Designers » C » Oriental Floral « Groups

Sophia Coty for women

Sophia Coty for women
dislike

Sophia is a Coty fragrance inspired by the famous Sophia Loren, an icon of style, femininity, grace and elegance. The perfume was launched in 1981 as an oriental floral, with dominant notes of jasmine and rose. Sophia was launched in 1980.

Jasmine Rose

Sophia Fragrance Reviews

scentsablyurs
scentsablyurs

I tested this today. I got a bottle and I'm wondering WHY I never tested this back in the 80's! But then again, I probably wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I do now.

I have the Concentrated Cologne.

With the initial spray, I get a hint of oakmoss that gets bolder within a few minutes.

I don't care for most rose or jasmine notes in a perfume because they usually don't work well with my chemistry.

On my skin, this is mostly oakmoss with a hint of something animalic.

It's gorgeous. Not your typical 80's fragrance but its a mature fragrance to be sure....not something fruity, musky, or gourmandy which is how I see most celebrity fragrances. This one has grown-up sex appeal.

Its fairly inexpensive and if you like oakmoss, I think you will love this one!

athenian
athenian

Sophia does not smell like a 80s perfume at all. It smells like something made a decade earlier. It is very similar to Charles Revson's original Ultimal II fragrance. Nice but nothing special.

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

The first and best of the celebrity fragrances from the days when Coty was still a perfume house and classic brand. A well-rounded fragrance with a chypre kick in the top that quickly evolves into a creamy floral oriental spicy base. I have a bottle labelled cologne but it wears more like perfume.
The last high quality affordable perfume to be created by Coty before it became Coty Inc. It saddens me what Coty has become.

This is a very spicy floral oriental with a woody base. If someone told me this was a vintage Estée Lauder or Givenchy, I'd believe it. It's very rich, deep and complex. There are a ton of notes missing here. My nose isn't great at picking out the individual notes, especially when there are so many of them, but krmarich has done a great job. Fragrances of the past tend to be a bit loud compared to todays offerings, so those who don't like the aggressiveness of vintages, stay far away. But those of us who love them, this is one to experience. One of the first celebrity scents, I find it fitting for the strong, fiery character of Ms. Loren. Believe me, nobody will mistake this for a current celebrity scent. To me, this has a Cinnabar - Youth Dew - Tabu - Tigress vibe to it. It smells like something from the 40's to me, not the 80's. I'd say this is to be worn with cats eye eyeliner, plunging neckline and vintage furs.

Mushana
Mushana

This will always hold a special lace in my heart because my mother's mother was named Sophia, so my Dad bought it for my Mom as a gift. Amazing fragrance that represents everything Sophia is....classically beautiful, elegant and memorable.

Cybernoir
Cybernoir

I found two small bottles of vintage Sophia: one parfum, the other "concentrated cologne," and decided to do a thorough testing before I reviewed this scent, so began the day by layering the two. The concentrated cologne was strong and bitter initially, and took a good two hours to calm down, while the parfum opened as a pleasing old school classic fragrance. Florals include a predominate rose, joined by jasmine and lilies; as the day progressed, I began to pick up cedar, cypress and oakmoss.

Never did detect any patchoulli. At nine hours, it is a nice golden-hued floriental, not sweet, not fruity, and with the florals harmonizing to create a single chord. I like it quite a lot. Let me add that I had never heard of this fragrance, even picking it up and asking aloud "Sophia? I never heard of that. I wonder which Sophia?" which the clerk found endlessly amusing-- I imagine that for him, there is only one Sophia.

mimila
mimila

I found out about this fragrance on this site and being an admirer of Ms. Loren, I put it on my wishlist. I found a small bottle of perfume and you know what it reminds me of? Diors Poison! I'll keep my eyes open for a larger bottle. I like it.

krmarich
krmarich

This was the first celebrity fragrance. It has fallen into obscurity over the years and has long disappeared off retail shelves. I found a stash in my mother's vanity! Coty was once the greatest marketer for inexpensive quality fragrance. This proved to be one of the best. For chypre lovers, that is...

It opens with bergamot, lemon and oakmoss. It has a genious heart of neroli, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley and oakmoss, perhaps more. It closes with more oakmoss, patcholi and vetiver. Toss in some civet and vanilla and you get a stunning complex refined and yes, mature bold chypre. It was a bit over the top for todays noses.

It last for several hours and makes one think, no, they dont make um like this anymore. The cost was about $4.99 a bottle in the day. Hey, the glamour of Sophia Lauren was just a spray away. I wonder if she still keeps bottle around? Frankly, it was the best celebrity launch, IMO...

Kiku
Kiku

Is this really still around? It seemed old fashioned when first introduced. Just too, too gooey sweet. Not at all what one would associate with a beautiful, exciting, intriguing woman like Sophia Loren.

Sophia by Coty 4.06 out of 5 based on 39 ratings and 9 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Coty Sophia fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Coty Sophia, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Sophia by Coty. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Sophia by Coty represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.