Designers » C » Floral Green « Groups

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa Chanel for women

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa Chanel for women
dislike

leather

Piquant floral iris perfume from French Rivier, 28 La Pausa is filled with contrasts. It is radiant yet delicate, earthy yet powdery, with a soothing and calming character.

It represents a delicate, woody-floral fragrance, clear, silky and piquant.

It belongs to the luxurious collection Les Exclusifs de Chanel, available in bottles of 200 and 400 ml. Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Polge.

Orris Root Rose Leather

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa Fragrance Reviews

If there was ever a perfume that could smell just like dust, this would be it. I have used orris root powder when making cosmetics. It is grey, and it smells just like the opening notes of 28 La Pausa. At first the smell is oppressive and a bit depressing. I am not one of those people who match mood to perfume, but I felt those things when sniffing this.

In my town we have a Victorian mansion that was turned into a museum, so people can see how a wealthy family lived in those days. This smells like a lace table cloth that covers a table that has not been dusted in 100 years. Kind of sad yet full of memories of the gilded days when there was livelihood in the house. Memories of dinner parties with silver tea pots and children being chased by their nannies. In the heart there is a floral note and a touch of citrus that bring some much-needed cheer. Leather is extremely tame.

I like it. It does contain that remarkable Chanel-aide, an elegance and gracefulness that makes even this melancholy, distant perfume seem remarkable. It is certainly unique, chic, and simply well-done.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Love at first sniff.

Yes, I'm a lover of iris/orris; I love damp autumn leaves, rainy pavements, ink stained desks and the wonderful sense of nostalgic yet erotic yearning that orris/iris conjures up for me.

This is the perfume of Catherine Deneueve's rain-soaked trench coat flung carelessly over a chair, before embarking on an illicit affair with an erudite, impossibly handsome author!

I know I go against the grain by finding this a million times more seductive than any gourmand, but then again I'm not interested in blokey men or footballers. I fall in love with erudite, talented, enigmatic (yet handsome!) authors and musicians, so if that sounds like you, wear this when you're in the mood for love. But not when you feel low, because in a low mood this may make you feel a bit rainy in your soul - maybe not a bad thing when you're in creative mood mind you

That's my personal take on 28 La Pausa. A more down to earth decription is - inky, earthy yet light, subtle, skin-scent sillage yet distinct, scenty and redolent of timeless elegance

I dislike most of Polge's creations such as Allure, Coco M and Chance but this is excellent. A full bottle is absolutely neccessary!

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Unfortunately, all I get from this is wet paper soaked in stale flower water.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. It reminds me of Infusion d`Homme/Infusion d'Iris by Prada a bit. It has below average projection and moderate longevity on my skin.

JaiTee
JaiTee

28 has a delicate green, yet powdery openng. I was taken aback by that contradictory opening and didn't believe it, almost.

The powder then faded away and left behind a fresh, green & light floral scent. This is the phase I am in right now. The sillage is very close to skin with one spritz.

Will update again once I have arrived at the drydown.

Edit: again, what an unexpected journey. The drydown has revealed a quiet, citrusy note. No sourness...more an allusion to citrus.

There is still a very light hint of floral, so together, it is very clean, refreshing, innocent.

28 is likeable, perfect, even for spring and early summer mornings before stifling heat sets in for the day.

Eos
Eos

28 La Pausa is a thing of utter beauty on the right skin chemistry. The opening of this is breathtaking: a gorgeous gray-toned chalky powdered iris note hangs in the air enticing you to sniff and sniff again as you evaluate its pleasing texture and softness. This hangs around for about 30 minutes before the perfume evolves into what on my skin chemistry is a semi disturbing rooty orris and vetiver drydown. It is not cold so much as acidic and slightly indolic. I can see how some reviewers likened this to a green tea note, but on my skin it is much more metallic-green-citric and lacks the roundness and duskiness that tea usually imparts to a scent. Perhaps this is my perception of what has been labeled a leather note in the pyramid above. Whatever it is, it was hard for me to appreciate this scent once this becomes the prevalent note and the powder disappeared.

Given the divergent reviews, I am convinced that one's opinion and perception of 28 La Pausa is highly dependent on whether or not their skin chemistry projects this final note. For me the dry down is hard to like, but the opening is sheer heaven! Definitely try it on your skin and DON'T blind buy.

Hilaire
Hilaire

La Pausa is perfect. It is the exact evocation of the spirit of the materials it is made from. Orris is at once earthy, woody, boozy, hay-like, powdery, rooty, carroty, fresh, vegetal and dry.

La Pausa captures all of these elements and does so with charm, restraint and elegance. It's longevity isn't great, and it's sillage is moderate at best. But La Pausa isn't about wafting a huge cloud of stench around and making vulgar display for hours on end. It's about a personal and entirely introspective enjoyment of one of nature's most subtly gorgeous scents.

There are four great perfumery Irises which all Iris fans should know well, if not own. Iris Poudre is one (Rich heady, chock full of natural orris), Iris Silver Mist (the ultimate expression of synthetic Iris dryness and melancholy), Après L'Ondee (the vintage version is a masterpiece for all time), and this La Pausa which showcases the true spirit of Chanel which contrary to popular belief isn't Aldehydes but Iris. If you want to know what real orris smells like this one is a must sniff, if you love perfumery "Irises" then you should love this.

10/10.

grayspoole
grayspoole

I sampled Chanel No. 28 as I am searching for an iris perfume that will remind me of the sweet ripe scent of living iris flowers as they bloom in the midsummer sun. No. 28 is an entirely different and much less satisfying experience. For me, it begins with a sharp, dry, and almost medicinal note. There is no sweetness or lushness, just a very dry and powdery smell. Perhaps it is this note that suggests vetiver to some reviewers, but I usually like the sharp deep woodiness of vetiver, while No. 28 just feels thin and dusty and dry. After no more than ten minutes, there is only a faint trace of scent left. In a hour, I have just the slightest hint of soap left on me, and I am ready to apply something more long lasting and interesting. No. 28 seems like a somewhat pleasant toilet water rather than a luxury perfume to me.

Dominic80
Dominic80

I don't even know how to describe this little masterpiece: a masterpiece of its very own, because there's quite not anything like it, at all! I believe!
It's a secret, a memory, a glamor, a thought and an essence.. an exclusive place, but also a divine, timeless sign of desire for privacy and retreat, for meditation after the over exposure, far from the madding crowd.. in a way..
It is the most delicate powdery, real powdery , and, poetic fragrance i have ever smelled, making everything around so chic, so sublime, and, at the same time, almost like this accent of true incomparable beauty was almost trying to stay away, or run away from you, or just ask you for privacy with glamour and a sophistication, very atypical today.. in this world, where every one wants to impress and be famous, here's a statement for those who really happen to be so famous to almost coming to hate fame and spotlight, while craving only the highest sophistication, and, quality, an earthiness and unique amoral, way of living, distant and yet sublime, for ever, like a Goddess..
Am i confusing you? Maybe. So i will name a few incredible movie stars whose careers and lifestyle, their sudden fame and quick retirement to an almost excessive distant place, has made them, maybe not pop icon's but for sure classic examples of real unforgettable, romantic, impossible stars: GARBO, INGRID BERGMAN, JULIE CHRISTIE, DOMINIQUE SANDA, AUDREY HEPBURN, GENE TIERNEY, KIM NOVAK, a few incredibly important actresses who were first of all, but all almost against their will, first and foremost movie stars, when maybe they wanted to be just great actresses, living a much simpler life with class and a certain solitude, and, giving without any regret, certainly a lot more importance to their personal lives than to their movie career and popularity.. At times, just incredibly famous, just because so distant and mysterious, so hard to get for an interview, so against excessive promotion, so respectful of their persona, not wanting to compromise anything with that well know star system that one day ends up killing one to start on "using" another one..
And so, here's a scent for all of them, all of those impossible beauties, so poetic, and, yet so extremely intelligent or naturally aloof to seek repair from all of those only wanting to exploit them!

Germany
Germany

I quite enjoy this one. Yes its light and you need a few sprays but it's such a realistic fresh rooty iris scent. I love it. Its well done without interference of too many other notes. If you like the smell of iris you will enjoy this one. La pausa unfolds like a blooming iris and dries down to a warm skin scent , like the smell of a lipstick.
Floral, metallic and slightly woody.
And needless to say the bottle is out of this world. All the exclusifs are stunning in their minimalist bottles with the magnetic top.
Thanks mister_chaz for the sample , I now have my bottle !
Sadly enough this one will be off the shelf by the end of the year. It was replaced by the new 1932 ,which I haven't tried yet.

BiancaMC
BiancaMC

I have a 200ml Brand New in Box Bottle of this to sell if anyone is interested. Please pm me. U.S.A. Only...Sorry...Thanks!

lalig
lalig

First i must say i love Chanel fragrances and they love me back but this one is NOT worth the money.it's a week generic cologne and i bet if no one knew it's a CHANEL and based on smell alone the ratings were much lower.

Nosina
Nosina

La Pausa 28 is just the perfect iris scent for hot summer when the little citrus opening adds a refreshing note to the delicate iris. There is no earthy heaviness or root smell as in SL iris silver mist better suited for late fall. The sillage increases with the temperature and longitivity if sprayed on cloth. It falls however in the "skin" scents and has a very soft and velvet feeling. I enjoy a small sample during hot days at work when I love the clean and refreshing impression.

meama
meama

23)I'm crazy iris and it is a marvel, a female version of Iris Silver Mist warmed by some vetiver and a background copied on Guerlain.

Je suis fou d'iris et celui-ci est une merveille, une version féminine d'Iris Silver Mist réchauffée par du vétiver et une fond copié sur les Guerlain.

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

Good Lord this is beautiful. No, it won't rock your proverbial socks off (I tested this one alongside Sycomore which definitely WILL rock your socks off if you love woods, but the tenacity of which was too much for this floral loving girl). The iris in this is soft, delicate and yet still manages to be feminine. I have never been a big fan of iris save for No. 19, and this one has turned me around a bit. I plan to add this one to my collection very soon - among all of my Guerlain classics and deep, sweet florals, its presence will be a bit like Audrey Tautou in Coco Avant Chanel, wearing her tuxedo at Royallieu among all the other women in corsets and flowers. This has that smell of 'high-class boutique' or a silent woman wearing cashmere - soft and not obtrusive at all, slightly off-putting unless you approach the correct way.

Aquarky63
Aquarky63

I found the opening VERY earthy, somewhat mineral-laden, with an overtone of rain on hot cement. After it warms up it is too soft and not noticeable. I am disappointed as I am a wild fan of Une Fleur, Gardenia, and Sycomore. That said, I do not unduly worship at the altar of Chanel, and offer an honest if somewhat undiplomatic review here. I put this through my "enjoyment per ounce to dollars spent" cost benefit analysis, and this one came out lacking. I will not be purchasing this one. Thank goodness for the small sample.

DomizianoA
DomizianoA

I adore it in windy day, so powdery, subtly almost sedating a natural excitement!
The Iris and the more Mediterrenean notes make of this a real sovereign of subtle yet very unique class, and, measure.. I could wear a suit, under a sport's jacket, an open luminous collar powder blue shirt, and, wearing this on my chest, and, ankles. I know 'd just feel tremendously powerful!

Perfumella
Perfumella

I smell it exactly as Doc Elly smells it - citrusy green tea and minimal iris.

There are far better iris fragrances around....

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I agree with Alfaron- well said, my friend. This is such a beautiful heavenly scent from first spray to drydown. It did not scream iris or funky orris root to me at any time, but I do smell the iris more in the drydown. Yes, the EDT does not have a lot of staying power, but on my skin neither does Cuir de Russie EDT. I will just spray on more of this initially and re-apply. Who wouldn't love a pick-me-up of this glorious juice in the middle of the day?

What I love most is how the vetiver perfectly and subtly balances the florals but does not dominate the iris and rose. It is soft and just gorgeous. I like vetiver but I am so tired of the current taste in 'slap you in the face, knock you down' vetivers that tend to completly dominate a fragrance and then go on to conquer whole buildings. 28 La Pausa is vetiver and iris done right.

As an iris lover, and owner of about 8 bottles of niche iris dominant scents, this lovely fragrance is near the top of my list of iris loves. So many people ruin iris. This is iris and vetiver both done exactly right. Thank you, Chanel and Jacques Polge.

finanna
finanna

Evasive woody iris with some powder. Another of the les Exlusifs that does not have the staying power/projection to go with the price tag (talking about EdT). It is pretty while it lasts so I gave it to my mum who will probably wear it happily. I will get my iris fixes from Prada, Serge Lutens and Acqua di Parma instead.

Galya
Galya

I found a big resemblance with kelly caleche hermes ,but pause is without citrus note and very weak perfume.
i like pause cos it's so fragile and tendre perfume with iris and rose,my favourite flowers.

lisa o
lisa o

actually I find it very irisy- especially in the topnotes: it even has something that appears as strong as in "iris silver mist"- the same cool & metallic notes of iris - and not the iris/violet-vibe of, let's say, Après L'Ondée. It's a very natural iris and gets smoother and smoother after a while.
also the combination of iris and vetiver I find unusual...and very beautiful...I can smell it for about 10 hours on myself (the vetiver stays), but I'm afraid, that sillage is so poor, that nobody else can smell it...not even sure if it is recognizable when 20 sprizzes applied just before...but nontheless I prefer it to L'artisan parfumeurs "iris pallida" because I like the rooty-earthy-airy aspect of this more than the fruity-musky one.
all-time and every-occasion-favourite, even if it's only me, thinking that I smell heavenly...BIG LOVE <3
(still hoping that it subconsciously transports its enigmatic beauty;-)

Kamicha
Kamicha

Not a terribly interesting one - an earthy (literally, a soil note going on here) iris on top of very mundane vetiver accord, which tends to steal the stage. It's not just the drydown, vetiver domination from the very beginning. Agree about the tanninic tea note, definitely can get it and it does not work for the favor of the composition.

It's not completely bad, but lacks refinement and feels slightly unbalanced. The gentle iris is almost completely wasted in this, just can't understand the praise of it as an iris scent. And for vetivers - there are so much more interesting ones to choose from. I don't really think that it is worthy of the hefty price tag.

I find the vetiver notes rather lasting on this, but the vetivery drydown is so mind-numbingly boring that I don't really care.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

When I first smell this EdT in the sample vial or newly applied, there’s a strong prickly green tea note that remains the main feature of the sillage even after it’s well into its main act, masking everything else.

Smelling it naively, I concluded that La Pausa was a fuzzy green tea with citrus scent, but after reading some reviews I see that it’s supposed to be iris. OK, I’ll play along. Maybe there’s a little iris close to my skin if I go earnestly looking for it, along with some vetiver, but it’s not the dominant note by any means. This makes me wonder if a lot of people are anosmic to the prickly green tea note that I find so prominent in this and many other commercial scents. That would explain why a surprising number of reviewers complain about La Pausa being weak. It would also explain why so many people love fragrances that I feel are ruined by way too much of this note, La Pausa being one of them.

I’m sure the green tea note was added to increase the sillage, which is minimal for real orris, but the element that was supposed to enhance turns out to be a hijacker that takes the poor little natural plants to a big, plastic shopping mall display. On me, sillage is considerable and the scent lasts at least 6-8 hours without ever revealing the iris that is supposed to be its theme. It’s not bad in tis own way, but it’s not the type of perfume that I wear.

Anyone into iris-based compositions should, sooner or later, stop here as 28 La Pause seats just next to Roucel's Iris Silver Mist. A woody-rooty concoction based on the complex smell of iris-roots and laying on a woody/vetiver drydown. Subtle yet magnificent, slightly powdery, mannered. Simply Terrific.

Theosaurus
Theosaurus

Absolutely a member of the Chanel tradition, but much more easygoing than most of the other scents from Chanel. The iris is very clean and fresh at first, then softens down to a nice powdery note. I am a vetiver junkie, and this scent does not disappoint. 28 La Pausa goes green fairly quickly on the dry down, but never totally loses its floral aspect.

Overall, it reminds me of my grandparents sprawling 19th century ranch house: the breeze bending hay over the flint hills, a mahogany window seat, sprawling under a shade tree, and a century of Dutch Irises carpeting the lawn.

This perfume has a gentle silage, which is a major plus for me. I am not the kind of woman who likes a perfume to walk into a room before I do. Though this scent tends to staty close to the body, it can be easily amped up by applying a bit more. It should be noted, 28 La Pausa also does not have much longevity.

In total: gentle, classic, welcoming.

shenanigans
shenanigans

Unfortunately, to me vetiver stays up front and center on this one. It annouces itself immediately and would not mellow. I could not get past it to try and enjoy other aspects of it.

Mariame
Mariame

One of best Iris scents...Super velvet and soft floral.
Fantastic for spring/summer use.

kylexora
kylexora

Gosh... it smell very original, never smell any perfume like this before. But it remind me of something else, smell of some things...I cant remember but I kinda like it. The smell stay close to skin, but detectable. A bit fresh and green. Weird...

I've recently been fascinated by iris scents; most notably Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma and Iris 39 by Le Labo. My mother had received a bunch of flowers after a performance (she's an actress), and for days the room in which she'd placed the beautifully arranged iris and lily bouquet, smelt divine.

Chanel's 28 La Pausa is close to that scent, but not close enough.

28 La Pausa opens rather fresh. The prominent iris note is green and natural. I do believe that the iris note in this fragrance is the actual essential oil, rather than a synthetic take on iris.

Citrus notes compliment the iris towards the heart, however when settled, 28 La Pausa transforms into a smooth, soapy scent. The soapiness, although feminine and pretty, resembles other iris-based scents on the market, most notably, Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile EDT.

The woodsy drydown only furthers my comparison to the above fragrance. I do believe vetiver may be a missing note in 28 La Pausa. It has this wonderful bitter and earthy quality that really compliments the iris.

There is a great sense of simplistic subtlety to be found in this scent. It doesn't scream, "look at me!" or anything overtly sexy, however it succeeds in being soft and inoffensive. The scent lasted well on my skin, so I won't agree with the other reviewers who experienced poor lasting strength. The scent is delightfully refreshing and clean smelling. I'd most likely wear 28 La Pausa during Spring, when the weather is particularly beautiful and the world is lively.

Kterhark
Kterhark

This fragrance has been heavily reviewed on the top blog sites, which I read while wearing it myself.

They all state that this is a good, not ground-breaking, Iris fragrance in the middle of the Les Exclusifs Pack. Another theme I agree with is longevity; yep, you'll need a heavy, frequently recurring hand with this one.

Recently I bought myself a bouquet of iris, which is one of my favorite flowers. La Pausa is very true to the natural scent. The question is, do you mind smelling like your iris bouquet, or do you want a bit more excitement?

Because I love this scent I don't mind the linearity. I know the marketing blab states it is 'full of contrasts', but the only contrast here is the black cap and the clear bottle.

I htink this is a quality, conservative choice for springtime. Yes you'll have more exciting scents in your collection (for me that would be Apres L'ondee), but that is the only negative thing you could say about it.

Chanel 28 LA PAUSA is to my nose a veritable pause from perfume! All I detect is a light powdery cross between flour and sawdust, which does not develop and disappears from my skin shortly after application. Perhaps a bit too subtle? BEIGE would have been a perfect name for this composition, it seems to me.

Clearly 28 LA PAUSA represents a pendulum swing in the opposite direction of the flamboyant, bombastic "I am perfume, hear me roar! (or, rather, "smell me stink!") creations of the 1980s--but could this be too far to the non-perfume side?

I wouldn't say that this is an anti-perfume, for it is definitely not aesthetically repugnant in any way. Still, although 28 LA PAUSA raises profound perfume identity questions, I think it's safe to say that I won't be adding this pricey bottle of nearly nothing to my collection anytime soon...

Sissi
Sissi

to me this reminds me of a old grand piano dust on the ivory keys the scent of ivory wood from when the piano was
played i whould enjoy it's scent it has an elegant tinge to it which i'v i fond
it strange at a time and the scent of an old tin can filled with sowing needles and thread and the rust of the
can at that time seemed interesting
but intoxicating in a way.

it is earthy but it's metalic at the same time.

Calyx
Calyx

I've loved the scent of irises ever since they grew in the backyard of my childhood home.

One sniff of this and I'm in that backyard garden again, poking my nose into one of the earthy-smelling blooms growing by the fence.

This iris soliflore captures the earthy, "rooty" scent of the natural flower perfectly. (I suspect some of the earthiness in 28 La Pausa comes from a vetiver base note.)

But perhaps it's too perfect; like the flower itself, it's soft, quiet, and quick to fade.

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa by Chanel 4.01 out of 5 based on 216 ratings and 34 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Exclusifs de Chanel 28 La Pausa by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.