Designers » C » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22 Chanel for women
dislike

aldehydic
yellow floral

Created for Mademoiselle Chanel, this perfume is named after the year of its birth. 1922. Chanel expressed her affection towards simplicity, clarity and modernity.

Top notes are: lily-of-the-valley, neroli and aldehydes. Tender heart of oriental jasmine, rose and ylang-ylang from Comoro islands is deepened by the notes of the base (Haiti vetiver and Bourbon vanilla). No 22 is intensive, powdery – floral fragrance, refined, sweet and feminine.

It belongs to a luxurious collection Les Exclusifs de Chanel and is available in a 200 ml bottle. The nose behind this fragrance is Ernest Beaux.

Lily-of-the-Valley Neroli Aldehydes

L'Ame Soeur

Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22 Fragrance Reviews

theuntrainednose
theuntrainednose

On me, starts as a floaty, white flowery scent, clean, airy and a little watery (not oceanic, just watery).

As it dries, becomes quite powdery (not baby powder nor cosmetic-type powder, but, for lack of a better expression, clean-smelling powder). I detect a hint of something herbal and fresh (possibly verbena?) and quite a lot of the best Marseille soap.

During drydown, there's a surprising phase where something sharp and vaguely metallic emerges. I have no idea what note it is, but it is well done. While surprising, I find it interesting in a good way.

A calming but energizing scent, like going outside to line-dry bedsheets washed with good Marseille soap that you will leave to dry and whiten in the sun, near a field with flowers and herbs. Or like you had a good bath in the morning and are drying yourself in a white towel also washed with soap and sun dried. Makes me feel calm but energized to face a new day.

The kind of clean smell I would like. Neither warm nor cool.

Not my kind of signature fragrance, but if I had the budget to add more variety to my perfume wardrobe I see there would be days when I would feel like wearing this.

Test details: one spray, on wrist, at department store, cool-ish evening.

malia
malia

Absolutely GORGEOUS!
I would prefer n22 above n5.
And I ADORE n5!!!!

Stunningly elegant perfume!

primarycook
primarycook

I originally put this under the No. 22 section, but what I tested was part of the Les Exclusifs scents, so I am correcting my error and cross-posting here.

It opens gloriously. It's No. 5 or Eau Prèmiere on steroids. The aldehydes are ramped up and ultra sparkly. It just smells so good, and I just want to keep breathing in deeply all that glittery goodness. It takes awhile, but they do relax their grip on the fragrance, and then here come the wonderful floral notes. I can't recognize them individually, they just have that heavenly Chanel scent. But wait, there's more! Suddenly the scent turns into the best church incense I ever recall smelling, and brings me back to Catholic mass with the priest swinging the incensor on its chain. Others may cough a bit, but not me, I just love this scent, perhaps it is frankincense, and somehow it mixes with the faint wood notes of the well tended pews. So wonderful! The incense holds on for a good long while, and all is well in my beautifully scented world until the dry down. It doesn't happen for quite some time, but it arrives and announces itself rudely. Something in this masterpiece does not mix well with my skin chemistry, because (and I hate to say this, it pains me to say this) it turns into a sharp smell of something very close to vomit. It's sharp and nasty, but somehow still elegant. Is there such a thing as high class, expensive smelling vomit? I loved this 9/10 of the way and then this? I was thisclose to deeming this full bottle worthy, but I can't spend money on something that my skin chemistry is going to utlimately turn into something foul and long lastingly so, because I do get some mileage out of that part of it too. Really sad about this, but my wallet is probably breathing sighs of relief.

leschoux
leschoux

If I were older, I'd probably fall in love with No 22 as hard as I did with Coco Mademoiselle.

My mum has No 5, and No 22 kinda reminds me of No 5 to be honest. I love No 22 more, though, for some reasons. It opens with a very bold aldehydic burst but it turns floral quite quickly. A very classic, timeless, elegant floral core. Very Chanel. I can definitely smell the Chanel DNA in there. It's rather sweet, but it's not dizzying. No potential to be cloying at all. Even Coco Mademoiselle can be rather cloying if you over-spray it zealously in sunny weather but not No 22! The smell is soft and comforting...very reassuring. It's a very confident smell though. Longevity is good. Sillage is just nice. Definitely my favourite in the Les Exclusifs range (Beige and Cuir de Russie follow behind this...very, very closely).

Overall, I really love No 22 and I can see how I will probably change my signature scent to this once I get older and get sick of Coco Mademoiselle. It's much nicer scent than No 5 methinks...much more sophisticated and elegant. It's almost as if it's above reproach. Excellent scent from an excellent range from an excellent perfume house. Love, love, love it. I'll likely be working my way to getting myself a 200ml bottle of this. Love at first smell. Absolute signature scent material.

Rating: 9.5/10

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I read somewhere that people can be divided into those who get mostly incense from No 22 and those who get florals, not sure if I'm either since I get both

Firstly I get aldehydic lemony un-smoky Frankincense for at least an hour, then florals begin to appear.

When they do they're wonderful (though still cloaked in incense) - lovely buttery ylang/jasmine/tuberose. All combine into a subtly sensual creamy floral bouquet, with temple-like wreaths of frankincence that temper the conventionality of a white floral perfume.

The sillage is light to moderate, so I'd say this is ideal for anytime when you want to feel elegant and unique with a subtle 'come hither' aura. Perfect for daytime and quieter evening events.

On first spray, there's too much frankincense for this to remind me of No 5, other than the aldehydes. Into dry down I think there's a similarity to Bois des Iles - and I'm sure there's a definite sandalwood in this which isn't listed here.

The ylang/jasmine has a lovely creamy touch of banana, and with the soft woody incense notes, I'm tempted to describe this as 'Chanel does Samsara' - they've coifed Samsara's flowing hair into an elegant chigon then wrapped her bare shoulders and decolotage in chiffon laced with silver. That's what Chanel Exclusives do, no flip flops or obvious cleavage here!

As for sillage - forget No 22 for loud parties or clubs if you want to make a statement - as other posts here have mentioned - in those circumstances the only people who'll appreciate this lovely incense floral will be yourself and whoever snuggles up to you!

Other than that, heaven in a bottle. I definitely far prefer it to No 5 but I like softer woody florals

halalula1234
halalula1234

DIVINE!
This scent is pure sophistication, a gentle and polite powdery aldehydic fragrance. Very feminine, sophisticated and soft....yet it has excellent silage and longevity...also my mum's signature scent in her teens.

In a prestigious function hall filled with chaos and other glammed up women trying their best to draw the attention of rich gentlemen attending the event. No.22 is the polite and enigmatic young woman in the corner of the room dressed in a plain but classy beige Chanel dress, she the one that gets instantaneous attention without having to do a thing, or say a word....everyone notices her and wants to be up close to her. Gentlemen are drawn to her elegance, beauty and grace, other ladies with caked-up faces and over the top, avant-garde gowns gazed at her with jealousy... She doesn't even want attention but gets it effortlessly.

I just love this scent so much, it makes be feel so comfortable and relaxed....Very Chanel-esque. Smells like nothing else on the market nor anything else I have ever smelt.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I am not sure what aldehydes are but if this has it then give me more perfume with it. The smell is comforting, gorgeous and becomes very personal -- i want it all to myself. It becomes the scent I miss most when I don't wear it. I fell in love with no 5 sensual first. then i smelled this and was instantly smitten. It begins as one thing, then changes into somehing smoky, powdery with some spice wih the floral still on top. I don't know how Chanel does it but I find the perfumes to be complex, clearly sophisticated, and the most beautiful perfumes in the world.

Of course, I only put it on after my shower, when i put on leopard jammies, and get into bed to read or watch some tv before going to sleep. I'M SURE Chanel wouldn't use me in an ad.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

No. 22 made me fall in love with aldehydes. Prior to our acquaintance, I only liked or appreciated aldehydes. I own a few, Chanel's No.5, Van Cleef's First, which are all glamorous beauties but left me cold. I got closer to Tauer's Noontide Petals and Guerlain's Liu but never contemplated a serious attachment until I met 22. The aldehydes are glorious, of the champagne fizzle type, not too soapy or powdery on me, as No. 5 and First became. I get the citrus that's bright and tart, the white florals and ylang ylang are smooth and ladylike. No. 22 is such a smooth composition with no rough edges (rough edges unfortunately brings to mind Noontide Petals which I do enjoy but find unfinished compared to Liu and 22). For me in the drydown, the aldehydes are still going strong and mixing with a woody tone, vetiver? I don't get the vanilla in this which is fine by me. Side by side comparison, Liu dries down and reveals it's Guerlainade DNA. 22 is all about Chanel. Both very French but still unique in composition. 22 for me is more affordable than Liu, which makes it easier for me to continue this relationship that is not as high maintenance but still full of class and fizz.

byrum.tzn
byrum.tzn

My fascination with chanel started with no 5 as a kid, i was probably 3 or 4 in around 1996 and my aunty who was and still is a really young, lively beautiful blonde loved both no 5 and no 22. No 5 was her signature perfume and no 22 always got overshadowed by no 5, yet no 22 became her wedding fragrance. that kind of say's it all, It fit her so well, she had a halter neck wedding dress with elbow length white gloves, very contemporary 90's. Anyway fast forward to around 2006 and suddenly no 22 was gone, from stores, boutiques, it had completely vanished along with bois des iles, cuir de russie and gardenia. My auntie had stocked up on the no 22 and decided to sell me a few of the bottles adorned in the white case. I was completely ecstatic as I was always intrigued by this fragrance!

No when this came out in 2007 I didn't immediately buy it, partly because my fenwick department store didn't carry it until 2009, then I went and forked out for a huge 200ml bottle. I didn't notice a huge difference between this and my vintage other than this seemed fresher. Still smells very much like the same 22 I always loved, same sillage and strength but something is missing, then I realised it was orange blossom. Now my vintage 22 was big on aldehydes and orange blossom on the initial spritz, then after a while I got some it was warmed by jasmine and ylang ylang, then finally a musky powdery vanilla was left on the skin, very cosy and beautiful.
The new no 22 is almost the same expect orange blossom is only faintly present, toned down quite a bit, this also seems a lot warmer than my vintage but longevity wise this actually beats my vintage, Stayed on my skin all day which makes me love no 22 even more.
This is my first signature and continues to be a favourite for me; I’ll never be without it!

Sherihan
Sherihan

A lot of Frankincence, it's actually the theme around 22, it's obvious. But I'm surprised it's not listed here.

Eos
Eos

Somehow, prior to testing No.22, I'd gotten the idea that this would be a femme fatale scent. Instead what I found was one of the most supremely serene perfumes I've ever smelled.

Everyone talks about this being a frankincense perfume, if that's true, then what I'm smelling is an unburnt frankincense which smells very citrusy without being tangy. The aldehydes are pushed to the max here and they feel soapy, powdery and round. The florals are smooth and ladylike, primarily waxy white florals, iris and ylang ylang.

The base of this perfume is a warm, vanillic woody powder. The overall feel is very pretty, very retro but at the same time clean. In someways it reminds me of a bit of sophisticated baby shampoo with a luxuriously rich lather of soft, champagne-like bubbles.

spidola
spidola

This is one of the most beautiful perfumes I have tested lately! It’s the first one of all Chanel Exclusifs line, so I’m not able to compare it with other Chanel Exclusive perfumes. But I saw it’s been often compared to Chanel no 5 and I can say, by my opinion, they are rather different.
No 22 opens with green-yellow cloying aldehydes, which are sunny, buttery, round, elegant and evolves into utterly feminine creamy, ylang-ylang vanilla scent. It’s not difficult to wear, but it’s far away from being girly, simple or transparent.
Chanel no 5 is more flowery and less complicated. Besides, I thought to not like aldehydes a lot ( for example Iris Poudre FM, or even Chanel no 5), but I’m in love with no 22!
I have no idea if I can ever have it, as it’s not easy to find, but I’m really happy to have tested this masterpiece!

FashionSavvyDolly
FashionSavvyDolly

I went to my favorite department store with intentions on purchasing Chanel. No. 5 and walked out with No. 22 instead. No. 22 is a more pumped up No. 5 in my opinion. I feel like a bombshell when I wear this. The aldehydes are turned on full blast which send me to a time and place in the past when ladies wore red lipstick daily and sported wiggles dresses. It takes a certain kind of woman to pull this fragrance off. A woman who is proud of her femininity and basks in it will love and appreciate this fragrance.

queenofcups
queenofcups

i cried the first time i smelled it, because it turned out that, that perfect thing i had so long imagined has a shape, and a name ........it simply exists.

Beauty has its standards, its proportions, beauty is a mastery of a perfected craft, it is the fruit of the essence of hard work, an effortless smart elegant hard work.
So when the world smells, it stands in awe for its greatness

Kterhark
Kterhark

I"m told San Francisco is one of three U.S. sites to carry Chanel's ceramic sniff sticks. Don't know if that's true, but I went through the entire Les Exclusifs line and didn't get a headache. (The ceramic sticks marinate in fragrance for a few hours, giving a better experience than a paper blotter).

No 22 and 1932 were the only two I was interested in. I'm shocked that I liked this; I hate aldehydic white florals. But there is something in 22 that is more earthy, more grounded. Ylang ylang? The vanilla base? Who knows; but after 20 minutes this is a gentle, feminine halo. Even at the end of the day it is still classy and clean.

If there is a list of 'top 20 scents all perfumistas must try', No 22 is on it.

TeaforTwo
TeaforTwo

I don't really see the point of this when there's No. 5. What no. 5 is to champagne bubbles, this is to soap bubbles. There's clean, and then there's too clean.

tania.sedik

THis doesnt smell like No. 5. this is a totally different animal. Its far less baroque than no 5, much more cool and elegant i find. this is for a woman with real style.

pansylady
pansylady

This smelled very orange syrup-y on me, and I couldn't identify any of the flower notes at all-

Guess I'm just not a Chanel gal...

evesoho
evesoho

One day in early spring I sampled this perfume for the first time. Being an older Chanel, I knew it was historically important, and, being more under the radar, I hoped it would be slightly challenging. It proved to be too challenging at first, and I wrote a negative review. It was to be deleted.

Later on in the season, there was a cold snap, and before getting into bed, I had a craving for No 22, despite having disliked it. This is the only time I've craved a perfume I didn't think I liked. You see, I wasn't accustomed to a white floral/incense/aldehyde mix. So I put it on, and fell asleep under it's dark, starlit, and frothy white waves. In the morning, I realized it was after my heart.

A few months later I ordered another sample of the Les Exclusifs edt, and also of the vintage edt, and of the extrait, to get a better sense of the perfume.

The vintage edt is quite a bit more interesting and deeper than the current. The extrait, though, is my favourite of all. I don't want to get into specific details. I've never tried to dissect Chanel 22; I haven't voted on the notes, or even looked closely at what notes are listed. I feel like if I get too close, I might spoil the illusion for myself.

Here is what Chanel No 22 Extrait means to me: A couple weeks ago, my boyfriend took me to a jewelry store to try on some rings. I decided to wear 22 that day. The next day, we went to a different store, and before leaving the house I decided I wanted to wear 22 again. I don't often wear perfume two days in a row, so that's saying something. A couple days later, another store called us back to say that they got one of the rings we liked in my size, and when we went to try it on - I wore 22. He bought the ring that day. He put it in his pocket, and although I thought he would wait to officially ask, he ended up driving into the woods on our way home so that we could go for a walk. When we arrived on a bridge over a pond he asked me.

My wedding dress arrived, and whenever I look at it, I can smell 22. I would love to receive a full bottle of extrait at my bridal shower, but it's an expensive gift. Even if I end up just ordering a decant, at this point I can't envision my wedding day without it.

abbeyroad68
abbeyroad68

I agree that this fragrance "revisited" is NOT the same 70's fragrance that I knew and loved. I am missing this fragrance every day of my life. What a great scent to sleep in or wear every day in any situation. It was light, powdery and oh-so Chanel. If anyone knows a good substitute for this almost forgotten fragrance, post it here! :)

Germany
Germany

chanel 22 , a very sophisticated grown up , elegant perfume. It's surprisingly easy to wear , a lot easier then the often compared #5.
22 takes me back into my childhood growing up in Germany , its the smell of elegance, culture and class.
It starts with an aldehyde burst of orange rind and neroli , starchy linen sheets that have been dried outdoors in the hot sun and then ironed to perfection leaving that powdery clean scent of just washed white linen sheets ....Slightly soapy Florals come to surface and disappear into a powdery , vanilla white cloud.
I find 22 is very unisex, I could see this working for a classy lady as well as a well groomed gentleman.
If you like Chanel #5 , Premiere, and Bois de Iles and Prada infusion d'iris you may just like 22 as well.

desertrat
desertrat

I was so incredibly disappointed in this reformulation of the original. I'm missing the sophistication of the Iris and the warmth of the nutmeg. I had to send it back. I wore the original in the 70s and it was Divine. My apologies for a sad review... :(

Jpon
Jpon

I have tried this perfume on me a year ago and loved it immensely; it was in my love and want lists. Recently I got a sample from the Chanel boutique in Las Vegas. I tried it for several times during the last two weeks and I can tell I hate it -- soapy and without any sparkle. Maybe I have changed, maybe perfume has changed (it actually became $35 more expensive for 75 ml bottle). Anyway I am glad I didn't spend on a whole bottle.

nadeschka
nadeschka

No.22 is my signature for 20 years now! I first bought it at the age of 17 (not what you would expect from a teen, right?) It has never bored me, not once! It feels always suitable! And I always come back to it after my sniffing-escapades.
Yes it is soapy (but not like EL's White Linen or Rive Gauche), VERY aldehydic and a bit sharp at the beginning. But the incense ads a sweet deepness that gives it something very comforting. It has a good silage and an excellent staying power on me.
People often mention it as the sober sister of the plush No.5. To stay in the "sister" alegorie: No. 5 would reads Anna Karenina and No.22 Proust!

Jonni51

As I first smell N22, all I can think of is the ethereal northern lights (aurora borealis) on a clear, cold winter sky, adorned with a myriad of stars. Before you know it the temperature elevates, the snow starts to melt away, and tender flowers emerge from the wet, black soil.

It's funny to me that incense isn't listed in the perfume pyramid, because there is absolutely no way around it in this fragrance.
After those sparkling aldehydes has subsided a bit, a smooth, vanillic incense aura seems to form the backbone of the scent to which all the other notes are woven together seamlessly.

The bright, aldehydic top is like standing in front of towering dunes of glistening white snow with the only thing breaking all the white being the endless azure blue sky above.
Slowly, the dunes of snow transforms into blossoming white flowers dusted with a soft, citrusy powder.

As described on Chanel.com:

"Layers of tulle. A shower of petals... A scent full of grace.
Aldehydes give strength and spirit to this swirl of whiteness letting Tuberose, Iris and Damask Rose blossom forth.
A sweet and refined fragrance".

Which is a perfect description indeed!

I completely agree with ojosverdes that N22 seems much more "serious" in feel compared to N5. Which is interesting, considering N22 is supposed to be a lighter more "white look" version of N5. However, this is also the reason why I personally prefer N22.
The biggest difference between the two is the animalic notes in N5, which in N22 is cut and replaced with that addicting incense.

N22 is the perfect example on how traditional "brighter" notes doesn't always have to equate happiness, and how "lighter" ones does not necessarily equal "blander".

The genius of N22 is that you'll expect it to be just another white floral blend, seeing how it in theory has all the components to be one, but the end result couldn't be more different.

There seems to be a disturbing element hidden somewhere in the composition of N22.
It's always there, but it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what it is.
This is what makes N22 so intriguing, and is what sets it apart from the others.
N22 is no innocent wallflower, it has a suggestive nature that keeps pulling you in, almost on a subliminal level. it's got a secret agenda, which is to make sure you love her, and her only.
And for sure, it is hard not to!

N22 is a diamond in the rough, and a stunning classic.

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

I happen to be the winner of a few samples in the giveaway given by Conifer Lover. Thank you again for your generosity! I love everything Chanel so when asked what samples I wanted, Chanel 22 was sure to be one of them. I was always curious about this scent but had not had a chance to sample it. I did not go out of my way to try and buy a sample, I was afraid that if I liked it that much I would probably need to get a full bottle and I own quite a few bottles these days. I sprayed the scent 40 minutes ago! My first impression, very Vintage smelling! Lots of powder and soap in my skin. I though there was some leather notes in there but upon examining the notes I realized it didn't have it. I find this one to be unisex. I think this will smell good on man or a woman. This scent screams sophistication and high class, someone with a high position of authority. This is a scent that a 50+ woman or man would wear to walk down while shopping on Fifth Ave. The white floral aspect of the fragrance is there but is not loud, I can't really smell them individually. The floral notes have been subdued by the vetiver. The powdery aspect is not as strong in the dry down as when I first sprayed the scent. I can see how this could share some similarities to No.5 but I believe that No. 5 EDT has a broader appeal, it's more sexy. I find 22 more restrained, more serious no sweetness, where as No. 5 is more fun and bright and sunny. No. 5 is sweet where as 22 is more dry IMO. It definitely has that Chanel signature running through. If you are looking for something more exclusive that is harder to find from Chanel, then I would recommend that you try it; otherwise, I would just stick to No. 5.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

As soon as I sprayed it, the sales clerk and I both agreed it was similar to No5. When compared side by side, No22 was a more gentler No5. It was full of aldehydes but something about No22 was lovelier, not as sharp. No22 is a chiffon while No5 is soft wool. Eau Premiere seemed grassy compared to No5 and No22. The latter just had all the beautiful ingredients without the mustiness that I find on No5. Elegant, delicious and Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I definitely will buy this after (hopefully) I finish Eau Premiere.

One spray on me,
Sillage: about a foot
Longevity: about 4 hours then skin scent for the next two

Puddy Cat
Puddy Cat

do not usually like white floral top note's but this perfume is quite beautiful, it open's very soapy to me as if I have just finished bathing with a luxury soap bar, the distinct Chanel aldehydic note is prominent throughout the wearing,the drydown is still very clean, soapy & fresh & rather creamy, give's the feeling that my skin has been adorned with a lovely thick body lotion ,I also get a powdery "talc" note throughout the middle & end of the wearing ........

Jonni51

The most beautiful thing I have ever smelled, and for sure #1 out of all the Les Exclusifs for me, (which says something, coming from such a stunning, high quality collection of fragrances)!

All of the reissued classics, originally created by Ernest Beaux are masterpieces in their own right.
Cuir de Russie: A leathery, birch bark scent. It's soapy and dirty all at once! Makes me think of 1920's Russia indeed.
Bois des Iles: A soft and luminous oriental sandalwood. Leads me to some hot, exotic place. Somewhere in southeast Europe perhaps.
Gardenia: A creamy and coconutty white flower scent. Transports me to some uninhabited, tropical island.
But N22.. Such a blindingly white floral! Spring in the nordic countryside. The melting ice and snow repleaced by endless oceans of flowers.
My initial reaction upon smelling N22 was a rare one for me, I felt instantly at home.

This is of course highly subjective, but N22 just feels like ME. It's all I've ever wanted in a fragrance, and then some.
From certain angles it almost feels like a mix between N5 and N19, Probably leaning more to the N5 side.
For sure blows both of them straight out of the water though!
If you've ever wanted to wear either of those two but are having difficulties, you should try this one for sure. Heck, even if you don't like either of those, I think you should at least give this wonder of a fragrance a decent try.

Okay, so it smells exactly like N5 at first spritz, but wait! As by a flick of your fingers, it suddenly turns in another direction completely.
N5 always had an "old world" vibe to me, but N22 pushes it even further. It smells ancient, like it's always been here somehow. However, neither of them ever smelled "dated" or "old" to me. Simply "old world" in a pleasant, reliable and slightly melancholic way.

To me N22 smells sparkly, soapy, smoky, balmy, rosy, dark, light, and clean all the while remaining utterly mysterious. If there's one scent out there who deserves the title "multidimensional" N22 would be it.

I've always found the scent of N5 to have a certain sense of mystery about it, N22 however, takes it to a whole other level.
The smell itself feels (because of the heavy aldehydes), like a bright, sparkling drink at first, (champagne perhaps) then pastel colored soap, paired with the darkness of a thick, sacred incense, embalmed in the most luscious, rich flower petals. Mainly white rose, ylang ylang, lily of the valley, neroli, violet and iris. It finally finishes off with the most delicate whiff of warm, tender sweetness, like a reminder of your favorite sweet candy and a soft, grounding woody finish.
A divine, beautiful smell that sure leaves an impression and that's impossible to forget.

Nothing compares to this. N5 and N19 comes close smell wise, but even those two fall short in my opinion.
I've always thought N5 to be surprisingly wearable by a man considering it is often labeled as "the most feminine ever" "smell of a woman" fragrance. N22 is even more wearable by men and roughly, you can say that it smells both really clean but also has a very dark, smoldering and sexy side to it which says neither male nor female to me. If N5 is the scent of a woman, then N22 is the scent of a beautiful human being no matter the gender. (Beautiful on the inside that is).
The best thing? It just get's better and better as the hours go by! It finally diminishes into a lovely, soft whisper of it's former self.
Contrary to it's delicate, quiet nature, it's a powerful fragrance, so you won't need to put on much of it. I only put ONE tiny spray today and it's more than enough. (I would not mind to bath in it's loveliness though)!
Silage is absolutely decent as well, this isn't a scent that's supposed to be loud anyway, it's supposed to be enjoyed by yourself, and those lucky enough to be close to you.

The staying power is good too, I put it on quite a few hours ago, and it's still just as present as earlier.

Cut short: A mysterious, soapy, incense laden white floral.

If N5 is inevitable, then N22 sure is inimitable.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

This is what I imagine heaven would smell like! LITERALLY!

Think of the most gorgeous and beautiful blond woman you can think of, dressed all in white robes, standing on an iceberg peak in a magestic pose. (Think Nicole Kidman, Sharon Stone, Charlize Theron, Tilda Swinton, ...) This juice is angelic, so if there was one single woman most suited for an ad, I would vote for ABBA's Agnetha Faeltskog, who to me is the ultimate Northern angel. I would imagine her to smell like this.

Behind her you have the glistening, beaming, blinding light of the sun in its zenith.
It is ice cold (aldehydes), yet the sun beams cut through the cold with pleasant warmth (vanilla).

A bewildering, almost deafening crisp blast of fresh air. Not for those who suffer from fear of height for this will lift you up into the stratosphere in an instant.

Think CHANEL #5 in a blizzard snowstorm that somewhat strangles the floral strength, yet boosts the blast of aldehydes to the very max!

MASTERPIECE!!!

It smells softer and tender than Chanel №5 in all concentrations, but they too alike. And almost the same with Chanel №5 hair mist. As I have this hair mist, I don't need it. But maybe it's the best from Les Exclusifs de Chanel.

I like this fragrance. It's as noble as legendary Chanel №5 and Chanel №19, which are my favorite by Chanel.

oona noir

Brt, I am so glad I am not the only one to feel there are similarities between 22 and Infusion d'iris! What is weird is that I wouldn't even say they smell the same. Infusion reminds me of N5 more than 22 in literal scent. But Infusion and 22 BEHAVE the same way on me. Muskymoi's description of how 22 wafts up on you and appears and disappears is spot on and Infusion d'Iris does the same thing on me. 5 has a much more straightforward sillage and demeanor in my experience.

brt
brt

My all time favorite and what will always be my signature fragrance. I started wearing this back around 1979 or 1980 when my husband and I found it at - believe it or not- a drug store complete with the bath powder AND the bath oil! I don't think they even make the bath oil or powder anymore - too sad. I have about 1/3 a bottle of the splash vintage colonge left and I wear it only for special occasions. I will have to will myself to order it from the Chanel boutique when it's gone - poor wallet. Or, more likely, get a decant. I've looked for a scent that reminds me of #22 at a reasonable price and Prada Infusion d'Iris does somewhat because of it's touch of incense but even the Prada EDP seems pale in comparrison, lovely though it is.

A favorite Chanel #22 memory is riding in a crowded elevator with someone who was carrying an armfull of beautiful flowers. A fellow rider kept exclaiming all the way up on how beautiful the flowers smelled, how she had never smelled flowers with such a beautiful scent. She went on and on ecstatically about them. I stepped off that elevator with a Mona Lisa smile. It was my Chanel 22 she'd worshipped. Thank you Ernest Beaux for this touch of heaven on earth!

tania.sedik

I find this has a bit of a liquorice in the drydown thats really hard to ignore

ranchorita
ranchorita

sprayed it for the first time 2 minutes ago. Big burst of l'Air du Temps for me. (or wind song?) Let's see how the day goes. If it's like the last 3 I've tried lately, it'll grow on me.

Oh, and I didn't dislike l'Air du Temps, but it was a long time ago.

Update 12 hours later - whatever it was, this is not a scrubber for me, but I don't think I'll wear it again. I'll be passing this lovely sample along to someone else who I hope will enjoy it more. In defense of Chanel, Coco was my go-to 'fume for years. I just don't care for 22 or No. 5. I'll be trying others. I hope they work better on me.

oona noir

"it is imperiously clean but sexy as hell"
ihughes123 nailed it.

mylancome
mylancome

After tried many perfumes from affordable main stream to very expensive niche, this is the only perfume that made my girl friends said this to me once they meet me and smelled my perfume: What perfume are you wearing? It smells fantastic!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I like this but I'm not quite sure when I could wear it. It is very soapy and aldehydic with that slightly strange 'snuffed out candle' scent that white linen also carries. Interesting and a real period piece, like it or hate it.

arxsyn
arxsyn

This frag is very smooth. It is the one in the range that immediately evokes the more famous no5.

The fragrance is so smooth, well blended and so full of aldehydes i cannot make out individual flowers at all. It is THE Chanel aldehydic bomb. It smothers out whatever poor flowers are in range

Once the bomb settles, i detect fallout in warm, soft powder and some smoke, but dominated by an intense sweet woody smell that evokes a smokey leather quality. Replete with the ever present aldehydes now calmed down into soapy territory. I can smell traces of vanilla and very soft tuberose in this old fashioned soap. If you like this scent, it can be described as retro or vintage smelling.

Very well blended, soapy floral. Unisex. Aldehydes give the idea of flowers but does not resemble real living flowers and the heart is a bit aggressive, a little masculine. So men shouldn't shy away from this. There are examples floral soapy masculines out there.

I am a young woman and i really cannot see myself wearing it. There's this aggressiveness about it. And i literally feel like bar soap. Very expensive, old fashioned triple milled soap. I only spritzed it once on my forearm. And it waslike i had doused myself in it. The only feminine thing about it is that yourgreat grandmother would like this kind of soap that her husband also used out of convenience, because it's sitting there.

I am very surprised at both sillage and projection though. That's i normally expect of a chanel. The exclusifs line generally speaking, do not have monster sillage or projection.

For me, at best, and i'm really making a stretch is to make it to suit certain occasions, going for the retro vibe. If people say it's too much, too loud, or simply plain awful on me. At least i can say, well it's Vintage, they are all like that.

Gabriel Chanel, on the other hand, would never need to make such excuses. This is HER, everything it represents. The image of one of the most successful working women of her day. It has a toughness and tenacity and fittingly, is saturated with the aromachemical that made no5 iconic.

ihughes123
ihughes123

A searing white hot iron cuts through a valley of narcotic, starched florals, embedded upon a sea of sweet gold dust...

This fragrance is more feminine and more appropriate for casual wear than the more baroque No 5.

This sentence would usually deter me from buying a perfume.

But all is not what it seems with No 22.

It is also also more gothic and has greater mystery. Like steam from a decadent bath it is imperiously clean but sexy as hell.

lisa o
lisa o

once I succeeded in diving through the aldehydic bomb of the topnotes, I start to enjoy the wonderfully soft and sweet, ladylike iris (and the rest of course). almost not recognizable, the tiny tiny "dots" of vetiver are nice...a fragrance for ballerinas;-)
...which I am not:-P

muskymoi
muskymoi

#22 is the debutante before she was ruined by a scoundrel and was forced to start wearing #5.

Me? I have my moments when I want to be the debutante and when I want to be the ruined woman. I don't limit myself. Imagine yourself walking into the Chanel boutique and asking for a bottle of #22 (as part of the exclusifs line, you won't find this in Macy's or Sephora) and watching them wrap it carefully, place it in the familiar white and black box and then the matching bag. You put on your dark glasses and leave the shop with a smile and bottle of 22. Heaven.

#22 is rich in aldehydes almost to the point that if I chase the scent with my nose glued to my wrist I won't even detect the perfume at all. #22 doesn't want to be chased that way...it wants to waft and appear and then disappear and then reappear...kinda like Helena Ravenclaw. ok. so I'm a perfume-loving Harry Potter nerd. I don't see that as a problem.

Momo NYC
Momo NYC

Love, love, LUV Chanel No. 22. It has become my new signature fragrance. Works so very well with my body chemistry, the fragrance truly lasts and lasts on me, super sillage.
Loved by everyone around me. Flowery, powdery, but with a Big Girl vibrato. It just "works" on me.

I also love the smell of Chanel 19, but after 30 minutes on my skin, it's done, gone, finis. And that's the Eau de Parfum. Alas.

For years (decades!) I wore Paco Rabanne's Calandre as my signature scent, and was heartbroken and bereft when it was discontinued. After searching, searching in the parched desert of unhappy perfumes, I have finally and joyously enmeshed myself with Chanel No. 22.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

I find most of Ernest Beaux's fragrances to be a bit simplistic and utilitarian. That is absolutely not the case here. This is poetry in perfume.

The clear aldehydic opening smells of the sun reflecting off of the snow. Flowers come together and lose their identity, instead becoming a cool, sharp wind. Ancient stone steps, still redolent of the incense burned there for centuries, crawl upward into the heavens.

This may be the most intensely religious feeling perfume I've ever encountered. An incredible beauty.

paulie86
paulie86

Chanel no. 22 is such a breath taking fragrance. Chanel is the house i've always been dedicated to and I think i've finally found my signature fragrance that I can be content with. I kept putting it off to buy this because bills would always come up or something more importannt came along that I had to pay for so I was like this week i'm going to buy it lol. I think it was a sign to pick this up because today is the 22nd, the fragrance is no. 22, and my birthday is the 22nd of november it just occured to me on my way home I was thinking how weird that was lol.

I've sampled this fragrance once before and thought eh it smells like white linen I relize now that I should've been run over by a truck for saying that lol. No. 22 opens with a hefty dose of aldehydes that smells like dusty creamy soap it then dries down to to a gorgeous powdery floral that has a lipstick rose kind of vibe with a vanilla incense undertone. The overall picture I get is fluffy white clouds resting in a bright blue sky on a sunshiney day. To me it smells of a perfume of another era it's simply gorgeous I can see wearing this for the rest of my life. This layers beautifully with les exclusifs gardenia btw lol

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Smells exactly like no.5 - infact I thought they had made a mistake and decanted me the former. It's got the same powdery composition. The only major difference though: much nicer, more complex dry down. I could spend hours lamenting how overrated no.5 is, but no.22 is like Cinderella - the overlooked sister, who isn't given the glam nor glory. Drydown is class: incensy, spicy, a tad mossy and a little bit mysterious. Yes, I like it! Cinderella you can come out and play.

Fleurdamane
Fleurdamane

It is no 5 that is wearing a long black lacy dress and a dark organza veil while walking in a cathedral where incense still lingers in the air

enzyme1
enzyme1

I dont understand why people would like this but not chanel number 5. the two perfumes smell similar to me, 22 is like the sister of 5, the share many of the same features including the beutiful bouquite of flowers on top of a vanilla pedistile.
there are some differences oner of the floral note ( i think lilly of the valley) is more pronounced for a time, and i feel as if no 22 is moving in a different direction than no 5 as it developes, a bit less smooth and assertive on the nose.

I would buy this in a larger size but it is hard to find and expensive. Im still shocked that this has a 4.2 score while no 5 is failing on 3.4, I actually think no5 deserves a 5 star rating and 22 a 4 star rating.

note: I have tested the edt

pfcs
pfcs

I wore this for my wedding in 1973, because I had read that it was traditional for brides. It smelled classy, flowery, but not too bold. Remember, this was when a bride was expected to be reasonably covered and have hair, makeup, nail polish, and perfume that didn't scream "been around the block forty times and letting my boobs hang out at a religious ceremony.!"

ivan.vusurovic
ivan.vusurovic

both are good,but vintage one is much better.if possible try the older versions of it,they are stronger also!

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

a 6.5oz sells on CHANEL.com for 220

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Impossible to find in France ! Even on the french web site.
Just amazing !
I suppose i could buy it in a Chanel boutique in Paris.
The only problem is that i live on the Riviera and i do not come to Paris so easily !
Very very very disapointed !!!! :o(

HazelMae
HazelMae

Chanel No. 22 is the perfume version of tennis whites, maybe a precision-pleated skirt and a Lacoste polo shirt. Worn with a blonde bob that has been cut with a satelite-guided laser. I used to wear a very soft pima-cotton Lacoste tennis shirt as sort of an armor of preppiness against a confusing world. No. 22 could serve the same purpose.

Florals are riding on a wave of soapy aldehydes. After about a half hour to an hour, the most subtle incense note appears and prevents it from being too self-consciously aloof.

BarefootContessa
BarefootContessa

I can't believe I had been missing this one for all these years~!! Was able, by the grace of God, to come to own a brand new bottle of voile, body mist. Waiting for it to arrive was like waiting for a lover...and the smell? It was an amazing experience. I felt weak in the knees, actually. Magnificent! Chanel's Mona Lisa - the BEST Chanel, in my opinion.

This one, together with Sycomore, Bois Des Iles and Cuir De Russie IMO stays at the top of the Chanel Collection. Sort of a pushed to the limit version of N.5. The Huge amount of aldehydes in the opening is almost breathtaking. It's like beeing on top of a 2300 feet mountain and having a deep breath. It takes serious and very solid skills to make a fragrance like this and do it perfectly as it moves on a very dangerous territory that can easily turn into disastrous displacements. Chanel N.22 is the apotheosis of aldehydes fragrances and yet a very elegant and classy-classic perfume.

Ever wondered how aldehydes smell like? Check this out and, at least, you'll end up having bigger lungs. A masterpiece.

I'm sorry but I won't go through the orthodox scent explanation as I think this is the kind of fragrance everybody should at least test.

Hello Dears,
Wow what a wonderfull lady-like scent this is indeed. Very sophisticated classic. Not at all old-schoolish if some might wonder. Pure seduction, the kind You once get tasted you will stay longing more. Elegant for daytime, seductive for romantic nights. Can not compare to any other scent, this is truely one of her kind. Definitely would recommend to everyone give a try.

Just a side note, this has not been discontinued. You can buy it at any Chanel boutique or at Chanel.com.

missymary
missymary

The gentlest aldehyde perfume that I have ever tested, and the most floral girly and pretty. I found it quite similar to, of all things, YSL Y. The vibe NOT the smell)is similar to Kelly Caleche.

If I had to have an aldehyde, this clean and soapy charmer would be it. There's none of that heavy classic aromatic aldehyde sillage that I find rather embarrassing in the usual suspects. This scent wafts light as chiffon from my wrist around myself.

But I can see why Chanel discontinued it. As an aldehyde it's probably too gentle for its own good.

Eventually I could try Les Exclusives and they are all worthy a try for sure, even if all different.
Anyway n.22 was my favourite of all.
The first whif is to die for! I smell a special freshness, cold and clean that open my breath and then delicate powdered flowers and a tenacious slightly woody drydown which lasts forever.
This is not a scent in your face and it's quite understated, but always present as you move around.
Absolutely feminine and freshly ladylike it smells classy and clean, but not your typical laundry clean of these days.
It's weird how it smells SO similar to n.5 yet different and less sharp. I could say they are different versions of the same theme.
The nose is the same after all...
Between the two I much prefer n.22 and I would wear it as a daytime lovely scent to feel cosy and feminine, clean but not overpowering the enviroment around.

calliope07
calliope07

Amazing perfume. Understated elegance. One of my favs of all time, and uber classy.

shabbus
shabbus

I can only review this from a test spray on my arm. 22 has a very strong, blasting opening, like a smooth, impregnable, featureless wall. But very shortly, it morphs into a dignified haughty scent that seems to be (at least on me) devoid of any sexuality at all.This is one of the very few scents that I've worn that has a decent sillage on me. I know that the people around me are smelling it.

It's a scent (along with Chanel 19) that you wear into the boardroom when you need unspoken authority.

The dry down lasts forever. It's not a scent for me to fall in love with, but one to use to my advantage in negotiations. It's a good weapon to keep in your arsenal.

Edit: I have since changed my mind about both this and No 19. I love them both. I've purchased FBs of both and wear them for any occasion, and I have, in fact, fallen in love with them despite my earlier comments.

Kiku
Kiku

This is the most underrated of all the Chanel's, perhaps the most underrated perfume of all. Like most Chanel's, No 22 is so perfectly blended the notes are hard to discern, nothing dominates. It opens fresh, clean, and breezey. It reminds me a lot of Estee Lauder's "White Linen" but with Chanel's characteristic understatement, not with Lauder's typical "blast 'em!" starts. This airy quality softens further in the heart and then something wonderful happens, a note I've never smelled before in a fragrance. It is crisp and a bit dusty, it smells like antique parchment. What cleverness to use such an unusual note! The drydown turns powdery and a little flowery. Lily of the valley definitely, white roses perhaps. Then another odd little note: some burned sugar. Certainly not a sugarbomb but just enough to add a bit of sweetness to an otherwise dry perfume. Luxurious, elegant, sophisticated, and thanks to a few unique notes, intriguing. Longevity is incredible. A must have.

kosmoskukka

Ahh, I love coromandel, BUT I Love this One too ***<3<3<3*** Huge Lady like perfume. Chanel can not do wrong imho. I have no words for this one. If You people know how it feels to get wordless... and just enjoying beautifull scent on Your wrist... this is huge PURE, heavenly pure perfume. Thats all I get in my mind from No 22. ahh.. and if You are get known some numerology... number 22 tells also something ;)*gigles*

TillyWave
TillyWave

I've only worn this for one day, so these are my initial impressions...

Goes on very aldehyde as stated, but I really enjoy that phase, the blend is both bitter-sweet-soapy. Lasts for about 15 minutes. The heart is a floral blend that is very warm, I've heard people say 'white' but I haven't gotten that yet. Drydown: very vanilla, a tiny hint of a rich incense, and sandalwood.

All in all a simple fragrance, but one with distinct phases. Slight sillage, but this scent is so elegant and pretty that its personality needs refinement, and not be a 'look at me' type of thing.

Only complaint is that the lasting power on me is only about 4-6 hours. Hangs on to clothes longer. How I wish this came in EDP concentration.

Hard to believe that this was created in 1922. It's impossible to say how it had changed in almost 100 years, but I'm glad it's still here. I do think that No. 22 is a simple scent, but there is something about it that makes you love it...

mediterranean
mediterranean

OMG! What a lovely perfume.It has undoubtedly Ernext Beaux´s signature.The aldehydes here are more subtle than in chanel5 which makes it less airy but it has the same charm.Also in the dry down I can smell the vanilla clearly so it is sweeter than chanel5. There is something here that comes and goes,must be the jasmin that makes it very feminine.I would not call it intense, in fact the dry down is soft and really elegant. This one talks about good taste, old money and beautiful manners.If I had to choose from one of the perfumes Ernest Beaux composed for Mademoiselle Coco I would not know which one to keep. They are all utterly beautiful and in my opinion this bond between the designer and the perfumist was unbeateable.

Chanel No.22 is much prettier and ten times sexier than Chanel No.5.

No.5 is like sharp baby powder and old cosmetics, whereas No.22, although powdery as well, has a beautiful array of floral accords, smokey incense and bourbon vanilla.

I can really smell the ylang ylang in this fragrance, along with the vanilla and the lily of the valley. These combined notes gives this scent a classically feminine appeal.

It's a confident scent with a touch of youthfulness, particularly with the sweet nuances. I initially detested aldehydes when I was younger, however since reaching my 20's, powdery scents are classified by me as being sexy scents.

Chanel No.22 is very white, but nowhere near being innocent. It brings to mind the feeling of being prim and proper but flirtatious at the same time.

The powder in this fragrance is less alarming than some aldehydic fragrances I've tried. It has some similarities to the beautiful D&G Women (the one with the red cap), which I also adore.

The sillage and lasting power is commendable, as is its ability to work well with any kind of skin chemistry. I highly recommend this classic Chanel masterpiece.

armaniboy
armaniboy

Goodness!I love this fragrance such a wonderful and intense scent. it immediately reminded of no5. The saleslady told me it is unisex. I bought it. Its feminine! ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS. ;-)

Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22 by Chanel 4.22 out of 5 based on 392 ratings and 67 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22 by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Exclusifs de Chanel No 22 by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.