Designers » C » Chypre Floral « Groups

Aromatics Elixir Clinique for women

Aromatics Elixir Clinique for women
dislike

I have it: 1214 I had it: 641 I want it: 356 My signature: 49

Aromatics Elixir Clinique for women Pictures Aromatics Elixir Clinique for women Pictures Aromatics Elixir Clinique for women Pictures

Aromatics Elixir is the oldest perfume from the house of Clinique, created in 1975. It’s classified as chypre-floral, following the steps of similar sharp and strong classics. The top, aromatic note is dominated by verbena, sage and chamomile, which give way to the sweet floral notes of geranium, rose and white flowers: ylang ylang, jasmine and tuberose. Oakmoss and patchouli note in its base are traditional ingredients in perfumes that belong to the chypre family.The moss-green end note is characteristic of the chypre family, along with vetiver.The nose behind Aromatics Elixir is Bernard Chant. The new limited edition of Aromatics Elixir was introduced in 2007, available in 100ml bottles with an addition of a retro atomizer which offers a romantic flair. Aromatics Elixir was launched in 1971.

Aldehydes Coriander Chamomile Clary Sage Lemon Verbena Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood Geranium

Carnation Tuberose Orange Blossom Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose

Beloved

Aromatics Elixir Fragrance Reviews

ingelot
ingelot

When I first smelled Aromatics on my mum a couple of years ago I NEEDED to have this. But although I love it, I can not wear the EDP...The bodylotion is the only 'good' way to wear it (for me).

Zakaria_80
Zakaria_80

Allow me to describe the person who always wore this perfume.

1992.
We had just moved back to Greece and I got in the sixth grade of elementary school where ofcourse I didn't know anyone back then. My mother started talking to this big confident lady who assured her she will convince her son Bill to sit next to me. I still remember Bill's disapproval since he had already arranged with who he would sit. (just for the record Bill is still one of my dearest and closest friends)

Mrs Dora.
A wonderful single mother who raised her 2 children all by herself with minimal support from her husband. Fearless in whatever life was throwing at her, absolute and bentless in her opinions, with fair and imposing personal traits and always clean and sharp in appearance. Very organized in all aspects and always using her mind over her heart. (well who can blame her for that)
Everytime we met at Bill's house as a kid to play for the 1000001th time Alex Kidd in master system, I always was catching some whiffs of this heavy powdery flowery smell which I hated at that time. Every time I visited (even today), the whole house smells like Elixir!!

Well don't get me wrong. I still hate it even today only with one exception: I do understand it. Maybe I need another 20 years to like it, I don't know. What I do know is I can't see anyone being able to wear it with less character than the lovely beautifully strong Mrs Dora.

TheSultan
TheSultan

(update) I'll be buying a backup, ASAP. This is put together, better than Aramis 900. It's smoother. There is a ashy, musky note that 900 has that puts me off just a bit. But Alixir is niche-like...smoother and just solid in every way. I also get a lipstick smell that sorta gels with everything in a very classy way. Im not sure where its coming from, but I like it.
__________________________________________________

smells incredible. There is that Aramis DNA. I even smell more of the original Aramis for Men, than I do, Aramis 900, which has a musky note that this fragrance does not have.

I would say this is heavy, heavy, heavy, HEAVY. And dry, dry, dry, VERY DRY. But it has a very solid smelling vibe that sticks to a person, like glue.

you dont have a choice in the matter, where wondering if its unisex or not, is being argued. It is extremely unisex. And extremely stately.

I bought it becuz it's very clean smelling and it's the only scent I can think of recently or in my past, where I can deal with the aldehydes, with no problem at all.

it was complimented on, left and right. And there were two ladies who knew exactly what it was. They were pleasantly surprised.

this is a moss/patchouli/aldehyde and incense bomb. Or more like an atomic bomb. It is by far, the strongest fragrance I own, now. Hands down.

diamondkite
diamondkite

Every time I test Aromatics Elixir I think of Katherine Hepburn - the perfume captures her strident, no-nonsense, progressive presence and natural beauty.

It's woodsy, sharp, clean, beautiful, unconventional and almost masculine or androgynous in spirit. It really does have the legendary silage and longevity that will put a pep in your step and, even after a shower, it will still linger on faintly...

AE is sexy in an outdoorsy, 'walk though the woods' kind of way. Well I am earth sign so I WOULD think that!

ellina1984
ellina1984

As my sister tactfully puts it, this scent is special (she doesn't specify if she says this in a good or bad way).
So, this, for me, is special in a good way.

I can discern chamomile, spicy coriander, a lot of rose, patchouli, a touch of citrus at the top, and all this is floating about on a green carpet. When I say green, I don't mean the green notes one usually finds in perfumery, but rather a natural feeling background of scent, like when you're wandering in a wooded area, and you get wisps of natural smells whenever a breeze blows.

This is not dark for me, as many reviewers have described it, nor does it bring to mind a thick forest and mossy trees.
It is like an enchanted garden. With herbs, and the clean and discreet smell of roses, with an unplaceable spiciness and earthiness, with a whisper of mahogany.

I find it very interesting that therapeutical properties are attributed to this scent, as it does seem to make me calmer, or at least carry this promise.

This has great sillage. I spray in the morning, and I come back to a wonderfully smelling bedroom in the afternoon.I find tow sprays to be enough. Never more. And I've never been able to do the walk-through-the-mist thing. Complete waste of perfume.

EDIT: I have developed a habit of spraying this on my pillow once about 15 minutes before going to bed. It realxes me and soothes me, and my hair carries a faint smell of this in the morning. Truly entrancing!

RobbieX

I am tempted to get this for myself - it's that good.

Difference between EDT & EDP
With one on each hand, I can report that the EDP is much better. Warmer & with more depth & more long lasting....The EDT is crispier & not so long lasting...Definitely vote for the EDP....It smells original....

Dorothy Grace
Dorothy Grace

This review is for an old bottle - possibly late '90s.

A single spray smoothed between the wrists opens a wooden box filled with musky blankets interlaid with crushed chamomille and rose.

On a folded kitchen roll I smell in addition some soapy, waxy, orange/floral/wood that brings to my mind petitgrain. I really like this note although it burns off very quickly from my skin leaving just a faint orange wood.

A rich long-lasting middle phase includes a tiny violet posy intermingled with a few patchouli leaves. This stage reminds me very strongly of some wet pot-pourri I have curing which is made up of red, pink, and yellow rose petals, rosemary, thyme, lavender (flowers and some leaves), a few lemon balm, and lots of wild geranium (mild smell compared to the cultivated plant); dry but not dusty, a herbal sweet rosy floral walking through an autumn wood.

This is my burnt orange, soft woolen jumper perfume; a single spray under a pure woolen jumper worn next to the skin and the wool first traps the perfume encouraging it to warm, then slowly allows the scent, enhanced by the smell of warm wool, to filter through to the surroundings.

When I take this perfume for an outing I curse the fickleness of my soul that persecutes me to seek always the new and I lament the lost winters when I could have been wearing this instead of that.

Eau de Parfum possibly from around the '90s.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

The perfume opens sharply with a herbal blast of aldehydes.
Sharp, mossy, fern, herbal, green, aldehydic. AE is a perfume with shades of the original Estée Lauder Private Collections.
This is a love it or hate it fragrance, but it is a powerful blend of ingredients, which reminds me of a thick green forest after a torrential rainstorm. This is what Aromatics Elixir smells like to me.
A very masculine scent in my opinion, this could be worn very beautifully by a man as much as any woman. There is no sweetness, no softness, no flowery powder-puff appeal. This is a wonderful mossy, ferny fragrance which has extraordinary longevity, (I spritzed this very carefully and frugally at 7am and I can still smell it at 7.30pm after a hard sweaty day at work! I think this is one of the cleanest and freshest perfumes I have ever smelled.
Beautiful, unique and vintage type of scent. This is not for the faint hearted, nor is it a crowd pleaser.

rockegg
rockegg

It takes a special kind of woman, or perhaps a woman in a special mood, to appreciate this classic. If I had to sum up this woman or this mood in one word I guess it would be outdoorsy. It's not a very girly-girl scent, nor does it remind me of a stroll along the Seine. Instead I think of being in a deep forest of wet mossy trees and sunlit green meadows filled with herbs and wildflowers. There is a small campfire nearby with smoke curling up to the sky. The world feels fresh, energized, and alive.

Having said that I want to take a moment to get on my soapbox. If you are not this sort of woman but are more the downtown shopping sort of woman, I would encourage you to try balancing your image with something like this. Or if you are outdoorsy, try a delicate floral. Keep them off base. Don't be one-note. How captivating is it to be sipping a martini in Manhattan with a beautifully dressed woman, and when you get closer you realize she smells like the great outdoors? Isn't that woman much more fascinating for smelling like that?

maguffin42
maguffin42

I didn't really like the scent,it seemed a little too strong and spicy for me. I only tried it because it was in one of those freebie bags. But I got so many enthusiastic compliments, I feel like I have to continue wearing it. Both men and women track me down as smelling delicious.

Julie Billi

I got Bvlgari's omnia crystaline as a birthday gift which is nice, but I wanted a warm sensual perfume for winter this year....So, I went to the shop to change it. What a nigtmare! I was not happy with anything! After puting around 15 perfumes on me & smelled another 15 on the paper (how silly & stubborn I am sometimes), I tried AGAIN this elixir! Last time I did, I said no - no for me as it had a disturbing opening but a lovely aromatic dry down! This time I tried the EDT & what a miracle! I bought it immediately & was so happy about it! The opening is strong, but not that strong!
Strong &.....aromatic....this is my only comment as I cannot detect very easily all the ingredients (& they are so many in this one! Like a celebrity's party inviting many VIPs ). I can only detect patcouli & the green aldehydes! I bought the body lotion too which will apply with or without the perfume (only 2 sprays, I know, I know...) depending on the occasion!
I am also curious about the comments I will receive after wearing it! I want my perfume to represent me 100% but nice compliments are important to me, as the perfume is something you share....(the others have a nose to smell, don't they? :) )

It is very interesting to share with you a short story I was told by the clinique lady on this!
There was a lady coming almost every day in the shop only to smell from the bottle the AE but could not afford buying it! All the ladies working was so touched by this so they bought it for her for Xmas making her crying from happiness! It is so nice to listen to such stories!

Juma
Juma

It's a typical chypre perfume and the only "secret" is to spray it very modest; only one or two sprays, and far from nose, maybe under clothes.
And only then it developes to most amazing clean (as aldehydes are)and at same time sensual scent (as patchouli is) I've ever tried. It's a bold, noticable scent, but nobody is sure from where the amazing scent is coming. It makes people come closer with "ahhh, that's you, this rich smell"
It's a pure classic. With great longevity and sillage.

ecoliere
ecoliere

I understand why it was so big back in the 70s. The Middle east perfumes probably new in the Western states. This is what I would say normal Arab perfume that often worn by men there. Women will not gonna get compliments in Asia wearing this.

On a positive note, this is GREAT for your house. It is long-lasting and classic. There are people who will appreciate it. Dont throw it away if you hate it. Remember it is just not for personal touch.

jellybeantree

This is all that I have been wearing......what more can I say! This is better than any niche fragrance and I have gone through so many fragrances . I never keep them. This is one of the best fragrances ever created in my humble opinion.

jellybeantree

@elaheahsan yes it has , as many fragrances have in the last few years but is still wonderful!

elaheahsan

Has it been reformulated?

Mirabele
Mirabele

I bought this one half-blindly; I vaguely remember testing it once some time ago, concluding it was ok but not special and then forgetting about it. Bottle is not very exciting so I see why many pass this on their way more interesting ones. I was desperately craving for something different, something not sweet, not fruity and not very floral. I bought at the store without testing, got into my car, opened, and sprayed. Voila, there was my home, there was my happy place.

I am not the biggest fan of the opening, it smells a bit medicinal to me, and there is certain herbal bitterness to it as well. I am not a big expert at detecting notes, it may be chamomile and spices as many described here before. This stage passes and after half an hour it is a beautiful dry woody scent. It is not sweet, but warm enough, a bit bitter, herbal, green, woody and very comforting. It envelopes me in a cloud of tranquility and calmness. What a nice break from sweet fruity florals. I admit it smells sweeter on my skin than from the bottle and it smells better on me than from the bottle. I have also noticed that it smells dry if i spray very little and sweeter if I spray more.

I have to say it is not that strong that I had imagined from the reviews. It is much weaker. On my bottle it says made in Switzerland and maybe that is explanation. It is not that long lasting as well though it says on the bottle parfum spray. It sits well for about 4 hours, but becomes skin scent after about 2,5 with soft woody, and mossy scent. Maybe there is something wrong with my nose and I am overspraying, maybe that is how current version is, I have no reference with any earlier or vintage versions. I try not to spray because I am so aware it may not be a crowd pleaser scent, so I just try to press the nozzle and dab a little there and there.

It is very different from modern perfumes, and lacks the popular sweetness that many seem to enjoy nowadays. I like it exactly because of that. For anyone who finds nowadays fragrances too sweet and too similar to each other, this may be a nice option.

EDIT: i weared this a lot in the start but then i realised it is too spicy and too bitter for my liking, esp in the opening. i find it also too "botanical" for public wearing. i still like it and think it is a great fragrance, but i do not wear it as often as i thought i would.

wendyangeln
wendyangeln

Aromatics Elixir is the most interesting fragrance in my collection.

Interesting enough that this is my fourth time trying to compose a coherent review -hopefully this is the one.

For a clean-floral lover like me, the first whiff of AE is... well, it's A LOT. Honestly, I'm never ever ready for that first whiff. It's really a bit cacophonous to my nose, but my nose prefers simplicity so I guess that's expected. I get oakmoss, I get patchouli, there are flowers, there's wet earth, there's smoke... it's a lot. But it's not bad...? It's kind of like hide-and-seek, I keep spotting one accord, losing another... My wrist is pretty much plastered to my nose for the first half hour. AE has me out here looking like a damn crack head lol :)

The heart and drydown, though... That's where the magic happens. AE settles down to an earthy, floral, mossy beauty on me. I get the rose quite clearly (which surprised me), but it's an earthy rose. It's going out after it has rained and the earth is giving off that wonderful petrichor, and there are roses around, and there are mossy trees around... I know there is a lot more happening in this fragrance but the rest of it is blended so well, the only things that jump out in the heart are the oakmoss, patchouli and rose.

When it dries down, it's astonishing how calm and comforting it is, given the bedlam that is the opening. On me, it dries down to a wonderful musky, patchouli, vaguely smokey-dusty-powdery skin scent that's very feminine to me. How? How now? HOW? I'm so blown away by the layers of this fragrance - it's such an interesting, surprising experience every time.

It is VERY potent, very very potent, so I only do a spritz in the decolletage and another half-spritz for the back of my neck and my wrists. It gets SO many compliments, and always elicits a surprised "really?" when I say what it is. I did not expect it to be as much of a crowd-pleaser as it turned out to be. Longevity is so good, I feel like I waste a lot of it when I wash it off in the shower. The first time I wore it, it was still delectable and detectable (um, applause for me?) after 14+ hours, on my oily skin.

AE is a win.

tige60
tige60

I have to confess that Aromatics Elixir is truly an amazing fragrance that deserves a spot in the my all-time favourite 50 frags for females...it really is so very fabulous and intoxicating but more importantly, it's Made in Amazement! Aromatics Elixir transforms the wearer into an instant beauty...it's THAT beautiful!

farang
farang

This is a fragrance with a character! A balsamic chypre. It sings its melody with a deep voice, with a floral and aromatic patchouli structure. It is completely unisex, in fact it may be better suited to some males, and it is the opposite of a light or transparent fragrance. This one is dense and aromatic.

Two sprays will keep you smelling wonderful the whole day and more sprays may suffocate those near you.

laurakaye
laurakaye

This is my Grandma's powder room in a scent.

To be more specific: this is me, at age 5 or 6, going into my grandma's bathroom and playing with her big, fluffy powder-puff, dipping it in elegant, refined powder, applying way too much rouge and bright red lipstick, and making faces at myself in her big oval mirror, pretending to be a grown-up. This is also a conglomeration of all of her perfume bottles - she would let me dab on a little before my parents picked me up to take me home from visiting her. I only wish I knew now exactly what those bottles were, but this one brings to my mind such a strong memory, she had to have owned this.

I love it.

If I find myself with some spare cash and feeling sentimental, I might head to the Clinique counter and bring Aromatics Elixir home with me. Although I am now far, far from 5 years old, I still feel like I'm playing "grown-up" while wearing this, but maybe now I can pull it off a little better.

Side note: I dipped a q-tip in my sample vial and dabbed it up and down my arm. My daughter came home and said the entire house smelled like perfume. Good to know in case I ever do own this - a little goes a long way.

yola40
yola40

I first purchased this in a oil and it smelt delicious on me, then I purchased it in the spray and it did not like me. I gave it to a lady that worked with me. She had it on and I did not recognize it on her, but it smelt wonderful on her but not on me

Saneko
Saneko

This is definitely a chic perfume for an old lady. It is really strong long lasting and is not for me. It can be even a little bit masculine is not a bad perfume but you have to like the notes on these one because is really hard to get rid of once you spray it on you.

SeReZhka.Ca
SeReZhka.Ca

What an excellent perfume!

At first, when you just sniff the stopper, it's extremely sharp and pungent, so it is not surprising why so many people are repelled by the scent when they open it. The trick is to spray it and let it dry down on you to allow it to unfold its charm!!

An unusually aromatic chypre, strong, determined, very balsamic and completely sense-dazzling!

The sillage and lasting power are out of this space! Sprayed it today a few times, and the scent just goes on and on and on...every single time I turn around or move, I feel it wrapping me around like tentacles. Incredibly strong and profound.

On a personal note, I am so glad there are no fruity/floral notes to it, which makes it a very rare smelling perfume these days.

If you don't let the EXTREME opening scare you, you should be able to discover a real gem.

elaheahsan

Classy and chic.(for ladies over 35 or even over 40.NOT for teenagers at all)
Great longevity .Also fills a room with only one or two sprays.
I don't use it cause I'm 15 and it's too heavy for me but my mom loves it and uses it whenever she goes out.

joe70062
joe70062

My very first chypre fragrance. If you can take it, it's wonderful. A.E. is like wearing ten different perfumes at once. I can only wear this on rare occasions, and have Tylenol available for the afterparty this produces! A very, very strong scent, with crazy radiance. Think Poison or Opium. You will catch the scent before the wearer arrives. Sample it first, and only in cool weather.

heather62
heather62

Because this is strong, I wore the body cream instead of the cologne/perfume. It's a very pretty smell but I apply this very lightly if I was going to wear this to work.

Miss LaCreevy
Miss LaCreevy

Applied with a light hand, it is divine. Oversprayed, it is a nightmare.

black_orchid
black_orchid

I Love it!! Amazing! İncense, dark-woody and chypre floral. It's really very important to me because I wore it long time in my university life and I remember my memorise of university. When I wear it many people asked to me " what did you wear? It's smell amazing!" İf you try it on paper I think you don't like it. You should try on skin and expecially in summer evening or autumn (I love the wear it for autumn). I think it is a big self-confidence for people. By the way, I'm 24 years old and I don't believe age issue for perfumes..

jellybeantree

My mother was right ! Men love this fragrance , my dear male friend of 20 years told me it's the best fragrance he has ever smelled on me for 20 years! He has smelled thousands of fragrances on me over the years! I was shocked because he never has reacted like that! 1 spray is all you need. It lasts forever! This is a treasure! If it works for you it's a winner ! If not than stay away ! I find it magical!

Jerrythecat
Jerrythecat

Aromatics Elixir is the perfect alternative to Aramis 900 for those who love this scent. Exactly the same herbal note but Aromatics Elixir is a lot stronger and deeper in patchouli. A man can easily wear this beautiful jewel and it lasts for ever, and the eau de parfum has a sillage and projection that blasts your senses away throughout the day. Careful though, this is not for the faint hearted and I would suggest to start with Aramis 900 first, then to continue the journey with Aromatics Elixir who will then stay a true friend. I use it when I want to be different from the crowd and perfect combination with Body Smoother.
Easy on the spray! My partner sprays himself on average 21 times with his favourite perfume before going out each morning (...); I would not even consider spraying more than three times with AE otherwise people would throw stones at me! It is über strong.
Love it or hate it, to me it is love: clean, soapy, patchouli, herbal. Very unisex just like the bottle! A vintage masterpiece I do not smell very often on others.

Elviraelbasan
Elviraelbasan

Never thought this beauty , was inside this ordinary bottle .
I felt in love at fist spray ( not sight).....:-)
A must have for all parfumista ...
I think it is for over 30 years chic sophisticated women
I can not imagin a teeneage wearing this
Respect for clinique for this masterpiece

jellybeantree

Well Well Well look what decided to smell good on my skin! I have never been able to wear this fragrance! It turned horrid on me! What happened? Well I guess my chemistry changed ! This is a very calming and relaxing scent to me . it is so complex and beautiful . I am so happy I can finally wear this one! It was my moms fave in the 70's and she told me that when she wore this men would flock to her like bee's to honey ! Ha! I hope I have the same result ! :) Either way I can enjoy it! Isn't it strange how chemistry can change !

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is seriously such a great scent!

I'm leaning towards saying it's best for night-time, but it could suit a winter day, and in particular, a formal or festive occasion - like a high tea in your best "winners" outfit.

It's got a church-esque vibe to it. But makes me think of an old house, well kept, and still burns wood fire in the lounge. Definitely speaks to the cooler months, and a quiet confidence.

I was immediately engaged by this fragrance, expecting it to be far stronger - as in, the initial spray power, but it's positively gorgeous. It develops into a soft, brown sugar scent with some mix of myrrh or spice. I guess I am growing on the woodier, smokier, spicier scents..

Unlike Magie Noire, as a comparison, it does not seem to grow too full, too smoky. It sits just right. But akin to MN, it likely only needs the one spray on your chosen areas, and perhaps a misting to the air to walk through.

I think a teacher of mine or someone may have worn it... it seems to be bringing back a vague recollection. Yet, I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection in time. I love the classic, feminine, retro scents. They are far more evocative and sensuous than most contemporary scents are made to be.

Carnation
Carnation

This may not be for everyone. If you like very herbal chypres with a gorgeous patchouli dominated dry down, you'll like this. It's very earthy and extremely reminiscent of 1970's chypres like Halston.
What is funny to me is that Fragrantica says "created in 1975. Launched in 1971". How is it possible that a fragrance created in '75 (or perhaps the house)be launched in '71?"

danaklein
danaklein

I have an old version of this perfume and it' s brilliant, but I heard they had to reformulate it as well. Pity, because it was strong and full of life!

wildwitch67
wildwitch67

A beautiful grown up mysterious perfume. You only need a small amount on. I've only recently discovered it & it has become a favourite. People will ask what you are wearing. The once I did wear a couple too many sprays & it did give me a sickly headache, so keep it low. At first it is quite a chemical/harsh smell & very different but stay with it as it changes into a powdery note which is lovely. I do think it smells different on different people. A work collegue always knew when I was on duty because she smelt "The Aromatics" before seeing me if I was wearing this. It's one of those love it or hate it's. I really like it.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

If sounds were smells and smells were sounds, this smells the way Dusty Springfield's voice sounds.

And guys, guys, guys... c'mere - just um, hear me out. The current Aramis 900 is a whispier, thinner version of this but it smells the same. If the Aramis Gentlemen's Collection version of Aramis 900 likes your nose but leaves you sniffing for more presence after a few minutes, consider this the eau de parfum version.

I asked a sales associate to smell the two side by side several times. She could not tell the difference - AT ALL. Neither could I. It warms up to a balsamic amber on my skin. Only one MIST under the shirt is enough. Hold it at least several inches away from the skin and don't rub it.

And... last but not least, if you'd like to add depth to your Tuscany Per Uomo, layer a spray or two of the Tuscany over one subtle mist of this.

mufulia
mufulia

I bought it in 1986 for the first time, several times since then and I bought it as well in the last years
(last time 2 years ago). I do not notice any reformulation at all, it smell exactly the same.
Very specific, elegant. My advice is: do not buy as
edt because smells too sharp. The original formulation
perfume concentrated is the best one. One spray is
more than enough!
So what I do is this: I put in direct contact with
my skin the hole of the bottle, then I press a little
bit (just as I want to spray) so that a litle little bit of perfume get out of the hole of the spray. And then I put it in contact with my nek, my wristles,
behind my knees etc.
With Aromatics Elixir, how less, how better and the
bottle, sparingly used, will last much longer and nobody
will complain that is TOO STRONG! (as I used to do back in 1986...!)

SASKIAH
SASKIAH

It was a beautiful perfume.... BEFORE !!!

Very bad reformulation unfortunately...

rasputin1963

Those wondering what the dominant signature note in AE is: It's geranium. Mingled with patchouly and rose. I know of no other scent that features geranium this prominently.

rasputin1963

Brilliant, airy and stimulating, assertive yet somehow transparent, with a pronounced sillage and longlasting tenacity, AROMATICS ELIXIR almost reads as a throwback to fine French perfumery of the 1960's. With an "ether" like topnote, it smells as new as cellophane, and possesses a green-ish geranium/patchouly signature that is unmistakeable, making it almost a daughter of Myrurgia MAJA. Quite possibly a "love it or hate it" scent.

TÊTE: aldehydes, verbena, sage, coriander, chamomile, raspberry
COEUR: geranium, rose, white flowers, ylang ylang, jasmine, tuberose.
FOND: oakmoss, patchouli, leather notes, vetiver

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

Let me begin by saying that there's absolutely zero anything that's `Old Lady` about Clinique`s Aromatics Elixir, and I can spot an `Old Lady` perfume from a mile away. There's a slew of definitive words that I can put into quotations about this gorgeous juice like... `powerful`, `alluring`, `classy`. You get the picture. I just happened to pick this juice out of all the flacons on display at Sephora for some odd reason due to the dark colour of the juice and decided to spray it on the little paper sample strip, and all I thought was `Wow!`... I'm hooked! I frantically looked up the notes from my phone here on Fragrantica and saw that this is a Patchouli bomb, so I hastily sprayed away onto my wrist and gave the juice time to drydown. `Wow!!`... I'm sold. Seriously, this is some really good juice. The opening is stunning on it's own with all those fizzy and sparkly Aldehydes and that herbal Sage, but the drydown is to die for with that dark and dirty Patchouli and smoky Incense with Chamomile still being presented in the forefront, and amazingly, as much as I dislike Oakmoss, it's blended extremely well and does not leave the olfactory illusion of a dirty didee, so, I will have to disagree with the votes in the scent pyramid up above because this is a Patchouli bomb perfume, followed strongly by Chamomile and all those lovely white florals with Oakmoss followed there after, and if Oakmoss was being presented strongly, I'd have to run far away from this perfume, because true Oakmoss Chyprés scare me. The way that the 3 stages are executed in this perfume is just genius... a fruity and herbal opening, a white floral showered heart, and a mossy mud bath of a drydown that`s dark green and brown. It`s so rank in the prettiest way possible and out in left field smelling that it`s a compliment getter, and I`ve never experienced a super cool smelling drydown like this before in my life. The far drydown gives the illusion of sticking your nose into a potted plant that has Moss covering it's soil that's perpetually wet and moldy and never sees the light of day... damp and mildewed, kinda funkdified like a really dark and dank basement that hasn't had any airflow in years, and it's at this point that that 70`s vibe really shines thru, and I believe this is about as earthy as a perfume can get until it's just straight Patchouli being showcased. It's really awesome, and I've never smelled a drydown like this that even comes close, ever, and the main reason this bombastic perfume is my signature! Aromatics Elixir takes some serious juevos to pull off, because this is a very bold perfume, and I can only imagine the correct skin chemistry as well, but thankfully for me, I lucked out, because it smells amazing on me. This is a hard core to the bone `green` perfume monster, and just for fun, I did a comparison to Robert Piguet`s Bandit, and honestly, Bandit appeared as a pillowy creampuff next to this stuff. It takes some wearings to begin to understand and really appreciate the different facets and neat little tricks hiding out inside this flacon, and although this perfume is marketed towards Women, a Man can definitely wear this. I unfortunately haven't had the luxury yet of sampling Aramis 900 to compare these two `kissing cousins`, but apparently the roles of the two in a marketing perspective for Men and Women are reversed as in Aramis 900 is the more Feminine counterpart... very interesting. Aromatics Elixir is a for real perfume and not for play-play with some wicked strength in the sillage department and the longevity is just ridiculous. The drydown settles nicely to just above arms length, and if the wearer knows how to properly `wear` this über dark and just plain beautiful juice... `Wow!!!`. This really is a gorgeous and dark perfume that's damp and very floral with just enough indolic tendencies from all those big white flowers to lend a grungy, almost BO and `pissy` edge, and as off putting as that sounds, it's really not, just downright beautiful, and the Patchouli gives a very well rounded dark, earthy and dirt feeling as well, and the Oakmoss lays down a heavy base, but never filthy smelling. What a handsomely executed perfume this is! I personally recommend Aromatics Elixir for any of the white floral and Patchouli lovers out there..

As an interesting side note: Aromatics Elixir is a fabulous perfume on it's own, but I believe that this stunning juice really needs to be layered under something else... Tom Ford`s Noir de Noir is fantastic layered over Aromatics Elixir, with just a light spritz of Jasmin Rouge on top. The results are a chocolaty Rose Patchouli bomb that has some slight indolic and `bubblegummy` nuances from the Jasmin, and the drydown of these 3 perfumes is just crazy interesting...

PrincessWillow
PrincessWillow

I love this fragrance!! It's intriguing. I love that you you only need to spray a small amount and the soft scent that lingers on me all day is extremely pleasing and delightful.
This will definitely be my go to perfume for everyday use!! I will buy this forever!!

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

This is a strong perfume! I bought a little 10ml bottle and it will last me a long time - not because I dislike, I liked it at first sniff and it is growing on me all the time - but because it is so potent you need only one small spray on bare skin before you dress and you will be wonderfully scented for hours!

This opens straight up patchouli on me, and for some reason, some days patch can go slightly pee smelling as it settles, so occasionally I do have to tolerate 10 or so minutes of a slightly urine-y smell...but it is worth it because as it warms and settles I am enveloped in the most wonderful, big soft warm aroma!

The most dominant notes on me are good quality patchouli, geranium, sandalwood, jasmine and chamomile, supported by orris, rose, and bergamot. Although I can smell other notes in this these are the most predominant and the ones I can pick out and differentiate.

This is nice, calming, well rounded and balanced. The patchouli reminds me somewhat of the old "Lush" shower gel called Tramp which I adored.

Longevity is amazing, this stuff lasts and lasts, and just one spray will give BIG projection - don't overspray this one!

I have also the roll on antiperspirant of this, which is a milder version, heavier on the sandalwood, rosewood and chamomile on my skin than the perfume. The deodorant is a nice way to enjoy this if you find the perfume too strong and actually works pretty well too.

perfumeaddiction

I had posted a review on this several reviews below and had to come back and just mention a few things about this fragrance. For starters just like most perfumes it has been reformulated. I would LOVE to get my hands on a vintage bottle.

Secondly this was my Mothers favorite scent. She would go very sparingly and the lovely aroma stayed with her all day. I can't explain how lovely this scent was with her body chemistry but it emitted the most gorgeous faint yet very present aroma that I have never quite smelled on anyone else. I can remember many times being out with her and people coming up and asking what perfume was she wearing - genuinely wanting to purchase for themselves. This was the vintage formula. I sprayed a touch of my new version on my hand and after about an hour I believe I am getting the same lovely aroma coming from me. As mentioned below please do not spray this on your clothing. Spray it out of the shower on skin only. 1 spray will take you through the entire day. And if your lucky enough to have the chemistry to carry this fragrance it will work absolute wonders for you. The perfume smells disgusting first spray. This is one of those that needs about 15 minutes to transform and it will if on your skin. After 15 or so minutes it's a completely different story. That initial sharp horrible smell takes on a deeper gentler sexiness. Over spraying does a huge disservice to the fragrance and those around you. It is meant to have a slight linger only.

gardeniapetunia
gardeniapetunia

I smelled this for the first time a few months ago at a Clinique counter, the saleslady sprayed a paper strip and I gagged. Horrible, the worst old lady scent ever, truly hideous. But I took the strip home with me and something magical happened over the week as it sat in the walk in closet. The scent turned wonderful, herbally, woody, just delicious and never flowery.
The scent lingered on the strip for many weeks and I went back several more times to get another strip. One for under my pillow.
I am in love now. It smells like nothing else, those dozens of sweet smelling perfumes on my vanity now seem cloying and trite.
What was once vulgar is now beautiful and I can't go back.

eveclair

This scent no longer triggers memories from my adolescence because it is not the fragrance it used to be. I was prompted to seek a vintage bottle. Im not sure whether this review and these notes refer to the old or the new formula, or somewhere in between.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

Strong, pungent, medicinal, earthy, and I swear I detect a sort of sweetness! A natural tang of sweetness that comes from eating a bitter fruit. It’s so dark and sexy, but it’s a darkness that has nothing to do with the “heaviness” of the oriental genre. This one is too “alive and growing”.

I wear AE whenever I will be close to nature. It sort of amplifies and mingles with the scents of real plants flowers trees and earth, even lakes and boggy marshes, to make them seem even more alive than ever. During the day, in the warm autumn sunshine, it is pure happiness. But my favorite time to wear it is after sunset, when I can see the blue-grey twilight over the darkening lake, the forest behind me is cool and black, and I can hear silent wild animals start to peep out from their hiding places to walk in the night.

In the far dry-down, there's the smoke of a burnt-out fireplace in the morning, and fresh dewy moss.

Is this what the world smells like if you were born a witch and nature "speaks" to you?

piggyluv
piggyluv

Body chemistry is a funny thing- on me Aromatics is a straight up classic tea rose scent, no more, no less. Pretty, but not worth the $$$ ( for my budget). This review is for the perfume made in Switzerland.

secretsweets
secretsweets

I Love Love this one ..one of the best

thinkingmagpie
thinkingmagpie

The opening of this fragrance is green & fruity; Aldehydes, Bergamot & Geranium hit you first. Then after a while it becomes gentler floral mixed with nice woody base notes. It smells better on me after the initial top notes calms down. To me, it’s not a spring to summer perfume, it’s for autumn. It’s quite nice for a girls’ day out but for me this isn’t a date night perfume.

SayakaP

The most beautiful perfume ever made.

This is my second posting. In the first one, I wrote that it's fantastic, but doesn't work on me.
It was 9 years ago I met AE for the first time on a stranger. Fell in love, bought a little bottle and got disappointed.

On Boxing day, I tried this again on my wrist at Clinique counter...and experienced the most joyous thing. Now, 9 years later, AE flourished on my skin as it's meant to be!
I stayed with the scent the day, then went back to the shop next day and bought a 45ml bottle.

My NOSE didn't change. I ALWAYS adored AE when I smelled it on other ladies.
My SKIN evolved into ... AE compatible.

On my skin, Bergamot, Camomile & Carnation are really pronounced.
It surprised me how floral it is on me. It's much more floral and soft than it smells on piece of paper or fabric. Similar impression to Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere or Balenciaga Paris. (just partly --- it's still unique AE)
When I sniff my skin closely, I can see Patchouli, Moss & other herbs are supporting the scents above.

Overall, AE is serene, tranquil, sensual & mature perfume.

A Happy New Year.

Nuitdenoel
Nuitdenoel

Everyone has that one fragrance they smell, and this is it for me. I mean, I love Youth Dew, but AE is just so me. This is my signature scent.

To my nose, it does smell rather harsh in the beginning. I really get the mossy, earth smell, but somehow it isn't pleasant for me. My husband told me it smells like cat urine immediately after being sprayed. If one holds tight, though, and waits a few minutes, the magic begins to happen.

The initial unpleasant notes transform into a slightly floral, slightly herbal, beautiful scent. As other reviewers have more eloquently stated, this is truly a chemistry based perfume...it will either work or it won't. I find it is not as pronounced a fragrance as YD.

I am a personal trainer and I rarely wear scents to the gym, but I wore it the other day, worried it might be too much but my colleagues couldn't smell it unless I held my wrist right under their noses. Also, I am only 35, so this is definitely for all age ranges.

hounddog
hounddog

many, many years ago, I walked into a huge one-room store. the moment I entered the door, I could smell a beautiful perfume. since i'm a perfume freak, I followed the smell which was not hard to do b/c only one woman, the salesperson, was in the store at the time. I asked what she had on; Clinique aromatics elixir. I went right out to try some on, liked it, and bought it. it has been my signature perfume ever since. I get more compliments on that perfume than any other I wear. better yet, my whole family associates that smell with me whenever they smell it anywhere. I love it!

benpaul12
benpaul12

I was at the gym the other day and smelt something you wouldn't normally smell at the gym - something this heady, dark and warm. I managed to figure out who it was coming from and was intrigued enough to go and ask.

Initially I thought it was similar to Gres by Cabochard, but not so chilly, then I was running through possibilities like Cinnabar et. al.

I went up to the woman and asked her what she was wearing. She told me it was this and her first reaction was "is it too strong?" and I said "No. It smells amazing."

granadila
granadila

I went into one of the departmental stores today, my mission was not on perfume sampling though.for some reason I found myself standing aimlessly on the clinique counter, when I finally came back to my senses I just grabbed a bottle of perfume that was closest and sprayed some on my rist didn't even check the name but I noted the bottle shape. That was @9 am about an hour later I was doing the dishes and ah there was this nice scent which kept on filling my nose but couldn't figure out what it was, for some reason I move my hand past my face then it downed on me that that the nice scent I was smelling all along was the clinique perfume. I think the hot water I was washing the dishes with warmed my hand and thereby activating this wonderful scent. It smells devine on me I am going to look for a bottle its 5pm now and it still smells devine on my wrist. I had to search for this perfume using the bottle

LisaMari
LisaMari

I really like it. Its very warm and woody - reminds me of church and school.. like a frankincense fruity resin scent

Saltaire
Saltaire

Having read some enthusiastic reviews about this one I tried it yesterday at a Müller’s store. I quite liked the top / initial notes: Very fresh and green. But after half an hour the scent changed and I realized that I was smelling exactly like a colleague whose new scent I literally abhor: It smells like baby powder or some body lotion (Nivea?) When she’s wearing it, I have to move away or leave the room. It smells clean and somehow intimate at the same time. It’s hard to describe, but I really, really can’t stand it. So, yesterday I smelled like this myself and all day long felt the urge to scrub an excess of imaginary body lotion from my wrists. Not nice. Could this be the patchouli/rose/jasmin? Does anybody have an idea which note is so overpowering in this scent?

I have no idea why, but the overall impression I get from Aromatics Elixir is balsamic vinegar.
If I take some time to think about what I'm smelling, I most definitely get the chamomile, patchouli and oakmoss. I detect lemon verbena somewhere in the background as well.
It's certainly unique and a tough one to pin down.

aliora
aliora

This is STRONG, but incredibly earthy to my nose. It reminds me of a foxy 60s-70s chick with her hair all done up ready to hit the discotheque.

But I can also see this on a peasant blouse wearing moon-worshipping kind of lady. I get lots of rose, patchouli and incense after the initial brashness. It opens up bitter sour, and LOUD, but if you give it 30 minutes or so, it develops quite beautifully. I found that it layers really well with my Sonoma Scent Studio Bois de Champagne, which is a warm ambery sandalwood kind of fragrance. Worn alone, it feels a little too sharp and slightly incomplete.

fayegiblin
fayegiblin

Not for the faint hearted...

I love this - it's what I consider a 'night out' perfume. Very definite and absolutely unique.

Nobody else quite smells like you do when you wear this - there's nothing fluffy and girly about it, its a womans parfum!

I've used this for years, always come back to it and always have some around. When you're not sure what else to use, but don't want 'ordinary' - use this!

A girl I worked with used to say I know when you have arrived in the room just by that heavenly smell.

The aroma's are hard to describe, so I won't try. It's heady, oriental, lasts forever, fills the room and people want to know who's wearing it.

Don't try it and be put off - sample it and see how you feel hours later, even the next day. If you spray it all over like I do with perfumes sometimes without thinking, your clothes smell great even after washing.

Not really for daytime unless you have a big day of some kind. It's definitely not light - so don't expect it to drift too far... it won't, but one bonus is that you won't need to reapply either.

10/10 for night time.
10/10 to impress.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I'm thinking of revisiting this gem. I originally bought this (blind) in a garage sale (unopened) for $2. Best $2 I've ever spent. It seems to agree with my chemistry. And I've always been a huge fan of the heavy scents.

pushkin1
pushkin1

I will always and have always loved this. Aromatics Elixir is an iconoclast in a sea of aquatic floral sugar water. I have a visceral positive reaction to this fragrance, but I find it hard to describe. To me, it smells like antique paper. Clean, antique paper in a wooden chest with some chammomile flowers tossed in. Perfection.

Eau de Toilette review:
A few things, this one is made in Switzerland, the Perfume is made in the US. The Oakmoss is not on the ingredients list at all, but the Treemoss is still there, far down on the list.

The bones of AE are all there, but the EDT opens much brighter, more soapy aldehyde than chamomile & sage, as it wears it feels more floral, and the base is woodier, the patchouli is a bit cleaner, the moss less prominent. The whole character is brighter, lighter, and more one dimensional. It is missing the whole darkness of the original, the musk, the earthy patchouli, the balsams, the dark roses, the fuzzy oakmoss.

As an EDT this smells good to me, but this is what I'd imagine they would 'reformulate' classic AE into, something stripped of her soul.

zayzay
zayzay

Aromatics Elixir has a green, fresh brightness of almost dizzying intensity, seeming lighter than air...but at its heart grows a mutinous dark rose, smelling like red wine on its bed of rich, earthy patchouli. The whole thing is bathed in balsamic notes of luminous beauty...there's nothing quite like it!!!

mystica

For the ladies who'd like to enjoy AE but feel unfortunate due to their chemistry:
Remember once more that this perfume is very strong, hence the sillage (and the smell) will be different than you would dig your nose into your wrist. It may smell overwhelming -even bad- to you if you do so, but ask others' opinion too!
As a loyal wearer of AE since years, I sometimes can't resist the temptation of indulging in it, and even then -when it smells overwhelming or too patchouly to me- one lady had said that I smelt very clean and gorgeous. Without me realizing the sillage had filled the room. So whereas I may feel almost intoxicated due to the strong chamomile note projecting from my neck and wrists to my nose, the perfume smells fresh, clean and green at the other end of the room to another nose.
In any case though you first have to be enough comfortable with AE.

Moonflower2012
Moonflower2012

I love this, but only on other people! It was given to me for a birthday present and I found it overwhelming, just too much. I felt self conscious while I wore it, like there was nowhere to hide, I couldn't ever fade into the background with this perfume on. It's a fragrance that announces, 'Ta-da! Here I am!' I never realised quite what I shrinking violet I was until I tried wearing this.

I gave the perfume to my mother, who immediately adopted it as her signature scent, and 10 years later, she still wears no other perfume. That makes it very easy for me when it's time to buy her a gift!!

I really love this scent and wish I could wear it but for me, it's as much about personality as skin chemistry. It works for people who are bright and confident and don't mind being noticed. One day, maybe, it'll work for me, too!

Edit:- while I don't enjoy wearing this, I do like to have the fragrance around me. I think that the answer is the scented candle. I wouldn't even light it, I'd just allow the fragrance to diffuse from the unlit wax. A compromise that I could be very happy with!

Further edit - I was sent a tiny free sample when I bought my mother's Christmas present. I wear it occasionally, using tiny quantities. Even in small amounts, it has a far reach and is noticed. I notice the incense notes more, when I wear less of it. I'm almost out of the sample now and think I might buy a small bottle for myself. I just have to remember to never spray on too much!

SweetTxGal
SweetTxGal

This one is polarizing -- it either loves your body chemistry, or it doesn't. The first spritz, if too generous, can knock you across the room. However, if applied judiciously, or if you use the lotion/shower gel combo instead, this can smell heavenly. Vetiver, chypre, grass, and flowers...great for those who can wear it!

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

When I was 19, I became a Clinique fanatic. I delved into their skincare diligently. I even allowed an SA to give me a makeover one evening before a date with my future husband one summer evening. (Oh the horrors of that make-up job she did-I still remember wanting to scrub it off!) I sprayed myself with Aromatics Elixir that night and went off to meet my guy. I remember not particularly enjoying this perfume and I am a hard-core patchouli fan from back-in-the-day. I never wore it again. It was an unpleasant aroma to me.
Fast forward to today. After receiving another sample, I happily put this on, thinking I might recapture a time, a moment, a memory. How wrong of me to think so. This formulation is so weak, so linear on me that I keep wondering where has the glory gone? Certainly there must be something in this perfume that would stick to my chemistry to give me something to extoll its virtues? After all, so many love this. After numerous attempts, nothing has changed. Dirty patchouli, stale perfume odor and gone in an hour (thankfully). It does remind me of one other scent-dirty laundry.
This Elixir doesn't cure my ills. It brings them on. It didn't work back then and it still doesn't now.

SayakaP

This is my "Not for me, but fantastic on others" fragrance.

First I caught a lady in a department store to ask what she was wearing. She gave me the name and I bought a small bottle.

But it didn't work on me.....It didn't feel belong to me.

Years have past since. I don't know how many times I caught the same gorgeous whiff in town and felt jealous. LOL

You lucky ladies who can wear this scent as it meant to be, keep going & let me at least enjoy it on you ;-)

I tried this one many times along the years. I think that EdP and EdT smell different but in both cases I found it awful!
Then it happened a few times to meet ladies with a great ladylike and intriguing scent around them and needed to ask. In 4-5 cases it was Aromatic Elixir!
OMG! Is that possible? Yes.
It smells gorgeous, enveloping, warm herbal and complex on some and crap on me.
Test before buying. It seems that chemistry plays a big role here.

spookyjan
spookyjan

I recently bought this perfume,whilst in the airport in spain.Have used it before an I love it, had my bottle since 2008.Theone I bought in spain is made in Switzerland I noticed!!!is this the reason as some have said on here that it is nothing like the pre 2010 formulation.I know this perfume well have used it many times,as soon as I tried this on I knew it was not he same,it lacks depth it once had,an my husband could not smell it on me. more the fact nobody else could either.It is so sad that the perfumes from the era that we loved have paled in comparison lately.I feel cheated,to lose such a beautiful aroma this perfume once was.

eveclair

This fragrance absolutely must be compatible with your skin chemistry, and i am lucky enough that it is compatible with mine. This perfume is powerful, individual and sophisticated, and very sexy. Reminds me slightly of earth, mounds of spices and high quality incense. It starts as overpowering and herbal, and settles down to sweet warm wonderfulness.

NMWS76
NMWS76

This is my mom's signature fragrance. She's almost 67. I can always easily find it but apparently no one else, not even mature women we know wear it or have ever heard of it before we tell them. It suits my mom so well, it's unexpected yet goes well with her classy/modern/boheme style. She's been a Clinique loyal since her airhostess days (when they were still called that)and this was the recommended brand for job cosmetics and fragrances for job wear and it was in the middle of her hostess years she first found this fragrance, then couldn't find it for years and then I found it five years ago.

I'm 30 years younger. I don't feel that I can pull it off but even if I could, I wouldn't "steal" my mom's signature!

varykino
varykino

This past week has turned colder and overcast, and I've re-acquainted myself with an old friend: Aromatics Elixir. Autumn, perhaps even more so than winter, feels perfect for AE's combination of strictness and warmth. I feel that AE presents a stern front, but hides a soft heart, and wearing it always makes me feel armoured, somehow, and respectable (because let's face it, even well into the last half of my 40's, I sometimes feel like everyone can see through that flimsy 'grown-up' act...).

Aromatics Elixir is an old love, from before I took a deeper interest in perfume, and it's weird to me that despite my current cautious relationship to patchouli, AE was instant love and has remained so. The patchouli is stronger here than in many of the fruitchoulis I abhor, after all. I've reached the conclusion that I enjoy patchouli only when it's got restrained and sober company: the dry herbs and dark rose, the oakmoss and the smooth sandalwood of AE being the perfect illustration. It's sexy, yet dignified. Perhaps it's strange to use words like 'restrained' and 'sober' about a fragrance that can be so intense, but I do make the effort not to overspray. I use Clinique's old advice of spraying it into the air and stepping into the spray (catching some on a scarf is perfect), but usually I'm tempted to add an additional spray to my wrists and dab it at my neck. So, one and a half sprays all in all, basically. That way, it makes its presence known all day long, without shouting, and is so uniquely beautiful.

happygeisha
happygeisha

why oh WHY have the gods damned my chemistry with this one!? every year i try and try again to be accepted by this cocktail of odd juice and year after year it rejects me. *SOB* i've gone as far as to walk around the department store for hours at a time, cellophane sealed box clutched in hand, credit card at the ready... patiently *sniff sniffing* my wrists in intervals and BLECH... it just WON'T LOVE ME. why elixir??? what have i ever done to you but want your odd embrace! i dejectedly return the box and hope that next year will be the year we fall in love.

mellbell56
mellbell56

I have indulged in AE since it's inception when I worked the Clinique counter in high school. I still indulge to this day! It was the first of it's kind in "chemistry scents". It must react with your body chemistry, so, not for everybody. I happen to wear it well and the compliments prove it! A little goes a long way! I suggest you spritz at counter and walk through the mist. That's all you need for up to sixteens hours of scent. A winner for me...but again not for everyone.

patchouliboy

AE stops me in my tracks when i smell it on someone in public. i LOVE it! it's my signature scent...so comforting and lovely! a gift from the fragrance gods!

kmlundgren
kmlundgren

Winkibat, yes, well said!
Strong women worshipping the Moon wear Aromatics Elixir. I am in awe of this scent.

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

Delicious strong lemony herby loveliness.

EmmaKalemma
EmmaKalemma

I only discovered this fragrance in 1990!! I spritzed a bit from a tester in a store. Well....even after washing my jumper....I was thrilled that I could still smell it.
Wow!! I love this stuff. Another firm favorite.

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

Like others here, I got a little vial of this as a GWP when I was a teenager. For me it always smelled spicy and herbal – I was fascinated by how dissimilar it was to the other perfumes my mother owned, and the sweet scents marketed to young girls.

The vial lived in my bag for ages as my 'emergency perfume' – you know, the one you put on when you're feeling sticky and gross late in the day but you have to go out that night and you want to seem sophisticated.

I was always surprised when other people complimented me on it, as it's never been a personal favourite and I've always felt like I was dressing in someone else's clothes when I wore it. But it's definitely bold and striking.

Chantal
Chantal

Winkibat, you hit the nail on the head!

This is a recent discovery for me, and already I'm dazzled. I love what Winkibat says about it:

"It's like a forest floor, it's like an old castle, it's old books, musty attics, fragrant spice cupboards" ... "potent brew of oakmoss, herbs, an incense" ... "admittedly unfeminine herbal smell."

I agree. It isn't feminine. It smells like a season, a place, the pages of an old musty book (I love the smell of musty books!) I'm wearing it now, and I smell like... Autumn. It's amazing. It's churchy, incense-y, musty, herbasccious, earthy, spicy - all these super-familiar and comforting aromas that have nothing to do with a pretty bottle sitting primly on a woman's vanity. It's very real, and because it comes from a place of clarity and truth, anyone can wear it, men too.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

I agree Winkibat, everybody should respect the artistry of the composition! Aromatic Elixir is really a masterpiece

winkibat
winkibat

Another fragrance that is really making me reevaluate my likes and dislikes. To be honest, I bought a small decant of this based on the bad reviews here. Call it masochistic curiosity; "how bad is it?" For me, not bad at all.

More confession: When reading reviews, I used to roll my eyes a little about overblown, dramatic, poetic descriptions. I won't anymore. I understand now. This perfume makes me all poetic. It's like a forest floor, it's like an old castle, it's old books, musty attics, fragrant spice cupboards.

I expected to hate this. I thought I liked florals and sweeter smells. I thought I'd hate this potent brew of oakmoss, herbs, an incense. Turns out I love it. I like that its strong, I like the admittedly unfeminine herbal smell, I think I might love oakmoss. I feel like this is one of those classic perfume that, even if you hate the smell, you should respect the artistry of the composition.

lil_odessa
lil_odessa

I have the most recent iteration (the parfum spray), and I absolutely love it. To conform to IFRA rules, the oak and tree mosses are a much smaller part of the composition, and the herbal-floral character much more prominent. The opening is so reminiscent of ice wine to me (an unexpected litchi note!); I'm thinking it has to be the chamomile and geranium together. The florals are also more noticeable than I remembered in older formulations, and the iris and woods seem less powdery and dry. In all, a nicely fresh interpretation of a 70s chypre grande dame.

Thatkid
Thatkid

This is perhaps the worst perfume I have ever encountered. I have been wanting to catch a sniff of this for some time and a few days back my boyfriend and I were at the mall and I sprayed this, what a mistake. It smells like a bad Victorian perfume that's been sitting in a hot, musty attic for 150 years and just decaying. I washed it off and it was still unbearable.

July 29th, 2013

psergi
psergi

I have used it for at least 25 years and, if sometimes I try something else, I always come back to it. I just love it!

perfumeaddiction

This is one of those fumes that absolutely has to go with your chemistry. It's also one of those perfumes that you do not want to spray on your clothing. On your clothing the scent will not change and will be overpowering. On the skin it takes on a whole new smell which can either be good or bad based on your skin chemistry. For me it develops into a very lovely unique spice. One squirt ladies - this is not the kind you spray 4 or 5 times to make sure it stays... this WILL stick around so go light. I think the mistake many make with this scent is they overdoe it... this one has to be gently applied. And if it works with your chemistry you will smell fantastic.

RobbieX

Gorgeous powerful women's scent. Smells clean, soapy and fresh - love this one!

Yvondeko
Yvondeko

It's a delightful perfume, reminds me at good times.

FranFran
FranFran

The review below makes me want to cry for some reason, and I'm now inspired to try this out, sounds perfect for me! I have smelt this on my grandmother, and I instantly picked out a similarity with pure poison, but I now see it doesn't have much. I was expecting something powerful mixed with gardenia actually, with orange blossom. Odd how our noses pick up all these. Can't wait to test this on my skin!

sweetviolet
sweetviolet

I agree with others reviews you either love or hate this perfume, I use to wear this in the early 80's. It smells earthy and classy and last a long time. It is what the name says it's aromatic. I've seen the add and it was sold as a non allergenic perfume then. To me it has an over all earthy soil woody smell. With a skight pepper smell. Just because a scent has been around awhile doesn't mean it's dated, it just means it's that good to be on the market all the years. Unlike some others that come and go. Bold and sophisticated that's AE!

Beepert
Beepert

I can't really analyse this one objectively. To me it really is an elixir, a potion, a witch's brew that has an effect on the mind and spirit - as perfumes should. It soothes me and makes me feel strong; very zen.
This beautiful fragrance will fill an entire house, let alone a room. The trick is to spritz a couple of times in the air and then to 'walk into the mist', which is such a lovely phrase in itself. The fragrance will settle beautifully on your skin, hair and clothes, and stick with you in a wonderful, shimmering cloud all day.
It envelops, it enchants, it elevates. When I wear this I feel like I'm walking a few inches above the ground.

itsallgood
itsallgood

My mother-in-law wore this scent for twenty years and she was wearing it the night she died, peacefully with her grown children and their children nearby after a Christmas party. She was happy that night, lay her head back, took a last breath, and passed away. Simply, quietly, and forever. She often drenched herself in this perfume which drove me nuts sometimes because too much of this perfume takes you way over the top. But when I see this bottle or catch a whiff of this scent, it takes me home, to her house.

an.jorePipip
an.jorePipip

Like other classic perfumes, Aromatics Elixir needs to be developed on your body...give it a time to bloom and you will feel its warmth, pleasant and sensual smell that will give you relax. I thank my friend who gave me this perfume, it is a masterpiece!

lupereira
lupereira

Ok, I dislike it, but there is something on it that makes me feel a classic legend, someone with sophisticated take, or something like that. I don't know why but is like a time travel. Maybe this scent was not for olfactory experience, but for other senses picked up by the brain. Yes, only one spray, it lasts and doesn't please any nose.

andreadutra
andreadutra

I wear it to stay at home, because I feel it can be aggressive to others, very concentrated and strong. To me it has a healing effect. It has a sexy, hypnotising, opening magic effect. Makes me sharper and vivid. Sometimes I do find it an old ladies scent, though, powdery. A drop is enough. As I live in Rio, a very hot city, I spray it in the air, once, and walk into the perfume mist. Sometimes I even spray it only once on a cotton swab, and then apply it very carefully on micro dots behind ears and neck. I'd hate to "print" someone else with my perfume. I hate it when it happens to me!

spindrift
spindrift

AE is one of my all time favourites. I come back to it time and again after experimenting with all the new rave fragrances - the fizz bombs, the sherbet lemons and the little-girl florals. I've tried Luca Turin's 5-star listings and Jan Moran's best friends' recommendations, and still I prefer AE's rich, warm, dark wood-and-patchouli lushness when I want to feel special.
I Like Estee lauder's Private Collection too!

chirobi
chirobi

I was gifted a bottle of Aromatics Elixir earlier this year, and it's been sitting in my "Undecided" pile while I get to know it a little better. I can tell that it is a quality perfume so I didn't want to toss it out, just not something I would usually pick out for myself. I also match my scent to my outfits; having a hard time matching AE to anything I have.

Part the the getting-to-know-it-better process is a thorough background check on this site. I had never heard of AE, and was surprised to find reviews from such opposite ends of the spectrum--the two camps divided by what appears to be mainly a difference in age. To be frank, I don't feel this perfume suits those under 30 (just based on what I liked during my twenties). Obviously, age isn't the only determining factor, but it is a factor. Yet, I see here that many reviewers have started wearing AE when they were in their 20s. Therefore, AE shouldn't be called an "old ladies' scent." People's tastes are subject to trends, and these trends have a place in history. Twenty years from now, perhaps the ones who think this is old will have to defend their perfumes against a younger generation.

As for my own opinion on Aromatics Elixir: it's special and complex, and I enjoy the experience of wearing, but it's a bit too overwhelming to wear on a normal basis, and I don't feel like it's "me" as I'm not a fan of chypres. As one reviewer below mentioned, the Made in USA EDT version is better. Unfortunately, I have the Made in Switzerland EDP.

Part the the getting-to-know-it-better process is a thorough background check on this site. I had never heard of AE, and was surprised to find reviews from such opposite ends of the spectrum, the two camps divided by what appears to be an age difference. To be frank, I don't feel this perfume suites those under 30 (just based on what I liked during my twenties). Obviously, age isn't the only determining factor, but it is a factor. Yet, I see here that many reviewers have started wearing AE when they were in their 20s. Therefore, AE shouldn't be called an "old ladies's scent." People's tastes are subject to trends, and these trends have a place in history. Twenty years from now, perhaps the ones who think this is old, will have to defend their perfumes against a younger generation.

As for my own opinion on Aromatics Elixir: it's special and complex, and I enjoy the experience of wearing, but it's a bit too overwhelming to wear on a normal basis, and I don't feel like it's "me". As one reviewer below mentioned, the Made in USA EDT version is better. Unfortunately, I have the Made in Switzerland EDP.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

I won't speak about notes or development, excellent previous reviews have done that already.It is pecfect. Aligned in my wardrobe with Youth Dew not because I feel them equal but because the share a complexity and an unbeatable dark spicy drydown like no others that I know.

I always think of it as an exquisite syrup that has like just some a few other scents, the ability to cure me when I'm specially sad and blue in long hard winter days and nights. It is its incredible beauty that reminds me that though most human beings can feel unable, mediocre and lost, there is a chance in all of us of becoming a Rembrant a Goya a Bach or a Chant whose heritage can help to believe in life and humankind.

It is a baroque composition, all about emotions, reserved to those of us who can't avoid the intensity of our own feelings.

littlepepperz
littlepepperz

I'm not going to review this scent, but what I am going to say is that I heard of a very interesting way of applying it - got it from a youtube fragrance 'guru', Katie Puckrick. And I do trust her!

What she suggests is to spray just ONE spray on the small of your back. Just one spritz. She also says that you shouldn't spray it in the 'northern' region of your body (wrists, chest, neck)and that it will evolve to something wonderful that way. Elixr al of a sudden made sense to me!

It is a grown up, woody, complex scent that's been around for years. I have a candle version and I don't mind it in the room at all, it's very subtle and woody, like a tree with plenty of sap, but it didn't work well on my body. However Katie's way of applying it made me think that it might be worth another try.

pippab
pippab

There have been a few delicate and intriguing changes to Aromatics Elixir over time, but it's a fragrance I've worn forever. It has a voluptuous lingering depth that is all sophiscation and class.

I don't detect any powderiness at all, rather it has very little sweetness, and instead a spicy and herbal radiance. Yes, there's some rose in the background and just as well, because I'm not a lover of bold rose fragrances, but there's just enough here to make it interesting. I find it to be a voluptuous, sultry offering which will always take pride of place on my dresser. One of the few non-French fragrances I love.

doormouse1
doormouse1

Absolutely beautiful.

I only hope those who are screeching 'old lady scent' revisit this in a few years when their passion for perfumes that smell like fruit sweets and fizzy drinks has waned and they are ready for something more adult.

Lara517
Lara517

I simply refuse to believe that anyone would actually like to smell like Clinique's Aromatics Elixir! I reeks of something quite medicinal, like something I once had to apply to my horses leg when he was sore.
This junk is also too expensive for the stench it provides. I can't think of one single woman that I could give this stuff to, no one would like this Clinique product!
Not for everyone, is an understatement!!

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

I bought this on a whim from Sephora because it's been around so long, and I had never tried it. Wow, okay, takes me back to the 70's 1970's, haha and when I would smell and older rich lady. It's nice and all, but totally so old world. And I hate saying that because you could say timeless too. It's good for certain women. Like the lady working at the B. Brothers store who is still all dressed up perfect like she was in the early 60's with her suit and heels and nylons. I can almost imagine Nancy Reagan wearing this. I digress. Basically what I'm saying without writing "Love and Peace", it is a timeless classic. I am not. I use mine to spray around the room once in a blue moon. I would never wear this. It's not gross on me, I don't' hate it. It has a pleasant enough rich smell to it. I guess I'm never going to grow old gracefully. Because I'd rather wear cotton candy outside, than this. This is so 70's. Old lady with wrinkles and money 70's. I have more than half a bottle left if interested.
EDIT: Well, I don't mean that in a bad way. I just read to wear a small spritz on your back and it's doable. Anyway, it still does remind me of the 1970's which is my era. So my first review was rather screechy. It's not that bad, it's just I have found others I enjoy more. This would be good for certain days....

Aromatics Elixir has always been an unusual fragrance, and I could not love it more for being just that. I've worn this for a long time, and I find I love it more with each passing year. It is so completely dated to the 1970's, and because I am obsessed with everything from that decade, it is only fitting that I took to this fragrance instantly. I have this thing for patchouli, can't get enough of the stuff. Aromatics has a lot of patchouli, along with the strong rose, jasmine and oakmoss. It smells like walking in old woods...haunted woods...the woods of The Neverending Story with the talking trees and trolls. I always thought this to be a fitting signature for Witchiepoo.

My favorite time to wear Aromatics Elixir is when a storm is riding in. The next couple of days in Texas are going to be really dark and stormy, so I'll be wearing this '71 classic and listening to "Nightmares" by A Flock Of Seagulls".

suhaesa

its a true perfume.. in this time and age we live in.. where perfumes have lost their identities.. and perfuminess...elixer is a true master piece ..a perfumers perfume..a historicala chievment in perfumery..a perfume that should be owned by every perfume entheusiast..
elixer has a sharp.. freen..greenish..chypre.. floral. aromatic.. spicy.. woodsy ..oriental.. french..vibrant charechter..its a bit balmy.. and heady..hedoine...its truely one of a kind ..it can be a bit harsh.. or masculine..it can be used by both sexes ..it really depends on your skin.. and how it reacts with elixer.. ..something about it is healing.. or feels like you are in a spa..a far eastern holistic spa.. or a ritual for making natural perfumes..its as close as you can get to natural perfumery ..very french though.. like many of the carons.. especially french canon.. and a bit of madam rochas.. with fidji guy laroch..also i smell a bit of amouage jubulation for women..so you are smelling some of the great legends of perfumery in to one ..you must have the heart to ware it with confidence and it wont let you down..
the perfume is strong ..is mesmarising..is very elegant ..tall..and big..you will be noticed with aw and repect.. wherever you go..more on the dry side.. smells like it has dry gin..smells very aromatic.. floral.. chypre.. but not the overly sweet annoying white jasmine bombs..it is a an explosive perfume.. as if you have unleashed a beast.. with the strenght of a giant.. and the sensuality of a mermaid..its a truely unique perfume.. with so many diffrent facets..you get the sharp chypre.. dry notes.. and the flowery notes.. and the patchulie ..and woodsy.. notes..make such an emense luch garden of accords.. to carry the whole composition..it dries down beautifully.. turning in to something more subtle.. more powedery ..perfumy..smokey.. woodsy..and sensuale..give it time.. let it mingle with your skin.. and work its magic..once.. twice.. by the third time you use it you shall be on your way to another level of appreciating fine perfumery...
its a true elixer of life.. love.. and imortality..i feel i can see the sunrays within its accords.. shinging throwgh ..and warming the entire universe..its an uplifting perfume ..so perfumee ..so amazing...so serene..vibrant..and true..although i love the old formulations much more ..they were rounder ..fuller.. and more mellow..but the new ones are much lighter and less dramatic..and less velvety..
this review was about a new 100 ml one edp with the engraved flower bottle bought from harods knights bridge..
elixer wont let you down when it comes to longivity and sillage..and strength of charecter and power..and mesmerization and seensuality i know many find it too masculine but you truely have to reconsider and try at diffrent times of the month it depens on your hormones too ..and skin type..

perfume ratting 4.6 out 5
bottle ratting 4 .3 out 5
my personal liking scale 4.5 out 6

magickmaven
magickmaven

I respect this scent, but can't wear it. Maybe it's the sage but this perfume never stopped smelling like a chemical spill on me. It was awful.

Yes, it's sophisticated, complex and bold. Everything that I would like or love about a perfume. But not on this skin.

Don't let your age influence you when trying this. Let your mood and the mood you want to CREATE around you influence you. None of the ladies in MY church wear this with any frequency.

lcommisso
lcommisso

This perfume is a classic, but it is also the end all be all "old church lady" perfume. It is distinctive, long lasting, and can only be pulled off by someone who has an AARP card. I wish Clinique would come out with more fragrances.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

nopasho! you said it all about this timeless, precious one! Thank you!

Rougesang
Rougesang

Magari non sarò in grado di apprezzare questo profumo ma devo ammettere che lo detesto, lo trovo amaro e con un sentore insopportabile, mi dà fastidio al punto che una volta dopo averlo provato mi sono precipitata a fare una doccia per togliermelo dalla pelle.

patchouliboy

this is one of my all time favourite fragrances BUT i've noticed that my new bottle of AE has NO staying power compared to my previous one. i hope the reformulated juice has not altered AE's lovely effects too dramatically!

Mushana
Mushana

My roommate wore it and I hated it! Twelve years later my mother wore it and managed to soften the notes into some powdery sweet something that calms your nerves on the roughest day. So now I wear it, it's a bit sharp on my skin, a little offensive and it doesn't help that I wear it in abundance...but I really don't care I love it! It doesn't pretend to be what it isn't and you love it or hate it....mwaaaa

leeleeB
leeleeB

This is not a review of said perfume... Just a comment. I work in healthcare and a lovely co-worker either wore this or youth dew. Obviously just showered and sprayed, she would waltz in to the nursing station and would literally fill the space with her perfume!! Not horrible but way too strong for our line of work! Not a fragrance to be worn around sick individuals, migraine suffering co-workers and allergy suffers. Someone reported her for her perfume since said individual suffered a migraine from it and others allergies.... Needless to say that is when we became a fragrance free workplace. (no harsh shampoos,body washes and deodorants ) allowed. I on the other hand don't adhere to this rule totally, but I am cautious about what I choose to wear.

I will have to try both of these fragrances since the love hate reviews of both them are rather interesting!! I want to see what all the hype is about.

lettyb76
lettyb76

I liked it a lot the first time I smelled it on someone, but now my coworker wears it everyday. It's really strong and all I can smell now is patchouli. It could be her body chemistry (since she's pregnant). Nevertheless, I don't like it anymore.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

On me this has a Sisley vibe underlined with the sexiness of Opium EdT... not that it smells anything like the previous, but, wow, I never thought I could wear something like this. Now has come the time where I finally feel like I can. I already own Sisley Soir de lune and Eau du soir, but wear them only in the house because I just know people at work will give me the "old lady" reference...ugghhhhhh.

It opens up warm and nice with a certain sweetness that reminds me of patchouli/honey. It then becomes much more aromatic and dry after a few minutes... just before the flowers arrive. The dry down is timeless and discreet.... kind of refreshing in its own dry way. A single spray is enough imo. Smells like aromatherapy in a bottle.... don't expect to smell like candy or fields of Spring flowers with this one!

For lovers of oakmoss and aromatics... people who love the smell of a dirty, decaying forest floor and cooking herbs!! the aldehydes are not overwhelming in this one as I had feared. I'm happy! I keep on getting wafts of a warm countryside summer night... crickets and all!

Molliepops
Molliepops

I have to buy this at Christmas as my Mother-in-Law-To-Be (age 70) wears it. Quite why, I have yet to fathom, as it does not smell nice.

I steer well clear of the beauty-counter sprayers in department stores who ask if I want to try it - no thanks!!

I can't really catergorise whats so bad about it, except that to me, it smells like warm urine. It makes me gag.

URGH - YUK!!

maja314
maja314

When I bought a clinique skinlotion at the douglas store I received a sample of Aromatics Elixir. Tried it but it didn't really get to me then. When visiting a friend I still carried the sample in my handbag and accidentally someone stepped on my handbag and crushed it, best thing that ever happened!! When I picked it up I noticed the sample had been crushed but I also noticed the heavenly patchouli scent coming out of my handbag. I then knew I just had to have it. Divine. First 30 ml went really fast, I sprayed it on me like a madmen. Did not realize then that it has an enormous sillage, and wanted to save the last drops for future special nights ;-). Enter my sister: She was visiting me and tried all my perfumes, saying; 'I'll spray a new perfume on me every day when I'm here'. The day she wore Aromatics Elixir I understood I should not have been spraying it as much as I had done, it lasts all day and night. Patchouli. I love the opening, it's dry and wry, grassy and green. It's offputting but in a way that makes you want to smell more. Soapy. Then it develops in to a 'fresh' (mint, cucumber, thyme) oily base which procedes very nicely into the earthy patchouli. Really cannot get anything better than this. Have not yet found my signature fragrance but it will have to compete with this one. It is on my shortlist next to Chanels' Allure Sensuelle, J'adore by Dior, Shalimar and Heritage by Guerlain and Tom Ford Black Orchid.
Edit: Just realized that the 'fresh' mint, cucumber and thyme must be the chamomile, verbena and sage (it's just the way how I smell the different notes) and I do smell the geranium now too. Lovely scent, keeps on surprising me.

Perfumepaparazzi
Perfumepaparazzi

My auntie wore this all the time when I was a child and I didn't hate it but I just knew the scent and that it smelled like her. I had a lovely childhood with great memories so this perfume has a place in my heart and I have a massive soft spot for it because I was surrounded by this scent at the time. Not everyone can wear it or stand it and it isn't friendly to everyone but it has personality and charm and can sometimes offend but it is a classic and isn't like any other - all the characteristics of my auntie. If you use too much, it can cause a massive headache so, really, one spray is quite enough. Using in small doses is enough which is what a lot of people also say about my auntie lol but I love her never the less and my love for this perfume is the same too. I don't want to cause offense to the perfume or the people who love it but I occasionally use it as car perfume as it smells so sensual and dark and all the notes really come up in the heat and cold in the car. It's so strong that it gets rid of all the odours that have built up over the years. It's quite fantastic. I'm 23 by the way. This isn't the usual option for a 23 year old, but I'm trying to make myself suit the perfume but I think I look too juvenile for the moment.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Aromatics Elixir is one of the most disgustingly delectable fragrances ever committed to scent.

Everything is absolutely wrong with it.

It is too sharp, too bitter, too sage, too hard.

It has too much oakmoss, too much darkness in the patchouli, a too chemical edge to the aldehydes and too much dirty wood smoke.

Too much everything and then some.

It really is the tough spinster with a terrible past who lives on the hill.

But it is unspeakably wonderful at exactly the same time.

It works precisely because it shouldn't

Just as according to the rules of physics the bumble bee shouldn't fly so according to the teachings perfumery this fragrance should never take flight, and yet the scent soars.

Rules 0. The Clinique All Star Bumble Bees 2.

Oh and as for the regulations concerning men's and women's perfume? Late goal. Anyone with a personality as big as this bold old gal has earned the right to fill a room with it.

I make that a three nil win for Bees and Elixirs.

owensandlaurensmama
owensandlaurensmama

This is such a nice fragrance. I wore it years ago but had to stop because unfortunately it caused me to have headaches. I do sometimes use the body lotion sparingly. That's how much I love it. It has such a lasting scent and is really different from any other fragrance. A little really goes a long way. I recommend this to anyone.

To my great surprise, I have been won over to the Clinique AROMATICS ELIXIR cult. For years, I scoffed at the very concept of a Clinique perfume--weren't they the company that eschewed all fragrance in their skin line? So what in the world were they doing producing not only a fragrance but an incredibly potent "perfume spray"?! No, I stayed very far away and was further deterred from visiting the Clinique perfume counter (a contradiction in terms!) by my sister's "gift" of about a dozen HAPPY minis which she had received in GWPs. Clearly, I thought, Clinique had no business meddling in perfume.

After reading so many glowing reviews of AROMATICS ELIXIR by so many of my favorite reviewers, and also being intrigued by the naysayers, I finally coughed up the modest sum for a bottle. Initially I was shocked at the chamomile opening: sour and unpleasant, to put it mildly. I compared the scent in my mind to a variety of former classics whose reformulations have been less than felicitous: Balenciaga (now Ted Lapidus) RUMBA, Emmanuel Ungaro DIVA (the eau de toilette), the list goes on and on. I was ready to head for the bath, when it happened.

Suddenly AROMATICS ELIXIR had struck a harmonic chord with my nose. The sour chamomile and bitter grass had managed to blend in with the patchouli and a million other rich floral and chypre notes to produce a gloriously rich cloud of, well, aromatic elixir! So now, believe it or not, after being totally put off by the opening, I have fallen head over heels in love with this stuff!

Anyone who loves patchouli--and one must, to wear this composition--needs to get their nose on AROMATICS ELIXIR. It is the perfect respite from all of the fruitchouli and ANGELESQUE perfumes, offering the patchouli without the caramel or the fruity syrup. AROMATICS ELIXIR is much closer to unreformulated LA PERLA, to give an indication of its integrity. It is strong beyond belief, and I am not sure whether I'll ever wear this creation outside my house, but it is a dream to wear and enjoy in the privacy of my home, especially late at night after a long, hot bath.

I noticed one night before retiring that I must have been experiencing olfactory fatigue, because I considered reapplying right before going to sleep. I opted not to, and when I woke up I discovered that my pajamas were seriously redolent of the scent. This is an advisory caution to those who wear AROMATICS ELIXIR in public venues: the fact that you are not detecting it does not mean that others will not! If you prefer not to be pegged by the naysayers--those poor souls who have yet to see the AROMATICS ELIXIR light--as "an old lady", I'd advise wearing this perfume very sparingly in public, or else reserving it for your private use at home where you can apply with reckless abandon. ;-)

Why is this perfume so beautiful? I do believe that it has a magical effect upon one's mind. AROMATICS ELIXIR epitomizes both luxury and comfort. Wearing it is like being wrapped in piles of cashmere on a frosty winter day. Gorgeous! I love it! In fact I love it so much that this past holiday season I purchased the special edition flower-embossed bottle, which, it turns out, is produced in Switzerland, not the United States. Both formulations smell and wear wonderfully on me, and I believe that this perfume is much better than hundreds of niche offerings at two, three, or even four times the price.

For savory patchouli lovers only!

LittleRed
LittleRed

I think I might love this so much that I'm a little stunned. From the first spray, I knew this required patience, understanding, and time, but I also knew immediately that it was special. Yes, it was one of those. So I waited. It just became deeper and more complex as time passed. This development continued for hours.

Herbaceous woods and rich soil threaded with dry spicy florals and thick, satisfying, no-nonsense patchouli. Really, could I have asked for anything more? How much more could I want anyway? This is IT.

The appropriateness of this fragrance has nothing whatsoever to do with age, it is all about chemistry. On my skin, the notes are distinct yet harmonious, never straying out of tune. Nothing bitter, nothing out of place, just the beautiful compexity of nature unravelling on my skin. If one is going to describe the mood of any perfume as being in a deep, dark, mystical forest surrounded by herbs, arid florals, and the smell of fresh earth, it fits none more perfectly than Aromatics Elixir. It certainly is a sensual, intoxicating brew.

It has an intensity that needs to be matched with appreciation, assertiveness, and confidence. It has strength and great sillage, and so the application method is not to be confused with airy, diluted fragrances where multiple spritzes fade in a few hours. One spray will do. Then let it settle, let it do its thing - you cannot demand obedience from this one. It is beautiful, intense, full of character, unique, unyielding to convention or trends. This one is a bit of a wild child in terms of character, she does what she pleases and you are along for the ride.

I feel like I "get" Aromatic Elixir. I love it immensely, and I'm really appreciative that they've always kept this one around so people could have the opportunity to experience it without searching for long lost vintage bottles.

Christina8809
Christina8809

Wow, you definitely either love or hate this one!!
It's very strong & in your face at first, and projection is incredible.

Personally, I adore this perfume. It took a little while to grow on me but now it has, I could see this become my Signature scent.
Whenever I've worn this, I've received a lot of compliments on it, which surprised me a little!
I find it intriguing to wear, I've never smelled anything quite like it before and it develops into something simply wonderful.
Such a refreshing change to all the fruity florals out there :)

rottannie

This is my most favorite perfume....the only one I own that doesn't leave me feeling like "something is missing". I have both formulations, and I prefer the later because I find it a touch softer. Elevated body heat, nose inside the collar of my shirt, inhaled deeply has the same effect on me as I imagine mediation does for those who meditate. So calming, so beautiful. I just love it!

stormyla
stormyla

After a 30 year respite, I have begun wearing AE again. If it has been reformulated, it doesn't seem to have any effect on how it performs on me. I have gone through 3 bottles now in recent years. Two were new and one was vintage. Honestly, I didn't notice any significant difference between the old and new.

This fragrance still has what seems to be the most powerful yet still delightful sillage of most perfumes. It definitely says "you have arrived". As I enter a room people ask me "what is that divine fragrance"?

The fragrance is still detectable on my wrists the day after sprayng. Many hours later, the fragrance is still sharp and clean. Even intense summer heat doesn't seem to effect it's freshness.

As one of those people who is always hot, even in the dead of winter, many perfumes that start out lovely soon turn ugly on me. Not this dear old friend! I feel so fortunate to be able to enjoy this great creation and wish that everyone else could too.

Amor1
Amor1

Iam sooo sorry, but I can not stand this scent. Is horribly heavy, old fashioned, makes me dizzy. I get a headache everytime I smell it on someone (mostly mature ladies love it). I love perfumes with fresh, clean and floral notes. If you love it, please do not overspray this, not everybody appreciate it. Thanks.

Decodawn
Decodawn

A beautiful fragrances that conjures up images of walking in the forest amongst pine trees with fir cones underfoot. This is a real classic fragrance and sophisticated and has a real feel good factor as with all of cliniques fragrances, crisp, clean and very classy ideal for the Autumn/Winter months when the smell of Christmas Trees fill the air but also light enough to be worn in Spring/Summer. This fragrance reminds me very much of Sisley Eau de Soir but at a Fraction of the cost. A wonderful present.

Tinn
Tinn

This is the first perfume to make me get migraine. Good bye.

derkargy

I f yoy buy the EDT,combining the body smoother,soon you will be astonished on how Aromatics work even at work or an ordinary fall/winter day in the office.

Kyles
Kyles

I agree with other reviews on here, you either love it or hate it. Personally I really like this scent, you can smell it from a mile away! And even when you've left the room you can still smell it. I don't know what it is I like about this perfume but it's my kind of scent. Just be careful when spraying this! One spray is enough to last you the entire day. :) Does anyone agree that this scent reminds me of angel by Thierry Mugler ?

Sonia505
Sonia505

Woody and sensual, very heady, i adore this scent and always have it, i love it in the winter and is mostly what i wear, lots of men comment on this 1, not for shrinking violets.

amoregal
amoregal

Wore this in the 80's. People either love it or hate it. There was no in-between.

Ninkin
Ninkin

Now, this is a PERFUME, unlike a gazillion fruity cocktails on the mass market now. A word of disclosure: I do not like this scent. At all. However, when reviewing fragrances, I feel that we should be reviewing the fragrance as it is, and not our impression of it. So while personally this one is not my cup of tea, I take off my hat to it. It's a masterpiece, beautifully crafted and balanced, intelligent and sophisticated scent. 5 out of 5.

MJ1209
MJ1209

I GREW to like this fragrance having worked for the company. It is STRONG. Warm and spicy notes maybe a bit of tobacco. I like the lotion on the skin and just a walk through of the perfume on my clothing. I don't wear it often because it is so heavy. I like it now because it reminds me of a younger me. Definitely a strict winter scent for me.

marenka
marenka

I adore the aromatics elixir. I have a question for those of you who are more experienced with the fragrance. Was there an earlier version of the "Limited Edition" Aromatics Elixir? I know they have just released a new Limited Edition in a beautiful new bottle with a flower on it. However, I have been told and seen on ebay (where of course anything can be said) that there is an older limited edition. It appears to be sold in the same frosted glass bottle as the current product. I see that someone above spoke of the vintage version versus the current - but has there been a change? Feedback please?

derkargy

I'm a proud owner of two bottles of this divine liquid,both accompanied by two smoother tubes.The perfect sense of euphoria!

sally.west1
sally.west1

Oh dear - have the same problems with Aromatics Elixir as I do with Youth Dew - just too darn strong! The smell is quite overpowering to me - I love orientals and would class this as an oriental rather than a chypre but I hate it! Was given a bottle as a Christmas present and quite like Clinque Happy so thought it would be OK but after one spray its been consigned to the very back of my perfume cabinet Eye wateringly pungent! My friend wears it all the time and it does smell OK on her but not for me.

EllGee315
EllGee315

Have worn this perfume for many years, but only as a winter scent. I use a VERY light touch when applying it, otherwise it can be over-powering. It's one of the few scents with considerable longevity among the fragrances currently out on the market.

nellyrlight

it is the most beautiful perfume..it does change your mood..and it lingers on you and everything you wear..i just love to still be able to smell it when i step into shower! it still is there in your pores..and it's not overwhelming at all..amazing!

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

It's a little sharp but good. There is a slight sweetness and a lot of biting, woodsy notes. Clears the sinuses, should I say ;)
It's not my kind of scent but it's certainly an excellent perfume.

Crystal-Clear
Crystal-Clear

Not for the faint of heart. This is powerful stuff. Guaranteed to make a sensitive nose swoon, as in "disorienting dizziness." Suggest trying it before you buy it.

s_athena
s_athena

Bitter, moldy, and dank - it's like a moldy basement someone is cleaning with bitter solvents. I love patchouli and incense usually, but the oakmoss and coriander make this completely intolerable. Worst combination of bitter, medicinal clean with dirty moldy greenery. Definitely a scrubber. YUCK!

swedishclare
swedishclare

This smells amazing in the bottle - herby, refreshing, green... I couldn't quite catch the scent properly on the paper strip, so sprayed some on my wrist and then... POW (and not in a good way)! Pungent, bitter, in-your-face green confusion.

I resisted the urge to scrub and waited and waited and waited. After an hour it had settled slightly, but it was still eyewateringly sharp, all chypre and medicine and nothing else. After two hours I could occasionally feel wafts of a smoky incense and something floral, but so deeply buried I almost thought I was imagining it.

As many others have said - do not blind buy! This is almost certainly going to adjust itself to you personally, regardless of what others have found. I wish it had turned into something warm and spicy and sexy, like others have found, but no... Try it though, as judging from the scent in the bottle it will be amazing on the right skin (and a refreshing change from anything sweet and fruity).

bkblan
bkblan

Love how it smells on others. Doesn't smell good on me. Had to give away.

DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor
DoveGrayismyfavoritecolor

This is a very beautiful fragrance that may work on only certain body chemistries but when it does it is pure magic. It also works well on fabrics. Really lovely, androgynous (but womanly) and a bit dark/sinister. Always a compliment magnet!
This was made when individuals actually wanted others to smell them and know they cared about their personal scent and appearance. No bubblegum fruity unicorns here! it is very strong, lingering and as I always say-Long Live Strong Silage!

kalee23
kalee23

Ah... Old friend Aroma'Lix! There's nothing that compares to you. An old soul of a scent, with a warm and dirty feel. How odd and somehow sad to see you sitting on that brightly lit display... on a cold and antiseptic Clinique counter! You always smelled like the 60's to me, (or how I imagined them to be) I was too young to know. Seems as though you were born at the wrong time and doomed to always be slightly out of step, like so many children of the seventies. I feel your pain.

moniemonie54
moniemonie54

I received this as a gift years ago. Its way too strong. Your chemistry reacts more to this fragrance more than any I've seen. It smells better on other people than it does on me. Still I don't like it. Its too mediciney, oily and heavy.

jovejove
jovejove

Smells great from a guys perspective. Like all fragrances, try it on your skin and let it dry down; smells phenomenal and sexy.

wbp
wbp

SO HEAVY. ATTENTION!!!! Do not blind bye this one.

Soie
Soie

The spray is okay, but I really loved the body lotion. The lotion (this was about 10 years ago) was also VERY highly scented - much like the perfume spray - and had a light, luxurious, custard-like texture, which moisturized my skin nicely but didn't leave behind even a trace of stickiness.

I always felt refreshed and uplifted whenever I wore the lotion.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

A walk through the forest at midnight; a whiff of incense. The path opens up to a clearing. Rituals of fire and of the earth - roses are burned in a secret gathering of people, their hands placed upon an ancient leather book. The leader pulls away her cowl, revealing herself as... your grandmother?! The cultists reveal themselves one by one as everyone's grandmother. The hideous, terrifying lawn flamingo god appears from the center of the fire just as you lose consciousness. You awaken at dawn, not fully aware of your surroundings. Not a shred of evidence remains to link the visions to reality. Was it only a dream? Only the darkest spot in your heart knows what really happened that night in the woods.

Thaigirl
Thaigirl

I really cannot understand some people raving about this scent. It smells so old, bad and unpleasant. This is what a perfume smells like which is out of date. Just really bad.

laurie.ackels
laurie.ackels

I would have to say this is the perfume with the strongest physical reaction from me. 30 years ago it was too much geranium and green - and now just the thought of it makes my stomach turn sour.

AutumnOwl
AutumnOwl

This is one of two perfumes that I've had that I've been unable to wear as I got a migraine when I was wearing it. I had to give it away.

molson316
molson316

Well, I guess I better go check out the Dollar store version of 409 that another reviewer said Aromatics Elixir smelled like! Maybe I'll love that too!

This was it! THE signature scent for me and two very close friends of mine that we wore through our early, mid & late 20's. It holds almost sacred memories for me and to me it smells like laughter, excitement, freedom, sensuality, ambition & adventure!! Those were the pre-kid, pre-responsibility days..I usually always have a bottle of it somewhere in my possession. It should be called 'Vintage Party'!

drummagick
drummagick

I got brave and tried some on my skin last week. On me, it smelled almost exactly like some cleaner I picked up at The Dollar Store a while back. The Dollar Store version of 409 spray.

I waited it out, hoping the drydown would prove to be nicer, and it wasn't. Finally scrubbd after a few hours and let me tell you, I almost had to take my skin off the get the stuff off me. Hand soap, dish soap, a different dish soap, 90% rubbing alcohol. Finally got it to a faint odor and then covered it up with lots of Bal a Versailles.

Whew.

eta: This is what is smelled like on MY skin. Not on paper, and
I've never smelled it on anyone else to compare. ;)

gmstrack
gmstrack

Aromatics Elixir is a beautiful fragrance when tested on paper, yet awful on my skin. Has anyone else experienced this?

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

This wondrously notorious elixir tends to get burned at the stake by the angry villagers. Witch hunt ... my search is over, though.

This one chooses you. So Hello, My Future Signature. I'm a witchy woman, bookish, a lover of 1970s vintage clothing and pop culture. Feminism is still necessary, and when I say 'peace' I actually mean it. Of course Aromatics Elixir also works on responsible, traditional more grown-up women, on men of style, and countless other types who value a little challenging character. Still, it's not quite all serious business: there's a bit of a dark humor and hedonism here mixed in with the no-nonsense.

It takes guts and patience to find the right amount to spray and to sit through what amounts to a sour opening on many. Although AE is definitely accessible and democratic, its "paced" and "challenging" nature is both classical like a slow-moving black and white movie and avant-garde like a conceptual chamber piece that refuses to compliment your ears but grants you the dignity of assuming you might like to think and be involved rather than stay flattered.

But flatter too Aromatics Elixir does: it suits and settles into a not-animalic-per say animalism. Earthy, just aloof enough but still warm potion. Can be worn everyday in lotion form or in the light walkthrough spray method, but it's so unique and mystical that Aromatics Elixir brings something of the earthly sublime even in repeat wearings. If you love patchouli, incense, your roses dipped in wine, chypres, an complex classical perfumes give Aromatics Elixir a try. Three tries even. That's how many it took me. Start with spritzing the air and walking through or you may get burned.

Rating: 10/10 for the vintage perfume, 9/10 reformulated perfume, 8/10 edt.
Longevity: Undefeated champion.
Sillage: if you apply sparingly, somewhat intimate. Otherwise likely to fill half a room in the first hour until drying down to a nice arm's length.
Gender: So above and beyond that shiz.
Occasion: Daily. Honoring the "old ladies'" who get so much hate, honoring mother nature and your own nature.

ginawadsworth

I am really missing this at the moment, but hate the reformulation. Will have to get Knowing out again as it is the nearest I can find to match this masterpiece, or steal my husband's aramis! sigh do hope they would bring the original back as we get the swiss reformulation here in new zealand. maybe I should order from USA. anyone having the same problem and can tell me where they are getting the original from?

benzippo
benzippo

If Youth Dew is vintage Estee Lauder, then Aromatics Elixir must be vintage Clinique.

A classic retained and still sold by a big cosmetics house is a rarity nowadays as most will be driven by the $$$ signs where juices that did not bring in the expected sales figures will be discontinued.

I am certain AE will not be flying off the shelves like Clinique Happy does, so to retain such an unconventional frangrance (in terms of today's trends) is indeed an act to salute. Thank you Clinique!!!

Like most classic frangrances, it will either be a love or hate affair and nothing in between, more so for a unique frangrance such as AE which is definitely a league of its own due to its character.

The sillage is great, the presence is very loud if oversprayed and the lasting power is fantastic. All the qualities that everyone would loved to have in their favorite frangrance but few juices nowadays could really meet up to these expectations though isn't it?

If you loved it, congrats, as you have found yourself a favorite fragrance with all the above fine qualities and you are in for a treat.

If you loathe it, too bad, afraid you will have to continue your search for the fragrance that will appeal to you and hopefully it will come with all the great qualities as mentioned.

In the meantime, we Aromatics Elixir lovers, "CHEERS" as our favorite frangrance will still be available for us to savour and enjoyed!!!

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

I love this perfume!
I have always been interested in chypres, but never had the opportunity to experience one. This has an earthy powderiness that I just love...it's powerful, lasts all day, but so smooth and well blended. It has alot of personality...there's so many gorgeous notes. My bottle is from 1999, so I don't know what the reformulation is like. I almost think this could have came out years before, it has such an old-school feel to me.
I would like to try mitsouko next, I only hope it's this good!
Definitely on my favorites list!:)

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

I wore this for a bit in 1989, but gave the mostly-full bottle to my mom. It was too heavy, acidic, and overpowering for me. One squirt in the morning after a shower and it would linger all day, into the night, and I coudl still smell it when I went to sleep (I suppose any fragrance I deem too strong or unpleasant might linger too long on me, though. LOL.). All I could detect were patchouli and rose. I was really surprised my (quiet, conservative) mom liked it, because it makes such a strong statement.

susanlouise9
susanlouise9

I've worn Aromatics Elixer since it first came out in the early 1970s....It's always been a part of my fragrance wardrobe. It's my favorite cyphre or green fragrance, without a doubt.

It seems to be a love/hate scent and I wonder if it's because women overspray it and spray it directly on their skin. I was taught, back in the early 1970s, by a Clinique saleswoman (who would have long since passed on now, as she was middleaged at the time) to make but one spray in front of you (nude) then walk through the mist letting the spray fall onto you. Never spray directly onto your skin.

jellybeantree

I pray for the day when this fragrance doesn't turn into a nuclear molecular disaster on my skin! This is the worst I have EVER tried in my life . The reaction on my skin could kill small animals! This smells so amazing on other people, including my sister. I am even afraid to try it again. Luckily there are millions of other fragrances in the world to try and love, but I secretly wish this smelled amazing on me.

loesje234
loesje234

I asked my husband to wear this, just for fun.
But it turned out really well!! Boy, do I love this on a man, totally different scent when he wears it.
On me, it's too strong and sour. On him, it's warm, powdery, oriental, dark, woody, yummie!!!
I wish it would smell on me that way, for I would have found my holy grail ;-)

suhaesa

one of all time classics that will never wither with time..its an mazing fragrance so complex and sensual.its a unique blend of so many profound deep cents that linger until the morning.very classy and heavenly. i think it also acts as an aphrodisiac because it has a masculine part to it which men find appealing.its very warm definitely a night, winter smell that you will never forget.

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

I have the edt version and even that one is strong. It's a very complex scent. Lots of different aromas in a thornlike scent. I imagine the scent as a bush of thorns, sticky, but not in a bad way. In all those sticky thorns of different aromas, I can smell something sweet and also something citrus. Amazing that I can smell citrus when it's nothing citrus in the mix. But I'm impressed how complex this scent is. Smell it over and over and you discover something new everytime. A lovely, classy scent. Not for everyday use, but when you want to be beautiful and go out for dinner or something. I'm thinking of trying the edp too. I like it.

taboo2287

update: on my previous review i mentioned how i loved this fragrance after trying it at Clinique counter, i went back after 2 days to purchase it and i did... when i returned home i couldn't wait to open it and spray it on me and i was surprised from 2 things: 1.the tester bottle at the counter was clear glass and the one i purchased was frosted! 2.the moment i sprayed it i knew that this is not what i smelled at the counter and fell in love with! i returned to the girl who i bought it from and asked her she showed me the tester and it turned out that it's a EDT and the one i bought is EDP! so fellas don't do the same mistake that i did, go for the EDT it's way softer and nicer than the EDP which is so harsh and strong... and a while ago a friend of mine told me to buy the 1 that is made in USA not the one that made in Switzerland since the American formulation is way nicer, hope that i helped :)

rottannie

Hi all....this is not so much a review as a question. There is something in the opening that reminds me of Tom fords black orchids opening. What is that certain note? Thank you for your help.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Sooooo nice!! Sooooo nice!!
I was shocked. This is very good. This just screams classy lady. I imagen a very beautiful woman wearing this, with a pencil skirt and beautiful sexy blouse, red lipstick and high killer heels.

I smell the chamomile and the ylang ylang. After an hour I smell the incense together with the rose and still chamomile. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!

Next on the to buy list!!!!!

Update 13/10/12: I bought this stuff, finally.
I love it, i'm wearing it today, it's so sexy mmm I love heavy scents. This creams my name. You can smell me from far away: yes I love that!!! Heavy chamomile!!

debsauter
debsauter

I love this fragrance so very much, but it makes me want more... more sandalwood, more musk, more incense!
It is decidedly brilliant! I'm hoping that it is never discontinued.

mariasara
mariasara

I haven´t enough words to describe how much I love this perfume. It´s one of my favorites, along with Mitsouko. It´s a classic chypre with an uplifting twist. It is very therapeutic and kind of magical, as it has the power to lift my mood, and also it seems to make people arround me happy. In my country, we salute with 2 kisses on the face. Today, A friend of mine after greeting me this way, showed me a huge smile and said "you smell so good!!"
this happens a lot with aromatics elixir : )

A real jewel that I will always keep with me!

beebeebrown
beebeebrown

The first time I smelled this fragrance was back in 1986 when I was 12 years old. It was introduced to me by my grandmother's sister. I've been in love ever since. It is my hands down all time favorite fragrance. My signature scent. I do not wear it any more as much as I used to however, i do tend to get some body cream about every to years to remind me of how much it is loved. It actually reminds me of old wigs and scarves. heheheehhe

amigdala
amigdala

I love this fragrance,so glamorous and perfect for everytime ad everyone!!!I 'll never change it!!Aromatic Elixir is a great,mesmerize fragrace!!

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

I've never wore (and i will never) a fur but i'm quite sure that Clinique Aromatic is a liquid fur !

So glamourous, so gorgeous....

Warm, floral and deeply powdery.... (my favorite trend)

pfcs

This is one I love. The first time I tried it, I used a testor in a department store and forgot about it. As I went through the mall, I kept wondering what that wonderful smell was, and finally realized it was ME! I love chypre and woods, always.

pfcs

Mystica, as a sixty year old woman who loves the old school perfumes, I am pleased to read that a young woman appreciates them also. It is pretty insulting on some of these threads when the young people refer to them as old lady scents. You're right, they're real woman scents.

mystica

I may not be a "usual" person as for my relation to the sense of smell and perfumes, but I really don't understand why (according to some) someone has to be above a certain age (or to become an elderly lady) so as to wear something like Aromatics Elixir. Isn't a good nose and some taste to appreciate what makes a true perfume enough? (Add the chemistry also. And what about our characters, personalities, and quite distinct tastes? I mean do we have to be -and smell!- copy cats?)

I was 24 when I started wearing AE, I'm now 28 and it's still on my favourites. And I always get compliments when I wear it.

However, almost everytime I go to a store, try or want to buy a bottle of AE (or something in a similar category -if I can find so among many generic sugary juices-) the sales assistants are baffled. That's due to my -even- younger looks thanks to my petite frame.

The last time when I was busy re-trying Lancome's new Climat and trying to understand the notes in it, an elderly sales assistant showed up with that baffled expression on her face and said: "Try something nice", showing me a bottle of "Acqua di Gioia" on her hand... -So, what I was trying was not only fit for me -based on my looks- but "bad" as well...

Next time I'm going to perfume shopping, I am planning to wear a t-shirt printed on it "I prefer to smell like a (real) woman" in big bold white on black. I can indeed say that on anyone's face.

It's just (that) annoying...

Rose Hip
Rose Hip

I love it on other people. I love it on me. However, it does remind me of a friend who was very classy, posh but 65 years old :) She presented me with a bottle and a body cream. They have lasted for years.
So, because of that friend, the perfume for me has always had and will have this elderly lady quality but elegant and very chic too.

fahad.al dowailah
fahad.al dowailah

Thick thick THICK oily floral, it got this old lady vibe, which i like. I don't get the woody part, it is earthy and herbal but its definitely not green. Its very warm and cozy, very classy too. Smells expensive. The moss is not the moss that you get in Eau Du Soir, the moss just gives it (a little bit) of masculinity, its definitely not masculine is very old lady-ish but the moss gives it the power. The shoulder pads in the suit! The pachouli is not the sweet pachouli that you get in Mugler's Angel. its that dirty earthy pachouli, the dirty musky pachouli. I really like it long lasting 6+ hours on my skin. 7/10 :)

judyk
judyk

One tiny spritz of Aromatics Elixir on my wrist, the customary rub-together... and 20 minutes later I am *enveloped* in a magnificent chypre haze. At this point I daren't actually sniff my wrist - it makes my eyes water. If I want an extra "hit" of incense I have to carefully waft the back of my hand under my nose. Good God, this is killer stuff! Definitely one for spritzing up in the air and walking under.

enzyme1
enzyme1

this is one of those perfumes that I love. it can sometimes be difficult to wear because it is so strong and obnoxious. This is a perfume for a sleek and powerful man or woman, think thin, dressed in black, professional and mean. sometimes this can smell completely off on my skin, and the opening is just awful, a screaming carcophany of alcohol and aldehydes. But once it settle down its true personality is revealed.
This is best enjoyed if you let the perfume come to you, it projects like nothing else, so you do not have to smell your wrist to understand this gorgeous elixir.

junior halston
junior halston

Flashback 1987 my mom had a bottle of this on her dresser my older sister and I would take the school bus in the mornings together one morning she sneaked some of this cologne. Ugh!

I remember boarding the bus and hearing some say what is that smell ..can you smell something.

Lwooten
Lwooten

I worked with a lady who wore this SO many years ago. I always appreciated it but at the time I was too young to pull it off. I can't believe that it has taken me so long to actually spray it on my skin. So today, I sprayed it on- and I am adoring this masterpiece! It creates such a sensual aura that I can hardly wait for my husband to get a whiff of it. It is amazing!
A big thank you to Sparkybish! You wrote the best fume story I think I have ever had the pleasure of reading! Laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes. (Though I'm sorry for your pain)
And also a big thanks to calyx93 for the info on the proper method of application of this beauty! Light spray!

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

Wonderful! perfectly named. To me this is all about the inscence and herbs/spice, Reminds me very much of Elizabeth Taylor's passion, just nicer, more refined, and / or higher quality ingreediants (love both of them) Chamomile is more detectable and what smells like nutmeg or maybe bayleaf? Almost brilliant! Very nice, soft, sexy.. and aromatherapudic! highly reccomend. The drydown is actually a bit creamy, and As long as this is applied lightly, this is a very classy, soft, seductive, and calming scent! moderate sillage, lasts forever!

acavicchi
acavicchi

Very unique fragrance, strong, very woody, very heavy on patchouli. When I read that it was created in the early 70's, that made a lot of sense to me because the overall smell reminds me more of incense than a perfume. I can't wear it due to the patchouli (as always!) turning rancid with my chemistry but it would be nice as a room spray, as someone mentioned!

Labaloo
Labaloo

My room-mate bought this one a couple years ago and wore it only on occasion- with a measured amount of ambivalence. I remember the first time: she had already left the house for the evening, and I emerged from my own room, caught a whiff and tried FINDING where that heavenly patchouli fragrance was coming from! I gave up... and forgot about it until the next time, a few weeks later. Is that you!? What is it!? Her taste in frags is so completely-different from mine- she tends to like light-fresh-fruity modern things, so the fact that she was wearing this one stumped me. It was MY kind of fragrance: a bit heavy on the basenotes, exotic, mysterious. Sultry. Bergamot-rose-patchouli are what I find dominate, and I love it. To say that it recalls Stevie Nicks is right on. And maybe Kate Bush.

I loved those strong women who wore lace and leather, who dabbled in sorcery, who did their own thing. I knew one well who wore glitter'd mousse in her hair to better catch the moonlight, to read her tarot cards by. This one is for them, and to them I raise my bejeweled goblet of fine sherry- not my delicate champagne flute.

And, oh: my room-mate asked me today if I wanted it. You know the answer.

Sassy1
Sassy1

You have to really like medicinal smells to appreciate the first hour or so of this fragrance. Sagy camphor with the slightest moldy tinge at the tail end of your "sniff" which you taste as well as smell.

After that stage, lots and lots of geranium, which is very nice and the moldiness goes away.

I like it, but I don't know when or where I'd wear it. It has no relevance to current style and isn't for day/office, night/clubbing or the bedroom/sexy.

It really reminds me of retired ladies sitting in the sauna of a spa with wrinkly tan skin and too much time on their hands.

Interesting, but not something I can comfortably pull off.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

My mom´s favourite scent. It has been for a long time. However, until a while ago I could not appreciate its woody, earthy quality, the comfort you receive just by breathing it in shortly. I admit I found it disgusting, soap-like but not in a good way, I just could not understand that people actually complemented my mom for wearing "this" (with a "yuck" expression on my once younger face).

Now I can, oh yes, I can. I had to arrive at my mid-thirties when I realized that this scent is absolutely stunning and special in the best possible way. Surely not made for everyone and surely no juice for the younger crowd. The patchouli in AE repelled me in my teen and twen years but now lets me sigh with bliss.

Maybe I should add here that I have come to develop an affinity for chypres in the first place and so gradually loved all the rather strange and bitter concoctions, amongst which AE is one of the most admirable (Knowing is its loveable twin, equal to AE in terms of superb quality and nature).

There might be some issues with skin chemistry which determines if this scent is soap, wood or floral. Or all in one. Or none of them all :-)

Sniffing the bottle alone might put you off in the first moment but believe me, if you test it on your skin chances are that this stuff might work miracles on you. You might realize (just as I did) that you underestimated AE for such a long time or you decide not to like it after all but (in either case) you have made an extraordinary fragrance experience.

Yes, this scent is mature but does this implicate you´re old when you like it ? No. In my opinion mature means that you know who you are, what your purpose in this world is, where you come from and maybe also where you want to go to. Grown-up with an impeccable taste.

chowchow41

I bought the eau de toilette and its perfect. I love it so much. Its love at first spritz. Its addictive, intoxacating, breathtaking, calming yet feminine. Its such a great edt wich has so many faces that develop through out the day. The best one ever.

Betweenshades
Betweenshades

I had actually forgotten what this smelled like until I sprayed it on tonight at Belk. I had a smell tester years ago when Mom ued Clinique; she gave it to me, along with Happy, as she cannot wear purfume.

Wonderful, smokey, spicy and yet still slightly citrusy and light in the top. Most likely from the aldehydes and verbena. Then, suddenly moss and florals that end in sandalwood and incense.

This is not a shy scent; don't bother if you're more inclined to the lighter florals. AE will chew you up and spit you out like you were nothing. I, however, will be sticking with my usual Chanel as the smell reminds me of one of my parents' friends; her apartment always smelled of it and she's not one who's memory I'd prefer to conjure up.

Which brings me to an interesting problem; it won't come off. I've washed my arm twice and have showered. It's still there. I've even tried some skunk removal methods and I can still smell it. If you buy it, you're certainly getting your money's worth as it won't fade, apparently. I'm debating adding it to a purfume I own for the sheer humor of it.

tpeacock
tpeacock

I'm a huge fan of Clinique, but unfortunately not the perfumes. And this one is my least favourite. I find it rather harsh and overpowering. But it probably just doesn't work with my chemistry.

stelladoro
stelladoro

So relieved to hear that the A.E. that's on the market now is a reformulation. A small trial size of A.E. was included with my fragrance purchase from a major department store recently. I was thrilled - once-upon-a-time I wore Elixir for almost ten years and I loved the herbal aromatic blend.

However, when I sprayed the A.E. on my wrist I was knocked over by a scent which I can only describe as "this smells exactly the way wormwood tastes". How on earth had I worn this for ten years? That was my first thought, then I smelled acrid smoke and ran around the house looking for anything that might be burning. I even stepped outside. It bore no resemblance to incense. I couldn't believe my taste had changed that much.

So relieved it's just another redo gone wrong.

Pusur
Pusur

I can´t get it out of my head. Smelled some days ago. Tired of all over again the same smells. Well, yes. Very strong. Suddenly I stood in a old church full filled with old grandmas. But... I could not stop to smell it a whole day long. Skin got more oriental and sexy scent. Next day I smelled jacket... Very nice. Than in the car, with every move of my hand... Interesting. Like I´ve written above. Can´t get it out of my head.

one_girl_rev
one_girl_rev

This is a phenomenal rainy night fragrance. Thick in the air but cozy and sensual.

I get compliments all the time when I wear it out on cold nights. You don't expect people to like it because when you first try it, you're hit with heavy notes. So heavy you would think it would be unpopular to the masses.

But enter the wind and the atmosphere, and this fragrance takes on an entirely new presence. Extraordinary and classic.

It's not painful like Poison but it is definitely intense. Needs a lot of air and room to roam. A light mist on a scarf and every hug you give will be remembered forever.

That's why we're here, right?

SSkilling
SSkilling

Aromatics Elixer is my signature scent for fall and winter. It smells great on me, deep, mysterious, musky/spicy, rich, and somehow full of quiet joy......this fragrance is one main reason I love fall and winter. It doesn't suit everyone, but on a strong, confident woman with the right body chemistry, it is unique and life-enhancing fragrance.

Troodos
Troodos

I can absolutely see that this has strength and character and may be too heavy for many but I adore it and have done ever since I first encountered it in the late eighties. It is beautiful and unique in my opinion. I do have a soft spot for 70s perfumes but this is different to the more popular ones of the time. Every single time I wear it complete strangers ask what it is. Different, beautiful and original a gorgeous, fresh oriental with attitude. Go on, you know you want to. Don't be out off by the people who scoff, usually put off by first reactions. Out it in, live with it and see what response you get.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

Press the pump and out comes the Purple Patchouli Monster. Furry, warm and ferocious it ravages your skin and clothes, claiming all the air around you and eventually in the room. It wears an extravagant gilded costume, gold plates glimmering, and carries vines and dry leaves that have been intertwined in its mane during its walk through the forests and Savannahs in its effort to reach you. This attack has been planned in its primitive mind ages ago and it will test the one that summons it. Like a djinni in the bottle it looks as if it is meant to destroy you but if you prove to be the chosen one it will bring you all the riches in the world. The persons who tames this will gain everlasting charm and power over those who come around them. A woman wearing this gracefully could be holding a leopard on a leash with nonchalant attitude.

The understated bottle could never warn you about the ancient patchouli inside. One spray is enough to envelop you in a very perceptible scented earthy dew for a whole day. If you test this and find it unwearable then I'm afraid the only option is the shower... provided you live that long

gemgirl26
gemgirl26

My high school art teacher wore this perfume. Everytime I smell it, I'm brought back to that classroom and the feel of working with clay while I threw something on the wheel. It brings back good memories.

I tried it on the first time yesterday. I wasn't sure, based on the notes, if it would be something that would suit me. However, I actually really liked it. Very warm, slightly earthy, a little spicy. I'm not sure if I would wear it in the summer, but think it would be great in the fall or winter.

Since my hubby hated it, I'm sure I would only wear it seldomly - perhaps on a cool fall night with a cup of something warm while I read a good book....

RobbieX

Got a waft of this from someone at work. One word "FABULOUS"

krmarich
krmarich

I sampled this at the Macys counter yesterday. The tester was a very familiar standard that I have detected over the years here and there. It is a classic chypre full of oakmoss-gasp!

The pushy sales lady offered to sell me a bottle. I asked if I could open the box and if it was the same, I would purchase it. She was adamant that it was the same and refused to let me open the box without purchasing it. If I opened it, it could only be exchanged for another bottle. Her reasoning was "why would it be different?". I explained about the comments below on Fragrantica and she demanded it was misinformation.

The plot thickens as I wandered over to her manager and explained my story. The manager had no idea about reformulations of any Macy fragrance-LOL! She referred me to a Macys customer service. After being transferred several times I had no resolution or the answer that I wanted-that it was different. Macys suffers terrible customer service!

Alas, the ever popular, innocent AE seems to have been changed for the worse! How sad. Another one bites the dust...

CubanFairyTaleBeauty
CubanFairyTaleBeauty

I love this perfume! It's my signature scent. It has a beautiful, long lasting scent. I can smell it on my jackets and my car for days. Nor does it smell sporty like Clinique's other fragrances. However, people either love or hate this fragrance. This perfume is very strong, only one spray is needed. Anything more it'll smell too overpowering.

chanchita
chanchita

It takes a strong woman to wear this frag and to carry it with pride. If she can not it will simply not work and end up suffocating her personality. I used to find it clean & sharp smelling, something to wear for a serious day when I had to get things done yet wanted to make my mark. I see this as a dominant scent with mysterious undertones, like showing a little cleavage but keeping the colour of your bra secret. No longer on my shelf but I do smile with recognition when I smell it on somebody else who wear it well.

scottishlassie19

Update: After writing my entry yesterday I went and applied some of my newly purchased AE. I immediately noticed that something was different. Over the evening I had several sniffs and it wasn't the same as the AE in the tester I had used two days earlier. It was lacking in the depth and longevity. I called the Clinique customer service line this morning and...gasp..it was reformulated in 2010 to met the new European requirements. The tester I had used at the counter was the older version. I'm so sad. I'm going back to Clinique counter to see if I can talk the sales associate into swapping my bottle for the 3/4 full tester of the original.

If anyone has an older bottle that they want to swap or sell please PM.

In my search for a new frag I revisited some of my older favs and they have all fallen victim to reformulation under the IFRA.

So the moral of the story is...it's time to stock up on the originals of your old favourites before they are gone. Happy hunting.

scottishlassie19

I finally purchased this perfume today! Tried to get a sample/tester at the Clinique counter in several places but no joy...so after trying it on 4 or 5 different occasions I took the plunge. Seems to work well with my chemistry. I was concerned about the many comments on here saying it was a stinker so I had a much younger coworker sniff at it for a second opinion and she thought it was lovely. I like the fact there is a very definite top, middle and base to it and the longevity it excellent. I could see how over application would turn people off but misting the air and walking into it really works and I believe it's the proper way to apply scent in any event. I'm a huge fan of aromatherapy. I like the fact the oils are 'earthy'. AE smells like a blend or top quality oils to me. I wish I'd found this scent sooner as I can see it becoming my much sought after 'signature'. As for those of you whom AE doesn't 'work' on...I feel sorry for you :-( There is a reason AE has been around for 40 years IMHO.

missymary
missymary

I completely understand how this strong perfume is disliked by some and maybe belongs to a former Age, but I bet it's still loved by those who admire the aldehydic scent of old money, class, and taste. Its aristocratic and effortlessly makes itself be noticed and admired. Put it on a scarf and it lasts for days. Surprisingly it remains fresh with its peculiar beautiful mossy note. When I wear it I always feel wrapped in comfort and luxury, and I walk taller. I imagine a style icon such as Audrey Hepburn wearing Aromatics Elixir. Its a perfume of distinction. Inspiring!

akats
akats

Interesting perfume. I like it due to its chypre notes, although it is more at the oriental side. In fact , at its beginning it balances on oriental and chypre categories, but when dries down, it slips to the chypre. It is when the oakmoss becomes intense and the whole composition sharp and bitter. So bitter, that I would dare to say that is more unisex than Mitsuko that time.
I wish it had a sharp fruity note from the beginning(more bergamont perhaps), so as not to be compared with other orientals, such as youth dew.

Hi everyone
Continueing the new formula of AE. My bottle was from Switzerland too, so I guess this is wear the re-formulation is being made. For those of you who now have a bottle of perfume they are not in love with, try this. I spray some on the light bulb of my bedside lamp. The heat when the light is on brings out the depths you do not get on your skin now, and my bedroom has the comforting aroma of AE all the time.

bevysplace

williamvargas, i agree with you, aromatics elixir used to have the scent that you love on your wife. my husband felt the same as you. however, she probably uses the one made in usa. i have just noticed that the new parfum supplied to me is made in switzerland. could this be the reason for the change in sillage?

williamvargas
williamvargas

amazed at all dislikes , i think when applied approriately,,because it so potent...but what a sexy, vibrant scent...i tend to think someone like cleopatra would have worn this scent...get out of my way...i am woman hear me roar.....just beautiful,powerful and seductive.....such security..i love my wife to wear this.. sometimes...she will just spray and walk thru..that is all you need..still wows me.smells exceptional on jackets or sweaters if they catch some of the drift..this is about as sexy and powerful as it gets..brings me to my knees...

bevysplace

this is yet another follow-up from my previous comments, it is very interesting maria-clara that you have actually been informed that the formula of aromatics elixir has been altered. my two bottles (which were lacking in sillage) that were purchased in los angeles at macy's were replaced in sydney. also with an explanatory note they were being replaced due to customer dissatisfaction, not of a change in formulation, but that i was suffering from "olfactory fatigue" in that i had been using it so long that my nose was becoming accustomed to the fragrance so much that i had lost my true assessment of the parfum. they pretty much implied that i was the problem. i don't think so.

maria-clara

Beginning this month (february 2012) I bought a new bottle of Aromatics Elixir. The one I'm using is almost finished. I didn't try the new one yet. Since I read in one of the comments that lately something changed in the formulation, I wrote to Clinique. And yes, they confirmed that the formula recently changed slightly, without giving any specifics. They also confirmed that the one I'm using is still the old formula. Now I won't finish this bottle, but keep it for very special occasion. And, now I will have to find out what exactly was changed.

trollet
trollet

Nopasho, you describe Aromatics so beatifully that there is nothing more to say. I so, so agree with you.BTW all your reviews are so nice to read.

!!
!!

This smells amazing on my mother and grandmother - really expensive and luxurious. I did buy a bottle but it just didn't suit me. It turned into cat's urine on my skin, which was disappointing. It does smell great on some people though, and lasts forever on the skin.

nopasho
nopasho

Another 'grande dame' of the perfumery art that gets bashed here regulary. Why? Because it smells too strong. Because it is not sweet. Because there is no vanilla in it. Because the sillage is too good, because the longevity is too long! What do you want? Weak frags that are breezes in the wind, are gone after half an hour and you pay a lot of money for because it has a cute bottle? This is a Strong Personality Fragrance. And those kind of frags always provoke strong reactions. I can't imagine that someone would waste the time hating mass fabricated run of the mill fragrance that has some celebrity name on it or because it has a cute bottle. 'Lola' by Jacobs. Raves because of the 'cute' bottle but most agree that the frag is nothing special. I can give you the link to a Chinese factory that sells these flower bottles mass produced before Jacobs launched 'Lola'. That's where Jacobs found that 'cute bottle'. Justin Bieber's frag: the bottle is 'Made in China' also. The Harakuju dolls of Gwen Stefani: mass produced in Japan. Nothing original. Not the bottle and certainly not the frag.
'Aromatics Elixir' IS certainly original. It is strong. It is like nothing else. It has chutzpah, cojones, balls, power, A Face, A Character. It is Something. Where a lot of frags are just 'nothing in a cute bottle'. I'll go for the strong frag in a whatever bottle anytime over the run-of-the-mill-gone-with-the-wind frags in a cute Made in China or Japan' bottle. The hate for this frag is IMHO because it is not sweet. Hell, it is anti-sweet! It is woody, earthy, herbal, spicy. When you wear it you wear A Unique Fragrance. Not some interchangeable sweet fragrance. And so 'Aromatics' belongs in the category of the great unique frags like 'Opium', 'Chanel 5', 'Dioressence'... No sugar, lot of fragrance! It is an absolute delight for the perfume-diabetics amongst us who are not a fan of syrupy sweet vanilla artificial-flower-extract fragrances. A treat. That gets rarer and rarer to find outside the niche ghetto. The 'sugar craze' has apperently crossed over from food to perfumes. Where fast food manufacturers bulk everything up with cheap sugar and cheap soy, you see the same thing happen in perfumery with sugar: bring on the glucose and the sweet flower and fruit syrups. To each its own. I don't hate fruity florals, I just don't care for them because most are so faceless, bland, interchagable and anonymous. Perfume is an art form. You can hardly defend that the sweet fruities that are churned out nowadays by the perfume molochs at incredible high prices, where sugar is a cheap ingredient as is the artificial vanilla, vanillin, are close to intricate perfume craftmanship.
Let's not turn the world upside down here. 'Sugary' is not a standard of measuring the quality of a frag, and 'weak', 'inoffensive' are also not a plus in my book. 'Aromatics' is shamelessly Bold and Beautiful. And I like it. As do many others because since its launch in 1975 it is still going strong. And it will be around to enjoy, long after Katy Perry's 'Purr' and 'Meow' or Gwen Stefani's fragrances are dead and forgotten.
What makes this unique frag tick? A lot of notes.
Top: Aldehydes, coriander, chamomile, lemon verbena, clary sage, bergamot, rosewood, geranium
Middle: Carnation, tuberose, orange blossom, ylang ylang, rose, jasmine, orris root
Base: Sandalwood, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vetiver, incense.
Wow! No vanilla, no sweet chocolate, no cotton candy, no caramel, no popcorn-note... Halelujah! Diabetics can enjoy this scent too! There is no insulin needed when smelling this. Technically this frag is top notch. Great sillage, super longevity, perfectly mixed and balanced and all notes in harmony. Even the Aromatics-haters have to give it that. In fact it is one of their pet peeves: 'AE' smells too strong! Well, I say: the stronger the better. Because you also then use less of it, so it makes that frag less expensive. Why are all these new frags these days so weak? So that you would spritz a lot and your bottle will be empty soon and you can buy a new bottle at inflated prices. That won't happen with 'AE'!
The quality of a frag is determined by its base. Here we have a very strong but also very classical base. Almost textbook from the lesson: 'How to make a strong long lasting frag'? These six notes -sandalwood, patchouli, oakmoss, musk, vetiver, incense- is the perfume equivalent of a concrete-and-steel base. Then the top notes blast first. Some complain about a 'medical smell'. If you consider chamomile 'medicinal', you are right. It is also a very original and great fragance note. Its herbalness is strenghtened by the geranium in the 'herbal' top. The dry feeling is further amplified by the rosewood, the clary sage and the coriander. The aldehydes give this a creamy, cozy, dense 'Chanel nr 5'-vibe that is brightened and freshened up by the bergamot and the lemon verbena.
Then the middle notes make their presence 'felt'. A very flowery middle: tuberose, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang are very classic flowery combinations. But the stightly bitter and peppery carnation adds contrast and deepness to the 'floral' middle and the fragrance in total. It breaks that classic 'old school'-tuberose, rose, jasmine-ylang ylang- flowerfest. And next the cheery and zesty orange blossom in the middle (mostly it is in the top of fragrances) further lightens/freshens up the middle like the verbana/bergamot does in the top. The 'herbal' top and the 'flowery' middle play ping-pong with each other. And that 'herbal-flowery' notes combination creates all kinds of inner workings that produce 'herbal-floral' peeps of smells. But it is natural floral, not 'sweet flowery'. It is earthy 'herbal' not oriental 'spicy', despite the coriander, which is not too pronounced. That whole intricate combo mixed with the base of patchouli, incense, oakmoss, sandalwood... (also all herbal-woody) creates a decidely non-vanillic, non-sweet strong one-of-a-kind perfume heaven. Call this 'medicinal' if you want. I call it 'great!'. So 'Aromatics' is unbashedly-non-sweet. Therefore it is villified by a lot of people who can't imagine a fragrance without sugar and/or vanilla. Well, it exists: 'Aromatics Elixir'. And it is great.
If you think this smells 'medicinal, I advise you to visit a hospital. That's what 'medicinal' smells like. If 'Aromatics Elixir' is 'medicinal', it is IMHO a medicine that is good for you. Test it, take it and be cured of your oncoming olfactory diabetes and craving for sugary overload. Don't believe the clichés, test it and form your own opinion. I for one, who doens't love syrupy, sugary breezes that are 'gone with the wind' in 30 minutes, am open and honest about this. I like this sillage monster and longevity beast. I hope you give it a test run. You will be rewarded by discovering that a fragarance doesn't have to have vanilla an sugar in it. You will maybe be cured from your sugar cravings. And I will now be attacted by the American Sugar Alliance...

marisacb
marisacb

This is the ONLY perfume I can recognize on strangers who are 5+ feet away from me. This is not a good thing. I have loathed this perfume for years. It has a musty stench that seems to overpower and over take the room. I truly do not understand what anyone could smell in this scent that would make them want to put it intentionally on their person. I am really not trying to be offensive, but this has to be one of the worst smells ever created. Period.

maria-clara

I absolutely love Aromatics Elixir, and AE loves me. It lasts very long. It is rich, it is warm, elegant, classy, feminine for women with balls. Not for everyone though.

Six days later I have to add:
Wearing Aromatics Elixir outside the house gets you attention, yes, the scent goes beyond your skin, yes it will be noted, but absolutely not recognized by everybody, as is suggested in some of the comments. Trust me, it will be recognized ánd appreciated by another AE passionista passing you, or standing near you in the supermarket. Compare it to the connection guys get when passing eachother in the street while driving their 1960/70s Mercury or Rover of a specific model or type. Everybody else thinks they're nuts to drive in outdated, ugly cars, but they themselves know better. Much better.

bevysplace

hi there, this is a follow up from my previous two reviews regarding the lack of scent of aromatics elixir that i purchased in Los Angeles recently. yes ginawadsworth i agree that the scent of the two bottles were very faint, dark in colour and definitely lacking in the "wake effect". i have personally taken both bottles back to clinique here in sydney (australia) and am awaiting their assessment. will let you know the outcome. bevysplace

ginawadsworth

Hi everyone. This is a continuation of my earlier comments about not being able to smell AE anymore. Today out of curiosity I tried Estee. This is what AE appears to have been reduced to in the last 2 bottles I purchased.A very subtle scent with no sillage. Has anyone else who knows both perfumes got any comments?

Croneangel
Croneangel

After chuckling about the recent reviews I just have to put in my two bits on AE. I'll admit its a classic. On paper I just love it. Aaahh....patchouli. It also smells great on some of my customers, and I mean "fantastic" on one lady!
Unfortunately, that isn't the case with my skin. It smells "ok" for approximately five minutes. THEN it turns into the dreaded "Rest Area Toilet Disinfectant" odor that I used to encounter as I drove between Florida and Arizona. I'd rather go out in the desert to relieve myself and take my chances with the rattlesnakes as opposed to walking into those restrooms!!! What a stench. Its an olfactory memory that I've tried SO hard for SO many years to keep repressed. Then I went and tried Aromatics Elixir. Bad move on my part, but you never know until you try!
Note: As for the comparison to EL's Knowing. I ADORE that fragrance! And it loves me back! A beautiful, magnificent spicy rose chypre on my skin.

Portia Turbo
Portia Turbo

The lady at the Clinique counter kindly gave me a 4ml sample the other day.
I sat in a glorious haze for about 6 hours yesterday and woke up this morning to a lovely dry down.
At 16 hours, it's even sexier now and still clinging softly to my skin.

lyria
lyria

Several hours ago I spritzed it on my wrist at one of the shopping malls. I think it's a type of perfume that one could be longing to smell during the August swelterings... I think it would counteract heat,refreshing the senses in a lovely way. I guess it's great when used sparingly, though; also, it somehow reminds a bit of EL's "Knowing" (just vaguely, because this one is fresher and less earthy).

fumelover
fumelover

For some reason, I feel the need to like this one but I'm not sure why. I've tried it twice. Both times, to my nose, it smelled like citronella based bug spray (not the smell I was going for). However, both times, other people said I smelled amazing. How can that be? I applied it, as everyone has suggested here, just walked into the spray but I could not stand it on me and could not get it off soon enough. It lasted an entire day and through a shower!

So then I ask myself, do I want to smell good to me? Or do I want to smell good to others? I'd sort of like to smell good to me and others so for now, this isn't the scent for me but I appreciate the complexity of it.

ginawadsworth

Thank you Bevysplace for confirming my review. Interestingly I purchased the bottles of AE in New Zealand and of the two versions offered I chose the darker scent in the bottle which is slightly opaque as I had never seen the lighter coloured version in a clear bottle before. (I actually thought I was being offered Beautiful to begin with because this was exactly the same colour). I also found that the atomiser leaked and I had to make sure the bottle was kept upright. Are there now two versions of the one scent, or two strengths? I would be keen to know the outcome of your complaint to Clinique and what, if anything, they have to say.

bevysplace

I forgot to mention that I consider this to be my signature scent and has been for at least 20 years. I just adore this fragrance and the effect it has. So I knew immediately that something was very different about the new bottles. Has anyone else has this problem? bevysplace

bevysplace

I too agree with ginawadsworth. I have recently visited Los Angeles and purchased 2 bottles of Armomatics Elixir at Macy's and upon my return found them both to be very dark in colour and lacking in scent. My husband agrees. Very disappointing. I have complained to Clinique and am sending them back for assessment. Bevysplace

ginawadsworth

What have they done to this masterpiece.
This was my signature scent for many years. Not only did I absolutely adore it, AE was my comforter. Helped me sleep, calmed me and gave me confidence.
I have purchased 2 bottles of late and they have absolutely no smell at all. Even my husband has confirmed this as I thought my nose was lying. Maybe this is a ploy to market the Reserve Edition, but my faith has been destroyed and I am not sure if I could even sample this. I sometimes use PP but this is like a sister being there when I would rather have my best friend.
Having moved on, and tried numurous fragrances, I have discovered Givenchy eaudemoiselles, but I do still mourn AE deeply.

Tovah
Tovah

Aromatics Elixir is fantastic! This is the kind of fragrance that makes lifelong perfume lovers. It's unique, outstanding, atmospheric, and memorable. I was wearing this fragrance when I found out I was pregnant with my first child, 17 years ago. Even though I associated the scent with nausea for awhile afterward, now Aromatics Elixir is incredibly special to me. I love it almost as much as I love Clinique Wrappings (and I really, really love Wrappings). Clinique fragrances really changed their effects with the advent of Happy. Those of us who love to smell like sexy, the-world-is-mine PERFUME rather than shampoo or laundry detergent, will always thank Clinique for Aromatics Elixir.

Merri
Merri

Paulab-best review ever to me...I had to read it to my husband and we were hysterical. But it is the truth, love it or hate it there is no other perfume on earth that lasts longer, period. This is my mom's signature scent since it came out; she occasionally wears some others too but always comes back to this. Now my husband has always said that I could lie and say I didn't spend the day at my mom's house but he would know because my kids smell of my mother's perfume (well he hates the stuff so he said reak of not smell of sorry). He also thought there was a man's version because my dad has the same smell but it is from being near my mom...hence why the bank robber dye packs made us laugh so hard! So my review so far seems negative, very negative and true on me this is one awful mess of a smell; AE is the reason I still believe that I detest pathouli and oakmoss. I have sprayed it on many, many times in the past seduced by the compliments my mom gets. Was it Robin Williams who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome? The body cream is even scarier on me and it rubs off on everyone that you hug. There are some people who say every perfume smells the same on every person, no such thing as body chemistry etc. Whatever....this smells amazing on my mom and vile on me. I swear everytime I go somewhere in public with her at least two people will stop her to say she smells so good. And I have done it many times too...walk in her house and say "wow you smell nice" AE is the proof that a perfume really has to work on your individual skin. That doesn't mean everyone will like it on you...my husband finds AE revolting but I like the smell on my mother and I have witnessed first hand the effect it has on other people who smell her. The drydown of AE (on mom) smells of rich, mossy forest, clean in a natural way not detergent. It blends with her skin and just smells comforting. As a side note in real life the bottle is a truly gorgeous thing.

Canelita
Canelita

This one is my favorite, great combination of notes, like a master piece simphony. I can feel it is a very sophisticated feminine fragance with an unique taste, it is elegant, sober, deep but not annoying, intense but not bothersome, not agresive or invasive, just a perfect touch of scents that surounds you, perfect match for a great classic perfume. At the first time i loved it and i still do it, when i use it i always get compliments. This is the kind of perfume that others can perceive with out being nocked out. I have a great relationship with it, I absolutely love it great job Clinique :)

Tulip211
Tulip211

Okay. One of those scents that you know you hate, but you always try it at the store anyway. Just to shriek in horror. It never fails.

Strangely though, on one of these occasions, a bit of the fragrance got on my coat sleeve. I discovered it the next day as I put my coat on, and you know what? It smelled really good! Good enough for me to buy a bottle? No. But good enough to teach me that I shouldn't judge a perfume by it's initial violent attack.

celygould
celygould

I have worn this perfume - elixir since the late 70's and it was - is commented so favorably by many as being delicious, inviting, so sensual, warm --- comforting at best. I truly have never "loved" a fragrance as much as I have AE. Earthy and Elegant. an Essential Frangrance.

derkargy

Many years ago,I thought AE was a heavy oriental,judging by the way many women wore it.I finally bought it and I adored it;a comforting scent,a real elixir.Lasting power is unbelievable!

nonnative
nonnative

Protective and comforting. Soothing elixir for my nose and for my soul. Perhaps my medicine to wear. I realised I need it. I couldn't find a better review for this thick and dense juice. More than a thumb up.

lhollingdrake
lhollingdrake

There are two seperate fragrances here.
1. The aldehydic assault that wollops you over the head.

2. The woodsy patchouli heaven that takes all day to reveal itself.

It's an original, to be sure, but the aldehydes are chokingly potent and I just can't handle the first twelve hours of it.

paulab
paulab

This is my mothers favorite fragrance. She recently sent a package to my kids. When we opened the box it smelled like she had just walked in the room. This package had just traveled 5,000 miles......AE could be used instead of dye packs to track bank robbers.

jeannechantal
jeannechantal

There's already been so much written about this perfume. I just want to add that this is the most positive, powerful perfume I know (and I know many, being something like a "perfume-addict"); it has outstanding longevity; I spray the tiniest amount into my closet and all my clothes smell gorgeous for days.
It's an uplifting smell and very elegant. Whenever I come to work, most of my colleagues greet me with "Here comes the good smell again."
The strange thing is, normally I hate patchouli and try to avoid perfumes that contain it, but in this perfume I don't mind it at all because it is so well-blended with all the light and fresh ingredients.
I recommend anyone who hasn't yet tried Aromatics Elixir to get a sample; you are missing out on a heavenly fragrance, in my opinion.

taboo2287

how haven't i discovered this beauty earlier??? i was going to the mall to watch a movie and i passed by the department store to get a bottle of YSL Opium (which they didn't have) and the lady on the Clinique counter suggested AE to me i was hesitant to try but then she said: i will spray it on your wrist and you decide and she did, at first i didn't like it but while i was watching the movie i couldn't stop sniffing my wrist every 2 minutes OMG what a beautiful scent naughty rich complicated wow, the movie ended and while i was going down the stairs my friend said: you smell so good ;) 1 spray and it was all over the place! the next day i went and purchased it :D and btw it lasts for 24 hours <3

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

There was a woman in my workplace who used to wear this fragrance. I wanted to tell her (but did not) that the fragrance was delicious, but would be even more pleasant if she used less: she'd worn it so long she was no longer sensitive to it and tended to apply too much. Fresh, green, dry,sweetened with white florals, but with depth. It is good.

ms rochambeau
ms rochambeau

jtd is right! I had the same experience with this scent: HATED it when it first came out and for all of the years after (30+ years), then amazingly, out of nowhere yeasterday I decided to pull out a small partial bottle of AE that soemone had passed on to me years ago to give it a try. BAM! I don't know what hit me, but suddenly this scent was like a newly discovered treasure. I couldn't stop smelling my wrist. If you love heavy vintage-style chypres, this is something you should try and if you don't like it, try again later. This scent is in the vein of Gucci No. 3 Mitsouko and Patou 1000 and layers well with Patou 1000 as I tried that combination yesterday and nearly fell off of my chair it was so gorgeous!

elisabethgenest
elisabethgenest

So apparently a lot of people hate this one, and i guess i can sort of understand why since it is a pretty powerful fragrance. But for some reason, theres something about it that i reallly love and I dont know what it is. Theres this slight lemoney freshness in it behind all this rosey/flowery scents. And theres also something kind of mysterious, sexy and kind of dirty feeling one has when wearing it. So if ever you walk by a Clinique counter, just spray this fragrance in the air and walk in it (or put your hand in the cloud) and thats how youll get the best results. Enjoyyy ;)
p.s. Cult classic...for a reason ;)

cryptic
cryptic

Behold the witch's brew!

Seriously, there has to be some sorcery involved when a fragrance with a nonexistent advertising campaign and plain Jane packaging is able to survive for decades. But thankfully it did, because it is utterly unique and bewitching.

MMC
MMC

Conhecí varias pessoas que amam esse perfume,inclusive minha mãe(é o favorito dela),entendo porque as pessoas geralmente gostam dele,tem um cheiro de natureza,é seco e se mistura a quimica da pessoa.Infelizmente não combinou com a minha quimica,ficou forte,doce e o final não ficou seco e herbal como fica na minha mãe.Mas tem uma fixação extraordinaria umas 12hs e na roupa de cama fixa por semanas mesmo depois de lavada.Uma borrifada já é suficiente se colocar mais ele quase mata os outros.

Elsee
Elsee

Yeah! I found someone who thought this resembled Estee's Private Collection. (Angel10) On my skin, it's almost identical but AE definitely lasts longer.

Both are wonderful! For both: Spray and walk into the cloud. Everyone around you will appreciate this - trust me. (one cloud) :)

mystica

Believe it or not, I have hardships in writing a review about a perfume which I find just perfect. Words are simply not enough to define my olfactory experience if I'm talking about something like Aromatics Elixir. Some perfumes are just meant to be experienced I believe...

Other than that, I can say that AE is a love it or hate it fragrance. You certainly need the chemistry and the correct way of application to pull it off, fully enjoy it, and to receive a lot of compliments.

This is on my top 3 list along with Opium and Youth Dew. So if you like deep, depending on your perception slightly dark and gothic, comforting, incense-y, church-y, and a real unadulterated perfume, look nowhere else.

Use this one carefully. It is potent like no other.

paraskevid
paraskevid

I love this fragrance! It has personality, its loud and very elegant!!

Layman
Layman

No matter how many times I give this perfume away, I always seem to have a bottle on my dresser. Clinique often includes it with their GWP.
I've tried wearing it over the years... about 12 years. This scent does not work on me. It makes me feel nauseas and I can smell it on myself. My nose will not get used to it and for that reason it is unwearable. I cannot be in the same room with someone who has the same chemistry with this scent as I do, it makes me feel like I cannot get air. As a matter of fact it smells on me just like it smells if one sniffs the bottle.
However, I do know many ladies who have been wearing this scent as their signature fragrance for years and interestingly on them it smells beautiful, totally different to the way it smells on me.On them this fragrance develops beautifully. This brings me to the conclusion that aromatics is only meant for some.
I do not practice spraying scent on my clothing. It can damage my clothing. Also I like to connect with scent and be personal with it.

PseudoCz
PseudoCz

For me, this is a love case. A scent hard to describe with a thousand facets. I must confess: I wanna the eternity to analises and take all his sides. Use it with EXTREME CAUTION, just a 1 or 2 sprays are more than enough for open spaces (at night). If you want to use it at the day, make like calyx93 says: just walk into a small cloud.

First wear: this is sour, green and flowery in all stages without much distinction between them.

Second wear: what a powdery fragrance! some acid notes too.

Today wear: rather nutty smell (maybe coriander) goes until the end, blended in top with strong green-aldehydic storm, a bit tart and acid. Powdery bouquet is introduced in this sour blend, getting softer. Now comes the smoky base with those classic chypre elementes: bitter and at the same time, fresh fusion of woods and grass such as patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver. Sandalwood make it more balanced and a little (just a little) warm. I love the incense note making it mysterious and sensual.

On my skin:

Sillage: extreme
Longevity: excellent, around +9h on skin, specially in clothes (more than 1 day)

jtd
jtd

I got a lesson in love and hate in fragrance from Aromatics Elixir. There are plenty of fragrances that on the first try I found uninteresting. Maybe I came to this conclusion as the top notes faded, maybe boredom set in by drydown. But I disliked AE. It was bitter chamomile, bitter oakmoss, bitter herbal along with that earthy/sacharrine imbalance that patchouli can have. I just couldn’t stand it. Until, without any feeling of transition, I thought it was one of the greatest perfumes I had ever smelled. Not just appreciation. I loved it.

I can’t really dissect this scent. I don’t have the analytical nose for that. But I don’t even want to. One thing I particularly love about Bernard Chant’s work is that I want to get taken for the ride. I don’t want to hear about the notes and all the stuff that’s in it. These are the moments of synergy that are made smaller by investigation. Let AE drive the car.

calyx93

The secret to wearing this is to NOT spritz it on your skin. After bathing and while undressed, spray once into the air in front of you and walk through the cloud.

This is enough and any more will kill a person at 25 feet. Done this way, under the clothing, it will give you the gorgeous dry down scent that everyone complains about having to wait many hours for. It can be much more discrete than most folks think. The dry rose, dark musk and deep patchouli - plus those glorious aldehydes - are blended just perfectly and will give you a glow like no other scent can.

Still one of the best examples of the chypre genre, has very high quality composition and deserves its status as a true classic. I will never be without a bottle ... and I'm male ;)

domenicamartinello
domenicamartinello

My mom's signature fragrance. She likes heavy, potent bad boys like this one. Some days it smells nice on her, but it's REALLY easy to overdue and if you're around her up to 3 or 4 hours after she's just applied it - CRINGE, so headache inducing. After about 4 hours it settles down and smells okay.
The thing that really bothers me is that this perfume stays on fabrics for EVERRRRRR. I can never borrow any clothes from my mom cuz they all smell like Aromatics, no matter how much it's been washed.

Jomoves
Jomoves

This fragrance is the bad boy of my perfume collection.

I know he's all wrong. I know I should know better. I thought I'd learned my lesson before, and everyone I know says he and I don't make sense. Even my best friend doesn't like him. But when all is said and done, I find him as attractive as I do repulsive. It's all in the chemistry, baby, and there's no fighting that!

papergurl
papergurl

I wore this in my early 20's and revisted it a few years ago. It is a late autumn winter scent that brings me back to 5th Avenue windows and the Met at Christmas. Chicago on a blustery autumn day. A comfort scent that wafted spice when I put on my winter coat and beret. Many of your analyses are spot on, but I believe a scent is what it evokes for you and the impression it leaves with others. I spoke with a long absent friend recently and he commented "you always smelled like the most wonderful spice in wintertime", made me smile. AE is not my favourite, but it still adds some spice to wintertime and some great memories as well.

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

AE freaks me out every time I smell it. How can something so obscene, so raunchy, so strong, so artificial, so 1960s drugstore, so Bunny Lake is Missing smell so fantastic? It's a true wonder, a masterpiece, a specimen of bizarrerie. I love it but would probably be red-faced of embarrassment if I tried to wear. Kouros, Yatagan, Kiehl's Musk--none of them are as uncomfortably sexual to me; I don't know if it's an association with something I've forgotten or if it affects a lot of people that way. Wow. If we didn't live in a Jean Claude Ellena world it would probably not be so startling, although I find it hard to imagine.

CHIMII
CHIMII

I wholeheartedly agree with Musicaficta's comment. Time we all started to review like the adults we are supposed to be and stop using negative or ageist terms, apart from being very offensive it also sounds so ignorant - once I read "old lady...." I just switch off so the rest of the reviewers comments are lost on me.

Come on ladies (and gentleman) - let's act like adults and start using our vocabulary properly!

Aprilily
Aprilily

This is a love it or hate it scent. I loved it--all of my friends and bf hated it. I ended up giving away my bottle to a coworker. Is it possible that it smelled horrid on me and I didn't notice? Is that possible?

musicaficta
musicaficta

I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM USING THE TERMS "GRANDMA" AND "OLD LADY" IN A DISPARAGING WAY!!! I TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS; NO GROUP OF PEOPLE SHOULD BE SINGLED OUT AND PUT DOWN LIKE THIS-- AGE, RACE, GENDER, RELIGION, SExUAL ORIENTATION, ETC. FRAGRANTICA NEEDS TO DO A BETTER JOB OF MONITORING THIS.

IF YOU FEEL THAT A FRAGRANCE MIGHT BE BETTER FOR AN OLDER PERSON, THERE ARE KINDER, MORE DIPLOMATIC WAYS TO PHRASE IT. (PLEASE SEE JANECANDY BELOW.)

THANKS TO "GRANDMA" WE HAVE SUCH CLASSICS AS L'HEURE BLEU, MITSOUKO AND APRES L'ONDEE, AMONG OTHERS. ALSO, THANKS TO GRANDMA, YOU ARE LIVING AND BREATHING. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, AROMATICS ELIxER IS FROM MY GENERATION AND I CAN'T STAND IT.

IT IS NOT OKAY TO DISRESPECT OLDER PEOPLE, OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.

chowchow41

I am jealous at the people that smell so good when they wear this perfum. I do not get the powdery soft smell that a lot of people do. They have the perfect chemistry to wear this one as it should be. I love the way it smells in my nose. It is a scent that make's me calm and save. Lady's keep wearing this gorgious perfum so i at least can smell it the way it should. Because it doesn't smell so good on my skin.

thisiswater
thisiswater

The only perfume I've worn that stops people in their tracks! Especially men. I've only had positive comments and a few begging to know what it is. It's an addictive fragrance for those who respond to it. There is something so warm and primal about this perfume. Made by one of the greatest noses in the world and recognized as great same.

What I find so riveting about this perfume is its association *in any way* with clean, almost-sterile, innocuous, perky Clinique! Someone please explain this to me! There they are, the SAs in their white lab coats selling reasonably priced, classic, and very practical skin care and makeup to the masses while this dark, robust sex bomb lurks just below the counter! Completely vexing!

DarkViolet
DarkViolet

If I should name some uneasy yet significant fragrances Aromatics Elixir would probably be the first coming to my mind.

Some months ago the mere thought of spraying this one on my wrists would have just sounded absurd and very disappointing to me (a gentle way to say I used to hate AE with my entire olfactory sense :)).
No way I could have managed to wear something so strong, harsh, outdated and absolutely intrusive, though my mum kept on telling me this is a great scent and bla bla bla (she might have been kind of influenced by her cousin because she didn't like this kind of killer scents before, at all!).
Just recently I've decided to give Aromatics Elixir a try on my skin, having some sprays from my mother's bottle once in a while.

Coming to the fragrance itself, I first have to agree with some reviews below about the discouraging opening.. I mean, what do the top notes smell like? An oily and aromatic medicament, a bunch of dried flowers with some spices in or maybe a concoction of the strongest smelling herbs and citruses peels ready to be part of a witchery potion? I just don't know.. geranium and chamomile are perfectly detectable here and it's easy for me to say they are among the (very few) floral notes I really can't stand, mostly if combined with spices and aldehydes. No and no.
Once survived to this part the fragrance shows an unexpected smoothness.. the golden cap and liquid are just a perfect match with the scent, creating something precious and a bit distant like an ancient jewel reflecting its light through a darkened room.
Rose and carnation play the main role in the heart, while some shy and fragile white flowers try to balance the thick, powerful and overwhelming floral accord in which aldehydes components will not completely fade away.. just a bit tuned down since the opening.
The drydown? Well, I should save what I have written until now and post the entire review on the late night because this fragrance has a longest development (an unbelievable longevity and tenaciousness on skin and - overall - on clothes). I will just say the base of AE results on my skin as a kind of smokened (the incense maybe?) musk and patchouli accord, a carnal embrace which tends to fade away very, very slowly...

Chypre accords, aldheides floral and aromatic notes, a touch of woody-oriental vibe.. Aromatics Elixir seems like a little perfumery's encyclopedia, there's a bit of almost everything in it (except the fruity-gourmand I guess). I also suppose this is a great quality fragrance from the oiliness of the juice.

I can't love you Aromatics Elixir, you're too distant from what I like, too serious I fear and you surely need the right person to wear you.. still I'm starting to appreciate your strenght and your undeniable bossy mood, and now I no longer hate you :)

archie
archie

For me this fragrance works best layered. Alone it's just too astringent/sharp. When I layer it with something sweet/floral - then it's perfect.

JaneCandy
JaneCandy

Perhaps this fragrance is before my time, but I find that it makes me think of an older women, which at my age is not appealing in a fragrance. I would not wear the fragrance, but would definitely buy it for my mother.

October
October

This is definitely my favourite fragrance.

Now, for those of you that wish to wear AE but say that you can't because this fragrance and your chemistry do not match, i may have a remedy.

This may sound silly, but if you detox your system through a cleansing program and/or drink plenty of water (a 1/2 gallon to a gallon a day, I'm serious)you will be able to wear ANY fragrance and you will smell great.

getora
getora

STRONG SCENT FOR WOMAN WITH VERY STRONG PERSONALITY.

cinsot
cinsot

If this perfume had arms it would give you a big hug, I'm sure of it as it wraps itself around every one of your senses with its warm-blooded spicy aroma (when applied conservatively; those AE devotees with heavy hands miss the point entirely I think).

The ultimate wintertime comfort scent for me. Chilly wet winter nights seem less gloomy snuggled up in the cosy heartfelt tranquil embrace of Aromatics Elixir's savory zest.

One of my grandmother's favourite perfumes when she was alive and as I'm maturing it is becoming one of mine too. Go Nan!

Grehjohrt
Grehjohrt

All I get from this perfume is sickly sweet, musty candlewax. My aunt wears this, and when she comes over the scent engulfs my whole house. Yuck!

pamwmsn
pamwmsn

Love this fragrance and have worn it for years but only the body smoother. The perfume is too strong for me. I get compliments on the scent a lot. Have had several MEN to say "are you wearing Aromatics Elixir?". Very distinct fragrance.

I first got a small bottle of this ages ago as part of a gift with purchase. It was my first experience with a chypre scent. It smelled very strong, cloying, and artificial on me, although I could detect a heart within in that was amazing and I wished I could smell only that, and get rid of the stuff that didn't agree with me. After a few tries I gave up on it. Then one day, I passed a very fashionably chic, beautiful young woman on the street, and I inadvertently got a whiff of her perfume. It smelled incredible and I knew I recogized it. It was Aromatics Elixir! It was the heart of the perfume that I loved, that came out so beautifully on her. I thought to myself "must try this again", so I did. With the same unfortunate results as the first time. This time, I got rid of the bottle. Fate approached me again recently when I inherited another small bottle of this from a family member, and of course I thought of that woman on the street and how good she smelled. I tried it again. Same sad results. I've now officially given up wearing this, as much as I desperately want to. In my mind, Aromatics Elixir will always be synonymous and ingterchangeable with that beautiful chic woman who walked by me on the street. They are forever one and the same. If you are one of those women, do not hesitate to wear this with abandon. The rest of us wish we could be you.

devaluxe
devaluxe

I absolutely LOVE the way this smells. My wonderful boss wears it as her "signature fragrance" and it's delightful on her. She definitely has figured out the magical amount to wear to smell warm and inviting without screaming to the world. She sprays her clothes ONCE the night before. That's it. I asked for and received a small bottle one year for my birthday and tried the same thing and found I received a TON of compliments every time I wore it. Lovely fragrance when worn in the right amount.

Tracyellen1619

I also have to add that the Clinique trainers that conducted classes always stressed that this is a perfume meant to be sprayed into the air and then walked into. Don't spray it directly on your skin!! Let the mist envelop you.

Tracyellen1619

I worked for Clinique in the mid eighties when I was about 20. One of the other gals that I worked with was the same age. I can't tell you how much I hated this back then. To tease each other, we would hide behind the counter and then spray when we came around the corner. Slowly over the years, I began to appreciate it because I met women that smelled divine wearing it. It is not for the timid. Tremendous sillage and lasting power and the people that wear it well smell amazing and it becomes their signature. I love it on others, but I can't wear it myself. It always smells too harsh, too medicinal. My skin doesn't warm it up. Chances are, if you love it, everyone thinks you smell amazing. It's definitely not one of the inoffensive fruity or aquatic smelling perfumes.

NanAxlRose
NanAxlRose

Oh goodness it´s great!! Warm, spicy, sexy. Like burning insense.

elee69
elee69

This is one of the most strongest perfumes out there. I love it and have worn it for 20 years. A little goes a long way, one spray is all you need. sometimes i only spray on my clothes, my whole closet smells for 3-4 months. This is potent. If you are not careful, it will make you sick and nauseous. You will either love it or hate it. More of a mature scent. Can't imagine anyone under 30 wearing this.

I do not like this one either and find it too strong. It's the signature fragrance of someone I know. Sometimes you just connect people too much with their scent and then it is even more difficult to like the scent.
I found this scent too be very aromatic and also very medicinal. I even got a bad remark on it when I sprayed the mini that was given to me. I never used it again.

AmeliaCamellia
AmeliaCamellia

When I wear Aromatics Elixer, I have people stopping me to ask what I'm wearing, and they tell me they love it. I guess beauty is in the nose of the observer. I can't understand people hating it, but then I hate some other fragrances myself, such as everything with the name Elizabeth Taylor on it, and Fendi, which smells like industrial bug spray to me.

Louw
Louw

I've tried, but I just can't get to like AE. It's too overpowering, however little of it is used and something about it makes me feel a little nauseous - I'm not sure which element it is that has that effect.

It's one of those fragrances that smells okay when it's first applied, but then deteriorates quite quickly. I find it unpleasantly herbal - almost medicinal. Then when it dries down, I find the woody base rather chemical-smelling.

Not for me.

nellyrlight

My ALL TIME favourite perfume! I have used many bottles of it throughout the years..If you think it's too strong for you, yes it is a heady scent and you should use it sparingly..Just spray it on your cleavage after shower and nowhere else..And see how you like (fall in love with) it then!

Tye kristoher
Tye kristoher

This is the most gross nastiest fragrance I have ever smelt in my entire life and that is no joke! Too strong and old woman at a casino.

HazelMae
HazelMae

I had read about Aromatics Elixir many times, thought it sounded like my kind of thing, went to smell the tester in the store and said "blech!"

At the time I didn't realize that sniffing the cap is not an effective way to sample a perfume. I got a tiny bottle that was included in a Clinique giveaway and tried it on. I still didn't like the opening, which I now recognize as aldehyde/rose/chamomile. Those aldehydes are a real boot in the head. But once the drydown started, wow! It is exactly my type of thing. The drydown is a beautiful, rich, deep patchouli-oakmoss that is quite different from hippie scents in that it has a quite soapy edge to it. The drydown might take about an hour to kick in, but once it does, it lasts all day for me. I can't think of any other fragrance that has this much sillage and longevity. Throughout the day I catch the scent and it does indeed have that fabled aromatherapy effect for me. If I indulge in some of the kind of imagery people like to put in perfume reviews, I'd say it reminds me of mythological forest-dwellers found in every culture - hauntingly beautiful but not necessarily benevolently-inclined to humankind.

This might be some kind of classical conditioning thing, but after a while I started to enjoy the sour opening as well.

Castor
Castor

It did shock me the first time I gave it a full wear because of the obvious presence of aldehyded-geranium notes morphing into rose accords, so later I decided to layer it with patchouli eo. (BTW, this drew compliments).

I kept on trying this at home, AE is one of those scents that in my case call for sensory analysis. I find it very complex and not an easy one to get, at all, besides the fact that several questions come to mind when testing this, for example, the notes I perceive during the time the fragrance evolves and the associations and descriptors I can think of.

Today, when sniffing it on my arm, I realized that what was getting me was this herbal animalic accord, which could be due to musk, the note which might explain its masculine character: as mentioned so many times, AE is a women's fragrance that can be worn by men. Thus, the floral accords would be suddenly forced to a turn in direction by musk, before proceeding to a gentler dry-down.

I strongly belief this last effect is the reason why AE is so difficult to appreciate, for it makes the blend smell somehow discordant - it is not the usual development found in most blends, for the initial olfactory proposal radically changes after minutes, somehow similar to a trader that sells you some good, being that due to the manufacturer's prowess it magically morphs when using it.

I have to make clear that this is what the ones wearing it could perceive; however, what others smell on those wearing AE might be another completely, different story.

Addenda: a chypre, yes - rose, oakmoss and patchouly. Roses are flowers, so "floral" chypre might be redundant. Mix these three oils and you will get Aromatics Elixir, so you might as well understand the reason for its manly character, namely, oakmoss and patchouly being the ones responsible for these attributes. What about the original Chypre by Coty? Sorry, no idea about it whatsoever...

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

Indescribable and splendid.
In first begins very herbly .I feel the rosemary ,verbena and coriander as from true princely scent.
For several minutes is developed splendid,pretty aroma. How I sprayed in the office straight off the person sitting several metres he asked what the scent and he began to look about.
After 30-40 minutes this scent becomes clean ,pure, delicate from flowers of the choice high quality essence. Reminds sisley soir but is more delicate of them,more light.Yes is truth I feel little Mitsouko too.
I remember as two years back I returned from Austria and in the book I had in bloders scents Etro: Etra , Margot, new tradition. How I opened this book after half the year so just it smelt as Arom.Elixir. Splendid !!!

majatyme
majatyme

I wish I could wear this perfume!! When my mom wears it it smells amazing!! But on me it just does not suit me and does not smells anything like what it smells like on my mom.

lapurrla
lapurrla

A small spray is very, very strong. Strong soapy aldehydic blast is hard to cope with but I persevere. It calms down eventually, thankfully, because I'm not sure how much longer I can persevere with my test. Different from anything I recall trying before. What a fascinating fragrance, but really NOT my cup of tea. Would this be a case of not me wearing the perfume but the perfume wearing me? But still an interesting ride on the fragrance rollercoater.

Angel10

I have just smelled this again (body lotion), and it IS very soothing....I think I will put it on lightly after my bath today and enjoy it, just for me.

Update: This is a therapeutic aroma. That is my classification for it. It soothes, calms, and almost protects. It also seemed to help with my migraine this week believe it or not!

I will have the lotion for therapeutic purposes, but not as a fragrance for now. Is magical, but not sexual. I guess everything needn't be about sex hey?

Good stuff.

Vamy69
Vamy69

Not for the faint of heart! This is some potent perfume! It kind of reminds me of a cross between...Youth Dew, Cinnabar & Opium with some Samsara & YSL Elle thrown in. If you are looking for something that will last until the cows come home this is the perfume for you! Use with a light hand!!! Good stuff!!!!

TillyWave

Aromatics Elixir, how I love you. You are a hold out from another time, yet you hold so many secrets underneath. Sometimes I find fruit, or a flower, or a wild herb. Sometimes I am in the woods with you, or in a bright field, or in a dark forgotton corner of a mysterious house. You may be florals or aldehydes swirling on top, but underneath there is always moss and vetiver and patchouli, not polished or clean but somehow fuzzy and murky. I can be walking around downtown with you, or just reading at home with some iced tea, I always look forward to wearing you.

I can see why people don't like you, but when I sense what they dislike I think I like you even more.

Lady Love
Lady Love

This fragrance is a Tender and Classic Chypre from the 70's.

This kind of Chypre are quite different from those who were made in past. They are more light, delicate and pleasant. Anyway Chypre category is still a Love or Hate topic. I don't love Aromatic Elixir but i really like it, and I think Aromatic Elixir and Diorella are both very well made and inoffensive Chypres.

jellybeantree

God I wish I could wear this fragrance. I tried the edt and it was a disaster! I am hoping my chemistry has changed and that the bottle I got sprayed with had turned! I will try the edp and cross my fingers this time.

Adrien02
Adrien02

In the '80s this was my 'big girl' fragrance, to wear as a sign that you had matured and 'finally arrived'. To me it spelled mysterious sophistication
and unbeknowest to me at the time became my reason to fall head over heels for aldehydes. I still have a corner of a bottle from way back when. I rarely use it anymore since my significant other has told me that it reminds him of his 80-something neighbor.
Bummer . . . but I still do love it. Yes, I do sometimes get reminded of bug spray when I smell it but then it does a twist within my olfactory senses and I get a balsamy patchouli aldehydic scent; totally wins me over. I used to have the body cream and it suited me better than the EDP for summer wear.

Angel10

I just don't understand this one at all. I'm one smart cookie too. But this is like University level Calculus or something.

I still have it in my collection, and in the body cream to tone it down as suggested, but I just cannot wrap my head around it as a fragrance.

I don't like AE, but I don't dislike it. I usually give all of my frags that aren't in my LOVE or LIKE list away to family, but I cannot seem to part with it either.

Maybe I sense that at 40 years old, I am not quite ready for it, but on some level I think that it totally lacks any sex appeal. I don't think I will be ready for it even when I am 80. I don't know.

It's just not quite right. I have never smelled Ben-Gay, but my nose tells me it might smell like AE. I will find and smell some Ben-Gay this week....review to follow! Tee hee! Jokula.

Update 2 mins later: I have just read wdrlnd's review, and I am very sorry. I believe that your view is how many people see AE, and I sure want to! Maybe someday. I know there is SOMETHING about it, but I haven't "got it" yet. I do love patchouli & depth, but I might just be too immature for this one. Maybe I will just never grow up this much.

I think that Estee Lauder's Private Collection runs along the same vein as AE, but is sexier, less medicinal, and easier to wear. Both have kick-ass lasting power.

Lovely review wonderland!

wndrlnd
wndrlnd

Thank you Queenkey for addressing the "old lady" reference. As a community, perfume lovers should boycott that description. My 84 year old grandmother is the most sophisticated woman I know, and she always smells wonderful. "Old lady" means nothing, let's be a little more creative.
Elixir, while I wouldn't perfume myself with it, smells magnificent to me! I have a small sample that I've blotted with a tissue and laid on my nightstand. Incredibly warm and rich. It's one of the few fragrances that lifts patchouli up off the ground and into the heavens. Woods, moss and roses, to me it smells like an enchanted forest of golden-leaved trees.

queenkey
queenkey

I like to know what is an old lady smell? Just think, many of those old ladies were young and appreciated quality fragrances. We may consider them "old Lady" because of the depth and combination gathered by the the perfumers. Clinique elixir is one of those scents. And guess who is still around! Yes, you have your younger designers coming out with such an array of scents you can't keep up with them.

But the "old" quality scents many cherish because of the brave tenacity to try something different! I appreciate the depth of the chypre and it's like no other. Yes, application should be light, in this way not only you but others can value its sillage.

calyx93

A truly glorious chypre - strong and spiky in the beginning, then drying down into a lush bed of blurred florals, musk and mosses. And it's positively unisex as well. All men should try this before going to AE's fraternal twin, Aramis 900. I've been wearing this for nearly ten years now, and nobody believes that it could possibly be Aromatics Elixir - not the slightest bit "grandmotherly" at or suffocating all. A man's skin chemistry can change it dramatically. The floral notes blur and mesh perfectly with the deep patchouli and oakmoss to give a timelessly strong, present and confident aura.

Believe it or not, I can actually wear this at my office without offending a soul - it's all in the application. Discrete spritzes in discrete places ;)

sparkybish
sparkybish

It's 1981. I'm at the park, where my dad is coaching my soccer team. I do something to irritate my dad, and in a rare moment, he loses his temper with me and sends me to the station wagon to wait for him. I am in big trouble. But being in trouble never stopped me from rummaging around the car. I open the glove box and what do I find? A tiny plastic spray bottle. What is it? I must spray it! I MUST SPRAY IT ALL! In a closed confined space. I don't like it. It makes my eyes feel funny. And now I have pain behind my eye. My father comes to the car. I am crying. I am hiding in the back of the station wagon and sobbing. He is mad at me for making the car smell, but then he realizes I am throwing up and can't focus on his face. He races me to the hospital. I have my first migraine. The car smells like this on a hot day until 1990 when my parents finally sell it.

This experience has shaped the way I look at many scents, and I think it is why I can not use a scent with patchouli in it, in any form.

kbswims
kbswims

I think this is the worst smelling perfume on the market. It smells like someone sprayed the room with insecticide. There is nothing pleasant about it.

I've smelled it on others, not just in the bottle on the cosmetics counter....first time was in the locker room with a bunch of ladies getting ready for work. I thought the maid or janitor had sprayed BUG SPRAY. Then I realized someone had put on this horrid perfume.

Then, to be fair, I tried it on myself....equally as horrible. I had to wash it off instantly. I would like to know what others find appealing about a scent that it so sharp and synthetic smelling. Not at all clean and refreshing.

IngeJP
IngeJP

This perfume is just me....
Using it, it feels just like i've found myself again.
Its a smell i can get lost in, it is seducing.
The first note i always smell putting it on is patchouli, what I totally adore.
It also kind of brings me in a balanced mood, or is it just my imagination going on a run with me??
anyway, i think i found my perfume-match!!

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

I've worn this for years. I no longer wear the EDP, but choose the body spray and shower gel. In that concentration it is subtle, never overpowering....still luscious and different from anything else. It never fails to get me compliments.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

My Nonna loves this fragance, its her signature scent and it brings me back to the good old days of childhood lol, very nice strong scent...... i love it

Spring rose
Spring rose

I love this one so much. It's perfect for my skin. I find it strong, very lovely and romantic. You can feel the forest in it, smell the trees and touch the grass and wet ground. So deep and yes, it smells like something old but I wouldn't change it. I know most people don't find it easy to wear but we all have something we love.

oona noir
oona noir

The first hour was grandma's dusty attic. Then I got attacked by SOAP! Almost as bad as the opening of Chanel No 22. After 4 HOURS, it finally settled down and was just gorgeous. I just don't have the patience to wait a fragrance out like that on a regular basis. The really disturbing part was that when it hit the unending soap, it was very recognizable. I almost stared at my wrist in horror- "you mean, women don't just naturally end up smelling this way? They buy a perfume that smells like this? And wear it? In public?!"

I'm going to try the lotion and see if there's a better result, because I really did enjoy the way it smelled at the 4 hour mark, but I'm not willing to smell like those dusty soaps in the guest bathroom for half the day to get there.

rednut
rednut

I don't wear this often but when I do, I love it.Its big and loud, even on drydown. It is a scent that you either love or hate (like poison). Nothing else like it that i've found but try it before you buy it, its not for the faint hearted

TillyWave

Aromatics Elixir. It does seem to be a love it or hate it. Me? I've found love. Out of all the perfumes I've tested over this long year I finally think I've found a true love.

Even amoung those who claim to like it dislike the topnotes. I LOVE the top notes. They are a bit intimidating, sure, straight from the cap, but the fuzzy-musky sage/chamomile/honey waterfall topnotes are heaven to me. I also like it because chamomile is an unusual note.

The heart is simply one of the best florals I've come across. The florals are deep and autumnal and rosey. They indeed have a sweet edge of a warm fall day in the woods when you are crushing leaves underfoot, but maybe there is a greenhouse nearby and you can catch the flowers in the air.

The drydown is very musky, woody, mossy, dark, intense, I love it.

For those looking for an old school oakmoss fragrance this is it. Oakmoss extract is listed on the ingredients. The oakmoss purrs it way through the whole scent. So does the pachouli.

I am used to the 4 hour stints offered by Annick Goutal and Bulgari, so I was really surprised when 2 sprays (applied to my neck and then dabbed on to my pulse points) lasted me 12+ hours.

AE is quite strong. I don't suggest spraying it on and then immediately taking a long car ride with someone, or sitting next to an innocent stranger in the theater.

A few years ago, if I simply smelled the cap at the department store, and probably would have said 'yuck' and left it at that. But luckily Clinique still makes AE and I would bet money that the formula hasn't changed much. I hope they never clean it up and sanitize it for today's Pink-Heiress-Circus-Glow noses.

I am so glad I found this.

gazelle
gazelle

Let me start by saying I don't wear AE to church. It would be too distracting. I'll wear it around my husband who likes it and for myself whenever, but not too often. I'm one of the curious who walked around a tall counter to find the person wearing the most enchanting fragrance wafting over. I didn't know about its value as an aromatherapy scent. I know I feel fantastically happy while wearing it. Is that why? I love the way the scent clings to pillowcases and collars. Ummm...

Chibichaca
Chibichaca

This did not work for me at all. It started out smelling like plastic. Later it turned into a cheap-smelling floral-scented bug spray. I tried many times and always got the same results.

This is going to be a weird review. This fragrance seems rather two-faced.

When I sprayed it on, the first hour was revolting. Based on the glowing reviews I forced myself to continue wearing it. It smelled like sour, dry grass--like hay. I felt like I was at the children's petting zoo with the goats and sheep. I could smell chamomile, a scent (and tea) I detest. The whole concoction was just heavy and sour.

A (long) hour later, things changed for the better. Or maybe it's just the power of suggestion? I began to smell touches of incense, vetiver, and moss--now we're talking! I went from being in a petting zoo to being on a walk in the woods. Definitely aromatherapy. The longer I wore the perfume, the better it got. I'm buying this one! It's reasonably priced too.

Update: I looked at the reviews from the Nordstrom website. Almost everyone who bought this perfume was over 50, and one person in the 65+ category said they buy it for their mother.

Update: Tried the body cream, and it's gorgeous! The sour note is completely gone and it really compliments the perfume.

Melancholy Child, have you ever had the chance to try out Lancaster Chantage? It really reminds me of Aromatics Elixir, but I cannot seem to find the notes of the Chantage.. Maybe you know it?

nickinotnikki
nickinotnikki

I work with a woman who wears this. Another coworker of mine calls it 'eau de c00ch'. Yeah, it STINKS.

I read that the drydown was unisex so when the opportunity came up to do a swap, I acquired a partial bottle of this. When I took the cap off, I could smell the aldehydes, and it also smelled sweet and a bit animalic. I decided to decant a tiny bit into a vial so that I wouldn't have to deal with the top notes, and hopefully the aldehydes and sweetness would be less of a problem that way as well.

It may have helped a bit, but this is too aldehydic for me and too floral for my tastes. It's not as animalic or sweet as thought it might be, however. In short, there isn't enough going on beyond the aldehydes and floral notes for me to be interested in it, nor to consider it unisex. However, someone with a different skin chemistry, one that really "eats up" fragrances, might have a different perception.

kezbekistan
kezbekistan

I first noticed this on a work colleague... the sillage was subtle and evocative. Like patchouli and flowers, just beautiful. When I asked her about it, she told me she used the body cream, as she found it lasted longer, and was more subtle. So naturally, I went out and bought the parfum ;-) First spray, and I nearly dropped dead. It STUNK! I was appalled... even the dog recoiled in horror. Too late to do anything about it as I was running late for work. So I went to work with the rank stench all about me. But wait! What was that? The stench had dissipated, and in its place was the most glorious aroma. Earthy, damp, mossy. Like a deciduous forest in autumn, despite the abundance of tropical flowers. Nothing out-of-this-world, like Alien, but totally of this earth. Not a 'fake' or 'chemical' sort of scent, but rather a wonderful approximation of nature herself. If you are prepared to bear the "OMG! What the....?!" of the first spray, it's well worth it. Maybe the body cream or toiletries are kinder, and possibly I shouldn't have gone for the strongest concentration of perfume for the first try. But I am SO glad I did. A big thumbs up.

guest_Pumpkin
guest_Pumpkin

I love Elixir. To me it is more like aromatherapy than a perfume. It smells very "spa-y". I went off it for a while when a colleague of mine (whom I disliked) wore copious amounts of it. But now it is back to being my signature scent. I wear the perfume during winter and the cream during the summer. I love it when the scent lingers on my clothes.

cloyd42
cloyd42

This perfume expects you to work a bit and to think critically as you enjoy it sensually. The opening is a shock--the base incense immediately comes up with the bitter sage and coriander. The initial nose is precisely the smell of marijuana smoke. As the rosewood and chamomile come in the scent continues to sharpen. This is the point where even if you dislike the herbal bitterness, bravery will pay off. As it warms carnation and tuberose combine with the orange blossom and orris--powdery and spicy at the same time. As it ripens geranium and oakmoss come up, leaving a scent that is rich and satisfying. I think most people quit when the uncommon bitterness comes up first. As it warms and settles into your skin the perfume softens into a warm rich orange-spice-wood scent that is structured with true greens. Even if you ultimately dislike it you should wear a real spray for several hours and experience a truly sophisticated juice.

Fragaria
Fragaria

This was too strong for me to even try on in the store! It's a winter scent for sure and I am sure it would smell lovely on someone else. I have a heavy hand and would kill this scent lol. I am almost positive it's the kind of scent that smells good if you picked up someone's scarf that has worn it. I think borrowing someone's scarf the next day is the only way I'd be able to wear this. Even if sprayed very lightly I think it would be too strong until it's worn down and I think smelling it too soon in the "pew" stage would wreck the lingering scent. I think I might always smell that heaviness in the very light trail. This is best left for others to wear and me to enjoy!

kataromic
kataromic

Just treated myself to a bottle. I am returning to it as an autumn and winter scent.

I have worn it to the office for the last two days. I asked my office mate, who has a sensitive nose, if my perfume bothers her. She said she didn't notice I had any on. I do the walk through the mist thing.
This morning someone asked, who's wearing perfume. I said, "I am, is it too strong?"
He said, "No, it's nice."

I love the clean smell of it. It almost smells like soap, but more fiery.

deannab10
deannab10

I had read about this perfume in several different places and my curiousity was piqued. I was at the Clinique counter today and saw a tester sitting there. I spritzed some on a test strip...OMG! Who wears this stuff? I am sooo glad I did not spray it on my skin. It must be an aquired taste, because well...YUCK!

guest_Karo
guest_Karo

This is my signature scent. I chased down my boss in 1987 and have been wearing it ever sense.

I used to wear Este Lauder Youth Dew and still love it but it's not my AE. I spray a full spray and then walk into it and get just the right effect. I do not spray it directly onto me or my clothes.

I always get complements from strangers and I too am protective of this perfume. Isn't that crazy?

I love to have it on my pillows. I feel very exotic when I wear it and yes, I think it is a very expensive and subtle blend of fragrances.

I'll never wear anything else, although it was $35 when I began to wear it and now is almost $70. A bottle lasts almost a year so I'm not complaining.

Anyone who thinks it too strong try my technique and you'll love it.

AE rules!

cherubkiss
cherubkiss

I like to wear this perfume in the winter, very lightly sprayed. I find this perfume very comforting, clean and therapeutic. It uplifts my mood and makes me feel rather elegant. It is not a girlie friuty perfume but a perfume that gives a feeling of well being. What I do know is that people like it too, I recieve many compliments when I wear this perfume. A good perfume for winter but do spray lightly as it is a ultra strong perfume; too much of a spray can be dangerous.

guest_sedi
guest_sedi

i could never wear anything else, after putting it on in the morning, going to the mall,and later to the club, sleeped at 3am and was smoking in between, oh that beautiful scent was there for me all the time....its true it smells like wealth..love it love it love it

beastin
beastin

I adore this fragrance. It was my Grandmother's signature scent and I have loved it since childhood. I would still be wearing it if my husband could stand it. It's a love it or hate it fragrance. Very rich and strong. Lasts for DAYS on clothing and until you wash it off on your skin. Definately a mature scent.

Maki

I can't find the review in which someone mentioned the benefits of wearing the scented bodycream instead of the EDT or EDP..

I'd so much like to thank her!

I kept remembering this advise because, though I was happy finding the EDT, there were times that even that one was a little too much for me.
So I finally bought the bodycream today.

If you're the kind of woman that has a love/hate affair with AE, love for the scent, but hate for it's power, you're gonna love the scented bodycream!
The patchouli is much less prominent and the association with 'bug-spray' that is so often mentioned, won't come to mind, wearing the bodycream...
This really is the tender version of it!
Still is has that same aromatic and sensual feel that so many people love about this scent.
No need to fear that your wearing something offending...just the benefits of this scent.

Redlipstick
Redlipstick

This is my mother's signature scent - and I can't stand it.

It's a classic for a reason I suppose, but I can't get past the overpowering bug spray mixed with mothballs smell. (I don't care for it on skin or on clothing, on myself or on others).

I know I hate aldehydes, incense, orris, ylang ylang and tuberose so perhaps all these together add up to one giant headache for me.

With these type of heavy hitting scents you really need to know what notes you can handle - and do not buy this one unsniffed.

Adding: For what it's worth, Chanel No. 5 also smells like mothballs to me, and it also has aldehydes, orris and ylang ylang. These are notes that I need to stay far, far away from.

guest_Shhh
guest_Shhh

I have worn Aromatics for approximately 30 years now and it still has the same effect on me and on the people around me. (it smells like money and shopping to me, a dark green forest with bones, rust, wood and mystery's as a base.

Men (and women) run down the street after me with a confused and anxious look in their eyes, to ask me what I am wearing.

Thank Goddess that not every-one likes it. It is not meant to be worn by mainstream followers. They will never understand it and this is a good thing.

People that do wear it, tend to be secretive about the name of it. We do not WANT every-one wearing this nectar of the Gods. Personally, I lie about the name every time I'm asked. I tell people it is called, "Secret". How strangely possessive we are. I would never tell a woman "how" to wear it, as I do not want anyone but ME wearing it.
Once, when a couple of teenagers chased me down the street after the name of it, my Ego got the better of me and I sprayed some on them, then swore them to secrecy.
Some people I knew were in a restaurant when the girls ran in squealing and offering their wrists to anyone and everyone. But true to their word, they announced that they could NOT divulge the name. Please Do Not Buy this perfume! And if you do, keep the name a secret.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I like it..."ish", "sorta", "in a way".

At the risk of sounding weird, I'll tell you: The ONLY way I like this perfume on ME, is if I spray it into the air FIRST, then WALK THROUGH THE MIST.

The second I apply it directly onto my wrists or my neck, it becomes an obnoxiously strong...yes...bug spray.

Many of its notes are heavy. Not my favourite kind of woody scent (I prefer cedar), but it does have oakmoss chypre (which I like). I really don't enjoy patchouli or incense but, depending on how heavy-handed you are with your spraying, they needn't stand out.

Still, despite its jumble of ingredients that don't usually agree with me, I find Aromatics Elixir intriguing and pleasant -- if applied LIGHTLY.

I'm telling you, friends, for that cosy, aromatic scent that lasts throughout the day: WALK THROUGH THE MIST! WALK THROUGH THE MIST!

Maki

Update: So I bought the EDT. Good price too for a 45 ml bottle that will go such a long way, taken the fact that you should use it with care.
And, although even the EDT should be used sparingly, I still think that it makes a lot of difference using this or the EDP. Though the scent is comepletely the same, the experience is quite different because it realy is more subtle and less overpowering.
I'm smiling at the reviews saying it is just too much, because I do understand them very well...
Using AE properly is kind of an art and needs skil...using the EDT instead of the EDP may be like using a paintingkit for starters before buying the 'real thing'...
So I consider myself a starter...

Maki

I had this one years ago and I did regret the fact that it gave me a headacke when, at the same time, everybody around me was telling me how good I smelled and was asking me what scent it was....So the question, if I was prepared to suffer a headacke to gain compliments, seemed an unovercomable dilemma...(-:

But yesterday I ran into the EDT...I had never spotted the EDT before...
The more transparent glass seemed to promiss a likewise more transparent scent and, after spraying it on my wrist, it indeed appeared to be less overwhelming and, even more important to me, less 'headacke-inviting'.

Unlike many other scents, like Coco mademoiselle for instance, the EDT has the same notes and smells exactly like the EDP, it has the same lastingpower too but, like I said: it's less overpowering.
Kept it on my wrist the whole evening to make sure it would not give me that headacke and it didn't

I'm thinking of buying it...

Nemia
Nemia

I remember that they marketed it not like a perfume but like a full body healing and relaxing experience... very impressive. I had it as a present 20 years ago and didn't like it - chypre does nothing for me. but when I wore it to honor the friend who gave it to me, I had the most wondrous experience. Strangers stopped me to tell me that they loved my perfume...

It took me some time to finish the bottle and I myself never really got into the scent -but it secured compliments for me wherever I went.

Go figure ;-)

peachtoast
peachtoast

I got this one as a little sample ages ago. It's quite strong, so a little is sufficient, but it's a subtle smell - warm and smoky, clear but not sharp.

It isn't traditionally 'clean' smelling, but when I wear it I feel calm and elegant - it's an interesting scent, gentle but noticeable and a nice alternative to noisy gourmands. I like putting it on my sheets, it helps me to drift off.

zaramona
zaramona

I used to have this one.very special and powerful,sharp and noticable.Imo kinda old fashioned yet sophisticated,pitty i hade to give it away.It was too heavy for me.lasted for ever on my skin without melting down!

Nicole79
Nicole79

Aromatics Elixir ...
Smells strong, very woody and powdery and sooo dry !!!
On my skin the drydown it's very woody and incensy mixed with cigarette smoke !
I find it a bit outdated !..:(

... and yes i agree that a man can wear AE, if he wants to smell old-fashion-classic !

The lasting power is great, it won't go away from you're skin easily!!!

And i can see it as a fall-winter fragrance , perfect for the cold days.
...:)...

bergamot
bergamot

This fragrance stinks on most people. it might even stink on me to others. I've been wearing it for years (20) though and feel like it is the most perfect aromatic magic I've ever smelled.
I loke that kind of enigma. I've been wearing it less as I get older because I feel like it was a more intriguing fragrance for a younger person.

chyprecat
chyprecat

Do you ever get possessive about a scent??? I used to wear Aromatics, and was likely well on my way to being a lifetime user. I had become a skillful purveyor, having sussed that a wee tiny bit of this goes a long, long way, so I never over-used it. If you happen to pass a woman who has happy slapped herself with this stuff, you can be engulfed, and there is no escaping the overwhelming aroma. Don't get me wrong; I love it, but it has to be treated with respect, and used sparingly. I developed the ability to gently depress the spray nozzle just enough for some of this liquid gold to ooze out, so that I could touch an index finger to it to dab my wrists, curves of the elbows, backs of knees and the nape of my neck. Gently does it!!!

An then, my Dad, who did not know the calamity he was causing, bought my Mum a bottle for her birthday, and she has been wearing it ever since.

IT HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM ME!!! When I smell it now, it makes me think of my mum and I can no longer wear it, no matter how much I love it.

Devastating!! A fabulous perfume.

guest_shelli
guest_shelli

I have been wearing AE for nearly 35 years... still get compliments from strangers...still think it is the most unique perfume I have ever worn...still after all this time cannot give it up! I have tried to change but just cannot...some of my friends absolutely hate it, most love it... I guess what counts in the end is what I think...I think it is good!

jellybeantree

My sister wears this and she loves it, have to be honest I find it HORRID on myself, it stays for 2 days on my skin and it is just the worst perfume I have ever tried, EVER!!!! It smells strong powdery rancid and well you get the point. I prefer happy by clinique, it is way better I think! Even 1 spray is too much of this stuff!

guest_Anne.
guest_Anne.

When cver I use this perfume I always recieve a lot of compliments. I work in a hospital and for some reason Patients always ask me what my perfume is I am wearing. I only use a small amout given that it can be overwhelming if sprayed too much. I find it comforting and given the compliments so do other people. It not my favourite perfume but it is like a friend who I know is highly reliable and will never let me down.

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

I got married in this - and was also expecting my first child. My stepmum used to wear it. I guess I found it 'comforting' and 'moving'. I don't wear it any more though really...

kittymoon
kittymoon

This is so rich, woody and clean like no other scent I've ever smelled. This is for the flashy ones. You know a woman that enters the room and all eyes are on her? She is classy and powerfull and drinks strong red wines and wears long floaty skirts and expensive leather boots. She lives in a huge mansion and on Sundays you will find her playing cello or riding through the nearby forest. You can still smell her two days after she left.

Marisa36
Marisa36

My late mother's signature scent. Smells clean and spicy at the same time and just means "mom" to me. When I smell it now it makes me want to cry I miss her so much. Rest in peace.

7Hills
7Hills

I sold Clinique back in the 80s for a brief time and this was a Big seller. I used to receive the tester samples to use and I couldnt wear it. It smelled "off" on me. Elixir was a cult favorite to say the least. The cosmetic ladies and I used to make a game out of guessing which customer was going to come up to the counter and buy Elixir. We were right about 9 out of 10 times! As many have written here; its a body chemical reaction that either makes this a winner( love it) or a sad loser ( hate it).

Maoocha
Maoocha

I bought a parfume spray in SaSa years ago out of curiosity. The 1st sniff was so pungent that i wanted to it away immediately but i kept it away and forgot about it.
One day, maybe a year later when i was packing out my things (where AE was kept) i caught a wiff of lovely dry woody patchouli and soon i found the source. I fell in love with this scent and bout a new bottle!! But i found it hard to wear it out as it makes me concious that someone around me may find this offensive.

update: I had gotten a complement that I smell powdery with this. Powdery?

soulsong
soulsong

I purchased this perfume when I was first entering my full blown obessession phase of a pefume addict. First sniff and I pulled back in surprize and a little horror. This was my first sniff of a true chypre. Then with both wrists dabbed with different perfumes, I experienced them. The other was a Boucheron. And I discovered something about myself. I repeatedly sniffed Aromatics Elixir. It dawned on me that I was fascinated with it. Pretty? no. Sweet? no... But fascinating. It is dry, foresty, and endlessly interesting. If I put on a fragrance that sickens me with cloying sweetness I just use my Aromatics Elixir and feel happy again.

guest_thanianeno
guest_thanianeno

Amo muito esse perfume, uso desde 1997, sempre tenho, é tudo de bom, aqui em Belém, é muito dificil de encontrar, é caro, mais vale a pena, sempre que uso, as pessoas comentam: vc tá com um cheiro maravilhoso ou perguntam q perfume é esse?? Amo muito Elixir Clinique

iq2061
iq2061

That is one of my mother scents, and everytime she wears it I think that this perfume smells as if you were spray yourself with hairspray. I really dislike this fragance, but my mother loves it

I can't understand this fragrance. I can almost see why people love it, yet at the same time I can see why people dislike it.

The opening is bitter, strong and alcoholic. To me it smelt like nail polish remover complete with hints of acetone. Not a particulary pleasant olfactory experience.

The heart is fierce and powerful. It's like a floral explosion on your skin. I found it confusing and disturbing to say the least.

I get the medicinal and herbaceous quality that other reviewers have described, in the drydown. It was too green and musty for my liking. In fact it was very difficult for me to identify any particular notes. Aromatics Elixir can be quite messy at times.

I wanted to experience a rich, warming and unique fragrance, but what I received was unwelcoming and strange. I still for the life of me, can't understand this scent. Definitely not my cup of tea.

guest_sherry
guest_sherry

I remember the first time I smelled this scent. I was a cleaning lady in a dental office and one of the assistants would walk past me and I would feel like following her down the hall to catch another whiff. I later found out by asking that it was Aromatics Elixer. I have worn it for years and nothing else quite matches the warmth of the lower notes. Too much though, will drive me into the shower and put me off of it for a while. One little spray on one wrist and blot with the other and then neck is all one needs. I always return to it though. I also like Coco by Chanel, and Secret obsession by Calvin Cline. Nice blog ladies.

loismonahan
loismonahan

Love this one! First smelled it on a real estate agent who was selling my parent's house - couldn't wait to interject - "What is that you're wearing?!" I get more compliments on this than almost any other fragrance (tied with Magie Noir and Bal a Versailles).

guest_Diane dido
guest_Diane dido

I have been wearing Aromatics Elixir since 1982 and I love and will always love it, this blend of exotic perfumes are the most pleasing to my skin and all around have always complimented me on how lovely I am to be close to

guest_Delma Corrêa
guest_Delma Corrêa

Somente uma vez senti o perfume de ELIXIR DA CLINIQUE, foi na Justiça do Trabalho em Belém do Pará uma assistente administrativo do local usava eu não resistir e perguntei qual o perfume que usava e ela me falou que era o elixir da clinique eu nunca mais esqueci aquele cheiro maravilhoso de sabonete lux que nunca passava pena que até hoje eu nunca o tive é muito caro e dificil de encontrar aqui ele esta mais de trezentos reais,sem contar que é só 100ml.se algum frances filantrópico quiser me fazer uma doação agradeço.delmacorrea@yahoo.com.br

Victoria Regia
Victoria Regia

The first stage is a strong, pungent blast of herbal, medicinal notes. Soon, it turns into a fresh rose surrounded by burnt wood. During this stage, the fiery add showing flames around the bottle couldn't be more fitting. The drydown is a completely different beast - a soft, serene, clean soapy scent. Best worn with a light hand as it could easily become overpowering. Very elegant, unique and sophisticated.

Aysu
Aysu

Too much patchouli... Just too much. I love trying strong perfumes and love to see how they grow on me and become more tolerable. But this never turns into a wearable form for me. Anyway I was thinking that as a perfume fan, I can tolerate even this one on a right person until to I met with a lady wearing this perfume in a meeting early in the morning, before I had my breakfast. Smelling it from the bottle is still nice, but I cannot imagine a right moment or a right person to wear it. For me, patchouli & incense dominates all other notes and I cannot feel any flowers, maybe it is my nose, I don't know...

guest_stoob0
guest_stoob0

Ok, I'm gonna be the guy that's here to ask you to stop wearing this crap. It wreaks. Stop it. For the love of all that's good in the world, it doesn't matter if you spray it in the air and walk through it, dab it on your neck or drink the whole bottle and fart it - it smells exactly the same: wet muskrat. Leave it alone. Stop torturing us with it.

Stoob

7seven7
7seven7

The smell of patchouli is too much for me. I usually like bold and confident perfumes, yet I could not like this perfume. My mother wore this perfume and White Linen. I bought her a large perfume of Beautiful by Estee Lauder and Coco by Chanel, and I was glad to know that she loved both of them and made a switch.

Well I love it. My preferred perfume is Coco Channel, but when I can't afford that one, I buy this. It is strong in the beginning, but a little goes a long way. I can still smell it in the evening after a hard day at work. It works for me and yes, people have actually stopped me to tell me how good I smell. When I first tried it in the early 80's it did remind me of bug spray...but now it makes me feel warm all day and it is definitly aromatherapy!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is some strong stuff!!!!!!!!!!!! It has evoked many outcries from people. One said he wouldn't work where I worked if I continued to ware it! Another said it was the cleanest lightest scent she ever smelled! Jeeze Louise!!! Make up your mind folks! I still ware it but now that Im not in a confined area I don't care what anyone thinks of it-EAT CAKE! This a beautiful scent but must stay with winter otherwise its too heavy. I can't imagine waring it in the summer months because its so heady and strong but to each their own. Love the woodsy sandalwood!

LadyTweed
LadyTweed

My husband noticed that I wear Aromatics Elixir when I head out on a tough assignment - it has power. I noted that a number of ladies state that it doesn't work well with their skin chemistry; one small suggestion, when I first used it ( as an eighteen year old in 1979!) I was told to spray it into the air then walk through the vapour - works beautifully and worth a try.

Lyndy Hop
Lyndy Hop

For over a couple of months now, after ordering a mini, I've had a love, not-so-love, like, not-so-like, hate relationship with this one. After all this time, I've finally decided I love it! Upon first spray, I get an intense, incredibly medicinal, assault to my olfactory senses. But, after about five or ten minutes, it does soften and dries down to quite an elegant chypre, although still very unique. It's quite intense and one needs to refrain from being heavy-handed with it, but the drydown, at least on me, is rich and lovely. If you're a fan of heavy chypres, you may like this one once you get past the opening. It's also quite affordable and a little goes a long way.

guest_cr
guest_cr

I have worn Aromatics Elixir for years and I always get compliments from strangers on how good I smell. I live in a warm climate and in the summer months all I use is the body smoother cream. That combined with my warm body gives off a really fresh scent and lasts all day. I've never found another perfume that I like as well.

Tala
Tala

One perfume that I finished the whole bottle. I would not wear it again but at the time I loved it soooo much. It is really spicy and clean. you will not smell like any one else. It is a very unique scent. There is nothing out there even close. If you haven't tried it you should. I am sure you too will finish the whole bottle to the end. I keep my empty bottle in my t.shirt drawer and every thing still smells Aromatic!

milena
milena

It is a love it or hate it fragrance.A little goes a long way, too much can cause headache.I personally love the dry down very refreshing and at the same time sexy.

deeper_shallow
deeper_shallow

Yet another fragrance that can be very elegant and sophisticated on people who are not me - again, one of my coworkers wears this, and I couldn't believe it was the same fragrance I had. My chemistry just makes it smell like something that was forgotten in the back of Grandma's bathroom cupboard, or perhaps something you'd find in an old-fashioned medicine cabinet. Medicinal herbs, old soil, and enough patchouli to keep a New Age shop in business for a year.
Incredible lasting power, though. I've scrubbed my wrist so many times, I'm starting to feel like Lady Macbeth. With extra patchouli.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

I only remembered this perfume when I bumped into a lady wearing it at a party recently; it really suited her, and she said she always wore Clinique Elixir because it reminded her of her favourite drink, champagne poured over freshly picked violets. She said it was the most heavenly taste she knew, and this was the closest scent to it she could find. On her it was warm and intoxicating, but when I owned this years ago, all I got was a weird thirsty geranium note, with a very dry undernote. Doesn't evoke a thing.

Just shows that for every skin, there is a perfect perfume with a story!

sanziana29
sanziana29

I bought the second bottle of Aromatics. It's deserves every single money! It is a classic, but it must be used in small doses. It gives a stylish aura and a soft hint of grass. It leads you to nature and can be used in summer too ( eau de toilette). Enjoy it! Buy it! Cos it's worth!

guest_Cindy
guest_Cindy

My mother-in-law wears this, and I have always loved the scent. I just tried it on my wrists, and it smells nothing like it does on her. I agree with those who recommend trying it on yourself before purchasing.

vialon3
vialon3

I compare the power of Aromatics Elixir with Youth Dew. But while Youth Dew can turn bitter almost sour on the skin after time, Clinique does not. I add it to the morning and/or evening bath and it is wonderful!
Update: A favorite for seasonal change into cooler weather. Very cozy with just a little going long into the day. Stays loyal with a warm, spicy dry down. A very nice perfume.

geta
geta

strong, bitter, meditative, sensual, sharp, GREAT. perfect for me to fall asleep in.

sarahb
sarahb

I first had this as a free sample to try as a brought a load of products by Clinique. i ended up giving it to my nan as she loved the smell. I however couldnt stand it!! It reminds me of a old ladies purfume!! Sorry!!

sky76sky
sky76sky

Oh dear, my honesty has offended - but it is my honest opinion, & one shared by my entire family (up to a very sophisticated 99!). Very rarely does a perfume totally offend me, there is usually something that helps me to at least understand it, but I have struggled with this creation. I am really curious what it is that draws people to this scent - please enlighten me...

guest_SOS
guest_SOS

This scent is real aromatherapy for me for many years. One of the best chypres, very feminine. I think, girls who "hate" this perfume maybe are too young for this unique scent jet. And ,people,never be agressive-it's only chemistry.
Thanks to vertgo for good comment-really "match point".

MinogueParfums
MinogueParfums

It's certainly very spicy, just like my other perfume, White Linen by Estee Lauder. But, aromatics elixir is much more stronger.

Kyrrah
Kyrrah

My Aunt has been wearing this for years and I have started wearing it recently. Very rich, glamorous and stays in the room long after you have left. Timeless and distinctive.

vertigo
vertigo

I thought this fragrance was created in 1972.

Aromatics Elixir is a classic and eternal fragrance. A very long-standing, strong composition, but not causing dizziness.

It was ment to be aromatherapeutic and was an addition to the other cosmetics by Clinique. Soon, it started to be seen as a single and very luxurious product.

Aromatics Elixir is very intensive, but not as tart as a lot of the fragrances from the chypre family. It is exclusive, sophisticated, ambiguous, elegant, intellectual, independent and bold, but not very dominating.

Surely it's not for everyone. It's for exceptional, classy women, individualists, who respect everything that is lasting and eternal, complex and inaccessable. Women with a sophisticated style who know that easy solutions don't guarantee the success. They travel their difficult road to success with a lot of sense of humour and autoirony.

mymlan
mymlan

Aromatics Elixir is a very lovable, refreshing fragrance, like a big bouquet of wild flowers and herbs, still a bit damp as it has been picked early in the morning. In the absolute beginning it is very sharp and herbal but after some minutes the floral heart opens up, adding a warm mild sweetness to the scent from the gardenia, rose and white flowers. On my skin, the oakmoss in the base is quite dominant which also makes the perfume a bit dry and slightly bitter. Therefore I use it most daytime, but it would also balance a very romantic outfit at any occasion. I think Aromatics Elixir is a very classy and feminine fragrance that should be applied with care because of its overpowering nature.

artgoddess
artgoddess

WHen I first spray on this scent, it is overpowering, but it later settles into a herbal fresh scent with a delightful muskiness and mossy scent. I prefer to put this on when my skin is damp from a shower, so that it is not too strong.
If applied to strong, it will make everyone around you sick to thier stomachs!

endora
endora

i had it for test and this felt like a granny scent. i felt like i was 80 years old and didn't feel right. i guess these kind of scents aren't compatible with my skin and personality.

karinska
karinska

It s one of my favorite parfumes, so sophisticated, long lasting , u need a small quantity and it last all day long. If u like aromatic elixir u can try Midnight poison by Dior too.
From the first tine u enter a room your smell will be notice it s hard not to.
It s more a winter fall parfum then summery.

solocha
solocha

This is a dry, non-sweet fragrance. The closest sensation you get from it is if you put on white romantic dress and go into the fields to pick chamomiles, cornflowers and marigolds, or if you lie down in a stack of dried hay in August. It does have a slight quality of herbal medicine. For me it is an alternative to fresh juicy scents to wear in the summer, but it would also suit for Indian summer.

bulyov4e
bulyov4e

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it...
The start is greeny, bitter, herbal. I always experience an initial embarrassement on the first spray! It's inevitable. That's why I use it in tiny quantities. In the course of time, the aroma settles softly on the skin - you will need discipline and patience to sense this feeling. Suddenly the ingredients "appear from the dark" - freshly chopped camomile flowers, ylang-ylang and "cold" jasmine. The oakmoss is always sensible like a mattress on a wet soil.
At the beginning, I am like a cat on hot bricks - as if I have very important work to do and I'm running out of time. Gradually, I calm down and the feeling of herbal shower on my hair and body gets over me - clean and steady. The final accords are most comforting - I finished my work successfully and I am sipping a cup of hot herb tea with lemon by the fire place and I am reading a book for a great woman.
In conclusion, I would say that Aromatics Elixir is not an easy to wear gragrance, but once it's been accepted the self-confidence and contentment are guaranteed!

jeca
jeca

A classy chypre, sophisticated and very radiant.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

There is not typical smell. There are not ordinary perfume. There is fine aroma. Classify it as chypre, but I feel it as smell oriental with wonderfuls elements -herbal , balsamic, with sweetish patchouli. I like Aromatics Elixir. It pacifies - and it disposes for world positively.

guest_Shan
guest_Shan

This is so very very nice. Very aromatic, sensual; it envelopes you and enchants. Not too girlie either. More sophisticated and elegant. Good job, Clinique!

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique 3.34 out of 5 based on 1806 ratings and 383 user reviews

Deodorant 2.5oz
Parfum 3.4oz
Clinique Aromatics Elixir Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Clinique Aromatics Elixir Parfum Spray 100ml 3.4oz
Parfum 3.4oz
Clinique Aromatics Elixir Parfum Spray Limited Edition Floral Bottle 100ml 3.4oz
Parfum 0.85oz
Aromatics Elixir Perfume by Clinique, .85 oz 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Luxe Parfum Extract, Perfumer's Reserve Edition Prestige for Women

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Clinique Aromatics Elixir fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Clinique Aromatics Elixir, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Aromatics Elixir by Clinique. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Aromatics Elixir by Clinique represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.