Designers » C » « Groups

dislike

tuberose
smoky
Daphne Comme des Garcons for women Pictures

The first perfume by Daphne Guinness, named Daphe arrived on the market in autumn 2009. It was created in cooperation with perfumer Antoine Lie and in collaboration with the house of Comme des Garcons. This fragrance incorporates bitter orange, incense, saffron, Centifolia rose, Tunisian jasmine, tuberose, iris, patchouli, aoud, amber and vanilla. Available as 50ml edp.

Bitter Orange Incense Saffron Rose Jasmine Tuberose iris Patchouli Agarwood (Oud) Amber Vanilla

Rien Intense Incense
Gianni Versace

Daphne Fragrance Reviews

Giovanfed
Giovanfed

This should never have been discontinued!!!!!!!!!!

onaona
onaona

So THIS is where a tornado meets a volcano!

There's just so much going on here, too much some days. Daphne can make my head spin at times. The notes are fast paced, frenetic. I remember it was difficult to keep up enough to enjoy the experience on first wearing. It takes a little effort. You have to commit to the Daphne experience. It's worth it. It's not a soothing fragrance in the least, you will find no peace here. You might find the ride a little bumpy, with twist and unexpected turns. Daphne is not easy. You'll have to put the work in.

Notes I can detect as they twist by, tuberose first and foremost, oud, orange,definitely bitter, an intense incense, a pinch of my beloved patchouli and something with a little spice. There are beautiful floral notes, not specifically identifiable as rose or saffron or jasmine to my nose which presents throughout, it's a definite plus in the development. No vanilla, not a drop. There's the impression of amber as well. I wish the amber was more pronounced in Daphne, it might slow it down a bit for me.

Projection, friends and family do not comment, either way. They might be too afraid to give voice to an opinion. There's no way they've missed it.

Longevity, I'm always too exhausted by the end of the experience to notice :)

I like Daphne, as I do most tuberose centric offerings, but I'm not always prepared to weather her storm.

c8ven
c8ven

A more luminous, modern take on classics such as Versace's Gianni Versace.

Yes - Daphne has a definite glamorous 70s attitude but it doesn't smell dated. There's a lot of smokey incense in Daphne, white florals (a definite hit of bubblegum-esque tuberose in the opening) and delicious sweetness from the vanilla. What a great Winter fragrance!

It's also a 'beast' so one spray will take you through the day or night.

Hot tramp, I love you so.

polly golightly
polly golightly

raffinata interpretazione della tuberosa, distante anni luce dalla freschezza di carnal flower, qui il fiore è astratto ed accompagnato da sentori classici che conferiscono all'insieme un allure di altri tempi. insomma sembra un profumo vintage, ma non lo è. come ogni buona fragranza da signora la piramide olfattiva è complessa, fatta di zafferano, ambra, patchouli, vaniglia, ma, soprattutto, incenso ed arancia. le note predominanti sono appunto la risultante di una tuberosa fumosa e dolce di arancia. l'effetto complessivo è simile ad altri classici, chanel n. 5, fracas, arpege, ma qui è più morbido e quasi vellutato. molto buono, più adatto al freddo.

smellagent
smellagent

hmmm this one is interesting and not really what I expected from Cdg. I get a vintage vibe here. The notes that dominate for me are 1. incense 2 jasmine 3. tuberose. everything else is in the pot jumbled. I just have a sample so the jury is still out. It is pretty though and powdery.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

Oh Daphne, you are a beauty! What a wrist sniffer. The notes are spot on. It's long lasting and the silage is wonderful. I've been looking for a fragrance like this for ages. Thank you MoreScentsThanDollars! It's sweet but without the fairy floss note that abounds in many perfumes these days. I seem to detect some smoky myrrh in the background of the dry down. To me it has a vintage vibe. It's original and very appealing.

MoreScentsThanDollars
MoreScentsThanDollars

Not hugely common, to me, Daphne is a Alpha, A leader, Special, Posh, Strong and Wonderful.
I Passed her on to a women far more worthy than I, Some one who Daphne will embrace.
Now Daphne is gone, Ill admit, I love her. She is like a Queen, A solid gold statue that holds all the answers, She is Majestic. Go free to rule Daphne, Until we meet again. xox

spidola
spidola

Stunning!!!
DAPHNE is balsamic tuberose - smooth and caressing.... It's velvety, without edges. The feeling it gives me reminds of Bal a Versailles... It's not fresh, nor green, not at all like Carnal Flower (that I love too)...it's opposite of La Chasse aux Papillons (that I don't like)...and it lacks the soapiness and the lady-like feeling of Fracas (my love again)...but Daphne - it is the most sensual tuberose !!!

archivist
archivist

This is a very, very strong tuberose perfume. The only perfume with a louder tuberose that I've smelled myself is Do Son. The incense is really nice, the oud and patchouli give a sticky minty quality to the overall composition, but you really must adore tuberose for this one.

nothernlights
nothernlights

When I want to be more woman, sweet and tuberosa kind of lady, I choose Daphne.
It's quite much tuberosa in the end. I love most the beginning and the first hour on my skin. I'm studing the way tuberosa expresses and turns into on my skin, it's facinating.
It's modern but ladylike.
It's retro but not. It's not something reinvented.
It's for young and for adult (wo)men. For the daytime and nights.
Daphne is enough in small portions, more friendly. But I use it a lot in my private life.

Hoxx
Hoxx

Knowing some of Antoine Lie's work for ELDO, I kind of knew what to expect, and Daphne delivered for sure. It opens with a citrus aroma giving way to a tuberose-saffron combo which is overpowering at first - I felt like a nuclear bomb wearing this one after I sprayed two spritzes of it. This loudness stayed for an hour or two, and later a touch of oud and incense calmed it down(no matter how weird it may sound).

Now, there is a heart of tuberose, spice, oud and incense - a conglomerate of pretty risky and polarizing notes. However, they all seem well orchestrated to work in conjunction, while never feeling like too much of anything. The base adds some patchouli and maybe some other stuff, while putting spices aside - it is still complicated, but also well-composed, just like heart. In my opinion, that speaks of perfumer's mastery more than anything.

As I said earlier, its sillage is ridiculous at first, but it weakens a bit with time. Its longevity is amazing on my skin with an easy 10 hours period. I can't say I agree with 'for women' label, at least not completely - I feel like it's equally wearable for both genders, BUT only for those who love challenging compositions - this one is everything but safe, no matter if on a woman or on a man.

This is not your typical CdG, it feels more like an ELDO, but surely is in line with its very best creations. This is an incredibly balanced composition, especially considering its notes, and a true niche at that. Not exactly my type of perfume, but I can't and I won't deny its quality.

9.5/10

kvan
kvan

I'm finally ready to review this, after many many wearings, I finally feel like I "get" this. I received my generous decant of this from a helpful member.
The notes here are listed modern-style, no pyramid, but this perfume has three distinct stages on me.
Other members have done very well defining the stages, so I won't rehash, except to say that the tuberose is indeed coconutty, the bitter orange isn't sour or juicy...it's just the bitter/fragrant orange rind, the saffron is awesome, and the dry-down is aftershavey, and lovely.
I get the image of the person wearing this perfume every time I put it on now. I feel like I have gotten to know him. Yes, to me he's a man. A perfectly elegant, soft-spoken older gentleman of means and influence; integral to the community, social, and cultural fabric of his tropical island city. He smells fantastic!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Where to start with you dear Daphne? A month ago I didn't even know who you were. Then a dear fellow Fragrantican suggested we should be introduced. So I Googled you, read your profile, was hesitant to meet because of your unconventional style and that badger-like black and white 'do that you wear; not to mention what others here on this page had to say about you. I was so sure we wouldn't click, yet I was strangely intrigued.

And today, I let you touch my skin for the first time. A firm slap actually is what you imposed. With sweet incense, bitterness, and compelling tuberose, all at once agressive, yet somehow, never contradicting your sensual spirit. Grounded with wet spicy patchouli and ambery woods, you are a fascinatingly bright, yet deeply resinous story that is not afraid to be told--a complex open book--with a voice that eventually soothes the soul as the story unfolds.

And somehow you seem familiar. Prada Intense, your little sister comes to visit me now and then and I enjoy her company immensely. She even has her own comfy chair in my living room. Perhaps this is why I feel so at-ease with you, both with dark orange, rich incense/resins, sweet florals, patchouli, smooth woods and vanilla spice.

In any event, Daphne, you're a keeper. I admire and appreciate your independence and integrity. I hope you'll stop by often because I'm looking forward to getting better acquainted with you, and especially even more so that your (now discontinued) little sister Prada Intense is going to move away for good one day.

Cochlea
Cochlea

This is super glamorous! I adore tuberose scents theres a crazy-fiery beauty in them. They always make me feel so good.

Incense and tuberose is an intoxicating combination of notes here The first spray was lots and lots of orange. (I think that Daphne is truly unique, because although this is a dark fragrance, the orange undulates throughout this fragrance.)
Tuberose, after a little time, and then the incense came through. The tuberose is indolic, still lovely, still going strong, along side with the incense, I do not sense oud here. There is a smooth combination of amber, vanilla here. To my nose the rose, oud and patchouli is truly well blended here because I do not sense it on my skin.

The longevity is good but I think the sillage was 5 hours and then became very soft. If you like Poison, Fracas, you should try to hunt down a sample of this. If you do not like Tuberose (it is heavenly here), stay away from this, as for me, I desperately need a bottle of this.

gabri11e
gabri11e

This is very sweet on me. I'm getting a hint of the patchouli and tuberose notes. I'd love to try this again in winter, as I'm finding it very intriguing and multilayered, but right now its just a little too sweet for me.

However, this is such a unique scent! The other reviews that say to wait for it to settle down are right, and it's contiuned to change on my skin.

A little goes a loooong way!

alexborderie
alexborderie

I love and live for Daphne Guinness so when I first saw she had a fragrance I got way too excited. I ran to Barney's and tried it and as I smelled it, the Fleetwood Mac song Rhiannon started to play, and it became an experience. Kinda like meeting the love/a love of your life.

This scent is my fav to wear to music festivals especially when I'm in an artistic mood. It has a 70's feel to it. Like going to see Grace Jones at Pink Floyd performance whilst doing lines of coke, this fragrance brings me to a historical and artistic place. This gives off an incense smell which implodes into a world of music and summer fests.

pansylady
pansylady

Although I'm not a fan of big spicy scents, I find this one very intriguing- I think the incense note is holding my interest- plus the waxy crayon accord-and I get a very strange tarry, wet cement smell that puzzles me- I wonder if the oud or the saffron may be creating this impression?

and there's something volatile, almost like motor oil.

And now, 7 hours after application, it smells like after shave!

Daphne, I'm not sure that I like you, but you definitely got my attention...

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

This is how I expected Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse Animale to smell but it was more puddy cat than prowling big cat. The saffron gives off a strong, bitter, leathery accord in Daphne and holds its own against the usually overpowering tuberose. These two ingredients and an incense note, appear instantly on spraying and last throughout the lifetime of the scent, which at 6 hours of wear is still going strong on me. I can smell the patchouli and oud but they are not major players in this. Neither are the rose or jasmine. I do pick up a bittersweet note which I assume is the bitter orange, like how marmalade tastes. I adore tuberose but this is a tuberose unlike Fracas or Carnal Flower. It's the antithesis of Chasse aux Papillions. If Chasse aux Papillions was Snow White, Daphne is Snow White with tattoos (tasteful ones anyway)who doesn't wait for Prince Charming to break the spell, she does it herself. This scent suits the quirky, ever so eccentric Daphne Guinness to a T. Sillage is good and as I mentioned earlier, so is the longevity. I will warn that this scent will only endear itself to those who enjoy scents off the beaten path. This is not a girly girl scent even if it's labelled for women and would wear comfortably for a male.

A big blast of the 80's up my nose! Bold, heavy, sweet, sugarsweet and syrupsweet. 1 small spritz goes a looong way and it will almost knock down passing people. Not for me.

Ett rejält brak av 80-tal rätt upp i näsan! Kaxig, vågad, söt, sötsliskig och sirapssliskig. 1 liten sprejning räcker lääänge och kommer nästan att knocka förbipasserande. Inget för mig.

Allinug
Allinug

Just got the bottle. Sitting in a wonderful cloud of Daphne.Tuberose is not one of my favourite notes but in Daphne it is WoW. It is something old fashioned over Daphne but in a wonderful and good way, love it. I tried a sample a few days ago and I know there is more to come with a beautiful and changing drydown.

Update
This is a strong perfume in the beginning and on me one spray is enough. Even with one spray it lasts many hours and I can feel the wonderful whiffs of it.
This will be a special occasion perfume for me.

Oh another thing...reminding of Shalimar, no way. Doesn't smell the same at all, I have both.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Daphne has a kind of retro feeling interestingly updated by the inclusion of oud in the base notes. It is all about tuberose and incense but while at the beginning the bitter orange note creates a very nice and special medicinal effect, the middle development of the scent becomes more spicy and introduces the rest of flowers with the vintage effect ( I feel the iris+ rose powdery soft explosion) and as the result of their combination with the woody notes which predominate in my skin over amber and vanilla, there to keep it warm. The final stage is a warm dark incensed but paradoxically still bright orange woody tuberose which stays close to skin in a marvelous spicy way.

Sillage is very good during the first hour, later as I mentioned becomes almost a skin scent. Unfortunately it isn't very long lasting on me but good and interesting enough to deserve its position in my wardrobe. Ordered, now waiting for it.

Not a daily scent, an evening and night out one I'll say.

If you are tuberose hunter this is a must try. Please do so on your skin. This one definitely needs to be warmed up by body to enjoy all its stages.

garamascara
garamascara

This is good, it's everything described below, but I am also getting a little bit of bubblegum. Reminds me of Sacrebleu and Encens et Bubblegum.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Daphne is incredible. This is VERY potent juice. I love the combination of bold white florals, dark incense, and creamy tuberose. It almost smells coconutty. It doesn't smell like any of those big 80's & 90's perfumes, but I loved that era for producing what I consider to be the last real perfumes--Boucheron, Red Door, White Diamonds, Poison, JPG Classique, the original Dolce & Gabbana...exquisite and very complex beauties! Daphne is similarly sumptuous. If you are tired of the fresh-fruity-floral stuff that dominates the market, Daphne is well worth sampling. It sort of reminds me just a little bit of the creaminess and depth of L de Lolita with lots of tuberose and a touch of oud. It's gorgeous.

meama
meama

184) Comme des filles
Avez-vous déjà regardé les spots publicitaires pour les parfums Comme des garçons? Des petites oeuvres d'art vidéo qui ont le don de mettre en image tout l'expérience chimico-olfactive que votre nez va éprouver au contact de cette création. Pour ce parfum les éléments flottent dans un monde liquide onirique et les visions s'enchainent comme dans le délire narcotique d'un poète opiomane.
Daphné Guiness est un parfum de Antoine Lie autour de la tubéreuse mais comme toujours avec CdG c'est une vision décalée de cette fleur des quartiers rouges. Putain elle le reste heureusement, le décoleté en ouverture avec des notes camphrées (mais moins intense que chez Lutens) et surtout un corps moulé dans un corset digne de l'art du bondage japonais. C'est de l'encens (signature de CdG) lascif qui s'enfonce dans le corps charnu de la fleur et en fait ressortir les traits les plus doux.
Plus on descend plus les odeurs musquées et vanillées se dévoilent. Pris entre ses jambes vous êtes la victime paralysée par les pinces d'une mante religieuse. Qui mange qui?
Ce coté mauvais gout et vulgaire maitrisé me rappel indéniablement certaines créations d'Etat Libre d'Orange.
Si par hasard l'explication n'est pas claire je dois vous dire que ce n'est pas un parfum pour les réunions de famille avec votre belle mère. Par contre il fera travailler votre imagination pour beaucoup d'autre occasions.

Have you ever watched the advertising spots for Comme des Garçons perfumes? These works of art video have the gift to put into images all the chemical olfactive experience that your nose will live by touching this little wonder. For this one, elements float in a liquid dream world and visions keep coming in as a narcotic addict poet delirium.
Daphne Guinness is a perfume of Antoine Lie about tuberose but as always with CdG it's an offset vision of the red districts flower. Prostitute it remains fortunately, the décolleté in opening with camphory notes (but less intense than Lutens). Above a body molded in a corset who is worthy of the art of Japanese bondage. This is the incense (signature of CdG) who lasciviously sinking into the fleshy flower and highlights the softer features.
Further down more musky odor reveal themselves. Caught between the legs you are the paralyzed victim of a praying mantis. Who eats who?
This side of bad taste and mastered vulgarity reminds me undeniably some Etat Libre d'Orange creations .
If the explanation is not clear I must tell you that this is not a fragrance for family gatherings with your stepmother. By cons it will work your imagination for many other occasions.

hautegaunt
hautegaunt

elegant as the woman - Im going to say "mature" on this one. beautiful.

Bitter orange, flowers, a touch of incense. The base is soft while not actually smelling like vanilla. It's very lovely, well blended and overall quite pleasant.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

When I initially tried this perfume in the small 1ml dabber samples, I got a ton of tuberose right up front. I very much enjoyed it and ended up purchasing a bottle.

This is a perfume you have to give time to dry down, nor can you over-spray. You will regret it if you over-spray trust me.

Initial spray (even on me) doesn't smell so hot nor was it like the samples, I thought I had the wrong perfume!

Initial saffron/wood/oud
Then Floral/orange/wood/incense/oud
Then Amber/Patchouli/wood/incense/oud

You smell so much stuff in this perfume that it can be overload, but for me, the ride was so much fun and I enjoyed all of it. I'm sure when I wear it again (this evening) it will probably smell totally different!

Lasting power is very long, I can still smell the spot I sprayed yesterday afternoon, and, single spray you can smell at arms length. No need to apply too much.

What I didn't get was powder. I got small amounts in the sample, but none when I sprayed directly from the bottle.

Now, take this part for whatever its worth but, as much as some don't want to say it, this is really a celebrity scent. Definitely more higher end that was you would normally see, and this is a celebrity perfume worth buying. This isn't your usual fruity floral celeb perfume. This is one made to appeal to a perfume connoisseur really.

However, you're getting a scent that will last a long time, morph into all types of configurations (its never boring thats for sure!) and strong enough were you really don't have to use much..should last ages.

This is the type of celebrity scent I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

aschiffm
aschiffm

This is very woody but bright. It's also heavy on the floral. I smell incense, tuberose and that bitter orange everyone is mentioning the most. I always prefer tuberose in warm weather and this is no exception. I also get some Spiciness from the saffron and the mysterious deepness from the oud. Dry down rids of most of the wood and trades it for creamy honeyed sweet vanilla and tuberose, this stage is a very comforting scent. But its all kind of elusive so I'm not sure how often I would be running to this scent since its not that distinctive or harmonious to me.

thaocrockett
thaocrockett

It's a tuberose centric perfume with strong tuberose and some insence at the openning. When it dries down, amber and vanilla come and sweeten and soften the tuberose.
Whoever loves tuberose and ask for a sillage monster, this is definitely the one.
After 3 hours, it becomes vanilla and tuberose dominant and still loud.
It's a nice scent and quite smooth, but I am a fan of neither tuberose nor vanilla.
To tuberose and vanilla fans, this is a must try scent.

jtd
jtd

Daphne Guinness is probably 1 ingredient away from being a total soup, but as it stands, it’s about as full a perfume as you can make. Citrus/resinous, hugely floral, incense/oud. And that’s just the starting place.

It seems to start as a sort of oud floriental with an enormous bitter, resinous orange note and saffron and I’d swear some bay or some other green culinary herb. From there it kaleidoscopes through densly floral combinations as well as classic amber, vanilla, patchouli accords. This is not so much a perfume with a classic three-tiered progression as one built of mostly basenotes. In this sense, it’s probably categorically closest to an oriental. Although they have different tones, the elements all seem to share roughly the same density. From the topnotes through the heartnotes they just bounce off each other and you’re constantly smelling some new accord take flight.

By the drydown, DG feels like an incense chypre, with a three-part patchouli/oud/labdanum combo in lieu of a classic moss/labdanum base. Oud is the overused, overstated perfume element of the last few years and due to its potent nature, it is usually at the heart of an accord. But using a moderate dose of oud along with patchouli and labdanum to resemble a chypre base seems like one of the more inventive uses of the material.

Moyra
Moyra

This is really lovely, really classic, really refined and very beautiful.

I had a major hankering after it when I first got my sample in mid-spring, but my skin in the torrid heat of midsummer has gobbled every sweet note, every fruit and every flower, and left a sharp, uncomfortable but amazingly persistent incense/patchouli desert, dry as a bone.

I'll come back to it in the winter, since I remember such a madly glorious scent from the first time we met - perhaps this too, is a seasonal lovely.

Highly recommended to those who eschew the sweeter perfumes, or who, like myself, love incense and any intimation of the big, bold classics of yore.

nekoni koban
nekoni koban

I'm a man, but I think I would really admire a woman who wore this. It is retro, but at the same time not old-fashioned. It seems to majestically scorn all the modern trends in fragrances for the past 35 years; it is almost an homage to the French houses of the early 1970s. Floral without a trace of soapiness or the lady's boudoir. I can imagine someone like Christine Legarde (french finance minister) wearing this.

Kchild
Kchild

This is glorious! I mean really truly glorious. This is to me a unique and haunting creation. It brings together notes that don't always work for me and makes them sing.

I would also call this a shape shifter. Daphne starts out w/tuberose and oud on me. Somehow, someway these two comingle to make the perfect compliment. They don't stay in the forefront for too long before things start to change. Maybe...15 min.? Then all of a sudden~shift. Then different shape and shift. These notes dance together and truly bring out both the floral and woods, incense and amber,then wait......oh~ there's vanille. None of this is jarring but oh so smooth and fabulous.

Daphne's a wild ride. I'm gonna buy a ticket and buckle up.....mmmmmmmmmm