Designers » C » Leather « Groups

Royal English Leather Creed for women and men
dislike

leather
Royal English Leather Creed for women and men Pictures

Royal English Leather is the first fragrance created by Creed, ordered by King George III in 1781. Creed was the king's glove maker and he scented the king's gloves with Royal English Leather. The king loved the scented gloves so much he asked Creed to make it a personal perfume.

The perfume is rich and dense with soft citrus top on a leather and woods base. A true classic for both men and women who appreciate history.

Top notes: mandarin and bergamot. Core: ambergris. Base: leather and sandalwood.

It is available as 75 ml EDT. Royal English Leather was created by James Henry Creed First Generation and Olivier Creed Sixth Generation.

Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Ambergris

Leather Sandalwood

Royal English Leather Fragrance Reviews

K1
K1

Creed English Leather; no matter when it released the first; is all about demonstration of power. It blasts out with strong leather sweet dark which sweetness is overlapped by immense soapy powdery accord which I can’t find any note in the pyramid doing this but bergamot. But it can’t be bergamot, I swear I’m getting some iris and tolu balsam’ish stream affecting the leather. In a way English Leather reminds me the same title by Dana. This is an iconic formulation in English aromatic style which I known from many British brands, if I’m not mistaken Penhaligon’s have something similar too.
Anyhow, I’m out of soapy smells, but this old school scientist-bearded noble 19th century fragrance is something Creed should be applauded for. It’s fresh but not summery fresh, heavy, classy, old school and autumny.

gallian
gallian

This perfume has no traces of its existence before 1982. Creed must learn that the lies has short legs!

Redbeard
Redbeard

This reminded me a lot of Royal Bain de Caron, but with slightly less violet. They're equally archaic, and equally bubblegummy. I won't go off on my usual "it's too feminine" rant because it's from such a different era that the criteria were different. Here in the modern world, though, it leaves me with a super-heavy boutique soap-bar smell, and almost no leather whatsoever (am I missing something!?). I wouldn't object to this smell in the form of a cherub-shaped guest soap on a red heart-shaped doily in a fancy, secluded Bed and Breakfast bathroom (though I'd die of cutesiness overdose), but for myself to smell like this just doesn't compute. It overwhelms me in an unwelcome way.

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

I am quickly becoming a Creed enthusiast and I've been paying attention to the vintage/vaulted Creed's. This fragrance is perhaps too vintage. There isn't anything appealing to me. Reminds me of the way Knize Ten smells, which smells nothing like leather, even though it is supposed to. It smells like a fragrance an old lady should wear. Yuck.

Caist
Caist

if it was made in the 1700's. LEAVE IT THERE

cloft18
cloft18

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase this and have found a 250 ml that I can buy and split up. PM me if you are interested in splitting (include how much you want). If somebody has a bottle that they would like to sell (75 ml full or partial) PM me what you would like for it trade or cash. Thanks

aucffan1
aucffan1

if any one can share a sample of this please message me with contact info or let me know how I can get in touch with you..

I live in Florida, USA

Nicolas V
Nicolas V

Incredibly luxurious and long lasting. One needs a crown, throne, scepter and navy to do this one justice.

storm61
storm61

Guys come on, please leave your prejudices against Creed at least with this fragrance. It was made in 1781 now that s history man, that s history.

chrisaxp
chrisaxp

This is the smell of success, of victory, of accomplishment, of confidence. It is a strong scent, but not in an overtly sexual way. The picture it brings to mind is that of a man surveying his world and knowing that he is the master of not only what he sees but of himself.

The initial mandarin smell is strong but only lasts long enough to remind you that there is more to life than the leather of the bottom tones. There is beauty in this world that you have mastered, and you need to take the time to stop and examine it once you have taken in that beauty, you can go back to ordering the world around you, leather crop in hand.

This scent had a powerful impact on me and I will find a way to add it to my collection.

jrichart
jrichart

Royal English Leather es una fragancia que le tengo ganas desde hace muy poco tiempo pues sus casi 200 años de historia me apabullan esto probáblemente debe ser una de las fragancias mas antiguas que existan. Me conformo sólo con probarla en una muestra. Me imagino que será el primer perfume de la familia cuero de la historia ya que anteriormente supongo que los perfumes seguirían el clásico binomio cítrico-florales. Haber si me consigo un sample de the perfumed court y me lo pongo para la boda de mi prima.

Scentrist
Scentrist

And as an FYI to anyone who was looking for this (please note the past tense being operative), Creed has stopped manufacturing. I believe there is no supply left, other than Creed's infamous vault. Slowly, the heritage of Creed is being transformed and many of those vintage scents are fading away. This is a definite loss.

Creed English Leather was never in my wishlist, but I acquired a bottle as the seller just threw it into the bundle when I made a purchase of Creed Original Santal.

In my opinion, it is so unbearably strong and animalic at the beginning, and I don't comprehend what I am smelling until it get to settle down for a little bit. Then I begin to smell sandalwood and actual old expensive intage leather. It smells incense, something powdery and woody. At the same time, it is kinda milky like a leather conditioner. I can say that it smells dusty too or perhaps my bottle is a little old (my liquid seems a bit darker than this picture).

It's only been an hour, and there is no sign of it fading away. I don't think this is gonna change anymore, and I can't see myself use it at all. It's just not my type. I'm contemplating whether I should get rid of it or keep it for the sake of having it. Afterall, it is like a gift to me.

Remark: So it actually turns out quite nice as it dries down to just sandalwood. It smells like a vintage perfume and still has this dusty smell. It's really masculine and hard to imagine a woman wear this.

Surely among my favorites in the Creed's range. RIL basically strikes as a smoother (and much expensier) version of Knize Ten. Soft leather and amber in a perfect blend that's rich deep and completely satisfying. Surely much more easily approachable than the Knize due to its mannered presence. Very Good.. Me? I stick with Knize.

TommyB
TommyB

Smelled like womens hand cream to me. Not for me.

Louw
Louw

Definitely leathery with strong wood undertones, but there's something in there that I can't identify but which makes it a little too bitter for my liking.

A little bit different from the run of the mill, however.

johnstaf
johnstaf

I think this is a scent for the person who knows they love leather. A lot of other leather fragrances merely have leather as a note, but REL really is all about the leather, and while the note is sweetened and slightly altered, it's more like putting sugar in coffee than adding prominent new notes to the mix.

RIVI1969
RIVI1969

More than a review, I do a comparison with TF Tuscan Leather which is one of my benchmarks for leather scents. I do not intend to determine a winner or a loser because as we know every nose is different and anyone who thinks he can say this smell better that is wrong... this comparison only serves to precisely enumerate findings and differences between them, there are no winners or losers.

Both perfumes open with very disparate notes: The notes of red currant and thyme saffron are fused together to create in Tuscan much sweeter blend of aromas, REL, begins with mandarin and bergamot, is drier, more linear and more natural, in the strict sense of a literal "leather" aroma.

The heart starts beating in both perfumes very similar; they share similar notes but with one big difference: REL remains true to its animal essence, whereas the presence of birch resin in Tuscan makes it more plastic, and the effect of leather is fused with a touch of rubber and oil. Tuscan is more complex, more deep, which makes it no better or worse, is a characteristic that differs it form REL.

The bases are the same: amber, sandalwood and leather so once developed, the scents begins to resemble more and more. In REL the leather fades to leave us a trace of sandal, Tuscan keeps a touch of rubber in a very subtle way. Tuscan Leather is a modern version of the genre, kinder.

I think that fans of the genre of leather, especially for the Orthodox, REL is the most faithful of both, and I'm sure when Creed stop manufacturing it, it will achieve the same level of cult of VINTAGE TABAROME, and those who get a bottle, will keep it locked for use only on those special occasions where it is necessary to make a statement, leave that through aroma that is possessed of exquisite taste purist and refined.

For something they have for over 200 years, is a classic.

HOTRODS BY JP
HOTRODS BY JP

this is a very refine leather scent,there is a story behind this very old scent,made for a king, king george the third,he liked the scent of his leather gloves, well there is more to the story,but ,yes the of his gloves so he commishend,creed to re create the scent of his leather gloves, and that was in 1781,and still the same recipe till today i realy enjoy this scent five stars, at first sprsy it comes on kinda srtong and weird let it dry down and wow again i love creed fragrances well i hope you find thescent thats you good luck.

Royal English Leather by Creed 3.89 out of 5 based on 78 ratings and 19 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Creed Royal English Leather fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Creed Royal English Leather, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Royal English Leather by Creed. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Royal English Leather by Creed represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.