Designers » C » Oriental « Groups

Emeraude Coty for women

Emeraude Coty for women
dislike

Emeraude Coty for women Pictures

Emeraude by Coty is a Oriental fragrance for women. Emeraude was launched in 1921. The nose behind this fragrance is Francois Coty. Top notes are orange, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and brazilian rosewood; base notes are amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin and vanilla.

Orange Bergamot Lemon

Chanel No 5 Eau de Parfum

Emeraude Fragrance Reviews

christianne1
christianne1

I bought a vintage bottle of Parfum de toilette, decades old, and the stuff still smells fresh and is just gorgeous! I hated this growing up but something told me I would love it now so I went looking for it. It's just beautiful and I can't stop sniffing. Elegant and sexy all at the same time. I am so glad I decided to stroll down memory lane because this is an absolute love. Wow, the drug store stuff was really good back in the day, wasn't it??

lesecretforme
lesecretforme

I get zero shalimar similarities. My bottle is the one pictured. Its green and powdery slight vanilla and a little earthy. I love it.

lucia.lawson
lucia.lawson

Among my jewels is this Emerald. It's not exactly the same fragrance I remember wearing the first time around. I wore this back in the 1950's and 1960's. It was always an Oriental fragrance for women and only until now when so many people have worn it as well as Shalimar is there even a debate as to how similar or how unlike Shalimar it is. I wear both Shalimar and Emeraude and love both perfumes. I even layer one atop the other for more projection. When I was a younger woman this smelled like an emerald green satin gown to me or even a nightgown. It was sexy, seductive, floral, and very womanly. I would spray it in the air and walk into it after a shower in my boudoir. This always smelled like little shiny emeralds suspended in the air sparkling and fragrant. The color of the packaging matches up with the scent. It does smell very green but not herbal. It has a strong lemon and orange scent, so if you're partial to citrus based perfumes you should enjoy this fragrance. The citrus note opening is remarkably similar to Shalimar but once that orange makes its exit, Emeraude begins to smell very floral, much more so than Shalimar which can hardly be called a floral. Emeraude combines the fragrance of pink roses and white jasmines and ylang ylang very beautifully. The flowers are in harmony and give off a sweet smell. Then it turns into a little bit of an incense with benzoin and vanilla dry down. I've worn it time and again in various editions: cologne splash bottle and cologne spray bottles. The newest edition is watered down and smells like a floral aquatic perfume to me. It doesn't seem like they took the time to give it that beautiful development it used to have. Shalimar is still competing with Emeraude but if you want to experience one of the most beautiful Orientals of all time you need to buy the old vintage Coty splash bottles or the 1980s 1990s cologne sprays. This smells like a beautiful emerald treasure room where a princess walks in, picks up an emerald and wears it as a brooch on her satin dress.

lorililly
lorililly

I read the reviews on here and they inspired me. I am a lover of what my 20 year old daughter calls "old lady perfumes" and I call "vintage". I love the complexity and elegance of them. So being a lover of TABU,Obsession, White Diamonds, Jovan Musk Oil, Vanilla Fields, etc.-I decided to try this gem. One which I have never owned. Went to KMart, found a bottle with a "$4off" coupon from Coty. Tiny spray and WOW. Fairly intense at first but it fades into a soft,rich,complex aura. It mixed beautifully on my skin. I'm assuming mine is a newer formulation, it looks similar to the one pictured here. I would love to try the original!

PinkRainbow
PinkRainbow

A classic. My dance instructor used to wear this, and it will always remind me of her. Lady-like with a strong note of lime (which is probably the bergamot element). Pretty and unique. Some similarity to Shalimar-- but much more affordable.

Nippi
Nippi

Emeraude is shiek, sophisticated, masculine, and mature. A classic scent, and something you would definitely smell in a night club in the 1920s. I love the citrusy/lemon opening, and the dry down is all about woods, amber and reisin. I think that the fact that Guerlain's famous "Shalimar" came 4 years after this shows just how good Francois Coty was at his craft. It makes me sad that a great majority of Coty's original fragrances have been discontinued, and it almost seems that there are no great "drugstore" fragrances left. I hope Coty keeps this out and puts back out a couple of their other famous fragrances (i.e. L'Aimant, Paris, Chypre) and in eau de parfum concentration, because I would buy! A classic Coty fragrance always promises to smell high end at a drugstore price.

jtd

Post-modern choreographer David Gordon gave a lecture at my university in the early 1980s. His advice to young choreographers was to steal. Steal anything, steal often. Acknowledge the source material or don’t. Take what you steal and do whatever you care to with it. His point was that there is no such thing as a new idea, and if there were, so what? Citation of sources, intellectual property rights and plagiarism are irrelevant—-ideas are shared. Granted, Gordon was a founding member of the Judson Dance Theater, whose dissection of traditional forms had a strong element of sabotage to it. Still, the notion is interesting.

So, did Jacques Guerlain steal from François Coty’s Emeraude when he created Shalimar?

Emeraude preceded Shalimar by 4 years. There are strong similarities in their olfactory profiles. Bergamot topnotes and floral heartnotes enveloped in vanillic-amber bases would come to define the historical “oriental” genre. Sweet, resinous, nearly-gourmand qualities made both perfumes rich and heady but the musky, powdery base kept them from becoming desserts. Due to the preponderance of durable, resinous materials (benzoin, labdanum, vanilla, tonka, oppopanax, sandalwood) the perfumes of this era and genre have a long arc that plays out over hours and days. I think of these perfumes as speaking with a drawl.

If these two perfumes were competitors over the years, Shalimar is the clear winner. It has been kept in excellent trim by Guerlain and is a mainstay of the brand. Guerlain have quoted (and flanked) Shalimar many times over the years, but the references have been thoughtful, if not always well-received (see: Shalimar Parfum Initial). Emeraude, poor dear, left the building sometime during the Coty brand’s slow fall from grace after the company was bought by Pfizer in1963. Emeraude, along with l’Origan, l’Aimant, la Rose Jacqueminot and the other seminal early perfumes composed by Fançois Coty were notoriously gutted by cheap reformulation. They became the ‘old and in the way’ models you had to pick past to get to Coty Wild Musk, Stetson and Aspen at the local drug store.

I’ve smelled a few vintage versions and concentrations of Emeraude over the years and while there are differences, they are largely the same perfume. I’m currently sniffing a bottle of the Eau de Toilette Concentrée from the ‘60s. The materials that define the ‘oriental’ genre have distinctive, recognizable scent profiles. Bergamot’s tartness counterbalances a warm, ambery vanilla base, creating a particular dynamic. The unfolding of the topnotes into the heart is quite similar in both but over time the perfumes diverge. Shalimar becomes both sweeter and more animalic. Emeraude veers away from its initial sweetness and leans into the rubbery aspect of amber materials to provide a more leathery drydown The nitro musks that were in use at the time gave amber perfumes a strolling pace. They added endurance to perfumes, but more importantly they added depth and dimensionality. They kept olfactory tones distinct and allowed perfumes made from hundreds of materials to resist becoming porridge. Emeraude smells tart, powdery and leathery at the same time. Smoothness is balanced by angularity, making the perfume interesting from top to bottom.

So who robbed whom? I understand linking Shalimar to the Coty perfume, not only for their olfactory similarities, but for the cliché orientalism that both brands perpetuated. (* Again, Shalimar wins.) Shalimar is better understood as a riff on Guerlain’s benchmark citrus-over-coumarin/musk perfume from 1889, Jicky. Jacques Guerlain simply stole from his younger self. Shalimar has unmistakable similarities to Emeraude, which came first, but it’s likely that Emeraude cribbed from perfumes that preceded it.

The abundance of fairly similar oriental perfumes doesn’t point to mass larceny. It’s a valuable demonstration of how olfactory vocabularies develop and are shared. And even if it were stealing, David Gordon says it’s OK.

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

This is a powdery, praline kinda scent. powdery, creamy, praline, vanillic, sandalwoody green scent. By praline I mean it;s got a foody cookie like scent in it, like pralines, which I think are nuts or a cookie bread.
It's pretty good, but a green fresher yet resiny scent compared to a more oriental sexy resiny scent like Tabu.
I like it, it is more sober, but yet powdery, but not in the sexy genre like Tabu is. I definately like Tabu better, but this is still good for the genre.
I think this is more daily wear than Tabu. Both are in the same "old school" early century powdery genre, which I actually love. Super rich super powder stuff.
I find this rougher than Shalimar. I love Shalimar, and Shalimar is also in the old school early century genre.

zyby
zyby

EMERAUDE is a warm, green, feminine and very powdery floral that to me feels simultaneously vintage and modern. The bottle I have is about 15 years old – relatively new for a fragrance that’s been around since 1921.

There are some echoes of SHALIMAR here, but EMERAUDE has its own personality. I find it to be much softer and less aromatic than SHALIMAR, which in some ways makes it more versatile. It’s also very affordable, so I don’t feel the need to save it for special occasions.

I like EMERAUDE best for spring and fall, although sometimes I’ll wear it during the winter as well. On me, hot weather blurs the subtleties and I just smell powder. Sillage is moderate. Longevity is good on moisturized skin and it lingers very well on clothing.

Parfumee
Parfumee

EMERAUDE

COTY

GROUP: ORIENTAL

NOTES: orange, bergamot lemon jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose brazilian rosewood; amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin vanilla

SILLAGE MODERATE RADIATES WTHIN ARMS LENGTH

LONGEVITY VERY LONG LASTING 7 TO 12 HOURS

REMINDS ME OF SHALIMAR GUERLAIN

1921 was the Year of Eternal Fragrances. Chanel No. 5 was launched, with those first aldehydes, and the Oriental craze had begun with fragrances like Mitsouko by Guerlain Maja by Myrurgia and Molinard's Habanita. Emeraude is really not the first Oriental as there were fragrances that had an Oriental flair before it's release, frags like L'Origan by Coty. Emeraude is however the first commercially successful Oriental. And like every one else has pointed out Guerlain's Shalimar is it's dupe. Shalimar smells a lot like Emeraude but to the discerning nose it has some slight differences. I'm not going to go into which fragrance is better. I love both Emeraude and Shalimar equally and wear them both. In fact I layer them one atop the other since it's the same smell lol Emeraude means Emerald in French and the liquid is green. The idea was that you're wearing a shimmering green emerald from a sultan's crown or the headdress of an Indian prince. It sold to women but it has a masculine men's cologne quality as well. It opens with a lot of citrus. I can smell lemon, lots of lemon. The same lemon and citrus notes found in Shalimar. Fresh and cool at that first spritz. Emeraude becomes more flowery as it develops. There are jasmine petals sprinkled over bath water and roses, soft rose petals. The scent reminds me of older women who enjoy classic jasmine and rose perfumes and yes it does tend to smell a bit old lady ish but I still love the smell. Its base is what most makes this fragrance a masterpiece. It has sandalwood, patchouli and opoponax. These 3 accords are powerful and resinous, spicy, and very Oriental. The patchouli gives it a sillage and trail as you walk about. There is an incense too, fragrant incense wafting out of your skin and into the air. Then I smell the sandalwood which give it a luxurious woodsy feel. This was a beautiful Oriental that was very beloved in it's day. Women enjoyed the spices, the resins and the jasmine. The reformulation has some vanilla and leather but it's not very strong. It can still smell similar to the original classic. Shalimar ended up being more popular and more famous but it's like when you hear a great song and the cover song sung by some other artist is far more popular. An example would be Whitney Houston singing I Will Always Love You when it was originally sung as a country song by Dolly Parton. Emeraude has a green balsamic brilliant beauty that I enjoy very much. It needs to re-emerge as a great fragrance in it's own right.

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

Shalimar but better! Not only the price is very affordable but it really does have more to love than Shalimar. It has the same opening of citrus and the same notes, vibe, and qualities but if you really smell it hard enough you'll notice it has differences as well. I could smell more jasmine on this perfume whereas Shalimar never has time to get into the floral scents. I could also smell a deep rose very romantic, nocturnal and incensed. There is definitely incense on here and more of it than in Shalimar. There is also no vanilla whereas Shalimar has tons of it. This has more patchouli. It is very strong very masculine but I thought it was about time I stopped smelling of girly girl scents all the time. This is for a seductive, assertive woman who just doesn't want to spend all her money on Chanel. Why not this fragrance? It smells amazing, has a lot of sillage longevity and spiciness. This is a beautiful rose and jasmine perfume, incense, very Oriental. Reading other reviews here from people who know their stuff it's even reported that Emeraude was released BEFORE Shalimar which makes Shalimar the dupe of this fragrance. This is the Oriental that started it all. The first Oriental. Sexy, seductive, spicy, sultry, elegant, romantic. Satisfies my need for flowers and incense. Totally unisex because every time I wear it people ask me if I put on some guy's cologne or if a guy's cologne rubbed off on me. Someone God bless him mistook this for Yves Saint Laurent Opium LOL

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

Rich, warm, resinous and strange. The sandalwood, vanilla, patchouli is wonderfull and gives a powdery feel. wich I love.
Absolutely gorgeous.

jtd

Emeraude preceded Shalimar by 4 years. There are strong similarities in their olfactory profiles. Bergamot topnotes and floral heartnotes enveloped in vanillic-amber bases would come to define the historical “oriental” genre. Sweet, resinous, nearly-gourmand qualities made both perfumes rich and heady but the durable musky, powdery base kept them from becoming desserts. Due to the preponderance of durable, resinous materials (benzoin, labdanum, vanilla, tonka, oppopanax, sandalwood) the perfumes of this era and genre have a long arc that plays out over hours and days. I think of these perfumes as speaking with a drawl.

So who robbed whom? I understand linking Shalimar to the Coty perfume, not only for their olfactory similarities, but for the cliché orientalism that both brands perpetuated. (* Again, Shalimar wins.) Primarily, though, Shalimar is a riff on Guerlain’s benchmark citrus-over-coumarin/musk perfume from 1889, Jicky. Jacques Guerlain simply stole from his younger self. Shalimar has unmistakable similarities to Emeraude, which came first, but it’s likely that Emeraude cribbed from perfumes that preceded it.

chyprespace
chyprespace

Haha. I love vintage perfumes, chypres, at least, and I love green notes, so I thought "emerald" - a vintage green perfume, perfect. I bought a vintage version on Ebay, and heck, WHAT WAS I THINKING? This is so awful it makes me laugh. It's like diaper Shalimar to put on a baby's butt. I am German and have no sentimental relation to this perfume, no beloved great-aunt who smelled like this, so that's my first impression. I should have checked the notes first, neither oakmoss nor greens in there.

ChrisInBrooklyn
ChrisInBrooklyn

This was my mother's standby fragrance in the 70s & 80s and thankfully I've gotten her to move past it. I loathe it! Dry, powdery, old, linear, flat and cheap are just a few adjectives to describe it. There is potential here, that once upon a time it could have been something seductive, crystalline and dynamic, but alas, it is no more. I understand some people's nostalgic notions of this fragrance as being something comforting from the recesses of time and memory; and that is a lovely thing...but not now, not as a fragrance today. Emeraude is a once grande dame, now destitute...

Scout
Scout

I remember my Mom having a bottle of this, and she used the dusting powder religiously. But strangely I remember my Grandma as being the one that smelled like this. Maybe they both had it. But my Mom never struck me as the soft powdery type, EVER. That was gram, in her wheelchair and day aprons smothered with the love she made in the kitchen that day.

I grabbed a bottle at a discount store just because I've been on this kick of rediscovering old stuff.

I happened to spray it on a day when I had used up some kitschy BBW Pumpkin Spice Latte lotion that morning.

And let me tell you: What a combo!!!!! It was vanilla and fruity candy tethered with soft powder from a fresh haircut. It. was. gorgeous.

Today I sprayed Emeraude sans lotion and it's more tarnished, not as vanilla, not as bright. It's more baby powder than barbershop, way less vanilla, no real discernible citrus for me.

With Shalimar cologne I get a heart of lemon. Not here. Emeraude seems to be way more long lasting than my cologne version of Shalimar. It's been on a good four hours and still seems to be developing, but I put it in a place where I can't smell direct to my skin. The sillage is just some kind of powder.

Yeah this is classic and "old lady" but I like the no-patchouli thing. Yes I know there's patchouli in here but it's not smacking me around like a Youth Dew. Could totally wear this to work with a turtleneck and not make anyone notice.

emt1986
emt1986

Emeraude is so strange and I LOVE it. Benzoin and amber and opoponax and sandalwood and vanilla (all notes I adore) sound so warm, yet the bergamot and lemon (and maybe the patch?) lend an undercurrent of distinct coolness that reminds me of men's aftershave or shaving cream or something... I can't exactly place it, but I get a bit of deja vu when I wear this, perhaps maybe for old-school Barbasol? In any case, Emeraude is aptly named; it smells like the color green. Sillage is moderate at best and longevity isn't great, but it's inexpensive enough that you're fine to just go ahead and spray plenty and often. It's a nice sleepy-time scent. I find it VERY comparable to Shalimar, if less powdery and complex and not as long-lasting... But if you want the same feel as Shalimar for a much lesser price, Emeraude is on the money.

MaryjaK
MaryjaK

I recently got my hands on a vintage bottle of Emeraude splash EDC, and it was the same versatile spicy fragrance I remember long ago. I go straight to the base notes, and they seem to be combined in a slightly sweet, aromatic blend that makes it hard to define each of them individually.

I do, however, get a whiff of citrus at the beginning -- bergamot, maybe -- that I didn't before, and it adds a bit of freshness to the mix.

I'll have to buy some of the current product and see if I like it as much.

Fragrant Desert

Already wrote a review. Wanted to return to Emeraude, however. I may never know how this was meant to smell. There is something about Emeraude that makes me want to defend and protect it. Promote it. To that end, I have found an affordable way for me to soup up Emeraude and I'd like to share it in case anyone may benefit. No more wearing it alone. Start with a base layer of an even less expensive chanel no. 5 dupe. Find it really makes Emeraude much richer.

Not too fond of the edt of its offspring, Shalimar. the edp just shows what Guerlain thinks of edt .. not much. Now am going to try same. Use a no. 5 dupe to soup it up. Even think am most excited about using Emeraude and Shalimar edt Together. Let's see if they can't both reach some former glory and edp level that way. I love to layer perfumes. Using a low to medium priced fume is a wise way to get more mileage out of the pricey ones. I only use the chanel no. 5 dupes but that is because it is best suited to the types of fragrances I prefer. Going to see which other bottles I have may boost Emeraude. It just needs a little something extra to smell many times more fragrant.

To that end? I refuse to buy Chanel no. 5 itself (except for the edt which I scored discount). I don't miss it because I'll use the dupe .. but layer That with a floral aldehyde. Doesn't really matter which floral aldehyde so long as it is affordable. It wont be an exact replica of course but that isn't what I am seeking. I'm looking to have fun with perfume and smell great at unreal cheap prices!

lairdutemp
lairdutemp

Emeraude smells like it has a lot of amber, a rich warm fragrance that is perfect for autumn or winter. And no, it doesn't bother me that its sold in drugstores. Its a very old fragrance that first debuted in the 1920s. I love it!

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

I get a fairly simple set of notes from the modern Emeraude, it is pleasant, powdery, musky, lasts well, fading to a basic powder scent. I find Shalimar a more complex scent and I don't see a great similarity at first sniff.

HennaQueen
HennaQueen

This is the scent of my grandmother, circa 1977.

It is the fragrance of my childhood. My grandmother's hugs enveloped me with this rich vanilla resinous fragrance. It makes me feel safe, loved and nurtured.

So it is no surprise that I quickly snatched up a small vintage bottle of pure perfume at my favorite antique shop. A real no-brainer for $14.00. This is deeper than my childhood memory, more powdery, richer, creamier. My grandmother wore the Cologne spray in the 1970's, which I also have. That is brighter with more prominent bergamot and lemon swirled with vanilla and powdery amber.

I found that my skin works best with the pure perfume of the 1970's. I was gleeful when I found 3 spray bottles of pure perfume from back in the day. They will last me a long time and remind me of my grandma, who was sassy, funny, and totally real. You could be raw with my grandma, she was not a fussy old lady; she could take a joke and dish it right back at you. By the time the late-eighties rolled along, she declared that "Emeraude smells different, I don't like it" and switched to White Diamonds, which smelled great on her. Funny thing is, we all know now that what she was detecting when she ditched Emeraude was its reformulation.

So, I highly recommend that you snag yourself a bottle of vintage cologne, parfum de toilette, or pure perfume if you can. Don't bother with the new stuff. The vintage sprays can be had for a song. If you like Shalimar, you will probably like vintage Emeraude. Think of it as Shalimar's younger sister. There is no leather lurking in the shadows, only smoky, powdery opoponax and vanilla. I have on the vintage perfume as I write this, sniffing my wrists every so often. Lyra by Alain Delon is in the same vain as Emeraude, but is woodier upon first application and less powdery on the drydown. As Thierry Wasser has been quoted, perfume truly is "the ghost in the bottle."

meow_83
meow_83

I was going to spend more time with Emeraude before writing a review. Today, however, her scent was lingering on the gloves I wore. All I want to do is bury my nose in the back of my hand and think about her.

Emeraude smells very herbal to me at first. I smell orange most out of her top notes. Next I pick up lavender powder, possibly with vanilla. The vanilla and powder linger well into her gorgeous balsamic drydown. Emeraude is beautiful and complex with no dissonance at any point in her development.

If I could make one perfume wish I would ask to have the "old lady" perfume association erased from my mind. It was the first association I made when testing Emeraude even though I know better. Fortunately I purchased a small bottle so I had time to develop an appreciation. The use of powder in toilette has been replaced by daily hot showers and products to make us squeaky clean. I like to think that the powderiness of older perfumes not only enhanced but also reflected the way people smelled when they were dressed for special occasions. Besides powder, I pick up a prominent herbal accord in both Emeraude and Shalimar. It jumps out because it smells just like Neutrogena Rainbath to me! It's a shame these powdery and herbal scents sometimes get assigned to certain age ranges rather than time periods. I am certain some of F. Scott Fitzgerald's ladies wore Emeraude. It's art deco and mint juleps with an air of richness.

I figured out why I, in particular, enjoy Emeraude so much. Prada L'Eau Ambree is one of my most adored fragrances (and the first I reviewed on Fragrantica). Every note listed in L'Eau Ambree is also contained in Emeraude. L'Eau Ambree smells more modern, lacking the herbal notes. The two fragrances have in common a beautiful balsamic accord with powdery amber and resin. I love how this accord is both classy and meditative. Its trail will capture the noses of admirers and at the same time carry the wearer to far off places. Exactly what I look for in an oriental.

Tracyarts
Tracyarts

This was my mother's signature fragrance, I've known the smell my entire life. It was the first one I ever wore myself, sneaking sprays from her dresser. I have a small older bottle that was hers, and a larger newer one I bought myself several years ago. The notes on my skin are: powder, vanilla, wood, and spice. In that exact order. It's a sweeter, softer, powdery sister fragrance to Shalimar, IMO. The older formula is just a deeper and stronger version of the new formula to me.

Edit: I impulse bought a new purse size spray of the current formulation of Emeraude EDT at the drugstore tonight. It has only a hint of the sweetness and softness of my older bottles. It's mostly balsam, powder, and wood. What a shame. It smells kind of like older formulations, but more like a knock off imposter of them.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

EMERALD OF THE ORIENT COTY MASTERPIECE PERFUME

Francois Coty's Emeraude (French for emerald) was sold in France in 1921, 5 years before Jacques Guerlain's Shalimar. Now if only I could get myself into a Time Machine to discover what actually ocurred because Shalimar smells so much like Emeraude, making Shalimar the dupe/copy of Emeraude. One theory holds that Guerlain made a deal with Coty to use the same formula as Shalimar but he tweaked it a bit and made it a lot spicier. So what we have here is like when a master artist paints a grand masterpiece and an apprentice recreates the same painting but adds a little more detail here and there. I am absolutely in love with Emeraude. I do have a vintage Shalimar but I could not live without my emerald and so I also keep a vintage Emeraude as well. Mine is actually from about 1991 when it was reissued in a limited 70th Anniversary Edition. My vintage Emeraude is not in the large 8 ounce glass bottle which is what you mostly see being sold today on ebay. I dont own the reformulation currently being sold today as a spray. I have an eau de parfum spray in a fine French crystal bottle shaped like a round emerald! It looks like a piece of the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz! The stopper is also an emerald colored and shaped jewel. Vintage Emeraude from before the reformulation's release is what you want so look for any of the Emeraudes made between 1921 and 1991. Emeraude is a beautiful romantic evening perfume. It's a jewel you wear on your skin, and takes you to India (in my imagination it is India during the Raj when Great Britain ruled India) where the moonlight casts beams of dreamy silver light on the emerald a beautifully dressed Englishwoman wore on her neck as she walks with her husband fiance or lover in a garden of night blooming jasmines. It's definitely an evening fragrance to be worn with formal wear, an evening gown. This is a romantic night out perfume, a night at the ballet, the opera, the theater, or a romantic dinner. On me it's not strong at all. Just spray or apply it lightly in all the right places your pulse points or where you can project the most fragrance: the back of your neck, the front of your neck, your chest, your forearms. Emeraude is certain to bewitch and enchant you with it's beauty.

Notes in Coty's Emeraude

Head Notes: Orange Bergamot Lemon

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Ylang-ylang, Rose Brazilian Rosewood

Base notes: Amber, Sandalwood, Patchouli Opoponax, Benzoin Vanilla

While there are similarities to the formula in Shalimar (it's dupe) there are also many differences. I can tell that Emeraude is not spicy nor heavy on vanilla in the way that Shalimar is. They are only similar in the opening top notes of citruses: orange, bergamot and lemon. This is what most people "get it" that Shalimar smells like Emeraude. The citrus notes are 100 percent the same. Once the top notes dissipate, you get the differences. I can smell more night blooming jasmines on Emeraude and it makes it really more beautiful and romantic. There is also a heavier dark red rose scent which Shalimar does not have. Emeraude is more floral than Shalimar which is bigger on the base notes of vanilla and amber. In the base notes of Emeraude which become the dry down, Emeraude is not the vanilla of Shalimar. In fact I couldn't get any vanilla at all. I got the warmth of the amber, the richness of the sandalwood and some other wood notes. And Patchouli, beautiful patchouli. There is an incense note as well (not listed) which blends very well with the patchouli. Wearing the Shalimar sold today and thena vintage Emeraude will make you appreciate the differences and the merits of both fragrances. But Emeraude blew me away. I have never had a more beautiful fragrance which is a lot of things at once: beautiful in a romantic way, Oriental, sexy, seductive, mysterious and elegant. The dry down is what you MUST experience in order to fall in love with Emeraude. The dry down in this fragrance is absolutely divine. It creates the effect of a sublime beauty that no thousand or million dollar clothes can give you. This is like a beautiful dark emerald veil and a gown worn by a Hindu princess or priestess as she offers flowers and incense to Lakshmi, goddess of beauty, love and wealth. She prays that all her dreams can come true: perfect happiness in love, in life, in her career, family, friends, and adventure. This is like a prayer of love and happiness, and that drydown is so beautiful and sets my imaginaiton on fire, something that gets me higher than any LSD or any other drug can give me. I don't need drugs, I have my perfumes for that!

The_Entity
The_Entity

This is good, smells just like Shalimar, but stronger and warmer

Marie69
Marie69

Testing a vintage, likely 70´s of Emeraude, EDC and a 80´s version of Shalimar EDT. To me, the main difference is that Shalimar starts of as a lemon, bergamot blaster, then morphs into several different scents until it settles down. Shalimar has a smoky phase. Emeraude also has a citrus opening, but softer, maybe more orange than lemon. Shalimar is much deeper with many dimensions, whereas Emeraude is more unilateral. Shalimar also has boozy notes, and is has rougher edges. The dry down between the two is their most similar aspect. They are in the end, very very similar. I like then both very much.

Fragrant Desert

Emeraude is bad ass and shines on me! Wanna pair it with one of my men fumes and Really accent these notes.

What was a fragrance for women decades ago can now easily be considered unisex. Frankly, if marketed today, it could easily be marketed as a Men fragrance. It is citrus and wood. Benzoin, amber and patchouli. Some floral. Why not? Even the packaging is pretty unfeminine. I suggest any man to give this a try. I also encourage younger women to try it.

malia

Can't get enough of this beauty!Thank you,Coty. Amazing composition! Love!

deb.martinez
deb.martinez

I was gifted this from a lovely fragrantican! It looks and,smells vintage. In a small bottle with gold twist on top. Its just beautiful..I only dabbed a little on each wrist..its so soft and powdery in the,drydown. I think im gonna buy a new bottle to compare!

Sobe
Sobe

Wow, I am so surprised by this one. I really Love it & it's now one of my tops. It's rich & powdery, but not in a baby powder way. It also has an almost chocolaty feel to it. Kind of reminds me of those scratch & sniff stickers I used to collect when I was little. It's so delicious.

To be honest, first couple seconds of my first spray I got pretty scared. Once it revealed itself I couldn't get my nose out of it & keep going back for more. Ahhhhh

I Love this so much I also have a backup.

It does remind me of Shalimar, but not really Chantilly

Readysniffer1
Readysniffer1

I was lusting after this fragrance by age 6. I probably had some by the time I was 10. Remarkably, it holds up! Like Sand and Sable, a true drugstore classic. Vintage Emeraude is something you should treat yourself to, if you get the chance. I don't think I've ever broken down the notes on this one, it just is what it is. For me, some kind of true love, in a bottle.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

I'm glad to have found this inexpensive remnant of the past that proceeds Shalimar, and as I sniff, I find similarities, but they are not identical. Emeraude is a lighter, more refreshing "daytime" version of Shalimar. My vintage 1950's Shalimar starts with orange and lemon, but then brings forth a robust blend of vanilla, incense and leather. The Emeraude I have is from the 1960's and has a tart citrus scent that remains steady at the forefront of this fragrance giving it a certain "greeness". I also get a slight medicinal smell like what you get with myrrh. The vanilla and patchouli come into the background but remain 2nd seat to the tart citrus and myrrh. I'm so paranoid about using up my Shalimar that I end up hardly ever wearing it, so I'm glad to have found Emeraude to use instead, something I can wear even during the day.

Miss Muguet
Miss Muguet

A lady in the perfume department of a department store introduced me to Diorissimo when I was a girl, and I fell in love. I had my signature fragrance. But when I was living on my own and working as a bank teller, it got too expensive for me. Astonishing, go figure. So I went looking for more affordable substitutes. Muguet des bois, Emeraude... I wore both at different times, liked both, forgot about both. Yesterday I tried a spritz of Emeraude, and wow. I don't remember how it used to smell, but I sure like how it smells now. All I got was patchouli at first, but not the overdone kind my friends wore in the 70s. Then it softened into something delicious. I can't wear a lot of current perfumes because they all have something in them (I'm suspecting it's white florals) that gives me a sick headache. Emeraude, thank goodness, doesn't have whatever it is. On the contrary, it has some magic that compels me to take another sniff and another, to consume it ravenously almost like a forbidden sweet. I never wore powdery scents or Orientals -- those were for my mother. Now I'm wondering if she wasn't on to something great.

nestapleton
nestapleton

This is for the original formulation, I have no idea about the new version, however, it is different and I hear it is not nearly as good. I did find a vintage bottle two years ago on eBay and risked the chance that it may have gone bad. I got lucky. It was just like I remembered my aunt wearing as a child, and everything I loved about perfume. While my mother wore Arpage, which was nice, Emeraude was just so fantastically amazing it defined what I felt perfume should be. A lady would get noticed wearing Emeraude, to me it smelled opulent and classy. I do not have the bottle here as I write, so from memory, it is just a very powdery, vanilla-y, awesome fragrance with sophistication and a star quality. The thing is, I can not wear my beloved Emeraude, I love it but I do not "own" it. I can not wear is as I don't feel liek ti is me. I would not say it smells old-fashioned, however, it is definitely not a modern scent. To the person who has purchased a vintage bottle and found it to be harsh, that bottle definitely turned. While the sillage is very strong - Emeraude projects, but the scent itself is beautifully silky and soft yet exotic, like the purr of a black panther kitten with gorgeous emerald eyes and an art deco diamond colar. It makes me think of what a movie star in the 1950s might have worn.

Tessla
Tessla

This is a first impression review. I bought a full bottle of this at a thrift store today for less than $2. I'm not sure the vintage or the concentration, as it has no paper label or other markings other than the name on the cap. It looks much like the picture here, except that my bottle's cap is as tall as the bottle itself. The color of the juice is more like that of green tea than the rather poisonous highlighter color above.

I suspect, from the style of the sprayer and the way its plastic head has aged, that this is from the late '70s, early '80s.

Anyway, on first spray, it came on strong with a very tart citrus and maybe even some aldehydes, almost too sharply green for my nose, though there's no stinging pong of alcohol burning off, as there is in a lot of inexpensive scents.

Ten minutes in, there appeared a dry, woody note that reminds me more of fresh hardwood lumber than the cedar and graphite scent of pencil shavings.

After that, I began to think I've bought a Houbigant Chantilly clone. There's a good degree of that same creamy, almost palpable bitter-sweet vanilla and a similar tender powderiness-- but where Chantilly is all comforting sweetness and plush cuddliness, a real angora sweater of a fragrance, Emeraude has a grown woman's growl and a few pointy ends.

There's something there, that, dangit, I can't name, but it has an earthiness to it, a animalistic scent underlying the vanilla and powder. It doesn't smell anything like scat or human BO or worse... just, something biological. Whatever it is, it keeps me sniffing the back of my hand, where I sprayed this.

Synesthetically, that bio-note smells 'hollow' and gives me the mental visual image of peering down through an old-fashioned paper soda straw into something dark, like coffee. Yeah, that sounds crazy to me too, but for those few who 'see' scents, maybe it won't sound too wackadoodle. ;-)

In the morning, on freshly bathed skin, I'll try Emeraude again and see if she reveals more intriguing layers. Perhaps all I've been smelling is something oxidized from sitting inside the sprayer tube for heaven knows how long.... But even so, I'm glad I parted with $2 on nothing more than a cap-off sniff of the spray head!

Scented Demented
Scented Demented

This is reminds me of a long awaited visit of an old friend. Comes out very strong and sweet on initial spray; a lot going for its citrus, floral and woody accords. On my skin this just doesn't last long: I get a woeful 45 minutes, with a drydown of all woods. 'Wish you'd stay a bit longer.'
As much as I like it this wont be on my repurchase list.

pamelapuffadder

i just got a late 1950s cologne from an estate sale. while it,s pleasant enough, i too thnk it smells like spicy playdoh. i don,t get vanilla, and other than some spice, i don,t think it is much like shalimar. shalimar is more complex and refined. abut the color is attractive as is the price.

LuLuGoes
LuLuGoes

I just saw a bottle of Emeraude in the glass fragrance case at CVS.

A classic. Yes, the vintage bottles are different from the bottles you can buy today in drug stores and shops.

Emeraude was my initial introduction to amber. I find the amber to be prominent in this fragrance. And that was the beginning of a lifelong love affair with ambery, woody, spicy fragrances.

Vanilla here is hidden in the background. I am not shy about drugstore perfumes or Avon or whatever. But I do hesitate to return to this one, as the reformulation is different than the old version. Still. I could be tempted and add this to my pile of drugstore nostalgia collection...

Monie70
Monie70

Disclaimer: this is not a review...sorry kids!

Oh my goodness! I wore this when I was just a kid! I really thought I was doing something buying this, and I guess I was considering my friends in my age group of 14 or so were wearing...soap and whatever laundry detergent their moms used...LOL!

Back when I was a teen, wearing perfume was NOT something the girls I was around wore, so this was a big deal.

It was so long ago that I cannot conjure up its scent but I ran across this when looking at Oriental scents and remember my bottle of it that I bought at FedCo (only those in L.A. in the 80s know of this place) or someplace similar.

I do remember loving it! It was one of my first perfumes purchased with my own money! I remember it was sweet but not much more. I'll have to check it out again!

Chieniste
Chieniste

I got his from my godfather as a pre-teen, so not the appropriate scent in retrospect!
However, as an adult, I can appreciate the scent much more; and in fact have become a lover of this genre of perfume.
Funny how a sniff can take you back instantly: and that's what Emeraude does for me.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Emeraude came out before Shalimar, and smells similar, but perhaps a little more spicy and less woody, with greater emphasis on the citrus notes. It’s vintage-esque and yet there is a lively quality to it, like the sparkle of diamonds and the bubbles in champagne.

It smells like 1921, sultry and yet vivacious and bursting with energy and that’s a good thing if glamour is what you aim for.

mrmattcat78

my bottle came today ,from first spray ,instant love , i love this fragrance so much ,beginning of a beautiful relationship

mrmattcat78

found a vintage bottle , hope its good as people say the original is :)

Karmah
Karmah

I loved Emeraude in the 70's. I wore it all the time! But somewhere along the line it changed and now there is something in it that just doesn't agree with my nose. I'm not sure what it is, but I am sorely disappointed.

msanishvili
msanishvili

It is really amazing to me how different people perceive smells differently. Emeraude smells EXACTLY like Play-doh to me. I have Shalimar (not 2014 reformulation), and it does not seem similar to Emeraude.

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

This stuff smells amazing. My grandmother wore this and my mom wears this. My mom has both this and Shalimar. They are similar however, Emeraude has more of a bright, citrusy vibe to it with the familiar powdery, creme brulee vanilla. Shalimar has the citrus with more of a dusty leather, incense smell to it. Both are addicting.

suzycurlyq
suzycurlyq

I have been eyeing this for a little while now as it is part of the "classics" and I am just needing to walk down memory lane for some reason. Boy am I glad I did!!! This starts out citrus-y with green leaves and then the most amazing thing happens! It transforms into a gentle, soft, lovely, comforting scent. I think I will have this for the rest of my life as I am in love!

christelucas
christelucas

I won't spend $$ to buy from e bay or similar. I still love Frances Denny, which you can get and others. My wish is that someone would have the capital to start up a House to bring back the desirable, elegant scents we associated with comfort, love, stateliness, fun, security. I would gladly invest in this House and help run it.

Many of my clients look for what we speak of in hopes of finding it. So, tired of repeats and new things, throw-a-ways. Fragrances, Houses of Fashion, used to last decades if not centuries. We need to restore that foundation.

There are many patents attainable for this to be company. Patents go into a limbo and are still there.

mrolfhus

Drug store Emeraude was the first perfume I bought for myself back in the late 70s, purely because it was green :-) It smelled sorta yuck. I was therefore shocked when a friend procured a truly vintage bottle from her mother-in-law (it had been a gift to *her* mother, unopened and in her closet since the 20s and kept as a remembrance). We cracked that sucker open and almost died--it was that wonderful.

The rumor in the industry is that Coty sold the formulation to Guerlain, who released it as Shalimar after a minor tweak or two. I can totally believe that. This smelled like Shalimar without the dirty under-scent that I always get (and no one else--guess it is my skin that makes it less beautiful on me--I know some people who smell divine with Shalimar). On me it smells how I smell Shalimar on others.

A true loss to the industry.

swampgirlie
swampgirlie

I smell this and I have to choke back tears. Such a loving, safe, feminine, powdery and slightly soapy scent.
I miss you Grandma. Xo.
#melancholy
#nostalgic

SusanInSFL
SusanInSFL

After all these years, I've come back to Emeraude. It was what my Mom wore and I always associate the scent with her. She and I always had similar body chemistry so what smelled good on her, smelled good on me.

Sometime maybe 30 years ago, I started wearing Shalimar which is of course, similar. My beloved Mama died 2 1/2 years ago, and I bought a bottle of drug store Emeraude to wear to the funeral just for her. (I hate funerals and never do them, but I did this one just for my Dad's sake).

After that, I have kept an old Emeraude candle by my bedside. The smell is just intoxicating to me.

Anyway, that's when I realized that the new Emeraude didn't come close to what I remembered. So maybe 2 years ago, I purchased a 'vintage' Emeraude cologne spray and voila! It smelled great! However, I had a hard drive crash and can't remember where I bought it online. :-(

I have since ordered some from Ebay. The first arrived yesterday and it is brown and smells like crap. :::sigh::: I'm hoping the next, an Eau de Parum, smells better.

If anyone has any suggestions for a reliable source for vintage scents such as Emeraude, I'd really love to know.

I've really enjoyed reading the above posts.

(Oh, and a dear family friend who is a few years younger than my Mom was, wears Tabu. I'll always think of her with Tabu. And a wonderful aunt who died in 2000 always wore Tigress. It's amazing how these scents stay with you and color our memories. Wow! I'd love to find an old bottle of Tigress. )

SheAlwaysSmellsGood
SheAlwaysSmellsGood

I have both Shalimar and Emeraude and I have to say that while they're similar, they are both very different. It's like having a twin sister that is nothing like you.

Shalimar is mature, sexy, seductive, educated, mysterious even. Booksmart, a vintage lover.

Emeraude is the sister that wants to go out and dance. She wants to be seen and heard and wants all eyes on her. She's sporty and fresh and dare I say ZINGY! Good sense of humor on Emeraude.

They both have very lovely qualities about them and are both worth having. Emeraude really is a good perfume on her own and I bet she frequently gets miffed constantly being compared to her overacheiving sister. ;)

I love Shalimar. I'm the nose-in-the-book kind of girl... but ever so often when I'm feeling a little bounce in my step, Emeraude is my friend.

alahoop
alahoop

I have several bottles of this, all vintage. A spray bottle of cologne from the 80s; a splash bottle of parfum de toilette, not sure of the date; and a parfum from the 40s or 50s. I don't know how they compare to the modern version, because I haven't tried it, but the vintage ones I have are seriously gorgeous.

I know that Emeraude is often compared to Shalimar (and rightly so), but to me, there is no contest. Emeraude wins, hands down. On me, it is soft and spicy, whereas all I get from Shalimar is smoke and sweet vanilla. It is also worth noting that Emeraude came out in 1921, a full four years before Shalimar was released in 1925.

The parfum has woody notes that don't come out as strongly in the other bottles I have. I get a lot of sandalwood, and something almost piney, although it's not listed as a note. I've lost track of how many perfumes I own at this point, but I must wear Emeraude at least 3-4 times per week lately, so I think that says something about it.

I think Emeraude is seriously underrated, perhaps because of its status as a "drugstore perfume," but it, along with several other Coty scents, was selected by Guy Roberts as a perfume masterpiece. And I think it is, at least in its vintage formulation.

pipergirl
pipergirl

Remember that Journey song:
"I seen her in a smoky room
The smell of wine and cheap perfume"

If I had to guess, the Small Town Girl of that song was wearing Emeraude...

harvest archer
harvest archer

I recently received a decant from HeidiLynn and tried this at bedtime. This is a very sexy and comforting fragrance for me. The initial impression is citrus freshness and the drydown is pure amber/patchouli/rosewood heaven! One of the best orientals I've tried..I had this many years ago and wasn't impressed; it's amazing how you can try a scent, and go back to it years later with a completely different impression! Thank You HeidiLynn for reintroducing me to a stunning scent:)!

greengrl

I decided to give this another try after a bad experience the first time. It opens up with a very strong benzoin note with a hint of bergamot. Once I gave it time to settle (20 minutes) it softened to a lemon/vanilla/sandalwood blend. Wow, what a difference! I am now starting to see why people like this fragrance.

I would say it's worth giving it a try, especially since it is so readily available.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

The name Shalimar appears on this page 117 times. It is really difficult to separate the two fragrances. However, there is really no comparison as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps this was comparable to Shalimar at one point. Maybe it even inspired Shalimar.

Today, however, and for at least the past 50 years, Emeraude doesn't even come close to the quality of Shalimar. After going through several well-preserved vintage bottles, I've noticed how absolutely terrible the quality is. The obscenely cheap fake jasmine heart sticks out like a sore thumb in every single bottle, rendering the entire composition totally unwearable for me. A nice opening isn't going to fix a drydown that is somewhere between Indian hair oil and that lavender scented powder that you sprinkle on carpets before you vacuum.

I don't care if Emeraude is free - it will never be a viable alternative to Shalimar at its current quality. I sincerely doubt that Emeraude will ever be worth smelling outside of the walls of the Osmotheque again.

pamelapuffadder

Wow. Just got a small vintage bottle and it is a pleasant surprise. As everyone says, opens citrus, green, some nice spice then dries with nice vanilla amber. This is definitely a drugstore masterpiece and a great bargain. It's not overwhelmingly spicy like Tabu. This is a keeper. If the newer stuff smells anything like this, buy it. I am a Shalimar girl from waaay back and this is not a replacement but it is a very nice, affordable scent in the Oriental category.

cyanne
cyanne

I found the best way to wear Emeraude is to layer it with Mariah Carey's M. The idea of Emeraude always fascinated me. Emerald is my birthstone, so I've thought I should be able to rock this perfume and wear it for my own. Unfortunately, I read all the wonderful praises, but when I'd try to wear it, all I could percieve....was Eau de Elder!
Finally, I decided to give this classic another round. I learned that it was from the roaring 20s..which again intrigued me. I found the old Coty ads and pictures of the vintage green art deco bottles. I had to see what all the mystique was about! Quite by accident, I compared The Emeraude I'd just spritzed to Marih Carey M. Both are oriental/floral...so I layered them..What a delicious fragrant jewel! Now I can wear my Emeraude at last...in fact, can't get enough of it. I call the combination Em and M. Seaspray and incense, smoky, yet sweet. "M" keeps it light. Emeraude makes it regal.

Natalie Nations
Natalie Nations

I bought this fragrance quite unexpectedly at Walgreens. Emeraude? Now, why does that sound so familiar? Guess because it's Coty and it's been around for 93 years. For real! When I put this cologne on I thought immediately of Shalimar, but was surprised to learn Emeraude came out a couple of years earlier. Emeraude, to me, is lighter then Shalimar, less citrusy and missing the incense/leather combo completely. I get more vanilla and woodsy amber. The dry down is delicious vanilla/sandalwood, both powder and cream - reminding me a bit of TM Alien. I love that this cologne isn't too expensive because I love to layer it on throughout the day. I'm really intrigued by the history of these old school Coty fragrances even though I do realize they have been reformulated.

zzMaja
zzMaja

I wore this years ago and I did love it. To be honest, I have not tried the new formulations. It used to be lovely, sensual and quite sexy for an inexpensive perfume. I would love to try it again. I recall it having a tremendous staying power even a day or two after applying.

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

Ok after years of my mum only wearing l'aimant by coty, i was not prepared to like this, especially after getting her the muget and that smelling just like lily of the valley. I am not big on that one so expected this to be another "fluffy bunny" scent. However i sprayed this and was immediately reminded of a sophisticated scent such as chanel 5. Its not a modern sugar, alcohol and fruit blend, but sophisticated and layered. Its great for dinner parties and night times, even sexy when going to bed. While the muget and l'aimant worn at bed just means a kiss, lights out and right to sleep, this one means a kiss and then.....
I am surprised this comes from the same stable as the other two but all 4 are very good fragrance that dont have the sharp, loud bluster of many of todays " fragrances"

Chava
Chava

I just got a bottle of vintage Emeraude, and it is such a delight! A powdery, amber-y, vaguely floral treat with just a faint hint of citrus - not the sugary citrus you'll find in most modern perfumes, but reminiscent of fresh squeezed limes. It lingers all day without ever being overpowering. The last stage of Emeraude (after 6 hours or so) actually reminds me of White Diamonds, which is a very good thing - all powder and white musk! Quite surprised musk isn't listed as one of the notes. This is a scent for a lady! They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I may have found my new signature fragrance!

spiderleenie
spiderleenie

**Note that I am reviewing the stuff I once had from the drugstore, which also said it was a "unisex" fragrance on the bottle.

I haven't owned this fragrance in a very long time, but I certainly remember how it smelled! I got it as a Christmas gift one year from my parents (when I was a teenager). Back then, I preferred either clean scents or really spicy/woody/musky scents. I remember going through an entire bottle of this just because I had it, not because I particularly loved it. I was kind of indifferent to it. I'd be getting ready for school in the morning and thinking, "oh yeah, let me spray something on me," and I would often grab this (just because it was there). It didn't offend my nose or anything, and I do remember getting a couple of compliments whenever someone at school would be within close distance to me.

Thinking about Emeraude now, I think I would honestly dislike the scent. As I've gotten older, those really spicy/woody/musky scents have a tendency to break down in a bad way with my body chemistry. The current me would find it to be WAY too cloying and powdery. The cologne would be wearing me rather than the other way around, which is no bueno for me.

All in all, I certainly remember Emeraude's smell, but I didn't have any strong opinions about it when I wore it way back when. It's one of those "Oh, you're wearing something" fragrances, it's not one of those "Ooooh, what are you wearing?!" fragrances.

PurpleMyst
PurpleMyst

Smelled this in the store and it was very citrusy to me. I've never liked very strong citrus smells; a little is okay when cleverly blended (or disguised) with other scents, but this was too much for me.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

this message is for the younger generations who know nothing of Emeraude but are intrigued by the reviews and it's mystique... ok so here's the deal with this one, you HAVE to get vintage. the stuff at cvs and walgreen's is rubbish.. not at all the same thing. Parfum De toilette, that's what you have to get and you'll see what all the fuss is about.

Planet_X
Planet_X

In this New Year’s Eve I wanted to write review on a perfume that I can call for myself - My Gem of the year. And it is Emeraude. A perfume that had happened to be an image - for Shalimar. Emeraude was first (1921)
I will wear it on special occasions like today with shiny green-black-golden dress
A man from Corsica (Francois Coty) who didn’t afraid to risk, (as he had nothing to loose at those days) - creator of L’Origan and - my another gem - L’Aimant (1927) - (by the way - favourite scent of Guerlain’s wife, hehe and I Am pretty sure she loved Emeraude as well) have done his best with Emeraude as well. So with smile I admit that my version is that Guerlain literally “stole” the main accord from Emeraude to his Shalimar, maybe was just jealous and annoyed by impudent Corsican)
Beautiful mysterious amber and musk notes mixed with dry leaves of mint.
Get an old bottle, this scent is a Time Machine, the first oriental.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I Have a non vintage splash bottle, and while the bright green color implies a pronounced and bold scent, it was not. Similar to Shalimar, but with bergamot instead of lemon and much less incense, I found Emeraude to be much easier to wear. It does start out a bit harsh and then transitions to a musty vetiver sweetness that was vaguely similar to Tousjour Moi. It has a pleasant vanilla powderiness at the dry down. Longevity is about 4 hours and sillage surprisingly weak.

emellesteele
emellesteele

This reminds me of Shalimar..I like Shalimar a bit better though! :)

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

Ive always loved the name Emeraude but only tried this now at 30...Im pleasantly surprised, considering this has been around since my grandmother was young. This feels vintage but not outdated. At first spritz, its strong lime-citrus that's a bit masculine but quickly dries down to a very nice key lime sponge cake-like scent. There is also a powdery note though its not listed. I really want a vintage bottle as I think it would look lovely on my dresser. Not very long-lasting on my skin but it seems not much is these days...would wear this is spring mostly.

veda
veda

Too musky for me!
Strange, I can't see "musk" in the perfume pyramid...

Chiropeg
Chiropeg

For the price, you can't beat the staying power. I have sweet dreams when I wear this to bed, and wake up and smell it on my gown the next morning. Very feminine!

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

I'm wearing the modern "drugstore" version of EMERAUDE in the EDC. At only $11.00 US, this fragrance pleases me more than any 100 other fragrances emerging today do. A friend has gifted me with a decant of the 1970's "parfum de toilette" jus... stronger, more dramatic, rounder, a bit more natural-smelling, but much the same idea.

Guerlain SHALIMAR gets all the credit for being the "first Oriental" type fragrance in modern perfume history; yet EMERAUDE pre-dates it by four years! As I understand it, a number of women in the last decades have called EMERAUDE "the poor woman's SHALIMAR", because there is a fair bit of similarity between the two.

EMERAUDE starts out with a prominent sweet orange note, in contrast to SHALIMAR's straight-ahead bergamot. EMERAUDE is a good bit less cinnamon-spicy in the midrange than the Guerlain; and then what makes EMERAUDE really different is its very prominent note of opoponax... that brilliant, golden-smelling balsam. SHALIMAR is a good bit more birchtar-smoky than EMERAUDE, and has a muskier, civet-based drydown. EMERAUDE is less musky, though it does possess a notable costus note... that curious, sebacious, concave/vacant powdery musk note.

Highly recommended... especially if you can luck out and find some vintage "parfum de toilette" (essentially an EDP version) somewhere on the 'Net.

goingblonde
goingblonde

On me a bit soapy at first, then becomes very powdery & just a slight bit woody then ends with just a hint of vanilla.
Great longevity .

shannonny
shannonny

I won two vintage editions of this recently: a gift set of "mist" (no indication whether edc or edt) and talcum; and a really large, opaque green bottle of, again, "mist."

Well, I don't know what '70s "mist" is, but I am wowed! At least going this far back, it does smell like Shalimar--the smaller bottle in the gift set, especially. Weird as I am, I almost choked up with emotion. So unexpectedly lovely!

The opening is sweeter than Shalimar, juicier smelling, and I like it. The opening incense notes of Shalimar smell like wet cardboard to me anyway (I only have EDT). So between the two openings, I like Emeraude's better.

The drydown retains a soft sweetness and powderiness--I swear there is an iris note like that of L'Heure Bleue, which it also shares a similarity to, in my opinion...minus the poignancy. Sometimes I just don't want to suffer the emotional pangs of wearing old Guerlains.

It lasted about an hour on me, which is typical of all scents, except my Guerlain EDPs. But as another reviewer said, how nice to have an affordable alternative to Guerlain to spray down the bed with!

Some time back I purchased another "vintage" of Emeraude, but it didn't have the pretty goodness of this one...or maybe I should try it again. Anyway, this is one of the happiest purchases I've made in a while.

MarillaV
MarillaV

I wanted to love this classic, but she and I don't mesh well. I picked up a vintage bottle from a thrift shop with the diagonal writing and crown top. Cost $3, so no big loss. It opens very limey, but quickly softens to a vanilla powder. Unfortunately, there is also a huge camphor, moth ball, menthol, felt pen-y smell on my skin. Which makes me sad, because I really wanted to like it. There is tons of lavender and vanilla and powder, but I can't shake that camphor smell. I may try again, perhaps my juice was spoiled from improper storage.

Kharnak Rex
Kharnak Rex

Classic? yes, i guess. It smells Strongly of Lavender baby powder. Very pleasant of course. The opening is a bright fresh Vanilla Citrus, much like the Earl Grey Tea Bergammot opening of Shalimar. turns smoky and musky powder like. well done i think.

Sillage: Strong
Scent: Shalimar, Jicky, Earl Grey Tea + Musky Baby Powder

cwolf

Having sampled a 1960's incarnate of Emeraude I have to conclude that modern Emeraude is a shadow of its former self. Vintage Emeraude is rich, deep, sweet, vanilla-ry but fresh - like Shalimar's daytime incarnate.
I'm only saying this to encourage perfume buyers to look to ebay for a vintage supply - they're still very cheap and comparible in price to what you'd pay for a new bottle.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

Bought a beautiful bottle of the original Coty on e-bay. I think it is really lovely but I can't wear it because it hurts my nose. A common problem I have with many fragrances. So this will not be remaining in my wardrobe of scents.

It really does smell very 1950's and I love that about it. "Geriatric"? I can see that but it is lovely none the less.

Henriette.
You're right... Its nice, cheap and cheerful. But compare it with modern shalimar and its just so flat and light in comparison. Cheap doesn't have to mean good. Cheap ingredients can be good, and expensive ingredients can be vile. Its like Emeraude refers to something, but isn't quite there in its current form. Your metaphor of a bleached scarf is spot on, the shape is there, but the beauty and the character are diminished. I still wear it and like it but I do agree with you. The quality isn't up there with Guerlain as Coty did in its heyday.
4 hours after application all I can smell is faint Sandalwood.

I had to update my review, mine is the review starting with "I had to buy this based on the reviews and comparisons to Shalimar (my all time fave)." by Guest.
How wrong I was about this one. Emeraude is a really beauty. Even after I had written that review I kept spraying a little on my wrist whenever I'd walk past the bottle. I guess I just had to spend a little time getting to know her. One day, its like the molecules rearranged themselves and I could really appreciate it. I think I had to get past my mental association with benzoin's and baby products. The only downside with this girl is that she doesn't last long. I have ordered a vintage Pure Perfume concentrate and I can't wait to try out the original formulation.

Henriette

In response to thecpn review who replied to mine: I thank you for expressing disagreement in such a graceful manner, not a common thing these days. Your view is perfectly acceptable and I agree with what you say. I have a number of scents which I never used in the original formula and I enjoy them a lot. I also like some cheap perfumes the same way I like some niche ones. But I cannot deny I am saddened, yes, saddened - not irritated, when I see that some great masterpieces have been destroyed.
In my opinion it would be like one had a Hermés scarf and in the attempt of cleaning it, it would be placed in the washing machine with chlorine. Then you still have a scarf, perfectly suitable to keep you warm, but the luscious silk, the marvellous colours, the fantastic design would have gone.
Emeraude now is a Hermés scarf washed in chlorine. And that's sad.
Again my thanks for expressing your disagreement in such a courteous way.
H.

ILS
ILS

I had no idea Emeraude dated back to the 20's. No wonder it's one of my favorites. I will be wearing it more because of its affordability. Estee Lauder is pricing out of my range. I got burnt out on Shalimar, I don't know why. As for snobbery, I have an extremely sensitive nose . . .always have. Emeraude hardly smells cheap! I don't fuss about 'notes'. I respond to the totality of the blend. I must have a scent that rests well on my skin and remains true.

I had to buy this based on the reviews and comparisons to Shalimar (my all time fave). The notes listed looked so promising. I bought blind off FragranceX because the selection of perfumes you can sample in New Zealand is really limited.
I wonder if I got an old bottle because I am not detecting all of the notes listed. I do not get any of the citrus top notes - I just re-sprayed, yes, they are there, ever so faintly, and last about 10 seconds. All I can detect from the first spray is benzoin and opoponax and I am not a fan of resins unless used sparingly, to me, there's too strong of an association with baby products and by extension, dirty nappies! As others have mentioned, there is no smoky, incence note as there is in Shalimar. I don't really see the strong comparison except that they're both a 1920's style oriental.
The middle notes are there, rosewood, vanilla, resins, patchouli. I don't get any florals, which is a shame because I really like ylang ylang. Its very warm and comforting, to my nose that strong resinousness feels sickly and... I hate this term... old lady. The base notes don't last long which is a shame because its quite a pretty sandalwood/vanilla.
I sprayed this perfume on today to give it another go. Its interesting but not complex. I like it, and find it comforting, but I don't think I'd wear it out, it feels old to me, not vintage, old. Just my opinion, and maybe just my chemistry, I'm certain on someone elses skin, if that patch was a bit stonger, resins a bit toned down, it could be gorgeous. I'm desperately curious what this smelt like originally before synthetics.

kafleenthedonkey
kafleenthedonkey

Perhaps my favorite scent. Smells just like Shalimar, but FAR more affordable. An ex boyfriend told me it smelled like Brut aftershave. :(

9-na
9-na

Vintage, was a present. I loved the citrusy notes the scent had for me, and those were happily long-lasting, but, alas, it also gave me the kind of vanilla I'm not into. But the citrus part was to die for, had a very natural feeling, loved it.

mysticgoose
mysticgoose

I love the vintage Emeraude. I have been buying up bottles so that I won't run out. It was the perfume my Grandmother wore and she was the one that first taught me about perfume. Vintage Emeraude is better than Shalimar. It is less sweet and very deep. It might be my favorite perfume of all. Even better than Mitousko if that is possible.
It is well worth finding a bottle on line. It needs to be the color of tea not a green color but a brown green to insure you are getting a real vintage sample. I have gotten a couple bottles from the 30s or 40s and they still smell wonderful. The perfume is hard to find but cologne and EDT are pretty easy. Try it.

Thatkid
Thatkid

I smelled this in the store at K-Mart during January 2013, they were having a big sale on colognes and perfumes but there were so many left of this one that I couldn't understand why- until I smelled it. It smelled like watered-down alcohol and wasn't even worth the 5 dollars they were selling it for. Bad fragrance. I am sure it was nice 92 years ago when it was made of ACTUAL ingredients but it's atrocious now.

Berlynn
Berlynn

I bought a vintage (1980's) bottle and I'm in love! It's so creamy, powdery and sweet with the slightest hint of tangy lime. The only detectable difference between this and shalimar is that it lacks the smokey note. the older version is a masterpiece!

adair58
adair58

I know it's been changed. It isn't the same, but some of the spiced, powdery, citrusy goodness remains. You can tell what it was. I wore it devotedly way back when it was wonderful. My sons remember that, and I receive it as a gift from them sometimes. I love it because of that, it is a scent memory to them.

I got it for Christmas this year and happily put it on. My hope is that someday Coty will correct what should never have been tampered with.

aoviatt
aoviatt

As a relatively new Fragrantica member, my addiction is moving along at a healthy pace. The idea of heartless celeb fragrances is a turn-off to me so I've been checking out some older classics. I went to the drug store tonight to check out Emeraude. I'm sorry, but it was awful. I started with a spritz on paper, fully intending to spritz some on my wrist for evaluation since I undertand fragrances are very different on paper versus a person. But I just could NOT spray that horrible smell on me.

To me this smells like a cheap old-fashioned men's cologne. I swear, if you added a few drops of yesterday's whiskey, and a dash of the VFW, this would smell exactly like my Step-Grandfather. Yes, FATHER, not Grandmother. Old lady would be a compliment to this if you ask me.

If you love this, more power to you. I couldn't even get to the dry-down so maybe on the right person it's lovely. But I'm pretty skeptical. The clerk agreed with me and the paper was trashed immediately, I didn't even stick it in my purse for fear of contamination. Whew.

Henriette

This scent could be better named IF.
It would be superb IF it were longer lasting instead of being an evanescent ghost appearing and lingering the time of a lighting struck in the sky.
It would be marvellous IF it employed better raw material instead of cheap chemical imitations.
It would be a masterpiece IF it had remained among the great classics instead of being made vile by its sitting at a supermarket counter.
Despite all of this above, I enjoy wearing it, it's an exceptional alternative to Shalimar IF the day requires an easier option than Shalimar.
Yes, IF, that would be the name.

DastardlyGal
DastardlyGal

My Mom used this and one morning before heading off for high school, I put some on and I was hooked. Wore it, along with other stuff, but if I had it wore it lot. After college I was working in a restaurant, and when I wore Emeraude, I would get comments from EVERYONE that I smelled good and what was I wearing. When I wore Chanel or Dior or some other expensive brand, no one gave me a compliment that day. Only when I wore Emeraude. Strange. I could never figure that one out. I love it, but I haven't worn it since I ran out of in the late 90's. Maybe one day, I will go and find some and wear it again. It is such a great fragrance on me. My chemistry seems to take to it quite well.

mereltje
mereltje

I have two vintage Emeraudes, one eau de parfum and an pure perfume. It is a very fine, light, sophisticated smell. And very clean and a little bit soapy. It reminds me a lot of Shalimar, but somehow lighter and a bit more fresh. It doensn't have much staying power on me, but I like it.

I have two versions of this. One is a small bottle from the 60's or 70's, with the pale green liquid and gold crown shaped cap, in Parfum de toilette concentration. The other bottle is a large deco shape and I think its from around 1992, the 90's being the decade in which this was supposed to be horribly reformulated. Honestly, when I wear them side by side, they smell the same to me. Perhaps it was reformulated a bit later in the 90's. Anyway, back to the scent. I've always liked Emeraude very much. It's a very soft scent, like a soft, warm, fuzzy blanket. There is a green limey note at the beginning, but it is never sharp like the citrus notes of today. It is a well blended citrus, mingled with warm vanilla and benzoin. I agree there is a powdery aspect to this, as other reviewers have mentioned. I have not tried any version post 1992, but apparently the new stuff has been reformulated back to be very close to the lovely soft scent it once was.

celebrity89
celebrity89

This is like Shalimar, a wear at home fragrance if you like to pile it on. I think guys like this one because at Christmastime I see them test it then buy it at drugstores. Probably my favorite drugstore cheapie frag.
Except Chantilly!

arrode
arrode

For some reason this perfume smells like baby powder to me. I can't get over the fact that it reminds me of baby powder and therefore I can't really say I like it as a perfume. It's not a terrible smell, but it just reminds me of powdering a baby's bum for some reason.

sarah.lily
sarah.lily

i am so very, very happy with this fragrance! the initial spray is very green, then sweetens into what i would describe as "forest candy". what it settles into is a perfect mix of sweet, fresh and spicy. i feel mysterious yet cozy when i wear it, sexy but not skanky! as a young lady, the reviews made me a little scared to try it--powdery to me is pleasant but can easily go old lady, and shalimar is pure powder on my skin! this however smells timeless, and stands out nicely among trendier perfumes. my skin drinks perfume, and the lasting power on this is far better than most. and to top it all of, the version i am using is the eau de cologne that i found for 5.99 at an outlet store! so very impressed.

nearfantastica
nearfantastica

I ADORE this fragrance..my Mum used to wear this when she and Dad were dating in the early 70s and she wore this when I was s girl..I love its soft scent, a comforting smell growing up, I now wear it myself and find it quite sensual and dare I say, sexy? I agree with a previous reviewer, it is in the same family as Shalimar and Chantilly, but more related to Chantilly I think. It does open with a lime-y burst but it settles very quickly into a spicy-like powder. I detect the vanilla, some bergamont, sanalwood and although patchouli is listed as an ingredient, thank goodness I cannot smell it. It leaves a timeless aura in its wake, it smells classy, an emerald gem in a sea of generic, watered down, overworn scents, It smells way more expensive than it really is. This beauty will always have a place on my neck and in my collection...any young ladies looking for something completely memorable and unlike anything else, choose Emeraude :)

ann.sundwall
ann.sundwall

I love Shalimar, so the fact that so many Emeraude reviews referenced it made me eager to try Emeraude. Obtained a vintage bottle and applied. Unfortunately for me the top notes are very limey...and I really don't like lime. It may be that the green colour of the bottle intensified my sense of lime, but I just couldn't let go of it. The dry down was okay, but I was probably unfairly prejudiced by the initial lime and couldn't enjoy it. I may try it again at some future date, maybe disguising the bottle and colour somehow, but for now, Emeraude is not my Shalimar-lite.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

This is in the same family as Shalimar and Chantilly, but not a triplet! They each smell utterly unique... I myself can wear all three, but they each produce a different mood.

Shalimar feels smoldering and distant, with a haunting, smoky aura. I wouldn't wish to wear it on a hot day or as a mood - lifter.

Chantilly is perfect for warm weather, and it's soft leather note gives it a lace and motorcycle jacket kind of flavor. I DO love to wear it with pleather, which then smells somehow more Real!

But Emeraude - my favorite - can be worn in any weather or mood, and creates a comforting elegance that is impossible to define. The opening seems lime to me, but quickly dies down to a creamy amber with a rich and (barely) vanilla powder. WOW! If only the edp was available...

missymary
missymary

Emeraude proves conclusively that Turin is a comedian (well we all know he praised the ordinary Beyond Paradise and trashed the delightful Amarige) but I am here to say that I know the original Emeraude well, and this reproduction is totally brilliant!!! Oh my Lord I am so glad I did not beleve Turin. It's heaven to have access to such a divine classic at rock-bottom prices.

Emeraude has a hint of almond but it is NOT playdough, it's indeed like a Guerlain,a sweet herbal powdery flanker of Shalimar, but far far more beautiful, one of the most beautiful of all perfumes. It's the End of History for powder classics.

mimila
mimila

I adore this fragrance! heady and dramatic and so plentiful, even in its vintage formulation, which is the only one worth having. I only buy vintage and only perfume or EDP. Truly a miracle of beauty and thrift.

FloraBelle
FloraBelle

When I was five-years-old (1986) my first and favourite school teacher wore a fragrance I never forgot. I seem to remember asking her what it was and remembered she'd said something like "Emerald" and it was a green-smelling scent. So I was happy when I found this as there is a possibility that this is what she wore.

nero77
nero77

To me this seems like a more powdery, "safer" version of Shalimar, certainly not as loud and definately more settled than its rebellious counterpart. I find it quite powdery, mature, pleasant enough and quite inoffensive. This is a review for the vintage version only, which has gold, yellow-like liquid.

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

My mother wore this for years. I remember it being green and slightly masculine. It reminded me of a light masculine aftershave, with a green, powdery floral accord. I read below that some are getting a sweetness and nuttiness, but it must be a reformulation...because Emeraude was touted to be a more assertive scent- more along the advertising lines of Chanel No.19 and Charlie. It's not fruity, sweet, or candy-like. It is slightly masculine, bracing, and elegant. It was perfect for the new "working woman in pants" image of the 1970's who was confidant.

It has bracing citrus notes, bright florals, powder, and to my nose- a dash of vetiver and woods. Enjoy!

sky76sky
sky76sky

Baby powder, play-d'oh, warm skin. Clean & gentle without bowing to the trends of more recent years: no ozionics, no sharp citrus, no soap, no watery blooms. Just a dusting of powder under the pits after a bird bath in the sink with some posh triple milled French soap - very old-school.

If you bottled this up, placed it in some fancy glassware, called it by a seductive name & charged the earth for it, you could probably trick a few perfumistas into thinking that you were testing the latest almond/heliotrope/musk/powder scent from some obscure niche brand.

Emeraude could do with a hefty dose of incense & leather to grab my attention but it is a fab powder bomb for those who like soft, huggy perfumes in the Shalimar vein.

Shadowfroggy
Shadowfroggy

My first impression of Emeraude when I smelled it in a drug store was B.O. and babypowder. If you've ever forgotten to pack deodorant on an overnight trip and ended up using baby powder under your arms as a substitute you know what I'm talking about. I nearly gagged. I thought, "Who would buy this?"

Imagine my surprise when about a month later my friend's mother, a very elegant European lady in her 50s, smelled so good I asked her what perfume she was wearing. I thought I smelled Shalimar but it was a little different. I was expecting to hear something French. I could not believe it was Emeraude! Maybe it was her chemistry, but she could sure pull it off.

I bought a trial size bottle for myself. On me, smells like BO and baby powder. But I have new found respect for the role body chemistry plays and I can see how some one else could buy this, just not me.

seagreen55
seagreen55

My mom's very long-time friend still wears this fragrance and won't wear any other. When she'd come to our house to visit she would leave behind a sofr, lingering scent throughout the house. If she arrived wearing a coat and hung it up in the coat closet, I would sneak in (at 6 years old) and just inhale that wonderful, warm, soft, powdery scent. Now that my mom is gone, if I want a happy memory of the two of them all I have to do is smell Emeraude and all those wonderful memories flood back and put another smile on my face!

pollyjean23
pollyjean23

Crisp, clean Tommy Girl-style fragrances weren't in when scents such as Emeraude debuted. Fragrance technology and many of the synthetics that give us today's super fresh, soapy, clean perfumes weren't even available back then; thus, orientals and florals with powdery and sweet accords tend to be typical for vintage fragrances. So, if one's qualifications for "old lady" scents include orientals and florals with powdery and/or sweet accords, then that's what one will find.

I wonder what will happen years from now. Will young people be like, "Ew! That vintage bottle of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue smells like old hag!!!!!!"?

blueberrymuffin
blueberrymuffin

I`m not a big fan of powdery scents ( couldn`t wear Sublime or Le Dix and can`t stand Shalimar ) but I like this one.It`s very light, stays close to the skin and creates a delicate aura around. If you would like to try some powdery perfume but afraid of being overwhelmed, you might want to give this one a try.

canashar
canashar

This smelled wonderful on my aunt, so I was so excited to try it myself. On my skin, no joke, it smells just like play dough!!! Wow...lesson learned. Some of these fragrances mix with the individual body chemistries and smell VERY different on that person. Good and in this case, not so pleasant.

SandraV

I retried this again and got a different scent than before(see previous review).I went ahead and bought a tiny bottle-I just love what people so blithely refer to as 'old lady scents'.....hate the term:old fashioned is better and suits this to a 't'.It does bring to mind scented cosmetics from the 40s and 50s.Lovely.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

The first 5 minutes of Emeraude are not very nice, patchouli, white flowers and some "green" stuff.

But then suddenly - POWDER HEAVEN comes out.
I`ve been searching high and low for a fragrances like this - with the smell of vintage makeup or baby powder.

Very soft and dreamy scent...

Old fashioned indeed, it`s from 1921!

crikat
crikat

I remember sneaking spritzes of my godmother's Emeraude as a 12 year old and loving the scent. That was nearly 40 years ago and for some reason I was recently moved to purchase a bottle, wondering if it would hold the same fascinating smell...
it did. At first spritz I get spices and wood notes with a brief underlay of citrus, which continue to play with my senses during the drydown, which is a spicy, woody musk. I don't get any vanilla with this. An inexpensive (I dare not call it "cheap")gem by Coty, is Emeraude.

babsyfish
babsyfish

I was ambling about in my local antiques emporium today when I stumbled upon a tiny, half-full bottle of vintage Emeraude. I could not resist dabbing on a bit. I was instantly flown back in time: I was probably 5 or 6, giddy with mischief as I secretly rummaged through my mom's bathroom stash. Then I found the bottle of alarming-green "stinky." I put it on anyway, and hours later, I kept delighting in its wonderfully soft powderiness, feeling like such a grown up lady and as if I had gotten away with some terribly dangerous covert mission. (I'm sure my mother had probably smelled me miles away and knew what I was up to all along!) I honestly had not smelled Emeraude again until today, and I got that same rush of giddy excitement from it. It reminds me of the love-child of Shalimar and Tabu, and while it is definitely "old school," it is far from "old lady." It is a refreshing change of pace in today's light, fruity, and androgynous offerings. Emeraude was made for a so-called "real" woman, and it did not fool around. Sexy but not promiscuous. Rich but not snobbish. Posh, powdery, voluptuous, feminine, yet curiously in control. She wears emerald green velvet lingerie under her librarian's tweed skirt!

Grottola
Grottola

With claims that Emeraude is a bastardized version of her former self from several reviewers online as well as Luca Turin, I had to give it a try. After all, it was technically the first oriental.

So, I stumbled upon the current juice in the crown-looking bottle, the same bottle in which a few Coty classics (unfortunately, no Chypre) have been relaunched. Expecting the worst, I instead found a fragrance that was really not half bad. Misunderstood, quite. I would describe it as a paler, starchier, soapier version of Shalimar (keep in mind; this came before Shalimar). I can't help but think of a clean white hotel at Disneyworld or something. I'm sure the vintage Emeraude is much better, but the current stuff is a decent oriental with a smell that evokes old, old days when everyone had short hair and the sky was bluer.

I wish to investigate Emeraude more, and also hopefully get some Chypre. This could lead to something great.

lemonfreshjoy
lemonfreshjoy

My step-mother wore this. To me, it was always very powdery, yet pleasant, and I like the color. Recently I found one of her mini bottles, so I decided to try it after all these years. I get nothing but "powder" still. Like a aldehyde smell. On the whole, this perfume makes me sentimental, in a good way.

jyladvik
jyladvik

This smells very heavily of amber. I expected it to smell green, because of the name (Emeraude, like an emerald) and color of the box. However, it is very nice and I like wearing it. Its not a heavy floral, overwhelming scent, so if that's what you want, don't wear this.

Sorcerer1001
Sorcerer1001

I am amazed by how much this smells like shalimar. I was expectin it to be a sharper powdery red door type of scent. I suppose it makes perfect sense given the notes in shalimar are almost identical. To me it smells like the modern edp, heavy on the citrus like it shalimar's opening however that seems to be what this scent is about. It is not as heavy or deep in the vanilla as shalimar but has that same ambery oppoponax bridge to the vanilla. The citrus also seems to be a little more sweet and fruit loopy than shalimar's citrus burst. I think i will use this one in place of shalimar for the times when i really want to spray down my sheets with it and other frivolous type applications that i wouldnt want to waste my expensive guerlains on. Great fragrance but it is not contest to guerlain in sillage and projection. On me i personally cant detect emeraude after more than an hour or two but then again it is edc, the only strength i believe it is produced in? Regardless for someone curious about shalimar or who cant afford it this is a cheap but equally expensive smelling alternative. Definitely a safe blind buy if you like orientals

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

This was my grandmother's favorite fragrance most of her life. I remember smelling it from the bottle on her dressing table, when I was little, and thinking it smelled sooo good.

I used it myself in the early seventies for a time. Then after years of not wearing it, I bought a teeny bottle recently. What I remember from the seventies had alot more staying power than the more recent stuff. (Both vintage and new were EDC)

After the brisk, green opening it rapidly settles down into a pleasant baby powder. It's a nice smell.

The appeal for me is the association with my grandmother. Although she was always the lady in her more mature years, I have seen a picture of her from the 1920's: bobbed hair, beestung lips, and rolled stockings...quite the flapper! And, I am sure, she had on her favorite Emeraude.

I wear it every so often for the memories. Pleasant.

ccj36
ccj36

Another one of my high school scents that I still keep on hand. I've been wearing Emeraude the past few days, and I don't think it smells differently from when I used it before. It opens with the citrus, but it dries down quickly to a tart, powdery base. More ladylike than girlish, if that makes sense. Emeraude is a "comfort scent" for me, and I'm glad it's still around.

EK
EK

Oh my, this is the sweetest perfume I've ever had. The citrus opening was so strong, I thought, What?! Is this supposed to be an oriental? Soon the sweetness came out even stronger. First time I found it almost nauseatingly sweet - next time a lot better. It's not the modern gourmand sweetness, you can tell this is old-fashioned stuff (which I like).
Powdery and sweet with an overlay of citrus and green notes that stays - that's unusual, at least on me.
Lasts 5-6 hours, extremely good for a cologne!
It's good, really good. What a bargain.
I don't find it similar to Shalimar at all though.

Scarlette
Scarlette

I love the vintage...I had it and it brings back great memories....but I do not feel inclined to buy it or wear it. Love smelling it, along with vintage L'aimant (I had the dark purple roll on).

Does remind of Chantilly & Shalimar; I think the lemon/musk scent (even though no musk?) is quite prominent in all of them.

Has to be vintage or no dice.

SandraV

I just tested this today for nostalgia's sake as my Mother wore this when I was little plus I was curious about it's comparisons to Shalimar.Strangely enough on me it smells almost exactly like Chantilly:enough so that I didn't buy it as I already have Chantilly.Strange how different people's chemistry can make a scent smell:)

missylynn78
missylynn78

After reading all the reviews here, I may have to try a vintage sample! I remembered the comparisons I'd read on here between Emeraude and Shalimar, and I had already tried Shalimar, so I gave Emeraude a try yesterday at Wal-Mart. At first sniff, it actually reminded me of Jicky (which makes sense, since Jicky was the direct predecessor to Shalimar), then after another minute or so, I could clearly smell the resemblance to Shalimar. The primary differences I noticed with Emeraude were that it seemed a little less powdery and less tarry than Shalimar. Kind of fizzy and citrusy on top, then settling to a sweet-but-not-too- sweet jasmine/powdery/musky scent on me. Overall, I think I like Emeraude a little better, but as I said, I wouldn't mind trying a vintage sample to see how great the original was!

johngreenink
johngreenink

Another nostalgia review for me - a bottle of Emeraude stood on a glass tray in my mother's room with bottles of Je Reviens, White Shoulders, Chanel No. 5, Ambush, Joy, Charlie, L'air de Temps, and others. I have some really sweet memories of these fragrances. I should note that my thoughts about this fragrance are based on a vintage bottle I found on ebay, the eau de cologne, from the 1970's.

What fascinated me the most about Emeraude was the color or, at least the color of it from the bottle I remember, which was a shade of green somewhere between grass and olive. It's a perfume that's both sharp and mellow at the same time; a quality that I like in scents overall.

Emeraude's opening is complex: notes jump out at you like a crazy symphony of sound. It's almost a little jarring because it's simultaneously very sweet and calming. I attribute this to the rosewood and sandalwood in the base - they come to the surface fairly fast, so it's woody and floral at the same time. It's hard to pinpoint this scent, but the general bouquet is warm and sweet, but not too spicy.

It may lack that certain sophistication of more expensive scents, but it's one of the best of the drug store perfumes, if anything for it's timelessness. If you can get some of the vintage scent, go for it; it's really a pleasure in its original formula.

geekweevil
geekweevil

I ordered this untested after reading the reviews here and i quite liked it - I'm fond of classics and 'old lady' perfumes. It's definitely a cheap perfume but i find Coty do very wearable cheap perfume (L'Origin is a favorite of mine too).
However this was enough like Shalimar that i found myself overlooking it and putting on Shalimar instead -so i was never using it. Then i felt sorry for it!

I ended up taking the bottle to work to keep in my desk there, for when i wanted a touch up during the day, and i didn't want to risk keeping an expensive perfume there!
I like this, but it only lasts an hour or so on me.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

This is a review of the vintage Emeraude.

I sprayed one spritz of my sample of vintage Emeraude, and as I walked by my DH, the one who rarely notices anything, he certainly noticed this one - and not in a good way! Can't say I blame him - this fragrance did nothing for me. It was harsh, brash, spicy; like a badly-made Shalimar. The vanilla was overpowering, and the fragrance caught in my throat. Another disappointment for me here. Longevity was very good, sillage very strong, but it was quickly just a synthetic vanilla scent without any redeeming features...overall, a score of 1/5 for me...

malia

I was curious about Emeraude, especially for its historical aspect ;-). Now i am glad i've ordered it and discovered its amazing scent. My bottle is absolutely different then pictured above, much more beautiful and elegant. (thank God!)
The fragrance is just wonderful! Very cozy and comforting, also classy and chique. On my skin it stays a while and developes to something even more delicious. I will definitley order a new bottle of it, may be two ;-)

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Whatever it once may have been, Emeraude is no more. This perfume opens on a sharp, alcohol-tinged, synthetic green note that blasts the nostrils for about a minute, eventually settling into a powdery grandmother's abomination. There are hints of white flowers and peach, but all cloaked in a heavy chemical tone. Truly awful, and not even worth the discount drugstore price.

greengrl

This was on my test list after so many people spoke highly of it. I picked it up on my next visit to the drug store and couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately I hated the way it smelled on me and washed it off after 30 minutes. It was too green and harsh for me. I decided to give it another try just recently and came to the same conclusion. I will give others the benefit of the doubt and assume that what I picked up was a re-formulated version and that the original smells much better.

krissycat
krissycat

I do not like this fragrance.. infact I've heard that Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights smells a bit like this scent but I can wear Fancy Nights and understand its appeal, I don't understand this fragrance. I do believe this is a classic though. My mother's fragrance collection consists of fragrances as this one, Shalimar and Chanel Number 5.. and her and my preferences are very very different. This is indeed one of her faves and I'm sure if she were to write a review on this she would give it five stars. Ofcourse she has a lot of good memories surrounding fragrances as these, and I do believe that if you have good memories surrounding any fragrance it adds to their appeal to you. I am a gourmand lover so it doesn't surprise me that I don't enjoy this one. It is very strong and is very original for its kind.

Eos
Eos

I don't know how this smells on other people, but unfortunately on me this smells like a whole snowdrift of synthetic florally powder. The only other note I get is the citrus in the opening. Even in the dry down I don't get any of the listed notes of patchouli, sandalwood, opoponax, or amber. A disappointment.

arlie27
arlie27

I wore this and Ambush in the early '60's. My signature.

A couple of years ago I was in touch with an old boyfriend who said to me "I remember you wore Emeraude"!! I could not believe he remembered that. WOW!

Lifesaver0
Lifesaver0

I remember my mother using this perfume in the mid to late 1970's as it was one of her favorites in what I call the "drugstore" perfumes (Chantilly, Windsong the others). In the late 80's I worked with a woman who equated the smell of Shalimar with Emeraude as being that of a dirty blouse.....she was right!!! Maybe it was that musty smell that really got to me, but not one of my favorite recollections at all.

sheridanellis
sheridanellis

WOW! I scored a bottle of this for (and I am not kidding here) .75 cents at Walmart a few weeks ago. It was a smaller sized bottle that I assume was left over from holiday sales. I've smelled this before, and my sister wore this for years when she was in high-school and she pulled it off well.
There is something so moody about this perfume. It doesn't behave well on my skin, but I wish it would because I love the idea of it! I love Shalimar & Chantilly as well, and I think they are all similar in that basic powdery way (though in different catagories, for sure). I don't really like the way those smell on myself either. Sigh. Oh well, it is worth sniffing the bottle when I want to smell something divine and angelic! I would wear this with Johnson & Johnson's classic baby lotion for more lasting power if wanted to extend the life of the cologne and enhance that powdery goodness. :)

Vamy69
Vamy69

This perfume smelled alot like lime when I first sprayed it....must have been the lemon note in it although it did not smell like lemon at all to me but lime. After I had it on for about 20 minutes the powdery smell started to take hold and the limey smell totally disappeared. To me this smells alot like Shalimar only more gentle and light. Its ok nothing that I would race out to buy but if you are into Shalimar and would like something a little lighter/fruiter than Shalimar then this would be perfect for you. It also reminds me of Lutece & Chantilly a bit too. Not bad overall.

charlottesmom
charlottesmom

I used to wear and love Emeraude in the early 80's when I was a teen. I don't know when it was reformulated but I sprayed it on at the drugstore this morning and it smelled exactly like it did in my teen years. To me it smells like Shalimar light, I like Shalimar and used to wear that also but now I can't it's too strong. Emeraude might be a favorite again and it seems to last quite a while on me.

Update: Cancel this ever becoming a favorite again, my sister in law dowsed herself in it while we were on vacation and it kind of turned me off from ever getting another bottle of it, there are so many other perfumes out there that I love more than Emeraude, she can have it.

Sparks
Sparks

Edited to add...Vintage Emeraude is available, very reasonable and not that hard to obtain. Don't buy the nasty stuff that's available at the drugstore. Emeraude is what started me on the Perfume Trail 40 years ago. My mother had a bottle hidden for special occasions that I think I used more of than she did. Since then I have always worn perfume, sometimes only one scent for a long while (Loulou), or more often, a rotation of scents. For the last, several years, I sampled Emeraude whenever I got the chance to do so...always, it was awful. A pallid, cheap imitation of what used to be a beautiful thing. Now, I've found ways to get my little hands on vintage Emeraude, and it is a beautiful, wondrous thing once more. It will never get away from me again.

ginfig
ginfig

Not sure why, but this perfume can make me sick to the point of vomiting. Judging from the individual ingredients, it sounds fine, but there must be something in there that hits me in very much the wrong way. From the very first, I have been unable to tolerate being around anyone wearing it. I do love the name though, and since it looks from the other reviews as though there are plenty of fans out there, one less shouldn't be missed.

Kiku
Kiku

Introduced in 1921, Emeraude was the first oriental fragrance. Shalimar, Tabu, and so many others were said to be Emeraude with "add ins". If you remember vintage Emeraude you know it was one of the most divine scents ever. The perfume was reformulated to disastrous results: loud, sharp, and cheaply synthetic. It seems to have been reformulated again and the result is much closer to the original. The opening has the original lemon and orange notes. The heart is white flowers. The base soft, powdery vanilla and sandalwood. Not quite vintage but close enough to be the stuff of dreams. Emeraude is often compared to Shalimar and usually unfavorably. I don't know why. Emeraude is the superior scent: softer, more subtle, clear, and complex. If nothing else it lacks that smoky/turpentine smell of Shalimar.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I bought a small, .125 oz sample off ebay, listed as 'vintage'. AFter reading the reviews below I"m sure that was an honest description, because I really like this (and it seems the current formulation is not getting the love.)

This is a green for those who, like me, hate that darn hairspray note that so often comes with this genre. Emeraude is smooooth, just like the Santana song. I"m surprised at this, because rosewood is one of my favorite notes and this is a raspy, dry wood. Here it is mellow, as if covered with high quality shellac.

I also don't get a bitter citrus blast on opening; the florals are present immediately. (But you will detect lemon.)

Lasting power is short lived. Quality (vintage) is stellar. Good scent!

I've got vintage Shalimar EdC, Shalimar Light, and the Parfum de Toilette version of this (Imperial Decanter bottle). This is lighter than Shalimar Light and not as abrasive as Shalimar EdC. There is a sharp greenish note kicking around that I'm not sure I like, but it's not something that ruins it. In fact, I may grow to like it (only wore it once). There is also an animalic note that is a bit different from any other I've smelled, but the closest thing I can think of is Habit Rouge. Perhaps it is the combination of orange blossom and "dirty" jasmine. There's also a touch of something camphorous, which is presumably the patchouli. Otherwise, it's quite nice and lasts well, with good projection/"sillage" once you get to the drydown. My guess is that the new formulation is really bad, from what I've read here and elsewhere online.

this was a favorite of mine long ago, today, not so much. it defintely is green, but somehow this stays over powering on me. i'd rather smell it in the bottle now.

gazelle
gazelle

I did not know that Emeraude had been reformulated when I bought a bottle two years ago. I didn't know about Fragrantica then either. I thought my bottle of Emeraude was weaker and more diluted, cologne versus perfume, but it would eventually settle into what I remembered from the late 60's. Not really. Vintage is like eating creamiest vanilla ice cream made with vanilla beans and richest cream versus mellorin.

larali
larali

This was staring at me for two weeks and I finally caved and bought it. It's classic in the sense that someone you knew has worn it. Most likely a teacher or an aunt. It's not what I expected, though. Very powdery, and that's not a bad thing. It smells rather clean and nice. I am not sure I will wear it regularly but I may actually use it on my toddler girls. It smells like a clean baby!

Malegria
Malegria

I am not sure what concentration I am reviewing. I got my bottle used from the E-bay, it is a small rectangular bottle with a gold metallic rectangular cap, in a box that you can sign as a gift (it says: From... and To:... - how lovely!) It says Perfume Spray on the bottle, so I assume it is at least EDP.

I am in love. I found it an absolute beauty - from the divine first flowery accord, where citruses (especially the orange peel) are serving as chorus girls and know their place - to the gorgeous camphor-like heart with subtle notes of chest rub - and finally, to a smooth as silk, rich ambery base with a generous helping of oppoponax. I may be wrong, but I feel frankincense and myrrh as well. Emeraude does not feel heavy or old fashioned; it is not a scent for the "chosen ones"( the equally complex and bright Private Collection by EL makes me feel like 21 century girls are not welcome), instead, it is warm and welcoming AND sexy.What a gem! I have to try the modern version...if it is even remotely close to this little treasure I can`t let go of for several hours now, I am afraid I may be hooked for the rest of my life, and it is possible that my quest for a signature scent is over.

vtothek
vtothek

I should point out I've only tried the reformulation that's currently in stores, wish I could've tried the original.

Emeraude is very interesting, it's a very spicy citrus scent. I had a knee jerk reaction because modern perfumery has lead us to believe these are masculine smells, but I still enjoyed the way they overlapped in this perfume. Unfortunately the longevity is very poor in this scent, as it was gone from my wrist in an hour. At first it stayed on the top notes for about half and hour before settling in to a more powdery base, then poof, it was gone.

While I like it, it is a bit masculine for me and too short lived, so I think I'll pass on buying it. However, I am glad I experienced it. Maybe a vintage version would be much better?

cloibne
cloibne

If you're a lady like me who smells better in men's and aldehydes, this review may apply to you more.

Emeraude,like most Coty's, is too powdery for me and it doesn't have a note shining through which I prefer, it doesn't even smell like flowers, just perfume.
However, it isn't too strong and is a nice scent.
I don't like to smell like perfume, though so, here's how I wear it.

Summer heat does not compliment this scent, I don't think. I wear it in the winter, maybe partly because of the middle aged parishoners who used to wear it to my childhood midnight mass :)

I hold the atomizer in the article of clothing I'll be wearing and spray, then daub a drop of warm water on top and rub the fabric together,then let it dry while I shower....here's the cool part:
When I wear Emeraude, the soap I use is hazelnut, triple milled so the clean nutty green slightly florid soap smell nicely compliments Emeraude,brightening it. I was inspired one winter morning when the perfume wafted up as I prepared my hot Gianduja (italian hazlenut or other nuts,chocolate and, as a drink, hot milk).
I hope this was inspirational :)Happy wafting!

Olfactarama
Olfactarama

If you go for the vintage (which I highly recommend) the best version is the "Parfum de Toilette" with the crown-shaped goldtone cap.

Believe it or not, this scent came before Shalimar!

guest_misscindy
guest_misscindy

I LOVE Emeraude! It has been my favorite for years now. But I can't find it in any stores in my area. Bummed. So, I guess I'll buy it here!

guest_K
guest_K

my grandmother's mom named this :)

AgentSteph
AgentSteph

After hours of browsing on this site, I think I've found what I was looking for: an affordable alternative to Shalimar. I can't believe I've never heard of this stuff?!? I'll check back in with a formal review.

So how can I track down a bottle of the "vintage" stuff?

Thanks again, this forum rocks!

deannab10
deannab10

I must agree with some of the other reviewers. This does not smell the same as the original. I bought some at the drugstore hoping for that soft romantic scent I remember my mom wearing back in the seventies...it was not even close. Yuck to the cheap reformulation.

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

Reminds me of my mother... whenever I want to be reminded of her with scent, this is it! She past away a long time ago, but Emeraude always takes me back to her.

I keep two vintages bottles on my dresser in her memory.

jujy54
jujy54

I became curious since so many mention Shalimar which I love. Well, I'm not smelling Shalimar at all! I'm smelling an overdose of vetiver, so Emeraude hits me with an aftershave quality. This from a test spray @ Walgreen's. Not for me.

i have 4 kids and shalimar smells like a babies dirty diaper while to me emeruade smells romantic and so french

guest_Debbiecup
guest_Debbiecup

love emeraude very soft romantic feminie perfume my ultimate favorite besides sand and sable another coty fragrance.I find perfumes made by coty are best and more romantic than most

janudy
janudy

I've only worn the vintage Emeraude (which I own 4 bottles of ::Blush::). Yeah--I love the stuff. The lemony citrus opening and vanilla combo is so comforting to me that I often wear it before going to bed. It's one of those scents that I don't just sniff at--I take big, deep gulping breaths of it. I've also smelled Shalimar, but that was too dirty for me (lemon skankypants). I agree with Mals86--Shalimar is more sexy than Emeraude. And you can still get cheap vintage bottles online, assuming I don't buy them all ;)

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

Emeraude has been around so long that I think they found a bottle of it in King Tut's tomb. When you first apply it it's like this exotic green spicey stuff but smells a little like you're applying Vicks cough syrup with spice to your skin. If you wait a few minutes it dries down to a typical Coty powdery scent with Oriental tones. Not so bad at all. The only thing is that everybodies Grandma wore this and it might be associated with older ladies.
It has been compared with Shalimar and yes, it does have that mysterious Oriental thing like Shalimar. Emeraude can be purchased at any discount store for a very reasonable price. However I think the vintage smells better than the new. I have a vintage bottle of it and I think either the vintage smells better or maybe it ferments over time and improves with age.

Just a note, back in the 1960s and 70s Emeraude was marketed with the slogan
"Want him to be more a of man, try being more of a woman."

This is such a classic oriental, I really love it!!

deeannek
deeannek

My grandma wore Emeraude and I loved it on her. One of my favorite moments with my grandma was the night of my Junior prom. She insisted that I stop by with my date so she could take pictures and I was happy to do it. I was very close to my grandma ( sorry I know I should say grandmother but I never called her that-it didn't feel right) Anyway, grandma had a surprise for me. She gave me a cameo choker to wear to prom-and it worked really well with my gunnisak brand dress. These dresses were popular in the 60's and 70's. They were victorian/hippy style dress. She put the cameo on me and noticed I wasn't wearing any perfume-she grabbed her bottle of emeraude and sprayed me down. I thought I would die! The stuff was so strong and just smelled aweful to me at first but after a few minutes it was tolerable. That is the first and last time I tried Emeraude and that was 1978-I think maybe I should buy a bottle in memory of my grandma. Who knows I might even like it.

I agree with the reviewers who find wafts of SHALIMAR in EMERAUDE, a bottle of which is available nearly anywhere now for less than the price of a sandwich. The similarity is the composite note that evokes images of blue cheese if over applied. Not gorgonzola, not roquefort, but Danish blue cheese.

EMERAUDE is not for me--at least not this bottle--but neither is SHALIMAR, if the truth be told. And to be honest, I find it difficult to believe that the ubiquitous bottles of SHALIMAR which I have seen all over drugstores, right next to the Coty offerings, are any less reformulated than is EMERAUDE. Guerlain decided for some reason to mass market SHALIMAR, and I do not believe that all of those Walgreens and CVS bottles can actually contain the same composition as the original. Plus, the original EMERAUDE came first, in 1921. SHALIMAR appeared in 1925.

So, IMNSHO, if you like EMERAUDE, you should wear her proudly and with reckless abandon!

I just received my vintage bottle today and can't even comprehend that I never wore it in the 60's or 70's. I think at that time I thought it was too high and mighty for drug store perfumes. The reformalted version is absolutely nothing like the vinatge, doesn't even smell like Emeraude. I love the citrus top notes right out of the bottle and the sweet dusky drydown. What a work of art. Why? Why? Why change a good thing??Dare I say, I might like it better than my vintage Bal a Versailles??

Vignette
Vignette

I remember smelling this perfume in a department store in the seventies and recognizing it from somewhere long long ago. Apparently our nanny used to keep a small phial of it in her starched overall pocket and after bathing my two sisters and I she would dab a little behind our ears. So evocative and really a classic beautiful scent.

One of my favorite sentimental fragrances. Soft, powdery orange blossoms with clear green notes. Just lovely. I agree with Cellogirl that it is very like Shalimar, though I'd say more in feeling than acutal scent. Shalimar is more of a heavily vanilla powdery amber with lemon notes, whereas this wears on me as soft florals with green citrus. It's also dirt cheap and hasn't changed significantly in scent in the last 30 years, though I can't speak for Emeraude before that. Classic and loved.

An old style powdery comfort fragrance with soft lilting citrus. I always imagine it to be lime because of the color of the juice, but the notes list lemon. It's the epitome of feminine. A lovely floral without heaviness, powdery without smelling like baby powder or the commonly-termed 'old lady' note, calm and beautiful. It's also dirt cheap, easy to acquire and lasts pretty long in the EdC form, which is the most readily available. This will always be a favorite.

Tala
Tala

I love that clean baby powder smell. Some antiperspirants have that clean baby powder smell and this is it. My bottle of Shalimar is finished and they had the holiday gift packages of Emeraude,in wallmart at a great price. 19$ for 100ml versus 90$ for a 100ml of Shalimar. It is a winner. I like it more than Shalimar which was a bit thick and smokey.

yzqrvpx
yzqrvpx

This fragrance is a "Green" Oriental to me. I used this back in high school (late 70s) and mostly during the winter months. It’s “one of a kind” fragrance I don’t think its perfection can been duplicated even by those laa-dee-dah niche perfumeries. It has a sharp and somewhat bitter bergamot and tangy green citrus top note. Its strength at the beginning can be off-putting because it smells so GREEN but it quickly moves to a mild oriental floral suppleness. The jasmine and rosewood are prominent in the first half of dry down, and it has a unique spicy floral accord which is unlike any oriental I’ve experience since wearing this so many years ago. The opoponax, patchouli, and sandalwood in the basenotes bring in a comforting woody experience. Even with the generous amount of woodnotes, amber and tartness within it, it does not seem at all masculine – it is a heady feminine scent and will not be tamed! To this day it still conjures up delightful winter-time memories. Emeraude (vintage only) is a superior fragrance and one everyone should experience. It’s truly an “Emerald” in perfumery.

pansylady
pansylady

My room-mate in nursing school had a huge bottle of this- it must have held half a pint-
I found it heavy and strange, but thought the giant emerald shape was kinda cool-

9154mf
9154mf

When I first sprayed this it was a cloud of powdery citrus and I thought, Oh dear Im going to have to wash this off! Very quickly though, it softens down into a lovely, vanillic powdery oriental. Half an hour later it has softened so much that I have to put nose to wrist to smell it (i wish it had better staying power) but it is still there nonetheless. The citrus notes have disappeared (they hardly stayed for long anyway, just the initial spray) and all I can smell now are the base notes of amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin and vanilla. With a combination of such powerful base notes one would think it would be an overpowering oriental stink-bomb but they are very soft. Almost too soft for me. I hear that the original version is alot stronger and stays on longer, so if you want to buy perhaps try to find that version. I have a Cologne spray so that's probably the EDT, hence the poor staying power. However I am glad to have had opportunity to try this, I love vanilla and orientals and I will wear this until it runs out but not sure if I'll be purchasing again.

Idzan Ismail
Idzan Ismail

Greetings from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Finally I found my long-ago favorite perfume.
I have used Shalimar and Bal Versaille which smells the same. but nothing compares to Emeraude.
It has long been discontinued in my country.
I will buy it when I visit my daughter studying at the University of Chicago.
I also love Windsong, Tabu by Dana and Prince Matchabelli.
Are they also still available in the States?
Do they still sell Coty Airspun powder?
It's my mum and my favorite too.
When I read novels on small town American lives, these perfumes always fetured in the stories.

shelpen
shelpen

This is my new Shalimar!
I love Guerlain Shalimar in theory, but even EDT has a bit too much power for me.
This one fits the bill perfectly (pun intended): it has all the key notes of Shalimar (bergamot-wood-patchouli-vanilla) without being too much "in your face".
And the price is ridiculous!
Highly recommend.

mrolfhus

This was a favorite of mine in high school (early 80s). Tried it again for the giggles value. It makes me sad--it isn't just that the smell is different, it's that it is bad . . . I want to find a vintage bottle and compare.

celebrity79
celebrity79

Yes, I agree it's a like a primitive version of Shalimar. But it's purer and hasn't the industrial chemical sidenote. I detested these two fragrances a child, but now I huff them! There's nothing better.

Mals86
Mals86

I owned a bottle of this in the 80's and loved it. Now, I understand, the new bottles available for sale are utter dreck - a synthetic mess.

But I just won an auction for VINTAGE (possibly 70's? certainly older than my 80's rectangular bottle with the white plastic top) Emeraude parfum de toilette, and it came in the mail today. It smells just as gorgeous as I remember, and even softer, without a hint of sharpness. The citrus in the top is very mellow, like marmalade or liqueur, and it flows lazily into the floral heart, which in this vintage formulation seems composed of natural jasmine, rather than the slightly-screechy synthetic that I remember. The benzoin/vanilla base permeates throughout the entire experience, as plush as Scarlett O'Hara's velvet-curtain dress. The fragrance seems designed to nestle in cleavage and behind ears, perfectly feminine.

I disagree with those of you who feel that Emeraude is a version of Shalimar. It may be that since I actually wore Emeraude for a few years and have a whole set of memories associated with it, and since I've never regularly worn Shalimar, I see the differences more than the similarities. True, they're both orientals with vanillic bases and citrus up top - but to me, Emeraude smells romantic while Shalimar smells sexual. Shalimar is genius in its own way, and possibly made with better raw materials, but I prefer the soft loveliness of Emeraude. Of all the fragrances I've ever worn, Emeraude is the most "me."

I would AVOID the currently-available stuff and go straight for the vintage on ebay.

F_A
F_A

I totally agree that this fragrance is a very close relative of Guerlain's Shalimar. Their bases are almost identical, just Emeraude is a little lighter, less sweet and it does not cause me headache like Shalimar. A really great fragrance!

P.S. This review is for the vintage Emeraude:)

Cellogirl
Cellogirl

This is a really pretty scent that smells almost identical to "Shalimar" by Guerlain, for about 1/10th the price.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

I was intrigued by the lime color and long history of this scent, so I bought it- and realized it was very familiar! Someone from my past wore this, and I instantly recognized it. I love the citrus, especially the lime in the topnotes, and the warm, powdery drydown is lovely. An oldie, but a goody- it is better than it's price would suggest.

Carmel
Carmel

Beauty Boutique sells Coty perfumes in vintage-reproduction bottles, check it out! Their prices are good too.

girlsrideharleys2
girlsrideharleys2

LOVE this stuff. I'm not ashamed that its a 'Drugstore' perfume either. The women in my family wore this and it brings back great memories. This often gets compared to Shalimar but, this is way better in my opinion. To me, Shalimar smells like a band-aid thats been dusted with baby powder. I love wearing this in the fall/winter. Would love to have a vintage bottle of this.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Coty Emeraude fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Coty Emeraude, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Emeraude by Coty. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Emeraude by Coty represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.