Designers » C » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore Chanel for women

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore Chanel for women
dislike

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore Chanel for women Pictures

Sycomore by Chanel is a woody floral musk fragrance for women. Sycomore is a new fragrance and it was introduced in 2008. The noses behind this fragrance are Jacques Polge and Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features vetiver, sandalwood, aldehydes, tobacco and violet.

Vetiver Sandalwood Aldehydes Tobacco Violet Cypress Juniper Pink Pepper Spicy Notes

Encre Noire
Black Vetyver Cafe
Vetiver

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore Fragrance Reviews

JaiTee
JaiTee

Sycomore has a very smokey, earthy opening -- I can even feel it hit the back of my throat. It makes me think of witches, medicine women who know what plants and herbs to use to help or harm others.

The drydown is quite different. The smoke wafts away, and a breezy sandalwood takes over. It's almost quite fresh compared to the smoke.

An amazing scent that takes you on a journey from darkness to light. It's quite unusual and has already lasted half the day and is still going strong.

At times, I still get a taste of smoke. It reminds me of 10 Corso Como, too.

Michael1962

Sycomore blended with Tom Ford Santal Blush = amazing :)

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

I am interested in this fragrance, but I don't think I'm willing to shell out $160 for an EDT

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

As much as I love vetiver in fragrances, this one was the worse one I tested. Too heavy and smoky, and frankly very plain smell. Nothing is happening with this fragrance over time - dull vetiver all the way after the smoke is gone. Veto.

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

At first I didn't get it, but after letting it sit I realize that, as someone stated earlier, this may be the most masculine feminine perfume ever. The vetiver reminds me of something I cannot put my finger on. I actually don't smell anything feminine about this whatsoever. I definitely don't hate it but I'm not sure I would be able to find an occasion to wear this. Maybe to a bonfire or something, but a Chanel perfume would be a bit pretentious on such an occasion, I think.

marios4
marios4

What a strange, on my skin i detect especially vetiver a little bit smoky (but very good) mixed with grapefruit or bergamot (like Caramelle's rewiew), but pheraps the citrusy impression could be the wet aspect of the vetiver. On my skin this could be a perfect "all day, all year" fragrance, very classy and refined, but very easy to wear, also in the hot season, very elegant, but not for teen agers.

PAK
PAK

An earthy, sensual, deeply stirring fragrance with a heart of cypress and wood . Intensely smoky as well as vetiverish (lots of vetiver. I consider this as a very elegant and luxurious smell, richly masculine, sophisticated and elegant! A must for every wardrobe that favors a nice vetiver!

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

Chanel`s Les Exclusifs Sycamore is probably the most Masculine Female perfume ever produced... This is really a guy perfume. Bone dry, very smoky, earthy from all those roots and Italian Cypress, and just a smear of Violet. Surprisingly, with all that burnt earth, Syacmore is not dark, more along the lines of dark Green and Brown... But it can get heavy if you accidentally bathe in it, oops! Very natural and smoky Vetiver in the forefront for the entire time with just a tad of Tobacco, Violet, and Sandalwood. The Juniper Berries, Cypress, Aldehydes and Spices are only present during the opening for the first hour or so with maybe some Pink Pepper, but Sycamore softens to a balmy and smoky base. This is the powerhouse of the entire Les Exclusifs line. It has nuclear tenacity and choking sillage. You almost have to spray and walk thru. Honestly, this juice is insanely strong, right up there with Joop! Homme. Projection pumps out strongly for atleast 6 hours or so with moderate application only becoming a skin scent well past 12+ hours, quite impressive! Longevity is stupid... Even after 2 baths, I can still smell this juice. My only gripe being is that Sycamore is almost too linear for my liking, I love it for it's truest rendition of natural Vetiver and earthy smokiness, but it never really develops or changes, but I'm okay with that due to Sycamore having probably the best tenacity in a perfume I've yet to experience. It's very beautiful and classy and a high quality juice with no synthetics. If you're a Vetiver fan, definitely pick up Sycamore, it's worth the coin. Buy the 75ml, because the 200ml will sour before you make it halfway thru the flacon, and as for that Lalique Encre Noire comparison? Please... That`s like comparing a Volkswagen Rabbit to a Porsche GT3.

Eos
Eos

Sycomore is not for me. For some reason my skin is pulling an immense amount of pepper out of this scent. Its basically a large dose of pepper and vetiver with a pinch of tobacco. The scent is achingly dry and hot, almost like dried vegetation being warmed by the sun past the point of dehydration and almost to the point where spontaneous combustion is imminent. The vetiver has a strange quality that kind of smells like preserved lime in this. IMO you've got to be the most self-assured of women to carry it off and not have the scent wear you.

On the plus side, it does smell wonderful on my husband! Much more balanced, less peppery and more woody and complex.

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

This is near perfection. I own close to a dozen vetiver-based sents, but this one is the most ethereal. It is simple, but profound. The Dryest Vetiver + the Creamiest Sandalwood = Sycamore. The ideal scent for the Autumn and one I can't live without. Luca Turin's review of this one is dead on.

rowanwood
rowanwood

I got this as a decant because of the "Encre Noire but better reviews" since I adore my Encre Noire, but I like to experiment...and well, it IS like Encre Noire almost exactly, but with a hint of sweetness. Sort of as if I layered my Demeter Almond under Encre Noire. But it's only been 2 hours...and its just gone. It's like I never put it on in the first place. With Encre? Its still there 12 hours later. Not worth the money. Not even close.

Update: I tested the layering mentioned...and that's it. Demeter Almond + Encre Noire = Sycomore with more longevity and better silage. It's a winning combo.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Honestly I do not get this at all. Smells like wet paint to me.

hithereimdan
hithereimdan

Very very similar to Lalique Encre Noir. A little sweeter, a little richer, a little easier to wear. Both amazing scents. You definitely get what you pay though!

rum
rum

Having purchased Sycomore, I am delighted to be reviewing it.

'A woody fire on the beach' is how this has been described before and it is definitely what drew me to sample it in the first place. I like woody scents, in fact I think now that my nose is more trained, I can safely say that I like vetiver, patchouli, cedarwood and sandalwood. This fragrance has all of the above and without a doubt vetiver is in the heart, in the opening and the base.

Based on past experiences, vetiver is often blended with citruses and to a lesser extent with other less-common notes such as tobacco. Sycomore goes against both of these trends and blends with other woods and juniper berries. The result is an unbelievably luscious dry-down and a very smoky opening. I am not too keen on the opening but it is still reminiscent of that wood fire on the beach - a picture that reminds me of corn on the cob roasted on coal just by the beach, being enjoyed right after a barbecue. Very nicely done and much more bearable than other smoky scents. A wonderful faint woody scent remains on your clothes even a day after wearing it, which seems to call out to you 'wear me again today!'.

Finally, I a brief word about the packaging (and I rarely do this): this is just what 'exclusive' should mean. Everything from the elegant box to the magnetic cap on top, to the sleek, straight lines of the bottle and the simplistic labelling make this a unique and refined fragrance to own. Expensive to get hold of (you can only get it in the boutiques), this is easily my favourite Chanel (it's also my only Chanel) and puts to shame all those other cheap attempts at 'doing' a vetiver scent. Simple, refined, perfection!

henri345que
henri345que

A Vetiver focused fragrance done by Chanel. Sycomore makes me think of winter days, and something on its dry leafy woodiness it`s cozy in an expected way - like a dark green wool sweater. The vetiver here lacks the leathery/rubberized aspect that you sometimes see on vetiver fragrances, and seems to focus more on the dry, green inky part of it. The violet extends the leafy side of vetiver, while the tobacco and sandalwood creates a smoky and relaxed background that it`s there just to support the main aroma of vetiver. The pink pepper is the part that i only get sometimes, with a discreet sweetness wich usually go unnoticed on my skin. Sycomore is very minimalistic, dark, intense and longlasting, and one of the les exclusifs that i see beeing more appreciated by Man than Woman.

AmusedMuse
AmusedMuse

A gorgeous Twin Peaks treegasm in a bottle. A bit dark and mysterious for day use. Everyone nearby wants to get a bit closer it seems. I adore this one.

Michael1962

Lucky enough to get this gem as a Christmas present.
Smooth light but earthy vetiver and creamy sandalwood with real Chanel quality in the composition.
Just perfect.

ssyed1
ssyed1

I had the opportunity to sample Sycomore when I was in NYC and I wasn't all that impressed. I did, however, end up purchasing a bottle because my girlfriend really enjoyed how it smelled on me. After about a week of wearing it, though, I deeply regret that decision.

Sycomore has very little projecting power and quickly turns into a skin scent. The scent itself is very nice (I can only pick out the vetiver and a fleeting sandalwood note) but it doesn't really "wow" me and so I don't think it deserves the hefty price tag. Then again, this is the middle of winter and I suspect Sycomore was made for the spring...

Michael1962

Sycomore,for mine,draws an immediate and favourable comparison with Dior's La Collection Couturier Parfumer Vetiver.
Both share a full bodied,grassy and honest yet sweet vetiver characteristic,except Sycomore appears less linear with the addition of a creamy sandalwood and slight tobacco undertone in place of the coffee note in Dior's offering.
I feel it is more unisex than stated above with a slight bent towards the masculine side although the right woman would be able to carry this off with aplomb.
Very sophisticated and classy and like Dior perfect for summer but would have a brilliant cosying effect for the cooler months.
Truly exquisite and sublimely refined and definitely full bottle worthy.

janjanjan
janjanjan

There is an effervescent quality to lots of Chanel perfumes that I don't care for. Some folks like that bubbly sparkle (of aldehydes?) but to my nose it lends an irritating chemical edge. Which is why wearing Sycomore was like wearing a sweater I should adore - vetiver, tobacco, spices and woods in a seamless mix. And yet it itches me so! I don't want fizzy chemicals amidst all this earthiness.

If you don't mind the signature sparkle this is certainly my favorite Chanel so far. I got several compliments test driving the sample, folks noted it matched their notions of me well and was quite pleasing. Gonna take another lap in it and see if it still bothers.

Doesn't it hurt more when something is near perfection but needs a tweak than when it's a total scrubber?!

Castor
Castor

Yes, it is true: it does smell like Encre Noir. Vetiver, the rooty-lke one with iso e super. I tried to blend it at home, the result was a rootier vetiver, bold, brash and longlasting. Encre Noir, I have to admit it, is not so brash nor so bold as mine. After all, it was blended by a proffesional nose, not by a perfumist-wannabe.

What about Sycomore? A fellow perfumist aficionado traced an analogy based in food: sushi from a mass market brand and that of a fancy restaurant. True, the analogy appplies when compared to Encre Noire.

Sycomore is better blended, it feels gentler, not bold at all, softer, more feminine. It has the green notes found in vetiver, without its earthy, rooty persona. I can't smell the aldehydes, so prevalent in other Chanels, nor the rest of the notes. In that sense, it feels a tad linear. Of course it is enjoyable, more even so in its citrics notes that I can get in the mid notes.

Don't think of this as a feminine, the way Bois des Isles feels when compared to Egöiste: in the first one, the floral notes are well marked. The second one feels masculine because of the presence notes widely used in masculine scents.

Thus, if you want to indulge in a better qualty Encre Noire and don't mind paying the hefty price, this is for you. If you are a woman, this will fit the bill better than its bolder version. You won't make a statement with this one, but rest assure, you will enjoy it. And if you are a man, you will pull it off, specially in the Summertime. I can imagine it being worn with a seersucker suit, white shirt, regimental tie, blue top siders and a straw hat.

One more remark about the basenotes: Encre Noir's are sort of generic, not too nice, to say the truth. This is not so in Sycomore. I imagine this one to be worn with more informal clothes, or with a dark colored suit in a context of very hard negtiations. Yes, while this one makes a statement, Sycomore is for making friends in a formal yet relaxed get together.

carolcabbagerose
carolcabbagerose

I agree that this perfume is not a sweet feminine spray. It is the opposite end of sweet and sugary. Strong, long lasting, confusing. It is for day or night and once i bought it none of my others scents would do. I fell Madly in love with this..even more so as whenever I wear it I get asked what are you wearing it is gorgeous. I have watched women walk into the room sniffing the air, oohing and arrring…what is that wonderful smell. So it works. But don't tell, it is to be kept a special secret, just for you.
When I said confusing…what I meant is, that it is masculine in my opinion. I love that about it. When a women confuses those around her as to whether her aroma is is for the boys or the girls…it makes it all the more fun. It is expensive but worth it. It is exclusive and that is even better….keep the mystery..x

sussex2
sussex2

Once the delicious top notes have faded Sycomore is noticeably similar to Encre Noire. The cyprus note is not as sharp in the Chanel and the whole effect is a bit softer and more rounded. At twice the price comes a small but definite increase in quality and refinement - the way it goes with most luxury products.

As Alan Partridge might be heard to quip: "lovely stuff!"

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

SMOKIN' EVERGREEN

Initially, that is. Maybe 30 minutes in the smokiness disappears and I'm left with a sophisticated green fragrance.

I've yet to sample Encre Noir - so can't compare.

However, if you really like a strong, long lasting smokey green, sample Slumberhouse Nome. It's Sycomore X 10.

For vetiver, my favorite, so far, is Creed's Original.

ps. I think Sycomore can be easily worn by both men and women.

ranchorita
ranchorita

Chanel's Sycomore is the most sumptuous version of vetiver, to my nose. Juniper and cypress are quite prominent for me, early, but the drydown seems almost a straightforward vetiver, and I absolutely adore it. Sillage is rather close and won't overwhelm those around you, and the longevity is good and sustained, but not overpowering, either. Love this, but I think I'm going to love smelling it on Le Boyfriend even more. The top notes seem more masculine to me, but I think this will work equally well for any woman who prefers a vetiver-heavy scent. Absolutely stunning with high-quality accords all the way through. I'm tempted to recommend this as a safe blind-buy for people who love vetiver and have the patience to wait for the dry down. Stunning.

Veteverian
Veteverian

Sycomore, Les Exclusives de CHANEL

Sycomore is universally described as a vetiver and sandalwood combination. Imagine how vetiver smells. Now imagine the scent of sandalwood. Now mix those two in your imagination. Did that? Good. What you got probably smells nothing like Sycomore. Yes, Sycomore has a dominant vetiver note. And yes, the vetiver rests on a base of deep, creamy sandalwood, which is impossible to miss in this fragrance. But taking vetiver oil, and mixing it with some sandalwood (Australian or Mysore) will not give you anything close to the masterpiece that is Sycomore. What you will lack are: an enormous depth; a tasteful balance; a fleeting smokiness; an airy lightness; and loads of imagination provoking elements of the brand behind this perfume, not to mention the bottle … what a bottle.

Sycomore is best in the opening. The top notes are sharp, smoky, sweet, but most of all, clear. There is something urban and glamorous about it. The opening is a gust of cold wind on a Friday night in late November, giving you a refreshing slap on the face as you step out of the warmth of your car, and set on your way to wherever the celebration is tonight. It expands your lungs and makes you breath deep, with a full chest. You notice a sweetness to it, which reminds you that the holidays are coming. As you walk, you see the mannequins in the department store windows and pretty people on the streets.

While widely perceived to be linear, I have to say that Sycomore makes a big change about 15 minutes in, when it enters the mid notes. Specifically, the chest expanding burst of whatever aroma chemicals (aldehydes? Iso E Super?) dies down, and it feels like somewhere along the way you had a change of plans, and instead of an evening of alcohol and dancing, you spent the night in the comfort of someone’s home (your own?) and good company.

In the mid notes, vetiver comes out stronger, but never overpowers the creamy and sweet sandalwood base. At this point this scent is very well balanced, with a little smokiness, a little sweetness, a little freshness, and a little woods. It stays this way for the next 6 hours on my skin.

It is perfectly pleasant, and irresistible. There isn’t a single unpleasant element in it. Every molecule that enters your nose is aimed straight for the pleasure centers of your brain, and for the higher levels of your imagination. There is nothing carnal or wild about it. It makes you think of being a better man, and having a better, quieter, more meaningful life.

Overall, this is a staple in my wardrobe. It is terrifically composed, publicly accessible, and easy to wear. I deeply regret that the opening does not last forever - those top notes are indescribable.

veteverian.wordpress.com

jhitt793
jhitt793

I was really excited to try out this fragrance after I had seen it included in a number of top 10 fragrance videos on YouTube. It certainly did not disappoint. This is a vetiver based scent unlike any other. It opens with a vegetal and smoky dampness, as though one is standing under a mossy canopy of trees after a rain shower. Ethereal aldehydes sweep gently through, and blend beautifully with the subtle violet flower. The included spice notes are added to underline the soft peppery quality of the vetiver and tobacco mixture. I love this for fall, and plan on investing in a bottle soon. (90)

lastgoodday
lastgoodday

a rich, smoky, spicy vetiver composition that has much more oomph than most of the other chanel exclusifs (although i adore several of the others). however, in line with the elegance of the exclusifs, sycomore eschews the overt earthy facets of vetiver, instead going for a drier, smokier, woodsier composition that becomes a bit sweeter over time. definitely skews masculine, but of course that will not stop me from wearing it. ;^)

lisa o
lisa o

big love.
it's so grand. I have to pull myself together not to switch back to perfume-monogamy...
(and hell no! I don't find it similar to encre noire!)

EDIT concerning the above comparison: SYCOMORE and ENCRE NOIRE smell of vetiver, right. and vetiver is generally likely to overpower other notes if used as a strong key-note, but SYCOMORE has a gentle sandalwood and softly sweet violet- vibe, that ENCRE NOIRE completely lacks. SYCOMORE is much warmer, spicier and softer all in all. ENCRE NOIRE is straighter, cooler, has this well-known easy to identify iso-e-super part, these distinctive metallic and quite sour "inky" notes. and btw, I love both, SYCOMORE a tad more, because it's easier to think as a feminine perfume. it includes aswell a soft cologne-like note, that I only discovered after actually wearing the lightly musky chanel-cologne quite often. both have something common in their bases.
I would really like to claim the thesis that EN and Sycomore don't even smell like the same vetiver (haitian/ java/ reunion, sycomore smells more specific and encre noire like a mix), but unfortunately I can only guess. so I have to check it out to be sure- if someone knows, please write!

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

To date this is the finest Vetiver fragrance I have tried. It is simple and classy, understated and refined. It is unisex although perhaps slightly more suited to a man. It is not heavy or rich but has good longevity and a certain subtle warmth. It is not challenging and is easy to wear. After the drydown it is a consistent and fairly linear scent. It is all about vetiver with a very subtle smooth undertone of sandalwood. Projection and sillage are modest and it is 'well mannered'. You forget you are wearing it but every now and again you get a waft of vetiver fragrance that is charming. Perfect for work or casual and could easily become my signature scent. Some people compare it to Encre Noir. Apart from the prominent vetiver note, to me at least, they are very different in character. Sycamore is classy and seems more natural, whereas Encre Noir is more brash with a very prominent cyprus note, and a certain synthetic vibe in there. Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle is closer, and is perhaps a bit more intense and a little greener and 'brighter', and is very pleasing, but for me Sycamore has a more pleasant base. The House of Chanel does vetiver...lovely.

Jpon
Jpon

When I sprayed it on me at the store it was a delight from the beginning to the end, during a whole day and night. I love sandalwood, and Samsara is one of my favorites, and this perfume was all about sandalwood to me and very feminine. However, when I started using a sample from the Chanel boutique, I could not believe it was the same stuff. I don't hear any sandalwood, just an unpleasant smoke together with mint, that linger and don't evolve in anything else for hours, staying as a heavy masculine fragrance. The culprit might be in the difference of the climate in Las Vegas and where I live. It reminds me again about to not hurry buying perfume after trying it for the first time. Still, I love N5 always and everywhere.

SneezeFreeze
SneezeFreeze

Something must have changed recently about this (reformulation or whatever). Hey it smell damn good from start to finish - but that's like 2 hours. Not worth the price tag.

miticothor
miticothor

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 2 (it's not bad)

Sillage: 0

Time length: 0 (30 min., max 1 h. but very very near skin)

130 Euro per 75 ml? Once again, I'm without words...!!

Quality/price? 0.:(

Scent: 4 (It's ok, very good)

Sillage: 1

Quality/Price: 2.5

Caramelle
Caramelle

Sycomore is a perfume that smells good from start to finish to me.It's dark,but not heavy.Surprisingly it works really well in hot weather.There is a fresh top note,possibly citrus, but it's not piercing.
Shortly after the top notes are gone,I get a creamy nutty warmness which is slightly sweet.I adore this phase.Later the nuttiness subsides and the drydown is woody and quiet and easy to wear.
This is a perfume that works great year around and on all occasions.I love to wear it on difficult days at work because it smells professional to me and still comforting.

aschiffm
aschiffm

earthy transparent and green vetiver. only slightly smoky to me, more just of a natural green scent and pretty masculine. i actually prefer chanel no 19 way more in terms of green scents...more edgy and mysterious and more interesting.

skipster
skipster

It seems almost impossible to comment on Sycomore without mentioning Encre Noire. Traditions must be obeyed, so here is my personal experience - appropriately copypasted from my Encre Noire review:

After having enjoyed Encre Noire during almost two years I finally got the chance to sample the hard-to-get Sycomore in Chanel’s famous Paris shop in 31 Rue Cambon. First impression was ”This is just Encre Noire – what’s the point?”. But after an hour I realized that the feeling was very different in spite of the similar basic idea.

Encre Noire is dark, brooding, earthy, masculine, and very linear. Sycomore is warmer, friendlier, more anisic, unisex, shimmering, and feels more complex, unquestionably due to more exclusive ingredients.

I decided to buy Sycomore in spite of the rather hefty price tag, and the two scents will now be my trustful companions for years to come. Encre Noire will remain one of my winter favorites, when I want to make the best of gloom and snow. Sycomore will be for whenever I want that little extra treat for myself (and my wife can use it too).

Whether Sycomore is worth the extra money is up to you. Moi? Je ne regrette rien.

Roge'
Roge'

When i was visiting Vegas, i stopped by the Chanel boutique in the Bellagio. I thought about all you Sycomore/Encre Noire fans too. I read the reviews and heard the rumors and i must say....Sycomore does smell identical to Encre Noire. For once, the people got it right. Usually, the comparisons are waaaaaay off. Just from the opening alone, that familiar " Elmer's glue note" dominates the top. Sycomore was sprayed on paper so therefore i can't comment on longevity or projection.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

This is Encre Noir - except the Encre Noir lasts a lot longer and costs far less.

hippopotamus
hippopotamus

Yes! Best vetiver I've found so far. Smoky, but fresh, and I get some acidity, like rhubarb or something, in there too. Truly exclusif, in both quality, longevity, composition and availability.

cezarmac
cezarmac

Please allow me to do a simple complementary on all those beatiful reviews.I see nobody talking about The duo Christopher Sheldrake and Jacques Polge.How could Sycomore not to be a masterpiece?Behind those "guys" we have Ambre Sultan,Borneo,MKK,Coromandel,31 Rue cambon is it okay for you?I mean no matter which group it belongs the result will be nothing else than flawless.
Get it soon as possible :)

darrshan77
darrshan77

Review of DARRSHAN

First of all this frag is for the vetiver lovers only.

now i just fell in love at the very first sniff itself by far the best vetiver perfume in recent times, guerlain vetiver is too much and encre noir by lalique is very close to skin wereas sycomoe is very balanced and class it smells perfect with a little sweetness in it and still the vetiver is prominent and stands out softly 2thumbs up

girasolina
girasolina

After all these poems by the divine comedy that describe this as the vetiver Avatar, I try and say to get off from the ship!
About this scent I can only say good things, but maybe we are talking about Chanel and how we juggle?! makes me so angry when people's passion is blind.
But are we really so stupid to spend so much money for a perfume that is certainly very good, but synthetic and not complicated.
I guarantee that it is identical to his brother "minor" (less only in the price) that lasts exactly the same time.
Syco, Syco, at least if you could stay on the skin for a little more ...
Betray you with Lalique Encre Noir, without a second thought.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I wore this the other day and was surprised by how familiar this scent was to me. I had smelled these notes before, but not in a perfume but rather at a restaurant. I'm on the wood deck of one of my favorite restaurants looking out at the water,in front of me is a Bloody Mary and shrimp cocktail with sauce. There is an essence of wood from the deck below me, a note of spice from the horseradish in the cocktail sauce, and a vegetative green note from the celery in my drink. In the background something a little burnt, from the exhaust of cars passing by. The vetiver here is very true to the essential oil. It is a unique fragrance, but one I cannot wear without getting hungry.

onaluna
onaluna

This is dry? Somky? It smells like a synthetic, overly sweet nut to me. Maybe it's some synthetic "creamy" sandalwood note? At any rate, it shares that ugly, sickly, cloying note with other "masculine" fragrances. Whatever it is, it keeps me from enjoying anything else about the fragrance.

JourneymanDave
JourneymanDave

Based on a decant wear test: Opens with a quick rush of indistinguishable woody/green notes, settling quickly to a straight up vetiver; and then that's it, so far as I get.

Reminds me of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver a bit, with the pungency of the vetiver dialed back just a notch, and a tad smoother. However, it projects less, and is overall a less-interesting frag. It is probably equal to TFGV in my eyes, but not superior, and won't be replacing it in my wardrobe. Or Guerlain Vetiver. Or Vetiver Extraordinaire. Or pretty much any other respectable vetiver frag.

Decent longevity, about 5hrs for me. Not offensive, so office-safe, although not overly formal, so I would pick my spots to wear this one. For the price, it wouldn't be a go-to for casual wear. I'm honestly a little lost on where this would be my #1 choice.

If this were the only vetiver I had, it'd be just fine. Because I have others that do the job as well though, this one won't be a FB purchase.

jht4060
jht4060

Chanel Sycomore is a beautiful creamy vetiver with elegance written on every facet of its accord and bottle. The scent is very nearly linear to my nose and is composed predominantly of a sweet vetiver, creamy sandalwood, and pink peppercorn. "Sweet" vetiver as opposed to smokier vetivers - don't expect Sycomore to smell candy sweet. There is a perfect balance between the dark rooty vetiver note (with that indescribable something that makes us love it) and creamy refined sandalwood (more likely Javanol), with some pink peppercorn and a touch of violet brightening the composition. All those other notes may be there, but for me they are worked into the fabric and I don't pick them out as individuals. Sycomore is creamier and brighter and has a stronger vetiver note than that mainstream paragon of vetiver, Encre Noir; I love them both. The Sycomore bottle has the understated simplicity that Chanel uses for their high-end perfumes and a solid feeling magnetic cap that I love to snap back onto the bottle (it sounds odd, but if you have one of the bottles you will know what I mean).

Sycomore exudes elegance and sophistication. It makes me feel tall, slender, calm, and aristocratic even when I am wearing jeans and a t-shirt and wishing I could lose 10 lbs. I can always hope someone else is fooled - perhaps to them my image is overlaid by a faint tuxedo mirage. We all need our dreams.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

so excited to finally get a bottle of this, and im underwhelmed. i dont know if i had built up expectations impossibly high, or that encre noir is a hard act to follow. sycomore is an indisputably great scent, but somehow not any improvement on or particularly diffeent than, encre noir. perhaps if i had smelled sycomore first i would feel differently but encre noir came out in 2006, sycomore in 2008 (draw your own conclusions) maybe a lateral distinction as opposed to a heirarchical one between the 2 frags. the aldehydes are there subtlely, but really not a whole lot else is different. i was thinking before i bought sycomore that it would be to encre noir as creeds original vetiver (which i LOVE) is to muglers cologne (which i dont even really like)as luca turin has written "PUTTING A MAGISTERIAL GLOSS ON" (btw his writing is fun, but not to be taken as the gospel truth) i love encre noir and plan on selling this bottle simply to use the funds to buy something else because encre noir already covers this base so well

williamvargas
williamvargas

when I started discovering fragrances again, watching some of the videos of reviewers on you tube, this was my first bottle purchase, was able to find a good size bottle that someone was selling because they had used some of it, I had some samples from chanel.
costly for me but I thought it looks like a good buy, it was legit.this has to be just one of the most beautiful scents I have come across, I used to wear it more often, it wasn't my wife's cup of tea, she thought it would smell better on a man..i used to get some very nice comments...wow, what is that scent? who is wearing cologne? .manly, but as sweet as a man could smell and still smell masculine..if you love vetiver and some earthy smokey scent along with it.almost reminded me of Johnson's baby shampoo. probably not a good comparison but it had that clean sweet scent like that. and the longevity is amazing ..a breathtaking scent..i used to spray some on each wrist and one shot to my chest, that was all I needed.forget how wonderful this is. there are certainly a lot of vetivers out there. I love lots of them , but I will always come back to this one and I always will use this one for a point of reference.

maltayeb

Is it good for night wear, dates?

aveilhe
aveilhe

There are only two fragrances that have nearly brought tears of beauty to my eyes, and Sycamore is one of them (the other was Malle's Portrait of a Lady).

This is the most stunning use of Vetiver that I have ever had the pleasure to inhale: deeply earthy, yet soft and sensual. Green, nutty, smoky...yet also creamy and elegant. The Vetiver is present from the start but becomes more pronounced the longer it warms on the skin.

The aldehyde, pepper, and juniper top notes are sharp and dry, but the sandalwood brings a light creaminess to the overall effect and lends a diffuse softness that is rare in a Vetiver-heavy scent. The sandalwood and cypress also contribute an overall woodiness to the fragrance, and in combination with the tobacco, lend a smoky nuance.

The addition of spice notes create a fragrance that can only be described as smoldering.

An absolute stunner and a must for Vetiver aficionados!

maltayeb

Is it good for night wear, dates?

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Sycomore is definetely the best vetiver out there IMHO. The vetiver is very proiminent giving a dark, dry, rooty woodines to the composition and Its very smoky and pepery too, almost incensy, I guess its because of the tabaco and the pink pepper. It´s not as angular or out there as it may seem though. The sandalwood and the aldehydes cut all the pointy corners making it very confortable an cousy to wear. Often people compare it to Encre Noir, they are indeed similar but Sycomore is much more polite and elegant.
A must in every vetiver lover collection.

5 out of 5

Mistawho
Mistawho

The vetiver, iris, sandalwood, aldehyde mix acts as a magic carpet ride to destinations unknown and most likely to be exciting. The aura created by this scent can generate a transparent glow that affects others perception of the wearer's nobility.

spoombung
spoombung

This is all about Vetiver and not much else. I smell 90% Vetiver and a very small element of other nicely blended ingredients. It's a lot like Malles's Vetiver Extraordinare.

Elegant and quite masculine, IMO.

nada
nada

I was hoping for something more refined and unique after all this fuss about Chanel les exclusives. But nothing new - exact copy of encre noir as everyone notices.

SuperUltraFabulous
SuperUltraFabulous

Take poblano chiles and roast them directly over flame. The piquant aroma of charred vegetal flesh wafting in the air has been bottled as Chanel Sycomore. (Be on the lookout for Chanel’s next Exclusif, Chanel Frijoles)... :-)

Sycomore is rich to the point of being sticky on the skin. The vetiver note by itself is bitter and spicy, and this is where Chanel has failed, bitter notes of red pepper and spice are added ancillary notes to an already bitter and spicy center stage performer, the vetiver. The tobacco, sandalwood, saffron, juniper notes are realistic but do nothing to liven the mood. Sure, Sycomore is replete with realistic notes and fabulous note separation but more is required. I have tried a few vetivers and the vetiver note in this perfume is the most organic/earthy and natural smelling of them all, even beating out Vetiver Extraordinare which is blurry by comparison. Only Guerlain is the closest in three dimensionality (although last time I tried it, I got a petroleum vibe). Nevertheless, where is the joie de vivre?

Perhaps your skin chemistry will enliven this fragrance and save it from the gothic gourmand category, but for me there are better choices. For starters, I would look at Chanel's own Allure Homme Blanche. Citrus notes keep the vetiver from being too cold and lifeless, there's even the red pepper note.
Guerlain also does a excellent vetiver with touch of warmth from citrus notes...but watch out for the petrol. Am I forgetting someone? Lalique! Encre Noire does not have the same organismal rendition of vetiver, but it's very excellent. More importantly the fragrance has life. Sure, the woodnotes are heavily supported by Iso E Super but this nets you incredible projection and longevity. There is a greeness that makes this fragrance exhilarating too. From beginning to end Encre Noire is the archetype in all meaningful parameters.

Try Sycomore then buy Encre Noire.

Gashtasb
Gashtasb

Save your buck and get yourself the Encre Noire, smells exactly the same! I checked it out at the Chanel boutique, everything all poshed up of course, I sprayed this and took a sniff, and immediately said this smell exactly like EN, which I loath (to say the least), and the guy helping me got almost offended lol Then Mr Snob went on to explain how the top notes may be similar but the base notes yada yada yada, and at the end I said it again, true but this smells just like EN... and the guy frustratingly smiled lol

Pascal
Pascal

I agree that Sycomore is definately a great piece of art. It is one of the most interesting and creative fragrances I have ever smelled.
But don't get me wrong...

I went into a clinically clean and sober Chanel Boutique in Cannes were everything was first class. But the consultation was unimpassioned and distanced. I payed a fortune - for the fragrance, but as well for all the spectacle around. I got home with this Picasso and admired it.

And soon went back to my good old Guerlain's Vetiver,
satisfying day on day off in an enjoyably simple way.

At first this smelled really woody and soft. Then my nose quickly picked up a rich and smoky vetyver. But my ecstasy was interrupted when I started smelling a lot of sour, acidic, orange or lemon. Memories of Diptyque's sour Vetyverio flooded through my mind, and I started thinking Sycomore was not for me. As time wore on, I started to realize that the sour citrus wasn't bothering me so much because the vetyver was so incredibly smoky; just drop-dead gorgeous, like a uber-sexy brunette with smoked-out cat's eye makeup. It really balances the sourness and makes it much easier for me to like. This is nothing like Diptyque, it's so much better! While this is not my favorite vetyver, I still give it a solid "thumb's up."

havanaman
havanaman

Where can I find this perfume in the Washington, DC area?

silagelover
silagelover

Initially I sprayed this on paper and thought it was really bright and refreshing sandal wood, like tam dao but without the creamy sweetness. There must have been something wrong with my nose that day but I didn't really notice much vetiver. Eventually I decided to wear this to class and since I thought it was a lighter fragrance I sprayed on A LOT. Right away I noticed a blast of aldehydes and very nice realistic sandalwood and a salty note, slowly as it settled I got an increasing amount of molassesey smokey vetiver along with some pepper and spice. Once in class I caught a whiff of what I thought was cannabis and started looking around the room to see who the offender was...turns out it was me. From about an hour into wearing it until it wore off I smelled like kinda like I was walking around with a pocket full of really amazing smelling expensive weed. Overall though I really like Sycamore, it's a crisp and clean yet complex scent that is definitely unisex.

oilizer
oilizer

Syncomore is dominated by vetiver and woody scents. It is very similar to Encre Noir though ambience/presence of the two scents are polar opposites. Sycomore has presence of warm steamy cloud that makes me feel smothered and nauseated where as EN has presence of cool wet dark forest fog that feels mysterious and clean. I feel the relation between Sycomore and EN is similar to relation between Montale Red Vetyver and Terre d'Hermes (though between the latter, I prefer warmer presence of RV). I have to admit it has been awhile since I tried EN and my opinion might be somewhat askewed as I tried EN in outdoors where as I tried Sycomore indoors...

CDGfan
CDGfan

This has been reformulated for sure. I have a 2008 and a 2012 bottle. The 2008 has a strong smoky note due to the Bourbon vetiver used, longevity is excellent.The current formulation lacks that smoky burnt note and has a stronger sandalwood component. The 2008 edition was a stunner 10/10, 7/10 for the reformulation.
I would stick to Encre Noir to be honest.

Tramm
Tramm

I am a die hard 31 Rue Cambon wearer but I occasionally try a different Exclusif. To me, this did not smell like a fragrance for a woman or man. While it is a lovely room fragance, There is no way I would wear this and subject other people to having to put up with me. Sorry, but I just dont get all the positive reviews.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Sycomore is a very elegant and high-class rendition of Vetiver. Other aromas come into play to complement very nicely and exquisitvely the Vetiver aroma, but make no mistake, the star here is a beautiful smell of Vetiver. It will be with you from start to end.

When you smell Sycomore you'll get the impression that you are smelling a very posh fragrance. This is vetiver in tuxedo or a gala gown (depending on sex). The vetiver is smoky and very fragrant. It is contrasted by a sweetness, just the right amount, coming from the background (I detect some sweet spices) and freshened by a light violet aroma. There is a little sandalwood or other woody aromas accompanying the vetiver. These woodsy scents do not stand out a lot, but simply round the vetiver a little bit, making the vetiver woodier and less grassy.

There may be other scents but they are so well blended that I cannot distinguish them individually. In all, this is a vetiver with a surrounding redolence that elevates Sycomore to a very classy, elegant and exuberant place.

When you wear Sycomore, you will feel you are wearing a very opulent and distinguished fragrance. You'll have a taste of real Chanel at its highest class. You are uptown.

I don't know however why Chanel classifies this fragrance as a feminine perfume. At the very least it should be labeled "unisex".

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Sycomore is without a doubt the best Exclusif, a work of art with a beautiful vetiver reconciled tobacco. Aldehydes with a floral tone puts the necessary refinement and chip quality of this wonderful house.
  A sandalwood complementing and giving intriguing and becoming the evolution of Lalique Encre Noire, brighter and richer.
A must have for those addicted to vetiver.

inna borodina
inna borodina

At first, I did not know what to make of it. The strong burned wood smell ironically reminded me of a ... BBQ))) But several months later I tried once more and I love it! I use it daily, in the office too and got a lot of compliments.
The smell is very unusual, I do not think will do well for a younger woman. Can be worn as unisex too.

arxsyn
arxsyn

Other than no18, sycomore was the other eau that really intrigued me when i first discovered chanel's artisanal niche range.

Also it was my first experience with vetiver. So that's what makes it special for me as well. I felt so sophisticated, so put together, exuding a calm competance. Not overly flowery, just green, grassy airy smokiness and a hint of spice. a tiny bit masculine, a little testosterone boost to survive the boardrooms. A great thing to aspire to little as i was, at the tender age of 23.

I definitely aspire to buy a flacon in future because of the wellbeing i feel. Some people moan about reformulations of their favourite vetiver fragrances (rive gauche, anyone?) These people ought to jump ship and get this instead. It will become a new favourite for sure.

And this is a great unisex one, that can be worn anytime, anywhere. There is an easy non fussy effortlessness tothis and should you buy a giant flacon of this, this is a great his and hers perfume that's meant to be shared. Remember, sharing is caring!

fuggerone
fuggerone

rounder than encre noir on the same wavelenght though, love them both maybe prefer encre

djcrybetty
djcrybetty

This is a unisex vetiver, definitely not a typical feminine fragrance, men can wear this too. It is rather dry and peppery, the vetiver is present throughout. I find it more earthy/rooty than woodsy. It is lovely and definitely not a "mainstream" generic scent. Highly recommended if you need something different.

zero kool
zero kool

El Sycomore, es prácticamente un Encre Noire, pero menos agresivo. El vetiver se puede distinguir muy fácilmente, aunque mucho más agradable que en el perfume de Lalique. En este último se puede apreciar una fragancia más oscura y rústica. Como olería la leña en un bosque un día húmedo. La duración, a juzgar por mi primera impresión, es moderada al igual que su proyección.

kida2010
kida2010

If your sitting there mystified as to what this might smell like apart from the descriptions, it really is the same as Encre Noire so if you know that then you dont have to order any samples like did! It is more refined and smoother and a touch more smokey rather than noire's inkyness.

TerryM
TerryM

I love vetiver frags and this is my most favorite. Vetiver Tonka is great, but Sycomore has much more staying power. I can also detect a strong leather accord. This is a wonderful fragrance for both men and woman.

kit1982

The poll is correct. This really reminds me of Encre Noir. But you can notice the difference after few minutes, Encre Noir goes to the direction of clean woody ink smell and Sycomore, by this time, has a dirty woody smoke scent.

I like this a lot. This is my travel scent, very versatile.

MademoiselleMaya
MademoiselleMaya

It smells like Le Feu d'Issey on me. Unfortunately, it stays the same the whole time, which is why I prefer Le Feu.

Garyjames
Garyjames

A comfort scent with a dark side.
If it wasn't a touch dry, it would be a perfect fragrance. Full-bottle-worthy, smoky, wonderful vetiver.

PlunketNurse
PlunketNurse

Those who have lived a certain type of live will know, and associate this "deep smoky" smell to the smell of cannabis , or as we call it Marijuana, but more specifically joint ; a mixture of tobacco and Marijuana in its unprocessed form. I do believe it is a mixture of cigarette tobacco and the muted green vetiver in the background drop very reminescent of the oily viscous THC laden plant, the plant itself often dried into a sticky compact state high in resin and tar-ish materials. Though a fascinating scent and a Holy Grail for some, it is one i CANNOT enjoy at all, it is no novelty or happy memory. Try Timbuktu for a bone dry rendition of the same base.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

This reminded me of the smell of an open pine forest and pine cones: fresh, woody zesty with a hint of comfort. Much like the sycomore tree Compared to some of the other exclusifs the lasting power was a bit better. But sillage is still very modest. If the perfume was an era it would be pre-war 1930's: refined and classic. It would make a good daytime office scent, but lacks the calibre to pull any punches.

carpp79
carpp79

Sycomore is my Monday to Friday scent (I spend my weekends at home wearing my PJ, so I try my other fragrances). Just perfect for a work day: dry, classy but simple, and classic, definitely. I wouldn't manage a life without it. Thank God I've stocked up (it's not being discontinued, by the way, just a precaution). Amazing scent. Polge & Sheldrake, you're the best!

pdxhb
pdxhb

In a word: Elegant.

This was astonishing right out of the vial. My only criticism is that it lacks staying power and sillage - but the subtlety of the composition may be part and parcel of that. In comparing to Encre Noir, it's quieter but there is a similar feel overall. On me it's far cooler in temperature effect than Guerlain Vetiver (which is very warm and round in the drydown).

This fragrance reminds me of how a room smells after japanese temple incense is done burning. It opens smoky like lapsang souchong yet is crisp and light; it's a relief that the lightness does not mean 'overly simple' as it progresses. Sandalwood is a facet but sharper with the vetiver which comes rolling in minutes into wearing it. This is airy enough that it wears almost like a citrus, close to the skin. If you like the smokey opening, it could be a good gateway to vetiver.

Hours later after a work day, I still get wafts of vetiver and some spice, but it's subtle and easy to layer an evening fragrance over this. I see wearing Sycomore like a cool grey silk blouse and tailored trousers - sensual and businesslike all at the same time. Sycomore does not shout and can be just as comfortable at the beach on the weekend as it is in a conference room. There is a complexity to the notes which complement the vetiver with an effervescent effect; nearly salty but more seasonless and, if this makes sense, less material. It's definitely not sporty on me but could be worn by a more sporty person well - it's not compromising or forgiving but is quiet enough that only the people you allow near will know just how lucky they are.

I was given a sample of this in a swap but didn't know what it was. At first, it reminded me of a Cabaret or Rose 31 type scent. Clearly, there was plenty of iso e super. After a while I could smell the vetiver. I really dislike these kinds of fragrances, so I hardly ever wear them; hence, my evaluation may seem crude. That evaluation can be summed up as follows: take Cabaret and Encre Noire, combine them. This is smoother and softer, though.

Grottola

It's amazing how time can change one's perspective on things, sometimes. In this case, I'm starting to enjoy Sycomore even more than I did before, probably due to the fact that my friend Matt and I almost recreated the stuff.

We decided to take a chance at making fragrances, and we ordered some stuff, Haitian Vetiver and Iso E Super being two things in particular that we ordered. We were mixing other things we ordered, when I suggested mixing the vetiver with Iso E Super, and lo and behold, and I exclaimed "This smells like Sycomore!"

Excited that I felt like Jacques Polge, and that Matt may have been Christopher Sheldrake, I went home to compare the two fragrances, and that's when I noticed just how high-quality Sycomore is; yes, it has a certain dullness to it, but it's almost like it's lying dark and dormant, like a volcano that's asleep but ready to explode at any moment. It has both saltiness and smokiness; and most of all, a heartbeat.

Now, to think what the result would be if this volcano DID erupt...

EnPassant
EnPassant

Well... Vetiver is a very strange note to me... I don´t like it very much... But here it's so classy and beautiful... Not so dry as Encre Noire!!! And come on people... Sycomore is much much better!!!

There´s an extraordinary vetiver into it... but there´s also an addictive thing that keeps me coming back for more! This is a wonderful fragrance from "The Exclusifs" and my second favorite (Coromandel always first).

For sure *Smelly Beast* is absolutely right!!!

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

I got in on a split on this one..wished I would have gotten more than 10ml maybe I will split this one this fall! This is gorgeous the vetiver in this is like no other I have experienced. It is green yet smokey. It is fresh, creamy, smokey, green...woodsy...just down right beautiful. I may get back to reviewing this one fully but I really want to do it justice. One word TRY!!!!!!!!!

transitionalobjects
transitionalobjects

Sycomore is so beautiful I cannot praise it enough. Lost for words, but I will try. Earthy but sophisticated, crisp but with depth and an alluring weight (but not at all 'heavy'). Suitable for every season, and every occcasion. I know that men do wear Sycomore, but to me and to those I know who know me, it suits a feminine woman too. Worth the search and the price. Unforgetable.

Kamicha
Kamicha

Gorgeous, spaciously green, dry and foresty vetiver. I love how aldehydes work for this scent, giving it a vivid 3D effect - perfect dosage of them with all the benefits, zero headache or granny vibes.

Wearing Sycomore feels like walking a shadowy path through the ancient woods, smelling the twigs and leaves crushing under your feet - a whiff of bitterness in the air gives away the presence of a bog nearby...

Despite of all these foresty connotations the vetiver in Sycomore gets a beautiful, grapefruit-like bitter aroma. Personally I love this facet of vetiver...

It's perfectly contemporary and timeless at the same time. Not a tool for seduction - but an olfactory joyride for sure.

Hilaire
Hilaire

My sample of this was a huge disappointment to me. Maybe it's because I have an odd chemical relationship with Vetiver, but honestly Sycomore is a virtual non-entity on me. I have to cram my wrist right up to my nose to even catch a hint of it.

And what do I smell once my wrist is thus crammed? Iso E-Super. Far be it for me to contradict so many other intelligent reviewers (or indeed Chanel themselves) who talk about the wonderful notes of Sycomore at length, but this smells like Terre d'Hermes EdT after having stood on the wing of a biplane for a few hours to me.

Washed out, a ghost of a perfume.I even suspected I might be slightly anosmic to Vetiver... but I asked others if they could smell Sycomore on me while I was sampling it. They couldn't. A pity.

lalig
lalig

To me Sycomore is a fresh green vetiver, very suitable for a man but to my taste,too green for a woman to wear. and it reminds me of Cristalle eau vert.

noor85
noor85

Encre Noire is way better than Sycomore, EN is kind of fragrance that i would pay hundreds to have a bottle of this masterpiece but wouldn`t pay $110 2.5 oz for sycomore, i`m not against Sycomore i really like it it`s sexy but EN is unbelievabley sexy scent, plus sycomore has very weak projection but good longevity.

kit1982

I have Sycomore and Encre Noir. Sycomore is more refined.

This and Timbuktu are my favorite vetiver fragrance.

Rob Frost
Rob Frost

Sycomore was a interesting experience for me.

I always thought that I liked vetiver very much. I never smelled it in its pure form and therefore I have no actual way of knowing what it smells like - and apparently not every vetiver smells the same.

I own several perfumes that either have vetiver in their name and/or as one of their main ingredients and so I've come to think that I have a pretty good idea of what vetiver smells like: green, fresh, earthy. But I never knew for sure.

Sycomore is said by some to be one of the vetiver fragrances and hence I was excited when I received a sample vial. And boy was I in for a surprise.

I can't say that Sycomore doesn't bear a a remote resemblance to my other vetiver fragrances. There is a faint glimpse in Sycomore of what I love in those other perfumes.

But other than that: Yuck with a capital Y. I hate the smell of Sycomore. To me, it's almost stomach-turning. Green, fresh, earthy? No. Rotting wood.

Is this the true, pure, unmasked smell of vetiver? Or is there just a different kind of vetiver in Sycomore? Or is there something else in Sycomore that makes it smell like it smells?

Update:

I got a decant of Montale Red Vetyver today. While I find it not as bad smelling as Sycomore, there is indeed an unpleasant resemblance.

Strange. I never got this (to my nose) nasty note from, say, Guerlain Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Terre d'Hermès, to name three vetiver-featuring fragrances that I like/love. Maybe the vetiver that these fragrances use is chemically different or from a different geographical origin?

maab
maab

The most exquisite Vetiver I've ever smelled.

maw808
maw808

First, my perspective is that of a Hawaii Vetiver farmer, who anticipates and relishes the bold release of fragrance as a row of Vetiver is harvested. You will be mistaken to believe that all Vetiver smells the same. To my nose, Haitian and Hawaiian Vetiver are smoky, rounder and sweeter/greener; Indonesian Vetiver is earthy/dirty/burnt, with weighty notes of burned tobacco, and; Vetiver from Reunion/Bourbon Islands is linear, pungent, and acrid. I eagerly awaited the release of Jacques Polge's Sycomore and was among the first in line when our Chanel boutique received its shipment. I was not disappointed. Polge's original Sycomore was a beautiful Haitian Vetiver fragrance, remarkably true to this warm, complex essence (Vetiver essential oil is one of the most complex, containing more than 42 different components. If you warm a drop or two of Vetiver EO by rubbing it briskly between your hands, it will release a highly aromatic, satisfying, and long-lasting fragrance). However, given its price and availability, I decided to wait. By the time I'd decided to buy it--and did--Sycomore had been reformulated as a Bourbon Vetiver-based juice. Now I'm stuck with two full bottles of Bourbon Vetiver-based fragrances--Sycomore and Encre Noire--that I abhor!! You've undoubtedly noticed that the overwhelming majority of Vetiver fragrances opens with a citrus accord. However, even a citrus opening cannot soften or distract from a razor-sharp Bourbon Vetiver blast. Sorry, but the new(er) Sycomore--and Encre Noir--are simply nasty.

iivanita
iivanita

to me it smells soo sweeet..its not for men...like it has bergamot in it too...but its not on the list? its not so sofisticated as 31 rue cambon....but i like it so much because of that smoky smell thats really not overwhelming, smells grassy :)
here is from wikipedia:The odor of vetiver oil is described as deep, sweet, woody, smoky, earthy, amber, balsam

thats exactly how this here smells

archieru99
archieru99

This is just simply beautiful. Smells to me of painting a fence with creosote while drinking a cup of Lapsong Souchong tea. Try spraying a little on your pillow for a restful sleep.

jsnat1227

Early Spring. I have a meandering creek through my backyard. I often wonder, where does this creek go? I imagine buying a raft, stocking supplies, and after a substantial rain, I go drifting towards a larger river, towards adventure. That what Sycamore is to me.

Sprintime, rafting through mild adventures on a large creek or a small river, drifting through fields, (often with over hanging trees and vines bearing berries), perhaps with beehives just beyond reach, sharp rocks on the left, and pine trees everywhere on the banks. Solitude and confidence. Sycamore is that, and that's me when I wear it.

Next to Antaeus, this is the greatest Chanel scent. Brilliance, really.

Jason S.
(Ohio)

TillyWave
TillyWave

If you don't love vetiver, you will not enjoy Sycomore. This is one of the best vetiver fragrances out there, it easily stands with Guerlain's Vetiver, although the two compositions are highlighted with different notes.

This scent will change depending on the weather, humidity, etc. On the top there stands a wonderful smoky note, sometimes more campfireish, sometimes more resembling the coals left over, and sometimes downright smelling like something curling out of a Nat Sherman cigarette. The smoke does fade out, though, as it is only a top note.

The rest of the scent is a mixture of sweet, earthy vetiver with occasional swirls of sandalwood. Were they able to put Mysore sandalwood in here? Have they fouund a substitute? Because the sandalwood is of the creamy, sweeet sort, not a dry woody sort. Beautiful.

Lasting power is very good, sillage is minimal but you yourself will be able to smell it all day long.

Another simple but stunning fragrance in the Les Exclusives line. I love this, and if you like these types of notes and are not afraid of things that are not out and out 'feminine' then Sycomore is definetely worth your time.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

I'm absolutely mesmerized by this masterpiece. A warm, sensual, graceful yet confident scent that exudes quality and class. Do yourself a favor and try Sycomore, or else be doomed to a world of mediocre scented fragrances.

Christy2198
Christy2198

I would love to purchace this fragrance, however I am unsure if I could pull such a unique sent. I dont think I ever have an event to wear such a special occasion sent.

Bab
Bab

Vetiver! It's all about the woods. Warm, burning woods and incense smoke. If you love vetiver, you'll crown this the Queen or King of the vetiver perfumes.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Sycomore is all juicy dark greens and lush woods, like walking through a deep dense forest after a storm. I'm delighted to finally sniff a blend where vetiver is front and center, and not just an afterthought. In Sycomore it is lush and wet, like biting into a bitter under ripe fruit. To my nose it's a bit citrusy also, like the calamansi juice I've loved since childhood but minus all the sugar typically thrown into it. As I normally can't smell citrus on my skin as the notes turn to ash on my skin, I'm delighted. The sandalwood and tobacco prop up and support the vetiver, and overall I'm reminded of hot summer evenings in Florida chatting around my aunt's wood table as her numerous lime and lemon trees sway in the humid breeze.

I may buy a bottle of Sycomore one day, should I run out of my decant. I think I've already established in my reviews I like a masculine slant to my scents, and Sycomore is no exception--no florals whatsoever here. This is what I wanted No.19 to be, but 19's sharpness pushed me away. I'll be using this when I take on the boardroom.

bonovox
bonovox

Since my wonderful friends here on this website have made great suggestions I really enjoy the combination of vetiver, spices, and tobacco in this fragrance that truly make it unisex but by no means feminine. I think that's in comparison to my other new favorite "Encre Noir" as far as mysterious, magical vetiver's Sycomore will get more playtime in my rotation due to its versatility, whereas I will save "Encre Noir" for those special evenings. Pricewise, this is going to cost you a little bit more but it is so much worth it because it can be worn in a variety of ways. Casually, formally, daytime, nighttime... plus it's something that's very unique that you won't smell on other people as much. Perfect balance of notes all the way through with just the right amount of sillage and longevity.
Age-appropriate -- 30+

Cylob

@Papi. Perhaps Chanel copied herself? The original Sycomore was created in 1930.
Lalique and the new Sycomore are very much alike though. I prefer the fresh start and the progression towards smokey woods and vertiver of Sycomore, but to each their own.

Grottola

Sycomore used to be one of my top favorite fragrances until I discovered Terre d'Hermes and Encre Noire.

Don't get me wrong, Sycomore is a high quality fragrance, no doubt. Jacques Polge and Christopher Sheldrake were able to utilize the smoky-organic qualities of vetiver without pumping a ton of Iso E Super into the composition, and it comes out smelling great. That being said, I feel there's something missing from Sycomore. It feels flat and "empty", sort of. There's also a bit too much pepper for my liking, and I can't help thinking of steak (I have the same problem with a lot of dry pepper-infused masculines that have been released recently). Terre d'Hermes has a citrus/Iso E Super combo that makes it irresistable, and Encre Noire has a dark mystique that I love. Sycomore is good, but it's lacking. Nevertheless, still try it if you can. It's good stuff.

Sycomore is pretty masculine, if you ask me. There's not one floral or sweet note I can smell in it.

zepyhp
zepyhp

Very bold yet an elegant fragrance at the same time. Somehow this fragrance is refreshing enough to wear in the humid summer time and warm enough to wear in the winter time. How did Polge and Sheldrake do it??? Well how ever they did it, they did it. It's a fantastic vetiver fragrance, by far the best vetiver i have tried. Its smokey, earthy, woody, yet light with a tart berry essence to it. Elegant, classy, sophisticated, bold and beautiful. Magnicifient on a woman and sophistication on a man.

Lady Love
Lady Love

The inicial notes are strong, dark and smokey. For some reason Sycomore reminds me a little of Tea for two, both are very complex and spicy, but Sycomore is all about earthy and vetiver notes, and dries down to a soft, sweet fragrance.

I'm really impressed, I think Sycomore and Coromandel smell extremely unisex (more manly than womanly). They're definitely not easy to wear, but both are very interesting fragrances.

I won't spend many words on Sycomore as it deserves at least a try. This is an absolute masterpiece, one of a kind type of stuff and should be a mandatory purchase for any true fragrance lover. An outstanding and superbly crafted, smoky yet fresh vetiver centered composition enriched by hints of incense and a considerable dose of sandalwood. The usual aldehydes/iris roots "signature" bu Chanel is there but works subtly to provide the right amount of sophistication. Dry yet plush, immensely satisfying. Together with Vetiver Exctraordinaire and Route Du Vetiver possibly one of the best around. Absolutely intoxicating and addicting, don't look any further.

Cylob

Starts with a walk through grassy fields. Then you move into a fresh spring forest. The forest shifts through the seasons while you walk and you end up in early autumn with the sun peaking through the leaves. Stunning!

Deep, warm, yet fresh. I'm amazed again by Les Exlusifs.
Sycomore seems to get stronger hours later after a fresh opening. Really love how this, just like the other Chanels, keeps shifting layer after layer.

Hooked already from just the test spray I got from the boutique today. I really have to resist to run back to the boutique and buy (yet another) 200ml bottle.

We'll see how long I can resist buying it, but will review it again when I buy it...

Edit: well one week later I got me a bottle! And what a great and original fragrance this is. Really one of a kind.

For the males out there: this blends so nicely with my Egoiste after shave balm! A perfect combo. (Or ladies get your hubby to wear Egoiste while you wear Sycomore and you'll make the perfect set :)

Suitable for all seasons (yes: summer too!) and for both sexes...

Sarahbelle
Sarahbelle

Described as a "woody/floral/musk", i get the "woody" the musk eventually shows itself in the drydown, but floral notes elude me completely.
Please don't misconstrue that I am complaining -- I liked this fragrance from first sniff --- and then: it really grew on me.

Oh, my. This is quite lovely, in a rather unconventional, not-quite-ladylike way.

Initially, I thought, "oh, smells like Anat Fritz." (ceder) Then I thought, "now it smells like Feminite du Bois" (more ceder) Eventually, it reminded me of Chanel's Bois des Isles (generalized woodiness), but less sweet, more genteel.

I agree with other reviewers, that it seems more unisex than feminine. In fact, it is so complex, that I intend to experiment with layering it over body creams and oils that are distinctly floral or musky, or . . .

I kept sniffing my wrist, and, when no one [I hope!] was looking, my chest. It really, really grew on me.
Now that Chanel is beginning to offer Les Exclusifs in a 2.5 oz bottle, I shall probably purchase this.

oona noir
oona noir

Holy smokes! The first hour of this perfume was so smoky that my husband and I took to referring to this scent as 'Campfire'. And indeed, for me the first hour is a campfire with a side of nasty cigarette ash. I had to rub my eyes when I saw it being classified as a floral woody musk. But as it hits the heart, the cigarette smell disappears and violets start to bloom. Eventually it does blend into smoked woods, violets and musk, a combo I find heavenly.

A few points:
1)It's unisex. In fact, my husband despises this on me as he thinks it's a mens cologne and that it smells like musty pipe tobacco... I can totally picture a very hip married couple sharing a giant bottle of Sycomore. It won't be happening in my house, but I can see it.
2)It lasts forever. 24 hours sounds about right.
3)Someone on basenotes described this as a cross between No 19 and Bois Des Iles. I adore both of those scents, and I agree with the sentiment once the fragrance starts to hit the heart.

JustinV

Creamy-like scent 10%,
Tobacco-smokey like scent 10%
Sweet like scent (a little touch of flower) 5%

All the way, 24 hours.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful scent.

Creed, and other niche fragrance like Bond No. 9 or Amourage, you have a contestant.

Is this for women? I don't know, but for sure, I LOVE IT ON ME.

The first spray on my skin, I get nothing, quite disappointing, but after like 5 minutes, the scent pops up.

And it stays like this forever!!!!

For work? YES
For dates? YES
For casual meet-ups? YES

To bad, this scent is so classy, that it cannot be in the clubs. No freaking way.

I won't use this now, I am for sure to young for this. Maybe when I hit 29 onwards, I will buy this. It's kind of, 'powerful' scent.

I can see a manager, or some big shot for a corporate figure pulling this off.

Ladies think this is a weird scent, to grassy to them. Most of the guys say 'dam its so good, that when I am smoking, this one cuts my smoke for sure'.

And yes it did.

OMG, omg, omg, omg.

Awesome longevity as I mentioned.

100% attention grabber.

The country I am in has no 4 seasons, so it is either hot or cold weather. This works very well on both.

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 5 (Vetiver has never smelled so good).

Sillage: 5 (OMG).

Time length: 5 (24 hours, shit).

Occasion: 4 (all rounder jack of trades, but not for clubs).

Overall base on mathematics: 4.75/5

Throw away your all your vetiver stuff. This is a winner

I maybe should try on Vetiver by Christian Dior =p

Catharine
Catharine

I am crazy nuts in love with this fragrance. It's smoky, just sweet enough, elegant, and perfect for daytime. I don't sense cigarettes but rather burned wood, which I do adore as it makes me think of autumn walks and fireplace smoke. But it isn't all smoke; the violet sweetens things up very nicely. I don't often turn to girly or perfumey scents during the day, so this is a big favorite. Sycomore makes me feel confident and beautiful.

kylexora
kylexora

Clean, watery and warm smell. Remind me of Bvlgari BLV II eau de parfum. Very similar, hate to say I hate 'em both. But great for men, I think.

AJ73
AJ73

I bougth a bottle when it first came out in 2008 because the combination of tobacco and vetiver appealed to me. I worn it a couple of times and think it's an amazing perfume though too feminine. And I'm a man.. Good thing about "Les Exclusifs" is that they are exculsive. I sold my used bottle within a day for a good price on internet to a very enthusiastic lady. There you go, true art never loses it's value.

I absolutely adore rich, woodsy, smokey scents, especially those with tobacco as its most dominant note. Chanel's Sycomore fits this description, however in my opinion, this fragrance is far more masculine than feminine. I'm usually accustomed to gender-bending scents and I often wear fragrances marketed towards men, however Sycomore is far too masculine for me to even touch and the funny thing is, Sycomore is a female fragrance.

Despite the initial surprise, Sycomore is rather enticing. The fragrance opens quite strong, with the vetiver and tobacco notes making a rather loud entrance. Once settled on the skin, the sandalwood and cypress blends in with the tobacco and vetiver creating an interesting dryness.

Every time I brought my wrist to my nose I detected a powdery woods note, rather like the scent of fresh saw-dust. I was very relieved to see aldehydes as a listed note here, which proved that I had not been misled into making up ingredients.

Smokey, and in some ways, bitter, Sycomore reminds me of a recently burnt Australian bushland after a rainstorm. It is the scent of a scorching hot Summer, however I can't say that I'd wear this anytime other than Winter.

There are many words to describe Sycomore; dry, smokey, salty, earthy, masculine, nutty, dark, classy and balanced are only just the beginning. On each individual, Sycomore seems to differ. On a man, I'm certain that this fragrance would shine. I'll just put it out there that Chanel's Sycomore is and should be unisex.

An excellent light summer wood. I pretty much get smoky wood the whole time with very little change. Perhaps a tobacco note creeps in at the end, but overall, it's just a light, fresh smoky wood on my skin. Very nice.

Chanel SYCOMORE is a very unique perfume, with a dominant tobacco note which combines with the other elements of the composition in the opening to produce what is to my nose very similar to the smell of a campfire burnt out. It's not the smell of fire, nor of smokiness exactly, but more the scent of cold embers the morning after a big campfire in the mountains. This same smell tends to infect the clothing of all those who sat around the campfire roasting marshmallows, singing, and laughing. Basically, a flood of memories from girl scout camp has been elicited by the opening of SYCOMORE, believe it or not!

I am not and have never been a smoker, but this combination of earthy tobacco, vetiver and what seems to my nose to be leather is very appealing. SYCOMORE becomes even nicer in the drydown, when the dark heavy campfire aura evolves into a smooth, barely floral, powdery dry wood layer.

Through its entire development, this seems a unisex fragrance to me. Nothing in my collection comes close to SYCOMORE, and I find it FB-worthy, so am adding it to my wish list!

njdeb
njdeb

This is pure vetiver – dry, like burning wood. This smells of aromatic smoke and earth. No sweetness at all to my nose, which is exactly as it should be. Use only a bit as this is very strong. I actually like to use just a drop of this under a scent I find too sweet or fruity to add depth.

memechose
memechose

this is THE BEST VETIVER FRAGRANCE I ha=have ever worn... it has a nutty quality that lasts and lasts. if you can wear sweet and fruity florals, or fruity chypres you will want to own this

Kterhark
Kterhark

In 1920 US women gained the right to vote but not the right to smoke in public. The cigarette companies (obviously) had a problem with this, so they hired Edward Bernays (founder of Public Relations) to come up with a solution. Bernays created the 'Torches of Freedom' campaign, where women who wanted to stress their equality with men showed it by smoking in public. The French fashion houses saw where this was going and quickly jumped on the bandwagon, one result being Sycomore. My only comment is that US sentiment towards smoking has changed, and thus, a tobacco heavy perfume such as this in no longer in syle.

Malegria
Malegria

Cold, reserved, sophisticated. There is a lot`s of tobacco going on, mildewish patchouli...I don`t feel vetiver as strong, but something shows up that reminds me of a bitter lemon peel.

Also something unexpected showed up - through the entire top-heart-base notes - a pure smell of cigarettes with pot!That definitely gave Sycomore an unexpected twist!

ferrari
ferrari

Something completely unknown and unheard in perfume. Maybe this is the tobacco ring. Poignant, intense green bitter, some sour.
After can feel very light violet, but they are pressed with a crushed green leaves .
I woul'd say it more for men than women. It is cold and bitter, stringent. A bit soapy, I don't like soapy scent

And recalled melissa essential oils.

fragrancefiend
fragrancefiend

This is my favorite scent now. I tested it during a fragrance festival and it reminded me of a childhood friends house. Both parents smoked but the house was meticulously clean. Still, an unexpectly pleasant tobacco, wood burning smell was always detectable. This fragrance starts out all smoke and burning wood and then dries down to the best soft vetiver ever. Before I tried this, I had never smelled anything like it. Since then, I have sought out other vetiver based fragrances and the only one that has come close is Lez Nez Turtle Vetiver (but only after the initial swamp smell fades). Love Sycomore!

Carla
Carla

The vitality of vetiver is very distinct in Chanel's re-release of Sycomore. This his or her fragrance
has many facets for both to discover. I find it to be powerful yet soft, masculine yet feminine. The presence of vetiver is extremely noticeable with it's creme de la creme spirit evocative of the outdoors. The violet is trifle, yet there is a glimpse of a flower. The pseudo-metal essence of the aldehyde, indicative of the Chanel signature, is obvious. The dry down with the smokiness of tobacco laced with sandalwood and balsam create the woodsy incense aroma that make you want to scream I am woman hear me roar! If you like to take risks and have a passion for vetiver then this one this has your name on it.
It is pricey but then timeless scents usually are. I think it is definitely worth the investment for you or your guy. It's a Chanel experience for the 21st century, so have at it!

jsnat1227

I purchased this from BG the day after it was launched. Though it's listed here as a feminine scent, In fact it's a masculine and extremely upscale. Clearly it's designed as an evening, special occasion fragrance.

The opening accords are sharp and eye-catching. The second-wear (dry-down), can be 'musty.' Overall, Sycamore is an excellent scent, and by 'excellent', I mean, not created quickly for Chanel's Eclusive line, such as Eau De Cologne.

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore by Chanel 4.39 out of 5 based on 577 ratings and 125 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.