Designers » C » Oriental Fougere « Groups

dislike

coffee
herbal
Eau Noire Christian Dior for women and men Pictures

Eau Noire is one of the three perfumes from unisex collection, introduced in 2004. All three bottles (Bois D`argent, Eau Noire and Cologne Blanche), were designed by Hedi Slimane, who was in charged for Dior’s prestige Pour Homme pret-a-porter collection. Francis Kurkdjian is the creator of this fragrance. Grassy – spiced sage note and pleasant and fresh anis open the composition. The heart follows with lavender, Virginian cedar and coffee, and the base is warm and powdery soft with leather, vanilla and violet. It is created as cologne available in 125, 250 and 500 ml bottles.

Thyme

Lavender Virginia Cedar Coffee

Leather Violet Vanilla Licorice

Sunshine Men

Eau Noire Fragrance Reviews

kcurtin90
kcurtin90

Sadly this is discontinued. I am not a HUGE fan of how people react to this BUT the combination of notes is very pleasant and intriguing to me. This scent has a very strong licorice smell to me. It dries down to a smooth lavender and vanilla mixed cloud. Certainly a unique combo that I enjoyed......after the licorice part of course.

Luckily I have a decant of this to wear to be unique because I know nobody else will be wearing this.

pomak
pomak

Yes, it's a kind of smell. It's definitely not a perfume

romanygerges
romanygerges

Wow, Magic, Dark, Elegant, Cozy, bittersweet, a bit gloomy, and the list can go on an on.
There is nothing like this fragrance. Nothing that you can compare it to.
nothing.
Masterpiece.

amirali0072000
amirali0072000

Dior eau noire
Green,bitter and a little sharp opening.Almost confusing for a few seconds but quickly unfolds to an aromatic lavender and dark bitter leather.Then some sweetness arrives.Must be coffee beans or licorice and vanilla.
Dry down is a very balanced well mixed classy and rich perfume.
A must try..lasting and sillage are really nice.
سمپل ارجینال جهت تست موجود است

Mando
Mando

I had it when it 1st came out in 2005. I sold it and now I regret it. I know this is a love or hate it scent. I did make me think of curry initially. But honestly, it's a beautiful aromatic spicy lavender scent. This scent along with Sables A. Goutal really sold me on the note of Immortelle.

puresmell
puresmell

I blindbought this from the French Dior website and I got it today. I was a bit worried about the immortelle but it was sticking out just a bit in the opening. It smells very much like I expected from reviews I had read and it is a really beautiful fragrance. Looking forward to more wearings of Eau Noire.

Nessers
Nessers

For those of you who are saying that there are curry dish triggers in this composition, I agree to disagree. of course there is that sweet cumin but there's no overpowering about to have you instinctively think I was some sort of food dish . if you are suggesting that, then you are linear in your thinking.

There is a nostalgia though. A comforting sweet melody. Maybe the coffee and vanilla.

MFK can do no wrong in my opinion.

Corpsefire
Corpsefire

This is a tough one...

I'll start with a little disclaimer:

I DID start looking for it when I knew it was discontinued and when I found out it was Kurkdjian's creation so I'm late for the party and I do not know how it smelled like when it was first released (in case it was subject to reformulation).

It's a perfume dominated mainly (to my nose) with the note of licorice , this dry, slightly herbaceous, remotely sweet scent.

Is there a cumin note? Yes.
Would you smell like a curry dish a-la Amouage-Fate man? NO.

The cumin note just rounds up the harsh licorice note, it adds warmth to the coldness of the licorice/lavender combo.

The coffee note is there somewhere in between , adding another layer of dryness to the scent, it's the smell of freshly ground coffee beans not the scent of a cup of coffee, it's organic.

Overall this scent is simple and sophisticated at the same time: simple in its structure yet complex in its olfactory result.

Sillage is moderate and longevity is high, I still smell it on my arms after 6-7 hours.

Is this a crowd pleaser? No (thankfully my partner loved it)
Is it a gourmand? Sort of, yes.

Do I regret the blind purchase of a 250 mls? HELL NO.

It is uniquely made gourmand that is not easy to appreciate for the aquatic scents crowd or the super florals crowd (no disrespect meant, I love A LOT of the latter olfactory group).

It would be a shame not to try it at least once to get a taste of a sadly discontinued masterpiece.

On a side note: this juice's colour is divine. Its green is mesmerizing a la Absinthe.

Meeru99
Meeru99

Was really looking forward to trying this but it's too akin to dabbing a vegetable samosa over yourself. Just can't get beyond the curry note.

dzingunyte
dzingunyte

just tried this one a moment ago. so it brought me imediatelly to my childhood. where my grandma was baking hot buns :D all the spices (cinamon,cardamon and so on) some peppery smell at the begining too. all in all its nice,warm,spicy frag. so far can't say anything else :)

freewheelingvagabond
freewheelingvagabond

A wonderful perfume where familiar notes and accords are harmoniously assimilated in an unfamiliar composition.

The opening is thyme and lavender, intensified by coffee and spices to create a dense structure. It smells at once green, vegetal, aromatic and gourmand. There is a very prominent immortelle note that renders sweetness to the composition. The composition never waivers much from this satisfying central accord.

While there are some minute structural similarities with Caron Pour un Homme, this is much deeper and darker. Having significant tenacity on skin, it also has a good sillage and shrouds the wearer in a hazy, fragrant cloud for long hours.

There is an unmistakable academic quality about Eau Noire. With its spices, lavender, coffee and immortelle, it is at once heady and elegant. Intense, deep, satisfying and addictive, Eau Noire is one of the best Dior Privee creations that is unfortunately very difficult to find outside of France.

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - lavender, licorice & leather.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 8hrs consistently.

landshark321
landshark321

One of the more lauded (and now discontinued) fragrances in the Christian Dior Privee line, Eau Noire is a dark, spicy entry that reminds me mainly of spiced gingerbread cookies. It strikes me as a distinctly cold weather scent, as I imagine this could be off-putting in the summer.

The licorice factors in strongly for me, which is why although unique, Eau Noire is a little off-putting. Despite the licorice, a pleasant combination of sage, cedar, and coffee compromise the rest of the experience for me. All in, a very nice winter fragrance that reminds me of the holidays. Also, the juice is strong, with robust projection and good longevity for a higher-end EDP.

Unlike Mitzah, I highly doubt it is worth the discontinued costs, but I'd be curious to sample it some more.

7 out of 10

Veedabestchef
Veedabestchef

Dior eau noire: When i heard about this fragrance i wanted to try it out. So i bought me a 10ml decant from seller on fragrance community on FB. My first impression green, herbal, dark, mysterious scent. Its almost like some kind of medicine smell for healing sore aching muscles. Kinda reminds me of some kind of herbal tea from asia. This is not a sexy type of fragrance more like love and hate. Not for everyone.I can definitely smell the licorice in this fragrance a long with some green herbal smell i think its coming from thyme. I dont detect any coffee or vanilla. Licorice and thyme dominant the rest of the ingredients. Cant think of any occasion or formal event to wear this fragrance only winter season. Its not a bad fragrance from Dior but more like mysterious fragrance from dior line.But im glad i have a decant in my collection. Dior makes great fragrance and looking to try all their fragrances line.This is definitely a try and not for younger crowd. Tested on my skin it performs well and projection is pretty good.

amer1212
amer1212

"Eau Noire"

Its an aromatic spicy dark , little sweet mystreios scent very complex and unique !

its opens with blast of lavender and thyme then developes into deep dark herbaly green liquorice quite sweet earthy spicy gentle scent, with a musky flowery nuances , it impressed me how its well balanced , strange and different from the others .

Otherwise Iam not that fun of dior house but I appreciate that master work from Mr . Francis kurkdjian bravo !

I see it in Dior boutique and on the official site and dont know if it discontinued ?! I dont think so .

Ps: its not for every one , and try before buy !

Mysterious uniqueness
9/10 .

reborn
reborn

i bought it blind and regret it.Too much barber lavender,not feminine at all.

nigelreid77
nigelreid77

This is an unusual and exquisite scent although I wouldn't wear it personally. However when I smell this on, every time, I get this really odd image in my mind - of two black keys of a piano being played discordantly together. I think it's the coffee and lavender hitting each other..

Calvini
Calvini

WOW looking at the green juice and the predominately lavender voting, I did not expect such a spicy (in an herbal way) blow! I don't normally care for lavender but it's very complimentory here, since it quickly dries down into a surprisingly sweet yet mature scent

Cochlea
Cochlea

(Current profile name Anais Nin)
Love at first sniff!!!

The opening is lavender with very herbaceous facets from the thyme. The lavender lingers as the licorice joins the scent. The licorice is strong but not overpowering the lavender on my skin. The scent is gradually becoming darker but still retaining its herbal aspects as the coffee joins in, it is thick, dark and bitter. The bitterness of the coffee enhances the scent of the dry lavender. The coffee is lovely.
I think it is the mixture of coffee, lavender, licorice that creates the syrupy immortale note on my skin, I detect this unbelievably sexy warm, dirty pungent curry note. I catch gentle hints of vanilla. The drydown is a powdery immortale-licorice accord.

Eau Noire was created by Francis Kurkdjian, so naturally this creation is gorgeous and elegant, and the way the scent develops is very complex, yet smooth and carefully thought-out.

It has very good sillage and great longevity.

I was looking at the pyramid notes and figured that I wouldn't like Eau Noire. Boy, was I wrong! This is an unusual fragrance that belongs in my collection!

Why is this beauty discontinued?

Can anyone share some of their Eau Noire with me? Please?

josevancouver
josevancouver

Sometimes when fragrances get discontinued, there is a reason why. The spiced sage and thyme note reminds me of a spicy, earthy food...which I don't want to smell like. I like/own many of the Dior Prive fragrances (Bois D'Argent, Ambre Nuit, Feve Delicieuse) but this one...nope.

Good thing I only bought a 10 ML sample. This is definitely not a blind-buy.

Bbjr
Bbjr

Somewhat reminiscent of Casual Friday. Definitely get the licorice accord right off the bat but the coffee and lavendar are right there as well and it all blends together to form a fantastic fragrance that stays with you all day. Get this while you can, it's going away. One of the all time best from Dior.

Insensé
Insensé

Neither an "eau" nor "noire".
In fact, this is not just a cologne. And the concept of noir is a puzzling one, after so different takes by many perfumers (TF Noir de Noir: rose oud; Bvlgari Black: leathery black tea...which noir will be mine? Probably not one with the name on it).
This has an enormous longevity and suits me much better in a winter cold day. Why? Because of its warmness and full character, given by the immortelle.
Actually that note is one of my preferred, and as in AG Sables or more subtly in HdP 1740, immortelle plays the main role here.
Francis Kurkdjian made a twist with lavender, and it became a bonbon. Eat one, two would get you sick.
My immortelle remains 1740, the most masculine of the three, more leathery. But the sweetness of this one is very comforting also. I’ll wear 1740 when I feel a bad boy, and Eau Noire or Sables when I am a good boy (not so often, I know!)

stylenurse
stylenurse

I own this and it is one of my favorite coffee scents. It starts with a blast of herbal lavender and thyme. Mixed in is syrupy immortelle and coffee. I love flavored teas and coffees. For me this is like going into a funky café and they tell you they have a new sweet lavender and maple flavored latte you should try. You don't think it's going to work but it actually tastes amazing. Also, the person you're with is sipping on a spicy herbal tea. It is a very comforting scent. Only for fall and winter. This perfume is a sillage monster and you can suffocate people in an elevator. It lasts a very long time. Sadly it has been discontinued. The Dior store in Las Vegas still had the smaller bottle available last month if someone out there is still interested in this fume.

Escoteric
Escoteric

I have it, and wish I didn't. It reminds me af a Aatar my mother has kept with her since her days in the East. Its horrid! Green liquid, I think if an Extra Terrestrial life came to earth it may be a good deterrent into tham staying.

DerangedGoose
DerangedGoose

Herbal pancakes. Literally syrup with thyme, lavender, and cedar. An interesting idea, but not my thing and very feminine.

geoffrey.kalender
geoffrey.kalender

Just got a bottle of the pure perfume at the boutique, a one of kind find. Kurkdjian is a genius. Intriguing richness gives way to subtly balanced perfect dry-down. Try to find this one before it is gone forever.

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Bence bu bir parfüm degil. Bu bir Çin Lokantasinda taze kahve ögütüldügûnde oluşacak kokudur. Daha once Dolce Gabbana Velvet Patchouli için çok olumsuz bir yorum yazmiştim. Ancak bunu denedigim zaman ona haksizlik yaptigimi gördüm. Sayisiz parfüm denedim, aldım, kullaniyorum ve bu açık ara en kötüsü. Böyle bir kokuyu kim parfüm diye kullanır bilmiyorum. Tek kelime ile "berbat"...

Sanjar
Sanjar

Received word today from Dior this is now officially discontinued , stock up while you can , this is a gothic masterpiece that will be the envy of any great perfume collection.

nexangelus
nexangelus

I forgot why I ordered this one. Have been madly trying out scents from notes I enjoy on their own. Searching for "my" fragrance.

Tiny smidgen on wrists and crook of elbow...delicious! Coffee and liquorice after a strong cedar blast. I was wary of the lavender notes as I don't really like it on its own, but in this I get coffee, woody, loveliness. I love this one! It seems to smell totally different on my male partner (more cedar and leather than soft coffee and lipsmacking liquorice), but still in a good way. Do masculine scents smell more feminine on women? Or is it a trick of perception?

Lana148
Lana148

I smell lavender end coffee the most. With Lavender being the dominant note in this fragrance. Although coffee is present this doesn't smell as a typical, sweet gourmand. Overall: an excellent lavender fragrance, soft aromatic and gentle. Very well done! Love it!

genvy
genvy

Over 40 or 50? 26 years old here, love it. Many talk of immortelle in this but I get none. Compare to something like Sables or 1740. I think it's easy to confuse the lavendar+coffee accord as being reminiscent of immortelle.

On my skin, the liquorice note blooms magnificently with lavendar and coffee bringing up the rear. I can't smell much vanilla personally, but the thyme and cedarwood provide a buzzy, almost salty counterpoint to what would otherwise be a plainly sticky sweet perfume. It's wonderful, and likely a scent that people with more quiet personalities may have a hard time finding the appropriate mood for.

Q80
Q80

i've asked the seller about the genre of people who buys this perfume & from his reply i've realized that only people who are over 40 or 50 and prestigious that buys this fragrance. the kind of women or men who has that powerful personality, and a hint of attention seeking. the kind of people who loves that when they passby some place other people would define that they were here because of the signature fragrance they always wore. it is definitely a huge bizarre essence as it contains some (i can barely define it as skunk) an animalic note that i guess the Thyme and too much Lavender created that with a tiny bit of something green and i would go for moss or algae. those three are combined together to give a very drawback top note IFF (if and only if) you have thought of it as a perfume without taking into consideration the powerful element that it was created for and the kind of personalities that uses this fragrance, so be a little bold and give it another chance or maybe a 3rd chance ;)

now i can't explain it according to my skin because my skin chemistry has a unique type, not all fragrance gives good essence on my skin. this perfume specially when it dries down (right after 20 minutes) gives me a weird essence. an old forest that has been on fire for hours and no one could extinguish it. and after 3 to 4 hours the fire almost ate all the woods and the remains are quite wet from the water that has been used to extinguish it. now this is what i have smelled on my skin and honestly Adoration by Boadicea the Victorious perfume came on my mind at once. after all it is challenging and not acceptable from the first sniff, but give more time.

Scentmad
Scentmad

I bought this when it was released. I wore it a couple of times - love masculine fragrances and I love spice so it seemed like a no-brainer that I would love this, sadly - just didn't work with my chemistry so I had to rehome it. Shame really, it just turned into curried coffee on me - very bitter notes that just gave me a headache. I am still not over the disappointment..... it SHOULD have suited me! LOL.

spirit966
spirit966

Unique, masculine, complex, fresh and warm at the same time, but not my cup of tea.

Opens with a very soapy fern and lavender note with spices such as thyme and sage. Thyme should be a sweet note (check MFK's own line of Pour le Matin) but this one has a heavy hand which makes it earthy. If anyone ever put too much dried thyme in their stews, you'll know what I am talking about... Sage gives it a anisey tinge to the smell.
The licorice note is VERY prominent and along with the sage makes this fragrance even more sour and anisey. Herb de Provence with winter spices like star anise, fennel, sage!

I don't like this combo because it reminds me of cough medicine and/or disinfectant, or chlorine in the swimming pool; no such note here, but does give me this feeling.

The coffee note peeks through around the 30 minute mark and this smells like dark coffee beans with no dairy; unlike the typical gourmands. Unfortunately the sour notes at the top makes this coffee smelt burnt, rather than enveloping. If only the top was less sour and herbal...

Immortelle is here also,and gives a hint of body to the scent and towards the 1 hour mark this and the coffee and some woods creates an enveloping scent which is actually quite good. I get a hint of coriander or tumeric here too; perhaps the infamous curry note? Its not as pronounced as what most make it out to be though I think it complements the coffee note just fine..

This is one of the best coffee notes I have ever smelt so far, but the sour top really spoils it for me...

I understand that the spices are here for the "Noire" in this fragrance, but I would have preferred more woods and coffee and immortelle, and tone down on the anisey, licorice notes.

Perhaps a lavender, clove and bergamot opening, with similar mid and basenotes?

Could be an all year fragrance.. Probably best for fall I would say
Thumbs down for me, but thumbs up for complexity. So net-net, a neutral.

Btw, is this an EDC or an EDP?

nero77
nero77

Everlasting Lavender...

So the name of Eau Noire relates to the Château de La Colle Noire, located in Provence in southern France, where Christian Dior spent his holidays in retirement. To put that in context, it makes use of a lot of Provençal (i.e. Mediterranean notes), namely Sage, Thyme, Lavender, Immortelle and Liqorice. Also, I read that the head of design at Dior, Hedi Slimane, wanted something that he would wear based on his lifelong signature scent, which was Pour un Homme de Caron, with it's Lavender-Vanilla combination; and what better man to do it than Francis Kurkdjian, the man who created the world famous Lavender and Vanilla bomb, "Le Male"?

Right out of the bottle I get a really aromatic thyme note (listed by Dior as 'white Spanish thyme'). Thyme as a herb can be sharp and is unmistakable, I also detect sage, which adds to the herbal build-up. The thyme, sage and lavender all play on the dry herbal aspects of one another to give Eau Noire a definite herbal quality. I would describe this fragrance as a "herbal gourmand" or "aromatic gourmand", purely because of the aromatic coffee-vanilla and herbal lavender pairing. I happen to love the smell of lavender, and the lavender here smells very much like the almost-dry lavender picked off the bush in hot summer. The herbs are then paired with a deep-roasted coffee bean note, with the leather and liquorice simmering underneath.

With regards to the infamous "curry note". I wonder if the mention of Immortelle or 'everlasting flower' is not just a trick of the mind? As it could also be the liquorice/thyme combination or the burnt vanilla-coffee mixing with the herbs and leather? On the Dior website Immortelle isn't listed in the notes. However, if the flower IS in the fragrance (and many people swear it is), it most certainly forms its backbone, the very thread which holds it together, and in this sense it completes a very Mediterranean vibe when paired with the herbal qualities of the sage, thyme and lavender.

Overall, Eau Noire may be a love or hate fragrance. It is undeniably well made and well composed, of that there is no doubt. It smells extremely natural, very much like sitting on a Mediterranean hillside in the South of France in hot summer whilst sipping an authentic espresso. It's gourmand, it's definitely interesting, and whilst it's not for everyone, and it's certainly not bad. I for one find it really unique, and not something that I come across very often in fragrances.

Guest_yvashche
Guest_yvashche

Its hard to find a good coffee perfume, but this spicy dark creation hits the spot. The coffee really lasts and the opening green notes create a pleasant combination.

jlfears
jlfears

Be patient with this review.

I drink a lot of strong, rich coffee. My clothes always have a little "sweated out" coffee smell, especially in warm weather, and especially, say, in the armpits of fitted sweaters.

I also eat a *lot* of vegetarian Indian food ~ very spicy, at that. This also comes out in my sweat, mostly in my armpits.

I eat lots of ginger, garlic, turmeric, and cardamom.

So, already, I have pheromone-musk-BO mixed with expensive coffee and spicy Indian food in my sweaters. And other spices galore.

Eau Noire on my bare, unscented skin smells *exactly* like my warm clothes when I've been drinking good coffee and eating rich, spicy, veggie Indian nom noms.

I can't think of any better way to explain the complexities of this scent other than to say that ~ to me, on me ~ it's body odor (in a good, raunchy way), coffee, Indian food... and sometimes, just a hint of Bond no9 Chinatown...

Verdict: LOVE.

NOT for everyone.

Different on everyone.

hedward
hedward

Wow.. this one odd fragrance. This is one of those fragrances that really puzzles you from the very first spray.

Eau Noire opens up VERY green and herbal - fennel and cow parsley to be precise. I wouldn't say it was pleasant but it was very powerful and had an emotional quality to it - reminded me of my early childhood. Then boom all of a sudden the fennel hid and a very interesting curry note appeared paired with the typical Dior's vanilla.

The curry was there just for a few minutes until boom again it was gone and a strong violet had replaced it. This is the point where Eau Noire becomes linear - and very similar to the drydown of L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain. When I close my eyes while smelling Eau Noire it really gives me a strong image. I see an elegant lady wearing the "new look" and drinking coffee in the 50's Paris. She reaches for her suede bag and pulls out a small bottle of L'Heure Bleue from which she dabs the parfum extrait to her long majestic neck.

Stunning!! Sweet, powdery, opulent and refined!

Okay lets talk about Eau Noire shall we?

ANECDOTE ALERT!!!!
(I'll keep it brief I promise;)

So I'm at the Dior counter and I've got my heart set on buying Ambre Nuit (after trying most of the range extensively) and then Eau Noire goes and throws a spanner in the works. I got Ambre nuit in the end but this gave me a banquet of food for thought. The lady on the Dior counter told me that "I'd never guess what notes were in this fragrance!" I didn't relish being put on the spot either after sniffing out lots of things previously my nose felt a little burned out!
Anyway... regardless she sprayed it on a card and wafted it around for a half a minute or so still claiming "You won't get what it is." she also told me how this particular scent had been revered and highly acclaimed in the fragrance world as a masterpiece. I was thinking... well let me smell it then!!! Haha
Even before she did and three feet away from me, I could smell it and instantly I exclaimed..."Coffee!!! It's coffee isn't it?" To which she replied No! I'm glad to see it listed in the notes on here and I feel somewhat vindicated! However, when quizzed I couldn't really tell what was going on with this fragrance, it's very odd I got cedar too, slightly herby and a dark creamy thing...all of which she said No to. (But are included on here and in Dior's own bumf!)
As soon as she gave me clues like "It's the same colour as your shirt..." (Purple)
AH HA....Lavender and as soon as she said it became so clear and strong which reminded me slightly of L'occatan EDT.
Took me a while to get the licorice but as it settled down the notes balance out perfectly and become clearer.
So do I like this fragrance?
Yes I have to say I love it such a strange combo of prominent Lavender, Licorice and coffee with the herbiness of thyme and a sappiness of cedar. I'm totally sold on this fragrance it's great!
Lasts well on my skin too as I've tried it a few times now.
Luckily she gave me 15ml(I must be a charmer) worth of samples of this one alone so as soon as I get it in an atomizer... I will wear it properly.
To cap it all I discover that this fragrance is by one of my favourite perfumers Francis Kurkdjian...and frankly I shouldn't have been surprised.
Hats of to Dior yet again...I will definitely be adding this superb green juice to my collection at some point in the future.

Michael1962
Michael1962

For mine Eau Noire behaves like the dysfunctional sibling in the Diors Privee Collection household.
Not sure of where it sits in the grand scheme of things.
It starts with an Irish Moss cough syrup vibe thanks to the thyme as a topnote so I can relate to other comments about a medicinal olfactory experience.
I smell a green herbal opening with a licorice twist which is all a bit too screechy and forced.
The coffee midnote,which I notice here but not in Dior Vetiver, arrives to calm it down and mellow it out a tad and the cloying vanilla rounds it out during the drydown.
Whilst there is real quality there with the ingredients I feel Dior has dropped the ball on this one.It disappoints me to say so as Dior is one of my favourite perfumers.
Definitely an acquired taste and maybe better suited to the cooler months as I can imagine it would be quite overpowering in warmer weather.

SuperUltraFabulous
SuperUltraFabulous

I usually dislike licorice accords. But I love this! Very warm, comforting. Perfect for fall or winter. There is floral in the background that I find that perfectly balances the warmer accords.

Funny, I do smell the over-done pancakes accord. I like it though.

So, is this full bottle worthy? This is a peculiar composition, if not polarizing, and needs to be tried first.

ateghipc
ateghipc

Smells like soup to me. Really wanted to like this one, but couldn't.

houstcs
houstcs

Have a tiny sample of this, anyone who doesn't like it let me know. This is of perfection, bliss, and euphoric. It's like spilling the highest quality coffee all over you, after added sweetener and caramel cream

toffelin
toffelin

The first thing I felt when I sprayed it on my wrist was a strong, heavy scent of leather, violet and licorice spreding in the entire room. After a while it settled down a bit and then I started to sense more of the notes. Now I'm sensing a lot of licorice and violet and a little bit of vanilla, leather, lavender and coffee. The scent have become softer and it absolutely is a perfume that I'm going to use until my 1,5 ml sample is empty, but I'm not going to pay a lot of money for a full sized bottle. Maybe I'll buy another sample when this one is empty, because it really is a nice perfume. I'll give it 7/10 Points.

Muzoona
Muzoona

its very herbal.. its remind me medicines with fresh herbs.. very odd, not for women at all.

Gileshowe
Gileshowe

I imagine this would smell quite different and indeed much nicer on a lady, but on a chap, or perhaps just on me, it smells disparate; like incompatible facets are vying with each other so at the same time it smells both sharp and smooth, meaty and floral, culinary and sickly. It doesn't seem to gel and with itself and makes me as a wearer feel rather unsettled, so I wouldn't say I'm especially keen on this but it was aptly described here as polytonal and if that effect appeals to you then you might like its surprising juxtapositions but it isn't an easy wear as such and may leave you and those around you ill at ease.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

Just like not every mind can handle and fully appreciate a Picasso or Dali painting, the same thing happens to noses when they meet Dior's EN. This is a Picasso/Dali equivalent fragrance. Not all noses and processing brains will appreciate this masterful work of art.

EN is an olfactory maze of ying-yang scents. It is warm and cold, sweet/spicy and woody/leathery, bright and obscure, simple and complex. Indeed, its name says it all: black water. You don't know what you might get or what to make of it when you wade in it. The key here is to relax and take it in. Just breath in every punch that is thrown at you with your eyes closed and take in each aroma and you may start valuing the grand bal of scents that dance together here. It is a mary-go-round composition where each note underneath the core licorice and lavender combo decides to jump in randomly, show up for a moment, and then suddenly be replaced by another. You will not get bored with this polytonal composition.

voodoodanny
voodoodanny

What the hell just happened to my nose!?

It's like someone fired a curried crème brûlée at my face for standing too close to their cedar/lavender bonfire: I admire his boldness but I'm still not too sure how happy I am about receiving such a bizarre and pungent faceful.

I'm trying so hard to like it...

lovesupreme
lovesupreme

Curry meets Caramel, Smells like Shikakai Herbal Hair Powder, 5/10 - Thank god its only a decant, a really failed Kurdkjian composition, unless you are into these type of thang, though the scent shows a much better phase after the mid is exposed, i think is not enough to warrant a purchase given the price/performance ratio of such a concoction, i suggest you try before you buy,

johngreenink
johngreenink

A real masterpiece of subtlety and spice. I've never found a lavender cologne that was so sublime and gently leathery. There are so many sides to this beautiful scent.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Eau Noire is the "Dark Knight" of this Exclusives range.
As so fittingly described by "mbanderson61" it is fascinatingly juxtaposed between bitter and sweet (licorice), exotic yet familiar, cold yet cosy, and so on.

A somewhat sinister affair of spices and herbs, like a secret recipe for a herbal tea that promises the unpromisable of a secret place in a foreign land.

Reminds me of "Antiode" Victor & Rolf that is equally strange smelling. Or Sambucca, Ouzo 12, Raki, or any other anis based liquor. Jaegermeister and Fernet Branca anyone?

Cannot warm to this one as it reminds me of bitter cough syrup.

mortderire
mortderire

The anise in the opening is promising but then it devolves into an aunt jemima sticky movie-theatre floor mess.

naps2d
naps2d

As A Huge Fan Of The Mastermind Behind This, Hedi Slimane, It's a Must Have..Unfortunately Here in Greece It's Impossible To Find, Moreover It's Ebay Price Is Way Too High.

Being myself an Immortelle freak I expected to dig Eau Noir but, unfortunately, that didn't happen. Where Sables pushes to the very limit the boldness of Helichrysum by introducing a massive dose of amber, Eau Noir focuses on its gourmandic/syrupy aspect adding a liqorice effect and a strong vanilla base that bring this composition towards a cloying territory that's very far from my taste. The remarkable lavender note experienced during the opening it's too volatile to properly balance the fragrance sweet heaviness while the general syrupy vibe leans somewhere between the coca-cola effect and sweetened stale coffee.

When I'm looking for a Helichrysum based composition I go for Sables, 1740 and Fareb. A semi-disappointment.

Rating: 6.5-7/10

cryman41
cryman41

I've seen it in a famous boutique of my city and I fell in love litterally...it's so suggestive, beautiful for winter nights, when you want to feel trasgressive

brianplace
brianplace

This is pretty great. Reminiscent of l'Homme Sage by Divine. Incredible depth of spice - can't stop smelling it.

I get a 'coca cola' accord peeking out from behind the helichrysum (curry-sugar) accord once in a while. Very nifty.

Too bad it's very difficult to find these days. :(

mbanderson61
mbanderson61

An elegant comfort scent, Eau Noire is both dark and soft, bitter and sweet. The immortelle lends an exotic slightly bitter quality, which, along with lavender, thyme and sage, provide an aromatic opening. But a honeyed spiciness and the sweetness of vanilla wrap the scent in warmth and softness. Classified as a cologne for men, but easily worn by women, this is a wonderful fall/winter fragrance.