the perfume reminded me of a femme fatale wearing a classy dress with a high slit meeting an undercover spy in a hotel in Venice. It reminded me so much of Paris and Venice in particular, and also vintage actresses like Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly. (At this point I have NEVER read any reviews nor watched the advertisements so I was struck by how accurate the description was!)
The scent lasted very long as well- I wore it in 100 degree weather in Shanghai and even after I went to the gym, took a shower, and slept for 8 hours, I can still smell it faintly, much to my delight.
It does last long, but as a close-to-skin scent, it isn't overpowering once it dries down. (It does come off as a bit strong during the first half an hour)

I really want to buy this- the only thing that's putting me off is the price tag :(. I've been trying out other alternatives but my mind always floats back to Coco Chanel Noir.

Scout
Scout

I want this one badly. I have tested it a couple times and there's something very familiar but quite unique about it. It has a syrup vibe, but is not at all that sickly sticky overdone sweet. No powder whatsoever, which thrills me. The patchouli is not detectable as an individual note to my nose; it is blended incredibly well to form a distinct new note, which again thrills me. To those who say it reminds them of Tom Ford Noir, I have to disagree. TF Noir is pure sex. It is quite animalic and assertive, and this is not. Perhaps it is closer to Black Orchid, but still is distinct from it. And I don't get the comparisons to Coco Mmlle either -- there is no Vetiver here.

Germany

I quite love this one. Its nothing like coco mademoiselle at all, I don't get that comparison what so ever. It's much more like coco ! In fact when I wear it my son says I smell like my sister , and my sisters signature scent for years and a decade has been coco! It also smells like Tom Ford NOiR de NOIR All the way! Some say like Tom fords black orchid , which I am not familiar with but to me its the sister of Noir de Noir and coco !
Elegant, seductive, bad, mysterious and dark, smells of patchouli rose and grape juice , dark truffles dipped in extra rum !

ellaquintero
ellaquintero

Coco Noir, just what I expected to be: Beautiful.
It's a perfect balance of strong and sweet notes. I'm actually so excited to finally have this one. I will try to be as objective as possible. For me, the original Coco is too strong, Coco Mademoiselle is amazing, and Coco Noir is beautiful. It's a perfect combination of vintage and contemporary. If you like old years, antique times, and vintage pretty stuff, you'll love this.
Warm, sweet, balanced, an elegant scent for autumn and winter. Maybe in summer and spring some notes appear different, I don't know.
I just believe Coco Noir is just perfect for an special night, or just to feel fancy, elegant and important one day.

wendyangeln
wendyangeln

Honestly, this is more like Coco Mademoiselle Noir than Coco Noir.
It seems to me like un mariage de TF Black Orchid et Coco Mademoiselle.

Very beautiful, definitely sensual, but if you came to it expecting a night-time Coco, you will be disappointed. It doesn't have half of Coco's maturity or depth. I, fortunately, smelled it on somebody else and loved it blindly, though I was surprised to learn that this was the smell of Coco Noir.
It is a very beautiful scent, just... not what you expect. It is a slightly more playful, slightly less risque version of TF Black Orchid. None of the sweetness/headiness that people dislike in Black Orchid, which is replaced here by Chanel's classic citrusy veil.
Very linear, doesn't develop into anything. First sniff = last whiff.

The bottle is spectacular, though. SPECTACULAR. Looks beautiful sitting on a dresser, if you care.

I really love it, but I understand why diehard Coco fans were disappointed by this, especially considering how over the top the marketing was.

Anatares

Pipergirl, if you need advice: I have and love both,my two favorite scents, Coco Noir is the only one who can compare to No 5 but, in my opinion, No 5 (EDP) is the winner.

pipergirl
pipergirl

I sprayed this on at the mall today not really knowing what to expect. But lo and behold - I have found Coco light! And that to me is a good thing because the regular Coco is just a bit too (actually way too) spicy on my skin. Noir has some of the spiciness of Coco combined with the fresh patchouli of Coco M and the result is - beautifully elegant, feminine, sexy. I can see wearing Noir at an elegant evening event but, at the same time (sprayed sparingly) I don't think it would be too much to wear during the day, it strikes me as quite versatile. I'm going to test this again, but I think that Noir is going on my want list right along with No 5. The dilemma will be in deciding which one to buy first.

Annushkalove
Annushkalove

I was a little bit dissapointed bec I was expecting a darker or more intense Coco or even darker Coco Mademoiselle. But after my initial dissapointment I find this a rather pleasing scent. I find myself trying to inhale my wrist all through out the day. Lol imo, i found the marketing a bit misleading. i agree with previous reviews that Coco Noir is more like Pourpre. :P if it is not what you are expecting too (like me) please give it a second chance. You might suddenly like it. Btw, this doesnt last long on me unlike Coco and CM. :(

messier42
messier42

Oh my! What a gorgeous fragrance! The ultimate blend... I love how the fresh notes mingle with the spiced slightly sweet base, it creates the perfect blend of fresh spice sweet. It's more subtle than other chanels,and I love this. It is not a night time scent, dont be fooled by the name, i feel the reference noir is to its mystery. It's not for someone who wants to smell like a 'chanel'. It's more of a complement of character becuase it wears subtly. It's not overly noticeable on a person, but the trail it leaves is what makes it special, it's what makes it noir.
The blend is so well balanced, it doesn't evolve much, it is what it is. I like that too. I almost get a spiced nougat vibe in the background.
The smell it leaves after a day or so is quite raw and womanly...

Oh I forgot to add... How insanely gorgeous that treasure of a bottle is!

Juliana6

This goes brilliantly with the Indian summer. Sun, cold and a bit humid air, falling autumn leaves and this calm, lightly sad mood. A slow walk in the park, all the nature scents and colors, and a breeze which brings a whiff of this perfume from my scarf. Like somebody dear is walking next to me though I can't see him in reality. His steps and her whispers. The sensation of presence.
A painting, a piece of art.

adele l
adele l

Begins as a spicy oriental (like Coco) but dries down to a sweet powdery skin scent with prominent geranium and incense..reminds me of Black Saffron by Byredo. Feels like a cozy relaxing bedtime scent to me.

Jose Marcos

I think Noir suits Coco Noir as it feels like an evening fragrance. It is not that feminine, but I have this feeling someone like, I don't know, Grace kelly is somewhere very close by. that is the mood when I smell Coco Noir. Of course I don't have much mileage into women's perfum, so the ladies must have a bigger knowledge and can tell something about originality and how Coco Noir stands among other scents in the same league.
There is a note in the opennig I cannot identify that is indeed very feminine, perhaps the narscissus, fruity and buttery at the same time, but it fades very quickly and then it goes on the path of ambery, sandalwood and litlle vanilla, patchoulli sort of scent. Very warm and confident. Maybe it a little too sweet. But overall it is a very classy scent, not for women only, that can be defined by the wearer. I can't stop thinking about CK Obsession. They seem to have a lot in common. However, there is no match for Chanel quality and appeal. I may not wear it but I am happy to own something as nice as Coco Noir. And who knows it won't add a little depth to Egoiste, as they share some notes? The bottle feels a little odd being quite smaller than male's scents.

Manolob88
Manolob88

Overhyped and overpriced!
I tried a sample of this, and the high expectations dropped! It's a very soft and weak scent and do not live up to it's name; Noir.
By the look at the exclusive and elegant bottle, I was hoping to smell a rather dark, sexy and unique scent.

elegia
elegia

Coco Noir is a very smooth, luxurious scent. It's very sweet, which seems to confuse many people who are expecting something perhaps spicier and darker given the "Noir" connotations. I do feel that the name is a bit misleading (and that the original Coco is much more "Noir" than Coco Noir), but I can see that it is still appropriate because this scent is incredibly rich, deep, and suitable for nightwear. It's sweet but not cloying at all, and it's heavy but with a certain floral freshness (and relatively low sillage) that keeps it light on the skin. The initial notes were a bit sharp and patchouli-heavy but settled into a very lovely , very sweet floral composition with some underlying patchouli to give it that distinctive sweet-patchouli characteristic. Because of this, I see that people have compared it to Coco Mademoiselle, but I feel like people are inclined to automatically associate anything patchouli with Coco Mlle these days. The drydown was comparatively disappointing for me and for that reason I opted to hold off on purchasing - very nice and very "Chanel", heavy on the musk and sandalwood, but nothing particularly special or distinctive and dare I say somewhat boring. Overall, I quite like this fragrance and think that it is very pleasant, unoffensive, elegant, and sort of comfortingly sensual - the sweetness gives it a softer and shyer quality than, say, the spice-heavy Coco or incense-heavy Opium and Shalimar, which are perfumes that jump to the top of my mind when I think of "noir". For that reason I don't think that it's quite as much of a statement-maker, but nevertheless it's a very beautiful fragrance.

SayakaP
SayakaP

Original Coco was my signature scent in mid 20s which is long ago.
I guess I loved the "I'm sexy and I know it" attitude of Coco.
It felt perfect for young, fearless & nocturnal chick like me!

I saw Coco Noire at the Chanel counter just a while ago. Of course I had to try it.
Original Coco I remember was "noire" already. I assumed Coco Noire should be darker than that and wicked.

Well, it was surprisingly ...floral and quiet.
It gives me an image of lots and lots of red roses in a dark garden.

It has got nothing with Original Coco, but it's beautiful. And it does have a different "noire" feeling in it.

Bouquet
Bouquet

I want to weigh in this 'fume...

First off, it more like a "sheer" noir than a true opaque noir.

Secondly, it is more like a sister to the other Chanels, with its own personality, not a more intense version of Coco or Coco Mademoiselle.

Here is my anology for the three:

The sister "Coco" is bold, independent and extroverted, enjoys going out to see Rock music, especially from the '70s and '80s. She sometimes wears black fishnets, has a red mani/pedi,and black peep toe shoes with red accents.

The sister "Coco Mademoiselle" is stubborn, a little spoiled, trendy, chatty, enjoys going to the "in" clubs and large concerts with popular contemporary music. She sometimes wears brown designer knee boots with designer logos on them. She wears whatever the hot color is for manis and pedis.

The sister "Coco Noir" is elegant and 1940s-1950s retro chic. She has strong opinions, but is soft spoken. She is gracious, tactful, attentive, very observant. She sometimes has a beigey-pink (or silver) mani/pedi with black lace detailing. She has been known to wear Cuban heeled sheer black stockings and backless black heels with silver details. She enjoys small jazz clubs.

I have Coco Noir and I love it because it is long lasting, versatile, but not overbearing.

Nataja

2 sprays of this with 1 spray of Tom Fords Black Orchid and you will be want to bite yourself. Yummy!

hollyms
hollyms

Love this, so freaking sexy. Just delicious.

Alex1984
Alex1984

@Jose Marcos, a man can wear anything he likes. Coco Noir isn't a particularly feminine frag, lots of patchouli and a bit floral. Not as classy as Eau Premiere but quite similar to a lot of frags out there. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad perfume but Chanel could have done better. Wear it with pride!

Jose Marcos

Thank you, Alex1984. Most of my scent were blind buys, so I think I will go for CN.

Can a man wear Coco Noir? Just looking at the notes makes me want to smell it. What is there that isn't in a male scent, after all? I must confess tha the name Chanel does draw attention and the male's bottles are so few. On the other hand I don't want to go around smelling like a lady, or even an old lady. However I have a bottle of No 5 Eau Premiere, it smells just like a mornig cologne that won't bother anyone. Infusion d'Iris is much louder. Ah, well, anyone, please?

varykino
varykino

Coco Noir is much nicer than I'd expected, truth be told. All the talk about how it's closer to CM than to Coco original, well... to my nose, CM is a dense, dreary and harshly pitched fragrance, so that wasn't promising at all. (More apologies to the CM lovers — maybe CM simply doesn't love me! It makes me feel actually gloomy to smell it.)

But while still fairly compact, Coco Noir does have some air in it (unlike the CM stranglehold). The patchouli and sandalwood here are warm and soft-spoken, and a refined floral chord, mostly jasmine and narcissus with a touch of rose, swirls on and mingles with an almost minty green, aromatic undercurrent that I like very much. It feels like a classy comfort scent, very Chanel quality, for all that it leaves something to be desired in terms of uniqueness. I like it a whole lot better than CM, probably a little less than Allure Sensuelle, but nowhere, nowhere near as much as the intoxicating, original Coco (which will always in my heart be the real Coco). Coco and Coco Noir feel like such different breeds, though, that I'm not sure if comparing them even makes sense. There may be a hint of Coco's sumptuous richness in Noir, if I press my nose to my wrist and breathe deeply, but I've got to look for it pretty hard.

mutercim78
mutercim78

Chanel has just released the bath and body line of this. I don't think it will be discontinued.

florencia
florencia

This perfume is something that can like or not, why????...... because the blend between notes of " Coco" and "Coco Mademoiselle" = " Coco Noir" I think is a potion. In my personal opinion....I can smell the sandalwood and the olibanum on my skin is so light that i can stand, because coco is so strong on me.. and besides isn´t a fragance that you can smell every moorning while walk to work or school or wherever you go... like coco mademoiselle...

tanya.love700
tanya.love700

I can't even express how much I love this fragrance. I'm not a big Chanel lover when it comes to perfumes but this is incredible. It's so unique. I would describe it as a musky, florally, woody, bittersweet scent. It kind of reminds me of mariah Carey's M perfume but BETTER. This perfume was very well constructed and I must say it really makes me feel strong and confident when I wear it. I'd definitely say it's an evening wear (hence the name Coco Noir) and it's definitely something that will last long on the skin. This scent is pretty much everything I look for in a perfume and I'm so glad I stumbled upon it.

notmenoeb
notmenoeb

i recently sampled this after having read so many appraing reviews of this scent. Having high expectations, I was definitely in for a deception. On me this is identical to Coco Mademoiselle with a slight greener note. It's probably just a matter of skin chemitry, but I am glad I got rid of any purchasing thoughts regarding this one. Coco Mademoiselle is much softer, more chic and a little more feminine than this one, although the resemblance between the two is great. It vould prove a good choice for those who are in for green, chypre scents.

fuggerone
fuggerone

great and deeply seducing,like Black Orchid a scent for those guys who like a kinky aura, definitely a unisex scent!

appyfaerie
appyfaerie

First things first, I was intrigued by the (strikingly) gorgeous solid black bottle. Upon opening my sample, I could tell it was very similar to Mademoiselle. When I asked my husband's opinion, he noticed a rather prominent licorice note, and I agreed (I know licorice is not listed here, but there is definitely something in this fragrance that reminds us of it).

Coco Noir bears a remarkably close resemblance to Coco Mademoiselle, but they are not identical. Where the Mademoiselle is bright and dry, the Noir is dark and slightly sweetened by a touch of licorice. As it settles, it leaves just a wisp of smoke and a hint of leather. It is warm and cozy, like a black rabbit fur coat (not that I wear fur). In all, I find it somewhat interesting and I like it.

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

WOW!talking about an attention grabber.In my opinion It is a big point for a perfume when some of people dont like it as it means you have a special perfume who it can't be ordinary and popular at all. whenever you wear a frgrance that you truly love,it makes a huge difference in the way you feel that day,the way you carry your self and the way that you interact with others. Modern, Sophisticated,Confident, Seductive,Intriguing and Elegant.

The top notes are fresh with bergamot and grapefruit.the heart notes are more floral and sophisticated with rose,jasmine and narcissus. finally patchouli and sandalwood mixed togethet in the base notes that's incredibly seductive.this composition is a definition of seduction and richness of a stylish woman as this scent is irresistible for so many men.

COCO NOIR is so suitable for when you have a big event.It is definitely a night fragrance.ideal for a modern lady who want to capture everybody attention and surely for Autumn and Winter.In my mind it is not the best CHANEL but really laudable and beautiful. Expensive but worth every penny.Ladies this fragrance will keep the men coming.

Sillage?Ok.

Longevity?Acceptable on my skin.

7.25/10

jellybeantree

This is so sophisticated and special , I can't even describe how interesting it is. It's has a feeling of times past . When woman wore pearls out in the daytime and red lips and fits with Coco Chanel's image! I would wear this on a special occasion or an event where you want to feel classic and beautiful. There no candy floss or sugar or fruit. This is a real woman's fragrance , not a girl. I feel it has a timeless beauty just like Chanel N°5 .

CaSentBeau
CaSentBeau

To me Depeche Mode Black Celebration is the essence of noir, the darkest album of the eighties, a milestone in music history. I know all the lyrics by heart, in fact this is how I learned how to speak English. Quite honestly I would buy Coco Noir for the choice of soundtrack for the advertisement alone...

Coming from such a luxurious black bottle it is surprisingly modest and easy to wear. I could easily wear this to work. I love how it gradually unfolds through many layers before drying down to an elegant musky scent that lingers close to the skin and makes me feel calm, relaxed and confident.

Tusnelda
Tusnelda

When I first tried this a year ago I literally ran for the doors - I had to get some fresh air. It was stifling. Fast forward and a year later I am smitten...
I agree with the blogger who commented that this was not so much "noir" as "purple", and it may not be groundbreaking but I really like it. When I am through my 30 mls I will most likely move on to something else, I don't expect it to become a new signature scent, but for now I am well pleased.

carla isabel
carla isabel

Quando, na perfumaria, vaporizei este perfume para aquele pedacinho de papel, estava longe de imaginar que se tornaria no "meu perfume ". Lá na perfumaria o cheiro saiu pesado, forte e desagradável, no entanto, a primeira borrifadela saiu torta e foi parar no meu braço. Umas 3 horas depois sentia-me envolta num aroma entonteante, carinhoso, delicado, sensual mas não excessivo, arrebatador ! Passei o resto do dia a cheirar o braço, não queria deixar de sentir aquele aroma. No outro dia, sentia que se estava a desvanecer e comecei a sentir falta daquela mistura de sentimentos de êxtase. Não consegui continuar a viver sem ele, nós fizemos química, estou completamente apaixonada!

Nursie
Nursie

I love this so much! I only wish I lived in a cold climate so I could wear this every day of the year. I fear it would be too much on a hot, humid night.

Am so in love...

savitanaraine
savitanaraine

I just received a bottle of this scent and I found it to be wonderful. Its sweet and playful for the first half hour and then it starts to dry down into a beautiful incensy scent, which to me makes it 'noir'. It's also surprisingly long lasting because I sprayed one spray on my arm about 2 hours before I went to bed and when I awoke it was definitely still noticeable. That's about 11 hours...also I have dry skin. It's definitely a nightime scent for me as it can give me a headache in hot temperatures.

Anatares

Beautiful, very elegant, classy scent. Feminine, sexy and powerful. I love it!
A delicious, sensual balmy-powdery floral with a warm patchouli drydown. My favorite along with Chanel No 5, Allure EDT and Coco Mademoiselle.
I never get tired of this. I don't find any similarities with Coco and Coco M.lle, it's a gorgeous perfume on his own, with a strong personality.
Absolutely recommended. Best patchouli scent ever, very high quality flowers.

DariDahlia
DariDahlia

Very sophisticated! This starts off STRONG, put it on an hour before going out. The dry down smells exactly like an expensive french perfume should; no "chemical" smells here, just flowers & spice, expertly blended.
This s great fragrance for parties, events, etc. I think I would take this to Vegas or wear it to a rock concert.

sangraria
sangraria

When i bought it i was hoping that it will be the dry down from coco chanel edp, the vintage one.and it was...but as many others have said it does not last long, and i have to reapply it from four in four hours. i would love to bath in such an odor.i definitely crave for the scent.it makes me feel comfortable, elegant, mysterious and in shape for lust.definitely my signature scent.

noseinheaven
noseinheaven

This is the perfume I reach for on a performance night when I need confidence and to feel sophisticated, and elegant. It feels a little detached and refined. I used several samples and I finally bought a bottle. Now that I have it, I am still getting to know it. I feel like I have to re-apply it, it doesn't seem to keep it's strength too long on me. I am still happy I bought it.

kadinurr
kadinurr

I love love love the base, but sadly can't stand the heart of the perfume - it turns very sweet, sticky and overwhelming on me. If Coco Noir soap came out, I'd defiantely buy.

sjam3295

How I love this perfume. I have discovered that the geranium in this is actually rose geranium leaf, which apparently smells like roses, so the geranium I think I can smell may be entirely a projection of my own mind. No less gorgeous for being an illusion.

I'm sorry, I know I've already done a review of this; it's just that every time I put it on, I feel I have to tell someone how wonderful it makes me feel. No disrespect to dislikers intended - not proselytising, merely sharing the love.

No True Scotsman
No True Scotsman

I tried this one on for size today and it wasn't a perfect fit by a large margin. The opening is terrible, very ugly. Thankfully it soon mellows out, but the dry-down is... overwhelmingly meh. I just couldn't bring myself to care about it either way, and this (for me) is not what I look for in a fragrance. It's not a *bad* scent, it's actually quite well put-together I think, but just... meh. It's sweet, fairly inoffensive, an uninteresting Coco. A good choice perhaps if you want a safe, well-blended work-friendly scent, but it's a world of whatever for me. Also, longevity was quite poor on my skin, only 3 hours or so.

isatesa
isatesa

Sooo.... I was shocked by the amount of negative reviews regarding this perfume. I own Coco and despite being only 25, identify well with it. Coco Mademoiselle is a great perfume as well, yet so over-worn, that I did not re-buy it after 2005. Coco and Coco Mademoiselle are at two opposite ends of the spectrum in my opinion. Coco is the femme fatale, vamp, dark, badass chick, while Coco Mademoiselle is her daytime witty sister. Coco Mademoiselle is her daytime sister, witty, flirty, fresh young, a smart exec or smart student...
Coco Noir really isn't that bad, people come on. It fits somewhere on the Coco Continuum, somwhere between the two mothers. I know it is difficult for fume aficionados like us to be impartial, but really this perfume is not that bad. Sure, it could have been better, if the marketing campaign didn't market it as "dark". I find it soft, sexy, sultry, witty, energizing, actually light and dark... This perfume should have been called 50 shades of Coco, because of the very difficulty to classify it... Coco is certainly not an orphan but she is a rebel daughters.
At any rate, I have removed my own biases and preconceived ideas based on the plethora of negative reviews, and I like it... I feel elegance, silk, and class... somewhere in Venice, Istanbul, Miami, or Paris, at dawn or dusk... This one's a chameleon but beautiful nonethless... Enjoy

gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr
gritzalimaria@yahoo.gr

i think that this one is the best so far. fresh, modern perfume, femminine, sexy, balmy yes, happy scent, i like it very very much!

nadeschka
nadeschka

Since I barely remember the Coco Mademoiselle (gave the bottle away years ago and did not revisit it) and am more familiar with Coco I do actually detect all the nods towards its bigger sister: After about 30 minutes a toned down heart of Coco appears. Like the more accessible Eau Première of No.5, I can see Coco Noir as a door opener for Coco. If Coco intrigued you but somehow you never could completely warm to its bold spicey aura, than the Noir would be worth a try.
Like No.19 Poudré, Coco Noir is not necessary. In fact, for me it is disappointing.The scent is not bad at all, in contrary! But I expected something more original from Chanel and bolder considering the drop dead gorgeous flacon. Why could they not just create a completely new scent fill it in that black bottle and call it simply "NOIR"!

sjam3295

I completely agree with davitea, this reminds me not at all of Coco or Coco Mademoiselle and very much more of Tom Ford's Black Orchid.

I'm insanely in love with this perfume. I was initially wary because of all the hype and the reputation of the house (ironically), but this scent is a triumph. How could I ever doubt Chanel?

Bright, melodious citrus; fragrant geraniums in the window boxes along the canal; dark, passionate, smoky, musky rose; earthy, mysterious, sexy woods; balmy, sinful resins and spices.

Do yourself a large favour: dab on some Coco Noir, sit back and read “Stone’s Fall” by Iain Pears, then tell me if this scent isn’t the perfect soundtrack to Venice, circa 1867.

relder175
relder175

Beautiful! Chanel is eternal!

davitea
davitea

I just tried this today at the mall: It's beutiful but it doesn't remind me of Coco nor of Mademoiselle ( and I had them both), first half an hour reminded me most of Tom Ford's Black Orchid, anybody else got this? Then I compared the notes (thank you Fragrantica) and I can see it's patchouli, sandalwood and jasmine that they are sharing.
I' m seriusly thinking of getting it for my birthday but it didn't last too long on me; maybe I should take the advice of the reviewers and save it for winter use, anything evaporates quickly in a hot car on a hot day.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

This is the first time I made a journey into Chanel fragrances. Thanks to the perfumery generously giving me test viles to try out. Coco Noir is exquisite. It is the serenity brought about by true elegance and a quiet knowledge of standing on your own, dignified, poised. Perhaps that is the beauty of this fragrance - it is poised, like calmly walking down the stairs/onto a stage in a long ball gown of black silk, there is a darkness, though not an overwhelming darkness. Simply a rich darkness as seen in wooden ebony wood panels of a favourite room, or the black of that ball gown I mention.
it is sumptuous, as in the fruity opening notes. Fresh, though not sharp and gourmand.
It will probably be my next purchase even before the next Comme Des Garcons. So glad I found it.
Also will be trying all three versions of Chance and I hope they are also a positive.

mirisfrik
mirisfrik

I expected a dark, rich and strong perfume, but I could hardly feel the smell after spraying it on my skin. I was so disappointed, so I chose another fragrance company.

Coco Noir

of new hopes, and
being open-up.

teilani
teilani

I am a huge fan of Coco and have very little use for Mademoiselle. I was curious about Coco Noir and found it to be a lovely lighter (however ironic, true) alternative to Coco. It stands beautifully and securely on its own as far as my nose is concerned and I'm glad I let the sales lady talk me into the 100 mL bottle considering the comparatively modest step up in price against volume.

ljira
ljira

Coco Noir is synchronized mix of primarily two perfumes: Coco Mademoiselle and Coco but, frankly, there are fragmentary evocations of some other perfumes of the house Chanel.
Thus, it is Coco, quieter and less striking, deliberately in a shadow of Mademoiselle.
The whole composition is syrupy-thick from beginning to the very end. Most of the time, as I said,it is Mademoiselle, saturated and denser than the stand alone version, with not too wide but noticeable aura, heavier and sticky (I like that - if there are no raspberries or strawberries). Although there is no salinity and the metal hollow tone, oily and consistent, it reveals itself as the "old" Mademoiselle, bit sweeter and stronger. Throughout the Coco fragrance can be felt sharply powdery, without notes of cardboard and brandy and at the dry down, on the skin, and wherever a drop touched , it will dominate.

I understand why there're so much disappointments: you get two in one, when you expect "something" (other / new?) in the famous perfume house.
Noir, hmm? I would not ignore that part of the name, easily.

This fragrance should be allowed to "work" on the skin and although this is not a blockbuster,it is far from being simple and trivial water.
(On my skin) it is extremely durable, with aura, drawing pleasant associations and thoughts, and extremely good comments. It loves my skin, thanks God, and my skin love it.
(After the reformulation of Mademoiselle Coco healed my perfume-mental wounds) ;).

Ana_Raio
Ana_Raio

I agree with those who defined this fragrance like a version of "Coco Mademoiselle Noir". The nuance with the original Coco is minimal ...

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

"It is always better to be slightly underdressed" -Coco Chanel.
...and that is exactly how the magic works in Coco Noir, it never really makes me feel satiated. The musk, sandalwood and patchouli together tie a knot. Makes me smell it again and again. Teasing me, flirting with me. I long for more... A masterpiece.

Germany

A keeper. Better than Coco Nd definitely nicer tha coco Mad in my opinion. It's a mix between the two. It younger and more of a fruity patchouli. My going of scent. Totally love it. It's classy yet fun and sophisticated. It's modernized version of the older coco. I love the older coco way more than stretchy mademoiselle. But this one is perfect!

sunnysaintstar
sunnysaintstar

It's strange for a Chanel perfume but with me it didn't last at all. I hardly could smell it on me, it doesn't take on my skin. after the first hour it's gone. This almost never happens with me, So it's a let down.

Eos
Eos

I tested this today and much to my surprise this smelled very little like the notes that were voted as being most prominent. It opened intensely fruity with a slight aquatic edge reminiscent of watermelon candy. It then turned into a fruity, jasmine and sandalwood scent. Strangely my overall impression of Coco Noir was that it was lush and almost wet smelling. I got no patchouli or incense whatsoever. Its a like, but not a love.

Tovah
Tovah

I think this is a beautiful fragrance. It calls to mind other Chanels, and I love that it has that extraordinary Chanel "feel". I don't care a bit if Coco Noir has some similar notes as other Chanels, because I am enchanted by Chanels. I love Coco, and I think it's one of the most dazzling and distinctive fragrances in the world. To me, Coco Noir is a brilliant combination of some of the most outstanding characteristics of Coco and CocoMlle. It doesn't matter how many other "versions" are inspired; there can never be too much Coco or too many Chanels!

xxstarburstxx
xxstarburstxx

I got this because I love my Chanel Coco and felt that a noir, ie darker scent, would be desirable - disappointed : (
Although undeniably lovely it is gentle and cosy. Dries down into buttery powdery whiff very quickly. Stays very close to the skin with a little sillage at first & next to no lasting power. Have to continually top up during the day...
Chanel Coco however is more interesting, has more bite and infinitely more sillage & longevity.
May use them both together...

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I'm in love! I admire all the Chanel fragrances and have gone through stages in life with all of them. I am in need of a new everyday signature since Herve Leger was discontinued and I feel uncomfortable sporting vintage Obsession to the park and grocery store. This is so comforting and sexy at the same time (does that make sense?). The tonka bean and the patchouli blend so well and the lovely layers of soft floral. There are many mixed reviews for this online so definitely try before you buy at this price point. Today I had already put on some Pacifica solid Lilac fragrance then layered this over it, and my word pure springtime magic!

smellME
smellME

I got a small decant from swap and didn't really wanna try it cause the reviews were not that great... Tried it yesterday for the first time on...
My what a beauty ! I got lovely whifs all day and had to respray several times only cause I wanted to ! Its not that noir/ dark as I thought but more of a day scent for me. I have day scents darker than this
Not really similar to Coco, nor mademoiselle but its very own creation.
A really nice juice all throught the the natural bergamot top to the balmy drydown.I could imagine a full bottle !

Elsee
Elsee

When I tried this the first time, I was not impressed - just average and faded quickly...so I thought! The next time it was different. It was the ONLY one I tried that day which made a huge difference in the way I felt about it. The sales clerk gave me a sample and I wore it for a few days and literally became addicted!

Went to Macy's this weekend and bought a bottle. Worth every single penny!! And it lasts and lasts - it even ends up smelling more gorgeous!

This is slightly reminiscent of EL Private Collection but not as green and way more luxurious! To me, this does not smell like Coco or Coco M at all. It belongs in a category all by itself.

I love it!

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

I dont usually like buying department store perfumes, but this one was a nice suprise ! Why is it that I love Coco Noir, but hate the other Coco ? I wear suits daily and Coco Noir enables me to concentrate without compromising sensuality . The other Coco sometimes gives me headaches - it has been a love-hate relationship. But Coco Noir is high up on my list. It is very classy, it is gorgeous and meant for a sexy woman of substance. This will remain in my perfume collection. I wear this at daytime too..... depending on my mood. But I can keep wearing this till early summer.

flying_colours
flying_colours

I wasn't going to buy this but I caved in today. This happened because 1. I love both Coco and Coco Mademoiselle, and 2. I had a premonition that, knowing my luck, if I didn't buy it it would go out of production and I'd regret not getting it. I'm currently wearing the entire Coco triad on different parts of my arms in order to compare them. First of all, if you like both Coco and CM I'm almost certain you're going to like this. If you like only CM, you'll probably like this. If you like only Coco, no guarantees. It bridges the gap between Coco and CM but is closer to the CM end of the spectrum. It may have been more accurate to call it Coco Mademoiselle Noir, but I guess that isn't so catchy. I can see myself wearing this on those occasions where Coco feels too heavy but I want something deeper than CM. Needless to say, I love this a lot but I would say that if you already own the other Cocos, you don't NEED this. Only if you really love them. And the bottle is gorgeous, which definitely influenced my buying decision!

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

Suffice it to say that Coco Noir is beyond gorgeous. The original Coco is probably my favorite of the Coco line, but Noir is equally well blended and quite beautiful. Controlling application can give a variance in how the scent wears, too, so I do the walk-thru for casual settings and spray directly on the skin for evening wear. Coco Noir has great silage, and it's a room killer at first, so beware - apply in advance of departure and adjust the dosage according to your company! I am proud to have this in my collection and hope that despite its relatively poor sales (Chanel expected to duplicate their success with CM, from what I hear) I truly hope they keep this one around for many years to come. I absolutely adore it.

Juliana6

It's a very serious perfume. Rich, dark ( well, that's what can be called "Noir"), citrusy - balmy scent.
Brings back memories...

When I was a little girl I was sick very often. To get me rid from the cough, my grandma made me inhale some herbal vapor (I was leaning over a tin bowl filled with boiling water and with the herbs I didn't recognize, my head was covered with a towel). The drydown of this scent reminds me that warm, aromatic mixture of herbal scents.
It's a special Special occasion scent, an evening scent, created to be worn with elegant dresses, high heels and pearls (although Coco Chanel liked jewelry, I would wear it with real pearls or precious stones).
An elegant, strong and seducing Perfume.

ForrealMe2

is it just me you guys or is this just a lighter version of coco?i just bought this from frangranceX and it seems legit but its not as strong and potent as regular coco either?when i first smelled this in Macy's it smelled like coco & coco M...now with this new bottle all i smell is a lighter coco chanel that is not as strong or deep...a modern version of coco that i think would not be as long lasting as the old coco chanel because it doesn't have that 80's vibe from the blend...i consider this a more day time version of coco chanel you could wear for work,more versatile...is anyone else getting the same experience?

update:for some reason this version made my nose flare..so i sprayed just once on my neck and maybe once a bit lower on my chest not so close to my nose and now i am enjoying it more...it's very nice..its just a tamer coco without the rose being as strong which i prefer in coco but this is nice too..funny enough the regular coco is stronger than this and doesn't make me flare up...it was very strong for 2-3hours straight and started calming down from that point you get at least 3-4 hours where you can smell it lingering a bit 4-5 hours is pushing it..definately much milder than regular coco but it still gives off that Chanel vibe...i am beginning to like it cause i love Chanel's signature fragrances...i would totally recommend this for younger crowed moving up from Coco Mademoiselle which is the point...if you really think of it this was a smart move for Chanel because this is going to cater to everyone...they are looking at if from the standpoint of how can we get everyone to have a Chanel...with these varieties of perfumes there is no way you could not at least walk away with one you enjoy!

Update:Oh I really am enjoying this more and more...sorry i judged this one too quickly before...i can really appreciate this one now..Chanel took the best parts of each of their top fragrances and put it all in Noir..i really do smell Coco,Coco M & Allure but all their best parts...I love it more and more.I smell the sweet rose of Coco,the fresh sweetness of CM & the bergamont zest and smoothness in Allure..i have tried them all and the best are those 3-Coco first,then Noir,then Coco M..that is my preference based on strenght,depth and beauty.

aveilhe
aveilhe

This fragrance makes more sense as a "noir" version of Coco Mademoiselle (they are quite similar) than it does as a flanker of the original Coco. The original Coco is dark, spicy, mysterious -- a truly dramatic nighttime scent. There is nothing particularly "noir" about CN, with the exception of patchouli. It is intensely sweet and fruity during the first 30 minutes of progression on the skin -- too fruity for my taste. But it does have a lovely dry-down: warm and incense-y. You definitely have to like fruitchouli scents to appreciate CN (though I will say this is one of the better versions of this trend on the market).

I will start by saying I am not a huge fan of Chanel, Coco Noir is ambiguous , it smells dry, spicy , almost masculine to my nose the drydown is nicer, richer, but the scent has a different aura, I don't find it to be a happy perfume. There are orientals out there with a more vibrant projection than Coco Noir . It is indeed Noir, doesnt put me in a happy mood.
I will recognize it is a quality scent, just not for me, I don't feel I smell pretty wearing it.

Lefemmenikita
Lefemmenikita

I finally got to try this via a store tester.

I am glad that this is a fragrance in-line with what I would normally associate with the house of Chanel, and not a boring, generic, dime-a-dozen perfume designed to keep up with the latest trends (à la the Chanel Chance range)

Edit: I finally bought a bottle of this. It's very odd, but the first time I sprayed this, (properly that is, not the tester) it had amazing lasting power and sillage. Strangely, the scent now seems to disappear in 5 mins despite it being stored in a cool dry dark place.

It does have similarities to Chanel-Coco, though somehow, this is less dark/noir than that. Here, I sense more of a sweet orange note that I don't get with Coco.

shanghaifleur
shanghaifleur

When I first sampled Coco noir I thought I mistakenly sprayed Coco Mademoiselle. Then I tried it again and yes, there is definitely CM in it. Now that I had the chance to sample it several times, I think that Coco Noir is actually a version on its own, and it's not that bad....I might even like it!
I'm one of those who are really tired of smelling Coco Mademoiselle on everybody and their mother, so I wouldn't care for yet another perfume that would be another clone of CM minus flowers.
I think Coco Noir is a nice upgrade, and, thank God, not yet that mainstream to be recognizable on everybody.
I will keep sampling Coco Noir for the time being, letting myself slowly being charmed by it's sandalwood and patchouli dry down (my favorite stage for this perfume)....I might end up buying a full bottle someday!...I don't think however that Coco Noir will do well under hot weather, I think this is more a fragrance for winter and nighttime.

hautegaunt
hautegaunt

For the elegant gal who's outgrown Mademoiselle, but not yet mature enough for Coco. I think this addition is perfect

CBT
CBT

Smells expensive, dark and slutty in the best way. Gothic and androgenous - citrus cools down the balmy musky-ness, making Coco Noir almost smell like a particularly sweet men's cologne. This coldness combined with the heaviness of the musk lends an air of 'noir' formality. The black and gold bottle is so gorgeous and this perfume LASTS - when I shower the day after spraying it, I get delicious billows of Coco Noir in the steam.

I wear this one when I want to feel like a bitchy gothic slut princess - wearing black lace and fuck all else but still too expensive to touch :P

ninelives97
ninelives97

There seems to be some hate for coco noir not being noir enough. I don't care. I absolutely love this scent. It has layers and is warm and soft spicy without being brash. Nice powdery patchouli dry down. Not obnoxious fruity patchouli. Sexy and cozy like cashmere pajamas. My special occasion signature.

Kiera79
Kiera79

Wow, I smell gorgeous right now. I am not a Coco Chanel fan, just because I don't like powdery scents, but this isn't powdery at all. It's really a nicely blended fragrance. Also, my skin sucks up perfume like it was dying of thirst, but im over 4 hours in and I can still smell it!

At first I though this might be too mature for me, but no! It's just beautiful. I must own a bottle of this. Immediately.

charmedbella

I smelled this on one of those fragrance cards at a department store and didn't care for it. However, after my last Chanel purchase, I received a sample of Coco Noir and decided to try it on my skin.

This is just amazing! It has all my favorite notes... patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, tonka bean, and bergamot. It's incredibly well-blended. My husband loves this and he says it smells like lavender. I fell head over heels in love with this fragrance as soon as it hit my wrists.

I consider Coco Mademoiselle to be my signature scent, but Coco Noir is a softer, sexier, more grown-up version of CM. Although the opening is similar to CM, the citrus in Coco Noir is toned down and gives way to a beautiful, soft, elegant sweetness. I almost feel like Noir might be my signature...

It's almost too soft to be a "noir" fragrance, but I don't care about the name. It is alluring and sensual thanks to it's softness. It's not as aggressive as the younger sister (Mademoiselle), yet it's more modern than the older sister (Coco). If you like Mademoiselle, but don't like to follow the popular trends, Coco Noir would be a great alternative. It's more unique and original than Mademoiselle and you definitely won't smell Noir on everyone like you would with Mademoiselle.

Personally, it's so beautiful, I'd wear this day or night. I don't know if I'd wear this grocery shopping, but it would work for the office or dinner with friends or a romantic night with my husband. I can also see this easily working on a balmy, hot summer night due to it's softness.

hathor
hathor

come back to fragrantica from a long absence to write a review about this one. i bought this last autumn on the way to my greek island where i wore it in the evenings. couldn't smell it much on myself but a girlfriend of mine there said she could smell me coming down the road!! very many compliments made me suspect i was onto a winner. i really fell in love with it in Jamaica this January. warm, sultry, tropial nights with smells of exotic flowers in the darkness, strange wonderful songs of birds and tree frogs, wet earth and greenery after an impossibly heavy rain shower which fell straight down out of the sky like ramrods. tropical rain forest in a bottle. This perfume is just perfect for humid summer evenings in the tropics when any other perfume except maybe Opium would just vanish. you can tell it is a family member of the heavier chanels, containing elements of Coco, Allure Sensuelle, and Mademoiselle.But Noir has a character all of its own. It has some similarities with La Petite Robe Noir but that is sweeter with more tonka bean and black cherries. i have also found it to have something of a modern take on Arpege. this perfume makes up for years of wishy-washy transparency , pink goo and general nondescriptness. Congratulations to Chanel

suzy_claire
suzy_claire

I agree with opinions below! perfume is a mixture of coconut and allure sensuelle madeimoselle ... striking, seductive, elegant.

Jenny Peycheva
Jenny Peycheva

just amazing! i absolutely adore it! this is a pure class in a bottle.

racka64
racka64

Man-magnet in a bottle :) Wearable (oh I could wear it all day long, day and night) in an office, but it would be a waste, cos it blooms fully in the nightlife.

akats

Sometimes, we have to get used to a scent, or at least approach it more so as to decide wether we like it or not. In case of CN, it took me sometime so as to forget about comparisons to its sisters. Now, I love it and think that it stands on its own, and has a unique character. Patchouli and sandalwood together with sour notes from fruits, is a delightful combination. Florals, especialy geranium and rose give it a depth, and narcisuss that "noir" note. The heart is smoky, and dry. The drydown is warmer and sensual with hints of vanilla and musk.

tosu
tosu

I must be lucky because on me this is noir, dark balmy and incence like.
It' doesn't smell like mademoiselle( own mad to) at all on me more like my Black Orchid.
Coco noir is like a sweet dark potion and i love it

I tried it in the stores and just got a sample, so I re-tried it on my skin. I can't say how bad I find it. I don't want to name what it reminds me of, but I find this scent sickening. It's one of the worst IMO. I guess balmy and patchouli scents are not my cup of tea.

Pace,MioDolceCuore
Pace,MioDolceCuore

Never thought I'd consider myself too old for a certain Chanel fragrance.
It took me quite a while to even sample this because there seems to be only one place in my whole area that seems to carry it - Dillards.

Someone said that to folks with a bunch of private line Guerlains this won't hold much fascination currently as we're truly overloaded with fruitchoulis right now (and I agree with that asessment) - but I'm sure down the line this one will still be there as a high quality representative of 2012. Sillage was moderate on me but longevity is incredible. I took a shower because I had sprayed just about every available with different things - I even scrubbed it off, but it's still there and now it smells identical to Coco Mademoiselle.

At first spray I got a ton of fruit, amplified by patchouli. Loooots of fruit. Unfortunately the balmy part never arrived on my skin and the frankincense did not say hello either. I wished the bergamotte would have come out, but I didn't get it either.

I'm 32 and I felt that this was too young for me and my skin. It hadn't even changed much on me after 3 hours as I was hoping for the 'noir' notes to start coming through. Unfortunately the counter was out of samples as I was hoping to try again and see if that was just bad luck chemistry wise or if the bottle I had used to sample from was maybe exposed to too much heat etc, because I wonder why the scent was so mild for a Chanel.

Or maybe I'm just used to far darker notes because I am truly puzzled about the noir in the name.

But thumbs up for longevity - I scrubbed and scrubbed and I can still smell the patchouli.

k.dehaas
k.dehaas

This is my most expensive perfume.
And I can smell that back in the quality.
It is wonderfull with the fresh, citrusly notes
in the top and it becomes balmy and a little bit soapy in the hart and it is a warm luxurious smell.

It reminds me slightly of Bvlgari, mon jasmin noir & the citrusy hints of Fan di fendi eau de toilette.

But I can notice that those are both more synthetic smelling with the warmts of the almonts in Bvlgari and the blending of the citrus in Fan di Fendi eau de toilette. That citrus is more synthetic and sharp and the almonts in Bvlgari are very warm but also feel to me like more synthetic and hold on to his original smell.

I love how you can feel the quality and the blending perfom on your skin during time. It stays warm with hints of freshness from time to time.

Really natural and good quality. I love it!
You do have to try it first because you can't blind buy it because it perfoms differently depending on your skin type.

ChristianSetian13
ChristianSetian13

My girlfriend wore this yesterday,she smelled so mature and yummy.

vivik

This is my second review,tried it again after some time at Sephora yesterday, loved it! /I am not a Chanel fan though/, for me it´s like a warmed and slightly citrused version of Midnight Poison /as mentioned before/, lasting power was incredible, still could smell it in the morning, sillage amazing too... contemplating purchase...

miljanadjurdjev
miljanadjurdjev

This fragrance is not even close to Chance or Mms. For a big fan of Chanel,such as I am,this is more than disappointment. It lasts only an houre or two.....It is NOT LONG LASTING AT ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EnPassant
EnPassant

I bought a huge bottle of CN without try it before... The belgian saleswoman told me that they hadn't a tester (...now I'm wondering if that was on purpose...) When I got at the hotel... I opened the box and... and...I found it only OK.
I was punched by patchouli in a kind of too bitter way... Not bad thing in itself but I was expecting a lot of more class and mystery.

And as Katie P. said... this ain't NOIR at all. Coromandel for example is much more NOIR than this.

Pusur
Pusur

Coco Noir is one of those shouldn´t be judge after hours but days. Is seems to be heavy, aggressive and ``too much ``but give him 24 and more hours. You will get amazing veil that reminds high quality velvet filled with rich colors of wine, spices and scent of luxury. And at the end is clean a bit still spicy note of man´s shirt forgotten outside, waiting for rain.

gleigh
gleigh

This is my first time to ever write about a perfume on any site EVER. When I first tried this in Macys...I hated it!! I was there buying more Coco Mmle, and I sprayed the noir on my wrist and for the first 30 minutes I did not like it AT ALL. Then...after about 45 minutes, as I was about to wash it off, I noticed it had changed into something that smelled soft, seductive and feminine. Its not overpowering and it does not have a distinct 'perfume'smell. It just develops into something soft and alluring. I'm definitely buying this one tomorrow. I love the mademoiselle for day and the Noir is the perfect scent for evening. From what I have read it seems people either love it or hate it. I felt both- hated it at first, then found it irresistable. It isnt one of those fragrances that make an entire room turn around as you enter or walk by... It is one that someone would notice when they are close to you. And thats a good thing to me:)

HazelMae
HazelMae

A lot of perfumistas derided this, but I think they forgot who its actually for. To someone with a shelf full of classic Guerlains and obscure niche scents, this isn't going to be intriguing. I think the point of this is more to be a revitalized Coco Mademoiselle, which is starting to feel dated. In 10-20 years perfumistas will then be allowed to like this, as most of the really crappy fruit-choulis will have disappeared, something else will be ubiquitous and the idea won't seem so banal anymore.

So, this smells good and it's not nearly as bimbo-ish as Coco Mademoiselle. It does have more of an evening feel as the citrus is a little dryer and the jasmine more pronounced. At first it reminded me of Bulgari Jasmin Noir but after a few wearings I realize that BJN is much edgier and Coco Noir is more refined with its identifiable Chanel feel.

I think this would make a great gift for anyone who is a fan of CM or Miss Dior Cherie - and that's the other purpose of bringing out this type of 'fume, to give husbands/boyfriends/sons something to buy their significant other who already has CM. Chanel is a pretty remarkable company from a business/brand standpoint!

johanna.lindholm
johanna.lindholm

It is a great scent, but it's so mature. It needs to be worn by a mature woman. It smells okay on my teenage skin, but it would smell a hell of a lot better if I was older. This is a future buy for the future me. It smells really much of patchouli, sandalwood and musk. A bit of citrus notes comes along as well. The bottle is just beautiful and classic. The shape is like the other ones, Coco mademoiselle, NO.5 and so on. The price is really expensive, but hopefully it will get cheaper with the years so I can afford it in the future!

passion4fashion
passion4fashion

Imagine you are in a lounge, where only rich people would go.
Soft music, dim light,
and there is such a pretty lady,
with long and dark hair,
innocent-looking and beautiful brown eyes,
wearing a black dress,
she looks classy, sophisticated and mysterious,
and you know every man wants her.

She is too shy to speak out loud, she doesn't like attention,
That's what Coco Noir is.

:P

fdmc
fdmc

High fragrance as is the habit of all perfumes Chanel. Luxury and high-sew convey the feeling of power and beauty.
A floral and woody fragrance for contemporary women and elegant.
Fresh, sweet and intoxicating.
Radiates sensuality and mystery.
I'm excited to have this excellent perfume.

A floral and woody fragrance for contemporary women and elegant.
Fresh, sweet and intoxicating.
Inrradia sensuality and mystery.
I'm excited to have this excellent perfume.

Soutty123

As an experiment, having read the reviews on here I applied a small squirt of original Coco, applied a small squirt of Allure Sensuelle on top and then a small squirt of Coco Mademoiselle EDT on top of that and compared it to a spray of Coco Noir on my other wrist. The result is uncannily similar but much better sillage from layering the original 3. I would never ever have thought of layering any of my chanels the result is incredibly classy (although not necessarily all that noir). If like me you already own Coco, Allure Sensuelle and CM you may as well just buy a sample of Coco Noir and compare it with the other three combined.

framorena
framorena

never met a fragrance that changes so much between paper and skin before. on paper you ask yourself why did chanel make a so vanilla fragrance, but if you wear it... something tender, sweet, rosy but classy envelop you and I became so engaged that I bought the 100 ml right away. And today, the day after, I feel soooo happy wearing it... try on your skin before saying it's a obvious fragrance, that's my suggestion! of course, you might like sweet smelling, otherwise, if your a "opium" or D&G The One girl you can't...even if I've to admit I'm both, depending on my hromones...

Daisydukes
Daisydukes

I agree that this one is not well named, but memories aside i like it better than the original Coco. It feels more modern and easier to wear.

s_athena

I may have to eat the words of my first review about this one.

I didn't want to like it with all of the hype and marketing brouhaha, but after trying the sample multiple times I must say this stuff is GOOD, but with three caveats:

1. I still don't think the name fits the fragrance. It is not Noir, and especially not a darker interpretation of Coco original like "Coco Noir" would suggest.
2. I definitely don't see any originality here: Coco Mlle + Allure Sensuelle + Egoiste (minus the spicier notes) = Coco Noir.
3. The marketing is over the top for a fragrance that's only worth a B in my book. This ended up on way too many "best of" lists, just because it's the latest Chanel and it's not a "fruity-floral" or sugary concoction like every other new release.
4. Tested on paper, this fails miserably. Sillage and longevity are both poor, and the fragrance doesn't develop into anything. This is why I wrote such a scathing review last time (I believe I called it a "corporate cancer of a fragrance").

All of that said, on skin this stuff really blossoms into something lovely - a woody, spicy rose with LOTS of patchouli and just enough citrus to balance out the heaviness. One spray is enough for a cloud that lasts reasonably well - do at most two sprays if you really want to leave a trail. It's a solid day-to-night fragrance - sexy, but sophisticated and put-together enough for work. I didn't want to like it, but after trying it multiple times at work I think this is full-bottle worthy for me. Coco is too much, and Mademoiselle is too little, but Coco "Noir" is just right. Coco Noir fits me the best of the Chanels I've liked: more mature than my signature Chance, and in a similar sexy-sophisticated vein as Allure Sensuelle but more work-appropriate. It pushes no new boundaries and merely copies and mixes a few of the standbys, but the mix WORKS! I could see this juice becoming a new signature to replace my Chance!

Just don't tell the anti-corporate snob side of me about this, mmmkay? She would pitch a fit, occupy Chanel headquarters in protest, and call me a bourgeois sell-out for paying this much for an unoriginal combo of other Chanels... but if that's the case, then call me a sell-out!

Passionflower
Passionflower

I love it, I love it, I love it! Today I wore Coco Noir for the first time ever. It stayed with me througout the whole day, so it's got brilliant staying power. I also like Coco Mademoiselle a lot, but I think I prefer Coco Noir. Coco Noir is sweeter and not as 'loud' and a little less 'sour' compared to Mademoiselle. Noir's got the kind of intoxicating sweetness I love about Lola by Marc Jacobs, but it's way more sophisticated and luxurious. Coco Noir is warm, feminine, noticeable in a non-obtrusive way and classy. Its a little powdery but it still makes you stand out in a crowd. There's no sharp edges. Coco Noir is elegant and though it's recognisable as Chanel (it was to my collegae at work anyway), I would wear it to suit different moods and occasions as I would Mademoiselle. I'm gonna start saving up now to buy myself a bottle of Coco Noir and in the meantime I'll use my sample vials wisely!

annettepe
annettepe

i received a small sample of this and am trying to use it sparingly since i really like it! its such a mature, but not too old, classic and sophisticated scent. its sweet but not cloying and i would say quiet earthy as well.

i can smell the patchouli throughout, which gives the fragrance an earthy feel. I can also smell woody notes very strongly in the beginning as well as the freshness of faint citrus and florals. after a short while the tonka bean and vanilla comes through and the fragrance becomes more warm and comforting as time passes. I would say this scent is distinctive but not at all too strong or in your face. the opening reminds me a lot of Coco Mademoiselle though this version develops into a warmer fragrance, which i find more alluring.

the staying power is not too great. it lasted 2 hours on my skin and after that i couldnt smell it anymore. although this scent lingers better on clothes though you dont get the same effect since i find that it reacts differently on the skin.

dskov2
dskov2

I LOVE this beautiful scent, it is worth every penny. Noir is the kind of scent that you either love or hate. For my sake i can only say that chanel Can't seem to create a perfume that I dont love. Indulge yourself!

derkargy
derkargy

A bad,darker interpretation of Coco Mademoiselle.Sorry,but I find this indifferent and boring.

magdapetrine

I love this one. It is a real favourite of mine, only just beaten by Roberto Cavalli. Smells feminine, not too intense, sweet and soft. For those special evenings with that special person.

ladeebrd
ladeebrd

I read about half of these reviews before i got a chance to try Noir for myself and i have to say i am LOVING this perfume, i tried coco on my skin a couple of weeks ago and it made me feel like an old lady, reminding me of some talcom powder my mother uses. Needless to say i did not have high hopes for Noir. Noir surprised me, where Coco was powdery Noir was spicy and sexy. I cannot wait to purchase this perfume x

kristalbee
kristalbee

Got this fragrance for Xmas having bought the Coco for myself a few weeks before. Love it!! -Where the 'noir' coes into it other than the bottle is a mystery though -this fragrance, if it were an item of clothing would be a soft sensual cashmere sweater -and I'd be snuggling next to a log fire -its delicious,expensive ,the dry down soft and comforting. But 'noir'?...pas de tout!

aqua76239
aqua76239

this is going to be a very short review-I tried it at Nordstroms the other day and it smells just like Coco M and original Coco together. To my nose its not really "noir" but to each one their own. I can't say I care for it because I really don't like original Coco. If you love both fragrances, by all means get Coco Noir. Its nice but not for me

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I received a sample of this fragrance with my Christmas present of the lovely Chanel body creme that is designed to go with the Les Exclusifs scents. At first I found Coco Noir to be a bit synthetic smelling but through the middle notes and drydown I am really liking it. It speaks to the Chanel history and mystery and makes a clear reference to Coromandel, in my opinion. As a patchouli and Coromandel lover, there was no way I could not love this.

I find that the jasmine and the darker woody notes combined are also references to my 2 other favorites, Bois des Isles and Cuir de Russie. For me it is noir, and I will wear it only in the evening. It seems too heavy on my skin for daytime, but it will be a great follow-on to Coromandel or Cuir de Russie. Wear Coromandel for daytime and then add Coco Noir for evening. The perfect combination! Excellent job, Chanel!

miss mills
miss mills

Stitch me up and call me a fan, the opening notes are just like Coco EDT to me, the dry down is quite different, woody, not so ambergris heavy and doesn't last as long as I'd like on me but holy moly, I LOVE it!

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

I tried this last night and I don't get all the hate. I am a Chanel lover through and through, though, so maybe that is part of it. It is not Coco Mademoiselle over again. While it does contain the fruit and patchouli, which I love, it also contains a lot of woods. Nice. Super nice. I don't always want to scream. There are many times I just want to smell great and not say "Look at me!". Not overly sexy, not attention grabbing, just good; smells like quality and good taste.

susset

Oh la la. Really a perfect shot from Chanel. It has it all and i just love it !

milklizard
milklizard

After not smelling this for a few weeks I've changed my mind about it. I used to really love it when it came out. Its just okay and smells kind of old ladyish. Beautiful bottle but the fragrance is just not the best.

Raquel73

Esta es la tercera opinion que hago de Coco Noir, esta vez en español que para mi es mas sencillo.
Hoy me he duchado y sin ningun olor a jabon u otro perfume lo he probado de nuevo,se abre con un halo de frescor, el limon es muy perceptible y se asienta en dos o tres minutos, puedo oler las flores jazmin y narciso,un olor dulce y suave.El aroma se queda muy cerca de la piel,yo no puedo oler vainilla ni rosa en ella.Se asienta con un suave pachuli y sandalo,el sillage es debil en mi, aunque esta vez dura muchas horas,pero muy cerca de la piel.
No lo encuentro parecido a mademoiselle ni mucho menos a Coco, para mi un gran alivio en este caso :-)
Quiza para una noche romantica ,donde la cercania sea evidente, el perfume funcione perfectamente,no lo veo para salidas nocturnas o lugares muy cargados, donde el perfume pasaria desapercibido, no es sexy, nada ofensivo, pero te hace sentir mujer!! :-)
Creo que esta vez, Coco Noir me ha ganado.

Bobby in Alaska
Bobby in Alaska

It's named COCO NOIR, and it's neither Coco nor noir.

aber19
aber19

I love the black bottle, that is where it ends. It reminded of me of passion fruit, lemony fragrances and the link it to the old purple/black bottle version of Dior poison watered down with some sweet flowers.

I could not really smell much of the old masterpiece of EDP Coco Chanel which lasts for days on clothes.

Instead, it was a completely different fragrance. I am always aware that if the fragrance is not that great, they will link it an classic formula. I could smell the incense.

It reminded me of a combination of the black versace bottle fragrance with the black diamond stylised top. Then add Calvin Klein's night obsession, with a sweet passion fruit and flowers would accurately describe this perfume fusion on my clothes. It did not last terribly long on my clothes which was a good thing.

beatrix75
beatrix75

Chanel hm the best product ever for me all Chanel things are the best out there and Noir its one of them .I like sooo much ist so feminine dark explozing smell everibody ask me what you weare its so good and realy its amazing strong creamier different from everithin i had before.I love chanel.

Margox
Margox

I like Coco Noir, but....
it is much like Magical Moon by Hanae Mori for me. And Magical Moon has been around since 2006.
Magical Moon is it for me.
It is a bit more dense and concentrated in the incense cent. The powdery feel is predominant. I can truly admit at first I thought I was wearing 'grandma's ' perfume, but after it settled it made me feel sophisticated.

Love Magical Moon.
Like Coco Noir.

Aegils
Aegils

It's a nice fragrance. But that's about it: nice. nothing spectacular about it nowow factor about it at all. Sits very close to skin, very light novery long lasting. Nothing I would call noire or worth the large price tag.

Indigomama
Indigomama

Coco Noir is all about posh. Not Glamour but pure and full-blown posh. Nevertheless, or maybe because of that I love it. I used to be a n5 devoted wearer (not a girl but definitely not a lady, I hate the idea of being a lady) and having turned 40 started to find it sort of too-well behaved and so sorry to say it, boring. I needed a fresh start and there came godsend Coco Noir. I love classic Coco and hate Coco Mlle, but currently I adore Coco Noir. It is sparkling, loud, fun and definitely a statement perfume. Not I would say for the faint at heart but suitable for all ages and purposes in the same sense as n5 is, but in a less reserved manner. Coco I believe may become a modern n5, one fits all in a good way. But please do not ever try to compare it with classic black Coco, they do not share common missions and visions, they are not even cousins. In a nutshell, Coco Noir is a modern, appealing and successful quintessence of Chanel perfumerie and it deserves appraisal as such, not as an addition to Coco family. They should have named it something else so that classic Coco fans do not feel mislead.

chain

I have written several unpleasant reviews about this perfume.Now l have a different opinion,l have been wearing it for a while now and l bet you ,this perfume l love so much even more than my coco M and silage is great (please) ignore negative reviews if you really want this and enjoy the pleasant,calming smell of this perfume.To those that love it enjoy and to those that hate it ,hope chanel redeems itself to you.Am pleased.

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

I just can't describe what this does to me. It's just intoxicating. It feels so "expensive" on me. That sounds cheesy, but I really do feel expensive wearing it. That's one thing I love about Chanel perfumes. They make you feel like a million bucks. IMHO, this perfume is just perfection from the moment I spray it on until the moment that last whiff of vanilla enters my nose. I love the progression of notes. The citrusy start, the gorgeous floral middle, the resin and patchouli, and the soft vanilla. I find the vanilla very prominent in the last few hours of the drydown. It's just delicious. I can honestly say this might be a perfect perfume on my skin. There is nothing about it I would change. And it's just mature enough for someone in their late 20's (me) without smelling like my grandma, who wears Chanel No. 5. Sillage and longevity are perfect as well!

Calissi
Calissi

Yuk... I adore the Chanel fragances. But for me this one just smells like old woman!

andrea.turner.37604
andrea.turner.37604

I love Coco Noir - the first time I tried it I was surprised by how fresh it smelt, but grows to a long lasting rich fragrance. The packaging is classic and wish I could afford it to be my everyday wear. I tried Chanel no 5 again but found it too cloying. But out of all the Chanel perfumes, found this to be the most wearable but shall stick to it in Autumn and Winter as a little to heavy for the warmer months.

hollycat
hollycat

So I finally got around to smelling Coco Noir the other day at Macys. This may be the easiest scent to review.

If you've smelled Coco Chanel and Coco Madamoiselle, then you've smelled Coco Noir.

When first sprayed I get the clear presence of Coco Madamoiselle, with the patchouli and that orangy fruity note, then as it dries down the original Coco starts to get more prominant with its spicy animalic presence. In the end the dry down is almost all original Coco, with some remnants of Madmoiselle hanging on, esp the patchouli.

Actually this "Noir" doesnt really make sense since the original Coco is deeper, darker, spicier, warmer and much more "noir" than this.

I would have expected Chanel to be a bit more innovative that this. They sure charge enough. C'mon Chanel, find a muse to create something original. And by muse I dont mean Brad Pitt.

LULUBELLEFISHER
LULUBELLEFISHER

Tried it today. Beautiful fragrance. Reminds me of V&R Flowerbomb.

HelenAnn
HelenAnn

Saw it, smelt it, bought it! Oh I love this dark heavenly Parfum. Purchased just the 50 ml in the most darling bottle. I LOVE black - this is for me. Smells black. Rich, but not too rich for summer wear, especially evenings.

Soutty123

Nothing noir about this fragrance but it is fresh and smart. An ideal work fragrance I think. If you want Noir go for something like Black Orchid or Sensuous Noir.

not insolence
not insolence

COCO NOIR Chanel=CODE ULTIMATE Armani for men

guynspfld
guynspfld

I do not understand why people get so upset when Chanel releases a new frag. Yes, Bleu is a nightmare, but a sales success. Noir is just, In my opinion, a further step forward in the Coco family. I recall all the complaints about Coco Mademoiselle and not it is beloved. I like the way it smells and will wear it as a man. I like the smokey, earthy smell and it lasts.

annette kisha
annette kisha

when i spotted noir in the shelfs of my department store i was surprised.... something new by chanel? what might it smell like? so i gave it a spritz of the testing bottle they had there.... i owned a few creations of this house before: coco, no 19, allure.... i expected something new and different, but nah its a typical chanel smell, i can clearly regognise the note that all chanels have in common.... i cant say its cheap or for younger market, for me its just another add on to a tradition of perfummaking of this house, nothing surprising, nothing fresh or new. they ride on the save side with it.you spray it on and let it develope, a variation of a classic idea. boring. who wants samples and remixes these days, when everyone is calling for personality? so i let it pass and wait for another surprise....

Henriette
Henriette

I have never tried this Coco Noir but I am puzzled to the extreme to see that the sillage and lasting power are so controversially considered in the graph above. This should be almost an objective fact shouldn't it? What am I missing?

dasparfum

birde kızdığım gucci nin guilty de tercih ettiği depeche mode u taklit etmesi. yakışmadı. Black gecen baska sarkı yok muydu

dasparfum

depeche mode Black Celebration' la yapılan tanıtım iyice beklentiyi arttırırken bilmiyorum.

personsa22
personsa22

Totally respectable but underwhelming to a fault.

Baldric
Baldric

I just bought a big bottle of this today and I'm glad I didn't read any reviews before hand that could have negatively influenced my perceptions. I can see why people are disappointed by this release, for me I had no expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

I am always on the lookout for a good work scent, since I spend WAY too much time working. The cold weather makes me particularly flummoxed regarding what to wear as most of my favorites are way too heavy. I have tried to get away with my beloved coco and#19 edp and felt quite uncomfortable. Coco noir is just right. It has enough warmth to make it seasonally appropriate and it won't knock you over with its power. I guess i do like fruity patchouli after all. It lasts all day but has faded enough by the evening that I can come home and spray one of my heavy hitters to enjoy without offending my coworkers. Clearly this is a poorly named perfume, and not what one expects from Chanel, but I love it nonetheless and will gladly wear it for daytime/casual use.

takeasniff

I have often read reviews on here about Chanel perfumes and cannot get my head around the people complaining that this is too weak and not really a night fragrance etc. I have to say to be honest I don't find any of the chanel pefumes particularly strong even Coco to me is just a mild sweet amber smell it certainly isn't spicey or heavy. The other perfumes just resemble shower products or body powders they don't scream strong women with strong confident personality or women about to hit the town at night so I can't understand why people complain about this new perfume to me it resembles the others from this house and it is lady like as all chanel perfumes are but it is different enough for the few of us who do like the way it smells. As for all the complaints about the bottle it is the same as all the previous ones it is just black! What is cheap or boring about it and to say as some have that Chanel has gone down hill is a little drastic and dramatic I think you are holding the company back and not allowing them to move on into the future. They want to try new things if you don't like this perfume's direction then stick to the ones you do like but to complain that it is cheap and poor quality etc is just exaggerating. I support Chanel and would like to see where they go in the future I still appreciate the old perfumes as they are with different ingredients but this new one is not that bad. Geez!!

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

Boring, unoriginal, and disappointing. The bottle is REALLY cheap, and this fragrance is a blemish on the entire Chanel line.

chain

I just created my own coco Chanel noir and it smells amazing,add 10ml of coco mademoiselle edp,to 6ml of coco chanel edt and 4ml of allure sensualle=coco noir.If you doubt me you all can try it atleast ,it last longer and smells better than the coco chanel noir l tested.

lalludo
lalludo

I waited a few days before deciding what to say about this.
that's because it is one of those scents that evolves on my skin. it is quite persistant and incisive, but after a while it turns much softer, surely a bit powdery. I really like it. I feel really comfortable with its sillage around me, which doesn't insult anyone by the way.
I never had coco mad, so I cannot say how much they resemble each other, but you know what? I don't care.

busik
busik

Guess the classic Chance, and the bases are similar, but mixed with Shalimar, with its powdery. Very interesting, sort of 2 in 1, such as in the Chanel, but not a chance and not in Shalimar, but audible. Lovers of classic will love.

dasparfum

gercekten cok iyi bir koku. ama işte özellik eksik..

missu1111
missu1111

Here's my husband's assessment of Coco Noir on me:
"you smell like an old lady's soap".

Needless to say I won't be using it again. It's a decadent scent and not in a good way. After 4 hrs it started smelling rather good, but I don't want to smell like a mess for 3 hrs before the scent kicks in! Don't buy this if you haven't tried it thoroughly.

Edit. I just noticed that a few days after I sprayed Coco Noir, the jacket I had on that day had started to stink horribly in the areas where I sprayed it. So, all in all, my experience with Coco Noir was pretty unpleasant.

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

MMMM sexy sexy! Honey you need to try it on your skin don't go by whatever's on that little strip of paper, when they say skin does trick, skin does the trick with this one. The comparison b/t this && Coco Mad....yeah maybe a little but I'm pretty sure I could decipher the difference b/t the two, it hints @ Coco Mad. but still has a difference of it's own. Coco Mad is Classy && Sophisticated, This is all the above but with a touch of sexxi which is what makes it 'Noir' to me, No indeed it is not that super deep totally different scent that most were expecting, but it's still a rather intriguing scent perfect for a 'night' on the town or even a day in the office b/c it's not overwhelming, but still has a lil punch behind it either way it will get you noticed && it has excellent longevity && fantastic sillage && is perfect for those cool fall && cold winter days.

Anyone stumped on what to scent to get for their mum or honey, if they're lover's of coco mad. or coco it's deff. worth looking into this. Also might I add it kinda hint's slightly to the masc. side. The prominent patchouli && sandalwood help masc it up a lil. && if you're one to wear whatever you like && enjoy patchouli then try this out. I being a guy am loving how well it's mixing with body chem. that && the little sexxi black bottle makes me want it now! :) Does anyone have a bottle they don't want check my swaps list I have some niche for swaps.

Overall: 10/10 love it!

When I first heard of Coco Noir, I had every hope that it would be as captivating as Chanel's Coco. I was imagining a heavy oriental, with rich, smoky patchouli, syrupy vanilla, oily red rose and tasty spice. I wanted its sillage to match its famous predecessor, but unfortunately I find Coco Noir to have more in common with Coco Mademoiselle than the original, thick, spice-laden Coco.

I must be honest and say that I'm sorely disappointed. Coco Noir is far too polite for my tastes. Chanel is trying too hard to appeal to the mass market. They're grabbing hold of all Coco Mademoiselle devotees and conning them into buying this 'night version', packaged in a chic black bottle with more patchouli and vanilla thrown into the mix.

Coco Noir is tame. In fact, forget the mysterious term 'Noir' altogether. I would personally wear this scent casually on a weekend, to the office, or to the bar for a few sneaky drinks. However, if the occasion were to be a romantic one, or the event I was attending required a hint of sophistication, Chanel Coco EDP would be my poison of choice, not this flanker.

Despite this fragrance's oriental and woodsy tendencies, there's something really 'fresh' about it. The freshness that I'm referring to is the same kind of quality I find in Coco Mademoiselle EDP. I suppose it's what makes Coco Noir so appealing to the everyday consumer, but it is also what makes this composition so insipid and weak.

The drydown was surprisingly musky and soapy on my skin. Coco Noir strikes me as something a shy yet elegant woman would choose to wear. I don't know about you, but I'm flamboyant and I like to stand out. Obviously Coco Noir and I were never perfectly matched.

The longevity is good, as with most Chanels, however the sillage may be a lot lighter than you initially expect it to be. It wears fairly close to the skin.

NaQueen
NaQueen

I was really excited about this perfume but it turned too soapy and powdery on my skin, there is nothing special about it's mix :(

auroramaria

Athena your review cracked me up and it's just so spot on!!!

s_athena

Sad sad sad - this is like hearing about the reunion of your favorite band to record a new album, only to have them come out with a remixed Greatest Hits record. My friends, Coco Noir is Chanel's Greatest Hits album, with the hits of the past 30 years all remixed into an insipid midi-player synthesizer melody. This is the olfactory equivalent of easily digestible, commercialized synthetic soundbytes, mixed into a 30-second ringtone. This is an all-too-brief and confused medley of Coco, Allure, Chance, Allure Sensuelle and Coco Mademoiselle, which lasts at most about two hours after spraying. Is this a joke? Are Chanel's corporate honchos laughing at our expense, watching us buy the diluted and repackaged dregs from the vats of every other recent Chanel perfume, mixed together and decanted into what looks and feels like it should be a Chinese-counterfeit bottle? There is nothing "Noir" here. There is nothing original here. This is counterfeit Chanel being sold by Chanel itself! This is hamburger being sold as tenderloin to the newbies uninterested in or conscious of what real Chanel is - or was. Dior may have a longer history of pissing off loyal fragrance devotees with its reformulations, renaming and flanker-proliferation antics, but with Coco Noir, it looks like Chanel caught the same corporatist cancer that Dior did. It's just at Stage 1 instead of Dior's end-stage corporate lymphoma. Hopefully Chanel's tumor of a fragrance (Coco Noir) responds to chemo...

UPDATE: Sucked it up and tried it on my skin today. The sillage is big at first spray - once on the chest (while in the restroom at the office) is enough to give you a cloud of Coco Noir - rose and bergamot at beginning, segueing into sandalwood, patchouli, vanilla and barely a hint of tonka. After two hours though all that's left is a skin scent with ambery traces. It's a good rendition of the classics I'll admit - it has the Chanel DNA in there somewhere, like a half-sister. The poor longevity and utter lack of originality is not worthy of Chanel though, and definitely not worthy of the marketing blitz they've put out. How much do you think they had to pay the magazines like Allure and Cosmo to include it in their "Year's Best" lists?

Journey
Journey

He and I at work at the edge of the continent - "I smell something good".
Me - (lunch time) "I smell your Chinese food."
Him - "No, I smell something Really Good."
Me, admitting smell much better than cheap lunchtime Chinese food, "Must be the Chanel Noir."
Note: We are in no way romantically involved. Cnanel Noir sillage is low but detectable so good for the office and with a few more sprays, most likely good for a romantic date.

dkny27
dkny27

Yes, this is very compatible to Mademoiselle and yes there is an abundance of patchouli BUT there is a deeper, woodier drydown on me. It's a deeper level, a nice surprise really, almost like a cedary blend, not sure where that is coming from but I get more depth from this.... Evenings on cold winter weekends, cashmere sweater and an and cozy fire... Coco Noir, to me.

Safia10
Safia10

I'm very surprised by the negative reviews. I have never liked Mademoiselle due to it's harsh patchouli overload. However I really like this despite the patchouli. There is a lovely warmth to this fragrance that stops it being overwhelming. It settles into a soft scent with a lot of depth and a hint of spice. I'm very happy with it.

temo
temo

Love the bottle. The fragrance, however was not appealing to me at all. I went to Holt Renfrew thinking I might buy it, but ended up walking over to the Chanel Boutique and purchasing Cuir de Russie instead.

toomuchfluff
toomuchfluff

LADIES, IT COULD BE WORSE... THE BOTTLE IS SUPER DOOPER STYLISH THOUGH

Budaqueen
Budaqueen

I read the not so good reviews on this page and was curious to see (or rather smell) for myself this new Coco. I own both Coco and CM, and adore them both. A new Coco, in such a beautiful bottle, could only be a dream come true! Well, I too was disappointed. A not so harmonious blend of both versions of Coco is waht I smell, and a heavy but non-descript drydown. The tonka beans are too overpowering, and after wearing many fragrances containing this note (in particular Samsara by Guerlain) I no longer like this sickly note.
I kept the blotter in my purse in the hope of smelling it after a while, and like for both his sisters Coco and CM, realize its true beauty... but nothing. This very much remonds me of Jasmin Noir by Bulgari. I had eagerly awaited the launch of that fragrance. The bottle was beautiful, and the notes in the perfume combined all my favourite scents. When I finally smelled it: disappointment. No noticable jasmine note, just heavy but non-descript fragrance, with a heavy note of tonka beans in the drydown...
This is not terrible or awful, it can even be described as pleasant... but it lacks the classiness, the Chanel touch. I am guessing that this will not become the new icon that both Coco and CM became in their own time.

Nirsara
Nirsara

My sister had the chance to attend an early launch of Coco Noir and smell the fragrance months before it came into production. She knows I'm a big fan of Chanel and that I'm a nutter for Coco. She warned me that Coco Noir would not be what I would be expecting. She explained that the representatives of Chanel had introduced Coco Noir as a entry fragrance to new buyers of Chanel.
When I finally held the (enormously classy and mysterious) bottle in my hand I was expecting something between Chance EDT and Coco Mademoiselle.
Fortunately, to me, Coco Noir is more Coco than the (IMO) boring/bored Mademoiselle. Coco Noir is not noir to me, but I see a classic in it. While Coco is very suitable for evenings/nights, Coco Noir is perfect for the daytime.
I wore it today for the first time (wanted to wait for a cold day) and I received a lot of (unexpected) compliments. Love it.

estrellita
estrellita

OMG, what did they do to the famous house of Chanel???!!! This is no doubts the biggest disappointment of 2012 :-( I've always considered Chanel as a king of classic perfumes, and if this was an attempt to modernism, it completely failed. Inviting black ´noir´ flacon gives the impression of heavier scent for nights out, however in reality contains an uninteresting and forgettable, very common scent. The smell of fragrance is neither original nor attractive, odd mix of Coco Mademoiselle and common cheap fumes. Sillage and longevity are miserable. If someone would told me it's a scent of a drugstore, I'll believe it.

rottannie

I find this most enjoyable layered over top of coco. It is actually a very pretty scent.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

I have many fragrances on my long wish list, and with my birthday coming up, I had narrowed it to a short list that included Coco Noir. i was dismayed by the number of reviews, and their negativity. I had sniffed it in magazine scented strips, then bought a sample, then "visited" her in the store. I expected to be put off by the grapefruit; instead I loved it, a very juicy pink grapefruit, not sour, mixed with a bright, greenish bergamot. An exceptional patchouli, and a damask rose.

To me, more similar to Coco, than Coco M, but much softer than Coco, not as youthful as Coco M. A well integrated, rounded jasmine and rose heart, and I love the drydown, earthy, sexy, close to the skin. So that was it, I dragged my spouse in to the fragrance counter, and left with my birthday bottle. And I went for the big bottle! Yeah! Happy Birthday to me!

belle.le.disko
belle.le.disko

I have been saddened and traumatized ever since my once favorite fragrance, Coco Mademoiselle, rejected me in my late 20’s. The scent went from heavenly in my early- to mid- 20s to overly citrus and a little sour when on my skin, and I—with great sadness-- had to discontinue its use and begin hunting for a new favorite.

I wouldn’t declare that Coco Noir is my new favorite scent, though I do LOVE this perfume—especially on my adult-Ph skin. The perfume is warm and a little spicy, inviting yet mysterious, masculine yet definitely feminine. The notes blend perfectly together, and this perfume lasts around 7 hours. The sillage is about elbow’s length, which is perfect.
The initial scent of this beauty is a mildly sweet and creamy floral heavy on jasmine.

After the die-down, Coco Noir took on a woodsy, spicier, orange-ier, more masculine quality. The first 5 or so minutes I smelled mandarin oranges, orange blossom, jasmine, sandalwood with a hint of spice—maybe cloves?

After about 12minutes the perfume settled and remained for the next several hours in this gorgeous blend:
orange blossom
grapefruit (the juiciest and least sour in all existence)
jasmine
vanilla (very light and unsweet)
incense
sandalwood

No scent was overpowering. Every note mingled superbly with the others, leaving one of the most masculine Chanel scents I’ve ever encountered. This is wonderful for cold weather—just smelling it warms you.

Annica
Annica

It has the woody feel from CM in the heart and the sweetness from Coco in the drydown. Miss Dior Cherie tried to enter but was thrown out. ;)

It seems that they have picked the best bits of two masterpieces but the result is not a new masterpiece.Nevertheless, it is a very pleasant, if not a particularly original fragrance, which is well worth a purchase in my opinion.
I really like it.

Update + 6 h: I am a bit confused. It has grown, sweeter, more powder has stepped in, but not too much.... Lovely blend... Classy, really classy. Maybe I love it?

SavanaR
SavanaR

I was looking forward to the release of the perfume and was excited when I finally had the chance to try it. At first I was disappointed, the scent did not agree with me, I gave it some time to settle. Still not a scent that agreed with me, I thought maybe my chemistry not right that day.

About 10 days later I tried it again but the same results, even after 30 minutes I did not like it at all.

I adore Coco Mademoiselle, I dislike Black Orchid to the point I have to wash it off as it starts to give me a headache.

Sorry Chanel, I would have dearly loved to have loved Coco Noir but I will stick with my favorites and you can be assured that Coco Mademoiselle since it was released is one of those.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

I've tested this many times. For me, the first hour is the most enjoyable part of the journey. Flowers and patchouli tempered with bergamot reminds me of a softer Coco which I own and love. Unlike original Coco, Noir stays whisper-soft. After the first hour, Coco Noir turns unpleasantly sharp on me. It seems to want to assert itself like a bully whereas original Coco is like an elegantly dressed lady whom you can't help but notice. Coco Noir faded after three hours (nose pressing wrist or I could have become anosmic). I may have expected too much from Chanel. I'll stick with my original Coco in all its 80s glory.

Sillage: 1foot
Longevity: 2 hours

Raquel73

I´m not a fan of Chanel parfums, only I have Chance, but this afternoon I have tried this.Coco noir is very soft, the first I can to smell rose, but in 30 min.it dissapear, for one moment I can to smell Chance but only one instant,more later it is sooo sweet and elegant but so soft.I cannot to smell any oriental notes for now, perhaps more later.The parfum is in my hand only 1 hour.I´m not sure if the sillage is big or moderate, I think that is very soft.
Update:Well, finally I think that I wil not buy it!! It is soo soft for me that I cannot to snif nothing interesting for its cost,I´m sorry :-(

Update again: Today I try it for last time.Longevity 2 hour max. Bad for Chanel :-(

chirobi
chirobi

There is an undercurrent that is remniscent of Coco Mademoiselle, but much smoother, and less spritely. It's different enough in my book.

I almost bought when I first tried it, cause I loved it so much, but fortunately I was wise and held back. I don't know what it is with Chanel's Coco line on my skin, but the dry down was simply putrid, just as Coco Mademoiselle was before. I have no issues with the Chances for example. Do try and wait for the dry down before purchasing.

susset

To me it smells a lot like Guerlain Shalimar Initial and it also have some notes from coco . All in all a very pleasent scent

kl99
kl99

COCO NOIR: The Heart Of The 80s.

I can just appreciate, or even be happy, for this fragrance, because I love the opulents, heavy loads perfumes of the 80s.

And now thanks to Polge it seems to be in front of one of those forgotten treasures of that epoque, those you read also here between the tears of nostalgics costumers writing regrets like: "it's a shame they discontinued this 'pearl' of those years"; "they should definitely bring back this masterpiece on the market..".
well, presently seems like when happen that someone finds a posthumous work of a painter or a musician, in this case a scent "..and, by chance a nun has found into a coffer an ancient formula of a perfume dating back to the mid 80's!" something like that.
No, really, you could never swear it was made in 2012.
It reminds me Genny, Fendi (the first), Teatro alla Scala.. I think It's more similar to Coco than Coco Mademoiselle.

Anyway I love this fragrance, now the 80s have another treasure into their range!

Jack_Lumber
Jack_Lumber

I was not surprised to read so many negative reviews about this one.

Chanel fans, which I certainly class myself as one, are always super critical of anything that this house puts out into the marketplace.
This is because we have such high expectations for what is arguably still the most prestigious luxury brand in the world.

Also, being a flanker of a much loved classic, this latest release was destined to be scrutinised, analysed and criticised to a greater degree than if it was a completely new scent.
Coco Noir also has another hoop to jump through, one that many new
fragrances face.

And that is the biggest problem with releasing teaser campaigns, note lists, and images of the bottle in the lead up to a fragrance release, is that everybody creates a pre-conception of what they believe the fragrance will, and should smell like before they have even smelt it.

Personally, I think Coco Noir is a real success.

It works as a flanker to both Coco and CM, as throughout the long, well blended journey you are given hints of both. And I do believe that they are just hints. Those who say that it smells way to similar to CM must have made up their minds in the first 3 minutes, as the top notes are similar, and must have blocked their nose to the rest of the journey.

The sweet and sour, crisp and sharp, boozy middle notes are where this fragrance really starts to come alive for me. Intoxicatingly beautiful and extremely well blended, the heart of this fragrance changes constantly, but never in a fractured or unbalanced way. It feels luminous and breezy, fresh and wet, delicious and almost drinkable.

As the fragrance starts to dry down, a masculine, musky mix of spice and sweetness starts to emerge. Yet for a while, the crisp, almost
champagne-like heart lingers as an overlay.
For me, this part of the story is where the light of the heart starts to transcend into the dark.

Coco Noir is definitely a scent of contrasts.

I sort of get an M7 vibe from the dry-down, which definitely alludes to a more Noir sensibility, smoking jackets, drawn heavy drapes and such.

Coco Noir definitely has an obvious sense of quality, is exceptionally well blended, like all Chanel fragrances, and importantly is very wearable.

Would we really be happy if they had created Noir to be some overbearing, obnoxious yet "unique" and ultimately unwearable stench?

I think it is important to have an open mind with Coco Noir, to not let preconceptions and expectations cloud the experience, and joy of wearing this very beautiful scent.

Elbereth
Elbereth

There is no doubt that this frangrance is really nice. However it smells so similiar to Coco Mademoiselle, a fragrance which I own, love, and wear frequently in the spring. I like variety in my collection, so I doubt I would buy Coco Noir, but if someone were to give me a bottle I would certainly wear and enjoy it. Choosing between the two, I like Mademoiselle much more.

As for the name, it would have been more approprate if it were termed "Coco Mademoiselle Noir" not "Coco Noir." The original Coco is about as "noir" as you can possible get with a frangrance, so it's still to give a lighter frangrance that title.

The main differences I see in Mademoiselle and Coco Noir is that former has more prominent floral notes (hence why I like it for spring), and the latter has stronger patchouli note.

I could actually see this fragrance working nicely on a guy too.

iranperfumer
iranperfumer

احساس جدید برای کاری که می توان برابر با یک زن جذاب دو رگه نسبت به عطر قبلی خود که یک خانم شیک بود ولی استشمام این زن دلفریب دورگه با طمع لیمو ویک کوکتل از شربت های گل های وسوسه انگیز در مسیر باد لذت بخش برای شنونده و اثری که در حال و آینده ابدی است
در شب عشق با معشوق فراموش نشدنی است.

s.w.
s.w.

a nice scent... just like this. not more not less. was surprised a little bit cause was not expecting such a pops-scent from Great Chanel... :'( it's not bad scent, it's sensuell and gentle, but it is not Chanel style, it's not classy, sophisticated and chic. not at all. it's a nice and ordinary :`(

biniways

what an utter and ghastly disappointment - on spritzing this I thought there had been a mistake!!! How could someone who gave us No.5 give us THIS????? Where is the love????? This is unimaginative, flat, generic....as someone said, more of a "Coco Mademoiselle Eau Fraiche" unmemorable, really, you could repackage that and make it work for Calvin Klein...If that - I found many things by Calvin klein more interesting .... Nothing mysterious, or even faintly characteristic.... No.5 gives you a sensuous dry down with the civet, Vanilla orris and Ylang which will always defy those who call no. 5 stand-offish....so deep, so magical so noir. Agreed, coco itself is a good attempt at a sense of noir. coco noir however, is not. Fleeting, bland, clean air-freshener safety....pleasuring fearful people in frightening times....when, actually, now would be the time to be bold, make a statement, shine forth.....well, Coco Noir prefers to go under cover, blend in and be forgotten

guest_Vie Cafe

I have been thinking about this one on and off. I tried it one more time on my skin and ended up scrubbing it off after a few hours. On my skin, it is definitely a linear perfumey smell, very unpleasant to my nose and super boring as well. That is on ME though. I am not saying this is not a good perfume. I am a big fan of Coco, I own CM but hate it. It was one of the first "expensive" fragrances I bought when it came out and I knew nothing of my own tastes back then!

I used to think I was a Chanel girl. I think now I prefer to spend my time between Hermes, Prada and Dyptique. It's not because I am French that I have to love all French perfume! there, I said it.
(although the lovely Fifi Chachnil is still one of my favorite)

kikinha

Ok, this is my second and final review about this one. I was not sure if I would keep it or not. I have tried it on for a couple of days and found out to be a very modern fragrance. Perhaps too modern for Chanel classic fans. It suits my personality though - I have many women inside me and every day I am a different one, so this fragrance is perfect. It changes, smells almost like according to my mood. Anyway, I will just stop reading reviews about this because I must say, this makes you dislike the fragrance without even trying it. This is Chanel. Not a classic one, but a very modern one! Love this now!

yasmina2
yasmina2

I am not your classic Chanel fan, although I do own Allure for winter, and Chance Eau Fraiche for summer. As I don't have the MM or Coco, I am in a position to judge Coco Noir without the previous influences. I can not detect any one note, just to say it smells sweet and balanced by a warm spiceyness. I was looking for a perfume for all seasons, and after testing quite a few, I came down to Bvlgari Jasmin Noir, and coco Noir.... Yes I know they are not at all the same, and my initial preference was for the fresh sweetness of Bvlgari Noir, but as the longevity is very poor in my opinion, I must consider Coco Noir. (Just worked out that the perfumer behind Jasmin Noir is Olivier Polge the son of Jacques Polge). The longevity IMO is great, what one expects. I blind tested several other shoppers, and asked them which wrist they preferred (and I had fans for each perfume). The Bvlgari jasmin is immediately stunningly pretty, but then disappears completely after two hours; and Coco Noir seems exotic and intriguing, because I can't work her out, but she is hanging around and I am definitely warming to her. That said, I won't probably wear this perfume in middle of summer, but I think it works for a good part of the year.

Perfumedsecrets
Perfumedsecrets

I'm just going to flat out say it, this smells like Coco M., and also Bath and Body Works Black Amethyst. I'm not a huge fan of B&BW, but that was a rare and unusual scent from them that has since been discontinued. The Chanel does smell more refined and expensive, but essentially they're the same. I loved Allure Sensuelle and it smells nothing like Coco Noir, not even close.

akats

Even if I had read so many reviews about it when I stepped towards the counter, I thought that I must have a clear mind. Either I like it or not. Well, I did, but I must admit that since there is Coco clasic and Coco Mademoiselle, "noir" has nothing more to say. It is nice, but not marvelous. Yes, It is rather something like "mademoiselle" but more patcouli-woody.

po
po

I agree with the majority of the reviews here. Coco noir is... well, nothing to rave about. Doesn't really remind me of mademoiselle which is too sharp on me but not Coco either. I get mostly fairly linear short leaved faint citrucy patchouli, more masculine than feminine.
I have to admit a darker version of Coco must be very challenging. But if this is the concept then it's not succeeded at all. I almost feel sad for Jacques Polge.
After all, Chanel is notorious for the high quality bold perfumes. And Coco Noir does not belong among them. The only thing I found stunning is the -beyond chic- bottle. But that makes it even more sad...

LaLaPop75
LaLaPop75

It seems chemistry definitely plays a large role with this one. Fortunately, on me, this one is absolutely divine. The rose, tonka, vanilla, and patchouli stand out. The frankincense gives it a subtle smokiness which makes it smell like a vintage rose perfume. It is long lasting, sexy, classy, and extremely feminine. I love it and will be purchasing a bottle!!
It is its own perfume...it's not a tweaked sequal to Coco.

EstherR
EstherR

The smell is nice. not unique. lasted for several hours even Although did not left trail of smell. i don't feel anything noir in it, not Mysterious sweet dark or sexy, just nice. it's oldish perfume for my test, suits woman at age 50+

FBenoit1
FBenoit1

There is nothing Noir in Coco Noir. The original Coco is more Noir. This is more along the lines of Coco for kids. No sillage and no staying power. So happy I tested it and didn't blind buy. Boring, forgetable, and not special. Sorry, but this is a do over.

calyx93
calyx93

Flaccid and unimaginative - the original Coco is a much better "noir" scent.

krishka
krishka

Nice but lacks the "Umpf" factor that Chanel perfumes are famous for...forgetable, nothing special in my opinion..will give it a miss

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

I love the flacon. really impressed. but not impressed by the juice itself. I can hardly have any memory of the scnet after days ...

AlexandraM19
AlexandraM19

Unimpressed. Smells familiar and yet safe for something which was supposed to be a new classic. And I had high hopes.

If you want a real sexy, elegant, "noir" fragrance, I suggest Bvlgari Jasmin Noir. It's an underrated and I think often overlooked gem.

pomdgf
pomdgf

Sexy and mystery comes in a bottle. When I first sniff I have to say Wow! For my nose, its open with fresh scent of grapefruit that reminds me of Coco Mademoiselle. Sandalwood is so enchanted on me and vanilla and rose absolute melt together with my skin chemistry. This is a modern oriental fragrance. I love it .

emily7
emily7

The "noir" aspect is present allright, but in a very safe, mainstream kind of way (patchouli).
To me, this is an obvious flanker: Coco Mademoiselle + darkness done politely. True to Chanel style, smells familiar, yet very unoriginal.
I'm into more challenging stuff right now, so I'll pass.

Nenalata
Nenalata

Coco Noir is exactly what I had hoped it would be. On me, it smells like a combination of the original Coco and Coco Mademoiselle, and then it dries down to a softer version of Coco. Absolutely lovely. <3 Plus, the bottle is stunning in real life.

biniways

I have worn Narcisse Noir by Caron for the last year and absolutely adore its sultry lovely unique character. I wonder, is the Narcissus in any way noticable or significant in CN?

I didn't have the chance to try this one yet but enzyme1's description almost makes me want to get it

"once I found out that hippies are drawn to patchouli and that put me off even more" :D sounds like serious issues!

madam_dallas_multipass
madam_dallas_multipass

I really like the opening of it, but when it dries down, it reminds me of some male fragrance...

personagrata
personagrata

At first, it smells like black orchid by Tom Ford and then it smells like Gucci Rush. No creativity anymore, even for my (Beloved) Chanel...:(

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

Wow, more bad than good comments from people. I am so surprised too. Yes, there are clues of both Coco and MM drizzled in this potion, however, it is actually quite a work of art in my opinion. I could go into a lot here but ultimately this is a beautiful perfume that appears to be one thing in the beginning and changes in the dry down. What puzzles me is that I know a lot of the people reviewing are owners of one or both of the two. If you love Coco and MM, think of this as a remodeled home, if the foundation is good, some changes can really freshen and improve things. Example, I love Angel, and I also love Angel La Rose. La Rose smells a lot like Angel but with a a bright rosy note in it. It's fantastic. Coco Noir indeed is a perfume that I will proudly wear. I would say not to judge this too harshly in the first 15 minutes, you all know that rule, give this the proper respect it is due and I feel strongly some negatives here may just turn-around for the positive....at least I hope so. It is an utter beauty and the name could not be more perfect, it says it all.

trice9081
trice9081

I just smelled this on a test strip in a magazine today. To me this is a very strong, in your face kind of a fragrance. on the other hand, it is classic and elegant. I really like it, but Im not sure if I love it. I plan on buying this soon and will write another review on my thoughts for this fragrance.

rainydays
rainydays

I see many people here saying this is comparable to coco mademoiselle... I didn't really get that when I tried it (and I've been wearing coco mademoiselle for years). When I smelled this, I thought Noir was a perfect name for it. SO spicy to my nose! Very in-your-face. Not delicate and charming in the least... but that's not quite a bad thing. I got the impression that this is for a confident wearer-- much more confident in the fragrances they wear than I am.

ION
ION

The bottle is great but only until you experience the potion inside. Then, it becomes misplaced and unfortunate.
I get some noir element at the very start for a few seconds and then a very abstract potpourri of other female fragrances from the same house which lacks a proper identity and a much needed peppery oriental quality, especially in the base notes.
Uninspiring..

perfumepsych
perfumepsych

Well i just tested it today!
I do admit that i get the Coco Mademoiselle-Allure Sensuelle combo for the first 20 minutes but then it's a totally different scent.
It is long lasting sweet and powdery. I can tell it is a Chanel and in my opinion much better that the recent Chance series. I get olibanum, jasmine, rose and tonka bean. It is a very interesting perfume with an oriental touch.

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

Where is the Noir?? Send in the Noir, please.
On my skin it was a cross between Coco Mademoiselle and a celebrity fruity thing. Oh, where is the classy and elegant Chanel of yore in this bottle?

Minnija
Minnija

I have expected moore...yes I like it, but I tought that it will be different. For me that is lighter Mademoiselle version.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

A little disappointed!!! I went in search for a "noir" deep dark fragrance and this is neither deep nor dark!!! No noir here!!! Too bad!!!

PersonaNonGrata

So disappointed :-( It has such an extremely appealing and covetable flakon! - alas ...!
Glad there's still Coco Mademoiselle and CHANCE which are a whole different world (and which I LOVE)!!!
What a great Chance waisted indeed ...

PersonaNonGrata

It smells like a perfumery - not like a Perfume ...!

5354alice
5354alice

I just tried it and still have it on me....and what can I say? I was expecting so much about this fragrance...but I've to say I'm a little bit disappointed. It's classy, feminine, elegant....but nothing really expecial. I thing I wonìt buy it. It's not unforgivable.

prigipessa
prigipessa

This is a discreet, yet classic Chanel scent. I mean, this could be nothing but Chanel, it is characteristic. It is different though and doesn't remind me of some else. Maybe just a very very discreet hint of Coco. However it's more expensive than the others (50 ml for 100 Euros!) I tried it yesterday and I will definitely buy it when my No5 Eau Premiere is over. It stands out and lifts your spirits!

Lisa290872
Lisa290872

OMG! Bought this from Selfridges without testing but I'm over the moon. It is the most gorgeous perfume I have ever tried. So feminine, but sexy at the same time but not too strong. My new signature fragrance. Thank you Chanel!!!

2nd review: testing on my skin.
What's going on? Multiple-personality disorder?
On paper it was nice with only double(Coco M+Sensuelle) personality. It was funny and smelled nice.
On skin, my skin, it's terrible. I don't understand this fragrance and its scope. Jacques Polge is no less than genius, what is his scope here?
Coco Noir smells like putrid dishwater of Coco Mademoiselle ( a monster in itself) but less harsh, then a hint of Allure's plastic vanilla, then Allure Sensuelle, then some revolting fake peach rolling all over...terrible!
The overall effect is a putrid schizofrenic.
So sad about. I will re-try for sure, when I recover.

OZ
OZ

Finally got my nose around to Coco Noir, I was very excited about it up until I actually smelled it. Coco Noir is a Chanel with identity issue, it can't simply decide what it wants to be. One minute I smell Coco Mademoiselle, the next minute it turns into Coco, then about another half an hour I smell Allure then back to Coco Mademoiselle. I find that it smells more mature than I'd like so I guess I'll stick to Coco Mademoiselle despises me loving the gorgeous bottle design.

kikinha

Ok, I just grabbed a bottle of this at Macy's. They had no sample, no tester, so the lady guaranteed I could return in case I did not like. At first spray - Coco Mademoiselle - Love it! A couple seconds later - COCO. I like it. A couple minutes later a mix of both - OK. 30 minutes later - a powdery scent that I am not even sure, but something is true - 98 dollars it is just TOO MUCH for this. I rather grab a Coco Mademoiselle bottle instead! Going to try it again tomorrow and see what happens. I may return.

dgott
dgott

Chanel??? What were they thinking with this. The last blast in my face success was Coco Mademoiselle. Bought this in Germany three weeks ago before US launch. I agree "it falls flat on its face" as another reviewer puts it....but at 92Euros.."I will" like this. Fragrantica lists the notes and they are all my loves...but they don't add up to a orchestra of Wow....going into winter, it may be perfect and take on a new dynamic in the colder weather....Chanel, Chanel...I have always loved you....but

Majesty
Majesty

My first reaction when I tried this: ''Is this Chanel's counter or am I mistaken?''. Coco Noir should be called Coco Blanche,there is nothing ''noir'' in this fragrance. Patchouli and plain citrus notes. What were they trying to create,a cross between Coco and Coco Mademoiselle or a watered Eau Mademoiselle cologne?Very plain,mass production scent,no quality,no lasting power either!! If Chanel lived she would throw away all these bottles!This is not Chanel,maybe a new modern Banana Republic scent.The only thing I like is the black bottle,nice to look at it but not to own it.

hollyc
hollyc

Chanel is falling flat on its face with this one. A ghastly, heavy handed, patchouli rich, unoriginal cloying mish mash with the half life of plutonium. Hoovering the money out of our wallets (well, not mine)by packaging a cheap concoction in a lovely bottle. Thank God they are still redeeming themselves with their Exclusifs.

I tried this new Coco Noir on a paper and I like it very much! I want to test it on my skin and see how it mingles with my own chemistry. I like the Chanels in themselves but quite often not the result on my skin.
Chanel is very strong on marketing and image, like other bigs. I agree that you need to consider the jus itself.
The strange thing about Coco Noir is that it really reminds of Coco Mademoiselle which is IMHO one of the worst perfumes around in modern perfumery. I cannot stand it on my skin and not even on others. So, Coco Noir is Mademoiselle minus the nervous obnoxious vibe plus some woody/spicy. It reminds me of Allure Sensuel and even more the beautiful original Coco.
I can easily see this one as an evening scent or anyway out of workplace in my case. It has some opulence without being a solid cube of opoponax.
Ok, this is not so original if you consider where it comes from and you already know its relatives, but as a fragrance in itself is original and quite meaningful and classy!
My card is still lingering after 2 days. I want samples!

megank4
megank4

I am not familiar with Chanel Coco but love #5 and hate Mademoiselle.

Anyway, the key to trying this fragrance is to put out of your mind the words "Chanel" "Coco" and "Noir" but just try it is a new fragrance from a brand you have never heard of before.

Otherwise, you will be disappointed.

vivik

There´s something Midnight Poison-nish about it, the cool-sweet feeling, and after some time.... feels quite unisex, quite like it. I think it´s Chanel´s attempt to please non-Chanel folk, in which case they´ve succeeded I guess.

taboo2287
taboo2287

i tried this yesterday, well to be honest i am disappointed! i was hoping for a new age chanel masterpiece and the bottle is black so it's the ultimate modern day no 5 but when i sniffed my wrist there was nothing special, it's Coco Mademoiselle with a less dose of sweetness nothing new, if i wanna describe it i would say it's coco Mademoiselle in EDT formulation or a lighter version! if you are a fan of coco Mademoiselle and want something less sweet the coco noir is definitely for you! and btw all the woman are rushing to buy it so i suggest you wait a bit until all the "Noir" phenomena settles down and start wearing it, otherwise you will smell like everyone else :S

amber82
amber82

I own this perfume, and i'm loving it! It gets me compliments every time I wear it. That said, I can understand some people's disappointment. I have never been a fan of Coco, it was always too strong for my liking, as my nose grows more mature that all changes. This perfume's name suggests something dark and more opulent than the original Coco, but certainly doesn't deliver on that. I wear this perfume to work, with no fear of offending people at all.

I guess Chanel have to appeal to a wide market, my brother's wife is Asian and she adores Chanel, but she prefers the Coco Mademoiselle, the Chance eau Tendre etc and they all smell amazing on her, she is 26, she has the money and any of the classic Chanels would be way too much on her.

The bottle is to die for, albeit completely inappropriate for the perfume inside! They should have put this in a pink bottle and named it Coco Sheer or Coco Nude if they wanted to be trendy about it.

Zenith
Zenith

The opening had me wondering where I had smelt it before, and then it hit me. It is the scent that those artsy gift shops have, the ones full of dozens of different scented candles all combining to make one rich heady smell. Once that faded I mostly smell jasmine and patchouli. Not a bad scent, but I wasn't particularly impressed by this latest offering

magdapetrine

I tried on a tiny spritz about 8 hours and I can still smell it. I love this scent. Soft, feminine and makes me feel like a lady. Please remember that all scents need the right body chemistry to work well. To me this is fantastic. Maybe this will be my next favourite instead of Roberto Cavalli.

EMonika
EMonika

I like this scent, I have a feeling it was aimed at me for some reason (25 year old female market)
The first few seconds you get the patchouli and citrus note.I like Coco and mademoiselle and to me its like a catfight between the two first round *ding ding* 60%coco 40% Mademoiselle. Second round *ding ding* 60% Mademoiselle 40% coco. Apart from the similarities of the two, there is a nice lavender and balmy note i get from this and if you are a ninja don't wear this.. this projects well.. people could smell me coming.
The drydown is a sweet balmy smell mademoiselle starts to disappear and this is when this one comes into its own. I don't know what noir means to you but I don't get the noir impression but it is unmistakably feminine and chanel.

If you've never tried coco and want something abit more out of your mademoiselle i think this scent will be ideal for you. A tad spicier, a tad balmy, a tad sweet. I think after the initial market reaction has worn off people will come to like this scent. I think some of the reviews are based on the difference between our expectation and what we've got.

dnnhts.00@gmail.com
dnnhts.00@gmail.com

Nobody does a big, strong, classic scent like Chanel!
I tend to be critical of Chanels, probably due to the price and the reputation (sometimes the emperor is naked). IMO Coco Noir is a hit. Despite what the votes above say, I do not find the patchouli to be that prominent. The notes mingle sweetly, with no one note standing out over the rest when it dries down. Maybe it's all the suggestion of the black bottle and the inspiration, but it makes me think of rich black velvet. Not only is the emperor not naked, he's the best dressed at the Venetian Carnival.
That said, the first spray was medicine-y, bitter grapefruit and not the best thing I'd ever inhaled...
Update:
After this dries down for an hour or so, the sweeter base notes rule, patchouli is present but well-behaved. Until it gets onto your clothing, then it's all patchouli. Scarf-wearers be warned.

Sisgoldenhair
Sisgoldenhair

I reeeaaalllyyy wanted to love this. Coco is one of my signature scents, we have a chemistry and I have been wearing it for many years, primarily in the cooler months. I bought this untested, knowing that it takes a few hours for me to determine if a scent works well for me. And guess what? It didn't last a few hours. No staying power whatsoever. I'm not sure what it reminds me of, but it is utterly forgettable on me. What a disappointment. Oh, and the label on the bottle was crooked. What?

rhynel
rhynel

The initial scent was very pleasant; on me it smelled like plums. As the fragrance wore on, Coco started to smell like Chance, only to dry down like ammonia. Yes, I smelled like I just cleaned the bathroom. Really wanted to like this one, but I have to pass.

auroramaria

I tested this today out of a nearly empty tester and I must say that I was not expecting a lot out of this one due to negative comments, but I found myself pleasantly surprised by it.
It does remind me of CM and Coco and yet this scent is neither it has a life of its own.
I found it very classy you can tell it is a Chanel, I can still smell it now from the back of my hand I get lovely whiffs.
True, this is not groundbreaking scent but there is a creamy sandalwood base that is really nice so I guess this will probably find a few fans out there.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

I love Chanel, I truly do. At only 21, I am able to understand, appreciate, and wear classics like No. 5, No. 19, and Coco. Simultaneously, I appreciate modern classics such as Coco Mademoiselle, Allure, and Chance.

Unfortunately, Coco Noir is a failed attempted at creating another modern classic. Initially, I get a blast of (pardon my crudity) cat urine. After 10 minutes or so, I am greeted by a sweet, almost girlish (not in a positive sense) aroma. I could not discern this Chanel from other 'fruitcholi' scents that I could easily pick up at a local discount fragrance store. It was cloyingly sweet, and overly powerful.

Chanel should stick to making classic fragrances. This is a failed attempt at creating something to appeal to the younger generations (thus inclusive of scents such as Chance Eau Fraiche, and Chance Eau Tendre). For me, Chanel is a house that has always created quality scents that stand apart from the vast 'selection' of fragrance clones on the market. No matter how many new, 'appealing' scents they create for my generation, I will always reach for my bottle of No. 5. Chanel has an extremely loyal group of customers - they should work on pleasing us instead of making themselves a one stop shopping counter for the passing popular generation.

Migalex
Migalex

I find this perfume quite interesting because to me it shares features of Coco Mademoiselle and of Coco. Differently from other flankers which the only thing they share with the original is the name, this is in fact very similar to Coco Mademoiselle but with the mixture os jasmine and sandalwood reminiscent of Samsara I detect in the background of Coco and to me is the most interesting thing about this latter one. I would say it is in fact a darker version of Coco mademoiselle, a more classical and sophisticated one. It is weaker than any of those two, but I actually find it more interesting than any of them. When I wore it, I did not like it though. It does have a synthetical edge to me quite unpleasant (not for being synthetical) that I also detect in Coco, in Chance, in allure and in Allure Sensuelle. I completely fail to understand the hype about current Chanel scents.

My screen name is Sweetnspicey, and today I'm going to put on my Spicy Hat because I have three words for you: This perfume stinks.

There's nothing even remotely noir about it. If I read the label correctly, it said Coco Noir, not Coco Mademoiselle Noir. It smells a tad deeper and less spicy than Coco Mademoiselle, but it's nowhere near the darkness of Coco.

Taking out the predecessor factor, this perfume doesn't even smell good on its own. There is absolutely nothing about it that stands out as CHANEL. Nothing special, nothing to excite the palate; bland like the equally uninspired No. 19 Poudre. Who the heck is calling the shots at CHANEL these days? I tested Boyfriend by Kate Walsh recently, which smelled a lot better, of higher quality, and more expensive. How is it possible that Kate Walsh has better perfumes than CHANEL?

I don't find the bottle pretty at all. In person it looks like a hunk of plastic or maybe rubber. It doesn't have the shine I hoped it would.

Truth be told, I've never really jived with anything from CHANEL that was created after Coco Chanel died. And I wasn't even born when she died, but I have the utmost respect for the masterpieces that Coco herself approved for release. With this latest lackluster offering, I officially declare that CHANEL has fallen (hard) as my favorite house. It's been a long time coming. I can't respect it anymore, and this was the final straw.

oona noir
oona noir

On my wrist, this starts out close to Coco Mademoiselle and dries down to something close to regular Coco, but the whole thing is done in the *tone* of the classic Ernest Beaux fragrances (No 5, Bois des Iles, etc).
If Coco smells dated to you, but you like the raw materials, perhaps Coco Noir would please you. If Coco Mademoiselle is too bright or cheerful for you, perhaps Coco Noir would please you. As for me, it is too Coco and not enough Beaux for my taste. :(

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mature frag which is a little bit classy and the drydown is reminiscent of Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women, EDP, 2009..

I applied 6 heavys sprays

0 - 1 hours - 4 inch projection. This is on the one hand classy and mature, yet this heavy type of woody floral has been done a million times before. There is zero similarity IMHO to Coco Mademoiselle, instead this is more from the traditional 80's type of Chanel frags. Ages 53- 65

2 hours - 6 hours - 3 inch projection. Too much smokiness comes in - smelling the skin is foul, then some soapiness comes in, however the projected scent is better, so I recommend you spray not too close to the nose

6- 9 hours - Close to the skin and it turns into 80% the same as Opium Yves Saint Laurent for women, EDP, 2009

Not for me

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

At first spritz, I thought I had put on Coco Mademoiselle; the slightly fruity notes were more intense in Noir, but on my skin I got none of the "Coco" oriental spicyness which I expected. The name brings to mind deep, oriental designs, but the fragrance starts as a fruity-floral, then dried down to a nice, warm, indistinct musc-sandalwood base. There is no originality, no intesting notes or development. It is a well-made fragrance, but without any distinguishing features. Inofensive and uncomplicated.

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

Coco is one of my very favorite Chanels, even more than many of the exclusives...to me is already Noir with out need of any improvement. I also adore Madamoisselle....So This new Chanel is a luminous oriental, a collision of Coco Mademoiselle and Coco. Chanel did again invest quite a lot in the raw materials. They used a high concentration of essence de Rose Bulgare, which, this year, is priced at 8400 € per litre. **** I am sad to say that all of this was done in vein.... It smells like nothing original dark, black or Noir....but as though it is only filled with Madamoiselle...and a toilette at that. Is this a beautiful perfume...indeed...and would be nice to add to a collection if you must....but I think My purse will stay closed on this Duft...

ForrealMe2

The bottle is gorgeous but i have to tell you i don't like the balance of this perfume it is Coco and Coco M in one bottle..to me instead of it smelling blended it smells like two perfume bottles together yet separated if that makes sense..not blended..i was not impressed with it..i bought Coco M and returned it because its too light..more of a daytime scent or for work or younger person but Coco i like so i switched for that and i am so glad i did...i absolutely love it...if you were looking for unique in this bottle your not going to get it..like i said its two bottles in one but yet separate...but to have the bottle as a collector is the only reason i see you purchasing this...

update:so i resniffed it again at 34th st and yeah it still didn't wow me like coco it is not darker i would not call this coco noir more like coco medium or coco less or mademoiselle noir..what a dissappointmet because as others have stated noir is suppose to be a more intense version..its opposite of that and heading towards shades of grey than noir...i almost got it because of the bottle and hoping i would get better results after another sniff..i love miss dior le parfume way better than this and this is chanel...i'm staying more with the classics in this line...everything after coco outside of chanel chance fraiche because that is so fresh and maybe i will get that something..anything outside of that is just too light..i like pizazz and class...something that says...Now that is a woman!

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

I tried and for me this is not a bottle I'll be buying. I have coco Mad, which I love, I also love Coco, which I don't have but I put off buying to see what this would smell like.

This is a single spray on skin, they didn't have any take home samples (well they're all over ebay no wonder!!) so I was only able to spray and get my impressions this way.

On me it does start off interesting,and I can smell Coco in the beginning, and personally I think that the top notes burn off way too quick. I would have liked it to stay more like Coco tbh, but after an hour, BAM, its like incense and all coco Mad until its not detectable on my skin.

Lasting power, when compared to how long Coco Mad lasts on my skin, is dismal. 6 hours tops and its nearly nothing but air. I think for most people that would be fine, but from what I know about quality with Chanel? Thats terrible. Coco Mad is around the next day on my skin and even through a shower and thats edp version.

In its defense its well constructed, and, I do adore how nice the bottle is (as will many) and I think it will sell quite well. Me, I'll just buy a bottle of Coco and call it a day. I don't need or want another perfume that smells like Coco Mad.

So I am quite disappointed by this juice because I really did expect more.

xrayer
xrayer

I received my sample of Coco Noir today and am pleasantly surprised. At first spray I thought oh this is just like Coco (which I have previously found too strong and heavy for me) but very quickly it quietens down to a somewhat softer, slightly sweeter scent than Coco. It does share similarities with both Coco and Coco Mademoiselle but I think it is much more wearable fragrance (for me anyway) and I think I will be searching for a full size of this as soon as it's available in New Zealand.

blueviolet
blueviolet

Tried it today. First sniff is very Chanel and remain so for about an hour. Then im talking Coco mademoiselle more than Coco. I should mention im not a huge CM fan anymore. It use to smell devine on me when I was younger but now not so much. I detect very little no5 but just a hint. It still smells Chanel like after a few hours BUT dries down to something new. Something I havent sniffed from Chanel before, which unfortenatly is the only new thing about Noir. The rest we have seen from the house before, but with a tiny twist. Why they chose Noir I admit I dont understand...its not noir or very intense. But hey some might like that? So dont let the name misslead you. Its not very heavy. Still classy tho.

Prettynightmary
Prettynightmary

I don`t know Chanel perfumes but I`m getting a vibe here that I think is "very Chanel".
At first it`s not dark at all, but it gets darker in the way. I`ve to agree with the most voted notes here: patchouli, sandalwood, rose and jasmine. Warm, sweet and lightly spicy. This could be an oriental floral, if you`d ask me. The dry down remainds me of Yves Rocher`s Yria.

takeasniff

I don't know what all you lovlies are on about!:) I love this. I feel as though I get 2 perfumes in 1 it is a lot of fun. For once Chanel have had a little fun like they have let their hair down. This house always comes across as very stern and proper so I was pleased to smell this. I have No.5 and Coco edp and No.19 I used to have Madmoiselle but I haven't purchased that in a long time. I love Allure too. I tested this for ages and I could smell a mixture of all of their main best sellers in 1 and I don't think they have failed at all.

Maybe you need to keep trying it because I know with their perfumes they are 1 way. Coco is very amberish sweet and spicey but Madmoiselle is fresh and musky with a hint of wood etc this one however is not as safe in my opinion. It settles really nicely I could detect a masculine shaving creme touch in parts. I really want to get this but I will have to wait.

I say keep trying it might show it's beauty to you I know it took a couple of tries for me I normally love Chanel instantly but this one was difficult to work out it kept me sniffing which I always appreciate in a perfume.

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

Oh, what a fragrance... Jacques Polge describes it well: "The night vision of the ‘Orient that starts and ends in Venice’ ".
Expectations of "hit you in the head Noir fragrance" must come from cultural differences US/Europe...?
What I see noir (elegant/sensual/comforting/night time perfume that can be worn every day )- is that overly decorated decadent living room with dark burgundy wallpaper, golden ornaments, soft materials on couch and pillows, fluffy decorations, "gourmande" whiff of Coco Noir coming from my body, for hours after being applied. It is so subtly elegant, but constantly present and surprizes me with its strength and warmth, when I don't expect it, when I forget about it.
Sure... If I deliberately want to be aware of it, I will go and sniff my wrist... fun thing to do... however, the treasure and pleasure of this fragrance is in those surprising moments when the warmth of my body warms the fragrance and all of a sudden I am aware of my sensuality, or is it the sensuality of Coco Noir...?
It does remind me of Coco... only in its first citrusy opening. The rest of is very gourmand, almost improvement of Chanel 5. I always adored some layers of Chanel 5 and detested others... If anything, I would call this an update of Chanel 5. Or... I would have given it its own name, so the expectation of evoking Coco or Coco mademoiselle does not diminish its own grandeur. Enjoy it! :) I am definitely going to buy a bottle, after enjoying the tester spray for two days now...

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

If Coco EDP is a "femme fatale" from the 80's, and Coco Mademoiselle is a "rich bitch" of the 2000's, Coco Noir is an ageless coquette: she is elegant, pleasant and flirty.

Coco Noir smells a little bit like original Coco, a little bit of Coco Mademoiselle, a tiny bit like Allure Sensuelle; at the same time, it smells like neither of the three.

It smells like chypre, with more woods and citrus notes. It's not a unique composition, it smells familiar and may remind you of several other perfumes, but there's no specific perfume out there that smells exactly like it. Coco Noir definitely retains the signature Chanel quality, but appears more versatile than its predecessors. For someone who is looking to buy their first Chanel, this might be a good choice.

Marangoni
Marangoni

I so expected to dislike it, I went to the shop with a heavy feeling of "civic duty", just to see what it was like. But - I loved it! Why wouldn't I? On my skin, it's good old Coco! After the initial rather unsettling citrusy blast, during which I struggled to keep a polite expression on my face, they know me well in that shop, the perfume settles in the very comforting and familiar zone of the classic Coco. But it would be a very washed out version of it, the most diluted one you could imagine. May be like Coco soap, or may be, as if you sprayed Coco EDP and then took a long shower. Weaker than tea, offensive longevity, non existent sillage. I'm trying hard to imagine who would buy this, who would be Chanel's target here. I hear the price is optimistic, so my guess is that this will be pulled from the market very quickly. As for me, I'm already dusting off my Coco Chanel EDP bottle. I definitely appreciate it more now, it was good to have that kind of contrast.

SAKE
SAKE

Non, non, non!
Great desapointing...
Quand j'ai vu la bouteille noir, tres racee, opulent et rich j'atendais une essence tres envoutant, tenebree, pleine du mistere+feminite agressive. Mais je recu un parfum tres "Mademoiselle", avec une sillage timide et ... c'est TOUT.
Essence - 3/5
Longevite - 2/5
Desollee

suhaesa
suhaesa

i don't know why they didn't call it allure noire, or mademoiselle noire.. or allure sensual noire..honestly i was disappointed ..i am a Chanel perfume lover.. especially coco Chanel, its one of my top 10 fragrances..even the edp coco is more noire that this ..i feel there is nothing noire about it, its a day perfume ..i expected some thing out of this world so deep so mysterious ..it has an almost synthetic, commercial ,drug store, cheaper perfumes to it..i hate to write this but its my honest opinion..
its a nice perfume for many ..it would have been nice if it wasn't for the expectations of noire,or coco, they should have just named it something else..!
its fine,a wanna be classy ..fragrance! made for the new generation..it dries down sweeter.. i cant agree that its grapefruit from top to bottom..there are new studies that show that women who wore grapefruit scents looked 10 years younger to men. and that it helps in weight loss and general well being..maybe that's why it was used.. also its refreshing..but i can smell the tanoka beans ..its a subtle almost translucent scent ..this is all my initial impression ..as its drying down.. its getting better.. some how changing as if its a different perfume..
i love the bottle i think its just nice to add to my collection ..its a classy timeless treasure...just wish whats inside reflected the iconic exterior..

rating 4.3 out of 5

Alliage
Alliage

I have always respected Chanel perfumes, with Cristalle a staple favourite. I was ultra excited upon hearing about the launch of this perfume as I've loved Coco.
I blind bought it as the Chanel rep had left and was served by the Lancome rep who couldn't find the tester.

I opened the package excitedly, and whilst I love the bottle, the scent is not what I expected at all. Allure Sensuelle MKII were my first thoughts. I've had it on for two hours and all I'm getting is a fusion of Allure Sensuelle and Mademoiselle. The sillage isn't strong either.

I had different expectations of the scent and am somewhat dismayed but will proudly display the bottle.

tinaelisa
tinaelisa

I'm normally not a fan of Chanel fragrances. I always think they smell way to strong and 80's. Yes, even a bit grandma.. (I don't want to offend anyone). I do own Chance Tendre, but to me it doesn't even feel like a Chanel fragrance.. It doesn't wrap around you or makes you feel classy. It makes you feel cute..

So on to Coco Noir. I didn't excepted something special. I thought being called Noir, it would be even more unbearable than the other Chanels (which smell nice on my mother, but not on me. (I'm 25, my mother is 43).
I do love some orientals but they have to be cozy, sweet and nice in some way. Like Armani Idole, D&G The One and Flowerbomb. Coco Noir fits perfectly in that category. It's not too strong, but not too light eighter. Its sweet but not overly so. It's more mysterious than it is sexy. It's cozy and wraps around you like a nice warm blanket. I think it can be worn in any season except maybe summer.

Also the dry down of Noir reminds me of the dry down of Flowerbomb Extreme, which is to die for!! So if you like Flowerbomb Extreme, you probably will like this one too, although Coco Noir is not near as strong as FB Extreme.

fulya.yahya.9
fulya.yahya.9

This is definately a twist of Allure Sensuelle!
It is not as dry ptachouli as Coco Mlle but more ambery rounded patchouli like Allure Sensuelle.
Dry down after few hours is much better than the first sniff.has the Chanel signature, that is the point.

meligonlan
meligonlan

Beautiful perfume if only it would last at least more than 1 hour. Very disappointed by the longevity.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

I know this is going against the trend, but I like it a lot, as previously mentioned Chanel has not reinvented the wheel or broken any parfumerie taboos with this. But it is nice. On me it starts out as Coco, spicy and rich, but the dry down is more Coco Mademoiselle. Or maybe those are what I get in the first few minutes, right now , half-an-hour later I am back to the spicy notes.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Admitted : Chanel has not re-invented perfume with Coco Noir but nevertheless to me it is a nice, warm and cuddly fragrance for the upcoming autumn.
Let´s leave the magnificent bottle design aside - the scent gave me a feeling of comfort, an oasis of elegance. Chanel in essence. Nothing experimental, not even something dark, just pure elegance for these not-so-daring perfume days.
I love the 80s Coco and always found the regular Mademoiselle Coco too pungeant to wear but it seems Coco Noir is the missing link between the two.
Appreciating the fragrance will, however, be a bit more fun if you just ignore the chic naming.
Only time will tell if Coco Noir will become a classic. Probably not but it´s a nice-to-have for the moment.

girlsworld
girlsworld

Tried and disappointed with the longevity, only lasted a couple of hours and started to fade away after an hour, such a shame. I could detect Coco Madamoiselle faintly in the background after the top notes had settled, this one doesn't seem to have the power of Coco M and is not in the same league as Coco Chanel. I am sure it will fly off the shelves, despite the price, but suspect when the hype dies down after Christmas, this one will sit quietly on the shelves - not one of the Chanel greats in my opinion

deny
deny

My expectations were toooooooo high, this smells just like tea!

mimilli
mimilli

oh boy I've waited for this one. The notes, the bottle... Everything. And today the day came. And then... This is it? You gotta be kidding me? Sure it's nice, but nothing particularly noir in it. I hadn't even been wearing anything for the past weeks so I would be as "clear-nosed" as possible. I find it soft, elegant and nice... But still, so boring. I don't even have anything to say about its notes or moods, it just is what it is - somehow plain. I might think of purchasing it for my comfort scent but it's a little high-priced for something that is only ok. Well, maybe I'll test it again to see if I start to get it better.

jellybeantree

This smells nothing like coco mad, except the strong burst of bergamot in the beginning , then it gets a strong vintage feeling to it and I smell some coco in there, then it changes again , this is horrible and Schizophrenic on my skin and it just doesn't work, it really has that old world vintage feel too it, I can't wear it. Or appreciate it for that matter. Pass. Will stick to coco mad and coco , they work on me.

sweetgirl

on my skin..the drydown...is wonderful...i get the tonka vanilla...the citrus...all the layers just melt in but fresh warm and its pretty but sexy....give this a chance on your skin...!

sweetgirl

I also like this because the coco parfume..has a sharp undertone on my skin..i cant stand...almost old fashioned like...and the coco madem. has an undertone that i cant stand..some way or the other...so this....is a nice blend of the two scents in a very nice way and for ppl like me who cant wear the other 2 too well...so this is for me...still very classy scent!

sweetgirl

the more i wear my samples of this....i like it...a lil coco here, and then comes coco madem. rt behind...then comes a pinch of chanel 5 in the drydown....this is a very nice scent...even though its not all that different...its also a lil manly mixed with femme freshness....its drydown is soft and sexy....i think i want a small bottle...:) GREAT winter scent...i see coming!

jae
jae

You know, I tested it. I liked it. I almost loved it. But guess what? Coco Mademoiselle STILL beats this one out on my skin. I would have thought that with a name like Coco Noir, this would be darker, heavier on patchouli or have a wicked incense (or oud) note added.

Still, it's a wonderful fragrance. I'm beginning to see guys who claim to never wear a women's fragrance fall in love with this - not for their wives or girlfriends. But for themselves. Any fragrance that can make a man broaden his horizons and drop that slavery to marketing labels automatically gets an 8 in my book. But I already have and enjoy Coco Mademoiselle and Coco. This is a tough sell for me...

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

Coco Noir is classic Chanel. Noir is the night version of Mademoiselle very beautiful very lovely.

cheekychee
cheekychee

Aesthetically and practically beautiful perfume. Perhaps its for older women who have ardently pursued perfume over the years and who have come to realize the importance of adding mystery and beauty to your life. This is the prettiest perfume Chanel has created - perhaps more complete and refined than the gorgeous Bois des Iles. Also more satisfying for me than Coromandel, and Chanel 5 and original Coco.

scenturian

I haven't met any other thread here at fragrantica.com which had such high amount of reviews versus time.
You know why?
Because it is CHANEL.

lara0905
lara0905

I've had high hopes for Coco Noir...then I've had chance to try it on skin and my face falled when I first spritzed it on.I could write odes about my disappointment but I feel it's unnecessary,the previous speaker parfumistas have said everything.

After a few day of full-wearing, I have mixed feelings about Coco Noir. To me it's seems to be a hybrid of Coco Mademoiselle-Allure-and Coco. These three classic Chanel scent poured in one fragrance and they are presented in the three phases of the perfume. The top is undeniable Coco Mademoiselle with its characteristic fruity-patchouli quality, but in a muted way.Just note, this was that point when I started to be a little desperated, because I hate Mdemoiselle and I've expected a REALLY NOIR scent.Fortunately the initial shimmering fruitiness turned into something familiar and friendly smell. Allure started to appear with its softness and tenderness in the heart.As the time gone, underneath these layers, Coco's special spicy soapiness percolates from the distance- leaving a luxury touch on the skin until the end of the day.Yes, Coco Noir has an intimate and elegant vibe, but it just hasn't that extravagancy, uniqness and boldness as Coco or Allure has.

Coco Noir has nothing to do with black, nor darkness, nor seduction..Unlike other memorable masterpieces,-like Coco or Allure- Coco Noir is a contemporary office or daytime scent, an easy-to-like fragrance for every day use.

No doubt, the obsidian black bottle beautiful and inviting..but I'm affraid I'll looking for my Noir perfume somewhere else...

virga
virga

Except from the beautiful black bottle and the name there is NOTHING NOIR about this fragrance.“A great nocturnal Baroque” – Chanel, who are you trying to fool? I can’t imagine anyone who after testing it would call it dark or complex, or mysterious, or deep, or heavy/ thick/oily, Baroque whatever. It’s a nice lighter and definitely lacking in expression version of Coco Mademoiselle: musk, rose and clean patchouli dominates the composition. It ought to be called COCO ROSÉ or COCO TENDER instead. Chanel is targeting on teenagers and very young (18-25) women again – nothing new: remember all those boring faceless creatures like No 19 Poudre and No 5 Eau Premiere and Christalle Eau Verte. Silage and longevity are below average – not worth your money, except if you are a rich teenage girl looking for a perfect first fragrance with an impressive name.

RoRoSe
RoRoSe

I want to know why is Chanel afraid from creating a new line ?

yes, very nice perfume .. amazing bottle .. great lasting power and sillage .. best sellers and the bottle is listed on the most of our wishlists !!

but why ?
because we love coco Madmoiselle and Allure sensual, not because they have created a new masterpiece :s

linkypinky
linkypinky

Chanel are starting to repeat themselves after the shocking (to me at least) success of Coco Medemoiselle. Pity.

parislady
parislady

Finally got my bottle of Coco Noir and love it love it. Its all I hoped it would be and more.
Soft sexy and femine and that little bit mysterious in the way its not too definite.
Coco Chanel was one of a kind and this is very like her. I adored the original Coco when it came out and wore it for years, it became a signature scent for a while.
Now this version I would not say ligher or heavier just nicely different and has a lovely staying power thats not overpowering. It has a a nice spicy/floral/musky combination but most of all its a scent thats for the women who knows who she is an wants to remembered as a soft sensual sexy lady and has a very memorable scent that lingers just enough to tantalise. A real sense of Paris and all things french, Beautiful understated and memorable. Worth buying.

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

I first smelled Coco Noir in a departmental store when it first came out. It was just love. But only just.

Coco Noir to me, is nothing about Noir or anything that may resemble darkness. There is, however the patchouli-vetiver laced dry down which you can find in Coco Mademoiselle, but Coco Noir is more about the resinous-leafy and slightly herbal dry down. It's similar to its ancestor, but it's more mossy and smoky than anything else.

Taking a more positive view of things, I decided to spray the poisonous black unction on my skin. There was a whiff of the signature Chanel aldehydes, and you find them in almost any Chanel perfume yet. The perfume immediately settles into a creamy narcissus with Chanel embroidered rose and jasmine flooding the place with their much understated luxury.

The dry down, well, is to me inadequately "Noir" and smells overall like a creamier version of the more herbal and tart smelling Coco Mademoiselle. A certain bug spray note affects this fragrance from developing sometimes.

I think I kind of liked Coco Noir. However there is nothing special about it; it is a Chanel who finds people who are unable to wear its more original relatives of Coco and Coco Mademoiselle. I will not be buying this, as it, along with its commonplace patchouli-brazen vanilla creamy dry down as well as the higher price being demanded has no opportunity for a position on the shelves of perfume of a great Chanel fragrance lover.

Trvevil
Trvevil

Hah? Wonderful, take Coco Mademoiselle and add a bit of original Coco and it will result in this. A sheer spiciness sans animalistic notes of Coco in here. From Mademoiselle there is probably all of it. I own Coco in parfum concentration and I enjoy Mademoiselle very much too. So that's why I like Noir, cheaters, in other words. But, it is a good way of introducing some people to more mature fragrances.

Dinkum
Dinkum

I had such high hopes for this one...
And with that gorgeous bottle and all.
Tried it today, at the local perfumery:

First sniff: fresh bright opening. For maybe 10 minutes or so my nose was practically glued to the wrist.

Then - hm, I might grow tired of this rather quickly...?

After 30-40 minutes; jikes, serious head ache warning. Stifling surupy dreadful vanilla/patch!

Definitely not my cup of tea. I gave it a serious try, now I´m heading for the wash basin to scrub it off.

I´ll stick to the original Coco.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

So firstly, yes, that black bottle is gorgeous. I wanted to love the juice as much as I love the bottle.
The opening smells like - and this is the best way I can think to describe it - the original Chance on steroids. All there and then some. It's bigger and there's more to it but you get the feeling that all the additions don't really belong there.
Soon the patchouli spikes and teams up with the geranium which is a bit biting to my nose. I think I can detect some narcissus in there and this is the only stage at which anything about this scent can really be described as noir. It gently slips into a more woody, incensey scent, with a touch of sweetness, like Coco and Allure Sensuelle, though without the facets of both of those scents which became off-putting for me (the civet and the top notes respectively).
If you love and have Chance or love and have Coco I don't think you'll need this one. But if any of the Chanels I've mentioned are just that bit wrong on you but you like the notes then give Coco Noir a try, it might be the one for you.

Catty
Catty

I liked very much.

Coco Chanel is wonderful, but it´s too strong for me. Coco mademoiselle is very good, but too girly.

This is exactly the middle term. It´s lighter than Coco, more urban/modern and updated. It´s like Allure, you can wear it on the evening, in the office, in a shopping afternoon.

I like to have high quality essences, which are multitask, such as my life. Noir fits itself very well to a modern woman´s life without lose the refinement, the class and all the superiority of a Chanel product.

My next purchase for the autumn.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Well, I smelt this today. After the first five minutes of OH MY GOD! THiS IS FABULOUs-it settled to a mixture between Sensuelle and Coco Mademoiselle and finally disappeared.
Pity, because this was suppoused to be a hit,but personally I will remain faithful to the original Coco.

mendosita
mendosita

This is such a dissapointment. The bottle and the name is so intriguing, whilst the perfume itself is just boring, and ticky-tacky. It is like someone spritz Coco M., add lots of water and mixed it. And voila! Coco Noir is ready.
First half an hour is almost identical to Coco M. Then it becomes very delicate frutti-floral, which lasts about 2 more hours. Then it's gone. I don't smell any resembling to Coco. It is such a sham that Chanel produced something that bad and annonymous.

scenturian

Finally tested today, as a huge Chanel fan I was longing badly.
As a summary I can say it is between Coco and Coco Mademoiselle as Aroussa mentioned below exactly.
Start is more closer to CM and through its life goes closer to Coco.
Patchouli, jasmine and rose are the most dominant notes to my nose.
There is nothing noir here but the bottle looks so luxurious.
I think Mr.Polge tried to do something more mature than CM and younger than Coco, thats why it is in between the 2. From the name it was obvious that it wouldn't be something absolutely new and different.
I honestly liked a lot and it did good on my skin as well.
Projection and longevity are good.
Quality stuff for elegant and sophisticated women.

Aroussa
Aroussa

This is EXACTLY smack in the golden middle between the original Coco and Coco Mademoiselle. If you draw an imaginary olfactory vector, Coco would be on one end - heady, edgy, and strong, and Coco Mademoiselle on the other end, warm and gentle and sweet. And Coco Noir, there in the middle. Flowery but leafy, sweet but grown-up, light but somehow still substantial.
I was yearning for something like this - I love Mademoiselle but it's too ubuquitous, and it's so me 15 years ago.... And I tried the original Coco, but it is too much of a leap ... And Coco Noir, well, it is juuuust right. Pure perfume genious.

Sincerely yours,

Goldilocks

I FINALLY own this.

I think this is a very beautiful perfume in its own right. But I cannot understand WHY OH, WHY Chanel would create a perfume so close to another one they already carry. This to me is everything coco mademoiselle should have been in the first place. I now regret ever buying mademoiselle because this is nicer, less screechy. And now I have both and they are very similar.

Come on Chanel. If you are gonna come out with a new perfume and call it COCO (!) at least live up to the name and blow our minds away. You could easily have done that. So why did you not? WHHYYYY!!! (haha sorry)

Oh, and this has nothing "noir" about it except the bottle, which is totally gorgeous btw.

I still love Coco the original a dozen times better but this is lovely too. It's that just I don't understand why it's not more smokey or ambery or even spicier. More mystery!! I'm sad:(

update: this perfume does not remind me of Coco in any way. It is quite different to my nose. Floral woody musk and oriental spicy are years apart in my book!

ChickyC
ChickyC

I've only had this 24hrs so need a few more days with it yet but I agree completely with LadyRogues excellent review of the notes so can't add anything further to that. The tonka/sandalwood combination comes through quite quickly on my skin and is just lovely! And it's far better in cooler weather - on a rare hot day here in the UK it didn't work too well but tonight it's shining beautifully.

I've been trying to decide whether it reminds me of Coco, Allure Sensuelle, Mademoiselle etc. I think I get a bit of all mentioned in a subtle way - but my husband said tonight it reminds him of our honeymoon. My husband bought me Coco original on the way to our honeymoon destination and I wore it throughout - so go figure! Maybe an updated more modern interpretation of Coco with a bit of Allure/Mademoiselle thrown in? Whatever - it's lovely and I think shouldn't be compared. I wouldn't class it as elegant but soft, and very very feminine.

Another thing I've noticed is that other Chanels appear to be so well blended I can't smell the individual notes. With Coco Noir I clearly smell the notes, and when I think they've gone, something will peep through again which makes it so much more interesting.

I also agree it's not really "NOIR". I think it's very versatile and could easily be a signature scent. In fact it may well knock Allure Sensuelle off my top spot only because of its versatility. Sillage and longevity are what you expect from Chanel!

My initial like is quickly turning to a love:)

jessbuggy
jessbuggy

Just got a bottle of this today. It smells nice.. But I can't smell the bergamot at all.

The staying power is undoubtedly powerful.
I am also hesitant to purchase this because it is Chanel and is bound to be too popular of a fragrance for everyday use.

almarie
almarie

I so wanted to love this. But after wearing it and smelling it for a day, I came to the conclusion that this smells rather old ladyish and so much like the original Coco.

b.orlicka@yahoo.com
b.orlicka@yahoo.com

Very very classy , not loud.
Absolutely not similar to Coco Mademoiselle!

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

The Boyfriend came back from a business trip and brought me (besides himself) the perfect gift! Coco Noir! Oh, how I have longed to hold and sniff this gem!

On me the opening is fresh, I can detect the citrus notes combined with bergamot. The middle stage follows quickly and gives me a delicious note mix of: rose, jasmine, narcissus and a hint of geranium. (geranium is a no-no note for many people, yet in CN it's well blended so don't fear!) Hmmmm
The base is the oriental heart of the scent and gives me patchouli, tonkabean, sandalwood and a finishing touch of soft musk.

It is to my nose a mix of Coco & Coco Mademoiselle. It's fresh without being too crisp. It's herbal without being too heavy. It's a *hybrid Chanel* and very sensual on my skin. I think the best way to approach this fragrance is to NOT compare it to the other Chanel scents, but to let it unfold and show you its own character on your skin. It's -without a doubt- a Chanel. And it's perfect for people who like CM but would like a version of CM with an oriental twist. Or, for fans of Coco that would like to have a version with a 'fresher' edge.

I like it and think it a nice addition to my Chanel collection. It's classy, sexy and gives me whiffs of two of my favourite perfumes, and a THIRD perfume when those two meet. I am glad that The Boyfriend bought it for me because I DO think it's a bit overpriced when compared to the other Chanels. I think the house of Chanel might have made a mistake in judging our willingness to be charged so much for something that -although- pretty is a known scent experience, as supposed to something ground-breaking new! But, I guess the "Die Hard Fans" will pay up.

Silage is: "a real Chanel is on my skin, perhaps I even layered two of them?" -- Longevity is: "a warm and fresh aura that last long -8+ hours- but becomes on me a close to the skin scent as the hours pass.

The bottle needs no endorsements, it is really as gorgeous as in the photos.

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

At first smell I am rather disappointed. I am not getting much of anything. On card it's a little patchouli and a little rose that after a couple of hours has gone slightly sour. On skin I get no sillage and very little presence, just a faint musky floral note. It's as if I had applied some Coco Mademoiselle yesterday and had a shower this morning - this is what would be left. I am sad because had hoped for so much more. It would take something much richer and deeper to evoke a might in Venice for me.
But, as others have said, maybe it's not a warm weather performer.Today is very hot and to be fair to it I will be trying it again when it's cooler.

cedriceccentric

The first whiff is that of patchouli. The kind of patchouli as in Coromandel and Prada Amber. Then the fragrance seams to go in all kind of directions: first the floral heart of Coco Original as well as some of it's spice. A minute later a fruity note starts developing. Almost prune-like, reminding me of modern fruitchouli concoctions like Euphoria. It furthers sweetens and this time it's indeed Coco Mademoiselle that appears to the foreground, both it's girly fruity notes as its masculine woody base. I also get sort of a "praline" thing going on in the base. Thank god for the musk that softens the whole thing. After 15min things start at last to settle. The drydown further developes and is even going border line chypre/oriental as in 31 Rue Cambon, not that much on the skin but rather in the sillage.

Compaired to most of the crap that was already released for this upcoming fall 2012 season, Coco Noir is a masterpiece, but it's a story that was told us before. Frankly, can't Jacques Polge come up with a new main accord? Since the success of Coco Mademoiselle he hasn't stopped serving us variations on this same theme (Hello, Chance, Allure Sensuelle and 31 Rue Cambon). It's all very well if you are a CM fan, but for me it's time for something else. Anyway I'm sure I'll get a bottle of Coco Noir at some point. I might wait for a pure perfume extract to appear though.

Just like Mademoiselle, Coco Noir is very long-lasting and has a powerfull sillage. It's loud.

beddy
beddy

mis aujourd'hui sur moi et j'adore, long sillage et il est sublime. effectivement il ressemble un peu au mademoiselle, mais je trouve coco noir plus femme et plus classe. il n'y a pas l'orange du mademoiselle ni l'abricot et le jasmin est plus présent ainsi que la fève tonka. mon prochain achat ;)

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Just tried it today ar the mall. The first impression is that i've smelled thi one before bur could not place it immediately. I smells very similar to allure sensuelle, so if you have jr you dont need this one. I dont find it similar to coco mademoiselle at all.

Timetoski
Timetoski

love the bottle and the name, however a more appropriate name would have been COCO MADEMOISELLE NOIR, or COCO EAU FRAICHE (as some others have stated). I'm a COCO lover and a Mademoiselle disliker, so I find this fragrance much nicer than Mademoiselle, but not as sweet/spicy as COCO. I found it slightly headache-inducing, and when I arrived home, my husband said it was causing him to cough. To quote a blog reviewer, "the only thing "noir" about this is the bottle".

witch_mum
witch_mum

I've tried it today and smelled almost nothing.....hopefully I'll be able to write a better review when the weather will be colder than today (35°C).

flora lee
flora lee

I'll be glad to be smelling this in the air over coco mademoiselle: it's basically a vast improvement on that same scent. Nicer patchouli and jasmine, but I don't know if it deserved that amazing noir bottle and new scent launch.

citadel
citadel

An SA spritzed this on a card for me at Nordstrom yesterday. As others have pointed out, there is nothing "noir" about it--it's clean, bright, and feminine, but is not a showstopper nor particularly distinct. Would I accept it as a gift? Happily. Will I pay for a full bottle? Perhaps, but only if I suddenly received a huge bonus and had nothing else important to buy. I mentioned to the SA that it was more reminiscent of CM, and she smiled condescendingly and said, "This is nothing like CM. It's a whole different perfume." Annoyed, I added that I like CM and it's freshness, which CN has in common, but prefer the original Coco. Her un-inspired response? "Ah. Spicy." Nordstrom needs to look into hiring more personable and persuasive associates. She didn't talk about any of the notes, nor the creation of the scent. So I just took the card and left.

Queen_cupcake
Queen_cupcake

When I went to the perfume counter to try this, the SA spritzed the air and wafted a card through it. I couldn't smell it at all. Then she spritzed and wafted the card again. Still no. Finally I asked to spray some on my skin. I sprayed a pretty substantial amount. I still couldn't smell anything!! :-( Lovely bottle but I cannot smell this juice.

Whit
Whit

I got to test this today and like others, I am disappointed. It's not bad, but it's not "noir" to me either. It smells like a cross between Coco Mademoiselle and Chanel No 5, both of which are very nice by the way. I just wish Chanel had made this "darker" because when I think of noir, I usually expect something mysterious smelling. With all that being said, it's glamorous in it's in own right as well as classy. For lovers of the aforementioned fragrances, this would be a dream come true.

VogueBoy
VogueBoy

There is nothing Noir in this fragrance, i really don´t understandy why Chanel choose "Noir" instead of "Eau Fraiche"

to me, this is even fresher than Coco Modemoiselle, grapefruit from start to end

Mizz-Coco
Mizz-Coco

Just tested at a Chanel counter in a nearby department store and I have to say, I'm very disappointed. I was hoping for something more deeper, darker, and richer than Coco but all I got was Coco Mademoiselle with more earthy spiciness. It's very unoriginal for a Chanel and nothing about it really stands out, so I don't feel the need to buy it. That aside, the quality of ingredients and longevity is excellent, which is not surprising considering it's a Chanel. I absolutely adore the bottle design it's so classy and luxurious looking with it's black tint and gold lining, on the other hand this is not reason enough to grab a bottle of this IMO. I think this is suitable for a person who feels that Coco Mademoiselle is too popular and wants a different take on it to change things up a little. I, on the other hand will stick to my lovely Coco M.

cherie97
cherie97

the bottle is truly beautiful, black, classic and luxurious. so beautiful, that when you want to take it from shelf you almost feel the power of cc.

and then you spray the perfume on your wrist, full of big expectations...

and you fall on the ground from the black cloud in cc heaven.

the scent is quite and a little sharp, a bit spicy and warm too, but it's nothing, when it's supposed to be something.
unbalanced, boring.
totally unpredicted.
it has this familiar spiciness that all cc scents share, but lacks uniqueness, character.
in a while it still acts quite, but in the same time it's hard to stand.

i am so dissapointed.
i thought, okay maybe i won't like it, but it surely is going to be a masterpiece.
what a mistake.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

This is a deeper, more nuanced version of Coco. It is stunning and it won't wash off.

antonpan
antonpan

I should say this one is not a flanker of Coco, but the darker flanker of Coco Mademoiselle. Coco Noir smells like a mix of Coco Mademoiselle and regular Chance with a touch of oriental powdery "old fashioned" molecules. That's Chanel!

noninoni

I have bought this today from the Chanel store following the launch hours ago. It is not cheap at all but well worth it, and unlike any fragrance I have ever tried.

sria
sria

by the notes, it sounds like a typical nice fragrance... unfortunately not a chanel

Killercolours
Killercolours

I have only tried this one on at my local perfume shop once while I was wearing something else, so I can't give you a pin point review, but I can say this.

It really is a great scent, but the name is so misguiding!

Don't expect a smokier, deeper Coco which the name would indicate, because you are getting a calmer, softer but still sexy version of the original. More modern and approachable for the "perfume slaves of today". It's like Coco had a baby with Flowerbomb or any similar modern patchouli+gourmand bomb. The similarities come with the drydown. But as I said, I do love it! It's great! Even though it's strangely named.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

Got a change to smell this one today. It is lovely. A better version of Coco Mademoiselle. A little softer and darker. I really love it.

sweetgirl

@PHOTO...THIS is much much more close to coco madem. than jessica simpson fancy....this is nothing like fancy...its a sweeter coco madem. i have fancy and that is cotton candy vanilla...sorry...

Photojenchick
Photojenchick

Across two weeks, I visited local department stores several times to test Coco Noir. This fragrance, housed in such a lovely bottle, makes the original Coco seem noir. The original Coco makes Coco Noir seem eau fraiche in comparison with Noir's bergamot blast at the top and white musk in the long dry down. While I prefer Noir much over Mademoiselle, after sampling it for the past two weeks, it has finally dawned on me why I could not find Noir full-bottle worthy. At its well-refined heart, full of sweet fruit & cleaned-up patchouli, it reminded me of Jessica Simpson Fancy. Granted, every single element within the composition of Coco Noir is of much greater quality, so much better orchestrated than Fancy that I suppose it's unfair to even make the comparison. And Noir certainly holds to the Chanel ideal that less is more. However, to my scent memory, the Coco Noir / Fancy association is simply too close for comfort. I canceled my pre-ordered bottle of Noir.

Fragrance is so subjective. This was just my experience. Predict it will bloom beautifully on the millions of ladies/men that choose to purchase a bottle. I'm just not one of them. More crushed than I should be. Was so looking forward to picking up the shiny black bottle this Friday. Thank goodness there are plenty of other Chanels to pursue.

noninoni

I've tried it last week and fell in LOOOOVE. Two more days for the launch! Sophisticated elegance!

sweetgirl

yes lack of spices i agree!

rose_selavie
rose_selavie

Finally I`ve tested Coco Noir yesterday. The bottle design is to die for! From the first seconds it reveals it`s elegant character, you can easily recognize the Chanel style and more than that it`s a Chanel that would appeal also to non-Chanel admirers, because it`s warm, not so severe, and it doesn`t have that impenetrable, inaccessible structure.

The smell is somehow familiar, I find elements from both the Coco classic and from Coco Mademoiselle. But however Coco Noir intends to be a "noir" fragrance, for me it will never dethrone the classic Coco. Coco Noir didn`t inherit the spicy part of Coco, only the velvety base, and from Mademoiselle it took the harsh patchouly and the bitter bergamote who are playing together in the opening notes, but in time they are more tempered. There is something in the base that gives a nice touch, the olibanum, it`s quite perceptible and adds a bit of a mystery and depth.

I forgive it`s lack of spices, after all the classic Coco will always remain with it`s fans, and Coco Noir has it`s own destiny and I think it`s on a good way.
It is glamorous, chic, a future classic. I like it alot, but I will not remove other perfume priorities from my agenda to buy it right away.

cedriceccentric

I wanted to comment about the price of Coco Noir. Coco Noir is an edp and it's rather more expensive than the other edp in the Chanel line. Price may vary from country to country, but for example Coco Mademoiselle retails in France at €76,90 for 50ml and Coco Noir is €92 for 50ml.
Now, is Coco Noir more concentrated, has it more expensive ingredients or has Coco Noir a more luxe positioning like Dior's J'adore L'Or compared to the regular J'adore line...
Just wondering.

sweetgirl

WELL, I GOT 2 sample vials of this..and this smells really good! i think yes, it smells similar to coco madem. but...its a more sultry better version of it..the regular is very sharp and mildew undertone smelling , this is modern fresh, soft ,sultry and a lil taste of coco at the edge of it ...great scent overall..still want a bottle for the winter months to come !

iMaverick
iMaverick

At first, I didn't really like it because of all the preconceived notions in my head on what Coco Noir was supposed to smell like, which I thought was the original Coco on a bed of Coromandel. You can definitely toss that out!

Coco Noir's opening was only very momentary but bright and luminous. Like a quick brushing aside of a thin curtain veil, the bright notes give way to the familiar notes of Coco and Coco Mlle. You smell the bold rose note of the original, then the playful yet young and sexy bouquet of Mlle. The scent starts to deepen to an accord that is more different than the ambered patchouli trail of the original or the sweet and earthy vanilla trail of Mlle. You catch resinous nuances as it deepens more, then you smell the tonka paired by a muskiness and the powdery like patchouli in Mlle., only stronger.

Apart from the slight "Coco" experience of the bouquet, the beginning and last stages reminded me so much of men's cologne. Most of the Chanel perfumes play with masculine notes in their scents, but Coco Noir's composition is so unmistakable in its masculinity. If you took the Chanel name away, and wave the scent under my nose, I would think it had a unisex niche quality since it doesn't create absolute boundaries as to where the masculine and feminine lines are drawn.

I like Coco Noir because it doesn't want to be an all too serious perfume. I also like it because it smells of notes that I like in men's cologne. It has heavy notes, but only leaves a dark yet still diaphanous trail. It doesn't smolder or radiate like her other two sisters. In my simple knowledge of perfumery, something says to add gardenia as the center floral in order to make it a truly marvelous and different scent and toss it out of its cash cow flanker marketing. I also think that it might smell better as an Extrait.

IMHO, I don't think it'll be a totally popular scent. It could very well be taken off the shelves in 2 years. Then again, I don't know how far frenzies go, it can probably stay around for the sole reason that it's a Chanel. I think they played it a little too safe this time.

I like, but I do not love. Yet still I probably will get myself a bottle anyway--a big bottle because I think it's so beautiful.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

okay, first impressions on COCO NOIR: no harsh jasmine-notes here. mmm i do get a velvety soft sexy incensy musky rose - not fresh cut one, or strong roses. All is just so well blended in NOIR. A very modern kind of Coco. You know in that way like "shalimar Parfum Initial" was for the original shalimar? More *today* and easy to love. I do want this bottle :) i know now after the scent has settled. Thumbs up!!

LANIER
LANIER

“Vous n'auriez pas vu Coco?”

Not everyone is going to like Coco Noir. After all she is not what they expected. Coco has a reputation in town for being uber-chic and almost always a perfect thing. But tonight she just wants to have fun.

THE OPENING: Bergamot, Grapefruit,

Where is the party Coco? It all begins around 10 pm in a cabaret in Pigale .Coco Noir is a party girl ripe and ready for flaming a night on the town from one end of Paris to the other. Don’t let the little black dress fool you or the gold jewelry so artfully placed lead you to think she is above scandal and a little naughty fun. Liquor sweet as cotton candy is passed around the club to girls for rent by men who light their cigars with 10 franc notes. Coco likes to mix it up with the hoi polloi and in so doing she finds herself dancing on the bar and singing her old song to the rough customers down from Montmartre.

“You have not seen Coco?
Coco in the Trocadero
Who has seen Coco?
Hey! Coco! Hey! Coco!
Who has seen Coco?
Hey! Coco!”

The crowed is singing along with her, hands grabbing at the hem of her skirt. They are laughing. She is laughing and ready to move on.

THE HEART: Rose, Jasmine, Narcissus.

It is after midnight when Coco makes her escape in a taxi to the elegant calm of Maxim’s. Her entrance causes a stir among the well dressed upper croissant of Paris. They are ALL talking about her. Some say she is too much, others that she is not enough and a few that she is heading for a fall. Where she is heading is to a private table for a late supper with a certain special Englishman. Here in the posh Maxims Coco Noir relaxes and enjoys the glamour that she infuses into the scene. All eyes are on her cool elegance as she flirts with the Englishman and sips Champagne cool and bubbly. She may laugh a little too loudly but she doesn’t care.

DRY DOWN: Sandalwood, Olibanum, Vanilla-Tonka Bean, White Musk, Patchouli.

Always the capricious coquette it is now on to the left bank. She and the English man along with a few Coco fans cross the river on foot singing her song, this time not quite so fast or as loud.

“Qui qu'a qui qu'a vu Coco?
Eh! Coco!
Eh! Coco!
Qui qu'a qui qu'a vu Coco?
Eh! Coco!”

Ending up in Le Chat Noir jazz club just off the Boulevard Saint Germain Coco leans lazily into the crook of the Englishman’s arm. Softly, dreamily she hums along to the cool slinky jazz sax. She could stay this way for hours, luxuriating in the lush smoky atmosphere of the end of a perfect night on the town. When the hangers on drift away she smiles up at her Englishman then winks.

As they walk arm in arm across the Pont Saint-Michel in the chilly pink dawn Coco Noir rests her head on his shoulder and sings softly to him.

“Qui qu'a qui qu'a vu Coco?”

The opening of Coco Noir is very bright and fizzy with bergamot and grapefruit. There is the pink fuzzy feel of cotton candy to me in the opening. That passes very fast as the bottom note olibanum snakes up to take its sensuous hold. Then the heart notes rose, jasmine and narcissus come in to play softly and with a stayed elegant enhanced by the grounding geranium and the upwardly moving bottom notes of vanilla and tonka bean. All through this center you get the arrival of the final dry down notes. Fist the sandal wood followed closely by the white musk and patchouli. It has a fine silage and last very long on my skin.

Coco Noir is not dark and mysterious as one might expect from the name and the beautiful black bottle. It is all about fun. This is a scent for a night out including anything from the Opera to a nightclub. Aside from the early cotton candy sensation that is only there for 10 minutes it really is not that overtly feminine so I would say it could be worn by both sexes.

Coco Noir is the kind of mademoiselle that when you wear her at night, anything could happen.

FIVE GOLD STARS ****

greydove
greydove

Sampling this today: At first it smelled almost exactly like Mlle. a very sour, acidic, grapefruit with hints of rose, but its drying down softer and more mossy, woodsy and earthy on me; quite like the original Coco. The patchouli is dialed way down from Mlle. Its not really my style unfortunately, though it should be popular with regular department store shoppers, but I think for a perfumista, not that original. I'm pretty much settled now that a Chanel added to my collection will be coming from the Exclusifs line.

bibi101
bibi101

I've been so lucky to have a sample of this one.it's a very classy scent, chique and close to skin, where mademoiselle is more fresh, this noir is softer
The bottle is georgeous

APassionateJourney
APassionateJourney

Mmmmmmm. Smelled this today. This is like a mixture between the original Coco, Which I don't really care for, and the Mademoiselle, which I looooove! I'm not sure you would really NEED all three. Just either Coco and mlle, noir and coco, or noir and mlle. As a matter of fact, its a lot closer to Mlle than the original Coco so I'd just stick with either or. I've already arranged to give my Mlle away to get this one since I love this bottle more.

My bad for rambling. On to the scent. You're hit with a very bergamotty scent at the start of the fragrance and it dries down to a softer, sweeter citrus scent. Very beautiful and elegant. I really liked it. I should hurry up and pre-order my bottle! I hope they'll make a cream to this!

Soutty123

I tried it and I was a bit disappointed really. It reminded me of Coco Madmoiselle but not as distinctive. I love the bottle so much it's ridiculous but it certainly didn't give me the wow factor the wau that the original Coco did back in the 80s or the way that Coco Madmoiselle did in the early noughties. Both those perfumes seemed so new and so amazing at the time. Sad to say this was a bit, well, meh.

I bought foundation and the sales girl had a bottle (not the bottle they show here, just a plain black bottle) which she sprayed on a card. She told me it is launching on 17th August. I will try it again in the hope that I change my mind but really, first impressions were that it was a bit weak and feeble.

delphine67
delphine67

Cant wait to sniff this

kosmoskukka
kosmoskukka

Now I have sampled this one, and to my nose this reminds me too much Coco Mademoiselle. I was wondering Chanel would do something totally different, like between Coco and Coco Mademoiselle. I think its like Coco Mademoiselle added by Patchouli. And to my nose this is very much Tamed scent if compared to Black Orchid. Though its noticeable to be Chanel. Not sure if want a bottle.

Coco Noir by Chanel 3.85 out of 5 based on 1441 ratings and 374 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Coco Noir fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Coco Noir, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Coco Noir by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Coco Noir by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.