Designers » C » Woody Spicy « Groups

dislike

I have it: 1208 I had it: 518 I want it: 1054 My signature: 59

cinnamon
Egoiste Chanel for men Videos

Egoïste is a very conservative masculine fragrance composed of spice, wood and vanilla notes. The top notes, intensive and fresh, include rosewood and coriander. Later on, the fragrance character becomes warmer and mysterious due to Bulgarian rose, carnation and warm cinnamon in its heart. The main theme of the composition (long and intensive woodsy trace) reaches its full expression in the lingering base composed of sandalwood, intensive vanilla and ambrette seeds. The perfume was created in 1990. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Polge.

Mahogany Sicilian Mandarin Brazilian Rosewood Coriander

Sandalwood Cologne

Egoiste Fragrance Reviews

abdul hammad
abdul hammad

WOW! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE.

This smells very delicious and elegant, like "rose-ginger" tea sweetened by honey instead of sugar.

I have always found rose based fragrances to be very feminine
for a man to wear, but in this composition rose is subtle and together with the spices it perfectly creates a suave and masculine effect.

Sillage: 7/10

YUMMY! NICE STUFF

patxaran
patxaran

Every time I wear this I go through the same process: pfew (slapped across face by turbulence of those topnotes.. thinking WTF do I really like this?) - ok this reminds me of something (some bizzare note appears that in its worst form resembles vomit...should I be looking for an oxygen mask) - hang on that's niiiiiiiiice (puke note has morphed into background spiciness) - ahaa (landing gear is deployed.. anticipation of adventure and pleasure). Well, long cheesy stort cut short, the opening is an acquired taste but the reward is magnificent - flight time less than an hour. Arrival in paradise. I find it so hard to describe the notes in Egoiste. On my skin, it is the most remarkable unisex composition, especially after the 1st hour. Wood, spices, leather and I can't stop thinking that this is Jicky's bad cousin. Real real bad and totally genderless. No lavender here, this is for sleepless nights and forbidden encounters ;-)
(Review for reformulated EDT, bought in mainland Europe 2014)

MysteryBuff
MysteryBuff

All this praise for Egoiste being so original. Has nobody smelled Old Spice? Egoiste seems like a modern version of Old Spice done with very high quality ingredients and less sweetness. You don't believe me? Look at the notes. Very similar construction. This strikes me as a unisex fragrance with a nice vanilla powder dry down. A comfort scent. Best suited for autumn and winter.

yourfriendmarito

A lot has been said regarding the vintage formula and the Concentree formula that are sadly discontinued. I recall these old formula from 20 years ago. In my recollection, vintage egoiste was fruity (peach?). It was very strong... too strong. My brother in law used to wear it.

I recently buy the new formulation. It is still Egoiste but it is a bit drier. I do not smell the fruit in it.

SCOOP: I have bought all the products from the line on strawberrynet. The associated products (deodorant aftershave cream, liquid aftershave and bath gel). I prefer these products over the eau de toilette and they are closer to the old formula. They smell better. The aftershave is stronger than the Eau de Toilette, is very fruity and last all day. The deodorant smells exactly like my recollection of vintage Egoiste, it is VERY STRONG. I will not buy another Egoiste Eau de toilette bottle when mine is empty, I will continue to buy the aftershave and deodorant. To me, it is like if they have reformulated the EDT but did not change the other products of the line...

Jacques Polge said that Egoiste was his favourite creation and I understand why. Jacques Polge was asked by a journalist if one should take a shower before or after sex. JP answered -After sex, of course! I believe that he was thinking about Egoiste. It is ahanting scent that your lover will associate with you as your own scent. Egoiste will be a part of the intimacy that you share with your spouse. a true romantic/erotic gem.

K1
K1

Autumn is already come, weather is getting cold, trees are giving up to the power of the monarch of seasons and me walking with Egoist on my wrist: nostalgic and lovesome, shift my path through lonely streets where I only hear my steps.
Egoist is warm, highly welcoming and highly romantic and dreamy. The rose in Egoist takes the best participation ever, with sandalwood and tobacco and cinnamon it performs like never done before. No matter how many tobacco perfumes are out there in markets, Egoist is seriously one of a kind.

fuzzybutt59
fuzzybutt59

This seems to be discontinued in the UK and replaced by the feeble Egoiste Platinum.
However Egoiste original is widely available in Europe and online.
An amazing fragrance,like sex in a bottle.
When I wear this I get compliments from both wome& men!

Have_some_scents
Have_some_scents

I got a 4 ml sample of this through Ebay from a very reputable seller in France, so I don't doubt its authenticity. However, maybe it has deteriorated a bit because my sample is very weak. I just get the rose note at the top, followed by tobacco, and then they mingle for a bit. Not long after, it practically disappears. Not sure what about that harsh opening is that many people mention. Anyway, the top notes alone make it interesting enough to make me want to head to the recently opened Nordstrom here and sample a fresh bottle in hopes of experiencing that dry down many rave about.

Ewanmacteagle
Ewanmacteagle

After mulling it over for a while, I decided to finally order a bottle from Nordstrom. I have to say, while it is very pleasant, that's about all I can say. There really isn't anything standoutish about it. A nice warm spicy start that gives way to light rose and geranium and settles into a deep woody base. Creamy sandlewood and sweet tobacco are present throuought. Very dry and flat smelling. I was hoping this would be a new go-to for the winter months, but I think I will be sticking with Burberry London, Hanae Mori HiM, Versace Eros or L'eau d'Issey Intense.

Bunino

I'm still pretty pissed about having smelled this after smelling all of the spice bomb style Egoiste clones of the past decade or so.. completely ruined Egoiste for me. Bah.

Like I said before, the only way I can describe it is when something is so influential and copied that if it fails to reinvent itself it becomes just another face among clones.. perfumes and musicians come to mind specifically in this sense.

that's unfortunately Egoiste for me. Still.

Big.Bello
Big.Bello

Current version poor longevity as cologne and synthetic scent 5/10
old version 10/10

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

I don't get it...
Smells nice, in the way a Pier 1 scented candle does.
I get a tame sandalwood and a little florals/fruit to counterbalance.
Like I said, not bad, but why is this considered a legend?

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

I can add nothing new about this Classic fragrance other than to say I am wearing it tonight and love it! Although I have Bois des Isles and Trumper Sandalwood (two other outstanding sandalwood-laden fragrances), Egoiste is clearly my winner: more masculine than Bois des Isles and better quality/performance than Trumper. Egoiste is just a gorgeous scent and two thumbs-up in my world.

Nuhgwin

WELL... I LOVE IT. Beautiful cinnamon, vanilla and rose mix. If you can get your nose on this- Beware of the first sniff, it will surprise you. Once it settles down, it is AMAZING.

Nuhgwin

@Jose Marcos I hope so, because I'd hate to be the only one who isn't smelling this right after seeing all the praise for it. Now I can't wait for my bottle to arrive!

Jose Marcos

Really bad tester. You may not like it but Egoiste is one of the most pleasant smells in this World. Only Bois des Îles is better.

Nuhgwin

What age would this fragrance be generally for? I sprayed this on at a perfume shop in Toronto and it overpowered my nostrils in an uncomfortable manner. I'm hoping it's just a bad tester because the notes look like something I'd love. I'm 18 by the way...

silentman26
silentman26

Pure but seductive. A high quality perfume with strong sillage and great longevity. A masculine scent with leather and tobacco. With roses, carnations, cinammon and vanilla. Just love this perfume.

LanceDior
LanceDior

THIS IS SEDUCTION IN A BOTTLE. The smell is somewhere between opium and obsession, but much finer quality than either. It has this glorious rosé accord which reminds me of cuir de Russie. It is a suave, smooth, sexy unique scent that suits someone who knows how sexy they are. It's a mix of old fashioned and modern (as many have said) an this gives it a magical timeless quality. Silage and longevity are nice too. People have told me its present but not overbearing, and that's what I like to hear. 12/10!!!

Nuhgwin

Judging from the large following from this "classic" scent, I've made a purchase through eBay of what is listed as the Vintage Egoiste 50mL brand new bottle without any hesitation. I found the list of notes on this fragrance as quite unique, cinnamon, sandalwood, rose, vanilla, AND TOBACCO? My goodness, I can't wait to get my nose on this epic blind purchase. Updated review soon to come.

DULAC de La Clauze
DULAC de La Clauze

I was fortunate to be brought-up in the care of a privileged family; I was perfumed as far back as I can remember (perfumed children are not a recent phenomenon or a trend, like some would imagine). Finally, came a birthday when I got to ''choose'' and I abandoned the Victorian era-esque soapy fresh lemony scents that until then where selected as the best and the most appropriate for me.
This is when my relationship with ÉGOISTE began.

I had to be turning 11 or 12 years old. Hence, I was adamantly discouraged by the Chanel representative. However, instructing any teenager with ''what is and isn't right for them'' is a terrible strategy ...

As ÉGOISTE opened up, my youthful skin brought forth the damask rose in quantities! a untamed nature and fully assumed eroticism. Immediately supported by a invigorating but regrettably volatile burst of Sicilian mandarin––just like a shooting star! Then, a very spicy and honeyed, or rather caramelised, cinnamon takes centre stage in tandem with carnation. And as it progresses, the elegant combination of a rugged and "brooding" vanilla, with the bitter and creamy accords of sandalwood, mahogany, rosewood, and finally licorice-root, all wrapped in leather.

The experience was nothing short of visceral.

There even was a almost faecal quality to the dry down, that I couldn't possibly explain to myself at the time, but that I now knowingly associate with anal sex––at the risk of offending.

Jacque Polge brought something very special into existence, that like its given name suggests, is incapable of inspiring lukewarm feelings. Be that as it may, it is not the power-house we are led to believe; this Nectar never comes across as vulgar.

Perhaps ÉGOISTE is being misunderstood?

On this day, ÉGOISTE became my invisible partner-in-crime. In these primitive times, neither daring nor quite bleak, plagued by half-measures and compromises––In the perfume industry these words resonate with the Trinity of "fresh, clean and safe"––it is the antithesis. It is the antidote. It is unpredictable, not "safe".

I will finish on a infamous note, boasting that a Man must also remember to be "selfish" in order to give great pleasure (...).

Marciu

I don't know how come I haven't reviewed Egoiste yet...

This is a classic and I don't mean it by the year it has been created in. Actually it was Chanel's entry to the world of men gourmand fragrances.

On my skin Egoiste is full of contrasts. It's soft and spicy, it's sharp and mild (or even cozy), it's masculine but again women can pull it off. I detect mainly rosewood, tobacco, cinnamon, vanilla, rose (this is done really gorgeous here!) and sandalwood.

Longevity is about 6 hours (a little dissapointment), sillage is good for 4 hours.

I love it and I think I've grown up to buy a full bottle - I had same experience with Platinum Egoiste (which is a totally different beast btw).

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

A sorcerer potion of sandalwood, bulgarian rose, ambrette seeds, resewood, vanila and coriander is Mr. Jacques Polge proudest work - the most exquisite and original fragrance based on wood essences. Of all known men perfumes is by far the best for cold seasons.
Update:
Chanel Egoiste Aftershave is even better than EDT !!!!
Longevity: 16 h
Projection High
Repurchase: Yes

Budman
Budman

I used to do a lot of electronics soldering as a kid. This fragrance is, to me, the unmistakable scent of the smoke that you get in your face while soldering. A burning resin and lead smell. So that association immediately ruined this classic for me. Ick. Would not want to smell like that.

sandi tri
sandi tri

Saya beli 2nd di salah satu member perfume di salah satu forum.
Dapet edisi vintage nya kayaknya.

Kesan pertama pas spray adalah...

Hueeeeekkk !! Mirip minyak urut dan bau ustad2 pas mau sholat !!!

Saya kuatir salah beli... pelan tapi pasti, saya semakin suka sama Egoiste. Kalo menurut saya, wangi nya ngangenin, mau dipake terus tapi sayang. Biasanya saya pakai ini kalo mau tidur saja dan di waktu tertentu.

vserdar
vserdar

The old version was excellent.Later they produced replicas of this scent such as costume national homme and gucci 2.
But this one was better than all

kidkidblau
kidkidblau

IMO:

New version
Projection: 05/10

Vintage (pre middle of 90s)

aditya123
aditya123

Very exquisite , long lasting rosewood and Sandalwood :)

FTW Nose
FTW Nose

I have an old batch and it is a great performer. I still don't know when to wear it though as it is fairly in your face and to my nose a bit of a paradox. When I am in the mood for it, it never lets me down.

My Score: 7

byrum.tzn
byrum.tzn

Chanel Egoiste, where to start? It’s not like anything i usually go for in perfumes; I like tuberose scents, think fracas, michael kors, beyond love.

WOW. this was my first chanel men's scent when i was only 9, which i begged my mother for around 2000, fast forward a few years and it was totally gone from everywhere in the uk. I was on holiday in the canary islands, puerto rico, in around 2004 and i picked up a bottle of egoiste and the spray deodorant from duty free. i was in love all over again!

Fast forward again a few years later, and egoiste is back in the uk! I'm disappointed because it's not the same, longevity is really rubbish on me, sillage is almost none exhistent, even my vintage egoiste spray deoderant is stronger than this!? But because i love egoiste I’m willing to take it as it still has the same scent, not as rich, Smokey, warm and spicy but definitely still warm and spicy sandalwood and vanilla. I'm just happy i have it around atleast even if it means i have to use up half the damn bottle to smell it throughout the day.

New version
Projection: 05/10

Vintage

Pascal

Such a singular, complex and rich fragrance.
The more I learn about perfumes, the more I get in Egoiste: The compelling bouquet de Provence (lanvender, thyme etc.), the balsams, the dry vanilla base. What a comfortable thing to wear.
What a great quality - so long lasting and generous.
Tried the moistourizer recently, and there it is again: Excellent quality all around.
Please keep on making this amazing scent.

yourfriendmarito

I am a fan. I love wearing this. It has been reintroduced recently in the American market. Unfortunately, the associated products are not available. I see a lot of similarities with Creed Vanisia.

Current regular Egoiste version smells so so, compared to the version that I reviewed before.
The ad always makes me LOL

Niels87
Niels87

This is one of the best fragrances ever created. It's masculine yet soft. It's deep and rich, and keeps getting better the longer you wear it.
The first hour it's okay, but once it settles down the real scent comes out. The cinnamon and sandelwood stand out and give off a very nice warm smell.
It's perfect for the winter, but for some reason I can really see someone wearing this on a warm summers night. Especially if you're a little tanned.

This fragrance also brings back some memories for me. When I was younger (maybe like 6-8 years old), a friends dad used to wear this, maybe a few years after it got out. So whenever I was over at his house, I use to smell this fragrance around. Now it reminds me of my childhood and instantly gives me flashbacks to 'the good old days'. Especially when the dry down sets in, it brings me right back.

Projection: 9/10

SabrinaBD
SabrinaBD

When Egoiste was first released, I loved it so much I bought a bottle for my self and wore it daily. It wasn't too masculine on my skin, but did smell serious, rich, spicy and was a nice transition from light, girly florals. Funny thing was, men complimente me on the scent as much as women.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

1990

- Nelson Mandela was released
- Germany was reunified

.........and Chanel Egoiste was launched

This is a landmark fragrance in my books. 24 years later, this is still as novel, beautiful and as counter-cultural as it has ever been. It is a bold, complex, gorgeous and lavish scent that rightly makes it the icon it is.

rainingroses
rainingroses

I first smelled this on my then-boyfriend's best friend (this was in 92 or 93, I believe). It was glorious. I asked my then-bf to buy some for himself, but he was totally content with owning one fragrance (Brut - which smelled good, but no way near as good as Egoiste), to him, the thought of having two different fragrances was madness. (He was a lovely man but we were obviously very different people...)

So I bought a bottle for myself. This was the first - but not the last - time I bought a men's fragrance for myself, and I was only a teen back then so it felt kind of weird at first. Like I was going to get arrested by the perfume police for not wearing the "right" fragrance. But I loved it so much, I did not care.

This is so warm and spicy. I do smell a lot of sandalwood and cinnamon (like most people, according to the votes), but also tobacco and amber, making it smoky yet smooth and with a certain sweetness. The carnation is also very obvious on my skin, which adds to the sweeter spicyness.

I certainly do not think this is a conservative fragrance at all. Sophisticated, yes, but conservative, no. It's very sensual.

I wear this in the colder months with a light hand. It's fabulous!

Jamie1983
Jamie1983

Jacques Polge will be stepping down as Chanel in House Parfumer this year. I really think he should add Egoiste Cologne Contree to the les exclusiv line before he goes.... How good would that be!!!! I have vintage L'Egoiste, vintage Egoiste and current Egoiste. I love them all but have still to smell Egoiste Cologne Contree. So many people love Egoiste it's a shame we will never be able to get our noses on the highly acclaimed fragrance.
Jacques Polge, if your listening..... :'(

nero77
nero77

Jacques Polge's proudest achievement.

Chanel Égoïste is a fragrance that is really special, it really doesn't smell anything like 80-90% of male designer fragrances out there. I believe that if this were released today it would be considered niche, and cost perhaps up to twice as much as what it does. I would go as far as to say that this is a masterpiece of male perfumery, probably the most confidant, mature and elegant masculine release of the last generation, and one of the greatest perfumes for men of any time, whether considered niche or designer.

Égoïste is the embodiment of a confidant, masculine, spicy oriental, and Chanel perfumer Jacques Polge (who has done every Chanel perfume since 1981) has called this his proudest work. I can see why. This fragrance doesn't remind you of anything else advertised for men out there. It's the complete opposite of the generic, sterile-clean aquatic releases which have almost saturated the designer market today. It is rich, deep, elegant, strong, confidant. It makes a statement of quiet confidence and assured masculinity. It's really for the man who is strong and assured yet who is loved by all. The strong man with a kind personality, I would call it.

The story goes that this was a fragrance meant for the Chanel CEO at the time, as a private scent for him. Later, they released it to the public. It didn't sell, because the majority of people like to buy fragrances which remind them of other fragrances (just look at the aquatic craze of the last 20 years). Chanel Égoïste smelt nothing like anything else at the time. Nevertheless it survived, and even today still has the same effect.

Jacques Polge based the composition on Chanel's "Bois des Iles", a heavy sandalwood-based fragrance released 5 years after the famous No. 5. Égoïste is also centred around creamy sandalwood, which is surrounded by spices: Cloves, Cinnamon, Coriander. It also has a beautiful rosewood note which is joined by real, natural smelling Rose, and sharp Carnation in the middle (this is what some have called the "dated" aspect of the fragrance); before finally drying down to a wonderfully warm and creamy Vanilla-Amber-Sandalwood base. I find it very similar to Coco, which he made for women 6 years previously, except a lot more woodier, spicier, and overall more masculine.

It's absolutely beautiful, but very hard to appreciate because it doesn't smell like many of today's popular releases, and for many people, this will either be love or hate. It's warm, bold, spicy... and it takes confidence to wear. If I had to compare it to anything, it would probably be Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur" which is a deep, spicy and sensual fragrance but marketed as niche.

Chanel Égoïste might not be for everyone, it takes an amount of confidence and maturity to pull it off (it would also work very well on a woman I think), but it really is a special journey... and a complex one at that. I have a real feeling that 70-80% of people will love this (women especially on a man). It's warm and inviting, but also confidant and relaxed at the same time. Like stroking the warm, beautiful fur of an exotic, tame pet tiger...

I hope that Jacques Polge's proudest creation stands as a testament to all that is possible with male marketed perfume, and show that not all male fragrances have to smell the same or conform to the same standard set by others. I hope that this classic will always be there as a reminder that men can wear something created for them which is just as complex and beautiful as anything made for women; and to also prove that men can give off an aura of being strong, confidant, warm and gentle simultaneously. Nothing more can be said of Égoïste. Well done!

gallian
gallian

I purchased two vintage, and a current Egoiste. Well, the vintage is round, strong as E. Concentree, alive, full of natural scents, sandalwood, resin (Labdanum)? Opulent.
The current version is still nice but it looks like the light version is lighter and much less natural, and smells of sandalwood cheap, synthetic.

Vintage 10/10
Current version 7/10

Spicebomb? is worth nothing compared to this stuff.

Merdogan1
Merdogan1

Kesinlikle erkeksi bir koku. Çok genç ve ergen işi değil. Şahsen klasik giyinen orta yaş ve üstü erkeklere yakıştırıyorum. Tarçın kokusu ağırlıklı. Şansıma Türkiye'den online olarak aldığım bir siteden ik çıkan versiyonunun spreyi olmayan dökme şişesi geldi. Baştan çok keskin geldi ama sadece 1 hafta içinde aşık oldum. Vintage versiyonu elime geçtiğinden kullanmaya kıyamıyorum. Özellikle genç kızlar ilk kokladığında burun kıvırıyor ancak alışınca onlar da çok beğeniyor. Kesinlikle erkeksi ve seksi ama baymayan bir koku. En başta dediğim gibi ergen yaşlara uygun değil. Yine de kalitesi çok yüksek. Kullanmaya kıyamadığım bir kokusu var.

Chanel'in tüm ürünleri gibi fiyatı yüksek ama sonuna kadar hakediyor. Garip bir şekilde Chanel'in ürünlerini taklit eden tüm markalarda "eh işte biraz benziyor" diyebileceğim kadar yaklaşabiliyor ama asla orjiinaline yaklaşamıyor. O yüzden kesinlikle gerçek Chanel ürünlerini kullanmadan taklitleri üzerinden fikirleriniz oluşmasın. Gerçi Dior, Chanel, Hermes, Kilian, Amuage, Creed, Serge Lutens, Caron, Versace, Paco Rabbane, Shiseido, Gucci, YSL ve şu anda aklıma gelmeyen pek çok dünya çapındaki markanın Türkiye'deki taklit ürünlerini üreten pek çok firmanın ürünlerinde aynı kalite ve derinlik kesinlikle yok. O bakımdan taklit ürünlerin kullanımını şiddetle önermiyorum. Ancak orijinal parfümlerinin üzerine kuvvetlendirmek adına belki kullanılabilir.

Neyse sonuçta en azından elimdeki Egoist üzerinden yapabileceğim yorum kesinlikle en az yarım gün kalıcı, farkedilirliği ortalamanın az üstünde, harmanı çok kaliteli gelen ama ergenlere göre olmayan erkeksi bir parfümdür. Genç kızlar baştan beğenmez ama zaten dediğim gibi ergen işi değil. Yine de çok hoşuma giden bir kokusu var.

Not : Yorumlarımı ve özel mesajlarıma cevaplarımı sadece Türkçe olarak yapacağım. Böylece yabancı dil konusunda sıkıntı yaşayan arkadaşlara gerçekten denediğim parfümlerdeki kendi görüşlerimi paylaşmayı amaçlıyorum.

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

It's very interesting to know that Égoïste is the French word for `selfish`... This classical masterpiece of a Male perfume from the astounding perfume house of Chanel is so overtly breathtaking, the opening, heart, and especially that Tobacco drydown, that the wearer really doesn't give a hoot what others` personal opinions are about this phenomenal perfume, although I can only imagine that others around the wearer are thoroughly enjoying the floral and warm, musky, woody and spicy sillage trails, hence the properly appointed name... Égoïste.

The entire composition of Égoïste is focused solely around the rare and highly difficult to harvest, gorgeous, musky and animalic note of Ambrette Seed, derived from the delicate and beautiful Hibiscus Flower, which is native to India, and the harvest times are but a miniscule window, in the realm somewhere of a few weeks annually, and strangely enough, Fragrantica does not list this note in the scent pyramid above, and this is the strongest note that dominates this perfume throughout it's entire lifespan, from opening, to heart, and well into the far drydown. Outside of the overpowering facets from Ambrette Seed, this is a beautiful Red Rose perfume as well, which is supported at it's base by Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Brazilian Rosewood, Tobacco and Vanilla. This is the closest perfume to Chanel`s Les Exclusifs No.18 as one can possibly get, and is focused exclusively around Ambrette Seed as well. This is the strangest smelling Male perfume that I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in my life, and as Égoïste drys down, it just progressively gets better and better where the far drydown is simply Ambrette Seed and Tobacco... Very dark and cozy warm, and quite breathtaking. The lasting power is excellent, 12+, and sillage is just right... Never blowing doors off of their hinges, but just enough olfactory teasing to confuse everyone around you, because that Ambrette Seed is the weirdest, but most beautiful note imaginable. I cannot even begin to put into words what it smells like, which is why I have such a strong love affair with No. 18. Égoïste is a high quality perfume that smells very natural and very strange, has an über niche quality, can definitely be worn by a Woman, and is the furthest thing from smelling like it debuted in 1990... Worth every penny.

Bunino

I suppose being 30 has worked against me in that I was exposed to substandard "spicy woods" cinnamon heavy scents such as Gucci II, Spicebomb and HiM much longer before having smelled the original "Spice bomb" known as Egoiste.

Given that my nose has already smelled these newer, somewhat disappointing fragrances that are clearly trying to rip off Egoiste's creamy, cinnamon style, I'm left with mixed feelings about Egoiste.

Sometimes when a thing is so perfect the whole world tries to imitate it.. and sometimes imitates it so much that we forget about the beauty of the original.

I have clearly seemed to have spoiled my nose on substandard cinnamon scents so much so that Egoiste itself seems generic.

Heartbreaking/10

del
del

I fell in love with the current formulation of Egoiste the first time I smelled it. The initial blast might be a little harsh or “edgy” to some, but it only lasts for a short time. The overall scent is smooth & warm, spicy & sweet, and woody… the complexity of rose, cinnamon, vanilla, and sandalwood creates a well-blended creaminess of Egoiste. It is top notch. Egoiste has a lasting power on my skin with decent projection after that brief, strong opening.

Chanel Egoiste is a unique masterpiece – a fantastic fragrance I can’t be without.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This was the first of its ilk that I had encountered, and I was pertty blown away. Very sweet, slightly creamy wood with a bit of something like horehound or sarsaparilla. It strangely reminds me of bubble gum rather than root beer, but it's only got a little bit in there and it mostly goes away. Now, smelling it again, it makes me think of wintergreen too much...I don't remember this from before, but it may be because my decant is losing solvent and the juice is now more concentrated. Later, when I discovered Trumper's Sandalwood, that seemed like the logical replacement because the Trumper's doesn't have the sharp edges that I gradually discovered with Egoiste. It's still good, but I'm not sure I'll replace my dying decant. I might even argue that AOS Sandalwood would fit the bill as well, even though the smell isn't actually that close. (Or the cheapo Coty Wild Spice, but don't tell anyone!)

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

Wow, that intoxicating rich spice/tobacco drydown. Just wow. It's the burled-wood-interior Bentley to Spicebomb's IROC Z.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

The first time I sprayed Egoïste I was hesitant. It is quite heavy, smoky and very dense in the opening. I was also looking for a fresher rose, something like the rose in Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier. This rose is deep, rich and velvety. More of a rose impression, than an actual rose.
But the drydown stunned me: tobacco, rose, sandalwood and leather, blended to perfection to create the smoothest, softest texture imaginable.
And I came back to my sample, spraying a single time on my hand, daily, like some drug.
And naturally I came to love the opening as well, with its rich spiced stewed fruit, candied mandarin peels and cherry tobacco.
If Egoïste was a color, it would be a deep wine red, almost black, with a hint of purple.

Egoïste changes on my skin: sometimes the leather is the most prominent note, sometimes the tobacco and woods, but always there is a smooth velvety blanket of rose that wraps around the whole blend.

I gave it to my boyfriend to smell, but he found it too heavy and too old for him. ("One day, when I'm 40 and I wear a suit, I'll wear it for you")
He's right, except that Egoïste isn't too old for him, he's too young for Egoïste. I'm both happy and sad for that. Sad because I thought it smelled absolutely wonderful on him, happy because now I can buy a bottle for myself!

Mortazuma
Mortazuma

It has been a long time since I've indulged in this scent but it is always lovely to jog the memory a bit and recall those moments where you became intrigued and captivated by certain fragrances. I remember when this launched, it was a fragrance that gave me the impression of the kind of man that was confident, unapologetic, fiery, authoritative, Dionysian and much like the fragrance, deliciously complex and spicy.

I certainly wouldn't called this fragrance conservative by ANY means. That kind of description would suit Pour Monsieur. Egoïste didn't CARE if it invaded your private space, it was making its presence KNOWN as if to say "No, you never smelled something like this before, so seize this opportunity". And there I was, all of 16 years old sniffing the sample page in my Mom's old Cosmopolitan magazine like some curious cat unsure of what to make of this unique scent. But, as the years passed and I entered my 20's, I came to like it and associated it with successful early 30's men that displayed the aforementioned characteristics and came pretty damn close to getting this good girl into trouble.

Naughty devils all of Ye! But why you gotta smell so GOOD? MMmm Mmm. If I had to pick a song for this frag, it would be "Love is a stranger" by the Eurythmics. I'll leave the rest to your imaginations.

Jay T
Jay T

J'ai adoré le bois dans ce. Il est très poudreuse, la rose vient par joliment. Mon amie l'aime et je ne serais pas surpris si elle le porte.

ÉDIT
Pour mon deuxième temps portant cette, j'ai eu frappé par combien de ça sent comme "$1 Million". Il est un bon scent mais il finit beaucoup comme de autre parfumes. Volutes, Chergui, the Dreamer, Odin 11 etc...

MickeyB
MickeyB

Ordered from Chanel.com by accident. I meant to order platinum but somehow messed up. I was pretty mad since I spent about $90 on the wrong thing. Luckily Chanel has a return policy with free return shipping, but I thought I might as well try it before I send it back. I'm happy I did, I love it. Very few fragrances I like right away but this was one of the few. I would certainly recommend trying this one.

Pusteblumchen
Pusteblumchen

I'm a woman. I wear male perfumes too. Always had one to scape from the female ones when my nose couldn't stand them... It works a lot! It's refreshing and, exactly, exquisite...

I gave egoïste to my son last Christmas. I was on all fours after smelling the wonderful scent when he first used it. He just said "bye mum" and I was there sitting on the sofa and experiencing all that fireworks of flavors! Blowed my mind and I said to myself "that's the one". It's my first new male perfume afters years!! Until today I only used "aqua brasilis" or "quasar" both from Boricario.

I simply can't explain the composition because its so unique I still can't figure it out logically. There's a scent that opens at first that I can't order, it's magical. It's not powdery and it's not citric as well. It's FRESH. The perfume develops itself together with your own body chemistry which means I can't get the magical result as on my son but Im happy with the result on me.

I wear it when I want to feel unique and in fact egoïste!

EauSensuelle
EauSensuelle

Egoiste by Chanel is full of wow. Hell, you can still add more wow as praise for this fragrance, and it still would be an understatement.

By any means, I don't think Egoiste is in any way a "conservative" fragrance. It's full of innovation and creativity. Sure, the opening is a tad tart, but waiting for a few minutes does not hurt anyone. This tartness vanishes soon to reveal a mysterious rose-cinnamon accord. This accord pulls your nose towards it and keeps it there; this is the fragrance personifying that mysterious character which every woman looks for in a man.

The middle entrenches into the depth of the soft velvety rose, which is as beautiful, dewy and sparkling as water droplets on grass on a fresh winter morning. The rose, although widely acclaimed by many as being the 'Queen of Flowers', reveals its rather spiky thorns in this fragrance; which are wonderfully blended with the green citrus and addicting cinnamon. A hint of something resembling cardamom adds a hint of freshness to this fragrance. All in all, this fragrance exudes both class and character.

The base warms the fervent sniffer with its curious sandalwood-musk nuance, which softly caresses the already deepening rose, cinnamon, cardamom and citrus. At this point, to my nose, the potency of this fragrance increases dramatically, and, if possible, it becomes even more alluring.

Egoiste is the fragrance which has both; the power to be unique and imaginative and also powerful and capturing; at the same time. A definite try, if not a buy, in my opinion. But beware, this fragrance may lure you into buying it, despite its rather high price, which can easily be justified for the proficiency, quality and creativity of the fragrance.

dubairob
dubairob

A very beautiful, masterful fragrance which shows Jacques Polge at the top of his game.

What you get from this fragrance is a lovely, creamy, rosy sandalwood that lasts a good duration (6-7 hours on my skin) with all the projection you could want for such a mannered and sophisticated scent. It has a touch of spiciness which never gets in the way of this being essentially a rose and woods fragrance. The vanilla is there but to me it is discreet and supportive. What is undeniable through all of this is the quality of the materials used - probably the best in any Chanel men's fragrance that I have experienced - and this gives some sense that you are getting value for money (if that is an issue).

Although this is categorized as a woody spicy fragrance, I get a lot of commonality with a well-revered oriental woody fragrance, Zino Davidoff. Both have rose, Brazilian rosewood, sandalwood and vanilla as major notes. However, Egoiste's cinnamon and tobacco take it in a different direction - while Zino's heavy use patchouli and lavender suggests a more usual masculine vibe. Ultimately, neither could replace the other and each has its own beauty and value.

All said, Egoiste is a wonderful fragrance for both day and night wear in the Autumn and Winter. It could be worn lightly for a professional setting and more fully for evenings. I would be careful with the sprayer on this one, however, as it may get a bit 'perfumey' if you apply too much.

Highly recommended - especially for a gentleman who is not afraid of the roses....

Rodri
Rodri

An odd thing happened to me. I went to the store looking for a cologne called Egoiste by Chanel. The lady told me I could sample it, so put some on my wrist and noticed the name was Platinum Egoiste. The first minute was so-so. I left wishing to find something better. And I did, since every minute the sample I had tried got better and better! The next day I went back to get Platinum Egoiste! And it so happens they had Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste. I decided to try Egosite on my wrist. My first reaction was "Augh –too strong!" So I left with Platinum Egoiste in a bag, and with the sample of Egoiste on my wrist. And it so happens that as minutes went by, my wrist smelled like a wonderful blast! The next day I went back to get Egoiste!
Now these two quite different amazing fragrances are having a battle each day. In the morning I try one, but by the afternoon I miss the other one. They are both amazing! Two worlds apart on one skin at different times! Great fun!
Today I went to a shopping mall and an attractive not young lady walked past me in the opposite direction. I walked still a block-distance before I got inside a store. The next thing I know the lady is right behind me! I mean she was walking in exactly the opposite direction than I was!!! And I'm thinking "Interesting". Don't ask me which of the two -E or PE- did the trick because I don't recall which one I was using at that time. They are driving me crazy!

Daniel.Friedrich42
Daniel.Friedrich42

One of my absolute favorites in my collection. Gets a lot of wearings in the cooler months.

It starts off with a Punch to the nose. Cardamon, mandarin and rosewood all at once. Can be off-putting to some people but i love it.

In the heart this becomes a very cinnamony rose with sandalwood shining through from the base. For me the cinnamon stays around almost the full wearing but for most other people it leaves earlier.

Once it dries down completely it sometimes bounces around quite a bit on my skin. Sometimes i get a more amber/vanilla feeling, sometimes more sandalwood, sometimes more of a tobacco vibe. I love all these notes so it keeps me guessing and entertained.

The overall feeling of the scent is very dry,spicy, dark and more on the mature side of thing. The citrus and florals here are supporting cast not in the limelight.

It lasts a good 10-12 hours on my skin and projects about 5-6 feet. Not a monstrous powerhouse but great performance.

Imo a modern day masterpiece and something every man should put his nose to at least once

p.s. the dried-fruit accord Dan Mish (mymickers) talks about in his youtube review is definitely there but for me it only really comes out when the fragrance seeps through clothes. Never get it on skin alone

Ronson9
Ronson9

I bought Egoiste vintage, well, it's a very different scent, very full, much richer and more intense. I believe that the current version is good. But the vintage version is much better: fantastic and superb.

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

Smells like the tea Mélange de Chamonix: (black tea, cocoa, cardamom pods, cinnamon) from Upton Tea Imports. I definately get some sort of cardamom-chocolate thing going on here. The rose is curled in at the tail end of the sniff. Unique, warm, and royal. Lives up to its reputation.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

One of the best scents created EVER! Chanel Egoiste has a royal aura. It's such an elegant and sophisticated scent, that it smells absolutely divine. In my oppinion, the best designer scent created in company with Antaeus and Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Sillage: 10
Longevity: 10
Scent: 10

Points: 10/10.

suhaesa
suhaesa

hmmmmmmmmmmmm....wonderful..spicy..woodsy..can easily be a unisex..this is about the new formulations..sandalwood lathery..cinnamon cloves..woods..tobacco..even rose and carnation all in a mens perfumes..its dry ..dont get me wrong its a masculine sent not sweet or cloying or utterly flowery its a dry crisp strong confident oriental ..utterly sandelwoody with a white woodsy spicy siness..
a wintery night out a imagine a handsome older gentleman in a tux coming out of a bentley smoking cigar..egoist is fit for those with a super ego...i personally find it a bit too suffocating to live with a man wearing egoist all the time i'd rather be with someone wearing egoist platinum which has a silvery auara to it ..
its unmistakably chanel..the sophistication..the woods white woods..the mischievous hidden subtle seductiveness..the allure..the uniquness under a universal umbrella of the guy next door..approachable yet highly secluded..vvip...
i am doing this review after spraying it in my hands so its coming from a female ..i remember smelling it on men and it used to smell so much more deeper more profound and richer..
the dry down is utterly woody sandelwoody but not the cloying sweet sandalwood its more of mahogany vetivery..white woods..a litlle ambery and alot of fine spice is not an incense bomb but rather a sophisticated well made clean modern oriental..for a real gentleman..

andronicos
andronicos

It starts with a burst of wooods and spices. Woods add a sense of sensuality and spices make this perfume sexy not in a boyish way but in a gentleman's way. Then, rose appears and makes the composition sweeter and not as aggressive as it was earlier. It ends with a smoky-leathery-powdery drydown. A very sensual, masculine and sophisticated scent for true gentlemen who want to distinguish. Very Chanel...

I thought I'd written a review on this already but I hadn't and it's about time I gave my opinion on this one.
Egoiste was (and still is) a strange one for me, one thing is for certain... it oozes quality and is much more challenging than the safety of Egoiste Platinum.
I like platinum and although it's more wearable in the main I'd say it's pale in comparison with this.
When I say challenging I'm refering to the huge complexity of this fragrance.
I get something of the dated about it and can pick up on the carnation note and some leathery vanilla too it's strange. All of this amid a huge (over?)dose of sandalwood and rose which is an interesting combination with the warming sweetness of cinnamon. I personally (after many tries on my skin) just can't work out whether I love or hate it?
One thing is for sure though the sandalwood/rose combo is too much for me when first applied. However, the progression of this fragrance has a slightly creamy element from the sandalwood and vanilla which keep me sniffing.
In the deep drydown (after several hours) Egoiste is out of this world!! The woody qualities that remind me of very high end fragrances come to play and create an amazing close skin scent which is very deep and sensual.
Dare I say it this is one of the best dry downs I've experienced after a complex opening that I'm not mad about. It must be as the sandalwood settles that the fragrance gets better and becomes a gorgeous spiced leather.
Can't wait to try the cologne concentree which is supposed to be classier still!

Leumus
Leumus

Interessante & Chic... mas cheira a Homem Maduro (50+)

SayakaP
SayakaP

This is the king of male fragrance.
This is how strength & confidence must smell like.
I love, love, love this one!

When this was new, I stopped a stranger in a train station to ask what he was wearing.
I'd never done that before & that was the last time... I mean, stopping a guy like that.
This is how attractive this one is...

My hubby of course wear this for me. I like how it smells on my skin after cuddling, too.
Yum.

Critic
Critic

Resembles opium pour homme EDP at times. Must be the sandalwood DNA they share.

Egoiste is just lush. It's smooth, refined, sweet and just so well constructed. Perhaps its the psychological perception of the whole 'Chanel' brand or whatever, but it feels utterly special.

I feel confident and I KNOW I smell good when wearing egoiste.

Hard to find. Longevity is splendid and it projects very well. Syrupy, rich yet smooth and refined.

lovetribe

i don't understand if i want this or not.....but entangle me!!!!a masterpiece.

Obanonatto
Obanonatto

Only for the vintage formula:
Egoiste is not a perfume, for me this is a god. I kneel in front of its beauty.

REVIEW OF DARRSHAN

JUST GOT MY EGOISTE FRESH BOTTLE FRM CHANEL COUNTER IN INDIA . PERFECT FOR WINTERS ABSOLUTE BEAUTY BY CHANEL
ROSEWOOD , CINNAMOM , SANDALWOOD ALL IN ALL PERFECT SILLAGE , LONGEVITY AND SCENT CLOUD .

A TRUE MASTERPIECE BY CHANEL

Dufteren
Dufteren

As a woman I have to say I love this one. For me, one of the best male scents out there.

ed
ed

This is a lot sweeter than I remember it being 15 or so years ago, is it me....or reformulation? Still spicy, but sweet cinnamon with a definite rose note. For cold weather only. Would be cloying in the heat.

I have no idea why this is described as a conservative masculine fragrance. Chanel do do conservative: think Bleu. Egoiste is not convervative!

lbullard
lbullard

I here all the time how this beautiful fragrance has been discontinued, yes partly because of harvesting of sandlewood regulations in India.I think quite simply the sell factor was greatly enhanced with the egoist platinum.I also here a lot of people say it is generic and synthetic. I think we live in a world with so many demands on the environment, should cause us to pause and say doe's that fragrance smell that much worse.People your noses will adjust and granted some perfumes as well as colognes just don't smell right. I think this is a perfect time to look for something else. Men, I think but could not swear there are over 260,000 scents for you to try and good luck trying to find them all.I found this great layering technique I will share with you and it is so good,I'm not sure I should give it away. Here it is buy Caswell Massey sandlewood lotion on their web site. Good product. Now what you will do next is rub the lotion in and let it sit one or two minutes, then put about a quarter size and a little thick in your hand and spray the egoiste right into the lotion and rub it in again, then lightly spray the chanel in the usual places. It is elegant beyond words,and in a less formal way. I think more sandlewood and less bulgarian rose,oh it doesn't get rid of the rose all together, that would be a sin. Hey fellows what are you waiting for,get going as this is the time for sandlewood and the rest of the heavier scents.FYI This is not heavy just made for the upcoming season. Louis Bullard. Those who do want the original egoist, which I did is go to chanel.com or just order from a chanel botique and prices yes I know but no more than the mall maybe better. LB

Pegasus
Pegasus

I'd rather believe there is a glitch in the database and not that we have 49 people with broken noses over here!!

Really?! Egoiste is more similar to Spicebomb than to Bois des Iles? Let alone the Cologne Concentree version has vanished from that list as if it doesn't even smell like Egoiste!!!

I don't usually write these type of comments on the review section, but I just couldn't resist!

Jose Marcos

Sorry to say, but I LIVE in 2013 and Egoiste IS PERFECTION. Not by chance Miss Katie Puckrick says that Egoiste is a better choice even for the hyper popular Coco Mademoiselle, which she says is everywhere with everyone, girls I suppose. Quoting a watercolour teacher I had "if I were supposed to paint as it was done in the old days, I should wear a corset ". that's the idea. When I compare CE with lets say D&G The One or Fan di Fendi, which I like both, they seem like a joke. Egoiste is just heavenly sent for today's noses.

bonanza1
bonanza1

This is a true classis scent to me, the bottle I have is from October 2010 so I figure thats why it goes right to a skin scent. Although my bottle is older I can still pick up on the smell and appericate it for the marvel it really is. This fragrance has stood the test of time, so when this bottle is empty which should be soon I will replace it with another. I get strong cinnamon at the start and slight hints of sandlewood at the dry down, non of the florals come out on my skin just the amber. I will shake and swrill this bottle till the smell comes out..

Robert G. Rodríguez
Robert G. Rodríguez

No wonder Egöiste is considered a master piece of Chanel's house, It's so manly aroma with a big vibe of magnetism and elegancy. Egöiste is more than fragance is an elixir of the sweetest wood heart blended with spices such as cinnamon, sandalwood, ambar, vanilla and a bite of tabacco with sensuality. It´s just perfect and appropiate for those great ocassions to remember!

DaZeD
DaZeD

This is well near perfection for me.

I really love the opening, very unique and distinct, it fades away rather quickly and becomes sweeter, after a few hours i tend to believe it's not there anymore, but once in a while i do notice a wave of the oh so marvelous opening notes.

To me that's a sign of quality, the scent has a clear idea of what it wants to be and stays true to itself.

Very well made, very balanced and just beautiful, it's masculine, but it has a feminine touch to it as well, it's not harsh at all, soft enough, but rich and full at the same time.

The longevity is good, sillage is also good, not overpowering, just as it should be, good.

Xanovia
Xanovia

Ok... After spending quite some time with this fragrance now I am going to attempt to give it what it deserves... This seems to be a very hard to find fragrance for many... It is beautiful stuff... I will make a couple comparisons in this little write up... This fragrance to me basically sits to the left of Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood and Egoiste Cologne Concentree... All 3 scents are very similar and I have all 3 sprayed on me right now... Going back and forth between the three (and a bag of coffee ^_^) think of them like this... Egoiste has way more of a rose feel to it then the other two combined and because of that I feel skews more formal... Geo F Trumper's Sandalwood has this 'freshness' early in the composition that the other two do not possess and has more vanilla in the base then normal Egoiste and because of these two points I feel that while still mature it is by far the easiest to wear... Egoiste Cologne Concentree has more cinnamon early on and this 'dustiness' to it that is hard to explain. Think about the 'dusty' feel you get from L'Air du Desert Marocain and you will understand what I am talking about and it skews even more sophisticated because of this... All 3 are wonderful fragrances and as time goes on they come closer together with Sandalwood and Cologne Concentree becoming the closest to each other by the final drydown... Sniff them all out if you have a chance to find out which you prefer as they are all stunning... 9/10

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * * * (masterpiece)

There is a lost world inside a bottle of vintage Egoiste, a forest of authentic Mysore sandalwood. Creamy, plush, deep, dense, dark, exotic. Forget about oud; sandalwood is the crown jewel in the subcontinent's vast treasury of spices and scents.

You can't buy it anymore. Over-harvesting led the Indian government to place strict prohibitions on it for a generation. The stuff you see listed as "sandalwood" in perfumes today is either an impoverished Australian cousin or a synthetic approximation of the original. Sadly, neither comes close to the real thing.

Egoiste is my absolute favorite winter fragrance. Putting on a few spritzes in the deep of a midwestern January enlives my senses and my spirits, and reminds me that the sun will return soon enough. Freezing rain and grey skies give way to the cinnamon hills and muddy rivers of southern India. When I was a child, I naively wondered why Europeans were so intent on obtaining spices from "the Indies." Could pepper, salt, sage, and cinnamon really be worth the cost, the risk? I found the answer as an adult in Egoiste.

This is one of those rare fragrances that is almost literally intoxicating. I can feel the endorphin cascade each time I sniff my wrist.

The reformulation is not terrible. In fact, it is better than 95% of what is on the market today. But it is like humming your favorite tune--it rarely gives you the chills like hearing it played in stereo. The modern version opens smokier, drier, and somehow thinner than the original.

I have yet to try the almost-impossible-to-find Concentree, but it is universally beloved.

Other reviewers have compared Egoiste to its "mother," Bois des Iles. Yes, they are quite similar. And I also love Bois des Iles (which reportedly makes use of Chanel's existing stockpile of Mysore sandalwood), but not nearly so much as Egoiste. The mother is more refined and elegant. She sparkles. The son is wild and free. He glows.

lovetribe

good ,tobac for me....a must have!

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

WHAT THE HELL??

Yep. That's what I thought when this fragrance hit my skin.

I waited. And waited. And waited. For what? Something... likable?

A reviewer below said:
"This fragrance is one of a kind. It is not for everybody."

Guess I'm one of the 'everybodies'

Regaplanar
Regaplanar

I owned this fragrance many years ago as a Xmas present, albeit as an aftershave lotion but loved it.

It has only now been seen in the shops in the UK after a long absence and I recently purchased 100ml of the EDT.

Very spicy in the opening but does settle down nicely. I would say this was a complex fragrance that does change notes the longer it stays on your skin.

The only real noticeable thing I will mention is that in hot weather this stuff does not work for me, it's an Autumn / Winter fragrance for sure!

cyber.raga
cyber.raga

I tested and fell in love with it. It's on my list. So sexy and masculine. Perfect for autumn/winter.

Jose Marcos

Chanel Egoiste is very true to its time but nevertheless not dated at all. It is woody but so smooth and classy that is hard to realize it is sandalwood and rosewood you are smelling. Creamy wood with warm spices and I cannot get the cinnamon note in itself but as a part of the blend. I was a little concerned about it being to close to Gucci pour Homme II but they are worlds apart. After the woods the most proeminent note is rose, the same rose as in burberry Brit and Charriol Royal Platinum. In the dry down it gets a little sweeter with amber and vanilla and tabacco. Hoever the woods stay all the way until the very end. also it reminds me Caron Le 3em Homme which for me is a good barbershop scent but Chanel Egoiste is no barbershop. It has the same feeling but more refined and upper class. My bottle is from september 2012 and it seems quite soft in projection. Two sprays in my arm twice for testing give me the impression more of a skin scent than a powerhouse. Egoiste is defenetly a gentleman's fragrance as gentlemen used to be and I feel it deserves a special wearing for special occasions. It is also very French, like pain au chocolat.

No, thare is nothing to do with Platinum Egoiste. Perhaps that's why they changed the original name, Egoiste Platinum, because it is clearly not a flanker of Egoiste.

freddiefingers

for the love of sanity,people should simply put a stop to comparing this to Platinum Egoiste!it's a juvenile and pretty stupid thing to do.You dont compare a chicken to a lion do you?

@hogan00: I don't like this scent either, but I explained exactly why. Moreover, it is an entirely different scent than Platinum Egoiste, so there is no reason to compare them! PE is overpriced for what it is, IMO, and pretty boring in general, but I can understand why some people really like it, just as I understand why some people really like the newest version of Egoiste (I prefer the concentrated cologne version by a wide margin). Why not say something like, "I'm a young guy who wants something fresh but also rich and natural smelling, which led me to the simple but effective PE" ?

Brenao
Brenao

Creamy cinnamon, formal, soft oriental vibe, not too much sweet, great fragrance. I'll order a bottle soon. It could be a classic guerlain. Deep fragrance, in despite of the opening not so appealing, the drydown is great, cinnamon plus sandalwood means magic. So gentle and so different same time. The scent of kindness.

Terese2
Terese2

Egoiste reminds me of that song from Mame, "We need a little Christmas, right this very minute..." Well, they could have tried a spritz of Egoiste. It's egg custard with cinnamon on top. A wood paneled study. The scent of, "Will you be my wife." Its reading to a child who's asleep on your chest. Okay, if your a guy who knows how utterly hot confidence and kindness is, splash on some of this.

Ichariot
Ichariot

It's nothing like so many of todays modern fragrances which are becoming exceedingly hard to tell apart from eachother. This is a parfum I could easily carry in my vitrine and would wear it proudly.. If it wasn't for Eau Sauvage Parfum, I think I might have bought this yesterday. It's good, surely worth the dime in my opinion. Better than Egoiste Platinum.

Distinct, pleasant, bittersweet, slightly mysterious, exquisite and it stands out.

Dad jax
Dad jax

This was the one which really got me in love with perfumes, one of my Dad's favorite... i havent met my dad since 3 years as he is living far away in another country but when ever i miss him i wear this...

AnnaBarbz
AnnaBarbz

I fall for the man who wears Egoiste it's not just a cologne it's a statement. The base notes alone would make a great cologne but then there's rose which makes me picture a sharp dressed man holding a rose for his lady. When I smell Egoiste I connect the man to high life and success. Yes it's serious like that fellas you can't go wrong with Egoiste.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

In my never-ending quest to get my husband to try a range of scents instead of dosing himself indiscriminately with Eau Sauvage (a definite step up from the Lush Dirty he usually wore), I got a sample of this from a lovely and generous SA at my local Nordies. Much, MUCH more to my liking than the Platinum, which is just loud and metallic, a true "Master of the Universe" frag that does too much talking. Egoiste is such a refreshing antidote to the overwhelming "laundry-shower-citrus-metal-freshness" style that's been done to death in masculines. Lovely spice and woods, heavy dose of Polge's rose signature, warm, whiff of pipe tobacco. Classy and in my opinion, wearable in any weather and situation if applied carefully. If you're a young guy, may not be so attractive to young ladies raised with Acqua di Gio or 1 Million or A & F Fierce, but if you have the personality to pull it off, go for it: it's lovely and different.

windhill
windhill

The first burst instantly remind me of Coco. I also got the same impression as Samsara in Egoiste. They're not smell really alike but there's something similiar to me though. This perfume made me imagine of a hot pianist playing a furious melodic by Beethoven. Sexy in a classy and classic way. The sillage is amazing. Eventhough I can't wear it myself(not suit my personality at all) I can see a good looking guy who's wear it a can pull it off. This is one of a timeless fragrance for ladies and gentleman :)

drewqxc
drewqxc

Mouth watering

Feeling of a warm blanket on your nose

Extremely Spicy

hameedbilal
hameedbilal

one of the best....
unique, powerful, mesmerising...
love this frag absolutely...
but may not be for all, mind, so test it out before u buy....
most ppl prefer PE over this...but I love this above all along with Bleu

manik jamese
manik jamese

Ariesboy
Ariesboy

Jacques Polge created a MASTERPIECE.

This is warm and inviting. It is a scent that grows on a person after wearing it a few times. It was not love at first sniff. I have to appreciate this and mature as a human being before I could appreciate its worth.

This is an ideal winter scent. One word I think of is COSY.

REVIEW OF DARRSHAN

the most potent fragrance from the house of great CHANEL , i almost love all chanel scents but this is really very nice one.. best for winters but also good in the evenings of any season , a little sweet woody with cinanmom rose wood and creamy with a very good longevity and becomes smooth as hours pass by , all in all a must buy ,

Julio Azul
Julio Azul

i have no words to describe this masterpiece,it's a miracle in a bottle.i understand that sounds common to say good things for this perfume but all is true.a magnificent blend for real men with good taste.10/10.

willbear

I have no words for this works on my skin and lasts a long time

$tefanOud
$tefanOud

This was the one i used in the 90 s (after shave from my old man) untill i got a full bottle from him for my birthday back then.

nowadays i used the EDT. I think this is a timeless masterpiece in the woodsy aromatics.

the smell never bores me and the longtivety is crazy on my skin.at least 12 hours and on my t shirt its 24+

Before i washed it could still smell the aroma :-)

Overall 4,5/5

Molko
Molko

Egoiste is the best spicy "unisex" fragrance from the '90s, BUT it's timeless (classic and modern), there's nothing old or grandfather odor, just a unique, soft and strong, warm, fresh, sweet oriental smell like euphoria. No words for such amazing perfume
update: firstly very strong spicy-rosy-mahogany, on my skin is enough dry, woody with some smoky tones, (the mandarin note gives freshening), it can seem little bit old, but it doesn't, rather very tricky "beast":) About 1-2 hours turns more sweet and more pleasant, chill/relax smell. Egoiste is not specifically macho or "invite to sex" fragrance I think, maybe to date or to use everyday like a safety stuff, but definitely a special juice, not similar to nothing, I enjoy when I can smell around me all day and not only in winter:) Not a sillage monster on me ( I have dry skin), I feel moderate but can smell closer to the the skin in not disturbing way for long time
Sillage: 7-8/10
Smell: 10000000/10
update: on my skin the projection is just soft to moderate, but longevity is very good, I can smell all day long

diego.lesgart
diego.lesgart

Gorgeous!!! One of my favourites!
Envy is similar, but Egoiste is the original ...
But Egoiste Platinium is really ugli, Chanel must not use the same name!!!!!!!!!

Cardenal Mendoza
Cardenal Mendoza

Words that spring to mind when I think of Egoiste: Autumnal, Breathtaking, Masterpiece... It is not dated to my nose, in fact I find it more relevant today than it has ever been. Highly complex, the scent is ever changing on the skin, and in Autumnal weather it works best and somehow blends with the scent of nature, leaves etc. Egoiste is a masterful blend of rosewood and sandalwood, florals (rose) and spices, both festive (cinnamon) and oriental (coriander). I would say one has to take time with this fragrance as it took me several wearings to even scratch the surface of this beautiful piece of art. Like an autumn day it can be melancholy in one respect yet bright and magnificent in the other. If it were a piece of music it would be ADAGIO FOR STRINGS. Hypnotic, moving and perfect. A fine creation by Jacques Polge.

Mr.noise
Mr.noise

A masterpiece 5/5

@Smyle12

why would anyone who loves Egoiste prefer it without the notes which make it what it is,I mean sandalwood and rose?Just doesnt make sense.the two scents are to my nose very distinct as to make me tell them apart.I clearly must be old enough not to see Egoiste as dated and wonder where that comes from but to each his nose and taste

grdowntown2020
grdowntown2020

This EDT is timeless and classic but not boring. It makes you a better man to wear it. You have to be nice and confident to smell this good. Sometimes I smell someone so wonderful I just want to bang them then and there. Then I realize that I am smelling myself. And though I can't bang myself I can make love to me. Because I am worth it. My favorite of all the Chanel scents right now. Allure and Anteus are up there too. Bleu de Chanel is way too strong for me. I'm not man enough or something like that to wear it.

Dioguh
Dioguh

One word. Timeless, love it!

Yasir Shahbaz
Yasir Shahbaz

agreement with Neyzen @love/hate thing
this is not a blind buy at all
i went with 100% conviction to buy this frag, applied it on wrist as a test and let it dry for a while
what i felt was as if i was 70 year old brat wearing a standard frag. i din't expect such kind of frag so in my perception, chanel's repute in my eyes has degraded alot. well no offense but i ve not been able to bring myself to like it. for me, its just so so
my recommendation on it is to go for a "try b4 a buy"

almondbreakfast

Them ladies and Brad Pitt can have no. 5, you can have your Allure or Bleu de Chanel, but Egoiste is MINE!

So the more you hate it, the more I love it!

I want it to be mine and only mine...

That's how Egoiste I am.

-Mr Egoiste-

Neyzen
Neyzen

I hate this perfume.. In my 30+ collection from all genres, this is the only one I would never use!

I know.. everything abut this scent is of the highest quality. Forget the ratings, this has enormous projection and longevity, one of the strongest.. Yet it is not offensive. No sentetic feeling. So smooth and natural. Name, brand, uniqueness, versitality.. everything is right for a classic.

Except one thing: the scent!
At least for the first hour, it is horrible!
Who in his right mind would like to smell exactly like a cherries syrup? Take some sour cherries, add some wine and boil them in a wooden container.. That's what it smells like!

This is a love-hate fragrance for sure, and it is more possible that you will hate it. Never think of blind-buying this one!

I would suggest Xeryus Rouge over this one..
It is similiar but much better!

Versatility: 10/10

kazewayz
kazewayz

Well done fragrance. The opening is very strong and might push you away so be careful, but the dry down is where is at. Fresh scent, a little spicy a little powdery and stays on for long. Projection is great. Good for any occasion. Elegant, mature scent. Try it.

M1ras
M1ras

Wonderful, once to have it always.

Fahl
Fahl

The words that defines this new age is bad taste. In everything . The masses entered in the market and forced a new sales strategy in all markets, perfumes is just one.
Music, dance, consumer products, anything is made to serve this new consumer that knows nothing and , consequently , consumes anything new with a good marketing.
Egoiste is the very opposite to this new days of ultra sweet, gourmand, or any new word that you want to give to those masses perfumes .
It has a soul that you will see in the first use of it. I will not tell about the smell, because several people described it here. I will tell you that if you have a "classic" taste for perfumes, this is THE ONE.
Some people say that it is feminine in some way, but I disagree, it is simply elegant, classic. But remember : elegance needs elegant clothes.
I think you could use it in your work, but definitely not with a t-shirt.
It has not the aggressiveness of Kouros, but it causes a vigorous impression in any one that smells it.
It is elegant , a counterpoint to an aggressive Kouros .
Both classic.

silentrich
silentrich

Egoiste has the wow factor. It's one of those fragrances that when you smell it you'll never forget it. I wouldn't say it's completely masculine, because I have had a few women guess what I was wearing and told me that they wore this at one point or time. A strong a powerful fragrance that demands confidence when wearing it. 10 out of 10.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

Sour woods in the opening, with coriander strengthening the scent. The drydown is very nice. Amazing fragrance for sandalwood lovers. A timeless classic. Longevity is great.

krmarich
krmarich

Egoiste was the top of the mountain for the mens perfume evolution. The trend in the 1980s was pointing towards the ultimate rose/floral. This was it! Farhenheit, Jazz, Actuer, and a few others almost hit it. Leave it to Chanel to pull it off effortlessly.

Its a dark bold "dandy type" masterpiece that has a reputation. Gay, libertine, player and my favorite, romantic. I can never begin to fathom its complexity, as there are so many other notes missing. Sandalwood is prominent. Rich red rose and jasmine are not afraid to be obvious here.

The early 1990s ushered in the rose proudly for men-Boucheron, Guerlain Heritage and Minotaure. They were refined beyond definition, yet Egoiste was at the top of the heap. It is somewhat brooding and mysterious, while at the same sensitive and beautiful.

In its time, it was a huge success. Its now vanished from the market, with vintages going for $$$s. If you had the honor of wearing it, you are very lucky. Who would think that 20 years later the industry would be moving towards generic body sprays?

Maggie_Everk123
Maggie_Everk123

Chanel is always a classic--hands down! It is a very elegant cologne that opens up with a heavy wood aspect. Some people describe the opening as spicy, but I would describe it more as woodsy.

willbear

i love this sets on my skin and don't need much of it love the woody spiced feel to it

Marciu

I love it. But it wasn't love from the first sniff...

On my skin, I feel mainly rose, sandalwood, tobacco, cinnamon, vanilla and maybe some leather. At first, when I smelled Egoiste for the very first time, I thought: awful, heavy and stinky. But its beauty has beaten me, sooner than I thought!

This perfume is timeless. A lot of people compare it with Platinum Egoiste(not so long ago I also have been comparing them), but I think it's senseless. They're totally different. But both very good.

To me, it's definitely a winter fragrance. Or a whole-year one, when you put on yourself while wearing a suit. Yes, it's elegant in my opinion.

It's a long lasting beast, 3-4 sprays are enough. And you smell about 8 - 10 (like I do).

I heard it also was reformulated, but I don't know the pre-reformulated version.

samer007
samer007

beautiful beautiful beautiful. a statement scent, a mix of gorgeous woods, rose pot pourri/liquor and beautiful aromatics/spices over a creamy sandalwood base. easily in my top 3 male marketed scents. it's bold but refined and has a lot of character, great work mr polge:)
4+ stars.

french_cactus
french_cactus

One of the best fragrances ever made. I consider myself as a rather girly girl, yet this is one of my signature fragrances to wear for the office. Spices and woods are mouth watering. I prefer Egoiste to Bois des Iles, which is too tame to my view.

michael.j
michael.j

Egoïste remains one of my all time favorites. It stands alone. I remember being blown away by this when I tried it at Jordan Marsh in Boston the year it came out. Just bought a new bottle in Paris. It's genius. What I don't understand is why Platinum was ever marketed as an Egoïste flanker. It's so shrill, loud, and childish compared to the sophistication and poise of the original Egoïste.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

A true masterpiece of a fragrance. Complex on so many levels. You will undoubtly smell a different note each time wearing for first few times. Was a complete fork in the road when released as it was totally different than what else was considered "popular" at the time. Still smells great after all these years!

willbear

i love this had a tested of it a few years ago shame its so hard to get for some reason love the spiced leather thing with this

mina.cabaleiro
mina.cabaleiro

delicious

fadwa.daddou
fadwa.daddou

woooww ! very sexy fragrance ! I love to smell that kind of sents on a man

rt94103
rt94103

I suspect Jacques Polge is the best nose in the business, which means I love Chanel, and which meant I needed a bottle of Egoiste.

This is one of those fragrances that you probably have to own to fully appreciate. It has complexity throughout it's stages that are difficult to quantify without multiple experiences. The few times I had tried it on-skin or on-card in-store I was rather unimpressed, but knowing Mssr. Polge carefully crafted it, I knew I should just have faith and continue to flesh out my scent wardrobe by including it. I am not disappointed.

Upon first application it's simplistic, fresh & clean, perhaps a bit too floral, but given a brief dry-down it begins to tell it's intricate story. As the rose fades, the warm spices and rich woods emerge, dancing off each other; each gracefully taking the lead as the skin warms and provokes this genius concoction. The finish is very sophisticated, with a clean powdery layer that leaves one seeming rather masculinely UNscented and more just fresh & clean again.

This is likely a scent that will work for men who don't really care to wear colognes. It's understated, mature, masculine and fresh.

What makes a great scent is the evolution of the scent experience, this captivates the wearer; intriguing them as they detect the different notes taking the foreground throughout the period of longevity. A great designer like Jacques Polge is a master of this art. Polge's ability to design an ever evolving, complex, and yet cohesive symphony of scent in a wide variety of successful executions is a masterful, and perhaps unrivaled, accomplishment.

I still have a couple more of Polge's creations for Chanel to add to my repertoire; I can't wait for Bleu, Blanche and Platinum. I'm also curious how he evolved Pour Homme, as the vintage original version is my favorite cologne.

EGOISTE!

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

Picture this. A suburban fella, well groomed, a pair of black Boss dress shoes, plaid shirt, covered by a slim fit v-neck, collar tucked in, crisp well made jeans, suit coat..maybe a pair of cuff links. He is meeting some friends for happy hour and guess what his fragrance of choice is...that's right Egoiste.

I used to think the base-noters were a bit stuck up. Now I can see why they sort of laugh at Ediition Blanche while praising this. This along with Pour Monsieur Concetree has given me a love for Chanel I didn't know existed. I found the Allures nice but nothing work really owning as much anymore. My taste has evolved over the last few years and these fragrances (tiffany, carven, egoiste, pour monsieur, habit rogue...) are starting to take center stage.

6 months ago I hated sandlewood, now I have found myself sniffing and sniffing and becoming enamored with the note. Egoist exudes maturity and confidence. Spicy, creamy sandlewood, soapy-floral rose blended wonderfully with hints of vanilla and leather. My gosh this is wonderful. Forget the niche stuff. I need Chanel ;o)

Axum
Axum

My favourite Chanel. Where Cristalle and No 19 somehow are situation-specific, Egoiste is warm, easy and sexily informal. That plummy rosewood pairs perfectly with denim and wool and rumpled cotton...it's a fragrance that makes casual luxurious.

I wonder why Chanel doesn't revive this fragrance in North America by marketing it as a unisex. If you can get past the name and that OTT advertising campaign from the 80s, and just concentrate on the fragrance, it's the sort of thing that would appeal to those who favour casual elegance and yearn for something more substantial than a cologne.

curtmaster
curtmaster

Chanel Egoiste Ahh, what can I say about this? Think of Vintage christmas in a bottle. This is such a nice and Cinnamon filled fragrance that most people who I believe truly enjoy the art of fragrances could and would love. This is a gourmand all the way with a rose and Sandalwood sprinkle in there. Now I have some of the more modern Egoiste and a bottle of the Vintage Egoiste and the difference is that one ( the Vintage) is even more Cinnamony than the other. LOl

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I went a-sniffing fragrances one day with my wife and this was one of the surprise discoveries. My first thought was antique wood, like poking my nose into the works of my 100 year old grandfather clock.

I sprayed some on my wrist and all that day I was trying to pin down the source of the bitter note, when Turin's guide helpfully told me: thyme and herbes de Provence.

I can wear Egoiste; it's very presentable.

I also like Antaeus and Pour Monsieur, so me and the Chanels are sympatico, I guess!

------

I wore Egoiste today; I like it...

Wore Egoiste again: Okay, it's settled. I LOVE this stuff. I sprayed some on my arm at 2:30 PM and it's 12:39 AM now. (Ten hours later.) There is *the* most wonderful tobacco basenote left on my arm; I can I smell it from time to time.

How could I have once written that I liked the Platinum flanker more? This is so much nicer!

I WANT A BOTTLE.

diego.cubillo
diego.cubillo

I have no idea what just happened, I'm 15, and me and Egoiste never clicked together, and don't try to tell I'm still not mature enough to wear it, since I proudly wear Shalimar when I have the craving... It was just to much spice for me, to the point it made me sick, this is one of my dad's favorites and I didn't understand why, one day this was miraculously on on sale, around $60 for 100ml, and my dad went ahead and picked up a bottle, he asked: hey, you want one to? and I didn't accept since I knew I wouldn't wear it. A couple of months pass by and I move from Panama (hot, tropical year round) to Costa Rica( much fresher, cold at nights, at least where I'm living) and I tell my dad, hey remember Egoiste? let me take a look at it, and man I sprayed in on my skin and now I regret so much I didn't accept the bottle, smells so special and sophisticated, lovely and not overly heavy like I remembered, I think it's the weather, maybe my tastes changed, but I think I'm finding love for Egoiste like I did for all my favorites, I will need to borrow this from my dad from time to time, real winner juice

EloquentOgre
EloquentOgre

On paper, it was a lovely blend of rose, cinnamon, sandalwood, and something else I honestly could not place my finger on. But alas, as I eagerly applied a couple sprays to my chest, something horrible happened.

The rose was still there, oh yes. But the other lovely notes were gone, replaced by a miasma that smelled of urine soaked cigarette ash. In an instant, the wicked vagaries of skin chemistry had transported me from the safety of my own room to a hell reminiscent of the men's room of the worst dive bar in town, the night the urinals all got clogged with cigarette butts, and some heartbroken fool dropped a bouquet of wilting roses on the floor before trudging off god knows where.

I bolted quickly to the shower to scrub the evil off. And it was not easy. It seems one of the Murphy's Laws of fragrance is that your skin loves to hold onto the scents you hate the most, while devouring the ones you love too soon, every time. There was much scrubbing and regret. But I survived. And learned. Blind buying has its risks!

Summary: Egoiste is a rich, beautiful fragrance, if it works with your skin. I really wish it worked for me, but alas it did not. It did turn out to work well on my brother in law, but he didn't like the rose scent, so in the end, and thank god Chanel generously gives refunds for returns when one purchases direct.

4moons
4moons

I've never smelled this scent, but it brings a smile to my face just thinking about the television advert. A model throwing open window shudders screaming "Egoiste! Egoiste!" Brings me to tears laughing every time. Thank you, Chanel.

I recently obtained a sample of the original version. However, I no longer have my sample of the new version so I can't compare directly. The original begins strong and creamy; it's quite nice, but not for those who seek very good note separation. I didn't apply more than one spray because it seemed so strong. After an hour or so I could barely smell anything. At that point it was a mild creamy scent with a hint of good quality sandalwood. In some ways it reminds me of some current niche unisex scents, in terms of how they are constructed. I certainly intend to wear it at least one more time, but my guess is that I won't think the drydown is worth the current cost of vintage Egoiste. I think you could get a similar effect by layering Royal Secret for Men with a creamy/spicy "women''s" scent (or even of vintage Jacomo de Jacomo, if you don't mind waiting for the drydown), in case you want to try and do a cheapo version of it yourself.

UPDATE: I got some on cloth and noticed that hours later. The cloth smells like a toned down Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri, with some nice wood notes added. I'm surprised it didn't hold up nearly as well on skin.

UPDATE #2: I have now tried the newest version, the vintage, and the concentrated cologne one. The latter is far superior to the other two and the newest (EdT) is just outright unwearable to me (see below).

This is my original review, from October, 2011:

I found this to be loud, sharp, poorly balanced, and “synthetic.” I suspect it was reformulated and that my sample was from a non-original formulation bottle. If you want to stand out, by all means sample this one, but if you want a balanced, natural smelling fragrance, this one may disappoint you. If you want a nicely balanced (but with some edge), “masculine,” rose fragrance, I suggest taking the money that you would have spent on Egoiste and instead try to buy a bottle of Made in France Ungaro III (the sticker on the bottom of the bottle should say Made in France). I like the idea of Egoiste, but it would need to be blended better and have a nicer sandalwood note for me to be interested in it.

derkargy
derkargy

Sexy masculine smell!

hmgates94
hmgates94

my boyfriend wore this cologne and I must say that this scent was one of the orginal reasons I was attracted to him. The sillage is heavy and can be smelled from far away, but it not not too much because it only draws you in. I liked the fragrance because it was masculine but still somewhat sweet and mysterious and didn't overpower him. Everytime i smelled it, I simply wanted more. I must say, however, when smelling it on a test strip in Macy's, the scent was much less attractive. It is very obvious that this particular fragrance reacted very well on his skin.

s_athena
s_athena

Ladies, if you're looking for a substitute for the discontinued Gucci Eau de Parfum, this is one to try. Egoiste has less fruit and more spice, but the rose here takes on a fruity quality that mimics the fruity heliotrope of Gucci Eau de Parfum, and doesn't smell all that masculine on my skin. Picture Gucci Eau de Parfum's fruity, spicy nuttiness layered with Chanel Coco Noir (rose and sandalwood) and a good dose of cinnamon, and you're pretty close to what this smells like. So glad I found this! Can't wait to buy myself a full bottle to use for work (lightly) or for date nights (a bit heavier).

And guys, don't let this turn you off - on men it probably comes out very masculine. I know I'd be VERY attracted to a guy that smelled like this!

virga
virga

Egoiste is a charismatic character with criminal-like qualities: it’s loud but tender, inviting but aggressive and deadly attractive. His magnetism mostly lies in the fact that he knows he has it and enjoys every minute of it. Think of Rhett Buthler portrayed by Clark Gable or James Bond played by Son Connery. Egoiste radiates the old school masculinity and is not easy to handle (especially for the younger audience), but on a right person with the right charisma… irresistible.

aucffan1

trickykid300 you can get it all day long on chanel's site.. That is the only place I buy this level of cologne.. Gauranteed fresh, authentic juice.. Plus they give a couple free samples..

trickykid300
trickykid300

Why is this so damn hard to find? All I can ever find is platinum

twlahue

i like it, my wife, however, finds it offensive...

aucffan1

When I really want aa great fragrance I often wrestle with Egoiste and Green Irish Tweed..
Tonight I am going with Egoiste..

Not a bad problem to have...

Man this is top notch juice. (period) .

wendyyparty
wendyyparty

I'm a woody woman and I love wearing Egoiste at work (along with other few fragrances in my collection). I used to wear Armani code for women and Chergui but find them too sweet to wear regularly. Egoiste, instead, is just crisp, fresh, yet still warm and bold enough to match up with my look; A shirt/turtleneck sweater with black suit & pants, black leather ankle boots (with 3.5' heels ;)) and black-frame glasses.

Seeing a lot of people here comparing Egoiste to Bois de Iles. For me I prefer BDI cuz of that surreal mood it creates, but I wear Egoiste more often cuz it is cheaper and lasts all day.

Lady Teacup
Lady Teacup

Possibly THE best scent for men I have ever come across. It's just so lovely.

Review of Darrshan

I have all chanel perfumes and this stands out for its beautiful dry down and the cinnamon and rose and vanilla I just love to wear in winters now it's really beautiful though it's a men's perfume even some female can carry it try

ScottyVizz
ScottyVizz

A challenge to wear at first, but oh so rewarding. Pure sex. A piece of art. Nothing can compete with this masterpiece.

aucffan1

This is my favorite scent at this point..

I just realized Chanel Egoiste and Gucci Envy are similar.

dalaylamakirkhar
dalaylamakirkhar

A nice woody perfume but not as woody as Gucce Pour Homme I. More suitable for men older than 30. The first 5-10 min when you wear this perfume, it would realy disturb you. The top note is like a very cheap fake perfume. But after half an hour or so, the middle note starts showing itself. The woody bottom note which last for several hours is lovely. I was looking for Cucci Pour Homme 1 but the lady in the perfume shop recoomebded this and I liked it. Although, it was first introduced in 90s, but it is still like a modern perfume. I don't think that it smells like a conservative, oldish perfume.

cockneykid1962
cockneykid1962

Quite possibly my all-time favourite fragrance...I shall probably be buried wearing this! :)

ADCout
ADCout

Tried this today on my skin, and I've got nothing but wonderful things to say about this perfume!

First spray, pretty strong, sweet and spicy, syrupy, but at the same time, familiar... Strangely familiar... Ohhh, that's it! This smells like CHRISTMAS!

To me, this one is Christmas in a bottle. Well, with the time passing by, the first spray blast calms down and melts into a beautiful scent.

The cinnamon here plays perfectly with the other notes, creating a very sensual, comforting and warm aura. Just like Christmas.

The rose is very evident, but that doesn't make the perfume feminine at all. It's quite masculine, actually, although I can definitely understand that some women love to wear it.

This perfume is charming, cozy, classy, warm, comfy and cuddly.

The longevity is excellent, as well as the sillage. However, it's never too loud, which is a good thing.

It's one of the best masculine perfumes Chanel has ever done. It's not that popular anymore, and it's not very common to smell this on someone nowadays. But, who cares? I would wear it proudly!

Christmas's coming! And so is Egöiste :)

Quasar
Quasar

Love it soooo good and classy
Just longevity is strange at first woooow strong powerfully with spreading aura.......and after this buuuu somebody has to lick U to feel it........
Scent is anyway amazing

lulu7898
lulu7898

I'm a woman in my 30's and whenever I wear this, I get so many compliments...It started when I was young and didn't know the difference between men and women's perfume. I just loved it. Then when I got older and realized Homme was a man's colonge, I was embarrassed. Now that I'm even older, I again enjoy it and don't care if it's for the guys!

pbluberry
pbluberry

This smells sooo wonderful on my boyfriend. It is a scent for the more mature person. I love the the woodsy spicy smell...mmmmmmm manly.

alexytaylor
alexytaylor

Sensual, rich, powerful and my wife's favourite scent. Absolutely no relation to
Platinum egoiste which is far more subtle

Widmung
Widmung

Doesn't this smell like Serge Luten's Chergui?

darlosu
darlosu

Longevity - 8/10
Sillage - 8/10
Scent - 10/10

jude1321

I forgot to add that Gucci II is trying to be like Egoiste, but not nearly as long lasting and high quality. If you like Gucci II, get Egoiste, as Chanel is clearly the superior perfume design house.

jude1321

Finally got this juice. Wow...spice. I do believe this stuff is incredible, but not as wearable as Platinum. Woody spicy scent that lasts forever, compared to Platinum which is a fresh scent that has had longevity issues on my skin at least. Still believe Antaeus is Chanel's best scent for men, but Egoiste is clearly worthy of purchase. And fyi this juice is not dated: it is timeless. well done jacques polge, well done.

Grottola

Over time, I've deduced that Egoiste is essentially a spicy-sweet oriental, halfway between Balenciaga Pour Homme and Old Spice. The sandalwood, however, gives it a modern" feel, and the spices are so well-proportioned that they're comforting, as I noted before. A weird, cooling, anise-like feel is also achieved without even using anise, showing just how talented Jacques Polge really is. Egoiste probably doesn't smell as good as it used to, but if you're looking for a cozy oriental that will make that special someone want to snuggle up to you on a cold night, this is the one.

Probably Chanel's best masculine, besides Pour Monsieur.

jude1321

I cannot wait to try this after reading all the killer reviews. I just picked up a bottle of Platinum Egoiste at Macy's yesterday...that juice is unreal. So, I really want to try the original. When you add on Bleu, Antaeus, and Allure, Chanel has to be the best men's design house in the business and Jacque Polge is the Babe Ruth of perfumers. As for availability, Chanel sells this for a very reasonable $80 on its own site. Moron sellers on ebay and elsewhere have it way above that. Chanel is very fair with its prices on its own site. Antaeus is also $80 for a 3.4 oz, while some on ebay are selling it for $150. Gotta love Chanel, the best fashion house in history.

Gyallar
Gyallar

Very mature scent, the combination of notes reminds me strong oliva and fermented roses.

bruno.enrico1
bruno.enrico1

I love this smelt, I've won a bottle of this fragrance when I was at the Kindergarten, it's funny imagine a boy at the elementary school who own a fragrance like this, maybe that's why I love strong fragrances.
This fragrance remembers me my youth, really nice smelt much better than egoiste platinum.

naapio
naapio

I'm completely enchanted. I only have a miniature bottle I found from a Parisian flea market this summer but I can't wait to get a full bottle. On me Egoiste is a warm rose and cinnamon scent with comfortable woody base and hints of dried fruits (raisins?) and vanilla pipe tobacco. I don't think it's especially strong, but the longevity is good. It invites to wear your favourite sweater and cuddle in front of the fireplace.

I'm actually a little surprised that this is labeled as men's perfume because it's nothing like the usual "manly" perfumes I have smelled. Egoiste is very soft and warm and I suggest even the more girly girls give it a try.

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

I have perfumes for work
and I have perfumes for leisure.
I even have some for seduction
but this one I wear only for my own pleasure.
Maybe that's why it's called Egoiste.

9-/10

Do not buy this!

I JUST LOVE THEM TOO MUCH! And I want them to be only mine... Be mine and only mine...

Jacques Polge really taught me to be Egoiste.

So I am.

Once again, IT'S MINE!!!!

-Mr. Almond-

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

If you're a man and you love the balmy comforts of Chanel No. 5 EDT and the clean skin appeal of No. 19 but never quite felt comfortable buying them for yourself, then this is the one! There's also a clean, inedible vanilla and an indulgent, supple leather dimension that adds luxury and depth.

murysusanto
murysusanto

Completely different to egoiste platinum but both is truly enjoyable, this one characterized woody hint, yes it's very manoy.

Kolonzo
Kolonzo

at first i was introduced this by then my girlfriend who liked it a lot. i liked very much and still do but always reminds me of her. its really nice cologne

marmalator
marmalator

One of my very favourites. Incense and lush roses. I will never be without this. Very hard to get hold of though (which is nice for all we elitists!) Only available in Selfridges in the UK. Not even the Bond Street Chanel boutique stocks it, offering instead the inferior—though still lovely—Platinum version. Projection and longevity not great on me. But at a very reasonable £40 for 50ml, £60 for 100ml, who cares? I decant a little into a Penhaligon's travel atomiser (which are brilliant and easy to fill) and just reapply as necessary. It's fragrances such as this which, for me, push Chanel beyond being purveyors of mass-market designer scents and justify its reputation as a truly great perfumer.

DirtySyndrome80
DirtySyndrome80

I PERSONALLY HATE THE OPENING OF THIS FRAG BUT LOVE WHEN IT START TO DRYDOWN..

egoiste, egoiste, egoiste!

cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon!

egoiste is very well blended, balanced. great longevity, at least 6 hours, depends on the activity. great silage too.

as a perfume lover, i have long thought about finding a smell that fits my personality. i have to say egoiste and ambra are my night and day personalities. if i could disappear and turn into a white snmoke, my soul would smell like egoiste at night and ambra in the day.

now that makes me miss aladdin, all the blue nights, the moon, adventures, the sword, the hope, the love.

thanks egoiste for having found me.

-Mr. Almond-

twlahue

Reminds me of a much stronger, more refined, (winter version perhaps) Tommy Hilfiger "Tommy"
Try them both side by side and see what you think...

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

Starts of with a blast of sandalwood & cinnamon and a little bit of tobacco. Its warm, and a little spicy. After a couple of minutes the tobacco leaves and comes in the rose and the mandarin, which is very unique and sexy oddly. And that stays through out the whole fragrance. The dry down is a very smokey sandalwoody rosy vanilla. I love the dry down!

I like egoiste i really do, but its hard for me to pull off. I know this sounds weird, but it has this "olive" smell, the whole thing smell like olives. Every time i think about it i get turned off when smelling this, it also smells a bit like cat pee and sweat in the opening; i guess thats from the mixture of the mandarin and sandalwood. But who am I to judge its created by Jacques Polge! The pee smells leaves after 30 minutes which is good. I still love egoiste but thats the only downside.
5+ hours. 6/10 (I also think its dated.. I think egoiste is the dated Chanel and not Antaeus. )

samihardanian
samihardanian

One of the best perfume i've ever smelled!It's the best! 40+age & Very elegant!
I love it!
For me, this is one of the best fragrances ever!

longevity 10/10
sillage 10/10
scent +10/10
یک از کارهائی که همواره در کلکسیون من جایگاه ویژه ای را به خودش اختصاص داده است.

Blondine28
Blondine28

One of the smells that remind me of an old friend.. Male perfume, bit it goes super on women with strong temper:)))and i dont know why but i smell soar cherry inside it

Kain
Kain

A fantastic woody spicy fragrance for a mature man with great quality.
First of all, this fragrance smells classic but It doesn't smell dated. If you are under 30, i think this fragrance is not for you. you better be around 30 and up to use this fragrance. but anyway all depend on your taste. If you like a mature fragrance, go for it because it's a great one.
As you can see in the votes, this fragrance start with very natural and beautiful scent of cinnamon, sandalwood and brazilian rosewood.
You can easily detect these notes because they are really well balanced.
It's strong at the opening, but it's not in your face and harsh. as I said, very well balanced.
There are some sweetness and floral note from rose in here but not too much.
In the drydown you can smell those woodsy and spicy notes, but not as strong as the opening and a little more sweetness and some tobacco note which give this fragrance a little smoky vibe.
The smell dosen't change too much in the base.
Good projection and above average longevity.
يه عطر مردانه بسيار خوشبو با بوي كلاسيك كه البته بوش قديمي نيست اما بوش جوريه كه بدرد مرداي بالغ ميخوره
به نظر من بهتره حدود 30 سال يا بالاتر باشين
رايحه اوليه اين عطر تركيب بسيار خوشبو و طبيعي دارچين، چوب صندل و نوعي چوب اقاقيا هست به همراه كمي رايحه شيرين و كمي گل رز
البته اينو اضافه كنم كه بوي گل رز اينجا بد يا شبيه اين عطر مشهدي هاي "تي رز" نيست كه شما رو ياد حرم بندازه! خيلي ضعيف و مناسب هست بوش
در ادامه رايحه هاي جنگلي چوبها و دارچين وجود دارن اما ضعيفتر هستن. بوي عطر كمي شيرينتر ميشه و رايحه تنباكو اونو كمي تاريك ميكنه
در اواخر عمر عطر روي پوست رايحه اون تغيير چنداني نميكنه
در كل بخوام بوشو توصيف كنم، بوي چوب و دارچين با كمي رايحه گلها. خيلي خوشبو هستش اما بوش كاملا مردانه هست و از مركبات و رايحه هاي ميوه اي خبري نيست
پخش بو و ماندگاري مناسبي داره. كمي بهتر از متوسط

Pascal

Relaxing Vanilla, dry Cinnamon, sensual sandalwood, the smell of fired fruit, spices and smoky woods. Égoiste is a Masterpiece, dark, warm and masculine.

midos
midos

In one word : masterpiece!!!
go and try a sample, Im sure : you will never be disappointed! it's niche fragrances .
30+age

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

Something about Egoiste reminds me of home. Walking my New England town in the heart of the winter, passing coffee shops. With each step, brings a warm whiff of cinnamon swirl coffee cake and exotic Moroccan spices. It's classic without being old-school, and this is what I love about Egoiste. I get a L'instant Pour Homme vibe, however Egoiste has a slight attitude and is a bit more jagged edged. L'instant is a smooth talker with a more gradual dry-down. This is a 50 degree and below fragrance, anything more and it may not be so appealing... but a spritz to the wrist and a tap on the chest could be a nice touch on a warmer night. I break the laws of scent contrast all the time, and receive memorable positive feedback.

alexisbaires
alexisbaires

exquisite, delicious. are the words that come to my mind everytime i smell this masterpiece by monsieur polge.

Chimp
Chimp

Egoiste by Chanel is a very classy and elegant fragrance, it's warm spicy and woody with a delicious sweet touch underneath. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a sexy and mature male perfume.

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Spice and Wood at its best.
This is going to be hit or miss for many.

I personally like it...but not love, unlike many others.
It definitely has a lot going that many fragrances today do not..namely longevity, sillage, projection..all 3 are far beyond excellent.

Yet, the scent is not for everyone.
This is a mature scent..I personally think that this is a scent made for 30+ (25 is good too, but still there are better options).

Starts with extreme woods..and extreme spices...I detect a very nice musk as well, and the vanilla adds a tad bit of sweetness to this fragrance..
Very strong opening...but well blended, well made.

Has something very Guerlain-esque about it..
Not something I would make a signature or as part of my usual rotation...but that's just me
However, very much preferred over the Platinum version.

oxm
oxm

Hello, today I want to say something about Egoiste by Chanel, is a fragrance that is surprising at the beginning, seems to hear the notes of bitter orange, spices slowly amalgamated with the well-layered floral heart leaving a trace even of noble woods, the fund is very masculine with notes of tobacco and vanilla.
Personally I prefer Platinum Egoiste, but even that was built in solidity that makes it remarkable that one of the best perfumes in circulation despite the
years, I think it is very suitable for cold weather and for a more adult audience.
The fund tobacco can make it resemble (vaguely) to Gucci by Gucci pour homme, Egoiste, but is certainly more advanced although older.
very good

chanchita
chanchita

I LOVE this frag on a man! It makes me go nuts has just the right balance of spices. It's sex in a bottle for me and suits a man who knows that yet has a subtle, slightly rugged, sophisticated & intelligent approach.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

I have been pursuing for this fragrance for quite a long time, and finally got it. I love this smell, the sweet spicy scent that really warm without overpowering. Very good sillage, and the longevity is above average on me. This Egoiste is much much better than Egoiste Platinum, really good perfume!

Chanel Man
Chanel Man

Elegance. Egoiste is a masterpiece of cinnamon and sandalwood. Jacques Polge is a genius.

groovysilversurfer
groovysilversurfer

"Perversely delightful" -as mentioned below- says it all!

darrshanjvoraa

sweet rosy woody and spicy is what is all about , i really think that this is a very different fragrance for men frm the house of chanel. it has good longevity and the after shave lotion is pretty good.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

Very difficult to judge this with cold. I think the low temperatures affect its development in a bad way leading to a cacophonous passage from one stage to the next (I will have to check that in different condition just to make sure). Pleasing? Definitely. Interesting? yes. Masterpiece? perhaps. Do I love it? Hell no!

This is a strange case for me. I feel as if this fragrance is charming me, slowly leading me into its world but... it has all the right stuff if only it wasn't for that GIANT ZIT in its face! I feel charmed and disgusted at the same time and disgust wins in the end (if only marginally).

I can live with the synthetic sandalwood and that strange note that pretends to be cinnamon. The fruity aspect I can even find interesting with some good will. Don't really find a real rose in here but this could mean it is simply treated in a nonconformist way without any sharpness or greenness unlike the roses I'm used to. Tobacco can only be smelled one millimeter from my skin, not really adding to the aura. I can't find the leather at all. However there is a perversely delightful musk in there that makes this addictive. It has a civet like effect and I wonder why people haven't commented before (could it be that I am unwashed for too long?).

So what ruins it for me? This might seem as a detail to others but I find the composition overly lactonic. I feel it is the combination of notes used to create the sandalwood and cinnamon (both contain lactones naturally) and perhaps there is some peach-apricot lactone thrown in there for the fruity juicy vibe. The vanilla note is also milk like. The overall effect results in plain disgust for me as it simulates fatty goat's milk artificially sweetened. Everything is diluted in this milk-river and becomes quite insignificant. Nothing can cut the funky-milk and as it goes into the drydown some burnt sugar surfaces (probably tonka and perhaps even massoia). The milk is on a hot stove and someone needs to take it down but no one bothers,the sweetness and warmth become cloying at this point. In the steam that feels the room I see someone, like a blurry vision standing over the pot, slowly stirring it. He is covered in sweat and a HUGE ZIT grows on his nose. Now I know why this EdT disgusts me. It contains the note that comes closest to the smell of human pus, but somehow found its way in a channel bottle.

If you want to buy a good sandalwood perfume go for Diptyque's TamDao. If it has to be a Channel to make you happy go for Antaeus, and simply ignore the "skunky" opening. The patchouli oakmoss sandalwood drydown there is far more appealing than Egoiste.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Goodness gracious... I'm in love with an egoist... What can I do to escape from its charm? I am crazy for it... This I wouldn't call a sweet one... it has it all... crazily different, yet not weird. It's edgy (eg: sometimes you smell it and say what's this stuff???? I wouldn't dare to wear it...you need to be in a confident mood). It is somehow captivating because of that of course but it isn't a scent for everyday I think. Good sillage and longevity and ohhhh soooo sexy... when you suddenly get that glorious rose mixed with cinnamon and sandalwood... weak on my knees! The best Chanel for men imho because it is very classy but unique and not at all mainstreamish such as Bleu (bloohhhh). This can't be worn by everyone... it simply doesn't let you do so, unless it chooses you. Let me explain: I met this jewel 5 years ago and it's always driven me mad but I felt it wasnt for me... you cannot ask for it, it asks for you if it desires you to wear it... otherwise you may feel even ridiculous with it on. I still feel I'm not the chosen one... but some days I put it on and ohhh what a romance... it plays with me, makes me feel the most gorgeous fatty boy on earth and then... it leaves me and goes with someone else... what an egoist, isn't it? But it's got me enamoured.

To ChristianSetian:
I would not categorize this as a "sweet" fragrance per se. It is similar to the John Varvatos fragrances. Dark and rich. Has sort of a warm, smokey quality to it. When I first spray it on, it reminds me of a fireplace or a campfire. It doesnt really sit on the skin as much as it smolders on the skin from there on out. after a few hours it settles down. It does have kind of a sweet berry or dried fruit thing going on, but not overly sweet at all.
just my opinion...

ChristianSetian13
ChristianSetian13

Is this fragrance considered sweet? i haven't smelled it yet,if it is sweet is it sweet like 1 million?

Migalex
Migalex

I do like the smell of cinnamon which persists from the opening to the drydown, but find the opening an the first tow or three hours extremely unpleasant.It takes longer than two hours for the smell to get quite pleasant to me, but sillage is poor. Perfume must have projection, otherwise it should be as cheap as soap. I do not see the point of wearing a perfume only yourself and whoever sits their nose on your skin know you are wearing and only because you sprayed it yourself, because unless I do apply a lot, I cannot smell it when I wear it, and the first reason why I wear perfume is because I do like smelling it. Otherwise I find it a total waste of money which at most buys you an illusion. And I do not like the name, it is not appealing at all, actually the opposite, what is it that is so nice about egoisme?

drmath123
drmath123

I got this one in 1992. The juice was much stronger than today's version. It's still One of my favorite scent.

KillBill
KillBill

One of the best perfume i've ever had! Can not stop loving ;)))

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

Started wearing this in 1993 after smelling it on my dad. 18 years later..I'm still wearing it.

This is a classic! Smells so sophisticated.
This is a classic! Smells a bit dated...but I love it!

stephaniearianne
stephaniearianne

I smelled this on a stranger who I was dancing tango with---someone who I wouldn't have paid any attention to otherwise--and it brought me to my knees. I just wanted to suspend myself in eternity with my nose on his neck and drink him up. I asked him what he wore and I went out the very next day, bought a bottle, and doused my sheets, my scarves, and was high on endorphins all weekend! Never before have I had such a visceral reaction to a perfume. This one has SERIOUS mojo. In fact I have worn it and I have noticed the girls definitely DO take notice. Definitely not just me :)
Sorry to disappoint, but it is Egoiste Platinum!

ajee
ajee

I love it.......love it....love it

ravjan
ravjan

My first encounter with Egoiste was back in the 90s in the pre-cheap-flights era. I was travelling by coach from London. Dover-Calais. A stop-over at a duty-free shop. Wrist-tested it. Went to sleep back in the coach. Woke up in the morning all numb and aching and with this enchanting aroma discharged from my wrist. It was love at first sniff! Sweet, rich, spicy, gourmandish, leathery, enveloping, comforting... I got my first bottle a few months later and we became inseparable.
I don't use it every day. I don't use it for work. I don't use it during the day. The scent is too special for these. It's reserved for most significant occasions ... or when I want to pamper myself before bedtime. It's very warm and sexy. And the longevity is extraordinary. I love when it lingers after a few days beneath my shirts.
The ultimate manly rose! You've got to love yourself to fully appreciate it :)

rajndp
rajndp

Very strong ,cinnamon dominating throughout the perfume.Warm as well as liitle bit smoky.

darrshanjvoraa

first of all its a winter perfume with a beautiful rose ,woods and a good sweetness, this is really very nice, it really lasts for a very good long 7 hours and u definately get noted for what u r wearing, a sweet sophasticated edt for men , the bottle is good classic frm 90s.

princess_buttercup
princess_buttercup

This is the one that makes me conclude that my tastes are limited and that I am too picky with quality not being a discernible criteria...
So, when I was trying new fragrances and I hated all women's scents and wanted to give up, I read so much about egoiste and its unisex quality.
It is unisex, I agree. And it does smell fantastic. I defintiely get orange and cinnamon and warm woods. It's very sexy to me, and it smells high quality. It doens't smell spicy to me though. I'm missing the leather which I was hoping for...
Anyway, I really like the smell of it alot. An awful lot. I think I would love to smell it on someone else. And that's the odd thing. It smells amazing. I like the smell of it...after severl attempts though, I think I like to smell it, I just don't like to smell it on me Weird.
I am female, by the way, in case you didn't catch that :)

Carolina8
Carolina8

Superb.

dad hash
dad hash

Father strated wearing it since 1991, when it first came to Italy! when my father use to wear it i never liked it but suddenly when i started wearing it i like it cus its VERY SEXY and i JUST LOOVEE SEXXXX

lushallegories
lushallegories

Wearing Égoïste is one of my best fragrance experiences. It starts out with bright tangerine and rosewood, which I interpret as a bit like cinnamon. After a while the rose and coriander heart notes become a little pungent as they clash with the top notes, but this pungency fades. The rose note is sublime. The heart notes stay on my skin for several hours before the sandalwood and vanilla start to project, and what a surprising experience that is! I found the base projects quite a bit as it develops, and after twelve hours of wear, I was still getting compliments. It's a beautifully crafted and high quality fragrance.

migohar
migohar

nice perfume

bp
bp

Highly innovative for its time.
It still retains a certain style and presence.
Now it's time to give opportunity to more recent creations.
Nothing lasts forever.

jae
jae

My, my, my.... I was running around looking for rose fragrances and the best masculine rose was in my face for most of my lifetime. I get all of the notes in perfect harmony. I can think of a number of niche rose fragrances that Egoiste has cancelled my interest in. I think I'm becoming a Chanel man...

tavinver
tavinver

Elegant, spicy and cooooool, fantastic fragance, everlast, a Chanel Hit indeed

Heverton
Heverton

Egoiste opens up with a heavy wood aspect accompanied by a spicy aroma which trough time enters into agreement with rose, but not a pure rose, in here we have a semi-sweet one, thanks to the appearance of a light vanilla.

A rich fragrance, dense with a woody chord mixed with spices in a wonderful combination which makes me think about the edible aspect of Ambre Narguilè. Egoiste does not remembers at all his younger brother Platinum Egoiste which I also love. Do not blind buy it just because you enjoy platinum and they share the same name.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

I was always so sure that nothing out of Chanel could top Allure Sport that i just didnt bother with this one. I have to say though that its soon to be a great addition to my collection. I really like this one. Its almost like a refined toned down modern Calvin Klein Eternity in a way. I like the plyable rigidness of this. Clean, refreshing but distinctly masculine but not overbearing. nice going Chanel.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

I love this perfume; it's dark masculine with spices, where sandalwood and candied fruit add a mature sweetness, reflecting a contradictory personality, where good and bad boy take turns. It's the only perfume that although I love so much, I will not have it, just because I like smelling it on men.

jtd
jtd

A nice woody-fruity fragrance will be at least somewhat attractive to 75% of those who smell it. It is undemanding and hits the right buttons. It’s like a blooming flower in this respect. Who actively dislikes jasmine or rose? Egoiste uses this moderate prettiness to gear up to striking beauty.

Egoiste is a pseudo-oriental that beat the Lutens ‘new oriental’ Feminite du Bois to the fruity/cedary punch, but replaced restraint with largesse. Where you might admire FdB with a “well done” you just want to ooch Egoiste’s cheeks squealing “you are TOO cute!” FdB has a growing harmony that is a function of its radiance. Egoiste is a big diva-like melody with built-in backup singers.

Egoiste composes an accord that hits all the right tones we love about sandlewood---vanillic, creamy, fruity-sweet, at once rounded and sharp. I find the actual woodiness, though, to be a cedar, rosewood and musk blend of perfect pitch paired with vanilla and who knows what else. I think Egoiste has survived since the 1980s fully intact, despite the sandlewood drought, because it emulates sandlewood the way Guerlain’s Nahema calls to mind a rose: by employing a superb chemical geometry to create an olfactory allusion. The herbal touch completes the picture and creates a medicinal tone that keeps the sweet creaminess from crossing the line to toothaching.

Egoiste makes me wonder (other than exceptions such as Dior Homme and Guerlains’s Heritage) why designer men’s fragrances don’t strive for beauty instead of tolerating the low expectation of skimpy, vernacular handsomeness as a goal.

JohnMc
JohnMc

The only place that I have found in and around the London area that sells this is Selfridges in London. I was informed by the sales assistant there on the Chanel counter that they were the only concession who sells this and that other Chanel concessions around the country have ceased to sell the originalm, in favour of the brother - Platinum Egoiste.
As for the scent itself, I am an avowed admirer. The warmth and sensuality and the strong sandalwood notes really appeal to me. It seems that I must be in the minority in that most popular Chanel offerings do not evince any strong emotions in me - with the exception of the less popular ones; Egoiste and Antaeus. Both of whose flacons alone ooze style and sophistication.

seand7373
seand7373

This is my all time favorite. I almost can't wait until winter to be able to wear it.

Fizzy
Fizzy

It´s really very good parfum for men. Unfortunately, my guy is not happy with this name - egoiste. He hates egoists and wanted not see this bottle on his shelve. I am so sad, this scent was so fruity and sweet, I love it! This stupid bottle....

ssslus
ssslus

I remember wearing this fragrance when I was 18. I have tried and wore so many others during the years but a few months ago, I came along another bottle and bought it just to remind myself of "old times".
I have to say that I have never had a better fragrance. Can't get enough. Classic, absolutely timeless and lasts forever. The only time I do not wear it is during the summer. It is too heavy for hot days.
If anyone knows where to get deodorant or after shave (NOT Platinum), please let me know. It is impossible to find.

I remember wearing this fragrance when I was 18. I have tried and wore so many others during the years but a few month ago, I came along another bottle and bought it just to remind myself of "old times".

ION
ION

"Egoiste" is a perfume I kept wearing during the 90's and when I say "during" I mean that for the whole decade that was the only perfume to wear!
Nothing else quite smells like it.
Its sharp, clinical and slightly annoying start, quickly gives its place to a unique bulgarian rose/carnation accord with an exquisite cinnamon after taste!
I am sure this is the perfume with the most pleasant drydown on the market it really becomes better as time goes by (much like a good red wine of a fine variety!).
Girls loved it on me, they just hugged me and kissed me [but that happens anyway, even when I don't wear a thing;)]
One could safely say that it smells outdated now, a little bit too classy and heavy or too spicy and warm, or quite simply not fresh, minimal and straightforward enough.
Pity.

inquisitor
inquisitor

(These are preliminary notes from one day of wearing Egoiste and mostly for my own use since it takes more than a day for a proper review):

The beginning is great in my opinion. The opening has is a very woody scent which makes it stand out from a lot of other frequently used colognes. The problem for me is that this doesn't seem to last very long and after a couple of hours I'm left with a sweet, almost cloy powdery scent which is far more feminine than the rugged woodsy tones in the beginning. It also seems to lack the depth of the initial touch. IMHO: very strong start, weak and disappointing finish. I much preferred the top notes rather than the rest so at least wear it for a day or so before you decide if the overall cologne is worth it since first impressions could be deceiving here. Some might like the dry down too but I thought it was kind of uninspired in comparison with the strong wood start.

TokoUnion
TokoUnion

Great for Dining out at a French Fine Cuisine Restaurant !

querelle
querelle

So Chanel.. No other masculine could've been more brilliantly derived from a HUGE feminine like Coco. Actually, Mr Polge asked Coco to present him the man of her dreams and Coco presented him Egoiste!
Solid as a rock. I love it's heart with the rose and spices (Coco minus the flowers) and that sensual s(c)andalwood boosting the masculinity in it.
And yes, it still smells the way it smelled when it came out 20 years ago..
If egoism smells like that, then I'm more than happy to declare myself an Egoiste.

PS: I couldn't agree more with lillybee!

Grottola

Égoïste is a men's fragrance that I believe every man with an interest in fragrances should at least try or get to know in his lifetime. I don't necessarily think it's the kind of scent that will "WOW" you on first sniff - although it can be - but I do believe this scent is very easy to get into, and enjoy without qualms. It is unique. It is one of the main reasons Chanel is my favorite house. Unfortunately, though, it is getting harder and harder to find, and is getting lost in the shadow of its younger brother, Platinum Egoiste, which I find funny, because Egoiste is a much better scent. Oh well, such is marketing.

The scent itself is a slightly sweet, woodsy scent that is oriental in tone. Roses, yes. A bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in there, too. I don't like coriander, generally. Coriander is cilantro, and I don't like it in my food or my fragrances. It works here without a problem. A very comforting dry down leads to a soothing, creamy sandalwood and vanilla base. Are you a fan of Gucci Pour Homme II? Then you'd like this, probably.

I believe that Égoïste is a very pleasant, comforting scent. It is unique enough that a man can choose it for a signature, and yes, I find it quite masculine despite the sweetness. The only problem I have with it is the inability to find it easier. Oh well. Also, the longevity and sillage are great, as expected. It is discreet, but lasts a while. This creates a warming aura rather than a cloud of powerhouse sillage. So, if you get the chance, please try Égoïste, gentlemen, (and ladies too, if you wish!) this is one of Jacques Polge's masterpieces. One of my all-time, top favorite cold weather scents. Works for formal and casual occasions alike.

shenanigans
shenanigans

Is there room for me in that shirt? Never mind. Just take it off. And by the way.....I am going to want to wear it.......after.
Very romantic stuff.

bubblem3
bubblem3

Otro de mis perfumes favoritos para ellos :)
Soy mujer y me vuelve loca esta fragancia, huele delicioso! Como arroz con leche pero sin perder masculinidad aww es tan hermoso ese olor! me dan ganas de comer a la persona que la usa ♥
For me, best men's fragance ever.

GMK
GMK

This is not merely a Fragrance , its a masterpiece by an artist, what a beautiful , arrogant, sweet sandalwood scent. Its always been a delight wearing Egoiste.

Love it more than any other Chanel Men's Fragrance.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Without a doubt the best sandalwood I've encountered. Lightly spiced and full of dark, stewed fruits, Egoiste is an exercise in civilized olfactory restraint. It's very rich and spicy with cinnamon and touches of leather, but never steps into wilder territory. That's fine, except it's pretty much what all Chanel masculines are - overly polite. There needs to be something more exciting here, more daring and different. As it stands, Egoiste is a little dull, and I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been discontinued.

Mr. Nose
Mr. Nose

Très intéressant. Égoïste is amazing.

I found it elegant, bold and really addictive. Such a singular fragrance, almost exotic - and since it fits the rhyme - even erotic.

Although you, reading this, think the opposite, I consider it a masculine perfume. Great for cold wheather, sure. Chanel Égoïste stands out.

Despite I used to think the original Egoiste commercial was a bit too sexist and (slightly) ridiculous, I still find this composition to be incredibly compelling and enjoyable. Candied fruits, woods and spices on a vanilla base. A perfect oriental fragrance that's constructed on a accurate balance between sweetness and warmness. Among my favorites from Chanel, an epic release to check out if you're not already familiar with it.

persefonex
persefonex

Is a very elegant and sophisticated fragrance. Is not for boys; is for gentlemen. Is for men that know what really want. I think that is the fragrance that would wear a man whom wife would use Chanel Nº 5.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

Start sharp with some oily effect.
Dry down to a sweet cinnamon woody tobacco smell.
The sweetness is great in egoiste.
Very good for fall and winter day and night.
One of the best of chanel.
Long lasting and has good sillage.

mediterranean
mediterranean

Daring and sensual,nothing sporty here or lighthearted,very attractive and warm.

Cylob
Cylob

This drove me mad the first time I smelled it 20 years ago and it still does. In other words: a classic!
Makes me happy when I'm sad, makes me comfortable when I feel uneasy, keeps me warm when I'm cold, makes me strong when I feel weak.
One of a kind which hopefully will be never discontinued. The good thing: Chanel usually doesn't...

All those years later I've found his brother and sister as well: Platinum / Bois des Iles. Especially Bois des Iles has a striking simularity on the drydown.
All three will be in my collection by the end of the year. And will stay there for years more to come.

Egoiste: I love you!!

Brettyboy
Brettyboy

I have been waiting for so many years to sample this fragrance which seems to have aquired mythical status on these fragrance sites. I could not find this at all but finally tracked down a 100ml bottle....only to find the biggest let down of my scent smelling obsession.
I get a little bit of fruit and spice and then its all rosewood and sandalwood from there. I do not find it remotely sexy or romantic... in fact it smells like a gingerbread cookie that has been left in an old mans tweed jacket....my heart is broken.

Oh, how delicious! Egoiste you are divine. Why this fragrance is not sold in Australian stores is something I am still questioning.

At first spray, I could have sworn I smelt raisin toast smothered in butter and jam. Egoiste opened rather gourmand-like, spicy and sweet. The raisin bread smell stuck around for awhile, however the spices became much more prominent and bold.

Egoiste has quite a mesmerizing spiced fruit smell, further highlighted by a rich, Bulgarian rose note. On my skin this fragrance doesn't smell masculine at all, in fact it could pass as a feminine fragrance quite easily. Its somewhat fascinating sugary-ness is really captivating on my skin and I can see myself wearing this alot during Winter and Autumn.

I find this fragrance quite sexy and wild. I like that no inhibitions, 'take me as I am' attitude that this fragrance so cleverly conveys. Egoiste has this beautiful warmth created by the spices, (in particular the cinnamon), counteracting with the rose, vanilla and dried fruits.

The sillage and lasting power are the final touches which seal the deal on this outstanding fragrance. Chanel's masculine offerings, are in one word, masterpieces.

Dcarlo
Dcarlo

Egoiste was the first perfume I bought for myself. It was the best male scent ever and I used to wear it for almost 10 years until I changed to Allure and gave Egoiste a break.
I could smell vanilla,cinnamon, mandarin and amber on my skin and that was magic.
However I tried it a couple of months ago and it was the most dissapointing experience ever. Something has changed!!!
It smells now like my great grandfather's night table's drawer. The fragrance is not the same on my skin anymore, all the magic has gone somehow.
I heard that Egoiste was reformulated and I really cant understand why Chanel would do such a silly thing with this former masterpiece.
Well, all I can do is keep on my memories the original and gorgeous Egoiste I bought back in the 90's and forget about wearing it again.

ROUSAK
ROUSAK

I agree that it is special, nothing smells like it(unique)but it does not last long ( very close to your skin).platnuim and Anastus are better options than this one

I was thrilled to get a chance to sample this one. First of all, this is only Chanel from the early days that isn't overpowering on my skin. It's not exactly woody spicy, but more like floral woody musk, I think. Egoiste starts out fresh, almost sour, but quickly become powdery and strong. Later the scent is filled with beautiful tobacco incensey musk. Also it gives me just a bit of Chanel No.5 feel. To my surprise, I don't get any floral notes, but I can smell a really nice rose at the cap and its sprayer; Weird. The scent is generally beautiful. Not for a young crowd nor for a newbie who is in search for the first fragrance. It needs someone with a bit of experience to truly appreciate this work of art.

Nimue666

I'm a girl and I love wearing it. I'm too new to give a sophisticated review, but I can give my emotional response. It's like being wrapped in warm cookie dough. Wonderfully comforting. But never too sweet. No harshness like some men's fragrances. No unpleasant surprises 20 minutes into it. Long-lasting in a good way...you never wish this one would just finish and disappear.

mrs.Bond
mrs.Bond

Girls can wear this also,very very sexy I have to say...

2 eyeteach12
There r similarities with this and Allure, rose and spices, but it is not same. Especially Allure's mid notes make this similarity.

DC-8
DC-8

Once I had complained the disappointing overdone spicy parts, specially cinnamon and carnation notes of Egoiste. Later on, I changed my mind and even purchased a 100ml bottle of it!!

Now my opinion has totally changed, as it really appeared so nice on my skin:

As you spray it, you feel a fire burn, due t the warm scent that launches around... Top notes start up with some woody and classic smell, but quickly turn out to be so sweet and warm, as the heart notes launch. There the beauty of this frag reveals with rosy/spicy waves in a mild, sweet and very attractive style with a touch of creamy powdery notes. The base notes make it a bit woody, but yet the sweet spicy part is shining present.

All in all, a very cute scent. Some people may say it's sort of feminine, but I don't agree. I can tell that this frag among Dior Homme and Bulgari Black, are some exceptional wonderful masculine scents, being classic and modern meanwhile, targeting the men whom are so confident and independent, as being said in the Chanel website about Egoiste. :-)

Longevity and projection are totally satidfactory, if not to mention perfect.

Hey lest I forget... Ladies love this frag as well! Yes! It does work out! ;-)

A real masterpiece. I beg the pardon from Chanel and Mr. Polge for my former review about this cologne! :-)

Nimue666

Cookies still warm from the oven
Love love love

IamWoman
IamWoman

Egoiste is a Chanel masterpiece! It is clean, crisp, authoritative, classic, and commanding; yet, it blends and mellows with warm woods, dry florals and spices. It is elegant and sophisticated to say the least. It reminds me very much of my love, my husband...an officer and a gentleman...who loved this as my gift to him.

bouktache
bouktache

une fragrance comme du jamais vu ni entendu, mais qu'on peut sentir de très loin: Egoïste by Chanel est un parfum pas comme les autres, je lai découvert en 1999 par erreur, car un ami à moi me l'avait envoyé de Paris au lieu de m'acheter Egoïste Platinium il avait acheté Egoïste, j'avais pas trop aimé au début mais avec la venue du Printemps j'avais découvert un nouveau monde; un nouveau parfum avec une odeur originale et qui dure très longtemps.
Bouktache Reda.

Answering Lotofire, I must say I'm positive I know I bought an original.

I never buy copies on any circunstances.

I don't blame the scent. I don't say it is good or bad.

It just doesn't give a good result on me.

I tested 2 other scents from Chanel - Pour Monsieur and Antaeus.
There is only one that lasts on me - Antaeus. This one I like and it works fine. Is practicaly a 24 hour scent on my skin.
The other 2 are a waste of money in my case.

Lotofire
Lotofire

mmm...quite strange the last comments, are you guys sure you bought an original? because i have this and it lasts forever...

The most big delusion I had.

The scent is pleasent but after a while it goes off and to smell something I need to put my nose on my skin. Nobody ever noticed I had this. My girlfriend told me she only get the scent in the minute I put it. After that there is nothing left.

Probably it doesn't work on me.

PávelHenry

I detected something about Bois des Iles in Egoiste!
Nobody detected this?

RobertaB
RobertaB

I really love this too - very unusual, bringing lots of comments. Was able to pick up more at a perfume shop, as it doesn't seem to be available anymore? This one reminds me of Venezia, by Laura Biagiotti, which I also love.

raka
raka

Warning! This is Magnatic Perfume So Be Careful When You Were it!!
Egoiste... Nothing Matching You
Whate can I Say? Masculine,Power.Elegant,its Day& Night
Its Cold &Hot.Its Asignal on You.Egoiste is The Legend Of CHANEL story
Master Piece Of The Fragrance Masters.
Sorry Monsieur Jacques Polge I Will Stay Love You Forever

a masterpiece, smell very similar to Coco, but with a masculine character.. for me this can be unisex... very sensual, one of the best and elegant perfumes ever created... a trully Chanel... complex, beautiful, rich, sofisticaded, classic... a must try....

andrew85
andrew85

oh my god, the perfect floral vanillic scent for a man ever created... so sensual, sofisticaded, special for winter months.... " a creamy rose- vanilla combo" masterpiece...

LadyDi
LadyDi

When I smell it on my man, it makes me want to jump his bones. The most exotic, sexy male smell I have every experienced. It is my man's signature scent because I love it. Old Fashioned, classic and bold.

Perfect?
Not for me...
The dry-down has something like wet cigar...
Fearful...

Volta
Volta

Absolutely perfect! Very sexy, masculine and long-lasting... Far better than Egoiste Platinum

Floritica64
Floritica64

Definitely in my top 10 fragrances of all time. I never tire of the wafting spicy combo... of cinnamon, vanilla and sandalwood. YUM!

zvoncica
zvoncica

Firstly, there are little or none other who came near the beauty of Egoist. The smell of men with exaggerated sense of self importance. Reckless saying I am here, mind my presence, anticipate my arrival, enjoy the generated tremble.

Egoist is sweet smelling aphrodisiac. Carnation battle in cinnamon arena. Coca cola gummy bear in child’s pocket. Leather whip of Roman legion. Vanilla lotion on Michelangelo’s David. Corpuscle stud among wild horses.

I know one egoist wearing Egoist.
Charming, challenging, Chanel.

Malegria
Malegria

A boozy, thick cherry liquor, pits and all...I steal it from my husband all the time! I know there is nothing in the notes that would give such result, but it is cherry for me - with a dark red rose and carnation, too, thrown in for good measure.
I think it is a perfect unisex, and even the smokey dry down did not make me change my mind. However...I would not call it sexy. It is a mood upper, a brow-lifter, slightly insolent-and-not-ashamed-of-it scent. If I could connect it to a face, I would call it Robert Downy Jr.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I was revolted by the smell of this stuff. To me it has an acrid, super-synthetic burning plastic-like note that permeates everything it touches like a plague and won't go away. I can't get beyond this to smell what others evidently find so pleasant. If maleness is epitomized by smelling like an industrial waste incinerator, then by all means go for it. I wish I knew what that note is, because it's used in quite a few perfumes. I can only conclude that many people can't smell it.

rithacha
rithacha

Growing up in the sheltered US, I've never met a French man. If I ever do, I'll be sure to ask him what scent he wears. But anyway, I can't relate to the reviewers who see Egoiste as a sophisticated French gentleman who was bred on expensive clothes, gourmet foods, and thorough-bred horses.

But first, the scent. It lasts from the wee hours of the morning until nighttime on my skin. The sillage is AMAZING, seriously the strongest in my wardrobe, and I have to apply this one with a very light hand. As a woman, I adore the scent of this on my own skin, but I've been getting some strange looks so I mostly wear this during my private days off like a dirty secret, shameful I know. Well, it's a VERY masculine scent that I don't think women can pull off comfortably, but beautiful.

For me, Egoiste is an American golden boy all grown up. Adventurous since birth. In high school, he played football and baseball, and his glory moments were always in sweat. Kind of rough around the edges, but always a gentlemen. Then he grew up and gained some polish (and learned how to smoke a cigar, definitely smell that tobacco!!). So in the end . . . your first impression of him is rosy and vaguely plummy. But an hour or two with him and you'll see that he's not all pretentious sophistication under that expensive suit. He has a warm personality, oozing with sandalwood and mahogany, very earthy and woody. He's also sweet and comforting, with a dominant nod to cinnamon and a little wisp of vanilla. Mostly I see him as a very masculine character who grew up kicking balls around a dusty ranch, and later fought his way up the corporate ladder.

Maybe his earthy roots are why he's so proud all the time.

Robert White
Robert White

One of the best things Chanel has ever done...sweet and soicy but not cloying...actually, it manages to pull off the neat trick of seeming both sweet and dry at the same time. This is what you would get if you took a Serge Lutens heavy oriental perfume and deleted his signature cedar accord...seems light and heavy at the same time, big sillage and good staying power...while I am a man who's cool with his own inner androgyny, I think the perceived "gayness" of this stuff by some people is imposed by cultural factors...Antaeus was a HUGE hit with the gay guys in the eighties (which I didn't know back then...and I blithely went on my way wearing it from '85 to '87...no wonder I got hit on so much)and this is probably a case of "guilt by association" Besides, come on already, how can something innately smell gay? You could only associate a fragrance with sexual orientation (BTW, this is a reaction to some earlier reviews)because you've seen a lot of gay folks wearing it. Whatever, I really like this and will continue wearing it.

smp
smp

Egoiste is a perfume who has good level, elegant, with class...You can appreciate very easily the cinnamon and the vanilla. In my opinion this scent must be used for a man who has to use elegant clothe for the urban life...

The video says exactly what this scent was aimed too LOL!
I used to like it on men. I can't see it as unisex fragrance, but tastes are very personal. For me it's absolutely masculin, strong, warm and quite naughty! I smell mostly mahogany, carantion and leather.
Best worn in winter and small doses. It has an aggressive personality, not rude or gross, rather a refined and elegant aggressivity. Maybe this is the reason why some may find it conservative. It smells like a rich and powerful man would like to smell around and perceived by others, either men or women: elegant and dominant, a real Alpha-male!
I agree that Egoiste is like Coco without flowers. They together well and I associate both of them to people who want to make a statement.
It can also go with Allure or Chance in a dominant male/frilly female couple.
For sure it was a big novelty when it came out, a little shock maybe, like original Poison has been for women.
It didn't loose appeal with time, but neither gained a new one.
The problem with these famous fragrances is that they become too famous and too smelled around, so they loose some of their unicity.
I first smelled this on a few men in 1990 and it made a BIG statement to my then naive nose and imagery! Then I started smelling it on the plumber, the bus driver, at least 5-6 friends and bfs of friends, collegues, managers at job interviews and even a few teeneagers mingled with hormonal changes.
I still prefer Egoiste over so many newer male scents, but in the long term it can be a little boring and makes me too alerted or too tired.
I recently smelled this on a gorgeous gay friend :-O This is man is gorgeous in himself, probably even sweaty and dirty after working out and a light whift of Egoiste makes him to die for. Too bad he's gay and not interested in women. I have to content myself sniffing him like a cat when we meet.

flamenco
flamenco

One of my all-time favorites. So spicy and woodsy, with a definite sharp edge. For me it makes the air seem to vibrate. In fact, it's so good that I wrote a short poem about it. :) A masterpiece, and I'm lucky to have a large bottle, so I'll be an Egoiste for the foreseeable future!

curtis.w
curtis.w

Despite its somewhat floral character, Egoiste, in my opinion, is a rich and spicy, woody fragrance with a definite masculine character. Carnation has a spicy scent to it and the rose is hidden behind so much spice and woods that it doesn’t do much more than soften their harshness. I’m so glad that cooler weather is on its way so I can get more wear out of this, as I got a bottle in Spring and don’t feel that it goes very well with the warm weather.

Egoiste opens heavy on the spices and woods, especially on cinnamon, though I smell clove as well, and rosewood. And when I say heavy, I mean hea-vy. At the outset, it has the ability to overwhelm, so spray lightly and carefully, and also, look (sniff?) carefully for a bit of olive in it (I don’t know what’s in there that makes it smell of olives, but it definitely does, which I found surprising and enjoyable). As it starts to dry down, it softens quite a bit, and, though the cinnamon and rosewood are still at the forefront, the rose starts to come through. Like I said before, the rose only serves to soften what could have been a harsh blend of spices and woods and doesn’t go so far as to push the scent into distinctly feminine territory (though I’m sure women could, and do, wear it as well). The drydown gets much sweeter, with the vanilla and amber coming through more than the rose, though it remains, as always, mostly spices and woods. It lasts well and projects well, and also has a sort of timeless feel, reminiscent of sleigh rides, hot cider, scarves, top hats, and roaring fires. A classic, though I had a bit of trouble tracking it down (don't confuse this with it's younger, blander brother, Egoiste Platinum). Definitely worth a try if you get the opportunity.

lillybee
lillybee

Egoiste is pure gourmandise. I like it when I'm in the mood for Coco Chanel but want it without the flowers. Egoiste is like a woodier and spicier Coco (I have the Eau de Toilette) without the powdery flowers. At the beginning it's like plum compote on me just like Coco then I smell cinnamon, woods and vanilla all the way to the base notes with a hint of dusky rose. Irresistable.

Woody spicy + Roses.
Rose is the main player here, supported by spices and woods with a hint of sweetness, probably vanilla and cinnamon, I also detect leather and tobacco.
I don't know why but Chanel Egoiste always makes me so calm and feel cool.
It is the most edible fragrance I ve ever come across, at least I feel like that.
I think this can be worn by woman as well.
Actually I like rose in man fragrances but be sure 2try b4 buy, u may not like it.

Additional Note: Younger brother Chanel Egoiste Platinum has nothing similar with this one except the shape of the bottle and the cap.

glitteralex
glitteralex

I adore this scent on myself, a 40 something woman. It is definitely a unisex frag. The liberal use of warm spice and florals is in perfect harmony. In the shop, I suggest it to men regularly. Strangely enough, the younger male set that embraces such marine sweet scents as Chrome Legend, Armani Diamonds for Men, the Davidoff spawn, etc. react poorly to this scent. The notes are too grand and soft for their taste. Even those who favor metrosexual scents such as CK Scene, Prada Homme, and the new Versace Homme are confounded by Egoiste. I have had better success with the men who enjoy the sweeter frags such as CH 212 Sexy for Men, Intimately Beckham, Givenchy Pi, and the new celeb-rapper scents. In general, though, it is the 50 year old European gentleman who goes for Egoiste. European men are not so concerned with the perceived "masculinity" of their scent, and so can appreciate this lovely composition.

A real winner. In my mind it is a warm comforting man scent in the vein of YSL's M7 and Dior's Farenheit.

Poisonivyprince
Poisonivyprince

a very clean and crisp fragrance this reminds me of my dad he used to wear this all the time. he loved everything chanel. sometimes my mom wears chanel no. 5 when she misses him. he has passed away but everytime i smell this i like to think hes still around.

guest_Oslo-Fjord
guest_Oslo-Fjord

For me, this is the best fragrance ever! I have many fragrances in my collection, but this is my absolute favourite. The beginning is spicy, and after a while it dry down to a gourgeos rose-vanilla scent.. I love it. A classic fragrance for sophisticated men with good taste!

vdxl
vdxl

A great oriental which is not at all dated,thing that I cannot say about its sequel, Platinum Egoiste. I perceive this as being younger, more interesting, long lasting, sexy. But for sure this perfume is not for hanging out in teen clubs and it is not for teens. You must be at least 20, let's say 21 to wear this. It is great and thank god, it does smell like a "clean" oriental, with no civet.

shamus1
shamus1

To say that Egoiste is conservative is like saying that Acqua di Gio is unique. Egoiste is anything but conservative. It is perhaps the most spicy, peppery fragrance I have ever smelled. That extreme spiciness mixes with some vanilla and sandalwood to create one of the most unique fragrances I've ever smelled. I've never smelled anything, in fact, quite like Egoiste since. It's not really my cup of tea, but my wife wears it, and it smells great on her! Does that sound "conservative" to you?! Although it probably doesn't quite suit me, Egoiste is a very good fragrance

minimalist
minimalist

conservative??? It was a breakthrough and still is!

Olesandra
Olesandra

I smell pure fresh cinnamon in it! It's seems sophisticated, but actually smells simple and harmonious, like most of chanel's scents.

Leo
Leo

Very elegant...
You can smell the damask rose..
Dont think that you will be smelled as an old woman.. No..no..

A very masculine rose!! although the opening is spicy enough.
Use it, and you can ask your girl friend (or wife) to use jean paul gaultier classique..

A perfect couple of fragrance!

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

LOL I have to laugh about statements being made on this to be a very conservative and male scent. I was introduced to this what I consider "very gay" scent in my "coming out years" around 1992/93 when it had already been on the market for some time. The fact it has rose and carnation in its core does not "ring" the conservative bell. Yes, it is a very strong scent and I can only recommend it for the cold season winter. If this scent had a colour it ought to be royal purple: it smells of plums, dark purple roses, cinnamon, carnations, clover, and rich and warm woods....so think heavy and "in 'yer face". Personally it suits only dark types of men and it exudes: rich, gay or bisexual, feminine touch yet strong attitude, sophisticated and intelligent and it screams "I am an individual that does not want to be pigeon-holed! So nothing for conservative or sporty "Timbaland" types. I group this perfumes with the following other brands: "Hypnose" Lancome, "Opium" YSL, "Prada Uomo" Prada, to name but a few...oh and "Egoiste Platinum" is a COMPLETE different scent!! They might have/ should have called it something completely different altogether.

honeypoppyseed
honeypoppyseed

The quintessential "male" fragrance, however I don't know if that's a good thing. I feel like I've smelt this on a million guys, and typically from a mile away (the way most guys apply scent). However, if none of this is a problem for you, than by all means: Buy Egoiste. It's a sharp STRONG-G-G scent, and for a certain guy I'm sure that is just perfect.

fqjcior
fqjcior

One of the best I've had. Love especialy the drydown and the rose note. This fragrance is one of a kind. It is not for everybody :-) You have to be an egoiste to wear it. So am I ;-)

ticalau
ticalau

It's the best! For me it's the fragrance ever!!! And i do like this more than egoist platinum ;)Love it

afraafra
afraafra

Great sandalwood drydown or is it leather?..the opening is surprisingly spicy though.

Egoiste by Chanel 4.18 out of 5 based on 1623 ratings and 280 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Egoiste fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Egoiste, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Egoiste by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Egoiste by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.