Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Original Santal Creed for women and men
dislike

cinnamon
Original Santal Creed for women and men Pictures

Original Santal is a men's oriental fragrance inspired by the royal and spiritual splendor of India. The essence of precious sandalwood trees from India are combined with other elements known for beautiful scent, spiritual strength and calming power.

Top notes include Indian sandalwood, cinnamon, coriander and fragrant juniper berry. The middle notes consist of lavender, leaves of the absolute orange tree, rosemary and ginger. The base is composed of tonka bean and vanilla. Original Santal was launched in 2005. Original Santal was created by Olivier Creed Sixth Generation and Erwin Creed Seventh Generation.

Coriander Juniper Berries Cinnamon Sandalwood

Rosemary Ginger Lavender Petitgrain

Tonka Bean Vanilla

Individuel
Joop! Homme

Original Santal Fragrance Reviews

Fehdandoo Del Enzioo
Fehdandoo Del Enzioo

This fragrance is amazing .. it seems like everytime i where it i have a good time .. absolutely perfect ..

picknenders
picknenders

I'm a Creed fan. This is Joop. I can't really elaborate. I wore Joop in high school, and I'm embarrassed.

pianoprince252
pianoprince252

This is the sexiest perfume I've ever had, very spicy when spray but dry down after 10 minutes is great. Overall is weak but when you sweat or it's raining, It smell wonderful. When my friend smell this, he told that it's make love time :))
I can't forget the sweetness of this fragrance, soooooo awesome :D

gd15329
gd15329

Say whatever you want.
Joop! Homme & LR LR Classics Singapore are better than this.-

ShaverX
ShaverX

mmmmmmm. $350 JOOP. What a terrific value.

usas
usas

I have a sample sprayer.
At first, Creed's Original Santal smells promising. Sweet, bu promising. After a while it's just sweet and powdery. Maybe if I saw a bottle for a bargain I would buy it, but not for its retail price.

Michael1962

Very smooth and well rounded.Can really detect the lavender in the top notes and delightful cinnamon.Not really a projection beast but more top shelf perfumery from Creed.

jerseyjoe1981
jerseyjoe1981

This and Aventus are the way to go if you want two different Creeds that will LAST and project AND smell great!

illatos
illatos

Not bad at all. It has a little feminime vibe but it's wearable. I recommed it for a try.

dkny27
dkny27

Thanks to a sample from a fellow Fragrantican, I am sampling this, although I never would have thought to.
The sillage off of just two dabs on my wrist is incredible... I get hints of SL Amber Sultan and the tiniest reminiscence of SL Gris Clair, i.e.- amber and soft smoke...
Warm and crisp at the same time, but ending with smooth. Completely alluring.
Nothing mainstream about this, imo... Deliciously deep!

El Aurens
El Aurens

Best performance for a Creed that I have tried. Gives me a summer-sunset in the desert feel. Or moreover a desert highway. Way more versatile than it's given credit for. Amazing in warm dry air. Not in humidity. Nice evolution as well.

Rating 8.75/10

penguin1010
penguin1010

This is one of my favorite fragrances of all time. It is just so sweet and warm and sexy all at the same time! This was my first Creed purchase and I have never regretted it. I have worn it in every season and all times of day, although I tend to save it for evenings out. Just a spritz of this would be a confidence-booster for any lady! On me it lasts about 6 hours...the vanilla and sandalwood combo is unbeatable. Plus the cinnamon note spices it up and adds a unique twist. I have also found that layering this with Virgin Island Water brings out the sweeter side of Santal. I have never smelled this on a man but I can't imagine it would be bad!

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

My wife and I both love this fragrance; it is one of our favorites...just a wonderfully warm/sexy cinnamon, vanilla and sandalwood scent with a few other perfectly-blended notes tossed in to round-out this classic!

Of course, our flacon will last us years since it's not an every day fragrance. Moreover, we discovered Mont Blanc Individuel shortly after making our purchase. Are both identical? No, but they are really, really, really close and we like Individuel just as much with the only difference being that Santal is extra long lasting and I get heavy sillage, whereas Individuel is merely average on both fronts. We have both Santal and Individuel and will probably repurchase the Mont Blanc fragrances since it's roughly one-third the price. Still...love this juice!

-Cool Water is no substitute for Green Irish Tweed
-Love & Luck does not compare to Millesime Imperial
-Insurrection Pure II is nice but cannot replace Aventus (if it's even available)
-However, most people won't know you're using Individuel instead of Original Santal

elvisstu@hotmail.com
elvisstu@hotmail.com

This is lovely. But at the price i would not buy it again. I have had numerous fragrances at numerous price point’s & I bought this expecting something sensational & although this is a wonderful fragrance this is far to expensive & not exceptional enough

guillermostf
guillermostf

i tried it on paper. Well, so expensive for something that's no good for my taste. For me is powder, an old one, like a clean grandfather, but no more than this.

Laurdess
Laurdess

I just dont get this one... I compare it to a really smokin hot guy who just cant kiss, no matter how many times you try, there is just nothing sexy about it.

Ovaltine Jenkins
Ovaltine Jenkins

This is pleasant enough, but too similar to other less expensive scents out there (Mont Blanc Individuel and Joop! Summer Ticket come immediately to my mind). Longevity is good but sillage is pretty weak in my opinion.

Riobard
Riobard

Mont Blanc was the first and will be the last. Creed don't copy no more.

kambelz
kambelz

Too feminine for me. I actually prefer it's cheaper alternative Mont Blanc Individuel. That smells a lot more masculine and doesn't turn into a feminine cinnamon mess after 5 minutes.

curtmaster
curtmaster

Perfect going out for a night out on the town scent. A nice cinnamon, Ginger and Sandalwood based scent ..

Ritarudna
Ritarudna

A nice, typical, spicy, powdery, cinnamon.

drakecito
drakecito

Sorry but Creed definitely will not be my favorite signature.
Smells like a lollipop and talcum powder in the dry-down.
The wood is tooooo light and without personality.
Another overpriced product from Creed.
Longevity and projection are moderate (not more than 5-6 hours).

scent: 3/10
longevity: 5/10
sillage: 4/10

Ryan1159
Ryan1159

This fragrance. This is my first Creed fragrance, and I have to tell you, I'm impressed. I was the type of person who thought Creed didn't deserve all the hype it gets. I was wrong. This deserves every little bit of hype.

The opening was very fresh and natural. It is totally different from the designer fragrances. When I first sprayed it, I wasn't expecting much. But after I got my first smell, I knew that this was quality.

The opening is not where this fragrance shines the most. The drydown is great. Projection is amazing. What I was most impressed with was longevity. This fragrance could be smelled on me, projected off of my skin, for 8 hours. After that, it stayed close to my skin up to 12 hours. Longevity of this fragrance is amazing.

Three sprays of this fragrance is enough for the entire day. Purchase a sample if you want, but I blind bought it, and I am thouroughly impressed.

Projection: Strong
Longevity: 8-12 hours
Smell: 9/10
Overall: 9.5/10

EDIT: Mont Blanc Individuel's OPENING is the only part of that fragrance that smells like Original Santal. They are two separate fragrances, and MBI has its own strenghts and weaknesses. I recently did an in depth review on Month Blanc Individuel vs Original Santal on Individuel's page.

GrizModo82
GrizModo82

I love this refreshing scent...the ladies at work love it too. Lasted about 8 hours on my skin. Really good projection the first few hours. I've only had the chance to try this in cooler weather as this was a recent purchase (late September '13). Definitely in my Top 5 juices. Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

spartan
spartan

Masterpiece... Lets get something straight, yes Joop and Mont Blanc smell similar to
Original Santal- Key word Similar and thats where it ends. Creed is Top Shelf Juice, the other two are very synthetic.
However if you are on A BUDGET and want that Creed smell then the Joop and Mont Blanc have their uses.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

No denying that OS is a great fragrance for men. It's one of the best colognes coming out of the Creed house. It smells very natural and the cinnamon accord is the finest.

My only disappointment is that I smell very little of what its name suggests: sandalwood.

To my nose the sandalwood is light. If "Santal" is in the name of the fragrance, by all means Creed then let sandalwood be a little stronger and shine at the center stage. In OS it is the blend of spicy scents what stands out more and propels this fragrance.

So in that regard OS disappoints me as I was looking for a stronger sandalwood presence. Even the much cheaper sandalwood cologne from "The Art of Shaving" gives you much more sandalwood.

Great fragrance due to its magnificent use of spices (not so much because of the sandalwood). If the name had been one not containing the word Santal, then perhaps I would have not been that sensitive to the issue.

dayzaway99
dayzaway99

This was my first Creed Juice. and I was expecting the best of the best from it for what i paid. Thankfully i was not let down. The opening is very strong fiery hot cinnamon, it is quickly met with a sweet subtle vanilla that breaks way into a whirlwind of complexity that is engrossing to the senses. Corriander, tonka bean, ginger combined with the juniper berries create an almost sweet and peppery scent that when warmed up on the skin can also be refreshing. A great scent for the winter to warm a cold room up with your presence or repel a cold winter breeze with its essence.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

FRUITY FLOWER OR FLOWERY FRUIT

Creed is, of course, a top notch fragrance house - and I do appreciate/love much of what they do...BUT, this I just can't wear.

It actually borders on sickly sweet. And cloying. The berry/flower notes are so strong - not well balanced at all to my nose.

And I have trouble with this being a fragrance made for men.
A man can wear it, of course, but at the very least, it smells unisex.

Obviously, I pass.

rprovenz

a lethal night out scent. Calling this a Joop knock off is like saying cool water is in the same league as Green Irish Tweed.

DMA
DMA

At first glance i was expecting this concocotion to be very brash and vulgar, oh how wrong i was. Stunning, classy, sophisticated, what more can i say...

This is a very modern fragrance that oozes sex appeal. If you want to be noticed for all the right reasons this is the one, just make sure you stick with moderate/cooler to cold weather and you cant go wrong.

I dont like sweet fragrances but the way the sharpness/acidity off the top cuts through the sweet and spicyness is very cleverly done and perfectly executed.

I thought i loved Aventus, but this is right up there in my top spot with it fighting for attention, who wins as my choice at the time depends mainly on the weather and occasion, and thats the only reason why Aventus gets more airtime with me...

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

It is unbelievable how similar this smells to Mont Blanc Individuel. When I sprayed the two on test strips and on my skin, I was like "Holy crap these smell incredibly identical". From reading reviews on both MBI and COS, I thought they can't be that similar. Guess what? They are. I would prefer MBI over this because of the large price difference. This and MBI are masterpieces, in my opinion.

bigjakeriz
bigjakeriz

This fragrance is fantastic. Very smooth and sexy. And I used to adore it. Then I discovered Mont blanc individuel and the similarities are insanely close. This is still a great fragrance. Bottle is gorgeous. Longevity is were this loses me. Compared to Mont blanc this has a fresher feel to it while Mont blanc is sweet right off. But they smell the same! For the price ill stick to individuel. And Mont blanc lasts longer on my skin. Just my oppinion, had both at one point and had to cut one.

rowan.walters
rowan.walters

Original Santal was the first Creed fragrance I ever owned and for almost four years I kept a bottle in my desk drawer at work for whenever I needed a quick "bain Louis XIV" or to freshen up for important meetings. Original Santal always elicited shy queries from colleagues and even senior executives. I also found it to be equally well-suited for recreational activities and was a faithful companion on many a night out.
I am a devotee of sandalwood - possibly since one of my favourite childhood toys was an elephant carved from Mysore Sandalwood - and the scent of this wonderful aromatic wood has always given me a strong sense of comfort and serenity. Although Original Santal is more than just sandalwood, I consider it to be a fitting tribute to that most sacred wood, comprising a symphony of notes which enhance and honour it.
If, like me, you are a lover of fine sandalwood, Original Santal cannot fail to please - it is a fragrance that works well for men and women, in almost any context, formal or casual.
Light application produces an aura of class and mystery, and you will observe people discreetly drawing close to savour the aroma, if not asking outright what it is.
As many others have remarked, the longevity of Creed fragrances could be better, sillage however is ideal, and it is definitely a "crowd pleaser" - i have yet to find anyone who finds this fragrance unpleasant and I doubt that any such person exists.
Original Santal is a favourite of mine, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Oslo-fjord

Original Santal has grown to be one of my favorits fron Creed. It's very delicious, classy, and sexy. The trick is to go easy on the trigger.

Managed to get hold of a sample today and I must say it's absolutely stunning.
I had tried it before a while back and then decided to get Mont Blanc Individuel as a stop gap really, a more financially viable option too.
They are very, very similar indeed but quite different when initially sprayed the Creed smells a little harsher and sweeter which takes it to a different realm.
When you get into to heart of the fragrance the similarities become very apparent.
Then finally comparing side by side I would have to say that there's just something I prefer about the Creed as drys down its just magical juice that keeps on giving sweetness and spice...beautiful.
If I'm honest though it still doesn't inspire me to purchase, it's simply not over £100 better than the Individuel which is fantastic and after all was released first.
Not that Creed have copied it or anything, i think its more subtle and refined than the Mont Blanc, you can definitely tell it's a really well finessed scent that has better projection and longevity.
The point is....this scent is a masterpiece and I totally totally love it!!!!

Update: Just looking back on my review and it's spot on as per usual! hahah only kidding! I still feel the same way about Creed Santal though I know now that the Longevity & projection are negligible.
I've had MBI and I love that scent. I was aware that it predated OS but only recently discovered that Piere Boudon and Oliver Creed are friends which completely explains the whole GIT and Davidoff CW thing! Although in that case the Creed fragrance is a clear winner.
It's tit for tat...they've poached ideas of each others ideas and probably have a right old laugh about it.

jude1321
jude1321

I am actually at a loss for words on this juice. it is so utterly unbelievably amazing that there is nothing I can say about it. well, there is a lot I can say actually. it might be the best smelling male perfume that I have ever come across. there is a hint of JOOP in there, but Original Santal is way better and of much much much higher quality. OS is not nearly as in your face. This might just be the sexiest perfume that I have ever come across in my life. wow. wow. wow. perhaps the perfect juice. buy now, forget about price. buy now.

The New Monaco
The New Monaco

So this is a mens fragrance? Cloying an flowery and powdery and oh-so-sweet as ...like ... a man?
Just my luck it's totally overpriced so I'm not in danger to accidentally buy it...

Jim_Jones
Jim_Jones

EDIT: I am revising my whole opinion (and subsequent review) of OS. The Bottle I had must have been a bad batch (it was definately real, however). I more recently purchased a new bottle and it's Fantastic. The silage (Projection) is (still) not BAM! or anything close, but is way better then in my initial review (and bottle), as is the scent, which is a fantastic spicy sandlewood cookie (haha). No , but the sandlewood, one of my faves, is awesome in this. The whole composistion is great, really. It's amazing how creed's can vary so much between batch to batch. This is definately my favorite of the 5 or 6 creeds I have sampled.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A creamy, smooth sandlewood-cinammon frag which has good longevity...

I applied 6 heavy sprays

0- 1.5 hours . 2 foot projection. Cinammon and Sandlewood are very dominant. This is 85% the same as Mont Blanc Individuel, but a little softer on the skin. Also some similarity to Joop Homme. Smooth, mid mature, 40 - 57

1.5 hours - 4 hours - 7 inch projection. Mostly linear and quite creamy sandlewood on the skin

4 hours 8 hours - 2 inch projection

8 -10 hours. Close to skin

I have Mont Blanc Individuel at a fraction of the cost, alas I don't think that this Creed is worthy of the price tag, but a decent frag nonetheless

rprovenz

Great club scent for fall and winter..

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: ^

Opening: Spice! Cinnamon and coriander to the exclusion of anything else. My eyes are watering.

Middle: Coriander recedes and is replaced by slight sandalwood. Ginger, too. Cinnamon remains strong.

Dry Down: Cinnamon still dominant, now joined by a more pleasant vanilla. The ginger remains.

Goodness, what a powerful fragrance! My nostrils were singed within seconds of applying Original Santal, and even a full day later, the body scent clung to me as if freshly applied. I have simply never encountered a fragrance with this kind of longevity. Perhaps it is a quirk of my body chemistry, but I felt at times as if I had received an Original Santal *implant* rather than a mere topical application of the stuff!

Unfortunately, it was not a fragrance I wanted to last for 24+ hours. There is no subtlety here, and frankly very little sandalwood. It is the quintessential "spice bomb," and a nuclear one at that. The first 6-8 hours were suffocating. Thankfully, I sampled it at home over a weekend, so I didn't damage my reputation at work. The dry down, which occurs after about 8 hours, was pleasant but certainly not enough to justify the scorched earth opening.

It is a masculine scent, though I struggle to imagine what sort of man would want to wear this every day. Some young bucks in rut may want to dab some on before hitting "the clubs," but woe to the doe who follows this scent trail!

Sillage: 5/5

jhitt793
jhitt793

Initially I get a very pungent medicinal vibe to the opening which gave me an immediate headache. Overabundance of cinnamon and sandalwood. Lavender note strikes me as completely out of place. One of my least favorite offerings from Creed. (6)

Michael1962

I really like this Creed as I'm initially blown away with the cinnamon and spicy notes,however longevity and projection is an issue and fades away on my skin to nothing after about an hour,which is a damn shame.Original Vetiver is my first Creed and I recommend it wholeheartedly.now that is a projection monster on me

Go4broke
Go4broke

I'm about to buy another creed in a couple of weeks as im running out of aventus. More aventus or this? I can see the similarity to joop but this is less sweet and the drydown is much warmer, spicier, softer than joop. When I tried this the projection was monster and longevity was almost 20 hours! I adore aventus but im torn.

kazewayz
kazewayz

Where my cinnamon at? This fragrance is delicious, almost on the verge of being a gourmand. This is perfect for any weather. It's so refreshing and floral. It's earthy and there are bits of spice in there. To me there is a minimal slight resemblence to JOOP (nothing wrong with that.) Master Piece in my book. The transformation of this on the skin is sublime.

bcoops
bcoops

coming back to OS after trying it about a year ago....this fragrance has me stumped....when I first tried it, they sprayed me up with 3 sprays on my arm and I dont need to tell you how strong that was..it turned me off....when i smell it now, i dont know but Im am just so intrigued by the smell...i think i beginning to like it alot....

pop270
pop270

I agree that it smells like Joop, but only in the beginning. It becomes very grown-n-sexy thereafter. One of my all-time favorites.

jawsh3539
jawsh3539

Yes Joop and OS smell similar, but OS is a much better scent. It has a much less harsh smell and dry down is much nicer. However on me this scent does not last long and projection is weak. That makes me sad because I love this scent.

jestech
jestech

This fragrance is a bit to feminine for me. I don't hate it, but it's not my favorite Creed. It does have great projection and longevity. When I first smelled this, I couldn't believe it was considered unisex.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Smelled on a paper strip: Too perfumey, too old lady, too feminine and, yes, too reminiscent of Joop! (the stuff of nightmares). My least favorite Creed thus far.

tbook15
tbook15

My personal fav from the creed house and one of the most under rated frags in the creed house. This lasts 7-10 hours, has solid projection, garners lots of compliments, and is much more versatile than people give it credit for. I wasn't crazy about this one at first but i have grown to adore this one. Some might consider this a more feminine scent but i dont think so. Great frag for parties or even just a night out. Test this one out.

weevil
weevil

After a soft, but more complex start, Santal settles down very quickly into a fairly close-sitting un-complicated scent. On me, after 5 minutes it had lost most of the complexity. I was interested to see cinnamon listed as the most prominent note, so I was hoping for a more woody, 'real' cinnamon scent, but it's more of a cinnamon syrup. The connection with Joop is a sound one and unmistakeable; it certainly has that same sweeteness, albeit less synthetic. It's almost a quieter, more reserved Joop! If George Clooney wore Joop before he had a grey hair on his head, this is what he would be wearing now that he doesn't need to try!

williamvargas
williamvargas

to me this is a very classy warm balmy scent, it always registers compliments for me..i have owned this a long time and every time i wear it i get positive feedback,i don't bathe in it. but four spritzs.. one to each wrist, one on my chest and one on the back of my neck... i have smelled joop homme ,owned it at one time i get the similarities but i really think creed is much superior in the quality of a fragrance, while santal smells very natural to me , joop sells like more of a manufactured smell..if that makes sense..just did not measure up to me, joop it is not a bad fragrance by any means, just comparing , it smells somthing like it but not really if you have them both and spend time with them you will smell the diff.. mont blanc's individule is much closer and does smell very close almost identical to me..so if you like santal but the price point is too high then try individuel.. but to me as rating a scent thumbs up on this.. the nose is the final arbitrator in all evaluations, and it is strictly a person choice...but i love this one, and when the women you come in contact with comment ,that is a good thing.. well done, better performer in colder or cooler weather for me, and remember there is no one perfect scent but this does more right than wrong in my book.

jtd
jtd

Creed engender devotees as often as they do conspiracy theorists. People either seem to fall for the story or they mistrust it. Other than Irisia, which I am partial to, I haven't found a Creed that I enjoy. Though Creed's marketing schtick is particularly ludicrous and pretentious, is it really any worse than, say, Chanel or Taylor Swift? If you accept that all marketing is lies told for the sole purpose of luring you in, then style and story really make no difference.

But Creed's marketing and mythology are such an easy read that it becomes fun. When the life of leisure and affluence is sold to you over and over with each perfume, you come to realize that they're not even trying to sell you the image of a particular lifestyle, but the very notion of aspiration. As for Original Santal itself, a century late in the game Creed want to sell you not just a perfume but an empire.

Reading between the lines of the name tells you a bit about this this perfume up front. The name and the date of release tell you the same thing twice--there won't be much real mysore sandalwood to it. "Santal": commercial sandalwood harvesting has been banned in India since the late 1990s and the dwindling supply available is too expensive for largescale commercial perfume use. As for "Original" I defer to the logic of Creed's Original Vetiver, which, not being a vetiver perfume, implies that Original Santal will not be a sandalwood fragrance.

There are a few possibilities for Creed making a sandalwood fragrance today. 1) The Creeds have hoarded pre-ban sandalwood in the wine cellars of their ancestral castle. 2) They rely on synthetic sandalwood chemicals. 3) They recreate a sandalwood scent using other elements such as cedar, woody ambers, rosewood, lactones, etc.. 4) They make a fragrance that has no particular relationship to the scent of sandalwood. 5) When thay say Mysore, they mean Australia sandalwood. My money is on # 4, but 2, 3 and 5 have a ring of truth to them.

Sandalwood oil has a number of olfactory qualities, all of which can be sensed in harmony but are clear enough to be singled out. Woodiness, sweetness, creaminess, tartness. Richness, really. OS takes the slightly wrong angle of each quality and mixes them into a murky, lingering perfume. It smells a bit like rum sick to me, but to read the reviews at rating sites like Basenotes and Fragrantica, a lot of people enjoy it.

I know I spend more time writing about Creed's talk than their perfume. And while I do believe that all marketing is equal, the differences being stylistic, Creed want to sell you a particular fiction phrased as history before they even start to sell you a perfume. Their implication of authenticity in a bottle should be questioned as closely as their perfume.

areidmeade
areidmeade

ON PAPER after a few minutes i smelled a VERY subdued JOOP! but once you spray it on your skin its a whole different monster. Everything else has already been said about this frag.

As with most creeds, 5/5 from me

aucffan1
aucffan1

Edit to the post below me:
As Al from "Street Scents" says, "I respect that".. :-).. But I would never minimize a Creed fragrance that way.. Creed is quality and it shows or rather smells like quality...

Original post:
This is not Joop.. This is not Big Red Gum.. Those that think so may have received a fake..

This is a warm unique scent that has average staying power and siliage but gets compliments and has tons of class..

dreyth
dreyth

Edit: to the post above me. I sampled it at the creed boutique in Manhattan. It was definitely not a fake. The first time I tried it, I DID get big red gum. A few months later at saks fifth ave, I got joop homme. Saks Fifth Ave doesn't sell fakes either.

That being said, I want everyone to know that just because you got joop homme or big red gum like I did, it doesn't mean you had a fake at all.

The first time I smelled this I loved it. I got a lot of spicy and cinnamon stuff, but didn't like it after the opening. However, I was wearing a frag that day and also tested two other things as well.

Two months later I test it again to give it a fairer chance. On a card, I got that spicy part that I loved. But on my skin... sorry, but this was almost identical to Joop! Homme to me. I hate to say it, but there is absolutely no way I would buy this instead of Joop when 90% of the people who smell it on me will think it's Joop.

Add to that fact the huge difference in price between the two, and the fact that Joop has superior longevity and some of the greatest sillage of all time, there's no contest.

Perhaps there are batch inconsistencies with this as well though. I guess you'll just have to try it out for yourself, as the commenters on this keep debating whether or not it smells like Joop. Just try it for yourself.

Jridgen
Jridgen

Let me preface this by saying I enjoy most Creed fragrances and in general love many sweet/gourmand fragrances. That being said I really don't understand the hype on this one. It is borderline nauseating and to my nose smells like Big Red gum. If this were $10 I might buy it just so I could have that sweet looking bottle in my collection. $20 would asking too much.

grampz
grampz

So when I first researched the notes of this bad boy, I initially thought I wouldnt like it. After having a small sample of this juice I was intrigued to get a bottle and Im glad I did so. This scent is warm, cozy, smooth, spicy, lavender and cinnamon with a beautiful vanilla base. The weather is becoming much cooler and I see myself wearing this one quite alot! It seems to compliment my skin well, its very pleasant but at the sametime very heavy, over application can start knocking people out around you. It is excellent for longevity, sillage and all the other factors. Sometimes its not always what intrigues us on paper (or in reviews) but rather what compliments us best, I found Original Santal to be one of those fragrances that just works well for me. A Creed that does not get the same exposure as others, a hidden gem!

axa5780

What a warm, sexy scent! I really enjoy the juniper berry opening. I "kinda" get the comparison to Joop, but this is more unique, warmer, longer lasting, and more natural. Dries down to a nice cinnamon/sandalwood drydown that is undeniably good smelling. Great compliment getter and will be in my collection for as long as possible. 10/10

dromidreza
dromidreza

این را هنوز بو نکردم ولی باز میگم.....بارها از همه پرسیدم چرا عطرهای این برند انقدر گرونه؟؟؟واقعا نمیفهمم.به جرات کارهاشون یا مثل بقیه س یا از اونا پایین تره.چیز خاصی که بگم وای 600000 تومان هم باشه میارزه نه .اصلا.

axa5780

this is a very sexy fragrance. Everyone loves it, and it's a great compliment getter.

Linden
Linden

Pleasantly sweet, warm fresh-spicy, I see the resemblance between both Joop and Indviduel, but OS is fresher, brighter. A nice tangy orange is quite apparent, blended with the rich cinnamon and subtle vanilla creating an appealing candy-like feeling that's charming without being juvenile or cloying. Great casual wear scent with good longevity.

atlsutiger
atlsutiger

The initial burst of cinnamon is a bit much for my liking but GOD DAMN that drydown is special!

Love it!

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

The color contrast of the bottle are like warm harvest tones. This is how I imagine the transition of summer and autumn smells. Original Santal is relative of Eau de Baux by L'Occitane... only spicier, more balmy and vanillic. Both share a smooth, warm and pleasurable sandalwood base.

burgundyaltima
burgundyaltima

Creed Original Santal smell is so intoxicating! and in my opinion the LONGEST LASTING Creed fragrance

*update* .. this use to be one of my favorite creed until i smelled Joop on my dad... this stuffs smells very similar to it...with that ..will not repurchase again..

gaffjd
gaffjd

Amazing..resemblance is there with the Joop, but only in the beginning. Creed is way better quality and certainly smells like it is. This cologne is extremely good and the drydown is fantastic

jgirgar
jgirgar

It had been a while since I wore this fragrance much less by itself. I love layering it with Guerlain Vetiver sometimes on the weekend. This is one where it's hard to wear on the chest/throat so I wear it best on the back of my neck and it moves around me. This one wears well all day and once it dries down it stays fairly linear. Well constructed juice of high quality ingredients. Perhaps it's the color of the bottle but I have "pink" thoughts when I wear this. Very easily labeled a unisex scent. JG 040212

dmoman
dmoman

Tried this stuff and its will be in my collection here very soon. This smells fantastic. I can see where ppl compare this to Joop and I think they have the simular ideas. Now saying that, the quality of this stuff is so much better than Joop. This perhaps is met more for the cooler months but I think you could pull this of on a summer night. I'd use this for a romantic night with my girl, scent to me is a 10 easy.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Nope. Sorry. Not smelling Joop! Homme here.

The sandalwood and cinnamon jump out at me first, with a perceived temperature surpassing 120°F. The heat that blows off this topnote structure is downright shimmery. Things cool off considerably with each passing minute, and a bracing lavender herbalizes this spicy cloud with its cold, almost metallic edge. This also helps boost the fruity juniper notes clear of the fog, and I'm reminded however briefly of Creed's popular EDT, Baie de Genievre. Cinnamon, with sweetness bolstered by light touches of nutmeg, ushers in another wave of spices, with coriander and ginger casting their transparent veil across this vessel's afterburners. At once subtle and articulate, Original Santal is the most compelling Millesime I've sniffed from Creed since encountering Original Vetiver two years ago. It seems both "original" Millesimes are examples of Olivier and Erwin's finest efforts. While OV is obviously derivative of Mugler Cologne, OS seems far truer to its name, and I can think of nothing else that holds sandalwood and hot spices in such high esteem. The sandalwood is always present in this fragrance, but rather than play a central role it is interspersed in lithe doses throughout the denser movements of many other ingredients. This potpourri swirls over a wane puddling of unsweetened vanilla, which would seem anemic if not for its effectiveness in anchoring and balancing such a headstrong composition.

Very modern, very original, and very well done.

RIVI1969
RIVI1969

Most reviewers say Original Santal smells like Joop! but I think is identical to Mont Blanc Individuel which I love BTW. For 1/3rd of the price, I rather get the MB!

$$
$$

I like it!Cinnamony vanilla sweet.joop does not smeel like this colonge give creed a little props now come on joop is horrible lol.

At Creed they don't know the word "moderation". Their pretentious (and fake) history represents anything but moderation as well as the outrageous price tags for their (too often) silly fragrances. Original Santal makes no exception and (obviously) doesn't smell at all like an high-end composition.

A cheap and ugly concoction of spices and sandalwood that's (unfotunately) incredibly long lasting. Often compared to Joop but nowhere close. Go figure!

talnyc
talnyc

I bought this when it first came out, and I loved the bottle with the red coloring. It is unisex, but I give the edge to masculine vs. feminine.

This is a summer scent. After using it up, I never thought of buying it again. I am glad I bought it and tried it, but it is not something that I would buy again.

Oslo-fjord

I like it very much, but I have to spray it on 1 hour before leaving home because all the magic is in the dry-down. Sweet, warm, spicy, and mysterious. A very unique high quality fragrance from Creed. Get ready for compliments!

m-hani

هم دوامش و هم پخش اون
با احترام

meshary007
meshary007

Nothing like joop plz do not insult creed

Opens spicy fruity dry down woody vanilla Tonka bean
Sent 7/10
I love creed just like HOTRODS

The original mix according to Creed:

Base Notes: Soulful Tonka bean; dreamlike vanilla

Papi
Papi

Who can tell me, why this one smells 99% like green irish tweed?

I think I can smell the difference but I dunno whether it's my nose or my mind.

Thanks!

K1
K1

Though Original Santal is not so welcomed among other Creed creations I like it in a way maybe because it reminds me Joop! Pour Homme.
Bearing in mind that all Creeds are common in a synthetic signature which is so bold, Original Santal starts with straight and attractive cinnamon coated sandal sharpened by juniper and razory coriander. Then gradually gets calm to aromatic lavender and tonka bean. The opening was so promising but not the rest. It’s nice, formal, chic and mass-pleaser but not something different. I think I don’t have to dig in Creed. They’re not on groundbreaking moods.

scentualMan
scentualMan

Now I understand all the Joop! references. Also, after smelling this I finally understood how people could love a scent like Joop!; however, Original Santal contains all the pleasant parts of Joop! w/o the sickening, synthetic sweetness, and as a result it is much better than Joop!. While this is not worth the Creed prices, in my opinion, I really like the way it smells. If you want something along these lines that isn't extremely synthetic or expensive, I suggest checking out Body Kouros by YSL.

Detroitcolognereview
Detroitcolognereview

What ruins this for me IS JOOP!! This cologne is so much more refined and has longer staying power than Joop but I am not spending this kind of cash for a replica of a ruined great cologne. So sad.

tetatu
tetatu

This is a Creed's version of the famous JOOP! Homme. Well, smells less synthetic and has more development, but overall there is too much similarity between these two scents. Instead of making a high-end version of popular scents I wish Creed would invest their effort into a more unique creations.

From online Creed store:

* Top Notes: Royal Indian sandalwood; cinnamon evoking calm and home; divine coriander; fragrant, cleansing juniper berry.
* Middle Notes: Tender lavender, leaves of the absolute orange tree; fragrant rosemary; revitalizing ginger.
* Base Notes: Soulful Tonka bean; dreamlike vanilla

dboy2083
dboy2083

loves it, smells like nothing else out there

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

I really dont know what to think of this.... There is ALOT of cinnamon going on in this frag, probably to much! This can be overbearing. It reminds me of that chewing gum called Big Red! Does anyone remember that? I dont know if they still make it. At any rate, its not a bad scent but it sure is not good either. Big Red chewing gum is not something I want to smell like.. 5/10

Creed ORIGINAL SANTAL is a complex and unique (original!) composition which opens with a decidedly masculine aromatic edge but quickly evolves through a couple of progressively more feminine stages.

The aromatic opening includes juniper, rosemary, and lavender--some standard notes for masculine scents. They quickly begin to fade, making room for the woody-oriental elements. I really thought that I detected patchouli in the mid-stage but it's not listed as a note.

The drydown is beautiful: a slightly spicy woodsiness which I find most appealing. The cinnamon is very light, and the ginger cuts the sweetness of the vanilla and the tonka bean.

All in all, a very enjoyable olfactory journey through a high quality edp with good staying power and medium sillage. Absolutely unisex. Some men will find the drydown too feminine, and some women will find the opening too masculine. They will be wrong! (-:

JeanMaurice

Pretty amazing! Smells a little like Joop BUT a thousand times better with more dept. This one have longevity and sillage so apply softly please!

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

this is for the guys who wrote ,that it smells like gum,like dentyne,my brother you are way off, for the other one that this smells like crap, look check this out creed has made colognes for when the begining, and thay have made scents to,using the best,topnotes,middle,notes ,and base,notes,now some of there scents,are complexed,and,some are very stronger scents, so most of creeds fragrances, when first applied,they come on strong,and you might want to wait for the dry down, i myself have many different colognes that i brought through luckyscents,what i have learned that a great fragrance well made when i first put on i thought oh my god i just lost 150-to250,but when i waited the drydown was worth every penny,ihave so many colognes that my wife thinks im isane,now lets get back to creed,again i almost had doubts about this cologne but like i said wait for the drydown this is very complex and it is a creed scent,cologne, my next creed is comming in ,acier aluminum,then i will buy,santal impirial, and i,think thats going to be the last one for sometime i think i have,over 20 colognes more then i needand again my wife thinks im insane,so for the guys who dont get it maybe axe would suite you better, i give this one two thumbs up!

ampiko
ampiko

The scent evolves with time. A refreshing sweet note is ever present. Lasts longer on a crisp day.

guest_All the junk
guest_All the junk

This is in-my-so-call-humble-opinion total crap. This is not santal! No santal in there, may be on the nametag but not in the juice. Perhaps javanol, bacdanol, ebanol or any crappy cheap and synthetic sweet woody accord in the dolce e gabana for men fasion but (I repeat) no natural santal... not even australian santal!!
Yours truly
All the scams

shamus1
shamus1

This is a terrible fragrance. It smells like Dentyne cinnamon gum mixed with one of today's awful clone fragrances (e.g., Romance for Men), with a little bit of a cheap spicy wood thrown in for wimpy effect. A piece of crap.

Stefan
Stefan

Lasts all day, a fall scent for sure.

liat
liat

A good one, if the price is right. a clever mixture, fun to wear.

guest_andyconda
guest_andyconda

This is one of my favorites. It smells good when u first put it on and smells even better after a while, top 5.

Original Santal by Creed 4.08 out of 5 based on 575 ratings and 94 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Creed Original Santal fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Creed Original Santal, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Original Santal by Creed. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Original Santal by Creed represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.