Designers » C » Floral « Groups

L`Origan Coty for women

L`Origan Coty for women
dislike

L`Origan Coty for women Pictures L`Origan Coty for women Pictures L`Origan Coty for women Pictures L`Origan Coty for women Pictures

L`Origan by Coty is a floral fragrance for women combined of natural and very progressive for that time synthetic materials. Francois Coty created it in 1905.

Sweet floral notes are combined with spicy and powdery woody accords, its composition includes new materials for that time as coumarine, ionones (sweet powdery and woody violet accord), vanillin, etc.

Bergamot Orange Coriander Pepper Peach

Escada Margaretha Ley
Vanderbilt

L`Origan Fragrance Reviews

drugstore classics

If L'Origan is a gorgeous Golden Orange, then L'Heure Bleue is Blue Velvet.

I think of them as colors, because to me that perfectly defines their differences.

L'Origan is Sunny, Warm, Vibrant, and Spicy.

And L'Heure Bleue? Mysterious, Melancholy, and Velvety.

Neither is a substitute for the other, and both are wonders of balance and construction. After several years of intensive perfume sniffing, I can truly say they are among the best quality scents I've tested!

Fragrances like these are for the lucky ones who will open their arms to vintage adventure and in so doing find themselves surrounded by ( ahhhhh! ) BEAUTY.

Parfumee
Parfumee

L'ORIGAN

COTY

GROUP: ORIENTAL

NOTES: Bergamot Orange Coriander Pepper Peach Nutmeg Spices Jasmine Violet Rose Ylang Ylang African Orange Flower Benzoin Cedar Incense Musk Sandalwood Vanilla Civet Coumarin

SILLAGE: Moderate Radiates Within 6 Feet

LONGEVITY: Very long lasting 6 to 12 hours

REMINDS ME OF: SHALIMAR VICKY TIEL VENUS

THE GOLDEN ONE

Long before Shalimar, L'Origan was the Oriental fragrance people reached for in the perfume department stores. This was released in 1905-1906. This was advertised as a spices from the Orient fragrance not a flowers from the Orient. It has ingredients found in Orientals, namely jasmine sandalwood and civet. These notes are clearly there and very pronounced. The jasmine appears after the citrusy opening which is very reminiscent of Shalimar. The scent develops into mainly a spicy aromatic scent of spices. I can detect the coriander nutmeg and pepper. There are a few fruity scents the peach is there to accompany the citrus but it's not a fruity nor floral fruity. The rose and jasmine combination is nice but it's also not very flower. The coumarin is also very strong. A unisex fragrance as it's mostly spices and woods (cedar wood sandalwood) and men can easily wear this as well as women. This is also very musky. It's woodsy and musky, spicy, smoky (incense). It really is a luxurious and beautiful spicy Oriental which unfortunately does not get a lot of attention not even from vintage lovers. This is an excellent fragrance and is high on my list of great classics like Shalimar. If you liked Shalimar chances are you'll like this one. They are not the same scent but can easily wear like the same category of perfume. Absolutely gorgeous Oriental.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

1905 vintage L'Origan was a first of it's kind. Fragrances of that period were mostly floral for women or tobacco scented for men but this was a horse of a different color. This was a scent of aromatic spices from the Orient. However it's not a traditional Oriental and it predates the Oriental craze which reached it's peak when Emeraude and Shalimar were launched. This scent evokes the back of a restaurant where meals are prepared. This is like a delicious spicy dinner. I have the cologne spray from the 80's which follows the original formula closely. It begins with citrus but it's not very big on citrus as it quickly turns into a scent of coriander, pepper and nutmeg. The floral heart appears to be big but the only flowers I detected was rose, ylang-ylang and a big jasmine. Of the base notes as the fragrance starts to dry down it becomes musky because the original has authentic civet. The 80's formulation is musky too but not heavy with musk. This wears like an evening cologne, decidedly unisex and in fact more on the masculine side than on the feminine side. This is in the simplest terms a spicy musk cologne. I have a male friend that wears it and sprays it on himself when he goes out on dates and wears suits. This frag is selling at a cheap price on Amazon.com but the scent is very nice if you like this kind of spicy gourmand scent. It is oddly enough a gourmand long before anyone was even classifying fragrances as gourmand. Spicy, sultry, peppery and very attractive fragrance.

aspirina
aspirina

This is an oriental scent, really spicy and sultry. Powdery, a little bit old fashioned but in the best possible way!a powdery bomb of benzoin, neroli, vanilla, orange rind and spices..all the nice yummy christmas desserts spices, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg! yummy stuff. Weird that this little gem doesn't get more attention.

zyby
zyby

L'ORIGAN smells very much like vintage face powder in the days before unscented cosmetics became the norm. It brings up childhood memories of going to department stores with my mom and walking past the fancy cosmetics counters. Although L'ORIGAN has this vintage type of scent, it's one that's old enough and unusual enough these days that it seems new again.

L'ORIGAN is a warm and soft scent, with subtle notes of spices and flowers. I prefer to wear this in cold weather. For some reason, when the weather is hot, the subtle notes disappear for me and I just smell powder. Longevity is several hours and then a few more as a skin-scent. (I have the modern version.)

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

1905. Coty. Discontinued? Not one most of the young ones are going to buy. Unless, you are a perfume enthusiast who sees beyond current trends and savors a historical perspective. No problem with Coty or drugstore perfumes. This one is a little steal. Fragrant and soft after an initial power burst. From times when the living wasn't easy. Mystery me this? Is discontinued? I have L'aimant, too, same issue .. also Spectacular by Joan Collins. Bottles must be 5 years old, right? Maybe 15+? Perfume has a life span that so many fret with over losing their beloveds on the shelf. Personally, had to let go of that. Don't want to wear the whole bottle anyway. Just enough that it is there .. even if it turns color and is unwearable. But. Still a mystery how somethings so old and discontinued do not seem subject to the expiration fact. Am just amazed at a perfume surviving in any way for well over 100 years. That is reason enough to have a bottle.

emt1986
emt1986

Spices, orange, and powder, without being too sweet... what's not to love? It really does smell divine. I definitely get a subtle but distinct oregano note, and it's not weird at all. Like, knowing what oregano smells like in cooking, it's not something I'd have imagined wanting to smell on myself, but my desire to try this legend (and its super affordable price tag) outweighed my reservations, and I'm so glad because it just WORKS somehow. It's a nice, soft scent that manages to stick around for a decent amount of time, making it perfect for work or whenever you're going to be around a scent-sensitive person. It would also be a perfect way to try a classic fragrance if you're worried about older perfumes being overwhelming.

gazelle

I thought I might be the only one to think L'Heure Bleue smelled like L'Origan with my chemistry. At least 10 others have the same experience. I finally treated my self to the Guerlain expecting --what? I don't know, except it was very affordable blind buy last month. Surprise, surprise.
L'Origan IMO is a lush evening scent, maybe going over the top with spices, but still, it brings memories of my mother's only perfume. Guerlain's is lighter, easier to wear during day. Both remind me of a lady's boudour in 20's and 30's movies. Both are classic and equally welcomed in my collection.

Cubby

1905 L'Origan. I will always love it. My grandmother wore it exclusively..perhaps before she married in 1933 or right after. Her whole house smelled of this heady fragrance. She even used the airspun powder on her face.

When my mama was suffering from lack of smell and deteriorating Alzheimer's-like dementia, I found a bottle online (easy to find almost anywhere online) and hid it in her nursing home room. A place she required for herself 30 years ago. When I was there, I sprayed this on her, and the CNAs and nurses went wild over the scent, which is why I had to hide it. It developed on her just like it did on her mother. I still have her bottle, since she relocated to Heaven Christmas Eve 2014. I'm going right now to spray it on. Maybe the appropriate clothing would hold the scent.

If only I could've smelled it back in the early 20th century. I can only imagine it's absolute yumminess. I'm sure the scent was stronger and lasted longer. The cologne spray produced today smells delicious but doesn't last long on the skin. I'm so thankful it's still produced.

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

Ja, it means origano and I'm sure it's in there because I can smell it clearly in topnotes toghether with pepper, coriander, nutmeg, little clove and some more green fresh stuff ( basil minth rosemarin? ).
This is no way 'category flower' but certainly oriental or woody/oriental, the flowers add just lightness and sweetness to the composition and that is a beauty.
A demi-signature and prefere it to L'HB certainly for everyday use cause that stuff broke my bank.
It's fresher and spicier then L'HB and less powdery because there's no iris and heliotrope is my guess.
I won't say more and refer to my 'signature: sometimes you better be quiet after there are no words left'

lemonzest
lemonzest

L'Origan smells so beautiful. Warm, spicy, yet feminine. It is exactly Coty Airspun powder, but clearer since no talc is in the air.
L'Origan lasts a very long time, yet it is not strong and overbearing. There are not many colognes you can say that about. When I spray it on my clothes, it has a balance, but when I wear it on my skin, the coriander and pepper stand out more, which I love.
It's downright cheap on Amazon, so cheap it's sold as an add-on. Truly a steal, as it's far lovelier than many more expensive colognes.
I love how familiar yet unusual L'Origan smells.
Why the name? Doesn't it mean oregano? Is there another meaning or idiom here?

goldeneraglamour
goldeneraglamour

Everyone talks about the vintage but I bought the modern cologne for a steal. It really is the scent of the famous Airspun powder. Definitely a precursor to L’Heure Bleue, but lacks the heavy sweet vanilla and heliotrope notes that help define LHB. Spicy, powdery, and old-fashioned but classic. A nice vintage-y elegant scent, especially for the price.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Vintage 1970's EDT: This begins intensely with spices followed by nutmeg and orange. It fades quickly leaving behind trails of wood, pepper, incense, and a wee bit of rose and violet.

This is not dark or overbearing but rather a light and wonderfully exciting and exhilarating fragrance. It does remind me somewhat of L'Heure Bleue but the drydown also is reminiscent of my reformulated Narcisse Noir.

Too bad it has poor longevity, I doused myself in this but it didn't seem to last more than a couple of hours. I wish it lasted longer.

pamelapuffadder
pamelapuffadder

I managed to snag a small 1940s bottle of L'Orian perfume. It is devine. I love far more than Guerlain Heure Bleau (which does smell like lovely pencil shavings). This is a truly a vintage classic, and a shame to have been cheapened in later years, Seems to me like a fine perfume. I think it stands up to any perfume from the turn of the century. Now That I Have this small bottle I am forever doomed to haunt ebay looking for more at a reasonable price.

Now I am going to try the 1950s and 1960s versions of EDT.

juji
juji

I would adore trying this one! Will have to snoop around and see what's out there for sample or purchase! Thanks for all of your reviews!

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Incense, nutmeg, spices and a hefty dose of benzoin lead a merry dance with rose, jasmine and a cloud of civet in the background, this is an unusual scent, there is something antique like about it, yet still wearable today, brings to mind a lady at the turn of the century, dressed in a long chantung silk dress adorned with lace, her hair in a soft bun, sitting in front of a Venetian mirror in her bedroom applying this perfume... Vintage yet still relevant thanks to it's timeless composition! This is a must for lovers of deep, resinous, smoky, woody scents with a timeless quality and vibe.

henri345que
henri345que

SOTD Coty L'Origan. The perfumes tell through its aromas the mankind history and smelling Coty L'Origan i got thinking why there isn't any world heritage rule for historical important fragrances that are truly art works, preventing companies like Coty to cheapen it and, this way, destroying what was beautiful and important. With already 110 years, it's a proof for me that the real luxury and beauty is timeless: it migh look like part of another age, but it still magnificent in its perfect proportions. There are histories that relate Coty L'Origan to both L'Heure Blue and Apres L'Ondee, but L'Origan has its own beauty and i question if the three fragrances weren't influenced by the new and fascinating synthetic molecules available to the perfumers at that time: the sweet, purple, iris and violet like aroma of the methyl ionones, the vanillin sweetness,the almondy, cherry-like smell of heliotropin and coumarin, the sober woodiness of vetiveryl acetate and the animalic essence substitutes like civet and nitromusks. From those, you can see that the heliotropin has an important role on L'Origan, which approximate it from Apres L'Ondee.Still, the execution here is far from the delicate and impressionist style of this major work from Guerlain, being close to L'Heure Bleu for the intensity and the main role that orange flower and clove has on both fragrances. Further, L'Origan distingues itself for having a much intenser spicy and oily clove aura and a secondary use of the bittersweet orange flower aroma that some neroli accords have. Also, the earthiness of L'Heure Bleue is not present here in great evidence, shifting the accord axis into the direction of vanillin and coumarin, with a subtle rose and jasmine touch to give the idea a floral hue.L'Origan base is creamy, of woody nuances and with a musck that complements the slightly sophisticated powdery aura of its idea. L'Origan is a perfect blend of synthetic and natural essences, an exemple of that both, when used together, produce masterpieces. It's simply a wonderful perfume that a fragrance lover should know at least for its historical relevance.

Henriette
Henriette

I know nothing of the vintage L'Origan (and I have promised myself to never again going back trying to find what's lost forever, i.e. the scents I used to love long long ago - with a few exceptions of course, where reformulations have proved not so bad) while I love chasing the old scents that I never tried in the past.
This way I can make no comparison and I will be safe from delusion.
A bit naif, maybe, but why not?

So my review refers to the current bottle, the same portrayed on this page.

Spices, yes, many spices and cloves. Oriental in a way much distant to (the old) Opium and closer to (the old) Bellodgia.
The only resemblance to L'Heure Bleue in my opinion lies on the fact that they two share the feeling of their time, the beginning of the XXth century and what women wore in those days.
It's a very classy scent, normally I do not love spices and scents so spicy, but this L'Origan has conquered me.
I love its being so multilayered: fruits, flowers, woods, resins mingle together and pay hommage to the spices in turn.
Do not think that because it is cheap it's a trashy scent, all the contrary.

And, thanks to its being so cheap, I would say that I see no reason for not buying a bottle, wearing and enjoying this beauty.
Lasting power is good and sillage is too.

Both L'Aimant and L'Origan are truly nice to be worn even in their new reformulation.

t4x3
t4x3

After I dabbed this on from my decant, I carefully painted on a bold, red lip just as I did in high school. It just seemed the right thing to do. L'Origan smelled like that lip color. I knew this scent. Yet, I knew it didn't come from my favorite 80s lipstick, a cheap Wet and Wild red lipstick, a Revlon Cherries in the Snow knockoff with a tenacious formula that stayed all night and stained your lips for days afterward. To my nose, the scent was pure 1986-1988. Then I came here to read others' reviews and I had to laugh at how clueless I can be. Of course! The smell is of Coty Airspun! Airspun, the lovely powder in the beautiful orange and white package. The powder I set my first layer of lipstick with before carefully applying another layer with the help of my magnified lighted makeup mirror. The powder that I dusted softly over my face morning and night. To my nose, this scent is clove and nutmeg bouncing off a powdery floral. It is lovely, a closer to the skin, more innocent L'Heure Bleue. How amusing it is to think of all the trouble I got into with my face and lips giving off this scent. Of course I did.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

I just purchased a vintage edt in a tortoise shell case. On my skin it smells exactly like cover girl pressed face powder circa early 1990s. it's a lovely fragrance, probably something to be worn to church, family gatherings, winter holiday parties...

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

Mine is vintage parfum from anywhere between 1916 and 1935, judging from the label. It's GORGEOUS. I've even broken down and purchased the similarly-scented airspun powder, even though I'm anti-paraben.

But I digress. It may be macintoshes and clementines to compare the (unknown) vintage parfum L'Origan to the 2013 eau de parfum L'Heure Bleu, but that's what I got here. They are obviously related scents, but L'Origan suffers in the comparison. It's more linear than LHB, which, even in the edp, is richer. LBH really puts into high relief the classic-powdery-makeup smell of LO. Where LO has citrus, LHB has cloves.

If L'Heure Bleu didn't exist or if Guerlain had screwed up the newest formulation, vintage L'Origan would be a top scent for me. As it is, I'm just very happy to have it. It's certainly a beautiful perfume.

Avarie
Avarie

This scent I remember, when I first encountered Coty Airspun at the drugstore and it was still sold in the cardboard container. I loved the scent but couldn't buy the powder. On the next visit some months after, I searched for the powder, determined to buy it this time, but no longer was it in the cardboard container. It was kept in the current plastic container. While it did smell powdery, I knew it wasn't the same. Imagine my excitement upon smelling this! Exactly the same, although I feel it's much spicier as a cologne. The definite classic, makeup powder-scent is still here, and it's quite sophisticated to me. I do not see it as a date fragrance, though. I see myself wearing this in the wintertime (probably because of all those delicious spices), wearing the scent on the body and clothes while I have a heavy coat on top. The heat from the coat traps in the scent, which makes it blossom even more into something a touch floral, and a hint of creamy vanilla as well. Speaking from experience, if you haven't guessed yet. ;) I feel like I would also wear it to holiday-themed dinners or performances. To me this fragrance does evoke an older woman's age, yet it also evokes riches and wealth... Hence the imagery of a heavy coat and some fancy-pants events to attend. ;P The bottle has lasted me for quite a while, but I don't wear perfumes constantly. I believe it's had a good run. Muguet de Bois is next on my wish list!

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

Having grown up with my mum wearing coty l'aimant, I was a bit suspect of this. Don't get me wrong, I love l'aimant but that will always be the smell of my mum and evoke the warm mumsy feelings. This one is the same yet quite different. If you have only smelled l'aimant briefly then you will probably swear this is the same. But if you are a veteran like me you can pick up the different nuances.

Starts with the same warm scent as l'aimant. Gentle yet noticeable fragrance that does not offend the wearer or those smelling it. L'aimant does not try to offend with its scent. I call l'aimant a fluffy bunny scent great for mums. Kids love to snuggle a l'aimant mummy.
However this changes on the nose immediately when the violet and vanilla hit. It's almost palatable with a soft buttery blend but not a cloying sugary sweet. Neither does it hit you with a strong vanilla (a scent I hate). Vanilla is not individually noticeable but it does change the perfume from a mumsy scent to one worn by a no nonsense but extremely feminine woman.

Great for romantic dinner a deux. Ideal for a business meeting or lunch. Defiantly wear it as a woman among men rather than a woman among women. Don't over saturate when wearing it and it will turn heads.

Review for current formulation. This smells like orange blossom, spices including cloves, and a ton of sweet powder. No one I knew ever wore it, but the smell is very familiar. Many people have mentioned that it smells like Coty Airspun face powder. I had no idea that Coty face powder was still around, as it’s not been available in Canada for many years, but I had some back in the day, and yes, it smells just the same. I like this scent. It’s warm and sweet and, most of all, very powdery. Because of the face powder similarity, it does remind me of vintage makeup, before it all became fragrance free. It’s like when you open an old makeup bag that has accumulated the scents of the various makeup it used to hold. Very feminine.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

I have one of these I bought in the late '70's, a little spray on with a whopping price tag of $2.75. I also bought L'Aimant with it. It's an EDC and has aged very well. I used to consider it too spicy to wear often but I now love spices. I sprayed it on my wrist, the first time in probably ten years and WOW..spicy, softly sweet, a well constructed scent that packs a punch. It seems these EDCs are more powerful than most of the EDPs today. I can see why this is a classic. It's perfect for Autumn. If you love Opium or Cinnabar this might be up your alley. It's a bit more subtle and powdery. I would recommend the vintage since I've heard the newer versions are weak. Coty used to create quality fragrances that were affordable..we took those perfumes for granted when they were readily available..now to find some of the pure perfume or EDP if they make it.

Scarlette
Scarlette

Like this one very much! Reminds of Vintage Oscar, a milder Raffinee and Toujours Moi...with a touch of Habanita. Soft, sexy, and powdery. A lot like the Covergirl Blush scent from the 1970s. I smell the nutmeg, incense, benzoin and spices. I get no flowers from this one.
I catch glimpses of Ciara in this one as well, but I do like Ciara better.
Classic beauty.

boruvka44
boruvka44

About 10 minutes after very sharp opening it smells like Spellbound on my skin. Spellbound, loaded with sweet coriander, nutmeg, sandalwood and smoky sweet amber.
Nice one

MsDana
MsDana

I just got it after ordering from Amazon, & I am enjoying it. It is a spicy citrus, with a soft smokey undertone. I love classic perfumes, & I am very glad that I made this purchase.

Update: I just want to point out that this is not an overpowering scent, as many people tend to think that older fragrances are all very bold. This is soft and feminine, just lovely.

JemCalico
JemCalico

I was wandering around an antique shop today looking for furniture and decorative items and came across a vintage 1.25 fl oz bottle of this for twelve dollars. I thought I'd give it a whiff, and did I ever fall in love! I'm not so much an expert but I try my best to identify the different notes. I put a few dabs on my wrist and I have been sniffing myself repeatedly. Older fragrances are always so much more complex and fascinating. I got a LOT of orange at first, but now I'm at the heart. My, is this spicy! I don't really detect any nutmeg at all (to me, nutmeg smells quite unpleasant). I get some jasmine and a lot of spices. I can smell some other stuff too, but as I've said my nose nor my mind is the best at detecting it. It's strange that I think this is a lovely summer fragrance, seeing that usually spicy ones remind me of winter. Maybe all the fruit in it combined feels different than most.

UPDATE:
I've worn this for a while now and after reapplying in order to enjoy the orange note again my brother told me I smelled like an elderly woman. "You reek of old moth balls and death." I did put too much on, but it calmed down after a short while. Also, he's wrong. ;)
I'm now at the base. I'm getting a lot of incense, hella vanilla, and quite a bit of Benzoin. Civet is kind of there but luckily not really noticeable. There's sort of a greenish hint as well. Is that the cedar? I don't really know what cedar smells like exactly. I don't smell musk, nor am I getting any coumarin at all. None. But oh well. I'm really quite happy with the combination that I'm left with. I will say that it is very heavy and there is no way that everyone will enjoy it, but for those who at least appreciate vintage fragrance (like most users on here do, possibly even more than I do) this is definitely a keeper.

So far I think I'll give this an 8.8/10. It's not for everyone, but it sure is lovely for those who enjoy it. :)
(I bumped up my rating from 8.7 to 8.8 because of my great fondness for vanilla and the drydown exceeding my expectations; I was nervous I'd end up with some offensive, animalic mess).

Berlynn
Berlynn

I've heard a great deal of people comparing this to L'heure bleue, but actually I only see the resemblance slightly in L'heure's vintage form. Sweet spiced orange dominates this scent, drying down to a floriental with a slight powdery side. I love it!

Eneli
Eneli

Warm, fresh spicy and powdery, sounds lovely!
I had no knowledge of this perfume just couple of days ago, but found it on sale on Ebay. As allways, came here to read the reviews and I liked what I saw. I love oriental, spicy and powdery smells, so I have quite high hopes for it. So i bought a bottle from USA. I belive it's not to be found enywhere here in Sweden. I can't wait to get my hands on it.. I'll let you know the truth when it arrives.

So, today it arrived. I could not open the package fast enough..
I pretty much get one note only - clove, and lots of it!
So is it an old lady perfume? Not really, sorry to say but it's more of a dead lady perfume. Not flatering to any woman-beeing. I so wanted to love it..

lisa wold
lisa wold

I love this perfume, absolutely one of my favorites! It is very powdery and soft. This smells just like the Coty face powder. It smells sweet and powdery but not too sweet. Although I do prefer wearing it in the colder months because it might be a little bit too strong and sweet in the summer time. If you like the vintage powder types of perfumes than this one is beautiful and definitely worth trying.

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

This vintage sample reeks cinnamon spiciness similar to that of Blue Carnation by Roger and Gallet. L'Origan is an oriental with a floral twist. Deep dark orange makes this a prize in my eyes as the refined sweetness balances the extreme spice without the added boost of sugar. I find this fragrance very aromatic and womanly. I do not detect civet but the ylang and orange work well together to keep this fragrance grounded in a way that the aromatics don't supersede the softer notes. Soft florals follow .

Piperolal is a note I am in no way familiar with, but if it is responsible for the hot/pepper sensation, then I look forward to adding it to my list of favorite notes.

It eventually dies down to a classic floral but I rather enjoy the initial blast of fire! I like it HOT.

annxyz
annxyz

To me, this is akin to Coco Chanel - just softer . I ordered blindly , not expecting much . May I state emphatically that this is one of the most BEAUTIFUL fragrances I have sniffed ? I love the soft spicy oriental notes , esp the orange blossom . It has a very feminine retro womanly vibe , but is actually a timeless scent for literally any woman. I can see wearing it for any event , even on a wedding day .

I sprayed it on my nightgown and it lasts and lasts . If you need a fragrance that is soft but enduring for the office , this is perfection . I can not overstate just how lovely it is - God bless Francois Coty !
This sits proudly next to my COCO , Hypnotic Poison , Organza Indecence and Addict . It is a fabulous fragrance bargain - less than ten dolars and smells like a million.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

Just got a vintage bottle of this. I am on memory cloud no9. This was my grandmother's scent. She used the airspun face powder, I think that is where my love of powdery makeup-y type scents came from. I always thought she smelled so beautiful and elegant. Now it is so wonderful to smell her again. She was so beautiful inside and out, everyone that knew her loved her.

I love the spicy (especially nutmeg, I love nutmeg!) powdery, incensy floral mix...it is just so beautiful! Everything I love is in this perfume...such gorgeous notes. I don't know if the modern version still smells the same, but the vintage is just as gorgeous as ever!
A favorite vintage powdery scent with lots of wonderful memories:)
They don't make perfumes like this anymore

drugstore classics

I have finally tested all 4 of the Coty classics released in charming (matched) glass bottles. It's been quite an education!

Though Muget de Bois is a clear and fresh vase of water lilies (and a refreshing hint of lime), L'Origan exudes oriental spice and mystery. It's a light oriental, not a bit like Obsession or Opium. The cloves really shine, through a powdery haze of sightly bitter orange. One person who sampled my newly aquired treasure found it go positively harsh and dry on their skin. For myself, this couldn't be better. It's not too sweet or harsh or bitter or strong.

And yes, the Airspun powder is a terrific way to smell this fragrance before comitting to a bottle. It seems a milder form, however, and not nearly as strong in cloves. The lovely bottles are oh - so- giftable, so don't be afraid to try one!

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

This smells like tobacco to me.
Maybe patchouli? Kind of medicinal and sharp...
Not nice at all. I was hoping for a powdery makeup smell, but no... Great sillage and longevity though!

viveka
viveka

Please, don't be fooled (as I was) by alleged similarity to L'Heure Bleue...They're totally different scents! Yes, L'Origan has these old-fashioned, classical notes but, please, don't compare it to masterpiece like L'Heure Bleue!
L'Origan is rather agressive, non-transparent scent with almost masculine sharpness (my bf refused to use it althrough). There's really nothing in common with powdery, soft, guerlainish note (base) the Guerlain perfumes are known what make you feeling so heavenly & you can smell these differences from the begining of two perfumes (I compared at once). L'Origan is ambery, woody and very cologne'y, I even find it difficult wearing by women.
I read some opinions about it & I thought that maybe I could find some notes of L'H B in it (I even was told that it was Guerlain who stolen idea of L'H B from L'Origan!) but it was big dissapointment. If you necessary want find any similiarities to Guerlain's range it would be rather Mitsouko Eau de Toilette, but still - don't expect THAT chic&charm which you buy at Guerlain store.
So, be careful, in my opinion it was pure waste of money.

woodsprite
woodsprite

Peeachediva said L'Origan reminded her of a perfume from Spain, that might have been called oriental. Aha,could it have been Maderas de Orient? I owned a bottle of that once, and there is definitly a similarity. I just wish I could find it again, to compare. Anybody else know about Maderas? Warm and spicy, the two smells have a lot in common!

smile4thecamera
smile4thecamera

L'Origan was a scent I wore a long time ago. It was actually one of my favorites until my youngest son, who was around 2 years old at the time, decided to "taste" it. Well naturally I was horrified and called the Doctor. He chuckled and said I would probably smell it on his breath for awhile. Boy did I. And after that I could never wear the scent again!

Coty did some wonderful scents back then though, they were little treasures and the best part was you could buy them at the drugstore. Such a bonus!

tarheel96
tarheel96

This was my grandmother's perfume. She passed away when I was three, so I don't have many memories of her, but my mom said I used to love to sit at her vanity table and play. When I was in high school, my mother called me into her room and held out a bottle of perfume, asking me to smell it and tell her if it made me think of anything. I didn't recognize the look of the bottle, but as soon as I took one whiff, I said, "It makes me think of when I was a little girl." My mom and I both keep a bottle now, though she hardly ever wears it -- she says it doesn't smell the same on her. I wear mine on special occasions (it's such a soft, feminine fragrance)or when I'm feeling nostalgic. And if I'm around my mother, she almost always notices and says, "You're wearing Mother's perfume, aren't you?" Now I just need to find some Airspun powder (which Grandmother also used)!

geekweevil
geekweevil

I have found by reading this site, that as soon as someone disparages a perfume as 'old lady', then it's almost 100% guaranteed that i will just adore it. BRING ON THE OLD LADY PERFUMES!

I bought this perfume initially as I liked many other Coty fragrances, plus anything made in the early 1900s tends to be delicious.

L'Origan IS old lady - in that it brings back memories of crowds of grey haired rellies - but why is this a bad thing? Maybe people just associate certain smells with their Auntie Clarice and veer away from them - but i'm a vintage fan and if I got out in my best vintage frock, then I like wearing an appropriate scent for the era.
Plus i liked my Auntie Clarice. :)

I love this fragrance. It's slightly bitter, a bit civetty, and a bit orangey, it smells utterly divine.

I cannot stand modern perfumes. Sweet patchouli and cloying - yuck!
L'origan - YUM!!!

twillocks
twillocks

I love this. Just ordered another bottle. Before I go to bed I spray it all over me and my pillow. My room smells like this wonderful perfume!!

cisco
cisco

I was so touched by sunsineandroses' vivid story of how this fragrance took her back to more simple times at Christmas that I am bidding on a bottle on eBay right now. She was so vivid I could even smell the wet wool of the clustered customers around the glass perfume counter at Rexalls. Those were days when nice ladies helped you find the proper gift. In those days we did not have "theme" decorated trees. We used tinsel that had to be carefully applied piece by piece. My Mother even saved some from year to year.

Sunshineandroses thank you for your memory trip that triggered my sight, smell, touch, and even hearing. It is not often that happens.

In answer to 9154mf, it is not always the scent quality of the perfume that matters. On rare occasions, we find something that takes us on a precious memory trip.

Lady Love
Lady Love

I think there's a lot of similarities between Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue/Après L'ondée and Coty's L'origan.

Poor Coty, Jacques Guerlain seemed to take each one of Francois Coty’s amazing scents and develop a more complex and risk-taking version. I feel really disappointed about this, i allways think Guerlain's creations were unique and pioneers. This is a demonstration of Francois Coty’s outstanding talent.

Sometimes L'Heure Bleue it difficult to wear. L'Origan, on the other hand, is easy to wear.

The scent is great. Warm and smooth, I smell mostly orange and peach with a hint of powdery-spice.

The orange notes are prominent like in Narcisse Noir by Caron.

L'origan (cologne) is the perfect proof of that something doesn't have to be expensive to be good.

sheridanellis

This smells EXACTLY like Coty's Airspun Loose Face Powder. If you like that nostolgic scent, you will love this. It is so different and very classy. People will never guess what you are wearing, and you most certainly will smell different than the crowd. I really like this scent, it is just not something I will wear everyday. Cheers!

nanster
nanster

I've always loved this fragrance, though I haven't had any in years. For me, it's so wear-able. Sweet, but not too sweet. Floral, but not heady. Spicy.

I just got Calvin Klein Eternity for Christmas, which I love because of the carnation. After wearing it for a few days, I realize how much it reminds me of L'Origan! So, I looked up the L'Origan ingrediants: no carnation, though I could swear I smell it. Anyway, now I want to go buy a big bottle of it.

gazelle

My mother's only fragrance. Over the years, I've gone through a few bottles just because. Haven't seen it for a while. After she passed I asked for her empty Coty face powder box because of its lingering smell. I treasure it.

Coty has produced some interesting, affordable, acceptable, as well as fun fragrances. I'm not an expert, I buy what I like. But I LOVED CHYPRE. Now that's a fragrance that elevated me a few inches off the floor!

Woodelf
Woodelf

I adore these older scents and so I wanted to get my own bottle of L'Origan. On first application, I smell orange blossoms, jasmine and pepper. As the scent dries down and warms up, the benzoin and coumarin kick in, giving this a sweet, powdery aroma. The scent stays true for hours. Sillage is light, but I find that the scent lasts nearly all day, albeit close to my skin. While this is a fairly complex formula, in my opinion, to the nose it combines to three major aromas: floral, citrus, and powder. If you want to try something a bit more vintage and sophisticated, for the price, you really can't beat L'Origan.

peeachediva
peeachediva

L'origon!!! YUM!!!!! this is one of the most beautiful scents I have ever smelled. My mother has worn it, my grandmother wore it, and from time to time I wear it. It actually reminds me of a perfume that a friend of mine gave me from Spain. Actually, I think it might have been called 'oriental' or something like that.

I would say that on me AND my mother, the sweetness comes out. But it's not sweet like candy or gourmand. I would say that it has a 'roundness' to it, that is similar to Hypnotic poison. I wish I knew more of the notes that were in it, as the description lists a couple, but then finishes with 'etc.' I would love to know what the 'etc.' is.
I don't catch the violet, and I really don't detect what I could say 'oh that's vanilla'. I'm thinking that the way the notes married in the creation of it, may have balanced out each other in such a way, may have created a completely new entity.

L'Origan is definitely a 'wear it for me' kind of perfume in my case. I don't like very many perfumes in the COTY line, but L'Origan and L'Aimant are definitely ones that give me a nice feeling when I smell them. L'Origan definitely has staying power, to. My mother uses just a LITTLE of perfume and L'Origan stays with her the whole evening. It'one of her signature scents. I love it so much that when I come to visit, I sometimes ask her to wear it.
I would strongly recommend a person to at least try it.

Kiku
Kiku

I was surprized to see this classified as a floral. To me it is a spicy oriental, albeit lighter than most orientals. The opening is citrusy and peppery, a bit sharp. The dry down turns spicy and woodsy, still a bit pungent. This is a romantic and oh so feminine scent. When someone says, "French perfume" this is the one I think of.

Just revisited this again. Soft, slightly powdery orange blossoms, a feeling of tuberose and the definite scent of powdered milk, with some faint spice in the dry down. It's as feminine and elegant as a gold organza dress. Just lovely in all ways. To some degree, it does smell its age in that it has a composition reminiscent of the perfumes of the time, but in overall mood, it is timeless. Bought a ridiculously cheap full, unopened bottle and I think I've found my new favorite.

guest_My Signature Fragrance
guest_My Signature Fragrance

I was introduced to L'Origan when a child as it was my aunt's favorite. I have worn and loved it for years and, in recent years, it is the rare fragrance that does not make me queasy.

To me, it is more floral than oriental. I smell mostly orange blossoms and jasmine so I was surprised it is so complex. The dry down is a little spicier. I find it reasonably well-lasting and I do not get the powdery scent that some reviewers have described. I have not tried the new formulation yet....hope I am not too disappointed

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

Not that anybody is going to run out and buy a bottle of this vintage stuff but I recently aquired a vintage set of Coty fragrances with L'Origan still capped tightly and fresh. I knew I had smelled this somewhere before, it was so familiar. I let it sink in and then I realized it was the smell of the perfume counter at the drugstore at Christmas time. All those shoppers trying to find the right gift for wives, mothers, sisters and aunts. I found the l'Origan to be very warm and pleasant but very mid-century perfume counter with all the gift sets on the glass counter and the smiling lady helping you decide if you wanted the set with the bath powder and foil box.
I did find the L'Origan to be the best one of the vintage Coty fragrances in the set. I don't think I really would wear it that much. I'm too afraid someone would say you smell like the Rexall pharmacy on Main St that closed 15 years ago !
L'Origan was fun like seeing a 1950's car driving down the road .

Cubby

Airspun powder? Yes, it's identical!! I'm trying Red Door EDT, and it's remarkably similar to L'Origan's opening notes. My grandmother wore L'Origan for 60 years!! Wonderful memories. I need to get a bottle AND some Airspun powder for the memories.

myrrhmaid
myrrhmaid

Goodness yes it is like L'Heure Bleu,luckily as most Guerlains give me a headache this one hasn't after two hours.

Fragaria

My bottle of L'Origan came yesterday. Very strong at first but fades out and then becomes hardly noticable to me. I know it is still detectable to others so it does it's job. It's dreamy. It's sweet in a way that not all little girls will ever know mommie's perfume from 40 years earlier, most creations won't make it that long I'm afraid. It's a comfort scent for sure, so soft it's "misty". So feminine and proper. Thankyou Coty for taking me back to the bathroom mirror waiting to be beautiful, spraying mom's perfume and using her lipstick and Airspun powder. This is charm.

Fragaria

I remember this scent from childhood, using mom's perfume in front of the mirror as if you could see how beautiful you become instantly. Some of her perfumes (Tigress) was hideous to me. I remember as if yesterday, thinking WOW this smells GOOD! I've never forgotten the name even though she doesn't remember. She's never cared for perfume and I dusted her bottles often so I won't be getting a bottle for her. I can't wait until it's here (monday) I hope! I'll be back if I'm moved by the scent as an adult!

sheridanellis

I am so anxious to get my bottle of this vintage scent! I ordered it last week from Overstock.com and it was SO inexpensive that I can't believe I have not purchased it before. I love Guerlain's scent L.B., but it makes me feel very sad and nostalgic so I am hoping I don't get that from this one. I read somewhere that this smells exactly like the famous Coty Loose Airspun face powder, which I adore and always have a box of sitting on my dressing table. Does anyone else recognize that scent from the powder? I will review this some more by the end of the week. Cheers!

F_A
F_A

L'Origan is a great fragrance, probably that's why it was the origin, the inspiration for Guerlain's L'heure bleue. Indeed, it has a lot of similarities with L'Heure Bleue. L'origan is sweet powdery and woody fragrance with some spicy and flowery notes in it. It's rich, multi-layered, a bit lighter than L'Heure bleue but still very expressive and exceptional fragrance. If you like L'Heure bleue, you must try L'Origan! You will love it!
The staying power is good, the sillage is very light.

9154mf
9154mf

At first this reminded me alot of Habanita by Molinard - it smelled like an old fashioned lipstick, that strong perfumey waxy scent. Then after about an hour it softened into a powdery rose. It smells kind of old fashioned and there are much nicer perfumes out there I really don't see the point of this.

allexa27
allexa27

it is definatelly oriental-spicy.I will write a review later because i am sleepy now ..lol

Even though I do not care for orange blossom, I had to try this historic scent. It does go on very strongly as pure orange blossom, but begins almost immediately to dry down in a lovely combination of play-dough scented iris, candy heliotrope and powdery florals. It does go very sweet on me, but somehow manages to be neither childish or old fashioned. I like this very much.

jrjohnson1408
jrjohnson1408

L’Origan by Coty is the best perfume I have experienced in a long time. My favorite perfume has always been L’Heure Bleue by Guerlain so when I ordered this one I was rather expecting that it would smell like a cheaper version of L’HB. I couldn’t have been more mistaken. Granted, they have some similarities in the opening but then the scents go their separate ways.

The beginning is all about the play between the spiciness of the coriander and pepper and the freshness of the bergamot. A slightly sour, inedible peach is lurking in there as well. The spiciness seems to win out over the freshness though, because next comes a rush of nutmeg mixed with a touch of cloves. There are a few floral notes that make a brief appearance: I get mainly the orange blossom and a touch of ylang-ylang. Others may sense more of them though, florals don’t develop well on me.

The base is beautiful. I had never experienced large amounts of courmarin in a perfume before, so I didn’t really know what to expect. It is an intriguing scent and difficult to explain. It is similar to fresh grass, copper, and hot rubber all at the same time. It doesn’t sound appealing, but it really is.

The lasting power is average, about 5-6 hours on skin. (It lasts all day on clothing or in hair, though). And it is an incredible deal for the approximately $10 that I paid for it. I would recommend it for all seasons except the hottest of summer days when the courmarin would probably be overwhelming. It would be appropriate for either day or evening wear.

Although this perfume is listed as a Floral, I would definitely describe it as an Oriental.

L`Origan by Coty 4.12 out of 5 based on 219 ratings and 64 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Coty L`Origan fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Coty L`Origan, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify L`Origan by Coty. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of L`Origan by Coty represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.