Designers » C » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Pour Monsieur Chanel for men
dislike

I have it: 485 I had it: 187 I want it: 453 My signature: 21

Pour Monsieur Chanel for men Pictures Pour Monsieur Chanel for men Pictures

Pour Monsieur is an eternal classic. This perfume has an 'intelligent' composition created by Henri Robert, which opens gradually for a whole day, and leads a long and beautiful play on skin. Very refined fragrance, for an elegant and intelligent man. There is a citrus freshness in the top notes, with aromatic and citrusy touch of verbena: lemon, verbena, neroli and orange. The spicy heart presents fresh and sharp, but, thin mix of cardamom, coriander, basil and ginger. The oak moss and cedar create a sharp ending. The perfume is designed in 1955.

Sicilian Peony Lemon Verbena Neroli Petitgrain Lemon

Coriander Ginger Basil Cardamom

Oakmoss Vetiver Cedar

New York
Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria

Pour Monsieur Fragrance Reviews

loischanricky
loischanricky

This is the first time I encounter a perfume that does "CHANGE" when time goes by.

So, here comes the story...

Couple of weeks ago I ran into Chanel Pour Monsieur in a department store. I loved the smell instantly, when lemon verbena and some soft limes came into my face directly.
Few hours later I smelled cardamom and ginger, and a very specific scent that I catch in Capucci pour homme, too.

At that time I thought, "oh, so Chanel Pour Monsieur is a masculine chypre, just like Luca Turin said in his book", and I totally agree with this evaluation, putting this perfume under the category of masculine chypre.

But for a very weird idiosyncrasy, I only collect "miniature perfumes" (of course there are exceptions). Anyway, I managed to buy a miniature of Chanel Pour Monsieur from a perfume lover I know from the internet.

This miniature I bought was perhaps made before 2009, though no clear data can be found, but since that perfume lover bought two miniatures in 2009, and sold one bottle to me 2 weeks ago, then I'm sure it was made before the year of 2009.

But this miniature smells VERY DIFFERENT from what I experienced in the department store!
Yes, some notes are still there, but they turn into something else.
The lemon verbena is hardly there, while lemon, Sicilian peony and petitgrain are so strong that I think I've smelled two totally different perfumes. (If I must describe the changing, I would say it gets deeper and much mature, if the scent I experienced in the department store is for spring/summer, then the scent from the miniature I bought should be wore during fall/winter)
In the middle notes what I get most clearly are basil, coriander and cardamom, and that chypre and powdery scent I used to smelled in Capucci pour homme is gone, too.
(This time what I get from the base is a scent that's close to aromatic woody, with some leather notes lingering in the background, which I know is very strange because there's no such thing as leather note in this perfume)

In this case, I will not put Chanel Pour Monsieur under the category of Masculine Chypre, but maybe masculine aromatic.

I'm sure the perfume was in good condition,and still smells GREAT, but just DIFFERENT.
So, all I can say is that, some perfumes will CHANGE when time goes by, which is an interesting situation.

Greetings fellow fragranticans.

I have something very special to offer those who love Chanel Pour Monsieur.

I have a 'coffret' that I'm going to sell which includes a vintage eau de cologne and after shave (I'm guessing 100ml each as it's not marked) and separately (and boxed) an eau de cologne and a very RARE pre-shave lotion - all from the 1960s/70s and factory sealed bar one of the eaux de colognes, which I prised open to see what it smells like - and it smells great!

All have been correctly stored in a cool dark cupboard.

I can only send within the UK because of postage restrictions - do private message me if you are interested.

Have_some_scents
Have_some_scents

Smells very much like vintage Monsieur de Givenchy.

farang
farang

The best masculine chypre, full stop. I have tried hundreds of fragrances and many chypres, but PM is still the best. It starts with a lemony note, developing into a full chypre with an animalic tinge and dry down to a no-sweet vanilla. A little bit powdery, but not much.

You feel like you are wearing a piece of art. And art it is - created in 1955. It is high-class, high-qualty, long-lasting and with good projection. I don't see any 'old man scent' here.

I think it works wonderfully in hot climates, and in rain. I don't know about winter since there is no cold season where I live.

cucuboth
cucuboth

Pour Monsieur by Chanel was the very first bottle of cologne I bought, back in 2002. 14 years later and I still have it, and still wear it occasionally. If anything, over the years, the lemon has become more pronounced. Maybe some colognes age, and grow better over time, like wine. For mind, Pour Monsieur is a pleasant, in-offensive spring/summer classic. To be honest, you're not going to stand out wearing it, but neither will you repel anyone. It still holds it's own in anyone's collection.

My only regret is that the shop assistant persuaded me to purchase the metallic 'travel bottle' instead of the regular glass one. Oh well, live and learn.

soudenEast
soudenEast

Pour Monsieur is de facto Mitsouko for men, as far as I'm concerned. This fragrance unmistakably resembles to Guerlain Mitsouko (I have a Eau de cologne version). Or you could say this is a summer version of Mitsouko if there were such a thing. Monsieur is a little more citrusy while Mitsouko smells a little more floral and less citrusy. I am talking about a vintage version of Pour Monsieur with a lot of Oakmoss and vetiver. I like them both. Very classic and very classy and very special.

Sussudio
Sussudio

This is an amazing fresh fragrance with a very classic feel to it yet it never feels outdated or grandpa-mode. To make it work you need to embrace some ground rules however.

1 - wear it with dignity
2 - wear custom fit and stylish clothes
3 - be the gentle yet firm gentleman that matches the scent
4 - go for a close shave and have groomed hair

The fragrance itself opens with a very strong blast of citrus but quickly evolves into a less aggressive citrus based scent that just oozes a sophisticated masculine elegance. Right below the citrus there is a certain creaminess/freshness that is hard to describe but it basically makes sure you feel 'clean and elegant' for the rest of the duration.

Performance is on par and based on the amount of sprays you can easily project this within the room without offending people. On my skin it lasts between 6 to 8 hours and one of the advantages is that physical exercise/sweating generate an additional burst of freshness again, almost making it nice to have heated body temperature.

Chanel must be one of my favorite brands when it comes down to citruses. They always deliver and do it without being tacky or too synthetic.

Final note : I can see why people recommend this to men over 40. However, I'm 32 and easily get away with it - in the end it depends on your style and attitude.

pdschrader

PS - I've found that putting an unscented after shave balm or lotion on before spraying with Chanel PM results in the scent lasting hours longer while still remaining close to the skin.

pdschrader

I would be tempted to call Chanel Pour Monsieur my favorite if it didn't disappear so quickly on my skin. But there is one place where it is my favorite; when I am going to a crowded venue. Projection on me is quickly lost, but a hint of this masterpiece does remain, especially in one's beard. Those who want to give you a hug will find it there, without the person in the theater seat beside you being annoyed that he or she is stuck for a couple hours next to "perfume guy."

Casavulva
Casavulva

Old-fashioned citrus classic.

I have really tried to like PM for a number of years, but still fail miserably.

No doubt interesting for historical reasons, and there are those who claim PM is among the 10 best masculines of all time AND among the best citrus scents of all time (Turin again).

But for me it doesn't work. I find the citrus to be crispy, but "old" in a weird way, and the rest of the perfume to be dissonant, somewhat powdery ("old" again) and out of focus, with a strange sour-bitter midphase that should not be there at all according to ingredients. Oakmoss is missing, or is possibly just reformulated into unrecognition.

Low longevity also.

Still interesting though, but for the wrong reasons.

5/10 (Sorry PM-fans!)

violinist1
violinist1

I just love it. I don't even know what to say. The citrus opening got me at first sniff and since that moment I keep smelling this fragrance again and again and I love it, I wear it all the time, each time I detect something new about it. Nobody hasn't mentioned that there is quite some cardamom to smell (wich I love), am I the only one who smells it?

Anyway, a masterpiece. But I just keep reading the reviews which are like "That's not for under 30! For old men! Not for boys!". And I am getting slightly frustrated since I am 16 and this is my signature fragrance. I just love its smell, I like it for my signature because you always know it's there but it's really not offensive in any way. It acts well with my skin and body odour so I think that is the smell that I want to be remembered with. I admit, it's not for everyone. And I do feel slightli underdressed if I go really casual and I wear it, but I still don't find it that much of a problem to stop me from having it for my signature.

So to anyone out there who likes it and wonders, is it too mature for him, no worries. If you want to I am sure you can pull it off and be a quietly secure gentleman, not macho in any way, allways reliable and on time. This fragrance calms and helps become a better man, as someone already said here if I remember right.

Guapo
Guapo

A gentleman's fragance.

Citrus2014
Citrus2014

Henri Robert, another sorcerer perfumer of Chanel, seems to have reached where both feminine and masculine superlative perfume: Chanel no. 19 and this masterpiece. His success is the more impressive as it's two fresh fragrances range.
This is epitome of european sofistication! I am a lover of sophisticated citrus scents and I can say that Pour Monsieur is the best of all.
Great for office too.

Sillage 10/10
Repurchase: Yes

Cheadle
Cheadle

I read these reviews with great care, saw it while waiting to depart Seychelles Airport a few years ago, passed it up and bought Anteaus instead (loved it)

Finally a month ago I manned up and bought it and......

It is good, better than good in fact but I was initially alarmed because I had used YSL Pour homme and YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration. At first they smell the same, identical openings all three of them.

Chanel's Pour Homme is deeper however, you can tell despite it hugging your skin most of the time. Its silence cannot be taken for weakness because the gentleman wearing this cologne projects calm and assurance.

There is no place here for anyone looking for a howler. You wear this cologne because you are already confident and gently does it!!

popescuionut100
popescuionut100

I was so curious about this one since i'm a big fan of Chanel man fragrances so i tested it recently.
The one smells old to me,a well groomed old man,smells expensive,i can see the quality but dated and old.And no,i'm not a teenager,i'm 32!
I imagine a 55-60 y o man,sitting in his wooden walls library,on a sofa,drinking a glass of cognac while reading a book and wearing Pour Monsieur!
Not for me though or,at least,not yet!

duzmantic
duzmantic

I think they should come up with Platinum Pour Monsieur. The opening is fantastic (lemons) but fades away quickly, of which i enjoy the most and the dry down is dated IMO. Platinum Pour Monsieur could be Chanel's answer to Dior's Homme Cologne and Homme Sport.

Monsieur Aramis
Monsieur Aramis

91P (from 100) - peach chypre - I am sometimes feedbacked for preferring "oldfashioned" scents. Cannot be as really good fragrances never get "oldfashioned" good perfums. One "old-fashioned" I do not love too much is THE classic fragrance for men: Pour Monsieur. Looking at its position in the Chanel men's range, many will agree that Pour Monsieur does not reach the outstanding profile of Antaeus or Sycomore. It is a silent fragrance. The citrus-peach head is fine for any season, what I dislike is the heart and the drydown which recalls me worn clothes. There is a something like "dirty chypre". Though appreciating that Pour Monsieur has an excellent structure which not reached by most of modern fragrances, I prefer other citrus or chypre. Pour Monsieur is elegant, noble, but not a top scorer.

Vortex1
Vortex1

I am lazy when it comes to doing reviews.

This bottle of PM that I just sprayed after a shower compelled me to write a few words .

I have 250 plus yet I've been searching for that summer citrus.

This fragrance : beautiful opening , classy classy neroli citrus , bright but not in your face . Picks you up almost like an antidote. Yet this cannot be classed sporty and I felt under dressed in my shorts but I'm loving this so much right now , I will make it work.

This is a special juice . There are some great ones out there but I feel once you spray this Dior home sport , Hermes Orange d Concentree, even Allure home sport cologne which I'm fond of seem less refined .

Timeless, comforting sheer refinement in a very understated bottle .

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

Pour Monsieur from Chanel is a real sweet/floral warm vib of a fragrance. The notes I pick up is emon, neroli, lemon with barely a hint of orange coming throught creating a real aromatic scent. Other fragrance's using almost the same notes don't even come close to Chanel's timeless care creating real attractive fragrance for everyone to enjoy!!!!
This juice starts off with a pronounced citrus/herbal notes..after a half-hour or so you get this PHENOMENON aroma very unisex scent with absolutely desirable powdery smell :))))
Longevity and Silage are both very good lasting well past 6hrs as summer fragrance.
Overall opinion,
What can I say...there are so many adjectives which describe this fragrance. FRESH, PHENOMENAL, GEM, and finally LUXURIOUS....this list could go on and it would be endless.
Rating this fragrance is definitely worthy 9./10....★★★★★

Henriette
Henriette

I am a woman.
I am not fond of male scents.
I my very humble opinion on this Earth there are only very few Perfect Scents that defy time, fashion, moods, external mass market conditioning.
Among these Perfect Monuments I do count
Chanel Pour Monsieur.
Period.

KJS88
KJS88

First, I'd like to start the way Pour Monsieur starts: discussing the aromatic-lemony headnote by which this fragrance is, in my honest opinion, incorrectly defined. To begin with, I've never thought of the lemon in this is as being real, juicy, in one's face, or photorealistic; if you want that, or if you want to smell a fragrance that can be properly defined that way, check out Balmain's Monsieur. Which, even though it has none of the mossy, ambery, chypre warmth it used to, is still a glorious and handsome lemon cologne if ever there was one.

And speaking of mossy, ambery, chypre warmth...now we're speaking of that special mettle Chanel Pour Monsieur is made of.

I always interpreted CPM's opening as being more of a lemon-petitgrain-neroli-germanium-lavender blend than pure lemon itself; and while it is lemony in that sense, its hardly what I'd call either fresh and juicy. Instead it is dry and mossy, and quite timeless. The warm, amber-moss base suffuses those top notes with richness and, as MonsieurK says, a sense of having a "matte" finish. In turn, the top, fleeting as it seems, never quite disappears, and keeps the base from falling into early 20th Century feminine chypre territory, pulling the whole composition together with exquisite execution.

Having been gifted a sealed, unopened, and apparently unevaporated splash bottle circa late-80s, stored in a cool, dry double brick home for the last 25 years, I can vouch for this having been once a much richer, longer lasting formula.

I've sprayed the modern version on my left wrist, back of my hand, and down my inner forearm; I decanted some of the older version into a spray bottle and repeated the process on the right.

Sniffing it as it has developed over the last hour, the older formula is still going strong, whereas the latest is churning out a low hum and gentle, skin-warmed wafts.

I must say actually that I prefer the smell of the modern formula; there seems to be more orris, and its far dry-down reminds me of Coty's original Chypre. The older of the two is somewhat richer, more intense, but also more screechy, and clove-y.

My only true complaint with the modern version is its minimal sillage and longevity after the headnotes dissipate.

Otherwise, it is an essay in sobre, refined, masculine elegance and temperance. Beautiful.

MonsieurK
MonsieurK

What I love about Pour Monsieur is the superb quality of the blend. Yes it's fresh and clean and 'citrussy' - nice, but which alone does not excite me a great deal.

What lifts it above others in this vein is that the spicy heart is very present, as if in different concentrations throughout the wear - adding texture and body to the scent, and keeping the citrus from being too bright or screechy.

This smoothness adds such a 'deep' allure. The brightness is tempered by the spices, which are on the right side of medium and the woods aren't greedy for the spotlight - in fact nothing really is.

If you imagine something like Eau Sauvage or Armani Eau Pour Homme to have a 'glossy' citrus polish to it, Pour Monsieur has an opposite 'matte' feel to it.

Because of this, Pour Monsieur is automatically saved from being classed as a purely 'warm' weather scent that is 'light, lemony and airy'. It becomes always appropriate, and never out of place; and the equal measures of density and lightness make it always elegant, all the time.

Many scents in the style of Pour Monsieur feel to me thin, or too dry, or too bright, or one dimensional and predictable or all the above.

Pour Monsieur seems to be always living, breathing, texturing your skin; changing and evolving and never feeling abrasive. On top of that, just when I think it hasn't lasted as long as I'd like, it speaks gently to remind me it's still there.

Pour Monsieur is one of those fragrances that makes me a believer in the concept of timelessness.

dubairob
dubairob

The Emperor’s New Scent: A Fairy Tale of Reformulation

“Once upon a time there lived an emperor whose love of exquisite and refined fragrances was known far and wide. Throughout his lands the gorgeous and rare ingredients of his fragrances and their properties were discussed at length by his loyal subjects. In the emperor’s lifetime a veritable cult of appreciation had built up around the near mythic status conferred upon his fragrances by the royal fragrance-watchers of his court.
“One day the court of the emperor received a visit from a travelling perfumer who claimed that he carried in his stock of fragrances the most elegant, most refined and most gentlemanly fragrance known to man. Astonishing the courtiers who met his claims, he professed that if only he had access to the emperor he would so please his rarefied and subtle taste that his famed search for the single greatest fragrance would end on the spot.
“When the courtiers passed on the claims of the travelling perfumer to the king, he had just gone through a series of untested – and disappointing - purchases of fragrances of far off lands, delivered to his court yet spurned with immediate distaste . In short, he was even more ripe than usual for finishing his passion for fragrance with a single all-encompassing gentlemanly fragrance. ‘If only…’, his weary heart whispered.
“’Send him in’, said the emperor, ‘Let us hear what this travelling perfumer has to sell which promises so much’. And so into the court the wizened old traveler came, carrying his wares in bottles, tubes and vials.
“’So I hear, old man, you have a fragrance for me that will finish my searches of the wide world over, that will create for me an unmistakable aura of elegance and refinement. In short, a fragrance to end all fragrances.’
“’You are right, my royal sir, I have for you a fragrance which promises this and more, which can sweeten the labours of court and love, which can bring your troubled search for fragrance heaven to an end in its simple yet eternal construction.
“The emperor was intrigued with this and even more so when he saw the strange emblem of the overlapping double ‘C’s on the bottle which the old man had proceeded to take out…..
“Reaching across to the emperor, with his permission he sprayed the generous volume that came from this bottle with ease. The emperor raised his newly perfumed wrist to his nose and inhaled this great fragrance of promise.....
“Lemon. Lemon verbena. Peony. More lemon……these words of recognition went through the mind of the emperor. He took another sniff and thought some more. Oakmoss and vetiver. There is something to this fragrance, he thought. It holds promise.
“Then, as quickly as the fragrance emitted its delicate and beautiful array of notes, they seemed to literally disappear off his wrist. Indeed he could not be sure whether the scent he smelled was in fact the lemon-scented talc from his bathing earlier in the morning…..
“’Is this some sort of trick?’, asked the emperor in disbelief. ‘What means have you to create such a wonderful scent and have it gone in the blink of an eye?’. The emperor was clearly distressed.
“Ah, my emperor, this fragrance – Chanel Pour Monsieur – is so delicate and subtle is its projection and sillage it is almost imperceptible but to the most astute and educated appreciators of fragrance. Indeed, the great Maestro Luca of Turin says that this fragrance should by all rights be sitting under a triple-glass bell jar next to the meter and kilogram at the Pavillon de Breteuil as the reference masculine fragrance of all time. It is truly the greatest of gentlemanly fragrances…..’
“Now the emperor who was well versed in the writings of the great fragranticians, and was indeed easily reminded of the five-star appreciation of the great Maestro Luca, began to turn this over in his mind. Yes, he thought, there really is something to this. Added to this the great acclaim of this Pour Monsieur as a superior gentlemanly fragrance and the emperor gave the nod to his court financier to bring forward the royal cash-chest. (Truth be told, for reasons that we will not go into here, the emperor was particularly susceptible to notions about the ‘gentlemanly’ nature of any fragrance.)….And so the emperor paid handsomely to the traveling perfumer, who proceeded to leave the court with a spring in his step and a wry smile on his lips……
“The very next day the emperor had a royal parade planned with a tour through his great city. That day he sprayed his neck, chest, arms and clothes with a liberal amount of the great Chanel Pour Monsieur. As he passed through the crowds in the royal carriage he could not see the honest and courageous young boy step forward from the masses and announce for all to hear the most devastating and succinct critique the emperor could ever hear…..
“’ Look everyone’, said the boy, “Our great emperor is wearing no fragrance”…..
And they all proceeded to turn and look at each other in recognition. For in truth the emperor was indeed no longer really wearing any fragrance."

Footnote to a Fairy Tale:
The above is my allegorical review of Chanel Pour Monsieur. Though I enjoy the opening minutes of this fragrance, in all honesty it lasts so short a time that I would strongly suggest anybody potentially interested in this to try it out at least once before purchasing. That once may well be enough to persuade how weak this fragrance is in its current – and most available - formulation.
I will continue to wear Chanel Pour Monsieur. Indeed, I may well go from carrying the atomizer that is necessary if you want to wear it for the day, and just simply carry the bottle with me instead. Yes, it's that weak.
Suffice to say, never have I gone through a fragrance so quickly. Unfortunately, for the wrong reason….

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

I reviewed this perfume earlier... But somewhat I can't find it anymore! I guess Fragranticans found it too negative (it was negative but not too negative) and removed it.

Anyway... I'm glad they removed it!

I decided giving this perfume another chance because I was doubting that what I sampled back then was a bad or old bottle. It lasted for only half an hour with only a blast of citruss in the beginning and then nothing!!

Here's my true review for this perfume:

First, let me set one thing straight... It lasts and lasts and lasts... Nearly 10 to 12 hours... WOW!
Second, this scent is a slow morpher... Really slow... It starts out with a blast of lemon... The scent of lemon is so real it feels like squeezing a lemon on your face... Over the course of the day, whenever you smell it, you discover a new layer: Cardamom comes in first spicing the composition becoming spicier and spicier while remaining fresh. The oakmoss come in late on the drydown but once it appears it will be the most detectable note with some lemon and vetyver playing in the background.

Pour monsieur is truely a very good refreshing summer perfume that lasts a long time and projects nicely. To me it's not offensive like the other fragrances of it's time but it's nevertheless the easiest one to wear and enjoy! But that doesn't give it the title of "Masterpiece"!

class
class

Since peony is one of the ingredients, I thought that this might be a unique scent, but instead I was left disappointed with very loud lemons, like a child's lemon lolly pop. This one is not for me.

headofstate
headofstate

Incredibly fresh, timeless classic that has the right balance of aromatic citrus, warming spice and rootsy, herbal petitgrain and vetiver that offers the wearer a subtle classiness and a bit of mystery as this fragrance always seems to offer something new depending on the time of year it's worn. The lemon verbena is beautifully blended with the organic lemon and high-pitched peony, bringing out a heavenly fresh quality on top that embodies an earlier time when the citrus/floral aftershave splash was still the essence of men's fragrance. The dry-down of oakmoss, vetiver and cedar embraces the heart of spices and just a hint of floral from the top; making for a very enjoyable wear. Longevity is fairly reliable and consistently above 6 hours with sillage rather moderately subtle. The word classic is over-used but for Chanel Monsieur it is one of the few that truly lives up to the billing.

williamvargas
williamvargas

this is one of those fragrances which was one of my first chanel purchases for myself. I bought a splash bottle of this I want to say a 2 oz splash, it was a little more expensive to me from what I was used to buying. I absolutely loved this fragrance when I was first introduced to it, I have tested the concentree and that is a very nice scent, but I have to say I prefer the original pour monsieur. it has a crisp citrus at first but there is a softness and such beautiful floral notes. the dry down of this fragrance is gorgeous. so appealing to me. maybe a sophistication to this scent that I had not known in fragrances I have worn before this. this was different.
I felt that I was evolving as a person and maturing, it made me feel more refined and educated, guess that would be the way to put it. this is considered among my favorites to wear, I will look to try and obtain more of this again. not a knock on the concentree version at all, I like that one. I look at that as a completely different fragrance. I prefer this blend of notes ,the dry down and the aroma that comes off a man wearing this is inviting and pure class in my opinion. I am now in my fifties . I first purchased the scent in the mid 80's. sometimes you come back around and discover that I was not so wrong way back then.
this scent appeals to me now Just as much as then and maybe there is more appreciation on my part for just how long this has been a superb fragrance for men to wear. it is nice to know I was right to love this .two enthusiastic thumbs up..(from way back)..bravo chanel. I am a fan.

Oslo-fjord

Masterpiece! Sophistication in a bottle.

orestes
orestes

this fragrance discontinued? and remains only concetree version?

PilPilx
PilPilx

Stunning, elegant fragrance. Like a refined Eau Sauvage, very fresh very citrussy, so what if it's associated with the older generation, Im 25 and I Love its perfection BUT, i'm writing for THE VINTAGE formula!
The current is less good.
Try the original one, a Giant, a Ferox Lion.
Chanel WAS GREAT: Egoiste, Antaeus, Pour Monsieur.
All now riformulated... :(
Rating the vintage formula pre 1993: 10/10
Rating fot the current formula: 7/10

soloManolo
soloManolo

This is the epitome of barbershop smell.

ckman2011

ابحث عن الرائحة التي تناسبك

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

A true classic.
Pour Monsieur is the Chanel gentleman, opens citrus, green, clean, lemon verbena notes along with petigrain, lemon, green and fresh set.
Soon with the heart feels something spicy, floral and also, it reconciled the cloud green above, and with the passage of time becomes a little warmer, and semi powdery, dense.
A slight dry vetiver and woody touch the base, I believe that by restricting the moss he has the reformulation and so lost a bit this note, but still a bit remarkable.
Lustrous!

Bbjr
Bbjr

@dda, chill dude. People typically like fragrances because they think it smells good whether it was made today or 30 years ago. To each his own.

nero77
nero77

What to say about this understated masterpiece? A true, grown-up gentleman's fragrance! I suppose there is not much more to add than what has already been said, but put simply, EVERY man should smell like this!

Chanel pour Monsieur was made at a time when men were expected to be self-assured, professional, kind, caring individuals who treat women with respect, seldom raised their voice, always held doors open for people, offered a woman an umbrella in the pouring rain, who remembered to stand up when she entered the room. They were not meant to be ultra-macho or overly assert themselves in the face of others, because a real gentleman was secure in himself and did what he did because he believed in being a good human being.

Created in 1955 by the great Henri Robert (the man behind the famous Chanel no. 19), he was master of the understatement, and understood the value of having simple, high quality ingredients that came together to form a whole picture, making the wearer feel self-assured and good about themselves.

Rather than only having a single, overpowering note, the fragrance itself is extremely well balanced, so it's hard to pick out any individual notes, however the opening is one of a citrus/oakmoss wave that is both invigorating and at the same time extremely calming.

What follows is (in typical Chanel fashion), a slightly bittersweet, almost (to my nose) singiature aldehyde-like hint, to which ginger, cardamom and fresh herbs come through. All before drying down to an amazing vetiver and cedarwood finish, which settles on your skin for the rest of the journey, as well as maintaining the oakmoss vibe throughout.

There is nothing about this fragrance which is loud or in your face. This is in no way a powerhouse, it's very subtle and understated, but always lets you know that it is there (without overpowering those around you). It would be perfect on any formal occasion, along with a crisp shirt, suit, tie, and well-made shoes.

There is also no reason to suggest that the adult men of this day and age should not wear this fragrance either. Because the values that were expected of men in 1955 are still relevant today! I believe that any man wearing this fragrance would also display a high level of maturity and exude self confidence, because he wouldn't need assert himself upon those around him, instead he could simply relax, be at ease with himself, and do what he has to do in life without over-proving himself to anyone and everyone.

In a word, a TRUE gentleman's fragrance! Perfect for all clean, relaxed, confident men out there!

Brain-in-a-vat
Brain-in-a-vat

This was my first EDT as a working teenager in the 1980's. I bought it as it was the only male Chanel fragrance as I seem to remember. There was no Allure, Egoiste, etc in those days. It was very powerful and was the young mans smell of a bright rich future to come.

I totally forgot it in the last 30 years with the profusion of colognes that have entered the market but recently bought the Deo stick and it brought back all the memories. Pour monsieur is a wonderful fresh green color with grey packaging that go together excellently.

The smell is just too 80's nuclear fallout strength now for me; but I would recommend it to all to try on.....and enjoy its uplifting ride.

Sharp with citrus at first, and very lemony but in a good way. However, I can't make my mind up definitively whether I like it or not? I haven't got it so can't give a balanced review but it interests me as its quite a strange fragrance and generally I'm not mad about Chanel as a rule.

fhr
fhr

Really nice citrus start up , and seems to up to max average longevity, chosen between this one and eau sauvage as this one is mor mild and friendly skipping the unpleasant middlenote of eau sauvage. So PG is way better this field go for it, will be happy with your choice.

sussex2
sussex2

I know its unlikely to happen but … if you were ever in the position of having to choose just one fragrance to wear for the rest of your life what would it be?

Personally, I would look for a product made from the highest quality ingredients, blended to perfection. Of course it would have to be something that I would never tire of wearing. Something I would perceive as being beautiful throughout my life. But nothing too loud. I wouldn't want to wear a headache-inducing fragrance that felt the need to announce its presence five minutes before my arrival. In other words the very best that understated luxury had to offer would do just fine.

With all that in mind I can think of only one fragrance that satisfies: Paco Rabanne's 1 Million. Just kidding, it has to be Chanel's Pour Monsieur (sorry about the cheap shot 1 Million lovers – I'm just an old git who's stuck firmly in the past).

I have used Pour Monsieur for some time now and have found it to be as close to male fragrance perfection as I imagine a perfume can be. The way the fresh citrus top notes blend with the creamy spices and sit on top of the luxurious base of oakmoss and vetiver really does it for me. I can honestly say that if it were the only fragrance available I would be quite content.

In conclusion, I am prepared for the inevitable day Chanel takes over the world and forces us men to wear Pour Monsieur to the exclusion of all other scents; on pain of death. Aah, the sweet smell of dictatorship - I can smell it already.

peake1
peake1

Absolutely stunning Chanel! I thought I would never find a true classic my nose would be drawn to without labeling respectfully "old man vibe" but Pour Monsieur has done it. I do believe this will compete with my first love Platinum Egoiste as my "Upper Class" formal scent? The lemon balanced with the oakmoss makes this a real charmer that just oozes with Gentlemanly style in any decade or era.
Over All ~ 9/10 on first wearing! Maybe higher on the second?

jude1321
jude1321

Another timeless titan from Chanel. No doubt this is your classic old school gentleman scent. It is likely a little better than the concentre version that came out in 1988 or so. Both are great, although the concentre version does last longer. they do smell different enough where both can be purchased. the lemon beginning of Monsieur is beautiful and it tries down to a 1950s barbershop, gentlemanly masterpiece. Walking around the streets of Barcelona, day and night, in this puppy will make me remember this amazing city forever.plan a trip, and take this stuff with you. amazing way to remember that trip. i absolutely love it. yes, there are sexier scents out there, but this stuff is beautiful and will be as relevant yesterday and today as it will be in 70 years. nothing not to like about this gem.

gd15329
gd15329

I wanted so much to test this one but they didn't have it on the counter (grrr, shame on you...) maybe next time I will be luckier...

ZELJO
ZELJO

wow, thats class, when wearing that one you feel like a real gentleman, this citric fragance has got whole package you need to seduce in a smart way, its glamurous and very refreshing at the same time, its urban and wild at the same time, reminds to big cities and sunny mediterranean beaches at the same time...its magic in a bottle of Chanel...

skipster
skipster

Chanel Pour Monsieur is my signature scent and it will stay with me till the day I die. This is no matter how old I get and how many other wonderful fragrances I shall have the fortune to meet.

Pour Monsieur is the scent that blew the veil from my eye. It showed me that fragrance was a universe that went way beyond "smelling nice". It showed me that perfume could be fine art, to be enjoyed side by side with music, painting and other established art forms.

I caught my first sniff of PM when visiting an old friend of mine, who had been an enthusiast for several decades. I was not very impressed then, just thought that it smelled a little dated and stuffy.

The next year I went with my family on big city vacation. We visited a perfume store and I decided to try PM on my wrist for the afternoon. Just for the fun of it. Half an hour later we sat in a café, and that's when the miracles started.

I sensed a wonderful smell coming up from my wrist. But it was not the lemon blast that I remembered from the shop. It was a deep, warm, mossy sensation that could be an enchanted forest. Ten minutes later it had transformed into something else and even more wonderful. This went on and on, better and better.

I literally felt that the fragrance was alive and insisted that I should take it seriously and embrace it. And I sure did. Before returning to the hotel I had been back in the shop to buy a bottle and I have never looked back since. This should only be at my bank account, which since that day has suffered deeply from my new-found passion for fragrances.

Like some other reviewer I sincerely believe that this fragrance can actually make you a better human being, or at least a nicer person. It makes you calm and self-confident, and it has a miraculous ability to relieve stress. Spray all car interiors with PM, and road rage will be wiped off the face of the Earth.

A timeless masterpiece.

ssg

I have a few sealed bottles of vintage Pour Monsieur after shave that are from the 1970s, possibly even 1960s! Bought them from a house sale in Paris. Feel free to private me if interested and I can give more info...

girasolina
girasolina

I tried with all my strength to feel good this perfume, but I seem to have to drink this tea verbena because my nose feels just lots and lots of verbena which resets all other odors

Go4broke
Go4broke

After reading so many good things about this amazing juice, I decided to buy a 50ml decant. First blast is divine. Lots of lemon and cedar. Very refined and masterfully blended. I was very pleased to have this legendary fragrance in my collection. Except for one small thing: longevity. After an hour it is barely detectable. I'm gutted. Had the longevity on my skin been even 4 hours (im not greedy!) I would be keeping this one.

fragrantpete.
fragrantpete.

Simply beautiful. Timeless elegance. The citrus overture gives way to a complex symphony which recurs with variations over many hours.
Its a thing of wonder, and the product of the highest skill.

Mr.noise
Mr.noise

I think this masterpiece could be the father (1955) of Eau Sauvage (1966)

Housebliss
Housebliss

One of my favourites. I always compare this to Eau Sauvage, but I never seem to figure out which one I prefer. To me, PM smells "richer", while ES is a little "sharper".

It's a very comforting smell, and I'd use it much more often if it lasted more than 2-3 hours on my skin.

One of the cleanest fragrances I've smelled. Lovely, and very highly recommended.

pronose
pronose

it's less lasting than before! but it's a true gem after all and so unique!

1welshdevil
1welshdevil

Stunning, Classic fragrance. Like a refined Eau Sauvage, very fresh very citrussy, so what if it's associated with the older generation, Im 30 and I Love it, so fresh, perfect for Summer.

Descartes
Descartes

A classic chipre with a rich citrus opening and woods settle down notes. Is quite alike Dior’s eau de Sauvage and Pierre Cardin’s Pour Monsieur. A truly gentleman’s fragrance it feels sophisticated and conservative.

cockneykid1962
cockneykid1962

My 'go to' fragrance for the past two years...no complaints and an all-time classic.

sliver
sliver

Okay, let's get this out of the way - longevity and projection are not good with Pour Monsieur. (And I refer to the original, not the Concetree which I think is the only one available outside Europe and is a complete different and way inferior fragrance.) This was created in 1955 and we were some 30 years away from men actually being allowed to smell strongly of fragrance hence people might think they were - Ahum - a bit 'swishy'. Thus Pour Monsieur is subtle, masculine and quite simply one of the best male fragrances out there. But if you want to knock 'em dead, stick to A*Men.
It's just effortlessly classy and sophisticated, blended with a skill afforded few male fragrances. It's the fragrance to reach for whenever you're unsure what fragrance to wear - perfect date fragrance, perfect for the office and formal occasions - but it also works on heady nights out too. If you want it to be a bit stronger, than I suggest layering it with the Shower Gel, Aftershave, deodorant but I wouldn't suggest over-application (somehow it just doesn't seem right with Pour Monsieur). A spritz to your shirt collar is a good idea. I had my first bottle of PM in my late-twenties and actually brought for me by mistake. (My signature scent is Antaeus.) I'd tried it before but fallen into that unfortunate way of thinking that is was a 'Grandpa' scent. Ludicrous. True, it lacks the frivolity of modern fragrances and certainly isn't for everybody but PM is oblivious to age and fashion. It's completely timeless. In 20 years when most of the fragrances we spray on now won't be around anymore, you can bet your life PM will be. Elegant, warm, uplifting, charming and sexily understated. A masterpiece.

Lanark
Lanark

Guys, try layering Chanel Pour Monsieur with Égoïste (not the Platinum).

It's a heavenly scent. Truly elegant and classy.

10/10.

Jaakiem
Jaakiem

I find this very disturbing fragrance.

It lasts whole work day and it disturbs your work because you stop time to time to wonder where that faint but very modern and fresh smell is coming from. Every time it's you and Pour monsieur.

It's very bare chypre. I have had very nice experiencies layering it with other scents. It's nice, fresh moss ground for simple woods or soliflores to grow from.

Pour monsieur enchances nicely your own body odour too. You wear Pour monsieur and not the other way round.

I have tested most of the Les exclusifs only once, so I can't vow on this one yet, but I have sneaking suspicion that this one may be the best Chanel for men.

9,5/10

fanny
fanny

This cool yet cozy scent must be a great pleasure to many of us, men and women.
If understated class and perfect taste could be materialized in a perfume - and done so with admirable confidence - Chanel PM has made a close call...

mariasara
mariasara

For me this is the fragrance of the elegant men and my favorite fragrance for men. So well blended and balanced, a real gem. I agree with Tonni, as I find it tending to the chypre family. I´ll probably will end up using it (though I´m a lady)

This starts out rich and vibrant but no note is too strong; a nice accomplishment! After perhaps a couple of hours things get toned down quite a bit, and a slightly powdery/vanillic, slightly mossy drydown emerges (there's just a hint of the animalic too), with a hint of woods. Some may take issue with the low projection ("sillage") at this point, but the longevity is at least good. I have some I can decant for swaps or sales (half ounce) for those who are interested but not willing to pay the huge prices this now seems to be selling for.

Important Note: If you buy online, especially at ebay, you may see sellers claim that they have the "original" version yet if you look closely at the bottle it clearly says "Concentree," which is an entirely different scent (sweet oriental). Judging by some of the reviews here, people don't realize they bought the Concentree version (which I really dislike, due to its crudeness).

pcurry1961
pcurry1961

I first wore this back in the late 80's / early 90's. Revisited it recently.

I'm not qualified to describe it through the reference to fruits, spices and tree bark, but a lady I was with recently described it as a manly smell (reassuring, as I am a man).

It has a more traditional 'male' smell than is the norm today, but it's not as 'rough' as Aramis Tuscany (a medallion and chest wig style fragrance). It's definitely a grown up smell, which doesn't start out too strong, and it settles down to a steady fragance that lasts a full day.

Worth having a bottle on the bathroom shelf.

dutchschwag
dutchschwag

A wonderful blend of citrus, floral, woods and spice creates an incredibly rich and textured composition that has stood the test of time in Pour Monsieur. The selection of notes and blending are refined in ther attention to detail and patience in finding the right blend and evolution of the scent.
A true, genuine classic that has few equals and should be in the wardrobe of any man who loves truly genuinely fine things.
A landmark creation.

RachelGrigg

Update, longevity leves a lot to be desired... I better start saving. I can see I'm going to get through a hell of a lot of this stuff....

RachelGrigg

This is utterly beautiful. A blind buy and an astonishing love at first sniff and on and on and on. It's just enchanting. I'm a girly and this will compete with Guerlain Vetiver to be my new SF. The citrus top notes and indescribably beautiful dry down is just perfection. Love love love. I never thought it of Chanel somehow. Totally smitten.

ksfisher
ksfisher

I have original Chanel for Men circa 1984 in both aftershave and cologne. I realize you shouldn't keep fragrance that long but since I cannot buy it anymore I will hang onto it until it evaporates. Chanel pour Monsieur is close, a bit spicier but still makes my heart race and my knees weak when I smell it...just to give you gentlemen fair warning (from a woman). This fragrance will always be a classic, deliciously unassuming and disarming, so please, wear it with caution.

MrMookie
MrMookie

How much more sophisticated a fragrance can be?
This is the most gentlemanly scent ever made!
The name only couldn't be branded better, as i recon this to be an all-time classic (like a beethovens symphony)

I imagine myself a whole lot of scenes when i smell this on my skin, imagine men being gentleman,elegant to women and greet others in a kind way, be intelligent , take wise choices and make this world a better place in anyway he tries.. so yessss it tells stories )

In this fragrance i truly see the art of fragrances well made and its not because this scent is sexy or tricky to the nose.. it just IS ...
This must be part of any case study for younger scent specialists around the world as its so plain simple but so good.

I truly think this scent will turn a person (a man in this case) more into a better and postive direction if he's wearing this.

Let me explain :

- lesser aggitation
- More patient and galllant in traffic to others
- Hold doors for others in crowds
- Be more gentle to people you work with or with customers and clients.
-... fill in yourself

This scent evolves also on your skin and gets warmer and deeper. I hope i can smell all stages of it soon as i want to buy it.

This scent is not meant for teenagers and guys in their 20's for sure so please dont buy it blind...
perfect for men aged 40+ and older...

Deep bow for the nose and love to get a whiff of this more.

jrichart
jrichart

Chanel Pour Monsieur es la quintaesencia de lo que es un perfume Chipre y de lo que es un perfume epítome de la elegancia y la discreción, como pretendió concebir Chanel a muchos de sus perfumes. No es un Chipre complejo como el Cuero Chipre Derby de Guerlain o el Madera Chipre Antaeus de Chanel pero esto no quita que no tenga mérito porque Pour Monsieur pese a la simplicidad de sus ingredientes y composición esta inteligentemente balanceado y armonizado en su conjunto. En resumen, un perfume con mayúsculas, esto es la encarnación de la elegancia y de la comodidad. El único pero es que no proyecta demasiado ni su perdurabilidad es maratónica, pero esta característica es lo que hace a esta fragancia digna de estar en el podio de la elegancia y el refinamiento pues la elegancia no entiende de avasallamientos ni de arrogancia sino de discreción y bienestar sin aristas.

tonni
tonni

I think it's more chypre than fougere,the oakmoss and vetiver are noticed as actors from beginning to ending,it's a classic and elegent gentlemen from England.

sf2explus
sf2explus

This does not smell old and ill prove it.
so lets just say for the people who say this smells old, it doesn't. It smells sophisticated and classic, and one thing we know about classic style is, it never goes out of fashion. For example scents that smell modern today may be very popular, but give most of them another 10-20 years on the market and at that point most of those scents will smell dated and you will go and buy chanel pour monsuir as it will still remain modern and availiable on the shelf, because it is timeless masterpeice.

I love the clean soapy feel of this scent, i only get the same feeling if i wear creed original vetiver or Acqua di parma colonia.
For me this smells of some of the most expensive soap you can think of. A little green and soapy, you only need one spray to the neck and one on each wrist (remember it's a chanel sprayer)
sillage is good for the first 2-3 hours and lasts a good 4-6 hours and fades in to become very close to the skin.

Scent 9/10

LANIER
LANIER

Chanel Pour Monsieur is the platinum standard for all men's cologne. If first picked Chanel Pour Homme (now long gone) up in a drug store when I was twenty-one and thought, well if Chanel was good enough for Marilyn Monroe then this might be just the ticket for me. In the age of patchouli, frangipani and tie-dye I really stood out in my Chanel and made a bold statement that at any time in history real style never succumbs to momentary trends.
With the passing of Henri Robert's original classic i graduated to Pour Monsieur. I often try new and exciting scents but always, always come back to Chanel Pour Monsieur. Both men and women invariably comment in the positive when I wear it. It is never overpowering but draws people in. Yet for me what really matters is how I feel when I have it on.
Henri Robert was a master and created a scent for men that is less about its wonderful notes of citrus spices and mosses but more about the emotional impact it has from the surface of the skin all the way into the soul. It is the history of male glamour, strength and style in a bottle and it is still alive and well in Chanel Pour Monsieur.
Five Plus Platinum stars *****+

rt94103
rt94103

I just received my 8 oz (!) VINTAGE "C" foil-sealed splash-bottle I found on eBay for $50. The packaging, (box included), seems to indicate this big bottle is early 70s perhaps even 60s. Ullage seems minimal if any.

There's nothing like a big, decadent, Chanel splash bottle. And this one is mine!!!

Good grief, I love this scent. This was my first cologne back in the 70's, it is my sig-scent and it will be on me when I die. (I may need it...)

I find great pleasure from this scent which I enjoyed in my youth, and now fiddy, I respect this scent more than any other.

It is a long established premise that familiarity produces liking; my taste has grown over the past half century, and my liking for Chanel Pour Monsieur has kept pace.

The evolution this scent makes in a day is more than most people accomplish in a lifetime.

Classic, complex, versatile and demure, with many moods and expressions. The perfect men's fragrance.

flaneur
flaneur

this fragrance is a miracle. on me it changes quite a bit throughout the day, reacting to my chemistry and turning into something a lot more powedery and floral. the citrus doesn't last long. such a complex, sophisticated scent. i can't understand how some call it 'old'... i think it is a work of genius. i put this on and feel elegant...all day.

Oslo-fjord

-Class, elegance, style, discretion.. The most refined fragrance in the world? Yes, I think so!

mohsen j
mohsen j

بوی لیمو کاملا در آن مشهود است و خیلی کلاسیک است
به نظرم یه جورایی بوی داروخانه ها را می دهد
کسی را آزار نمی دهد اما نظر دیگران وقتی از آن استفاده می کنم متوسط است

starlingmoss
starlingmoss

I've been wearing this fragrance, on and off, since the early sixties. It is one of the few perfumes for men that does not contain heavy, artificial musks - especially in my youth when all one had was Old Spice or Brut. I love the top note of bergamot and the delicate spices. It tones down to a mossy, powdery aroma which, sadly, doesn't last. Even with its shortcomings it is my favourite, as it is intimately entwined with my past and present life. Beware , though, there are fakes aplenty out there.
Anyone remember Caribbean Extract of Lime?

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

Really different. Dries similar to Rochas or Play Intense, though starts different, almost lavenderish to me with lemon top. Stays close to skin, not that long lasting to me (although mild sweet basenotes survive). Semi-thumbs up.

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

I expected something rich and balanced, but as soon as I sprayed it I smelled lemon. A lot of lemon. Lemon on the paper, and later lemon on my skin. Lemon on both of them half an hour later. I'm sure there are other things in it, but honestly, I couldn't detect them.
It's an excellent lemon, don't get me wrong. But I want a perfume to be more interesting than that.

JohnMc
JohnMc

Keen to explore the classic men's fragrance offerings of the 50's & 60's I have found some such as 'Eau Savage' to be initially appealing, but ultimately unable to sustain my interest beyond the primary phase. 'Tabac' was more appealing however, so it was with a mixture of curiosity and enthusiasm that I tried out Pour Monseur and its sibling PM Concentree. Of the two I initially found the concentree version to be more appealing. However, after giving PM a second test I can safely say that the mixture of refreshing citruses and woods in this composition, I find to be very uplifting, pleasant and timeless. I have also tried for example 'Givenchy Gentlemen' another contemporary of Pour Monseur, yet for me I personally found it to be dated. I am amazed that a fragrance created some half a century + can be so fresh and contemporary. I respect that people find that this scent to be reminiscent of their grandparents, all I can say is your Grandpas had great taste!

jtd
jtd

Expectation is so often the issue in not liking a perfume. We have an idea in mind and foster a notion of what a perfume will be. We might have read a list of notes or a review. Really we just shoot ourselves in the foot.

But in Pour Monsieur the expectation is Chanel's fault. The top notes of PM are so singingly beautiful, so inspiring. I want to be The Man Who Wears This Fragrance. 20 minutes later if you're close enough to me to notice, I'm The Guy Who Might Have Put On Cologne This Morning.

The disappointment: it simply doesn't last. The shame: it becomes surprisingly indistinct before it fades away to nothing.

Taliera
Taliera

All you men might appreciate a woman's take on this... First of all, I didn't know it was a man's fragrance until after I smelled it (and looked on the bottle). Can I be so bold as to say that it really hit the spot with sex appeal...? Being heterosexual, some perfumes formulated for men stir up the sex centre before it has even been registered in the brain (seduction of the opposite sex is no doubt one of the goals when creating a perfume). Scientists have proven that a lot of sexual interest actually comes from smell. This is true of body odour and other scents. And I am always so intrigued when I find a perfume that has this effect on me. Definitely going to be the present for Valentine's Day...

ION
ION

"Pour Monsieur" is one of those perfumes every perfumer (no matter his background, who he works for or what he represents) will agree it's great!
In a way it is the the definition of a "good perfume".
Being on the "light" side (not very masculine or "shout out") it is a clear statement of class, elegance and of a certain (very European) attitude towards life.
Not many people are wearing this nowadays (good taste is not a very common thing, anyway), but it is surprising how "valid" it remains by today's standards!
The only element in its formula that breaths something old is the trace of class and moderation it leaves behind.
A masterpiece!

A note: It is an ideal fragrance to start your day. Women can safely wear it as well.

krmarich
krmarich

This was the first fragrance mass marketed exclusiveley for men. Indeed, like No 5 in 1921, designed to smell like a woman, this was created to smell like a man. Citrus, basil and plenty of green notes. The spices give it a virile push. A few floral notes peek through here and there. The rich mossy fougere accord cannot be matched.

It changed the market and men began steering clear of Mitsouko and Chypre. The gate was opened and the mens market began.

This thoroughbred was destroyed with a sweeter reformulation the bears little resemblance to the original.

Celebrity=Cary Grant

IanB
IanB

Have been wearing it as my main fragrance for over 30 years! Simply put it is just a lovely smell. It's clean, fresh and gentle; the sought of fragrance you can wear at a dinner without ruining the meal for everyone.
The smell everyone loves (my mother used to spray it on herself as she loved it so much)
Chanel herself made this for the men in her life, enough said really.
The perfect fragrance for a man.

rafiqi
rafiqi

its a great fragrance.. the citrus note is wonderfull.. then comes the second note where the lovely spices tingling around.. its fresh and everybody love it

Minimephisto
Minimephisto

Confidence is the word.

It does not give an outright burst of loud masculinity, yet it is not quiet. It is subtle in its own way, making a wide locus of aura around you, like a circle of trust. In the circle, you will feel calm, as your surrounding people shall also shall this calm. They will somehow like you.

Gentlemen's Choice, as it is so named.

For solemn events for sure.

twlahue
twlahue

I tried it,
It smells exactly like Pour Monsieur Concentre, but does not last near as long- only lasted about an hour on me and it does not have the great vanilla/vetiver drydown of PMC.

Definitely stick with PMC instead.

Current formulation:

I know this was an huge release from Chanel, influential, kind of reference perfume but I'm not totally convinced by this formulation. The opening is really pleasant with a crispy lemon note and neroli. It turns even more interesting within a few minutes with an animalic twist that takes the distance form millions and millions of men's colognes but I get totally disappointed in the drydown where PM becomes unacceptably dated. Older man (grandpa) in suit at the barbershop. Sorry, but not for me.

Rating: 9/10 for its relevance
6.5/10 for the drydown

Cylob
Cylob

I'm not a citrus guy but with the great drydown it is forgiven. Great for summer / suit wearings. Radiates class in a subtle way. At first I didn't really like it, but now that I'm more into chypre, I realize how wonderfully executed this is.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

I'm on the fence.
I hate hate hate the lemon opening, lemon sickens me, it overpowers scents and ruins them.
But this scent, I dies completely after the drydown, and makes for a nice lil sweet, green fragrance.
If it wasn't for the lemon I'd be on this

Slamwich
Slamwich

This starts off with a bit of a "wake up!" kind of freshness. Citric. It didn't last too long for me, though. The elements of the top notes faded quickly, in a way that made it feel like those were for me, and me only. Like the cologne and I had a secret understanding. One that those I would soon deal with in the general public will never be privy to. Following that, Chanel Monsieur took a different direction.

I was hit with the feeling of "This smells like a man". Not a boy, not a guy, not a dude. A man. But that isn't to say manly as in tough. If I smelled this approaching me in a dark alley, I wouldn't think "Oh no, I'm in for a beat down and a mugging". I may be persuaded to think "Oh no, I'm in for an old fashioned mugging", but it's the old fashioned that is tied to the scent, the mugging just comes from living at Jane and Wilson in Toronto.

That is how I would put this. An old fashioned man. This actually makes me think of a time, more than an age. For instance, if I were to wear this when I'm twenty to thirty years older, I don't think it would suit me. If I were to wear it fifty-some years ago (with me ten years older, perhaps) it would suit me just fine. It's interesting to come across something that smells like an age rather than someone's age. Especially since I get the feeling of an age I wasn't even alive in, and should have no reference to.

I enjoy this, but I don't feel I could wear it frequently. It's out of my league, in how it would present me as a person. This is how I picture Bruce Wayne's dad smelling. You know... before the whole being gunned down in an alley thing.

If comic book lore isn't your thing, and you can't picture that, I submit the point in which Tom Buchanan is having a conversation with Jay Gatsby in F. Scott Fitzgeralds "The Great Gatsby", which goes something along the exact lines of:

Buchanan: "You can never be like us Gatsby. We're old money"
Gatsby: "Well, how old?"
Buchanan: "So old..."
Buchanan: "Old as balls."

Yeah, Buchanan was wearing something like Chanel Pour Monsieur when he said that. No doubt.

Well, I wouldn't call this fragrance 'antique', 'old-fashioned' or 'mature'. Pour Monsieur is a classic which has been around for decades, however it makes such a smooth transition into every decade, paticularly this one.

Pour Monsieur is nothing utterly breath-taking. It won't be encouraging me to jump any man wearing it, however with that being said, it is sexy in a grown-up, clean fashion.

I find this fragrance to be a particularly beautiful blend of citrus and herbs, with both accords creating a harmonious and friendly experience.

Pour Monsieur strikes me as being the scent of a business-man. He's focused, confident, intelligent and smartly dressed. In some ways, Pour Monsieur is the male equivalent to Chanel No.19, just perhaps not as green and leathery.

Apparently Pour Monsieur is a chypre, well I don't know too much about that particular fragrance genre, but I guess that oakmoss in the base places it into that category. I find the cedar and amber to be much more prominent.

This fragrance is one of those refreshingly green scents with a touch of spiciness, which provides an interesting warmth. The sillage is so-so, however this fragrance does last extremely well. Not the very best Chanel fragrance for men, but certainly impressive.

RobbieX
RobbieX

An excellent citrus/spicy fragrance that has a lot of character. However, there is a clove note in there that I find very slightly off putting. I would think that this is a citrus aromatic not an oriental fougere though. But it IS a classic and it's gorgeous! Also, try Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene, it's very similar and it's great too.

andrevarx
andrevarx

This fine entry EDT has notes of fresh, clean, little citrus, followed by middle notes a bit spicy, clove-like odor, narotas d base with wood and subtle shades like cream and light scent of spices.

It is a very masculine scent and elegant, a true classic. Perfect for a formal dress, including official think for a gala evening is a soft, pungent aroma at the same time, really noticeable. It is best to use it for the night, on formal occasions, is very elegant, despite its use at night can be used in hot or cold, this fragrance is very comfortable. The age range is universal, only requires the event to be used, a true wonder. Stay in skin for about 12 hours. Almost perfect.

Broadbent
Broadbent

One of the most discreet and elegant fragrances for men period.

Chanel simultaneously broke the mold for men's fragrances of the time and then set what I consider the standard for subtle, refined masculine elegance.

This frag is older than me yet it holds its own against any of todays popular up-and-comers. It is dynamic while being laid back. It comes on STRONG yet is not overpowering as it progresses. It never losses its quiet strength or its ethereal beauty. This is the iron fist in a velvet glove (real crushed velvet, not that tacky velour crap), make no mistake because it contains peony, verbena and corriander this scent has the "cojones"
to hold its own and once the velvet glove is off it is all business.

The only store in a 50 mile radius that carried this is now out of business, so it is years since I've had the privilege of wearing it. It is like the old-fashioned stylish worldly grandfather who helped define your ideas of masculinity and how a man should carry himself, and even though he may be gone he is not forgotten and continues to inspire you to be better and never ever settle or lower your standards. Sorely missed, yet ever present and a BIG part of who you are...

Sillage: fantastic!!
Longevity : excellent (fades to great)
Overall: 5/5 *Perfection*

There is no mistaking this fragrance and once you've experienced it you will not be the same, for it's the distillation of more than juice...it's masculine strength and beauty realised!

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

Who knew that a mix of ...
Citrus , Corainder and Cedar
would equal to ..
Sophistication and Elegance in a bottle!

This was my absolute fave fragrance when I was a teenager...
I would spalsh this on liberaly
while in Highschool..

Later when I was working for CHANEL Inc.
it was the Fragrance de riguer to wear

I was the Sophisticated,Worldly,Creature
that I had always wished to be ...
My Crisp White Shirt.. Red CHANEL logo Tie, Grey Trousers and Navy Blazer....
and the one amazing Scent that tied it all in a luxurious French Ribbon ..
POUR MONSIEUR Chanel.

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

As I slide my navy crombie blazer from the walnut hanger of my wardrobe, I feel a tingle of excitement that soon I will be applying Pour Monsieur - that cultivated, smooth, confident and suave scent. This is all about gravitas, depth. A crisp white chirt, silk tie, charcoal trousers, black brogue loakes, silk hankerchief top pocket and Pour Monsieur. It is the Gentleman's scent par excellence. The initial opening of neroli and citrus gives way to a dry down of ginger and vetiver that is so subtle as to be sleight of hand. This scent is like furniture polish for the soul, it lifts the mood, gets the juices aflame and says "step aside, classic male breezing through in sartorial style". If Louis the XIV had a fragrance, then the Sun King would have bathed in the stuff. Bravo Madame Chanel!

andrew85
andrew85

Elegance in a bottle, i am very suprised that this was created in 1955 because it doesnt smell oldfashioned at all... smells very discret, sofisticaded, one of the most sensual, high class perfume out there...

the best male perfume in the history by far, so chic, sofisticaded, soft, elegance... this masterpiece is very similiar to Cristalle in the drydown, but with the masculine touch to it... for this is Cristalle Pour Homme....

actiasluna
actiasluna

Definitely unisex, though for the middle it definitely has a very, very pipe tobacco/leather masculine edge. The drydown on me smells almost coconutty, along with the cedar/vetiver... yum! At one stage in the middle I was saying it was such a masculine scent I could just...and then I remembered, this is the scent my uncle wore. (so much for the I could just... part!)

The drydown's softness is where its femme lies, IMO. Kind of like that really macho guy who, at his core, has a soft, soft heart. (or, I suppose, a strong, confident woman. Not for the young!)

I Will add it to my wardrobe in a few weeks!

BeautifulDreamer
BeautifulDreamer

Although it has "antique" apeal, it's still very modern, elegant, and fresh. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I can imagine myself wearing it on some occasions...

Lyndy Hop
Lyndy Hop

This was my first attempt at wearing a men's fragrance and was purchased mainly based on my friend's rave recommendations. Again, she was right and I quickly became smitten (at first whiff, actually) with this gorgeous concoction.

I was hit with a sharp, fresh burst of citrus right out of the gate and then, after maybe a minute or so, a blend of rich, delicious spices followed suit and settled in, unobtrusively melding to blend in with that mossy, powdery, elegant drydown that has become a familiar Chanel trademark. Ummmmm...heaven! I never lost track of the citrus notes but, although they were no longer the key players, they remained gently clinging to the spices throughout like a thin veil. It's kind of a paradox in that it has an exceptionally fresh, youthful, and modern feel, yet still evokes the sense of classic, almost vintage, sophistication and timeless beauty. Unfortunately, like Chanel 19 (one of my all-time favorites also created by Henri Robert), it's short-lived on the skin, but does linger for quite some time when spayed additionally on clothing and hair.

For women who don't feel enough bravado to wear a man's fragrance, this is a good one with which to test the waters and I recommend you definitely give it a try. It's undeniably unisex, delightfully fresh and just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

[Please note: This review is about the non-concentree version.]

Indro
Indro

A class of it's own,I have the EDT spray,a bit unfortunate that it does'nt last long on skin,one can get better result if applied on fabric.

Castor
Castor

"The" traditional chypre for men.

Longevity and sillage play according to the rules of a time when men did not wear scents, and if they did, they did not want to be smelt at in social occasions.

In these terms, Chanel pour Monsieur is in the same league as vintage Rochas' Moustache, Monsieur de Givenchy and Dior's Eau Sauvage, for they all have this "classic subtlety" in common.

sky76sky
sky76sky

"Timeless Elegance"....

Timeless & on-trend with its almost unisex appeal. Its clean citrus opener is gentle, there is a breath of sweet neroli & a wonderful savory herb & spice mix that lifts the warm earthy base. A touch of dusty powder adds a slight feminine edge to this classic. Elegant, very elegant.

For me the most suprising find was that it whisked me straight back to being a very young child. It was the smell of the box containing my farmyard toy set (one of my absolute favourites!). Lord knows how it ended up smelling so beautiful :)

hathor
hathor

my partner has this is his "wardrobe" which has grown under my influence. he likes the lemon in the top note. this really is a timeless classic, he was most surprised that it came from such a brown decade as the fifties. it's lemony without being sharp, and changes into a wonderful soft warm smell, it lasts on him too. it's my favourite of all his smells.

Lunohodik

today I went shopping with a friend of mine, I was telling him about how I became a perfumemaniac...
I mentioned Pour Monsieur and how impressed I was with this fantastic male perfume, we went and tested it together. I tell you what! It fits great on mine and his skin! Now we both want to buy it! I think that it would look equally great on both women and men. Its kind of unisex:) Its masculiness will emphasize femininity and tenderness:)))

Lunohodik

I love this perfume, and I don't think that its old-fashioned at all. I was surprised that it was created in the 50's 'cos it seems to be more modern then some other more resent fragranses

da_markos
da_markos

it's soo classic. some ppl tell that's scent of our parents/grandparents.... so whta???!! it's still great! you are making statement by wearing this fragrance

Pour Monsieur by Chanel 4.25 out of 5 based on 669 ratings and 109 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Chanel Pour Monsieur fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Chanel Pour Monsieur, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Pour Monsieur by Chanel. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Pour Monsieur by Chanel represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.