Designers » C » Chypre « Groups

Dioressence Christian Dior for women

Dioressence Christian Dior for women
dislike

Dioressence Christian Dior for women Pictures Dioressence Christian Dior for women Pictures

Dioressence by Christian Dior is a Chypre fragrance for women. Dioressence was launched in 1979. The nose behind this fragrance is Guy Robert. Top notes are aldehydes, orange, fruity notes, patchouli, green notes and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, tuberose, cinnamon, violet, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and geranium; base notes are musk, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver and styrax.

Aldehydes Orange Fruity Notes Patchouli Green Notes Bergamot

Carnation Tuberose Cinnamon Violet Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose Geranium

Musk Patchouli Benzoin Vanilla Oakmoss Vetiver Styrax

Les Creations de Monsieur Dior Dioressence
Sikkim (La Collection Fragrances)
Melograno (Pomegranate)
Green Oakmoss

Dioressence Fragrance Reviews

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

The Dior fairy has smiled upon me lately, and I have received vintage samples of several Dior perfumes, including Dioressence, which I've been lusting after for quite some time.

The very first thing I noticed was that the juice itself was a different consistency than I'm used to: it was oily. Most perfumes, regardless of what else is in them, have enough alcohol to make them quite volitile, so that they sparkle for a moment and then are gone, invisible. Not Dioressence. I swept the opening of the little vial across my wrist, spread the juice out with the wand, and waited, but there it remained, gleaming on my skin. As a result, I now have the best smelling mouse pad in the state.

The first day I tried it my allergies must have been raising holy hell, because I thought all the top notes had gone. The next day I must have done a better job with my meds (azelastine hydrochloride is a fickle mistress), because I could smell every glorious minute.

The opening was full of leather and a little citrusy, musky and animalic, so powerful it made my poor beleagured sinuses bulge and my eyes widen. I could smell aldehydes that reminded me forcefully of Miss Dior (I have that in vintage, too, but it hasn't suffered as much in the reformulation process as some of the other Dior scents).

The evolution was both resinous and musky and almost like civet, just a little bit of civet, and some vetiver, and by bedtime-it's an all day perfume-I smelled a strong powder, by no means a fluffy ladylike powder, but an immense, incensy green powerhouse.

Perfumes sometimes seem like a series of ingredients someone has combined, tasty together like a good stir-fry, but with the constituent members retaining all of their own characteristics. A good perfume plays the notes off of each other and combines them into something that is greater than the sum of its parts. A great perfume enables its notes to interact with one another in such a way that, as in good wine, they change one another and change with one another to create something that does not and cannot occur in nature.

Dioressence, in its vintage form, is a great perfume.

Rizaldo
Rizaldo

In Love !!! <3

pusia
pusia

A true masterpiece.
I once read that it associates with the rain in Versailles. I do agree.
Guy Robert was a genius. One of the most sublime scents I've had.

jtd
jtd

I've seen some discussions online among perfumer writers about the merits and pathologies of vintage perfume collecting.    I'm kinda live and let live on this one.  If it feels good do it.   If you accept that well-kept perfumes can last quite a while, then what's the harm in having a little vintage?  I've had pretty good luck, myself.  I found a bottle of Miss Dior eau de toilette from the late 70s, early 1980s on eBay once. For whatever reason, no one bid on it and I bought it for $8. It was in its original packaging, sealed and in perfect condition.  I have a couple of 1960-1970s bottles of Lanvin Arpège that I bought for sentimental reasons.  As to be expected, the top notes are faded, but they are all sensational.

But how far will you go for vintage?  Me, not far.  Of course my consolation prize is all of contemporary perfumery, so I’m not panicking.

But sometimes you can't say no, yes?  I just came across a sealed boxed bottle of Dioressence of indeterminate vintage, but probably late 90s early millennium.  Dioressence the Tease, the Trap.  Known to have made the progression from old school, animalic grande dame to complete rubbish.  To believe the stories, the vintage is the Grail, and the later reformulations weren't worth pissing on.

So what vintage had I found?  Fuck if I know, but it's interesting. It's not the monster that I suspect the original formulation was. But is it trash? No, actually. It’s a powdery, sweaty chypre, that's built for human scale.   The topnotes are definitive grandma perfume * and have that come-hither-yet-stand-offishness that only an old-school powdery perfume can convey.  The powder is the key.  Up top it's prim and upright.  By drydown, it folds into a  muskiness, making a tartness that smells like perspiration.  In the end, it's something like the drydown of Chanel Pour Monsieur sprayed on after a long run.  MMmmm...

*  No jibe here, and no irony.  I just value grandma differently, I suppose.  Grandma, who wore all the 'perfumey' 'powdery'  nose-scrunching perfumes back in the day, knew better than we do.  Credit where it's due.  I applaud grandma.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

Darn it! Great perfume makes me feel glamorous no matter what I'm looking like. I'm wearing the same t-shirt and camouflauge cargo pants I've been working in for the past three days, but I've just spritzed on vintage Dioressence EDT and with the lock of hair that keeps falling over my eye, I feel like some kind of 1950's femme fatale, smelling of dusty, rosey florals and spicy sweetness underlined with a subtle note of skank on this 90 degree + day in Washington, DC. It doesn't get any better than this.

Scentmad
Scentmad

I have just received my bottle of vintage Dioressence. I have some already but I am a greedy collector and wanted a bigger bottle. This is not a perfume I wear very often and smelling it now I have no idea why that is because it's wonderful.

It reminds me in some respects of old Miss Dior which I suppose is unsurprising.

Lovely this is not a juicy perfume it's woody notes, dry and earthy with a terrific oakmossy component, because I love that note so much. This is another classic that is prefectly balanced and completely addictive. It's a classy perfume, well rounded and smooth a silk.

zzMaja
zzMaja

Have not worn this for a long time, but it was and still is one of my favorites. You feel as though you are surrounded in total lushness. I find the woody earthy notes really calming and pleasant. I would say this is a classic and worth purchasing the real thing. No knock-offs please!

momoffive
momoffive

Just bought a bottle from Saks 5th Avenue, Dioressence is exclusively sold by them so if you're buying it anywhere else, it's probably a knock-off or old. Hadn't purchased it for many years, but it still smells just as great as I remember. Wondering if the other reviewers with negative comments are actually buying the knock off or old stock. Buyer beware, you should buy from a department store or who knows what you're getting! I put some on this morning and can still smell the intoxicating,spicy dry down. Got caught by one of my kids smelling my forearm,they think I'm weird. They just don't understand!

maio2012
maio2012

I´m a man, and have always loved this fragrance. It reminds me of classy, confident, well-resolved women. I read that some consider this a possibly unisex fragrance, and decided to make a somewhat risky and weird test: in a hot day, at 3 p.m., I put one spray on my right arm.
Initially fruits and green notes opened the simphony: wow! After 20-30 minutes floral and speciated notes dominated, and it became so predominanttly feminine that I almost washed my skin. But I waited and, after 3-4 hours,the woody and earthy base notes evoluted to a soft, warm and almost (I said almost!) masculine drydown.
I think the impressions if I tested it in a cold day would be very different. I´ll certainly try it in the winter.
A beautifully constructed fragrance, clealy feminine for me. Use it, Ladies, with parcimony and wisdom, and men will, at the same time, love and respect you.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

This is a rich, deep, sage-emerald green. Not chartreuse in the spring time, not a holiday pine green--but a woody, warm green. I can certainly smell the oakmoss, as well as the aldehydes (more strongly at the beginning, fading after a bit) and the vetiver. This is a perfume for the oakmoss-lover, the strong and sophisticated woman who wants a "woody" perfume that isn't oriental. Longevity on me is only about 3 hours.

halalula1234
halalula1234

Amazing deep rich green scent,
Quite suitable as a unisex scent too, I am a 20 year male and I would feel great and confident wearing this exquisite scent, which I am hoping to purchase in the future

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

I have a small decant of vintage EDT. This is beautiful. Trying to describe the way it smells doesn't do justice. It's for the confident, the risk takers, the mona lisa's of today. Wearing it in the fall on a breezy day is like heaven. Green powdery ribbons of spice mingling with the chilly air.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

there are only four ultimate green perfumes

1. Vintage Dioressence Esprit De Parfum
2. Vintage Givenchy III (preferably EDT but pure parfum is fine, too)
3. Vintage Balmain Vent Vert (only have edt version and its perfect floral green)
4. Vintage Ma Griffe (Parfum)

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Let me begin by setting the context, a naughty minx sent me some vintage Esprit de Parfum. Pow! This is NOT what I expected! It opens as if Opium's spices & smoke were grafted onto a thick chypre base! I almost thought it was a different version of Opium until the spices quelled, and the green began to show. I'm getting clove, carnation, orris, oakmoss, geranium, cinnamon, ylang ylang, jasmine, the flowers just now dare to show their presence, after the spices sit down and settle, all the while I keep getting halo whiffs of deep, deep green. Deep, chartreuse forest green that will open up for hours. At this phase the spices, florals, & base balance at a perfect pitch, its the absolute moment of intense sensation. Bitter cold & perfect sunshine, the line between pleasure & pain, the perfectly balanced umami, or the chord sung so beautifully it brings a tear to your eye. Intensity. In the most delicious kind of way. If the reward that follows is as beautiful as the opening & heart I'm in for a short & hot love affair! For surely it will be a rare chance for me to be in the presence of such mastery again. You naughty, naughty girl! (Thank you soo much) this really is a rare treat to try in this format. I think when I try to purchase it it will have to be the esprit de parfum. Anything else will leave me unsatisfied. Until then.. I bid you Adieu my dear..

Update: I just received my Esprit De Parfum! I'm ecstatic! I feel so lucky! Finding this rare liquid gold feels like hitting the lottery!!

Chypre lovers should try this in any form available before its gone forever!

Brindlebear
Brindlebear

I've been wearing Dioressence since 1973 when it was in a small solid turquoise/sky blue bottle. I try to like other frangrances, but keep returning to this one. People always comment on how beautiful it smells. Men especially love it. They still comment on it after 10 hours of wearing.
It's like snuggling into something sensual,soft and magical. Like a soft, mauve angora shawl. Evokes a mixture of confident earth goddess and enticing gypsy dancer.
I'm sure the scent has recently been changed. I still love it, but it's not the same. Please dont ever discontinue it.
It is absolutely unique.

modigliani
modigliani

A chypre charm...
It was not I who choose,
this one choose me.

fanofthomasbernhard
fanofthomasbernhard

Elder sister of Miss Dior Originale

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Another of Guy Robert's works that kidnaps my senses. What an incredible composition. It has most on it of what I enjoy: personallity, complexity, evolution, it is unusual and with a strong character, contains a wonderful array of my favourite flower notes perfectly blended and a sweet spicy earthy end. If you're not for safe scents, if you admire scents to open new olfactory directions in your tastes and you haven't meet this one yet, you should give it a try of course on your skin, it develops poorer on paper. And if you can find a vintage at good price, lucky you, you'll be enchanted by Mr. Robert.

mgiac
mgiac

I agree with Itsatruth. The perfume is not as beautiful as the first few batches. Was very very disappointed with a bottle I was given in I think it was back in 2009. I have been wearing Dioressence since the beginning when I first smelt it on my sister. She has long gone moved on to other scents and although I too have bought other scents DIORESSENCE is still MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE to go to perfume and I will continue to buy new 'releases' in the hope they may get that original formula back. I know .... easier said than done. My partner recently bought me a new bottle (Feb 2013) which I have yet to open. Fingers crossed. I hope they never stop making it!

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

TS Eliot was wrong you know, it’s not always April that is the cruellest month, it is whichever season that brings sorrow with it.

Dioressence is a terribly sad smell, the smell, in fact, of sorrow.

In the vintage formulation a vertical door of heavy as lead oakmoss serves as an opening.

Aldehydes, unspecified green notes and a slight citrus seek to sanitise and lighten this dark accord but do nothing to soothe its awesome presence.

The interior of the fragrance remains determined by this entrance too, and whilst there are floral elements within: geranium most noticeably, rose, carnation and some structural jasmine, the whole effect remains resolutely patchouli , grassy green and solemn.

The spices, resins and hint of musk that seem to come to the fore for a moment in dry down fade to pianissimo much sooner than the principal notes are done with their song.

The overall effect is magisterial and silencingly beautiful.

Others of course will hear the spring chorus singing nature’s melody in the meadows by the way and are in their way are quite right too.

Dioressence is a substantial enough work to allow many readings.

*************

Sorrow does not discriminate between men and women and nor does the springtime, then why should this scent?

Itsdatruth
Itsdatruth

Bought a new bottle of Dioressence (2011) and am terribly disappointed with this weak powdery new version. It has actually lost the 'essence' of the original fragrance which was fantastic and original. To call this Dioressence is a lie. It should be called Dioressence No 2 because it is #$%!

nananessa
nananessa

I found a little vial of this at my favorite 'fume consignment shop EVER (where I used to live in Barnesville, GA). They were always wheeling & dealing in that store from their "bigger fish to fry" business of all sorts of collectibles, antiques & junk. They bought up estate sales & storage units for auction & resold all these things in their shop. On the end of a long counter they always had a big basket catch-all for the various fragrances. I would go in there & always buy up all I could. They sold the little vials for 25 cents sometimes just to get rid of them. I was a very frequent customer & the folks in there just always let me have them, practically giving them away since fragrances were not their "push". And it was in that store that I found my first Guerlain treasures, all sortsof other brands, some foreign, some I have yet to discover the name...and this one little vial of green Dioressence. It was my first Dior ever & I have been searching for an affordable bottle of it ever since.

I have never tried Vent Vert but I immediately fell in love with the green notes, aldehydes & (always my faves) OAKMOSS, PATCHOULI & BENZOIN. Dioressence is incredibly sparkling with it's abundance of greens. I have up to this date thought it to be one of the most beautiful chypres (again my fave) that was ever made.

A true masterpiece so incredibly beautiful, as if the very soul of Mother Nature in all her glory of verdancy is captured into a bottle. A must try for every budding perfumista! Superb sillage & longevity, too. My absolute favorite from the house of Dior.

mjc17601
mjc17601

Does anyone think Dioressence has a similar scent to the discontinued Fendi?

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

From the bottle, it opens with a positively overwhelming patchouli, rose, geranium, and green blast. It has a distinct Lauder signature to it, with the intense balsamic/green/mossy character, quite reminiscent of the much later Aromatics Elixir, its ancestor Youth Dew, and especially a very concentrated oil parfum called "Ultima" (not Ultima 2) by Charles Revson. Since this was originally launched as a bath oil, it is not absurd to consider that it may have been formulated to compete with the magnificently successful Youth Dew(also worn as a perfume), additionally considering that Dior's reputation was all but in the gutter at the time.

The middle notes are a soapy, eugenol-tinged cloud of rose, violet, and ylang-ylang grounded by a very thick patchouli and balsamic base.

The base notes come in as quite a surprise - Castoreum and patchouli create a very sensual aroma quite unlike the rest of the fragrance, enveloping the wearer in the beautiful scent of fur and leather. This is so good texturally. It's more of a single entity in the dry down than a compilation.

I own a bath concentrate from the 60s and an EDT from the 90s and they are the same fragrance. The later versions and the Les Creations version aren't remotely the same thing.

agdimitrova
agdimitrova

Favourite! No comparison with any other!

Zobeide
Zobeide

I tested the current version of Dioressence yesterday. Boo hoo. It smelled like an insipid, watered-down and more powdery version of Miss Dior, which is also but a pale shadow of it's former (80s-90s) self. (And yes, now we're forced to refer to it as MD "originale" - adding insult to injury. Grrrrowl!!!!). Within a mere 2 hours "Dioressence" had faded to something resembling a musk lolly. Where is the "barbare"? The excitement? The challenge? Shame on Dior for faintheartedness!

paleface
paleface

I have to admit humbly: this is one of the best perfumes I have ever met with.

This review is of the middle version, created by Max Gavary in '80:s.

My Dioressence opens soft and charming, full of oakmoss and equally soft spices. Just a moment later I recall something familiar, something like Aromatics Elixir. And after checking I find 13! same notes with it. So no wonder there are similarities... But while AE stays herbal and bitter and independent, Dioressence develops into a real seducer, complex but sympathetic, adorable and slightly sweet - never forgetting its green aspect. A true chypre.

There are moments when I can smell certain dirty notes ("dead rodents") but they are soon gone. Perhaps some people find them intriguing, but I am only happy seeing them disappear so quickly. After that it is pure pleasure: some powdery flowers, woods, musk and styrax.

Y (YSL) and especially Chanel 19 have same kind of soft, mossy qualities, and my vintage Antilope by Weil is also a cousin of this scent. But somehow Dioressence is the perfume that touches my heart and soul like no other chypre - yet.

Longevity is over 12 hours and sillage is really good. What a wonderful perfume this is!

talnyc

Correction: I tried Les Creations de Monsieur Dior Dioressence Dior for women, not the above, which is a different formulation.

talnyc

I tried this scent today at Saks and it is very, very nice. It is a wonderful, sophisticated fragrance. I love it, but it reminds me in the dry down of Tom Ford's Arabian Wood. Although I love Dioressence, I have to say I prefer Arabian Wood.

I still may purchase this fragrance. I wonder if this is what inspired Tom Ford..ha...I must be dreaming because Tom Ford does not need inspiration, right? Mr. Ford would not admit to that.

I think it did heeheehee.

lizzie12
lizzie12

I loved this in the early eighties. I am awaiting delivery of my vintage mini. Can't wait! Rare find on aussie ebay

akats
akats

A spiced oriental chypre! What a combination indeed. Dioresence cannot be compared neither to Diorella, nor to Crystal as it has not that airy or sharp sense, appropriate for Summer wearing. Its quality is based on its sensual warm character, and thus it can be compared to Mitsuko, Y, or chanel 19 edp. I never met the vintage formula. I only know the recent reformulation (not the very latest under the name "the creations of mr Dior"). I loved it two years ago, (as I had tested it many times) and recently at last! decided to buy a 50 ml bottle in the blue box. My dissapointment was to find that the fragrance stayed very shortly with me, leaving me after one hour! Low sillage and lasting power. I can trace it on fabrics after after 3 hours , but... What is wrong and it is so weak? I want a vintage bottle badly, after that, but it is hard to find....

rin_nd
rin_nd

My first hit is of a rich green chypre, not cool but like a warm envelope surrounding me. I get the oakmoss but not a lot of bergamont. After a while it turns into a basalmic and floral note. Seems a bit like an oriental on me during the dry down, taking me a bit away from a mature unisex 'professor' type I wanted from the chypre, to a mature sulty feminine I wasn't expecting. I think I like it! I am not sure if my mini is recent or older, it is not the bottle pictured above but has a band of the swirly pattern near the bottom - close to where the houndstooth pattern is for Diorissimo.

drummagick
drummagick

I have a little mini that dates to 2010 from the batch number on the bottom. I bought it as vintage, but it's during reformulation time.

This starts out bright and green and within a minute turns much darker on my skin and very unisex. A man could wear this, the way it smells on me.

It's a dark green and spicy chypre. Chypre all in caps.

After a few minutes I get a whiff of what smells like diesel or fuel oil. Very bizarre.

This perfume is playing havoc with my chemistry. Or vice versa.

Most definitely diesel fuel now. Wow.

Adrien02
Adrien02

Chanel Cristalle is my Queen of green Chypres; this then has to be the Princess of green Chypres not because it lacks anything. Chanel just suits my chemistry more. A cross between Aliage by Estee Lauder and Chanel Cristalle (the Original version) although Chanel Cristale Au Verte is a more sparklier version of Cristale. Dioressence is the headier elder of all these reminding me of Jolie Madame by Balmain. Almost bordering on matronly if worn with the right chemistry. The sharpness of the green gets fuzzy around the edges but stay decidedly feminine with a tad of woody sweetness.

geekweevil
geekweevil

One thing i firmly believed for a long time - I don't like Chypre.
Then i found myself liking a few of them by accident, now i have to admit a place in my collection for a well crafted and pretty chypre.
I had a teeny bottle of this in the mid 80s, and i found it again recently. Not only does it make me think of A-Ha and Geography exams, but it's such a clean, yummy, crisp scent! I have to be in the right mood to wear it, but when i am, i sniff at my wrists all day.
I was so enthusiastic about it, i got my best friend to try it on -- and on her it smelt like really cheap rubber! Very disconcerting. She also managed to destroy "Joy" and turn that flat and unpleasant, so goodness knows whats going on there!
Isn't body chemistry strange!

Talia
Talia

My mother had it in the late 80-s. in a blue, non-transparent bottle. And it was magic! I had forgotten which Dior it was and finally discovered it in a e-sale and recognized it. Than I run to the first cosmetic shop and ask for Dioressence.
But there was something strange, as they put the same ingredient, as in reformulated O de Lancome, even the same green color, which makes it sound ancient, old fashioned not in a good way. The old one was not granny at all, was modern forever, even sporty in a some way.
Than I had a frightening idea – maybe my skin chemistry changed due to the age? And I caught my 5-years old son to taste it on his skin. The result was delightful for me, but not for the perfume- on his skin still keeping this annoying old note.
I do believe they will reformulated it again and this time for better. Meanwhile I will buy the vintage one.

fanny
fanny

When I was young (we're talking 80's), this perfume struck me like an unknown heaven: I bought a 100 ml bottle on the spot.
Inexperienced as I was in the field of perfume, I could not describe nor understand what had hit my senses, so I had to find out.
Many years this was my second best companion (Opium was number one), until I started to discover more and more perfumes, and Dioressence faded into the background.

This morning I received a small parcel with a Dioressence miniature in it. Perfectly preserved, in a neat original box.

I find myself again a bit at a loss how to describe this refined classic: I rather let it wander around my kitchen, gladly welcoming an old and genuine friend.

Bandit
Bandit

Although I admit, that I was positively surprised by the recent formulation, as it is unique for todays standards in it's own way, it can't compete with the vintage. The new one doesn't have the vibe. It's not only a term, like Miss Dior Dioressence vibrates in my nose. Still, the new one is one-of-a-kind, as it would have never been created, weren't it not for the vintage. Please give it a try.

Though, if you're fallen for vintage and/or chypre, the vintage is a must-try. You need to know this scent. At least go for a decant, I know that prices are ridiculous for a full bottle of vintage. It is veeery potent. Little goes a veeery looong way.

Grottola wrote a good description.

carinas
carinas

I haven't had an honor to try vintage Dioressence, but I believe those who have and swear it's the best chypre ever.
Reformulated Dioressence is lovely. It's very green, it's very mature, by that I mean, it requires somewhat experienced nose to truly appreciate it's beauty.
The word that comes to mind to describe it best - unique!

TankGirl
TankGirl

Very herbal in my skin, also a little bit dusky and powdery. An overall good perfume that for some reason reminds me a little bit of Chanel 19.
Dioressence is very green, earthy and has a tooth paste note that I like.
Still this is not modern enought for me to wear it has Im still in my 20'.
Very womanly, secure, strong and somewhat masculine.
Good perfume just like all Dior's classic.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

I agree with some of the reviewers here: For me too, THE BEST CHYPRE EVER! And then I am of course talking about VINTAGE Dioressence in the orginal blue white bottle (green liquid?). THIS is how I would have liked Mitsouko to smell! But no, even as I can admire Mitsouko, this one , DIORESSENCE has stolen my heart right away. For me there are no "dirty" notes, only earthy, mossy, sweet, dry cinnamon and flowery notes.Wonderful the Geranium in here, thick and bloomey,deep purple patchouli too..finally orris and vanilla ...mouthwatering heavenly Chyprey. I am going to safe for a big vintage bottle if I can find it...:)

Grottola
Grottola

Vintage Dioressence Eau de Toilette

Absolutely fantastic. An oriental chypre of the highest caliber, Dioressence relates to other powdery chypres such as Knowing (Lauder), with a dry, powdery rose note. Dioressence is definitely from another time and place, and would not work for everyone. I'm definitely gonna try it out this winter, because it's a strong chypre that doesn't stop giving, and I love chypres just as much as I love pizza (that means I love them a lot).

Dioressence is one of the best classic chypres ever, and a must try for chypre fans or fans of classic perfumery in general. Hell, I'm an 18 year old heterosexual male, and I love the stuff.

Henriette
Henriette

When it came out it was defined as PARFUM BARBARE and its mosaic box meant to remind of byzantine culture. Yes, it's rich as a mosaic covered with gold tesserae, rich as a byzantine church. And yet it's discreet and not aggressive. I love scents that are never too granted, never one way only and Dioressence is not a one way scent. Of course you must like chypre, spicy a little sweet perfumes to wear and love Dioressence. I think this is one that can't be passed by, it should be tested and meditated, never bought on impulse. Then it becomes one of your best friends.

smellsogood
smellsogood

This is for the vintage edt version in the ribbed glass bottles. Soft, warm, smooth and elegantly spiced. This somehow makes me think of mink coats and cigarettes in long holders. I love it, don't wear it that often but couldn't be without it.

Kterhark
Kterhark

(late 90's version review)
Remember a time when you were watching the opening trailers before your movie started, and one came on that was just amazing? A trailer so awesome that the crowd started clapping and everyone whispered, "I want to see that!"

This is Dioressence. For my preferences there cannot be a better opening. It's full frontal bergamot, risky citrus, and bedroom patchouli. More please.

As the middle phase entered I realized this is no EDT. Four hours into it and I am still smelling suggestive behavior, loud and proud.

I do think the dry down gets muddled and moldy, but I"m not sure if thats due to quality of ingredients or how things come together. It never turned into a scrubber on me, but did get sweeter on my chemistry, with much less Patchouli and too much styrax.

If you haven't tried Dioressence yet, you should. This is a show that should not be missed!

ekati
ekati

Dioressence is strong,green but also very sexy.
Is Yan Tiersen-La vals d' Amelie.Is a beautiful royal garden after rain.Is classic and feminine.I love it and must purchase a bottle soon!!

poison

Oh Dioressence how much I love and how much I hate you sometimes! I don’t know what have you done to my heart…It is so weird cause today I simply find it the most original scent ever and in few hours I consider it strange and unpleasant. I have a bottle of the “good” Dioressence before they reformulated it. The opening is so dusty and dirty that reminds me of my attic and my basement in the same time.
It is earthy and humid… The main notes that obsess me all day long while wearing it are the patchouli, the geranium, the benzoin, the cinnamon, the dry roses and the styrax.
Every time I open the door from my basement a soapy, powdery and dusty Dioressence smell punches me in the face and invades my lungs. My basement that brings me so many memories from my childhood where I used to hide so many times.
It is a cold perfume with an Orthodox church smell where they burn all day long incense and styrax.
As those around me know it very well, I love heavy fragrances like Dioressence. It is the most classic perfume from all the perfumes in the world. It is hard living with Dioressence but even harder living without it.

Even though usually people considers the reformulations worse than the originals or pale shadows of what the original smell was, I have to admit that the reformulated one it is wonderful.
I think that both mister Guy Robert and mister Francois Demachy done a great job with this one. The second version it is more bearable and has the same strange beauty as the first one.
I make a strange couple with Dioressence, and sometimes just like a wife, it drives me crazy but I am so conscious that I just couldn’t live without her!
My all time favourite fragrance and the best Chypre ever!

This masterpiece has A LOT in common with Leonard Tamango and Yves Rocher Diamella. I love them all, but they are all very dominant perfumes I must say, the typical Oriental spicy ALL THE WAY!

dgtlsrcrss
dgtlsrcrss

Sigh...
When I first put Dioressence on I was entranced; after an hour I was making plans to buy a bottle.
But after 2 hours I started to ask "what is that horrible smell?"
So my overall review (a tale of caution):
This is such a beautiful classy scent, but the drydown is very patchouli-rich! If you do not like patchouli, you will probably not like this scent at all.

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

This perfume has a hidden message that states;' I am not your usual common fragrance. I have class, mystery, and sexiness. I will capture you and possibly allure others around you'. A fragrance that I have always loved and respected.

Dioressence is green, powdery love. I'm a young woman and I really like this fragrance.

The opening is quite strong and chemical in a sense. Dioressence establishes the earthy greeness in the top notes, which is then followed by intense aldehydes and delicate fruits.

The heart makes way for the introduction of beautiful floral accords, mostly white florals, and sweet yet spicy cinnamon. The combination is almost heavenly.

I curse those that call Dioressence 'old lady'. I've never heard such nonsense in all my life. This may be the most recent re-formulated version, however I don't find this fragrance unpleasant in the slightest. The original may have been better, but the most current version still has avid fans.

The drydown is deliciously soft and somewhat sweet. Vanilla is the highlight here, with the patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and musk creating an atmosphere behind it all.

The lasting power is wonderfully good, however the sillage is quite soft. I like this aspect, as it makes Dioressence quite mysterious. I often wonder why Dioressence is one of Dior's most overlooked fragrances. It's a pity that releases like the Poison series and Miss Dior Cherie tend to shadow some of Dior's earlier masterpieces.

nova6
nova6

I wore this twenty something years ago. many compliments....they were selling the testers for around five bucks in those days...i was never a perfume wearer then. i think this was what got me hooked...

This goes onto my skin as a powdery, musty medicated horror, but quickly dries down to a spice and resin combination that is soft and lovely. It has a powdery amber base that dates it a little, but also adds comforting velvety warmth.

RRCOOLMAMA2
RRCOOLMAMA2

This is the fragrance that my mom used to wear that triggered my love for fragrances. The best Chypre ever.

I have no doubt that the dark, dry dusty roses and styrax would drive many young perfumistas away from DIORESSENCE screaming "old lady" and relaying anecdotes from their grandmother's retirement home. But patience pays off in this case, as the big dusty attic opening evolves eventually into a very modern smelling slightly sweet patchouli drydown.

The initial aldehydes and citrus do not stand a real chance against their dark competitors, nor do they limn a sunlit path through the passages of this labyrinthine perfume filled with dried floral notes floating in resins. To my nose, this chypre, unlike MISS DIOR, veers much closer to the oriental than the floral aldehyde category.

DIORESSENCE opens as a fairly serious, dark and heavy affair with a somewhat overwhelming sillage. This is definitely not the sort of fragrance you want to reapply during the day--at least not if anyone else is around! Still, I find the complexity of this creation appealing and especially appreciate the surprising patchouli drydown, which has excellent staying power in the edt.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Well, for a start I have smelled the reformulated fragrance which bears no resemblance to the picture. The scent itself is not totally unpleasant in that I can imagine whiat it used to smell like, when it was good. I don't personally like it- it's extremely old fashioned like the bottom of an old ladies handbag (and I love old fashioned scents). This has a spinsterish quality to it which is just plain unnattractive. The best bit was the residual smell after I scrubbed it off with an abrasive washing up sponge, which was rather nice.

poison

Dioressence is a masterpiece! Like it was described in the commercial, Dioressence is Exuberant, Smouldering, Uninhibited...Is not a scent for everybody, but for sophisticated, strong, beautiful women or men...Rare scent like nowadays we can hardly find. Is very sad that the tastes for aldehidic chypre fragrances have changed. Now we are suffocated by "modern" scents that are very common and average. Every time I use Dioressence I feel so happy and so unique! I love it!

poison

I'm in love with Chypre aldehydic fragrances! This one makes me crazy, it really is an animalistic scent...being 22 years old I don't know how Dioressence used to smell now almost 41 years ago when it was created; I read some reviews on the internet and from what I saw, people seems to be a little disappointed by the remakes...I can notice the diferences between the last editions of Dioressence,there is the edition of Dioressence with the bottle with letters writen directly on the glass, the edition with the bottle that has an etiquette with the name and the last bottle, the remake..there are few small diferences between them all that only someone who really has a good nose can notice. I think that the best version is the one with the bottle that has the name writen directly on the glass, and the liquid is very green.
Very long lasting and hard to find...
so unique!

Polymath
Polymath

I first smelled this on the lady sitting next to me on an airplane. I just had to ask her the name of the perfume, and got some as soon as I could. Love it.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Can anyone in these more modern times dare to wear Dioressence? The late 70s into the 80s was a clash of the old, run over by the new (wave). The hippies were getting older, and perhaps wiser if they haven't fried their brains into jello, and the teens were getting bolder and ached to buck the system and were anti-establishment.

When I smelled Dioressence EdT for the first time in the mid-80s, I couldn't help remember how crisp and green it smelled. If anything it was awfully mannish. It seemed to symbolize womens' lib, and that women too can wear mannish colognes to fit their roles in the modern world where they worked and made names for themselves.

I was blessed to find a bottle of the parfum. It is much warmer than the EdT with its more pronounced floral and powdery notes that soared above its more powdery notes, all atop a warm chypre base.

Alas, I think it might be dated, and needs a bit of reworking. Perhaps incorporate more of its feminine nuances into the composition. In this day and age, there is nothing wrong about being a woman and being a best one at that.

Leesee
Leesee

Dioressence sparkles from the outset with a blast of citrus followed by a spicy and sumptuous floral bouquet. Best of all, just when you think the scent has said all it can possibly say, Dioressence slides effortlessly into a musky, mossy, velvety drydown. A ladylike classic that manages to both surprise and soothe.

caribou55313
caribou55313

My favorite in the oriental chypre category, so beautifully balanced. Womanly -sexy like Femme de Rochas.

2007
jeca
jeca

I love this oriental chypre, its sharpness and green notes at the very beginning and its fine floral noble notes which appear later.

2007

Dioressence by Christian Dior 4.17 out of 5 based on 328 ratings and 63 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Christian Dior Dioressence fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Christian Dior Dioressence, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Dioressence by Christian Dior. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Dioressence by Christian Dior represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.