Designers » C » Oriental Woody « Groups

Santal Imperial Creed for men

Santal Imperial Creed for men
dislike

Santal Imperial is pure masculine fragrance, a powerful combination of spices and wood, originally made for the Austro-Hungarian Emperor in the 1800's. The fragrance takes its name from its main ingredient—Mysore sandalwood. Mysore is known as the "City of Palaces" in India.

Top notes: bergamot, citrus. Heart: Tonka bean. Base: ambergris and sandalwood. Santal Imperial was launched in 1850. The nose behind this fragrance is Henry Creed Third Generation.

Bergamot Citruses

Tonka Bean

Sandalwood Ambergris

Santal Imperial Fragrance Reviews

landshark321
landshark321

Santal Imperial is a now-discontinued offering by Creed that fits well into its flagship category of fresh woody fragrances, a blend of bergamot, tonka, sandalwood, and Creed's signature ambergris base. It's a very pleasant mix without being outstanding among either contemporary fragrances or even the discontinued EDTs, such as Epicea, that I love.

Performance is average at best, especially considering the potential price tag, and it's not terribly unique, yet I'm still a little surprised this was discontinued, given that it's easy to wear and fits in well with their fresh woody group. I imagine it might fare better than Bois de Cedrat in current markets.

Another interesting Creed fragrance, it's not one I'll be chasing down but I was happy to try it out.

7 out of 10

bugsyiii
bugsyiii

Just received Santal Imperial and I am in love with it. I find SI to be quite pleasant and enjoyable; SI is creamy and sweet, I don't detect so much wood as others have noted nor extreme citrus. I detect a light citrus note and hints of vanilla. This would be for me classified as a unisex scent and not 'pure' masculine in my opinion. Now, this is very different from OS but there or small hints and very reminiscent of Himalaya and MI, again in its own class still...no one has mentioned a similarity of Royal Delight then again, maybe that's just me with the sweetness detection. Overall, wonderful fragrance that I highly recommend!!

Update:This fragrance is amazing! So, even though this is gray top (older fragrance) fragrance, it actually smells very modern. In this I get florals and sweets...there is bergamot in there and some amber however, it is this creamy musk that plays the majority role. Lovely juice; light, slightly citrusy with a touch of powder. This falls somewhere between Silver Mountain and MI. Great fragrance indeed!

Guest_Colin Maillard
Guest_Colin Maillard

A joke for its retail price assuming it’s still in production (or however, for the price it had when it was available), but overall nice if you manage to get it for some substantial fraction of the cost. Santal Imperial opens – and more or less, so remains – with a distinguished whiff of citrus and bergamot blended with a sort of warm and creamy texture arising from a dusty, sultry base of ambergris and tobacco with some tame sort of mossy musk, and a really smooth and bright woody accord which I guess may contain some synthetic sandalwood too –I get very little of it though, close to zero; all the woody side feels to me more like earthy vetiver paired with some weightless sweet-plushy nonsense like cashmeran. A soapy, clean, really cozy woody base with a nondescript Oriental vibe of spicy, cocoa-infused tonka and probably some red pepper too. Quite generic, but it works, a bit in the same broad league of Tom Ford for Men with less ambery orange, less freshness and a earthier texture, with more ambergris and woods and also a bit more conservative, old school and formal than that (in other words I am not saying these two fragrances smell similar, this was just a matter of, say, a similar “vibe” with similar Oriental chords). Finally I also think there’s something floral, definitely a delicate sweet-grassy vibe which I can’t really identify but it provides an enjoyable sort of silky-powdery touch (someone mentioned iris in another review, it may be it in fact, maybe with a herbal touch of clary sage).

So this is it, you get the picture, an enjoyably mannered albeit rather weak and proudly uninspired spicy-creamy-woody Oriental scent with a sweet floral vibe and a sort of faint mood halfway pedantic and austere, distantly rooted into the classic citrus fougère tradition but also close to several Oriental masculine fragrances from the late 1990’s (to the point I feel this may have been created back then, but I’m not yet skilled enough in converting Creed years in human years so I don’t know what 1850 translates into in real world). Closer to a pale neurotic bourgeois chap than anything or anyone “Imperial”, but a fine scent for sure – a really discreet and close-to-skin fragrance which nonetheless, for some reasons manages to gift you with some sillage consistently coming and going for some hours.

6,5-7/10 (for a fair price)
5/10 (for its actual price)

Redbeard
Redbeard

I remembered this being extraordinarily weak from before, and it is in fact so weak that it's difficult to review (unless my vial has gone bad). It's a decent sandalwood, not too medicinal, not too sweet, with more of the scent of just plain wood than a lot of other sandalwood scents give you (maybe they added some cedar?). It's very smooth, and it has some of that tantalizing, semi-perfumey, expensive-smelling Creed base that they use a lot. Unfortunately, later on it gets kind of sweet and sticky, but by this point it's so weak that it could smell like maple syrup and it would still seem light. Some Creeds I'd be willing to pay the price for, but if step one in my decision is just being able to smell the damn thing, then this one is having a hard time getting past that stage. Plus, considering how many other sandalwood scents are on the market, I think it's time for me to move on.

eastcoastguy128
eastcoastguy128

Opens with citrusy almost alcoholic whiff to it.

There is a brief note of something very animalistic and musky. Closest to a real ambergris experience that I have ever had.

Settles down to a majestic traditional perfume with the citrus remaining as a balance.

agree with other reviewers from basenotes:

"It is a sweet sandalwood layered over a super prominent ambergris base"
"whatever is used in Santal Imperial smells very true to the salty, sweet and slightly animalic character of the real stuff."

To my nose, had this sweet sawdusty sandalwood scent without ambergris an hour later. Someone else wrote that the fragrance is very light and dancing in and out of perception. I thought it was gone but when I sat down to eat I was pleasantly surprised by the sandalwood scent coming back.

True masterpiece-very majestic fragrance with quality natural ingredients. This is what made me appreciate Creed in the first place.

rowan.walters
rowan.walters

I have a bottle of Santal Imperial manufactured in 2002, and it was only when looking at the box today that I noticed it read "Eau de Toilette".
All my other creed fragrances do not specify a concentration, yet I have always seen them referred to as "eaux de parfum", which I have always doubted - given their poor longevity.
Anyhow, I initially acquired Santal Imperial out of historical curiosity. I wanted to know what Austro-Hungarian Kaiser und König Franz-Josef smelled like. And Nicholas II. There's a kind of tragic glamour surrounding those rulers of fallen empires, and I was curious to know this fragrance that adorned Habsburgs and Romanovs.
The first thing that struck me about Santal Imperial was its relative weakness for an Eau de Toilette. It seems to be more like a cologne than anything else, and opens with a citrus note that is now almost a Creed cliché. This top note is only a fleeting presence however and rapidly gives way to an elegant , slightly musky, classic sandalwood accord, which I presume is sandalwood, tonka bean and ambergris. This latter seems to have a very distinct animalic presence, which I presume must be the ambergris.
Overall it is a very elegant fragrance, but as others have observed, the longevity is very poor which I find surprising given that it was created in an age before anti-perspirant deodorant. I can only imagine that a day with the imperial court in high summer may have started put smelling nice and fresh, but must have been devolved into a rather stinky experience.
An interesting historical curiosity, but in light of rarity and terrible longevity, I would consign it to the past. I no longer bother wearing Santal Imperial out since after 20 minutes it's as though one is not wearing anything at all (fragrance wise). .

Bandit
Bandit

Whoever expects this to be "santal" (like me), maybe because of the name (?), will be vastly disappointed (like me). Boring Aftershave for the price you'd get really really incredible stuff from other houses.

Another Creed fail.

P.S.: For your sandalwood fix look no further than to the three big ones: Tam Dao, Santal Noble and/or Santal Majuscule.

sandaloud
sandaloud

masterwork. so much better, deeper, more austere and more refined than original santal. creed please don't discontinue this!

sotiriosc
sotiriosc

What does this smell like, literally opens with a beautiful "classic" citrus with a background of sandal wood. Then reveals its soft and sensual Tonka bean, really is just a sweetness and lastly your left with a sandalwood ambergris base. Amazing scent. too bad its going to be discontinued.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Formulated in 1850? Wow! So... how come nobody here is calling it an "old man scent?" :)

This is not, to my nose, "pure masculine." It smells a wee bit cloying. Not for me.

Creed SANTAL IMPERIAL is certainly not a "pure masculine fragrance"! In fact, when I first applied it, my reaction was that this one was probably marketed to women and/or universal.

The composition is quite simple and likeable, really a quasi-single note presentation of sandalwood which has been lightly tempered with amber. The citrus is very understated, so this does not open aromatically at all, and the tonka bean is also light enough to impart only the slightest sweetness.

I am finding in my journeys through Creed that the older scents--those created centuries ago--tend to be very natural, with high quality components, and SANTAL IMPERIAL is just such a creation. Unfortunately, there seems to be an inverse relation between naturalness and staying power, which makes investing in a bottle problematic, given the cost. I like SANTAL IMPERIAL quite a lot, but while a fine fragrance, it is not to my nose exceptional.

guest_oslo-fjord
guest_oslo-fjord

This masterpiece from 1850(!) is the highest level of elegance and good taste! It`s majestic! That a fragrance created so many years ago still works so well, tell us a little aboute this house qualities. This wonderful sandalwood scent is my no.1 formal scent in my collection. I`m so tierd of the new fresh/sport/aqua designer publishing these days so many people are wearing. with this one, I feel that I stand out from rest of the bunch.. As with most of the EDT from Creed, the longevity could be better. Higly recommended!

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Creed Santal Imperial fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Creed Santal Imperial, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Santal Imperial by Creed. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Santal Imperial by Creed represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.