Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Avignon Comme des Garcons for women and men
dislike

I have it: 774 I had it: 161 I want it: 842 My signature: 19

smoky
Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Avignon Comme des Garcons for women and men Pictures

Comme des Garçons has launched the project Parfums Series 2000. Fragrances of each of the lines are united around the common topic.

Series 3 Incense was launched in 2002 and was devoted to the five main spiritual teachings of the humanity:
Avignon – Catholicism

Ouarzazate – Islam
Zagorsk – Orthodox Christianity
Jaisalmer – Hinduism
Kyoto – Buddhism and Shintoism

Each of the fragrances is named after the cities significant for those teachings.

Avignon is Catholicism, named after the city of Avignon in the south of France, the Provance region. It was a very influential Catholic centre in the 14th century. This is a smell of gothic cathedrals, their vast and high halls, gobelins and tapestries that were absorbing the sacred frankincense smell for centuries.

The top notes open in distinguishing frankincense and myrrh scent, which lead to the mysterious heart of solemn smoky and balsamic notes. The dry vanilla and soft French (Roman) chamomile notes tame and make this inscrutable mystery closer to us.

The main notes are several kinds of incense, chamomile, vanilla, patchouli, rosewood and ambrette.

The nose behind this fragrance is Bertrand Duchaufour.

French labdanum Spices Patchouli Musk oak moss Virginia Cedar Chamomile Brazilian Rosewood Myrhh Olibanum Incense elemi Vanilla Ambrette (Musk Mallow)

Full Incense
Cardinal
Incense
Craft
La Liturgie des Heures

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Avignon Fragrance Reviews

MickZ
MickZ

Oh no. I know there's a lot of love for this one, but I don't get it. This = head shop + church incense + public restroom deodorizer + synthetic mold. My vote in this category easily goes to Heeley Cardinal, which smells much fresher, lighter and more natural, and lacking the strident, synthetic, metallic notes. Caveat emptor: Try before you buy. 4/10 ... and I'm being generous.

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

Nosyme, I am a serious catholic ! Would love to wear a liturgic scent like that in liturgy-hours...but this is NOT good because it lasts exactly one hour. That's not enough. Rather wear my self-made olibanum/myrrh brews which last more hours. No need to give undeserved money to a nietzche. Just buy an EOil and you have 1 hour more fun and smells EXACTLY the same. Sorry, I'm saying it, but I can compare them.
Good initial scent ( little too sweet, more myrrhe wanted) then quickly , all of a sudden all gone at once , not leaving even a tinest base. Not my definition of a good expensive fume. My mother would call them thieves.

Singabera
Singabera

Bright summer morning in a deep pine forest - sun warmed the powerful old trees bodies, and it's aroma fills the air around. Calming scent, close to nature and the childhood memories...

Nosyme
Nosyme

It was such a creepy scent. I felt like I was wearing the funeral scent on me. Not simply the church scent (maybe my personal experience is to blame). It felt kind of blasphemous. Not recommended for superstitious or serious, devoted catholic.

mystica

I'm very surprised on reviews stating that Avignon doesn't last or project. I got my bottle in 2013 and the juice lasts like crazy; I don't even recommend any more than 2 spritzes since it's very strong.

Yes, it does exactly smell like a church, the cold stone walls and marble floors especially, and it's a true to the core oriental woody scent.

I don't know if a reformulation has taken place, it's likely. Even my bottle can be different than what Avignon was years ago, when it's first launched. I can't confirm this for my own bottle but the recent reviews complaining about poor longevity and defining Avignon as a "light scent" sounded very strange to me.

And a kind warning: Avignon smells superb, a work of art, but something in it -a note, a fixative, I don't know- clogs my nose a bit and makes breathing a bit uncomfortable. I wear many perfumes without this effect, so I may well be allergic to something I can't exactly identify but that which is artificial.

I'm in no way discouraging you, just please test before you buy to be on the safe side. There is no way on earth I would give up on my bottle still!

I'm wearing just 1 spritz on the back of my neck now and the sillage seems just right, soft and amazing to me. Going easy on the stopper with Avignon -like 4-5 spritzes- proves overwhelming. This scent definitely grows and blooms on your skin. Different notes may come up depending on your chemistry. Camomile is big on me.

militanttihintti
militanttihintti

@shadycat: I also experienced this fragrance first time in a Morrissey concert! He threw his shirt in the crowd and after the concert some girls next to me were sniffing a piece of it (it was only a piece because people had thorn it so badly while trying to catch it). I asked if I could smell it and I fell in love with the scent immediately. For days and perhaps even weeks it was all I could think about. It took me few years to find out that the scent he was wearing was Incense Avignon (I have no idea why I didn't just google what Morrissey wears right after the concert). After that it became my "signature" scent for years. I've never been a huge Morrissey fan, but I'm glad he introduced me to this fragrance, which feels like a second skin to me nowadays. And actually, I think this was the scent that really threw me into the world of perfumes.

shadycat
shadycat

Many years ago, my friend Lam and I went to a Morrissey concert together. We were both huge Morrissey/Smiths fans for many years and extremely excited...
I had heard rumors that this is what Morrissey wore, and sure enough, when the concert started, it was like there were 17 bottles of this being pumped through the speakers along with Morrissey's gloomy yet magnetic voice. It made for such an intense concert experience - Morrissey singing about things like being the end of his family line, and how there is a place in hell for he and his friends, and asking how soon is now? All the sadness of my teenage years were encapsulated in those songs..This scent seemed to perfectly underscore the heaviness of Morrissey's song material, and the scent! The scent was so true to it's name..
There is an old Catholic Church called Immaculate Conception in Old Town, San Diego (my hometown) that I love to visit periodically when I am feeling particularly lost, and Avignon smells like it - the old wooden pews, the resinous incense, the slight dustiness, the candles burning, the Bible pages...
Incense Avignon is a unique, beautiful and evocative scent that will always carry meaning for me because of the weighty associations I attach to it.
@militanttihintti - Wow, how interesting that we both shared the same scent experience!! It's also very cool to hear that this scent was the one that started it all for you. You know, I think Morrissey may have done the same thing at the concert I went to. What a cheeky bastard. ;)

teenlove
teenlove

this is one of the perfumes i somehow find incomplete on it's own. i feel it could do with a bit more meat on it's bones. while beefing up either the chamomille or vanilla could easily have pushed it into tea/cookie land something else could have been added.

wearing it i feel somewhat naked, unintrusive. it has a nice air of celibacy i'd prefer to smell in a space rather than on a person.

i used to layer it with costume national's scent intense as my signature. it added an edge of austerity to the sleek glossiness of the latter, creating a very appealing marriage on my skin.

gedlive
gedlive

Thanks to Katie Puckrik for her YouTube review of L'Artisan fragrance, "Seville at dawn", where she mentioned this fragrance, Avignon.

I'm a born again Christian, raised Catholic, and have been a frag enthusiast for 3 years. I'v been interested in the subject of Incense in the Bible. In the old testiment book of Exodus, God gives Moses a reciepe to make the Holy Incense used in the temple worship. I know two of the four ingredients were Galbanum and Labdanum, I could guess frankincense and Myrrh may have been the other two. The bitterness of Galbanum was to remind the people of how their sins smelled to God...
One of the names of Jesus in the Bible is, " Rose of Sharon ", named after the Rock rose bush/ tree from which Labdanum is made, a beutifull ingredient in the Incense used by Moses.

I love Duchaufour's work, my favorite perfumer. His frag Sartorial, he replicates masterfully, cloths and a textile shop in England. With this fragrance he is able to replicate that Catholic Incense smell, that particular sour, ashen smokiness. I get the soothing chamomile, and a metallic , stoney note that makes it reminiscent of cold, wet stoney walls of an old Gothic cathedral.
In the opening of Avignon, you get that Catholic Incense, in the mid-drydown, not so much. Other nice notes and accords appear, a chocolatey Amber, an earthy patchouli...
Don't be shy with the sprayer, this needs a generous application, so from the mid-drydown you can get the full aromatic richness of the Incense. Avignon is great for warmer weather, as the richness is more noticeable, as it's not a heavy scent.

Incense Avignon is a bit sweet, and has nice aromatic nuances, to make it more wearable and enjoyable, than just wearing Catholic Incense, which may be gloomy, although somber. It's more novel and interesting, than being a great Incense fragrance, but it is a very good one regardless...

Update:
I miss judged this at first, I thought it was a cold Incense, without aromatic richness. I'v tried looking for an improvement, trying "Full Incence", and " La Liturgie". I thought they were better than Avignon, Full Incence has better longevity.
I revisited Avignon today and was wowed by the balsamic richness, and the churchy Incence is the most authentic of those three. And it is a warm Incense, I would say now after trying the others.
Update: Now that Spring and warmer weather has arrived, the aromatic nuances are really popping, whereas in the cold of Winter, was a bit flat.

God bless you. John 3:16.

tandaina
tandaina

Oh my goodness!

I put this on, took a deep breath and sat there stunned for a moment. Because Avignon manages to exactly reproduce the scent of the little abbey church at the Episcopal Benedictine Abbey in Three Rivers Michigan. There's the cedar that makes up the building itself, old and weathered. There's the incense that is used every day at the Eucharist and that lingers through all the other daily offices. There's even the slightly chilly scent of the stone floor and of the snow and dark outside. It transports me perfectly.

For me it's an incredibly warm and comforting scent, but that's because of my associations with that place. It's just spicy enough for winter and feels intimate and close enough to my skin to wear JUST for me. Perfection.

aeriol.chapito
aeriol.chapito

Avignon does smell like a church. But it's far from being unwearable, it's actually very faint and very inoffensive and very proper. Since I haven't been to a church in a long time, the first thing that came to my mind was dusty paper+woodsy soap. After the opening, the incense becomes more apparent, and Avignon delivers what we asked for: a very nice and clean, slightly bitter "no BS" incense.

The problem with Avignon is not the scent itself, it's the performance; I'm not one that dislikes a fragrance for the lack of sillage and longevity, but in this case, it's just ridiculous: 5 mins after application and I can barely smell it anymore. For comparison I used Liturgie des Heures by Jovoy on my other arm, and the sweet resinous woods are still strong and kicking, while Avignon is just a little shadow. I'm off spraying this CdG progeny on clothes, and see if it gets better; for its sake, I hope it likes fabric, otherwise it will be up for adoption...

lovetribe
lovetribe

the best smell ever smelled .10 / 10 but for performance 0/10without sillage.5 / 10

Mona-Jo
Mona-Jo

First off, it doesn't last. At all. I found i had to douse myself in this. Even then, there wasn't much scent left. The scent itself is a nice incense. I'd prefer it with a little dash of sweetness though.

KIZILBAY
KIZILBAY

Kiliselerde turist olarak gezdim. Evet ibadete açık olan bazı Avrupa kiliselerinde tütsü kokusu aldım. Ama o tütsü kokusu soğuk ve urperticiydi. Bu ise başlangıç dışında daha çok ağaç ve hafif sekerimsi. Kısacası parfüm hikayesini ilk 5 dakikada doğruluyor, "evet ben bir kilise gibi kokuyorum" diyor ama sonra "tabiki bunu abartmamak lazım, siz papaz değilsiniz ki" diyor. Bu aşamadan sonra yaklaşık yarım saat güzel güzel farklı notalar sergiliyor. Ben tabiki labdanum ü almaya çalıştım. Baskın bir labdanum yok ama sanki patchouli ile sarmaş dolaş olmuş bir labdanum var. Çok keyifli bir saat sonunda etrafı güzelce paketlenmiş bir ağaç kokusu olarak ilerliyor. Kesinlikle keyifli , ilk yarım saati etrafınız kalabalık ise büyük ilgi çekebilir ama sonrasında kimseyi rahatsız etmeyecek , ağırbaşlı bir parfüm olarak devam ediyor. Kalıcılığı ve koku dağılımı ortalama. Zaten güçlü olsaydı bu parfümü kullanmak zor olurdu. Bu da az önce hakkında yazdığım Hinoki gibi üzerinde iyi çalışılmış bir parfüm. Keyifli, kaliteli ve farklı bir parfüm.

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

Comme des Garcons Avignon is a fragrance I find myself reaching for a lot.

Avignon is a relatively avant-garde fragrance, yet somehow is incredibly wearable.
Performance wise, it lasts an entire day (I am quite generous with my sprayer) and has great sillage. I often get compliments when I wear this fragrance.

Avignon is a fragrance which provokes deep thought and emotion. CDG really is genius in creating a line of fragrances, dedicated to the ancient ritual of incense burning, that genuinely reflects the spiritual force of incense.

Avignon is based off the smells one would find at a Catholic mass, specifically, in a church in Avignon, France. I myself was raised in a catholic family, and attended a Catholic highschool for the majority of my schooling career (until I finally made my mother give in to sending me to a non-religious school for my final two years). Although I do not associate with any one particular religion, and definitely do not fit the Catholic requirements of your typical male, I am deeply intrigued by Catholic imagery, practices, and the very nature behind religion. Avignon caters to this fascination of mine. It smells like the frankincense the father would burn when I would go to church with my conservative yet somehow bohemian grandmother as a child.

Aside from my own personal and emotional connection with Avignon, the beauty behind this Incense Series is that even if you aren't familiar with the particular religion each of the fragrances is derived from, it does not lessen the pleasure one can take in wearing them. The fragrances demand a certain sense of contemplative reflection and respect, the two aspects most beneficial to humans that religions help to promote.

My partner wears Zagorsk, which again is taken from a particular religion, Orthodox Christianity, and much like Avignon seems deeply spiritual and emotionally charged.

I look forward to exploring the entire line, many of my friends where the various fragrances from this series and they all smell fantastic.

You can also buy candles & incense sticks scented with the fragrances which are fantastic.

Avignon is a creative masterpiece that will stir emotion within you, which is what any great piece of art should do. Avignon is most certainly a piece of art.

gelo999
gelo999

Avignon is one of the four fragrances of incense series dedicated to CDG.
It represents the Catholic religion and the smell felt in cathedrals.

This blend of incense, spiritual, smoky make the fragrance is ethereal and makes it look like you feel flying, elemi gives that I lemony touch so nice and pleasant, myrrh, other balms, cedar and musks do the rest to produce a cloud effect.

The fragrance is very successful, Duchaufour got it, Avignon is really a good fragrance.

However, being critical, I encounter a big problem:
As you defend smelling go inside cathedral, censer, processional step ??

I do not know!! I use it coerces me because it makes me think about these issues, and that the smell of incense like but otherwise where incense not feel so religious and austere:

Within this company I prefer man CDG2 where besides leather incense there, 7 Odin or Encens Chembur.

Rating: 5

avagard
avagard

Simply a masterpiece, wonderful tenacity as well. The best and most realistic catholic church incense ever created!

Fishcadillac
Fishcadillac

This smells like the wooden pews in church. Take an old Roman Catholic Church and walk in. Walk in when there isn't mass going on. This doesn't smell like Palm Sunday or Christmas mass. I don't get the smoke of incense. I get the Church smell right when they open the doors in the morning. It's cold dark, European marble cathedral smelling. It is beautiful. I don't think it carries away from your skin. It sits atop of your dermis.

Immune
Immune

The most beautiful frankincense in the perfume world. I really can't stress enough how realistic and powerful this scent is. It is elevating and elating. However, it is very little more than frankincense. So if you need an olibanum powerhouse, go for this. However, if you're looking for something more nuanced and sophisticated, I would keep looking.
p.s. The staying power and silage of this fragrance is on par with nothing I've ever experienced. It sticks around *forever* and throws itself like nobody's business.

Rerik
Rerik

Avignon doesn´t need any long descriptions, it´s the best incense fragrance.
Church incense from Europe.
Slightly sweet and smoky.

Martin__
Martin__

This is nowhere similar to the smell of the catholic church incense. Not for me.

Actually, it reminds me of the inside of the very old, wooden (probably forgotten) church. No one attends to the mass here anymore, however you can smell that incense was used here a lot.

Avignon is very resinous, it smells almost like a mix of raw olibanum and myrrh. Exactly - raw, not burnt.

The longevity is around 9 hours, sillage is decent.

And one more thing. Avignon definitely has siblings. They're triplets: Montale Full Incense, Jovoy Paris La Liturgie des Heures and Avignon.
James' Heeley's Cardinal IMO doesn't belong to this family. It might be their distant relative, but nobody knows it for sure.

dsty
dsty

I have mixed feelings about Avignon - it's a great fragrance, but it really does smell exactly like a catholic church, and I think I would have liked it a lot more if I'd never actually set foot in one, or only as a tourist in the more glamourous ones. Then it might have seemed exotic and evocative of mysticism to me, on top of just being a great incense perfume. I could agree with all the romantic descriptions I'm reading here, as I did with Zagorsk, which I own and love: in that case the spirituality it conjures up has nothing to do with my own experience, and so it was easy to go along in the fantasy.

As it is, Avignon makes me feel appreciation and distaste in equal measure, with just a grudging little bit of bittersweet nostalgia thrown in to add to the confusion.
You see, catholicism is the dominant religion where I come from, but my own family stopped believing in it about a generation ago, as did the majority of the population - or at the very least they stopped practising. I must belong to the last generation who was baptised and confirmed into it just for tradition's sake myself. So I did spend some time in churches during my childhood, mostly at school but for family events as well, which makes this churchy myrrh and incense scent a familiar one to me.
Any smell that evokes a part of childhood, however unsignificant, must generate at least a little nostalgia. And it does, but although the memory in question is part of a happy childhood and precious because of that, it isn't especially dear to me: being cold and bored to tears at the very ordinary village church, while the elderly priest, who doesn't have a sliver of charisma, mumbles away unconvincingly for what feels like hours about some convervative nonsense that seems to have lost all relevance decades ago - not exactly the time of my life!

I know this isn't really about the fragrance at all, and I didn't mean to write a review of my experience of the catholic church instead, but I just can't think of this perfume in any other light than this very personal one - as I said, it's got the scent of an actual church just right. Although, thankfully, the interpretation isn't literal enough to retain the incredibly heavy, queasy sweetness of the real thing: it's a refined version of what you smell in church, surprisingly wearable really, although I have a hard time imagining on which occasion I actually would wear it. It's also obviously high quality, very well made, so I really can't say I dislike it, however mixed my feelings about it are.
I'll never wear it regularly, that much is obvious, but I actually might like a little decant just to bring up these conflicted feelings again every once in a while.

MysteryBuff
MysteryBuff

Behold the olfactory equivalent of a Gregorian chant! Inspired by a 14th Century Gothic cathedral in Avignon, France. Wafting like catholic church incense, clouds of frankincense and myrrh, drifting smoky and resinous. Incense Avignon unfolds into a high mass or peaceful meditation, depending on mood. Captured in all its stark beauty by master perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour. Like his best scents, it transports the wearer to another time and place. Perhaps the holy grail of incense fragrances.

walking44
walking44

Not as offensive as I thought it would be. But not great. A forgetable, mild, incense that smells like an antique chest.

[email protected]@r
C@nn@r

Smells like the inside of a church/temple!

NickZee
NickZee

Not very wearable. Dry, bitter incense, not much more. A reminder that one should not buy fragrances that are available as a candle.

NormalUser
NormalUser

Years ago, when I was a little kid, I ate lollypops with cola taste. When I was finished with the lolly there was a chewing gum inside. CdG Avignon just smells like this lollypop. For me this smells like candy!

c8ven
c8ven

Life is a mystery
everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like...
Home

Yes, it's a photorealistic impression of a Catholic church interior and it's really attractive in a hardcore sense.

ZakCannon
ZakCannon

The incense is nice but the sillage and longevity is so weak, definitely not worth the money.

Rio Cappuccino
Rio Cappuccino

The holy grail of incense..

MichalElian
MichalElian

I have a question. I have sampled and loved all the CdG incense fragrances, but it seems to me that Avignon is the only one with staying power. Am I wrong about this? Is it my nose? Did I put them on too soon after showering? I adore Zagorsk and Ouarzazate, but I like a strong scent, and both of those did a quick fade.

cityscape
cityscape

Those hit the nail on the head when describing this as a cold dusty dark church. I ordered a sample and was really intrigued by the descriptions and reviews. Unfortunately, it just isn't for me. I will try again as a personal scent on a dreary day. but I'm not expecting to do a 180.

There is no sweetness to this incense which is something that I now realize is important to me from the category. It is very cold as opposed to some of the warmth that you get from Sahara Noir (Tom Ford), Interlude Man (Amouage), etc.

2 that are similar (i.e incense but not too sweet) and worth trying if your interested in this particular incense arena: Journey Man (Amouage) and LDDM (Andy Tauer)

jlfears
jlfears

It's a blast of frankincense and myrrh, at first, and it's a hell of a blast.

It settles down quickly, to become something pretty neat: an incredibly *strong* skin scent, if that makes any sense at all.

It keeps on going as High Mass incense for a long time, and that's about it, though I get whiffs of light vanilla and sometimes chamomile in the base.

Odd thing, re: "really fancy pencil shavings" review... If I blow out hot air from my hose and inhale in right away (this is always different to me than just smelling my wrist, always), I get really fancy cedar. ~:)

I love it. I'm just not sure I want to smell like it.

struthion
struthion

I don't think I get the aesthetic of this perfume. It is a very literal interpretation of cedar + incense. It doesn't smell like a perfume. If I smelled it blindfolded, I would think someone had opened a cedar incense box. It's the most linear scent I have ever tried. Eight hours after applying it to my wrist, it smells the same. I am not a fan. Maybe its longevity and sameness would lend itself better to layering?

drummagick

I love this perfume as is, but sometimes wish it was a touch sweeter and lasted longer. I found that if you layer it with just a slight dab of Indigo Wild Eau de Zum Frankincense & Myrrh (an oil blend roll-on) it adds just a touch more sweetness without compromising the basic intention of what Avignon is supposed to be about and it also extends the life of the perfume to around 8 hours or more. It might seem sacrilege to layer Avignon with an inexpensive perfume but, to me, it really smells amazing!

bumpo
bumpo

Enough has been said here that I think you get the point by now- Catholic church, frankincense and myrrh, yada yada. I'd like to just contribute one thing I feel most of these reviews elide, which is the mustiness of Avignon: it's not just church, it's the dustiest, most shadowed corner of the church, an old tapestry hanging off a wall made of ancient granite. Weirdly, when I wear Avignon, I can't shake the feeling that all of the incense-y splendor is occurring inside of a particular musty basement I spent a lot of time in as a child. Which is charming, in a way, although definitely not for everyone. So, yes, warm and spiritual, but also thoroughly cloistered. Maybe it's the patchouli and oakmoss that do this.

Another thing no one else seems to mention- after an hour or two, it settles down very thoroughly and vanilla and chamomile pop up. That is to say, the drydown is safe and cuddly.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

When I first smelt this, I instantly felt like I'd been transported to a mass in the Catholic church. And that's exactly what Comme des Garcons wanted it to be.

For me, this is more of a concept fragrance. It's a piece of wearable art. I'm not really sure exactly what I'm smelling, because a lot of those notes are unfamiliar to me, but there is definitely a lot of smoke, woods and balsams. The fragrance is linear as it just becomes a little softer in the dry-down.

I do know that this smells beautiful and I like it. However, it isn't really my style, which means that I would never wear it regularly. I find that I do have to be in a particular mood to wear a fragrance that contains a lot of incense. Having said that, I do think it's the best incense perfume I've smelt so far (even though the bottle does look like a deodorant can). I also think that it would be perfect for layering. A soft to moderate sillage; longevity is for about 4-5 hours.

mlleghoul

Spicy pencil shavings. But, like...really *fancy* pencils.

GBoo
GBoo

What a delight! Opens with a strong whiff of cedar but instantly settles into a slightly smoky frankincense-y memory of Church. Very dry, the ultimate anti-floral, blended well, meaning that no single note dominates, and it is completely lineal, not changing appreciably from application to the point when it disappears from the skin. This is a private scent, very close to the skin, with six-hour longevity.

Thanks to juji for my delicious sample, and epithets to juji for introducing me to yet another perfume to covet!

INGER KERÄNEN

It is in this forum anobody, where I can buy this scent? I living in Finland, and I will this scent so much. Thank You very much.

sun in my mouth
sun in my mouth

I don't know what a catholic church is supposed to smell like. Avignon to my nose is less of an incense than it is a refreshing fizzy drink, japanese cider to be precise. Obviously I am in the minority here but nothing about it feels too heavy or avant-garde. In the summer I layer this with CdG sherbet rhubarb and it makes me feel like I'm swimming in a sea of delicious soda!

pasha777
pasha777

I love CdG fragrances and own a dozen of them. However, only now I had a chance to try and actually buy a bottle of Avignon. It is nice to be able to like something new after having tried and used best of the best perfumes. It's like falling in love again.

The first time I tried Avignon on a blotter it really smelled like a church: a combination of smoked incense, candles with stone and old wood and dusty books. Unfortunately, on my skin the smell was different: sweet, woody, floral, reminding port wine, perhaps. I tried again and again, on the skin, on clothes, on other people. But still it smelled less of a church and more of sweet and woody notes.

So, I thought 'OK, not the church I smelled the first time' (or maybe even thought I smelled it, like an olfactory illusion when you smell what you think it is after having read multiple reviews first). Not a church but a nice smell anyways. However, another surprise - no longevity on me whatsoever. No sillage either.

It may make sense if you want a energetic push in the morning in the form of a nice scent. A push that will be your secret as it will disappear by the time you get anywhere. Alternatively, ten sprays give me a couple of hours at most.

Incredibly beautiful, quiet scent. It makes sense that they didn't make it loud. But it is a disappointment that it does't last on me. Filed under 'for myself only'.

INGER KERÄNEN

I WANT BUY THIS TOO. BUT I AM FROM FINLAND. I CAN BUY MORE, TIL EX.2 BOOTLES.BUT WHERE??

INGER KERÄNEN

Hi. I am from France, but not I living in Finland. I LOVE THIS PARFUM, AND I WILL BUY. Buy in Finland is not.I seeking this parfum so long time. Yes, is possible over amazon, but I dont understand make order over internet. Can You help me? My e-mail is: [email protected]
And yes, I am Catholic from Carcassonne, and this smell evocate old gothic Cathedral.

tonileefiore
tonileefiore

Okay, so I am trying to expand my fragrance wardrobe AND think outside of the box a bit. I am intrigued by incense fragrances and I love the smell of incense at funerals and during High Holy Mass at the Roman Catholic Church. Given this and the many positive reviews here on Fragrantica, I decided to give CDG "Avignon" a try...along with Etro "Messe de Minuit" & Heeley "Cardinal."

Despite my husband asking, "Do you REALLY want to walk around all day smelling like a Catholic Church?"...I LIKE this fragrance a lot...I really do! I am not so sure that smelling like a church is such a bad thing-smile.

Yes, this fragrance totally, 1000% reminds me of the frankincense and myrrh, slightly floral aromas of the incense used during High Holy Mass. There are smoky, musty, musky, dark, mossy, fern-like notes during the opening with the addition of vanilla notes along the way...mid-notes. The fragrant incense note combined with all the aforementioned notes throughout the dry-down makes this a fascinating & intriguing fragrance.

Something in the mid-notes and dry down make this scent a bit more harmonious with my chemistry than Messe de Minuit or Heeley Cardinal. I did sneeze after applying both Messe de Minuit and Avignon...but I think that goes with the territory...pretty strong opening notes!

I like the idea of a fragrance that dares to be so different and unique. I like this scent a lot...not sure if I could love it...not sure I am ready for a full bottle at such $$$$$$! I might just purchase a full bottle and give it more than a few tries! Definitely different...just not sure where & when I would wear it :0)

giannis.kandiliotis
giannis.kandiliotis

Very poor longevity and silage on me. Combined with the modernistic bottle is like using a deo - alas a very expensive one.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

It took a while for me to "get", but now I'm converted. This is a masterpiece. When i first smelled it I was kind of disappointed. It certainly smelled like a church, and thusly brought back some less-then pastoral memories of being a child bored out of my mind. It was weirdly cold and uninviting so I put it back in my sample bag and kind of forgot about it. Once the winter rolled around and the temperature dropped I decided on a whim to give it another chance and I wore it out to dinner in 40 degree weather. It totally blew my mind. All throughout the night I got pleasantly soft, sweet wisps of smoke and woods, comforting in the cold air. It performed perfectly, long lasting but not intrusive. While the church is the most obvious point of reference here, theres also an aspect of this fragrance that reminds me of winter in my childhood. Playing outside in the cold, smelling the faint hint of burning firewood coming out of neighbors' fireplaces. I really really love the CDG incense series, and this one is my second favorite behind Kyoto, I can't wait to get a full bottle.

harpermae
harpermae

I received a sample of this today, and have been wearing it for a few hours. I had tried it a few months ago and was not too impressed. Today, though, it blew my mind. The incense is definitely of the Catholic church variety, but it has a nice and soft drydown, warm and slightly vanillic. I find this to be similar to Kyoto, but dries down a bit softer. I think you could wear this anywhere, really. I think Katie Puckrik wore this to her own wedding! I do wish the bottle was more elegant, though. I'm not sure the clunky stainless steel bottle will look nice on my dresser.

ankali
ankali

As a former Catholic, I can vouch for the authenticity of this scent. It is exactly Midnight Mass, and I love love love it.

FeelingRisky
FeelingRisky

Overall: 9/10
Here's Why:
Purchased this from a shop in Newport Beach, CA down the street from me. The price was great but the customer service was deplorable so we won't go there with the name of the shop.
They did not have a tester, so it was a blind buy.
This is a stunning and polarizing fragrance.
Lasted 8+ hours on me, (which most EDT do not do).
The incense were sharp and lively, not smoky.
The drydown was slow and steady, just like the burning incense that inspired it. The fragrance is wonderful to layer, love it with:
Tom Ford Oud Wood, Noir De Noir or Patchouli Absolue.
Many compliments, and believe it or not, people in the work place loved it as much as i do. I could see people thinking as they were smelling, i was told it evoked memories and sensory images. Very unique. Very happy with the purchase.

sweet piglet of smoke
sweet piglet of smoke

I have to agree with @Riobard on this one. I thought I liked incense, but Avignon punched me in the face, took me behind the altar and did unspeakable things to my nose. Good job that it’s the most avant garde scent in the modern era and all that, but Avignon scared the hell out of me. That’s a big “thanks, but no thanks,” from me. I hope my sense of smell never, ever develops enough to appreciate this one.

msanishvili
msanishvili

I'm going to echo some of the other reviews and say this is the real deal; my husband was an altar boy at a catholic church for years and exclaimed "this smells JUST like John Vianney's!" and then explained that it smelled like church pews that have been steeped with incense for years. I will also agree that, on it's own, it isn't a particularly wearable fragrance. It's like trying to smell like an old library or a hospital or any other location with an olfactory signature; it seems odd on a person.

For layering, though, it is amazing. I loved it with DK Cashmere Mist. It took a very sophisticated but soft lady scent and added smokiness, wood, mystery, and a touch of masculinity.

attila1945
attila1945

I received this as a gift and this is the first CDG perfume I own, I am really impressed by this fragrance! I agree with those saying that you only need to apply a small amount from it though, don't overdose it, cause it do make your head turn if used too generously!

Riobard
Riobard

I like incense but this almost knocked me the hell out..

LaVieEnParfum
LaVieEnParfum

as far as my incense fragrances concern - this is the most authentic....... and i love to use it once in a while, as catholic that never visits the church........lol

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

I had the same reaction as Yourhumblenarrator's review, this was too heavy on the incense for me. The other notes just make the incense colder, darker and more profound. But I'm glad I tried Kyoto and Ouarzazate first, because they are magnificent. If I tried Avignon first, I might have skipped the rest of the series.

ras.kel.5
ras.kel.5

This smells exactly like a Catholic church. It opens up with strong, spicy incense and an hour later chamomile and vanilla soften it up. It's cold and airy rather than warm and cozy. It's more masculine than feminine, but still unisex. I like it, but I think I'm more interested in the candle or incense version.

mlleghoul

Spicy pencil shavings. But, like...really *fancy* pencils.

major_works

I love Avignon and have a bottle in my (very) small fragrance collection as a gift from my wonderful wife. I happen to be a Deacon in the Orthodox Church. So yeah, I have somewhere to wear it! Cool, huh? It fits right in. We use all kinds of incense in Church but sometimes we'll use straight Frankincense (not often, though).

The fragrance of Avignon is wonderful and very soothing to me. I only wish it lasted longer on me. I rarely get more than 2-3 hours out of it before it becomes a very close skin scent at best.

You might think, well, why doesn't the Orthodox Deacon try Zagorsk? I have sampled it. It's OK but other than the piney "Russian forest" vibe, I don't get much from it that screams Orthodox in any meaningful way. I like Avignon, and Kyoto, much mo betta.

magnolia_xx
magnolia_xx

This fragrance is a masterpiece in some respects.
It does not just evoke Catholicism, Mass and cathedrals.
It actually smells like a Catholic church after Mass and I think it is the "coldest" incense fragrance I have ever tried.
You just need to spray it and close your eyes, and all is there: incense, marble pillars, the cold floor and even the echo of your steps while you walk along the nave.
But in spite of being so incredibly realistic, it is not something I would like or dare to wear. Not even at home, for myself.
It is too somber, too cold, too much. It can be okay for some contemplative moments, but it does not make me feel comfortable; I much prefer warmer fragrances, and even the vampire-ish "Messe de Minuit" seems more cheerful than this.

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

I'm gonna go against the hype train here and say that Avignon is one of my least favorites from the incense series. Before you crucify me let me just say that as a 'scent', it's very focused and creative. Unfortunately it's just not very wearable in my opinion. I can't think of a single occasion that would be suitable for me to wear something that smells like a solemn, Catholic church. So it sits on my dresser and I spray it every now and then before bed. For me, this would work much better as a room candle, fitting nicely in a clean, slightly chilly apartment, alongside a Sisters of Mercy record.

I get cold, churchy incense with a soft vanilla that almost becomes too sweet in the dry down, as I'm reminded of vanilla frosting. Fortunately it's just a skin scent for the second half, because Avignon would definitely become cloying on my skin if it were any more powerful. It has nothing on Kyoto and Jaisalmer.

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

A couple of years ago I acquired a small piece of frankincense (part of a tourism marketing promotion for Oman) The smell of the frankincense was dry, balsamic with a slight touch of bitterness. Incense: Avignon bears a strong resemblance to the smell of that piece of frankincense. In fact, I get frankincense and very little else in this fragrance. Maybe a touch of chamomile in the drydown, but that's about all. I'm personally not a huge fan of Incense: Avignon, but can certainly see the attraction it has - especially for those who were raised Catholic.

allbookerka
allbookerka

Iconic fragrance. Truly divine scent!
It's incense as realistic as it can get, yet it is one of the most unique fragrances that I've ever tried. I really enjoy how the scent develops and becomes sweeter and calmer. Then it gets so comforting, that it almost whispers you that everything is going to be all right (I always get this feeling of calmness when visiting old cathedrals). On the other side this scent still has a mystery in it, as if you are faced with the unknown and sacred.
So, to summarise: spiritual experience, silent walk under the pine trees, mysterious stories, Notre Dame de Paris in all its Gothic beauty - this is what comes to mind with Avignon..

Pluses: great longevity, moderate projection (not overwhelming in any way), very unique and exotic scent, while still quite wearable (thanks to sweet notes that appear when this scent develops)
Minuses: I'm afraid not everybody will appreciate this fragrance, though I don't care. I love it! :)

A masterpiece!

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

DIVINE, but then it is inspired by Christianity and all its exotic smells!! I have been looking for such a perfume for a very long time, found something of it in Miller et Bertaux Spiritus land but wanted something that clearly evokes all those Easters in the Greek countryside, with nature in full bloom and the heady divine smells of the Orthodox church, the mystic and antiquity of Christianity so manifested in the ancient use of Incense, Myrhh and olibanum.
And this is what it is, a strong, unapologetic, eastern incense, heady, mysterious and deep. If smelling like a cardinal after High Mass is not your thing then steer clear, but if you want something strong, unique and exotic, then thats your cup of tea.
A masterpiece and a signature perfume for me!!!!!!!

Gwizz
Gwizz

Avignon is a simply wonderful fragrance. Incense is one of my favorite themes in perfumery and this is seriously one of the best. It ticks all the boxes. Vast longevity? Check. Dramatic silage? Check. Astounding complexity? Check. Versatility? Check. Hi incense fidelity? Check. Warm and contemplative? Check. I could go on and on! My first buy from the CdG Incense series was Kyoto, which is an utterly divine fragrance in itself, remarkably different to this indeed. I actually held off on Avignon despite the frequent ravings about it in almost every incense review, thinking it couldn't top Kyoto, but it turns out, it doesn't need to. They are two totally different beasts and both worthy in their own right. As for Avignon, this is a very liturgical, yet not entirely smokey incense. It is a frankincense and myrrh bomb, which is where the "catholic" derivation comes from, but it is also supported by a beautiful, austere cedar and a very well executed chamomile which, with some patchouli also there, helps it to also have an existence which is outside the "church", with the resinous inflections of nature accompanying you on the journey. I have a few incense fragrances like Incense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studios and Olibanum, by Profumo Roma, which traverse similar territory and are outright gorgeous also, but one can't help but think that with Avignon, Comme des Garcons really did set the standard to which many have aspired since. But I'm not sure too many have reached this lofty standard. Bertrand Duchaufour, you are a genius.

julieekerr
julieekerr

sent as a sample and what an interesting smell. yes I get the whole incense thing. it also smells like my wood burner when I have a scented candle burning too. like the woody amber and spices however don't really want to smell of smoke. I think its one of those fragrances that you keep returning to; to remember how it smells

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

OK, so this is kind of a rant.
I didn't expect to like this . . .
The only other Duchaufour fumes I've tried are Dzongha which I didn't like and Timbuktu which I really didn't like (really, really). I didn't even want to like it. They seemed emblematic of the aromachemical soups that take interesting but flimsy accords and blow them up with iso e super "radiance" so they have this crazy all over the place projection. In theory I don't have a problem with that. The trouble is that my olfactory apparatus just can't handle it and there's something about having a smell you don't like radiating everywhere that is particularly offensive. Plus headaches and sinus pain. It's like an olfactory bludgeon.

But I didn't expect to be bored.
For all the love this perfume gets, it's really a very ordinary incense perfume - a little soapy and a little cedar-y. I wouldn't have thought this would be a bad thing, I love me some incense, but apparently I want it with a little more finesse. At least Timbuktu and Dzongha smelled interesting if not particularly pleasant. (Hence no rant.) This stuff smells like a Montale would if it were blown up out of all proportion with aromachemicals, one note, linear, dull and relentless. Oh, wait, that is what Montale's smell like. At least they come by their relentlessness honestly.

This must be the headache talking - I better go scrub and then spend a few days with Calling all Angels so my sinuses can heal.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i am not a religious person at all but i have always loved catholic cathedrals and iconography, so i really wanted to try this. i am not disappointed, and it is one of the few scents that smells exactly the same on my skin as in the vial.

this is deep but light. it's not "heavy" in the traditional sense. all incense and frankincense. very evocative, not sure what that shard of light shining through the darkness is? maybe cedar and chamomile? it's kind of fizzy and effervescent, and i like it. i think of a dark cathedral with beams of light coming through the stained glass windows. i like it a lot but i think i expected it to be much more heavy and dark than it is.

daithi
daithi

The most realist and beautiful interpretation of church incense. 100% dark.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Ooo-eee! Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned-in fact, I'm doing it right now. I'm in the throes of two of the Seven Deadlies, Lust and Greed.

I want more of Avignon, and I want it right now, and when I have it, I'm going to hoard it like a miser. This perfume is so damn beautiful, and it smells exactly like the Basilica where I go to light candles for my father and grandmother. A stunning, heart-wrenching depiction of the inside of a grand Catholic church.

I'm not Catholic, but Avignon sweeps all my good and pure intentions to the surface, and I feel like a little girl looking in wonder at her first stained glass windows, wondering who God must be if people needed to build such a big place to contain their feelings about [him],...and also, what was that smell...?

lollero
lollero

I think this scent is a masterpiece. I like it very much, but if you're looking for a crowd pleaser or a pleasant smell this isn't it. It's very strong and it's just like a catholic church. This is the kind of fragrance which you can enjoy at home and by yourself. If you're looking for more safer scent I'd go for kyoto.

starmerj
starmerj

I can only really echo what near enough everybody else has said about this, but this really does smell like a catholic church!
This is a very smoky and gothic fragrance. There's lots of frankincense and myrrh.
Overtime, some vanilla and chamomile come out and sweeten this up a little bit.

It lasts quite a long time (about eight hours) on my skin. I'm surprised that the majority have rated this as having moderate sillage, because it's actually rather strong throughout most of it's life on skin.

I like this a lot. However, I'm not sure if I would feel entirely comfortable walking around smelling like a catholic church.
I'm a huge fan of incense fragrances, but this is just a little to "church-like" for me to find wearable.
Maybe I'll just buy the incense sticks or the candles of this instead?
I think I need to spend some time with it to really find out whether it's bottle worthy.

Anyway, this is definitely worth checking out - especially if you like incense!
It's arguably the most "incensey" incense fragrance on the market (lol!)
It's also one of the most popular from the CDG line and for a good reason.
___________________________________________________________

Note - If you're looking for a fragrance along the same lines as Incense Avignon, check out La Fumée by Miller Harris (which I have also reviewed).
It's not a clone of Avignon by any means, but I do think they share some similarities.

ImAddicted
ImAddicted

This scent is a masterpiece. It's Christianity, Papacy in Avignon - France, Church Incense, Santiago de Compostela altogether in a bottle. The only problem is that I cannot imagine many occasions where I could wear this scent. I guess the candle sold by CDG is a better choice, since you can burn it at home, enjoy the perfect smell without smelling like a Catholic Church out there.

Aeris
Aeris

This is a scent that you wear for yourself at home and not at a social function or to impress anyone. Yes, it's a very spiritual/religious perfume due to the incense, frankincense, and myrrh. Yes, it's something good to wear whilst meditating/praying. But it does not smell "good" in the tradition perfume sense. But it is a mindful scent. It's the equivalent of lighting up insense to meditate....just in liquid form. Avignon is meant to set a mood & create a spiritual aura, not to make you smell yummy. I like the concept behind this. The sister scent Zagorsk (Orthodox Christianity) also pulls this off well. I can definitely smell the wet stone wall of a church in that one. Wow seriously, it really does smell like wet stone. How?!? I will have to start branching out to more "mood" scents and stop worrying about smelling good in the traditional sense. I'm really liking this.

Kain
Kain

I haven't been in a church before so I don't know how they smell like but if church truly smell like this, I believe I've found my new goal in life. becoming a father! :D
This is a great classic with adding a little bit more dark flavor comparing to the usual classic fragrances.
The opening is a semi fresh, clean and kind of soft soapy aldehydic scent with great support of smoky incense, some resins and a little bit of sweetness in the background. very good balance between light and dark side.
While the opening is really good, the mid is even better and actually I love the mid.
In the mid the semi fresh and aldehydic scent settled down and incense and resinous myrrh notes became stronger. I can feel a soft powdery feeling in the background as well that gives the scent a very elegant and classy feel.
The mid is smoky, resinous and oily, slightly powdery with kick of mellow aldehydic smell in a smooth way that all together creating a beautiful and so elegant classic scent.
The base is a simple semi sweet smell with some smokiness in the background.
Projection is above average and longevity is around 4-5 hours on my skin.

یه عطر خیلی خوب و دوست داشتنی که تم عطرهای کلاسیک و قدیمی رو داره منتها کمی سنگین تر و تاریک تر
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی آدئیدی و نسبتا شاداب و کمی صابونی ترکیب با رایحه دودی بخور، کمی رایحه صمغ ها و مقدار بسیار کمی رایحه های شیرین شروع میشه
رایحه عطر بصورت خیلی هنرمندانه ای بین حس نیمه شاداب و صابونی و رایحه های تلخ و دودی و سنگین بالانس شده و اذیت کننده نیست
رایحه ابتدایی خوبه اما رایحه میانی خیلی بهتره و واقعا عالیه
تو رایحه میانی اون حس نیمه شاداب و صابونی و آلدئیدی ضعیفتر میشه و بوی بخور و بوی صمغ ها قویتر و در کنار اینا من یه حس ملایم پودری هم حس میکنم که جذابیت و حس بسیار شکیل و باکلاسی به عطر میده
رایحه میانی در کل دودی و تلخ، صمغی و کمی دارای حس روغنی به خاطر رایحه صمغ مر، کمی پودری و کمی شاداب و خیلی حزئی صابونی هست
تو رایحه پایه بوی عطر خیلی ساده تر میشه که یه بوی نیمه شیرین با کمی رایحه تلخ بخور هست
پخش بوی متوسط به بالا و ماندگاری در حد 4-5 ساعت روی پوست داره
کار خیلی خوبیه. خصوصا اگر عطرهای کلاسیک از نوع شیک و سنگین و جنتلمنی دوست دارین

joy1
joy1

I love this! I love the smell of incense. When I first spray it on, it smells like church. After a few hours I still smell the incense, but also something else.... Sweet Tarts candy!

singlemalt
singlemalt

@Sylviie-aus,, Avignon is a reference to the Catholic Papacy which had its residence in in this city in the 1300's. The perfume is high mass from the beginning to the end. Learn the history of the area.

Dr Benway
Dr Benway

Exquisite. Like a burning Catholic Church.

major_works

This past Saturday I graduated from a Diaconal Formation program at an Orthodox Christian seminary. Knowing that I'd sampled it in the past, and that we both like it, my wonderful wife surprised me with a full bottle of Avignon as a graduation gift. I fell in love with it when I first smelled it at the CdG store in NYC and have hoped I could land a bottle someday.

Mind you, we're Orthodox and not Roman Catholic, but you'll come across similar fragrances being used in Orthodox Churches as well. Before anyone asks, yes, I've also tried Zagorsk, which is supposed to be CdG's take on Russian Orthodox incense. It's nice but they got the Russian forest better than they did the Church incense to my nose.

I can't wait to see what she gets me for an ordination gift.

joe70062
joe70062

Enough with the church stuff. You can't really smell like a church. It's a building. Bertrand wants you to have the experience. It's Avignon France that he wants you to see. Yes there are churches, but it's more than that. He has added other elements, pieces of Avignon- special spices and resins unlike anywhere else. So while other reviews are quite acurate and fair in the incense department, see past that...and enjoy the journey.

FaunAromatic
FaunAromatic

A scent with gravitas and more than a little vanitas, as befits a religiously-nuanced concept perfume. I love this scent and wear it whenever I want, dogma be damned.

gd15329
gd15329

Oh boy... a church in a botle and even more! I loved it.
Very difficult to wear it in every day life though unless you don't care... about others around you :)

I loved it!

charles_carmichael
charles_carmichael

The closest thing to high mass. I was a catholic altar server for five years, and this is a vivid approximation of what was in the censer for holiday masses. If you love frankincense, you can't be without this one. All of the frags in the series are excellent (I love Kyoto as well), but this one is the quintessential western incense.

lassmichdich
lassmichdich

this is so comfortable and stylish without being superficial at all. how is it that a church incence can smell so progressive and smart??
i really respect the comme des garcons- style. to me: smart art.
btw, i really don't think any religiousity is necessary here -athough it might be true to the smell of catholic christian mass... which i can't confirm... or denounce...

Marciu
Marciu

I don't know which fragrance was released as a first but they are twins to my nose. These two are: CdG Avignon and Montale Full Incense.

Actually it's hard for me to dissect this fragrance for now. I guess the mix of incense and labdanum might be important. However, both Avignon and Full Incense seem to be floral-sweet. I guess it might be chamomile but I might be wrong.

Will update soon.

Oh, and by the way - Avignon is not similar to Cardinal to me... It's luckilly not aldehydic as Heeley's fragrance is....

Magenta106
Magenta106

This is incredible! It manages to be a full round incense scent without being heavy or too heady. It isn't really amber, or opium, and it isn't woodsmoke. It does remind me of a Pacific Northwest forest, but with cool flowers and spices. Maybe it could be thought of as a walk in the PNW forest while drinking chai, and holding white flowers. That is about the only way to describe it outside of mass. It clings close to the body, surrounding you with a warm comfortable and clean fragrance with cool undertones. This is so comforting and really puts you in a relaxed and content mood.

This is a great fragrance for a woman who wears a black wool dress and a statement necklace. It' s classy, exotic, and strangely feminine.

This and Azemour by Parfum d'Empire are my two current go-to's. Actually, I often layer the two to punch up the incense quality of Azemour and to add an orange chypre to Avignon. I look very classically feminine, and tend to wear very classically feminine clothes, this scent seems to pair so well with that. You don't have to be a "hard edge" goth type or a more burley woman to pull this off. I also feel that this would be great for a man. Sounds odd, but just get a tester, you will be really surprised.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This is literally Westminster Abbey during high mass in a bottle. I find it very similar to Sahara Noir by Tom Ford, which I tried at Changi Airport recently except that Sahara Noir is more intense, warm and with a hint of animalic note. I like Incense Avignon and it's one of my favorites. Having said that, I still prefer Incense Extreme by Tauer Perfumes just a little better.

DOTMASTER
DOTMASTER

amazing and special, high class

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Comme des Garcons: Series 3 Incense Avignon
I was in London when the gothic scene started, and ready for something new. I was into what I called a “pretty” punk vampire look, and the Victorian aesthetic was the perfect evolution of that. I also loved the mysticism of the religious symbolism, having been raised Roman Catholic. With a Grandmother who was a Marian follower and often traveled to sites of Marian apparitions, I was often the recipient of the numerous rosaries and artifacts from her travels, so I had the real thing to add to my gothic ensembles. I sincerely wish I had had this fragrance back in those days. This is the most gothic fragrance I have ever worn, and by far the most realistic, deepest, most intriguing Catholic incense I have ever smelled. This smells exactly like the Church of the Nativity where the Star of Bethlehem is housed, which contains numerous thirubles with bellowing incense. Stunning.

My favorite movie, Baraka, by Ron Fricke, has a scene shot at Saint Peters Basilica showing a high mass. If I could bottle that scene, it would be this fragrance. This is full-bottle love for me. This is a religious experience. Thank you, Comme des Garcons.

mystica

I was waiting for and dreaming of having Avignon since a long time.
Now that day came. I had ordered it blind after reading many awesome reviews about it.
It did not turn out exactly what I thought it to be, but I can say that *this* is one of the craziest fragrances I ever smelled, indeed the craziest one.
I understand the raving reviews because it captures an atmosphere just so successfully and creatively. That's what we call art in a bottle and I have to note Diptyque fragrances' success as well in this respect.
In this case the atmosphere is resemblent of a church and the feeling is religious, dusty, dirty and divine. Not exactly the high mass, not the angels and all goodness, but Avignon has a gothic feel to it, it also smells fresh like a green forest after the rain.
The smell is more on the masculine side and definitely not for everyone. I can see an artist wearing this.
*Definitely try before you buy!*
I can only promise that it will be a different olfactory experience close to nothing mainstream. You gonna smell like probably noone around.

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

I received a tiny 1ml sample from a generous seller for free and as soon as I opened it and took a sniff I immediately remembered the first time I smelled Sahara Noir by Tom Ford.. They are both gorgeous fragrances and very similar to each other.. There is a huge amount of gorgeous incense, frankincense and some myrrh in Avignon.. Which happen to be some of my all time favorite notes.. I also smell some woods, some spices, and sweet vanilla.. It is a beautiful fragrance which definitely resembles a church.. It smells more on the masculine side to me.. I wish I could have the full experience of spraying it on my skin.. Avignon is very similar to Sahara Noir, just less complex and more tame..

muzzbait
muzzbait

this incense is something else. other incense fragrances smell like raw, unburnt frankincense. this is BURNT frankincense. this is me being woken up on easter (sunday) by my mum waltzing into my bedroom and simultaneously waking me up and choking me...ahhh childhood memories. there are other good incense/frankincense scents, but nothing that captures the 'burnt/burning' note as well...

Redbeard
Redbeard

First up, let me preface this by saying I've never smelled catholic church incense in my life, so I'm not approaching this stuff as the scent of a known object. It starts out rather warm and resinously sweet, though I don't feel like the underlying wood note is that sweet on its own. Even though I don't visualize any particular thing, I feel like the scent is among the more realistic of the series. It's more ambery, however, and maybe even vanillic, which for me means that it has more potential to get tiringly sweet as it moves along. The spices have a hard time cutting through that kind of sweetness. Still, it's good, maybe just a bit richer and higher-pitched than I'd like. It's just a tad christmasy-smelling and doesn't captivate me like some of the others. Because it's a bit closer than the others to being a typical ambery masculine oriental, it seems more wearable. I'd wear it in place of Heritage (very similar!) or maybe PdN New York. Interesting how it kind of pulled me back from the realm of thematic fragrances into the mainstream, just as I'm done reviewing this series.

stockbreak
stockbreak

Bcray, I just ordered a sample of this, havent smelled it yet, but the leather daddies had me in tears laughing, thank you <3

bcray82
bcray82

After reading all the reviews I decided to step out of my comfort zone and give this a try. This was a blind purchase for me. Smells like smoke, leather, damp mustiness. Very linear. On me, I can't smell amber or cedar, or anything else other than herbal musty dust rag doused in Old English wood polish. Even though it isn't my favorite, I can see where someone could interpret this as a sexy, dirty scent. I'm sure the leather daddies at the local gay bar would like this. I think it would work better if it had more of a sweet or spice undertone to balance the herbal qualities.

Wow!!! Them Catholics certainly know a thing or two about incense.
This is great...yet again it's not smoky and dark enough for my liking! I like a balance between fresh and burning incense flavours and this is just short of the mark.
Still very nice and I can see the comparisons with Montale full incense but right away this has slightly more depth and to me is a little more refined.
At the end of the day I'm splitting hairs here and being super critical because I'm searching for the holy grail of incense perfumes...in truth this is amazing, resinous, spicy, smooth a must for incense fans.

asheble93
asheble93

Like so many reviewers have mentioned it smells EXACTLY like church incense, it is one of my favorite smells and Comme des Garcons really hit the nail on the head. Lasting power is 3-5 hours. The only difference between this and straight up church incense is that there is a little bit more floral/vanilla in the opening if you pay close attention. Definitely not for everyday wear, more of a "got to be in the mood for it" scent.
I like versatility from my fragrances, especially at 80 dollars per 1.7 oz; but if it was more wearable, it would compromise the overall simplicity and vision of the composition. I am glad that it is so refreshingly simple and identical to what it actually markets itself as.

Overall rating: 9.0/10

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

SWINGING OF THE BOTAFUMEIRO

My dream is to make the pilgrimage to the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, to see the relics of St. James and more importantly, to receive my 'Compostela', a certificate which pardons my sins by the Catholic church. Of course, I will time my journey to coincide with the service during which the cathedral's botafumeiro, a 170 pound incensory made of silver-plated brass, is swung like a pendulum through the sanctuary, leaving behind a smoky trail of incense.

Until such time, I can reach my spiritual nirvana with Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Avignon.

Repogirl
Repogirl

I wanted a fragrance that smelled just like church and this is it. They nailed it.

For me, this is something I will wear based on my mood. If I have the need to feel connected and spiritual, this is my go to scent.

njaalgahaisyeini
njaalgahaisyeini

It really is incense, and it feels like the composer(s) sacrificed wearability for authenticity on this one. It is definitely reminiscent of Christmas. Maybe coming from a non-Christian home I just can't fully appreciate this one but I'm just glad I tried a sample first.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Wow - super duper frankincense! I love it, but after the other churchy notes begin to dissipate I'm left with a pretty straightforward frankincense. Gorgeous - I love frankincense - but I'll have to try it again to see if there is more to it. The opening impression is that it is just fabulous, but it may lighten up too much too quickly for me. Apparently I have some kind of teflon skin or something because everyone else is raving about sillage and staying power of various frags that become no more than a whisper on me after a few minutes.

I had to edit this to add that I got the weirdest scent memory lying in bed sniffing Avignon in the crook of my elbow. When I was little I got scented pens for Christmas. I think they were supposed to smell like No 22 and Arpege, though they really smelled kind of softly floral/sweet and inky. For some reason Avignon goes on to develop some inky quality that reminds me vividly of these pens. Ballpoint/biro ink and olibanum.

Avignon is apparently the best selling fragrance from Comme des Garcons Incense Series 3, and it's not hard to see why.

I will probably never buy this fragrance because I already own Matthew Williamson Incense, a fragrance that shares many similarities with Avignon. Both of these perfumes are gorgeous, smoky and memorable.

It's a little difficult to describe this fragrance in a way that does it justice. You really need to smell it to understand it. Avignon smells mostly of dry, churchy incense, with a touch of cedar and white musk.

Avignon is simplistic yet beautiful, a fragrance that speaks for itself. It can be a tad masculine on some, but on the right person Avignon is a smooth, exotic and sensual fragrance.

I'd be the first to readily admit that I'm not a regular church goer, but there's something delightfully ceremonial about Avignon. It actually makes me want to go to church more often. I burn incense in my home as I enjoy its therapeutic benefits, and this incensey fragrance is almost as good as the real thing. Very soothing and peaceful.

Comme des Garcons is a house known for their bold scents, and Avignon is one of them. It is a fairly heavy scent, long lasting too. This is my absolute favourite incense from Series 3.

Desertedbeach
Desertedbeach

I love this smell - I was desperate to test it. But I was actually disappointed when I did. It's very linear. Very Christmassy. Way too strong for summer. The smell is gorgeous but I just can't wear it as a perfume.

Mick_Trick
Mick_Trick

The first spray yanked me back like a fish caught on a hook to my Catholic upbringing. The sharp liturgical incense note is certainly true to the brief. Don't think I've ever had such a strong scent/memory response.

Although a liturgical bombast at the head, Avignon at the same time is hollow and ethereal, the hand of Duchaufour can be felt keenly (in the spirit of Timbuktu). During the heart the chamomile/floral accord gives some softness and and stops things becoming too astringent. I also found the Iso E Super to be quite prominent after a few hours.

Where Norma Kamili Insence is dense saturated and slightly macabre, Avignon to me has a airy spiritual quality and gossamer lightness, it's very good.

williamvargas
williamvargas

is an amazing scent, it does remind me of a catholic church, I remember the many hours I spent in the old confession booth..never went well for me, a definite fantastic recreation of that ambience.,i do appreciate this but I just don't think I would enjoy smelling like this. however I will keep my sample to sniff for just the beauty of the perfume itself.
a little too strong a scent to wear to the office I think. I sprayed some sitting at my desk , the comments were not positive, a little overpowering...it is very high quality none the less.

Gabriellitjie
Gabriellitjie

YES - absolutely divine. I've not yet had the opportunity to smell the other CdG incense scents, but will definitely do so. Comments about "smells like old church"? Well, by definition, incense orientated scents will do that to a certain extent. But in combination with one's own chemistry it develops uniquely. (Some people say they don't wish to smell like church - but all those gourmand-scent lovers smell like kitchen, don't they? Question of taste, no doubt, whether you prefer incense to coffee or pretzel). :-)

shawny
shawny

I'm inside an old church!

virga
virga

On paper Avignon smells rather dull and linear: think of old godforsaken church or a crypt – fainting incense, cold stones and dust. But on a skin it turns into very complex incense fragrance: first few hours it’s mostly incense – dry, clear and sharp, almost aldehydic. When it becomes sweeter and darker, oriental like with myrrh and labdanum, which makes the composition more leathery and ambery. Now after 6 hours I can even detect vanilla and spices, but incense are still strong, dry and clear. Truly beautiful, complex, both contemplative and uplifting, dark and light fragrance. A masterpiece.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

While I can appreciate the creative process that lent itself to this, it was an entirely too accurate notion for me. If you grew up in the Catholic Church then you might have an affinity for this scent. For me, we'll I am not religious but I felt very...absolved when I tried it. It opens with a hit of almost carbonated smelling frankincense and it stays very purifying as one would expect. I didn't get ANY of the supposed balmy, smokiness or warm ambery notes at all. It was very one dimensional on me. I would use it to clear a space in my home, but not to fragrance my body. Not the kind of incense I prefer but worth a sniff none the less.

Na0
Na0

I love the "Papier d'Arménie" as well as Incense. I burn a stick or a paper as soon as I can.

And this one is... The perfect mix of those two. You could find it weird to smell like a religious perfume atmosphere, yes, but if you haven't any problem with that... That's wonderful.

With a lovely typical chypre base, it results an awesome ... Oriental Chypre, yes. Styrax, incense and then, a quiet floral/woody background which silently enhances the 2 main notes.

Awesome, really, I've test Zagorsk and Kyoto too, which are amazing too, but this one is my favorite.

dboudresux8
dboudresux8

I purchased the Avignon sample vial after reading a book featuring it. I never knew that CdG existed. After wearing the sample, and making everyone in my house smell it (they all loved it), I purchased the bottle. You can read the other reviews to see what it smells like, but I want to tell you how it makes you feel. You feel unique. For a perfume lover, unique is the mountain top. Once you go there, you never come back. Avignon makes you feel sexy, important, and a little unhinged. I don't want to smell like ANYONE else, and Avignon gives me that...finally. To step off the edge and into uniqueness is unforgetable. Buy this and you won't smell like the rest of the herd. But I warn you, it isn't for the faint of heart.

Beepert
Beepert

Astonishing. A perfect olfactory illusion. So completely mimics the scent of a Catholic Mass.
I thought I would love this scent, but it just depresses me - probably due to the fact that the only time I've experienced Mass was at the funeral of a beloved uncle. No way could I wear this. I do appreciate its genius though!
Jaisalmer and Kyoto, on the other hand...

Hoxx
Hoxx

After I tried this thing for the first time I liked its composition and its realistic smell, but I couldn’t even think of a way or opportunity to wear it. All of that changed after I dared to try it on my skin. Man, what a fragrance this is!

What you see is what you get with this one – it starts, lives and dies with incense, a different forms of it, though. It has plenty of resins used in religious ceremonies, like myrrh, frankincense, labdanum, even in its warm beginning. The combination of various incenses and carefully picked woody notes gives this perfume a churchy feeling. This, however, is an impression you get when cherrypicking notes and/or when sniffing from a bottle. While this perfume does resemble the smell of vast cathedral halls with all its odors combined – whether it’s its stone walls, old woody decorations, paintings, incense – it won’t give you a walking church aura. I can almost guarantee that you would get a ton of compliments wearing this one, and maybe a dash of people feeling the specific religious notes would comment in the matter of disapproval. Yes, a church smell can be inviting and almost aphrodisiacal, when put on a skin. A small disclaimer though – I cannot even imagine a woman wearing this, but in the beginning I couldn’t picture myself with it either.

When talking about the secondary characteristics of a perfume, sillage and longevity are both amazing. I’d say it’s too warm to wear during the day, and it does have a formal feel. This may seem weird, but it can also be used for clubbing and partying – well, pretty much for everything when it’s cold enough or late enough. Its price(and I firmly believe that it matters to plenty of people) is very acceptable, especially for such a unique perfume, that can be described as a borderline work of art.

9.5/10

Jack's Creation
Jack's Creation

This is what I imagine a cyborg's temple would smell of.

A unique, almost electronic take on incense.

Intriguing and compelling and the best of the CDG range.

Wonderful!

orangehaze99
orangehaze99

I have never been a Christian, and have only been in a few churches...so I can't comment on how much it really smells like a Catholic church. However, it truly reminds me of a fine piece of Renaissance art. As I experience this scent, it's like I'm travelling through time. And someone below mentioned picturing this being worn my someone listening to Sisters of Mercy while wearing black. Thank you for the smile and giggle, because as I smell it again...I can ABSOLUTELY see myself wearing this during my Goth days during the mid-1990s! Time travel indeed!

weevil
weevil

I adore this! It is reminiscent of a Catholic incense as others have described... I do not have alot to add, but I am also getting a slight 'damp cloth' and a 'dry stone' feeling from this - like a crumbling pillar inside a church. A lovely evocative scent that is not at all synthetic on me.

cezarmac
cezarmac

There is no better day to write about Avignon.First off Habemos Papam Franciscum.Well i've see a lot of people here talking about Cathedral or Church but you guys forget about to tell about Avignon as a City.Yes it is a Catholic place where Popes used to live in so we got some catholic smell in fragrance bottle somehow we have some reminds of Church or Cathedral.We are human being and perfumes are crafted to us so if you looking to smell like a sacred building just give up because every Church smells different from each other as well.
Avignon(perfume) is quiet,suitable,democratic,peacefull and frankincense together myhrr something divine like a peace of spirit.We got a little bit of aromatic feeling from oakmoss although what rules this fragrance is warmness calm down effect from chamomile on the drydown while the top notes is always present from the begin until settle down and be replacement by vanilla not sweet vanilla and patchouli on the end.

Longevity: enough to a city tour in Rome
Sillage: Polite and democratic you will bother nobody
Smell: Deeper at the same time bright like a pray
versatily: to me like a jeans

ps. if you are looking to strong frankincense catholic feeling go for Tauer IE.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Avignon is a "herbal" incense and kind of wet on my skin. It has nothing to do with the Catholic incense as some say although it is kind of churchy. There are some better incense frags on the market.

UPDATE (2014): Still find it a herbal incense but definitely one of the best catholic incense frags on the market (and it was the first one).

RHONORAY
RHONORAY

It's great if you want to smell exactly like the incense at a Catholic church. I don't. It's exactly as billed.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I have only smelled this scent, but I would love to buy it. Honestly I am not sure if any of my male friends would wear it, because it is a little strong, but in that case I want to wear it!!!!!!!
The only way I can describe it is "decadent"...I could imagine the Marquis DeSade wearing Incense Avignon.
A few years ago, I actually wrote a supernatural romance story (never finished it, sadly) set in Avignon at the time the Pope was there. It involved
a young widow, a perfumer and alchemist, and her forbidden affair with the Grand Inquisitor. When I described the hero's personal odor, it was pretty much Incense Avignon, although I did not actually discover this perfume until LAST WEEK! How cool is that? So I think I am destined to own it.
UPDATE: A friend gave me a sample vial and I have been wearing this scent for two days. I love it even more on my skin! It is smoky and mysterious, not at all sweet. The longevity is superb, the sillage is good but subtle.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The difference between Incense Avignon and other incense fragrances is that it evokes a specifically medieval feeling. The blend of notes is NOT quite like the incense used in modern Catholic churches. Also, there is an interesting, VERY subtle note which to me smells ever so slightly of blood. I happen to like this, as an accent.This may be what caused Chandler Burr to call Incense Avignon "perverse" (in a good way, of course). It is a very mature fragrance, not for everyone, but to me it is one of the most sensual scents ever.

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

Utterly stunning. This stopped me in my tracks. It smells exactly like a very ancient stone church with a thurible wafting church incense around. I couldn't stop sniffing it. It's incredible. And hard to find in the UK!

Carestinus
Carestinus

I'm SMITTEN by Avignon!!! the immediate moment after it touched my brown skin I thought this will go with me as far as I live. I've also sampled a couple of other churchy incense scents but what I find here is a gorgeous scent that is indeed very close to entering a catholic church (as far as I can remember from when I was obliged to go) but with a plus: you get sensuality for the same price.

Oh so sexy I can't believe it.

I won't go on and on since most of the images I've had are found here in other (great) reviews.
I will only add this is top quality and stays a looong way BUT with minimal sillage after the first minutes, which is the only flaw I can possibly think of.

Still, a favourite of mine.

Thanks Scorpiosheep for having interceded with the Gods on behalf of this sinner!

drummagick

Pretty much a dead ringer for a church incense resin blend called Jerusalem. The opening is gorgeous and the drydown is getting even better. This appeals to that 70s bohemian in me that still shows her face now and then. Full bottle worthy, for sure.

gmstrack
gmstrack

Avignon definitely lives up to the hype; I just can’t get enough of this fragrance! Several fantastic reviews have already described Avignon, so I really do not have much to add except that Avignon=man trap. Yes, that’s right; I’ve been wearing it every day for about a week now and I have received more compliments per (arbitrary) unit of time than with Hypnotic Poison and Angel. I’ve already given away two decants. This stuff is a drug!!!

5/5!!! Weeeeeeeee!

rafickw
rafickw

I am not 100% familiar with most of the notes on a singular level, however I smell Incense and Dirty patchouli, As it cooks on my skin it turns into a Chypre Incense while the patchouli disappears, kind of reminds me of the woody notes in Bleu De Chanel...just a little or also the heavy woody accord in Chanel Antaeous. Still a lovely scent. Great Projection.

deadidol
deadidol

Just bought myself a bottle for xmas, too. Even for an incense fragrance, it's an unusual one, and out of the five, I think it's the most dramatic. While it's "nice," I do think it's challenging as it's so sharp -- but I think it's that challenge that I like about it. I visited it and sampled it a couple of times before giving in, just to be sure I was up for it.

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

Oh how I love this fragrance. I've just treated myself to a bottle for Christmas. The true, cold scent of an old stone church, of which we have so many in England. Though an atheist, like Philip Larkin I often go a church-going, and it has that real smell you get as you open the heavy, bestudded oak door and enter the cool, dark interior with its burnt-out candles, chrysanthemums on the altar and the faded, musty smell of leather bibles, stone floors and old velvet hassocks. Superb fragrance.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

The word is Divine!
How can someone draw a perfume with this scent!? Making something that was a smoke on liquid, do not need to stretch is not it?
  Masterpiece where he spends an entire movie of my childhood going to church on Sunday mornings, a feeling that no money will pay.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Fetishy.

Everything you read about this fragrance is true - it smells like a Catholic Church. Incense, dust and antique wood. It captures an idea with pure perfection.

Longevity is excellent!

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

It's a pretty, clean, lemony cedar incense eau de toilette suitable for hot weather. It doesn't last at all. If it had longevity and strength on par with the original CdG I'd love it. As it is, it's simply not strong enough for people that seek out this type of hippie fragrance, unless you are Morrissey and can afford to purchase it by the pallet load.

pom
pom

Smell exactly like old Catholic church in Provence!
A must have from the incense serie....

josine75
josine75

Incense Avignon is a lovely perfume, but my suggestion would be to sample it first before you buy a fb. I blind bought a bottle of it, was very impressed with its smell but it gave me a terrible headache after 5 minutes. I gave it a second and third try a few days later but the headaches returned on both occasions. It is a big shame because it is really special, the incense is pretty strong in this one-exactly the same smell of incense you find in a church-but softened quickly by the patchouly and vanilla. It is really strong, you won't have to spray it on a lot to ensure and enjoy a full day of its aroma. Unfortunately, Incense Avignon doesn't like me, I gave her my best try but she turned me down every time. Swapped her away here :-((

AveParfum
AveParfum

Compared to other frankincense-like perfumes I've sampled, Avignon is the weakest when it comes to sillage and longevity. That might not be a bad thing, since frankincense can be awfully sharp. I'm not sure I would want it at full blast anyway.

Despite all the beautiful notes, I really just smell a linear, gentle frankincense, a bit of wood, and maybe some Iso E Super. I was hoping for some of those florals or spices, but alas I get none.

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

This is one of the most beautiful, bold, and serene fragrances I have ever had. I got a small sample from lucky scent and plan to buy a bottle later in the fall. The fragrance is at it's absolute best in winter, although it is a great smell at anytime. If you are looking to diversify your scented wardrobe- This is a must!

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

It is purported that this fragrance, along with Bonnie Belle Skin Musk and Egyptian Street Oil was Sara Jessica Parker's personally mixed scent (she was the "chemist") and was what she wanted her original fragrance to be launched as...something similar and with a musky unisex, "dirty" tone to it. The marketing directors discouraged her and wanted her to play to the female market first of all, which was how "Lovely" was conceived. I think this mix would have been amazing. Just a tid-bit of trivia...urban legend or truth...TBD...
Chandler Burr did a Story called, "One Nosy Dame" for the NY Times on this and it is online (google it)..very interesting read.

Geurenland
Geurenland

A serene scent. Give a magical feeling of visiting an old church in France with wet stone walls and the scent of olibanum.

muffinman
muffinman

For me the opening smells like an old soap. The dry-down is very similar to Gucci Pour Homme's dry down: smoky and slightly sweet, like a campfire laced with vanilla beans. Good for colder months. I had high hope for this one but I found it a bit too linear and didn't exactly invoke incense for me, probably because I never been to a church.

aschiffm
aschiffm

95% Smoky Incense. I get a bit of rosewood. I have no connections or memories to catholicism but what I can say is it smells a bit antique and dusty.

homogenic
homogenic

Sevilla. Semana Santa. Paso de Cristo. Camina con un cirio detrás del humo del incienso y.........llevarás Avignon. Obra maestra, unisex, atrevida, sagrada. Si te gusta el incienso, no puedes dejar de probarla. Duración?.. Hasta la eternidad. Proyección?? Qué más da?, si ya estas en el cielo?????.....

skeleton
skeleton

I got a sample of this one partly because I like incense perfumes but mainly because I lived in Avignon, France and, well, curious to try because of that. But I really, really like this fragrance. In perfume I prefer orientals and gourmands and I have a problem to find something suitable for work that I don't find too plain/boring. This I could probably wear for work - if I only use a few drops. It's warm, comfortable yet interesting and as long as you only use a little, quite discreet.

OK, have to add: a great plus -in my book- for making a perfume of this kind sandalwood-free. I don't know why, but I cannot stand sandalwood, and there are a lot of perfumes in the same "family" that I almost like...if it hadn't been for the sandalwood.

kris919
kris919

This is absolutely amazing. This is soooo damn close to midnght mass incense..unbelievable. It's not smoky enough, but other than that...an exact memory! I only regret not getting the Heeley Cardinal sample along with this one to do a proper side by side. This is musty, gothy, thick, and beautiful. The incense/spice/myrhh notes are perfectly blended and are of excellent quality. This would smell heavenly on man or woman, but especially on anyone listening to the sisters of mercy dressed in all black :)
lasts a long time too

This is absolutely amazing. I was raised Catholic,and my entire extended family were strict catholics. I went to church, confession ,and religion classes for the first 15 years of my life. (i'm a much happier atheist now ha). The only thing I ever missed about going to mass was the incense. When the priest would douse the church in a back and forth motion with the smoking thurible ornament on a chain, and the way your clothes smelled after the mass ended..amazing. This is soooo damn close to that smell. It's not smoky enough, but other than that...an exact memory! I only regret not getting the Heeley Cardinal sample along with this one to do a proper side by side. This is musty, gothy, thick, and beautiful. The incense/spice/myrhh notes are perfectly blended and are of excellent quality. This would smell heavenly on man or woman, but especially on anyone listening to the sisters of mercy dressed in all black :)

danielmventer
danielmventer

A Lovely warm scent of Champa incenses for a winters evening. Not for daytime wear. Unless your a hippie.People ask me if I meditate....I say: "Sometimes, but mostly I just want to smell like Jiddu Krishnamurti". I do find it funny that they have to put a religious type in front of the word `incence` everytime in this day and age.

It does `bother` me a bit when people say in their reviews:
"..scent brought back many memories of my days being an alter boy". LOL!

Hari Krishna

Comme des Garçons AVIGNON is an incredibly beautiful incense perfume. I am very pleasantly surprised, having been somewhat disappointed by a couple of the other members of this series I've tried. Why is this one so much better to my nose? I suppose because it's a full-fledged, complex perfumic composition, as opposed to a solution of finely ground incense...

"Several kinds of incense, chamomile, vanilla, patchouli, rosewood and ambrette"...

Small wonder I'm smitten! Ambrette probably puts this over the top from like to love for me. Who knew that a relatively linear incense perfume could be a serious wrist sniffer? For the record, this does not smell like a musty old Catholic church to me. No, on the contrary, AVIGNON smells like something which clearly belongs on my wish list: a gorgeous oriental woody perfume!

feleeni
feleeni

The ultimate fragrance. Could never find a better incense. Hits all the right spots. The Chanel 5 of the niche world, imho.

calyx93
calyx93

The smell of my high school's chapel and my former church's old stone walls from those years. Sounds rather somber and unpleasant - I know, especially if one has had bad experiences with Catholicism. However, to me, it's a very grounding fragrance more than one I would wear to complete a look or for a night out. Like most incense, it's very meditative and helps me with inner peace as frankincense is such an ancient aroma - probably tied deep into many humans' ancient memories over thousands of years.

It's odd, definitely polarizing and always gets a reaction from those who smell it on me, good or bad. I know I'll always have a bottle in my collection simply because it makes me feel serene.

jtd
jtd

All the talk of the mysterious sense of smell, the visceral sense of smell. The sense of the emotions, therefore with the least association with reason. I really don’t get that. Yes, the sense of smell is discussed incorrectly or at least poorly. We have a strikingly lacking practical vocabulary for how we employ smell and how we use it to create meaning for ourselves. I include myself here. It’s a hole in our collective ability to talk to each other.

But I do love the associative capacity of the sense of smell. It is specific and evocative, but for me doesn’t have the luggage of weighty emotional cathexis. It’s the small stuff, not the big “Rosebud” moment.

To Avignon. I smell it and it takes me right back to a very specific moment of my alter-boy youth. It’s the memory of the sensation of crunching through the snow to my parish church in the dark on winter mornings to serve the early daily mass, opening the back door to the church and smelling the lingering scent of the incense we used. That very moment. I loved it as a boy. It’s not the huge and the sweeping. It’s the small and specific. It allows me to remember myself as that young boy.

sablebombe
sablebombe

Got my big bottle today and I'm so loving this! I'm at Mass - I'm back at work in the church ordering supplies - I'm back in my life two years! Not too well to get to mass now - and TBH I'm kind of over that stage of my life - but I always loved the scent of church and this perfume recreates it completely!

If you have never been to a Roman Catholic high Mass and have no intention of going but wondered what it would smell like - this is the scent for you.....!!!!

Frankincense and Myrrh - the scent of Jesus??? Well maybe just the scent of the Mass! But I do love this - I'm getting concerned as well as I have sprayed so much on me that I might be morphing into the Mass itself LOL....!!! Or just running out of my bottle in one day???

This is so unusual and individual - I'd defy anyone to think this is not what the 15th century smelt like in England?

This is NOT - romantic, sexy, floral, run of the mill - it IS distinct, unusual, special, rare!

If you do take the plunge - then enjoy to your hearts content! This is one complex perfume - you need to say 10 Hail Mary's and 2 Our Fathers to repent for smelling tooooo good...!!!!

BTW - I also purchased the incense, and you may think of doing the same based on the fragrance - don't it is too dry and dusty and isn't as good as the fragrance!

Heverton
Heverton

This fragrance to me is a masterpiece. Beautifully done! But it have a problem attached to it.

The problem is that this fragrance to me is a church in a bottle. Smells exactly the same as the myrrh used in masses. A very well done fragrance that lacks versatility.

In conclusion, it is very hard to pull this off, but it is a marvelous fragrance that must take part in the closet of every collector.

smokeandspice
smokeandspice

Perhaps the most intense of the incense series which is why i love it. Its has a wonderful sweet creamy undertone that the other incense fragrances don't have and reminds me of creme brule over burning incense.

Kamicha
Kamicha

I’m definitely not a fruity floral gal, but I have to say that I was slightly surprised to fall head over heels to this old church smell.

The opening is a massive, panoramic olfactory view over an old catholic church (just can’t be thinking of St. Peter’s in Vatican, having just been there)—the incense, the cool, moist minerals of old stone building, ancient wood. The scent is so evocative, so real that I bet that people grown in catholic culture might find it even too… …representing. But for me… …well, my few visits in places like that don’t really emotionally wire to anything—and I can enjoy the pure beauty of it.

But the scent is not just about this trippy realness of the opening—it starts to evolve instantly to something more wearable: a beautiful arrangement of woody and aromatic notes around incredibly smoky incense note with hint of spices. I get some earthy patchouli, hint of vanilla, myrrh, cedar, maybe some other woods. The overall impression is dry—as opposite of sweet—this scent definitely has somehow moist feel in it. It’s very dimensional, beautifully aromatic, sort of clean without being a bit soapy (should I say pure?), slightly mineral, deep without being heavy. Very calming without actually being cool at all.

I can imagine wearing this both in summer and winter. It’s also my best bet on the question "what would Madonna wear on the Like a Prayer video"…

Avignon is HUGE! One of my favourite scents of all times. The opening is absolutely distinctive with an intense explosion of severe frankincense and myrrh, almost harshing but incredibly fascinating. The catholic church effect is pushed to the limit and persists during the drydown while camomille provides an extra dose of mystery and warmness smoothing the general harshness. Cedarwood and Iso E Super are clearly remarkable throughout but they're never overdone. A meditative scent that surrounds you with its intense warmness and deep resinous allure. As a trendsetter, Avignon became one of the most imitated straight forward incenses of the last 10 years (Heeley's Cardinal, Mark Buxton's Around Midnight, Biehl's MB3, Montale's Full Incense). Another Bertrand Duchafour's masterpiece!

Note: Avignon has a wonderful sillage and an amazing lasting power!

Migotka
Migotka

If I have to be honest, this is one of the most depressing fragrances I have ever smelled.

I dont know how other scents from the series compare to the religions they refer to. But Avignon is a Catholic church, and the most traditional one. I have been to Catholic churches outside my country, none had the exact same ambience and smell as at home. The texture if very cold stone the smell of old, wooden benches soaked up in the incense they have been 'breathing in' for many years.

I am not saying that I dont like going to the church. BUT this scent is just too real for me to wear. Maybe people in the UK would not have the same association (with so many not even going to the church at all), and will not be able identify what Avignon smells of. But I am just not that keen of smelling like Sunday mass. And it is definitely not something Id enjoy on anyone around. The scent is a msterpiece in itself, recreating an atmosphere of a church must have been a tough one, but some things are better off left as they are. If I want to smell a hcurch, Id just go to one.

hollycat
hollycat

This scent is like being in a beautiful catholic cathedral, gothic, mid-evil cathedral during midnight mass on Christmas eve.

Although my catholic upbringing wasnt always happy. (thats another story). I find this scent incredibly sacred and sprititual. Its not sexy, romantic, or any other cliches related to perfume. It is truly a scent to be worn when you want to feel peace, and be transported. Your not gonna turn anyones head with this, but you may get people wanting your sage worthy counsel.

I would love to own a bottle of this scent, just for the purpose of the feeling it evokes. But I dont know how often I would wear it. I would only want to wear it alone.

Sweet frankincense, myrhh, and beautiful smoky incence. Im making peace with my catholic past.

mal23
mal23

A nice frankenscence and myyrh scent. If that your cup of tea, you will enjoy this incense scent. I however, find it to be unpleasant for my taste.

Cereza
Cereza

It opens so GORGEOUS! I'm not fun of incense scents as I usually find them unwearable, but this is so awesome that I'm not able to keep my nose off my wrist. Well, ok, I must agree with catbiscuit that I can't imagine myself wearing this, but the scent is so touching, warm and comfortable. I have never been religious, but I've been studying history and I'm on my way to getting Bachelor's and I'm very fund of the history of art and architecture and therefore been to many churches and Catholic together with the Ortodox are my favourite churches, because of the comfort feeling - the feeling that there is someone more powerful than you and the smell of the incense and the wooden benches. So Comme des Garcons takes me to trip back to many small catholic churches I've been to and inhaled their beauty and power with a little bit of fear, but a huge interest. Thank you, Comme des Garcons.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

My encounter with Avignon is a result of my tentative exploration outside my beloved floral comfort zone. This usually leads to a perfume 'experience' as opposed to finding the scented love of my life. And so it is here.

Beginning with a bang, I find Avignon to settle into a warm, dry, woody, comforting, deep scent. It makes me feel safe and relaxed, probaly a result of centuries of familiarity to the human experience. It is however a little 'sterotypical' as an incense, so I suppose CdG has been successful in its aim to churchify us all.

While a beautiful creation, for my purposes I would infinately prefer this scenting my home as opposed to my person. I just cannot see myself announcing my arrival with a swing of the thurible so to speak.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Note: I will not be using 'cathedral', 'church' or 'catholic' in my review.

But I will be using the word 'breast'.

Last week my friend was in town for business and stayed the weekend so i could take her to wine country. At the last minute she asked if a friend could join us, who was in the U.S. for the first time. No problem, i said.

I asked this friend where was he from, and he replied "Avignon." This is why I can't use churchy references in my review.

My gregarious guest spent the weekend telling jokes with big hand gestures, heartily slurping his wine in the tasting room, and joyfully asking women if their husbands were married. At the beach he wondered if "women were allowed here to put their breasts out?" (i.e, go topless)

So how to I interpret Avignon, the fragrance, after this? Not without fond memories, i'm afraid. The scent itself is dry, warm and resinous, with a pitch perfect incense note that i just love. Like my friend's visit it doesn't last as long as I'd like, but when it's around it keeps me interested throughout.

I love Avignon, and recommend it as fragrance you could step out in at any time.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Perfectly captures the frankincense-myrrh of old-fashioned Catholic church incense. Unfortunately completely one-note--no depth, no nuance, no other note or flavor. If you really like incense you may be as well off becoming an altar boy.

rosesbecomeme
rosesbecomeme

Oh Robert you did make me laugh. You really should get Armani's Bois D'Encens candle to burn in those romantic moments ! I love Avignon as it reminds me of Midnight masses of childhood . I wasn't Catholic but went to mass with a friend. The whole service was in Polish so I just enjoyed the theatricality . I prefer plain worship but got hooked on incense .

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I LOVE this fragrance. I have no Catholic baggage or associations, so I appreciate the scent for its olfactory qualities alone. It's a linear, monolithic incense, the European incense archetype. When I smell this incense I understand why people went to church back in the middle ages. This incense is truly capable of being the opiate of the masses (pun intended).

Robert White

I'm going to add another review. This is one of my absolute FAVORITES. If you like incense perfumes, you MUST own this, along with Aedes de Venustes and Jubliation XXV by Amouage.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

First, I love catholic churches incence. BUT on me it gave me headache, and after 5 minutes it was nauseated... I feel sorry because it's a good fragrance. Bit linear and and lack in deepness but good.
For it's uniqueness (remind me Heeley's Cardinal)I like it. I give this a

edit: I love it now, even the little headache.

9,5/10

Darius HIldenbrandt
Darius HIldenbrandt

this scent for me is phantastic ;-))))). it reminds about deep old sacred times , about old italian, spain and french cities, about church space, wchich smells of myra, arabian resin .....

rebella
rebella

The biggest church I´ve visit is St Paul´s Cathedral in London. What on earth does St Paul´s Cathedral has to do with CdG´s Avignon? A lot actually, but the one thing I really think of is the space they have in common.

Even a small countryside church can have the ability to making me feel little. Little in a pleasant way tough.

CdG´s Avignon has that very space in it. It is the smell of a catholic church during mass, says the one´s who knows. I don´t. Well, maybe all kind of churches and big holy buildings has that space in common? I am curious to find out.

Avignon is the smell of the big space in a somewhat cold and old stone building. Avignon is the smell of a building where thousands and thousands of candles has been burned trough the years. Avignon is the smell of incense, insence so often used in the building that if we carry the benches out in the sun, they would still smell of the incense for a long time. Avignon is the smell of golden covered wooden carvings and brass chandelers.

Yes, I do love Avignon. I am so happy I´ve finally tried it. But, I´m not sure I want a bottle of it. I am not sure if I really want to go around smelling like all that big emptiness and corrupted holyness. I think it could make me feel like I am walking around like some kind of heretic. Maybe some days that would make me feel cool, some days sad.

Avignon could be the worlds No 1 emo-perfume...

Try it? Of course.

I keep forgetting to sign in. To copypaste the review I just committed without doing so:
Goes on like bayberry and beeswax then fades down into a churchy incense, but there's a musty note that doesn't go away, like the inside of an old deserted house. I love incense fragrances and most of this one is great, but that musty note is a deal breaker.

Robert White

Oh, man is this stuff good...I like incense fragrances (got Aedes de Venustes for my beloved, and I REALLY want Amouage Jubilation XXV)...and this is one of the BEST. Reminds me of this time in 1987 when I stole a case of Champagne (Veuve Cliquot, my fave)and me and a bunch of my punk rocker friends broke into a Catholic church in Chelsea, Massachusetts...drank the wine, smoked hash, and I had sex with a beautiful dreadlocked black punk girl on the altar...sorry if that offends anybody, but it's probably the best use that that place has ever been put to...we cleaned the place up afterwards, too.

mariotgomez

A little goes a long way with this scent. Through out the day, you will be transported to a cathedral during high mass. The smokiness of the frankincense and patchouli may through some of you back to the 70's. The dry down will leave you wondering if you have repent enough over the over indulges of how sinfully the vanilla notes keep enticing you.

mariotgomez

I received this as an gift. This is my second fragrance from this CdG Serries #3 (the 1st being Kyoto). At first it is intense but warms up beautifully. This scent brought back many memories of my days being an alter boy. The next one in line for me is Quarzazate. I recommend these CdG Series for anyone who is looking for that unique fragrance.