Designers » C » Woody Chypre « Groups

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon Chanel for women

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon Chanel for women
dislike

31, rue Cambon is more than just a place in Paris. It represents a beginning of the World of CHANEL. Gabrielle Chanel bought the place in 1921. Till the very day, rue Cambon kept the original organization.

Warm Chypre accord is freed, made luminous and modern with inviting notes of bergamot, patchouli and citrus oil. 31 Rue Cambon is a rich woody-floral fragrance, powerful, authentic, elegant and warm.

It belongs to a luxurious collection Les Exclusifs de Chanel and is available in a 200 ml bottle. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Polge.

Bergamot Green Notes Black Pepper

iris Rose Ylang-Ylang

Patchouli Labdanum

Natori
Guet Apens

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon Fragrance Reviews

lisa o
lisa o

Today is the first time since I wear 31 Rue Cambon occasionally, that I realize the close relationship with 28 La Pausa. I wouldn't say that they're in the same vain, but besides the big iris note that they share, there definately is also some vetiver in 31 RC. It's more evident on paper than on skin, but suddenly felt like 28 LP with added patchouli, labdanum and bergamot. funny...
Hmmm I like it very much...and the more often I wear it, the less I find it melancholic..

YlangYlang and Patchouli in a soft mix. Nice,skinclose and lasts on my skin 10 hours +. Its a come-and-hug-me-scent.

YlangYlang och Patchouli i en mjuk mix. Trevlig, hudnära långlivad doft, mer än 10 timmar. Det är en kom-och-krama-mig-doft.

rossiniopera
rossiniopera

I don't know why I can't like patchouli scents.
Usually when I smell one, I immediately think: this is nice! They're warm and alluring, inviting, comforting. But then suddenly they begin to feel strangely sweet and cloying, and seem to stay in my nose forever, absolutely impossible to get rid of.
I really want to like this, because it IS a nice scent. A good choice for a sunny autumn day. I enjoy the opening of this very much. But then the patchouli takes control...
I dislike sweet fruitchoulis like new Miss Dior and Coco Mademoiselle, but it doesn't seem to work for me in modern chypres like this either. I wish it would, but I guess I'll just have to stay with the old school, mossy chypres instead. There are enough to choose from.

Muddauberwasp
Muddauberwasp

My husband who is almost as new to fragrance as I am having lived next door to my grandma who is fragrance averse suffering instant headaches at 20 feet, smelled this and got all excited!! He likes it best for himself after smelling different male colognes recently. I can't blame him. We are going to get a bottle to share!!

shivabglr
shivabglr

powdery, woody, green and sweet, with a very smooth chypre factor,

and this is aMazing, soft and light
deliciously crispy, (am I the only one getting a chocolate vibe from the patchouli in it?!)

the fresh, wet and earthy smell of it transports me to thick foggy forests in the north of my country, where I always found so enchanting and mysterious as a kid,

this delicious smell would also smell great on men,

overall very classy, dreamy and addictive,

♡♡♡♡♡

archivist
archivist

I felt that this was pretty close to vintage Blue Grass, maybe layered with some Floris Seringa to sharpen it up. It's nice enough, but doesn't have enough distinction from other powdery greens to warrant the price of admission, anyway.

Jose Marcos
Jose Marcos

31 Rue Cambon and La Nuit de l'Homme? When? where? How for God sake? Liquid form perhaps... But, are you serieous? Really?

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

31 Rue Cambon presents a twang, a bang, something smooth and a solid base of powder; it’s retro glamour meets savage beauty.

Pepper and limey bergamot is such an amazing combo. It’s ingenious if anything, and that’s exactly what you get… with a few added extras.

31 Rue Cambon starts a little discorded. It presents the soft aura of elegance in typical Chanel style. The powdery paradigm this time is glazed over with the twang of a couple citrusy notes in this mix. I detect lime, but in reality it’s seville orange (bergamot) – so in this review please read lime as bergamot, and vice versa. The ‘lime’ is a sharp, very airy and certainly a zesty top note mixed with the powderiness of ylang-ylang and iris.

In the opening, the cacophony of peppercorns (and especially white peppercorn) provides an element of balance to the headiness of florals. It connects the ingredients all together, and in my opinion, the lime note already yearns for a soulful partner’s embrace- gentle or not! Hence, the sharpness of citrus and conversely the heaviness of powder is made into an amalgam with the sumptuous gourmand hit of pepper; it’s the between note against the two- an important element allowing the others to coexist peacefully.

I find that ‘lime’ and plenty of citruses already contains this incredible note of innate pepperiness. These particular citruses (in this particular fragrance), in contrast to a mandarin or lemon per se, contains a bitter factor and hence is more contrapuntal. It’s perfect in this blend.

What I envisage in 1921, the year this fragrance was created, is a ravenous heroine who broke many social norms. Who not only has the expected gentle grace and/or the solemn humility of a female, but also the courage to slightly bend the rules of fragrance. That is, a little crack of pepper with the common earthy bergamot combined with the rather ordinary iris (floral) body in female perfumes.

What you receive is the scent of yesteryear or the ‘lightness’ of yesteryear so to speak… you immediately smell, and therefore mentally conjure the images of the epoch of high fashion, high risqué and incredibly strong extrait de parfums – 31 Rue Cambon is reminiscent of such in many, many ways.

In the drydown, more notes come into play that were once very quiet in the blend. The ‘collective’ scent of florals becomes more distinguished with a dewey, rain-touched rose coming into play and the non-gourmand side of patchouli begins to displace the bergamot as it shifts from a citrusy-floral (60:40, respectively) to a floral-citrus (75:25, respectively). It’s not a drastic change, but it increases the complexity two-fold, a welcome confound.

The fragrance becomes greener and greener as time progresses. This aldehydic green note evokes the smell of moss and petrichor with a leafy, icy coolness. Crisp, subtle and refined with a mild heaviness.

I appreciate every stage of this fragrance and more importantly every shift it makes in an eventual, absolute harmony. You aren’t going to receive well defined notes of anything- which is good; rather, you experience streaks of different things. Of rose, of labdanum, of pepper; the lively citrus and aldehydes and (of course) the iris. As I stated earlier it opens just a tad discorded but meddles together nicely at the embrace of natural body heat, oils and the atmosphere. Pepper exists forever, and it’s easily forgettable but still rather impressive. You just have to close your eyes and breathe it in.

… and as with many of the other ‘niche’ citrus focused scents, the bergamot/lime is lifted into perpetuity on account of the other notes. Melancholic cologne lovers rejoice!

In the end, I was impressed with this fragrance- but be warned, it is a feminine one as a consequence of the rose. At the same time, this could be too much for a female on account of the pepper.

I guess it’s safe for daring men but daring for safe women. This is unique, that’s for sure.

It’ll grow on you. (I can’t say I love it, but it’s not half bad). 3/5

ashandasphodel
ashandasphodel

I love the Exclusifs line. 31 was admittedly a little off-putting at first due to the strength of the aldehydes and citrus, but very shortly dried down to a wonderfully exotic scent. The patchouli is more harem than head shop and the iris tempers the heat. If Coromandel was a little more feminine, it would be a lot like this. It also reminds me of Paco Rabanne- La Nuit, only more suitable for daytime encounters!

mightypog
mightypog

Second wearing: I am dying of lust for this. I struggle with Chanel. I was in Macy's today trying No. 5. It vanished on me, like so many Chanels do.

But this!

It's rich. I'm wearing about 1/3 of a ml, which would be a lot for some frags and not enough for others. Pungent citrus topnotes were soon gone, and now it's a thick floral, and although it's called a chypre, I agree with folks who say that, lacking oak moss, it's not exactly a classic chypre. There's a pungent little waft of patchouli that cuts the heavy floral nicely in a way that makes me think a bit of pine.

I keep taking really deep breaths, because breathing with this on is such a pleasant experience!

It will likely be the next decant I buy. This and 1000 are my favorite florals; complex and not too sweet.

kenzoh25
kenzoh25

Let me start this review by thanking Poboijosh for sending me a bottle of this wonderful fragrance. I was trying 31 Rue Cambon for quite some time now, contemplating about making a purchase, and today I received a bottle as a gift which I`m trully ecstatic!
31 Rue Cambon is modern "chypre" at its finest. Its incredibly elegant, aristocratic and refined, classy, strict and timeless fragrance. The iris is a star here, accompanied by patchouli, green notes, labdanum, ylang, rose and pepper. It creates beautiful aura around me, which I associate with charm, art and fashion.Its very long lasting on my skin with a moderate projection. Chanel created an excellent classic scent it Les Exclusifs collection. Besides, I think its one of the most versatile fragrance I have ever encountered, and pretty much a unisex one.

31 RC is another timeless, breathtaking Chanel masterpiece. I am excited by the genius of juxtaposition between the intense, tart bergamot and bitter, dusty patchouli. The bergamot seems to last and last, yet this is in no way a light and citrusy eau de cologne.

31 Rue Cambon retains an other-worldliness in every sense of the word: in geography, era, and social status. Smelling this, I am transported to someplace in Europe in the 20's or 30's that only a woman of Coco Chanel's stature would ever be able to visit. I feel like Chanel has let me into her world when I smell this ravishing scent.

At times I am tempted to say that it's old-fashioned, like No. 22 or No. 5, but there is something cutting-edge or modern about it too, more so than any of the other Les Exclusifs I have sampled. It contains the Chanel-aide but without all the aldehydes that can cause some to perceive Chanel perfumes as outdated.

This perfume takes me to airy summer gatherings at exclusive chateaux in the French countryside, behind sun-bleached wooden fences and wrought-iron gates. Stylish. Classy. Relaxed.

I purchased a bottle! I am in love.

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

I am just enamored with this Les Exclusifs line, they're all beautiful in their own way, high quality juices and beautiful flacons...

31 Rue Cambon opens citrusy from Bergamot and a tad grassy from the green notes, and I can only detect just a smidgen of Pepper. Ths heart is Iris in the forefront with just a hint of Rose and Ylang-Ylang. The final drydown is Iris, Labdanum, and Patchouli where all 3 notes alternate as separate entities at times, and as a whole at others, sometimes being soft, and at others quite strong, it's very, very interesting. The transition of the 3 stages from opening, into heart and into the drydown keeps your olfactories busy for hours. This is an über creamy perfume which is grounded from Patchouli, but the creaminess sores from the smoky Labdanum and powdery soft Iris. It is gorgeous! I'm a guy, and I absolutely love it. Sillage is descent, but this isn't a perfume you'd want to choke people with, and longevity of 31 Rue Cambon is most impressive! Projection is a strong 8 hours followed by a skin scent for 12 hours, and for a good 4 hours or so after that, this is at the point when 31 Rue Cambon smells exactly like a Chypré, because it literally smells like you're wearing Oakmoss... that's extremely impressive that this olfactory illusion is possible! I don't understand the fleeting longevity that a lot of people are talking about from this line. I own 8, and they all easily reach atleast 8 hours on me, including Bel Respiro. If you've never tried the Les Exclusifs line, do it. They're expensive, but worth every penny...

Ludicolo
Ludicolo

If I were to comapre Rue Cambon to anything, I would say that it's in the same vein as Guerlains Mitsouko.
Perhaps like a more "modernised" version of that one.
It's got a certain juicyness to it whereas Misouko is more "dry".
Absolutely stunning chypres both of them, but as I already have Misouko and a decent spray sample of Rue Cambon, I don't feel the need to buy a full bottle ATM.

However, 31RC sure is a wonderful alternative to Mitsouko and I woud absolutely not throw it out if a bottle suddenly came falling down into my lap.
If I finish my Mitsouko one day I might very well be replacing it with Rue Cambon.
That juicy factor that I mentioned earlier gives this an almost lemon flavoured hard candy like aroma that is simply lovely!
31 Rue Cambon is truly a worthy member of the prestigious line of Les Exclusifs de Chanel!

When this has all been said, I don't find it to smell similar to 28LP at all.
28LP is like the most beautiful, airy iris with an almost lipsticky aroma, stripped of the plasticky, sickeningly sweetness.
I would almost call it "clay" like. "Buttery" would probably be the right word.

All the while, Rue Cambon is a juicy, hesperidic chypre, with a peppery floral background and a very faint and refined patchouli, (just like in Coromandel).

28 La Pausa is the perfect spring scent to me, while Rue Cambon would be absolutely marvelous in fall.

jkdienes
jkdienes

Need.To.Buy.This.Now.
Gorgeous, modern chypre.
I'm amazed how this does not have oakmoss but it is definitely chypre.
Can't say I love the openning, but the middle and the dry down is perfect (IMHO). Easy signature fragrance for me. I'm not an iris-lover and although I detect the iris, the pepper and labdenum change it. I also don't find it powedery, and that's good because I'm not a powder-lover either. Do try it!

henri345que
henri345que

31 Rue Cambon for me is like an exercise of which creative direction would Coco Chanel follow if she was still alive and if she was trying to shape the heritage of Chanel to modern tastes but without falling into fads. Like her apartment on Paris, Rue Cambon seems to have everything that a classical Chanel has: aldehydes, jasmine, iris, a soft powderiness. But it doesn`t go straight into vintage lands. Instead, it takes those aspects and marry them with a sweet resinous base that is very well doused. The aldehydes on the opening are the most interesting part to me. They seem to give a different aroma to the opening according the day your nose smell it. Sometimes you`ll detect a bright citric aura paired with the beginning of a flowery bouquet, and other days they lend you to an abstract fruity aroma. The iris and jasmine on the heart of this one gave the discreet powdery and flowery aura, with a warm, barely there, indolic touch. When it reaches to the base, you`re left with a delicious sweet creamy woody aroma, with the sweet part played in a serious way, avoiding gourmand intensities and matching perfectly the soft resinous aura that you seem to get sometimes when the scent warms on skin again. For me, Rue Cambon is not purely a Chypre fragrance, having parts that would be perfectly intepreted as floral or floral aldehidic too, and where everything seems to have a kinship so natural and common to find nowadays. Rue Cambon has a elegance that is totally out of tendencies, focusing on what really matters on a fragrance: quality.

Michael1962
Michael1962

Soft and powdery dry.Beautiful subtle iris scent.
Iris which is done in a well crafted composition.
Rose is lurking in the background to add nice layering.
Cannot detect any other predominant notes,but naturally thats not to say they aren't there to a more trained nose than mine.
Very linear and limited longevity but you can tell and smell the Chanel quality.
At drydown stage I'm now detecting a sweet musky accord which is positively delightful.
I suggest it would be more noticable in the warmer months when the scent is likely to project a tad more.
Will enjoy my sample whilst it lasts.My thanks to the friendly sales assistant at the new Chanel counter at David Jones for all the glorious samples.Much appreciated.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

Tried this one today in Heathtrow. Starts with an off putting musty smell (probably the aldehydes) but then, after about 10 minutes, it changes completely on my skin and becomes this warm, sort of ambery (even though amber is not listed) and very enveloping smell. However, I am not sure I would purchase it as, on my skin, it bears a striking similarity with Chanel no5, Eau de toilette.
As an aside, I find the no5 EdT and EdP to be completely different. I love the former and loathe the latter.
I gather that 31 rue Cambon was developed way after Chanel no5 and, while retaining an old fashion structure and projection, it is somewhat more... Blended and polished?
The longevity is amazing BTW. After more than 10 hours (most of them spent in a plane) I can still smell the dry down. It is now become a soft and slightly sweet wood, amber and patchouli presence. Very comforting and elegant. Very classic Chanel.
So now, I am convincing myself that really, maybe, it is worth a purchase after all. LOL

... Apologies to all for my rather rambly review. Blame it on sleep deprivation.

arzacu
arzacu

It's very dry and aldehidic on my skin. Has that old fashioned smell that I love. Definetly for evening time and winter.

Germany
Germany

Extravagant , classy , destilled elegance!
Rue Cambon starts citrusy peppery but light and airy. It is a dry musky nutty scent .
Think Allure, Mitsouko, Coco, miss dior and coromandel and take the best of each and combine it into a fragrance viola ,you have rue Cambon. A very polished daytime frag that can easily take you into nighttime , an ambery musky quality in the base definitely worthy of the chanel name. Even though it is a little old school ,it also has a contemporary edge to it ....and it has an airy light quality , a skin scent !

fazli ikram
fazli ikram

I bought this today, i last long on the fall weather , i have not tried it in the warm and humid weather. The smell i would say that is amazing, i love the smell that it emanates, it stuck on you then disappear then , as you move it starts to appear, then it goes out again, the best part is the smell of labdanum combination of all the flowers listed above, it just gave out a smell of class on its' own, i would imagine an elite group of men walking by, which have a soft and firm personality. it is an awesome perfume, i wish more perfume are made as such.

Atticusalexis
Atticusalexis

Just bought 31 rue Cambon yesterday...... There are many raves about this fragrance, to me raves serve as suggestions to what people generally like and it might also signify how good a fragrance might me. When I was in the boutique trying out 31 rue Cambon yesterday ( I have been to the boutique trying it out a number of times to make sure I really like it and vice versa), I gave in and pulled my card out finally.

It is a skin scent, very beautiful sheer and elegant. It does not feel overtly feminine and I can see a confident gentleman carrying it off nicely. I was wearing a modest amount of No. 5 Edt when I was in the boutique, so 31 rue Cambon was layered upon it and the effect was mesmerizing, it's a cloud of beauty surrounding me.

I love it on its own, when layered it is absolute love.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

I like the smell once my nose has vacuumed my arm hairs into my nostrils. Otherwise this is yet another TEASE from the Esclusifs Line.

How So ?

A faint "SHPRITZER" version of what smells like a mature masculine chypre. A similar genre as Mitsouko by Guerlian. Don't get all giddy yet because as much disappointment as I have with Guerlian RUE CAMBON 31 falls into the same or worse category. Too light too airy too close to the skin....SO WHY OWN IT ?

This could be great with some added sillage and depth BUT for now you will just have to deal with a tease.

EDC strength....IMO

oldnose
oldnose

This is really, really lovely. It lasts maybe 30 minutes on me, but those 30 minutes are heaven. I know this fragrance. I am very sure this is a reworked vintage fragrance and I am racking my brain trying to pinpoint it. I actually think this is a version of a vintage men's fragrance. I think Chanel made this as a softer version of a much stronger vintage men's fragrance. If I can associate this fragrance with one of the many men in my life (maybe even my father), I will remember....... I will keep you posted.

nadeschka
nadeschka

I confess, this scent was a big deception. I gave it several tries but all I get is a sour soup and it remains a sour soup till the end.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I wasn't at all impressed with the top notes or the heart notes on this - they seemed pretty generic - but the basenotes smell sour on my paper card.

I don't see what all the praise is about.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Like most Chanel scents, 31 Rue cambon is an abstraction of several things: there are hints of florals, woods citrus, pepper, etc., that really aren't there and that's what make scents from this house interesting. I can appreciate them more when I think of them as being composed by the perfumer like abstract paintings. However, I can't agree with this whole "modern chypre" thing. I feel that it's too revisionist and an historical category of perfumery like the chypre category, should not be redefined to use as a marketing tool. With that said, I love Rue Cambon for what it is.

muskymoi
muskymoi

Found my summer scent. It took me all of 31 seconds to spray, sniff, buy. This is not what I typically do. I make myself wear a perfume several times (from samples, etc) before I decide to buy. Not so with 31 Rue Cambon. I'm a les exclusifs fan-girl and this perfume is one of the more special ones available from the modern creations (Polge scents). It combines the lightness of summer-appropriate notes with a tangy sweetness that doesn't try to choke me. I picture a woman wearing wispy silks, sandals, a very wide-brimmed hat, and her 31 Rue Cambon chillaxing at her villa overlooking St. Tropez. If I ever win the powerballz, I can be her. I think.

Gabriellitjie
Gabriellitjie

Chanel 31 Rue Cambon? Quite deceptive. My first reaction was negative (too woody, too dry) - on closer acquaintance though it mellows to just a touch sweeter and warmer. Judging by the wildly varying reviews it is all things to all (wo)men - and it's definitely unisex. I get the iris, the ylang ylang, the bergamot - the patchouli seems to be missing in my sample. Interesting, is what I'd call this perfume.
Kind of grows on you.

Eos
Eos

This is a refined aldehydic chypre featuring a peppery opening and a warm peachy note in the heart. The prominent ylang ylang note wears animalic on me as it does in all Chanels that feature it, but in a restrained, decidedly chic way. Its a very nice approximation of a chypre minus the oakmoss. Though patchouli gets a lot of votes here, I think patchouli haters should still give it a try as there is nothing soil-like or hippy about the patchouli in this. What's noteable about 31 Rue Cambon is that it feels like it could have been made at the same time as Bois des Iles and Cuir de Russie, it feels and smells vintage 20's. Beautiful and refined. This would a wonderful and distinctive signature scent for a fashionable woman.

antfarm
antfarm

The prettiest sweat I have ever smelled, like a lady laying in the grass on a summer day with a crown of daisies in her hair. Very green, very elegant, very human.

Lanlisa
Lanlisa

Reminds me of D&G Pour Femme and The One. Pretty but I prefer D&G as its slightly more intense but in a soft way. 31 does not last more than an hour on me. Pretty though and worth sampling.

Sparks
Sparks

A Chanel? Are you sure? Seriously??? B-b-but...I don't like Chanels (at least the ones I've sampled). I despise the iconic No 5 and I certainly never l.o.v.e. a Chanel. Until now. One whiff, I am transported to a grassy bank along a burbling stream. A golden sun sparkles from the water as it's rays shine to gently warm me through the new spring leaves over my head. Delicate, elusive fresh flowers interspersed with a spicy crispness. I want a wine that tastes like this smells. Effervescent.

Now I must decide, get the sensible size? Or spend less than twice as much and get it in the bathtub size? I'm afraid 6.8 oz will require wearing it everyday for yeeears. Can't have that. Too many other luscious lovelies tucked away need attention too. Such decisions are hard!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

very nice and probably my most interesting tester from the exclusifs that I tried, unfortunately forgettable and no Guerlain rival.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Maybe I sprayed too too lightly that I cannot appreciate this fully. Smells citrusy and of iris offset by hint of patchouli. It is pretty and modern but not special (is that bad to say about a Chanel?). After four hours, it is a beautiful floral whisper. I will try it again when I can but for now, I'm not wow-ed.

One light spray on me:
Sillage: close to skin
Longevity: 4 hours
Price: Holt Renfrew 75ml C$145

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

One of the best perfumes of all time? Please.

Funny story. I applied 31 this morning and went to work. My boss (who hasn't caught on that I wear fragrance yet) is there talking to a female co-worker, and she stops and sniffs the air and says to her, "is that you? like, something in your hair? are you using some kind of fancy shampoo? perfume? it smells like Obsession. are you wearing Obsession? no? huh. that's what it smells like." Then, the co-worker leaves, and I'm left there. My boss then turns to me and says, "actually, I think it's you. are you wearing Obsession?" To which I replied, feeling chagrined, "No, No I am not."

It's easy to dismiss the story as the ramblings of an inexperienced and ignorant by-passer, but a pedestrian's opinion tends to be like a child's: brutally honest and to the point. In this case, the perfume smells good (Obsession smells good too), but not the stuff of legends. It strikes me as being a loud oriental. I know it's classified as a chypre, Luca Turin calls it a chypre, yadda yadda yadda. There's no oakmoss in it. Therefore, it's open for interpretation. And let me say this - 31 desperately, desperately needs oakmoss. It's painfully obvious that this precious note is missing from the pyramid as I sniff the sparkly bergamot and iris top accord, with its thin bready aspect that yields too little depth and too much synthetic sheen. Then comes the lactonic flow of peachy-milky notes that caress the air in a soapy cloud of freshness. One minute it's a floral jasmine-like arrangement of blatantly synthetic notes. Another minute there's a citrusy-vanilla vibe going on. And yet another minute later, peppery sandalwood with labdanum standing in for moss. Quite a merry-go-round.

Ultimately it dries down to a woody-floral base that grows increasingly flat and sweet as the hours wear on. Without the foundation of real oakmoss in the base, without that bitter-green monster lurking beneath the sunny proceedings, 31 feels a bit hollow and commits the greatest sin of modern perfumery: it lacks tension. To suggest otherwise feels disingenuous. Let's face it, you can't create a high quality chypre with fair-grade synthetics and a masterful composition without attaching the perfume to the basic structure of a classical chypre. Yes, the citrus is there, yes, the labdanum is there, but no, the moss isn't, and no, 31 Rue Cambon doesn't quite pull off ravishing beauty without it. It is, however, very, very pretty, and I received a compliment from a younger female co-worker today who had to know what it was called, and said more than once that it smelled VERY nice. So to suggest this fragrance is a failure is also disingenuous.

I think it might be time for Chanel to move their perfume manufacturing plants back to New Jersey (as far as I know many of their fragrances are made in the USA anyway). The fact that they're complying with European IFRA regs is admirable, but when you're this close to total success, it isn't worth playing by someone else's rules. Sometimes one seemingly insignificant note is the difference between perfection and disappointment. I won't be wearing 31 in the future, simply because the notion that anyone would mistake it for Obsession, and be ADAMANT about it, is a punch in the gut, and I'm not a glutton for punishment.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I just got this scent today from Chanel and I wasn't sure at first what I thought. As with any vintage era scent, I put some on again after an hour or so and went through the drydown. It is a rather faint scent so you are unlikely to smell like an old lady as someone said.

This is so not an older person scent, it is a lovely very sophisticated scent-- it's just not all fruity and overly sweet like a lot of scents today. It is a perfect balance of chypre and warmer notes. To all you naysayers out there 2 young woman under 30 today told me I smelled nice and asked what I was wearing. These are not people who would lie to me. They have my back. If I'm wearing something unflattering or a not nice perfume they will definitely tell me, in a not mean way, so I don't make that mistake again.

I think this is worth everyone trying a decant. It's a classic scent, beautiful Chanel, what have you got to lose?

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Although I appreciate the Chanel quality in this perfume, I don't feel it is right for me. I prefer others in the Exclusifs line. Immediately I sprayed it, it smelled like mustard seeds being fried, but then some sour citrus rind developed, and was soon joined by a generic woody smell. I don't get any patchouli or floral notes in this. It IS long-lasting, but by the time a few hours had passed I was bored by the smell.

finanna
finanna

31 Rue Cambon is beautiful, symphonic fragrance. Citrus is just a quick whiff, the fragrance itself is sweetish floral scent, elegantly rounded by patcholi&amber accords. Patchouli gives some depth and warmth, but is not detectable as a strong note. On me this is more like an ambraic floral than citrus-patchouli floral.

I have EdT and the lasting power is around 6h. I was a bit indecisive when purchasing this as I had some doubts about sillage and turns out I was right. The EdT stays rather close to skin, although I catch random wafts of loveliness every now and then. On my scale, this is rather elegant than sultry. If it was stronger, I would definitely love it. Now I am just liking it a lot.

I would recommend this to someone who is looking an elegant, unique fragrance that does not shout its presence. Agree with previous reviewer, this would be great on a man. Correction to the frageance info above, this is available in 75ml size too.

Adrien02
Adrien02

Sweet-woody-powdery heaven in a bottle. Chanel.com also lists cistus oil as an ingredient along with the bergamot and patchouli. Amazing fragrance from a 3 composition masterpiece. I could just eat myself up! :D It is a smoothly mellow scent akin to the likes of Chanel No. 5 (the original version). I do believe it would suit men as well.

Peachply
Peachply

This just did not do it for me, I passed it onto my Mom, she loves it. Too woody for me, not enough floral and it did not "linger" well enough for the price. Disapointing.

honeydays
honeydays

I totally agree with Shabbus. It's very pretty, but I feel like I'm at a meeting of the Daughters of the American Revolution. I just can not imagine anyone other than a rich grandmother pulling this off. My tester also is extremely strong. I won't be wearing this one.

jgirgar
jgirgar

Now I know why I love this so much, into the drydown reminds me of the pachouli / chocolate / subtle anise from mens's L'Instant. Sits wonderfully on my skin and had a great time trying it on at NM here in Houston. It's a muted powdery floral that keeps this watery undertone to it, fresh and green. Quite captivating, enough that I would write about it. It's understated and luxurious and would find this great to wear in copious amounts for an evening out or go lighter on the trigger for a day at the office. It's a living room and cocktail fragrance with a dimly lit chandelier. And this is a good thing. JG 033012

042312 edit: I tried this once again, couldn't help it, and I love this wonderful fragrance. Smells incredibly close to Apres L'Ondree but a tad woodier and longer lasting having tried it on opposite sides of my forearm. I can see myself owning this beautiful scent. It still conjures a grand baroque style French apartment to me with lots of gilded mirrors and brocade wallpaper. JG

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Powdery aldehydes and sweet floral notes combine to produce a classic chypre-type scent that I could swear has some civet in the base. It starts out aldehydic-citrusy, softly floral, and powdery. Within half an hour it develops a slight peach note. The florals are dominated by a powdery iris, but there are probably also traces of ylang-ylang, rose, and some others.

There’s supposed to be cistus oil and patchouli in the mix, but these really stay far in the background. To my nose, it’s primarily a warm, powdery, slightly musky floral that almost manages to smell like a vintage perfume. It’s more or less linear, and lasts a good 8 hours with moderate sillage. It’s beautifully put together and I like it a lot, but it’s probably not something I’d wear often just because it’s not really my style.

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

Of all citrus scents, I like bergamot the most, then orange.
This opens with an elegant bergamot scent but not long before the creamy patchouli joins in and pushes the citrus to the background. I prefer it this way because too much citrus could bother my nose.
It's a light, smooth, and well blended perfume; just perfect for a non-floral Spring scent.

migraine
migraine

beutifull mix but no longevity at all...what a pitty

Scarlette
Scarlette

I LOVE this scent.

It is so gorgeous, and would be a LOVE if it were 3 TIMES AS STRONG!!!

It disappears almost completely from my skin in 30 minutes.

Sob!!

Very soft, classy, mysterious & secretive.

HazelMae
HazelMae

I can't truly say this feels like a chypre to me. But it's lovely to have an earthy-bergamot accord which is so warm, inviting and approachable. There is no quality of austerity or coldness here.

I understand why many people find my favorite classic chypres to be challenging, and in some situations I feel self-conscious wearing them. But this, never. I imagine most people readily percieve the appeal of this scent. It's just plain beautiful.

I wear perfume becasue it has a beneficial effect on my mood and outlook, a sort of low-level sensual ambient experience that lasts all day. If other people like it, so much the better, but it isn't why I buy perfume. I don't usually get compliments on my perfume from people I casually interact with during the day, probably because the majority of stuff I like is considered to be out of style. This is the exception, the only perfume in my collection that has ever garnered compliments from acquaintances or strangers.

Notes:

pepper, bergamot, orris, narcissus, jasmine,
patchouli, ambrette, vetiver, labdanum.

jtd
jtd

31 Rue Cambon does actually conjure the shape of a chypre. I appreciate the way it redefines the olfactory geometry that makes a chypre so compelling and I love the way it smells. There is a notable lack of bitterness without the oakmoss, but there is a dirtyness/skinness/nuttiness that melds with the buttery amber and just slides along from top through drydown.

Fruit? I actually don’t see it. More of an ambery woodiness infused with a classic Chanel approach to singing florals, all iris and aldehydes. 31 is effectively a floral oriental folded into the shape of a chypre. Light? Delicate? With its oriental DNA, I find 31 both emphatic and durable.

A fantastically successful stab at the contemporary chypre dilemma. I’m surprised it’s not more emulated.

shabbus
shabbus

This smells of wealth, but also of age. If you were sitting in the lobby of the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach and a wealthy dowager entered and sat down next to you while her driver checked her in and made sure her bags were handled by the bellman, her Hermes scarf would smell of 31 Rue Cambon. And so would the Pomeranian on her lap.

full_of_colours
full_of_colours

I usually get the floor cleaner note with citruses as well but not with 31 rue Cambon! This is just pure class. Not overwhelming, nothing vulgar. Beautiful soft chypre. Would be a perfect work scent for a lady who enjoys wearing pencils skirts and heels.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Bergamot (and citrus in general) and I tend to not be friends, and 31 Rue Cambon confirmed it. All I get is ashy-burned-medicinal citrus--in other words, floor cleaner. No. 5 Eau Premiere and No.19 did the same exact thing to me, so I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

Cylob

One of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled. A true work of art. Starts sparkly fresh & green and has the most addictive drydown ever. A chypre without the bitterness. Just gorgeous! My jaw is dropping on the floor every time I smell this.

PiggyB
PiggyB

“Be Chic” is Coco Chanel’s style we can see on her back and this fragrance is very iconic, a symbolic creation.
She continues to make small evolutions happen inside her body with keeping tradition made by herself.
She does it very lightly in a sophisticated way, this is the reason I am a fan of the house/maison Chanel.
People gaze at her with reverence and adore her sophistication, a front runner.

I can breathe more deeply and feel oxygen when I wear this fragrance, I am in the new world, it might be said “intoxicating”.
The best in the collection.

I am looking forward to trying the next, “Jersey”.
How many people can feel relaxed without jersey?
How many people prefer to spend hours in bed wearing silk satin or cotton linen now?
Most of us cannot feel relaxed without jersey anymore, it is very interesting concept.

Angel10
Angel10

I love this scent, but it doesn't last on me. So sad. I have a 75ml, 90% full to trade....and it's gone!

If this scent lasted like Coromandel did, it would be in my Top 5 fragrances.....nothing else smells like it to me! Stunning.

Lady Love
Lady Love

I don't die for this fragrance, but it's one of my favourite from the Les Exclusifs.

It's a very opulent interpretation of a modern chypre. The drydown is a little powdery and spicy. This fragrance can be the great grand daughter of Mitsouko.

The lasting power is very good for an Eau de Toilette

Absolutely fantastic! This is the classic-classy floral chypre theme superbly revised with a tremendous modern twist. A sober masterpiece and possibly one of the best perfumes of all times. A big dose of iris, some bergamot and fruity notes are the most detectable in this fragrance made of a delicate sweetness and and a luminous radiance. The drydown is warm, embracing, intimate and somehow ambery. 31RC stays at the top of my favourite female fragrances list together with its precursor Mitsouko. Unquestionably elegant, sober and beautiful. Do great also on a man.

Rating: 9.5/10

sgraifman
sgraifman

Similar to Mitsouko, although a little bit lighter. I tried it on, and a 60 year old woman told me that it smelled like something her mother would have worn.

Before I fell head-over-heels in love with 31 Rue Cambon, the Chanel sales assistant likened this fragrance to the scent of old bookshops and museums. At first my response was, "who would want to smell like that?" Well, let me tell you, smelling like ancient manuscripts has never been so appealing.

The old, musty smell comes from the complex blend of dry, dusty woods, earthy patchouli and subtle, soapy iris. I cannot find a better way of describing this fragrance's beauty.

Perhaps a year ago, when I was mostly into florals and gourmands, I may have passed this fragrance by, however making a discovery of the whole Les Exclusifs range has opened up a whole new world of fragrances for me.

Thankfully, this fragrance works well with my chemistry, hence the reason why it made it to my wishlist. Every few seconds I manage to discover something new about this fragrance. One second it smells nutty the next it's smokey and woodsy. There's a touch of pepper in there too, maybe even incense, amber and spices.

I am hopelessly devoted to this fragrance, just like when I discovered Coromandel, it was instantaneous love. I don't admire 31 Rue Cambon because it's sexy (although it is in a nerdy librarian way), bold or feminine, I love it because it's like nothing I've ever experienced before.

Unlike most reviewers of this particular fragrance, I didn't have an issue with its longevity. It lasted perfectly well on my skin, it almost pained me to wash it off in the shower the next morning.

Mellow, soothing and dry, there is no doubt in my mind that this fragrance will be gracing my collection come next Winter.

seventh
seventh

I took a shower after I tried this one at Selridges. I did not washed with soap the place on my arm where I put the perfume on. I did not wanted to leave me, the smell. And it didn't, for that night. To me it is very masculine but amazingly good quallity perfume.

Chanel 31 RUE CAMBON is a fine, well-crafted and compelling chypre with great staying power and sillage in the edt.

In thinking about other favorite chypres, this Chanel creation may come closest to YVRESSE, but it is less wet and a bit smoother to my nose. The citrus is just right: not acrid, not too sharp, just a perfect dose to complement the grassiness (which I assume is vetiver...) and patchouli, which is woven symphonically into the composition, rather than serving as a dominant note (a la Thierry Mugler).

The only other chypre which I find quite so compelling is MITSOUKO, but 31 RUE CAMBON is a bit less intense, perhaps more modern, and possibly easier to wear without being constantly distracted by its opulent beauty. Yet it is beautiful, and a real wristsniffer, as odd as that may sound for a nongourmand. On my wish list!

Sissi
Sissi

A black leather glove a lit cigarette
between the fingers a bony spinx-like
face ala garbo with thin red lips a scarf around her blonde hair huge black
sunglasses covering the eyes to make it more androgynous in a 1930's black V-12
cadilliac when she get out.
her outfit is a black botero a gold blouse the most form fitting skintight
black leather pants with 5 inch heels
stelletos all the photograthers paparatzzi and fans scream for her when she walks in a exclusive premire of an event and her mistique that she never
gives autographs ever does interviews
but i'll tell you for one thing she can
turn a hetrosexual girl to fall in love with her.

this is a very sexy perfume i can pick up Leather in this then dries down to
an orris root scent the early chanel perfumes before the girlish coco mademoiselle or the allures had more
of a masculine feel chanel was ahead of her time with fashion on perfumery.
at a time when stiff rigid corset gowns
where in vogue chanel broke that rule
she taliored more simple less restrictive clothing for women and it was a hit.

and perfumery before chanel it was cloyish girlish and naive when chanel no 5 was introduced aldehydes where the rage finaly they had a fragrance that
was going on in women sociality at the time women where voting smoking in public wearing shorter more revealing
attire chanel was cought up in that.

this is a perfume that if you what to think outside the box don't follow
convertional life and be androgymous
this is the perfume.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

I've got a decant on perfumista's meeting. It starts very mild amber,a little hint of rose, mix with something green. It opens after couple hours with something interesting, like old school lipstick smell, just hint of powder, but overall this is very spring blossom like perfume.I haven't put it in the evening yet,however it is
perfect for light sunny day.

sofiii
sofiii

Be aware! Chanel 31 Rue Cambon is a scent that differs a lot from person to person, and even smells really differently on the same person under different temperature. So I guess it’s wise to try more than twice or even three times before you reach a definite conclusion.

Chanel 31 is like the merits combo of No.5 Eau Premiere + Allure + Chance. My apology here for my chronologically wrongly referring Chanel 31 to later and more commercially wider distributed Chanel scents, to describe how Chanel 31 smells.

Ok, about the scent:

Chanel 31 Rue Cambon starts sharp and clean in an intoxicating bergamot dominant citrusy/aldehyde kind of chypre, reminds me a little bit of the elegant Chanel No.5 eau Premiere.

Then it goes sweeter, smoother, rounder and woodier. There’s sweetness in a patchouli powdery way, with some floral hint. Really warm, in a elegant and confident way, plus a little touch of sensual feeling. This reminds me a much refined Chanel Chance + Allure. It's self-assured luxury without boasting.

The dry down comes smoothly, like a sheer version of what I’ve experienced before. It’s comforting with the elegant and clean iconic Chanel-style edge.

Worth trying!

Kterhark
Kterhark

I've worn this scent three times now, and have to say this is my favorite Chanel fragrance. Granted, I'm a huge chypre fan, and if you are too don't pass this one up. I know it is an EDT, but it lasts all day long, which is impressive. It wears 'expensive', and changes throughout the day so give it time before making up your mind. I doubt this is a three note wonder, but someone with more skill will have to identify the other influences. Is this as good as Mitsouko? No. But I would put it in the top five chypres I've come across. The bergamot note really sets this apart for me - makes it very smooth and comfortable. Mmmm!

Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel 4.37 out of 5 based on 411 ratings and 66 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Exclusifs de Chanel 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.