Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto Comme des Garcons for women and men

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto Comme des Garcons for women and men
dislike

smoky
Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto Comme des Garcons for women and men Pictures Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto Comme des Garcons for women and men Pictures

Series 3 Incense was launched in 2002 and was devoted to the five main spiritual teachings of the humanity:
Avignon – Catholicism

Ouarzazate – Islam
Zagorsk – Orthodox Christianity
Jaisalmer – Hinduism
Kyoto – Buddhism and Shintoism

Each of the fragrances is named after the cities significant for those teachings.

Kyoto is Buddhism and Shintoism, a fragrance for meditation, named after the city of Kyoto, considered to be the heart of Japan. Kyoto is calm and wise, it takes us through the temples of the city, making us think and reconcile. The eternal green aromatic cypress mixes with calm and powerful elegance of cedar; vetiver invites us to listen to the breathing of black and warm earth. Powerful, yet not rough, Kyoto can also be found in a form of fragrant candle for the house.

The main notes are: incense, cypress oil, coffee, teak wood, patchouli, amber, cedar and immortal flower.

Amber Patchouli Cypress Coffee Cedar Vetiver Incense Teak Wood Immortelle

Bois Marocain

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto Fragrance Reviews

Shibor
Shibor

A remarkable frankincense scent.
You feel a fresh blast of minty cypress at the beginning. After a while the scent warms up from woods and incense. Then it becomes slightly sourly in the base as vetiver begins to interact more with cypress.

With some imagination you can picture Japan (comes from the chosen name by the creators).
For me, it’s definitely a meditatively-thoughtful scent, not for everyday use.

As it’s a classic of incense and a piece of art, it’s a recommendation for lovers of (somewhat stronger) incense scents!

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

This is probably my favourite scent in the world - it’s austere and meditative and calls to mind a dark prayer in a cool, shadowy forest temple.

Yourhumblenarrator
Yourhumblenarrator

Kyoto is the holy grail of the incense series. While the others work masterfully at capturing exactly what it is they claim to capture, Kyoto does the same while still managing to be quite wearable.

This is a sweet, serene, soapy incense that brings to mind Japanese hot springs. It's slightly coniferous and very calming. The incense is far less aggressive here, appearing more like a damp, peppery, wood. A brilliant composition that also works well on clothing. Interestingly, there's a coffee note listed, but my nose is still searching for it.

Great for a contemplative mood, post rain, or simply relaxing indoors. Not only the best of the incense line but also holds its own as one of the greatest Comme des Garcons scents. A masterpiece.

oobunillaoo
oobunillaoo

Kyoto starts with a clean, well-rounded vetiver and cypress, green and almost electric feeling. i'm not detecting cedar in this at all, though that is probably my own fault as i wear Diptyque's Tam Dao on an almost daily basis. the cypress in this is gorgeous and the vetiver is in no way acrid or unpleasantly sharp. Kyoto allows me to enjoy vetiver without feeling exhausted by it. about 3 hours in the incense started coming through for me. it is a cool, vaguely earthy, floral-ish incense with something soap-like in the background. ever so slightly smoky though mostly dusty with occasional hints of powder (but not powder by western standards.) interesting.

i can absolutely see why this is popular, it is grounding and somewhat meditative. this particular blend of cypress stands miles above many other fragrances featuring it.

Kyoto is more of a skin scent; it feels very personal. projection and longevity do not seem to be strong points of this fragrance but i actually think that *works* somehow with Kyoto. it is meant to be an unusual, delicate, reflective, carefully timed experience.

Lana148
Lana148

Kyoto is very artistic creation, one of those rare fragrances that awakes an emotion and takes you places.

To me it brought very Zen, calm, safe, earthy feel. Kyoto is woody fragrance - wet forest, smoky burning sandalwood. An Asian temple filled with some smoky, incense aroma and a musty, exotic, woody interior smell, caused by high humidity of the tropics. Somehow all those associations give an illusion of serenity.

Beautiful!

lollero
lollero

This is a beautiful scent. The combination of incense, cypress and cedar is very nice and well made. The incense is not that overwhelming as it is in avignon and that is what makes it more wearable and safer. At the start it almost smelled like carots which was kind of funny. Can't decide yet if it's bottle worthy or not.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A martial, quintessential smoky/incense meditative scent, linear, grey and green, simple but comprising and bringing to life an entire heritage. Cedar and burning incense with a balsamic breeze, a splendid vibrant evocation of the Japanese traditional milieu, in a rarified, thin, oniric but palpable ambiance like in a Mizoguchi fairytale, with those "suspended", out-of-time foggy settings. Ambergris on the base and a green breeze, really light but palpable, with perhaps a tiny note of tea or some similar aroma, which gives a slight sweet-syrupy feel at the very microscopic heart of the scent, to kind of emulsify the blend. Really elegant and wearable, perhaps the most delicate and cozy among the line, and also the most "close to skin". Basically, coming back to Earth for a second, a bomb of Iso E and other aromachems, but Duchaufour manages to make you forget about it: it's superb and powerful - the proof that anything can turn into unforgettable gold in the right hands. Another beauty from a milestone series (and a milestone perfumer, which however I often do not like much, but I venerate his contributions to this line).

FaunAromatic
FaunAromatic

I haven't yet worn Kyoto around town or to work (sure, I'd wear this to work), but my impression of it after a few generous sprays from my new bottle is very favorable. There's a soapy note in the drydown that I like in this; I haven't encountered it much with incense scents. Not to say I'm obsessed with soapiness and demand it of all perfume genres, god forbid. I like some fresh scents but I'm certainly not obessed with them--my obsessions run more to the chypre/oriental genres. But I find the soapy effect in Kyoto interesting because it's surrounded by wafting incense; I like the contrast.

gd15329
gd15329

Meahh... a mass market thing... easy to go, not very strong can wear it easily but nothing special (unless that is what you want, then it’s perfect, more than perfect)

Marciu
Marciu

Kyoto for a moment reminds me of Encre Noire - because of the cypress note. But it's different in general.

It's a mild and smooth incense. Very calming and relaxing(like Quarzazate, but in a different way), cypress and coffee pop out for a moment and I could feel them.

Longevity is a little to little for me - around 6 hours on my skin.

Possibly will update soon.

amnalenajasmine
amnalenajasmine

Yesterday during a semi-formal hotel dinner, I fell in love: There was this heavenly woody fragrance wafting across the table, reminiscent of viking-age Norwegian churches and mountain forests. The source turned out to be a generous perfumista who sprayed my wrist with Kyoto while giving me an on the spot review of all the Incense fragrances from Comme des Garcons.

Kyoto is simply glorious. There is such harmony between the wood and the incense, giving an instantaneous feeling of calm and serenity. Consider it a mental first-aid kit in stressful situations!

Kain
Kain

The symphony of the nature, gathered as a few drops in the bottle and made this beautiful fragrance.
This fragrance is all about lots of resins and woods in a very smooth and so natural way.
At the opening I can smell a semi sweet resinous smell with some green notes and there are some woods and very transparent floral notes following them.
The scent is very comforting and remind me of outdoors.
After a while the scent gets a little smoky by incense and a little more woody, but still smooth and inoffensive.
It's linear so you will not feel that much changes.
Projection is average and longevity is around 6 hours on my skin.
A beautiful journey into the woods. don't miss that.

یه عطر با بوی بی نهایت طبیعی و خوشبو و آرامش بخش که شما رو به قلب یه جنگل بزرگ و قدیمی میبره. جایی که شما میتونین بوی چوب ها و درختان و برگ ها و صمغ درختان رو حس کنین و از این رایحه بی نظیر لذت ببرین
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی نیمه شیرین صمغی همراه با کمی رایحه های سبز و گیاهی و مقدار کمی رایحه چوبها و گلها شروع میشه
عطر در کل حس ملایمی داره و تند و تیز و تلخ نیست
اون بوی صمغی دقیقا حس همون آدامس های طبیعی دوران کودکی ما یعنی همون سقز رو داره و بوی طبیعی و کمی تلخ اش روح و روان آدمو جلا میده
با گذر زمان مقدار بسیار جزئی رایحه بخور به عطر اضافه میشه و یه ته بوی ضعیف دودی بهش میده و رایحه چوبها هم کمی قویتر میشن، ولی بازم در کل بوی عطر خیلی ملایم و بی آزاره
بوش خطیه و از اول تا آخر تغییر زیادی نمیکنه
چیزی که شما از اول تا آخر حس میکنین بوی نیمه شیرین صمغ با حس سقز هست که کمی رایحه چوبی و کمی رایحه دودی بخور و مقدار جزئی رایحه گلها اونو همراهی میکنن
پخش بوش متوسطه و ماندگاری در حد 6 ساعت روی پوست داره
اگه دنبال یه عطر با بوی طبیعی و آرامش بخش میگردین حتما تستش کنین

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

A lot of smoke and cypress. At times I caught a soapy smell coming from this. Other times I smelled too much Avignon-type incense. Pretty nice overall.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This is the one that I had been least looking forward to among the series. I'm not sure what it's missing that the others aren't, but it just doesn't speak to me. The first minute or so is a very bracing fresh wood aroma, but it fairly quickly starts to get older and mustier. For a while, I picture the ancient heavy wooden doors of a buddhist temple high in the mountains, but even that starts to decay into disrepair. After that, it becomes medicinal, like the wood is rotting into dirt rather than being smoky, and I think it's weaker than the others. (Strange, because I remembered it being fairly strong and acridly smoky!) It's not all that bad, but it's just so uninteresting after smelling CdG do the smoke/wood genre a hundred different ways, because I know how good they are at differentiating one from another. It is more organic than the others because of the living dirt/compost aspect, and it does this much less synthetically than other wet, decaying forest floor scents I know (He Wood and its flankers!). But finally by the end, a burning plastic vibe starts to appear, and that really puts the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. Thumbs down because the others set the bar so high.

This is a special fragrance! Opens with a mystical chime of fresh cedar and cypress...then Bam!!! It's spiced beautifully with incense and has a slightly earthy quality from the woods and vetiver.
This is great but you have to be brave to wear any incense scent and this is no exception.
I'm tempted to add this to my collection because it's so unlike anything I've smelled before (in a perfume anyway) it would be interesting to try the Tom Ford which is listed as being similar on here.

thatlaughinggirl
thatlaughinggirl

guest review below is mine, forgot to log in :)

This is the smell of Kyoto:

In a monastery hidden in the mountains of Japan, a lone monk burns incense at the altar. Outside the rain falls gently and softly, blotting out the world.

Kyoto is a beautiful scent, an aura rather than a perfume. In the opening, Kyoto is a handful of fragrant wood chips, light yet earthy. After the first half hour a breathtaking note emerges in harmony with the woods, a note like the most delicate whiff of pine. This gorgeous note adds a sense of altitude to the earthier opening; Kyoto is no longer a pilgrimage into the woods but a trek into the mysterious pine forest that clings to the mountain slope. By the dry down, the incense that has been but a shadow hitherto comes to the fore. The pine and woods have faded to make way for a rounded, smoky base that s slightly sweet.

Longevity: 5 hours

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

I searched for the subtle notes everyone else seemed to enjoy but this turned out to be Eau de Irish Spring on me: strong, synthetic deodorant soap. All soap, no incense. Planning my second trip to Kyoto after Christmas. This time I will take more notice of what it smells like and see if I can square the city with the fragrance.

hehehihi
hehehihi

Just listen Air - Alone in Kyoto and you'll know everything about this one.

Na0
Na0

All the series 3 Incense is awesome. But each one makes you do a different trip.

For this one, this is a relaxing, aerial one. Calm, peaceful, and beautiful. Soft woody base with a delicate incense touch. Less stronger than other like Zagorsk or Avignon, but not in a bad way.

This one was made for people who loves calm, intriguing and atmospherical fragrances, whereas Zagorsk and Avignon (I haven't try Ouarzazate and Jaisalmer) are more deeper, earthy and warm.

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Bought this recently. Agreed with previous reviewers. It is calm and a wonderful fragrance. There is a cleanliness, almost a somewhat medicinal quality a purity brought about by meditation. This is my first step into the world of incense fragrances. I love it. A beautiful fragrance and for me very calm and tranquil, like a tiny haven of peace, a cool forest, a temple, a waterfall or fountain - very therapeutic. Would certainly be interested to try Jaisalmer and some of the other fragrances in this range.

dboudresux8
dboudresux8

Kyoto is a fragrance that gives you a cooling sensation. It wears well for about 4-5 hours then disappears. The incense warms up a bit, but you never leave the cool sensation of the other notes behind. It is a wonderful scent to wear in hot weather. I love it!

SuperPookie
SuperPookie

This is a amazing perfume. At first it's straight cedar with a touch of incense but in less than a minute the smoke notes begin to be noticeable . They get progressively stronger without ever becoming overwhelming. After about five minutes there is a faint hint of flowers. Basically it is a scent story of starting a cedar wood campfire & as it burns the smoke gets stronger with the smells of nature surrounding you. Oddly the incense which you would think would be very strong in this only shows up on my skin as a faint background note.

ranchorita
ranchorita

I am a big fan of patchouli, amber, vetiver and incense. This is a beautiful fragrance, but it's not for me. Kyoto does emanate a nice incense quality of a nice intensity for a few hours, but the longevity was ultimately limited. Your mileage may vary. On the other hand, there was a nice subdued subtlety to this scent, and it may be better to underdo this smoky quality than to over-do-- one would hate to smell like a freshly smoked brisket. This one strikes me as more masculine than feminine, but would be mind-blowing on the right woman, I think.

SimplyOliver
SimplyOliver

Having travelled a lot in Asia, it's a familiar scent for me.

The notes will make you think that it's heavy to wear, well it actually isn't.
I get a light flowery incense with woody notes in the background, really nice.

The wonderful smell of buddhist temples, made wearable thanks to this fragrance.

Good stuff !

theotherandrew
theotherandrew

This is a beautiful unisex incense fragrance, with a light floral and slightly sweet edge so evocative of traditional Japanese incense. Possibly a little more feminine than some of the other Series 3: Incense range, but as a man who doesn't mind something a little edgier I love wearing this. A subtle coffee note and cedar add a little backbone and warmth. Perfect for warm weather, or when something a little lighter and fresher is called for without going down the traditional citrus road.

cezarmac
cezarmac

The perfume's world is amazing,fascinating,glorious and sometimes disappoint us,the latter is not included this one.Kyoto is one of most well blended ever.I had opportunity to try out every Series 3 fragrances as well my desire is to have all of them.If I acting by heart probably I will but my effort consists only "love" fragrances.Avingnon and Kyoto are my choice while the former make me feel like all my Sins has been forgive,Kyoto makes me feel like I ever never committed one.
In the air notes like incense,cypress and cedar are crispy and full of life ready to be burned,this time it kept "virgin" until the end but if you are looking for something more complex take your nose on skin then coffee/patchouli give us smoky sensation,something dark and spicy while surrounded by a little dose of amber,cedar lose its bitterness.
Kyoto is a must to try although I`m always looking for long lasting the 5-6 hours in this mood,is plenty enough to my own.

Hoxx
Hoxx

The whole Series 3 is, naturally, about incense. But, while it's pretty much clean, pure and straightforward incense in Avignon, in the rest of the series it's combined with well chosen notes to represent the religion or area, and to add a new dimension to the sacred resin.

Kyoto is a well-structured, meditative fragrance, which somehow gives me the feel of Japan even if I never actually went there. Its incense notes are here, sure, and they lead the composition. This juice is incensy, but not in-your-face like Avignon or Jaisalmer. I'd rather describe this scent as a woody one, with two delightfully mannered woody notes, of cedar and cypress, and some vetiver in the background, only to add to the complexity. It is also rather dry scent, maybe even the driest one I've tried, after Encre Noire - which has cypress and vetiver too, but it's really not alike Kyoto.

Kyoto is a fragrance you definitely need to try before you buy, but is much safer than, say, Avignon, which I adore but can be quite harsh on someone. Arguably, it's the safest Series 3 composition, along with Ouarzazate, but it blows the orange-lettered one in the secondary aspects, like longevity and projection. If you have no interest in finding an incense-heavy perfume, yet you don't mind if there's some, this thing is the best of the series. It's versatile and wearable pretty much anytime you want to. It evokes the spirit of the East, gives you peace and happiness. A definite must-try.

9.25/10

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A soapy incense opening with the smell of fresh clean cedar wood followed by the smell of cypress mixing in with the above. It is very smoky and balmy with a slight hint of coffee that I can pick up every so often though blink and you may miss it.

This smells very nice indeed and it actually does smell like a high quality incense stick you use for meditation. Longevity is about five to six hours on my skin and it does stay close to you. Thumbs up!

kleblanc863
kleblanc863

Nice quality incence going on here. It's just a bit on the linear side. CdG has woods/incense mastered.

Incense Kyoto was next on my list of fragrances to test after smelling and loving Incense Avignon and Incense Jaisalmer.

I really like this fragrance, however I must say that it is possibly the most masculine scent from this incense series. It's very woodsy, aromatic and surprisingly wet. To my nose, it's the scent of a smouldering fire, with the ashes dampened by the rain.

Realistic wood notes, (like the cedar, teak wood and cypress blend found in this fragrance), almost always smell better on a man's skin than my own. I feel somewhat out of place wearing Incense Kyoto, like a woman attempting to cross dress, but doing so unsuccessfully.

Although I can detect a slightly smoky incense accord, Incense Kyoto doesn't automatically make me think of burning incense sticks. It tends to be more focused on the wood notes. Both this fragrance and Wonderwood, also by the same house, seem to have a lot in common.

I know very little about Kyoto, or even Japan for that matter, so I cannot comment on whether or not this fragrance is a good representation of such an old and established Asian city. However I can tell you that this fragrance does smell good, and is made from quality ingredients.

Both the longevity and sillage were impressive, however I found myself less than pleased by the expensive price tag. Comme des Garcons has become quite an expensive brand in Australia. It works out to be much cheaper if you buy through Lucky Scent.

tourmali45
tourmali45

To my nose it smells like a a very faint and mellow version of Coriandre by Jean Couturier or Terre d'Hermes.
Pleasant but not original, alas.

young
young

I agree with teddito.
At the begining, it smells just like 'medicated patch' with quite strong alcohol.
About couple of hours later, I could find some cedar wood, green notes, and patchouli, yet still got medicated patch.

This is not exact 'incense' but worth to try.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

This is on the mellower side of several incense based fragrances I've tried recently, and it is one of the better ones. The incense is soft unlike some sharper versions that I've tried such as Montale Full Incense or James Heeley Cardinal. This helps it blend well without overpowering the other notes including cypress plus just a hint of coffee and other spices. Longevity is good (6 hrs max) but not great.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Peace, in a soothing form of fragrance.
Kyoto is incensed and subtle, can be versatile tone by means of soap that I feel, I think it's a mixture of cypress and cedar, i don´t get coffee or anything very woody, is a serene and balanced aroma.
I love, in the incense series is second, lost only to Avignon.

DaZeD
DaZeD

Very distinctive smell, reminds me a lot of a certain type of incense called "Chandan", wich is Indian, not Japanese, actually, if you smell the package of the incense it is pretty much identical, and i love it a lot!

Very unisex, very good, next on my to buy list for sure!

Edit: have it and love it, on my skin the sillage is pretty weak unfortunatly, the first hour it projects amazingly well, but after that it diminishes rather quickly, after 3 hours i need to bring my nose almost against my hand to smell it.On clothes and hair though it stays longer, but on my skin it fades way too quick. i wish it was stronger.

This scent is a full 10 for me, it's unique (as far as i know), and it makes me happy and calm.

This is insence the way i love it, floral, rich and mood enhancing, i'm totally in love with it.

almondbreakfast
almondbreakfast

I have all perfumes from the Incense line, and I must say that Kyoto is the most soothing one among all.

Jaisalmer being the mystical one, Avignon being the most captivating one, Zagorsk being the charismatic one, Ourzazate being the jarring one, while Kyoto is the calmest one.

It's a soapy wood plus incense fragrance. The sillage is close to skin but longevity is amazing. I think it embodies the true teaching of Buddhism, of which in general is close-to-the-heart and very least outspoken.

Kyoto doesn't necessarily have to remind somebody of Kyoto the city, but I must say it does encompasses the aura of Buddhism in a way that it's a clean, humble, earthy (down to earth), incense (spiritual) fragrance.

And most importantly, you can rest assured that the incense will burn all night long, safe and soundly, in the calmness of the night, reaching to the moon and beyond...

-Mr. Almond-

yohhco
yohhco

Oh no. this is absoultly not Kyoto or Buddhism or Shintoism at all.
Misleading title on the bottle...
Soapy ending reminds me a small unit bath of business hotel in Tokyo.

muffinman
muffinman

Opens piney, soapy and slightly fruity. I get lot of cedar wood. This scent is cedar done right. I also get lot of iso e super. If you like Terre d'Hermes, you'll probably like this scent too.

Comme des Garçons Incense Series 3 KYOTO is burnt wood incense perfume with a slightly less burnt drydown in which tea appears also to be present. The composition does not have an oily or resinous texture at all, unlike most of the oudh perfumes I've tried.

KYOTO seems to me sometimes like incense ashes liquified but also, in turns, crushed sticks of unburned incense. That's about it for the development trajectory, though, as this is a fairly simple affair. I do not detect any floral notes at all, just incense in one form or another—there can be no denying that, as advertised, incense is the focus of this creation!

Despite the lack of a significant oily base, KYOTO has good staying power and fairly big sillage. I would not call this perfume either masculine or feminine but rather omnisex—or perhaps even asexual. Definitely a better choice for the fall and winter months. I'm not sure how this would work in the heat.

darrshanjvoraa
darrshanjvoraa

frm

well here u hav to wait for the dry down, after 1 hr this fragrance is outstanding and longevity is good, but it stays i very close to skin ,

Simple and obvious. I get a kind of soapy incense, with some vetiver. It starts to give me a headache after a while, though it's not sharp. Rather, I find it "synthetic," for whatever reason. I'm not a fan of these kinds of fragrances, but once in a long while I'll sample one again, just to be sure I'm not missing anything. I can't compare it to others because I dislike them all and wear them so infrequently that I don't have enough memory to provide that kind of opinion. This one does feel softer than the others, though.

UPDATE: Far into the drydown, it seems to become more complex, and interesting, but there is that "metallic dust" quality that some may not like.

UPDATE #2: This began to smell similar to something else, and after a few minutes I realized what it is: Listen for Men by Herb Alpert. They are not identical; Kyoto is woodier no doubt, but if you are looking for the far drydown of Kyoto you should try Listen. The first few hours, though, aren't that similar.

Heverton
Heverton

This one starts out with a blast of incense followed by a cypress note giving a woodsy aspect to this fragrance.

In the drydown the burned wood aroma still present and so, the fragrance stays until the end. The coffee note which was the note that awakened my curiosity about this fragrance was not detectable on my skin, sadly.

calyx93
calyx93

This is really nice layered over MPG Santal Noble (sacrilege, I know - sorry MPG purists) It seems to add back or at least round-out what's missing from the recent reformulation of Santal Noble. The two are very synergistic with each other.

On it's own, it is quite a bit like Japanese incense in the general sense - you know, the pressed sticks without any bamboo. It's got a cozy, dry, subtle warmth that feels like a melange of dried woods - somewhat reminiscent of hinoki, cedar, cypress and sandalwood blended together with a touch of coffee. Dry in a very dry sauna sort of way - it gives off a bit of heat - and to me it's very calming.

As for smelling like Kyoto, I wouldn't know - I'm just a fan of most simple, daily Japanese incenses and this seems to sum it up well in a wearable sort of way.

silverblue
silverblue

Being a girl in far east who had traveled to Kyoto several times, this doesn't smell like Kyoto to me. It doesn't even conjure up the imagery of far east particularly. Obviously that is because there are so many ingredients which are not instinctively/directly link to Japan. Especially it has an oily, a bit sticky, plastic feel of woody undertone that smells rather peculiar to me. It doesn't bother me but it just cannot create any image or emotion that I desire from a fragrance to touch me. However, my younger sister who is a very incensy girl seems to like it a lot. But she loves Avignon much better which is completely her Holy Grail. As my favorite from the line is Jaisalmer. Both of them are so true to what they are intended to depict. If you are looking for a scent which depicts Kyoto both emotionally and intuitively better, I will definitely pick Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella as my personal recommendation. It is strong, cypressy, woody, and incensy, cold and aloof with delicate charm of earthy iris & ethereal lotus at the beginning but ends in deep, warm, meditative woody-incensy sumptuousness. I can smell the air and mountain of Kyoto from the bottle literally. Definitely worth of a try.

William Liang
William Liang

CdG Incense Kyoto has a very calming, soothing and relaxing effect for me. I smell mainly the aroma of cypress oil, the green of vetiver and the wood of cedar. I found similar cypress and vetiver notes in Encre Noire Lalique which is darker and stronger. Of the two, I like CdG Incense Kyoto more for the smoother woody incense aroma.

K1
K1

This collection of incense is impressive, minimal and seriously elaborate. Each of which are imaginative and bold.
Kyoto is a dark tranquil mystical woody deep incense far-eastern original fragrance like a walk in a woods lonely and there's no noise but your steps on dry pines leaves. I have nothing to say but sniff and enjoy. Hisss, it has everything in the smell, enjoy it! Absolute charm!

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

mm.. doesn't remind me of Kyoto or Japan particularly. I do get a dry sandalwood, but it seems covered over by a soapy floral which I find a bit "lady's boudoir"-ish. By using immortelle (not native to Japan, as far as I know), they may be trying to replicate the kind of smoky scent of Japanese camelia ("tsutsuji"). Anyway, not for me, this one, but a lady of my acquaintance likes it quite well. It's more of a fragrance than an incense, if I can make that distinction.

A minimalistic masterpiece. Kyoto brings to my mind of the unscented incense sticks used by the Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists (the Japanese most practiced Buddhism branch). An austere but gentle fragrance, quite, versatile and discreetly distinctive. A bone dry structure that's still very compelling with notes of incense, cedar and cypress oil. Another Duchafour's masterwork that's simple but superbly executed.

In my opinion minimalism needs solid skills to be seriously compelling and Mr. Duchafours is one of the few perfumers who's able to add the extra touch that really makes the difference. Highly recommended!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I agree somewhat with Doc Elly that this isn't like an incense, however it depends what your take on "incense" is. For me, incense brings to mind a subtle smoky element, which is missing in Kyoto. No it doesn't smell like my Japanese incense sticks either. It is the strongest of the CDG incense range, and very raw, sappy and woody, and not very sweet. That being said, it is still a beautiful fragrance and I would rather wear it than a zillion floral/fruity/greens etc. In my opinion it deserves an 8.5/10.

Each CDG incense is a remarkable journey, and it is worth trying all of them.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

To me, the first thing out of the sample vial is strong, freshly-ground nutmeg or mace, along with woody and green notes. At no point do I smell any coffee at all. I don’t smell much incense, either, or anything remotely resembling any of the Japanese incense that I have. As the mace goes away, the cedar and cypress leaves and woods appear.

I would like to be able to say that the overall impression is like walking down a sun-warmed forest path, and maybe it would be, but I just can’t get past the spicy smell, so the overall effect is more like a kitchen spice-drawer than anything out in nature. The actual scent is so incongruent with the listed notes and description that I have to wonder if my sample was mislabeled.

For the first hour there’s some sillage, but after that there’s only a subtle skin scent that remains linear. After 3-4 hours it’s mostly gone. It is, after all, an EdT, so lack of longevity is not too surprising. To me, Kyoto is a warm, sweet, spicy, woody scent, not an incense one.

This is the only CdG incense that doesn't go really sharp and woody on me. It' has the smell of the Japanese style powdered incenses, without actually smelling like Japanese incense. It's a nice incense scent, very true, but a bit pricey.

Miss Guerlain
Miss Guerlain

Love this? Please,be smart&buy "Incense" by Matthew Williamson instead - for a near fraction of this overpriced Kyoto. Matthew Williamsons smells niche & exklusive. Compare these two & save your money!!! Differences between the two? YES = The only difference is "Incense" by Matthew Williamson smells much more refined, niche, and expensive!

PS: Luca Turin, perfume-guru of "The Guide" likes "Incense" by Matthew Williamson too!!

teddito
teddito

I had much hope to like this/i love incense/, but unfortunately it smells like bug spray to me.There is something very sharp and artificial in the beginning which settles down afterwards, but still this "chemical" feeling stays on.

orlandowoolf
orlandowoolf

I`ve been sniffing Kyoto since yestersday, and unfortunately I can`t smell any incense in it. There`s even much more incense in Shiseido`s Zen. What I get is really beautiful cedar, fresh and refreshing, I can almost hear cedar resin drip onto some freshly cut wood. I can smell no coffe, which again is a pity, `cause I love coffe scent in frags. The patchouli blended with the woods is very... hmmm... elegant, very appealing. Patchouli can be earthy and I like it then, but not here. There`s a sweet note, which I can`t track. All in all, it`s a very interesting scent. On the one hand, very masculine, on the other one, very sensual in its own way. Yet, my husband doesn`t share my admiration. For him it`s just a smell of cheap cologne :-).

I get dry sandalwood, in the Japanese fashion. Nice, and my fav Comme/Garcons incense next to Zagorsk, but I still prefer the more resinous Etro Messe de Minuit as my go-to incense scent.

mal23
mal23

I am not a fan of incense fragrance but this one is not to bad even for me. It is not to harsh or sharp when it comes down to the top note and middle notes. Overall, 6/10 for a incense.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

My prefered of CdG encense series. More wearable than Avignon (reminding people catholic church too much) so I got few bad comments on Avigon but good ones for Kyoto. Anyway, with or without comments, I prefer Kyoto to wear it, but equally Avignon to smell it.
Now I tested it seceral times, I LOVE this scent! Maybe a buy some day.

edited: oct 03

yvashche
yvashche

The best of the incense series. I sampled all of them for a long time and settled on the woody balsamic Kyoto. Doesn't break the bank either.

guest_safa
guest_safa

straight up, i get amber, sharp black espresso, sandalwood... then this incense starts to weave through... it feels like it's wafting through my nostrils in tender wisps, i can almost see the smoke moving through the air and a slight breeze changing it's direction.

then the incense makes way, slowly you can see from behind it a wood box, my untrained nose says rose wood but it's probably teak as the notes say...

wow... all i can say... this is a masculine fragrance, but i felt it took me on a journey. i don't know how it would be to wear, but i really enjoy it with a bit of Sushi Imperiale by Bois 1920 lurking around... but im a girl...

Migotka
Migotka

I have bought it unsniffed and was really looking forward to it, but I was also a bit afraid about the outcome.
I already had perfumes with incense in it, Kyoto is probablky the most literal incense fragrance I have ever tried apart from John Galliano EDP. Except that JG is a scent of an old, cosy, wooden church where incence was burnt, reminding me of Christmas masses.
Kyoto is raw, sharp, dry. There is nothing cozy about it. I would not say it makes me think of religion or shinto shrine as such though, but more about wild forests with its moss and woody notes.
An interesting fragrance for both men and women.

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

HEY, guys i just put my order in for kyoto, i have read all your reviews adn i hope that all of it is true so if any of you read this then please feel free to share more, i now have to wait,also in my collection of colognes this is one i do not have is incense so if you have any more to share please i welcome it

wild_strawberry
wild_strawberry

My second favourite in Incense series. It's a peaceful, calming scent, I can smell cypress, woods and incense, but it's very delicate incense. Very good staying power.

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

Totally agree with flannelman's comment on Kyoto. To me Kyoto is a beautiful incense. The most wearable scent in the CdG's incense collection. When spray Kyoto, I have the feeling that I am overwhelmed warmly and peacefully with the calm, the deep, the smooth, just like when I'm standing in a pagoda in Japan.
To compare with C.Lacroix's Tumulte, Kyoto's smoother, lighter, deeper, less masculin, while Tumulte is dry, stronger and edger. However, they are really similar to eachother.
Onething that I complain about Kyoto: its longervity is not so good.
Anyway, Kyoto is really a signature incense scent. 8,5/10

flannelman
flannelman

I have been wanting to try Kyoto for a long time and was not disappointed when I finaly did. This is a pretty, elegant, very wearable incense and cedar fragrance with a delicate hint of fruitiness. It's soft, round and ethereal.

It is of course tempting to make a comparison with another incense and cedar fragrance: Christian Lacroix's Tumulte. They are undoubtedly in the same family, but there are important differences. Tumulte, for instance, is much, much dryer and has a definite harshness in the top notes. Kyoto on the other hand opens very smoothly and even with a hint of sweetness. There is also a difference on the skin: Kyoto seems to be warming it, while Tumulte does not. On the whole I would say that Tumulte is more rugged and masculine, Kyoto more elegant and peaceful.

If you like incense, try Kyoto. The olfactory trip it will take you on is well worth it...

mariotgomez

I would say this is my favorite CdG fragrance in my collection at this time. Every time I wear this scent, I feel like I have traveled to Japan visit the beautiful Buddhist Temples.
I can imagine my self meditating in front of a large Buddha statue while the beautiful incense is surrounding me. This scent brings me peace of mind and tranquility.

mariotgomez

Aeternitas, I agree with your description of this fragrance. It does remind me of a "cedar wood campire." This fragrance was added shortly after my first comment. I truely enjoy wearing this fragrance and it always puts me into a relaxed state of mind. CdG fragrances are a must to any collection. I plan on adding each of The Incense Series to my collection.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

I agree with mariotgomez, if you haven't tried the incense perfumes of CdG, you should :) They are truly amazing. I have tried this one, Kyoto, and Avignon. Kyoto was my favorite. I smell like I have been sitting around a cedar wood campfire and I love the smell of campfires and cedar. Of course, it smells distinctly of incense. It's amazing and I must have it!

mariotgomez

You have not experience the CdG series 3 Incense collection, you must! You will be surprised where each fragrance take you.

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garcons 4.37 out of 5 based on 430 ratings and 69 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Comme des Garcons Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garcons. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garcons represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.