Designers » D E » Aromatic Spicy « Groups

Chevalier d'Orsay D`Orsay for men

Chevalier d'Orsay D`Orsay for men
dislike

Chevalier d'Orsay D`Orsay for men Pictures

Like his friends Berlioz, Alfred de Vigny and Lamartine, the Chevalier d'Orsay left a breath of romanticism in his wake. Painter, sculptor and alchemist of luxury, elegance and love, he became a gifted creator of perfumes. Perfume was created in 1911.

Top notes: Fresh lemon, basil, orange, lavender.

Middle notes: Nutmeg, mint, black pepper, cinnamon.

Base notes: Moss, patchouli, vanilla, musk.

Lavender Amalfi Lemon Orange Basil

Nutmeg Cinnamon Pepper Mint

Musk Patchouli oak moss Vanille

Jabot

Chevalier d'Orsay Fragrance Reviews

mabelcruet
mabelcruet

I'll start by professing my ignorance-I'm a complete novice. I got this as a sample as a blind tester (it was one of those 'people who bought the fragrances in your shopping cart also bought these......). I didn't even realise it was for men until I read up on it, but what the heck, I gave it a go.

It is glorious! Absolutely gorgeous and I am totally in love. It starts out as a slightly bitter herbal citrus-its fresh orange zest rather than orange juice. The basil in this just works perfectly-I've tried Jo Malone Lime Basil and Mandarin and that was rank on me, but this citrus basil combination is wonderful. The middle spicy notes are smooth and warm-I've tried Fracas which has similar cinnamon spice notes and that was awful on me, but Chevalier D'Orsay seems to be a perfect combination of gentle warm spice without bitterness, a hint of sweetness with the vanilla and the rounded musk underlying it all. This isn't an over the top macho man scent, this is pure class, and could be unisex (unless you're the type who like sweet candy or bright florals). For a woman, I'd say this was a winter evening scent.

Redbeard
Redbeard

Mixed feelings. I doused my shirt and two folded tissues with the whole mL+...the juice was in a non-resealable plastic blister-type sample (what a remarkably stupid way to package it!). Because of this, I'm writing a very stream-of-consciousness review because this is the only shot I get, and I suspect that I got fatigued to the scent in the process.

It's a light greenish citrus, with some subtle florals mixed in...they appear where it got on skin but not until later on fabric. It has that bright shiny golden feel contributed by certain sharp herbs, as in AdP Intensa, Burberry original, Dolce and Gabbana, or Platinum Egoiste. For a while, it seems to be getting sharper in its herbiness, approaching Villoresi Uomo, and the lemon peel really starts to stand out. It would almost be a perfectly natural lemon peel, but the herbs give it a disappointingly wilted mustiness that approaches Joy, or a similar lemon dishsoap. Soon, on cloth but not on the tissues, the mustiness of the lemon peel starts to clear up, leaving only the good parts. Eventually, it's down to a vague but classy floral lemon residue on cloth (even though I used 3-4 times my usual SOTD amount), and it reeks horrendously of fetid dishsoap on the tissues (too much lavender!).

As a frequent tissue-tester, I can safely say that this scent varies more between cloth and tissue than anything else I've ever tried, and I really don't appreciate that. (I know, I know, "it will only smell proper on skin, etc, etc...", spare me the dogma!) Still, what's intriguing is that, like AdP Intensa, it leaves on cloth a transparent but very persistent aura of refinement, which I can never assign to a particluar plant note, but simply smells expensive. A gentle cloud of golden fleece, perhaps?

bigkk
bigkk

I, by all rights, am a fragrance novice. I know I appreciate what smells good and avoide what doesn't suit my taste. My uncle was unloading some colognes and I found myself in posession of two vintage frags, Givenchy Xeryus (blue art deco bottle) and what has to be a late 70's to mid 80's FULL bottle & box of Chevalier d'Orsay. I did the research, and came up surprisingly emptyhanded. All I can understand is that it's a quite rare bottle.

Anyway, this quickly surpassed Pure Malt and Aventus as my 'dress-to-impress' scent. Seriously, I typically hit manly, fresh, or darker fragrances. This is delightfully out of my comfort zone. The opening is a smokey/sweet that I can't explain with due dignity to the cologne. I'm in my third hour as we speak and it is still firing a liquid cinnamon/honey/hot toddy that I'm just enfatuated with. And it projects. Seriously, it gives no f's. Rightfully so. The end is, and I only describe as such because I don't have the olfactory perception to pontificate on each note, what I believe a truly comfortable man should smell like. Confident, sweet, spiced, and assuredly dignified. With more complexity and depth than I knew possible by frags.

This will never see the office. I'll employ some more acceptable dailys for that. One, it is far too rare. Two, I don't need the headache of explaining what I have on and why the newly hired girls suddenly 'need my advice'. Just try to find it, please. This is one that you'll coddle one dap at a time.

guest_cleopatrasboudoir
guest_cleopatrasboudoir

I have a sealed bottle of vintage 1930s Chevalier by D'Orsay, however, I just checked it and it was a lil loose so I moved the stopper a little without breaking the threaded seal, got some drops of perfume onto my skin and oh my goodness, what a heady, erotic, swoon-worthy fragrance.

The fragrance opened up with a quick rush of delightful sweetness like cherry tobacco, mandarin oranges, and boysenberries all dripping with the spices, nutmeg, coriander, and incense laden carnations. Now, the creamy orange blossom and the tuberose are making love within the perfume and producing a heady, narcotic mix which whirls my brain into the upper stratosphere. As it is drying down, the tuberose and neroli don't die, they continue to propagate and mix with oakmoss, powdery iris and amber. I detect a sort of animalic leathery sweet suede note and benzoin, but that isn't a listed note..

I dont get the citrusy smells, probably because it is the old formulation and not the reorchestrated version. The juice has turned into a very dark brown, and almost sepia in color. It is a syrupy concotion, like a witch's dark aphrodisiac. I am enthralled and enslaved. I cannot stop sniffing my wrist, where the fragrance is still blossoming from the warmth of my skin.

Chevalier d'Orsay by D`Orsay 4.22 out of 5 based on 28 ratings and 4 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about D`Orsay Chevalier d'Orsay fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about D`Orsay Chevalier d'Orsay, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chevalier d'Orsay by D`Orsay. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chevalier d'Orsay by D`Orsay represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.