Designers » D E » Aromatic Fougere « Groups

Canoe for Men Dana for men
dislike

Canoe for Men Dana for men Videos
Canoe for Men Dana for men Pictures Canoe for Men Dana for men Pictures

Canoe for Men by Dana is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men. Canoe for Men was launched in 1936. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Carles. Top notes are lavender, clary sage and lemon; middle notes are carnation, patchouli, bourbon geranium, cedar and cloves; base notes are tonka bean, vanilla, oakmoss, heliotrope and musk.

Lavender Clary Sage Lemon

Touch for Men

Canoe for Men Fragrance Reviews

steve0580
steve0580

The bottle that Fragrantica shows for this fragrance may have been released in 1996 but the fragrance was actually released in 1932, according to one reviewer.

My interest in Canoe came from my interest in vintage fragrances. I'm a fan of Clubman Pinaud and a variety of aftershaves in that vein, so naturally, Canoe was right up my alley.

I'll start by saying that I have no experience with the 1990s version of canoe, the bottle I have is a bottle of Canoe after shave which appeared to be, as best as I can guess, from the 60s. As someone pointed out to me, dating Canoe is difficult, because the style didn't really change over several decades.

There's not much I can add that hasn't already been said but in a nutshell, it opens very similar to the classic Pinaud Clubman but dries down much closer to Pinaud Special Vanilla with a lesser strength vanilla note.

The after shave becomes a skin scent almost immediately and fades quickly thereafter. If you were to imagine a lesser strength 4711, you'd have an idea of the longevity problem that I'm trying to convey. Again, this is a 40+ year old vintage bottle of after shave I'm reviewing, so that report may not be as accurate as other vintage or newer bottles.

*** Update ***

I received my bottle of Canoe Eau de Cologne and I have to say that I'm impressed. This bottle also appears to be from the 60s or as late as possibly the early 70s, however, the fragrance is just wonderful. It's considerably stronger than the after shave but still remains close to the skin.

With the EdC, as with the after shave, it opens smelling very similar to the original Clubman Pinaud and drying down more like the Pinaud Special Vanilla.

Sadly, longevity is lacking and the scent is gone in four hours or less. Again, this is with an early vintage bottle, so the later reformulation may be better.

KJS88
KJS88

Canoe for me is the epitome of the fragrance term "fougere"--a juxtaposition of a fresh citrus-herbaceous accord on a warm, sensual ambery-woody-musk accord that produces a seamless composition which as a sum, is greater than any of its parts ever could be. Its warm, friendly, inviting, and very versatile. I'm familiar with both modern and vintage formulations. The vintage, while richer, is more angular and is actually not as long lasting. The modern formulation is more synthetic, probably heavier on the vanilla, but longer lasting and sunnier.

Ladies, try Inoxa's "Gingham" for something similar, but more feminine. Its not unlike "Ambush", with the same "vintage barbershop fougere" opening featured in that fragrance, Canoe, and Royal Bain de Caron, but dries down with more vanilla and amber.

celebrity89
celebrity89

Male version of vintage Ambush. I really want this in a Christmas set with body lotion, I've always considered the bottle and logo incredibly attractive. The scent to me is very vintage sweet, sort of sentimental from my childhood. This is something I would drench myself with and only use at home or at bedtime. I'm convinced I will love Pinaud Clubman from all the positive comparisons.

Update: I now have Canoe and Pinaud Clubman and find that the latter actually smells closer to Ambush.

graysbeardcare
graysbeardcare

If your like me you use this site to hear reviews before you purchase colognes so here's my impression.
It's very floral and there's are some Masculine notes of Vanilla and Oakmoss but what really makes this 1 different it has a combination smell pattern
Like imagine a pattern of Floral,lemon,oakmoss and vanilla in a repeat combination.
Put some on before work lasted about 3hrs in Splash form
Really its the Lavender and Clary sage that deserve the credit because that are the back bone of the scent
1 of my Fav. All time aftershaves is Clubman Vanilla
It host almost the same combo of lavender,sage,oakmoss and vanilla,so I decided after a few months of reviews commercials and Clubman lol I figured I'd try it.Best thing ever

sophywt
sophywt

A few months ago, I bought a bottle of Canoe aftershave (current version), purely due to its low price. I didn't trust the current version or its maker DANA - This DANA spoiled my beloved Monsieur Musk.

Well, this new version aftershave turned out a good one, much better than my expectation. I compare this aftershave version to a vintage cologn version, and I think I like the current one better. The vintage one lacks the cleaness, it's a bit muddled. while this aftershave has a soft crystal-like feeling. A light, clean, and uplifting scent.

I admit that at first I tried very hard to find its faults, yes, a little bit chemical sometimes(because the vanilla notes), very linear(I tend to prefer complex ones)... but finally, I find I often come back to Canoe when I ask myself what I should wear every morning. I think hard why I often make desicion that wear Canoe:

1. It's a clean, friendly scent. I don't need to worry my scent offend other people on the bus, in the same office...
2. It's not strong scent, won't distract myself. I feel completely relax when I wear Canoe, so it suits lots occassions, at work, outing, etc.
3. I like its vanila side very much, it did smell a little chemical, but acceptable anyway.

funnyboy
funnyboy

Thought I'd try this fragrance again after many years, about 30!
Bought the edt spray even though the label says Splash!
I wasn't expecting much and for the first 10 minutes smelled chemically and sharp alcohol. Then the fragrance evolved. I would say it isn't too much different to the old formula. I would definitely say fougere with vanilla and unusual because I cant compare it to anything. Yes, it is old fashioned but I couldn't stop smelling myself yesterday evening and wondering why I haven't bought this for so long.
It is inoffensive but noticeable and for those who say it isn't long lasting I applied at 6pm yesterday and could still smell on waking at 7.30 this morning.
I loved it so much I wore to work this morning but not too many sprays. I would say 6 is enough.
Price wise an absolute bargain.
I am going to buy a back up today as will wear it casually as much as possible.
Just to mention my skin usually eats fragrance and rarely do I get much lasting power or projection.
Rating 9 out of 10 for smell,
10 out of 10 for price,
6 out of 10 for projection..
Thumbs up from me!!

krmarich
krmarich

I have an unusual mini from the early 1960s and does this define early barbershop fragrances! It is quite lavish in its presentation and holds little back. Its more urban and French than Old Spice of the same era.

I immediately get oakmoss and iris mingled with discreet flowers, a bit of leather and musk. I would have to say its a chypre. I get no coumarone here. Indeed its more unisex and can easily be worn by a woman. Its more refined than other men's offerings of the day. Dana really dominated the scene of the 1960s. This formula has long since vanished and regrettably will never return.

Osmo
Osmo

i got a 15 ml sample probably not the vintage stuff; the openning reminds me a lot of Caron's champagne or fragrances like colognia assoluta (ADP), virgin island water by Creed and stuff which all have that 'old-time-feel' factor in a case is not really pleasant for me; after the openning the projection brings me in mind scents like brut and the general feel tends to be dated! another cult figure probably? Not a bad scent though i guess, pretty historical and loving its name also!

Mooncatt

I may be Weird, but I liked the Canoe I smelt in the seventies, and also the current formula, and I'm female.

BetsyMeszaros
BetsyMeszaros

Well, I remember all the guys wearing this in high school in 1963. It was first developed many decades before that. Probably in the 1930's or 1940's. That's why I'm really puzzled by the date of 1996 in the description. Was it re-introduced or reformulated in 1996? If so shouldn't there be an entry in the fragrance directory for Classic Canoe and one for the current version? Was the 1996 a typo? Very mysterious.

Loved it on the guys in 1963 Although rumor has it that Canoe smelled just llike Tabu -- but that was a high school rumor (LOL). Not sure I could recommend it in todays world but nice to know it is still around.

I recently bought myself a vintage bottle of My Sin for old times sake. Now I think I'll go in search of vintage Tabu just to have it.

MrStinky
MrStinky

I agree with the comment likening it to Pinaud Clubman aftershave.

It's a soft, clean, pleasant, well groomed scent. Great for the office and everyday wear. Nothing in your face or offensive about it.

I like it very much. I don't think you'll regret putting it in your line up.

Alfareandhi
Alfareandhi

All Hail to the hall of famers 1997
for me Canoe it's little bit like Chanel Antaeus but less stronger
I just got it for $12 and I will keep it forever in my wardrobe.

from opening I can smells citrus scent with some lavender, after 10 minutes Canoe turns to soapy scent with Carnation, Clary sage, Cloves, and Tonka bean it's makes me take a long breath and bring back my memories from 90's.

Sillage: 7/10

I have only tried a vintage formulation. There is no major fougere accord here and the lavender has a light/herbal quality. The vanilla is clear but this is not a sweet, gourmand scent. Instead, while it's just a little powdery, I think of it as a light herbal/vanilla. Don't expect strong spice or wood notes. It's natural smelling and has at least decent projection ("sillage") but the longevity may be a bit light for most people. I'm surprised that this one is somewhat unique, unlike its skunky older kin but also clearly distinct from recent ones like Rochas Man. I'd certainly describe Canoe as comfortable, and classify it as "casual." It may be that if I had applied more some of the other notes would be more obvious, and it may even become a powdery scent, so if that happens I'll update this review. Note that for all I know the most recent formulation is awful.

jht4060
jht4060

Canoe is a simple and very pleasant citrus, lavender, and vanilla scent that is worth having just for the history, not to mention it smells great. It was first released in 1932 around the nadir of the Great Depression; I think of it as a sweet gentle happy scent intended to comfort a glum world. The lavender top is very soft and warm, enriched by a touch of lemony citrus, then it changes gradually to a mildly sweet synthetic vanilla-tonka base. I have the current (2013) formulation and by description it is similar to the original.

By the way, by synthetic I mean that it smells like vanillin and coumarin, which are the main scent components of vanilla and tonka - it doesn't smell funny or "chemically" (whatever that means since nearly every chemical smells different) in any way. It smells like strong essence of vanilla/tonka but without the complexity associated with the natural extracts. Coumarin was first synthesized in 1868. Vanillin was first synthesized in 1874 (and it is an aromatic aldehyde - contemplate that the next time you describe a scent as "aldehydic", which really means a particular class of long chain aldehydes that have a harsh waxy scent). Together, they started the road to synthetic perfumes. Natural vanilla absolute is very expensive and natural tonka bean absolute is even more expensive; both synthetics eventually became dirt cheap and they both smell fabulous. Their synthesis contributed to the rise of inexpensive "everyman" perfumes (male and female), with Canoe being one of the first.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

First cousin to Avon Wild County, second cousin to Stetson.

A soft, powdery, barbershoppy vanilla scent. It doesn't last long at all and stays close to the skin. It smells... cheap.

It's funny... thirty years ago or so I thought this stuff was desirable. How far I've come. Well... at least you get the nice Art Deco label and bottle.

Bcard3170
Bcard3170

This is the first cologne that I ever owned. I have a soft spot for this one. The scent isn't bad, it just smells like a powdery aftershave. I gave it to my 10yr old nephew, he loves it.

mvhooper2
mvhooper2

smells like a much better pinaud clubman aftershave. like note for note with the inclusion of more vanilla, and a bit more sweetness.

alarios
alarios

I bought Canoe for my dad and I smelled it for the first time a few days ago. Eh...it smells like a cheapy aftershave to be honest. I wouldn't use it but it means a lot to my dad. It brings back a lot of memories for him, which is cool. I can appreciate that.

fragrance_fan
fragrance_fan

Now I don't know what the guy who made this was thinking but holy cow he should be given an all time greatness award. I've got a pretty good beard these days but I remember this stuff many years back when I still had a really good spring in my step and a shaving razor in my hand. I used to spalsh this sucker all over my face after a good shave and feel like I was going to float away.
I remember always pouring more then i needed into my hand knowing that I would have to rub the extra on the rest of my body. I was quite the looker back in the day and the ladies would hug me extra long when I wore this magical elixir.
It was like taking the vanilla my mom used for baking and adding fifteen Emiril dashes of fresh. BAM!!! BAM!!! BAM!!! to the lemon cookie recipe. "easy on cinnamon Mom!" I always used to say. Now I wonder why she ever put cinnamon in the lemon cookies to begin with! Ah, what can you do? We were a strange bunch.

BennyVega
BennyVega

I you want that classic masculine "barbershop" scent, Canoe has it. It's very similar to Pinaud Clubman but without the overwhelming, gagging sweetness. It's a great daytime scent, but it seems to fade pretty fast. Definitely a classic to add to your collection.

caca102
caca102

Barbershop talc is exactly what I was thinking about as the fragrance dries down on my skin. I am a girl and I like to experiment with man's fragrances once in a while. This is definitely manly in a traditional way. Simple, masculine, strong but not overwhelming. Reminds me of James Bond :)

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Canoe is a nice vanilla-ambery fougere with a prominent coumarin/lavender/tonka accord comprising most of its structure. I feel it's a cross between Pinaud's original Clubman aftershave-lotion, and Brut, but with the power of both scaled way back. There's also a hint of dirty orange blossom on top, and a load of pure barbershop talc in the powdery drydown. I get about four hours out of it. Certainly classic, now in a simple barbershop manner, and by no means exciting or daring. Wear this when you're with a salt-of-the-earth woman who finds strong, silent types sexy (i.e., you).

jozemo
jozemo

a skin tonic with classic scent,one my first cologne purchases as a young man.

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

I'm a 23 year old girl and I've begun to try all of the classics, as well as men's fragrances.
My skin just tuckers most scents out before they have a chance but with Canoe, I just don't want it to last.

On my skin, it smells a lot like anti-bacterial hand gel. There is a sharp, powdery and bitter note on dry down. Sadly, very little ceder. I can't stomach it. I'm sorry.

At first, there is a very tiny sweet smell. Perhaps, vanilla with an aqueous note but that quickly disperses.

Sillage: Soft.
Longevity: Weak.

It's more of a winter scent, to me. I kind of hate it but I'm sure that other people can dig it.
I wonder if they have reformulated it...

Mooncatt

I'm female, and I love the way this smells. Patchouli is a friend of mine.
I'd read that it smells very similar to original Ambush, and it does.

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I wore it in Jr high. I liked it it was a classic even back then. But carrying the price that it does to day. Only kills its appeal to the new and younger crowd.

If it does not cost and arm and a leg, it cant smell all that good.

I do not know why the information above, states that Conoe was launched in 1996? It was first launched in 1932. So it has been around for a long time :)

sanicojo
sanicojo

Canoe, Brut, Rive Gauche, Pinaud's Clubman, Aqua Velva, Skin Brazer y English Leather son verdaderas fragancias de Barberia. Bueno esto es para los que no tenemos prejuicios con la edad y gustos, porque para eso se hicieron los perfumes para disfrutarlos, busca tu fragancia y usala sin temor alguno.

SuperUltraFabulous
SuperUltraFabulous

I will have to agree with a previous poster that Canoe has changed. The bottle I got was a new EDT in a splash top. I applied this sparingly to my forearms and soon there after had a nifty rash.

The fragrance is now heavy-handed and is not as well constructed as I remember. I detect a “petroleum” note too which was not there in the 80s.

I will buy an vintage bottle on ebay.

Nevertheless, a fabulous classic, but do test on your skin to make sure you do not get any reactions with this old standby from Dana.

jcastano
jcastano

Even though this was created in the 1930's, it doesn't smell as outdated as one would imagine. Granted there are many fragrances out there today that were crafted 20-50+ years after Canoe that have a very outdated feel to them but somehow Canoe maintains a very modern appeal about it. I admit that I'm a sucker for barbershop scents and Canoe is right in that realm. It's a combination of light florals (mainly consisting of a soft lavender and carnation), a dash of vanilla, and velvety woods. There's nothing overwhelming about it and just smells light, fresh, and clean. If you've ever been to the barbershop, the last thing the barber does before he's done is lightly brush you with talcum powder. That's exactly what this smells like. The "fresh out of the barbershop" feel. One downside is that it doesn't seem to last too long (about 4 hours) but what can you expect from an EDC. Besides, a 3.4 oz bottle runs you around $10-$12 at most, which is a great bargain. It's great for any age and believe it or not, even young women take notice to it.

There is also an EDT version, which I also own, that is much more potent than the edc and can easily get cloying. It's a bit too thick of a scent at times and seems to work better in cooler weather, as oppose to the edc which can be worn year round. The florals in the edt are amped up and overall the edt just seems a bit rougher around the edges. Sure longevity is great but it's not as beautifully crafted as the edc, but regardless, both are two great fragrances! I do recommend the EDC over the EDT however. It's good stuff!

williamvargas
williamvargas

i think it smells great, i have some much more dignified brands in my collection, but i will tell you sometimes you like a crisp slap in the face after shaving fragrance splash..and i always get a compliment. it is so inexpensive so it is not a big deal if you have to reapply once in awhile.
i bought a big bottle of it , put some in atomizer that i keep at work, it just smells great putting this on.. i have clubman ,which my grandson loves that , makes me laugh.. i turned him on to this and now it is hey pop, do you have any more canoe..seems he as a new little girlfriend and she really likes it..lol..i can see the club man comparison. but slapping this stuff on after a good close shave is heaven..try the atomizer trick for a few sprays a little later on when you feel the scent start to fade...wonderful , timeless good smell.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Cisco, yes you are right, Canoe has been around for a long time - my grandfather wore it. I know it's been re-configured a few times over the years, but I'm always surprised at what a pleasant fougere this is.

Canoe has a freshness to it that's not super-sophisticated, but has a nice barber-shop vibe. It's a greener version of Old Spice. The only note that I'm not terribly fond of is the vanilla, which becomes apparent around the heart/dry-down.

Canoe is a nice warm-weather scent if you plan to be outdoors - it wears well and fades to a pleasant echo within a few hours. I've noticed that women really do like the scent a lot, even if it is rather old school and inexpensive. I recommend it for those who like vintage scents. If you can get a bottle of an earlier formulation, it will probably smell particularly nice.

missan
missan

Considering they are practically giving it away it´s not that bad. I don´t really like it but I don´t dislike it either, it is a little strange cologne.
Update: I have come to like this more and more. After using it now and then I now really like wearing it, quite formal and natural.

gmmcnair
gmmcnair

Another Canoe lover here. I love it's opening and the warm base. It smells vintage in a good way, warm, soft, and stunning and never cheap if not overapplied.

The EDT, not surprisingly, has much greater longevity than the cologne and is closer to how I remember this smelling when I was a kid. (42 now).

Kiku
Kiku

I don't normally like herby scents but this one stole my heart. Soft flower notes with a touch of spice and lemon dry down to a cool and bracing "earthy" scent. Wonderful for hot days or casual events.

cisco
cisco

I am confused on the origin date of Canoe. I wore the men's version in the 60's as did many of my friends. I thought it was very clean and pleasant. It did not smell masculine on me....just clean. If I thought it was even close to the original formula I would get some because I need a sports perfume. It's a lot cheaper than Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren.

I bought a bottle and either my chemistry of this formula has changed. It did not jar my memory at all and no longer smelled good on me.

saint2006
saint2006

The first year this was available was 1932. Its a beautiful fragrance. The top notes together reminds me of lemon meringue pie. Its very smooth all the way to the base. Though it lacks longevity. I dont mind reapplying to start the notes over again. The votes are more for spring and summer, but it works just as well during the fall and winter season.

Shalimar
Shalimar

Years ago, when I was in High School, some of us decided to wear our boyfriends' cologne for one of those "Sadie Hawkins Day" things. My boyfriend happened to wear Canoe quite often so that is the one I chose and I loved the way it smelled on me! My friends liked it too and pretty soon, all the girls were using Canoe as our own!
Although I haven't worn it for years, I love this cologne - it is light and clean smelling and the moment I catch it's scent, I am transported back to my carefree, happy youth!

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

A very clean fragrance I don't get tired of. This was given to me as a gift when I was 16... and I just buy more when I run out. I'm 24 now... still sticks with me. It reminds me of the tonic the barbers use right after a haircut, but it carries a bit more dignity than that. For a fragrance released in the 1920s, this must have been ahead of it's time.

shamus1
shamus1

I really wanted to like this because I like old-school colognes. But I don't like it. Yes, it's a typical "fougere", barbershop fragrance (smells similar to Pinaud's Clubman), but the ingredients just smell totally cheap and chemical. The fragrance smells both chemical and soggy at the same time. When I smell it, the only thought that comes to mind is "cheap cologne" and I don't mean cheap as in just inexpensive. I can't recommend Canoe.

Cybrchef
Cybrchef

One of my 1st colognes age 13, Lol. great starter cologne

Canoe for Men by Dana 3.60 out of 5 based on 167 ratings and 40 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dana Canoe for Men fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Dana Canoe for Men, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Canoe for Men by Dana. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Canoe for Men by Dana represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.