Designers » D E » Oriental Spicy « Groups

December DSH Perfumes for women and men

December DSH Perfumes for women and men
dislike

December is a festive new fragrance for 2010 that evokes the best, most pleasant and most beautiful smells of the winter season, such as pomanders, gingerbread, long walks in pine forests, traditional incense…December contains notes of cloves, galbanum, ginger, spices, sweet orange, fir resin, Bulgarian rose, pine needles, cones, cedar, olibanum, myrrh, tolu balm, vanilla and moss.

December is available as a limited edition fragrance for the winter 2010/11 as 30 EDP and perfume in a bottle of 5 ml.

The nose behind this fragrance is Dawn Spencer Hurwitz.

Clove Ginger Spices Galbanum Orange

Rose Pine Fir Resin

oak moss Virginia Cedar Incense Tolu Balsam Tonka Bean Vanille Olibanum Myrhh

Eau Pear Tingle

December Fragrance Reviews

nastyamason
nastyamason

I bought a bottle of EDP blind, based on notes and reviews. It does smell Christmassy with dominating spices. However, I was disappointed that it is skin scent that is barely there. The longevity is poor too. 30 ml EDP is the biggest bottle available and it is not cheap, so I expected better quality. I also got 3 samples with my order and, while I like the scents, the sillage and longevity are disappointing as well. None are full bottle worthy for me and, to be honest, I regret the purchase.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I think it would be more aptly named "Christmas" rather than "December." It smells like the living room with a Christmas tree all lit up, wood burning in the fireplace, and spice-scented candles burning. The scent is quite literal. Too literal for me, I'm afraid, as I would not want to smell like Christmas Day on Christmas Day nor any other day of the year. Still a lovely, well-balanced scent that I would highly recommend if wearing the exact scent of Christmas is "your thing".

December is a *perfect* name for this perfume--at least for Americans! It evokes memories of everything for which December is famous: fir trees, baking spices, candles, frankincense and myrrh, dried fruits... basically it's all here! Christmastime in a frosty clime!

The fir tree is dominant but everything else mingles with it so harmonically--in some ways difficult to believe, and yet this composition smells splendid! I noticed that my good friend GypsyParfumista loves this perfume, too, and it also reminds him of childhood.

I grew up in Colorado (where DSH is based, by the way), and this creation beautifully captures the spirit of Yuletide carols, even eliciting images of the houses where I lived, and my family gathered around the tree to open presents on Christmas eve! My dad always brewed up a batch of hot spiced wine. Ah, sweet memories...

Bklynlatinlady
Bklynlatinlady

This smells great, initial scent was a smack of winter/holidays. I had loved it but then the cloves hit and it overtook everything so it reminded me too much of a spicy tea fragrance I have with cinnamon and cloves. So it's not getting a buy. if it had less cloves it would've been a purchase.

Every once in a while, you come across some perfume that not only makes you adore it...but "echoes" across many levels for you. December is one of "those" for me. I am a big fan of natural perfumes (in general) but I must say, here, that Dawn Spencer Hurwitz is a true olfactive genius. The way she seamlessly blends a myriad of natural accords and ingredients is nothing short of true alchemy (turning a "base" metal *like lead* into TRUE GOLD).

*All lyrics "quoted" below are from the Edie Brickell & New Bohemians song AIR OF DECEMBER, and copyrighted*

First sniff impression: Christmas in a bottle! NOT just pine, spices and incense resins (myrrh and frankincense) but the weather, the loving "feeling" and the whole "warmth" and festivity of it all. Pine, fir and sticky resins carried on a crisp cold wind greet the nose on first application. "...I remember YOU put a chill across my face-like the air of December...". Like coming into a warm bustling home after a snowy evening of cutting your own Christmas tree in the forest to a warm burning wood fire and spices floating through the air from cooking mulled cider and the laughter of small children, December is a true delight. Warm citrus, fresh spices and a deep green pervade throughout this perfume. Despite the number of notes listed in this lovely potion, it is not overpowering or too much. Hints of warm sweetness (tonka, vanilla, etc.) remind me of Christmas cookies baking and mesh with the overall theme to create something truly yummy, but not at all gourmand. Rose, not readily detectable, lends a feeling of love and tenderness to what would otherwise be a rather sharp and spicy scent. Wisps of incense smoke and woody sweet balms remind me of the choo-choo train incense burner my dad would set out every year and laugh with much mirth (like he was seeing it for the first time, like a little kid) as the smoldering cone sent little puffs of smoke out the top. A very dry cedar and just a sprig of oak moss are delightful, like mistletoe or holly. "...the tree limbs crackled and sunshine climbs up the sky..." If Thomas Kincaid paintings could have an aroma...THIS would be it!! December warms the heart, delights the nose and is (in my opinion) the perfect holiday scent. It opens rather full and grand, then stays closer to my skin and is more of a personal pleasure. "...your breeze moved the curtains and lifted my perfume into the air..." All in all, from the cool, yet spicy beginning to the piney green soft heart to the warm, yet smoky, elegant finish; this is something that (above and beyond the commercial trappings of the modern day) what the "Season" means to me. Like a perfumed hug from a much missed and loved relative, Dawn has given us something more than the glitz and glamour of the season-she has given us something timeless and eternal; taking things from and of Nature and crafting them (with her hands AND her heart) into a gift that means so much more than a mass-produced one...something lovingly created, personal and charming.

Sillage: good then closer
Longevity: quite good
Overall: 4.5/5

As I get older, I often balk at the whole "Christmas" thing. Do not get me wrong now, I LOVE the Yule log and presents and a big meal and seeing family from far away and a big warm mug of egg nog; but for the most part, commercialism has "killed" what joy there was (for me) in the season. DSH Perfumes has (in one sniff) made me feel like a kid again and this year I am actually looking forward to Christmas again. Under all the shiny paper, tinsel and plastic ornaments there is a feeling of love, warmth and peace.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, FRAGRANTICA!!!!

December by DSH Perfumes 4.06 out of 5 based on 21 ratings and 5 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about DSH Perfumes December fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about DSH Perfumes December, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify December by DSH Perfumes. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of December by DSH Perfumes represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.