Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

dislike

leather
smoky
yellow floral

Cuir de Russie captures the essence of the wild and lavish Russia from 1920s. This perfume impresses and intrigues with its sensuality.

It opens with Tunisian orange blossom, Calabrian bergamot and Sicilian mandarin. Clear heart is formed of jasmine, oriental rose and ylang-ylang, constructed at the base of Albanian birch wood. Its leather notes are unusual for female fragrances.

It belongs to a luxurious collection Les Exclusifs de Chanel and is available in a 200 ml bottle. Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie was launched in 2007. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Beaux.

African Orange flower Bergamot Mandarin Orange

Jasmine Rose Ylang-Ylang Oriental notes

Birch Leather Tobacco Musk

Cuir de Lancome (La Collection Fragrances)
Mr. Blass

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie Fragrance Reviews

Thomasania
Thomasania

I bought a decant of this from Surrender to Chance and while it is a beautiful scent I have to say it had no sillage whatsoever on my skin. I thought it was just me, but I ask my sister to sniff and she said she could only faintly detect any scent at all. I know lots of people report that this has good sillage and longevity, but for me it does not. I am an over sprayer too, so I feel like it was not for lack of trying.
Due to the price of this one, I do recommend testing it before buying.
I do own Cuir de Lancôme and others state they are similar - the Lancôme had excellent sillage on longevity on my skin so I guess I will stick to this one.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a tiny decant. Opening reminds me of Guerlain's MdM with a hint of birch tar. I also get the same indolic jasmine note in this, which fortunately fades away few mins later. Once it moves into mid development, birch tar starts to take center stage supported by floral notes. It later dries down to just musky scent. Below average projection and moderate longevity on my skin.

Eos
Eos

After several full wearings of Cuir de Russie, I can honestly say that on my skin this is an uncannily realistic facsimile of the scent of the inside of my grandmother's purse! It is the smell of an expensive and well-made soft leather handbag that contains an old fashioned powder compact, lipsticks, a small bottle of a dusky-animalic jasmine perfume, band-aids, a medicated lip balm and misc yellowing pieces of paper.

While I LOVE the way Cuir de Russie smells, I'm not sure when I would want to smell like this in public. To my mind and my nose, its more of an intimate, nostalgic scent. It is certainly plush but also vaguely melancholy. I will cherish my decant but I don't need a full bottle.

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

I'll keep it short and sweet... Cuir de Russie is almost TOO luxurious! I really can only wear this if I'm wearing a suit, it's THAT beautiful, almost too much for public places I think. Leather and Jasmine on me all day that's sharp, sparkly and dry (Strangely, there's some horse turds floating around in the background as well) and the Leather is pretty hard core and smells of new Leather along with a very realistic Jasmine flower, that's all I get, oh but of the finest quality! When I smell this, I get the olfactory colour of gold, seriously... I think the dirtiest of all the Chanel Les Exclusifs, it just wreaks of dirty sex and money. Try it out and you'll know exactly what I'm getting at. It's honestly a very expensive Leather handbag busting at the seams with coins, paper money, and last nights shenanigans, that's exactly what it smells of... Brand new supple buttery soft Leather, fully bloomed Jasmine flowers, dirty filthy cash and a little bit of horse poo... Divine! 8 hours of longevity for me. Overall, Cuir de Russie is some high quality stuff, it`s not too loud, a little nauseating, and kinda repulsive due to the olfactory phenomenon it creates of horse dookie, Leather saddles and white florals all piled high... I highly recommend it!

Michael1962
Michael1962

Very soft and buttery leather,almost suede like in composition and as far removed from say Tom Ford Tuscan Leather as is humanly possible.Almost like Lutens Daim Blonde but stripped of the subtle apricot accord.
Like Bel Respiro,its very soapy on my skin and I fully appreciate the Cussons Imperial Leather comparisons.
Cannot detect any other notes,like rose and jasmine.
All I'm getting is a clean soapy and aromatic leather note,nothing more nothing less.
Like my review of Bel Respiro it would smell great on the right skin. Maybe my nose is expecting too much or too used to more masculine leather notes like Tuscan or Dior Leather Oud.
No doubt its a well composed and classy offering and something you would expect from Chanel but its not quite what I'm looking for.

TeaforTwo
TeaforTwo

I would like to bathe in this stuff, it is that good. Every once in a while throughout the day it astonishes me: I catch up myself thinking, 'What is it that smells so good?' Such a pleasure to realize that it's me! The softest leather, the most sophisticated smoke, the noblest flowers.

Castor
Castor

"Leather" is a complicated genre to define. It was widely used in the past, as a matter of fact I have several bottles of leather fragraces (one parfum, two extraits, three EdCs and one EdT; the EdCs and the EdT were made in Argentina). They all share a "family-air", a kind of leather marked by associations with a long gone era.

Differences revolve around a marked birch note - the masculine ones - or floral notes. In the case of Cuir de Russie, add aldehydes to the florals, so Cuir de Russie is, as all Les Exclusifs, a gentle version of the genre with a touch of how things were in the past.

In other words, this is not Or Black, Knize 10, Aramis, Bel Ami or Antaeus - these ones not so clearly leathery due to the fact the notes are in the base. As to Knize 10 and Or Black, the leather notes are on the top, while in Cuir de Russie in the mid ones, something found in old leathers.

A taste of the past, fleeting though, for in my case all leather scents are like citrics - yes, some get descent longevity in Chanel's, which is not my case. So, if looking for a long lasting floral - leather scent, a generous application will be needed, something I would not venture at all. Or rather choose the perfume version.

Leather scents are to be understated. If in need of bold ones, Or Black rules unbeaten, albeit short lived as the rest.

And as Cuir de Russie, on the vein of scents for those despising being noticed for their scents. It would do as a signature scent for these kind of wearers.

Edit: Longevty issues? Get the perfume. There is an alternative, but I am ashamed of writing about it.

HORRIDFRAG
HORRIDFRAG

intoxicating!
you will jez get addicted
to the beautiful
floral and leather
scent!

Germany
Germany

Most interesting scent! In fact this beauty smells like a horse farm and therefore of leather and horses. Unbelievable. Highly recommend this perfume for people that like horses and leather and the outdoors.
My husband thinks it smells of horse s**t which is true but its real good horse s**t ,,,,
He won't let me buy it but I love it!!!

Update... This might be my winter purchase. You can't always listen to you husband !

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

A rich and luxurious leather with flowery and powdery notes!!!

First time i did not like it and thought was too formal and hard to wear.

Now, i can say it is an amazing scent, not so easy to wear daily nor on summers, but at weddings, formal parties, etc.

"Très Chic", here we have a definition for this floral/animalic/leather fragrance.

Take a chance to try and feel free to tell us about it.
It is risky but sometimes it's worth it.

Will work better on winters or at night.

Nataja
Nataja

I am sure many of you have seen the Film "The Others" ? This is Nicole Kidman in that movie...Perfectionist,sexy,souveraign,and high on class but very motherly warm at the same moment.You smell the fire place burning in the backround. Normally I would say Nicole Kidman has the look more of a Prada model with the cold blue eyes and grace of a Russian ballerina.But Ithink she fits perfectly here along with the costumes-GORGEOUS!!!

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

What a disappointment this was!

I was prepared to like it based on my reading about it, but when I finally tried it on my arm I was put off by how thoroughly feminine and flowery the top notes are. It takes about a half hour for it to dry to the basenotes, which remind me powerfully of Estee Lauder Azuree Pure. (Which is, by the way, $44 at Macy's.)

Sadly, this is almost gone off my arm in about an hour - the same cannot be said for the Lauder product, which lasts for hours and hours.

I'd wear the Estee Lauder product except that it smells just a little too feminine. (My wife disagrees.) But it's way more butch than this is!

I suspect my desire for a quality leather fragrance will result in the purchase of a bottle of Hermes Bel Ami.

Sanveann
Sanveann

For me, this went on VERY smoky and then dried down to a warm leather scent -- like an old, buttery-soft jacket or pair of riding boots. It's one of my husband's favorites so far. (It would also be amazing on a man, IMHO.)

Cuir de Russie is unabashedly sexy, in a very grown-up and slightly kinky way. I love it, but I don't know if I could ever make it my signature fragrance, because it's not something I could ever imagine wearing to PTA meetings or Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner. For me, it's almost the scent equivalent of boudoir photos of yourself -- something exciting to share with your significant other, but not for the general public.

cunny2009
cunny2009

I purchased my first Cuir de Russie yesterday and I am in love! It is a masterpiece of perfumery and Ernest Beaux is a genius.
The fragrance is like pulling on a buttery soft leather jacket trimmed in plush lambs wool, so comforting and reassuring.
Wore it for the first time this morning and had compliments from the guy in the corner store, the girls in the bakery and the lady at the coffee shop. Definitely money well spent; I only regret not buying the 200ml now!
I have consistently worn the fragrance throughout our winter and it brings to mind the scent of a warm, hay strewn stable with the saddle and tack hung quietly in a corner but I recently wore it on one of our more hot Spring days and the fragrance warmed beautifully with the day but toward the end of the day I was strongly reminded of the smell of hot leather and sweaty racehorses pacing after a sprint. Not a bad smell but certainly completely different from the scent when worn in Winter.

Absolutely love this fragrance and wouldn't at all be surprised if it quickly becomes my signature!

sablebombe

This is really what I would have thought Chanel 5 should have smelled like! Perfection, perfection, perfection! On me it begins with a dark leather and jasmine note (I cannot usually wear jasmine at all but in this concoction I can!).

The soft and gentleness of the leather almost reminds me of suede rather than a leather! The flowers blend beautifully into a fragrance that just delights me!

On the drydown I get a good caramel scent - not overly sweet but just enough.

On my skin Cuir de Russie is just a pleasure to wear!

Now I am drying to try the classic version!

Despite after Bandit by Robert Piguet or even Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford this leather fragrance seems too quiet and not leathery enough, I can say that it's good and noble enough.

But I'm can't say that Cuir de Russie makes a huge impressian on my Russian nose:) I would choose Tuscan Leather as a leather scent.

sablebombe

Thank the living daylights I got a sample and saved myself a whole lot of cash! Sillage poor, longevity - medium!

Saddest thing is that Jasmine (unless it is the BEST) projects up my nose like 'cat pee' and I am getting that scent now! I expected something sexy and leathery - instead I got aldehydes, cat-pee and iris! Yes, there is some leather but not classy enough for me - or deep enough to call this Russian Leather!! (Mongolian leather maybe - if you know the history there !!!)

I see wads of prose written and this perfume lauded over - and why? Because it is Chanel and because it is old? I suspect the original composition smelt far better back in the days before the aldehydes!

Reminds me way to much of No.5 - and I can't stand that either - still I have the 4ml snifter - I suspect if I hand it down it will be worth even more when the frag is changed again!

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Cuir de Russie Parfum

Cuir de Russie is a masterpiece, and quoting another fellow reviewer from basenotes (of-scenter), it belongs to my pantheon of leathers. Its so beautifully done, the overdose of iris, the smoky birch tar with the citrus in the opening creating a sour animalic aura, its very dark and luxurious at the same time. An image that comes to my mind is Coco wearing a black patent leather cape over a white satin gown or even the famous Helmut Newton photo in witch the model is wearing a Couture Saint Laurent tuxedo.

Beaux and Coco managed to capture the essence of the feminist movement and the free spirit of the contemporary woman, that is, the duality of femininity and amazone fighter. I can see the working girl that uses seduction as a weapon, the dominatrix controlling her male slave and even house wives that knows how to convince their husbands to do what they want. The strange thing its that its is so classical and modern at the same time, i think thats why it reminds me of Yves and Helmut Newton, the erotic gender bender game, women dressing as men, women taking control over their desires and taking care of their lives. I fell like it represents Coco's own personal way of life, financially independent but emotionally dependent of her lovers at the same time.

CdR is a very feminine fragrance and you can smell that because its full of flowers but then again its so masculine, the flowers are very animalic, the birch is incredibly smokey and improper for a women and I think thats what makes this fragrance so grand and important. Its full of contradictions, its very personal, not the type of fragrance you would wear to attract someone but rather to satisfy your own desire. This fragrance and nº19 to me represents much more then nº5 whats Chanel is all about but unfortunately they doesn't get the attention they should specially Cuir de Russie...

5 out of 5

Muzoona
Muzoona

very shalimar !! is it me only think about that ??

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Cuir de Russie, to me, is leather and jasmine with woods. Not what I would usually go for but I find it delicious. My husband may not find this sexy but there is something comforting about this scent. It may be the vanilla that lingers at the end of each sniff. I find it softer than Coromandel. I can also detect the sweet tobacco note -- not strong at all. Together, if I don't separate the notes, it is like powder. This won't win any awards for sweetness but I don't mind. I enjoy the whole scent -- classy, unique and elegant. One reviewer mentioned Catherine Deneuve and I agree. I want this for its elegance. Toss up between Cuir de Russie and 31 Rue Cambon.

One spray on me:
Sillage: close to skin
Longevity: about 4 hours
Price: Holt Renfrew 75ml C$145

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Cuir de Russie is an angular officer of the Tsar's cavalry mounted on the back of a black thoroughbred horse.

It is worldy, sensual, rough and exotic. Yet at once has vulnerability: it offers glimpses of tenderness and hints at a melancholy as vast and unending as the Russian Steppes themselves.

This is hide: black, burnished, animal and unclean.

This is not the polite, precise, bridled up leather of a Hermes saddle or bag: fit for French fops on manicured ponies.

This is military leather, hardened by battle and burned birch. Impervious to the elements and sentiment , at first unyielding and unconscious of compromise.

But wait, something resides beneath the apparently impenetrable surface.

For at once with the St Petersburg splendour of Empire so comes its underbelly. The Caucuses, the conquered kingdoms of Mohammedans, Cossacks and Stans.

There is something of the souk: cardamon perhaps, the charcoal burner of the water pipe and its sweet and flavoured tobacco, a slow cooking stew of meats and fruits and spices.

Yet, through the bazzar of boots and belts and bags, specially cured to disguise from whence they came. Beyond the army supplier's oleaginous smiles and eternal deals, without the Medina's walls: here resides the truth.

The tannery. It's filth, it's excretia, it's putrefaction. The inevitable and unbearable pain that brings forth such beauty.

And it is all too much amongst the stink of the skins.

Our officer raises a pomade of flowers and bergamot to the nose, hoping hopelessly to ward off the evil and the smells. Spinning on sculpted heal, turning a back on reality. An old pipe is lit with french tobacco and our soldier departs in search of sex, sollace and forgetfulness.

As with every aristocrat of a declining Empire, our officer is open to offers from either man or woman - at the right price.

The mercenary promises to love no one. When present the presence is intense and enveloping as a lover's close embrace. Alas, it is gone too soon leaving only absence and the heart to yearn through the longeur to its return.

Cuir de Russie is the angular officer of the Tsar's cavalry mounted on the back of a black thoroughbred horse that every man and every woman wants to be or be with.

arxsyn
arxsyn

In the opening there is a strong pronounced leather and sandalwood soap. Seriously, reminds me of the kind my chinese grandma kept in her drawers to scent clothes. Very inexpensive. Still available today, comes prettily wrapped in colorful paper with signature flowery sandalwood scent.

Though this eau may not contain actual sandalwood it smells like it to me.
This smooth, soapy, woody (cada wood and balsam) flower accord is creamy and develops a light dusting of sweet powder. Subtle wafts of incense appear. The leather gets soft and intimate as genuine glove leather does. Suede in particular.

Luxurious, soft, refined, intimate oriental floral leather eau.
Very nice would love to buy this at some point.

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

Perfume "cuir" always has something specific, something sensuel in itself! "Cuir de Russie" is ideal for the sophisticated lady and for the elegant gentelman - really unisex.

Unfortunately the longevity is poor...but it is possible to buy a real parfum concentré

ION
ION

"Cuir de Russie" is the typical example of a perfume which everyone admits is good, only because it is not bad (with the prerequisites of the big nose and the big company behind it, fulfilled).
Nothing more to say here, just don't order it without first sampling it, as I find the comments below a bit exaggerated.
Longevity and sillage not brilliant, either.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Warning, PG18 ahead. Ok, I am risking getting stoned for this but here goes, this smells of sex! Wild, animalistic, no-holds and no-frills sex like what Samantha has in Sex & The City. First blast I smell sourish sweat (in a good way, not BO) mixed with tanned hides. As it dries down the sourness of it calms down and the light florals dance their way into this smoky, erotic, narcotic scent. (I really wonder how far Ernest Beaux researched into getting "the essence of Chanel's affair with the Grand Duke")- it's almost as if someone bottled their bedsheets, carpets and wherever else their amour took them. This never becomes floral or sweet, it stays firmly in the Oriental-Woody for me. This is not an obnoxious leather scent for those who are wary of leather notes like I am, having once tried a Serge Lutens one that made me think of leather couches and turned me off forever. I have to say THIS is the scent that has changed the way I look at Chanel forever, although having had or tried many others in the range, none have knocked the socks off me the way this one has. This is an EDT but it lasts forever. Sillage remains close to body. I have to excuse myself now as my fevered brain goes into overdrive. To Russia and decadent sex, with love!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is the most glorious beautiful leather scent I have ever met. It is so beautiful on skin and the balance of the leather and the florals and the gorgeous musky woody drydown is like honey on leather.

I see a fine gentleman all dressed up in his leather equestrian gear, smelling like the finest leather and a softly spicy floral cologne. He tries to finish his toast and honey before he goes off to the early morning hunt but he spills a drop of honey on his finely polished boots. "Oh, darling I'll take care of it," says his lovely wife, still in her morning deshabille. She leans over, scoops the trail of honey with her finger and then puts it in her mouth. "Hmm, leather and honey. Maybe I'll have that on my toast tomorrow," she says with an impish smile as she kisses him and hands him his tophat and riding crop. Cuir de Russie, the dream-maker!

kit1982
kit1982

Cuir de Russie Parfum starts with a sweet warm floral leather smell, after few minutes the leather becomes more prominent turning the whole scent into a powdery leather beauty. It stays more 8 hours on clothes, on skin about 4 to 6 hours.

Classic yet still very modern. Clean and dirty at the same time. For both men and women, old and young, and everyone in between.

"Leather Perfection"

All should try this!

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Les Magnifique, C'est Magnifique , Nous Magnifique, Vous Magnifique..Tojour Magnifique...lost of french words for now ; classic iconoclaste leather masterpiece! period - if you are a smoker; this will smoke you.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Brutally beautiful.

guido2663
guido2663

I cannot find another leather fragrance with a greater appeal so that can hardly compete with it, even the most recent versions are still top of the list.

The vintage formula was just a rain of paradise!

Womderful even on women.

Alfredo86
Alfredo86

This review is for the EDT (which I like better than the extrait: better smell, longevity, power and sillage).

I love this perfume. It opens with an amazingly sharp blast of acid notes that slowly settles down to reveal a beautiful equestrian leather with flowers in the background (namely the signature Chanel jasmine, rose and ylang ylang). I call it equestrian because I actually get hay, a leather saddle in the front, horse and... I'll say it, horsesh*t. However, the composition is so perfectly balanced that it plays with these animalic pestilent notes making them beautiful with the aid of the flowers and a little wood and tobacco, with hints of citric notes showing up every now and then. I never thought that the smell of a stable could become my second favorite perfume ever (surpassed only by vintage Narcisse Noir), but Chanel has proven me wrong. As the hours go by, the leather becomes more and more prominent, yet it still allows the rest of the heart notes to play around under its supervision. Many people seem to fin it sweet: on my skin it's nothing of the sort: the sourness of the flowers is revealed, thanks to the other notes that prevent their sweetness to come to play. As it dries down, it's like the stable had caught fire and it was burning in front of me. Im left with a beautiful, smoldering bonfire that goes on on my skin for hours and hours. I can almost feel the fire crackling. I only have so many words to describe how beautiful this is.

On my skin, Cuir de Russie has crazy sillage and longevity, more so than the parfum. I get compliments all the time when I wear it. But, most importantly, I cannot stop sniffing my hand.

Cuir de Russie is a masterpiece, and to me, the best Chanel ever (followed not too closely by the original Coco). This is a horse ride, followed by a moment of passion through the hay of a stable. The lovers have left their inprint in the stable (the woman's flowery perfume, say Chanel no 5, their strong cigarette after sex, their sweat...). As a result, the stable now has a characteristic smell: it's Cuir de Russie.

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

Very nice review Lanier...

glitterlust
glitterlust

Indolic, animalic, jasmine, soap, stables and saddles. This is beautifully equestrian, softly spoken leather and so far the sillage is intense and holding well.

It has next to nothing in common with Cuir de Lancome on my skin I would say it has more in common with Joy.

LANIER
LANIER

Paris 1921. Dawn. The snow was falling outside. It was a white coverlet that blanketed the Place Vendome like a soft wet whisper. Coco stretched and smiled eyes still closed. She rolled over in the bed and opened one eye. In the cool steel grey light the Grand Duke was still asleep. The beautiful Russian’s scent had permeated Coco’s bed. She breathed in the aroma of tobacco, it mingled with his musky sexiness. He was delicious.

She sat up in the bed and looked around the boudoir pulled her knees up to her chin and hugged them. A new lover; what could be more perfect this winter? She gathered the mink throw about her naked shoulders and arose like a sylph to ring for breakfast. As she passed a bouquet of African orange blossoms, roses and jasmine on the vanity she noticed how lovely the scent was as it mingled with the trail of musky masculinity that followed her progress from the bed. It hovered near her cheek daring her to kiss the air.

Once breakfast was ordered she turned to enter the bathroom and a glint of light from the foot of the bed snatched at the corner of her eye. The Duke’s gorgeous noir leather boots were there where he had dropped them the night before, one upright the other having fallen over on its side. Coco swept one up in her arms and held it like the most precious thing. The strong masterly fragrance of fine Russian leather embraced her. The room seemed to be swimming in leather and tobacco and some faint spices from the Orient that emanated from one of her perfume bottles. “Odeur incroyable, merveilleux rêve…” she whispered softly. She dropped the boot and fell back into bed with him. She squinted and studied his profile. Then playfully she ran her finger along his imperial Russian forehead over his nose and lips down to his chin. “Wake up Cheri! I have an idea.”

That Idea became Cuir De Russie by Chanel inspired by her brief love affair with a Romanoff on the run, the Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich. Created in 1924 by master nose of the house of Chanel, Ernest Beaux this fragrance is a masterpiece of the leather perfume group.

It opens like a rich silver box lined with plush maroon velvet. It is well-appointed and sumptuous in the smoothness of its first notes of African orange blossom and mandarin orange. These citrus accords are only momentary and they sink back to reveal the heart of jasmine, rose and ylang ylang supported by incredible spice. This all sounds very feminine and lovely but the over riding structure and genius of this fragrance is the persistence of the rich smooth polish of a great leather note. It is there from beginning to end. This leather blends in with the rose and jasmine to create a dominating masculine presence that somehow is not pushy but rather intuitive and clever. It is a seduction of insinuation that is in the end irresistible. It smells of a clean wonderful athletic body that isn’t intimidated by rough roughish edginess that comes with the musk. The dry down is clean as the birch wood note enters along with a taste of tobacco and bergamot. The projection is substantial and it lasts around six to eight hours. Cuir de Russie is most definitely for both men and women.

Plane and simply put it is a magnificent scent. Cuir de Russie by Chanel Les Exclusifs is a classic from arguably one of the best noses ever to have lived. Legendary, iconic and timeless and as modern today as it was when it was introduced 88 years ago.

FIVE PLATIUM CAMILIAS *****

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

This is the big tease. The beauty that glances at you but then suddenly recants on the idea.

Take the beautiful leather found in Knize 10 take away the chemical leather treater smell add iris and a few other gentle florals and you have Cuir De Russie.

This is so sexy so proper yet so bad ass ! The problem is sillage and longevity. There is hardly any projection from this fragrance. Even as a skin scent you would need to apply and reapply then apply again within a few minutes. So why own it ?

Bought it as an impulse buy and all it has brought me is heartache !

This experience has made me determined to find a good leather fragrance.

maab
maab

This leather masterpiece was made in heaven!

jesseyanne
jesseyanne

This is the white floral I have always craved. Light white florals -not too heady, deeply grounded with with woods and strengthened by twirling leather strands, and a little of that special Chanel powder.

As I first smelled this on my wrist I wanted to run from this fragrance. There is nothing to really run from. I smelled it again, and thought maybe I could find a guy who could wear it. I washed it off before the top notes unfolded. Mistake. This fragrance is made for a real woman, and therefore takes some time to get to know.

A few weeks later I got restless for adventure, so I checked my account and calender for opportunities to travel. No can do. Wistful, I remembered this scent. I ran to the counter and tried this on again. Adventure at last.

Ladies, if you put this on while your man is gone for the day, I think he will surely come back and ask you "Where have you been today?" just a little envious and hoping you will show him where you got all that mystery.

jgirgar
jgirgar

Wow, this is a fabulous fragrance. I'm a man and I love wearing this. I guess the connotation of leather and men go together somehow. It's rich and long lasting and projects nicely. Delve in and wear this while dressing up, running errands or an evening wear before going to bed. What is it about wearing Chanel at bedtime? The magnetic cap is fantastic. JG 022012

blueberry
blueberry

Being used to rather harsh, bold and daring leather fragrances, I must admit it was a genuine pleasure to encounter a soft and delicate leather scent for a change. This one is for sure refined and smoothened to the maximum.
I get lots of leather and jasmine at the background, which altogether make a kind of mild yet slighltly nauseating and animalic smell. It is both alluring and somehow distancing at the same time.
Sillage is pretty low on me as Cuir de Russie is definitely a close to the skin and intimate concoction, but longevity is excellent for such a delicate scent - about 10 hrs.
All in all, a really nice experience, but I guess will stick to my "crass" leathers, also because of the price!

stelladoro
stelladoro

On me, this Chanel is so different than as described. The initial notes are just slightly leathery, the middle notes are smooth and buttery and what really surprises me - the drydown stays on my skin forever. And it's sweet! Not cloyingly sweet, but sweetly tempting enough that I'm wondering 12 hours later, what smells so delightfully sweet and warm? It lasts forever on me, the sillage is excellent and I am saving up for a full bottle. I've gone through one sample and I know the second won't last long.

Cuir de Lancome, which I was prepared to love, is another story. On me it's loud and fractious, the drydown is a little better and the sillage is good, but I'll only be wearing it when I'm a little too mellow (or sleepy)- to smack me awake.

For me there is nothing in the Chanel that even hints of the smell of horse manure, or a barn, and I grew up on a farm and enjoyed ample contact with horses, cattle, rabbits, chickens, ducks and geese, both feeding and cleaning cages and stalls. Perhaps the Chanel appeals to me because I love the scent of a hay or horse barn and the smell of newly hatched fowl?

Fragrance is memory, and memory is mystery.

iivanita
iivanita

This smells like horses washed in a soap, it becomes better scent after 2 hours, recommend trying before buying this cant appeal to everyone, i have noticed parfumes with oak moss and leather can be stinky to half the people some like it and some cant stand it. I like leather scent like kely caleche very much although first 2 days i thought its not a nice smell at all. But this here is just too much animalic and horseslike,although it gets better with time
And yes this could be for men too!
and yes i can imagine this is like russia smelt at the begining of 19th century :)it does smell luxurious after several hours..and not after horses...and stays 12 hours!! the longest from all les exclusifs....

Christy2198
Christy2198

I am so impressed with this sent. Until now, I have not found a chanel that I could love. I also never thought a leather sent would work for me either. I dont really smell but a slight hint of leather. Lovely. Simply lovely. A must add to my collection.

Edit. I finally purchaced this fragrance. So glad I did. I moved to the chicago area from the warm south. Ive had trouble adjusting to the cold. This fragrance will help keep me warm over the cold winter nights.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

As much as leather is one of my favorite scents, of the (limited, I admit)leather-featured scents I've tried most have gone into plasticky-PVC-bondage leather rather than butter-soft leather gloves passed down from a chic female relative. Cuir de Russie, however, was love at first sniff. It opens with a dirty animalic note that's borderline fecal, but the soft, creamy, spicy florals seep in and smooth out this animal's shaggy fur until Cuir de Russie becomes this heart-achingly beautiful blend with an undercurrent of barely-bridled danger; a lady in leather and lace, a sleek panther at repose in a meadow. I feared the bergamot and mandarin might ruin CdR as citrus is my skin's nemesis, but the two are either nonexistent here or (more than likely) thankfully so well interwoven with the other notes that I can't make out their presence.

I have the current Exclusifs EDT, and so cannot compare to past formulations or the parfum, but I can imagine those are as beautiful if not more so. For an EDT sillage and longevity are quite long, and I only regret buying the smaller EDT. Ah well, more wiggle room in my budget to save for the parfum!

Ok, start to save your money now because you "NEED" to buy Cuir De Russie. This is absolutely fantastic and it's one of the richest, most lascivious and elegant leather scents around. Perfectly balanced to be at the same time wearable and " risky", it runs in that tiny, thin line between glory and precipice and it does it with an incredible awareness. Floral- animalic-leather at their best. Magistrally crafted, this is pure perfumery virtuosism. One of those scents that you encounter once every 100 years (i.e. Knize Ten). Buy it!

Cuir De Russie has been reformulated since 1924, but despite that, it's still one of the most luxurious and terrific iris/leather around. That's how reformulations should be!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Other reviews have covered all the bases. This is a most beautiful, smooth perfume and to me more gently spicy than leathery (thank goodness, after having experienced the brutal Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale). I cannot pick out any distinct floral notes so this is obviously a clever blend. This is quality in a bottle and next on the list for me to try is Sycomore. In the Exclusifs range though, IMO you cannot beat Coromandel. Chanel = class.

I think this fragrance is so rich and luxurious. I definitely get that brand-new-leather smell, and it's heavenly. It's sultry, seductive, and smooth. Sillage is excellent (considering it's an EDT). The dry down smells like honey and incense. I want it, but the Chanel store only carries a 6.8 oz. bottle!

guest_Pabs
guest_Pabs

I'm male and discovered this a few years ago. Its amazing that on a female it smells female and on a male its very male. I often get asked what's the amazing smell. Its exclusive enough to be confident you will be the only man in the room wearing it. The classic takes a bit of time to run in but you still get hints of it the next day. I've just bought the EDT 200ml and look forward to using it for a long time to come.

I was preparing myself for a strong leather scent, bigger and bolder than what I've previously tried. I was amazed to discover that this is a feminine and soft leather, nothing like Bandit by Robert Piguet or Cabochard by Gres.

This is leather with pretty floral and soapy nuances. I find nothing like what some have described; there's no animalistic qualities, (at least to my nose), no saltiness and no bitterness.

It almost smells inky to my nose, like a room filled with regal, black leather armchairs, big red cedar tables and ink-wells, with a vase filled with jasmine, ylang ylang and rose sitting near a window overlooking a courtyard.

I also don't get the masculine references, to me this particular scent is very feminine, pretty almost. I think it would work well in a casual atmosphere too.

I recommend Cuir de Russie as a leather scent for beginners, the perfect subtle leather before the transition into the bigger, harsher and stronger leather scents. Strange as it may sound, this fragrance is more romantic than dominatrix in my opinion. If you want sexual, animalistic leather try the men's department or douse yourself in Bandit.

Cuir de Russie has great lasting strength, however the sillage is extremely intimate and subtle, making it somewhat difficult to detect at times. All in all, a beautiful powdery and floral interpretation of a leather classic from Chanel.

hathor
hathor

This has got to be one of the most outstanding amazing perfumes i've ever smelt. It's not particularly "girly", but then neither am i. it smells absolutely great on my BF too. i think it's got something timeless about it, when i smell it i've got no idea it's from the 1920's, although i believe it has been reformulated for the new collection of exclusifs. what i love about it is the clean soapiness of the topnote. when i was a kid we always had Cussons Imperial Leather soap in the house and it reminds me a little bit of that, with lovely warm leathery smokiness in the drydown. i first smelt it in the Gum in Moscow but didn't buy it till i got home to Amsterdam. but for me it's a memory of my lovely holiday in Russia. this is so special that i wonder why it ever disappeared from general sale. in short a wonderful, amazing, timeless classic with a sort of edgy attitude about it. Definitely here to stay in my collection. i haven't smelt any beef in it yet, but i'll keep looking!! This one did get the thumbs up from my cat, who has a very discerning taste in perfume!!

Chanel CUIR DE RUSSIE is a full-fledged leather perfume. No idea why they've placed it in the oriental floral category, as this creation opens as dark leather conditioned with something like railroad grease and evokes images in my mind of black leather whips and Catherine Deneuve's afternoon lover in "Belle du jour". Not a flowery fragrance at all!

In the drydown, CUIR DE RUSSIE becomes lighter, more akin to soft suede, but it takes a while to get there. In the meantime, this is a dark leathery, yes, large-bovine-animal-roaming-free-through-the-prairie kind of scent.

I definitely would not recommend this for your wedding, among other occasions. Perhaps CUIR DE RUSSIE would work well--and even seem feminine--at a rodeo or a bullfight.

Layered with a rose perfume along the lines of Guerlain ROSA MAGNIFICA, I imagine that CUIR DE RUSSIE could be very beautiful, but I do feel that, as this composition stands, the florals have been entirely overshadowed by the dark leather and railroad grease. CUIR DE RUSSIE might very well appeal to fellows who like to don Dior FAHRENHEIT...

KJanicki
KJanicki

The smoothest richest softest leather ever! This is a pair of soft leather gloves, holding a bouquet of flowers with lots of jasmine, in a private library with glowing polished wood shelves and leather armchairs. After 8 hours it becomes a sweet vanilla, amber woody dream.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Eau de Bovine? Chanel Cuir de Russie is the "beefiest" leather scent I have sampled so far.

I like it, but it has a pronounced animalic aroma that doesn't exactly stink, but is not especially perfumey, either. I am surprised at the number of fruit and floral notes listed here, as my nose cannot smell any of them. This one comes across as fine, freshly tanned leather on my skin, with just a touch of meaty "beef jerky" scent. (Truly!)

It is 100% linear and stays close to the skin, with average persistence. I enjoy wearing it, but I save it for my days at home, as I can see how others might find this one a bit unpleasant.

Cuir de Russie is definitely unisex, as are most leather fragrances I have tried. It is one of the most unusual aromas in my collection and worth a try for fans of leather scents or unique perfumes.

(Please note: this review is for the new Les Exclusifs version of this scent, in EDT stregnth. I have not tried the "classic" version and can make no comparisons there.)

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie by Chanel 4.30 out of 5 based on 314 ratings and 52 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Exclusifs de Chanel Cuir de Russie by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.