Designers » C » Leather « Groups

Cuir de Russie Chanel for women

Cuir de Russie Chanel for women
dislike

leather
Cuir de Russie Chanel for women Pictures Cuir de Russie Chanel for women Pictures Cuir de Russie Chanel for women Pictures

Cuir de Russie, or Russian leather was a theme modern at the end of the 19th century. Many perfume houses were creating perfumes for women who smoked cigarettes. Today exclusive, Chanel's Cuir de Russie was created in 1924. The fragrance is provocative and shocking, and that exactly was its purpose, because it was created for a woman who dared to smoke cigarettes in public. It was a kind of encouragement and approval, because at that time a woman who smoked was a scandalous and inconceivable symbol of emancipation.

The composition starts with aldehydes moderated by mild nectar of classical trio – rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang. The ending comes as smoky, animalistic note of dark leather. The main notes are: orange blossom, bergamot, mandarin, sage, iris, jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, cedarwood, vetiver, styrax, leather, amber and vanilla.

The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Beaux.

Orange Blossom Mandarin Orange Clary Sage Bergamot Lemon

Carnation iris Jasmine Vetiver Ylang-Ylang Cedar Rose

Leather Amber Vanilla Heliotrope Birch Tobacco Musk

Cuir de Lancome (La Collection Fragrances)

Cuir de Russie Fragrance Reviews

Henriette
Henriette

I have been testing wrist to wrist Cuir de Lancome and Chanel Cuir de Russie.
This is my impression:
the opening of CdL is more subdued, more leathery, sweeter where CdR is sharper. I detect no flowers in any of the two.
CdL develops in a subtler way while CdR seems a rollecoaster ride, more exciting, more faceted. CdL is quieter and in the drydown much more feminine than CdR.
All through its way I can sense no jasmine, no orris, no rose, no flowers at all in CdR while I can feel a very elegant way through expensive materials and a surely very alluring smell. It stays very close to the skin and when completely melts with you, the scent is one of the Seven Wonders of this world.
CdL is much like CdR not in the way the two smells but more in the elegance, the old money feeling it gives you when wearing it.
Definitely I would tend to be of opinion that were CdL much more expensive (the way CdR is) it would be regarded as its Chanel mate by collectors and opinioners worldwide.
Cuir de Russie is a monument in perfumery and very rightly so, but in my very humble opinion I think that Cuir de Lancome should not be disregarded in haste. All the contrary. It would rightly deserve a monument as well.
(For a more detailed review of Cuir de Lancome see my other review on its page).

Dodgy
Dodgy

ancient and overstuffed leather armchairs, cigars, the library of a grand chateau, brandy....

Never realised just how good a scent could be before I smelled this...

Love at first sniff!!!!!

Museumgal
Museumgal

What a great leather scent! The leather is the star obviously, and it's a smoky, well-broken in sort of leather. Then coming in are some beautiful florals -- powder with the iris and a little sweetness from the jasmine/ylang combination. The sweetness of the white and yellow florals keeps the leather from being too overwhelming. It's a really well balanced, well blended scent. Gorgeous leather, sophisticated and classic. Great for cooler months any time.

Mistressvoodoodolly
Mistressvoodoodolly

Wow Lanier, your review is fascinating and educational yet very passionate! You are a very talented writer.

LANIER
LANIER

Paris 1921. Dawn. The snow was falling outside. It was a white coverlet that blanketed the Place Vendome like a soft wet whisper. Coco stretched and smiled eyes still closed. She rolled over in the bed and opened one eye. In the cool steel grey light the Grand Duke was still asleep. The beautiful Russian’s scent had permeated Coco’s bed. She breathed in the aroma of tobacco, it mingled with his musky sexiness. He was delicious.

She sat up in the bed and looked around the boudoir pulled her knees up to her chin and hugged them. A new lover; what could be more perfect this winter? She gathered the mink throw about her naked shoulders and arose like a sylph to ring for breakfast. As she passed a bouquet of African orange blossoms, roses and jasmine on the vanity she noticed how lovely the scent was as it mingled with the trail of musky masculinity that followed her progress from the bed. It hovered near her cheek daring her to kiss the air.

Once breakfast was ordered she turned to enter the bathroom and a glint of light from the foot of the bed snatched at the corner of her eye. The Duke’s gorgeous noir leather boots were there where he had dropped them the night before, one upright the other having fallen over on its side. Coco swept one up in her arms and held it like the most precious thing. The strong masterly fragrance of fine Russian leather embraced her. The room seemed to be swimming in leather and tobacco and some faint spices from the Orient that emanated from one of her perfume bottles. “Odeur incroyable, merveilleux rêve…” she whispered softly. She dropped the boot and fell back into bed with him. She squinted and studied his profile. Then playfully she ran her finger along his imperial Russian forehead over his nose and lips down to his chin. “Wake up Cheri! I have an idea.”

That Idea became Cuir De Russie by Chanel inspired by her brief love affair with a Romanoff on the run, the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich. Created in 1924 by master nose of the house of Chanel, Ernest Beaux this fragrance is a masterpiece of the leather perfume group.

It opens like a rich silver box lined with plush maroon velvet. It is well-appointed and sumptuous in the smoothness of its first notes of African orange blossom and mandarin orange. These citrus accords are only momentary and they sink back to reveal the heart of jasmine, rose and ylang ylang supported by incredible spice. This all sounds very feminine and lovely but the over riding structure and genius of this fragrance is the persistence of the rich smooth polish of a great leather note. It is there from beginning to end. This leather blends in with the rose and jasmine to create a dominating masculine presence that somehow is not pushy but rather intuitive and clever. It is a seduction of insinuation that is in the end irresistible. It smells of a clean wonderful athletic body that isn’t intimidated by rough roughish edginess that comes with the musk. The dry down is clean as the birch wood note enters along with a taste of tobacco and bergamot. The projection is substantial and it lasts around six to eight hours. Cuir de Russie is most definitely for both men and women.

Plane and simply put it is a magnificent scent. Cuir de Russie by Chanel Les Exclusifs is a classic from arguably one of the best noses ever to have lived. Legendary, iconic and timeless and as modern today as it was when it was introduced 88 years ago.

FIVE PLATIUM CAMILIAS *****

Kipling&Alice
Kipling&Alice

Since some reviewers voted on similarity between Cuir de Russie and Cuir de Lancôme, I felt compelled to compare them side by side and determine the degree of this similarity.
Leather in Cuir de Russie (vintage parfum) is dry, dusted in powder, with vetiver being prominent in the opening but gradually fading and being overtaken by jasmine. Opening is somewhat linear since the aforementioned notes seem to be fixed in relation to each other. Half way into the dry-down the “barn notes” appear which I attribute to the jasmine (here it wafts of horse manure and/or a sweaty horse). Fortunately this note is detectable only with the nose pressed against the skin and does not project beyond that. In the dry-down this is a polite and somewhat unremarkable leather chypre, rather masculine in its overall temperament. Not a very prominent silage and the lasting power for a parfum is rather short.
Cuir de Lancôme in comparison to Cuir de Russie is much softer, unmistakably feminine, and more complex from start to finish. Notes seem to dance giving way to each other, then joining together, then performing solos again. Cuir de Lancôme opens with delicate flowers over suede, becomes smoky in its middle notes, and dries down to a suede steeped in Tonka and Vanilla, but not gourmand nor too sweet. This perfume is in a state of movement in every stage. If Cuir de Russie leaves me with the impression of a stolid, inert country bumpkin; Cuir de Lancôme is a sophisticated Cosmopolitan, who is well put together, alert and dynamic. The longevity and silage of the later is much superior to that of the former.
To conclude, the only thing in common these two perfumes share is that they both were composed to represent perfumer’s idea of a leather. Side by side comparison reveals a striking difference between the two not only in their notes but in the overall impressions they leave behind.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Somptuous, soapy, sensual orris-leather masterpiece with a multi-faceted cut – balsamic, dark, floral, chypre, dry, powdery. A quintessential timeless great masterpiece like Mitsouko, Shalimar, Bois des Iles: there's them, then there's everything else. Scents which do not really any douche like me wittering about them. Ironically I agree with Anosmia's review on Basenotes: I mostly wear it at home too, but not because I find it too feminine, just because I do that with the scents I really love the most - so that I can enjoy them at full power and concentration, and in total relax.

Mandatory!

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

I put Cuir de Russie on one wrist and Tabac Blond on the other, and was astonished to discover that the opening note of CdR is actually quite floral. Ylang-ylang, I would say, rather than jasmine-not quite sweet enough for jasmine. TB is dirtier, smokier, leatherier-this is coming as a shock to me, because CdR has been my reference leather for so long; also because I'm not using vintage TB, and I understand that the modern stuff has been thoroughly defanged.

However in the long run, CdR reveals a long-lasting, deep, ambery leather that is rich and deep and heady without being at all clingy.

Cuir de Russie will remain my reference leather and one of my all-time favorite perfumes.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

This opens up smelling exactly like saddle soap on leather. With the leather there's some kind of floral that I'm guessing is the iris and also something salty. This phase is quite challenging. I appreciate it's complexity and balance but I can't really like it. Perhaps its an acquired taste. Then it goes to a powdery aldehyde phase that's very Chanel and some beautiful floral.

It doesn't last very long, about six hours but it is occasionally gorgeous, unpredictable and always interesting.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

I can't speak for the most recent reformulation of Cuir de Russie as what I have is one of those vintage small, rectangular vials with a glass stopper/dauber of Cuir de Russie that's so old that there are no longer any top notes to speak of. Long gone are the notes of orange blossom, bergamot and sage, ylang, etc. What I am getting is strong saddle-type leather right out of the bottle. There are no buttery soft, suede luxury purses here, just well-seasoned, burnished leather with smokey styrax and the hint of soft, white florals and a bit of sweet amber wafting through as a counterpoint, now and then, as I move my wrists. I'm wearing this on this cold crisp winter morning as frozen snow lay on the ground and I'm having my morning coffee...it's perfect.

Eric.S
Eric.S

This scent for me has taken me nearly a full year and three seasons to fully appreciate. It is not a spring smell, and definitely not a summer scent. As a male smoker I was intrigued by the idea of a scent designed for women who dared to smoke nearly a century ago. When it is warm outside this smell quickly becomes sickening sweet, however, in the winter this perfume quickly comes to life with a warm opening of leather that lays close to the skin all day and dries down into the brilliant warm floral wood scent the we all love in our traditional Chanel buy. Definitely worth every dollar if you want a winter scent to keep you smelling yourself. Also, the leather has just enough masculinity to make this scent truly unisex.

asheble93
asheble93

Chanel Cuir de Russie:

This one took me a couple of tries just to get past the opening, it was so insurmountably strong that I couldn't really appreciate it. However, after the first two or three minutes of my third attempt it mellowed out a little, and I was able to grasp the leather and floral balance.

I would describe it as 3/4 leather, 1/4 floral bouquet. The leather is unabashed, and smells just like a few vintage jackets I have. While this scent is probably not for me, (primarily because of the overwhelming strength of the opening) I can see its beauty. It is dry, powerful, and slightly feminine. A true historical testament to the raucous women of the 1920's.

Overall: 7.5

jelizani
jelizani

This is my first Chanel and what a gloriously naughty introduction it is! The initial burst was hazy, cloudy smoke, like bars were back in the day before smoking bans. Remember those nights when your eyes would burn and your hair would stink the next day in the shower? Believe it or not, I kinda miss it, though probably more in memory than I would in reality. Anyway, the smoke settles into supple leather and musk, with smoothed over rose rubbed in. The florals are mature, like oil on skin. I ab.so.lute.ly. love this, though I feel like I need a dirrrrty martini, stat!

arzacu

Liuba

to twj47-CHANEL official site

MsAmazing
MsAmazing

OMG what a difference the perfume makes from the EDT. I've always heard what a great perfume Cuir de Russie was. Now I can agree. Finally I can smell the leather, the tobacco, the smoke, the vetiver--and, yet feminine so Paris. The florals as yet are not distinguishable to me; I may be able to discern them after wearing it for a week or so. It is close to the skin. I may give up hoarding scents and stick to this one. (Probably not)

Jellybean
Jellybean

Potent ashtray smell with leather gloves. Slight powdery florals hiding in the background. Sorry Chanelers but I have to say this......
Reminiscent of a horse stable too as previously mentioned. Person that wore a perfume and went to work in a horse stable, that's spot on description.
This is the dirtiest Chanel I came across. Use it sparingly.
Maybe it works for some, I don't know, I have to wash it off immediately.

twj47
twj47

This was 'my' perfume from 1967 to about 1977 when I could no longer find it. I'm quite staggered at the number of reviews which indicate that it's still available! I loved it and was heartbroken when it was impossible to find. Somebody please tell me where it's available - I might even give up my Ortigia Ambra Nera!

spaniel
spaniel

Stupendously good. A true masterpiece that outperforms the majority of niche perfumes on the market.

I steered away from this at first because I was looking for something distinctly masculine, but damn this works well on my (male) skin. Florals (I get mostly rose, iris and jasmine) and aldehydes, fade to leave a warm, creamy leather. Smells expensive. Unobtrusive sillage, but pretty good longevity on me.

I am quite drawn to leathers frags, but this outperforms the others I have (VC&A pH - too strident and synthetic, and Byredo Baudelaire - which I really like but is a very different beast altogether).

Class act. Bravo!

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

I really wish that I loved this parfum on my skin. Alas, it doesn't fully bloom on me. At the start I get suede which deepens into leather and that's it. No flowers, and there isn't enough added to the leather to make it arousing in the way that other leather blends have been - the original Venezia, for instance.

As for 'animalic' - on me this leather just isn't. And I do love the animalic! Back when other hippie chicks were drowning themselves in patchouli oil, I was luxuriating in my bottle of Cabot Labs civet oil that I found at the local drugstore! Only recently have I even been able to appreciate patchouli, but I have always loved civet.

If anyone would like to have the remaining tiny sample of Cuir de Russie parfum that I purchased from The Perfumed Court, just pay the postage and it's yours.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

What a clever, elegant and luxurious perfume!

Clever because it absolutely conjures up a refined scent of leather. Not in a raw, newly purchased animalic sense, but more the worn leather of a luxurious handbag or expensive car seats.

The opening is classic chanel - aldehydes, jasmine, and as a previous poster pointed out - a little like the opening of Chanel No 5 - soapy and slightly powdery. Then it develops into a classic unisex clean, subtly floral elegant leather, there's a tiny hint of what feels like civet, something animalic that gives it a skin-scent quality

It conjures up travel - not a hint of Ryan Air or Easy Jet here though - more ocean liners and private jets. I somehow doubt I'll ever have a private jet, but I can imagine the handsome pilot of my imaginary jet plane smelling like Cuir de Russie, and it does have something of the ultimate refined male about it! That shouldn't put you off wearing it as a woman though, because the scent of fragrant soapy, refined leather is unisex, though ultimately I'd say its scenty quality is more typically feminine (maybe he's just left the embrace of his elegant girlfriend before climbing into the cockpit, with the lingering scent of her elegant perfume on his impeccable pilot's uniform!). This is fb worthy to use the acronym (full bottle)

If you're looking for timeless elegance, this won't disappoint you. The longevity is around 6 hours, silage fairly close to skin.

alexis_lomakin
alexis_lomakin

...As you know, Coco Chanel was romantically involved with Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich of Russia [Dmitri Pavlovich Romanov] through whom Chanel met perfumers in Grasse and master perfumer Ernest Beaux (born and trained in Moscow, Russia). It was Beaux who had been asked by Chanel to encapsulate the essence of her romance with the Grand Duke. The idea was to create a fragrance of wild cavalcades, wafts of blond tobacco and the smell of boots tanned by birch bark, which the Russian soldiers would wear. I personally think that this idea was brought to the absolute realism! This is because of a memory from my childhood... I vividly remember my father, who was a Russian military man, smelling exactly like Cuir de Russie by Chanel!!!

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

I cant really improve on the previous review which is my sentiments exactly. Its a clean, soapy leather and, although I love it, it seems like something that represents a Woman's ideal Man. A fantasy of the ideal Male sexual partner. I would think that a woman might guard it jealously, believing no one to be superior enough to wear it.

freelandb
freelandb

When I wear Cuir de Russie I am no longer a housewife in the Mississippi delta. Oh no. I am an English blue-blood, an aristocrat, who is tall and gorgeous with a deep, throaty laugh, and RIDICULOUSLY wealthy. Oozing old money. I hunt and ride and jump and shoot all with exceptional skill and grace, looking fabulous all the while. I take lovers and drive my own car, a Bentley convertible with all-leather interior (of course)- no drivers for this gal. I wear furs with abandon and smoke like a stack with no regard for propriety. I'm mature and composed and worldly because I've seen it all and done it all. But I'm certainly not old...
Alas, when I've worn Cuir de Russie no one else has noticed, or at least no one has said anything. But no matter, I just kept dousing myself and enjoying my little aristocratic fantasy...

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

This is a sublime fragrance for me. I initially tried the eau de toilette version which I love, but once I opened the pure parfum bottle I was Blown Away. The toilette has some sharpness and is a bit more cutting with the leather notes. The parfums' opening is very No.5 for me(which I didn't get at all in the toilette) but quickly evolves into the most smooth, elegant, smoky, leathery, floral, wonderfulness. This truly is a holy grail fragrance that should be worn the old fashioned way, dabbed behind the ears, wrist and knees. The parfum is smooth, deep, and so so rich...smells just like a vintage Hermes Kelly bag owned by a chic woman who smoked a little too much.

antfarm
antfarm

This smelled masculine on me and feminine on my boyfriend.

On my skin this smells like a straight-up salty leather cologne with no other facets. It was rather flat.

On my boyfriend this smells like a woman's drop-dead gorgeous leather perfume, brought to life with just about every floral note listed. Now THAT was how it was supposed to smell on ME. Color me jealous.

aveilhe
aveilhe

Cuir de Russie (parfum) starts with a classic Chanel opening: clean, powdery aldehydes and an herbal-citrus note. The leather is in the background...waiting to be discovered, flirting with you just a bit.

The leather continues to become more prominant as the perfume warms on your skin. The middle notes are sensuous and fragile: woody notes mingle with traditional florals, and a slight clove-carnation spice radiates warmth. This sweet warmth calls to mind the animalic quality of leather -- reminiscent of the comforting intimacy of a horse's velvety fur and mane.

Notes of tobacco and musk combine in the dry-down and prevent the leather from ever becoming too harsh, too potent. Amber and wood notes contribute a sensuous, faintly spicy aroma.

When comparing Cuir de Russie to two other classic leathers that I have recently tested (Caron Tabac Blond and Rochas Femme), I must say that Chanel's ode to leather wins by a landslide. The leather in Tabac Blonde is too fleeting, while the leather in Rochas Femme is too muddled with syrupy fruits for my taste.

Cuir de Russie meets all of my expectations for a balanced leather composition: not too dirty, not too masculine, not too weighed-down by other notes. It is intimate and alluring. Animalic, but well-groomed and well-behaved.

Chanel's masterpiece (one of many, of course) is a ladylike leather. That is not to say it is prim or girly -- heaven's no! This is a strong, powerful woman. She is an equestrian, but she doesn't ride sidesaddle. She rides proudly astride, her back straight, her gaze intent.

In parfum form, sillage is intimate, and longevity is very good. This is meant to be a sensual skin-scent, so it makes sense that it stays close to the wearer. Honestly, I would feel completely comfortable wearing this scent during the day or night (most likely during cooler months). As with most Chanel's, it feels elegant and appropriate for a number of occasions.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I tried most of the exclusifs line last week on a rare afternoon into London and expected an utter revelation. I spent £11.00 on a bottle of Cuir de Lancome just before they discontinued it, this is over £100?? Until I run out of Cuir de Lancome, this probably won't be in my wardrobe as they are very similar. This is a little dirtier (which I like) but just not different enough to warrant the investment.

curvealert
curvealert

I don't normally gravitate towards leather scents, but I absolutely love this one. It's what I wear when I want to feel sexy in an understated way, confident, authoritative, maybe a bit dominant! *cracks whip*

The floral notes are divine, particularly the iris. I wish I could afford to wear it more often.

I can see why men like wearing this as well; it's not too sweet and doesn't have a strong silage.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Cuir de Russie is an angular officer of the Tsar's cavalry mounted on the back of a black thoroughbred horse.

It is worldy, sensual, rough and exotic. Yet at once has vulnerability: it offers glimpses of tenderness and hints at a melancholy as vast and unending as the Russian Steppes themselves.

This is hide: black, burnished, animal and unclean.

This is not the polite, precise, bridled up leather of a Hermes saddle or bag: fit for French fops on manicured ponies.

This is military leather, hardened by battle and burned birch. Impervious to the elements and sentiment , at first unyielding and unconscious of compromise.

But wait, something resides beneath the apparently impenetrable surface.

For at once with the St Petersburg splendour of Empire so comes its underbelly. The Caucuses, the conquered kingdoms of Mohammedans, Cossacks and Stans.

There is something of the souk: cardamon perhaps, the charcoal burner of the water pipe and its sweet and flavoured tobacco, a slow cooking stew of meats and fruits and spices.

Yet, through the bazzar of boots and belts and bags, specially cured to disguise from whence they came. Beyond the army supplier's oleaginous smiles and eternal deals, without the Medina's walls: here resides the truth.

The tannery. It's filth, it's excretia, it's putrefaction. The inevitable and unbearable pain that brings forth such beauty.

And it is all too much amongst the stink of the skins.

Our officer raises a pomade of flowers and bergamot to the nose, hoping hopelessly to ward off the evil and the smells. Spinning on sculpted heal, turning a back on reality. An old pipe is lit with french tobacco and our soldier departs in search of sex, sollace and forgetfulness.

As with every aristocrat of a declining Empire, our officer is open to offers from either man or woman - at the right price.

The mercenary promises to love no one. When present the presence is intense and enveloping as a lover's close embrace. Alas, it is gone too soon leaving only absence and the heart to yearn through the longeur to its return.

Cuir de Russie is the angular officer of the Tsar's cavalry mounted on the back of a black thoroughbred horse that every man and every woman wants to be or be with.

Belgianbear
Belgianbear

Chanel Cuir de Russie is not only a woman perfume! It's your CHOICE !! So elegant and mysterious. I like it and I wear perfectly this very classical scent of Chanel. Fresh, green and hot! Fresh & Sexy!!

temo
temo

Finally purchased this after falling for it, 2 years ago. So glad that I finally did! I love how it stays close to the skin. Makes me feel very elegant.

Elouise2009
Elouise2009

Smells of memories - like autumn in 1920s Paris. The opening initially seems very feminine and typically Chanel (almost like No 5), the leather then kicks in and the whole thing changes to a slightly masculine fragrance. Very sophisticated and probably more suited to the over thirty age group. It seems to change at different times of day and is at its most beautiful early in the morning.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Ok, can somebody tell me if this is a men's fragrance? or unisex? I'm intrigued by the reviews and I think I MUST take a trip down to bond street to get a whiff of this hard-to-find collectable.

maab
maab

This leather masterpiece was made in Heaven.

adrienn99
adrienn99

hmmm. this is one of the good leather fragrances indeed and like the previous reviewer added, it needs to be tried on the skin as on paper it is just a harsh leather smell.

This scent morphs on the skin quite quickly and the rest of the notes come to play, in a quite blended way.

Although I think it is well done and definitely a must have for leather fans, I find it way to animalic on my skin... and also if there was cumin somewhere in the background (which is one of the very few notes I cannot stand).

Hilaire
Hilaire

I had only smelt this on paper before now, and I really don't think that I ever quite understood how beautiful it is.

I tested this on my skin and I nearly fell off my chair! It's the most spellbindingly gorgeous perfume I've sniffed in a long time. It's starts off incredibly floral with the Rose, Ylang Ylang, Iris and Jasmine exploding with sensual sweetness and powdery creaminess.

Woodiness, smokiness and Cedar create a peculiarly incense-ish note which takes over the background of the dry down but the florals never leave. The effect is of the most sublime and heavenly temple incense in the world.

It's woody, floral, smoky, creamy and powdery all at once and I think I have just fallen totally, madly and completely in love with it! My tester must now become a full bottle!

This is what my dreams of perfume smell like.

10 out of 10 for everything. <3 (I literally have goosebumps writing this, I'm so crazy about this perfume!)

aschiffm
aschiffm

smells like a smoky classy ashtray... in a bad ass good way. after a while it started to smell like dark new leather boots with a bit of sweat... also bad ass and cool.

if you have a tough as nails personality this is great. i think it might also be interesting if you mix it with some kind of sweeter perfume, it would still probably hold that edginess but be more dynamic.

belleotero
belleotero

I can't wear this perfume to work because it's so beautiful it's distracting. I like the parfum best: so rich, subtly spicy (the carnation?) beneath a gorgeous jasmine-ylang-leather blend. Subtle vetiver and amber notes come out after an hour or two. I think the EdT has a drier, lighter, more hay-like feeling -- I prefer the richness of the parfum. People always comment that it smells expensive! It is, but it's worth saving for. I also have a vintage bottle of the parfum (60's?) and it has much more barnyard -- I really get not only hay but horses for the first bit in that one, more than I find really pleasant. The contemporary parfum is a perfect floral-leather blend. If I didn't have to work, I'd never buy any other perfume.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I really love leathers. I have Cabochard as well which I am crazy about. I love this too but in a different way. Cabochard is a rather loud fragrance that makes me feel like a really tough broad from way back who can do everything like ride motorcycles and fly planes. Chanel's is totally different from that. The first time I smelled it the words somber and austere came to mind. It smells like gloom and sadness in a way - like something out of Edgar Allen Poe. Love it. One day I will have enough money to go buy a great big bottle!

iivanita
iivanita

i am fascinated with this scent, becasue it lasted more then 12 hours without me loosing the sense for it! never experienced anything simmilar...
and my first reaction to it was, jezus this is like some horse sh.t :)...but later it turned into such a gread leathery scent, so feminine..so unique :)...and i was sure i will never buy it, i bought it :)
just amazing!

girasolina
girasolina

Wonderful creation that has no equal!
Super super super.
Sophisticated, balanced and long Sillage.

Camin
Camin

I think this is a men's fragrance. When I put it on I imagined riding in a fancy taxi in some European city, in which someone had been smoking Turkish cigarettes. It is very urban, sophisticated, and vintage. Smoke and expensive leather. The drydown in s little sweeter; I can detect the amber. I wish I could smell clary in this as I love it, but I don't get it. Very evocative scent, but not for me.

calliope07
calliope07

EDP vintage. Very distinctive scent, makes no.5 appear mundane in comparison. Reminds me of tweed, blazers, and cool old sports cars. Sporty, not for night or formal or the weak of heart.

angelinadsjp
angelinadsjp

Just been given a very old bottle - (probably 20s) by a friend sorting out her Mothers rooms - the bottle so classic - sheer elegance and style - sophisticated -so chic - worn by a lady happy in her own skin - the glass wand dips deep into the elegant bottle - I am in love - brought tears to my eyes - a fragrance reminiscent of yesteryear - but still a 'now' fragrance - still relevant today - wow it reminded me of sitting in the interior of my uncles ancient Rolls Royce many years ago - the sumptuous leather - comfortable - priveleged - says it all- Bliss.....

Christy2198
Christy2198

This is my guilty pleasure. It is too"pay attention to what I am saying to you" for my day. I work in a library. Even though we say we are not a "quiet zones" this perfume is no matter how much I love this scent I could not pull it off at work. I get home in the evenings change from work clothes to my comfies get a couple of dabs of cuir de russie.

JToronto
JToronto

Although this was originally supposed to be a feminine fragrance, I bought it for my husband some years ago and it has become his favourite. More and more, I find my self sneaking a spritz, and not only for the pleasure of being reminded of him. As a leather scent, I guess it will evoke different memories for each person, but mine is of a dusty old library with leather chairs and mouldy leather-bound books...warm, fragrant, comforting, but it reminds me of that feeling of being a young girl in a men's world. Not a happy political sentiment, perhaps, but still a pleasant nostalgia. It is a warm, classic, beautiful but assertive scent.

roam
roam

I've recently obtained some samples of the EDT... I cannot get enough of this scent. I'm absolutely obsessed. I went into five different department and fragrance stores before finally seeking out the nearest Chanel boutique just to know what it smelled like. Now, I'm on a mission to find the parfum. As much as I like the EDT, it doesn't have lasting power and I believe it to be watered down. I can only imagine what this fragrance is like full-power.

It has everything... it's a contradiction of itself in every way. It's lofty, but grounded. Sophisticated, but can be appreciated by anybody. It's bold and wild, but controlled and wraps its wearer in an almost tangible air of quiet dignity. If you are seeking something rare and unlike any other, this is it. As far as the nose profile, you can trust this one to smell exactly like you imagined. This smoulders with passion and is for ambitious dreamers everywhere.

Grottola
Grottola

I've always loved the raw, sexual quality of Chanel's Cuir de Russie. The very slight animalic funk that compliments the balsams and leather is just too damn sexy - I definitely can understand why Mick Jagger wears this one. I believe that Cuir de Russie (especially the vintage EdT) is totally unisex once the opening blast of florals subsides. It has that thick, rich quality that Chanel is able to pull off so flawlessly. Love it!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is such a warm, enveloping fragrance and it really just smells amazing, although the opening is quite soapy. The leather note gives it such a nice smokey effect, like a soft haze over the warmth of the vanilla, amber and vetiver. The orange blossom brightens it, like a light through a fog and there is something almost creamy about it that makes it so comforting, which I think is the ylang ylang. It is rather masculine and so quite daring for a woman, but well worth it. This is for those dark months of autumn and winter, when you're wrapped up by a fire with a good book. :)

Ok, start to save your money now because you "NEED" to buy Cuir De Russie. This is absolutely fantastic and it's one of the richest, most lascivious and elegant leather scents around. Perfectly balanced to be at the same time wearable and " risky", it runs in that tiny, thin line between glory and precipice and it does it with an incredible awareness. Floral- animalic-leather at their best. Magistrally crafted, this is pure perfumery virtuosism. One of those scents that you encounter once every 100 years (i.e. Knize Ten). Buy it!

Cuir De Russie has been reformulated since 1924, but despite that, it's still one of the most luxurious and terrific iris/leather around. That's how reformulations should be!

oona noir
oona noir

Cuir de Russie is brilliant. And I say this as someone who can't, or rather, shouldn't, wear it. There are two main components to Cuir de Russie. The first is very delicate, romantic flowers. The flower accord is similar to the one in Bois des Iles. The second part is the most manure covered leather that I have come across yet. As a comparison- If you've tested Bandit, this leather note is absolutely NOTHING like the one in Bandit. Bandit is saddle leather or new car leather to my nose. Cuir de Russie is dark, used leather with horse droppings. When I tested it, I really thought that there were two types of people who could wear this one well- either very girly, romantic type women (think Nicole Kidman in Far and Away) or men who have been around the block a few times (think Mick Jagger). Anybody in between these two types and this seems unwearable to me. I'm in between, therefore I won't wear it. But I do admire it. Brilliant juice.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This review is for the modern EDT..

Smell like leather? - Yes.

Nice leather scent? - Yes.

Is better than Caron's leather Fragrances? - No.

Anyway this fragrance is pure leather on my skin. The lasting power is good.

johnstaf
johnstaf

For me, Cuir de Russie has to be the last word in extravagance. I find it amazing that Ernest Beaux managed to weave a dry, smoky, animalic leather note into a magic potion that maintains the soft luxurious Chanel style.

trax
trax

This did not work for me at all.. It's leather, but it's a dirty leather, like leather boots with cow dung on'em.
I so wanted to like this as I know many who love this and revel in its elegance, but alas.. This cow dung/henna haircolor powder note drowns out all hopes of elegance for me.
Bear in mind that if a fecal/dirty note is latent in a scent, my skin will always always send this note front and center..

kylexora
kylexora

So leathery... nice and warm... i like it when my hubby wear it... i hugs him all night long and fall deeply in love.. very comforting and warm.
A good winter fragrance too.

Cereza
Cereza

My boyfriend gagged for 10 minutes after I applied this on my wrist, I was smart and did not sniff, because I knew that I sprayed too much and I knew that if i'll smell it then I won't like it. It's been an hour since it's on my wrist and I like it. I feel leather only a slight bit, but most of all I get loads of jasmin and tobacco. As a smoker myself I enjoy it, but I find jasmin a little bit too heady and nauseating. And the thing I dislike is that it has something really old fashioned and skanky, can't tell what, but on me it does smell a little bit like strippers boudoir. Funny. I will give this a "like", because on the right and daring woman it would be amazing! Definitely worth a try or two,

perfumeaficionado
perfumeaficionado

Upon first wiff, Cuir de Russie is an olfactory time machine that transports me to the turn of the 19th century as the Russian Revolution was heralding the end to an autocratic empire. The imperial government collapsed and the royal legacy of mother Russia came to an end. However everything Russian at the turn of the 19th century was high fashion in Europe. Cuir de Russie is a time capsule for the “Russian Leathers” worn by the Romanov dynasty.

Coco Chanel had a transfixion with Russian style and it influenced her aesthetic. Chanel worked with the brilliant perfumer Ernest Beaux in 1927, to create a truly liberating fragrance for the modern woman. This fragrance is very much like Victor / Victoria – its dark, leathery emanations straddle the paradigm of sex and defines the allure of a mature woman that is in command of her sexuality.

Cuir de Russie is not for the neophant, it takes a seasoned nose to appreciate its smoldering notes and intense tobacco chords. I would not say it is a pretty fragrance, but burns into a refined luxury aromatic reminiscent of Connolly Leather and Burl Wood in a vintage Bentley Arnage, layered with fine cigars and sweetened by cognac.

There is a common top note thread between Chanel fragrances. Cuir de Russie is unmistakably Chanel. It shares top notes with No.5, the same sparkling dry Aldehydes, Citrus, Jasmine and Rose accords. That’s where the similarities end and the Russian dinner party begins. This fragrance is tailored for a specific type of women. This aristocratic perfume requires a dynamic presence and maturity that adorns her charisma to beguile.

Cuir de Russie feels a bit old fashioned but everything good has it renaissance. The fragrance drydown enfolds into rich Animalic notes of Dark Leather, Smoke and Musk. The heart expands with Tunisian Orange Blossom, Calabrian Bergamot, Sicilian Mandarin, Albanian Birchwood, Iris, Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Cedarwood, Vetiver, Amber and Vanilla.

Now I feel like I need a shot of frozen Stolichnaya to toast my Russian heritage. Nastrovia!

perfumeaficionado.com

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

As far as feminine leather perfumes go, this is as good as it gets. Smooth, classy, sophisticated and indulgent.

Cuir de Russie is very much saddle leather, resplendant with a metallic undertone, suggestive of buckles. It is a buttery smelling, firm, dry leather. Quite realistic.

Despite the profusion of florals listed in the notes, I cannot detect any real floraly florals lurking in here, it is pure leather and cool sweet tobacco leaf. I might concede some earthy, powdery iris but that is as far as I would go.

Does anyone know if the current EDT of Cuir de Russie still uses real Castoreum? While a lot of perfume wearing necessarily involves a good deal of self-delusion about the ingredients therein, I find castoreum to be a particulary disturbing concept.

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

My sister gave me this scent as part of a gift set almost 20 years ago. I was young and daring and LOVED it, I had the nerve to splash it on during the hot New York City summer! I wore it to bed, I sniffed the bottle constantly and kept asking my husband if he liked it (he refused to comment) eventually he broke down and told me the smell drove him nuts, and not in a good way--he absolutely hated it! Sadly, I gave the bottle away. Recently, my daughter and I smelled HdP's #1740 Marquis de Sade with its smokey-burnt leather (I liked that too) but I think Cuir de Russie is much more sophisticated.

slave for scents
slave for scents

this reminds me of leather and bondage. like a heady, heavy session of s&m. i can't help but be aroused by a woman who wears this. alas, very few do....

I'm another woman who this doesn't work for. It goes on bitter and dry, with notes almost of galbanum, green and sharp.The leather has been tanned with harsh chemicals they didn't get entirely off. For the first ten minutes, this is all I get, a harsh, chemical composition. Then some spice creeps in and a sensation of beeswax, which is much nicer and sweetens the whole thing just enough to mellow it out. In the end, it is still very organic and odd. Not for me. Try this before buying it because it's a strange one.

Sissi
Sissi

The scenerio Black and White themed Concert Salon Circa 1875 with Black Leather chairs white Marble fireplace
the eatherial glow of the Candelabras
A glass chandelier hanging from it's
Sistine like Angels from it's statly
celling Black vases with White Roses
and a black grand piano The concert
Pianist with it's black and white Tuxedo Playing
Chopin's Nocturne for Piano in C sharp minor. sitting amongist the audience
is a young woman no younger then 18
Slender with Long dark hair wearing A white Bustlle Gown Overcome with the music Tears sreamed down her long face
she quietly Leaves and slowly walked down it's hallways and comes to a room
with large framed windows and Snow is falling down she approches the window
slowly and gently opens the window and
with her long white Gloves touches the snow and realize that there life out there then getting married to a stuffy
old accountant or Baron who has been Married for 45 years and left a windower Going though Predicable
Social Hierarchy like that. she yearns
something for herself so out of the Blue got her black velvet cape and walked out of the gilded mansion and walked down the snow lined forest
And the rest Is History

This perfume is diffinly for brave Women.

Lady Venomtongue
Lady Venomtongue

what i can say that hasn't been already said ? i assume nothing .
a Beautiful elegant haunting leather / floral scent . for leather die hard fans out there , so mellow so realistic.
brilliant !!!

Leimomi
Leimomi

I've only tried the Vintage Extraits & I am hopelessly hooked! I never thought I'd like a leather & smoke scent! Come-on! What genius! First off it reminds me of my hubby's Harley & the sweet scent of his leather jacket & mysterious scents that waif from his garage & cling to him. The sweet Rose & Jasmine Incense is so heady & the vanilla dry-down to die-for! I salivate at the first whiff & am shaky at the knees. I am like an addict always looking for my next "fix"! I haunt e-bay sites searching for every drop just incase . . .

angel73
angel73

Beautiful perfume, so chic, so Chanel....
a leather with beautiful flowers...this one is the mind ,the heart and the style of Coco Chanel ..

Tarya
Tarya

I've been exploring leather scents recently, but this has been the worst I've tried. I don't know how they managed to get this result out of these notes, this smells dirty. Horrible. Be prepared for surprise with this one.

guest_M Schlesser
guest_M Schlesser

Cuir de Russie by Pivert was the best cuir fragrance ever formulated, before it was reformulated in the 90s

Mals86
Mals86

I tried this Chanel classic after finding out that I really like the floral-leather combination of Jolie Madame.

However, the opening smelled not of finished leather to me, but distinctly of barnyard. I live on a cattle farm, so I do have a real-life reference for that smell, with its manure-dirt-raw cowhide odor. I do not want to smell of barnyard, but I thought that if I could struggle through the opening, then that rich, elegant iris common to all of Chanel's classic fragrances would take over and bear me on its soft, powdery wings. Alas, the iris element that serves to smoothe and underpin the other classic Chanels, with their focuses on other notes, is musty and dusty on its own. I could not sense any other florals, although it may be that I was still too traumatized by the barnyard to notice them.

I begin to realize that iris-focused perfumes turn musty-basement on my skin, and other people have different experiences. If you can wear this one, lucky you.

harajukulovers
harajukulovers

Love this classic original x

ferrari
ferrari

Opened very similar to the Guerlain Chant D'Aromes, only added the skin. I can just say - it is elegance, it is gentle as a luxurious silk on the skin.
Thin leather handbag lying in a flowers field,on the cedar shade. Near sit a man and smoking.
Not sweet, but warm. It's perfect scent.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I managed to snag a 1/2 ounce of the Parfum at the Chanel boutique. I tried the old version of the EdT, before it was reformulated to even a sheerer version for their Exclusifs line. The old EdT was somehow too harsh and too brash for me to appreciate.

The parfum version of this fragrance is excellent, smooth, albeit rather animalic for many I think. But this is a leather scent! You can't deny what this scent is all about.

I've smelled other leather scents, but this one mimics the scent of leather without fault or flaw IMO. I'd like to look at the face of those who are into fruity-florals try a sniff of Cuir de Russie.

For those who can appreciate Cuir de Russie, but find it too animalic at times, they should try Arpege which is more restrained, but definitely carries sensual leather notes much like Cuir de Russie.

MoietToi
MoietToi

I would love to try it. I haven't seen Cuire de Ruisse around but it sounds like such an interesting scent that I must try it.

eskarina62
eskarina62

My second choice of next Chanel-must-have!
Never realized it was made almost a century ago!
The leatherly sensation is almost lost to me
The richness of sensations developing from a surprisingly fresh blend of florals into a more feminine jasmine-rosy blend interwined with the cedar whiff and a slight trace of vetiver - almost indiscernible among the variety of flowery scents, to rest on the warm flavour of vanilla and amber...
Lovely and mysterious!

veruska
veruska

i guess i like CDR as much as the other gal. I admire it, i recognise it as a masterpiece and the one that made eligible for a lady to wear wood and leather on her skin, but i don't need it often.So it's not a love affair but it's a good and rewarding acquittance.This is abstract leather with not much leather on it, still it reminds to many of us highly fragrant leather gloves by the rich vintage of a 30's lady.This starts with a classical orange blossom and it slowly becomes spicier with a smidge of carnation. Ther's also a deep grassy resiny cedar. As it dries down the warmth of vanilla envelopes the senses. A highly elegant scen that smells like diamonds and a old red pinot by the fireplace!

Carla
Carla

Love It! It's rare, very hard to find. The leather note tapers off to an exotic drydown. It's risky and a dab goes a long way, but on the right skin it's "class" in a bottle. One of Chanel's finest!

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

I was a little confused by the leather note at first. I had not tried very many 'leather' scents besides Bvlgari Black so I really didn't know what to make of it. I'm glad I gave it a chance, though, because it is a lovely perfume. All I can smell at first spray is leather and not so much any citrus notes. The perfume has excellent staying power and the vanilla and amber that stay on the skin are beautiful. I found myself sniffing my wrists all day the last time I wore it because it is an interesting perfume. I would suggest giving it a try if for no other reason than to try a rather unconventional and sexy scent.

guest_Belinda, Sydney, Australia
guest_Belinda, Sydney, Australia

I tested this today, quite a strong leathery start 'hits' you, then lightens out though still off putting, as it reminds me of wesring leather gloves, which would have been popular in the 1920's... I am not sure who this would appeal to today in 2008?!

newgabe
newgabe

Actually I don't like this. I thought I would, but I don't so much smell leather as a rather nasty horse.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel 4.17 out of 5 based on 396 ratings and 79 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Cuir de Russie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Cuir de Russie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Cuir de Russie by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Cuir de Russie by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.