Designers » D E » Aromatic « Groups

Burning Barbershop D.S. & Durga for men

Burning Barbershop D.S. & Durga for men
dislike

A barbershop in Wastlake NY was burnt in 1891. All the tonics with their spearmint, lime, vanilla and lavender notes were ruined. A burned bottle was found and it smelled like this. It belongs to the Masculine Collection I Originals. Available as 20 ml EDP. Burning Barbershop was launched in 2010.

Lavender Vanille Lime Mint

The Voice of Reason
A City On Fire

Burning Barbershop Fragrance Reviews

DR521
DR521

To my nose this is a classic leather chypre with a nice smoky rubbery cade note, wearable equally by men and women. It's suprisingly light and pleasantly green and smoky. I do think it's a particularly sexy masculine for the right guy.

What I love about DS & Durga colognes is their extremely natural feel combined with a classic aesthetic. Burning Barbershop is simply a great cologne. It's natural in feel and easy to wear day or night. Maybe more fun in cool weather but heat brings out more of the citrusy and green feel of the leather.

(Their Sir is also a lovely resinous chypre, with nice development and a very pretty dry down. DS& Durga also designed Rodin Bis which is a projection bomb of a modern 'vintage' perfume that has an iris note but has no iris listed, reminiscent of Rouge Assassin by Jovoy.)

Highly recommended if you want a smart chypre with a great rubbery smoke.

UPDATE: 7/16/16
There is a great complexity to this fragrance, it doesn't wear the same way twice. The lavender-vanilla-spearmint is definitely present, and depending on the weather and skin chemistry it presents more floral, gourmand, or fruity facets as the heart of the fragrance. The smoke note stays throughout. My only criticism (barely that) is that there is a warm ambery synthetic wood that is barely evident for the main part of the fragrance but extends the dry down and ends up being left as the afterimage on clothing. Still, it's very cool and worth trying.

I like this!
Love the concept, name and the smell although challenging is nothing short of brilliant. Burning Barbershop is especially for those of us who are fans of Slumberhouse I'd say. The notes listed here make sense in a pinaud powder, barbershop sense and that in mind are perhaps just detectable, underneath a heap of smokey remains. I could hazard a guess as to what this smokey note is, the first review below say Cade, so lets go with that.
The opening of this fragrance was reminiscent of the recent Imaginary Authors A city on fire. This is because of the savoury quality of the smoke evoking a BBQ or something? Well, I got from Burning Barbershop, very specifically... Hot dog wieners.
Not sauages in the general terms or gourmet sage & onion stuffed ones...not even 'pork' in all likelihood...
but salty frankfurters.
This association passes thankfully and burning barbershop becomes an intensely smoked, woody scent with a hint of mint.
It's bonkers. Absolutely mad. The silage is insane at first but dies back to a relatively manageable hum.
I like it, I'd much rather Jeke or Norne If I was going this dark but still worth a sniff if you like a smokey, full on experience.
Lasts well.

steve0580
steve0580

Durga claims that "burning barbershop" is about a barbershop that burnt in 1891 and that the fragrance they've made smells like the remains of that fire. While it's an interesting story, the tale is apparently fictionalized.

When fragrance producers make certain historical claims, I will occasionally check them out. (For instance, the Kennedy reference and secret ingredient claimed by "Eight and Bob"). In my research, I can find no reference to a Curling brothers barbershop catching fire or even existing in NY in 1890 or 1891, outside of the Durga claim. Additionally, for them to claim that their fragrance smells like the aftermath of that fire would mean that they'd need need to have a sample of it to reproduce the scent, which would be quite difficult to have, if the place didn't exist.

Regardless of the tale, I'm a fan of the fragrance.

To me, it's a very nice lavender with a slightly smoky opening to offset the lavender for the life of the fragrance. To me, it's a "real" masculine lavender, as opposed to something like "Epiphany" by House of Matriarch, which claims to be a masculine lavender but it actually more like "glade air freshener" or feminine floral.

Another reviewer stated that it smelled like Pinaud powder, which I couldn't disagree with more. I'm a fan of Pinaud and I have both the fragrance and the powder, which I love but I just can't make the association between Pinaud powder and "burning barbershop".

In "burning barbershop", I smell no vanilla, spearmint or lime - it's lavender and smoke all the way. If I had to make a comparision to another fragrance, the closest comparision I'd be able to make is that it's close to MDCI's Invasion Barbare, except "heavier" and more smoky. A better reference may even be Prada's Amber Pour Homme Intense but with slightly less smoke.

I'd have no problem wearing this to the office, because the smoke fades to the background somewhat quickly but still, it's not something that you'd want to heavily apply

Bottom line: A nice lavender fragrance that opens with a bit of smoke but dries down to simply a nice lavender.

Yogamarc
Yogamarc

I couldn't get this off of me fast enough. I suppose it is what it is. They nailed it. If you like the smell of that Pinaud powder the barber uses to help brush off hair at the end of a cut, you may love this. I personally hate that smell and this fragrance nails it in spades with a burnt overtone. Yuk.

msmonochrome
msmonochrome

This fragrance reads like the correct answer to a question on a perfumery SAT test.

Smoky topnotes of Tauer's "Lonestar Memories"
+ the lavender/herbal middle section of Guerlain's "Jicky"
---------------------------
DS & Durga's "Burning Barbershop"

It is a delightfully clever idea for a scent, and I do enjoy both of the fragrances this reminds me of. That being said, I wish there was more of a transitional accord between the top notes' heavy smokiness, and the abrupt drop off into a classic aftershave.

Fun, but not an everyday wear/ full bottle worthy scent for me, as the whole is slightly less than the sum of its parts.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

These are the official notes from the D.S. & Durga website.
Top notes : spearmint,lime and hemlock spruce
Heart notes : lavender, absolute and Turkish rose
Base notes: burnt oil, vanilla and hay.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

Burning Barbershop is kind of a let down to my nose. It's truly an amazing concept for a fragrance, but I expected a bit more 'barbershop 'and quite a bit less 'burning'. It smells like a lime that was left in an old dirty charcoal grill for way too long. The smoky meatiness of the spit-roast char-note clashes with the slightly tangy, mildly acidic lime note. The Lavender is detectable and kind of blossoms out in the drydown, where it lends the mojo pork-butt vibe of the opening a slightly more wearable cologny air. It's not the worst fragrance ever, but it's either strong evidence that 1. a great concept does not necessarily make a great fragrance or 2. Some extremely challenging concepts should be left to only the most talented and technically proficient perfumers.Theres something rough around the edges to the DS and Durga scents that I've tried. Sometimes it comes across as a sort of rustic charm, but in this case it just smells not that well made. The smoky barbecue aspect of this is so one dimensional when compared to something like Sonoma's Fireside Intense. In that fragrance the smokiness is profoundly evocative, here it lacks the depth and comes across as some sort of masculine gimmickry. If you think the idea of Burning Barbershop sounds appealing, I highly recommend checking out Lush's Breath of God. It has more barbershop, a more balanced burn, and some other interesting incensey aspects that make it much more satisfying and wearable.

landshark321
landshark321

Burning Barbershop is a good follow up to Bowmakers, as the woody and leathery aspects are still there, but the spicy/herby notes are more dominant. Also pervasive is a smokiness that I can't really attribute to any particular note. Very acerbic opening with a more mellow, agreeable dry down. The vanilla is very subtle, even in the dry down, as the fragrance as a whole remains pretty bold throughout its lifespan.

It has strong projection and longevity, and is more of a cold weather option, for sure, but seems like it dresses up well at night as in the day. Much like Bowmakers, this is an option I might reach for again based on curiosity alone.

7 out of 10

KevinV
KevinV

I think of this as a much better behaved cousin to Tauer Lonestar Memories. Lots of that smokey incense but with a softening rose and lime throughout.

Br'eauDeCologne
Br'eauDeCologne

Smoky, incense-ish lavender woodiness with great longevity and average sillage. Uniquely comforting, especially after the drydown. I like it a lot though it is not something I'd wear to the office; it is certainly niche, and not a safe-for-all-noses kind of scent.

I also cannot personally imagine wearing this in warmer weather. The "dry heat" that is implied in the name of this fragrance is also something that occurs in fact.

Though I am not decided on taking the plunge for a whole bottle of this, I am glad I tried a sample.

Q80
Q80

humm.. creamy lavender, so calming.. like te cream that smells like lavender, apply it on your skin to feel the tenderness and sleep in a peaceful mood. i am testing this from a decant and i really wonder does it smell the same from the real original bottle! if so then it's def going to my collection.

picknenders
picknenders

I want to be a fan of DS & Durga - so bad - love the look and feel of the brand. This was my first purchase from the house - and it was a blind purchase - big mistake. This is so damn smoky - you've got to be a BIG fan of campfire smoke to enjoy this fragrance. On me, the smokiness is overwhelming - kills the lavender and mint notes. So disappointing.

Buysblind
Buysblind

After the initial 30 minutes, Burning Barbershop is a pleasure to wear. And if you like things on the more bizarre, challenging side, I suppose the first 30 minutes could be a pleasure as well.

I was a little worried when I first put this on. The opening is intense--smoky, mesquite-like wood that resembles barbecue meat, accompanied by the same mint I encountered in Breath of God, which reminds me of a tin of Wintergreen Skoal chewing tobacco. I find this combination nauseating. Luckily, everything mellows out after 20 minutes or so. The mint takes a back seat to a slightly powdery and very comforting vanilla-lavender accord, and the mesquite-like, barbecued quality of the smoke gives way to something much more palatable, along the lines of smoldering firewood or smoke from a chimney. The fragrance softens up as a whole and becomes enjoyable and easy on the nose. From here on in, it's great--an original twist on a classic accord that avoids the realm of novelty by toning things down to the right levels and in turn making it completely wearable. The smoke casts an assured haze but doesn't intrude. The vanilla and lavender sit below the smoke, never becoming too obvious or dominant in their roles. And every once in a while a little mint pops up, this time more in tune with the barbershop than the chewing tobacco of the initial 20 minutes.

A bit of an oddball, but the combination actually feels quite natural and I don't own anything else like it. If Bois d'Ascese and Caron Pour Un Homme had a lovechild, he might be called "Burning Barbershop." Projection is good and so is the longevity. This one's not for everybody, but fans of more experimental outfits and and anyone that likes the idea of a little lavender with their smoke should certainly check it out.

Thumbs up and 3.5 stars out of 5 for this offering from D.S. and Durga.

karol.buks
karol.buks

This one captured me yesterday and I want to be its slave for the rest of my days. A MASTERPIECE!

TonyPablo
TonyPablo

Kind of like a burnt key lime pie. Wish the shaving cream & lime scents were stronger.

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

I like this one. Can't wear it everywhere. Vanilla, cedar, cade, mint, lime, bergamot, some woods and ylang/rose/violet. Cade, or Juniper Tar, smells like burnt wood which is especially good for creating Lapsang tea scents. If you like the smokiness of burnt wood give this a shot. Once the burnt scent fades you've got a light oriental wood with vanilla.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Burning Barbershop by D.S. & Durga represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.