Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

dislike

smoky
cinnamon
Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer Comme des Garcons for women and men Pictures

Series 3 Incense was launched in 2002 and was devoted to the five main spiritual teachings of the humanity:
Avignon – Catholicism

Ouarzazate – Islam
Zagorsk – Orthodox Christianity
Jaisalmer – Hinduism
Kyoto – Buddhism and Shintoism

Each of the fragrances is named after the cities significant for those teachings.

Jaisalmer is Hinduism, named after the ancient Indian city of Jaisalmer, situated in the desert, north-western part of India, in Rajasthan. Jaisalmer means ‘Golden City’ and in ancient times it was placed on the route between India and Egypt. Indian traders were transporting ebony to Egypt, and therefore it is one of the main notes in this fragrance. Red hot pepper is mixed with aromatic warm cinnamon and cardamom, incense is here spicy, woodsy and earthy.

The main notes are cardamom, incense, cinnamon, amber, benzoin, red hot chilly pepper, Guaiac wood and ebony.

The nose behind this fragrance is Evelyne Boulanger.

Amber Cinnamon Benzoin Pepper Ebony Wood Guaiac Wood Incense Cardamom Pimento Red Berries

Blue Encens
Padparadscha

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer Fragrance Reviews

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

More illusionary then Avignon, also this disappears after 1 hour completely. More important , this is result of clever marketing, because I know for sure has NOTHING to do with Hindu/Vedaism /Jaisalmer. Just a variation on A. , making it softer and rounded by adding the anachronistic twins pine/firn and resulting in a very soft 'pine and softly masculine' vibe. Entirely western, belongs to the Christian subconscious, they better call it A.2 instead this lie. For real Hindu incense search elsewhere ( best India self ) and if you love this scent regardless of its fakey name, I advice to search R.Gigli ( vintage): lasts 24 hours and more surprising, vivid and a reference ( yes, also for this con ! ) R.Gigli was made in 86-87 and is generally considered a masterpiece.

Jrmcquill
Jrmcquill

After first spray, I already like it better than Avignon. This is so much brighter, bursting with conifer-like incense. Sharp and spicy like CdG’s Black, but with more warmth, which gives this more versatility than either two scents. Unfortunately, I experience the same short lifespan as Avignon, but still a thumbs up!

smora
smora

If you like incense, but can't handle Avignon maybe Jaisalmer is the solution. In Jaisalmer incense is perfectly balanced with spices, amber and transparent woodiness. It possess the internal primordial duality: archaic by incense and contemporary by high concentrations of Iso E Super. Holy yet human. Those seeking for hedonism will enjoy in oriental spiciness of bazaar, while those seeking for internal peace will enjoy the clarity of incense. Jaisalmer represents the duality of live, perfectly shown by perfumer Evelyne Boulanger.

Rating: dual ****

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

This is the safest of the series. It smells nice and adds a bit of spiciness but not overdone. Can be worn year round and does not have many bad things about it. Of course most will go for Avignon if they are searching for an incense scent and are new to these types, but most vets will at least sample this and take it for what it is worth.

Ruffienne
Ruffienne

This is a light, warm and pleasant scent, but it is also very austere.
If you demand sweetness in your perfumes, this is not for you.
The opening notes are extremely heavily dominated by pinesap and woodiness, and they soften over time to something milder and perhaps more incense-like.
It is nothing like as heavy as many scents that are described as "incense", maybe because of the blessed absence of patchouli.
Personally I do not find this a spicy fragrance at all, and it certainly doesn't smell like my idea of India; it is far too simple, linear and restrained.

Genuinely unisex, but also sadly short-lived.

sharmap14
sharmap14

smells like really strong masala tea.

Hoxx
Hoxx

Speaking solely about the smell, for me, this is one of the nicest perfumes ever. Like, if Indian marketplace really smells this way, I'll have to move to India someday.

It has that trademark incense note of CdG and, especially, Series 3, but, other than that, there's a whole new world around. The incense backbone is surrounded by an abundance of spices in the opening - mostly cardamom and pepper, but with a dash of cinnamon as well, and later there is a fine mixture of ebony and oriental resins as well. This simplified picture, though, can't describe how divine the smell is, through the top, heart and base notes, all the time.

Unfortunately, the longevity is abysmal on my skin. I can't get more than an hour or two out of this one, and that's really a shame. It also doesn't project well while it's present, and that doesn't help either. To make things even worse, this is as wearable and as unique as any CdG, so that just makes all this more sad.

This is an one-of-a-kind smell, aura and atmosphere but, unfortunately, with very, very short life.

10/10 for the smell
7/10 for the perfume

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

Upon first sniff I'm hit with a direct reminder of a certain candy: atomic fireballs. Those round, red, spicy, candies that were reasonably popular in the early '90s. They were spicy almost to the point of novelty. Anyway, it's surely the cinnamon and red hot chilly pepper in Jaisalmer's opening that brings back this memory. And quite a spicy opening it is indeed. Too much for my taste, but a general fan of spicy fragrances should be really pleased with this one. I enjoy it more when the spice starts to calm.

More akin to a colorful Indian spice market than a Hindu temple, Jaisalmer almost becomes edible as it softens up, and the cardamom is really a beautiful addition. Unfortunately by that point it's nothing more than a faint whisper, as Jaisalmer's longevity is simply abysmal on my skin. It's a shame that the scent is gone before it has a chance to really develop, because this is probably the most wearable and most uplifting of the entire incense series. Perhaps it works better on clothing.

Lana148
Lana148

Jaisalmer is another brilliant incense creation from Comme des Garcons. This one is incense-spicy-woody composition. Cardamom, cinnamon and ebony wood stands out the most. There are also hot pepper and little sourness from red berries.

Jaisalmer is perfectly balanced and perfectly wearable, but I would like to wear it to yoga class or meditate with it.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A slightly more fruity and more ambery, less liturgical version of Avignon. Green balsamic breeze with a pungent hint of pepper and laurel oak on aromatic woods – and of course, a soothing, oniric, meditative incense fog all over. Another great scent among the must-have Incense Series.

Marciu
Marciu

Jaisalmer is a combination of sweetness(guaiac wood, cinnamon, benzoin), incense and spices.

Out of all five incenses, I'd call this one the most oriental, I guess. Don't know why - to me it's just oriental-smoky scent.

Longevity is poor/medium - 3-6 hours on me.

It makes me wanna test it more :)

joe70062
joe70062

Purchased on Lucky scent and received today. It is just truly beautiful. You get pencil shavings (cedar) and cinnamon. It is wonderful. I can wear this all year. Sample it first, but you will love it.

Smelling the members of the Comme des Garçons Incense series blind is an excellent way to come to terms with the reality that the human capacity for scent discrimination is highly relative. It is very difficult even to figure out which of these perfumes is which except in side-by-side comparisons. Why? Because they all smell like incense, of course! There are lots of incense perfumes around, and this set of sleekly packaged blends includes some of the best.

In the case of Jaisalmer, I am struck immediately by the fresh tree scent. No fir trees or conifers or any evergreens are listed in the note pyramid, but my very first impression is of that sort of tree. Other reviewers (including a perfumer) have identified the responsible ingredient as "pine sap". That sounds right to me, though I cannot claim ever to have smelled neat pine sap!

The overall effect is very church-y, notwithstanding the intention to evoke the atmosphere of hinduism. I'm unclear as to what hinduism would smell like, given the tenets of that religion, but maybe there is a sense of the mysticism of nature here? Or perhaps the point here is to promote ecumenicalism, and that's why there is so much overlap between the various members of this series?

drkool_phd
drkool_phd

What's interesting here is that this "Hindu" fragrance smells just like Russian Orthodox incense. I say so because it has benzoin in it, which is a major component of Russian Orthodox incense; powdered frankincense and benzoin make up the base, and other oils are added to it. In fact, Hermitage of the Holy Cross sells an incense called "Old Church" that smells exactly like Jaisalmer.

This is a great fragrance, and it's definitely the crowd-pleaser of the CdG incense series. Although I consider Avignon and Zagorsk more interesting and unique, this one is more likely to appeal to the toiling masses.

Redbeard
Redbeard

The first time around, I found this to be the best balanced, and least of an "outlier" among the incense series. (Hopefully that doesn't mean boring). It's more of a straightforward, sweet wood in the top notes, with just a hint of spice to begin with, but that will grow. Cinnamon like in Maharadjah starts to appear pretty quickly, and gets very strong but doesn't completely overshadow the initial wood note, something that I find happens too often in spicy wood scents. The spices here are very "warm", or even hot, but it's not spicy in terms of burning or being peppery. It has the garam masala spice blend of chai tea, but in spite of the "incense" label, it blends them almost solely with wood, not with smoke. I honestly prefer this, when I consider how Tea for Two is almost ruined for me by too much smokiness. Later the ardent fire of the spices cools down, and the smooth, middle-of-the-road sweet wood returns, and it ends up resembling Sequoia somewhat, but with a more polished rather than raw wood aspect. There's still enough creamy sandalwood along with that slight crayon-waxiness to show that it's Indian-inspired, but like Ouarzazate it's not over-the-top, not trying too hard to be exotic. Another balanced, sophisticated winner from the Incense series!

Great scent this one...reminds me of lots of things but I still can't quite place what?
It's a spicy and oriental, right out of the gate the cardamom and dry pepper are there with a clean pure incense which feels somehow cleansing.
Something slightly tiger balmy in the opening but settles to a very subtle scent. 2 down 3 to go and the series is a total hit with me so far let's hope one of the next ones I try is an absolute knockout!

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

Yum! Fresh cedar shavings with a sweet and spicy edge. I know cedar isn't in the notes listed, but like others who mentioned pencil shavings, this smells to me like fresh, sweet, shaved cedar. It is such a gentle, natural sweetness, not a knock-you-down, rich, heavy sweetness. The cinnamon is a beautiful pairing for the cedar. It's as though you can't tell where the wood ends and the cinnamon begins. I'm not sure about the cardamom, but I guess that could be part of that sweet quality too. The frag evaporated so quickly it was kind of hard to spot all its elements before it was gone.

Like others, I was a bit sad that this had a life of about 10 minutes if that. You'd need to dump a cupful right over your head for this to be more than a moment's pleasure.

dboudresux8
dboudresux8

My husband and I both fell for CdG Avignon, it is truly amazing. Then we decided to branch out and try Jaisalmer. This simply smells like fresh pencil shavings and cinnamon. It is wonderful! It is a bit easier to wear than Avignon, but doesn't last as long. Right now it's July (Hot!!) in New Orleans no less, and I wear it. The heat has no effect on it, and it is quite pleasant to catch wiffs of it around me. Try the sample first. Better to spend 5 bucks than 80 if you are curious.

sarabeth4rd
sarabeth4rd

Avignon and Jaisalmer are the most gorgeous fragrances! I bought both... paid $80 per bottle.... I adore these and would gladly pay more if they could make the fragrance last longer. Literally these scents are completely gone within 10-15 minutes after application. Obviously they are heavy ladened with alcohol. I dont know why they dont concentrate the scents, remove the alcohol and up the price. I so love these scents, but I will never buy them again. I cannot afford to smell great for 10 minutes. I even sprayed my clothes and that had the same outcome. NO it is not my chemistry. I tried it on two friends as well with the same results. REMOVE THE ALCOHOL !! I dont mind paying more !!!

Beepert
Beepert

Such a beautiful smell. I expected Avignon to be my favourite from this series, but Jaisalmer wins hands down for me. It is warm, dry, sensual and inviting, and totally different without being alienating. I just wish it projected more!

Edit: Within three hours of application, it has completely disappeared from my skin. Not the slightest whiff of it left. Such a shame. I won't be buying a full bottle!

kabelaced
kabelaced

It's definitely smoky, and right now I am getting pine scent from this perfume. It smells neither stereotypically masculine or feminine, and I like that.

Smells good, but maybe I didn't dab enough on, because I feel the scent itself is a bit weak. I think this also might go well if layered with a scent with clary-sage or lime.

Yerdan
Yerdan

I didn't like it. The pine note on my skin had a strong dill edge, freshly cut dill. This was so dominant I could not get any other notes. After this faded away, I don't know how to put it, but what I got was some very chemical and nasty smell like some anti-insect poison.
Seemed weird to me. I don't recommend a blind buy.

m3phist023
m3phist023

I agree with samuel.martin.1 that this is a lot like masala chai. On me it starts out more like the dry tea leaves and spices before brewing, then the dry down mellows to a chai latte. On me, the dry down smells kind of like Tibetan Mountain Temple by Pacifica, but more peppery. Delicious!

Justyna
Justyna

The most compliemented scent I've ever owned. I cannot detect any artificiall, chemical note in Jaisalmer, it smells of fresh sweet sweat, like if it was a product of my body. Or I wish it was... The natural feeling of being in "my own skin", only better. And it DOES NOT include any cumin :) The final impression is not "churchy" at all, but a bit oriental due to spices. A sort of gourmand incense, delicious and calm...

samuel.martin.1276
samuel.martin.1276

This smells like a homemade CHai latte, I still prefer Kyoto but I could wear this in the fall or on a warm winer day. If you love the smell of a fresh Chai tea give it a try.

CDGfan
CDGfan

I found this very long lasting even more so than Kyoto or Avignon, I prefer Kyoto but this is more versatile. It smells like high quality Indian masala incense to me.

Ando
Ando

It has a touch of mystery, a touch of moss, outdoors, swamps... Something in it makes me think about vetiver some time after the application? Perhaps not, but some wonderful incense burning, dry, soft, like a lovely aura embracing me delightfully. It developes beautifully. I love the earthy warmness, with those spice and incense facets and Orient. This fragrance has a great character, I'm so tired with those fragrances for women - fortunately there are some exceptions, my all time favorite being Balenciaga Talisman, for special occasions. Jaisalmer is for everyday.

cloyd42
cloyd42

The CdG Incense series have a problem with this whole line. They've done a sensational job of replicating various incenses but they've done it quite literally. To me, this is a failure for perfume because while the chemist in me admires turning birch tar into leather, the artist in me needs evocation as much as replication.
Everyone has commented on the pininess of this scent. I see the connection but I think this is actually the ebony. I find this deficient in spice and the pepper missing. My summary: a neat magician's trick but not much of a perfume.

Sillage: fairly close 1-3 ft
Duration: 3 hours and counting
Fabulosity: He's a lumberjack and he's okay
Value to Price ratio: poor
2/10 as a perfume; 9/10 as a special effect

muffinman
muffinman

Resinous, peppery and piney. Smells like a very old book. The weakest one in the incense series.

fpih
fpih

As others have mentioned, this has a very strong pine note at the opening, that lasts for at least 30 minutes. In fact, it's so loud that it smothers pretty much anything else for a while. And then it fades away (never completely though) and the incense shines trough. And how it shines! It's calming, warming, comforting AND not the least bit churchy. While I love Avignon, I find it hard to wear because of the strong churchy connotations; no such fear with Jaisalmer. This is not a meditating fragrance like Avignon or Kyoto, this is an incense to wear when out clubbing. IMO, it's the most wearable of the Incense series (along with Quarzazate but that lacks any lasting power). The spices (cardammon & pepper) warm this up, making it perfect for colder weather. In fact, I find this much more 'flamboyant' than Encens Flamboyant which I also own and although I like to layer my incense scents with other perfumes, I think is too rich to need any 'embelishment'.

After 4 samples, I finally invested in a FB and I can see myself wearing it quite often. A must try for incense lovers!

kris919
kris919

Really nice, warm, spicy incense with strong notes of cinnamon, clove, pepper, and some kind of a pine-y woody note. It's like a strong spiced tea perfect in autumn and wintertime. I like this one alot.

Heverton
Heverton

A rich incense opening! But not the kind of incense that we can find in Avignon, where mixed with myrrh gives us a church feeling.

Here we have a incense note accompanied by spicy notes like cardamon upon a resinous base where benzoin shines. A very versatile incense based fragrance if I may say.

I adore incense-based fragrances although it wasn't a scent I was familiar with until I dated one man that was a meditation fanatic, and then after that, a man who sees himself as one of those new-age hippies.

I had tried Heeley's Cardinal and Comme Des Garcons Avignon, both of them being rather similar, and believed that I had experienced everything that an incense-based fragrance could possibly achieve. I have since found Jaisalmer which has taken my love of incense to new heights.

I agree with Scorpiosheep that this fragrance is not so 'churchy'. It's more resinous, like the sweet, smokey scent of burning wood in a pine forest. It tends to smell very masculine, however on my skin it turns quite feminine and sensual. Delightfully mysterious actually.

The cinnamon is fairly heavy in the opening, as is the pepper which together create an interesting, spicy blend. The woodsy notes are strong contenders through to the heart where Jaisalmer gives me that outdoorsy type of sensation. Like wandering through the wilderness and not knowing what you'll discover.

This fragrance is indeed pungent, so I spray with caution and allow it to settle before leaving the house. Too much could easily be offensive, however I do believe compliments will be in order when I next wear this in public.

The longevity is extremely good, as reviewers have previously mentioned. I think Jaisalmer is one of those fragrances that will either be loved or hated. For those that like incense, amber, cinnamon, pepper or pine, or all of them combined, Jaisalmer is sure to impress. I'll just re-instate for those men looking at this page, wondering why it's listed for women, do keep in mind that Jaisalmer is intended to be unisex.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Initially Jaisalmer is a dry and austere balsamic incense loaded with fresh pine sap. If it contains spices, they’re not much in evidence. I’m not sure what the Indian connection is, because it doesn’t smell at all like typical Indian incense. What it smells like is church incense accompanied by one of the best pine resin notes I’ve ever smelled in a perfume.

A couple of hours into the drydown, I imagine that I smell a little patchouli, but it may have been left over from something I was working with earlier. The scent remains mostly linear, just the lovely warm pine balsam that reminds me of the rosin that’s used on violin bows. After the initial phase there’s not a lot of sillage, but the skin scent lasts all day.

Jaisalmer is a unique take on incense. I really enjoyed testing it, and will surely end up using all of my sample, then possibly going back for more.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

If you mention "woods" or "incense", this will definitely get my attention. If you say both in one sentence - I'll be hooked up =)
I remember sampling CDG Avignon and Zagorsk at the store, trying to decide which one I want, but somewhere at the back of my mind it screamed "Too much church! Are you 100% sure you'll be wearing this?"
And then my hand reached for the bottle standing nearby, which happened to be Jaisalmer, and ...oh! This was it, I found it!
Yes, this one is full of masculine tones, but somehow I love it, and some time after the application and settles to become very cozy. Many incense fragrances are often accompanied by patchouli, which I don't always appreciate. This fragrance, deprived of dreadful patchouli and rounded up by amber, woods and spices, has development and lasts very long, and I love it in cold winter weather. I guess, it's my favourite among the CDG Incense series))

Exactly like burning incense, including the sharp woody edge. Really not a perfume scent, but extremely atmospheric. Recommended for incense fragrance aficionados.

imgcas
imgcas

Very spicy incense which makes me think of an oriental marketplace.
It is not a sillage monster, in fact you'll have to smell close to the skin to get all the shades of this scent.

If you liked Donna Karan Black Cashmere, you'll like Jaisalmer. Both are quite similar.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garcons. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garcons represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.