Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Bois du Portugal Creed for men

Bois du Portugal Creed for men
dislike

Bois du Portugal Creed for men Pictures

Bois du Portugal by Creed is an Oriental Woody fragrance for men, inspired by the fragrant trees of Portugal. Bois du Portugal was launched in 1987. The nose behind this fragrance is Olivier Creed Sixth Generation.

The word millesime appears on many CREED fragrance bottles and is a mark of quality. The millesime designation means that the best crops from a particular year’s harvest were used in the creation of that particular bottle of CREED fragrance.

This warm and rich fragrance enchants with opening notes of bergamot, a lavender heart, and a complex woody base of Mysore sandalwood, vetiver ambergris and cedar.

Bergamot

Atao

Bois du Portugal Fragrance Reviews

Layton S
Layton S

I wear fragrance every day and when I initially sampled BdP I loved it. I felt awesome wearing it. It has an old school smell to it but it is different than the others and it's what I felt a gentleman would smell like.

I went about a week without wearing any fragrances and that seemed to have reset my nose because I sampled BdP again and found it to be way to potent.

I still like the initial old school smell you get when first applied however, whatever is in it that gives it its fresh and cool smell is waaaay over-bearing. I scrubbed it off my arm and the residual smell was still too much.

Bunino
Bunino

PDN New York is cheaper and imo better than BDP.

rod7elfo

The formula had changed? I love BdP and yesterday bought a new bottle... But there's something different... I sadly felt it week...

ssq
ssq

This creed fragrance seem to be aimed at a more mature crowd. I think it smells amazing, and I am only 22 and I also own a bottle of it. That's how good i believe it smells.

Pete89
Pete89

Even though I'm not really the target group for BDP, I decided to order a sample and test it out, and it's great! But even greater for those who can wear it. Although I'm a strong believer in 'any age can wear any perfume', this particular scent is aimed for elder men, think 35+: it has a tobacco, dry, woody smell. However, it's of great quality, long-lasting and never offensive on the projection. If that is worth the high Creed price (there are cheaper alternatives), that's up to you. Sample first and decide.

Casavulva
Casavulva

Bois du Portugal (BdP) does have a lot in common with New York. I think New York is brilliant, but a little dated mostly because of the "powdery" feel. BdP is not powdery, but "dusty". This effect I could do without, but I wonder if it is possible to do this kind of fragrance without beeing either powdery or dusty.

New York is "better" to my nose, but I prefer dusty over powdery, so the score for BdP is about the same.

The dustyness probably comes from the earthy, smokey aspect of the woods (the type of vetiver?), but the overall composition is very well blended between the bergamot and the woods/ambergris, and a lavender I cannot detect at all. No flowers and more woods sets it apart from other bergamot/vetivers (The creamy and lighter Eau Sauvage-type). Also quite linear.

I can detect som Creed-DNA (think smoothness of Virgin Island Water), and the longevity is also Creedish (not that impressive), but that is to be expected with the bergamot.

Good, but not on my buy-list. A kind of allrounder for guys +30.

Dodgy
Dodgy

Beautiful, smells of nothing so much fresh mountain air after a rainstorm, mixed with freshly chopped firewood...I love creed's fragranced, just not the pricetags

TheSultan
TheSultan

Im far from being the biggest Creed fan, but in their inventory, there are some fragrances like BduP, that are amazing. There's a warmth to this one that draws people in, because its kind of unusual, even though the notes are somewhat typical. It's one of the best lavender scents I've come across, and thr longevity is really impressive. I found a 4oz bottle at a very good price, so I really have no complaints.

zinski19901
zinski19901

I want it so bad! I had a sample of it and absolutely love the smell. It's the best woody fragrance I've came across so far and think it will be hard to beat. Hopefully, I get this for Christmas this year or something. It's vintage, elegant, classic, and great. The bergamont and lavender touch in this is pefect as well. I'm not a huge Creed Fan but do like some of their fragrances and this is the best one I've tried.

yourfriendmarito
yourfriendmarito

I am 44 wearing antaeus from Chanel. At 60, I will wear Bois du Portugal.

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

Bois du Portugal is a classic, yet timeless, scent that reminds me of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin (the Matt Helm version) every time I wear this fragrance. It's just really classy woody fragrance.

PAK
PAK

It gives an aura of a crisp arrangement of tobacco and cedar, with the woody aromatics elevating this pleasantly to a league of its own. This cologne truly smells masculine and the composition is very mature, very grounded and reassuring, fitting a mature man over 35 (in other words its not for boys!. Scents are personal in nature in terms of what one likes (kinda like ties), so the choice is yours. I happen to like this one allot!

Eos
Eos

Bois du Portugal is a wonderful, classic masculine. The bergamot opening is crisp and becoming, and I love the smoothness of the transition into the herbal lavender heart. To my nose, this has more to do with incense, cedar, lavender and vetiver than it does sandalwood so I was surprised to see the sandalwood note voted so high. The ambery, woody base is beautiful, but again I'm not picking up much of a distinct sandalwood note. Despite this confusion, I think this is very becoming and I enjoy smelling it every time my husband puts it on. This would make a great versatile signature scent for any gentleman.

rod7elfo

...This affair never will go so well
But why should I try to resist when, baby, I know so well
I've got you under (and over) my skin

Kain
Kain

What a lovely scent.
If you're into classic fragrances and you want something almost fresh that has a really good quality and balanced smell, check this one out.
At the opening I can smell all the notes that mentioned in this fragrance.
I can smell a sharp and tart citrusy scent and that's because of bergamot.
There is a beautiful creamy sandalwood in the background.
The cedar note has a sharp woody and almost peppery aroma.
I can smell the vetiver note too and it has a dirty rooty feeling.
Something that surprised me is the lavender note. lavender in many fragrances has a really cheap and synthetic cleaner smell but in this fragrance it's really well done and give the scent a sharp and clean and light soapy vibe.
As I said I can smell all these notes with a really nice balance between them. nothing is cloying and overpowering.
As time goes by, the fresh citrusy scent start to decay and scent gets smokier and woodier.
It's not that strong and I'm sure you can wear it all four seasons.
Projection is really good and longevity is around 5-7 hours on my skin.

اگر به عطرهای کلاسیک مردانه با تم بوی تقریبا خنک و مرکباتی علاقه دارین این میتونه گزینه مناسبی باشه
در رایحه ابتدایی میشه همه رایحه های ذکر شده برای این عطرُ استشمام کرد
رایحه ترنج یه بوی ترش و تند تیز مرکباتی به عطر میده
رایحه نیمه شیرین و ملایم چوب سندل هم به راحتی حس میشه که حالت چوبی و یه جورایی خامه ای مانند داره
رایحه چوب درخت سرو طبق طبیعتی که داره بوی تند و تیز چوبی و تقریبا فلفلی به عطر میده
رایحه وتیور اینجا بیشتر حس دودی و کمی خاکی داره. انگار وتیورُ با ریشه در بیاری و چند لحظه بگیری روی آتش و بر داری
بوی خاکی و کمی دودی گیاه وتیور
چیزی که برام خیلی جالبه رایحه گل لاوندر تو این عطر هست
شخصا از لاوندر بشدت بدم میاد چون تو بیشتر عطرها رایحه بسیار شیمیایی مانند و شبیه مواد شوینده شیمایی رو تداعی میکنه
مثل ژان پال گولتیر لـِـمال که بوی مایع شیشه پاک کن میده خاک بر سر، اما تو این عطر کیفیت بسیار خوبی داره و رایحه ملایم و تند و تیز گلی و تا حدی صابونی به عطر میده
همه این رایحه ها با دز بسیار خوبی بصورتی که هیچ رایحه ای توی ذوق نزنه با هم ترکیب شدن
با گذر زمان رایحه مرکباتی ترنج ضعیف و ضعیفتر میشه و عطر بوی کمی دودی تر و کمی چوبی تر به خودش میگیره
البته خیلی قوی و زنننده نیست و جوریه که به نظر من میشه هر 4 فصل ازش استفاده کرد
پخش بوش خوبه و ماندگاری نسبتا خوبی در حد 5-7 ساعت روی پوست داره

robg303
robg303

Wow!

I was going to do a review of this, but I see there are several in depth reviews and some strong opinions of this scent. So, I'll keep it short.

This was the first Creed fragrance I purchased and my first high end fragrance.

I like lavender, but didn't want to smell like a potpourri. Bois du Portugal is much more refined than that. It's sweet, woodsy, a little aromatic and lightly spiced as well.

I will say, it's a more mature scent and brings to mind the 40's, 50' and 60's era man, tailored suits, a glass of scotch, a cigar and a million dollar smile.

Frank Sinatra would be proud of me!

Jeffreyhoar82
Jeffreyhoar82

Anyone know it this batch number Ca1to5 is legit for a 1oz bottle of creed bois du Portugal thanks

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

RATED R - FOR MATURE AUDIENCES

All the notes are present and accounted for - exquisitely blended into a rich, refined, and robust fragrance.

BdP is for a Man's Man.

silverlook1

I know what quality means and yes, I see the difference between Unforgiven and MI. And yes, I also realise that all the crap "colognes" try to copy the big boys like Creed. I'm just saying.. smells really the same. Not trying to offend anyone who loves it, I'm just stating a fact that my grandfather smelled exactly like this. That's all. Don't take it the wrong way.

jamwires
jamwires

silverlook1 - you do realize this came out in 1987 right? And if you think the quality in BdP is remotely comparable with a drugstore cologne, yikes bro...yikes.

silverlook1

Holy cow.. I did not see that coming from Creed. I'm sure some people out there will feel the same.. but it's more of a personal / family thing. This smells EXACTLY and I mean.. EXACTLY like my Grandfather's cologne. From the little things I remember it wasn't Creed - yeah I'm 100% sure cause there was no Creed here in Poland when he was still alive. Althought he was a doctor and probably could spend much more on perfume than Your average Joe - I'm preety sure it was just some cheap aftershave. So... yyyyea, another heads up to all of You people who are ready to throw money on stuff that is absolutely NOT original, not unique and most of all NOT worth the price. Oh yea, and don't give me that crap about the quality. Some smell memories are VERY precise and strong.. my grandfather is one of those memories. This Creed is not worth the pricetag and is hella old fashioned. But then again I do admit that because it's the way that my grandfather smelled I absolutely CANNOT imagine wearing this or smelling it on anyone else.

My man Redbeard says it best...This is suave!
A real mans fragrance and usually I'd come out with some tired cliche about respecting the old skool but not really liking it...which is totally the case and true in most instances.
However, this fragrance is absolute magic!
My thought process was...
Love it on the card tester... very unique Creed manage to squeeze out something different despite being a classic mixture of heavy sandalwood & Lavander.
Tried on my skin...That unique signiture was a little heavy on me and I satrted to change my mind about it.
1 Hour into the drydown the love had returned with abundance.
This is a manly, mature beast and ages like a fine cognac or wine on your skin...it's brilliant.
It's the top notes of bergamot that set it apart because although fleeting, give the whole composition sharpness.
I get comparisons with lots of classic mens fragrances but this is not Aramis by any stretch it's yet another example of how good Creed are.
This is the best interpretation of a manly scent because something about it is interesting and intoxicating.

Redbeard
Redbeard

(Written concurrently with Parfums de Nicolai New York)

A rich, suave wood scent with a somewhat intimate tone. Opens more soapy and floral than PdN New York, with a fair amount of jasmine in the top that I can smell from up close. It's slightly more gentle and feminine and doesn't penetrate as far as New York. If you want quiet sweet woods, this is probably it...everything blends into a single warm blanket of scent and no single note stands out to me. I do, however, fear this going over the edge into Too Sweet territory because I find more vanilla and less spice in it. It just doesn't feel as powerful as New York, so I'd place it more in the context of snuggling with a lady at home than out in the professional world. Or if New York seems like it's being too forceful, BdP is the one for you. Alternatively, if you want more of the jasmine or other florals in your spicy wood scent (getting farther from New York), you may want to try Rochas Lui, which is another notch further up the floral scale.

ThatMakesScents
ThatMakesScents

Sampled this again from the Creed Boutique here in NYC. Very weak projection on me. I don't remember it being as bad 1 year ago when I tried it last.

Royal Oud projected and lasted much longer on my skin.

This was a complete dud this time around.

$330 + tax = Laughable

I wish Parfums De Nicolai would come out with an intense version of New York.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

Bois du Portugal is a classical, timeless fragrance for fuzzy men. Some will call it dated, but I call it timeless. It's a perfect scent for chilly autumn days, and you must have a certain style to pull it off. White iron shirt and elegant leather shoes are minimum requirement, and a casual attire is forbidden! Warm, woody, classical and elegant. A must have for gentlemen.

nicok
nicok

So oldshool. early 90s scent

agoyofd
agoyofd

This is one of my best fragrances from Creed along with Aventus, Virgin Island Water, Royal Oud and Original Vetiver. I don’t consider myself as a diehard fan of Creed. I see myself as a fan of beautiful fragrances. I respect this house for their fragrances. This is not a review of notes. It is rather a review of what I feel about the scent. BDP is one of the best because of how I feel when I wear it. I feel so lifted and I don’t know what it is about this scent. Aventus makes me feel confident; Virgin Island Water makes me feel jovial. OV makes me feel clean. Tuscan leather from Tom Ford makes me feel worthy and mentally rich. Musk Ravageur makes me feel impenetrable. BDP is so harmonious with the core of my being that I feel like I am a piece of art. I feel like I am climbing on the back of a giant. I know that this scent is not for everybody. Some people dislike and some find it too old fashion. As far as I am concerned I can only thank Creed for this piece of magic. It stays about 10h on my skin and I am wearing it today since 7 am and now it is 2 pm it is still projecting. I don’t really care about compliments when I wear fragrance, I care about what I feel when I am wearing a fragrance. I am glad I bought this fragrance. The only regret is I bought a 75 ml instead of 120 ml. This is in my top 5
Scent : 10/10
Projection 10/10
Uniqueness: I don’t know
Worth the price: of course

jhitt793
jhitt793

Extremely powdery and woody. Brings to mind old fashioned barbershops from yesteryear. Seems more appropriate for older, distinguished men. (10)

b360
b360

this fragrance is very similiar to pierre cardin or original old spice but better if that makes any sense.....it is what those try to be and i enjoy wearing it to bed sometimes after a shower cuz its long lasting and the smell on my skin changes overnight...clean soapy woodsy...really a scent for older dudes tho in my opinion cuz it reminds of my father....8/10

Idlehands
Idlehands

I wish I could get my hands on a bottle of this stuff. Def. for a mature,older more confident man...but I would sure wear it for myself. The projection on this is very good. At first spray it does not smell great but one the dry down starts it really is a very nice smell. If you can pull off a mature frag this one is a keeper.

kazewayz
kazewayz

A classy, gentleman type perfume. It is for older man for sure. Very masculine. Fresh, citrusy, green, earthy, woody. Although not my favorite from the house of Creed, I have to admit it is quality. Try it.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Oh, this is nice stuff!

It goes on unremarkably and I'm thinking, "Another ho hum generic fragrance." But in about an hour it takes on the woodsy/spicy notes I recall from the way men's fragrances used to smell in the 1960's. (Could it be that once, long ago, Old Spice smelled this good?) Not dated - classic. Very nice, very masculine.

I understand that Frank Sinatra used this fragrance, so there's a bit of Rat Pack at the Sands 1962 Ring a Ding Ding to this. (To paraphrase a quote another reviewer used.)

But wait! In the best tradition of the Chairman of the Board, the show's not over. At the three or four hour mark it morphs into what smells a lot like a Guerlain to me: a powdery lavender sandalwood scent that reminds me a lot of Heritage. And that's great, too!

Did I finally find a Creed that's worth what they're asking?

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

I blind bought Creed Bois du Portugal and this is the 6th Creed I currently own. To be blunt, I don't like it and I try really hard to enjoy it. It reminds me of Clubman talc or the splash the barbers use after shaving the back of your neck. It is a mixture of Old Spice and the green bottle of Polo in my opinion. It is not a bad scent, just not how I want to remembered. This is for the mature crowd and when I spray it in the air, the first thing that comes to mind, is elderly people....
I will keep trying to like it but I just might sell this bottle. This isn't for everyone. Do not blind buy BDP if you know what's good for you. I knew that sooner or later I would come across a bottle of Creed that I was dissatisfied with and here it is.

K1
K1

Among rows of stuff that occupied all the shelves in all the shops and you don't even take into cause you already know how mainstream they are, it's quite attractive. You find a retro fresh pure masculine dandy perfume.
Bois du Portugal is a neat fresh herbal sandalwood/lavender lady killer like those in the 70's. The perfume of a chic hair-chested man in green grey check-patterned suit and bowtie and golf shoes walking by the cafes and boutiques holding a folded newspaper.
I think I have some talents in play-writing!!

sotiriosc
sotiriosc

On first application you may think that its made for an older crowd. The next day you will put on other cologne and wonder what is soo good about it. Then realise its Bois du potugal.

Has a very musky piercing quality at first. Is some what linear, I would not go so far as to say it is because the scent does transition. It last for ever and has the sweetest dry down I have found in any male creed.

I must say I have tried it 5 times and it only gets better and better. Will be buying a bottle hopefully soon. Just wish I had it already as I smell it on me right now.

EDIT*

Just got myself some pure ambergris. That sweetness at the end is ambergris. This is the only fragrance that I know of to actually have so much ambergris in it.

drofwonders
drofwonders

Excuse me, but did I just walk into a nursing home? Smells that way. Yick! Old lady cologne. Creed: Really?!?

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

A burst of lavendar, backed by amber, ambergris, vetiver, cedar and sandalwood.

This may sound strange, but to me, it smells like Yves Saint Laurent's M7, but lighter, fresher and a bit more floral.

It's a linear fragrance and a simple one, but that's okay because it's great throughout it's whole life cycle, consistent and reliable.

A simple, yet masculine gentleman's scent. This is not mind-blowing and it doesn't create extreme emotions for me (as maybe a scent like Aventus would), but it's a reliable day to day scent. Would make a great signature scent and you could wear this any day of the year for almost any occasion. Projection and longevity are both good.

For those wondering if this is too mature for you, I'll put it in simple terms. This is not as dated as Aramis or Polo (original). If you can wear Yves Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche or Burberry London, you can wear Bois Du Portugal.

Basically, this scent is old school, mature and masculine, but it is very wearable in today's world.

This is basically the eggs and toast of fragrances. Eggs and toast you can eat everyday and it tastes good. But how often do you find yourself saying "OH MY GOD. I CANT WAIT TO EAT EGGS AND TOAST TOMORROW!!!".

It's a bit pricy, but if you have the money and you're interested in a scent like this, I would recommend looking into it.

fuggerone
fuggerone

a classic spicy/ woody concoction , old school scent some batches are more powdery then others....one of my favs from Creed, maybe my number one, a pure distillation of male classiness.....Sinatra at Sands 1982....for grown ups, all purpose scent! 10/10

word-doctor
word-doctor

INITIAL REVIEW: I truly love this frag. Evokes a lot of memories for me because of the cedar note, which is not "new"--it's "aged" when it is blended with the other accords. In particular, the lavender takes the edges off the other notes, without actually smelling much like lavender.

Longevity is good for Creed (maybe 4-5 hours on my scent-killing skin). Projection is average. I bought a sample and wish I could afford to keep this around, as it is marvelous for work and I find it wonderfully calming.

EDIT: I just can't afford this and will have to look for classy cedar alternatives.
Sillage: 6/10

Swahili
Swahili

العطر التالي على قائمة عطوري القادمة بإذن الله
يقال ان ثباته وفوحانه وعطره ممتازة مما رغبني في شرائه

jgirgar
jgirgar

Yes, I have BDP and reserve this generally for the fall on "dressier" occasions. I was inspired to buy this back in September 2010 for an event I went to for a 1920's theme for Elves and More...raising money for bikes for kids at Christmas. It's a powerhouse Creed and lasts well on the skin all day. I love the opening and wish I could find a linear scent like that as well. It's a classic fragrance and not what you would call an A&F style. The bergamont in this is superb. It's a real gentleman's scent. JG 051212

natalia.morozova
natalia.morozova

Excellent - 10 out of 10! For me Creed BdP is one of the most intense male parfum experiences - pure masculine, true wood, very warm and delicate with noticeable sandal in base – true masterpiece for those who care about value, style and love woody fragrances. Old-fashioned but very remarkable. It is for an exalted man with perfect outfit style.

jrichart
jrichart

Bois Du Portugal me ha sorprendido gratamente al contrario de como se muestran muchos usuarios que mantienen que se parece a otras fragancias como pueden ser Caron Third Man, Heritage, etc. Me ha sorprendido satisfactoriamente porque Bois Du Portugal lo he encontrado un perfume perfume, con esto quiero decir que es el típico perfume cuyas máximas son elegancia sin aristas, refinamiento y simplicidad, que son los vocablos que en mi opinión claro está deben reunir todo perfume de calidad. Bois Du Portugal es un perfume excesivamente conservador y formal pero esto no quiere decir que sea malo, hoy en día sucede mucho en la mayoría de las personas que una fragancia cuando es sería y formal es sinónimo de viejo, caducado y aburrido, y esto me parece un error garrafal pues la perfumería moderna no es que sea precisamente buena en mi opinión ya que casi todas las fragancias que lanzan incluso las grandes casas de perfumería que han lanzado perfumes legendarios como son Chanel y Guerlain hoy en día han declinado y se han sumado a la creación de fragancias genéricas. Volviendo a Bois Du Portugal, ha pesar de ser una fragancia formal y seria estamos ante un perfume exquisito, de una elegancia magistral y de una proyección, perdurabilidad y sillage muy buena para ser un perfume Creed. En Bois Du Portugal se cumple de nuevo el axioma menos es mas, pues Bois Du Portugal es un oriental amaderado compuesto prácticamente de lavanda, cedro, sándalo de Mysore y vétiver pero en Bois Du Portugal también sucede como en la simplicidad de ingredientes de Pour Monsieur de Chanel que estan inteligentemente integrados unos con otros y en perfecto balance. En resumen y en mi humilde opinión Bois Du Portugal es un perfume obra maestra de la simplicidad y equilibrio de ingredientes y obra maestra de la verdadera elegancia. Lo recomiendo para invierno y otoño o como mucho para una tarde primaveral y para salidas formales y para un rango de edad de 20 a 65 años.

One of the best deliveries by Creed yet still not entirely stisfying. Bois De Portugal starts with an uncompromising leather/tobacco accord that immediately brings to mind of late seventies / early eighties macho fragrances. In this phase BDP is dry, assertive and by all means masculine but, at the same time it's surrounded by a strong deja-vu feel that keeps going on and on and on...The fragrance evolves then into a sort of pwdery-woody oriental drydown that's even more conventional and unoriginal.

Overall Bois De Portugal smells fine but, as often with Creed, you can have better alternatives at 1/2 the price.

Rating: 6.5-7/10

marioslg3
marioslg3

I expected something more in this perfume. I find it quite silimar with Heritage Guerlain. The main difference is the opening. Bois is more citrusy in the beginning than Guerlain. My wife bought me the 2.5 oz and i used it only 2 days. The base notes are full of sandalwood, slightly sweet and powdery. I will never use it again as is not the type of masculine scent i like....I bought it for EUR 165 and is for sale if someone wants it. EUR 100 and the delivery on me. Just sent me a message.

Grottola
Grottola

Bois du Portugal reminds me a LOT of New York by Nicolaï or Heritage by Guerlain, but not as overtly powdery. Bois du Portugal, at least on me, has more neroli up top and isn't as "dandified" as either of those fragrances; it's more on the woody-spicy side. I've tried it before and I know I liked it, but I'll need to give it another few wearings before I make a final call on it.

Orpheus99
Orpheus99

When I sprayed this on, I got a nice spice blend from a distance. I put my nose close and sniffed. DIRTY FEET. Sharp and pungent. Whew, that's unpleasant. 10 minutes later, I get wet animal. 30 minutes in, the animalic scent begins to fade, and I start getting a hay note. 1 hour in and it has faded to a nice light musk smell, similar to Muscs Koublai Khan. The spice smell I get from a distance throughout. If you can make it past the the first 30 minutes, it's not bad. Just keep your nose away from the application point. Grade: C+

shenanigans
shenanigans

This is one very capable man. Absolutely confident and self assured. Quiet and calm. The sort of man that leads flawlessly when he dances.

Does that make him an old soul? Probably, but he is definitely sexier for it.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Bois du Portugal is arguably Creed's best masculine. Unfortunately, one could also contend it's Creed's dullest masculine. I think it's an over-priced clone of Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur - which smells better by the way, even in cologne form. An explosion of aroma-therapeutic lavender off the top of BdP slides rapidly into a sandalwood, cedarwood, and ambergris arrangement. Cedar is dominant, and frankly I dislike cedar, enough to make avoiding this note in fragrance a priority, no matter how high-end or well conceived it is. However, the cedar in Bois du Portugal melds well with the sandalwood, which is dense and creamy. I may have more issues with the thick lavender because I dislike poorly-rendered lavender almost as much as well-rendered cedar, and in BdP, the lavender is far from great. Caron for men boasts a far better herbal lavender accord, and even Cool Water, with its blatantly synthetic "blue" lavender, manages to integrate the note with more finesse. Here it just smells detached and loud, as though the nose behind the perfume wanted lavender to introduce the woods and then make for the door. Try this one if you're looking for a traditional masculine with classical elements, and are tired of the legions of olfactory mushes that plague the genre. But be warned - beyond having excellent note separation, this Creed offers little to the imagination.

Valentino
Valentino

Oh, this is good stuff! Bois du Portugal is a warm and heady concoction of woods (Mysore sandalwood and cedar), vetiver, lavender and bergamot. It's for those 'larger than life' characters. The man who wears BdP walks a fine line between gentleman and arrogant prick, but either way you adore him!

While there is something pompous or ostentatious about BdP for the bystander, the wearer himself feels cocooned and comforted. It's the fragrance equivalent of being chauffeur driven around in a Rolls-Royce all day.

I would recommend this for a mature man with deep pockets mainly because Creed prices are ridiculous and you will definitely want more!

(For Baronbvp: I read somewhere that this is Paul Newman's signature fragrance and thanks for your kind words on my Habit Rouge review!).

Similar drydown to PdN's New York (but that one has strong orange blossom). If you want a super cheap version of this, try Realm for Men, which I actually like more, because I feel it is a bit more dynamic (though it does smell a bit cheaper). The strong lavender makes it "masculine," simply by conventions that developed over the last several decades in the perfume industry. The balance here is quite good; it smells a little bit like maple syrup, but not enough to be irritating (as some feel towards the Marquis de Sade unisex fragrance). I don't get much wood here. If you want that, I suggest Lalique Pour Homme (lion). No, I don't think it's worth the price, relatively speaking, but some people have so much money that it really isn't a big difference, and so they buy what they like best.

UPDATE: I've been told the samples I bought from a discounter site popular among online fragrance fans have "dead" top notes. I don't pay much attention to top notes anyway. What I get is a syrupy, slightly musky blend of amber/vanilla, spices, lavender, and civet. It's very blended so there might be mild woods here too. Good quality ingredients but very similar to Heritage, though without the patchouli and there's less aggressive lavender here. I find it cloying, however.

Cheeva
Cheeva

I bought a sample of this on ebay this week waiting for it to come in stay tuned.

**Update**
12-16-2010.

After more than a month waiting, I finally received my sample.

The opening is very much a woody oriental; so much so that the beginning is very similar to Creed Himalaya IMO.

I agree with shamus 1 in that the drydown does smell like a spicy Chanel Pour Monsieur. I think it is the sandalwood mixed with the vetiver that is giving a vanilla smell; similar to Chanel P. M. Imo.

Overall, not a bad fragrance
But not for me.

**UPDATE NO 2**
12-17-2010.

after another full day of wearing this..I gotta say, I'm hooked. This is truly an intoxicating fragrance the woody cedar spice is amazing; not to mention the longevity, on my skin it lasted a good 10 hours no joke; This stuff makes its presence known. Its a throwback to the 80s power frags; and takes no prisoners.

definitely for the 35 and up gentleman. who wants to exude money and class; not for the teenage club hoppers this stuff is so potent , it will probably kill them.

Omega Man
Omega Man

Spicy, dry, woody, and old-fashioned. Smells somewhere between Lagerfeld and Santos. BdP smells very nice and is masculine to the core, but let's face it: Creed is overpriced.

Creed BOIS DU PORTUGAL has a marked incense note, which dominates the composition from start to finish. I do not even detect the lavender, to be honest, so strong is the incense. The highly oriental quality surprised me from the listed notes: cedar, sandalwood, lavender, and vetiver, so I went on a fact-finding mission and learned that both cedar and sandalwood are often used to make incense.

Although the Creed people say that BOIS DU PORTUGAL is appropriate also for women, it seems more feminine than masculine to me, and I would not be surprised if some men felt uncomfortable wearing a fragrance with such a typical feminine oriental-woody quality. Not that it is overly sweet, but it is somewhat sweet.

BOIS DU PORTUGAL has superlative staying power and medium sillage, but it's not anything that you won't find many versions of in the women's oriental woody group.

mal23
mal23

This is for an older man in his mid-age or later. Not a youthful or interesting scent. Very peppery with a little bit of lavender and woods mixed together. Not for me. Overall a 5/10 scent

this is the perfect oriental, valilla type of scent, so sofisticade, well made and it smells natural... i dont know why Turin rating this one with only 2 stars.. and others craps of perfumery like Beyond Paradise, that is awful, he rated with 5 stars.. he is crazy... Perfume is a personal type of thing...

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

another, fantastic cologne from creed for men,i just started to ware creeds fragrances,one of the reasons,is on how they stick to tradition, from one genaration to the next.also the soup never chages the notes i started with one ,now i,have10, and they use real ambergriss,now thats class,im looking to buy next creeds tabarome millesime,if you look close you can see the smeel of real ambergriss,im glad i made my first purchased at nieman marcus,and im stll going that says it all keep sniffing

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Another awsome stuff from one of my favorite niche house! They are making great great blends with some of the best ingredients over the globe.

Maybe this one is for older people but I am not a teen...

Dick Turpin Esq
Dick Turpin Esq

This is a unique and ravishing scent that can only be worn by gentlemen of an evening who have romance on the mind. It is intoxicating to females and a wonderful demure fragrance.

Galleddrim
Galleddrim

This is a man's scent. I guess there are only woods and grasses in the pyramid, and I certainly smell that . . . but I also get the impression of deep, animalic, slightly untamed beast hiding just beneath the surface. It has that musky dry edge to it. For occasions when one wants to make an impact.

cbstarker
cbstarker

When I first started into the world of fragrances, one of the first things I learned was the dichotomous opinions of the Creed house. Over and over again, many reviewers stated that a certain other fragrance was just as good as a Creed but at a fraction of the price. Well, I went through a few of those something or others and will say that you get what you pay for.

Many Creed lovers will also say that BdP doesn't deliver the way other Creed fragrances do: low sillage, low longevity, and so on. But I disagree. I think of Bois de Portugal as the "soir" to their other more vociferous fragrances and it's all the more better for it. This is the quiet little so-and-so in the back of the room that's been holding out. When you finally introduce yourself, you end up going on a date!

What I like best about BdP is that it is like a choir: It combines a variety of notes that you can easily single out but work together to create a mellifluous song. And on top of that they are some of my favourite notes.

The is perhaps the most unique and well-formulated woody oriental that I have tried. The lavender is more like a movie preview before the feature presentaion. It provides a slightly floral opening that sticks around for a while to balance some of the woody notes but the vetiver note is by far the most interesting. Without it BdP would just be a fairly typical woody oriental but the slightly sour vetiver gets in there and makes things a little earthier, more grounded. It smells "real" and not like some delusion of grandeur.

Oh, and longevity? Sillage? I like my fragrances to stay close but last a long time. Bingo, Bois de Portugal is a beautiful, long lasting body-wrapping fragrance that captures many pleasing elements - floral, grassy, earthy and woody.

shamus1

Bois du Portugal is growing on me, and I'm wearing it as I write this. I'm surprised it's known as a "woody oriental". It smells like a leather chypre. Maybe it's wood oil I'm smelling, but it smells like leather to me. I like it. Reminds me of Aramis or a much more spicy Chanel Pour Monsieur.

shamus1

I just tried BDP for the first time today, and have to say that it's definitely a quality product, but not my cup of tea. It is extremely spicy and woody, but in a rather stodgy, dandified way. It reminds me of a lot of classic British men's fragrances from the turn of the century; BDP could just as easily been released by Floris. If you're like me and are prefer Annick Goutal's or Acqua di Parma's style of men's fragrances (i.e., "bitter" and "Mediterranean", respectively), BDP might not be for you. But if you're looking for a powerful, virile, spicy and leathery smelling high quality fragrance, BDP might be right up your alley. Just keep in mind that it definitely brings to mind the image of an uptight dandy.

Bois du Portugal by Creed 4.21 out of 5 based on 304 ratings and 63 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Creed Bois du Portugal fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Creed Bois du Portugal, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bois du Portugal by Creed. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bois du Portugal by Creed represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.