Designers » C » Floral « Groups

Enjoli Charles of the Ritz for women

Enjoli Charles of the Ritz for women
dislike

aldehydic
Enjoli Charles of the Ritz for women Videos Enjoli Charles of the Ritz for women Videos

Enjoli by Charles of the Ritz is a Floral fragrance for women. Enjoli was launched in 1978. Top notes are aldehydes, green notes, peach, hiacynth and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, orchid, orris root, jasmine and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, vanilla, oakmoss and cedar.

Aldehydes Green Notes Peach Hiacynth Bergamot

Aldehydes Green Notes Peach Hyacinth Bergamot

Carnation Tuberose Orchid Orris Root Jasmine Rose

Sandalwood Amber Musk Vanilla Oakmoss Cedar Wood

The Eight Hour Perfume For The 24 Hour Woman

"I can bring home the bacon, Enjoli, fry it up in a pan, Enjoli, and never let you forget you're a man. I can work until 5 o clock, come home and read you tick-ety-tock, and if it's loving you want I can kiss you and give you the shivers, Enjoli"

- Fragrance Ad 1980s

This was my mother's "secret fragrance". She kept it to herself and never brought it home to be displayed in her dresser table with her Avon and Dana perfumes. She always kept it with her in her handbag and brought it with her to work. At that time she was employed as a maid and housekeeper in some of the loveliest townhouses and penthouses in Manhattan. The fragrance dates from around 1978 but she was wearing it through the 1980's and early 90's. As this was advertised as being the 8 hour perfume for the 24 hour woman, and my mother worked so hard for more than 8 hours, this was the kind of perfume she liked to wear to make her feel womanly and gorgeous, even if she was washing windows and cleaning toilets. This was a casual every day fragrance for a woman to wear to work - whatever work that may be - at the office, a classroom, a court of law, etc, and also wear it when her day is done and she comes home. The lasting power was supposed to be 8 hours but I never confirmed it. My mother eventually told me that it might have lasted for about 6 hours instead.

My mother is as big a fan of fragrances and an avid collector as I am. She introduced me to this fragrance recently. They are still selling on ebay although it is largely a discontinued fragrance. I'd already experienced Charlie by Revlon and Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent and to me Enjoli is from the same fragrance family. This is a cheap modern floral for the modern working class woman. It's not fair to call it cheap but the price was always very affordable. The fragrance, however, is absolutely beautiful and smells more expensive. The oak moss gives this scent the aura of a chypre. So if you like chypres and florals, this is very lovely. It's casual and soothing, powdery, womanly, mature, comforting and not abrasive. I was afraid it would be a bit too powerful as it does have all the big whopper notes of aldehydes and lots of flowers, but it's really quite enjoyable as a powdery fragrance. Like Charlie and Rive Gauche, it's an uplifting and easy to wear floral fragrance.

At the first spritz of Enjoli my nose picked up on the scent of fresh aldehydes, citrus and peach. It has a traditional fruity floral opening. Sweet, fresh, and very nice. It's not long before those aldehydes have disappeared and the scent turns flowery. There is tuberose but it's bigger on carnation, rose, hyacinth and orchid. I love all these flowers and each are very detectable. It's a bouquet of beautiful flowers. The orris root provides the scent with powder along with the rose which is also powdery. The tuberose is creamy but nowhere near the obscenity of Giorgio Beverly Hill's tuberose. The flowers are sweet, soft, and mellow. It's like floral powder to get you through your day.

The dry down is vanillic and woodsy. I smelled vanilla as soon as it began to dry and it's a powdery vanilla. The woods and oak moss are noticeable as well. The cedar and sandalwood take this fragrance back, back a number years before the 70s and 80's, when fragrances were big on woods and chypres were in vogue. It's never too woodsy as to smell of a forest or pine. It's a wood that has to be there to support the flowers. After a while all I smell is pure vanilla with a degree of musk.

This is a spring and summer fragrance, it's fresh, it's floral and it's vanilla-scented. It couldn't possibly be mistaken for a unisex fragrance, and it's definitely not for little girls. This is a woman's perfume. I must admit I found the TV commercial to be hilarious as it's so outdated (like this perfume) and almost sexist. "I never let you forget you're a man?" Really? He forgot? And although I admire working class women who can take care of everything: the home, the career, the children, the husband, my modern feminism leans more toward a single woman making it on her own in a man's world. My mother was a very hard working, devoted single mother who raised me and my sister on her own and never remarried after my father ruined the home. My mother's strength, courage, and perserverance always inspired me. I don't think this fragrance has anything to do with the 24 Hour woman, but rather with all women in general. Whethere you're a married lady, single lady, or single mother, this is a perfume for the woman in all of us. We go through a lot and we need not remind men that they're men, but rather remind ourselves that no matter how hard life can be, we are beautiful. I really enjoyed this fragrance and you would too.

Wear this if you also enjoyed:

Fidji Guy Laroche

Femme by Rochas

Charlie by Revlon

Rive Gauche Yves saint Laurent

Estee Lauder Beautiful

Every woman is a flower and her perfume is her fragrance.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

This is one of my first perfume loves. I wore the hell out of this one. The green feminine powdery, spicy jasmine is second to none and what sets it apart.

Its a little bit floral, little green, little oriental with its ambery spicy musk. Its a little bit rock and roll, but not over done. It just plain works for me. I picked up 1/8 of the perfume and recognized it instantly.

I'll put some on and bring home the bacon baby!!! Lol

nordhaul
nordhaul

Bows, High Heels, Atomizers w/tassles
Never saw the commercials, but loved
the scent as a kid. Love the name and
the maker's name "Charles of the Ritz"
too. Exactly how I wanted to smell like
at the time. Quintessentially! ..Peace..

asheslaree
asheslaree

Reviewing - A vintage ebay purchase, not sure of the year.

This is not my favorite thing, its a little to strong with the amber, peach, vanilla and jasmine vibe. I liked it better when first sprayed but the dry down is defiantly a peachy-amber mess that does not work well on me.

elph
elph

Most of what I remember about this perfume is the advertising. There was the jingle, sung with a torch song growl in the voice, "I can bring home the bacon/Fry it up in a pan/And never ever let you forget you're a man/'Cause I'm a woman/Enjoli!" And I seem to recall the actress dancing with a frying pan while wearing a power suit with shoulder pads. I'm going to have to track that ad down on youtube and see if I'm remembering it right.

bonnie52
bonnie52

Another blast from the past! My brother gave this to me as a gift back in high school when it was brand new. I loved the ultra feminine but not too floral scent. The fragrance lasted for a long time too.

UPDATE: If you are looking for a vintage bottle of this, beware. I was overjoyed because I found one on EBAY. When it arrived, I couldn't wait to smell it. It was really rank smelling : ( I don't know if it doesn't age well or if it wasn't stored properly. I won't be taking any more chances buying "vintage" scents.

GlobalGirlyGirl
GlobalGirlyGirl

"Cause I'm a woman...Enjoli!"

At 16, you think you're all grown up. A woman. This was my first signature scent. It smelled exactly how I saw myself at the time - strong, fierce, and mature. A little full of myself? More than a little. I was cocky as all get out.

You need a big perfume to match an ego that big. Enjoli was that. Feminine and floral - not in an Laura Ashley tea length dress kind of way. Think Ann Taylor pantsuit in the office - with the requisite shoulder pads of the 80s.

It lasted a long time and the dry down was very warm and musky. Great perfume. It was my first. And you never forget your first. ;-)

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

Enjoli is one of my perennial favourites going on 27 years! It is a classic green floral. Very femme. I have vintage perfume, vintage cologne, and the current concentrated cologne. Enjoli has not changed much. I suspect my vintage is smoother because of age not because the current product is different. Packaging couldn't be uglier. I get lots of compliments when I wear Enjoli. Not to mention all the laughs and nostalgia moments when people ask me what I'm wearing, lol!

This is a bright floral green aldehyde on me. It opens with a burst of fresh airy aldehydes and slowly settles into a bright floral heart, eventually settling into a woody green, slightly mossy base. I find this to be a cool bright fragrance, with equal doses of flowers and green leaves. I can detect a bit of oakmoss here, but its not heavy, so it never feels too heavy or mossy, but maintains a green brightness. I think it's recognizable as coming from a certain era, as I can't think of any current fragrances that smell like this.

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

I wore Enjoli just about 30 yrs ago, when I was 13-14. My best guy friend said I smelled "like fabric softener". Oh, the memories. Enjoli reminds me of feathered hair, mohair boatneck puffy sleeve sweaters, liquid roll on cherry flavored lip gloss, and who can forget that infectious TV commercial jingle?! :-)

mimila
mimila

I scored a large (4 oz.)? bottle of vintage Enjoli at a thrift store. Like most folks of a certain age I remember seeing the T.V. ads and hearing the tagline " the 8 hour fragrance for the 24 hour woman." Which frankly seems like a lot for any fragrance to live up to. I have been wearing Enjoli at work for the last 2 days and honestly its pretty, floral and well, feminine. it does last 8 hours easily and I have not smelled even remotely masculine so I that and my gender would make me a 24 hour woman, however,I was expecting something sexier considering the ad campaign. My coworker was , as usual, bathed in Elizabeth Taylors Passion and frankly she smelled more exciting than I did.

b.a.denney
b.a.denney

I used to wear this in the late 80's. It was a strong perfume. Sort of a classic. All these reviews say it has been reformulated. Sad. Of course it probably wouldn't be quite my thing anymore anyways.

pfcs
pfcs

I haven't had this in many years, but would enjoy it again. The ad campaign was genius for the time.

meg1969
meg1969

I really wish Charles of the Ritz (or whoever owns this now) would put it back in circulation. What a fab frag and even better ad campaign! They could reintroduce the frag in an ad in between mad men episodes. Seriously, I think this was genius it its day and I hate that ebayers are charging so much for what was an $8 drug store scent.

cleanerchic
cleanerchic

Really liked this back in the day. 1980's. Looks like it's discontinued. Just as I wanted to try it again. And Many are getting rich on E-bay and amazon on Enjoli. Not about to pay the price for it. Sorry I will find a new fragrance.

cisco
cisco

I have a small bottle that was gifted to me by awesomeness. Perhaps mine is missing some of the notes because, in my opinion, this is an Orietal Floral. It has great sillage and lasting power.

It is not a light fragrance and seems better suited for cool/cold weather. I think I would put this in the evening category.

This is pleasant but I do not think I would purchase more.

beautyenvy
beautyenvy

I have always remembered that commercial and loved it when my mom would wear it. It was a favorite on her mirrored tray along with chanel no. 5, Georgio, and Shalimar. Don't really remember what the perfume smells like now, but I'm not a fan of the Charles of the Ritz fragrances.

Lassie
Lassie

Is this stuff still around? And did they reformulate it, if it is? Because the last time I saw it in a drugstore I spritzed a tiny spritz for old times sake and thought it was very different - it smelled...bitter! Definitely not the heady stuff I sprayed on every day years ago. Bitter!...(last time I wore it was 20 years ago, when my new mother-in-law called me in early December when she was out Christmas shopping. Panting, breathless, she said "quick, tell me, what kind of perfume do you like? What kind do you want for Christmas?" I was speechless, LOL! WTH??? Well, at least I wouldn't be stuck with another bottle of nameless body lotion, lol! So, I said, "I always liked Enjoli" - though I wanted to say Chanel No. 5 or Diorissimo, I named the old fallback, Enjoli, lol.)

big bunches of flowers, mixed with spice, rolled into a carpet of amber musk, dipped lightly in vanilla.
very strong, very in your face, but very captivating. a great perfume for a fun night out. thats how i remember it. i loved enjoli.

TrinitySydney
TrinitySydney

My mom's signature fragrance for years, and my dad was madly in love with her always, but especially when she wore this.

This will always remind me of my mom hugging me. <3

arg1971
arg1971

another perfume I wore back in the day in my teen era Iknow that it was very popular too bad they dont carry this in the local stores anymore

luckystar12
luckystar12

It was my first teen fragance... no more words, I Love it

Ari
Ari

I loved, loved, loved this fragrance back in college and to the writer Nebraskaloves....You are so right, that damn so stays with you, cause after having read your review, I could hear the song and see the woman in the commercial.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

I remember this from the 70's very well! EVERYONE WORE THIS SCENT along with La Jardan. It's along the lines of Charlie (Cheap N Chic). Enjoli is not bad but not great either. I wouldn't ware for even a day-brings back too many memories for me. Its Ok on someone else but just not me.

katyas
katyas

I picked up a bottle today - my local Big Lots had a bottle for $6, so ... I took a sniff, was happy with what I smelled and brought it home. I get a lot of spice - such as carnation, orchid, tuberose, etc. - and of course the amber, and the sandalwood, maybe a bit of the oakmoss. I don't get much in the way of sweet florals, just the spicy ones. But that's the way I like it - on me, then, it is basically an Oriental floral or Spicy Floral or whatever the correct way to put that would be.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

There were reviews up for this perfume but they "disappeared". I remember there were at least two reviews. *Poof* They are gone.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

I was surprised to see this staple of the 1970's had no reviews yet, so I took a trip to a local discount store to sample it and refresh my memory.

Enjoli was worn by many women my mother's age and by many of my babysitters in the 1970's. It had a very memorable ad campaign: "I can bring home the bacon/fry it up in a pan/and never, never, never let you forget you're a man, 'cause I'm a woman! Enjoli!" (If you're old enough to remember the TV commercial, good luck getting that song out of your head, LOL!)

Enjoli is a pretty floral, with notes of green stems and flowers in a vase, on a musky dry-down. Nice, but nothing special. I could only find it in cologne concentration, but it has good staying power for a cologne. Surprisingly, it doesn't smell dated or distinctly of the 1970's, unlike some of the other drugstore classics that are still around, such as Charlie. If you're looking for an inexpensive floral for Spring or Summer, this would be a nice one.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Charles of the Ritz Enjoli fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Charles of the Ritz Enjoli, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Enjoli by Charles of the Ritz. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Enjoli by Charles of the Ritz represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.