Designers » D E » Leather « Groups

English Leather Black Dana for men

English Leather Black Dana for men
dislike

leather

English Leather Black is a new version of the famous English Leather created by the company MEM in 1949. In the years after the WWII pilots' leather jacket was one of the most romantic and desired things. Leather scents were also very much in, and one of them was the intensive and very masculine English Leather.
The company MEM was bought by Renaissance Cosmetics Inc., which is today named Dana Classics. Dana Classics owns several perfume brands among which Dana.

English Leather Black is 'the 21st century recreation of the famous fragrance' and even comes in the same bottle shape, only in black color. The main notes of this fragrance are bergamot, coriander, sandalwood and musk. The fragrance was created in 2007.

Green Notes Bergamot

Rosemary Leather

Sandalwood Musk Woody Notes

English Leather Black Fragrance Reviews

peeck@charter.net
peeck@charter.net

I could not resist the Walmart buy... My wife thought I was crazy!

After spending Thanksgiving with my in-laws I was snooping in their medicine cabnet and noticed an old bottle of the original English Leather and I couldn't resist the temptation of giving it a try. It brought back memories of childhood and smelling this OLD 70s Scent. I think I would be willing to give a new bottle of English Leather a try. Hoping that the NEW juice might smell... maybe better?

While in Walmart going through the Christmas $3 cologne section I saw the English Leather Original and English Leather Black. I never seen the BLACK flanker. How could I go wrong! Since my wife threatened me if I bought the Original so I got permission to try the BLACK.

Now let me backtrack a bit... I did get a chance to explore the Niche level Perfumes while on the Chicago Miracle Mile last week end. I fell in love with some of the Luxurious Tom Ford fragrances. So no, I'm not crazy, but I do believe its all in the juice! I have not broke down and given permission to myself to sacrifice half a paycheck to obtain that level of expertise creations. So I kind of feel bad about even going here! But, I'm trying to have some fun with trying to get a bigger picture of men fragrances...In hopes of finding my Signature Scent... TRY'EM all...

So back to the English Leather Black. I'm really impressed! It really smells nice! NOTHING like the Original, I mean NOTHING! Maybe more like the Burberry fragrances. Its a smooth sweet spiced tobacco leathery musk that is fairly linear not changing much all the way through the dry down. How could someone not like this interpretation of an American classic.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This cheapy really does smell "black" to me. It's sweet and woody, and the darkly-stained wooden cap kind of alludes to what they were going for. I didn't notice it evolving much, but it makes me think of nicely-finished ebony or some other exotic hardwood, with a little leather in there too. I got a 1.7 oz (a monster size for me) for next to nothing. It's not really that strong, and I think it merits 3-4 sprays where I might normally do 2 but it took me a while to realize that. I don't think this would surprise anyone in a bad way or a good way. I was thinking of getting rid of it in favor of more expensive brands, but then I realized that nothing I've owned or even tried has had quite this type of polished wood vibe, so I kept it for a while for its uniqueness.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I actually am wearing this scent today, as I borrowed some from a male friend, and then decided to purchase a bottle for myself after receiving numerous complements.
I do notice the citrusy top note, but also detect the refreshingly dry woods, amber,leather, and a moderate musk (almost too much for my taste, so I don't spray on too much!).
I am not sure what is happening with these folks who say English Leather Black does not last, because on me it sometimes lasts six hours or more (but not always), plus it has a decent sillage for a men's scent.
I certainly suggest that the ladies try this fragrance for themselves, especially if you like the non-floral scents.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

English Leather black presents me with a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand, I like its brash, sweetened citrus top note. And then there's an equally simple and nonchalant scratchy-woody drydown, with a hefty dollop of musk. Sophisticated? No. Fun to smell? Resolutely, yes. Maybe it's my inner ten year-old perking up, but I'm drawn to my wrist when EL Black is on it.

On the other hand, I'm not inclined to actually wear this fragrance. I recognize the potential here, and feel it's a good effort yielding a decent drugstore frag, but I think that overbearing woody thing in the base would wind up giving me a headache if I actually committed to it for the day. All well, try it and see for yourself if it floats your boat. It's worth that much, at least.

Kharnak
Kharnak

It's quite a plain citrus.
Same citrus accord as most common fragrances, but not as harsh and loud as the Original English Leather. The Leather note is nearly gone. This is far more polite and mainstream than the classic. It is well done though. It's very difficult to dislike this. It dries down to a soft powdery muskiness. Much smaller projection, but it does last nearly all day.
This is another rather safe fragrance if you're thinking of a gift. I bet this would go great with scenting the inside of a jacket.
PS: I just realized it smells a LOT like Bleu de Chanel, but the leather note is a little better, more subtle, Bleu has a sort of suede Vinyl feel to it, with an additional grapefruit tinge.

greystone
greystone

Like the original English Leather,Black is a very masculine and powerful cologne at an extremely low price.Lasts almost all day just like the original,a good modern interpretation of an American classic.

Galleddrim
Galleddrim

The notes listed here have GOT to be wrong. English Leather opens with a very strong citrus blast. It's something I generally stay away from, and it actually turned me off the first time I tried it. But the second time, I actually thought it was done quite well. Not to lemony . . . just citrusy. And then the citrus fade to uncover a strong musky leathery spicy concoction. This fragrance is extremely masculine and adventurous. Smells like something Indiana Jones would wear.

instantjim
instantjim

This opens like a freight train. Strong spice and citrus combine to make it sharp, while the middle/base musky and woody notes give it great depth. The leather in this is very much overwhelmed by the sharp top-notes.

After about 30 minutes it is really at its best and I detect something similar to a pungent tobacco-like note coming through, probably the "leather".

Like a freight train, it is also soon gone and after an hour it is really close to the skin.

This is a very good fragrance considering the cheap price for which it can be bought and I love the bottle. If only it lasted longer...

guest_deus_vampire
guest_deus_vampire

Unfortunately discontinued at my local retailer for the past year... but without a doubt my favorite scent. 1st a sweet, floral and citrus note, followed by a deeper musky tone, and ending with a somewhat grassy or piney flavor; all combined, a dark- sensual symphony that is neither overtly sweet as most feminine perfums, nor as intensely chemical as colognes for men.
I really wish there were more fragrances like this. I rate it higher than Burberry. 10/10

roboman
roboman

I have owned a wide variet of frags from mass market to niche, but i have a soft spot in my heart for drug store frags...i bought this one with the deo stick, aerosol spray and edt for like 20 bucks.

This one is plain and simple...to me, there is a a candied licorice note overlayed on rich suede. It stays fairly linear and does not progress in my opinion beyond those notes. It really smells nothing like the original english leather which is butch and astringent...only towards the very end does a little of that peak through. If you want an idea about how this one smells without purchasing it, smell the deo stick.

Overall i would rate it a 6 out of 10

English Leather Black by Dana 3.84 out of 5 based on 40 ratings and 10 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dana English Leather Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dana English Leather Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify English Leather Black by Dana. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of English Leather Black by Dana represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.