Designers » D E » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Bitter Rose, Broken Spear D.S. & Durga for women and men

Bitter Rose, Broken Spear D.S. & Durga for women and men
dislike

herbal

“From Ulster fort to Argyll’s holy top, Red Branch nights, proud chiefs in wool, faded dyes – rowan berry, bitter rose, hunt in wood-of-wonders, melancholy thistle, for feasts, water-of-life, Caeawg’s amber wreath, smelted iron, wine-in-horn, now broken spear and empty hills.”

embers, wild mountain thyme, cubeb
bitter rose, thistle, nutmeg
smelted iron, amber, larch

Bitter Rose, Broken Spear was launched in 2013.

Thyme Ember Cubeb or Tailed pepper

Nutmeg Rose Thistle

Amber Larch Hot iron

Bitter Rose, Broken Spear Fragrance Reviews

micavana
micavana

Let me start by saying I am not one to dwell on the negative, or to slam something, just because I can. More often that not I would rather just let things go vs say something negative, After all, what does being negative buy us? But for this one I have to say what I really think. For me this one is a big No... Just NO. This one should be renamed to.. Grandma's coming, run and hide..

In the initial spray of this I get freezer burned roses. Like someone put roses in a freezer bag, didn't fully close the bag, placed it in a deep freeze and pulled it out several months later.

After it mellows for a bit the freezer burn starts to subside and a very feminine old lady smell comes out. My dearly departed grandmother would have loved this scent, me.. not so much.

Other reviewers have mentioned that they have grown to like this one after several wearings, but I cannot honestly say that I want to wear this one again.., EVER.

I also do not see how this one can, even the slightest bit, be labeled as a unisex scent.

Bottom line: If you enjoy the old lady smell, or are OK with hanging in there in case you grow to like a scent, then give this one a try. but for me.. NO.. Just NO!

iskander
iskander

Picture coming home to a cabin in the woods after a long walk in a rainy and misty forest, thistles and heather clinging to your shoes and moist woolen sweater. Lighting the fireplace, pouring yourself a glass of whisky and reading an old book with yellowed pages. That's what Bitter Rose, Broken Spear smells like.

ami.alger
ami.alger

This line is always good for something a little different.

Opens very sour on my skin, hot metal and wet caves come next, two ideas that clash and dance apart before clashing again, not always with pleasant results.
10 minutes in, earth & ash come to the forefront, reminding me of campfires doused by spring rain. The sour note still lurks, weaving in & out, oddly familiar. This is very much an outdoor scent, evocative of rolling hills in the damp spring.
Then, 30 minutes in, there is a thankfully brief period where the sour comes to the forefront enough for me to recognise it: olives. Cocktail olives, green, oily, & bitter. Whoa. Soon it starts to war with something fizzy, something, I also recognise, & then it takes center stage for the rest of it's brief but enjoyable duration.
Rose, but rose that is recognisable to anyone who's had a Lush bath bomb. It's Tisty Toasty, complete with the sodium bicarb edge.

I like this; I respect it as art. Certainly, I would recommend a sample as a palette cleanser. But I imagine it would take a rare individual to enjoy all it's facets (damp cave & fizzy rose? An odd pair to be sure.) Most impressive is that it has so many clear stages as it morphs towards its final destination. They hit the mark of a scent that tells a story, which is at least worth a sniff or ten.

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

I like this - it's fascinating and unusual but still wearable. I try to avoid reading the marketing blurbs for fragrances because they're typically ridiculous (and this is no exception), but this really does remind me of damp winter woods in northern Britain. It comes across far more sour than bitter on my skin. The metallic, earthy rose is simply beautiful and complex. A mossy smokiness lasts for hours without being acrid. I won't pay $180 for a perfume, but damn, I love my sample.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

This opens with an evocative blast of stagnant air, like the basement of a blacksmith. Theres a slight metallic edge, and a mildly mineralic, dirty component that conjures images of the dampest, darkest, dirtiest spider web infested corners of the world. It's monolithic, and I totally love it. The overall musty, room-like effect is what really makes it interesting to me, It gives it a contemporary yet-medieval air. A sweet, greenish rose note begins to show itself shortly after application and it grows and grows. Eventually, the smoke burns away and leaves a dirty rose, with a savory peppery spiciness that I get tired of way too quickly. It's sort of thin and sharp to my nose and by the end of the day I am itching to scrub.

In short, I suppose I love the broken spear, but the bitter rose could use some tuning. All in all worth a sniff, but only the opening is for me. 6/10

lafindesiecle
lafindesiecle

This is dark and dirty. Burnt wood and cold metal, damp stone, lots of smoke and undergrowth.

I love this out of the bottle and on other people, but on me something sadly goes sour in the drydown and I begin to smell more like an old boot than, like, the mountain witch warrior I expected out of the bottle. While they don't smell similar, if you're a fan of Andrea Maack's Coven this has a similar feel (and also sadly doesn't work on me despite my really liking it.)

Silage was huge on me, longevity about 4 hrs, completely gone within 8.

42gr
42gr

Of all the Durgas I have tried so far

Foxglove,
Spirit of the Glen,
Isle Ryder,
Bitter Rose Broken Spear,
Pale Grey Mountain

This is probably the one I like the most. It has character.
and gets rated above pleasant. I normally hate rose but this is done very well.

If you think this is dark, by god, you need to try Bois d'Ascese.
This is light grey in comparison.

Like all the Durgas I have tried so far, longevity and sillage are on the lowish side.

This is most definitely not bizarre. It has character and is quite wearable

KevinV
KevinV

Never ceases to amaze me how differently we experience scents. For me, I get the rose, thistle, and larch in a wonderful combination which yields a very masculine rose. I have no problem wearing this anywhere.

pravda48
pravda48

This is very inky, smoky, dark. Embers? Most definitely, like someone threw something they shouldn't have into the fire and the chemicals burning off are in the air, in a very realistic way. In a forest. This fire is happening surrounded by pine trees and a very peppery smoky freshly cut then burned wooden scent.

It's hard to distinguish any rose here, but I think it's contributing a lot to the inkiness I associated with very concentrated rose extracts.

As Barrister said, it's a bit too bizarre to be wearable but, I'd wear it for myself around the house when I was craving a night by the fire out in the woods maybe. It does have a distinctly chemical (which I'm calling inky here) edge that may be quite offputting to others who aren't so fascinated by trying to figure out what they're smelling :P

lat
lat

Oh my Lord, this is DARK. This is innocent rose beauty put into iron shackles in the cold, moldy basement.
Someone who's very much into goth could probably pull it off for everyday use, but it does, as previously mentioned, embody deep and elegant sorrow. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust even the most fragrant rose will turn.
An amazing composition.

Tardigrada
Tardigrada

If I could scent the sorrow, that falls on the shoulders with blackest veil of velvet consolation melancholia, it would reek of a mouldy cellar of the deepest crypt. Only source of heat is smouldering ember, yet it's not warm and inviting, but one that will soon turn into ashes. The rose, almost faint and mute is all about to wither in this cold underground cell, only to become a part of thick dust and ash.

danieq
danieq

This opened sharply medicinal to my nose, like camphor. My hubs actually liked it. After a while,MIT developes into a very vegetal rose, a bit like FM Portrait of a Lady but edgier.

yvashche
yvashche

The whole HYLNDS range is fascinating to me. It feels like art done through perfume. Would I wear these to work? Maybe, in very small amounts. But there is a pure and distinct feeling through these perfumes: they capture the earth, air and water of the Scottish countryside. If you are looking for something that smells good, skip it. If you want something unique that carries a message, look no further.

Jay T
Jay T

DS & Durga Bitter Rose, Broken Spear est certainement unique, mais juste pas bon à mon avis. Oui, vous pouvez sentir de fumée et de fer et peut-être un peu de sang, mais il est difficile à porter et très fort...donc, il est un problème si vous regrettez votre décision.

BarristerNMann
BarristerNMann

I've never smelled any fragrance like Bitter Rose, Broken Spear.

It opens with an appalling blast of iron and metal, then pretty rapidly develops an immense rose note. Unfortunately, the marriage is a little too bizarre for this juice to actually be wearable. It's interesting as an olfactory oddity and even maybe as art, but the overall impression is one of "blood and flowers," which would likely offend anyone in close proximity. Perhaps pick up a sample if you're a collector, but otherwise, pass.

NotaBeauty
NotaBeauty

burnheavy thicksand. underbooze-ings. rose wobbles. ambered eons.

Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga 3.90 out of 5 based on 48 ratings and 16 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about D.S. & Durga Bitter Rose, Broken Spear fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about D.S. & Durga Bitter Rose, Broken Spear, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bitter Rose, Broken Spear by D.S. & Durga represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.