Designers » D E » Aromatic Aquatic « Groups

Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake D.S. & Durga for women and men

Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake D.S. & Durga for women and men
dislike

herbal

“Up pale grey mountain, through silver fog, bracken, bramble, dry heather shrub, past gravestone pile from forgotten time, facing west in whipping wind, the small black lake keeps witch’s ring, where the doomed king looked out to sea, Fenian blood in turf, the chilling quiet, the cry of hounds.”

fog-on-stone, water pepper, lichen
heather shrub, beechwood, bramble
flower, marsh violet
coastal air, chilled water, purslane

Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake was launched in 2013.

Oakmoss Water Notes

heather Water pepper Violet Blackberry Beech

Water Notes Portulaca or Pigweed

Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake Fragrance Reviews

aschiffm
aschiffm

this is a beautiful modern yet ancient cosmic feel scent that i believe works best on a man. it feels like it has a story behind it and it;s super sexy in a subtle way. it's very pleasant, calm and mysterious. it's cool but has warmth.

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

Salty and slightly herbal oakmoss. When I first tried my sample on my skin, I thought I had become nose-blind because I couldn't smell it at all after the first hour. Turns out it just has really poor longevity and low sillage, which I find inexcusable at this price point. Not one of the better HYLNDS fragrances, really - both in performance and in formulation.

modernfumie
modernfumie

Interesting, but not especially wearable to me. I can see appreciating this fragrance as art rather than cosmetic. The oak moss and 'aquatics' are effective at conjuring a cold alpine lake. Definitely more traditionally masculine. It also smells quite clean, if that's your thing.

I don't love it, but neither do I mind having a sample around.

Readysniffer1
Readysniffer1

I feel like this needs to be worn outdoors, with cold crisp air circulating the scent around you. Wear it when you want to feel strong, and inspired.

In the opening this is very herbal, very smoky, very natural. Lightly floral, & somewhat masculine. The dry down is pretty, but the real beauty is in the middle. So evocative, but it may not evoke the same feeling or memories in everyone. It reminds me of the feeling of being alone, but in a good way.

lilalina
lilalina

Not what i expected, i thought this would be light and aquatic, instead it's smoky, very balmy.. peppery, and a very strong waxy or oily smell like gasoline, paint or pine, like the wax from a tree.. Strong Woody-scent.

42gr
42gr

Interesting. Nice scent.

Slightly sweet

Soft

Poor longevity ( 1/2 hour)

Low sillage ( sits close to the skin)

pioggia-secca
pioggia-secca

This one is interesting. I had higher hopes on it than what it has delivered, but it's still a pretty good smell, to my taste.
It's cold, "stony" indeed, and also peppery, and watery, yet saturated, and it's hard to distinguish particular ingredients (at least for me, not being a perfume expert).
All in all I guess it quite reflects the short poetic description given here, and on the web-site, and on the box.
To my taste it's more masculine, than feminine (it's stated to be unisex), so I won't be wearing it as much as I hoped, but there are certainly seasons (late autumn) when it's just perfect.

thiefofnoses
thiefofnoses

I love the description of Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake even though it may come across as hipsterish/wankerish to some despite its austerity. I bought a small decant for testing and have to say that when sniffed from the bottle, it smells remarkably similar to a hair cream my father used when I was a kid (all I can remember is that it was in a clear glass bottle and it had a green lid - and no it wasn't Brylcreem)

The opening of Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake is a toned-down, easier-to-like version of Narciso Rodriguez For Him with an additional peppery note. It still has that earthy stone note going on, but lightened considerably with an aquatic note that is probably the best I've experienced in a fragrance. As it transitions to the mid notes some of that 'Dad's hair cream' accord returns, but much softer: a very barbershop 1950/1960s sort of feel. Unlike Selina420's review below I find this unapologetically masculine. I could imagine Don Draper in Mad Men wearing this. That peppery note is still there in the mid notes but it comes and goes. I find it softly astringent at times, but never biting. I have no idea what marsh violet, bramble flower, heather shrub or purslane smell like so I can't really comment on those notes.

Unfortunately the fragrance turns into a generic woody scent coming apart at the seams in the base notes, but the top and mid notes are strong enough to make up for that. Longevity is poor to middling while sillage is subtle but present.

I might even love Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake. My main concern is the price - $180 for 50ml - which I find ridiculously expensive given the poor longevity (yes, yes, I know this section is for reviews of the fragrance itself, but the price is a factor in whether I will decide to purchase a full bottle) Not sure if only the HYLNDS line costs this much but if the price came down significantly this would be an extremely strong contender for regular wearing.

(I like the elegant simplicity of the bottle)

Selina420
Selina420

This scent is poetry. Just bloody beautiful. Elegant and one of a kind, It evokes an immediate mental picture, its name and accompanying text describing it perfectly.

I get an immediate hit of heather, thistles and violets, earthy, cold damp ozonic air. It paints an image of remote wild moorlands. I am immediately transported to a bleakly beautiful view of a mountain with mist, bracken and dark lake.

I wear it when i feel in need of armour, to channel its remoteness, when i want something ethereal. And yet i also find it extremely wearable. It feels chilly yet warmly envelops at the same time.

Moderate sillage, and only lasts on me for about 4 hrs, but many perfumes don't last long on my skin, so i'd imagine greater longevity for others. A completely unisex scent - that molds itself around its host and therefore presents as very masculine or feminine, dependent on wearer. Frankly i want all of this line - they're all spectacular, but this is my favourite -currently!

janjanjan
janjanjan

This is Creed's Royal Water, done properly. (And by properly, I mean it doesn't turn into a soggy weak mess in the first 30 minutes). Bitter citrus top, aquatic and herby. Astringent. I was expecting to hit a hard place but it stays in the mists.

Also fun to get hints of purslane (pigweed) in a fragrance. I chew on this in my backyard.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about D.S. & Durga Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about D.S. & Durga Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake by D.S. & Durga represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.