Designers » D E » Leather « Groups

English Leather Dana for men
dislike

leather
smoky

English Leather by Dana is a Leather fragrance for men. English Leather was launched in 1949. The fragrance features citruses, oakmoss, woodsy notes and leather.

Citruses Oakmoss Woodsy Notes Leather

Sharif

English Leather Fragrance Reviews

mildspicej17u55l
mildspicej17u55l

I was given this as a gift a few years back. Hated it! Its so cheap smelling. Its just nasty. It smells like old man aftershave. Not sophisticated, just blah.

shawnjj
shawnjj

I really wanted to like this. I did not. To me it smells like a cowboy boot sprayed over with lysol. I wouldn't wear it again unless I was going to the rodeo maybe, although since that's not my thing, I just own this now uselessly--except for the bottle which I do like the look of a lot. And true to it's look, it is very masculine and old-fashioned seeming, in a cowboy film/cigarallo smoker/straight razor shaving type of way. Which is cool but it turned out to not be for me. But if that's what someone's looking to project, this would be a good cheap way to achieve that. The smell of a 1950s rural plaid-collar ranch worker, named Butch, without any irony or gay in there at all. Because Butch would feel so uncomfortable and offended by that. And I think so would a lot of younger people be offended by this Butch of a scent.

Great bottle though.

(Edited)

samsara82
samsara82

Dear Readers.

This male fragrance is quite a character indeed, personally I wont ever purchase it since we and this cowboy aren't compatible together and let me tell you why.

I like him, it has a old fashion maleness to it that is very simple and zesty, the leather and ginger in this is extremely apparent but it smells good on the right chemistry when I recall this scent on men which I always liked and whenever I saw this in stores I wanted to try the tester and the opportunity came and I tried it and liked it.

But again, this male fragrance on my chemistry wasn't the character of bravado that I liked on men ,this fragrance does have a earthly but zesty maleness to it, reminded me of something John Wane/The Duke would have worn and Heath Ledger in that movie Brokeback mountain, ahaha.

Either way, its a good vintage male zesty and leathery perfume that has character and will make your presence noticeable at the rodeo.

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

I found a Mem version plastic bottle of English Leather from the late '70s or early '80s, which came from a plane back when airlines gave you scent for choosing them rather than making you pay for your own sandwich, and I'm amazed by it. It's absolutely delicious on me, a woman who's used to the newest formulations of Tabac Blond and Cuir de Russie. (I know some folks have issues with the former, which I don't undertand at all. To me, TB is heaven.) Tessture and Gypsie Perfumista already have described perfectly the scent I smell, so I won't repeat those reviews. I will just add that man or woman, if you love leather fragrances, the Mem version is worth trying blind. As of December 2013, it's practically free on Ebay.

jht4060
jht4060

I am a big fan of some cheap Dana perfumes (Canoe, Tabu, Toujours Moi) but English Leather doesn't do much for me. It is pretty good for the price, but there is a slightly floral saddle-soapy leather top and middle accord that seems somehow off balance and a woody leather base that is only a bit better. For only a few more dollars you can get Ferrari Uomo, which is an excellent leather perfume with a gorgeous bottle to boot, although it lacks the floral hint of English Leather if that is important to you.

ohyousooners
ohyousooners

Smells like lemon bathroom cleaner.

It reminds me of a cheap moldy musty motel room that was recently cleaned with some industrial grade lemon bathroom cleaner.

This might just be the worst frag I've ever put on my skin. Longevity is pretty significant, but I'm not sure that's a good thing in this case.

Note: I've got one of the newer Dana reformulations. I've heard the vintage stuff is much better, idk.

Redbeard
Redbeard

"Saddlesoap and flowers," as I sometimes think of it. I think the barbershop that my mom always took me to as a small child smelled like this, and I only recently realized it. I guess it's mostly old-fashioned flowery soap with a little bit of something incensey? I struggled with whether it's so flowery as to be effeminate, but I think that this question is ultimately moot with English Leather. It's more of a clean-man than a manly-man scent, and I'm sure that's how it was intended: for fine, upstanding, well-groomed, clean-shaven gentlemen in their offices, hard at work during a time of post-war prosperity. Naturally it's not as strong as all the later EdTs, but since I'm sure this was meant more as an splash-on augmentation to one's aftershave than as a statement on its own, I won't criticize it for weakness. A fairly good cheapy.

Cormach
Cormach

Just ordered this, blind, on the strength of the reviews here. BTW fragrance_fan..the logo IS all leather!! It's a saddle!

fragrance_fan
fragrance_fan

This one is something special. If you forget everything you know about what cologne smells like presently and splash some of this on your cheeks you can appreciate it. It's not as fresh as i remember it. And not as creamy. But still kinda powdery after an hour or two.

It still has the feeling of leather, vanilla cream and spice with the sharpness of spearmint - but there is no spearmint in it if that makes any sense. It just has a sharpness to it that says "Hey, I'm a guy and I smell like one so back off! Unless you're a hot gal then get closer!".

That said i never could figure out why the logo for this stuff is an upside-down bowler hat with a spatula glued to the side. it's one of those things that's just so ridiculous it looks right even though it smells nothing like a bowler hat and kitchen utensils.

The logo should be something made from leather if you ask me. Maybe something like an English reading chair with a guy reading a book and smoking a pipe. Or an English pipe with the smoke silhouette of a guy smoking a pipe sitting in reading chair - or a flying eagle smoking a pipe about to pounce on a rabbit ... something like that would make sense.

pronose
pronose

timeless classy scent! hard to find though! but nice to wear it and shop around in harrods of london!

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

When I was a teenager back in the 70's my Dad used this fragrance all the time. One time he took my brother and I fishing and I decided to put some on. We had the best time that day and we didn't even catch any fish. To this day every time I smell English Leather it reminds me of that magical day with my Dad. :)

amoregal
amoregal

This was popular in the 70s when I was in college. I remember stopping guys at school who I didn't know and asking them "are you wearing English Leather"? I absolutely loved that scent!! I finally bought myself a bottle and used to wear it myself. I loved the smell it left on my sweaters which lasted forever. It was such a sexy comforting scent to me. Ah, the memories. Years later, it's mo wonder I like woody scents, as opposed to the flowery stuff.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

English Leather! Haha! When my son was a teen I found a bottle of this at a yard sale and, on a whim, I bought it for him. For a while he practically *bathed* himself in it. So, for me, it smells like a teenage male.

I would never ever wear it. Cheap but not really good.

Update: This has been reformulated, and not well. The new stuff smells dreadful.

orestes
orestes

order this cologne from strawberrynet,i cant find it in greece,so i order from this site

MostEpicNameEver
MostEpicNameEver

Hi, a bit off topic. I wanna try this cologne but cant find it (sephora, etc.). Does anyone know where I could purchase this one in Dubai?

Thanks.

ColubineCola
ColubineCola

I always try men's cologne, regardless that I'm a female. Personal fragrance is personal fragrance, yes?
Anyway, on my pulse points, it first is a bit cloying. A big blast of lemon (like the tried and true vintage cologne kind) and moss but it quickly melts down to a soft, warm and inviting leather. Not like real leather, mind. It has an extremely tiny vanilla note floating somewhere behind the balsam. It's relatively smooth.

Sillage: Close to the skin.
Longevity: Moderate, I suppose but then, my skin doesn't like to hold onto scents for long.

Very classic and Chic. I think that it's good for all ages.

Bierko
Bierko

this is one of my favorites, colonia completely woody, Contains mixed notes of citrus, woods, moss and leather

sherryxfilesfan
sherryxfilesfan

I really love this fragrance for some reason....it is so feminine on me....very powdery.

James Lewis
James Lewis

Its definatelly old school.Smells okay in the bottle but tends to smell cheap on the skin.I like it but I dont like to wear it.

Amos Jolthead
Amos Jolthead

Very heavy scent. Smells completely different in the bottle than it does on my skin. It smells like just pure manly, spicy leather out of the bottle. I only notice the citrus on my skin.

Don’t really get the middle notes here. Seems to fade straight into the woody & leather base notes.

The scent’s not bad per se. It’s in its own class in a way. Other scents are ‘English Leather’ scents – it’s hard to put this in a category. It’s extremely cheap & saying that EL is ‘nothing fancy’ is an understatement. It’s very base & cloying – but not altogether in a bad way. It’s not that bad of a scent, but it is also very mature. Using it for a couple hours (very lightly mind you) is fine, but after a couple of hours on me – there’s just something that tells me that I’m much too young to be wearing this. There’s a bit of old mannish-ness to this. The scent itself would probably get a thumbs-down if that was all I was considering. It’s tolerable if you’re going by scent alone IMO.

Dies down after about 6-7 hours on me, so it’s got pretty decent longevity. The sillage is good. You barely have to splash any on this stuff is so strong. It also has the ability to be offensive if you’re wearing too much. I imagine that EL is a bit of an acquired fragrance. All in all, probably a cog in anyone’s fragrance library; not the best, but a must-have, especially for the price. A thumbs-up from me reflects EL’s history, notoriety, price, and decent scent.

chiqui
chiqui

was given as a gift upon opening it hooboy!! didnt bother try using it either..

waine
waine

Everything said here has been relatively accurately captured.

In the "good old days," If I was looking for something on a shoe string budget for my grandfather, I would buy this for him for Christmas.

Fortunately I don't have any grandfathers left to punish.

jgirgar
jgirgar

Here's another blast from the past. I remember getting this "starter" cologne for my birthday in 1977 and I thought, wow, this is nice. Unfortunately, I barely remember it and if I recall, it was a simple and unassuming scent - safe enough for a first grader. JG 040812

LANIER
LANIER

When I was a teenager there was no real fragrance culture like there is today. Especially for boys! But nonetheless we all got some kind of cologne at Christmas from an Aunt or a Grandmother. My first was English Leather, which even then to my uneducated nose was just plain revolting. I do remember something called British Sterling that I did like. But most likely that also is a bad scent today. It all changed for me when I went away to college and discovered Chanel Pour Homme... (Now Pour Monsieur). THAT changed everything for me. Do not bother out of curiosity to try this canal water called English Leather.

MINUS 5 tin Stars!

andy

it is a nasty, caustic chemical smell and it was MUCH better smelling back in 1949 before they started using cheaper ingredients to make it but now its disgusting stuff. i smelled it the other day and it smelled like cleaning fluid. NOT recommended for anyone

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I wore this cologne as a high school kid, and it was the my first cologne that drew huge complaints :)) 1977

I guess that it did not agree with my body chemistry

poopfromjakecandi
poopfromjakecandi

mine as well use your toilet water as a cologne

rt94103
rt94103

"Going out with skinny Marsha again?" (See YouTube - English Leather....)

I just found a late 70's (?) era, tall, rectangular, cream-colored plastic flask full of fine vintage English Leather® - A Man's Cologne, from beautiful Northvale, New Jersey.

Wanting to waste no time, I slapped a bit on the wrists and am now sitting back trying my best not to gag. (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.) Now, to be fair, this bottle is probably about 30 years old, in cheap plastic, and could well be more than a bit cooked.

None the less, when first applied it suggested an alternate use, a cheap leather cleaner / conditioner. But..., given a moment to settle in and burn down, a not-so-subtle fanfare of astringent soap and powerful detergent stormed forth.

Now, some five minutes in, there is an overwhelming aura of dime-store deodorant in the air, pervading the room such that my fine hound has demanded to burrow deep under the covers.

But wait, what's that I smell, is it my father, intoxicated, and blistering with anger, or is it my grandfather, in the self-same state? The notes are the same, but the lyrics are too slurred to differentiate the nuances.

Ahhh, now the soap is washing out my mouth, I want to spit, or dare I swallow, and wash the soapy taste from my mouth? Wait, that brings forth even more of the scent and taste of Lever 2000 to my nose and palate. That's what's unique about this scent, it's so palpable I can actually taste it, spit it out, and yet it grows.

I rub my wrists together, there now breaks forth a Johnson & Johnson Baby Powder freshness overtaking my schnoz, demanding I sneeze or open a window.

As I get up to scrub my forearms I wonder, is this a special vintage bottle, where the poly-vinyls of the flask have somehow magnified the power of the pungency logarithmically? It truly is a genie in a bottle, and a drunken, soapy one at that.

Fear the Vintage Leather Brit'!

(Scrubbing the forearms with dish detergent and extremely hot water has only served to somewhat lessen the potency of this powerful, overly insistent olfactory concoction. It's a survivor to the finish. The dog moans.)

Grottola
Grottola

The current version of English Leather does not list oakmoss on the ingredients, therefore there must be a synthetic oakmoss note. Otherwise, I get very little leather out of English Leather. Instead, I get a BIG neroli (orange blossom) that lasts into the drydown and gives way to a woody cinnamon smell. I mean, it's certainly not horrible, but then again I wish I could actually smell the leather. I plan to try the vintage MEM version and I'll make a comparison once I get some.

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

Never bought it. But the way it smelled in the 80s resembled the smell of burning rubber.

I'd never buy this.

Kharnak
Kharnak

Yes i remember sitting, "daddy" showing me how he shaves. Talk about oldskool, i love this. This is complex and layered, and lasts ALL day. It's strong as hell, and.... kinda reminds me of Azzaro pour Homme, only it's more intensive on the Lemon than the bitter Green notes.
The head is bitter soapy green, might be a bit offputting to some. but let it settle. The Lemon comes out. This must have a STRONG concentration of Limonene, a common industry standard lemon oil fragrance. After a while is softens out and the Leather notes become very obvious. It's like a soft sweet Suede, VERY much like the drydown of my Favorite Avon's Black Suede. This is for all seasons, but more Mature type guys. Daddy types. It's very very complimentary to the typical "guy smells". This is going to be a classic for me.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

I just received an original MEM bottle of this, and this can't be the scent that everyone is talking about here. This stuff is HORRID!! Soapy, sweet, synthetic, nothing woody or mossy at all. Maybe a hint of leather in the sillage, but smell it up close and, well, let's just hope you haven't eaten much yet. This is a cheap no go, and I can't believe people would actually put this on to smell good. YUCK!
To be fair, the wafting aroma coming from this, does contain a nice leathery scent, but up close, this is a sweet rotting mess. Save up and buy Bel Ami or Knize Ten for good leather.

K1
K1

While most of soaps are flavored nowadays, this old school powerhouse can't hit the market as it used to. This is such a soapy that whenever I see it, I imagine boat rudder and oar, a man in polo shirt and sailing hat, white pants and black boots smoking Dunhill pipe sailing slowly on a bay.
It can be the grandpa of Prada amber pour homme.

PSILOVEFRAGRANCES
PSILOVEFRAGRANCES

English Leather is an old classic, and it holds lots of memories for me. I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and back then (the 60s, to be exact), this fragrance was worn by lots of men. There wasn't much out there to choose from. You had a few, and mostly sold in drugstores, such as Brut, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Hai Karate, Mennen Skin Bracer, and British Sterling, are the main ones that come to mind. English Leather was probably the first cologne I ever bought or received as a gift. I had a piano teacher who wore it in heavy doses, so I'll never forget that smell. It never worked well on me, but I'll always remember the fragrance and it evokes good childhood memories. Oh, boy. ...

greystone
greystone

For the price this is a good masculine cologne that has a strong leather scent and lasts a long time.If you want a strong,masculine scent with a strong leather dry down,then for the price you cant beat English Leather.This cologne has been around for over 60 years,a fragrance doesnt last that long without having mass appeal.

binoybcompany

Update this lasts pretty neat almost 6hrs on my clothes & projects well after the initial stage. For the price pretty neat.

binoybcompany

I like this only for the dry down which has lot of leather & forgetting the old spice start off this is pretty decent Although i bought this for its pure classic stance.

Although should have gone for the Glass one instead of the splash bottle.

shamus1
shamus1

English Leather may have been reformulated, but it's still a great scent and a great bargain. It's drier and lighter than it used to be, with a woody smell that was absent in the older versions of this. The leather is still present, but it shares equal space with the woody notes.

Basically, English Leather is now a woody eau de cologne with a leathery twist. It's now more versatile than it used to be, mainly because it's not as overpowering. It projects well and lasts a good 6 or 7 hours, which I think is perfect for this kind of fragrance.

Like Tabac Original, Old Spice and Brut, English Leather is a bonafide classic that you can wear every day in any occasion, and still not get tired of it. Bravo!

MY RATING: 8/10

I always laughed when my Mother told me how she "loved" English Leather. Dana? (think Canoe, British Sterling, etc)...PLEEZE! A perfumista/-o must (if they are a halfway decent one, IMO) give each and every scent a sniff, and maybe a second sniff; as tatses DO tend to change. When I saw this 2oz. cologne spray and 2 oz. (MEN'S!) lotion for three US dollars in a bargain basement store, I figured WHY NOT? (I've spent more on a venti white mocha).

For Dana to keep on making this, SOMEONE has to be buying it, right? NOW I see why! ONE spray down my shirt and this has eclipsed everything else splattered, dabbed and sprayed on different areas of my body today as I am writing! Citruses (a sheer lemon, some lime, maybe grapefruit and *of course* bergamot) make this young (okay, forty something!) man think twice about "old man" colognes. Here citruses meet moss (thick dry green moss) and lovely light woods. There is a "leather" note listed here. But I believe the beauty of this scent (like Penhaligons English Fern) is that it defines and describes soft supple English saddle leather without ever including anything overly animalic (like birch tar, or "skin musks") into the mix. Ironic, and at the same time a stellar feat of perfumed alchemy. That something this cheap smells this good just blows my mind! That initial "loudness" does fade, but what it becomes is something smooth, dry and VERY sexy. Clean, but not soapy or "fresh", it's just right.T here is something in there *points at $3.00 bottle* that smells way more expensive than what it is, not exactly like REAL leather...but more like buckskin or suede in how soft and ultimately sensual it is. Color me: ashamed! That I avoided this wonderful scent for so long...I guess what they say is right: Mothers just know!

Sillage: great then good
Longevity: impressive
Overall: 3.75/5

On sniffing this my mom said it smells right, but it used to (in the wooden capped SPLASH bottle) smell somewhat sharper and project better. Now, we are on the lookout for an ORIGINAL bottle of this, one of the longest lasting (as far as how long it has been available) mass market mens scents. THIS is twenty years older than I am for Perfume's sake, and I am really really quite impressed. It does not (despite the reduced to 3 dollar clearance tag on my giftset) smell "cheap" or calone-y. Something not all men's scents today can boast. It does have a bit of a "barber shop" scent to it, but nothing all that soapy (like Royal Copenhagen) or spicy musky (like Wild Country). It is just a quality "cologne" at a decent (or ridiculously LOW) price. Wow...

krazyfizzy
krazyfizzy

Decent.. Nothing Great.. reminds one of the barber's shop.. Sweet smelling.. fragrance has a sum what Honey-ish note..
A Good value for money Scent.. Nothing Exceptional.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

this one smells like an old barbershop !!!!! i kind of like it, i give it 6 out of 10 :D

Cheeva
Cheeva

Although its been reformulated, I still love this stuff its KLASSIC! and my father used to wear this in the 70s. gone is the monstrous projection and silage of the original, where splashing this on more than every 3 days would seem redundant. still an all-time classic.

peeachediva
peeachediva

I absolutely LOVE this on my husband. I like it that although there are SOME citrus notes in it, that it doesn't contain LIME. He has worn it pretty much all his life, I think. We are both 55 and I don't remember him ever NOT wearing it. It is not a SCREAMY mans fragrance. I would say it is lighter classic/masculine. Ass TESSTURE mentions, it is definitely MELLOW. This is definitely NOT a smell the guy as he walks down the street scent. It is more of a subtle almost sweet essence...probably from the oakmoss which can even work just by itself. Strangely, I don't really smell leather in it. I guess my husband has good chemestry. Yes, like Knights, I would say that it has the mossy, slightly spiciness to it on my husband. Very subtle. It's the kind of scent where one would say 'I know his smell'... as opposed to saying " I smell his cologne'. Really subtle, quiet, classy, and masculine.

Miyavi
Miyavi

This is a nice scent in general. At first I was not so sure about it, but after I bought it I liked it. I don't get many compliments with this though. In fact, in school the girls sitting behind me were saying stuff like "what is that smell" and "can anyone else smell that"...idk if that's good or bad...??? But assuming its good I will keep using this, but if its not...well I will use other things more often than this. As for me, I like this scent.

Lillith
Lillith

I like this on my skin. It started out fresh and citruswith a hint of wood, then became sweet and slightly powdery with occassional hints of new leather jacket.

It doesn't seem to last on my skin in cooler weather, so it might be a summer night scent.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Other members are much better at describing scents. So I will simply say that, for me, oakmoss is predominant. In fact, there is (to me, anyway) a powdery sweetness after a while.

I like it, but there was a time, 30+ years ago, when I used to love smelling it on young men. I don't think I'm crazy to think the formulation has changed. I was hoping to get a whiff of nostalgia; however, it's a mere hint of what it used to be. Shame.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I have an original MEM Co. bottle of this, and the aftershave that goes with it. Lots of leather, with some citrus. Here's the problem - it doesn't work on my skin. I end up smelling dirty. But if you have the sort of skin type that works well with a cheap leather fragrance (no intention of this sounding like a put down - lots of people like inexpensive leather scents and I am one of them) this is for you. Definitely very manly.

Dana Version: Beautiful stuff. Opens with a sharp lemon/lime combination, which rapidly dries into a very dry, woody hint of leather. So what we basically have here is an eau de cologne with a dessicated wood drydown that suggests clean riding tack after a gallop through the pines. Incredibly better than the MEM version, and 8 ounces is the only size worth getting at this price.

andy

had the honor to smell this wonderful scent when i was busing tables, definately had a moth ball aroma to it, luckily nobody got up anywhere near him until he left

definately funny how anyone would actually buy this stuff, its WAY out of it's peak and zizanie, brut and old spice are much better

Castor
Castor

Is it birch tar? Cosmetic chemists say this is the chemical responsible for the smell of leather.

I've got a miniature given as a compliment to my father by the hotel he stayed at when on one of his trips to the USA back in the 1970s. I tried it as a layer option and combined it with Hermes Bel Ami. No surprise, leather became the main and almost solitary note.

This convinced me I should get a bottle. Given the price it is being sold at, it would make a nice surprise if the concoction is the same I have.

knightz
knightz

The first. English Leather, 60 years old and still going strong. Everyone should have this in their wardrobe. Classic Leather, with very little else. It smells just like putting on a brand new, quality, full leather coat while wearing a mossy, slightly spicy, citrus cologne. It delivers exactly what it's says. It's simple, potent, and long lasting. Happy 60th Birthday!

A classic men's cologne. There are no 'clean' aquatic notes in this one, only that mellow, tobacco-y leather and the dusty, slightly antique oakmoss. Warm and still masculine, this one is a men's scent I hold others against as a standard. "Smells like English leather" is a phrase I've used many times in describing more recent colognes that do little more than duplicate this original. Not for men who like sporty scents. A good autumn/winter scent.

English Leather by Dana 3.26 out of 5 based on 141 ratings and 51 user reviews

Dana English Leather After Shave Splash 240ml 8oz
Dana English Leather After Shave Splash 240ml 8oz
Dana English Leather Cologne Splash 240ml 8oz
Dana English Leather Cologne Splash 240ml 8oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dana English Leather fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dana English Leather, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify English Leather by Dana. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of English Leather by Dana represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.