Designers » C » Floral « Groups

Love in Black Creed for women

Love in Black Creed for women
dislike

Love in Black Creed for women Pictures Love in Black Creed for women Pictures Love in Black Creed for women Pictures

Love in Black is a perfume for women introduced in 2008. Inspired by former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy, the fragrance is composed of ingredients from the places this intriguing public figure visited and loved.

Top notes encompass Italian violet, night-blooming jasmine and cedar from Virginia. The heart adds Florentine iris, cloves and Tonkin musk, while the base introduces Bourgogne black currant and Bulgarian rose. The flacon is created from black sand like that of the Greek isles. This edition celebrates magic of each woman and evening elegance, which is completed by a ribbon bow on the neck of the bottle. Love in Black was created by Olivier Creed Sixth Generation and Erwin Creed Seventh Generation.

Italian Violet Virginia Cedar Wildflowers

iris Cloves Musk

Black Currant Bulgarian Rose

Love in Black Fragrance Reviews

John Mason
John Mason

On me, this is extremely dry. It actually makes me thirsty, as in, I want to freaking drink a glass of water everytime I catch a whiff of it.
After some time, it smells like I am sniffing sawdust remnants from a pencil sharpener after using it on a very dry and old pencil.

I absolutely adore Love In Black's opaque bottle design and black packaging so I had my fingers and toes crossed that I would eventually fall head over heels for the scent also. I do love the smell of violets and I own many violet scents including Fragonard's Violette, Tom Ford's Violet Blonde and Jean Charles Brosseau's Violette Menthe. I was almost convinced that Love In Black would be my violet holy grail.

Love In Black is a beautiful, elegant and somewhat powdery representation of violet. It is ever so slightly edgy in its approach, but for the most part it is a classic English floral.

There is a tendency for perfumers to add a sugary note to violet perfumes as a way of appealing to the masses. Thankfully that sugary-sweet aroma is absent in Love In Black's scent pyramid. The result is a sometimes masculine, unforgiving blend of rich blackcurrant, earthy iris and powdery violets.

Like Sherapop, I really enjoyed Love In Black's opening. I was quite enamoured with its boldness and classic femininity. Unfortunately Love In Black tends to lose momentum as the fragrance develops on the skin. It goes from being a strong, powdery violet and iris blend, to a musky, delicate and oddly sour blackcurrant and cedar blend.

If Love In Black were more affordable I would have definitely bought myself a bottle, however due to Creed's somewhat extreme prices, I have to be realistic. I find Love In Black incredibly similar to my much more affordable bottle of Fragonard's Violette. I also don't find it as intriguing as the wild Stephen Jones, commissioned by Comme des Garcons. It's more than pleasant, even attractive on the skin, but Love In Black is just not for me, nor right for my collection.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

This one looked all right for me and I was even mentally prepared to fall in love with something so expensive. Luckily for my wallet, however, the black currant and very powdery violet just combine to smell of violet sweeties: dusty and sugary. And... that's it.

I kept sniffing away - can I detect the cedar and clove? Is there a musky drydown developing? And how about the naughty leather note others have reported? Not on me, to my great disappointment.

So, on me this is a linear fragrance that smells of sweeties. If it works for you and you get more complexity and a better range of notes, that's great, and frankly, I'm pretty envious. But I strongly suggest anyone try this before buying as it could be an expensive disappointment.

Good if: your skin plays up the different notes.

scythe
scythe

Love the name! Love the bottle! I wish it wasn't so similar smelling to l'erbolario accordo viola, which to me is an excellent quality powdery violet at a fraction of the cost!

Musume
Musume

I'm afraid The Perfumed Court has messed up my last order, because I'm not smelling the rose, the lipstick or the Insolence smellalike. I smell violets and leather, maybe a hint of iris, and musk on the drydown, to me Love in Black is a well bred girl gone even better, this violet goes to an Ivy League college leather clad on a bike, smokes Black Devil cigarettes and dates wrong guys for the right reasons. My lastest violet love.

Aiant
Aiant

Ok. Honestly most of my recent purchases have been blind, thanks to Fragrantica. So with confidence I bought my first Creed, in a place where they had no tester, anxious to get home and spritz my wrist. At first spray it smell like París YSL, but only a few moments. Then, it borns another face, more deep and dark,it remind me a little to TF black orchid and a sweet whistle of Fleurs d'ombre violette and menthe by JCB. It's strange, so i like it. Sweet, with some of fruit, but not girly, this perfume is misterious, sexy and elegant, all in one.If you want feel yourself like a new woman, different, and make turn the heads to you, you must buy it. Is true, is not a cheap fragrance, but it cost drop to drop , this price. Only for someone, with personality.
Sillage good, and very good lasting power. Best of all, I fell in love again! (Fingers up)

auroramaria
auroramaria

Very floral and powdery scent with a hint of sweetness from the currants.
LIB is a very rich and opulent floral fragrance.
This scent draws many compliments when I wear it but I don't wear it that often nowadays a bit too floral for me anyway it's anamazing fragrance suitable for the colder months.
If you love violet and iris give it a try also longevity is insane it lasts up to 10 hours on me. A bit pricey but you get your money's worth

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

well this was curious - a scent I had been wanting to try for some time but always overlooked when actually in the store faced with a wall of perfume - the black bottle not catching my attention besides the bright colours and packaging around it.
So today I sprayed some on my arm as I passed through town, and I was surprised - in the bottle this smelled of lovely violets. On my skin something weird happened. Digestives and hobnobs to be precise! For some reason every time I brought my arm near my nose it smelled just like I had rubbed biscuits on my arm! Oh yes I could smell some faint violet beneath, but overwhelmingly I got biscuits. How bizarre. I asked 2 other ladies who were browsing what they thought, one said "ooh parma violet sweets", the other said "is that bisucits?"! So it wasn't just me.
Anyway after about half an hour this settled into a sort of dirty sweaty scent, possibly the cloves which can do this on me. Longevity reasonable, a faint trace of violet id discernible after 8 hours, but for me this was a strange experience and not one worth £99 for 30ml!

Phantosmia Bella
Phantosmia Bella

Woody, dark, wet violets - a forest nymph, both serious and seductive, wild and reserved.
I just love to drown my nose into my wrists while wearing this scent. I don't get much rose, fruit or even iris, but an amazing combination of violets and deep green moss, excellent woody notes.

I fell in love with this scent and, for me, it's well worth its price.
It's both exciting and comforting, suitable for every day or for an elegant evening.
A true candidate for my signature scent.

Longevity is moderate to good and sillage moderate.

rosecat
rosecat

I get juicy black current and candied violets with a powdery cedar base! A deliciously dark powdered violet. I cannot compare with anything else, but this is what i am looking for. Nothing old fashioned, quite modern. Full bottle asap!

violetbat
violetbat

I was intrigued to sample this. I really wanted to like it. Great name, great bottle. I have other Creed and like this house generally.
This one, however, was revolting to my nose. All I got was burnt rubber. I would be curious to smell this on someone else though.

Norgirl
Norgirl

This beauty put me right back on to the Violet cravings
First when applied i was a bit hesitent , it was bold and strong, a bit dry almost and mysterious.
But after wearing it and getting to know it on my skin this realy is a beauty.
The Violet is damp and dark Its like a clearing in he woods filled with Dark purple Violets . The damp earth and moss give it a crisp freshness , I can feal the Blaccurrant and it adds to this a fruityness and also a dryness . how can they be mixed he he , The Rose and musk also pretty bright and Pink adds to the Violet a Romantic and flirty feal. Reminds me a slight bit of Paris YSL .
Cedarwood gets more prominet in the ending . I cant say i feal the Cloves much
I realy realy like this , a blind buy gone realy well .
(I can not realy relate to the comparising of Insolence and Jesus Del pozo In black, )

VintageViolet_
VintageViolet_

I am a huge violet fan, and i've been wanting to try this ever since it was recomended to me last year. I'd never heard of Creed, as it's not sold anywhere in the Highlands or in my city so whilst i was in Edinburgh for a meeting (3 & 1/2 hour journey away from here) i tried this in Jenners and i'm sad to say that i'm extremely underwhelmed :(

I got the 'sweaty socks' that others further down talk about, and no longeviry. Not worth the price tag.

If you love violet, try Lush's 'Tuca Tuca' - THE BEST VIOLET i've ever come across!

Ritarudna
Ritarudna

I'm transported to November. Crisp Autumn sunlight coming in through the French doors on a gorgeous cold morning, bed-warmed skin and soft cotton. Beautiful scent! Smoky, spicy, floral.

Vikitoria
Vikitoria

This scent is my absolute favorite, and my signature scent.

It is sophisticated, a backless black velvet gown feeling. For a floriental, the scent is quite fresh. It is cool and sweet, then turns into something warm and luscious, not too sweet, but still yummy. The violet is noticeable to me initially and during dry-down, which thrills me. The iris is in harmony with the violet and makes it even more gorgeous. The spice adds complexity, the cedar is fresh and grounds the fragrance, and is quite lovely.
Sillage is perfect.

Mellyhelly is correct, I'm a warrior-woman and LOVE it. :)

Aeternitas, you've nailed it! Make no mistake all, these fragrances are NOTHING alike. As black and white, so are Love in Black and Love in White.

If you have an affinity for violets, you simply must try.

Germany
Germany

A VIOLET ORIENTAL
My Favoriten Creed.
Violet, roses and iris , very nice composition. Indeed extremely similar to insolence and lipstick rose . Insolence being more on the younger and sweeter fruitier side and LOVE IN BLACK more grown up and earthy. (Lipstick rose being more powdery aldehydic .)
I like the ceader and cloves in here as well as the blackberries. Violets and irises are strong in the opening and the rose seems to be more in the dry down. The dry down is my favourite part, so fresh and slightly sweeter than the opening , this is when you can smell the blackberries and the rose the most. I own lipstick rose and when I wear Love in Black I constantly think of Lipstick Rose. Its a lady like perfume , very purple and feminine. Like most violet Perfumes LiB is not everyone's choice as violets are something people relate to the past. Which perhaps is what I love about it. The musk in here is clean. I just ordered a 75 ml bottle. Can't wait. This to me is an all around suitable choice for winter and summer , day and night. Love it.

Completely agree with the review by Lust87 its a sweet cosmetic elegant violet powder with black currant. So charming !

minif
minif

In the shop i was really in to it.Very unusual smell.stayed on my skin very well all day.But next day i was in the car with my bf and he sad he can't stand the smell of such strong and powdery violets(smelled like rubber).Not for me :(

rzarectum
rzarectum

Lovely fragrance but it doesn't work for me. Very heavy on the violet, it's very clean smelling and isn't sweet which is nice. I would like to swap my bottle. If anybody's interested, send me a message. :)

Lust87
Lust87

I suppose Love in Black is one of my favorite violet fragrances. I consider this perfume as pure class, sophistication and gentle feminity. In my opinion it's not an unisex at all.
Love in Black has lovely vintage twist which makes this perfume even more lovely and unusual - it's not weird, the inspiration for this perfume was Jacqueline Kennedy.
The opening can be a bit sharp, dry and earthy, because of quite strong cedar note mixed with raw violet, but it turns quickly into sweet, cosmetic, elegant powder, where the main roles play violet, warm iris and sweet, glamourous black currant. Honestly i didn't expect that mixing together powdery flowers and sweet, thick black currant juice can be so charming.
The drydown is enriched with soft, feminine musk, which makes Love in Black more powdery, elegant and gentle.
Longevity is really good, it stays on my skin about 7 - 8 hours, sillage is moderate, it's not a killer.

TakaBeata

I like to return to this scent on autumn.
It smells then so as all left to us the summer: sweet sappy fruit, trees warmed with sun, fully developed flowers !
I love this!

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

I don't care for this one. Based on the notes pyramid this is a fragrance I should love, but something just isn't working. I get a strong "uncooked spinach-and-whole-wheat spaghetti" smell with a hint of dried berries. This is a unisex fragrance. Sillage is moderate. This was a bit of a disappointment after smelling "In White," which I like much better. I don't know if this is an issue with the fragrance or with my chemistry, but it's safe to say that I won't be buying a bottle of this.

appyfaerie
appyfaerie

This is pretty, but essentially boring. It is just nice, overly simple and nothing special.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

I'm drawn to two types of fragrances, those that are light and airy- similar to Eau du Ciel - and those that are heavy, earthy, and grounding. Creed's Love in Black resonates with the later, and is definitely a great example of a fragrance that has a very earthy, woodsy-type smell to it.

The notes in this are cedar, woodsy, and have a slight hint of musk. Personally, I love the way that this smells. It is very warm and inviting - and grounding. I feel that this would be a good "business" fragrance for women - and has a strong enough base note to it where it could be worn as a unisex fragrance - very easily.

I feel like Creed may get a bad rap in their reviews based on the fact that they are so well known for their expensive perfumes. But sometimes fragrances rise to the occasion - and become worth every penny that you invest in them. Creed in Black - is turning out to be well worth it. I'm trying a small sample of this to evaluate this based on someone's recommendation - and I'm already wishing I had ordered a larger sample size! This stuff is GOOD. I really like the way that this is setting up on my skin!

-----------------

Creed's Love in Black is sexy with a bolder note of musk and cedar. I actually LOVE the way that this is setting up on my skin. The first 20 - 30 minutes, I was neutral on this fragrance, but 30 minutes into this... this is HOT! This fragrance has an ooooh la la type presence to it that I'm really liking. This is another fragrance that resonates with a lower alto - or higher tenor range. I feel that this is in that range that a lot of men like. It could be worn as a unisex fragrance for that matter. It is a really good fragrance!

There is something in this fragrance that reminds me of some of the oriental notes found in fragrances like Mitsouko Guerlain for women - which seems to be a lighter version of Youth Dew by Estee Lauder.

-----------

I'm sampling a small size of the Creed "Love in Black" and "Love in White" to see how these wear on my skin. These fragrances are very different and I wouldn't even put them in the same collection, if they were not named Black and White in the Creed "Love" line. I'm also trying a sample of Bvlgari BLV Notte - which is definitely in the same family with the Creed Love in Black. Creed Love in Black and Bvlgari BLV Notte seem to be "sister fragrances" - or at least fruits from the same tree. I feel that they could be worn as a collective "signature fragrance". You could wear the Bvlgari BLV Notte for a lighter day time fragrance and wear Creed Love in Black for a heavier winter or evening fragrance.

I think people who are drawn to Angel by Thierry Mugler - may really like these 2 fragrances. They are definitely all in the same family of fragrances! Jo Malone's Black Vetiver Cafe fragrance resonates in this same family too.

------------

Love in Black compared to Love in White - both by Creed:
By far, Love in Black is wearing much stronger and has better strength and silage than Love in White. Both transition well at about 20 - 30 minutes on the skin. I like both, they are totally different from one another. But I'm really liking the Love in Black simply because it reminds me so much of Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren, a great fragrance that I still remember from my High School days!

Those people that like L'Elephant by Kenzo will probably find that they like this fragrance too. They are in the same family of scents, most definitely!

-------------

For years, I've been trying to find a fragrance similar to Ralph Lauren's "Tuxedo" which launched for a brief time, then was pulled from the market. It has been years since I've smelled that -- but there are some notes within this fragrance that resonate with the memories that I have of RL's Tuxedo. If you lived through the start of Ralph Lauren's early designer fragrance launches, then you would remember Tuxedo, which I feel was one of my very favorite Ralph Lauren fragrances of all time.

sweetiepea161616
sweetiepea161616

I really love this one! It's nice because you don't get that sugar overload like you do in Insolence (and others). This is a beautiful violet perfume with a noticeable iris note. There is also a green aspect, as if they threw in the violet leaf as well. It manages to be a lovely, powdery violet scent without hitting you over the head with violet candy, and the scent stays as fresh as I've ever smelled in a violet-based scent. The scent is very strong but not syrupy or thick. It manages to be strong but soft and delicate. Sillage is fantastic. I would highly recommend this to a violet lover, especially if perfumes like Insolence don't exactly float your boat. Obviously the price is crazy so I bet you could find a nice violet scent that costs less, but I do think this is really a work of art :)

surfergirlpuppy
surfergirlpuppy

I'm in Love with this beautiful scent! When I first spray it on my skin it smells exactly like sweet Parma violets and violet candy.Then it dries down to shy violets, black currant & night blooming jasmine. Thank goodness theres only a hint of the cedar, as too much would ruin it.
Love in Black is a masterpiece of a frangrance and I'm so glad I recieved a huge bottle as a gift. Due to the high price, there are fakes out there. Get it from Creed.

Whit
Whit

I had a sample of this and alas, I am so disappointed with it. On my skin, it's starts out beautiful enough, but it dries to an expensive soap smell. That's it. It smells like soap on my skin; nothing very complex or intriguing at all, which sucks because it's pricey. I will say the longevity was very good with it, but I can't justify spending the cash on this when all I get is a soapy aroma. Oh well...on to the next!

Monikakaka
Monikakaka

Love in Black is meant to be a mirror image of Love in White (2006), with the emphasis firmly on seduction rather than innocence.

Love in Black is a lush floral oriental with an intense dark and musky heart built around Violets, Iris, Blackcurrant and Rose.

Top notes: White violets, jasmine
Heart notes: Florentine Iris, cloves, musk
Base notes: Bourgogne Blackcurrant, Rose, violets

Another very unique Creed creation this time with powdery-floral scent. Any season, however for sophisticated ladies rather than younger girls, in my opinion. Silage is heavy & longevity is long lasting.

MJ_
MJ_

I'm not a big fan of Creed because in my country one bottle costs more than $300. However, I fell in love with Love in Black lately. I tried it and the lasting power was so gooooooood. It starts up with warm spicy florals and then dries down to sweet fruity florals. This one is a def buy for me.

p.s. it lasted more than 6 hours.

dufreznee
dufreznee

I received a sample of this and I would have loved it, except, alas, the musk. After those intoxicating top notes it overpowers everthing else and I can't abide it. Perhaps that's for the best as it saved me some significant $$. Still looking for a sophisticated violet.

trueblue19
trueblue19

Being a fan of the house, this is the only Creed I feel eligible to be put on my 'hate' list so far. It instantly reminds me of Insolence edp (another scent I really dislike). Poor Love in Black...at least Insolence has got a pretty bottle, and is more wearable. Loads of decades old violet, iris and wood preserved in cough syrup. Rough, incredibly short of depth, flat as a pie. If anything comes close, I can only imagine Serge Lutens at its worst!

ladykarl
ladykarl

Creed seems to get a bad wrap here.
Maybe because the price??

this is expense aside viewpoint

I was thinking it would be pretty linear and simple
and it somewhat is

But i also happen to love all of the notes

A really nice berry violet musk with hints of rose

a little sweet and little floral a little woodsy

I think there must be some special 'creed water' accord
or something that brings this to a slightly different level than other violet roses

maybe its the black current or the woods that bring this together for me

very pretty.

TakaBeata

Mimi I am glad that you chose this scent. Is splendid and soft. Will be well to you accompany :)

mimikins24
mimikins24

I bought this based on recommendations of fellow Fragrantica members, as I was asking for violet and iris heavy scents.

Yowza!!! I could smell this as soon as I opened the package. Upon initial application though, I was terrified, as it was a huge play-dough mess on my skin. I agree with some of the other posters who said the initial scent fades and there is more a "feeling" of the violet than actually smelling it at this point. It is like I can feel the violets tickling at the back of my throat --- very odd indeed.

I swallowed my panic, and figured I should at least leave it sit for the day and see what happens.

... And by about 1 hour in, the delicate, powdery, dry violet and iris notes pop out. I emit an internal squeal of delight. I do get a wee bit of cedar and a lovely blending of musk. I must admit on me the basenotes are non-existent (which is just fine with me).

The sillage on this is quite polite. I think you have to be in my personal space to really smell it well. On the other hand, it has great staying power. The sweater I threw on at work to keep warm still smells faintly of it two days later.

I love SL Bois de Violette as well, which is in the same vein, but with more cedar. For me, the perfect concoction is a 50/50 mix of this and the SL --- this very well may become my signature. I get the longer lasting and more powerful violet from the Creed, and a bit more cedar for the drydown from the SL.

Expensive, yes, but a little goes a long way. As with many delicate fragrances, I greatly prefer application with a splash/flacon as opposed to an atomizer, particularly because this changes so much with my body heat/chemistry (so I apply directly to pulse points to hurry up the transformation).

jtd
jtd

I’ve never read another review of Love in Black, so I’m sorry if I’m repeating what others have said. I saw a bottle of this in a shop and just had to try. The bottle is that matte black that people spend thousands of dollars on to paint their AMG Mercedes a sort of urban camo so that they won’t be seen wasting their 500+ horsepower in gridlock in LA traffic. This color on expensive cars is an example of the strained symbolism of contemporary demonstrations of wealth that reads like an overbred poodle. It’s so particular, so focused, so self-conscious. The desired message (“I’m hip/fashion forward/a trendsetter…”) gets lost in the actual communication (“I’m so effete that if you could see inside these blacked-out windows you’d see me fussing with my pocket square and cuff links.”)

But who cares about the bottle? It’s clearly an iris perfume, but there’s something off-kilter about the angles of iris that are emphasized. The papery and bread-like aspects of iris root are there, but they smell stale and sour. The fascinating bit isn’t the notes, though. It’s the progression. After 10 minutes of topnotes, I couldn’t smell a thing. It’s as if I could ‘feel’ with my nose that the perfume was still on my skin, but I literally couldn’t smell it. Did I go nose-tired that quickly, or is it the composition? I thought this was the briefest perfume in history, then oddly, another 30 minutes later, I sniffed again and found a lingering but noticeable sweet scent like inky bubblegum.

Stale bread wrapped in moist paper. Then silent running. Then bubble gum. Was this commissioned by Etat Libre? Not my thing, but pretty god damned clever.

TakaBeata

When I recognized Love In black ,I felt violets and were similar to Annick Goutal Violette. I put away the paper. The morrow ... dazzle, What the beautiful scent .So he changed .So straight off I gave on the skin .Is splendid , beautiful balm,freesia, violet, musk on end I feel fruit with the sugar. Wonderful...
Try give chance :)

kitten_steele
kitten_steele

Tried this today. Very tough perfume, I must say. The first 2 hours it smells like mouldy bread or sweaty, wet socks that has been hung up to dry. After those 2 hours of this none sexy scent, the blackberries comes alive and it smells good and sweet, but it is a sweetness that so many others smells like. Now, after around 4 hours or so, the common sweet scent is gone and now it smells like that candy with violet taste. Candy sweet. This scent isn't some that I have smelled on others. It's rather unique, despite its candy sweetness. I love that violet candy and the way it smells. But the question is, do I want to wait 4 hours for a perfume to smell this way? Do I want to endure 2 hours of sweaty, wet socks before it even starts to smell good? Then an hour of common scent? I really like this scent that I'm smelling right now, after 4 hours, the violet candy sweetness, but I think I'll pass. I ain't got time to wait 4 hours on a perfume to give its best on me.

mani123
mani123

wonderfull for evening ;)

xocoatl
xocoatl

1) Smelled the perfume from the bottle. Thought it smelled violets in a lovely candied way (yet not sweet)

2) Sprayed it on my skin. The opening was frightful! Not at all what I expected. To my nose, it smelled leathery, smoked, very "concentrated".

3) When the scent had settled a while later, it was a LOT better. Soft candy violets. Keep smelling my arm hours after :)

Would love to have it because of the violets, but I don't know if I dare buying it though, because of my negative reaction to the initial smell.

bluelilly
bluelilly

I ordered a sample of this and was looking forward to it. Does it remind anyone else of the old vials of "orange blossom water" that one could buy once passing the state line in Florida in the late 60s and early 70s. You know, the little huts with a lady who would pour paper cups of fresh o.j.?

I didn't see orange blossom water in the ingredients, or, at least, it didn't jump out at me. But it does remind me of the 60s and 70s and those little glass vials. Lavender Water, Orange Water, Rose Water, Violet Water.

On me, it didn't do so well. It sat on top of my skin like violet water and other than smelling "retro" and reminding me of my grandmother's butter yellow Cadillac it didn't strike me as sophisticated. Not on me, that is. It seemed like a cheap essence of something. And I love Jackie O. I wonder if she would like this? Or, since she was OF the 60s and early 70s, would she have thought it smelled like something from an orange juice hut off I-95?

Winger
Winger

It disappointed me. Very artificial on my skin - opening like candies, and after 10 minutes, it turns into cough syrup. It's violets, sweet and warm, though. I was surprised it comes from Creed - usually they don't make things so synthetic/artificial, lack of their amazing natural tone.

Giselle Viz
Giselle Viz

AMAZING!! This scent takes you through a journey of celestial notes. At first spray, the violets and jasmine make a dramatic entrance which are accompanied by the romantic and smokey cedar. Then, the spices come in to the picure which are caressed by the musk and cloves. The black currant and the rose finish of this masterpiece by softly combining all the notes together.

Sadly, after 30 minutes the sent was very faint on my skin. Not at all what I thought the final dry down would be. I'm terribly dissapointed. For me it's not worth the high price.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

I think that this is actually a cologne for sure. Its staying power is magnificent and it smells terriffic. Lasts for the ages. I might own this before 2012 is out.Well done...Brravo!

TheGorgon
TheGorgon

The violet is overpowering everything for the first 20 minutes, you can smell spices too which were actually that strong to tickle my nose! Then it cools down and turns into something wonderful and complex!
Really good perfume in complex, but I wouldn't pay that much money for it since the opening is a real olfactive bomb!

lenchik55
lenchik55

I tried LiB very briefly last night and all I could smell after the opening notes were gone is fine rich soft leather... Will update after another test, but this appears to have absolutely nothing in common with LiW (not that it really has to).

How many times we wondered why mosquitoes should exist? And, what about rats?...going on an higher scale, what about pain? Our conclusion is always that everything is necessary. Mosquitoes are part of the food chain, pain works as a necessary alarm and bad perfumes serve as a counterpart to good ones to establish the parameters to evaluate them.

Love in Black is a bad one. A really bad one. Violet and iris that rapidly turns into rosey/violet and nothing else.

As a wise old man used to say "you need to touch nettle to properly appreciate silk".

onlineallday
onlineallday

I can smell something Dove-like soap/creamy or something like a leather conditioning product. This may sound bad, but it is not a bad scent. I actually love it. It's very different. I can see guys wearing this as well.

Since its release, every time, passing by the Creed's shelves, I was testing this perfume, and for me Love in Black is not just the violets...This is a queens worthy fragrance! The first seconds - a tender, slightly sweetish roasted nuts aroma. For some reason I think of roasted pistachios. But, sadly, this is quite a short pleasure the opening - later on just a tiny shade of this delicious "nuttiness" wafts from time to time somewhere on the background... and then it is all about the finest leather gloves, scented with a luxury floral essence: an iris (of course!) and the violets... This perfume makes me thinking of the gantier-parfumeurs and Catherine de Medici, a Queen of France and an amazing woman, born in Florence. I'm sure, she would be fond of this perfume!

Another try with Creed and again I found it disappointing. Yes, the violet and iris come out strongly, but there are many scents like that out there that do not cost a fortune. Also I found this one very unpleasant and even stinky. So did my friend.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A smell which can be easily sterotyped; and so once you place it in society, it looses its uniqueness and mystique..

Powerful, perhaps disgusting to begin with. This is a designer stench. The longer and less intense it becomes, the better..

EDT would be better

Ouch, how much? No thanks

tjjbjaeg
tjjbjaeg

I wonder if I have tried the same perfume as the other reviewers. I was looking forward to trying this perfume very much, I even felt a little "ooh" of delight when I saw it in a shop for the first time ever today. I tried it without hesitation. Wouw. Not to be forgotten. I like violet, I love violet, but I do not like the smell of putrefying socks and rotting fruit. This had a powerful, overwhelming negative effect on me. I can not recognise any of the notes others have spoken of, just rotting leaves, fruit and something rubbery a bit like the inside of a brand new car, with something unpleasant lurking under the seat. I must have a skin chemistry issue!

Congeniality
Congeniality

Unreal, its just unreal fragrance. One of a few, which is worth its price. So warm, so sensual. Even my MAN wants it for HIM !!! LOL

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

I know it's wrong to compare Love In White and Love in Black, but Love In Black is the warmer fragrance by far, possibly as a result of the violet top note. This is a sweet, elegant scent with moderate sillage and longevity. It's definitely on my wishlist.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

An in-your-face iris, probably crafted using Ambroxan and god knows what else, blasts from the atomizer of Love in Black. The doughy accord holds for the better part of an hour before transitioning into a sweet violet, rose, and cedar heart. This evolution is a pleasant surprise, and it holds for another hour before a brief and sugary interlude of cotton candy-esque proportions. This saccharine moment is hard to account for. Perhaps it is meant to brighten and enliven the composition? In less than fifteen minutes, the sweetness fades back into a lighter floral musk.

Love in Black is a very enjoyable perfume. It is strong, and it is brash, but in a good way. I guess it's a shame that it isn't more highly regarded. This is the sort of thing I really want to smell on young women these days. Then again, I wouldn't mind wearing it myself. If you have a penchant for violets, LiB is a no brainer.

malwiniusia
malwiniusia

when i smelled it for the first time, the really first time, i was unaware, that this odor would somehow chase me until i buy it ! and i still havent, because of the price of course !
but honestly !! i believe that this is the key to my happiness !!! the violet just enfolds me, like a warm dressing gown on a winter's evening !
it lasts very long on my skin, what is great because most of the violet fragrances just fade away very quickly !

it's something different about this perfume ! it seems to have a secret, a mysterious secret, that only the chosen ones can find out !!!

i love it and recommend it to everyone who loves violets !

sofiii
sofiii

Love in Black is wearable, in comparison with the toilet-horror Love in Wite. However, what I can smell is so different from the notes listed here.

It starts with a lot of rice cake kinda comfy and sensual notes plus a lot of spicy woody rose.

Then it gets more floral and sweet in a nice and clean way, which reminds me a lot of Femme by Bvgari, plus some 80s big powdery floral effect.

The dry down is actually quite nice and less 'edge-y'. Again, it reminds me quite a lot of Bvgari Femme, but in a less welcoming way.

Love in Black should be nice, logically. However, emotionally, I just find this one strange in a weird sense. Not my cup of tea.

amwoir
amwoir

i enjoy this perfume, the violet smell to me definately stands out and is very long lasting to wear.to be honest though i probably wouldnt buy it myself as quite expensive but was lucky enough to have it bought as a gift from a bloke that also seems to like wearing it!!!hmmm :)

I love the opening of LOVE IN BLACK every bit as much as I love the drydown of LOVE IN WHITE! Hmmm... there may be a Creed-induced insolvency in my future...

The cedar-violet combo is rich and beautiful--so much so that I literally could not refrain from draining my entire large (carded) sample vial over the course of the past twenty-four hours. Now the last drop has evaporated to merge with the cosmos in infinite and eternal anonymity, and LOVE IN BLACK is on my wish list. Yum! Splendid! Delightful!

My only regret is that the intense wonderfulness of the opening does actually fade quite a bit after several minutes, and the drydown is a somewhat milder version of the same.

Dark Curls

WOW i received my decant today and I love it! It is a very unusual scent to my nose...my 1st words were ooo I smell wood! I can definitely smell the cedar and musk & I am over the moon for it. :-) Nothing in my vast collection smells like this.

Dark Curls

this looks like it smells good! I love the love in white. FYI, the perfumed court offered decants for both..they even have a duo set. i am going to order one

hollycat
hollycat

If you enjoy the violet note in this fragrance then I would suggest Insolence from Guerlain. Love in Black is a similar scent to me yet it has poor longevity and silliage. For the price of this stuff I am very unimpressed.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

I like this! Violet and this is not a "wet" one. Its more a "dry" perfume. Must say a VERY dry one. Original and Beautiful!

8,5/10

Brumen
Brumen

Remember the sweet licorice violet that you buy at fairs? Here .... Love in Black are these candies, it makes me remember the happy children running back and forth to the banquet with balloons tied to the hand while parents try to keep up. is a fragrance for women but not ok I'm sorry to hear it and wear it at all .... I believe that the odors do not have sex and I do not care what people may think feeling wipe with a scent of violets. My grandmother adored Parma Violet .... a tribute to her (the child I was happy)

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

If you like violet, then this is a must have! I have a lot of fragrances that contain violet but this one stays that long and is that intense!It contains musk and cedar , what makes it even more pleasent to wear. But it's all about the violet. This is one for all ages, it's to complex to say that "Love in Black" would only be for a certain age. Creed really succeeded to create something very special and it really the opposite of Love in White. I even mixed them a few times (parcimoni). Waaauw, that was great!

holly13
holly13

I would like to try this. I am looking for a signature perfume.

Does it smell good? The eternal question. Imagine you are on an airplane. I always pray I sit next to someone that does not smell bad!

I read a tip for flying on an airplane or bus or car: If something or someone smells bad put some tea tree oil in your nose.

guest_hagendaz
guest_hagendaz

A carnal violet iris. From sweet flowers in the opening, it changes to a doughy disturbing iris-cedar heart, and then back to a flourishing rose and blackcurrant base. The iris and rose notes are fantastic@! Inviting and strange, a Creed success. One of the best modern violet+iris fragrances on the market. A great couterpart to the youthful zesty white flower extravaganza of Love in White.

I was so disappointed by Love in White (nostril-piercing dish soap) that Love in Black almost scared me to try it.
When I did I found a pleasant wet-violet note in the start that so much reminds me of Violetta di Parma, only more earthen and not cloying-candy like in L'Insolence (that makes me gag).
Love in black is nice-smelling and very interesting in the beginning, quite promising, then it fades to a nothing special but pleasant mix quality of bitterness that's not totally out of place. It is dark and a little gloomy. I would say it's a feminine scent, only not too romantic or frilly. It's a scent a warrior-like lady would wear. Not my cup of tea. Maybe also a man who likes some feminine notes in his fragrance or someone wearing medieval capes with hook. Give it a try if you fit the type.
As all Creed scents it's quite cold in the smelling, in spite of musk and cloves. All Creed fragrances give me a feeling of coldness. And they are overly expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong, they are surely refined, high-quality and well-made, but they lack that oomph that could justify crazy price tags.
The bottle is elegant black but not brilliant black like NR. a little bit gloomy for my tastes.

First on, this is a gorgeous flowers-in-rain feeling, like wet violets and iris, green and slightly metallic. Unfortunately, on my skin the fabled 'smoked tea' note comes up as a plasticy fake smoke scent and ruins everything. Then the lovely violets fade away entirely, leaving only the plastic smoke. It's terribly synthetic for something from Creed,whose other scents I've come to respect (and some to love). With an onset as lovely as this had, that makes the ending heartbreakingly tragic.

guest_aku
guest_aku

i luv tis perfume.it suit me. because i like rare smell.tis perfume is for powerfull woman :)

Stefan
Stefan

Don't buy this one if yo haven't at least tried it!!! I was utterly repulsed by this. It's extremely bitter. Who would wear this except someone who has a major body oder issue. Not romantic at all. I wouldn't take this one for my girl if someone gave it to me.

ausacbrown
ausacbrown

Anybody looking for this, I ordered it tonight from "abeautifulife.com." I entered discount code "2008" (always check retailmenot for online coupons!) and got 10% plus free shipping. This perfume's really hard to find right now.

BethAshley
BethAshley

The name and bottle of this perfume look fairly dark and seductive but its really just a typical floral. I found it to be very disappointing especially since it was inspired by fashion icon Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis (which was also confusing since I don't see how she would inspire such a dark looking perfume).

If you're looking for a day to day floral give it a try and see what you think. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't remarkable either.

PR

Yes, KJanicki,your comparison to music's high and low tones, perhaps suits better to describe this scent..I was trying to find right words, but couldn't. Perhaps it may sound as exaggeration, but I almost got a feeling of cold sweat comming onto my forehead from those 'highs' and 'lows'.
And I can't really recollect a lot from this smell, but 'fried pistachios' would be the right word to describe this smell, because it's so unusual,there is something what not suppose to be in perfumes, and what even sort of doesn't have smell..something like fried pistacios, even if it is not, good suggestion, Vickalena, I may call a part of unidentifiable smells here -'pistachios'

To PR

I agree, it is bipolar. I get the feeling in my head like music, with a high note (sweet pale purple violet) and a low bass note (dark earthy cedar) at the same time. I put it on again today and I am loving it. Maybe it needed cooler weather.

PR

Just cant get my head around this one. Very warm scent, something strange hapenning here, though warm , it is sort of bipolar to my nose. It rolls and rolls, and by the way rolls somewhere between kitchen table, then some pots with strange flowers like ficus that stand in the corner and doesn't smell, than turns around and rolls again. Some spiciness there, but don't know what it is, slightly unpleasant scent to me. The one is sure I was surprised by some weirdness

KJanicki

Got a sample and have been wearing it. I still get mostly strong cedar but everyone who smells me says it's sweet violet. It's growing on me. I think of it as a walk in the woods in the rain. Sit on a tree stump and smell the damp wood and the wild violets growing around your feet. I think it would be a good spring fragrance.

KJanicki

Tried it on the weekend and was disappointed. All I could smell was violet and strong cedar. Like a sweet closet. I am going to try it again though.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

Unlike the sickening creation that was Love in White, this one is actually enjoyable. There is no relation between the two that you can tell. Love in Black first starts out with a strong, almost masculine violet note and settles slowly into a mix of iris, musk and cedar. I would only wear this in wintertime. It is very nice and mysterious.

Love in Black by Creed 3.34 out of 5 based on 343 ratings and 77 user reviews

CREED LOVE IN BLACK for WOMEN by Creed EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ - Half-Full
Eau De Parfum 1oz
Love In Black Perfume by Creed, 1 oz Millesime Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Love In Black Perfume by Creed, 1 oz Millesime Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Love In Black Perfume by Creed, 2.5 oz Millesime Eau De Parfum Spray Tester for Women
CREED LOVE IN BLACK for WOMEN by Creed EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ TESTER
CREED LOVE IN BLACK for WOMEN by Creed EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ TESTER
Love In Black Perfume by Creed, 2.5 oz Millesime Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
Love In Black Perfume by Creed, 2.5 oz Millesime Eau De Parfum Spray for Women
CREED LOVE IN BLACK for WOMEN by Creed EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ
CREED LOVE IN BLACK for WOMEN by Creed EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY 2.5 OZ

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Creed Love in Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Creed Love in Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Love in Black by Creed. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Love in Black by Creed represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.