Designers » C » Aromatic Green « Groups

Jules Christian Dior for men

Jules Christian Dior for men
dislike

herbal
Jules Christian Dior for men Pictures Jules Christian Dior for men Pictures Jules Christian Dior for men Pictures

Jules is game, smile, fantasy, charm. Jules is gentle, yet strong, determined. Jules is always free, always on the run, but manages to do it all. Jules on the vacation: you can see him everywhere. Jules at work: he isn’t obsessed with the boss image. Jules at night: the whole night belongs to him. Jules early in the morning: he dresses up, lights a cigarette and happily takes off, masculine and careless. These are the characteristics of Christian Dior’s fragrance. Before it appeared in 1980, Dior started a commercial campaign to prepare men for the new fragrance, provocatively named Jules. Jules is a name, yet at the same time it represents “the man, the seducer” – that’s what they called pimps back in the 19th century. The commercial campaign (the posters were made by the famous Rene Gruau) caused so much interest that, when it finally came out, it got sold out at the spot. The perfume is very masculine but elegant, with non-glaring but noticeable amber and notes of leather, flowers and aromatic herbs. It opens with Artemisia, lavender, cumin and bergamot. The heart is filled with jasmine, cyclamen, cedar, basil, rose and sandalwood. The base is composed of leather, Tonka bean, oakmoss, amber, suede and musk. The bottle is now different: transparent, elegant with a black stopper. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Martel.

Artemisia Caraway Lavender Bergamot

Cyclamen Carnation Sandalwood Basil Jasmine Cedar Rose

Leather Fir Tonka Bean Musk Oakmoss Amber

Jules (2016)
Opus 1870

Jules Fragrance Reviews

kameron
kameron

I have 3 different editions and the one in rounded brown bottle is the weakest of all. Anyway,you can t call none of them a monster, Jules remains a poor longevity scent, but you can have maybe 2 or 3 hours plus in the rectangular old bottle, even in the new one. Definitely NOT worth the money, at least the crazy prices for the vintages, lots of scents at half price 100 times better than this oldie.

SirMasterpiece

Update: I sprayed once on my arm, a little behind the wrist. And I was doing my exercises (push-ups) my body got warmer and Jules got stronger! I can feel it at I think ALMOST double distance that I mentioned earlier! Isn't this strange?! Or it's normal and I'm the paranoic one here? Even so, it's such a smooth blend for 80s but without a doubt COMPLEX! But not that dense as...umm for example Kouros!

Greetings community,

I've just got a vintage brown spray bottle and as I know Jules for 2-3 years in the time I had 9ml splash minis and easily it became my favourite men fragrance up to date! BUT here's my PROBLEM:

It is my skin PH or is this real power of Jules?! It lasts only 2-3h on my skin with low to medium sillage, like ~5-7cm above my skin. And when I spray on clothes it lasts double that time without any problem and when I move arround, I can still feel it!

Can you help me out people who really know Jules REAL perfomance!? I would be really grateful!

P.S: I'm not willing to sell it at all! I need to know the truth and enjoy it till last drop! :-)

Scented regards,
Masterpiece

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

Tested from recent vintage find.
This is a wonderful scent. Oakmoss, pine, Artemisia made smooth by leather - these are the discernible notes for me. It has elements of Yatagan, Drakkar Noir - a wonderful, powerful, old-school scent, but at the same time incredibly complex with a whole array of other notes (some floral) coming and going, swirling around under the obvious ones. It's hard to compare with other fragrances of a similar "type" because it's so deep and sophisticated, without losing any of its old school "rawness".
It took my straight back in time to the 80s. A top-class, unique fragrance though that would stand up to any modern fragrance around today. It's encouraging to read from others that the modern version is similar to the vintage.
Excellent silage and longevity (several hours - even longer when sprayed on clothes). This is one I can't imagine being without.
October 2016

purecaramel
purecaramel

Stunning green,green start. As has been said before a dreamlike, smooth, seamless transition to the Leather. This,is Masculine Leather of yesteryear, reminiscent of the Bel Ami Vintage and the like. None of the contemporary saccharine muck or the brashness of burnt whatever, or lipstick nonsense.
Extraordinary in that it doesn't soften or fade on my skin. It maintains the note and and again seamlessly moves away.
A Masculine "I want to smell like that"

CGV
CGV

PERFECTION! This is by far the best blind purchase ever. As a collector I needed to own this, but boy its getting straight to my top 3! I was surprise to find it in a Paris fragrance shop and then I checked on Dior's website and its available there also! Dior is the best designer house, who appreciate their older, vintage creations and don't let them just disappear. Spicy, green, stylish, not pushy but manly.....oh I love Jules...now & forever.

Kentington
Kentington

Certain scents get quite a reputation among collectors, especially if they've been discontinued or are difficult to find. Jules is one of those that I've read a dozen or so reviews about, praising its strength, unique character, tenacity, slightly dirty vibe, etc etc etc. Older bottles sell for absurd amounts and even the new bottles have an inflated price, perhaps because it's nearly impossible to find in the US (according to a Dior rep I spoke to at Neiman Marcus in SF, Dior actually recalled their stock and sent it all back to Paris).

My thoughts smelling Jules for the first time? "Ok...so, it's a sage-y aromatic fougere. What's the big deal?" But I kept wearing it, and it started to grow on me. Jules made me realize just how much sameness there is in fragrance. A sage-y aromatic fougere IS a big deal because there aren't any others quite like it. 99% of that category smells of the same soapy-clean lavender/coumarin combo perfumers have been concocting since Houbigant released Fougere Royale in 1889. Jules, on the other hand...there's definitely something kind of dirty about it. It's not B.O. de toilette or anything dramatic like that, but it's a nice reminder that people don't always smell like soap, and that can even be quite sexy.

SirMasterpiece

Alpha masculinity in a bottle. Enough said.

Frangipani81
Frangipani81

Out of interest, does anyone think a 100ml Jules unsprayed 1985 full tester bottle of EDT in the dark brown glass, would be of interest on the market now? This also has the older CD address on it too, so original 1980's formulation...

sebbydee
sebbydee

Pure class in a bottle !!! At least i managed to find something animalistic dirty loud and elegant all at once even in 2015 !! So glad i found this. Same family as its noisy partners yatagan or kouros but pushing the civet to the limit
Will lasts a good day at work. Projection is quite high the first couple of hours
Dior at its best !

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Unlike a few years ago, Jules can be bought now for $100-150, standard department store/niche price, and lord, is it worth it. There is nothing that smells like this. While most macho fougeres of the 80s (Polo, Quorum) have been noticeably cheapened, Jules still smells rich, natural, and expensive. It has the sour herbal animal hit of Paloma Picasso. It has the grassiness of Aromatics Elixir without the overbearing aldehydes that eventually made me give up on it. Its lasting power is phenomenal. The name and the advertising image are delightful. With Jules, you feel like you truly have in your hands a high quality, rare French perfume that someone brought you back from a European vacation. Along with Kouros and Yatagan, this is one of the three best masculines on the market and one of most well-preserved pre-00s perfumes altogether.

Sidenote: I smelled it on a rich man while eating oysters at a fancy restaurant in Austin, where I live. I couldn't believe my nose, but that's what it was.

nickfromtino75
nickfromtino75

I have the vintage bottle(dark brown glass)and recently
i bought the new version in the "Higher" bottle.
My opinion is that the two fragrances are exactly the same with no differences.So,i am wondering why some people say that the new version of Jules is a different fragrance in relation with the vintage.
Perfect aroma,unique,dirty and very very mature...

georgequeue

It's been over three months since I last put some dabs off my 9-ml vintage bottle on my wrist; I did 30 minutes ago, and I can feel a harmonious blend of tobacco, civet, lavender, leather, flowers, cedar, and other wonderful ingredients - it seems there is some kind of liquor hint (or, am I crazy?) on account of a tonka bean and wood combo -. The civet is loudly present during the first 5 hours after application, and the soapy vibe tells you of three decades of a thoroughly crafted fragrance (unlike today's fragrances that are mass-produced synthetic mainstream fragrant liquids), which makes it, doubtlessly, a niche quality product and a unique piece of artwork that was given birth to in 1980.
Dior Jules is an ode to sophistication, lavishness, class, and masculinity, which can only be found at utterly steep prices. This is another potion that would be great to see on all shelves worldwide.

krmarich
krmarich

I found a rare, dark amber bottle of this lost treasure for a hefty price. Its worth every cent as this classic is now lost to perfume history. Serious collectors should get a bottle before its gone forever.

I had never heard of this until Fragrantica. Dior was never really popular in the USA until Poison. Fahrenheit would later become common. Why was Jules so obscure? It has everything going for it. Green herbs-amped up oakmoss, sigh, nice artemesia, playful flowers-perfect lavender, carnation, jasmine and rose, dry sandalwood and musky leather. He projects loudly and is such a flirt. Is there a hint of civet?

Unlike the commercial rush of the 1980s, Jules was never pushed hard. Hence, he speaks no English and had one of the best ad posters ever. Perhaps he takes this fougere thing too far? What exactly is the fougere?Jules is one of the definitive ones. Right next to Jean Martle's other master work-Paco Rabanne PH.

Celebrity=Richard Gere 1980

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

A very potent and archetypal macho scent from the 1980s. I dabbled with it a number of times, and it was one of those rare scents that some days I thought I liked, but then on others, I really didn't. Looking back, I think it was one of those scents that could smell better on others than on me.

Remember the Richard Gere film American Gigolo? Or Warren Beatty in Shampoo? You could imagine both of their characters wearing this. The right period too.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Ooh ooh love, love, love, love, love. Grassy and earthy-spicy (the basil, caraway, with some pines hanging around) with a just enough leather to make it exciting. I put it on - and it was Springtime in Dreary-Ass Chicago January. I smelled the soapy note very briefly but it wasn't strong or lasted long.

I'm not getting the Kourous/Yatagan vibe at all. I've worn both and dearly love both but this doesn't have the animalic feel to me. Feels "clean" but not that current "clean" scent that's supposed to make me feel like I'm at a chemical version of the ocean. It's clean in a just sitting in the grass with sunshine clean

Redbeard
Redbeard

A dry, bitter, smoky powerhouse in the old tradition. Like Aramis but without the sweetness; in fact, this is built around a complete lack of sweetness only seen in things like Yatagan. I could have sworn it was repugnant the last time I tried my sample, but I'm not finding the overbearing herbal sweetness or sharpness that I usually expect from this bunch. It's also not terribly strong. This time around, it reminds me of the much older dry leather barbershop scents (i.e. the Trumper Collection...Astor, Marlborough, Curzon, Eucris). I could actually wear this, in spite of how I had erroneously rememebered it. If it's as expensive and hard to find as I think it is, you might as well just get the Trumper's Collection boxed set, but I am still pleased that another line besides Trumper's has produced this type of scent so recently.

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

The family here is the one of Quorum and Kouros, the glorious, "heavy", uncompromising masculine powerhouses, here however with a slightly less raw and savage personality, more sharp and refined, and with a slightly bolder floral side comprising lavender and other "soapy" notes. In a way, you can also smell the roots of the future Bel Ami, above all for a similar soft, slightly soapy and rich leather note. However Jules is surely rawer, mossier, more herbal than Bel Ami – closer to the abovementioned powerhouses. A "brown", young scent, dirty but classy, roaring but effortlessly restrained. A good, even great scent, although perhaps not that great enough to justify the increasing crazy prices it sells for nowadays (mostly because of the close similarity with other fragrances... in other words, if you already own Quorum or Kouros, you won't really miss Jules).

Edit: I got a bottle as a gift. I was kidding about the "not-that-great-enough", that was just because I couldn't afford it. It's FANTASTIC!

georgequeue

I completely agree with Mark Antony.

I own two miniatures of this beauty (which is impossible to get here in South America), and I really like it; it's nothing like nowadays fragrances, and I love and have owned many of them.

I'm looking forward to Jules being re-released worldwide... Christian Dior Perfumes, what are you waiting for?!

Mark Antony
Mark Antony

My father has kept a bottle, so I had a chance to smell this one (lucky I guess).A great masculine frag. high quality and special character. After the placing on the market of many bad fragrances during the last year, (in my opinion the companies in most cases recycle the the same ideas) Dior will make a clever move if the reintroduction in the market of the frag become worldwide.

jtd
jtd

What does “vintage” mean in perfumery? It doesn’t have the same meaning as wine, where the noun ‘vintage’ refers to a specific year. We use ‘vintage’ as an adjective to connote quality and a timeframe. The time implied is somewhere in the past. Anywhere in the past, as long as it isn’t still current. The intimation, aside from connoisseurship is, is that the better/best version of a perfume is no longer made. The current model is defective.

One force that presses the issue is restriction/reformulation. The chypre genre has become vintage by extinction due to the restricted use of oakmoss. Any given chypre becomes vintage the day after the fatal reformulation. The coumarin that allows for the the fougère genre is restricted.  Has the genre gone the way of the chypre?  Obsolescence as a result of die back?

So is the fougère necessarily vintage?

Fuck if I know, but have you ever smelled Dior Jules?  It's spectacular. It reminds me why I grew up loving the smell of Paco Rabanne pour Homme and easily fell in with Yves Saint Laurent Kouros as a young man. The fougère reaches out for you. It reminds you why the term inspiration carries multiple meanings. It is optimistic by nature.

Jules takes advantage of everything the genre offers. It is gregarious. It is broad. It is handsome. It hits the balance point between cleanliness and funk that makes you want to throw your arms around your fellow humans and smell them. It has the soapiness/muskiness balance that makes the genre so agile, but adds a bouquet garni and a smile.

So here's the question:  does Jules still exist?  I have a decant from a friend who bought it in Paris a few years ago. It's unavailable in the USA where I live. I believe it always has been. Is it "vintage"?  Has it gone the way of the chypre and the passenger pigeon?

The chypre was bled to death over time. Is the same happening to the fougère?

Porsborg
Porsborg

Complex..Love..True Dior!
If you love green,this is it.
Very scensual.
The true essence of Dior,after Eau Sauvage.

lavaman
lavaman

I used to love this scent. From what I remember it is a classic fougere but so much more. I am a lavender junky and the quality of the lavender used with this fragrance was exceptional. Definitely a power house fragrance that you could wear on your inner wrist that would last all day long which is so rare these days. Never over powering but very well blended with allot of individual notes implimented. Would buy this again as long as they don't reformulate the juice, which is what they would probably do unfortunately

GMK
GMK

I was curios to check this out due to increasing number of votes which say its similar to Kouros, fortunately I found it at a friends home his father used to wear this in some ancient times.

To my untrained nose it has nothing at all to resemble with Kouros. It has a very dated leather / lavender vibe which is similar to some Chinese massage oil.

I definitely cant stand this.

georgequeue

I wish this juice were much more famous worldwide!

I currently own two miniatures of vintage Jules -both bought via ebay-, and I've found it really lovely and pleasant; I think it can be used by men over 30 years old, like me.

Message for Christian Dior Perfumes:
Re-release this fragrance worldwide, PLEASE!!!

UPDATE: Although I love the juice, it doesn't last on my skin that very much; it's a matter of skin pH, I guess.

georgequeue

I just received my Jules flacon...WHAT AN AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE!!!

To me, it is like a classier, softer, and less spicy version of Halston Z-14 mixed with YSL Kouros. There's a great deal of lavender in it, yet it feels soft and pleasant, and the animalic note begins to stand out after some minutes. Unlike what many people say, this fragrance is not so overbearing; could it be that I haven't put on enough in order to unleash the beast?

In summary, I DO like it...It was worth the wait! :)

Greetinx.

UPDATE: This fragrance has really grown on me...I'll get more ASAP!!! ;)

fuggerone
fuggerone

Vintage only: ultra spicy woods combo, thick sillage and duration, from the golden age of powerhouses this was King!

georgequeue

I've just bought it blind; it'll be in my hands in 3 weeks, hopefully. I'm really looking forward to knowing what Dior Jules smells like! :)

JasonB
JasonB

I have an original amber glass bottle from 1994 & it still smells
very good. Was discontinued from Australian stockists about this time.

Jomoves
Jomoves

In the 80s I was looking for a new fragrance when I stumbled upon this one. The saleswoman told me that it was for "Men who set trends rather than follow them". I jokingly told her that I hadn't really set any trends.

With that she took the tester from my hands, said "Then this isn't for you", turned on her heels and walked away!

jozemo
jozemo

A strong but seriously elegant scent,by todays standard it is nothing special,it truly a men's fragarance with all the accords associated with it,herbal,woodsy and leather, the drydown is great if you are patient enough to appreciate this type edt,it raw edgy and carefree in an old school sort of way,this is for acquired taste a very 80's type of scent.

Fimafeng
Fimafeng

My fragrance for a couple of wild years.
A success story.
Very seductive scent and it goes almost for any season and every occassion. However, I got a little bored with it, although the girls did not.
The main critique is that it lacks a bit of personal character like Anteaus or Kouros so as to characterizë it a signature fragrance.
But if you just want a very good smelling perfume with lots of attraction potential and no fuzz you shouldn´t hesitate a second. It delivers. Believe me.

shoden
shoden

Cool raw badboyish dirty perfecto 80's proto-"outsiders" lady's man lover scent.

Review for the vintage juice...

If you like humongous animalic fougeres a-là Kouros or challenging herbal-woody concoctions in the same vein as Yatagan, Jules is a mandatory test! Old-school spicy-green masculine with the typical dirty/clean aspect of the aforementioned fragrances. Less animalic than Kouros and, overall, less distinctive than Yatagan yet an unbelievably unsung beauty.

Not much to add. For fragrance aficionados only.

Rating: 8-8.5/10

aleksylvester
aleksylvester

The problem with Jules is that the top notes include too much lavender. After about an hour, the smell becomes anonymous.

Buy the way - it is impossible to compare this scent with Kouros YSL. They are totally different.

Shortly: I don't like "Jules" at all....

Seems a lot like Quorum, except that a major animalic note has been added, and perhaps one or two of Quorum's dominant notes have been subdued a bit. In fact, think 20% Kouros and 70% Quorum (10% unique), and you probably have an excellent idea about what Jules smells like. I suggest getting some vintage Quorum, which is still easy to find on ebay at great prices (look for the bottles that don't say Antonio Puig towards the bottom of the front of the bottle; it should only say Puig). I don't see any reason to pay big money for this one, considering the options now available. Jules is a bit more true animalic whereas Quorum is more earthy animalic (having a kind of "fresh" quality that Jules doesn't seem to possess), if that makes sense.

UPDATE: After several hours, Jules went in a different direction than Quorum, though I could still detect the notes they have in common. Quorum is woodier and more herbal/fresh, whereas Jules was more animalic/spicy. I think Jules' drydown is very similar to Programme Homme, Carrington Cologne, or vintage Santos, but I can't remember which one! Jules is the smoothest of the bunch, at least after the first 10-20 minutes. As to prices, I'd rather wear this than Patou Pour Homme, at least most of the time I'm in the mood, though vintage Furyo is making its way up my list of favorite vintage scents.

panacea
panacea

I still have one of the small sample bottles, but there are only a few drops left in it and how I wish it was still full!...I love this fragrance.

Being a woman who will occasionally use a male fragrance (if I like it) I was given this sample bottle about 15 years ago and was surprised how many women asked me what I was wearing, as they loved the warm, spicy scent - maybe it was just the way if reacted with my skin, but everyone said it reminded them of Christmas - scents of spices and sultry orange, with the fragrance getting more mellow over time. If only Dior would reissue it!

mehrdad
mehrdad

A strong men’s fragrance composed with woody green notes and spicy pepper accents.

به نقل از سایت دیور

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

On some days "Jules" is an über interesting, dark and complex beast. ... BUT then on others it's rather more like a dark furry "pissed-on" soaked beast. (~ It morphs and bites !)
~ But it's well worth the wait for it's more elegant "dénouement" !

RobbieX
RobbieX

I remember smelling a tester ages ago - it was a really great smell -leather and spice. Wish I could get some

desmondorama
desmondorama

This has been one of my all time favourites and I wish that Parfums Christian Dior would reissue it again.

It's typically early 80's, intense, masculine and musky; when men smelled like men should!

I love the artemesia, musk, jasmine, sandalwood and rose (most of my favourites have these notes).

I also love the packaging and style of the perfume; so Dior!

Whooops: Helps to sign in.Now I have to repeat myself, sorry. Jules goes onto my skin as musty leather and soap. Spice notes creep in nicely, but then fade away again to leave musty leather and soap. Later, a mint note arrives and fades with the same strange vanishing act. It's not bad, smelling rather like a clean man in a leather jacket, but it's not particularly spectacular either, with my chemistry. I didn't get dirty edges or animalistic notes like CommonScent reports, just that musty leather that reminds me powerfully of English Leather only soapier. Hmmm

Goes onto my skin as musty leather and soap. Spice notes creep in nicely, but then fade away again to leave musty leather and soap. Later, a mint note arrives and fades with the same strange vanishing act. It's not bad, smelling rather like a clean man in a leather jacket, but it's not particularly spectacular either, with my chemistry. I didn't get dirty edges or animalistic notes like CommonScent reports, just that musty leather that reminds me powerfully of English Leather only soapier. Hmmm.

CommonScents
CommonScents

Awesome animalic scent. Masculine extravaganza with edgy / dirty nuances throughout the accords. Huge scent. Big thumbs up.