Designers » D E » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Isle Ryder D.S. & Durga for women and men

Isle Ryder D.S. & Durga for women and men

“To the Blessed Isles, past the Manx seaman’s myst and thundering valour, past Balor’s blackened bulrush, the Summer Raider in ashwood shyp, his northern woods, saps, cones, honeyed mead, wax, golden gorse, meadowsweet, to inner loch, of inner isle, always ryding west.”

poplar bud, fir cones, meadowsweet
golden gorse, jasmine, norway spruce
mead, woodruff, bulrush straws

Isle Ryder was launched in 2013.

Poplar (Populus) buds Fir Wildflowers

Jasmine Spruce Dyer’s Greenweed

Bulrush Honey

Ginestra (Broom)

Isle Ryder Fragrance Reviews

first and foremost, this one is NOT for me.

it's mostly jasmine, sans indole / cloying sweetness with earthy, funky, savoury somethings. hard to discern just WHAT it is (without looking at the ingredient list), but it reminds me of something from the early nineties. i need to analyse just what THAT is, but that's beside the point.

not girly or femme, not mainstream / celeb, it's like NOTHING i've ever smelt before in a 'fume. must (to) try.

Vetiver! Not sure why I get so much vetiver in this - perhaps the "dyer's greenweed" (usually called gorse or broom)? Also I live in a part of the US that is covered in invasive scotch broom, a terrible, ugly weed with no odor, and I never would have imagined this scent and that plant together, but that's the magic of perfumery.

And speaking of that disconnect, here was so much jasmine up front that I couldn't make right by the Highland imagery and the scent for the first 10-15 minutes. It was an interesting but unremarkable jasmine - certainly not worth the high price - that transformed, over the next half hour, into this odd, green, salty thing. Think: peat bog near the coast.

Very low silage when applied with a sample wand. Might grow if sprayed onto the skin and clothes. Moderate longevity, but it is no marathon perfume, as it seems nothing D.S. & Durga makes is. This is a hugs-only perfume.

AT first spray it was a little too strong and old lady type. Next day I found it softer and I really enjoy honey smell in it. Now I find it interesting and soft, close to the skin. Longevity and sillage is moderate. This is close to skin scent. Wouldn't mind to have it in my little collection :)

Deadidol puts it well when he says that he wants to like the Durga line.

The florals within Isle Of Ryder waft so awfully close to memories of Grandmother's perfume.

More suited as a feminine scent.

Longevity on the low side

Sillage sits close to the skin.

The initial blast of Florals are slightly cloying for the first 10 minutes. They settle down after that.

DS & Durga is a line that I *want* to like much more than they’ll let me. Their distribution is limited; no samples are available; and the stores that I’ve visited that stock the line have been beyond lousy in their presentation (empty and/or broken bottles; large parts of the collection missing entirely). What I’ve smelled, I’ve only smelled in passing, and so one of these days, I’ll hopefully spend more time with them, but what I’ve tried so far hasn’t grabbed me.

But Isle Ryder is different.

It aligns with the rustic / natural aesthetic that the line seems to rely upon with a bitter jasmine taking center stage. This jasmine is surrounded by a series of wild grass and fern-esque green notes, placed over a somewhat oily base that seems to be structured upon a subtly earthy beeswax. Despite being a fairly busy composition, the scent smells very much like a natural environment, and the overall effect is a fascinating take on jasmine. It’s much more bitter than most jasmine fragrances, running even slightly sour, but this bitterness works surprisingly well here. Although I tend not to subscribe to fragrances for certain seasons, Isle Ryder conjures up the image of Spring while offering a fresh, crisp take on the white floral genre. Surprisingly distinct and well-crafted, it provides a compelling green twist to an overplayed primary note.

I find this to be nothing special. Longevity on my skin is only a few hours. The scent is very average for me personally. I find it has a fairly heavy musk base with a hint of the evergreen. I'm a lover of honey, but I don't get the slightest hint of it in this fragrance. Interesting the difference in noses! I've grown picky and if a scent is going to get my $$, it needs to stand out, this one doesn't merit the price. It's pleasant, certainly, but nothing to shout about. Sample first.

Isle Ryder is a very 'visual' fragrance for me. I sometimes get annoyed by promotional copy from fragrance manufacturers that sound more like a J Peterman catalogue than they do a description of the frangrance, but in this case, the rather poetic picture painted by D.S. & Durga captures its essence beautifully.

This fragrance is all about the ancient British Isles: gorse, hay, herbs, honey, treesap, and dampness. I get an unmistakable tea note as well, although it's not listed; perhaps it reminds me of an herbal tea, but there is a definite leafiness there. The gorse and the honey are the dominant notes for me, but the effect is more honeyed tea than it is Miel de Bois, so if the latter is a disaster on your skin, you should not be at all scared to try Isle Ryder.

Although the word 'unique' is overused in the fragrance world, Isle Ryder is truly different from just about everything I've ever tried. For me, the one similar 'vibe' I connect to a previously tried scent is the dominant gorse note, which, because it is closely related to broom, reminds me a good bit of Santa Maria Novella's Ginestra; however, the addition of the honey note to Isle Ryder makes it a distinct fragrance from Ginestra. I love the hay and dried wildflower aspect to this scent; it is soft and gentle, like a beautifully designed natural wreath. The damp and slightly mossy aspect really ties together the whole fragrance, and gives it the unmistakable feel of its name. You can truly picture a rider on horseback, thundering across the wild meadows of the Isle of Manx, or the Hebrides, in pre-Roman Britain.

Longevity is excellent (easily 8-10 hours) with moderate sillage. This smells amazing on men and women. A truly special and seasonless fragrance.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about D.S. & Durga Isle Ryder fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about D.S. & Durga Isle Ryder, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Isle Ryder by D.S. & Durga represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.