Designers » C » Leather « Groups

Royal English Leather Creed for women and men
dislike

leather
Royal English Leather Creed for women and men Pictures

Royal English Leather is the first fragrance created by Creed, ordered by King George III in 1781. Creed was the king's glove maker and he scented the king's gloves with Royal English Leather. The king loved the scented gloves so much he asked Creed to make it a personal perfume.

The perfume is rich and dense with soft citrus top on a leather and woods base. A true classic for both men and women who appreciate history.

Top notes: mandarin and bergamot. Core: ambergris. Base: leather and sandalwood.

It is available as 75 ml EDT. Royal English Leather was created by James Henry Creed First Generation and Olivier Creed Sixth Generation.

Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Ambergris

Leather Sandalwood

Knize Ten
Gomma

Royal English Leather Fragrance Reviews

cytherian
cytherian

EDIT: It's really sad how this has been vaulted. Every time I wear it (lightly), I feel like it's too precious... why bother to fall in love with something that will eventually disappear and be too costly to replace?
:-/
__________________________________________________________
Royal English Leather gives a light echo of Cuir de Russie, but with fewer florals and more leather. It's more refined than Knize Ten and creamier than Etro Gomma. It's a fantastic composition!

REL is definitely of very fine quality. I get a slight waxy floral sweetness, which is a wonderful quality for this kind of iconic leather aroma first popularized by Knize Ten. While Gomma is very close to Knize Ten with a more forward floral component, it's not quite as well put together as Royal English Leather. Still... among all three, my choice would be Etro Gomma for the sheer fact of much greater affordability. Alas, Gomma suffers a bit on longevity, whereas Royal English Leather holds on for a good many hours more.

It must be said, as it's the dark fact about this fragrance - it was discontinued some years back and is now terribly expensive. No telling if and when CREED will bring it back. Yet I must say, for those fragrance buyers who will never find Gomma because Etro is too far off their radar and were disappointed by the latest neutering reformulation of Knize Ten, they'd miss this fine fragrance composition unless CREED brings it back. And given CREED's strong brand recognition, I really think they should.

8.9 / 10.

K1
K1

OK, this is what the hell I expect from Creed when folks say "they have been making perfumes since over two centuries" and I have always enough room to appreciate such true imperial classics. Royal English Leather in first impression woos you with true saline and astringent smell of undyed leather. You get scent of fish-like salty tanned hide. I'm seriously occupied but its fatal beauty.

The fragrance unleashes by extremely powdery leather and bold soap nuances that is black, half shiny, thick and creaking to evoke the most tantalizing fetishist mood. At the same level, it conjures up aristocratic feudalist feeling merged by vintage luxury. After about half an hour when the fragrance settles the dark shades gradually diminish and soft woody base with plush creamy tone polish the surface of the leather.

Royal English Leather is a solid leather, reminiscent of elite cuir de Russie perfumes and I so like to call it a majestic version of Knize Ten. Whatever you call, it's boosted leather and gives hardcore leather fans a real goosebumps!
★★★★★

ILikePeeps
ILikePeeps

Ah, what the heck, I'm just gonna talk about it.... Creed's history. This is a good fragrance page to talk about it due to the 1781 date. Now, a lot of newbies in the frag comm. come upon the Creed house. It's a gateway niche house. Please try not to get sucked into Creed's BS marketing 'history'. Think about it.

This was supposedly released in 1781? Go get yourself a bottle of Royal English Leather, and send some to get analyzed by a GC-MS.

What if chemicals in the fragrance -didn't even exist- back in 1781? Mmmhm.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Creed is some glamorous history filled fragrance house. They were maybe a trailor brand, became a fragrance house. But don't worry, this isn't to say Creed fragrances are bad. I enjoy Creed! I have multiple bottles, :). Just don't fall for their marketing. Judge based on smell, (perceived) quality, longevity, whatever.

Oh, and also, Creed sells for a bunch more in USA than over in Europe. Go buy Creed from discounters or European retailers. Trust me. Don't pay USA retail price.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Not the most creative or interesting leather around and definitely unworthy its prices, especially now that it’s discontinued (sorry, “vaulted”), but I can’t really argue Royal English Leather’s quality. It smells good. Almost great, if you’re into classic, waxy, dark, austere “shoe polish-infused” tanning leather scents. True rich and faceted rusty leather, forget today’s stupidly flat and artificial Tuscan Leather-ish stuff. Just think of Knize Ten: Royal is definitely close to it, just adding a whiff of flowers, a very pleasant touch of ambery mandarine giving some “air”, colour and sparkling sweetness to the heaviness of leather, and in the most recent bottles, also Creed’s trademark base of metallic-dusty ambroxan. I had the chance of getting an older bottle of this, and that base accord was definitely not there – it was quite more all about leather and oily shoe-polish like notes (also darker, drier and spicier, overall slightly heavier too).

That’s it: no tremendous twists during its evolution – actually, almost no evolution at all, nothing particularly standing out. But it smells good, very good. It’s rich, distinguished, totally – somehow, slightly pedantically – elegant and austere, with the perfect balance of complexity and simplicity: it’s nearly only waxy, brownish, lived-in leather - done extremely well, with a subtle sort of ambery-floral-mandarine aura giving a perfect hint of bright sweetness, and yet it doesn’t smell boring or simplistic. Not even dated, actually; somehow it does have a “vintage” feel (think of Knize Ten again), and yet its texture feels crisp, clear, without the old-school thickness one may expect from this type of scent. Quintessentially British in fact: unexcitingly impeccable!

7,5/10

Let's face it not many 'Leather' fragrances actually smell like real leather. Some have leather notes which are fleeting or androgynous, changing all the while. Even some of the best that I'd class as brilliant leather scents like Tuscan leather smell as much like resins, fruit, class A drugs etc...as they do of leather.
This is another type again...the type that doesn't smell of leather much at all.

Now I got my sample of Royal English leather from 'The perfumed court' and I've heard horror stories that they sometimes label scents incorrectly and I'm thinking they may have done that here.
My sample smells very similar to Tauer's Eau d'epices, the second I smelled it I knew that I was familiar with this scent but couldn't think what it was.
I scanned my olfactory databanks and thought I'd never get it...took me about 20 mins to realise what it was.
This is just from memory here... because unfortunately I've warn all my Tauer sample to do a direct comparison. I seem to recall the opening of the tauer to be more aggressive and sharper, also the drydown much more gradual...this feels a bit mellow in comparison but essentially they are the same thing.
Cloves, orange, hint of white florals, ambergris and sandalwood...and probably much more.
I really like the smell of this I have to say but I was expecting something monumental.
I thought some of these lesser known Creed's might just be hidden gems, I hoped for a knockout leather but instead I got a very complex and interesting fragrance.
Not that I think Andy Tauer copied this or anything but it still makes Eau d'epices seem less innovative to me now.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This reminded me a lot of Royal Bain de Caron, but with slightly less violet. They're equally archaic, and equally bubblegummy. I won't go off on my usual "it's too feminine" rant because it's from such a different era that the criteria were different. Here in the modern world, though, it leaves me with a super-heavy boutique soap-bar smell, and almost no leather whatsoever (am I missing something!?). I wouldn't object to this smell in the form of a cherub-shaped guest soap on a red heart-shaped doily in a fancy, secluded Bed and Breakfast bathroom (though I'd die of cutesiness overdose), but for myself to smell like this just doesn't compute. It overwhelms me in an unwelcome way.

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

I am quickly becoming a Creed enthusiast and I've been paying attention to the vintage/vaulted Creed's. This fragrance is perhaps too vintage. There isn't anything appealing to me. Reminds me of the way Knize Ten smells, which smells nothing like leather, even though it is supposed to. It smells like a fragrance an old lady should wear. Yuck.

Caist
Caist

if it was made in the 1700's. LEAVE IT THERE

aucffan1
aucffan1

if any one can share a sample of this please message me with contact info or let me know how I can get in touch with you..

I live in Florida, USA

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

Incredibly luxurious and long lasting. One needs a crown, throne, scepter and navy to do this one justice.

storm61
storm61

Guys come on, please leave your prejudices against Creed at least with this fragrance. It was made in 1781 now that s history man, that s history.

chrisaxp
chrisaxp

This is the smell of success, of victory, of accomplishment, of confidence. It is a strong scent, but not in an overtly sexual way. The picture it brings to mind is that of a man surveying his world and knowing that he is the master of not only what he sees but of himself.

The initial mandarin smell is strong but only lasts long enough to remind you that there is more to life than the leather of the bottom tones. There is beauty in this world that you have mastered, and you need to take the time to stop and examine it once you have taken in that beauty, you can go back to ordering the world around you, leather crop in hand.

This scent had a powerful impact on me and I will find a way to add it to my collection.

jrichart
jrichart

Royal English Leather es una fragancia que le tengo ganas desde hace muy poco tiempo pues sus casi 200 años de historia me apabullan esto probáblemente debe ser una de las fragancias mas antiguas que existan. Me conformo sólo con probarla en una muestra. Me imagino que será el primer perfume de la familia cuero de la historia ya que anteriormente supongo que los perfumes seguirían el clásico binomio cítrico-florales. Haber si me consigo un sample de the perfumed court y me lo pongo para la boda de mi prima.

Scentrist
Scentrist

And as an FYI to anyone who was looking for this (please note the past tense being operative), Creed has stopped manufacturing. I believe there is no supply left, other than Creed's infamous vault. Slowly, the heritage of Creed is being transformed and many of those vintage scents are fading away. This is a definite loss.

Creed English Leather was never in my wishlist, but I acquired a bottle as the seller just threw it into the bundle when I made a purchase of Creed Original Santal.

In my opinion, it is so unbearably strong and animalic at the beginning, and I don't comprehend what I am smelling until it get to settle down for a little bit. Then I begin to smell sandalwood and actual old expensive intage leather. It smells incense, something powdery and woody. At the same time, it is kinda milky like a leather conditioner. I can say that it smells dusty too or perhaps my bottle is a little old (my liquid seems a bit darker than this picture).

It's only been an hour, and there is no sign of it fading away. I don't think this is gonna change anymore, and I can't see myself use it at all. It's just not my type. I'm contemplating whether I should get rid of it or keep it for the sake of having it. Afterall, it is like a gift to me.

Remark: So it actually turns out quite nice as it dries down to just sandalwood. It smells like a vintage perfume and still has this dusty smell. It's really masculine and hard to imagine a woman wear this.

Surely among my favorites in the Creed's range. RIL basically strikes as a smoother (and much expensier) version of Knize Ten. Soft leather and amber in a perfect blend that's rich deep and completely satisfying. Surely much more easily approachable than the Knize due to its mannered presence. Very Good.. Me? I stick with Knize.

TommyB
TommyB

Smelled like womens hand cream to me. Not for me.

Louw
Louw

Definitely leathery with strong wood undertones, but there's something in there that I can't identify but which makes it a little too bitter for my liking.

A little bit different from the run of the mill, however.

johnstaf
johnstaf

I think this is a scent for the person who knows they love leather. A lot of other leather fragrances merely have leather as a note, but REL really is all about the leather, and while the note is sweetened and slightly altered, it's more like putting sugar in coffee than adding prominent new notes to the mix.

RIVI1969
RIVI1969

More than a review, I do a comparison with TF Tuscan Leather which is one of my benchmarks for leather scents. I do not intend to determine a winner or a loser because as we know every nose is different and anyone who thinks he can say this smell better that is wrong... this comparison only serves to precisely enumerate findings and differences between them, there are no winners or losers.

Both perfumes open with very disparate notes: The notes of red currant and thyme saffron are fused together to create in Tuscan much sweeter blend of aromas, REL, begins with mandarin and bergamot, is drier, more linear and more natural, in the strict sense of a literal "leather" aroma.

The heart starts beating in both perfumes very similar; they share similar notes but with one big difference: REL remains true to its animal essence, whereas the presence of birch resin in Tuscan makes it more plastic, and the effect of leather is fused with a touch of rubber and oil. Tuscan is more complex, more deep, which makes it no better or worse, is a characteristic that differs it form REL.

The bases are the same: amber, sandalwood and leather so once developed, the scents begins to resemble more and more. In REL the leather fades to leave us a trace of sandal, Tuscan keeps a touch of rubber in a very subtle way. Tuscan Leather is a modern version of the genre, kinder.

I think that fans of the genre of leather, especially for the Orthodox, REL is the most faithful of both, and I'm sure when Creed stop manufacturing it, it will achieve the same level of cult of VINTAGE TABAROME, and those who get a bottle, will keep it locked for use only on those special occasions where it is necessary to make a statement, leave that through aroma that is possessed of exquisite taste purist and refined.

For something they have for over 200 years, is a classic.

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

this is a very refine leather scent,there is a story behind this very old scent,made for a king, king george the third,he liked the scent of his leather gloves, well there is more to the story,but ,yes the of his gloves so he commishend,creed to re create the scent of his leather gloves, and that was in 1781,and still the same recipe till today i realy enjoy this scent five stars, at first sprsy it comes on kinda srtong and weird let it dry down and wow again i love creed fragrances well i hope you find thescent thats you good luck.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Creed Royal English Leather fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Creed Royal English Leather, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Royal English Leather by Creed. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Royal English Leather by Creed represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.