Designers » C » Woody Chypre « Groups

dislike

I have it: 842 I had it: 149 I want it: 1031 My signature: 42

tobacco
Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore Chanel for women and men Pictures

Sycomore by Chanel is a woody floral musk fragrance for women. Sycomore is a new fragrance and it was introduced in 2008. The noses behind this fragrance are Jacques Polge and Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features vetiver, sandalwood, aldehydes, tobacco and violet.

Vetiver Sandalwood Aldehydes Tobacco Violet Cypress Juniper Pink Pepper Spicy Notes

Encre Noire

Les Exclusifs de Chanel Sycomore Fragrance Reviews

spumyland
spumyland

Profumo buono,ben bilanciato e raffinato.
Ottimo il vetiver. non monotono,pepato all'inizio e accompagnato da tabacco puro senza aromi fino alla fine.
Il ginepro duro lo tende al maschile e viola e aldeidi scuotono banchi di nebbia fumosi.
Perfetto di giorno lo vedo adatto su un uomo in mezzo a uomini..in affari.
Sulla mia pelle rimane amarissimo e aspro a lungo.

Il profumo piu amaro che possiedo...e... l'unico!

Like!

lisa o

I'm so frightened that it will lose it's quality in the new edp version that I just bought a 2nd 200ml bottle. I can't imagine living without it...
Probably changes are not so dangerous with Sycomore anyway, because the material is not the most expensive one. Maybe I should be more worried about my second love of the line, 28 La Pausa....

nbailey9
nbailey9

I picked up a sample of this along with Jersey, Boy, and Cuir de Russie. I was attracted to Sycomore because I'm an outdoor kind of person and not overly girly, though I am definitely professional, so I figured it might complement my personality. It does! For me this starts with a blast of juniper, which smells clean, extremely fresh, and only slightly masculine. After 20 minutes I start getting pepper, spice, and a lot of vetiver. The scent lingers for several hours, but does not really radiate out. The effect is like hiking through a forest in the summer. Though many people have listed this as a winter fragrance, most winter scents to me have a warm undertone of amber or honey or vanilla. This does not; it's just plain old fresh. Nonetheless, I'd totally wear this in Spring, Summer, or Fall! I just wish (like with all Chanel's Exclusifs) that it lasted longer.

gedlive

I put this back into my top 5 for Fall and Winter. It is the best vetiver fragrance in the world, smoky. Like,
Coromadel is the second best patchouli fragrance after Dior Patchouli Imperial.

mariamarouli91
mariamarouli91

That's a scent which exactly manages to captivate the nature and create images in your mind. That's what I imagine when I smell Sycomore: I am in my grandparents house in the village a fall/winter day after a rainstorm. It's cold, wet,dump,rainy,cloudy and foggy outside. In the fireplace there are olive woods which are burnt slowly. Outside the house it's a field with olive trees and cypresses which smell amazing after the rain. The soil is still wet,fresh and smells rich and earthy. The smoke which emerges from the chimney is prominent in the atmoshpere.
Sycomore is a scent which perfectly captures a fall/winter rainy day. Intensely smoked in the beginning, a bit spicy afterwars, dry and clean at the same time. I wouldn't wear it out of the house (still!) but it perfectly manages to recall amazing memories from my village,grandpa and innocent childhood. I wouldn't buy a full bottle but I would be very glad if I had a little sample in my collection in order to recall nostalgic memories.

soulflwr
soulflwr

Sycomore...Do you know how badly I want you?

A Russian woman with a fur coat, stiletto boots, leather gloves,red lips, and a top knot came into my office a couple of years ago. I don't know what her business was, but everything about her commanded respect. Now pay attention to my choice of words here, her presence did not DEMAND respect, demanding is for those who haven't yet owned and embodied their own personal power. This woman was not a demanding type...she was a commander without words.

I was struck by her style, poise, womanliness, and as if to push the point of her absolute and unquestionable femininity...

….she smelled like a man.

Which was ABSOLUTELY freaking perfect. Usually I’d see a woman like this and I’d imagine she smelled like opulent tuberose, indolent jasmine, or even some kind of sweet and spicy dessert. But no, this particular woman came into my office that day wearing Sycomore.

She wore it so well, in fact, that I’ve been dreaming about owning a bottle of my own ever since.

perfumesamplesanddecants
perfumesamplesanddecants

class all the way, this by Chanel is one of the best vetiver releases if not one of the best scents ever. it's chanel and it's more a modern vetiver for both sexes....if you don't know it by now you have missed out on this gem....

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

Chanel Sycomore, for me, is point in case that our tastes are ever evolving. I first smelt Sycomore three years ago when I was at a Chanel boutique, but instead settled on No 22. If I relived that exact experience tomorrow, the outcome would be very different. I can no longer tolerate No 22 for myself and would pick Sycomore without any second thought. A few months ago I realised that vetiver is a smell I yearn for. I love its earthiness, greenness, and smoky facets. I came to this conclusion from burning pure vetiver oil in my room, the smoky freshness is absolutely sublime to me.

Sycomore enhances the most beautiful aspects of the pure vetiver extract, but adds a particular Chanel chicness to make it into an utterly wearable work of art. Longevity is great for an EDT, I do a few replenishments throughout the day but I would do that with most EDT’s. I really enjoy it sprayed on clothes (particularly wool & cashmere).

Vetiver is a traditionally masculine note, but I think Chanel Sycomore would be devastatingly chic worn by a woman. Sycomore is intriguing, chic, wearable, and addictive. Sycomore, to me, is not a skin scent nor is it a perfume that wears its owner. I do, however, find it an extremely assertive fragrance and you do need to really love and appreciate Sycomore in order to carry it off. I suppose when I had my first Chanel visit and settled on No22 I wasn’t quite ready for the world of Sycomore…

Sycomore demands a strong sense of self from its wearer. Although I would wear it both day and night, I would never dream of wearing it in my ‘kick around’ clothes. It requires its wearer to have an assured presence to match the fragrance lingering around them.

Sycomore is both modern and old-world to me, a juxtaposition I cannot verbalise but just a feeling it gives me when I wear it.

I’m so happy I discovered Sycomore, its a true beauty.

PS, I highly recommend pure vetiver oil used in an oil diffuser for those of you that cannot get enough of Sycomore.

onaona
onaona

Let me keep this real.
The tobacco note is beastly!

It quite literally drags me around by the nostril hairs, daring me, just DARING ME, to breathe.

I can see by the poll, Sycomore is a favored fragrance. You love it :) It would seem Sycomore is another Chanel jewel for the crown, right? Right?
OK
The issue (apparently) is mine and mine alone.
I can almost accept that, but maybe I am not alone. Maybe I can save a fellow perfumista from the olfactory abuse I suffered at the nozzle of Sycomore. It smells...unpleasant, ugly, even cruel.

The perfume lover in me actually LOVES that so many of you you adore Sycomore. It makes me smile reading your reviews, while simultaneously boggling my mind to find myself a minority of one. Logically, I even understand the same abusive tobacco note making my eyes water and growing hair on my chest is exactly the note found so very pleasurable to others. Perfumery is an art, after-all, with varied appeal. I understand that, I do...on the surface, but deep down in my olfactory heart, I'm screaming, NO, NO, NO. Do not go into the light!! Follow me out of this hellish fragrance!!!

Top --a big bitter tobacco note mixed with my fear
Heart-- ugly tobacco and NOTHING else.
Base--tobacco, still ugly, now stale.

Projection--miles
Longevity--years

Don't say I didn't warn you. Stay safe ;)

Gigi The Fashionista

Spices

Cypress

Sandalwood

Vetiver

I have all the Les Exclusifs de Chanel fragrances but had stopped wearing this one. Sycomore is definitely out there and being worn by both men and women, though it's really more a man's cologne than unisex.

The scent seduced me again when I smelled it on an older friend who sat next to me at my Wall Street Rotay Club in Manhattan. He said this is his signature scent. I was intrigued by this fragrance and then remembered I bought this one some years ago. My cologne is still going strong and has not "turned". This is an outdoorsy woodsy smoky fragrance. It smells mainly of tobacco and sandalwood. The tobacco is not as you'd imagine it to be like a big Cuban cigar or anything. It's resinous, smoky and matches up with the woods scent, in this case it's a cypress scent which I really love.

Cypress scents always make me feel like I'm walking down the Appian Way on the way to ancient Rome. It's a nocturnal, masculine woodsy aroma. But it has some feminine touches here and there, namely the violet and aldehydes. I think the aldehydes give it more a soap scent than freshness. Nothing fresh about this scent. It's like a dark oud type of smell, nocturnal, mysterious, elegant, mature and woodsy.

It would suit any person who has years of experience wearing fragrances, unisex fragrances. This lasts an incredibly long time but it screams "night" so I would imagine it's best worn in the afternoon and evening as you wear the same formal suit to the same event. It has an autumnal air and is best worn in the late summer and throughout the Fall.

That cypress does it for me. And the sandalwood. It smells exotic, sexy, and seductive. I'm glad that this fragrance is out there.

UnearthlyApothecary
UnearthlyApothecary

Vetiver violet and tobacco blended with the characteristic Chanel aldehydes. This smells wonderful, if you are attentive you will catch each note as they harmonize together on your skin. My only complaint would be that my skin eats this up so it doesn't last very long at all

hafidzummc
hafidzummc

its like the smell if u leave ur shirt in a wooden closet too long, but in a good way! minus the mossy dusty smell and replaced with other beautiful woody notes (vetiver, etc). one the best smell ive ever sniffed.

mikenac
mikenac

I love this scent. It's has a great smokey opening, full of juniper and woody vetiver. I did not really get the tobacco notes that others have noted. This may be a little brighter and slightly more complex than Encre Noir, but in my opinion, not enough to justify the increased cost.

If you like Encre Noir, you will like this and vice versa.

Rating: 8/10.

Bourgognais
Bourgognais

A débutant, mediocre nose, I am unqualified to write a review worthy of this august site, but this splendid vétyver masterpiece by senseï Polge and the talented M. Sheldrake was instant adoration for both my spouse and me. In the all-time top 50, indubitably. Simplicity and beauty: class. The Citroën 15 of perfumes.

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

This was an experimental phase. I thought it was very masculine and more a men's cologne than a unisex "for women" too type of scent. Some unisex scents are wearable for women, but not all of them. This was big on cypress, vetiver, sandalwood and tobacco. I have a problem with the tobacco. The juniper is nice and the violet but they are in the background and don't have enough time allowed for the feminine sweet scents to come out. So after wearing it for a while I'm giving it away to a friend of mine who liked smelling it on me LOL This is still a really well made Chanel fragrance. It has a lot of good aromas and I do love cypress but I wish this was more like a Christmas tree cypress scent. The classic chanel aldehydes give it more of a man's soap type of scent. Just not working with my skin chemistry. If you love woodsy scents and tobacco try it. You won't be disappointed. It delivers but it's just too strong for me.

RobBob
RobBob

Les Exclusifs Sycomore is another beautiful scent created by Chanel. It has a beautiful blend of vetiver, tobacco and floral notes. There is a small amount of aldehydes too, but not as much as No. 5 or No. 22. Just enough to give it some zing! I also get a cool mint from Sycomore. I keep smelling my wrist at work. I have nothing to complain about this fragrance, except, that I wish it was a bit stronger. Besides that, as I said this is a very beautiful fragrance.

Russian's man
Russian's man

The biophysic Luca Turin said of it's fragrance this '' If putting it on does not make you shiver with pleasure, see a doctor.'' hehehe. Principally, Sycomore it's builded around the vetiver. Usually, vetiver it's a ''rough'' note but here it's result refined due to creaminess of sandalwood IMO.

Altogether, Sycomore it's a elegant and rich smoky woody fragrance. Suitable for Autumn and Winter and for formal occasions. IMO it's more masculine that feminine due to prominent woody character.

Scent: 9
Versatility: 6

Overall: 7

rnasim
rnasim

violet and cigarettes - nostalgic smell that brings my memories back to my youth in 90th. There is something so pure and fragile and yet so powerful about this fragrance, something that changes my breath and makes my heart ache as if I am young and in love again.

K1
K1

Me and Sycomore live an one way love; I love it and it doesn't love my skin. This perfume in spite of its muted performance on my skin has my highest admirations. By the way, add its unoriginal blood to evaluation cause I don't buy Chanel's digressive statement about the original version of this perfume back in 30's to distract Sycomore is extension of Natalie Lorson's sombre vetiver: Encre Noire. It's apparently a replica of Lalique but a perfect replica and a development in formula from fuliginous vetiver and pine to dusky chyper vetiver.

Sycomore uncorks with enveloping mist of luxurious vetiver and juniper accentuated by tender aldehydic aura to keep it classical, Chanel'ish and formal. The fragrance meets tickling and inoffensive peppery air in the following which deliver more crunchy and arid mood to the vetiver throne. And in the core sandalwood and tobacco bring slight warmth and zest to the root and make the disaster set! This is awfully perfect, impossible to not get in love with Sycomore.
★★★★★

gedlive

This has quickly gone into my top 5, if not #1. Many good and accurate reviews here, If I may, I would like to reiterate some.
Someone quoted Luca Turin as saying, " If your not shiverring with pleasure from the smell of this, you need to see a Dr." That's how I feel about this fragrance. My favorite fragrances are woody, earthy, green, herbaceous, natural, and Sycomore gets all those checks.
I liked how someone said it's refreshing, yet warming in such a special way that only the perfumer, Polge, could craft such a masterpiece.
The predominant vetiver is lush and green of superb quality; yet this warm, strong, aromatic smokiness as of charred wood, procedes forth. A sweet sandalwood base ads softness and balance, hints of pink pepper and violet ad aromatic brightness.
And of course some wonderful cypress and juniper, not to much, ad more aromatic woodiness.

Note: If your looking for a good deal to buy this, the prices from the Chanel web site are cheaper than most eBay offerings, first time I saw that. From Chanel list price, $160/75 ml, $280/200 ml.

Wow, got my sample, been reading the hype. Yes, I would love to have this and would buy it for $75, but not at the current price.
I love Encre Noir, CdG Wonderwood, and woody, cypress fragrances, so this is my taste, style.

I can really nail the description for you if you tried these two fragrances, Encre Noir, or Encre Noir Sport, and Guerlain Vetiver ! The main difference between this and say Encre Noir Sport, is the tobacco note. And it's just like the tobacco note in Guerlain's Vetiver fragrance.
I was hoping this was going to be so special, as it has my favorite notes, I would buy it for my next birthday. But since I have CdG Wonderwood, Guerlain Vetiver, and Encre Noir Sport, I'm not getting enough wow, for a bottle purchase.

It has that pungent green bourbon vetiver, with nice juniper and cypress, so great woody base. It is a bit sweet, and has that nice piquant touch of tobacco. Overall a bit more rounded and refined than Encre Noir Sport. It has some zestiness to it that makes it more like Encre Noir Sport than Encre Noir.

God bless you. John 3:16

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

I found fragrances that have a simplistic composition based on note of vetiver not pleasant or sophisticated at all, but Sycomore is one of the few magic potion masterfully done by Jacques Polge from cypress, vetiver, tobacco and aldehydes, who manages to be, at the same time, comfortable and luxurious, soapy and refreshing.

It can be worn in the same environment as Dior Bois d'Argent, without this similarity mean in the least that would have many notes in common, but both share an "enveloping" style, which creates an aura around you with contrasts of hot and refreshing notes.

The note of vetiver is well dosed, has a very well calculated harshness and generates a surprising freshness - there is not in this industry another perfumer except Jacques Polge who can create such a symphony of notes, in perfect harmony .

Sycomore is cataloged as a unisex fragrance, but I see it 80% male and is the only perfume in Les Exclusifs that you can comfortably wear as a man.

A perfect 10 !!!

Fragrance 10/10
Projection Medium
Longevity 12 h

Omar00
Omar00

This is similar to Encre Noire in the same sense Kobe beef is similar to a Chuck roast.

If you cannot smell the difference you need to learn how to pick out notes.

FourthSense
FourthSense

I am at Copenhagen Right now and have been walking along the "Gågate - walking way' where all the major and minor stores are located. In my search for the Channel Excluisves and some other niche perfumes I went into the Famous "Magasine".
Here I found the Chanel Exclusives - at last.
I tried both Sycomore and Coromandel.

Before I come to the point and opinion of this perfume, I will make I suggestion.
Do not go away from "brand perfumes". Keep smelling then or even buying some treasures that might appear here and there.
Why?
This will give you some greater knowledge of the smells available all around ( I know we cannot know all emagineable smell).
And again. Why?
This will avoid that you fall for a Niche smell that you can get from a brand perfume for a cheaper price.

So the point
When I first smelled Sycomore I got a Deja vou feeling. I knew the smell quite well.
It is the beautiful Ancre Noir. Right from the beginning. For that reason I disagree with those who say that: "The start of Sycomore is richer, smoother, more balanced."
I totally recognize Ancre Noir, and Sycomore can be said is a twin brother right from the very beginning and until the end.

So what to choose. Well of Course Ancre Noir. Much much cheaper and you get the same beautiful smell.
So, please do not go for the hype. There is not real reason to spend €100 for this Chanel.

What do I got at the end: Coromandel (what a cliche but what a beauty) ;-)

mezameyo
mezameyo

This is a comfort scent for me. It makes me feel calm, warm and comforted. On my skin it is fairly quiet. Doesn't project much, especially after the first hour or so, but it does linger most of the day.

As others have noted, the vetiver is front and center from beginning to end. To my nose this vetiver is dry and smokey, almost incense-like. It brings to mind smoldering bundles of dried vetiver grass on parched earth, smoke rising into the air. But this smoldering vetiver is softened with the other notes that are blended such that I can't really make them out individually (but I'm also new to fragrances so my nose is partly to blame). But this softness makes the overall scent more plush and pulls the fragrance into unisex territory.

To me it seems better suited to spring and fall than the more extreme seasons, but I think it could be worn all year (with some care in summer). In fact, I live on the equator, so it is always summer here, and I wear it without any issues.

EDIT:

The more that I live with the fragrance, the more I love it and the more I want to smell it. It's also now clear to me that the cushion of plush sweetness that surrounds the smoldering vetiver (and which actually outlasts the vetiver in the deep dry-down) comes largely from a sweet, creamy sandalwood.

Likewise, I've also realized that much of the smoldering quality of the vetiver comes from a tobacco note. Previously I had been unable to discern any tobacco, but now I realize that it is seamlessly grafted onto the "back end" of the vetiver, making it hard to detect as a distinct note but contributing to the rich smokiness of the vetiver base.

Finally, I have also noticed that if I wear clothing over the place I've applied the scent, it changes the character of the aroma. Since I work in a casual environment in the tropics, I usually wear short-sleeve shirts. However, one day when working in a frigid air-conditioned room, I was wearing a sweatshirt, and I kept getting whiffs of a bright, soapy scent. It took me some time to realize that it was actually the Sycomore. It was as if the thick sweatshirt was filtering out the heavier molecules of the base and only letting the lighter, shimmering ones through.

vadim
vadim

This is possible the best perfume in les exclusifs line. An amazing vetiver based fragrance that is very potent and has characher unlike many vetivers on the market. It opens with heavy notes of burned wood and the fragrance is pretty linear in conposition. The smoky vetiver is very refined in the drydown and along with Vetiver Extraordinaire is my favourite vetiver based fragrance. For vetiver lovers this is a mush have

Dusty520
Dusty520

I love it, but I am very disappointed with its longevity... Would be nice to have a perfum version of it. Or at least an EDP. But for now, I will not be wasting my money on an expensive bottle of short performance.

kim_klaus
kim_klaus

To my taste, Sycomore is the most exquisite creation from Chanel. It is simply that heavenly successful balance of cypress + vetiver + tobacco (in the sequence they appear to me). Added the undeniable quality of the ingredients, which also reflects on the performance.

Earthy, aromatic coniferous forest with a little sun coming through the majestic trees is what I'm being reminded of.

Sycomore is an entirely assertive and classy fragrance. In spite of all my admiration, I find it slightly too masculine (smoky and spicy) for myself to wear. C'est la vie!

aeriol.chapito
aeriol.chapito

This is what Encre Noire becomes when she decides to go to the ball at the Emperor´s. ¨Refined¨ as others have said, Encre is the rough sharp diamond, Sycomore is luminous. I love them both, two takes on gorgeous vetiver.
I imagine an english gentleman from the 1850-1930 era smelling like this, after coming back from expeditions in some exotic foreign land. Or what princess Sibylla of Jerusalem would project while drifting through her palace ready to make an entrance.
Rich and elegant, but never pretentious; serene and white gold, perfectly unisex. A true gem.

cytherian
cytherian

I originally sampled Sycomore quite a while back, shortly after purchasing a bottle of Lalique Encre Noire. With Lalique's ground breaking vetiver in my nose, Sycomore wasn't distinctive enough. I moved on and didn't look back... until just recently, to take another chance.

What happened was that I became disenchanted with Encre Noire. BORING. So I stopped using it, until recently discovering that it makes a great layering fragrance. And then I decided to revisit Sycomore and see if my mind had changed.

There's no question that Sycomore is indeed similar to Encre Noire (nearly 80 people can't be wrong), but that happens more into the drydown. The start of Sycomore is richer, smoother, more balanced. And it holds onto this for at least an hour, at which point you can mistaken it for Encre Noire. But take it in closely with your eyes closed and no... it's still a little different. "Refined" is the word.

So if you're a vetiver connoisseur, you should own Sycomore. Otherwise, you can get by with the lesser but still respectable Encre Noire.

csaito
csaito

I love vetiver

I have experienced various perfumes with this note and Sycomore was what I liked most, so that became my signature scent. I have a bottle of 75 ml and bought another of 200 mL. I think i have Sycomore for life now.

Has a prominent note of vetiver, but not as aggressive as Encre Noir, is smooth and geniously blended with woody notes.

It is a unisex fragrance, very elegant, luminous and comfortable. I spray 10x sometimes and not bother other people around. It has a moderate projection and lasts a lot, all day long, if not more !

along my journey to find the "best" vetiver, i've tried around 12 fragrances, my top 3 is:
1) Sycomore > 2) Sel de Vetiver > 3) Vetiver extraordinaire. Sycomore is a masterpiece and other 2 are highly recommended.

5/5 stars

mikemuscles21
mikemuscles21

One thing I can tell you about this fragrance is that I always get compliments when I wear it, sometimes from far across the room.

I have been using the same bottle since 2010. For some reason 200ml has been lasting me a long time.

Museumgal
Museumgal

Dry woody scent. Great for formal events. The tobacco is smokey and not sweet, but more !like its already burning. Lasts four hours.

pdubrogers
pdubrogers

Finally tried it after all the great reviews. It's fantastic, however, it is very similar to CDG wonderwood that I thought my samples had been mixed up. Both are just great. It's not the sharp vetiver I'm used to like Grey Vetiver but rather smooth and indulging. Both these I mention are refined not like the uncouth cousin Encre Noire which is good in its own way.

landshark321
landshark321

My second try from Les Exclusifs line, Sycomore is one of the best vetiver/woods fragrances I can recall trying. It hits the mark far better than Le Labo's Vetiver or Gaiac entries, with a hearty balance between vetiver, cedar, and sandalwood. Neither too earthy nor too smoky, Sycomore plays each note rather subtly without anything taking over too much. Certainly the vetiver is strongest but not doesn't overwhelm, as it's not a terribly fresh vetiver but rather works in concert with the other element. It's not terribly bright either--there is hardly any citrus or florals to sharpen the opening and give way to a more subdued drydown---rather, it's quite consistent.

I wouldn't give it high marks in the realm of uniqueness (as with Coromandel) but Sycomore scores high as far as style. I haven't tried Encre Noire, which appears to be its doppelganger based on other reviews, but I have a hard time imagining it would be more refined or sophisticated than this.

My typical criticism of fragrances with strong contributions from vetiver (top to bottom, as opposed to just a heart or base) is that they're usually unpalatable to being too dirty or earthy, but Sycomore rings sophisticated.

Definitely a worthy try that is also strong on projection and longevity (and so also justifying the Exclusif cost), I'd have to recommend this to all, for vetiver fans and non-fans (like me) alike.

8 out of 10

I've done all these reviews in the wrong order now! I managed to write a really in depth one for Cuir de Russie and the proceeded to delete it never to be seen again. That was my first and very positive experience of Chanel Les Exclusifs, I don't know why but I was dreading trying this. I think I thought it may smell like Serge Lutens Cedre for some bizzare reason...kinda pissy after all it turns out to be a sheldrake creation.
Thank heavens it wasn't the opening is very clean and sappy green aldehydes but with an instant spice to it. I'd say juniper and cypress in terms of notes listed here and you could be fooled by thinking this was a very lightweight fresh woody scent. Then the next few minutes of development, and a very focused smokey vetiver emerges. This dries everything out and combined with the gorgeous spicy edge of sandalwood makes for an extremely refined vetiver and up there with the best I've smelled.
The comparisons with Encre Noire are obvious as a benchmark of ethereal, earthy quality. I think the main difference is that Sycomore doesn't reveal it's hand as quickly as EN and as such develops slightly differently.
This is a good fragrance.

Scentmad
Scentmad

SWOON. This is a really gorgeous perfume. Great longevity and sillage. Aromatic, sweet, sharp, green with a divine sandalwood dry down.

It is pricy but it is special. £210 for 200ml in harrods. I shouldered the expense because I couldn't resist it. It's just wonderful. I sprayed it this morning at 10am and almost 12 hours later I can still smell it. Terrific.

gelo999
gelo999

I bought this fragrance as directed by Luca Turin who spoke very highly of her, and he was right.

In my opinion, I tell you that I've tried many vetiver agreements, but this has a great quality.
It is an exquisite vetiver, elegant, soft, nothing earthy, slightly dusty, with a sweet finishing touch and touch the wake of snuff that brings a mysterious and even mystical aura.
Although it is for women, I say that this beautiful fragrance seems pretty masculine, which indicates that this really is subjective marking the sexes in fragrances.
It is the perfect fragrance for elegant, sophisticated urbanite man.
Perfect for everyday use and serves for any season.
It is one of the most distinguished fragrance I know.
Rating: 8

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

I fell very deeply in love with this scent upon first sniff; it's nothing like anything I've ever smelt before. For me, this is a very evocative and mysterious fragrance. It's incredibly sensual, like the beautiful and smoldering Lauren Bacall. Effortlessly sexy, like the sharply tailored suit caressing her willowy figure. Passionate, like her soul that makes it's presence felt through her steely and shimmering eyes. I could even imagine Lauren Bacall wearing this.

Sycomore begins with a brief puff of smoke. Vetiver dominates, and it's very aromatic and light, with an earthy dryness, that develops into something a little more spicy and creamy with some smokiness in the background. It's always smooth and well-blended, with that signature sophistication and elegance associated with Chanel. The scent is mainly smoky woods on me, but that's okay; I'm wondering if I'll be able to unscramble some more notes during the warmer months.

This perfume does venture a little too much into the masculine spectrum for me, which means that I can't really see myself wearing this regularly; although sometimes, nothing but this seems to do. A man could definitely appreciate Sycomore and I wouldn't hesitate at all to call this unisex. Soft sillage (this would probably improve when it's warmer); lasts for about 7-8 hours.

Please note: I am still yet to smell Encre Noire.

du57in
du57in

Sycamore starts with a blast of inky, dark vetiver that smells almost smokey. That smoke quickly gives way to spicy tobacco, creamy sandalwood and what must be smooth, gently sweet, milky violet. The vetiver hangs on for the duration of the fragrance, but it's never overwhelming.

Sycomore is everything I wanted Encre Noire to be. I suppose the two do smell similar, at least their vetiver notes do, but they really are quite different from each other.

Encore Noire does manage to replicate a similar structure with cashmerean instead of violet, but there is nothing smokey or spicy about it. Sycamore rises well above Encre Noire in every way.

almondcookie
almondcookie

Smells like a unisex scent. This is quite spicy. Vetiver is very noticeable. So is the tobacco, leather and violet. Also it has a good staying power. Please note, I tested this on a card, It might be better on the skin.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

I think I'm becoming a bit of a vetiver addict. I've also tried Encre Noir (like many) recently, also Guerlain Vetiver. Of course there are strong similarities. For me this hasn't the clean freshness of Guerlain, and it hasn't the sinister drama of the Lalique. But this is mellow, subtle, refined, tentative, delicate. Beautiful, in fact. I get the spiciness at the start and of course full-on lovely vertiver throughout. For me soft sillage (although I was wearing Polo yesterday, so I might revise that comment later!) and moderate longevity. Someone else said "otherworldly" - I agree, and in fact the scent of vetiver is always a little like that for me. But whereas Encre Noir, for me, is a malevolent and dramatic spirit, Sycomore is an intelligent, refined and absolutely benevolent alien being. Someone said that the character from the film Avatar would wear this. Yes, bravo, perfect! I so wish I'd thought of that image, but it's completely right. A benevolent, intelligent, otherworldly, beautiful, forest dweller.
No doubt at some point in the future I will be surrounded by far too many bottles on the theme of vetiver. Heaven! Of course Sycomore is on my "want" list. I'd wear this when I felt I needed support and kindness not of this world. Lovely.

Little Prince
Little Prince

Chanel is perhaps one of the fistful of brands that still throws big money in perfumes. There is always room for a vetiver fragrance but for a brand that is marketing its high-end line to women composing and delivering a vetiver was surely their boldest and most ingenious act. Wearing Sycomore causes ones heart to flutter. Like the first time you fall in love where you feel a gap, a short of emptiness, underneath your chest and your surroundings become more emotionally vivid. Sycomore is foremost an object of beauty; a perfume that sets into motion the senses and not the logical reasoning. Technically, it is a smoky vetiver, refined to the bone and done in the grandest manner but actually it is more of an experience, a festivity about things that you can sense/smell and not say about. This is a fragrance that doesn’t need to be broken down or be discussed in parts. It is a sum of ordinary parts, parts used before in many fragrances but here fit so ideally, reminding us that uniqueness is hidden everywhere and not only in the exotic. For a vetiver composition, a traditionally solemn and unbending note, this experience was to me one of the greatest surprises of my perfume journey. Sycomore is a deep and mysterious perfume which exudes charisma and manages to deliver a profound emotional impact, lifting the senses as no other. MASTERPIECE

JMSG
JMSG

Woods and woods-- confident but never shouty, proud but accessible, with unusual longevity for Les Exclusifs (still catching the drydown after 12 hours). Dry, though stops well short of austere.

Tania Sanchez talks about how, when we use the word 'androgynous', what we mean is that the creature is beautiful before it is male or female. This is Sycomore. No one to whom I've offered a sniff of my arm hasn't been caught up in it completely; and it is absolutely a masculine too.

Neytiri in 'Avatar' would wear this.

struthion
struthion

Thank you, Chanel, for Sycomore. As someone who likes earthy, woody frags it's a gamble to find ones that aren't overly masculine. Initially, Sycomore is quite masculine, then veers more feminine.

The opening has an appealing smokiness. I got some pepper, too, which fades quickly, but the smokiness persists. From there it morphs into a clever blend of cypress and juniper that creates a gorgeous dry woodiness. And oh, that vetiver! Lovely with the sandalwood. Mouchette said it well - "outdoor chic in a bottle."

If smoke + wood + earth sounds masculine, it is. At first, I thought there were no softening florals, nothing to counter the masculinity, but happily wearable. When I realized I was wrong, I had to come back and edit my review. The vetiver came out to steal the show from the cypress/juniper, coupled with a wistful floral note. (Violet?)

The earlier-century green Chanels are very manicured, like a well-kept 19th century mansion. There's nothing so posh or garden-y here. This is a dry wood where the crackling leaves mingle with the scents of the earth and the fragrant trees.

Chanel tends not to work for me, never mind the price tag. I'm also wary of projecting anything that screams "high-end brand" as distinctively as some Chanels. Love experiencing them, would never wear them. Fortunately this is wonderfully complex and natural fragrance without having that quality. Still VERY sophisticated, though.

Edit: Well, I've certainly learned my lesson about getting excited and writing a review before a scent goes through its whole progression. For every turn in the tale I came back to rewrite - bringing the grand total to an embarrassing eight edits. Sycomore has some beautiful surprises.

rostov14
rostov14

Mahogany scent; monogenic, minimalistic and rather masculine. The smell of scorched earth where the fire is put down but the smoke is still here...
The cinder-path to the fall...There is some coolness of the night and darkness and sadness there too. The aroma of longing; resigned and wistful and yet full of hope and promise...sss...Superb! Original and different, though there is no sweetness at all in this frag, so no fairy tale for me here -straight, sharp and spicy smell, but I am smitten somehow..penetrated. Oh, Syco more!

As the scent receded, I was left with the metallic touch on my skin.
No more for now, pls. ¿Puzzled?! Alienated....still in two minds...

Sycomore appears to me as an interesting cross between Chanel 18 and Chanel "Cuir de Russie", where the first is pretty much abhorred and the latter is very much loved by me. No wonder that I'm so disturbed by this dichotomy of my senses....

Ludicolo
Ludicolo

First things first, to you people that have only tried Sycomore once and didn't like it; please if you can, try it again!

I got hold of a mini splash bottle a while ago and to begin with, all I could smell was stale cigarette smoke..
Not exactly what I want to smell like!
It smelled precisely like some dude coming in from a smoke break outside, plus a faint trace of his generic cologne.
I disliked it immensley and felt a sigh of relief, money saved!

However.. it grew on me LIKE CRAZY and only a couple of weeks (and trials) later, I found myself drawn to the dusty, dry warmth of Sycomre like a moth to a lightbulb and like being under a spell, I was completely unable to stop smelling it.
Now I'm head over heels in love with this masterpiece, and consider it one of my absolute favorites from the Les Exclusifs.

I haven't smelled Encre Noire which so many compare Sycomre with, but I'm sure that's a great one too.
I mean, if it's related to Sycomore how can it not be?

Sycomore smells dusty and peppery like dried hay in an old, abandoned barn, warm like freshly made cinnamon buns (without the sugar) and aromatic and "outdoorsy" like tree bark and smoky bonfires.

To me Sycomore manages to smell otherworldly and natural at the same time, which is amazing!
It's like a trip to some ancient forest, far from civilization.
All is nice and relaxing except the temperature is a bit too high, the sky is overcast with dark storm clouds and everything seems just a bit too quiet.
Wait.. did I just see something in between those old, mossy pine trees over there? A witch perhaps?

The words that first come to my mind smelling Sycomore, are safe and comforting, however unsettling.
It literally makes me feel like I'm being embraced by a huge hunky beast of a man, LOL!
He might look threathening with his thick beard, huge arms and all that, but on the inside he is gentle as a lamb... or is he?
That dark, unsettling streak never leaves the picture completely.
It's always there, lurking somewhere in the background.

As far as the Les Exclusifs go, Sycomore is one of the longest lasting ones and the sillage is moderate to heavy.

A winner!

annajurgenson
annajurgenson

Love so many reviews here. I also love CHANEL. I am also obsessed with vetiver. It opens with a dry and smoky vetiver and a touch of tobacco. After a few minutes a soft sandalwood takes over mixed in with lemony cypress. Absolutely a fabulous scent!

jsaliga
jsaliga

Hands down the best Vetiver fragrance ever fashioned. And while I can see how some people detect similaries between Sycomore and Encre Noir, the Chanel creation is in a class by itself. Next to it Encore Noir smells like a cheap immitator. I happen to love Encre Noire but Sycomore is a much more satisfying fragrance, and given the price it should be. I have yet to smell rooty Vetiver like this, and it absolutely floored me at first sniff. The Sandalwood is perfectly matched to the Vetiver. A rock star of Vetiver/Woody fragrances.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Beautiful smooth vetiver in the same vein as Encre Noire (as many have already pointed out). There is a smooth, nutty character to this that I havent really smelled in a vetiver before. The overall composition is much smoother than EN. Where EN has dark, sharp, pointed edges, sycomore is well-rounded and streamlined. If you tried Encre Noire and couldn't enjoy the ragged edges of that fragrance this is a perfect smoother substitute. Performance is average. The only thing holding me back from loving this is the price. When Encre Noire can be had so cheap, I really don't think Sycomore is worth it. It's quality but it's just so similar (and EN actually lasts a good deal longer on me!). 7/10

DaneGR
DaneGR

"… the freshest, most salubrious, yet most satisfyingly rich masculine in years. If putting it on does not make you shiver with pleasure, see a doctor."
~ Luca Turin

Bright and open. Sharp and smooth. Not heavy. Beautiful.

Chicago Tony T

So this gets a 4.39 and Encre Noire gets a 4.22. I guess the Chanel faithful have not tried EN which is like 1/5 of the price. Personally I prefer sparkling bright vetivers not these dark and haunting types. I blind bought EN and have sampled Sycomore a few times and both are not my type.

karenc123
karenc123

It's very nice, but I was looking for something distinctive, and this just smells like Chanel. It's fairly weak so nobody will be offended by it.

Maxvonembs
Maxvonembs

A lovely scent but not unique at all. Sycomore is Encre Noire light(very light), no more no less. A complete waste of funds considering the price point for Encre Noire. But if one must insist they are wearing "Sycomore" from Chanel, then by all means.

It is very faint with minimal longevity, my partner and I teseted it together and then around others, everyone came to the same conclusion, Encre Noire ULTRA-light

Fraichey
Fraichey

Encre Noire meets YSL M7.

It has the same smokiness and earthiness of Encre Noire, but slightly less harsh. Yet at the same time it has a slight sweet cherry/woody/hay side to it, which rounds out the smokiness brilliantly.

Basically, it's a much more wearable and enjoyable Encre Noire. I'm not sure why this isn't marketed to men though?!

Fmorejon14
Fmorejon14

This fragrance smells very very nice for those that love vetiver. It is earthy dirty sweet vetiver with lasting power. It reminds me of vetiver fatal from atelier but it lasts a longer time. This is the best vetiver scent i own and could see myself getting a backup bottle. It is versatile and unisex. I wear this frag often and people ask what it is every time. To me is definitely the vetiver king to own.

Florestan
Florestan

Wonderful, amazingly sophistocated and full of charm; am I the only one to notice, besides the blatant resemblance with Encre Noir in the opening, the great similarity with CdG Wonderwood's creamy sandalwood note in the drydown? Layering these two scents gives a very similar result, without maybe that golden ambery freshness and superior elegance of Chanel's masterful melange! (The violet-tobacco combo is the touch of class, in my opinion!)

Bretto66
Bretto66

Another Jacques Polge masterpiece! This perfume makes you feel grateful to be alive.

Inventress
Inventress

Chanel Sycomore EdT is all about vetiver. It's definitely a unisex scent. For me, it was almost on the verge of being masculine, making it a bit difficult to wear often (I don't like masculine scents on myself). The composition itself is natural and lacks harsh elements. The closest comparison to Sycomore I can think of is sun-dried hay, still warm, with hints of the field where it came from (green, earthy elements).

olesya.soloviy
olesya.soloviy

I bought it in summer in hot day in stormy weather, literally the downtown of Toronto was flooded... So since then I always wear it in stormy weather... or when I want to create chaos around me. And it works!!! :)

Nick1992
Nick1992

Green, spicy, earthy, with a heart of cypress and wood – this is Chanel’s intoxicating Sycomore. Sycomore is an incredibly elegant scent. Utterly sublime!

Opening with full bodied vetiver, Sycomore soon presents notes of pepper, sandalwood, juniper, violet and Italian cyprus. Chanel has here emphasized the green and nutty facet of the vetiver root in a way that is wholly modern where the spicy, smoky woodiness is so well synchronised that at no time does the fragrance become dark. The eventual dry down is a soft smoky scent with a delicate aldehyde powderiness.

Sycomore is by far the most masculine of Chanel’s Les Exclusifs range; a perfectly unisex fragrance dominated by that exquisitely silken and sophisticated vetiver note. Uncluttered and straightforward it exudes a quiet and purposeful strength. Pure class.

Longevity is excellent with heavy sillage on first application that mellows to moderate after the first hour.

necrosero
necrosero

A fuller, creamier, softer version of Encre Noire. If you like EN (like I do), you'll definitely love this, it just feels like an upgrade to it. Same monster sillage and projection (at least for me). Unfortunately, the price tag may deter some lovers. It's also so similar to EN, that many could think: "why should I buy this when I can buy EN for 1/10 of the price?"
Nevertheless, my advice is this: have a full bottle of EN, and a decant of Sycomore. Can't go wrong.

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

Foliage and tall trees and dirt and all the best smells of a forest ramble, but the hiker is wearing Prada boots and an Hermes scarf. Woodland spirit turned posh socialite; dryad living on the Upper East Side

orangehaze99
orangehaze99

From the reviews, I couldn't wait to try this. I LOVE woody scents. I get a company sample, and I smell nothing but faint lemon. Someone up here did mention recently wood polish, which is, in essence, the smell of lemon. I will be honest, I am brand new to the world of vetiver. Is that where I am getting the lemon smell from? And it's not the sweet smell of lemons from a food or drink, but more the lemon smell from a candle listed as lemon verbena scented. Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if that's the vetiver I am smelling.....thank you.

Robmeister32
Robmeister32

This is a dead ringer to Lalique Encre Noire. I would rather get Lalique. Same quality for a cheaper price.

Dodgy
Dodgy

After an initial blast of peppercorns, I am left with a strong smell of vetiver, but not in a very good way...Its a sour, musty vetiver, overly heavy and a little like silage.

I can only presume it's down to me, given the raptures that it seems to get from most others...

dsty
dsty

I have a small sample of Sycomore that allowed for 2 wearings; I feel that wasn't enough to really get to know it. So I want a larger quantity as soon as possible, because after those two wearings I am sure that I love this scent. It seems to be intriguingly complex and elegantly simple at the same time: it's all wood, but there's so much going on in all that woodiness. I feel like I smell like furniture polish, but in a sophisticated way. It seems impossible, but it's true!
I love the vetiver in this, it's very strong while remaining perfectly unisex. In fact, I don't really understand why this is "for women"; to me it seems as unisex as they come. That's impressive, by the way, and makes me very happy, because I love the smell of vetiver but most strong vetiver fragrances tend to be too masculine for my taste. The supporting notes are also great: I get both dry woods and greener, moister forest smells. Altogether they make for a scent that is mysterious and full of hidden depths, but at the same time easy to wear. Great for all seasons, I think. Uplifting and quite powerful in a subtle way; it doesn't radiate but the whiffs I catch of it throughout the day always instantly improve my mood.

garett
garett

I dont have it , but i tried it.
When i opened the cap , and smelled it , it really felt like smell of urine for real which i cant believe.

Then i took another sniff , and i could say , i could smell something like burned leaves(thats why the urine kind of smell i understand)

Then i wanted to spray on my wrist , but due to the 200$ + something price on this thing , the stupid SA didnot seem like she was happy if i spray even the tester.

I am sure this scent would be amazing and devlops into something incredible and not the initial urinal experience which it seemed to exhibit.
( I think dior exclusive fragrances are better though)

Lana148
Lana148

Chanel Sycomore smells a lot like Timbuktu + Coeur de Vetiver Sacre L`Artisan.

This is beautiful green-spicy-woody fragrance, complex and intoxicating. Gorgeous vetiver, very unisex.

Gwizz
Gwizz

I'm really not sure I'd ever want to smell like anything other than this ever again. What am I supposed to do with my drawers full of other scents that have just instantly faded into black & white? This is love. A perfect fragrance dominated by an exquisite vetiver note, and supported by an all star cast of sandalwood, pepper, juniper & cypress. There's some violet peeking through also, but this thing is more than just the sum of its parts. All the various notes are so well synchronized as to create the illusion of a single virtuoso dancer. This is designated as a feminine scent, but I'd suggest completely ignoring that, this easily swings both ways...

I've had the pleasure of keeping company with a variety of amazing vetivers, thinking I had seen the best of the best from a variety of niche houses. I'd actually resisted the Chanel variety, thinking that surely the more obscure and hip my latest example was, the better it had to be. Oh how wrong I was! A masterpiece in my book and an absolute must for not only vetiver lovers, but anyone at all who is interested in the idea of an olfactory epiphany. 10/10

StarSpectra
StarSpectra

I had the same experience with Sycomore as I did with 02 L`Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes. At first sniff I thought “Oh how masculine”. Both I bought blind. I’m not one to accept failure however. I decided to live with each one for a couple of days, learn its idiosyncrasies, and become intimate with it. Then something happened in both cases. I became hooked.

Now how can a woman wear Sycomore? Well on my wrist vetiver is center stage and everything else is a backup singer. What the backup singers do is make the vetiver light, bright, and kind of airy resulting in dancing vetiver. And dancing vetiver is why this works well on a woman.

What kind of woman can wear this? Well certainly not a girly girl. I would say a pragmatic woman; one that has to interface with the “Boy’s Club”, one that knows what to do, when to do it and does it.

Can a man where this? If I was a man I would wear it in a heart beat.

johnsmunro
johnsmunro

A truly remarkable scent. In no way shape or form a women's fragrance. This is as masculine as it gets. Sure a women could wear it, but I wouldn't classify it as womanly. The vetiver in this is the star. It's dirty but wearable. Classy and wild at the same time. It's last and last and lasts. The only downside is the price tag. Does remind me of Encre Noire but is no where near as dirty. Give it a try. Happy Hunting!

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

I've been spending a lot of time with this one! I tried it at the suggestion of the Chanel rep. I normally don't think much of vetiver, although I appreciate it as an aromatherapy ingredient. Anyway, she thought it would work well with my skin chemistry and so I took home the sample. Well, turns out she was right. This is vetiver that doesn't attack and overwhelm. It is woodsy, yet has a lightness to it that makes it seasonless. While I don't get much of the individual personalities of the notes because they fuse so seamlessly to create a singular smell. That is my true hallmark of a great fragrance. I find myself reaching for it a lot and every time I wear it, I get compliments.

Sycomore is a classy lady with a casual flair. She is a professional, 30-something, she likes walks in nature, and she commands attention without intimidating. It is very flattering that the rep pegged me as one who should wear Sycomore. FB worthy for sure.

margaritatee
margaritatee

my favourite!! if they took away all the perfume in the world but said: 'margarita you can choose one to remain', i would cry 'keep sycomore!' tobacco + tea leaves. (sandal)wood and varnish. makes me feel like i've walked into an art supplies shop. i love it so hard. devastating on a man. on a woman? she's an artist. a joyful doer. this is creativity that moves and makes, no languid sensuality but active life. the juniper drydown is sweetyums.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Sycomore screams VETIVER BIG time...very green and gritty earthy tone. After you spray it on your skin and it settles a smokey/spicy scent giving it more of a masculine aroma thou it's sold as a women's frag. An excellent long lasting juice which is definitely a woodsy/spicy frag all around. Chanel produces high quality long lasting fragrance, I would love to own a bottle...can't wait. When I tested it out in a boutique, it lasted the entire day and I could still after 9hrs. Rating this juice is no question high quality 10/10

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

It opens with a very dry and smoky vetiver with tobacco. After a while a lovely soft sandalwood takes over mixed in with cypress. The sour like vetiver note though still shines within the blend.

A very good quality vetiver scent!

Cheriemc
Cheriemc

Oh, I really want this one. Classic Chanel with a twist. The Vetiver is really lovely in this, and I get a lovely powdery sweetness throughout. Very elegant, and not something you will smell on everyone. Perfume doesn't always last long on me, this one fades but I really love it anyway.

Chicago Tony T

Save your cash and get Encre Noire for men. It's 10x less. Unless you must have Chanel and have a few hundred to blow. I don't!! I am a Chanel lover majority of the time but I dislike this one simply for not being original.

Binjy
Binjy

Got a sample and have worn it all day. Love love love, BUT disappears virtually straight away on me. I am so disappointed! I love it at first spray, then poof!! It's gone. Cannot justify buying this as I would have to reapply constantly.

myownflagg
myownflagg

Epitomizes "cozy" for me as far as fragrances go. Smokey vetiver, and as it dries down, some sweetness comes through.

The first time I applied this out of a small sample vial, I was hooked. I could not stop smelling my wrist. That hardly ever happens to me with perfumes. I've gotten several uses out of my sample, and now I really need to go buy a full bottle.

Me.Teejay
Me.Teejay

Sycomore- Classy Quality Vetiver.

This is elegance in a bottle, the kind that makes you feel classy and confident, while at the same time adding a touch of mysteriousness to your character.

This was my first introduction to a vetiver dominant scent, and right after my first sniff, I fell in love with it. Soon after, I bought this to satisfy my craving for this beauty.

Upon application, I could really feel the salty vetiver in it dancing gracefully with creamy sandalwood around a campfire with a forest nearby.
They keep on dancing for hours with no intention of giving up, and transporting their audience to another dimension.

I'm surprised that this has been classified as a women's fragrance, which is something I would disagree with. This is so much more a masculine scent than a feminine one, although I can imagine a strong confident lady wearing this beauty in all its glory.

This wonderful creation deserves to be tested and worn at least once in your lifetime. You may not love it, you may not like it, but it is almost impossible not to appreciate the beauty of this simplistic yet marvelous composition.

As for longevity and projection, this fares well in both departments (as an edt). Strong projection in the first few hours,so be careful on the sprays if you're wearing it to office. Longevity is decent as well, perfect for an office day.

Sycomore, for me, is the epitome of pure class and refinement.
Every wearing of this is a pleasure to behold.
I can only hope that you try this and enjoy it as much as I do.

JaiTee
JaiTee

Sycomore has a very smokey, earthy opening -- I can even feel it hit the back of my throat. It makes me think of witches, medicine women who know what plants and herbs to use to help or harm others.

The drydown is quite different. The smoke wafts away, and a breezy sandalwood takes over. It's almost quite fresh compared to the smoke.

An amazing scent that takes you on a journey from darkness to light. It's quite unusual and has already lasted half the day and is still going strong.

At times, I still get a taste of smoke. It reminds me of 10 Corso Como, too.

Michael1962

Sycomore blended with Tom Ford Santal Blush = amazing :)

Mrbigbigtoe
Mrbigbigtoe

I am interested in this fragrance, but I don't think I'm willing to shell out $160 for an EDT

Hatleberger
Hatleberger

As much as I love vetiver in fragrances, this one was the worse one I tested. Too heavy and smoky, and frankly very plain smell. Nothing is happening with this fragrance over time - dull vetiver all the way after the smoke is gone. Veto.

chittylafemme
chittylafemme

At first I didn't get it, but after letting it sit I realize that, as someone stated earlier, this may be the most masculine feminine perfume ever. The vetiver reminds me of something I cannot put my finger on. I actually don't smell anything feminine about this whatsoever. I definitely don't hate it but I'm not sure I would be able to find an occasion to wear this. Maybe to a bonfire or something, but a Chanel perfume would be a bit pretentious on such an occasion, I think.

marios4
marios4

What a strange, on my skin i detect especially vetiver a little bit smoky (but very good) mixed with grapefruit or bergamot (like Caramelle's rewiew), but pheraps the citrusy impression could be the wet aspect of the vetiver. On my skin this could be a perfect "all day, all year" fragrance, very classy and refined, but very easy to wear, also in the hot season, very elegant, but not for teen agers.

PAK
PAK

An earthy, sensual, deeply stirring fragrance with a heart of cypress and wood . Intensely smoky as well as vetiverish (lots of vetiver. I consider this as a very elegant and luxurious smell, richly masculine, sophisticated and elegant! A must for every wardrobe that favors a nice vetiver!

Eos
Eos

Sycomore is not for me. For some reason my skin is pulling an immense amount of pepper out of this scent. Its basically a large dose of pepper and vetiver with a pinch of tobacco. The scent is achingly dry and hot, almost like dried vegetation being warmed by the sun past the point of dehydration and almost to the point where spontaneous combustion is imminent. The vetiver has a strange quality that kind of smells like preserved lime in this. There is a visceral ashy-ness to this scent adds to the perception of it smelling hot. IMO you've got to be the most self-assured of women to carry it off and not have the scent wear you.

On the plus side, it does smell wonderful on my husband! Much more balanced, less peppery and more woody and complex.

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

This is near perfection. I own close to a dozen vetiver-based scents, but this one is the most ethereal. It is simple, but profound. The Dryest Vetiver + the Creamiest Sandalwood = Sycomore. The ideal scent for the Autumn and one I can't live without. Luca Turin's review of this one is dead on.

rowanwood
rowanwood

I got this as a decant because of the "Encre Noire but better reviews" since I adore my Encre Noire, but I like to experiment...and well, it IS like Encre Noire almost exactly, but with a hint of sweetness. Sort of as if I layered my Demeter Almond under Encre Noire. But it's only been 2 hours...and its just gone. It's like I never put it on in the first place. With Encre? Its still there 12 hours later. Not worth the money. Not even close.

Update: I tested the layering mentioned...and that's it. Demeter Almond + Encre Noire = Sycomore with more longevity and better silage. It's a winning combo.

hithereimdan
hithereimdan

Very very similar to Lalique Encre Noir. A little sweeter, a little richer, a little easier to wear. Both amazing scents. You definitely get what you pay though!

rum
rum

Having purchased Sycomore, I am delighted to be reviewing it.

'A woody fire on the beach' is how this has been described before and it is definitely what drew me to sample it in the first place. I like woody scents, in fact I think now that my nose is more trained, I can safely say that I like vetiver, patchouli, cedarwood and sandalwood. This fragrance has all of the above and without a doubt vetiver is in the heart, in the opening and the base.

Based on past experiences, vetiver is often blended with citruses and to a lesser extent with other less-common notes such as tobacco. Sycomore goes against both of these trends and blends with other woods and juniper berries. The result is an unbelievably luscious dry-down and a very smoky opening. I am not too keen on the opening but it is still reminiscent of that wood fire on the beach - a picture that reminds me of corn on the cob roasted on coal just by the beach, being enjoyed right after a barbecue. Very nicely done and much more bearable than other smoky scents. A wonderful faint woody scent remains on your clothes even a day after wearing it, which seems to call out to you 'wear me again today!'.

Finally, I a brief word about the packaging (and I rarely do this): this is just what 'exclusive' should mean. Everything from the elegant box to the magnetic cap on top, to the sleek, straight lines of the bottle and the simplistic labelling make this a unique and refined fragrance to own. Expensive to get hold of (you can only get it in the boutiques), this is easily my favourite Chanel (it's also my only Chanel) and puts to shame all those other cheap attempts at 'doing' a vetiver scent. Simple, refined, perfection!

henri345que
henri345que

A Vetiver focused fragrance done by Chanel. Sycomore makes me think of winter days, and something on its dry leafy woodiness it`s cozy in an expected way - like a dark green wool sweater. The vetiver here lacks the leathery/rubberized aspect that you sometimes see on vetiver fragrances, and seems to focus more on the dry, green inky part of it. The violet extends the leafy side of vetiver, while the tobacco and sandalwood creates a smoky and relaxed background that it`s there just to support the main aroma of vetiver. The pink pepper is the part that i only get sometimes, with a discreet sweetness wich usually go unnoticed on my skin. Sycomore is very minimalistic, dark, intense and longlasting, and one of the les exclusifs that i see beeing more appreciated by Man than Woman.

AmusedMuse
AmusedMuse

A gorgeous Twin Peaks treegasm in a bottle. A bit dark and mysterious for day use. Everyone nearby wants to get a bit closer it seems. I adore this one.

Michael1962

Lucky enough to get this gem as a Christmas present.
Smooth light but earthy vetiver and creamy sandalwood with real Chanel quality in the composition.
Just perfect.

ssyed1
ssyed1

I had the opportunity to sample Sycomore when I was in NYC and I wasn't all that impressed. I did, however, end up purchasing a bottle because a lady friend really enjoyed how it smelled on me. After about a week of wearing it, though, I deeply regret that decision.

Sycomore has very little projecting power and quickly turns into a skin scent. The scent itself is very nice (I can only pick out the vetiver and a fleeting sandalwood note) but it doesn't really "wow" me and so I don't think it deserves the hefty price tag. Then again, this is the middle of winter and I suspect Sycomore was made for the spring...

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm madly in love with Sycomore

Michael1962

Sycomore,for mine,draws an immediate and favourable comparison with Dior's La Collection Couturier Parfumer Vetiver.
Both share a full bodied,grassy and honest yet sweet vetiver characteristic,except Sycomore appears less linear with the addition of a creamy sandalwood and slight tobacco undertone in place of the coffee note in Dior's offering.
I feel it is more unisex than stated above with a slight bent towards the masculine side although the right woman would be able to carry this off with aplomb.
Very sophisticated and classy and like Dior perfect for summer but would have a brilliant cosying effect for the cooler months.
Truly exquisite and sublimely refined and definitely full bottle worthy.

janjanjan
janjanjan

There is an effervescent quality to lots of Chanel perfumes that I don't care for. Some folks like that bubbly sparkle (of aldehydes?) but to my nose it lends an irritating chemical edge. Which is why wearing Sycomore was like wearing a sweater I should adore - vetiver, tobacco, spices and woods in a seamless mix. And yet it itches me so! I don't want fizzy chemicals amidst all this earthiness.

If you don't mind the signature sparkle this is certainly my favorite Chanel so far. I got several compliments test driving the sample, folks noted it matched their notions of me well and was quite pleasing. Gonna take another lap in it and see if it still bothers.

Doesn't it hurt more when something is near perfection but needs a tweak than when it's a total scrubber?!

carolcabbagerose
carolcabbagerose

I agree that this perfume is not a sweet feminine spray. It is the opposite end of sweet and sugary. Strong, long lasting, confusing. It is for day or night and once i bought it none of my others scents would do. I fell Madly in love with this..even more so as whenever I wear it I get asked what are you wearing it is gorgeous. I have watched women walk into the room sniffing the air, oohing and arrring…what is that wonderful smell. So it works. But don't tell, it is to be kept a special secret, just for you.
When I said confusing…what I meant is, that it is masculine in my opinion. I love that about it. When a women confuses those around her as to whether her aroma is is for the boys or the girls…it makes it all the more fun. It is expensive but worth it. It is exclusive and that is even better….keep the mystery..x

sussex2
sussex2

Once the delicious top notes have faded Sycomore is noticeably similar to Encre Noire. The cyprus note is not as sharp in the Chanel and the whole effect is a bit softer and more rounded. At twice the price comes a small but definite increase in quality and refinement - the way it goes with most luxury products.

As Alan Partridge might be heard to quip: "lovely stuff!"

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

SMOKIN' EVERGREEN

Initially, that is. Maybe 30 minutes in the smokiness disappears and I'm left with a sophisticated green fragrance.

I've yet to sample Encre Noir - so can't compare.

However, if you really like a strong, long lasting smokey green, sample Slumberhouse Nome. It's Sycomore X 10.

For vetiver, my favorite, so far, is Creed's Original.

ps. I think Sycomore can be easily worn by both men and women.

ranchorita
ranchorita

Chanel's Sycomore is the most sumptuous version of vetiver, to my nose. Juniper and cypress are quite prominent for me, early, but the drydown seems almost a straightforward vetiver, and I absolutely adore it. Sillage is rather close and won't overwhelm those around you, and the longevity is good and sustained, but not overpowering, either. Love this, but I think I'm going to love smelling it on Le Boyfriend even more. The top notes seem more masculine to me, but I think this will work equally well for any woman who prefers a vetiver-heavy scent. Absolutely stunning with high-quality accords all the way through. I'm tempted to recommend this as a safe blind-buy for people who love vetiver and have the patience to wait for the dry down. Stunning.

Veteverian
Veteverian

Sycomore, Les Exclusives de CHANEL

Sycomore is universally described as a vetiver and sandalwood combination. Imagine how vetiver smells. Now imagine the scent of sandalwood. Now mix those two in your imagination. Did that? Good. What you got probably smells nothing like Sycomore. Yes, Sycomore has a dominant vetiver note. And yes, the vetiver rests on a base of deep, creamy sandalwood, which is impossible to miss in this fragrance. But taking vetiver oil, and mixing it with some sandalwood (Australian or Mysore) will not give you anything close to the masterpiece that is Sycomore. What you will lack are: an enormous depth; a tasteful balance; a fleeting smokiness; an airy lightness; and loads of imagination provoking elements of the brand behind this perfume, not to mention the bottle … what a bottle.

Sycomore is best in the opening. The top notes are sharp, smoky, sweet, but most of all, clear. There is something urban and glamorous about it. The opening is a gust of cold wind on a Friday night in late November, giving you a refreshing slap on the face as you step out of the warmth of your car, and set on your way to wherever the celebration is tonight. It expands your lungs and makes you breath deep, with a full chest. You notice a sweetness to it, which reminds you that the holidays are coming. As you walk, you see the mannequins in the department store windows and pretty people on the streets.

While widely perceived to be linear, I have to say that Sycomore makes a big change about 15 minutes in, when it enters the mid notes. Specifically, the chest expanding burst of whatever aroma chemicals (aldehydes? Iso E Super?) dies down, and it feels like somewhere along the way you had a change of plans, and instead of an evening of alcohol and dancing, you spent the night in the comfort of someone’s home (your own?) and good company.

In the mid notes, vetiver comes out stronger, but never overpowers the creamy and sweet sandalwood base. At this point this scent is very well balanced, with a little smokiness, a little sweetness, a little freshness, and a little woods. It stays this way for the next 6 hours on my skin.

It is perfectly pleasant, and irresistible. There isn’t a single unpleasant element in it. Every molecule that enters your nose is aimed straight for the pleasure centers of your brain, and for the higher levels of your imagination. There is nothing carnal or wild about it. It makes you think of being a better man, and having a better, quieter, more meaningful life.

Overall, this is a staple in my wardrobe. It is terrifically composed, publicly accessible, and easy to wear. I deeply regret that the opening does not last forever - those top notes are indescribable.

veteverian.wordpress.com

jhitt793
jhitt793

I was really excited to try out this fragrance after I had seen it included in a number of top 10 fragrance videos on YouTube. It certainly did not disappoint. This is a vetiver based scent unlike any other. It opens with a vegetal and smoky dampness, as though one is standing under a mossy canopy of trees after a rain shower. Ethereal aldehydes sweep gently through, and blend beautifully with the subtle violet flower. The included spice notes are added to underline the soft peppery quality of the vetiver and tobacco mixture. I love this for fall, and plan on investing in a bottle soon. (90)

big love.
it's so grand. I have to pull myself together not to switch back to perfume-monogamy...
(and hell no! I don't find it similar to encre noire!)

EDIT concerning the above comparison: SYCOMORE and ENCRE NOIRE smell of vetiver, right. and vetiver is generally likely to overpower other notes if used as a strong key-note, but SYCOMORE has a gentle sandalwood and softly sweet violet- vibe, that ENCRE NOIRE completely lacks. SYCOMORE is much warmer, spicier and softer all in all. ENCRE NOIRE is straighter, cooler, has this well-known easy to identify iso-e-super part, these distinctive metallic and quite sour "inky" notes. and btw, I love both, SYCOMORE obviously more, because it's easier to think as a feminine perfume. it includes aswell a soft cologne-like note, that I only discovered after wearing the lightly musky chanel-cologne of my husband quite often. Like the Eau de Cologne, SYCOMORE has a flowery citrus aspect, that gives it lighter shades of green.
I would really like to claim the thesis that EN and Sycomore don't even smell like the same vetiver (haitian/ java/ reunion/ india, sycomore smells more specific and encre noire like a mix), but unfortunately I can only guess. so I have to check it out to be sure- if someone knows, please write!

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

To date this is the finest Vetiver fragrance I have tried. It is simple and classy, understated and refined. It is unisex although perhaps slightly more suited to a man. It is not heavy or rich but has good longevity and a certain subtle warmth. It is not challenging and is easy to wear. After the drydown it is a consistent and fairly linear scent. It is all about vetiver with a very subtle smooth undertone of sandalwood. Projection and sillage are modest and it is 'well mannered'. You forget you are wearing it but every now and again you get a waft of vetiver fragrance that is charming. Perfect for work or casual and could easily become my signature scent. Some people compare it to Encre Noir. Apart from the prominent vetiver note, to me at least, they are very different in character. Sycamore is classy and seems more natural, whereas Encre Noir is more brash with a very prominent cyprus note, and a certain synthetic vibe in there. Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle is closer, and is perhaps a bit more intense and a little greener and 'brighter', and is very pleasing, but for me Sycamore has a more pleasant base. The House of Chanel does vetiver...lovely.

Jpon
Jpon

When I sprayed it on me at the store it was a delight from the beginning to the end, during a whole day and night. I love sandalwood, and Samsara is one of my favorites, and this perfume was all about sandalwood to me and very feminine. However, when I started using a sample from the Chanel boutique, I could not believe it was the same stuff. I don't hear any sandalwood, just an unpleasant smoke together with mint, that linger and don't evolve in anything else for hours, staying as a heavy masculine fragrance. The culprit might be in the difference of the climate in Las Vegas and where I live. It reminds me again about to not hurry buying perfume after trying it for the first time. Still, I love N5 always and everywhere.

SneezeFreeze
SneezeFreeze

Something must have changed recently about this (reformulation or whatever). Hey it smell damn good from start to finish - but that's like 2 hours. Not worth the price tag.

miticothor
miticothor

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 2 (it's not bad)

Sillage: 0

Time length: 0 (30 min., max 1 h. but very very near skin)

130 Euro per 75 ml? Once again, I'm without words...!!

Quality/price? 0.:(

Scent: 4 (It's ok, very good)

Sillage: 1

Quality/Price: 2.5

Caramelle
Caramelle

Sycomore is a perfume that smells good from start to finish to me.It's dark,but not heavy.Surprisingly it works really well in hot weather.There is a fresh top note,possibly citrus, but it's not piercing.
Shortly after the top notes are gone,I get a creamy nutty warmness which is slightly sweet.I adore this phase.Later the nuttiness subsides and the drydown is woody and quiet and easy to wear.
This is a perfume that works great year around and on all occasions.I love to wear it on difficult days at work because it smells professional to me and still comforting.

aschiffm
aschiffm

earthy transparent and green vetiver. only slightly smoky to me, more just of a natural green scent and pretty masculine. i actually prefer chanel no 19 way more in terms of green scents...more edgy and mysterious and more interesting.

skipster
skipster

It seems almost impossible to comment on Sycomore without mentioning Encre Noire. Traditions must be obeyed, so here is my personal experience - appropriately copypasted from my Encre Noire review:

After having enjoyed Encre Noire during almost two years I finally got the chance to sample the hard-to-get Sycomore in Chanel’s famous Paris shop in 31 Rue Cambon. First impression was ”This is just Encre Noire – what’s the point?”. But after an hour I realized that the feeling was very different in spite of the similar basic idea.

Encre Noire is dark, brooding, earthy, masculine, and very linear. Sycomore is warmer, friendlier, more anisic, unisex, shimmering, and feels more complex, unquestionably due to more exclusive ingredients.

I decided to buy Sycomore in spite of the rather hefty price tag, and the two scents will now be my trustful companions for years to come. Encre Noire will remain one of my winter favorites, when I want to make the best of gloom and snow. Sycomore will be for whenever I want that little extra treat for myself (and my wife can use it too).

Whether Sycomore is worth the extra money is up to you. Moi? Je ne regrette rien.

Roge'
Roge'

When i was visiting Vegas, i stopped by the Chanel boutique in the Bellagio. I thought about all you Sycomore/Encre Noire fans too. I read the reviews and heard the rumors and i must say....Sycomore does smell identical to Encre Noire. For once, the people got it right. Usually, the comparisons are waaaaaay off. Just from the opening alone, that familiar " Elmer's glue note" dominates the top. Sycomore was sprayed on paper so therefore i can't comment on longevity or projection.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

This is Encre Noir - except the Encre Noir lasts a lot longer and costs far less.

-------

Sample wearing for a day: Count me as really unimpressed. It smells fine going on, but, really, it's Encre Noire with major longevity and silage problems.

hippopotamus
hippopotamus

Yes! Best vetiver I've found so far. Smoky, but fresh, and I get some acidity, like rhubarb or something, in there too. Truly exclusif, in both quality, longevity, composition and availability.

cezarmac
cezarmac

Please allow me to do a simple complementary on all those beatiful reviews.I see nobody talking about The duo Christopher Sheldrake and Jacques Polge.How could Sycomore not to be a masterpiece?Behind those "guys" we have Ambre Sultan,Borneo,MKK,Coromandel,31 Rue cambon is it okay for you?I mean no matter which group it belongs the result will be nothing else than flawless.
Get it soon as possible :)

darrshan77
darrshan77

Review of DARRSHAN

First of all this frag is for the vetiver lovers only.

now i just fell in love at the very first sniff itself by far the best vetiver perfume in recent times, guerlain vetiver is too much and encre noir by lalique is very close to skin wereas sycomoe is very balanced and class it smells perfect with a little sweetness in it and still the vetiver is prominent and stands out softly 2thumbs up

girasolina
girasolina

After all these poems by the divine comedy that describe this as the vetiver Avatar, I try and say to get off from the ship!
About this scent I can only say good things, but maybe we are talking about Chanel and how we juggle?! makes me so angry when people's passion is blind.
But are we really so stupid to spend so much money for a perfume that is certainly very good, but synthetic and not complicated.
I guarantee that it is identical to his brother "minor" (less only in the price) that lasts exactly the same time.
Syco, Syco, at least if you could stay on the skin for a little more ...
Betray you with Lalique Encre Noir, without a second thought.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I wore this the other day and was surprised by how familiar this scent was to me. I had smelled these notes before, but not in a perfume but rather at a restaurant. I'm on the wood deck of one of my favorite restaurants looking out at the water,in front of me is a Bloody Mary and shrimp cocktail with sauce. There is an essence of wood from the deck below me, a note of spice from the horseradish in the cocktail sauce, and a vegetative green note from the celery in my drink. In the background something a little burnt, from the exhaust of cars passing by. The vetiver here is very true to the essential oil. It is a unique fragrance, but one I cannot wear without getting hungry.

JourneymanDave
JourneymanDave

Based on a decant wear test: Opens with a quick rush of indistinguishable woody/green notes, settling quickly to a straight up vetiver; and then that's it, so far as I get.

Reminds me of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver a bit, with the pungency of the vetiver dialed back just a notch, and a tad smoother. However, it projects less, and is overall a less-interesting frag. It is probably equal to TFGV in my eyes, but not superior, and won't be replacing it in my wardrobe. Or Guerlain Vetiver. Or Vetiver Extraordinaire. Or pretty much any other respectable vetiver frag.

Decent longevity, about 5hrs for me. Not offensive, so office-safe, although not overly formal, so I would pick my spots to wear this one. For the price, it wouldn't be a go-to for casual wear. I'm honestly a little lost on where this would be my #1 choice.

If this were the only vetiver I had, it'd be just fine. Because I have others that do the job as well though, this one won't be a FB purchase.

jht4060
jht4060

Chanel Sycomore is a beautiful creamy vetiver with elegance written on every facet of its accord and bottle. The scent is very nearly linear to my nose and is composed predominantly of a sweet vetiver, creamy sandalwood, and pink peppercorn. "Sweet" vetiver as opposed to smokier vetivers - don't expect Sycomore to smell candy sweet. There is a perfect balance between the dark rooty vetiver note (with that indescribable something that makes us love it) and creamy refined sandalwood (more likely Javanol), with some pink peppercorn and a touch of violet brightening the composition. All those other notes may be there, but for me they are worked into the fabric and I don't pick them out as individuals. Sycomore is creamier and brighter and has a stronger vetiver note than that mainstream paragon of vetiver, Encre Noir; I love them both. The Sycomore bottle has the understated simplicity that Chanel uses for their high-end perfumes and a solid feeling magnetic cap that I love to snap back onto the bottle (it sounds odd, but if you have one of the bottles you will know what I mean).

Sycomore exudes elegance and sophistication. It makes me feel tall, slender, calm, and aristocratic even when I am wearing jeans and a t-shirt and wishing I could lose 10 lbs. I can always hope someone else is fooled - perhaps to them my image is overlaid by a faint tuxedo mirage. We all need our dreams.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

so excited to finally get a bottle of this, and im underwhelmed. i dont know if i had built up expectations impossibly high, or that encre noir is a hard act to follow. sycomore is an indisputably quality scent, but somehow in that typical chanel bloodline of being "just right" in proportions loses some of its uniqueness. im reminded of whats missing here by Edgar Alan Poes take on things “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”

williamvargas
williamvargas

when I started discovering fragrances again, watching some of the videos of reviewers on you tube, this was my first bottle purchase, was able to find a good size bottle that someone was selling because they had used some of it, I had some samples from chanel.
costly for me but I thought it looks like a good buy, it was legit.this has to be just one of the most beautiful scents I have come across, I used to wear it more often, it wasn't my wife's cup of tea, she thought it would smell better on a man..i used to get some very nice comments...wow, what is that scent? who is wearing cologne? .manly, but as sweet as a man could smell and still smell masculine..if you love vetiver and some earthy smokey scent along with it.almost reminded me of Johnson's baby shampoo. probably not a good comparison but it had that clean sweet scent like that. and the longevity is amazing ..a breathtaking scent..i used to spray some on each wrist and one shot to my chest, that was all I needed.forget how wonderful this is. there are certainly a lot of vetivers out there. I love lots of them , but I will always come back to this one and I always will use this one for a point of reference.

maltayeb

Is it good for night wear, dates?

aveilhe
aveilhe

There are only two fragrances that have nearly brought tears of beauty to my eyes, and Sycamore is one of them (the other was Malle's Portrait of a Lady).

This is the most stunning use of Vetiver that I have ever had the pleasure to inhale: deeply earthy, yet soft and sensual. Green, nutty, smoky...yet also creamy and elegant. The Vetiver is present from the start but becomes more pronounced the longer it warms on the skin.

The aldehyde, pepper, and juniper top notes are sharp and dry, but the sandalwood brings a light creaminess to the overall effect and lends a diffuse softness that is rare in a Vetiver-heavy scent. The sandalwood and cypress also contribute an overall woodiness to the fragrance, and in combination with the tobacco, lend a smoky nuance.

The addition of spice notes create a fragrance that can only be described as smoldering.

An absolute stunner and a must for Vetiver aficionados!

maltayeb

Is it good for night wear, dates?

Smelly beast
Smelly beast

Sycomore is definetely the best vetiver out there IMHO. The vetiver is very proiminent giving a dark, dry, rooty woodines to the composition and Its very smoky and pepery too, almost incensy, I guess its because of the tabaco and the pink pepper. It´s not as angular or out there as it may seem though. The sandalwood and the aldehydes cut all the pointy corners making it very confortable an cousy to wear. Often people compare it to Encre Noir, they are indeed similar but Sycomore is much more polite and elegant.
A must in every vetiver lover collection.

5 out of 5

Mistawho
Mistawho

The vetiver, iris, sandalwood, aldehyde mix acts as a magic carpet ride to destinations unknown and most likely to be exciting. The aura created by this scent can generate a transparent glow that affects others perception of the wearer's nobility.

spoombung
spoombung

This is all about Vetiver and not much else. I smell 90% Vetiver and a very small element of other nicely blended ingredients. It's a lot like Malles's Vetiver Extraordinare.

Elegant and quite masculine, IMO.

nada
nada

I was hoping for something more refined and unique after all this fuss about Chanel les exclusives. But nothing new - exact copy of encre noir as everyone notices.

SuperUltraFabulous
SuperUltraFabulous

Take poblano chiles and roast them directly over flame. The piquant aroma of charred vegetal flesh wafting in the air has been bottled as Chanel Sycomore. (Be on the lookout for Chanel’s next Exclusif, Chanel Frijoles)... :-)

Sycomore is rich to the point of being sticky on the skin. The vetiver note by itself is bitter and spicy, and this is where Chanel has failed, bitter notes of red pepper and spice are added ancillary notes to an already bitter and spicy center stage performer, the vetiver. The tobacco, sandalwood, saffron, juniper notes are realistic but do nothing to liven the mood. Sure, Sycomore is replete with realistic notes and fabulous note separation but more is required. I have tried a few vetivers and the vetiver note in this perfume is the most organic/earthy and natural smelling of them all, even beating out Vetiver Extraordinare which is blurry by comparison. Only Guerlain is the closest in three dimensionality (although last time I tried it, I got a petroleum vibe). Nevertheless, where is the joie de vivre?

Perhaps your skin chemistry will enliven this fragrance and save it from the gothic gourmand category, but for me there are better choices. For starters, I would look at Chanel's own Allure Homme Blanche. Citrus notes keep the vetiver from being too cold and lifeless, there's even the red pepper note.
Guerlain also does a excellent vetiver with touch of warmth from citrus notes...but watch out for the petrol. Am I forgetting someone? Lalique! Encre Noire does not have the same organismal rendition of vetiver, but it's very excellent. More importantly the fragrance has life. Sure, the woodnotes are heavily supported by Iso E Super but this nets you incredible projection and longevity. There is a greeness that makes this fragrance exhilarating too. From beginning to end Encre Noire is the archetype in all meaningful parameters.

Try Sycomore then buy Encre Noire.

Gashtasb
Gashtasb

Save your buck and get yourself the Encre Noire, smells exactly the same! I checked it out at the Chanel boutique, everything all poshed up of course, I sprayed this and took a sniff, and immediately said this smell exactly like EN, which I loath (to say the least), and the guy helping me got almost offended lol Then Mr Snob went on to explain how the top notes may be similar but the base notes yada yada yada, and at the end I said it again, true but this smells just like EN... and the guy frustratingly smiled lol

AveParfum
AveParfum

At first this smelled really woody and soft. Then my nose quickly picked up a rich and smoky vetyver. But my ecstasy was interrupted when I started smelling a lot of sour, acidic, orange or lemon. Memories of Diptyque's sour Vetyverio flooded through my mind, and I started thinking Sycomore was not for me. As time wore on, I started to realize that the sour citrus wasn't bothering me so much because the vetyver was so incredibly smoky; just drop-dead gorgeous, like a uber-sexy brunette with smoked-out cat's eye makeup. It really balances the sourness and makes it much easier for me to like. The base reveals honey-coated tobacco leaves. This is nothing like Diptyque, it's so much better! While this is not yet my favorite vetyver, I still give it a solid "thumb's up."

havanaman
havanaman

Where can I find this perfume in the Washington, DC area?

silagelover
silagelover

Initially I sprayed this on paper and thought it was really bright and refreshing sandal wood, like tam dao but without the creamy sweetness. There must have been something wrong with my nose that day but I didn't really notice much vetiver. Eventually I decided to wear this to class and since I thought it was a lighter fragrance I sprayed on A LOT. Right away I noticed a blast of aldehydes and very nice realistic sandalwood and a salty note, slowly as it settled I got an increasing amount of molassesey smokey vetiver along with some pepper and spice. Once in class I caught a whiff of what I thought was cannabis and started looking around the room to see who the offender was...turns out it was me. From about an hour into wearing it until it wore off I smelled like kinda like I was walking around with a pocket full of really amazing smelling expensive weed. Overall though I really like Sycamore, it's a crisp and clean yet complex scent that is definitely unisex.

oilizer
oilizer

Syncomore is dominated by vetiver and woody scents. It is very similar to Encre Noir though ambience/presence of the two scents are polar opposites. Sycomore has presence of warm steamy cloud that makes me feel smothered and nauseated where as EN has presence of cool wet dark forest fog that feels mysterious and clean. I feel the relation between Sycomore and EN is similar to relation between Montale Red Vetyver and Terre d'Hermes (though between the latter, I prefer warmer presence of RV). I have to admit it has been awhile since I tried EN and my opinion might be somewhat askewed as I tried EN in outdoors where as I tried Sycomore indoors...

CDGfan
CDGfan

This has been reformulated for sure. I have a 2008 and a 2012 bottle. The 2008 has a strong smoky note due to the Bourbon vetiver used, longevity is excellent.The current formulation lacks that smoky burnt note and has a stronger sandalwood component. The 2008 edition was a stunner 10/10, 7/10 for the reformulation.
I would stick to Encre Noir to be honest.

Tramm
Tramm

I am a die hard 31 Rue Cambon wearer but I occasionally try a different Exclusif. To me, this did not smell like a fragrance for a woman or man. While it is a lovely room fragance, There is no way I would wear this and subject other people to having to put up with me. Sorry, but I just dont get all the positive reviews.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Sycomore is a very elegant and high-class rendition of Vetiver. Other aromas come into play to complement very nicely and exquisitvely the Vetiver aroma, but make no mistake, the star here is a beautiful smell of Vetiver. It will be with you from start to end.

When you smell Sycomore you'll get the impression that you are smelling a very posh fragrance. This is vetiver in tuxedo or a gala gown (depending on sex). The vetiver is smoky and very fragrant. It is contrasted by a sweetness, just the right amount, coming from the background (I detect some sweet spices) and freshened by a light violet aroma. There is a little sandalwood or other woody aromas accompanying the vetiver. These woodsy scents do not stand out a lot, but simply round the vetiver a little bit, making the vetiver woodier and less grassy.

There may be other scents but they are so well blended that I cannot distinguish them individually. In all, this is a vetiver with a surrounding redolence that elevates Sycomore to a very classy, elegant and exuberant place.

When you wear Sycomore, you will feel you are wearing a very opulent and distinguished fragrance. You'll have a taste of real Chanel at its highest class. You are uptown.

I don't know however why Chanel classifies this fragrance as a feminine perfume. At the very least it should be labeled "unisex".

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Sycomore is without a doubt the best Exclusif, a work of art with a beautiful vetiver reconciled tobacco. Aldehydes with a floral tone puts the necessary refinement and chip quality of this wonderful house.
  A sandalwood complementing and giving intriguing and becoming the evolution of Lalique Encre Noire, brighter and richer.
A must have for those addicted to vetiver.

inna borodina
inna borodina

At first, I did not know what to make of it. The strong burned wood smell ironically reminded me of a ... BBQ))) But several months later I tried once more and I love it! I use it daily, in the office too and got a lot of compliments.
The smell is very unusual, I do not think will do well for a younger woman. Can be worn as unisex too.

arxsyn
arxsyn

Other than no18, sycomore was the other eau that really intrigued me when i first discovered chanel's artisanal niche range.

Also it was my first experience with vetiver. So that's what makes it special for me as well. I felt so sophisticated, so put together, exuding a calm competance. Not overly flowery, just green, grassy airy smokiness and a hint of spice. a tiny bit masculine, a little testosterone boost to survive the boardrooms. A great thing to aspire to little as i was, at the tender age of 23.

I definitely aspire to buy a flacon in future because of the wellbeing i feel. Some people moan about reformulations of their favourite vetiver fragrances (rive gauche, anyone?) These people ought to jump ship and get this instead. It will become a new favourite for sure.

And this is a great unisex one, that can be worn anytime, anywhere. There is an easy non fussy effortlessness tothis and should you buy a giant flacon of this, this is a great his and hers perfume that's meant to be shared. Remember, sharing is caring!

fuggerone
fuggerone

rounder than encre noir on the same wavelenght though, love them both maybe prefer encre

djcrybetty
djcrybetty

This is a unisex vetiver, definitely not a typical feminine fragrance, men can wear this too. It is rather dry and peppery, the vetiver is present throughout. I find it more earthy/rooty than woodsy. It is lovely and definitely not a "mainstream" generic scent. Highly recommended if you need something different.

kida2010
kida2010

If your sitting there mystified as to what this might smell like apart from the descriptions, it really is the same as Encre Noire so if you know that then you dont have to order any samples like did! It is more refined and smoother and a touch more smokey rather than noire's inkyness.

TerryM
TerryM

I love vetiver frags and this is my most favorite. Vetiver Tonka is great, but Sycomore has much more staying power. I can also detect a strong leather accord. This is a wonderful fragrance for both men and woman.

kit1982

The poll is correct. This really reminds me of Encre Noir. But you can notice the difference after few minutes, Encre Noir goes to the direction of clean woody ink smell and Sycomore, by this time, has a dirty woody smoke scent.

I like this a lot. This is my travel scent, very versatile.

MademoiselleMaya
MademoiselleMaya

It smells like Le Feu d'Issey on me. Unfortunately, it stays the same the whole time, which is why I prefer Le Feu.

Garyjames
Garyjames

A comfort scent with a dark side.
If it wasn't a touch dry, it would be a perfect fragrance. Full-bottle-worthy, smoky, wonderful vetiver.

PlunketNurse
PlunketNurse

Those who have lived a certain type of live will know, and associate this "deep smoky" smell to the smell of cannabis , or as we call it Marijuana, but more specifically joint ; a mixture of tobacco and Marijuana in its unprocessed form. I do believe it is a mixture of cigarette tobacco and the muted green vetiver in the background drop very reminescent of the oily viscous THC laden plant, the plant itself often dried into a sticky compact state high in resin and tar-ish materials. Though a fascinating scent and a Holy Grail for some, it is one i CANNOT enjoy at all, it is no novelty or happy memory. Try Timbuktu for a bone dry rendition of the same base.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

This reminded me of the smell of an open pine forest and pine cones: fresh, woody zesty with a hint of comfort. Much like the sycomore tree Compared to some of the other exclusifs the lasting power was a bit better. But sillage is still very modest. If the perfume was an era it would be pre-war 1930's: refined and classic. It would make a good daytime office scent, but lacks the calibre to pull any punches.

carpp79
carpp79

Sycomore is my Monday to Friday scent (I spend my weekends at home wearing my PJ, so I try my other fragrances). Just perfect for a work day: dry, classy but simple, and classic, definitely. I wouldn't manage a life without it. Thank God I've stocked up (it's not being discontinued, by the way, just a precaution). Amazing scent. Polge & Sheldrake, you're the best!

pdxhb
pdxhb

In a word: Elegant.

This was astonishing right out of the vial. My only criticism is that it lacks staying power and sillage - but the subtlety of the composition may be part and parcel of that. In comparing to Encre Noir, it's quieter but there is a similar feel overall. On me it's far cooler in temperature effect than Guerlain Vetiver (which is very warm and round in the drydown).

This fragrance reminds me of how a room smells after japanese temple incense is done burning. It opens smoky like lapsang souchong yet is crisp and light; it's a relief that the lightness does not mean 'overly simple' as it progresses. Sandalwood is a facet but sharper with the vetiver which comes rolling in minutes into wearing it. This is airy enough that it wears almost like a citrus, close to the skin. If you like the smokey opening, it could be a good gateway to vetiver.

Hours later after a work day, I still get wafts of vetiver and some spice, but it's subtle and easy to layer an evening fragrance over this. I see wearing Sycomore like a cool grey silk blouse and tailored trousers - sensual and businesslike all at the same time. Sycomore does not shout and can be just as comfortable at the beach on the weekend as it is in a conference room. There is a complexity to the notes which complement the vetiver with an effervescent effect; nearly salty but more seasonless and, if this makes sense, less material. It's definitely not sporty on me but could be worn by a more sporty person well - it's not compromising or forgiving but is quiet enough that only the people you allow near will know just how lucky they are.

I was given a sample of this in a swap but didn't know what it was. At first, it reminded me of a Cabaret or Rose 31 type scent. Clearly, there was plenty of iso e super. After a while I could smell the vetiver. I really dislike these kinds of fragrances, so I hardly ever wear them; hence, my evaluation may seem crude. That evaluation can be summed up as follows: take Cabaret and Encre Noire, combine them. This is smoother and softer, though.

Grottola

It's amazing how time can change one's perspective on things, sometimes. In this case, I'm starting to enjoy Sycomore even more than I did before, probably due to the fact that my friend Matt and I almost recreated the stuff.

We decided to take a chance at making fragrances, and we ordered some stuff, Haitian Vetiver and Iso E Super being two things in particular that we ordered. We were mixing other things we ordered, when I suggested mixing the vetiver with Iso E Super, and lo and behold, and I exclaimed "This smells like Sycomore!"

Excited that I felt like Jacques Polge, and that Matt may have been Christopher Sheldrake, I went home to compare the two fragrances, and that's when I noticed just how high-quality Sycomore is; yes, it has a certain dullness to it, but it's almost like it's lying dark and dormant, like a volcano that's asleep but ready to explode at any moment. It has both saltiness and smokiness; and most of all, a heartbeat.

Now, to think what the result would be if this volcano DID erupt...

EnPassant
EnPassant

Well... Vetiver is a very strange note to me... I don´t like it very much... But here it's so classy and beautiful... Not so dry as Encre Noire!!! And come on people... Sycomore is much much better!!!

There´s an extraordinary vetiver into it... but there´s also an addictive thing that keeps me coming back for more! This is a wonderful fragrance from "The Exclusifs" and my second favorite (Coromandel always first).

For sure *Smelly Beast* is absolutely right!!!

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

I got in on a split on this one..wished I would have gotten more than 10ml maybe I will split this one this fall! This is gorgeous the vetiver in this is like no other I have experienced. It is green yet smokey. It is fresh, creamy, smokey, green...woodsy...just down right beautiful. I may get back to reviewing this one fully but I really want to do it justice. One word TRY!!!!!!!!!

transitionalobjects
transitionalobjects

Sycomore is so beautiful I cannot praise it enough. Lost for words, but I will try. Earthy but sophisticated, crisp but with depth and an alluring weight (but not at all 'heavy'). Suitable for every season, and every occcasion. I know that men do wear Sycomore, but to me and to those I know who know me, it suits a feminine woman too. Worth the search and the price. Unforgetable.

Kamicha
Kamicha

Gorgeous, spaciously green, dry and foresty vetiver. I love how aldehydes work for this scent, giving it a vivid 3D effect - perfect dosage of them with all the benefits, zero headache or granny vibes.

Wearing Sycomore feels like walking a shadowy path through the ancient woods, smelling the twigs and leaves crushing under your feet - a whiff of bitterness in the air gives away the presence of a bog nearby...

Despite of all these foresty connotations the vetiver in Sycomore gets a beautiful, grapefruit-like bitter aroma. Personally I love this facet of vetiver...

It's perfectly contemporary and timeless at the same time. Not a tool for seduction - but an olfactory joyride for sure.

Hilaire
Hilaire

My sample of this was a huge disappointment to me. Maybe it's because I have an odd chemical relationship with Vetiver, but honestly Sycomore is a virtual non-entity on me. I have to cram my wrist right up to my nose to even catch a hint of it.

And what do I smell once my wrist is thus crammed? Iso E-Super. Far be it for me to contradict so many other intelligent reviewers (or indeed Chanel themselves) who talk about the wonderful notes of Sycomore at length, but this smells like Terre d'Hermes EdT after having stood on the wing of a biplane for a few hours to me.

Washed out, a ghost of a perfume.I even suspected I might be slightly anosmic to Vetiver... but I asked others if they could smell Sycomore on me while I was sampling it. They couldn't. A pity.

lalig
lalig

To me Sycomore is a fresh green vetiver, very suitable for a man but to my taste,too green for a woman to wear. and it reminds me of Cristalle eau vert.

noor85
noor85

Encre Noire is way better than Sycomore, EN is kind of fragrance that i would pay hundreds to have a bottle of this masterpiece but wouldn`t pay $110 2.5 oz for sycomore, i`m not against Sycomore i really like it it`s sexy but EN is unbelievabley sexy scent, plus sycomore has very weak projection but good longevity.

kit1982

I have Sycomore and Encre Noir. Sycomore is more refined.

This and Timbuktu are my favorite vetiver fragrance.

Rob Frost
Rob Frost

Sycomore was a interesting experience for me.

I always thought that I liked vetiver very much. I never smelled it in its pure form and therefore I have no actual way of knowing what it smells like - and apparently not every vetiver smells the same.

I own several perfumes that either have vetiver in their name and/or as one of their main ingredients and so I've come to think that I have a pretty good idea of what vetiver smells like: green, fresh, earthy. But I never knew for sure.

Sycomore is said by some to be one of the vetiver fragrances and hence I was excited when I received a sample vial. And boy was I in for a surprise.

I can't say that Sycomore doesn't bear a a remote resemblance to my other vetiver fragrances. There is a faint glimpse in Sycomore of what I love in those other perfumes.

But other than that: Yuck with a capital Y. I hate the smell of Sycomore. To me, it's almost stomach-turning. Green, fresh, earthy? No. Rotting wood.

Is this the true, pure, unmasked smell of vetiver? Or is there just a different kind of vetiver in Sycomore? Or is there something else in Sycomore that makes it smell like it smells?

Update:

I got a decant of Montale Red Vetyver today. While I find it not as bad smelling as Sycomore, there is indeed an unpleasant resemblance.

Strange. I never got this (to my nose) nasty note from, say, Guerlain Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Terre d'Hermès, to name three vetiver-featuring fragrances that I like/love. Maybe the vetiver that these fragrances use is chemically different or from a different geographical origin?

maab
maab

The most exquisite Vetiver I've ever smelled.

maw808
maw808

First, my perspective is that of a Hawaii Vetiver farmer, who anticipates and relishes the bold release of fragrance as a row of Vetiver is harvested. You will be mistaken to believe that all Vetiver smells the same. To my nose, Haitian and Hawaiian Vetiver are smoky, rounder and sweeter/greener; Indonesian Vetiver is earthy/dirty/burnt, with weighty notes of burned tobacco, and; Vetiver from Reunion/Bourbon Islands is linear, pungent, and acrid. I eagerly awaited the release of Jacques Polge's Sycomore and was among the first in line when our Chanel boutique received its shipment. I was not disappointed. Polge's original Sycomore was a beautiful Haitian Vetiver fragrance, remarkably true to this warm, complex essence (Vetiver essential oil is one of the most complex, containing more than 42 different components. If you warm a drop or two of Vetiver EO by rubbing it briskly between your hands, it will release a highly aromatic, satisfying, and long-lasting fragrance). However, given its price and availability, I decided to wait. By the time I'd decided to buy it--and did--Sycomore had been reformulated as a Bourbon Vetiver-based juice. Now I'm stuck with two full bottles of Bourbon Vetiver-based fragrances--Sycomore and Encre Noire--that I abhor!! You've undoubtedly noticed that the overwhelming majority of Vetiver fragrances opens with a citrus accord. However, even a citrus opening cannot soften or distract from a razor-sharp Bourbon Vetiver blast. Sorry, but the new(er) Sycomore--and Encre Noir--are simply nasty.

iivanita
iivanita

to me it smells soo sweeet..its not for men...like it has bergamot in it too...but its not on the list? its not so sofisticated as 31 rue cambon....but i like it so much because of that smoky smell thats really not overwhelming, smells grassy :)
here is from wikipedia:The odor of vetiver oil is described as deep, sweet, woody, smoky, earthy, amber, balsam

thats exactly how this here smells

archieru99
archieru99

This is just simply beautiful. Smells to me of painting a fence with creosote while drinking a cup of Lapsong Souchong tea. Try spraying a little on your pillow for a restful sleep.

jsnat1227

Early Spring. I have a meandering creek through my backyard. I often wonder, where does this creek go? I imagine buying a raft, stocking supplies, and after a substantial rain, I go drifting towards a larger river, towards adventure. That what Sycamore is to me.

Sprintime, rafting through mild adventures on a large creek or a small river, drifting through fields, (often with over hanging trees and vines bearing berries), perhaps with beehives just beyond reach, sharp rocks on the left, and pine trees everywhere on the banks. Solitude and confidence. Sycamore is that, and that's me when I wear it.

Next to Antaeus, this is the greatest Chanel scent. Brilliance, really.

Jason S.
(Ohio)

TillyWave
TillyWave

If you don't love vetiver, you will not enjoy Sycomore. This is one of the best vetiver fragrances out there, it easily stands with Guerlain's Vetiver, although the two compositions are highlighted with different notes.

This scent will change depending on the weather, humidity, etc. On the top there stands a wonderful smoky note, sometimes more campfireish, sometimes more resembling the coals left over, and sometimes downright smelling like something curling out of a Nat Sherman cigarette. The smoke does fade out, though, as it is only a top note.

The rest of the scent is a mixture of sweet, earthy vetiver with occasional swirls of sandalwood. Were they able to put Mysore sandalwood in here? Have they fouund a substitute? Because the sandalwood is of the creamy, sweeet sort, not a dry woody sort. Beautiful.

Lasting power is very good, sillage is minimal but you yourself will be able to smell it all day long.

Another simple but stunning fragrance in the Les Exclusives line. I love this, and if you like these types of notes and are not afraid of things that are not out and out 'feminine' then Sycomore is definetely worth your time.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

I'm absolutely mesmerized by this masterpiece. A warm, sensual, graceful yet confident scent that exudes quality and class. Do yourself a favor and try Sycomore, or else be doomed to a world of mediocre scented fragrances.

Christy2198
Christy2198

I would love to purchace this fragrance, however I am unsure if I could pull such a unique sent. I dont think I ever have an event to wear such a special occasion sent.

Bab
Bab

Vetiver! It's all about the woods. Warm, burning woods and incense smoke. If you love strong vetiver, you'll crown this the Queen or King of the vetiver perfumes along with Laliques, Encre Noir.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

Sycomore is all juicy dark greens and lush woods, like walking through a deep dense forest after a storm. I'm delighted to finally sniff a blend where vetiver is front and center, and not just an afterthought. In Sycomore it is lush and wet, like biting into a bitter under ripe fruit. To my nose it's a bit citrusy also, like the calamansi juice I've loved since childhood but minus all the sugar typically thrown into it. As I normally can't smell citrus on my skin as the notes turn to ash on my skin, I'm delighted. The sandalwood and tobacco prop up and support the vetiver, and overall I'm reminded of hot summer evenings in Florida chatting around my aunt's wood table as her numerous lime and lemon trees sway in the humid breeze.

I may buy a bottle of Sycomore one day, should I run out of my decant. I think I've already established in my reviews I like a masculine slant to my scents, and Sycomore is no exception--no florals whatsoever here. This is what I wanted No.19 to be, but 19's sharpness pushed me away. I'll be using this when I take on the boardroom.

bonovox
bonovox

Since my wonderful friends here on this website have made great suggestions I really enjoy the combination of vetiver, spices, and tobacco in this fragrance that truly make it unisex but by no means feminine. I think that's in comparison to my other new favorite "Encre Noir" as far as mysterious, magical vetiver's Sycomore will get more playtime in my rotation due to its versatility, whereas I will save "Encre Noir" for those special evenings. Pricewise, this is going to cost you a little bit more but it is so much worth it because it can be worn in a variety of ways. Casually, formally, daytime, nighttime... plus it's something that's very unique that you won't smell on other people as much. Perfect balance of notes all the way through with just the right amount of sillage and longevity.
Age-appropriate -- 30+

Cylob

@Papi. Perhaps Chanel copied herself? The original Sycomore was created in 1930.
Lalique and the new Sycomore are very much alike though. I prefer the fresh start and the progression towards smokey woods and vertiver of Sycomore, but to each their own.

Grottola

Sycomore used to be one of my top favorite fragrances until I discovered Terre d'Hermes and Encre Noire.

Don't get me wrong, Sycomore is a high quality fragrance, no doubt. Jacques Polge and Christopher Sheldrake were able to utilize the smoky-organic qualities of vetiver without pumping a ton of Iso E Super into the composition, and it comes out smelling great. That being said, I feel there's something missing from Sycomore. It feels flat and "empty", sort of. There's also a bit too much pepper for my liking, and I can't help thinking of steak (I have the same problem with a lot of dry pepper-infused masculines that have been released recently). Terre d'Hermes has a citrus/Iso E Super combo that makes it irresistable, and Encre Noire has a dark mystique that I love. Sycomore is good, but it's lacking. Nevertheless, still try it if you can. It's good stuff.

Sycomore is pretty masculine, if you ask me. There's not one floral or sweet note I can smell in it.

zepyhp
zepyhp

Very bold yet an elegant fragrance at the same time. Somehow this fragrance is refreshing enough to wear in the humid summer time and warm enough to wear in the winter time. How did Polge and Sheldrake do it??? Well how ever they did it, they did it. It's a fantastic vetiver fragrance, by far the best vetiver i have tried. Its smokey, earthy, woody, yet light with a tart berry essence to it. Elegant, classy, sophisticated, bold and beautiful. Magnicifient on a woman and sophistication on a man.

Lady Love
Lady Love

The inicial notes are strong, dark and smokey. For some reason Sycomore reminds me a little of Tea for two, both are very complex and spicy, but Sycomore is all about earthy and vetiver notes, and dries down to a soft, sweet fragrance.

I'm really impressed, I think Sycomore and Coromandel smell extremely unisex (more manly than womanly). They're definitely not easy to wear, but both are very interesting fragrances.

I won't spend many words on Sycomore as it deserves at least a try. This is an absolute masterpiece, one of a kind type of stuff and should be a mandatory purchase for any true fragrance lover. An outstanding and superbly crafted, smoky yet fresh vetiver centered composition enriched by hints of incense and a considerable dose of sandalwood. The usual aldehydes/iris roots "signature" bu Chanel is there but works subtly to provide the right amount of sophistication. Dry yet plush, immensely satisfying. Together with Vetiver Exctraordinaire and Route Du Vetiver possibly one of the best around. Absolutely intoxicating and addicting, don't look any further.

Cylob

Starts with a walk through grassy fields. Then you move into a fresh spring forest. The forest shifts through the seasons while you walk and you end up in early autumn with the sun peaking through the leaves. Stunning!

Deep, warm, yet fresh. I'm amazed again by Les Exlusifs.
Sycomore seems to get stronger hours later after a fresh opening. Really love how this, just like the other Chanels, keeps shifting layer after layer.

Hooked already from just the test spray I got from the boutique today. I really have to resist to run back to the boutique and buy (yet another) 200ml bottle.

We'll see how long I can resist buying it, but will review it again when I buy it...

Edit: well one week later I got me a bottle! And what a great and original fragrance this is. Really one of a kind.

For the males out there: this blends so nicely with my Egoiste after shave balm! A perfect combo. (Or ladies get your hubby to wear Egoiste while you wear Sycomore and you'll make the perfect set :)

Suitable for all seasons (yes: summer too!) and for both sexes...

Sarahbelle
Sarahbelle

Described as a "woody/floral/musk", i get the "woody" the musk eventually shows itself in the drydown, but floral notes elude me completely.
Please don't misconstrue that I am complaining -- I liked this fragrance from first sniff --- and then: it really grew on me.

Oh, my. This is quite lovely, in a rather unconventional, not-quite-ladylike way.

Initially, I thought, "oh, smells like Anat Fritz." (ceder) Then I thought, "now it smells like Feminite du Bois" (more ceder) Eventually, it reminded me of Chanel's Bois des Isles (generalized woodiness), but less sweet, more genteel.

I agree with other reviewers, that it seems more unisex than feminine. In fact, it is so complex, that I intend to experiment with layering it over body creams and oils that are distinctly floral or musky, or . . .

I kept sniffing my wrist, and, when no one [I hope!] was looking, my chest. It really, really grew on me.
Now that Chanel is beginning to offer Les Exclusifs in a 2.5 oz bottle, I shall probably purchase this.

JustinV

Creamy-like scent 10%,
Tobacco-smokey like scent 10%
Sweet like scent (a little touch of flower) 5%

All the way, 24 hours.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful scent.

Creed, and other niche fragrance like Bond No. 9 or Amourage, you have a contestant.

Is this for women? I don't know, but for sure, I LOVE IT ON ME.

The first spray on my skin, I get nothing, quite disappointing, but after like 5 minutes, the scent pops up.

And it stays like this forever!!!!

For work? YES
For dates? YES
For casual meet-ups? YES

To bad, this scent is so classy, that it cannot be in the clubs. No freaking way.

I won't use this now, I am for sure to young for this. Maybe when I hit 29 onwards, I will buy this. It's kind of, 'powerful' scent.

I can see a manager, or some big shot for a corporate figure pulling this off.

Ladies think this is a weird scent, to grassy to them. Most of the guys say 'dam its so good, that when I am smoking, this one cuts my smoke for sure'.

And yes it did.

OMG, omg, omg, omg.

Awesome longevity as I mentioned.

100% attention grabber.

The country I am in has no 4 seasons, so it is either hot or cold weather. This works very well on both.

My rating (base on 5 stars)

Scent: 5 (Vetiver has never smelled so good).

Sillage: 5 (OMG).

Time length: 5 (24 hours, shit).

Occasion: 4 (all rounder jack of trades, but not for clubs).

Overall base on mathematics: 4.75/5

Throw away your all your vetiver stuff. This is a winner

I maybe should try on Vetiver by Christian Dior =p

Catharine
Catharine

I am crazy nuts in love with this fragrance. It's smoky, just sweet enough, elegant, and perfect for daytime. I don't sense cigarettes but rather burned wood, which I do adore as it makes me think of autumn walks and fireplace smoke. But it isn't all smoke; the violet sweetens things up very nicely. I don't often turn to girly or perfumey scents during the day, so this is a big favorite. Sycomore makes me feel confident and beautiful.

kylexora
kylexora

Clean, watery and warm smell. Remind me of Bvlgari BLV II eau de parfum. Very similar, hate to say I hate 'em both. But great for men, I think.

AJ73
AJ73

I bougth a bottle when it first came out in 2008 because the combination of tobacco and vetiver appealed to me. I worn it a couple of times and think it's an amazing perfume though too feminine. And I'm a man.. Good thing about "Les Exclusifs" is that they are exculsive. I sold my used bottle within a day for a good price on internet to a very enthusiastic lady. There you go, true art never loses it's value.

I absolutely adore rich, woodsy, smokey scents, especially those with tobacco as its most dominant note. Chanel's Sycomore fits this description, however in my opinion, this fragrance is far more masculine than feminine. I'm usually accustomed to gender-bending scents and I often wear fragrances marketed towards men, however Sycomore is far too masculine for me to even touch and the funny thing is, Sycomore is a female fragrance.

Despite the initial surprise, Sycomore is rather enticing. The fragrance opens quite strong, with the vetiver and tobacco notes making a rather loud entrance. Once settled on the skin, the sandalwood and cypress blends in with the tobacco and vetiver creating an interesting dryness.

Every time I brought my wrist to my nose I detected a powdery woods note, rather like the scent of fresh saw-dust. I was very relieved to see aldehydes as a listed note here, which proved that I had not been misled into making up ingredients.

Smokey, and in some ways, bitter, Sycomore reminds me of a recently burnt Australian bushland after a rainstorm. It is the scent of a scorching hot Summer, however I can't say that I'd wear this anytime other than Winter.

There are many words to describe Sycomore; dry, smokey, salty, earthy, masculine, nutty, dark, classy and balanced are only just the beginning. On each individual, Sycomore seems to differ. On a man, I'm certain that this fragrance would shine. I'll just put it out there that Chanel's Sycomore is and should be unisex.

An excellent light summer wood. I pretty much get smoky wood the whole time with very little change. Perhaps a tobacco note creeps in at the end, but overall, it's just a light, fresh smoky wood on my skin. Very nice.

Chanel SYCOMORE is a very unique perfume, with a dominant tobacco note which combines with the other elements of the composition in the opening to produce what is to my nose very similar to the smell of a campfire burnt out. It's not the smell of fire, nor of smokiness exactly, but more the scent of cold embers the morning after a big campfire in the mountains. This same smell tends to infect the clothing of all those who sat around the campfire roasting marshmallows, singing, and laughing. Basically, a flood of memories from girl scout camp has been elicited by the opening of SYCOMORE, believe it or not!

I am not and have never been a smoker, but this combination of earthy tobacco, vetiver and what seems to my nose to be leather is very appealing. SYCOMORE becomes even nicer in the drydown, when the dark heavy campfire aura evolves into a smooth, barely floral, powdery dry wood layer.

Through its entire development, this seems a unisex fragrance to me. Nothing in my collection comes close to SYCOMORE, and I find it FB-worthy, so am adding it to my wish list!

njdeb
njdeb

This is pure vetiver – dry, like burning wood. This smells of aromatic smoke and earth. No sweetness at all to my nose, which is exactly as it should be. Use only a bit as this is very strong. I actually like to use just a drop of this under a scent I find too sweet or fruity to add depth.

memechose
memechose

this is THE BEST VETIVER FRAGRANCE I ha=have ever worn... it has a nutty quality that lasts and lasts. if you can wear sweet and fruity florals, or fruity chypres you will want to own this

Kterhark
Kterhark

In 1920 US women gained the right to vote but not the right to smoke in public. The cigarette companies (obviously) had a problem with this, so they hired Edward Bernays (founder of Public Relations) to come up with a solution. Bernays created the 'Torches of Freedom' campaign, where women who wanted to stress their equality with men showed it by smoking in public. The French fashion houses saw where this was going and quickly jumped on the bandwagon, one result being Sycomore. My only comment is that US sentiment towards smoking has changed, and thus, a tobacco heavy perfume such as this in no longer in syle.

Malegria
Malegria

Cold, reserved, sophisticated. There is a lot`s of tobacco going on, mildewish patchouli...I don`t feel vetiver as strong, but something shows up that reminds me of a bitter lemon peel.

Also something unexpected showed up - through the entire top-heart-base notes - a pure smell of cigarettes with pot!That definitely gave Sycomore an unexpected twist!

ferrari
ferrari

Something completely unknown and unheard in perfume. Maybe this is the tobacco ring. Poignant, intense green bitter, some sour.
After can feel very light violet, but they are pressed with a crushed green leaves .
I woul'd say it more for men than women. It is cold and bitter, stringent. A bit soapy, I don't like soapy scent

And recalled melissa essential oils.

fragrancefiend
fragrancefiend

This is my favorite scent now. I tested it during a fragrance festival and it reminded me of a childhood friends house. Both parents smoked but the house was meticulously clean. Still, an unexpectly pleasant tobacco, wood burning smell was always detectable. This fragrance starts out all smoke and burning wood and then dries down to the best soft vetiver ever. Before I tried this, I had never smelled anything like it. Since then, I have sought out other vetiver based fragrances and the only one that has come close is Lez Nez Turtle Vetiver (but only after the initial swamp smell fades). Love Sycomore!

Carla
Carla

The vitality of vetiver is very distinct in Chanel's re-release of Sycomore. This his or her fragrance
has many facets for both to discover. I find it to be powerful yet soft, masculine yet feminine. The presence of vetiver is extremely noticeable with it's creme de la creme spirit evocative of the outdoors. The violet is trifle, yet there is a glimpse of a flower. The pseudo-metal essence of the aldehyde, indicative of the Chanel signature, is obvious. The dry down with the smokiness of tobacco laced with sandalwood and balsam create the woodsy incense aroma that make you want to scream I am woman hear me roar! If you like to take risks and have a passion for vetiver then this one this has your name on it.
It is pricey but then timeless scents usually are. I think it is definitely worth the investment for you or your guy. It's a Chanel experience for the 21st century, so have at it!

jsnat1227

I purchased this from BG the day after it was launched. Though it's listed here as a feminine scent, In fact it's a masculine and extremely upscale. Clearly it's designed as an evening, special occasion fragrance.

The opening accords are sharp and eye-catching. The second-wear (dry-down), can be 'musty.' Overall, Sycamore is an excellent scent, and by 'excellent', I mean, not created quickly for Chanel's Eclusive line, such as Eau De Cologne.