Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel Chanel for women
dislike

I have it: 851 I had it: 112 I want it: 1091 My signature: 39

smoky

Coromandel carries the name of the exotic Chinese lacquered screens. When Gabrielle Chanel first saw them, she proclaimed that she would “faint of happiness” and that she will live surrounded by them.

An amber vibrato is interrupted by dry notes of incense and benzoin. Wooden accords give away the elegance and depth of its magical trail. Coromandel is a rich woody – oriental fragrance, mystical and filled with contrasts.

It belongs to a luxurious collection Les Exclusifs de Chanel and is available in a 200 ml bottle. The nose behind this fragrance is Jacques Polge.

Citruses Bitter Orange Neroli

Jasmine Rose Patchouli Orris

Incense Olibanum Benzoin Woodsy Notes Musk Tahitian Vanilla White Chocolate

Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel Fragrance Reviews

Daisydukes
Daisydukes

I prefer this one in cold weather. It suits a button down shirt and jeans. I like the contrast between the elegance of this scent and a casual outfit.

The weather is cooling off here and I thought I'd wear some tonight after my bath.

My dear husband walked into the house, wrinkled his nose and asked "what stinks"?

Apparently it's me. He told me that I smell like a hippy. Personally I like smelling like a hippy.

I'd say that this beauty lacks universal appeal. My husband NEVER complains about my perfume. He didn't like new Arpege- but I didn't care for it either.

My husband and I met in school in the late 80's when we were teens. He has never complained about how I smell. I'm taking it a bit hard. My feelings are hurt. :(

nise
nise

Wow! What a deliciously decadent scent! At first sniff of the nozzle, there is Coco Noir wholly and truly, but that completely disappears after the first spray when I smell dirt, wet earth, that earthy smell that rises from the forest floor when walking after the rain. I love that scent, I breathe it in slowly and deeply. And suddenly there is the smoky, sultry incense gliding through, just heavenly, which then changes to the sweet white chocolate. I do believe this is my first gourmand and boy what a gourmand she is. The sillage is enormous but not overpowering, Coromandel definitely fills a room. I will be cherishing my 3ml decant most jealously. Love at first sniff 10/10.

butterbean
butterbean

Must have a bottle - this scent is WONDERFUL!!

Thank you EOS for the sample!

This fragrance is centered around patchouli. Normally I am very cautious about strong patchouli dominant scents, and approached with trepidation. To my pleasant surprise -- this is no ordinary patchouli scent. This is some high class, exceptional quality stuff.

A very fresh, clean almost minty patchouli with a creamy sweet dry down that truly is lovely creamy sweet white chocolate. It is a complex scent that transitions as you wear.

First instant spray: I get quite a bit of a citrus floral minty sweet like blend. Within a few minutes patchouli and incense seem to come on stronger, but I never drop that sweet floral note- almost a sweet orange blossom or jasmine.

It has a GREAT and unique quality to it and I keep sniffing.

The patchouli is quite strong, but smooth, green minty patch. It has almost, but not quite, a terpene ketone quality. However, this does not open your sinuses or anything -- no no don't think that. This behaves more like a lovely mint-esque patchouli with lovely smokey undertone. NOTHING sharp here. Beautifully blended notes.

It gets a little drier as it wears, with a woody quality. The patchouli mellows more and more. It becomes this lovely fresh patchouli with this amazing soft light beautiful floral sweet orange/orange blossom like note in the background for a several hours.

The whole composition sweetens on my skin as it wears. A lovely creamy white chocolate note develops with faint hints of frankincense.

2-3 hours later, where I had expected patchouli to get stronger and take over, it does not. It steps back and the white chocolate is much more prominent. I never lose the minty smooth patchouli. This part of the scent seems to go on forever which adds this yum factor to it - a delicious quality if you will.

Sillage is quite good.

Longevity - 11.5 hours later (2 sprays ea wrist) its still there . not strong but faint. Orris, white chocolate, vanilla and faintly patchouli.

I don't think I would call this a gourmand. No, not quite.
I am really surprised by the patchouli in it - so far its quite nice.

So far... I want. Damn you Chanel for raising your prices!

(sorry for lengthy review, I know, I hate reading those too)

archivist
archivist

I find this pretty anisic/camphorous in the opening, but it does settle into something really lovely. In the early drydown, a sharp, sticky patchouli leaf (lovely) with coriander and zest dominate, but the best part is at the 10 minute mark, when the top notes settle enough for the base to glow through. I think my favorite part of this scent is the white chocolate in the base. Layering sharp green and smoky incense over a gourmand base is not an easy composition goal. I've tried lots of layering combos with gourmands and incense, and most of the time this causes my nose to just go fully on strike for a while. Coromandel uses the white chocolate so lavishly, and it blends so beautifully with the creamy benzoin, that it functions like a polished marble floor for the top and middle notes. And wood, IMO, is a middle note in this, not a base. Basenote woods tend to really trump a scent early on, but this is wood as an ornamental flourish. I've never gone looking for white chocolate in a scent. I don't really eat it (I'll take that black-as-night dark any day) and it doesn't really strike me as even being chocolate (some dim memory of Alton Brown even saying so is surfacing as I type this), but now I'm very curious to smell it in other places.

curvealert
curvealert

For the first thirty minutes on my skin, Coromandel smells like a cross between mouldy towels and wet leaves, with a touch of sweetness. Not the most auspicious of starts, but once this complex scent develops, the patchouli dies down a bit. Thank heavens - and I say that as a patchouli fan.

It takes some getting used to, but I can see myself wearing it when I'm feeling frisky. Not for the faint hearted.

Castor
Castor

It is nice, but sillage and longevity are enormous. Nothing wrong with that, but I find it very difficult to wear. In this sense, it is rather in the feminine side of things, specially when I have in mind that traditional masculine scents are restrained.

In my case, a spray under the shirt is more than enough. If careless, I can get a depression due to olfactive paranoia.

Something else: a fellow BNoter told me that all Lutens are in line with this one. Good news for me - it actually means that I can rule out the whole line if my tastes are along classic scents.

miss mills
miss mills

Thanks to the lovely Melzy, I am able to try this beauty for the first time. On first spraying, I can smell musk, amber, incense, rose and something sweet (the white chocolate?), caramelesque. It reminds me of something I have smelt before, I think it's either Portrait of a Lady with added musk and amber and less incense or Tauer Rose. I'm waiting for this to dry down into the base notes. Coromandel definitely has the Chanel smell, that classy, lasting quality that lesser ingredients can never muster. Mm, now it's settling into the warmer, sweeter woodsy notes more and more. This fragrance is perfect for a chilly winter's day with a warm fire on, curling up with a cuppa. Gorgeous fragrance, can so easily see why it is so loved.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

This fragrance is completely unusual to me. It has so many different smells intermingled, and changes so much from the initial spray to the dry-down.

I can echo the review below me, the patchouli, orris, and woody notes in this do give somewhat of a 'moldy' feel in the heart of the fragrance - very earthy and damp. There is also a juxtaposition of a smooth creamy note, and something suede thrown in - but for me, I think that earthy part doesn't mix very fortunately with my chemistry. This might have to hit the swap list!

The longevity is ridiculous though - many many hours, into the next day.

TheFrenchMistress
TheFrenchMistress

This was love at second sniff.

I adore patchouli in all its guises and was sure I'd like Coromandel, so when I sprayed some on and got a noseful of slimy, rotting vegetation like soggy leaves in a week-old vase of flowers, it was a total curve-ball. I don't know what happened, but the smell was truly revolting. I was distraught.

Unwilling to give up, I tried again months later... and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever smelled. After trying a third time to be sure, I committed to a full bottle and have never looked back.

The many descriptions below combine to give an accurate impression of Coromandel -- it's a chocolatey-creamy-powdery-earthy-vanilla-patchouli-woody dream. Interestingly, in the drydown I also get a musky-sandalwood note, rather like a combination of subtle cumin and ambrette seed. The effect is not unlike the rich, musky, er, bottom of Musc Ravageur, subtler but still definitely ever so slightly rude. Utterly mesmeric.

All in all, Coromandel is a thing of beauty, androgynous in all the right ways, with really good lasting power to boot. Love love love it.

lulllull
lulllull

My favorite note is patchouli. I like it with a hint of vanilla or a bit of spice, wrapped in amber or laced with jasmine. But my favorite patchouli is the really dirty kind. Coromandel is dirty and very earthy. The subtle choclate note softens it just the right amount and the incense covers it in asian mystique.

I wore this on my wedding day with a beautiful blue/green kimono inspired dress in silk. This is the one for me. Forever. Coromandel, my heart is yours.

yourfriendmarito
yourfriendmarito

I am blown away! I have tried Coromandel about 2 hours ago and it is lovely. This perfume is surprisingly strong for the exclusive line which is usually very soft. After 30 min, I thought "wait a minute, I have something like this at home". It remembers me of Angel Men. This is certainly due to the fact that both are patchouli/vanilla. After a while, Coromandel takes the direction of incense. Someone below mentioned Zino Davidoff and I get the comparison. This perfume is definetely on the masculine side. I am not sure if I want to buy it, as it is similar to A*Men that I own. I should put A*Men more often.

angel6
angel6

Powerhouse perfume. Just put a tiny tiny bit in my arm and so far makes me think of l'instant pour home by Guerlain. beautiful. I will try it again later with more time.
Edit: This perfume is stunning, I'm a person that never been very keen about patchouli but the combination of patchouli and white chocolate in this is very elegant.This perfume smell of luxury. Masterpiece. 9/10

Nosy_Thoughts
Nosy_Thoughts

Not your typical aldehydic Chanel. OK, it might be! but there's much more in store with this one. How this develops is where it gets interesting. At one point its all silky-milky, then suddenly turns all feisty and sharp (the patchouli in this is just filthy!). Eventually, the schizophrenia settles down to somewhere in between the 'soft but frisky' territory. Somehow, I picture this to be the ultimate Diva perfume.. Some might complain that it doesn't last terribly long, though noticeable traces of it weirdly lingers throughout the ENTIRE day - and this is EDT concentration! 5*

Liamsardea
Liamsardea

A moreish gourmand. Welcome to olfactic cloud nine.

Away from the usual tobacco and oud notes I adore, Coromandel is the antithesis. Creamy, rich and sumptuous in smell, this fragrance embodies the house of Chanel perfectly. Like the smell of a new jacket or delicate fabric, you can imagine the smell of Chanel garments emanate the buttery, quasi-gourmand delight of Coromandel (Les Exclusif). I say this is the smell of ‘new clothes’ because my trips to Tom Ford or Prada inevitably lead to the inspection of top-notch garments in the most pristine of conditions with the ‘cleanest’ and ‘classiest’ of all smells; This is it, in creamy superlative form.

An artful oriental with an opening of dirty patchouli, and the resinous cloy of sandalwood, benzoin/balsam, incense and frankincense, it is trailed with a bouquet of vanillin scents, including velvety iris, vanilla bean and delicate rose.

The opening is without a doubt, old world (maybe even old lady) with the potent stickiness that reminds me of the smell of old books and wood. The sticky bitterness and the heaviness of patchouli fades quickly from a rough soil note to something dreamy and buttery (cheesecake-esque).

Coromandel is made moreish (smell your arm good) with the creamy note of white chocolate which isn’t as heady as a dark chocolate note, but innocent and optimistic in its milky, cocoa butter composition; speckled with vanillin notes. Rose serves the important note to develop the accord into something three dimensional, formulating interest and contrast. Bitter orange/neroli, jasmine and a ‘root’ note are transparent in the mix, however still serve to create interest through bitterness with every whiff.

Unlike many feminine, flower/rose based fragrances coromandel only becomes slightly powdery in the dry down. The chocolate and bouquet notes only become amplified whilst the incense dies down forming the warming heart of the fragrance. The incense note lies at the back of the nose, whilst the other notes are upfront and proud. This is backed up with more detectible tinges of amber and musk in the accord. Woody notes give body and ‘weight’

The sweet non-offensive vanilla note is awe-inspiring. A wonderful vanilla aroma radiates without it becoming too sickly or candy like. Hence, in conjunction with amber and patchouli, the fragrance is very warming and very comforting.

This fragrance is in my opinion, unisex, however verges very close to feminine. I can imagine the scent would smell very different on a man than a woman, and vice-versa. The olibanum x vanilla notes in the fragrance would project different on either sex and hence skin chemistry should be taken into account. A must try before you buy.

An absolute masterpiece, it exudes finesse in its creation, veneration in its conception (through lovely storytelling) and when applied conveys appreciation for all things lavish. Nevertheless, some people will not like this fragrance to wear, but anyone will enjoy the accord from opening to drydown. This is the true “Chanel No. 5″, this is the immaculate masterpiece of the house and better yet made unisex enough for all to wear, as long as you’re wearing at least one designer/haute article of clothing with it!

For an EdT this has a very impressive longevity, with a couple of sprays adequate enough to last the day. Sillage is a little better than moderate and in no way offensive or ‘too much’.

Out of this world 5/5.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

I generally love patch and having read the mainly favourable reviews, was curious to experience Coromandel. I bought a decant from The Perfumed Court and although it's OK, I'm not so enamoured with this one that I'd be tempted to spring for a full bottle. Average longevity and sillage. For some reason, I detect evident shades of Shalimar. To be honest, I'm rather non plussed with it, although I might just love it on someone else.

abraham.roberts
abraham.roberts

FINALLY a Chanel fragrance for me!! I've been so disappointed in Chanel fragrances for men. After Bleu, I almost gave up on Chanel. A sales assoc. in Neiman Marcus suggested that I try the Chanel "exclusifs". I fell in love with Coromandel. You CANNOT smell the bottle and think you know what this fragrance smells like. It completely transforms into a smooth, refined, classy, sophisticated yummy scent. Yes, I said yummy. A white Godiva chocolate type of yum. This scent is very elegant, but I find it versatile. I would wear it in the office, to church, weddings, formal balls, or to impress a date. This is my new signature every day scent. It's not cheap, but neither am I. ;)

joplinbaby
joplinbaby

for me this is a lighter and sweeter version of davidoff zino for men.
very nice

aphexacid
aphexacid

I can appreciate why people love this so much, but i do not like this at all. Not right now at least.

Its VERY earthy, wet, almost soil like patchouli. Vanilla and apparently white chocolate. Makes for a dizzyingly cloyness that almost made me pass out in the Chanel boutique.

Longevity and projection is massive.

I'll revisit the samples i was given at a later date and update if needed.

pravda48
pravda48

There's an odd sour tinge in this that I found reminiscent of mold at first from a distance, like something sitting too long in still water... the danker type of patchouli and the orris root I think. My overall impression is that of spiced, slightly sweet candles (burning, yes, a definite smokiness is present) in a cellar. That said, this opening is not offensive to me, just very strange. I am surprised this has as big of a following for being so wet and dark smelling, so full of that 'leaves with the tinge of decay' smell, like the bed of a forest floor where it rains often and there's a constant mat of brown, wet leaves on the ground. But of course with the candles all around for a touch of vanilla spice and smoke... like a fall ritual taking place in the woods ;)

ETA: later the heavy tones of patchouli, olibanum & incense, and orris really mellow out. A lovely, richly balanced vanilla comes through all of the earth and smoke to become a very elegant, sophisticated vanilla. I find the heavy opening of it is a bit choking, but I have sensitive lungs of late. (ie. cedar, vetiver, and incense notes are things I have to be very careful of!) May give it another wearing a bit more distant from my nose and observe it from there. I want to really 'get' it after seeing the magic of a few other Chanel's I initially thought I disliked.

kingdanny4754
kingdanny4754

This fragrance is very good. If you want to smell like class sample this fragrance. Very happy with a 5ml decant I got. Full bottle worthy.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Coromandel opens with a thick, dense, black resinous sandalwood-incense accord, bitter and sticky, with a refined and brighter crown of vanillin-flowers notes (iris, violet, rose, all quite velvety and discreetly sensual). For a while it gets slightly and "far" close to some Kamali's Incense, or some Slumberhouse scents, or more obviously Sheldrake himself, at least for the resinous, oily-sticky "blackness" of the opening. A hint of fruits (almost rhubarb), a mysore sandalwood note and aldehydes. A base powdery creaminess of white musks, orris and ylang. Obscure and quite fascinating, it then progressively sweetens and softens as minutes pass, eventually settling on a mellow, soft, creamy-musky drydown comprising again sandalwood, a salty-metallic note, a balsamic breeze. The "Chanel touch" is the aldehydes accord, which gives the scent a metallic, powdery roundness, keeping it in a quite classic European chypre territory. Still it's globally a fresh (meaning "new") and unpredictable scent, fairly remarkable to be honest: mainstream enough, a bit glossy and restrained, but charming and well-executed. For mainstream lovers which want to add a touch of shade and "niche" to their collection.

7,5/10

adrienn99
adrienn99

a creamier version for Molinard Vanille Patchouli, bit more blended as well.

Marli1973
Marli1973

I am totally in love with Coromandel. Just can't wait to get hold of a full bottle, hopefully soon.
So conforting and classy. x
Got my precious bottle : - )

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

This is a non gourmand type of creamy white chocolate patchouli with a strong presence of orris root, which to my nose bears a strong resemblance to C'est la Fete Patchouli, Chanel being more subdued and refined than the Lacroix, which comes across more like a free spirit featuring a louder, brassier patchouli. The woody notes here smell like freshly sanded down planks to me with a quiet musk lingering in the back.The orris root is very apparent to my nose, on par with the patchouli and in this respect, Coromandel reminds me of Tauer's pentachord white. The incense is muted in this according to my nose, which is used to bombastic spices like Tauer's L'air du desert Marocain or Luten's Amber Sultan or the incense range by CDG. The sillage and longevity are good, lasting more than half a day on skin and clothes, although towards the 8 hour mark, it becomes more of a skin scent but lasts better on cloth. I enjoy Coromandel but less so after spending time with a bigger variety of patchouli scents. Those who like a touch of patchouli leaning towards the creamy chocolate variety, will definitely enjoy this. An old-money lady that stays on the side of conservative.
On a side note, this scent was created with the idea of Oriental lacquer screens in mind. Being Oriental and protective of my culture, I would say that this does not bear resemblance to the beauty of the screens Chanel must have seen. This comes across more of a French interpretation of the Orient. The best interpretation yet is still YSL's Opium.

xrayer
xrayer

This morning I got up to a cold crisp autumn morning and thought hmmmm what should I wear today? I reached for my sample of Chanel coromandel (thanks Melzy!). This is gorgeous, at first sniff it does indeed smell similar to Prada amber but that only lasts about 10mins. I found the Prada morphed into something vaguely unpleasant on me but coromandel seems to just deepen and warm up the longer you wear it, the woody amber is so cozy and beautiful. This reminds me of snuggling in front of the fire. Just stunning.

M75
M75

BEAUTIFUL !!!! Love it very much but as it is quite expensive I have not bought it again. Warm sweet scent, special, mystical and unique. Beautiful composition! and guess what.. I usually do not like patchouli fragrances... Beats me, but this fragrance is worth the try/buy. Be aware though.. if you do not want to leave an impression.. do not wear it ;-)!

JaiTee
JaiTee

My nose & brain is in love with this scent from the incense-infused opening that I get, through the substantial middle, all the way to the powdery, slightly vanilla drydown.

This is my first day wearing Coromandel, so I will update after a few more days, but so far, I love how it smells. A couple of sprays have lasted four or five hours, and now, in hour eight, it is more of a skin scent. Sillage was almost arms-length in the first hour (I occasionally noticed it during lunch.)

mylena
mylena

I tried it today. At first all I could smell was the benzoin, and it just smelled musty, like an old basement. I left the store and after about 20 min I started to smell something delicious, that's when I realized it was Coromandel! I'm in love!! I need to try once more, just to make sure, since it's so expensive.

amelie
amelie

Much praised by all ... really nice, but I thought it was more mystical. It is warm, pleasant, indeed, but I was instantly reminded of something from my childhood, a kind of glue that we use at school. Could be good on men too, but I expected more, I guess.

spidola
spidola

I have no doubt of the quality of Coromandel and I think that only high quality fumes can give us emotions. And yes, Coromandel gave me emotions, but unfortunately these emotions were not very pleasant. Since negative reviews are needed to avoid blind buys, I describe my feelings.
For the first I must say, I would like to smell it on the man, I could perceive it differently and change my mind. I tested it by myself only, so here we go…
Actually I got a smell of moldy cooked vegetables mixed with some bitter herbal drug (like wormwood ). Maybe it’s olibanum, I doubt it’s patchouly or incense, because I love both…or maybe it’s the mix of these with benzoin, I cannot explain… Drying down the smell got sweeter, ambery and much more tolerable. I could say even nice and really very elegant, while remaining always on the masculine side by my opinion. And it was all disappeared after 2 hours.

To persons, who love Coromandel, I would suggest to test Nasomatto Absinth – I got the same vibe, but with an excellent longevity.

Advise - Test before buying!

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a tiny decant. Heavy on patchouli and benzoin. I don't get much incense though. It has moderate projection and good longevity on my skin. If your love is in the vein of LIDGE, you may like this.

Hellita
Hellita

I'm surprised, but this is not for me at all. Smelling the bottle was enough, didn't even dare trying it on. I'm sure it will be totally different on skin, based on the many positive reviews in here. But I could not believe all the positive reviews was about the same perfume I smelt today. NO! I'm disappointed.

Scrilla
Scrilla

In brief, as there are many outstanding reviews of this fragrance: coromandel is beautiful in that it seems so easy, but it's not. There is so much going on but it comes together and hums--no purrs, all around you. Beauty.

moonflower73
moonflower73

Being highly intrigued by the Les Exclusifs de Chanel line I decided to order a sample of each.

Cormomandel has a nice ambery essence to it. I like the warmth, woodiness, and patchouliness this fragrance has to offer. This fragrance remains soft on my skin and has that signature powdery aroma that many Chanel fragrances carry. All of these characteristics I smell in the backdrop of this scent. While inhaling it deeply on my wrist I almost get a peppermint burn to it. Similar to what happens to your nostrils when you inhale Vicks vapor rub. Not the smell but the sensation. I do not feel this fragrance is overpowering on me. It remains moderately light. The one thing I am not too fond of in Coromandel is the musty basement vibe it has going on. It has some very unique qualities to it that makes it very original. Just may not be for me.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

A deep dark celebration of woods, sweet balsams, vanilla, cocoa. Surprisingly dark, even, for a mainstream-house fragrance; it seems like a chic "niche" number to me. Sandalwood, here milky/coconutty; oudh, patchouly, incenses and vanilla make a deep, rich, cafe au lait-dark number. What is stunning about this scent is the way a number of deep-dark essences have been combined, yet the result is not blurred or headshoppy: each note's shining facets sing out from the truffly/barky wood ensemble; only master perfumer, with a chemistry background, can pull this feat off. Iso-E-Super lends its woodiness, and cashmeran lends its truffly/fungal qualities. Leans towards the masculine, but women will love it, too. COROMANDEL is a luxurious "more is more" fragrance.

Deefit
Deefit

It is heavy on patchouli, which is why I dislike it. Very earthy, soil like smell. Underneath there is a warm, smoky base that's soft and deep. I wish that were more prominent, but unfortunately this is not the case.

yvashche
yvashche

Sampled Coromandel and Sycomore and found them both classic but well-done. Decided to buy. When I sprayed them, the effect was pleasant but in no way meriting the price tag. I am shocked at the poor lasting power. Even though the bottles are huge, you'd have to bathe in it constantly just to get an effect. Highly disappointing.

ularewolf
ularewolf

Finally got a bottle of this, after using my sample of it constantly. This just exudes quality.

It is neither male nor female, this fragrance is a masterpiece.
It is versatile, you can wear this out with friends, at your job, to a high-class party, anything you desire. It also works in every temperature possible.

It manages to be light, but deep, sweet, yet not sweet. And complex to the max. It seems to change every time I wear it, but always stays amazing.

It manages to push out for 10+ hours, but never overstepping its boundaries. This isn't a scent to kill everyone in the room, but you will be noticed in a more respectable manner.

As for the scent, I get patchouli and benzoin mainly, but sometimes I get some spices in this too with more florals. It changes, and I don't know why, but it needs to be experienced to understand the complexity of this, it's like no other I've smelled.

This is one of the greatest fragrances I have managed to encounter.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

There's nothing superlative that hasn't already been ascribed to Coromandel. I will say that I'm so happy to have it at last. Being someone who is captivated by almost everything Asian (Art, furnishings, food, music, etc.) this is just what I needed. It is Perfect.

I could find and try Coromandel at last.
Now I see all the enthusiasm about, I mean, not my cup of tea at all, but I can understand how many members with classy sophisticated tastes can appreciate this good work of art.
For me it's too dry and vaguely musty like the pages of an old book or an old elegant library.
The patchouli doesn't kill everything else on my skin. rather the incense makes all very dry.
A totally unisex scent for anyone with refined tastes who like to smell not mainstream.
I don't like the fact that all the beautiful notes in the list don't come out clearly. Especially flowers are sunk in the blend. Where is neroli? Usually a pungent and dominant note, at least in the opening, but here is so subdued. And rose, jasmin?
Too little of a floral for my likes, but definetely a great scent!
The EdT is very longlasting.

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

Really, this perfume is a patchouli bomb on me. The first top notes are so pleasant, I even get some light floral notes. Then it dries down to just patchouli and white chocolate, which is not a bad thing, it just doesn't appear to last long on my skin, maybe 4 hours at max. Still, one day I shall purchase a bottle. If you like Angel but want something a little (a lot) more sophisticated, pay a couple extra bucks and go for Coromandel!

Before_Sunrise
Before_Sunrise

A special friend of mine gifted me a 10ml decant from her beautiful bottle and since then I'm in heaven..

Crimson red velvet walls, deep dark incense and patchouli on a wet, smoky belle epoque bar..

Cold winter nights compliment coromandel at the highest level on my skin.

LanaDP86
LanaDP86

If I ever meet the President, I'm wearing this!

pomdgf
pomdgf

Elegant, Exclusive and East are three words that I give for this perfume. It's a powerful emotional and mysterious in a bottle but not overpowering if u carefully wearing. In fact, I thought this perfume is in the same line of famous CoCo, CoCo Mademoiselle and CoCo Noir. I'm sure if you love all famous CoCo line you will fall in love in Coromandel. Enjoy with this perfume.

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

The best perfume... Ever! I recently discovered the Les Exclusifs line from Chanel and have sampled all of them with a fine tooth comb, and although they all are extremely gorgeous and unbelievably well crafted, Coromandel knocked my socks off! 31 Rue Cambon, Sycamore, and Cuir de Russie are my next 3 favorites which are worth the coin but those are other perfumes worthy of lengthy paragraphs as well, but let's discuss Coromandel!

This is an extremely luxurious and of the highest quality perfume available on the market within this pricepoint without dropping some cash upwards in the realm of a large car payment or monthly mortgage. The opening is overwhelmingly striking and loud for about 15 minutes with Citrus, Bitter Orange and Neroli but quickly burns off and transitions seamlessly into the heart of predominately Orris Root, Jasmine, Rose, and Patchouli. The heart and base play together as one ever so sneakingly where White Chocolate, Benzoine, Incense, Patchouli, Woods, Olibanum and Tahitian Vanilla melt together, but never create the sensation of being blobbed and are all very noticeable as individual notes simultaneously which just goes to show the amount of effort that was applied to blending, but the only dominate note is Patchouli. The others peek out every once in a while to shine softly along with Patchouli. The drydown is so freakin` creamy you can spread it with a butter knife. It just gets better, and better, and better. It`s kinda surreal how beautiful this perfume smells. It creates the olfactory illusion of how `new` things smell, if that makes sense. I get the illusion of new clothing, and I love how new clothes smell. I'm pretty darn good at reviewing perfumes, but I'm so blown away from Coromandel that I'm at a loss for words. Really, it`s that good! I get giddy like a little school girl just thinking about wearing this stuff, seriously. As stupid as that sounds, it's true. I fell in love with it instantly. And as for longevity and sillage? Well... a solid 8 hours and then a skin scent after that, but who cares, because with 200 milliliters of pure bliss you can just reapply and get that same endorphin high all over again.

Overall, Coromandel is quality to the Nth degree with zero synthetics, exudes wealth, and just makes you feel like a million bucks. I could be in a pissy mood and go trigger happy with some Coromandel and I'm instantly on cloud 9. I've honestly never recieved so many compliments on a perfume, and it's absolutely worth the $280, in fact, I think it smells so plush and rich that I'd pay twice that, no joke, plus you get an ultra chic flacon that comes equipped with a nifty magnetic cap that assures that even while you're in your drunken stupor from the high of Coromandel, the Chanel label always lines up correctly, and the flacon also sits beautifully atop it's Chanel stand that accompanies it... And as for that Pour Femme label, Who really cares, because smelling this gorgeous should be appreciated by any gender.

lemonfreshman
lemonfreshman

The most refreshing, smooth, vanilla, woody, smell. Creamy, calming, sunny, silky, not overly "heavy". An expertly crafted fragrance. Something fresh in this; kind of like sunscreen, or insect repellent, but heavenly. To me it is a laid-back and happy smell, although luxurious.

42gr
42gr

Pretty Heady Stuff. Love it.

Best way to describe as high quality cinnamon bubblegum.
Good for male

I'm finding Chanel Coromandel and Bleu contain the same foundation scent. If Coromandel is the St Bernard with a keg of perfume around its neck then Bleu is the pet Chihuahua - a tiny scent in comparison.

Coromandel (for women) was introduced in 2007
by Jacques Polge / Christopher Sheldrake

Bleu (for men) was launched in 2010 again by Jacques Polge. This time the base in Bleu has been dramatically turned down to try and make it more acceptable for a male audience. You have a successful formula for women (Coromandel). Lets try and capture the other half of the market. Makes sense.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos, introduced in 2004, Rodrigo Flores-Roux, seems to be one of the grandfather originators of this sweet scent. Try the comparison to see what I mean.

birsen
birsen

Oh my Lord! This is so pretty!
At a first spritz it's spicy,sweet, and warm and as it settles down i start to smell soft comforting patchouli... Wonderful scent, i think i am hooked :)
It is expensive, but it really worth every penny.
Long lasting and projecting nicely on the skin, without overpowering.
Delightful...
Edit: The more I am wearing this the more I love it. Couple sprays really goes for long time, totally worths every penny!

henri345que
henri345que

It`s hard to find exactly what i dislike here, but Coromandel is a composition that doesn`t create me comfort or makes me feel elegant or sexy or pleases me. On skin, there`s something between the patchouli and amber that should be like music but instead it`s like nails on blackboard. The earthy, powdery and complex aura of patchouli gets ruined by a wrong amber and i feel frustrated and peeved everytime i wear it. The rose and vanilla doesn`t help to mask or harmonize the main idea. The rose, specially, creates a plastic impression with the amber that seems to go in and out of focus, just like an annyoing note poking the nose.
I prefer other variations of this idea - for a luxury, outrageously expensive one, Richwood does the service much better creating a smooth evolution, keeping the structure and avoiding the amber common place. Zino Davidoff is very close to Coromandel, but uses the amber with more wisdom. And you also have the dark, bitter chocolate patchouly version on Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens. It`s a good luxury addition to the les exclusif line and one that it`s adherent with the austere fragrant vision of vintage chanels. But it has a lapse of judgment for me in the choose of the base note. I decided to wear it again after an year to see if i changed my mind on this one, but honestly i don`t miss it and i think that i`ll not miss its smell soon.

RedFloyd
RedFloyd

As a gourmand lover I must admit I was hoping for something more foody, with the chocolate, vanilla and all... But in reality It's not something I would want to eat. It's a perfumey perfume. And I adore it! I can still smell the powdery chocolate and vanilla, but not in an edible way. It's very complex and cozy at the same time. It's brilliant!

hsd1
hsd1

Extremely pungent on my skin (for some reason many Chanels are like this on me). Initially I was intrigued, since it has the warm spice, which I like at time, and something different which I hadn't smelled before. After an hour, I had to wash it off, way too heady. Lots of patchouli, smoke and spice, and animalistic for sure. After washing with lots of soap and water, the smell still lingered quite strongly, and wasn't too bad. Another reviewer mentioned the word musty, which is how it turned on me. After the mustiness wore off, the warm spice came back and it was good. All of this after it had been scrubbed. Too bad, it seems like it is amazing on others. Would be better suited on a man perhaps, or a woman who's chemistry can temper it.

Michael1962
Michael1962

I take back my previous review re Noir de Noir.
Although rose is a note here I dont detect any and instead get a realistic comparison with Dior's Imperial Patchouli minus the coriander.However not quite as pungent on my skin.
Nevertheless this is a smooth and creamy patch bomb and thoroughly delightful.

Jillita
Jillita

Coromandel may be the best fragrance of all time. It has taken me some time of wearing it to try and do it justice in words and I just can't. It has a multi-dimensional personality; it is a floral, a fougere, a sparkling chypre, a spicy and warm oriental. It is the most perfect patchouli. It is a grand French feast, and a bagel on the fly. It is safe for the office, it is dangerous to wear at night. It is a ski trip to the top of the world and then it is a languorous summer evening on a tropical island. It is baroque and sophisticated as it also satisfies the endless yearnings of the shallowest of personalities. It is a classic novel. It is a gorgeous, timeless, song. It is a Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring fragrance. It is intimate on the skin, and then reserved and formal in its trail. It is a deep and enduring friendship, and then a casual fling. It's perfect for your wedding day. It is a hug, and it is indifferent. It is equally intoxicating on a woman and a man. It is everything and all at once. Sorry to sound pretentious, but Chanel Coromandel surpasses all. Whatever you love, whomever you love, that's what it is.

Platinum1
Platinum1

As my first venture into the elite Exclusifs of Polge's creations the quality and blending of ingredients in this bottle is simply breath taking!
This velvety smooth warm comforting patchouli scent evokes in me the touch of a beautiful woman that I've never met.
The long lasting longevity and perfect sillage waves of Amber and Vanilla carries me around the world to the place in my dreams where she exists.
For my nose when the powdery almost boozy floral notes comes into play it intoxicates my senses of this fragrant mysterious women.
Coromandel has infatuated me not with just her perfectly blended chain of notes but even more so with the image she evokes in me that is, she is, within reach every time I spray.
~ Platinum my friend you have met your match and she is Coromandel ~

Dragon St Charles
Dragon St Charles

I respectfully disagree with the Noir de Noir comparison (sorry). NdN has tons of rose and Coromandel has none...... and that makes all the difference. They're both wonderful fragrances but quite different.

And Borneo 1834? Also another wonderful fragrance and a favorite of mine. It's a deap cacao patch, but one is not like the other.

This is also compared to Prada Intense. No on that as well.

Only Coromandel smells like Coromandel.

peekaboow
peekaboow

If there will be a scent that brings out sweet childhood memory, a scent that will make my children think of me, this is it! I want it to be Coromandel.

To me Coromandel represents strength, beauty, elegance, wealth, self confidence, honesty, courage, and loyalty. As a lady, nothing would shake her off her feet, she will stand strong against any challenges.

I am very pleased to experience her and will make sure not to part with her, ever. Thanks to a very kind FR fellow who had introduced me to this little piece of heaven, you know who you are ;)

mpbrown
mpbrown

This has got to be one of the most beautiful and interesting fragrances! It's unmistakably Chanel. I could tell it from the first moment I applied it to my skin - that Chanel signature something.... Directly thereafter it veered aromatic and piney-woody, then this warm vanilla and white chocolate came through with a sharp, true fresh patchouli leaf.....and then, strangely enough, canned beets! I wasn't sure about it at this point and it seemed to disappear on me, or I was anosmic to it because I could not smell it very well at all. After about an hour though, this fragrance just suddenly develops and blooms into the most glorious and cozy, earthy yet gourmand beauty. It has the most ethereal sillage... incense. I have not experienced anything like this fragrance and I just love it!

Jose Marcos

@hemp, I live in a very hot weather country, 24/7 365 days and for me Coromandel is neither strong or weak, it is just perfect, less than an arm projection but Coromandel always smells fresh and delicious even 10 hours later. I just love its earthness from the high quality ingredients used, as it is a Chanel.

hemp

@christianne1...I put three sprays of this on and went to a girls place and she said it flooded her whole house, she could still smell it the next day after I'd left so it's definitely no weak fragrance. Well worth the money

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Big, sweet, deep and rich. Reminds me of Obsession and Coco - maybe Must de Cartier, though that's an old and fuzzy impression. I don't get the wood, incense or anything 'earthy', just big, sweet, amber. Not my sort of thing, so, lacking the drive to really breathe this in by the lungful, I can't really go any deeper with it.

I would unhesitatingly recommend this for a man who loves these notes. It is by no means a 'girls only' frag.

Cams
Cams

I got the "you smell amazing" compliment today! Beautiful fragrance and perfect for the season.

christianne1
christianne1

When you go through a drive through and reach out to get your drink and the lady says "good Lord you smell good" it makes you re-think the 8 sprays you put on earlier....or maybe it isn't because it is overwhelming but because it just smells THAT good. Coromandel went from "nice" to big massive love for me. It reminds me of a perfected and better quality dream version of Obsession. Uber sexy yet somehow refined and dignified. How does it do that? I love it on me but I think I would need smelling salts if I caught a whiff of this on a man. Men, if you are wondering how a woman likes for a man to smell. This...this. Freaking yum. Maybe one day I will meet a man in real life who wears Chanel Exclusifs. And propose. Especially if it is Coromandel. But don't get me wrong, Coromandel is totally unisex. It makes me feel like I am back in the 80s but with better hair. And less sparkles.

Catty
Catty

I´m patchouli fan. Besides that, I have been searching for my new signature fragrance (I wore Allure for 14 years), and when I sprayed Coromandel today, I just said: "-I found it!".

I have no words to describe how divine, feminine, complex and extremely refined this scent is. It´s a light sweetness that envelops you the whole day, with the complexity of the amber, patchouli, resins and Woods. The raw materials are very natural; highest Quality.

It´s very sensual but not a sexy scent. Indeed, I think it´s very classy, distinct.

Coromandel is really ahead of this cheap sweet Mainstream candy fragrances.

It can be wore during the date, but also on the evening for a Special Occasion.

Simply, the perfect fragrance for me!

lilinah
lilinah

@Jose Marcos: according to the Chanel site in the US, they are EDT.

LeisaSch
LeisaSch

This is an incredible fragrance and one of the best of Chanel's line. It's a sea of contrasts - resins, gourmand notes, woods, incense, citrus, florals - it's got it all.

Dry but warm, sweet but balmy, sharp but it has elements that really are so smooth. Spicy, delicious, complex and really unique.

nizzagirl
nizzagirl

Gives a sugary anis on my skin with a silent wood in the background.

Krupp
Krupp

My absolute favorite for the moment! Coromandel has the most creamy, soft scent, and provides well-being and tranquility. VERY far from the sharp fresh citrus scents that next Coromandel smells like cheap cleaning products for the home.

Is it a classic men's fragrance? No, I don't think so. There is no cowboy in a bottle of Chanel! But in cool weather, or in the wee hours of the night, Coromandel has some magical luxury in it selves, which fascinates.

Jose Marcos

Are these fragrances in the Les Exclusisifs line EDT or EDP concrentation, could anyone tell?

candymarie

hemp - I totally agree. You would think the vanilla and white chocolate, which are quite prominent (and which I think should be above incense on the pyramid of notes) would make it super feminine, but they don't. The sweetness is balanced out after several minutes by the dry notes.

hemp

I bought a 5ml sample of this and it was love at first sniff. Its classed as womens perfume but its definitely unisex and as a man im not worried about smelling like a girl wearing this. I love it that much i bought a 200ml bottle. Its the closest thing Ive come to the perfect scent so far, to my nose anyway

According to Chanel:

"A spirited oriental fragrance that reveals itself by interrupting its amber vibrato with dry notes and finally settles into a long, restrained, voluptuous accord."

I can't imagine a better or more concise description of this gorgeous creature. It's everything I want a perfume to be.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Patchouli bomb - death by patchouli! It's the patchouli note you'll find in Coco Mademoiselle, Coco Noir and other perfume houses. If you don't like those, you'll loathe this. I put it on by mistake because you can't tell how powerful it is from the tester, but beware - on skin it detonates into the atmosphere and lingers there like a dense cloud for ever more. I tried it on before boarding a train and probably nearly asphyxiated my poor fellow passengers.

But, needless to say, if you love patchouli, you'll love this!
(Edit; 9 days later, can't get it off my coat sleeve)
Later edit 7th Oct, it has faded to a damp mildew note, this is after washing sleeve and brushing with sodium bicarb,

faster44
faster44

العطر روعه ان شاء الله اقتنيه.

Kain
Kain

While my first experience with Chanel exclusive line (Bois des Iles) was a completely disappointment, this one got my attention and I must admit it's a great fragrance!
The opening is a warm, sweet,spicy and slightly smoky scent.
The benzoin note create a warm, sweet and slightly resinous scent that is mixed with some incense note.
The incense note is not that strong, but strong enough to give it a very light smoky aroma.
There is also a spicy scent, something like cinnamon that beside those sweet and warm notes, create a strong and very sensual oriental scent.
As time goes by, in the mid the magic happens!
The spicy cinnamon like and incense notes settle down and white chocolate kick in.
The white chocolate note mixed with benzoin and vanilla, create a sweet, yummy and extremely sensual scent. when you're hungry don't use this fragrance because you may eat your wrists!!!!
The sweetness is more creamy and slightly sugary and it's really well balanced. it's not in your face and cloying at all.
In the base, it's time for patchouli note to shine!
In the base you can still smell that sweet white chocolate scent and now the patchouli note comes in and give it much more depth.
The patchouli note give the scent slightly sharp, earthy and wet feeling and this combination remind me of "Thierry Mugler Angel" in many ways but much smoother.
A great complex and sensual fragrance with very good projection and great longevity.
Well done!

راستش عطر قبلی که از سری عطرهای حرفه ای شنل تست کردم و البته اولین تجربه ام بود، منو کاملا ناامید کرد ولی حالا این عطر امید دوباره ای به من داد و منو به این سری دوباره علاقه مند کرد
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر بوی گرم و شیرین و تقریبا وانیلی هست که به خاطر رایحه بخور کمی حس دودی و تلخ داره
یه رایحه تند و البته بسیار خوشبو شبیه به دارچین هم میشه حس کرد اما تو رایحه های عطر که نگاه کنی دارچین ذکر نشده
رایحه ابتدایی در کل بوی بسیار خوشبو و خوشمزه ای داره که کمی تم یونیسکس داره تا کاملا زنانه
بعد از گذشت زمان و در رایحه میانی شما با یه رایحه جادویی و بی نهایت سکسی مواجه میشین
رایحه بخور و رایحه دارچین مانند تا حد زیادی ضعیف میشن و حالا رایحه شکلات سفید وارد میشه
ترکیب رایحه شکلات سفید با وانیل یه بوی بی نهایت خوشمزه و سکسی ایجاد میکنه که آدم دوست داره دستشو بخوره
میدونین بوش منو یاد چی میندازه؟
بچه که بودیم یه شکلات هایی بود اندازه یه بند انگشت که شبیه برگ درخت بودن
دو نوع داشت. یه مدل قهوه ای که طعم شکلاتی داشت و یه مدل هم سفید که طعمی شیر و خامه مانند و در عین حال ملایم شکلاتی داشتن. بوی این عطر منو یاد اون سفید ها میندازه
شیرینی رایحه عطر خیلی زیاد نیست که دل آدمو بزنه. خیلی ملایم و متعادل هست
با گذر زمان و در رایحه پایه شما همچنان بوی شیرین و دلپذیر شکلات سفید رو حس میکنین و حالا بوی نعنای هندی بهش اضافه میشه
رایحه نعنای هندی کمی بوی تند و تیز و کمی خاکی و کمی هم مرطوب مانند به عطر میده و بوی عطرُ از حالت یکنواخت و خطی در میاره
رایحه پایه تا حد زیادی منو یاد عطر اِینجل زنانه از برند تیری موگلر میندازه منتها ملایمتر
پخش بو و ماندگاری این عطر بسیار خوبه و در این زمینه هیچ مشکلی نداره
یه عطر بسیار عالی و جذاب زنانه که البته گرونه

kris919
kris919

this is potent stuff! I get a strange note of top soil/dirt in the opening along with the amber/patchouli/incense...but it's still a beautiful perfume. Even though this is a strong scent, it's bright..unlike other strong heavy perfumes which are like heavy choke-y black clouds of life-killing despair. I'm glad I sampled this, but not sure it's full bottle worthy yet

dres1877
dres1877

I agree with Noire Foxs comments.

I had this sprayed on my arm at the store, as it was a recommendation. I choked on the price and bought Alurre Edition Blanche. But throughout the day the scent was powerful and pleasant. I kept sniffing that arm and remembered it was the one I didn't buy. I felt like I had a bionic fore arm. Nothing my in collection can carry the way this does. I do plan to pull the trigger on this but not now.

Gigis
Gigis

I think this may now be my favorite perfume of all time. It has an amazingly smooth transition from a refined woody herbal top through the rich basso oriental end. Perfect projection, great longevity, cinematic cohesive story.

Fantastic.

NoireFox
NoireFox

Warm, dusty, refined amber patch. Being a huge fan of amber orientals, this one was love at first sniff. It has the dry earthiness of Prada Amber and the powdery sweetness of Shalimar. Although it is a Chanel, it smells like a niche, being more finessed than their mainstream releases (i.e. Chance, Coco Mademoiselle, etc). And while I enjoy nearly all of the Chanel fragrances for different reasons (such as the ones mentioned above), I must admit, this one is much softer, more poised, more balanced. And while it boasts moderate sillage, the longevity is truly phenomenal. On me I mainly pick up on; incense, powdery amber, and a faint woodiness.
Disclaimer: You may get complimented by complete strangers. ;)

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

So ok just love the articulate and erudite reviews below. I shall lower the tone and just say sexy saltry Persian princess. Yes I know but that's my alter ego when I spritz this.

Bettany87
Bettany87

I almost dismissed this as another patchouli scent among many others as I was bombarded with potent patchouli initially. Coromandel is remarkably warm, stimulating and rich yet extremely comfortable.

Tremendous potency with a tinge of balmy, herbal quality is what I was getting minutes into the first blast. The patchouli, incense and woody notes continue to dominate as the whole concoction softens gently into the glorious dry down that got me hooked on this regal beauty. The creaminess of the white chocolate mingling with the sensual smokiness is a delight to the senses ... enduring throughout the final stage.

I do not find it too feminine, I can actually see how this could be enjoyed by both gender as it is such a deep, smooth and commanding scent. Lasting power is sure to impress at over 10 hours with my 2 sprays. ♥

Veteverian
Veteverian

Chanel Les Exclusives Coromandel

Coromandel reminds me of Saturday sauna at my Uncle's house decades ago. He had an old cedar sauna where he would pour equaliptus oil on the hot stones and whip the guests with birch branches for a massage. Later, we would drink herbal tea and eat chocolates.
The effect was calming and intoxicating.

The effect of Coromandel is calming and intoxicating. It conveys a feeling of having cognac and chocolates after a large meal. Coromandel is satiated, heavy, non transparent, luxurious, and rich.

It is not a summer scent. There is a gravity to it that makes it perfect for the colder days when the sidewalks are covered with colourful, rotting leaves, and you have just pulled out your favourite sweater out of storage . I see it as the perfect scent to wear to a bar late on a cold night.

It is a feminine scent which does not scream of sexuality. Instead, it whispers it. This is a scent for gentle, quiet, fall time romance. For whispers and meaningful glances. It could be worn by a man. I'd have to say that this is a scent best worn for yourself and those you love.

Veteverian.wordpress.com

Germany
Germany

Coromandel is extravagant, classy, sophisticated and very special.
Someone called it,, almost medical, and I have to agree its herbal in a natural medical way ,as the frankincense,( olibanum) is very aromatic oriental and woody.The vanilla lingers at all times in the background and comes out strong at times ,,, same with the patchouli and benzoin. I smell rose and smokiness in there somewhere as well, it truly is somewhat medical in a good sense , very fresh herbal with a warm vanilla amber undertone , oh I love it!!!!!
It reminds me of a classic scent of the 80 s , of an elegant European woman , well dressed and beautiful with edge !
It also reminds me of Prada Amber and Success by Bond.
I think it has a unisex feel to it, which makes this so assertive and stunning.
It's like an updated version of coco !
Definitely an oriental !
Definitely a keeper!

frag-overdose
frag-overdose

If 'coromandel' (the lacquered screen) is feast for the eyes,
this 'coromandel' is sensational, a celebration to olfaction.

Despite being inclusive in
Les Exclusifs de Chanel line,
I dare say this is truly EXCLUSIVE!
The stand out of the bunch.
The composition is to marvel for.

Sweet camphorous, almost medicinal,
the incense is vibrant than smoky,
and the floral powdery accord is subtle
yet blend so well in the composition.
Honestly, I don't really know how to describe this,
I would simply say, "it's Coromandel!"
and you know how great this smells.

Beautiful. Really is...

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

A warm ambery scent my wife likes but, alas, I do not. It reminds me too much of John Varvatos Platinum, a sample of which got on my nerves during the day. This will, too.

aristouka
aristouka

it reminds me more of a man's scent...nice smell but too masculine for a woman... it's my 3 years old boy fav!!!! i looove smell it on his tender skin!!! mostly because i adore him!!!

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

This perfume comes deep from the inner soul of heavenc... seriously folks, these extracts have been hand squished from angels :)

IT's the perfect woodsy patchouli with a kiss of powdered white chocolate.

I just sniff straight from the bottle and instantly feel better, all my whooez are forgotton.

The longevity is amazing and for an edt? lol, just un heard of.

Classy , sexy woodsy goodness in a bottle perfect for either sex. I really do not feel that it leans either way fem or masculine, just right in the middle , perfect for all

it's definently love

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

The most exquisite fragrance I know. Perfectly blended into creamy, spicy, earthiness with no note speaking out of place. It's like a harmony of beautiful sounds all maintaining tune with no octave too high or low. Coromandel makes me feel beautiful when I wear it. It's so grounded and comforting, it serves as a sort of affirmation that I am a woman and a force to be reckoned with. And because it is THE strongest and very longest lasting EDT I have ever known, it stays around all day or night long and makes you want to put your shoulders back and chin up and soak up whatever memories are being made in that moment. It's definetly a great choice for fancy dinners or occations with a significant other in the evening, but I find Coromandel so Irrestible, that I sometimes wear it during the day or even to work (although, I go lighter on the trigger at work because it is very potent). The subtle sweetness makes it soo completely addicting to me. You get the incense and musk intertwined so tightly with the patchouli then you get a certain touch of sweetness in the middle (either vanilla or white choc or both) and the whole composition makes you crave something sweet in there. You get it all throughout. In fact, I get everything pretty much from start to finish. It doesnt change much, if at all during its course. It resembles others out there, but only in its notes, not at all in structure and depth. Coromandel, my love. How ever did I live without you? :-)

Ambience
Ambience

This is heavenly! It's like a white chocolate version of Thierry Mugler's Angel :)

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

It's fragrances like this that remind me why I love Patchouli so much, it is handled absolutely perfectly and delicately in this perfume.

I was excited to try this one as I've never smelled white chocolate in any fragrance before, it is absolutely beautiful in this scent.

Apart from the delicious mix of Patchouli and white chocolate, there is a gorgeous incense note in here too as well as Jasmine, Amber and the vanilla note is just right and melds everything together wonderfully. The only Citruses I smelt were during the first 10 minutes or so and those too were very enjoyable.

This is the first Chanel fragrance that has ever worked on my skin, and I am SO happy about that :) If and when I can afford to buy a big bottle, I will absolutely do so as I can honestly say I haven't smelt anything quite like this before.

Thank you to the lovely Fragrantica member who sent me an impressive decant of this - it is now in the "Treasured" part of my collection as I will save this for some special occasions coming up. What a beauty!

aschiffm
aschiffm

definitely a vibrant amber scent very similar to prada amber like others have mentioned. but this one becomes way more fluffy and cuddly. i think prada amber is sexier, but can see why some might like the coziness of this one- its like amber clouds.

marinaw90
marinaw90

Wowza, this stuff is strong! But it does soften beautifully, and as others have said, is comforting and like a big hug. It is a mature scent, but so much more luxurious and well blended than other Chanels.

El Gauje
El Gauje

Hey you beautiful people out there

I am selling a packed chanel les exclusifs coromandel 200 ml.It hasn't been opened yet.I am based in United kingdom.Anybody is interested to buy is welcome to contact me on el.guaje.45@gmail.com.The perfume is very difficult to be found online and only two stores in london have it,one at Sloane street and the other perhaps somewhere in Chelsea area.Both the stores are selling it around 290 pounds.However i can negotiate on the retail price.
Keep smelling nice all of you.
Cheers.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

I must start by saying that I don't like, however much I've tried, fragrances in which patchouli is the more predominant and salient note. I like Patchouli when it is well blended with other notes. Coromandel is one of the exceptions so far. The Patchouli stands out at center stage in this composition, but Coromandel is so beautifully formulated that the Patchouli shines with a precious and different light. This composition is elegant, sophisticated, attractive...very haute. The smoky patchouli is counterbalanced with redolent and precious notes of amber, incense, woods, and most distinctly, white chocolate. This is Chanel sophistication and elegance in a bottle shining atop the Eiffel Tower.

Last, I need to say that as an heterosexual man I inquired and inquired and inquired as to whether Coromandel was unisex--not sure why the Les Exclusifs line of Chanel has this image of being targeted to women only. I was looking for another fragrance in Les Exclusifs line to give me the same successful experience I had with Chanel Sycomore and its vetiver. After receiving so many mixed answers and wasting six months of vacillation, I decided to bite the bullet, spend $130 blindly, and try it.

Coromandel is absolutely and undoubtedly an unisex fragrance. I wonder now if those men who answered this was a female fragrance were really big Coromandel fans trying to keep it under wraps. In my opinion, this is a hidden jewel of a fragrance that can also be worn by heterosexual men easily. Yes, it is a little sweet, but unisex sweet. On me, Coromandel takes on a more manly hue (I can smell light woody notes in the background, sandalwood???), whereas on my wife it smells more feminine. Not sure if this is by design or pure chance, but Coromandel seems to adjust nicely.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

Oh Coromandel! You've captured my heart and could soon capture my money too! I do not find this to be a heavy fragrance but it is very rich and decadent. Just the right amount of balmy and powder-y chocolate-y (subtle but the edible note is there). It is slightly sweet without being immature. But it's far from stuffy as well.

The blend itself is a harmonious balance of its elements, each having its own time to shine without overtaking the whole blend. As it warms, the patchouli becomes more present and the whole scent takes on a slightly mens shave cream essence. It stays well moderated though by the initial sweetness. Wearable by all, Coromandel is a true fragrant masterpiece!

KJS88
KJS88

Coromandel does not smell like baked goods or any sort of chocolate to me. Or white chocolate, which not chocolate. I often wonder where Turin got his nose. No one else I know has thought it remotely smells chocolately, something for which I am glad.

It is a refined, sophisticated, smooth ambery patchouli that straddles the line between Chypre and Oriental.

It has been compared to Prada and Prada Intense; I get the feeling that the comparison is based more on feel than on smell, which is only somewhat similar to both.

For the record, I believe it is closer in both feel and smell specifically to Guerlain's l'Instant Extreme Pour Homme.

However what makes Coromandel special is the elegance of its texture, and the softness with which it was orchestrated.

The patchouli is not dirty, but it is present and earthy. The benzoin, amber, muskette, and frankincense neither choking with smoke, nor keenly resinous, nor heavy and niche-y. The jasmine, rose and orange flower neither toosweet nor full-frontal. The aldehydes are neither glaring nor definitively feminine, and nor do they do much else but say plainly and honestly 'I am a Chanel.' The orris is neither doughy nor violet-y. And the orange is neither sharp nor acidic: it just gives lasting balance to the perfume and forms the introduction to the story of this chypre-oriental.

A class act. An essay in opulence and elegance suitable for both sexes that has none of the tacky, gaudy showiness of its brothers and sisters.

Olia_Aroma
Olia_Aroma

The opening was like a smash - I even got some headache. But then (about half an hour later) Coromandel and me came into harmony. What a beautiful, deep, rich scent it is! I'm happy to discover that it projects much better than some other Chanels. After 3-4 hours it was almost gone, but I don't mind refreshing it. Such a pleasure!

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

This is amazing, if sandalwood was a chocolate tree it would be a Coromandel Tree.

It is more untamed than Coco Noir, more Noir, more spacious. It is Tom Fords Black Orchid raw dough put in the oven, baked to the most perfect chocolatecake with roasted almonds(mandel means almond in danish).

If you doesn't have access to this beautiful experience. Try using Spicebomb by V&K as the facilitator on top of Tom Fords Black Orchid(my two former favorite Noir smeels). By incedent I tried those two together today and got a very very close match to Coromandel.

Coromandel I am falling in love, it feels like you could be my signature......but I have to see after 3 month right? I sincerly think so, but I wonder if my bottle last so long..

ForrealMe2
ForrealMe2

this is an amazing scent..it smells just like Prada Amber or more so Prada Intense but it is more smooth in its composition with the added spice of cinnamon without the vanilla being too cloying..and the scent is a bit brighter and fresher..in every area it is just right..i was saying to another fume head friend of mine that when my prada amber & intense finish i will be owning this bottle because Prada Intense is my favorite but its discontinued and i liked the spiciness of it more than regular Prada Amber so Coromandel will be my upgrade!

isabella211
isabella211

When I die, I will be wearing this. While I'm alive and glamorous, I will be wearing this. A fragrance that quite literally transcends time, a masterpiece. I don't say this lightly, in fact, I may be wrong, but I don't think I've ever said that about any of my loves (I'm reffering to my many precious perfumes, of course). This one wins the title. It may even be winning the oh so coveted "Signature Scent" title.

Art Deco, 1920's glamour. An aura in a bottle. Here we have the most perfect Amber to ever come into existence, smoldered in incense and freshly rained on leaves (the patchouli, I suppose)and dipped into creamy, WARM white chocolate. A resinous confection that is not to be eaten. Oh no, you would die if you tried. The leaves have fallen onto mushrooms that could be toxic and even though they've only faintly brushed up against them, you wouldn't want to take the chance. You'll have to settle for the puff of pure mystery and enchantemnt this brew has to offer, even though all you really want to do is wrap yourself up in it and then eat your way out.

It's not looking good for me, this bottle of mine. I fear it's going to be a multiple times a year purchase, at the rate I'm showering in it. Sigh. Chanel, your silk screen dreams and glamorous Siren ways have been captured to perfection and I am offically devoted to the religion that IS Coromandel.

charmedbella
charmedbella

I have received my bottle of Coromandel (another risky blind buy) and ... oh my!

At first, I wasn't sure... the opening is harsh, which I think might be due to the bitter orange in the top notes. But after 10 minutes, the patchouli comes through in the most creamy, luxurious way. It is so divine, beyond elegant. This is pure fragrance indulgence. Luxury in its truest form. A deliciously complex fragrance.

The lasting power is incredible. I sprayed this on my chest around 5pm and when I woke up the next morning around 5:45am, I could still smell the creamy white chocolate notes! I was so taken aback considering this is an EDT and it has better staying power than most EDPs I own.

This is definitely not an every day fragrance. I can see myself wearing this with a gorgeous black dress, sky-high heels, and red lips. This is the perfect fragrance for special occasions and events or an intimate, romantic evening with expensive lingerie, wine, and desserts.

My husband really likes it. He feels it would better suit a more mature woman, perhaps in her late 30s or early 40s (I'm almost 29). However, I feel if I stick to wearing this at more glamorous occasions, I could pull it off when dressed up. Jeans and a t-shirt? No way. Perhaps a more mature woman could pull it off in casual clothes, but why would she? Everything about Coromandel screams sophistication and commands elegance.

Délicieux
Délicieux

This is what I would imagine the Taj Mahal to smell like. I put some on today after receiving my Surrender to Chance sample, and suddenly I'm transformed into an exotic, eastern princess (or so I'd like to think!). The incense is a heady concoction, but not overpowering or cloying. This is thoroughly addictive. Darn it...I think I'm going to have to get it. Oh, and now that I've had it on for a bit I might be detecting the white chocolate note. I can't stop smelling my wrist. Always a good sign!

Vivala
Vivala

As I'm applying Coromandel, I feel as if I'm sneaking a dab of men's fragrance. But it quickly transmogrifies into something extremely feminine and beautiful. I seem to enjoy scents that strike me as dark, intense, and formal (no matter what I'm wearing). . . fragrances that do not go unnoticed. Coromandel is lighter and more transparent, and a perfect day fragrance for me - elegant, but not intimidating.

ranchorita
ranchorita

I ordered a small sample of Coromandel and I am so pleased I did. This fragrance starts off rich and is glowingly brilliant on me throughout the day. Coromandel never smells anything but rich and refined, and I admire any person with the panache and verve to choose this fragrance and carry it off. I scooped dirty clothes out of a basket and the blouse I'd worn with this fragrance still smelled fresh and radiant. This perfume is a glory and I will obtain the full size bottle soon, and I expect to keep this fragrance in my wardrobe and in heavy rotation for the rest of my life. This-- along with two other opulent niche fragrances-- is the embodiment of an ideal perfume to me. I highly recommend this fragrance.

Update - I bought 2 samples of this first, and when I purchased my full bottle, I did the sensible, thrifty thing and purchased the 250mL. Good thing, too, because this is the bottle for which I reach most often. At last I have found true love.

Redpula
Redpula

The review of the guest below was mine. Here is the edited one.

If L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme would have a unisex version, Chanel Coromandel would be it. Well just for the sake of having a much more unisex to feminine side of LIDGE. They are not exactly the same scent but with my 5 sprays including 1 on my shirt, LIDGE immediately popped up to my mind.

Don't get me wrong but Coromandel is an outstanding balmy, slightly smoky and warm spicy gem. I would rather pick Coromandel over LIDGE when in a situation to select only one. That is if I would base it on scent quality.

Yes it is unisex and it has the feel of LIDGE right after the application and a minute after, Prada Amber and Prada L'Eau Ambree vibes comes out. But Coromandel is spicier and more impressive.

My 5 sprays induced a slight headache on me but surprisingly not too powerful in projection. Coromandel is a little more on the quiet side of perfumes but careful not to spray more than four on closer to the nose areas. It is better to keep it within 3-4 sprays, on different upper body areas. Two on both sides of the neck and one on clothes or two on both arms, one at the center of neck and one at the nape.

The rose and incense are there, a light support I should say. To my skin, the emphasis of this fragrance relied more on patchouli, amber and benzoin. Some cocoa or vanilla aroma is coming out, maybe due to the mix of amber and patchouli or there must be some cocoa or vanilla here. No almonds nor nutmeg to my nose. In less than an hour after, woods slowly manifesting, balmy stays, spice getting much less.

The vibe with LIDGE base is beginning to show up again and another beautiful perfume comes to remind me in the base of this wonderful Coromandel, that is the base of L'Occitane Vetyver.

Coromandel is a remarkable mix feel of what is out there in the market scent. It is oriental but not too sweet, lovelier to wear on cold evenings. More on feminine from start to heart (first two hours)then the base leaned more to the masculine. But quiet as this is, never spray more than four.

Longevity is about 6 to 10 hours. Enjoy the beautiful base of woods an hour or so after spraying.

Definitely another gem from Chanel.

Highly recommended. 9/10

Don't get me wrong but Coromandel is an outstanding balmy, slightly smoky and warm spicy gem that surely would earn compliments and pleasing to the nose. I would rather pick Coromandel over LIDGE when in a situation to select only one. That is if I would based it on scent quality.

Yes it is unisex and it has the feel of LIDGE right after the sprays and a minute after, Prada Amber and Prada L'Eau Ambree vibes comes out.

Coromandel is a little more on the quiet side of perfumes but careful not to spray more than four on neck to nape areas. It is better to keep it within 3-4 sprays. Two on both sides of the neck and one on clothes or two on both arms or one at the nape.

The rose and incense are there, a light support I should say. To my skin, the emphasis of this fragrance relied more on patchouli, amber and benzoin. Some cocoa or vanilla aroma is coming out, maybe due to the mix of amber and patchouli or there must be some cocoa or vanilla here. No almonds nor nutmeg to my nose. In less than an hour after, woods manifested and yes, the similarity with LIDGE base is beginning to show up again and another beautiful perfume comes to remind me in the base of this wonderful Coromandel, that is the base of L'Occitane Vetyver.

Coromandel is a remarkable mix feel of what is out there in the market scent. It is oriental but not too sweet, lovelier to wear on cold evenings. More on feminine from start to heart (first two hours)then the base leaned more to the masculine. But quiet as this is, never spray more than 4 especially on areas that your nose would directly smell them because it may cause nausea/headache.

The compositions and transformations of notes are well done. It is I may say informal to formal occasion wearing and the potential to earn great compliments is very possible provided you are being smelled up close. Is it a sensual fragrance? Yes. Is it a full bottle worthy? Oh yes. Longevity is about 6 to 10 hours. Enjoy the beautiful base of woods 4 hours after spraying.
It is definitely another gem from Chanel.

Highly recommended.

Eos
Eos

I've never understood what olfactory similarity there is between patchouli and chocolate, so I was very anxious to get my hands on Coromandel to find out what people were talking about. That mystery has yet to be solved. I smell no chocolate here: white, milk or dark.

Mostly what I smell is a benzoin-incense-patchouli scent, in the same general olfactory neighborhood as Prada Amber line. That being said, they are certainly not twins. Coromandel is smoother and rounder than Prada, but also less edgy. Even though Prada was my signature for several years, I think I prefer Coromandel for its radiant plushness and it has taken Prada's place in my wardrobe.

Overall I would call Coromandel comfortable, bohemian and chic.

An important note for gourmand enthusiasts: this is not a gourmand despite some of the reviews below.

Mistawho
Mistawho

Coromandel is a very nice patchouli-benzoin powerhouse. It almost goes too sweet but the patch keeps it grounded. This one is going to generate it's share of complements from both sexes no matter the sex of the one blessed to be wearing it.

aveilhe
aveilhe

1920's Paris. 2:11 AM. A lithe beauty changes into a silky red kimono behind a Japanese lacquered screen. Incense burns in a painted clay pot on her nightstand. She is elegance embodied: tight pin curls, precisely painted lips, and pale skin. She moves from behind the screen and sits at her vanity, loosens her curls with an ivory comb, and glances down at a delicate wooden box tied with a ribbon -- a gift from an admirer. She opens it slowly, revealing the precious objects inside. The box reveals neither gold nor diamonds but small squares of the the most delicate, creamy white chocolate. Her favorite...her weakness. How did he know? She smiles wryly, picks up one of the candies with her slender fingers, and closes her eyes with anticipation before lifting it to her mouth.

********************************

Utterly intoxicating incense notes meld seamlessly with earthy, rich patchouli, exotic resins, and woods. The vanilla, white chocolate, and benzoin notes are powdery and smoky, rather than sweet or syrupy.

Coromandel leans toward the masculine end of the spectrum, but it makes a perfect nighttime scent for women, as well (preferably a woman in touch with her inner femme fatale) -- it's seductive, powerful, and oh-so-potent. A little goes a very long way...and lingers for hours.

Disa_17
Disa_17

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel

Thank you Monsieur Jacques Polge.

Ms Chanel may have felt faint at the sight of the exotic, magnificent Chinese 12-fold Coromandel lacquered screens. I, however, lapse into an erotic mood swing when I apply this aphrodisiac. Just thinking about this fragrance makes me pulse. This fragrance uses its seduction with its most sensuous, sophisticated, superior ability. The pachouli dances the Dance of the Seven Veils before subtly seducing the incense, citruses, jasmine, pear, orris, Benzoin, rose, vanilla into an olfactory orgy.

No cold shower for me. I just want to immerse myself in this wondrous fragrance for hours, emerging stimulated and refreshed.

Amen.

dbrii24
dbrii24

This is gold! Coromandel does not disappoint. This is one of the most sensual and gorgeous fragrances that I have ever sniffed. Coromandel is earthy, stylish and sensual. Think hippie chic. Dirty patchouli is cleaned up quite a bit by comfy vanilla, seductive incense and amber; but not enough so that it loses it's earthiness. The opening reminds me of Prada Amber but it soon subsides to its own intoxicating composition. It becomes powdery and the sensual mask begins to unveil itself. There really is no way to truly explain the magic of Coromandel. It must be tried.

oona noir

I take back my earlier review: Coromandel is absolutely my thing! It has all the sexiness and edge of a Guerlain or Lutens with all the elegance and understatement of a Chanel. That's a tough balance to pull off, but Coromandel does it.
What does it lack? Originality, perhaps. At first whiff, you will have smelled perfumes similar to this. At various times, it has reminded me of Shalimar or Flowerbomb or TM Angel. And it makes me horny the way CK Obsession does. So the lesson here? Don't let the "I've smelled this before" feeling get in the way of exploring Coromandel. It has a lot to offer.

LaLaPop75
LaLaPop75

I have never had a signature scent..until now. I have owned and smelled hundreds of perfumes. This particular one melds into me. I am a patchouli lover, and I looove this perfume. It's like having an aura....a beautiful aura of patchouli and incense and white chocolate surrounding me. Men love this perfume. Just recently I had a job interview. Every guy in the department walked into the room I was in and said.."It smells so good in here." One of the guys told me to come back because I smelled so good. I had not realized the impact it had on men until that day. It is so perfect....

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Patchouli is an intriguing note, can be earthy, camphor, dry, woody so passionately love!
Coromandel enhances even more so, with a mix of incense and notes sweetened by vanilla and benzoin, and along with it an accurate drying woody notes, is actually an asset and the second best of the exclusive line of Chanel.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I love patchouli and was so looking forward to smelling this. I left the covent garden store feeling a little ho hum about all of the les exclusifs, my socks still attached to my feet rather than being blown off. This is a powdery, lovely and wearable dusty patchouli but is very similar to my les neriedes (half the price) patchouli antique. Yes, coromandel is slightly more romantic and less 'cool' earthy but I really think that unless you have no other patchouli in your wardrobe, this is not an indespensible scent. None of the line had quite the punch or intensity that I expected for the price, either.

silagelover
silagelover

Sprayed this on at holt renfrew, it was between this and 31 rue cambon and the sales associate was trying to sway me toward coromandel. Starting out these two are slightly similar, but I noticed right away with coromandel there was a citrus top note probably the bitter orange that just didn't sit well. I proceeded to purchase 31 and headed out to do some more shopping. By the time I got home it had dried down to a really nice spicy incensy warm oriental. I might give this one another try, it's a really nice complex, high quality scent.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Found these at Holt Renfrew during our annual family trek to downtown Vancouver after Christmas. Having spent my perfume fund, I was so sad to have left without buying anything in the Les Exclusifs.

Coromandel gives me patchouli, woods and incense. It is musty and earthy. It is powdery and soft like the softest cashmere. There are hints of floral but it is more about patchouli to me. Perfect composition for a woman who does not use sweetness to stand out. It is for a strong woman who is at the same time, soft-spoken. Unlike Prada Intense which I do not like for its dominating patchouli, Coromandel is wearable patchouli. The best part for me is that the citrus notes are almost non-existent. I would wear this just for me as I find it a little bit assertive. I prefer Cuir de Russie as it seems more rounded than Coromandel. Would buy 31 Rue Cambon, Cuir de Russie and No.22.

One spray on me:
Sillage: close to skin
Longevity: about 4-6 hours
Price: Holt Renfrew 75ml C$145

ChloeYellow
ChloeYellow

When I tried the first time, I immediately fell in love. The smell of patchouli spread in the air. Then slowly settles. Powdery, vanilla and white chocolate then blend into one. It was like magic. Makes me want to smell all the time. Durable enough

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Chanel's Coromandel is as melodious and soft as sweet music.

A swift and citrus allegro opening of orange and neroli quickly negotiates into a second movement mostly played andante.

Here sweeping string section notes of vanilla, benzoin and incense are prevented from becoming sickly by brief interludes of a pizzicato patchouli, an accord that will eventually form part of a honeyed harmony.

And whilst in dry down this smells more of white hot chocolate than anything else, the quality of the ingredients, a strong backbone of hardwood and the skill of the their blending ensures that this is more refined music emporium than corner shop or candy store.

Unisex? Undoubtedly. Wearable? Absolutely. Sparingly. On high days and holidays to make up for a warmth that the weather lacks.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I find myself liking Coromandel a bit more than 31 Rue Cambon, for all the wrong reasons. I went into this one thinking I'd hate it, but was greeted by a pleasant spiced benzoin accord, semi-sweet and not too loud, followed by a patchouli cloud. There's a mysterious herbal component lurking deep in the sugary haze of Coromandel, redolent of Zino-style lavender, bright but shy. The woodsy notes add zest and keep things from getting too makeup puffy. After a couple of hours there's a chocolately woody amber that runs at a good clip with strident patchouli and benzoin notes, holding this perfume's soft oriental vibe steady.

Coromandel is utterly unisex and a very good oriental, but as with 31 Rue Cambon, I feel the quality of ingredients is just so-so. The composition will speak to you, but don't expect any of the aroma chemicals to knock your socks off. This feels more like the tippy-top shelf of designer than the lowest dregs of niche. But nevertheless, I really like this fragrance, and if I had the money to burn, I could see myself buying a bottle. As it stands, I'll continue holding this oriental to the standard-bearer of masculine orientals for note clarity and quality: Old Spice. Find me one that can match the ten-second burst of realistic spiced orange in Old Spice's top accord, tell me it'll last twenty times as long without smelling chemical and flat, and I'll get back to you.

fuggerone
fuggerone

rich, classy a bit overpriced, drydown disappointing to me, unisex but more on the female side!
I'm a man!

misschic
misschic

I absolutely love this smell. I got a tester a few months ago and instantly fell for it. Recently though, someone got me as a gift the Halle Berry "Halle" set and to me surprise, it smells EXACTLY like Coromandel, at least on me. I am not a huge proponent of celebrity fragrances but it was a nice surprise.

braindead83
braindead83

I have owned this fragrance for around 3 months, and cannot imagine enough occasions for which to wear this. I love it. This is a beautiful fragrance from start to finish.

It is definitey a UNISEX scent, as the Chanel retail assosciate at Bloomingdales told me the sales to men and women are about equal on this one. Aside from that factor, this does not destinguish itself as either a direct female or male scent. It is simply pleasant.

You must smell this. Really give it a few good whiffs and take it all in. Wait for it to start to fade into the different layers of enjoyment and mystery.
Although initially very straightforward it is woody and spicy, it softens up and is in my opinion a very soft and light fragrance towards the end of it's life on the skin.

I had to have this fragrance, and will be going back to sample more of the Les Exclusifs line by Chanel.

Ouch!
Ouch!

AMEN SISTAH!!!! *takes shoes off and takes earrings out*

THIS...is what I'm talking about. To me..this is the epitome of Chanel fragrances. It takes everything I've smelled before from Chanel which is "classic" "classy" "refined" "swoonworthy" and then goes that one bit further and sprinkles that extra fairy dust of class when when you least expect it!

So...it's woodsy, it's gourmand...it's dripping with golden benzion and vanilla, the woods are creamy..it's multi faceted and one of those smells that gives your olfactory senses a smell-gasm.

Sheesh...the main feel of this is a sweet woodsy perfume, it's gourmand that;s been rubbed up against tree bark in a loving way,. but it has Chanel stamped allll over it. This is truly a special occasion perfume and I think for once I can say it's worth the money. The quality is not scrimped here..

I just think I'm going to have to come back when I'm not so intoxicated by the components and disect them properly..

For now..I will say..it smells like the most luxurious woodsy gourmand you can think of slathered with Chanel glamour and magic!

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

I seek woods in all of my fragrances but this one really got it right. Uplifting, deep, rich, exquisite woodiness right from the jump. There may be a faint smell of sweet citrus at the beginning but my nose zooms straight in on the woods. This fragrance is very unique in the sense that it reminds me of nothing else. I could easily place this in my top 5 most beloved fragrances. It appears that my beloved Tom Fords are getting pushed even farther down my list of most loved.

daniela3
daniela3

Nomen omen! That's all. The same sharpness of 'lacquered screens' is similar to the opening of this unexpected jewell by Maison Chanel. I haven't smelled it before but when my Dear One gave it to me, as a present, wishing me a soon recovery. I think it's starting working indeed!, as I can get in the opening (for me this is not the kindest one!) patchouli, a note that I would never expect from Chanel, especially at the beginning! But I must say that I'm not a 'Chanel-like' person so... I must also add that Coromandel, for me, is not a Chanel-like fragrance too....
A good amount of incense and bitter oranges help to take company to the ensemble. Later, some other notes appear: woods, resins while patchouli is still well remarkable (I'm talking of the effects on MY skin) After 45 minutes, a little change: the frag seems to evolve into a powdery, soft caressing experience!, this is what I normally finish to like, to love, to search in every frag!, when benzoin, amber and myrrh (yes or no?) a hint of chocolate too, make their appearance and settle down. Beautiful!
I'm reviewing the E d. T., for that I believe that its duration is quite good.
Sillage discreet being it a sophisticate, elegant frag, it cannot be a 'bang' one.

I cannot detect my beloved 'roses', may be my nose is still 'on strike'!!(??)

ION
ION

Coromandel, is very subtle and elegant. Persistent but well mannered, as well. The press release does say something about Chinese art and I must admit this is a very sweet & sour smell but with a French finesse.
It does remind one of Lutens perfume line a bit and also some people might find that it upsets their stomach, so, try before you buy.
For the pronounced ingredients read below; the patchouli is well disguised and sober, the woody/amber accord with hints of musk binds everything together and the benzoin/incense/vanilla combination gives it character.
Still, I would prefer it less balanced and slightly more risky, one step further onto the sweetness, gourmand or powdery territory would be most welcome.
Not a love at first smell, but it grows on you..

ps. 1. I wore it once and received an instant compliment. Nevertheless, this is a feminine perfume, make no mistake.
2. this review wouldn't be possible without my friend Kosmoskukka who supplied me with a sample.

perfumebox
perfumebox

Right from the get-go, there's the Guerlinade accord. Like Shalimar after it dries down, when the citrus has softened and you're left with a complex, buttery vanilla-smoke tinged with soft florals. Then as it develops, it starts to take on that subtle multi-faceted "Christopher Sheldrake for Serge Lutens" bend, combining resiny, mossy, smoky, creamy, dark, and soft altogether into one.

This contains patchouli, but Sheldrake has relegated it to the backseat. Definitely don't be scared off if you dislike patchouli-dominant scents. This is also not a typical heavy, sweet, gourmand scent despite the vanilla.

If you threw a dollop of vanilla-cream into a cup of freshly-brewed, unsweetened Earl Grey tea, and took a deep breath, I imagine you would smell something like this. Smoky, herbaceous and gently bitter, with just a touch of cream and spice, plus that quiet dash of aromatic citrus.

Only problem? This is harder to find, and so expensive for an EDT. (Luckily, it lasts and projects more like an EDP.)

natalia.morozova
natalia.morozova

If i was asked to discribe true beauty by only one fragrance, I would have chosen Coromandel. It is so chic, so expensive in essence, that immediately makes the one who wears it a lady or a gentleman. But this is a burden you should be prepared to carry. Noblesse oblige. It sits charming on male skin. Very decent substence.

onesexygrammy
onesexygrammy

One of very few fragrances that agrees with my chemistry!The amber, spice and patchouli work so well together in this fragrance. There is a subtle sweetness, just enough to take the edge off the spice note. While it is sensual enough for evening, It is too lovely to reserve strictly for special occasions. I have found myself applying it any given day, at any given time. Love the fragrance, hate the exorbitant price! My search for my new signature scent continues......

EnPassant
EnPassant

Oh my God!!! I surrender myself.

This is the most perfect and delicious perfume in the world... Longevity, projection , sillage... everything´s terrific in this one. Of course, became one of my favorites.

It´s an "earthy oriental gourmand"... I love the gourmand category and I have to tell that the "sweet-candy" in Coromandel is marvelously impossible to be described... That´s what intrigues me... That´s where my passion lies...

What a nice surprise Chanel gave us... No doubt the best from the exquisites Exclusifs!!!

Masterpiece!

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

I have read many of the reviews here on this lovely Chanel. I agree with its most scrumptious flavors that waft under my nose in a velvet gourmand extacy!
BUT! I am sad that this only comes in a toilette version. AS a Gourmand junky....I need that sumptious smell to be smouldering hot for more than the one hour that I receive! It lasts longer of course...and especially on clothing....but the best part of the ride is gone to quick! Please....Please.....make an Eau de Parfume!!!! I see why it comes in a 200ml....but I do not believe Chanel should be a body spray!

EDIT!!!!! *****************I do declare!
It just goes to show you...some days are better than others. I have tested this on three different days. For me personally...it seems it wears much deeper, intense and longer on a very warm day. But I could be just having an off sniffer day. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING SCENTS!!!! Completely delicious!!!! Now debating over which size I desire ;)

tiffingirl
tiffingirl

The most wearable patchouli fragrance that I own. Beats Montale Patchouli Leaves and SL Borneo hands down. Sweet and comforting, perhaps the most "gourmand" of all the Chanel perfumes, a House that I associate with aloof sophistication rather than comfort and sweetness. Yet Coromandel marries Chanel sophistication and elegance with coziness and comfort: the image of a pair of delicately embroidered soft cashmere slippers comes to mind. The Guide likens to Coromandel to "powdered white chocolate" - a description which fits perfectly. Did I say that I adore this scent?

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

One day of a full wearing :

I sampled this three times before I purchased it. The first time it came across as a very spicy patchouli fragrance similar to Guerlain Heritage and somewhat off putting. The second time it smelled similar but a tad sweeter. Add patchouli dirt and heavy spices and Vanilla ( YSL Opium esq.)

My most recent sampling of it blew me away. Why ? Spicey/Patchouli opening add dirt but THEN a total about face in the drydown...Vanilla Amber and Chocolate notes that waft in and out. I dare to say gourmand but it's true....I am wearing a gourmand BUT this is a totally different one than others on the market. This is a VERY unique play on gourmand because Chanel added that classic chanel "old world" smell to it. The notes don't blend well in theory but they work so well together in coromandel. It is very well constructed and so well balanced.

Still playing around with this but I find the sillage and longevity to be ideal. I can't say the same for the other Les Esclusifs offerings. You will have no doubt that you are wearing a fragrance.

I have a hunch that my impressions of it will change as the days go by. This one is really mysterious . It wouldn't be fair to classify it under one banner..let it do it's thing and enjoy the ride.

Unisex "yes". I agree with past reviews that it will react differently on different types of skin. It is one of those "constantly developing" fragrances. As a guy the sweetness of the chocolate makes me feel a little uncomfortable but it isn't cloying. I think I can get used to it. After all I have used vanilla based fragrances for years with no issues. Time for a little chocolate perhaps.

Very sexy and very sensual. My ideal Les Esclusifs would be a heavy duty Cuir De Russie at an affordable price. However coromandel will work for now.

smcandsmc
smcandsmc

I too get a little soil note, and I also love it. Would love more-- I would say that maybe I could find something to layer, but it seems sacrilegious to suggested tampering with one of the Exclusifs line. Less smoky than I like, but still, so rich and gorgeous, intoxicating. It won't replace Sycomore in my heart, but it sits close to her.

HazelMae
HazelMae

I have to agree with a couple of the other reviews - this fragrance does have a very subtle potting soil note for the first hour. For me, this is the twist that keeps this fragrance interesting! I think this is basically a patchouli bomb that was civilized by the sweetness of amber. I think it is wise to be careful with application unless you definitely want to get a reaction.

This is something I'd have to be in a certain mood for, and then it is perfect. The chocolate is almost on the edge of where that type of note is too food-y for me. It may be the sweetest perfume in my collection so far.

I am one of those people that segregates fragrances by season and I think I could probably no more wear this on a hot day than I could wear a cashmere sweater.

dalmajen
dalmajen

Just got this sample today! (Thank you, again Emily7) Well, I must admit, I think its fantastic! After my disappointment in Chanel 5, which I just can't wear) I thought I would never find a Chanel that would make me say WOW. It must be the incense that makes, it so unusual, and interesting. For the relatively small amount of notes, it seems more complex somehow. I am sniffing it now, and it doesn't come across as very sweet. I will have to wait for the total dry down though, to really see if I would purchase a FB. I have a feeling it may be one that will last on the skin, which is a plus for me, as so many of the fragrances I love, don't have the staying power I would like to have. Still will have to test this further, as want so much to love it!

spirit966
spirit966

Super long lasting juice, then again, anything with a strong patchouli note does also.

Not really fond of the opening, its a bit of a cherry, almond smell which I find a bit off putting. The amber here is very nice and reminds me of Eau Lente from Diptyque (just texture not smell), may be its the incense and benzoin/opoponax doing tricks.

Dries down to a creamy, almondy, white chocolate sensation,and yes, this is like Amen white chocolate edition you can say, but less sweet.

Interesting fragrance, its a like but not a love as I don't find it compelling or challenging enough and the opening wasn't that appealing to me. Its an oriental that its warming or caressing and comforting enough for me and a bit too much patchouli.

fumehead
fumehead

When I smell this I’m reminded of the smell of bad breath, there is a woman at my work who has chronic halitosis and a fondness for eating chocolate chip cookies, that’s what Coromandel smells like! Sometimes this smells quite nice, powdery, chocolaty and soft oriental and I crave it, but on others, particularly in its sillage, all I get is that dreaded bad breath stench. This is confusing for me as I usually can pin down the very essence of a perfume, I bought this for £100 last September but it just seems like my ridiculously overpriced & regretted purchase, I really wish I had sampled this before buying.
Coromandel was described by Luca Turin as ‘powdered white chocolate’; I don’t think I can do a better summary.

Jasminehead
Jasminehead

This was a blind buy for me, while I still think Bois de Iles would have been a better choice for me.. I;m now finding myself in love with Coromandel. Initially it was a bit too masqueline on me. But then when i smelled it on my male friend, I thought I could soo pull this off.

It definently has that common Chanel quality but the smell is not common it almost... almost smells like candy! Be it the most mature gourmet delicasy kind of candy, it definently has that yummy factor. This mixed with the woods deicdant amber and the smokey insence is about as sexy as a perfume/cologne can get

And the staying power is absolutely fantastic for an edt, and by todays standards it's even fabulous compared to many edps

I will agree with the below comment. This is definently not a casual scent. After re claiming my Coromandel I donced myself in it and loved every moment, but I couldn't help and feel like it was too nice to wear with my current attire which was jeans and a sweat shirt.lol It just didn't fit the picture, lol.

Also it is balmy / close to the skin, but the first few hours there is a prety strong sillage.. it's only after than that it becomes more personal. which is really how I like my perfume.. to start off strong and a decent sillage so that the drydown is still very much there just more on an intimate level

The spices remind me slightly of yves saint laurent 'nu' only softer and slightly candied, they are not over done it's just a perfect level Really a masterpiece I cant pick out anything that I think needs to be changed. For me that's big every perfume I buy i pick something out that's wrong with it and begin the tweeking process. With Coromandel I have absolutely no desire to ''tweek'' at all LOL

Dont mess with perfection!

And yes I now feel it's highly unisex, perfectly suitible for a male or female

I wasn't going to admit it , but what the hell. I was actually moments away from giving my whole 200 ml bottle away. Not thinking much of it, he sprayed some on himself and loved it, i payed little attentin. About an hour later I walked by him, and smelled it and well... that was reposessed by me in under two minutes flat! x)) my friend was not happy with me one bit! lol

kkoun
kkoun

I absolutely love this fragrance. It's sweet, smoky, elegant and very well blended perfume. Incense note plays in the background and then shows up, this way it continues the life of the fragrance. Benzoin adds in a subtle sweet composition. I get a bit of cardamon and patchouli that keeps it grounded and along with woodsy notes it's very earthy. The longevity is quite strong for an EDT. I almost get through the day with 3-4 sprays. The price is reasonable as well $110 for 2.5fl oz and $210 for 6.8fl oz. It's a must have for a great fragrance collection of all time.
There are days when I don't put it on but keep sniffing it in a bottle.
My perfume wardrobe will never be without Chanel Coromandel.
Note: It's being compared to Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme Eau Extreme & other sweet fragrances but Coromandel has CHANEL's elegance and Smoky incense note that makes this far superior than the rest.
Verdict: 10/10

Fizzy
Fizzy

This is a good quality perfume for a fine lady. An elegant clothing is a must have.
I smell almond and vanilla in it. But this one, is something else than others.
The almond and vanilla are NO SWEET at all! Super silage, longevity about 5 hours on me. Chanel would make a big deal, to put the old Coco and the old No 5
and No 19 and how they all call them out from the counters for a while and offer this one instead! Do not understand me wrong, I had them all once, they are really pretty too, but it is still the same. Some change would be refreshing.
Thank you lovely kosmoskukka for your sample!

iivanita
iivanita

To me this smells so much like burboun vanilla sugar that i put in cakes:-) i love it though. Am curious about longevity on my skin but i think its among my least beloved from les exclusifs

kassinator
kassinator

By far my favorite Chanel. A rich blend of amber and patchouli. Neither note are enough to offend, but both are artfully executed. The incense provides a smokey base which gives this one some depth. The notes above are missing something... maybe a soft vanilla. There is definitely a slight sweet note at the bottom that is holding everything together. Beautiful!

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

A well blended perfume. Strong but not agressive.I could smell a lot of patchouli and a little bit of benzoin and once in a while, a hint of incense. It's kind of sour and musky on my skin. I have no complaint at all because I adore patchouli. A must try for patchouli fans.

girasolina
girasolina

An elegant bouquet that fit well, for me with patchouli, amber and no one of them is stronger than the other.
I also hear the notes but they certainly are cedar wooded fool me.
Exclusive? There are various imitations. I agree with ALFAROME, is not the best collection of Chanel.
good Sillage

Christy2198
Christy2198

I am looking for a scent that not everyone in my circle will be wearing. I come from a very small town where everyone lives in bath and body works and macys brands like euphoria or coco M. And while I do admit that I have been wearing Coco M a lot lately, I crave new and exciting fragrances. I think this just may be it. I find that it has a spicyness to it that reminds me of my burberry brit red which I wore for years until I found that it was discontinued. I have decided that if I cant order it from the fragance house online or a store such as Saks then I dont want it. No more Ebay for me!
This may just be the perfume for me. I know I can buy it off the Chanel site and although it will take a bit to get here, it will be worth the wait!

LaBoheme84
LaBoheme84

The main (only) notes that my nose picks up from Coromandel are benzoin and patchouli. The first time I tried this on, from a small sample, I got this heavy "dirt" feeling from it, though, probably from the patchouli. It was frustrating because in all other aspects I loved it - but I just couldn't get over this "soil" scent.

However, every time since then that I have tried it, I get nothing of that, just maybe some slightly earthy tone in the background every now and then, which I am perfectly fine with. I have no idea why it's so different - was there something on my skin the first time I tried it? Whatever the case, now I'm in love. This is the quintessential fall fragrance. I want to wear this while walking among fallen leaves while wearing a thick scarf. Badly.

I'm thinking of recreating something like this with essential oils and benzoin. If you've ever smelled pure benzoin, you know that this fragrance has a lot of it - it's a sweet and resinous scent. I never before thought of it as something you would use a lot of in a fragrance, but Coromandel has changed my view of what a perfume can be like. It's wonderful.

I'm not a huge fan of the kind of base in this fragrance, and it reminded me too much of the original Prada perfume. I liked Luca Turin's idea that this one is like powdered white chocolate, but for me that's more of a impression. I do like the opening, but after an hour or so it's just too much like the Prada and not to my tastes. Interestingly, there is a fragrance that does do what I was hoping Coromandel would do. It's Patchouli Plaisir by Molinard, and I obtained a bottle in a swap. I had no idea what it smelled like, but I was willing to do the swap because I didn't give up much and didn't like that fragrance anyway (an Yves Rocher, low-end one). It's so funny how you can come across a fragrance that you really like by just getting lucky. I guess "you have to be in it to win it" as the lottery people say. I'll likely keep swapping fragrances, though lottery tickets aren't my thing.

UPDATE: If you want a more "masculine" version of this kind of idea, try The One Gentleman. I prefer that one to Coromandel, though not due to any "gender" issue.

Bab
Bab

Love at first sniff. Rich and ambery at the start which morphs into a wonderful hay scent. Then comes incense/clove and dusty patchouli....then finally, a wonderful sweet powdery chocolate scent with just a dash of that ambery hay lingering. An incredible fragrance.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Coromandel is my go-to comfort scent. I would classify it as a milky-oriental, with its creamy vanilla-chocolate notes, soft spice, and warm woods. It's like curling up wrapped in a golden-brown cashmere wrap on an antique velvet mahogany couch, sipping a creamy spicy chai while watching your favorite movie.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Memories of wearing Obsession as a teenager came flooding back to me when I tried Coromandel. I experienced the same amber-induced uplighting scent swiftly followed by the harsh taste in the back of the throat that amber perfumes always leave me with. I see this as Obession's lighter, more elegant cousin, as the amber eventual gives way to a slightly smoky clean smell scent. Unfortunately I can't tolerate the initially strong amber note, otherwise I would have loved to have added this to my collection as a daytime scent. Low to moderate sillage and decent longevity (a good few hours).

Lini Darling
Lini Darling

When you are young everything on your mother's vanity table is magic. Though I am older now, this particular perfume hasn't lost any of its magic.

Something about this perfume makes me wish I was married so that I could share this scent with a man all night long! (I know! I just made myself blush too! ... But it's the truth!)

I've noticed that men enjoy smelling it on me during conversation but I wouldn't at all mind smelling this on a man.

Its powdery notes make its smell feminine while
its musky notes scream pure virile power.

This very full fragrance is voluptuous, sensual, and romantic. It lasts for days..and melds with a person's unique chemistry beautifully.

Yay, for Coco!!

~~ Though I love this scent - because of its androgynous nature I will not wear it often.`~

- Lini Darling

Scarlette
Scarlette

Fantastic. A touch masculine at first, but becomes a part of you. Deep, dark,rich, smokey, chocolately, resinous-woody that lasts 8 hours....

Love it. Great for a man, or a woman with a lot of character & depth. Or a woman in a man's world....in my Top 3 Chanels, along with Coco EDP & Bois des Iles.

Truly one of a kind....I have smelt nothing like it. Very soothing. Feels like snuggling up on a chocolate brown leather sofa to smoke some cherry cavendish pipe tobacco, have a spiced rum, and listen to your most satisfying music.

JubeiSpiegel
JubeiSpiegel

This fragrance took me to a place I have wonderful memories of. Reminiscent of Ice Wine, my favorite dessert wine. Just fantastic...

If you happen to smell Coromoandel for the first time and you don't know it's from Chanel you'll be probably end up thinking it's from Guerlain or Serge Lutens. This fragrance sits somewhere next to Guerlain Homme Intense, L'instant Pour Homme Extreme and Heritage but at the same time it shows the unmistakeable hallmark of many of the Sheldrake's compositions made for Serge Lutens. A bold-sweet (almost gourmandic),-spicy oriental built around a consistent patchouli note.

An high quality composition that is a sure compliment getter, projects decently and has a tenacious lasting power (more than 12 hrs), but IMO it's not among the best and most successful releases in the Les Exclusif range. Don't get me wrong, Coromandel is a crowdpleaser and you'll probably won't be by any means disappointed, it's just that I like it but don't love it. Good rating, anyway.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I wanted so much to love this. It is definitely a woody fragrance, but woody as in fresh wood. It's creamy and sharp all at once. It's like this is the scent of actual coromandel, deep woody notes with the biting varnish over the top. This is a well made perfume, just not for me.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This is a strong fragrance with a note all its own. It’s supposed to be patchouli-based, but I don’t smell patchouli right away. Instead, I think I smell some spice, probably coriander, citrusy aldehydes, a dusting of light powder, and vanilla. In addition, there’s something odd I can’t put my finger on, possibly a note that emerges from the combination of several others. It verges on gourmand, but never completely goes there.

As it dries down there is a slight patchouli note, but it’s not a patchouli scent, either, it’s more a patchouli-vanilla. There’s lots of sillage, and it lasts all day on skin. I was surprised to still smell its sillage even after I had taken a shower, more than 12 hours after applying it, and could still smell it 24 hours later. This sounds overpowering, but it is not. Although amazingly tenacious, the scent always stays at a reasonable level.

Chanel is not always my thing, so I was surprised by how much I liked - no, loved - Coromandel. If you are a fan of well-made, classic perfumes but don’t care for overly floral and powdery scents, Coromandel is worth trying. It’s going into my regular rotation.

greydove
greydove

I love, love it! Its dry, woodsy, spicy and a little dusty, like an oak panelled room with beautiful, old furniture. I just want to live inside this smell!

shenanigans
shenanigans

To me this is a rainy afternoon on an old leather chair with your favorite book, a fire, and his favorite old shirt. And you feel like a million bucks. Just dreamy.

maknine ezzine
maknine ezzine

c'est l'ambergris dans le fond qui fait tout la differance!!!!!!
un parfum mix 100 pour 100

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Seemingly uncomplicated in its number of elements, yet a deep, well blended and harmonious fragrance.

Patchouli feels fresh on application then becomes the smell of parched, sundried wood embalmed in vanilla nuanced benzoin resin with a sweet infusion of incense; the fibrous wood scent permeating through all the while.

Despite being part of the Les Exclusifs line, Coromandel feels unpretentiously commanding and sophisticatedly simple without being simplistic in any way.

This feels like a barefoot walk on the coast of the Coromandel Peninsula of New Zealand, simply clad in raw, natural linen. Deep, easy serenity.

Lady Love
Lady Love

An amazingly complex fragrance.

Jicky and Coromadel share that peculiar quality of starting off with an almost medicinal note, very strong. But then Jicky continues with Lavander and Coromadel with Woody notes.

Coromadel is definitely fragrance with a huge personality and very unisex.

Angel10
Angel10

Coromandel is AMAZING!! Upon first sniff at Holt's, I thought it was too manly and bought the Bois des Iles that I love too. But I kept using my Coromandel sample, and used it up, and I cannot stop smelling the empty tester sample!! I just LOVE it! It is so complicated & intense, yet is still silky-smooth & calm. Smells like incense & inedible chocolate with a touch of sweet pipe tobacco to my nose. It could be used by a man, but I think that a voluptuous, sexy, sultry-voiced siren would be able to pull this off nicely. Jessica Rabbit wears this & Poison in my opinion. I will be buying this very soon! I might even go for the 200ml rather than the 75ml so I can bathe in it like I want to!!

Update: Have bought, and am bathing in it!

God, I love you.

UD: Found out my hubby doesn't love you. Sad, but I still adore you! I will wear you when he is not around!

candymarie

I just had to comment on dragonesque's breathtaking review below.

I haven't experienced this perfume yet, but I did so enjoy the passion and poetry with which dragonesque explains her love for this scent. Well done!

dragonesque
dragonesque

It’s been four days since I fell in love with Coromandel. This is a very rare occasion when it “clicked” at once between me and the scent. Coromandel meets me with a lot of burnt precious wood. As if I were standing in front of a burning old family mansion watching the fire to devour Viennese chairs, writing cabinets, antique pianos and clavecins. The vintage furniture, the old collection of pictures, the polished old parquet - greedy fire swallows everything. And then, when there is nothing left but the ashes, when I am standing silent and devastated, another scent appears from under the sweetish smoke fume - a fresh, moist, raw, earthy patchouli scent. Like epuration, like forgiveness, like a promise of a new life that is born from the dust. Catharsis.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Coromandel has been my biggest splurge EVER, the 200ml bottle & the $$$, but it is heaven in a bottle on me. One application from the little sample bottle and I knew I would want this fragrance forever. I agree (for once) with L. Turin's comparison to powdered white chocolate, and yes there is A LOT of patchouli. It is also very strong and long-lasting on me and one of the few perfumes I own that have actually made people ask what I'm wearing (in a good way I hope!) It is sweet, yes, but never cloying. I just simply love this gem.

I also have Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens and it is much darker, intense, bitter chocolate, almost unwearable because it smells so medicinal, good for if you are in a black mood and don't want anyone to come near you. A patchouli overdose. There is no sweetness at all.

oona noir

I got a very sexy (perfumey, not gourmand) powdery white chocolate. Sort of Chanel-does-Musc-Ravageur, as diorshowman said. It's well done, but chocolate is not generally my thing.

Delicious, exotic Coromandel. The most perfect sweet, creamy, resinous perfume imaginable. It starts out with strong patchouli, which adds a green mustiness. As the perfume continues to dry down, the patch fades somewhat, and the yummy resins take over. This is my favorite stage, as it is perfectly sweet, dreamy, and balmy, with a touch of powdery iris to prevent it from becoming too heavy. Thankfully it continues like this for many, many pleasurable hours! Coromandel is a longevity monster!! It's not until like 10 hours into the drydown that I start to smell spice, maybe cinnamon, and it reminds me of a cinnamon roll drizzled with icing. I wouldn't call Coromandel gourmand, but it conjures images of sweet, creamy, edibles.

I find this perfume to be quite alluring, and it's hard to explain why. It's elegant, dressy, but not over-the-top. Perfect for cocktails and a little black dress; not a ballgown.

diorshowman
diorshowman

At first whiff, Coromandel is very reminiscent of Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur-that anamalic assertive type of fragrance.I've also heard of this being compared to Serge Luten's Borneo 1834, but I havent gotten a chance to test Borneo out so I cant make that comparison. But as far as being similar to Musc Ravageur...Coromandel is darn close to MR. Think a toned down-ever-so-slighty version of MR, a more wearable version of MR. Upon first sampling it, I had expected this to be alot sweeter than it actually is, I mean Luca Turin described Coromandel as smelling like "powdered white chocolate." This is by no means a true gourmand like Angel Men or New Haarlem, it is more oriental with the vanilla not playing as a sweetener. If you liked Musc Ravageur, then Coromandel is a must try and Coromandel is cheaper too. $140 for MR for a 1.7ml whereas $110 for Coromandel for the 2.5 ml.

*PS. I know this is marketed towards women but to me this is very UNISEX.Being that this is so similar to Musc ravageur and Musc Ravageur is classified as a unisex...I dont see why CHANEL would market this for women.But then again, these are the same people that call Sycomore a woman's fragrance.

Longevity:B+
Projection:B
Uniqueness:B+
Versatility:B-
OVERALL: A

merilu59
merilu59

As soon as sprayed it turns out strange: rough, bitter, it has wrongfooted to me because it has not tried to seduce to me, indeed almost it has ignored me and it gone straight for its road, with citruses and incense to fairly divide between men and women.
But little after the patchouli a vellutata boscosità has begun to dull its angles diffusing and resinosa, feminine but with temperament, and that has captured my attention. I did not succeed to stop to smell to me.

After a half hour the scent has been still transformed, becoming ulteriorly polveroso and carezzevole, almost amber, with a benzoin end perhaps and fava tonka that it has lasted very over a long time span, for being a edt, with a sillage very discreet and of great class. You will understand that to this point I was completely its…

This scent has made to make a rich olfattivo travel, original me, unforeseeable, exciting. And entirety, has made to feel me beautiful and seduces, very centered to earth.

It was Katie Puckrik who had me wanting to try this fragrance. After watching her perfume collection videos on YouTube and hearing all about her love for incense-based scents, Chanel's Coromandel went straight to the top of my 'for test' list.

It took a while for me to discover my love for Coromandel. When first applied to the skin, it seemed to be very masculine and indeed very strong. The incense note was barely evident for the first ten minutes.

When I re-visited Coromandel, it reminded me of a stronger, more lasting and much more complex version of Allure Sensuelle.

After leaving the Chanel boutique I was quite certain that Chanel's Beige was my pick, however as I walked on through the crowd of people at the mall, I was enchanted by a deliciously smokey scent drifting up and around my nose.

Once settled into the heart, the magic of Coromandel can be truly felt. This is less sophisticated than other Chanel's I've tried. Coromandel makes me feel like a bad-girl; a little daring, merciless and wild.

Coromandel is earthy patchouli, rich ambery incense, exotic spices, syrupy vanilla and dusty woods. I would be game enough to call this fragrance sexy.

Some people mention chocolate as a note not listed here, and on second thoughts, there is a rather chocolatey accord hidden in there somewhere. However, don't expect Coromandel to be anything like Thierry Mugler's Angel.

The lasting strength is amazing. I had my wrist stuck to my nose until almost 3am. I think Coromandel excited me so much that I couldn't sleep.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I went out and read all the reviews on this before writing my own. i see most people like it, and I will not be disagreeing with them.

This is a nice smokey, benzoin tinged fragrance. Benzoin, to the unaware, wears a bit sweet, and this is what folks are referring to wiht their 'sweet' comments.

One thing that caught my eye was a review that this isn't selling well. I suspect I know why. As a piece of art this perfume is very lovely, but when placed in the Louvre it becomes forgetable. i'm assuming that smoky orientals are a genre most folks need one, two tops bottles of.

As an incense/benzoin i have Bois D'armenie, which is more complex than this. As a sweet woody i think Sonoma Scent's Winter Woods has the edge.

And so on for every aspect of this scent; and the high price tag doesn't help matters any. So in sum, a good fragrance when reviewed alone, an OK fragrance when held up to the competition.

parmania
parmania

Coromandel is a beautiful, patchouli fragrance - a must try for all patch lovers out there!This is my favorit!
!Обичам го!

solocha
solocha

Lovely spicy beginning and even more pretty patchouli/insence drydown that resembles that of Prada. Slightly gourmand , I think it gives out that comforting impression for a rainy weather.

Chanel COROMANDEL is a very strong and spicy elixir, on the order of CK EUPHORIA, believe it or not! Instead of champaca, here we have incense, applied very liberally, to the point where I felt that I was trapped in a tarot card reader's tent all day. Honestly, I was waiting for this stuff to fade away, looking forward with great anticipation to a hot bath.

But then, suddenly, something miraculous transpired: I find myself now ensconced in a beautiful, benzoin-rich, not overly spicy but still oriental drydown. Suddenly, five hours after application, I really like COROMANDEL!

The opening had the same sourness that I detected in a couple other of Les Exclusifs, which I really do not like. Added to the heavy-handed, in-your-face incense note, I was ready to toss the rest of my sample out. Now, however, I have decided that COROMANDEL requires extremely light application, so I'll have to try it again on another occasion before issuing my final verdict. (-;

tedi.simeonova
tedi.simeonova

I didn't expect to like it so much, 'cause I thought it would be too heavy and suffocating. It is simply incredible - smells so classy, expensive, sophisticated and most of all yummy, like a combination of white and dark chocolate, with a non-irritating sweetness. My husband absolutely adores it and often reminds me to wear it.

Catnip
Catnip

It’s been a long, wintry day in a busy city. You crave the comfort of a warm room, lit only by the flames dancing in the old-fashioned fireplace. You want something that is cozy and, yet, flavorful. Hot chocolate, anyone?

To me, Coromandel is the perfect cup of chocolate! This is not, however, the innocent, milk chocolate that is so popular with young children. Rather, it is the dark, 70%-cocoa chocolate—rich and aromatic. I would not describe Coromandel as a gourmand. There is a slightly bitter accord, pronounced particularly in the middle notes, that prevents it from being sweet. There is wood, too, emanating just a hint of something aloof in the middle. The base is velvety smooth. I am not entirely convinced by Turin and Sanchez’s comment that Coromandel reminds of white chocolate or powder. I don’t find Coromandel either white, or powdery. It is relatively dry, though not as dry and not as linear as Serge Lutens Borneo stays on my skin.

After a long search for the “ideal” patchouli that creates this wonderful illusion of a rich, dark chocolate, I think I have found it in Coromandel. Like another reviewer below, I don't see why this should be only a feminine fragrance. It could be great on a man, too.

Cassiano
Cassiano

This scent starts out a little bit oilly, with a soft aroma of amber, something between the medicinal and the creamy smells. Yet, it is very strong and pleasant.

Then, goes to a mix of vanilla + chocolate, which is typical from scents that have a touch of benzoin. It reminds me A LOT of L’instant (Guerlain) and its aroma of white chocolat with a hint of Rochas Lui. I would say that this one could be an ideal female version of L’instant.

Although its target is the women people, it could be perfectly shared, depending on the skin of the person who are wearing it, of course! I have already seen male fragrances more “female” than this one.

Its bottle is simple, however the fragrance is complex. The quality and the richness of this scent are spectacular.

Sultan
Sultan

the beautiful fragrance truely classified as one of Les Exclusives. at the beginning you may think that the big bottle is too much and carring in a purse would be not easy thing. but lately you will experience the true chic of exclusivity that the fragrance stays all day long filling the air of the its splendid notes. Bravo Chanel!

Wristsniffer
Wristsniffer

Luca Turin described it as "powdered white chocolate," and I'd have to agree. There's nothing else quite like this perfume, which starts out as a very animalic, ambery burst of indulgence and which dries down to a sublte, sweet, powdery patchouli. The patchouli in Coromandel is not dry, nor is it overly woody - it's blended with the chocolately amber so well that, though it's the headliner of the fragrance, it doesn't steal the show entirely, and eventually, it becomes just as powdery as the chocolate accord (which is a very unique occurrence to my nose).

This won't be universally liked and in fact, I've heard it's the worst-selling in the Les Exclusifs line, but for those who adore patchouli and chocolate, and perhaps those who were intrigued by Borneo 1834, it's worth seeking out and testing, if only for the experience of smelling something entirely original.

The powdery tone reminds me of sand and soft materials, the wet woodiness brings to mind images of driftwood, and the ambery incense reminds me of bonfires on the beach. Though it's the farthest thing from beachy, wearing Coromandel makes me feel like walking along a foggy beach in the morning, wrapped in the softness of a white cashmere sweater, and aware of nothing but the feel of the natural textures all around me.

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel by Chanel 4.42 out of 5 based on 1095 ratings and 180 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Exclusifs de Chanel Coromandel by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.