Designers » C » Chypre « Groups

Stetson Coty for men

Stetson Coty for men
dislike

Stetson by Coty is a Chypre fragrance for men. Stetson was launched in 1981. Top notes are lime, lavender, clary sage, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, patchouli, orris root, jasmine, vetiver, cedar and geranium; base notes are honey, tonka bean, amber, musk and vanilla.

Lime Lavender Clary Sage Bergamot Lemon

Chaps

Stetson Fragrance Reviews

estaesta
estaesta

straight off the bat a very loud whiskey blast / bergamot /lavender & powder , then florals /geranium / jasmin / honeysuckle ? some pinchy herby notes coming thru / resting into ceder / musk / amber
its heavy on the musk and powder and throyghout everything alot of orange or sweet fruit nectars.

reminds me of old school realms joop /obsession / opium & alyssa ashley musk etc

not sure if i dare to afflict this on others and im opulent in spraying shalimar and other bombs, but this seems kind of cheap infact its so cheap i spray it in the vacuum bag so the air fills the rooms in a warm subtle haze. having said that it also reminds me of those towelettes in the 80's you'd stick in the dryer for your clothes. hmmmm...

no-fi
no-fi

A surprising graduate from the class of '81. While Kouros, Antaeus, Quorum and Santos were trying to out-macho one another with animalic bravado, Stetson took a very different approach. Yes, it matches the laughably masculine names and branding of its peers, but the scent itself is far removed from those classic powerhouses.

Stetson is a warm, even subtle unisex oriental which combines creamy tonka bean, vanilla, lavender and musk with subtle florals and a touch of honey-sweetness. If it weren't for the patchouli, as another reviewer noted, it could even pass as feminine.

Essential? By no means. Cheap but surprisingly cheerful? You bet. As vanilla musks go, you could do a lot worse.

KJS88
KJS88

An excellent oriental fougere in the school of Royal Bain de Caron, Canoe, Ambush, Gingham, Black Suede, etc., done in the style of 70s and 80s, but very wearable and IMHO, still modern.

Also IMHO, the reference masculine jasmine.

mkpunk
mkpunk

This is a very western smelling cologne that I got a splash at Christmas time last year that I had put in a reuseable atomizer (there was no reservoir cap for the splash) and is very strong. Unlike most colognes that I spritz twice to three times, this needs only one and still smells strong and lasts a full day. After trying it, I find that splashing, it is strong but more tame than putting it in an atomizer This smells not just 1980's but 1880's but in a good way and I am younger cologne user. For places like Arizona, Texas and California, it is not just a night and winter scent but almost an anytime scent.
I would say it is an 8/10.

graysbeardcare
graysbeardcare

The scents light
But its like a Amber citrus Whiskey

RobBob
RobBob

I remember Stetson from magazine and television ads from back in the day. I just assumed that Stetson would smell like Brute or Aramis or one of the big 80's "powerhouse" fragrances(no slam on Brute or Aramis! They both hold their place in the fragrance/time continuum). I wrote it off as being typical. So, fast forward to the present. I read several reviews of Stetson here on Fragrantica, and found many positive reviews. Then I bought a bottle of Stetson, and boy, was I surprised! It's beautiful. Totally not what I was expecting. For a cheapie, drug store cologne, it's well-balanced and gorgeous. It's already become one of my favorite colognes. Right out of the bottle I can smell the florals,lime and then the musk and patchouli come marching in. I am very happy to be proven wrong about this great fragrance.

TexBex
TexBex

I sometimes spray this on my faux fur throw so my bed will smell of cowboy and become more inviting to me.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Stetson advertised as a cowboy cologne. It was something you'd expect to be worn by the Marlboro Man in the cigarette ads. The vintage 80's original had more musk and it wore like a strong fougere. It had the signature lavender in the top notes and the woodsy base. However the old cologne was reformulated and that's what is mostly selling right now. I bought this on Amazon.com for such a low price because I love the lavender in this and the carnation, and the woods. This scent is not unisex to me because of the patchouli. The patchouli is really strong and reminds me of the patchouli in Ralph Lauren Safari. However I really do love Safari and I don't mind smelling this scent. I apply very lightly one spritz on my wrist. I don't scent my clothes with this as I find that it turns a bit too masculine and ugly on my clothes. The fragrance is unisex because of the jasmine lavender geranium floral combination. The rest of the fragrance is clearly for men because it has the woodsy notes. But there is so much more to this fragrance as it changes and develops in the long length of time it has. It smells of honey, liquor, vanilla bourbon, it smells of a log cabin, it smells of the Ozarks hills in Arkansas. It DOES have an outdoorsy feel to it in a very good way, like perfumed mountain air. It's aromatic, it's sweet, it's sexy and I like to cuddle up next to any man that wears it. I'm a perfume slut LOL On me it smells mostly of honey vanilla and lavender. Sweet and strong fragrance. The price is very cheap but the fragrance smells amazing.

Mikeinmich
Mikeinmich

I used to own this, many years ago. A fomer girlfriend loved the smell, which enticed me to buy it. It smelled good, but I have outgrown it. Its cheap and still available, but there are so many better fragrances to wear.

ginaivet
ginaivet

I have not tried this yet on my skin. My review is simply based on a whiff from the bottle of the aftershav version. It smells of boozy vanilla. Very sweet! It's a little strange that a cologne marketed for a rugged outdoors male smells like boozy vanilla to my nose...and a little like Bal a Versailles? Perhaps I have unintentionally found a BaV knock off?

Update--put a little on my wrists. It smells pleasant. I keep referencing BaV and Cher's one hit wonder which also has a boozy vanilla vibe. It starts out pretty sweet from the beginning and then gets a little spicy.

Chet56
Chet56

I love original Stetson, and liking a fragrance myself is important - I feel energetic, fun, and confident when wearing it - otherwise, why bother? Stetson original has been a staple of my fragrance wardrobe for years, since around the time of its arrival in the marketplace, and I see no reason to change that. The floral and musk notes are outdoorsy, rugged, and Western and complements my Colorado mountain lifestyle. Fragrances don't need to be expensive or pretentious to be nice and effective, and Stetson is nice and effective at a very affordable price, and has a name you can easily pronounce (or not mispronounce).

raptorette
raptorette

I really like Stetson Original, enough that I tried wearing it myself, but still I prefer it on men. I love warm, sweet, masculine, edible gourmand scents, & Stetson checks all the boxes. It's definitely not quite as delicious as Pi by Givenchy, or The One (Men) by Dolce & Gabanna, but the price is right!
There is a danger that if you grew up smelling this on an older male relative, it may end up forever smelling like old man perfume to you. Just FYI.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

Before I review Stetson, I want to put the whole "this is for women" business to bed. As far as I am concerned, ANY and ALL fragrances can be worn by men or women. I don't care if it's Kouros or Pink Sugar. END OF RANT.
To me, Stetson smells better on a man, but that's just my personal opinion based on my experience. On me, it turned too powdery too fast. However, smelling it on various men over the years, I love the subtle powdery notes combined with a gentle muskiness which is not overpowering. The jasmine and other floral accords, as well as the green/herbal notes (and one of my faves, bergamot), add interest, while the honey/amber mix simply blows me away. It smells.....sort of edible.
Be careful applying Stetson, as overspraying will bring out too much of the patchouli.
This is a long-lasting scent with a good, but not "knock out your coworkers" sillage.

a385400
a385400

This started the whole cologne game for me back in the 80's! So for that reason I give it two thumbs up!

Karmah
Karmah

I bought a bottle of this for my husband and I couldn't away from him! I would get near and inhale big whiffs. He didn't wear it often, but I loved it so much that I started wearing it. It has a clean, powdery scent, but also has a musky tone. I love it!!

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

I bought a cheap bottle of the edc from the drugstore because it was on sale and someone had once told me it was a bit like a far more expensive Serge Lutens frag that I like. Well, of course it's nothing like the Lutens frag (maybe the pre-reformulation version was, for all I know). Stetson is pretty good for the price, and it smells unisex, with its well balanced spicy amber that isn't too sweet or too dry. Anyone could wear this. I can see why there is a debate on whether this is masculine or feminine though, since so many of the notes are common in both traditional men's fragrances and women's perfumes.

DSun
DSun

Firstly, never mind the hypermasculine actors and athletes peddling Stetson, it is a classic by-the-numbers oriental for women. (Freud would have loved this study in behavioural compensation!) You only need to clear your head of the marketing/brainwashing and to trust your nose in order to prove it. That being said, it is a decent and really quite good fragrance, not deserving of all the loathing it has been given.

Secondly, if you don't have the pre-IFRA restriction bottles, you will hate Stetson, or at least find it wanting. Remember that Coty Inc is bottling this. The standards keep getting lower-- no exceptions, not even for their own brainchild.

I have a bottle that's so very old (with the cowboy and bucking bronco glass-stamped 1865--yes, I know it came out in 1980's), the top notes smell like varnish. But the heart and drydown are still intact and-- surprise!---it's a different scent from the one Coty is selling now. Totally different. Like, not even flankers.

What I'm trying to say is if you haven't smelled Stetson from the 1980's and early 90's, please be kind. It was once good, but Coty Inc, Marvel's Mister Sinister real world equivalent, corrupted it to what it is now,,,kinda like a parent mutilating his/her own child. Sickening. Poor hapless Stetson...

JFrags
JFrags

if it works on you it works.

very talcum slight leather and dusty musk smell. it works on few people. i bumped into this 'adventurer personality' who's been all over the world who wore this one and another entrepreneur tight knit who also wore this.

on both it worked.
on me as a lady, it was wafting heavily so i cut it down with a cotton candy body spray [no lie]. oh yeah, this is ideal for some experimental layering. mix this one with a sweet scent to produce a seemingly designer gourmand.

yarks
yarks

Making fun of this cologne is almost as cliche as the cologne itself. I found it to be an irrevokably cheap scent of gummy spice and flowers. The fragrance reminds me of being in an old, run down thrift store with water stains on the ceiling. It's not the worst thing I've ever smelled in my life (that award belongs to Silver Scent), but I've yet to meet a friend who liked it. The bottle has been circulating in my social circle, mocked all along the way. After spraying it, even the cat was making faces of disgust. Now it is owned by my fragrance inexperienced friend who thinks any cologne will win him some ladies. Can't wait to hear what they say of him lol. Overall, I do not recommend this scent. It was one of the first colognes I've ever bought, and I think that's what's keeping it on the shelves- people who don't know what a good cologne is buy this at Wal-Mart. They'll learn eventually, though ;)

eezepeeze
eezepeeze

I really don't understand all the negative reviews on this. I got my husband a bottle of this about a year ago and he is almost done with it. I LOVE it on him! It's a very sexy scent. Who cares that it's cheap? If it smells good, wear it! I agree that it is powdery, but I get more spice from it than some of the recent reviews state. To be honest, I can hardly keep from nibbling my hubby's neck when he's wearing it. I wonder if the scent is more designed with womens' noses in mind? I have even heard him receive compliments from other women on it.

MadMadamMimm
MadMadamMimm

I will always love this scent, as it reminds me of my first love. Very happy memories.

Jay T
Jay T

Le représentant des ventes rit de moi quand j'ai demandé de l'essayer. J'ai été surpris à quel point j'aime ce. J'ai adoré le musc bien sûr mon amie détestait.

tgnetz
tgnetz

I am very upset. I picked up a gift set with this included and the bottle is extremely weak and is hardly recognizable. I have a spray bottle that is at least 13 years old (it was my fathers) and it has moderate longevity and sillage. What is in this new splash bottle is poor in both categories. I would consider this new formulation (has it been reformulated?) for an after-shave. I would say the same for the splash of the Fresh and Rich Suede that came with it as well.

How do you cheapen an already cheap fragrance? Especially when it is a classic scent like Stetson?

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

It was the early '80s. Men wore Stetson and tan pointy toed shoes, if not Tony Lama's. We all did aerobics classes. It was Calgary before sophistication.

roll4fun
roll4fun

I stumbled upon a nearly empty 1 oz. bottle of Stetson that had mostly been lying around for the past 10 years.
Lo and behold, the juice still had some punch to it. I got an initial moderately strong spicy/sweet note to it. Within an hour, moved more into the realm of baby powder. After a couple of hours, scent was very close to skin. I agree with several prior reviewers about this frag being unisex, even feminine. Smell is pleasant enough, and toes the line enough that I'd consider using in a pinch, but probably won't buy another bottle.

Jomoves
Jomoves

Butch baby powder. I love it!

Redbeard
Redbeard

This stuff smells more like an old-school women's perfume to me than anything else I've owned. My mom had something that was remarkably similar that I always associate it with, and I think erv2 is correct: it's Norell. I felt embarrassed smelling like this in public because of how obvious the comparison was to me. I think I get the feminine impression because there's too much of some flower (jasmine?) and not the right spices like other similarly priced brands, unless I just got a bad bottle. I also smell urinal cakes, but only at the very end, and if I breathe it very close-up. I've never been so thoroughly disappointed from something so inexpensive. Chaps is closer to what I wanted Stetson to smell like.

tsth
tsth

This fragrance should have been branded as unisex. It is soft enough to be feminine but spicy enough to be masculine. I think the powdery note moves it a bit more into the fem zone. I love this on my dh and if he did not wear it, I would. I think it is a beautiful scent along the same vibe as Obsession for me.

bucket
bucket

Very nice scent, but not at all standoutish; somewhat predictable even.
Having said that, it is a dignified smell and although other reviews disagree I consider it to be distinctly masculine.
Worth a buy at its low price. Also, great as a base if you like mixing different fragrances. I found it mixes very well with Benetton Colors de Benetton Men- another inexpensive cologne.

paddycakes
paddycakes

I had a small bottle of this in high school. I remember liking it but I never purchased it again until a couplel weeks ago.

I don't know why, but the first few sprays were absolutely terrible. All I could smell was baby powder. I thought I would never use it again but for some reason, I did. Now it smells reminiscent of a nice old bookshelf. Not something I would wear on a date but something I would wear in a professional environment where I wanted to appear mature. Would reccomend to older people more so than younger people but I'm 22 and it works well for me in certain situations.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I must agree with the other reviewers - this is an excellent scent for the money. I bought a tester to try it out and I am impressed. Long lasting, too... on me it lasts 15 hours. I think I'll buy a bottle. (It certainly won't set me back.)

In the bottle it smells somewhat floral and feminine. But as the hours pass by it smells... nice. Somewhat unisex, but nice. Certainly not assertively masculine. I smell powdery vanilla and musk, quite pleasant.

The dried down scent of Stetson reminds me of when I was a teenager and kept my favorite tarot card deck in a little cedar box. Warm and woody.

The masculine advertising is funny... this could easily also be a feminine scent.

------

Update: My wife, smelling it on me, now thinks it smells "cheap." The more I wear it the more I smell the baby powder note.

The uniqueness, the rugged character of this fragrance really doesn't appear until near the 1-hour mark after application- and then it has staying-power to last into the morning. It is a suedey-smooth pickup artist with easy lines, and lots of experience. Stetson- if you let it- 'll show you a good time.

Tattooed Wolf
Tattooed Wolf

Stetson. There really isn't any scent out there like it. It's how a fantasy cowboy should smell. Not a REAL cowboy. Like leather,tobbaco and what not. But how a cowboy in a fantasy world would smell. Musk,vanilla,powdery with some spices thrown in is how I get Stetson. This is stricly a cold winter cologne as almost any sweating will turn it sour in a heart beat. And a little goes a long way. I still wear it though from time to time. On cold days. And when I wanna come across as the perfect sexy fantasy cowboy. (woof)

James Lewis
James Lewis

For the price I feel this is one of the best colognes out there,smells better and lasts longer then alot of higher end colognes out there.

KeithScar
KeithScar

Stetson is old school cologne at its finest. This classic frag is not for amatures. An ultimate masculine scent. The musk and amber vibes pull you in within the first notes and its game over after that. Stetson is perfect for the fall/winter days & nights. Has great longevity and is VERY cheap. This can easily be found in any drug store in any state. Im 26 and i can appreciate a classic like this. A must keep in my collection

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Absolutely lovely floriental for men. This is a top shelf fragrance for a bottom of the barrel price!

waine
waine

I will never forget receiving this little vintage under the Christmas tree during the mid eighties. Made me feel alive, vibrant and happy. Really an amazing scent in it’s niche. All the delightful ingredients are there.

Never seen it again, not on the hunt either.

Lushylori
Lushylori

I actually really like this one for Men even though it can be bought for such a low price.
Its warm,Spicy and sweet.
I would think this one would work best for Fall & winter :)

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

I love this stuff!

Picked up a bottle for ten bucks, figured, "hell, why not?"

Good for a $10 fragrance? How about great? This is like getting a new Mercedes for the price of a used Toyota. Pick up a ten gallon bottle, for the price of a couple of Starbucks Lattes. Better than some fragrances I own that cost several times more.

Some warm spices, tonka, vanilla, and a bit of nice florals. Reminds me of Jovan Musk at the start, only briefly. A couple of hours in I get a sort of rum vibe, but it reminds me more of a rum cake, or spiced rum. Perhaps this is why Stetson is considered a manly frag? For what is more masculine than to walk around reeking of spiced rum? The dry-down is very warm and sweet, damn sexy too.

Some say this is a woman's frag in a men's bottle. I don't think "floral" necessarily means "feminine". Many popular and well-liked men's fragrances feature prominent floral notes, this is no surprise. Nobody will accuse you of smelling like a chick if you wear this.

Projection, silage and longevity are all a cut above. This thing comes crashing out of the gates to begin with, projecting all over the place. I figured after the first couple hours of projecting half a mile radius this would have no more "legs" left to continue through the rest of the day. Easily lasts 10 hours on me. All with only a couple sprays!

Disclaimer: Spray diligently!

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

Great for a cheap drugstore fragrance! I love it! It is very powerful and manly smelling. However, it is very outdated and smells very cowboy-like from the 80s. Great for a trip down memory lane...but don't wear if you are young, trendy, or trying to be current. I prefer to wear this when its cold outside and when I'm not going anywhere special, or seeing anyone special! But its a classic smell!!!

silvrsrfr
silvrsrfr

For the $5/1.75 oz. sale price,this edc might be worth a try. Not one of my favorites, but here's what I get:
initial take: strong, sharp, citrus floral… not so good, but it does project
@ 5" a little powdery feminine floral
@ 10" still flowery, maybe a slight hint of ambery/leather?, along with some sort of cheap lavender
@ 15" pretty much the same with rememberances of a cheap imitation of Givenchy Insense (a much better choice for a men's floral fragrance).
@ 30" OK, it's starting to soften a little, and I may be picking up a little amber?
@ 45" Definitely softened, closer to the skin scent now; reminds me of another fragrance, but I can't quite pick it out...
@ 60" Now it's getting strange... wait a minute, wait a minute... I'm thinking, Bogart pour Homme??? I sprayed some to compare. No, it's not the same, but still, does anybody else get that tie-in?

Well it's not likely to enter my personal line-up soon, but, for the money, one could do worse. After all, Tania Sanchez gave it a 4*, and wrote she'd wear it herself :-)

greystone
greystone

For an inexpensive drugstore cologne,I find this to be an overall good fragrance.Stetson actually smells better then alot of the over priced high end chypre fragrances.This cologne starts off very strong and then mellows out to a more mellow musk and vanilla scent that is pleasent.This cologne lasts almost all day and for the price cannot really be beat for a masculine scent.Great cologne for a man.

junior halston
junior halston

It is funny reading the female reviews here this scent is as masculine as can be. But read the review at Basenotes and the men claim this is a female fragrance. LOL...which is it.

Anup
Anup

This is one of those fragrances that you can't review on first spray. You MUST allow it to sit for at least two minuets on skin or paper before testing.

That being said, on first spray this is the embodiment of an "old man fragrance". After allowing it to sit, this fragrance turns very warm and inviting, like air dried clothing in a way, warm and sweet, savory and manly.

It's a monster projector, so be careful with the amount of liquid you apply(2-3 sprays, 1-2 on a hot day). After a few hours this turns into more of a skin smell, but will still project when coaxed by a slight breeze.

I approve

Smell: 8
Longevity: 10
Sillage: (loud then quiet) 7

latelittlesleeper
latelittlesleeper

This is a review for the modern cologne spray.

What notes I get from this:

An opening that's all clean musk and something soapy, perhaps the orris root. And then underneath that, a watery, transparent patchouli and something a bit spicy. I'm always surprised this is considered a men's scent, because it's wearable, light oriental to me.

my hunny has had this one. its nothing special. not offensive or expensive. just a basic, ordinary scent for day. lots of notes listed, but they really don't come thru all that much. to me, this is a not too sweet, powdery, musk, with a distinct scent of sandlewood, which is actually nice. just an average 5 or 6 out of 10, imo.

The opening is harsh and unpleasant, but doesn't last that long. The drydown is a bit unbalanced and rough, but not bad. No, it can't compete against other, similar fragrances, even Lalique Pour Homme (lion), which isn't that expensive either, but it does have it's own character. It's somewhere between Boss #1 and Bois du Portugal, but of course less refined than either. I find these kinds of fragrances lacking in dynamism, especially the Bois du Portugal kind, so I'll just say that if you are a fan of them, and would like to add some variety, you might as well grab a bottle of this, due to the low price.
While this may come across as "old lady" to many, I wouldn't be surprised if cowboys a hundred years ago wouldn't think this was "classy," not that people of today care all that much about such things!

Nimue666
Nimue666

A little trashy at first, but the lingering drydown is lovely. Sandlewood? Amber? Nice and sweet but spicy. Not masculine at all, but in a good way.

larali
larali

Somebody said this is feminine? HUH?

I fell in love with my husband wearing this. Now he won't wear it. He is into lighter scents and thinks this is "cheap". But I still like it. Better than the lighter stuff for sure. Sexy but it probably depends on the guy.

Miyavi
Miyavi

Such a good long lasting scent. It smells like a...cowboy. But that's a good thing. I really enjoy this. The price is good too. It is so timeless and classic....im on a horse...cuz im a cowboy.

ilikethequiet
ilikethequiet

Powdery Sage and lavender in the opening put me in a calm mood. The opening notes almost feel like a stress-relief aromatherapy blend. There's tons of greens and wood in the middle notes, and the geranium adds some brightness. I definitely smell the honey and the powdery-sweet amber in the dry down, with just a hint of musk for warmth. I don't smell the vanilla, though.

This is a comforting scent for me, warm, soft and herbal. It's perfect for quiet days. A classic treat at a very low price.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Women like this one because it's Norell for men. It's really a feminine perfume - and not even a very complex one - marketed for men. On my skin this resembles human urine, and I just can't wear it, but I guess it works for someone out there. I've never known anyone who wears it, and probably never will.

andy
andy

i love the ruggedness in this scent and its a great masculine aroma for a great price

Malegria
Malegria

This is a scent my unsophisticated husband was wearing when we just met.Back then, I dismissed it with a scorn - too ordinary, too 80-ish, smelled like a cologne that a barber would spray on his clients. Recently I tested it for fun - and it is quite interesting. Yes, the beginning is very simple, all lavender leaves and citrus, too sharp....then it comes the heart that stays for a loooong time ( the staying power is really good, btw) - nothing special, a regular 80s cheap cologne opening - but the base surprised me. It felt warm and almost feminine, and I could smell honey and a little bit of beeswax, too, with the sweet spoonful of vanilla an a very warm and gentle musk.
But - except the base - it still smells pretty cheap.It`s just not worth it to wait that long....