Designers » D E » Floral « Groups

Love's Baby Soft Dana for women

Love's Baby Soft Dana for women
dislike

Love's Baby Soft Dana for women Pictures Love's Baby Soft Dana for women Pictures Love's Baby Soft Dana for women Pictures

Love's Baby Soft is a gentle, powdery and light fragrance, launched in 1974 with a provocative and controversial ad "Because innocent is sexier than you think”. It is described as clean, baby-smell, which is still sufficiently "mature" to be sexy. It contains notes of geranium, jasmine, rose, lavender, patchouli, vanilla and musk, among others.

Available as 30 and 50 ml Cologne spray.

Lavender Musk Jasmine Geranium Patchouli Vanille Rose

Harajuku Lovers Baby
Baby Powder

Love's Baby Soft Fragrance Reviews

MRowe
MRowe

I had this one as a kid and it is very baby powder like and sweet, perfect for preteen girls who can't pull off the heavier scents just yet. I know I got it as a gift several times but haven't smelled it in years due to my husband's revulsion to anything even vaguely "baby flavored" as he puts it.

dianacreole
dianacreole

I do LOVE this one. It wore it as a child, so did my sister. So did my nieces and now my daughter. It's simply lovely. Innocent, fresh, soothing. I haven't seen it in stores very much lately but will be certain to pick it up when I do. A true classic.

archivist
archivist

I was visiting my nieces (5 and 7), and one of them ran upstairs to put on some of her "perfume" (I was imagining that she'd been given a Disney scent or something), very excited to share the scent with me because she knows from having visited me that I love perfumes and have many - which the girls both love trying out.

When she came back downstairs I was blown away by how lovely she smelled - honestly, for half a beat I thought I must have left my L'Heure Bleue in the guest room at some point and it had been commandeered by little fingers. Then I thought it must be Bandit. Then I asked her to show me the bottle, and she came back with it and I was stunned.

Very old-school fragrance, it smelled like something formulated in the 1940s or 1950s. I'm very sure it had not turned, it was brand-new and likely a gift from her maternal grandparents. Her skin really amplified the spicy scent of geranium and the brisk lavender and the patchouli (patchouli is a somewhat shocking thing to smell on a child, tbh) - I should have asked to spritz some to see if it was as complex on me, or if I'd only get the baby powder being mentioned. It does have a soft orrisy/irisy/powdery musk, but that's actually really nice if you're used to the more sneezy musk that goes into aquatics and "clean" perfumes these days.

Definitely not a perfume for little girls, though if my niece is any indicator, very youthful skin is the best canvas for it. Apt to make even a teenager smell like she might have Benjamin Buttons Syndrome, though I'd applaud her for not going for the usual Frooty Pebbles gourmands which are more mainstream these days.

AneV
AneV

I'm not sure I like this I've worn it twice and got a big headache. I couldn't figure out why, its so soft. Maybe its not a big loss, it didnt fit my personality anyway. I'm giving it to my niece maybe it'll work for her.

lilytrivette
lilytrivette

This has been my favorite for years but now I don't really like the powdery smell anymore. I think this is a great perfume for teens but I think I wore it so much that I got sick of it. I highly recommend because I have used I had used it for years and loved it.

Chiquis
Chiquis

Wow that ad has to be the most inappropriate in perfume history!!!

I purchased Baby Soft for like $5 while placing an online order with Walmart. It's as everyone describes- baby powder with a some spice that turns plastic-y. On my skin it disappears in 30 minutes. I usually add this in my carry on luggage because TSA convinently "confiscates" more expensive perfumes and lotions (even if they meet standards). No one has ever taken my Baby Soft lol

I feel like Love's Baby Soft was the inspiration for JPG's Classique. You can't deny the similarities, aside from obvious quality and longevity differences.

Opening-Note
Opening-Note

For a lot of my friends and me, this was our first perfume. I got it back in 5th grade, and I remember loving it at the time (heck, I still have the teddy bear somewhere!). Now, however, powdery smells bother me, and I have never gone back to pick another up. It is a very inexpensive perfume to try, and in one of the Wal-Marts I frequent it tends to hang at the end of one of the beauty isles. It brings back memories, that's for sure!

princess_buttercup
princess_buttercup

On me, this first smells like sort of sweet baby powder. It's a little much. Then, later, it started to smell familiar, and I was trying to place it- was this how it smelled on me as a (much) younger girl... kind of plastic-y powdery? No, it went back even further. Remember baby dolls that were scented like powder? Cheap plastic and fake powdery scent... this is love's on me now. Ugh. If anyone wants it, I'll be glad to trade, swamp for just a sample of something, or even donate...

elph
elph

It's hard to describe this perfume. I never actually wore it myself - I couldn't get permission. It had a bit of a reputation. Most of my friends at school wore it, though. It was the sort of perfume that went well with a tight puff-sleeved sweater and "Crimson and Clover" on the jukebox. It really did smell soft, like a sweet cloud around the person wearing it. It smelled like the Snuggle bear holding cotton candy. The newer formulations have an edge that was not present in the original formulation.

ErinBerry
ErinBerry

Starts off this powdery anisic thing, then dries down to smell EXACTLY like coconut suntan lotion. Huh?

Kahill
Kahill

It is time to get some manufacturing information straight about Love Cosmetics, makers of the "Love's" lines such as Baby Soft, Musky Jasmine, Lemon Fresh, etc.

Menly & James, Inc., "M & J", was the originator of Love Cosmetics, who first started out selling their pharmaceuticals (actual drugs). Since they already had agents visiting drug stores, the decision was made to use their chemist's expertise to formulate fragrances and cosmetics. Love Cosmetics was born.

M&J distributed their Love Cosmetics mainly in the drug stores that they had established accounts with already. The decision also mandated that the fragrances should be marketed to young audiences with limited funds – hence the line of Love fragrances to follow were marketed and sold relatively cheaply in the 70’s.

M&J then sold the rights to the "Love's" lines to Chattem, Inc. in Chattanooga, TN in 1980. Chattem remained faithful to the original formulations of the lines and the fragrances remained as alluring as was originally produced by M&J at least through 1984.

After that, I do not know when Chattem sold the rights to DANA (1985, I as I recall), but that is when the formulations drastically changed and the fragrances lost the essence that had made them wonderful. The DANA productions of the "Love's" lines were pitiful, at best.

As of late, I've seen "Love's Baby Soft" advertised, made by MEM. I have yet to find any information on the "MEM" corporation - and also have yet to try the fragrances to see if they went back to the original formulations (we could only hope) or if they stuck to the dreaded DANA reformulations.

I have many vintage bottles of the M&J original formulations of the "Love's" line fragrances, so I am curious about the "MEM" version that is now out. However, I'm rather put off by the fact that the online venues that sell the MEM version touts the fragrances like they (the illusive MEM company) are the original 1970's formulation creators - even writing the copy to make it sound like MEM was the original designer house!

Quite frankly, that rubs me the wrong way. Credit should be given where credit is due - and Menly & James, Inc. deserves ALL the credit for starting Love's Cosmetics and launching a million memories in millions of little wonderful bottles of heaven.

Susan_b
Susan_b

This was a staple for any girl growing up in the 80's. Although I've outgrown it whenever I smell it it brings back fond memories of my childhood.

Giselle Viz
Giselle Viz

This was my first perfume when I was 8 years old in the 80's in Hollywood, California. This started my crazy obsession with perfumes. Oh the memories!

I love the review below me. Just perfect.

rue_de_la_roux
rue_de_la_roux

Like all the other preteens in the 70's I had a bottle of this sitting on my vanity. The older girls really rocked this, the younger ones tried to, it wore more innocent on them. I recently bought a new bottle for old times sake and had to get a bottle of the vintage to really experience the scent again. The new is so weak I had to stick my nose to my wrist and huff at it to get a whiff. Plus the longevity is poor, the new juice was gone from my skin in less than an hour.

Anyway, the vintage is where it's at. It smells like crossing the threshold of puberty: like a child and woman in one. Makes me think of women like Lolita. And/or like a virgin/whore type thing. Innocent and sexual in one. The innocent scent of baby powder, the comforting scent of lavender, a touch of vanilla with grown up musk, then roses and floral notes in the background, the adult waiting to emerge in the wings.

I remember Brooke Shields stating in the magazine ads, "..I don't like to smell too perfume-y..." something along those lines. And this is soooo perfume-y compared to the fruit juice and candy scents marketed at young girls today! Since getting my vintage bottle, I've worn it out a few times, trying to wear it around people who won't recognize it (if that's at all possible!) and it wears as a perfume, like a grown up perfume :)

Carnation
Carnation

Personally, I really don't care for the smell of this but being such a devotee of 1970's culture, I appreciate it's iconic status.
This was on every preteen and teenage girl's dresser top back in it's heyday. The bottle back then looked very much like the way deodorant bottles were shaped: Tallish, slightly tubular and it had a white cap. I smelled this first back in 1977 where it indeed smelled just like baby powder. Today's version however has deviated somewhat from the original ( No surprise there due to reformulations of every scent before 2000). It has more of a hairspray quality to it. The bottle changed too. Still, I think every young lady just getting to know the world of fragrances should be introduced to this. My only thing of regret is that she couldn't be there the first time around when Loves had all the marketing of the merchandise behind it because it was a great time to be a girl.

turtlenic1
turtlenic1

This was my very first perfume. I begged and begged my parents for it and finally got it for my 5th birthday...that would have been 1980...and I've always loved it.

Now my two daughters, age 6 and 3 each have a bottle and love it. They spray their perfume on when mommy sprays hers on in the morning. It's so fun!

It smells like a fresh and clean baby, and is probably why I do adore powdery scents to this day.

Who can resist the scent of a fresh baby?!?!

fruitypurr
fruitypurr

Vintagey.

RedHeartSunglasses
RedHeartSunglasses

I don't think I'll ever stop wearing Love's Baby Soft. I just want to spray it on everything I own and make my whole room smell like Love's Baby Soft and Chanel no. 5.

It really does smell like a grown-up version of the smell of "babies"... bright clean skin, baby powder, baby lotion. Its sexiness comes from how clean and soft and skin-complimenting it is. It's a girl wearing a white lace dress in summer, not a woman wearing a tight leather skirt at a smokey club. It's the scent of skin you can't wait to touch. Lolita would have worn this if it had been around in the 50s.

I know the ads are off-putting, but they are historically significant.

Ayola83
Ayola83

This was actually my very first perfume when I was 13. My mother brought it for my birthday, and I use to wear it almost everyday in junior high, I think. Didn't know lavender was one of the main notes; I always smelled the rose. Gonna have to go looking for this one again...but I know that the formula changes over time, so I don't know if it will smell the same.

SillySue
SillySue

Heads up, not a review of the fragrance:

Jeepers Creepers. The ads and tagline for this thing are so unbelivably inappropriate. Creeps me out. Guess the zeitgeist was a lot different back in 1974.

Flowercat
Flowercat

I've been searching for this ultimate, purely soft & beautiful fragrance in more "grown-up" form since I bathed myself in this magical scent as a teenager. It was my perfect signature perfume, and I couldn't find an adult version to replace it.
So I won't! I realized that I was lucky enough to find my perfect fragrance at 14, and decades later it STILL effuses everything I'll ever want a fragrance to say, even in its possibly altered formulation. It's a gentle cloud of all things feminine, innocent, and pretty floating along with you through the day and night. Reunited and it feels so good! I won't stray again!

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

The intentional side of what's usually decried as 'baby powder.' Even in its most recent super cheap formulation, a soft, sweet delight. 1970s romance and sly pseudo-innocence bottled. Many opt for Pink Sugar as a guilty or straight-up pleasure. Love's Baby Soft fills that furtive spot of girliness for me and is a serene herbal tea to Pink Sugar's frappuccino.

Thatkid

This is a good, light fragrance for really hot days when you don't want to overpower the senses with scent. My own personal experience and from reading others, this fragrance is gone within a matter of minutes. However, it's nice after a shower or for freshening up; I will say that. Not a total loss, but prefer if it had more staying power, because I don't feel like spraying it all of the time.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

I picked this up recently at a drugstore for 52 cents with the lotion in a giftset. Yes, 52 cents, after a holiday promotion. I couldn't resist. I remember this when I was a teen-ager and couldn't stomach the ads. I wouldn't wear it back then. Tabu was my preferred flavor of choice as a young teen because it was so much more daring than this. So here I am, revisiting this fragrance, decades later.
Love's Baby Soft is just that with a slight hint of musky spices surrounded by powder. That's what it is and it's longevity is slight. It's a natural scent that won't offend a soul. It's comforting. A scent to go to bed with. A scent to wrap your arms around babies with, an unassuming fragrance to wear.
The sillage isn't there unless you use it as a body spray and it's more of a memory of the 70's than anything else. No need to trash this because those of us who remember the Dana colognes of the 1970's lived that era with our own memories of growing up, some fond and some bittersweet, but memories none the less. Dana colognes will always hold a place on my fragrance shelf for that reason.
We mature and go on to other scents and perfumes and hopefully do not become snobs in the world of fragrances. That is the worst evil, really, I believe. If it smells delightful, if it brings a smile to your face, if it evokes pleasant thoughts or memories, it's worth the money, whether a few dollars or quite a few that you spending. We shouldn't wear the label, we should wear the scent for what it does for us.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

This was not my first scent (My beautiful and wise grandma gave me Chanel No. 5 as my first scent!), but this certainly reminds me of my first true love, my first kiss and all the sweetness and innocence of that time in my life. That first kiss was the first time I realized that a boy could really love me.

No words can describe that first kiss; the tenderness, the innocence, the feelings of butterflies in the stomach, the first glimpse of the depth and breadth of true love; it's one of the most magical moments in life. That is what this perfume reminds me of.

I know that this perfume for me marked the beginning of my romance with "baby"/gourmand type scents like Heaven Sent, Pavi Elle, and now Aquolina Pink Sugar. I'm happy that it's still a part of my fragrance wardrobe and still a part of my life. I still LOVE it now as much as I did then, just like that cute boy, who is still in my life too! xoxo

Lornaluv
Lornaluv

Like all young girls growing up in the 70s this was one of my first perfumes. I think I got it as gift or stocking stuffer from a friend at around 11 or so.

Most of the girls I knew had this one or Avon's Sweet Honesty. My mother didn't like either one so she wasn't the giver of this scent I liked Sweet hoesty better than this but only just, as I consedered both to be too little girlish and too popular. Loves had other scents that I liked so much more.

This was pure Baby Powder on me, I never got any other scent or note than baby powder, this smelled much better on my friends than on me.

b.a.denney
b.a.denney

This is such a classic. It was one of my first perfumes along with I think Love's Soft Jasmine. I preferred the Baby Soft. If I had some I'd probably still wear it. It's soft and powdery but it isn't just powder. I may just have to buy a bottle. I could see myself applying this before bed.

SueLidstone
SueLidstone

I hate this perfume, always have. All I smell is powder, powder, powder....smells like Cabbage Patch Dolls that were popular back in the 80's, the dolls were cute but wouldn't want to smell like one, yuck!

RebekahR84
RebekahR84

My very first perfume. It's so nostalgic. I would get it in my stocking every Christmas. I don't think I could be objective. This scent is fresh and just makes me feel happy.

pipergirl
pipergirl

My very first perfume! Loved it so much when I was around 10/11. I once wore it to work when I was in my 20's (back in the early/mid 90's when sillage bombs ruled) and the reactions were kind of hilarious - because it was so unexpected, yet so familiar.

Such a gentle, soft scent - youthful, carefree innocence.

blackpearl1
blackpearl1

I saw the fragrances in this perfume. so I decided to
buy it. I like it a lot actually . Its very soft and
mild!feminate. It really does smell a little like
baby powder mixed with baby oil, well i quess thats
why they call it baby soft. I think i am going to
use this for my spring and summer scent. Its also
great for people who work in feilds where they
cant wear strong perfumes. Excellent!!

kafleenthedonkey
kafleenthedonkey

I think it smells like Play Dough! Yet, it's still one of my favorite fragrances. Very powdery.

laurakaye
laurakaye

Like so many, this was also my first perfume at age 12, and I wouldn't mind revisiting it to see if it still smells like I remember - fresh, sweet, innocent. Can it possibly be the same formula as it was back in the day?

I would've never thought to classify this as sexy but then, at 12, I didn't even know what that meant. Might have to take a second look at this just for fun.

frugalwitch
frugalwitch

The first fragrance my Momma allowed me to wear way back in 1976! I turned 12 that year and this is the scent that made me feel that I was actually becoming a woman. I still wear it in spring and summer:)

maryellen125
maryellen125

Had this in the 70's, along with Love's Fresh Lemon. Was the first fragrance I bought for my daughter, when she was 11 or so.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

Oddly, I prefer this scent now, as opposed to when I was a younger teen. Even then, I liked unusual, heavy scents (what the Gor novels call "slave perfume", referring to harem type women).
Also, the TV ads offended me. The one where the "cute girl on the bike gets the guy, and the brash girl in the convertible doesn't" seemed to promote a kind of coy, phony manipulation that was supposed to have gone out with the 1950's.
The other ad, where a vacant-eyed woman in a cotton nightgown licks a lollipop, actually grossed me out.It seemed to be promoting either child molestation, or the ravaging of mentally handicapped women. Either that, or the old-fashioned idea that girls are supposed to "play dumb" to attract guys. PULEEZE!!!!!!
But a couple of years ago, the drugstore had a bottle on sale for one dollar after Valentine's Day, so I bought it. NICE!!!!! I do like the scent of baby powder, and this was similar. It was fun for a change. Too bad they don't make an EDP, because Love's Baby Soft just does not last as long as I am used to.
Also, my gentleman friend at the time said I "smelled really pretty".
What's the matter, you don't like Ciara?!? lol

Lovesmells
Lovesmells

I don't think this review will add a new breakthrough information.
Baby powder, baby powder......
Wore it yearsssssss ago.
Bought it recently to use after a hot shower at the gym.
Does not last long
But the YOUNG woman at the desk out front was desperate to find what it was and get. Go figure!
Baby powder

Mom2Dano
Mom2Dano

I remember getting this when I was a kid. I was so excited to actually have a "perfume" of my own, my first. It smelled soft and pretty to me and I wore it all the time. I have since grown up and kinda left the baby soft days in the dust. But my sister actually bought some not too long ago and I just had to spray some on for old times sake. I remember the scent well, but when I sprayed it on recently it was a lot stronger and in your face than I recall. I coughed for a good minute. I felt like I had just walked into a nursery where an entire bottle of baby powder had just been dropped and scattered about the floor. It says it has a hint of sexiness in it but I don't smell that, all I smell is the overwhelming scent of baby powder. Although once it starts wearing off it's not that strong, but still smells like the powder. But, I say it is a great scent for pre teens and young teens.

Thatkid

This is a straight on dupe on baby powder, but lasts maybe 5 minutes.

xoxoRosita
xoxoRosita

This is such an innocent scent, perfect for pre-teens or women like myself who just want an extremely light and soft aura (: It really is exactly like baby powder but in a liquid. I like to wear it when I get out of the shower, it really does make me smell like a freshly clean baby. So precious but not something I'd recommend as an actual perfume, just something for a day at home.

Thatkid

I like this perfume and it's great after a shower, however it only holds for about 10 minutes and then it's completely gone.

ialwayssmellgood
ialwayssmellgood

I put this on to day after showering and forgot how much I really liked it. It honestly smells better on me now than it did back then! I used baby oil gel and then sprayed this on. I smell like a big ass infant, but I love it!

libbyanne
libbyanne

When I smell this all I can say is ("Holy powder Batman"). Fruity no, give it to you little daughter and dearly regret it, Yes! If you wish to smell like an infants nursery filled with Johnson and Johnsons baby power, then this is just what you're looking for.

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this and jovan musk (i think) along with charlie were some of my first scents ever as a pre-teen. boy did i spray a lot of this stuff back then. i remember buying it at GEMCO, which is now a target. ha.

Mooncatt
Mooncatt

I remember sneaking a spritz in my friend's bedroom, then going out to the living room to join my sister and her. She exclaimed, "Phew, what did you do, use the whole bottle?" I said, "no, it was just one spray!":) I guess it really worked on me.

Smelly Mama
Smelly Mama

The most classic of scents worn by most teen girls back in MY day (80's and 90's) I still love it.
This, Exclamation, Vanilla Fields and Jovan White Musk were my 'go to' scents. ahhh to be young again!

yasammy
yasammy

My mom was the one who picked this out while we were shopping. She instantly recodnized the little pink bottle and talked me into testing it. I wasn't too impressed with the packaging, but boy am I glad my mom was there- I would have missed out on a total gem! For me this is the perfect on-the-go scent. It's very fresh and suitable for everyday use. Definitely buying this!

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

I love this fragrance. It does indeed smell like a baby, but if you compare it to other "baby" scents, it has a little somethin' extra. This fragrance has a tiger hiding in the bottle, in the form of animalic notes that are quite sexy. I have tried several baby powder accord fragrances and this one takes first place. You can smell these musky, animalic tones if you compare it side by side of other fragrances in it's classification. To my nose, the others fall flat. Love's Baby Soft has a warmth and musky sensuality that makes it appropriate for a romantic fragrance. Romantic and casual.

Imagine yourself in that favorite snuggly sweater, in front of the fireplace with your sweetheart...giggling and smooching! That's Love's Baby Soft...a giggle and a smooch in a bottle! Awesome.

Lovely123
Lovely123

I was surprised when sniffing it and realizing that this is the smell of baby powder, and that's all. If you like smelling like a baby, then I guess it's perfect.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

Ohh, this is heavenly!

I`m always on the hunt for perfumes that smells like soft vintage face powder, lipsticks in shiny covers and old fashioned soap bars that comes in a fancy plastic box, the kind your grandmother have - and this smells just like that!

When I was a kid and beautyshops still existed, this was the kind smell that would greet you when you opened the door. The smell of a real woman! The smell of mums and grandmothers, and their makeup bags and bathrooms.

I can`t tell you enough how much I love this type of soft, powdery, velvety smooth, creamy scents!

Unfortunately you can`t buy this in Sweden, you have to order it online. So the price is not low, but I don`t care. I must have this. I must.

lizzie12
lizzie12

I have just received my bottle (blind buy) and not too sure whether I have like
or not .Seems to contain a somewhat bitter note - maybe the geranium? The dry down is more pleasant but think I Will only layer with another fraga as via bitter note won't leave me . Finding it hard locating a nic soft floral. Think I Will stick with chanel no 5

larali
larali

I can't say much that hasn't already been said. I bought this for my little girls. Today I am testing it. The girls are playing with rubber balloons, and the perfume has a rubbery undercurrent that smells similar to the balloons. (Geranium?) It's not enough to turn me off to the fume-- the vanilla and rose is strong enough to mask it. But that's what you get with an inexpensive product. It's not bad at all, if you want to smell like baby powder-- but as for myself, I'll leave it to the kids.

zatenhaar
zatenhaar

wow what a creepy add.

Malibu
Malibu

I bought this in America several years ago, on impulse just before I left for the airport to return home, as I'd read so many positive reviews.

My body chemistry is not made for this at all, because I can't detect a single floral note or any sweetness whatsoever. There is a baby powder scent and, despite the suffocating thickness, I think I'd enjoy it...

That is if there wasn't a sharp, sour under-bite to the fragrance. I'm not sure what this unpleasant tang is, so I'll just go with 'herbal', crossed with [as another reviewer pointed out] BO.

All in all the combination is cloying and gave me a number of headaches and nausea.

anne.amadora
anne.amadora

I bought it when I lived in America in the 80's (I am french)
I've ordered it recently to bring back memories but I am slightly disapointed, it seems less sweet, it doesn't smell the same thing than it used to when I spray it on (baby powder) and it's hardly lasting more than 5 minutes
I might spray it in the house but not sure yet

SandraV
SandraV

I used to love this when I was younger and just tried it for old time's sake:it seems different from how I remember.It's a lot stronger than it used to be or perhaps my memory is bad.I wonder if it was reformulated like pretty much every Dana perfume...

nananessa
nananessa

I like to wear this under arm, on top of whatever deo/anti-perspirant I am wearing if I am not wearing any other fragrances. I usually wear it at home & have to remind myself to use only a light spray because it is potent. I don't particularly like an alcohol smell as it dries down but then it loses that to a floral-baby powdery fragrance with soft rose, lavender & vanilla. It mixes well with other florals & vanilla/patchouli based scents. I like it for a cheapie, don't love it, but it serves a purpose for me.

Karen.M.OShaughnessy
Karen.M.OShaughnessy

Probably the first fragrance I bought--back in the 70's. Don't recall a musk or patchouli note--just the powdery baby smell.

dmaw
dmaw

Peking: the power of perfume to bring back youthful memories. :) I love your ritual of bubble gum lipsmackers and love's baby soft.

Peking
Peking

My best friend and I wore this when we were young. I remember the ads, (now that I see them on here) but when you are naive as we were that goes right over your head. I have this now and wear it sometimes after a shower or bath along with my bugglegum lip smackers and I may be an old lady now but I feel good when I wear it!

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

Ive been interested in trying the "cheap and cheerful" fragrances by "Dana" for some time now. Id not heard of this brand until i joined Fragrantica. :). Id certainly never seen any Dana on sale in the UK.....Until i came across a box full of Dana's in a little discount shop the other day . £2.50 for 15ml :). The box was stuffed away on a bottom shelf almost out of sight. The guy in the shop reckons they wont sell as there just not that well known in this country.

I bought the Baby Soft and like it a lot. Baby Powder with a touch of rose is what im smelling. I think it would be great to layer with other frags.

Im shocked at those 70s ads on here .... Eeekk! Very wrong indeed. How did they ever get away with it ?

Ive read some good reviews on "Tojours Moi" , and "french vanilla " on here , which ive already spied in the "bargain box". Id love to get my hands on

Love Fresh Lemon
Loves Rain Scent
Loves Soft Jasmine

Those were not in the box but Ive told the guy in the shop to grab them for me if he sees them at the warehouse :) The "rain forest" one is of particular interest

They also has "Tabu" which has mixed reviews , but as im dying to know what the "scent of a whore " smells like , that will be my next buy.

Very happy with my BabySoft and ive been wearing it to bed as a comfort scent :)

lizzegrl
lizzegrl

This was the first perfume girls were allowed to have in my community. It was a very big thing when you were allowed to wear it finally. :) Every 12-15 year old girl smelled of Love's Baby Soft. It was my first perfume, but alas makes me sneeze, just as most. Memories however are still great.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

This scent.... smells very subtle, powdery, cute. Used it as a child, but I still use it sometimes when I get out of the shower or before bed. It's clean & lovely...very relaxing scent.

astamm62
astamm62

I like this scent,it's soft and pretty...I don't care what age it's meant for..I like wearing it with rose or violet fragrances or just by it's self.It was also Allure's pick for a drugstore fragrance.

Lushylori
Lushylori

Just got a new bottle today...Brings back a lot of childhood memories :)

peppermint136
peppermint136

Baby powder, roses, and geranium. Not bad. And $3/0.69oz.

lblackstone
lblackstone

Had this when I was about 12 in the 70s. It was all the rage. Loved it then. Sweet, powdery, pink! Perfect for a young girl. Not so much for a grown woman. But a great nostalgia trip!

lettyb76
lettyb76

My sister and I both got this as Christmas gifts when we were kids. I remember really liking it. I haven't smelled it in years, but I remember it smelling very light. It's definitely not headache inducing.

UPDATE: I was just at the drugstore and they had it, so I went ahead and smelled it. It smells cheap. It's not disgusting, but it's definitely for kids and teens.

MickeyFinn80
MickeyFinn80

My very first perfume that I received as a little girl. I then bought it for my daughter as her first fragrance. Light ans powdery, perfect for a young lady.

Tovah
Tovah

I got this as a present from my mother when I was 10 years old. It was 1976, and, back then, "little girls" did not wear perfume. My mother assumed this baby powder-ish fragrance was made for little girls, so it wouldn't be socially awkward for them to wear perfume. I had a "splash" bottle of Baby Soft that had shimmer in it, and eventually someone gave me a spray bottle. I don't remember wearing it personally, because it smelled either oily (the splash) or plasticy (the spray) on my skin, and I didn't like it. Plus, every girl in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade had their own bottle of Baby Soft, and its scent permeated the air, along with a multitude of Bonne Bell flavored Lip Smackers (my favorite was Cotton Candy). Even back then, I didn't like to smell like "everybody else" so I would sneak drops of my mother's Emeraude every chance I got. I have a vivid memory of sneakily splashing Baby Soft onto the neck of a boy who sat in front of me,in English class, making him disrupt the classroom by asking me if something "smelled funny". All I could do was laugh, and, thankfully, both the teacher and the boy thought my prank was funny. The boy eventually became a professional football player, on a national team, and most likely never again wore Love's Baby Soft.

I don't recall seeing the infamous, sickening ad, "Because Innocence is sexier than you think", until it showed up on the internet a few years ago. I'm sure my mother hadn't seen it, or I'd never have gotten this fragrance! I vaguely remember an ad with a girl and a horse, but I don't recall it being something that would attract pedophiles, like the aforementioned add with a little girl and a teddy bear. A fragrance that's supposed to smell innocent like babies should never, ever be marketed with a child as "sexy". Frankly, that's just warped.

In 2011, Love's Baby Soft smells pretty much exactly as I remember it smelled in 1976. It's a cutesy, innocuous fragrance that could easily be used in diaper cream, baby wash, or baby corn starch.

nbette
nbette

This is the first review I write about a product ever, but some comments inspired me to share my thoughts.

I just turned 21 and my aunt lovingly gave this to me as a present. I am sure I have smelled this before and I absolutely loved this scent when I was younger. However, I can't explain why, but at my age it doesn't feel natural or appealing to wear it.

I agree that it smells powdery and soft. It quite frankly smells like babies.

EDIT: I agree with the comment above mine by @Tovah. It's what I was trying to communicate. Actually, this is the commercial I think Tovah was referring to:

youtube.com/watch?v=l7IP5SV6GqQ

Nernanator
Nernanator

A nostalgic and comforting scent. I wouldn't wear it now but the 10 year old in me sure would!

ScentOCD
ScentOCD

I think this was my first perfume. I remember it's soft, sweet as in innocent not fruity scent. I'm not much into powdery scents oh some many years ago, as I'm now 40. But, I think it's a very good scent for a girl's first perfume.

BearysHoney
BearysHoney

I remember trying this in school when all my friends seemed to be wearing it. Not sure what it was, but there was something in the scent that smelled dirty to me. I don't mean dirty as in naughty but dirty as in unclean, needs to wash kind of way... just this underlying something I couldn't quite place that ended up turning me off. Maybe something in my brain translated it as a "cover up" scent? lol But yeah, no way I could wear this scent now.

vanillaberry
vanillaberry

I wore this in elementary school...I'm not kidding. I loved it. All the girls wore it. It was the Christmas Gift Set to receive.

BlueMoonRose
BlueMoonRose

Wore this in my early teens and always liked it ... very sweet but not overdone. I would definitely try it again once in a while but feel like I am probably too old for it now ;)

aprilsauce
aprilsauce

I agree with most reviewers here that this fragrance is definitely a rite of passage from girlhood to womandom, but...and I sincerely apologize to anyone who is offended by this, but this fragrance just smells like eau de child prostitute to me. It's likely that it's due to experience with wearers of the perfume rather than the perfume itself, but I'm really put off of it because of that association.
I know I wore this fragrance often as a 13 y/o, and back then I thought it smelled kind of secretly mature, with the baby powdery, rose-ish scent. Now I smell it and think about all the young women in tacky tasteless outfits who bathe in this scent and I just feel horrified. I guess it's true that scents are really strongly tied to memories.

TWebb
TWebb

I buy this for my pre-teen daughters and nieces. Perfect gift and introduction to perfume/cologne.

puppynose
puppynose

Still have mine-used up the first one when I was a teen and felt compelled to replace it about 20 years ago, but hardly ever used it but enjoy smelling it now and then. It was a cool concept well executed when it came out and I believe it is an enduring classic in spite of being a "drug store" fragrance. It was and is accessible to teens on a budget and it was soft, innocent and yet made me as a teen and young adult feel sensual and sexy without screaming it. It made me feel confident that if someone was allowed close enough to smell it on me, it would say just enough about me and not shout anything that would make me feel self conscious. Very safe for those young self conscious times. The vanilla component in this is actually of surprisingly better quality than that in most vanilla based fragrances including those of much much higher price. I basing my statements on the original and relatively vintage versions so if it has been reformulated in the last ten years or so, I can not speak to that.

20thcenturyrelic
20thcenturyrelic

Yep, I had this when it first came out. But, I never really felt comfortable wearing it. It wasn't my fragrance. So I gave the bottle to a friend.

I much preferred Eau de Love, made by the same company that made the Baby Soft. It was a very soft floral fragrance. I think the main note was orange blossom. Alas, it was discontinued in the 80s, but I'm hoarding a small bottle of it in the refrigerator.

madhatter1
madhatter1

I loved this also in my youth!

melbritt24

Very nice if you want to wear fragrance the same day you plan to go to Yoga class! Unoffensive to your fellow Yogi's!

stacyrenee
stacyrenee

I tried this recently and loved it instantly! A very sophisticated grown-up baby powder. There is something cool, easy and sexy about this. Seems like it would be nice to layer with another fragrance. Lasts very long on me. Very few chemical ingredients listed on the box. Also makes excellent puppy perfume! Spritzed the dog with this, and almost 18 hours later she still smells divine.
On a side note, is it just me, or are the ad pictures for this fragrance (at the top of the page) a little bit creepy? Still a good, inexpensive little fragrance.

edit: Funny how scent will remind you of something forever- I no longer have that puppy(gave her to a friend) but I just cannot wear this perfume anymore because it makes me think of the pup everytime I smell it. Its just not "me" anymore!

skissez
skissez

this was my first perfume i got as a little girl , so soft and powdery smells just like baby powder :) every here and there i buy myself a small bottle :)

Aquatic Amethyst
Aquatic Amethyst

Aside from fooling around with someone's "Roses Roses" cologne as a 5-10 year old, Love's Baby Soft was my first perfume ever. I started wearing it in middle school slightly before I was allowed to wear makeup (I think). I had a set that included an after-bath splash, a bubble bath or body wash, and a lotion. The after-bath splash made my fingertips peel!! High alcohol content, anyone? :) The regular cologne was wonderful--a nice pink scent with baby powder and light florals. I remember the staying power wasn't great, though, and the drydown was kind of strange on me...like the powder wilted somehow. I think I could still get away with wearing this scent today, but I'm busy exploring other perfume pastures. Great memories!

sweetstar1
sweetstar1

This was my first perfume. I used to love it. It smells just like baby powder. I recently tested this scent again and it is very nostalgic. It reminds me of childhood.

melbritt24

I was very fortunate growing up to have an aunt that worked at my hometown Coty outlet store here in North Carolina. The Coty outlet store is located beside the factory where the products are made and as you drive past the factory, you can smell all of the lovely perfumes in the air!

If you are not familiar, Coty produces Calgon bath products, Rimmel London makeup, and many readily available fragrances such as Jennifer Lopez, Marc Jacobs, Halle Berry, Calvin Klein, Celine Dion, Adidas, Stetson, Vera Wang, Viviene Westwood, Nautica, Jovan, Chopard, and Chloe....just to name a few!

I was lucky to have Love's Baby Soft given to me at the ripe age of 13, among other appropriate fragrances, as a Christmas gift from my aunt. I treasured this soft, powdery fragrance and took it for granted.

Yesterday, as I was flipping through the most recent edition of Allure magazine I came across a $1.00 off coupon for Love's Baby Soft and and was intrigued that it is still so popular! I have decided to use my coupon and go snag a bottle of this youth serum to have for the hot and humid days of upcoming summer in balmy North Carolina.

Happyvalleygirl
Happyvalleygirl

This perfume was a right of passage.

Cocacolapeachgirl
Cocacolapeachgirl

Who doesn't recall this one? It was the perfect scent for a tween/teen that was fresh, powdery and lasted. It was made for young girls and the price was just as nice.

jamieh3343
jamieh3343

This was my first purfume when I was about 9 or 10. I hope they still make it when my little girl is old enough.

while i stated in my other review that i still love this one. i also love dana's fresh lemon. i just ordered from amazon, i can't wait to get it. fresh lemon is not mentioned here on fragrantica. i also remember the lemon up shampoo, i always used it. ahhhh, the good ole' days.

deannab10
deannab10

My very first "perfume". I didn't even know they made this anymore. A very soft, feminine and powdery scent. Definitely suited to young girls.

I also had the green one. I think it was called "Rain".

purrz11
purrz11

I keep this in my desk drawer at work. It's great for freshening up after lunch. Not too girlie. I get lots of compliments on it and most everyone recognizes it from their teens right away!

love this til today. soft, feminine, powdery, not too sweet fragrance. nice for right out of the shower before bed. drys to a pleasing aromatherepy for me. great memories here and still a nice light fragrance.

cloibne
cloibne

This is about Love's Baby Soft Rainbforest by Dana.
My skin wears greens and mens scents better.
Love's Baby Soft is nice: light and powdery, Rainforest does have that hint of a powdery undercurrent.If you're planning on getting your daughter/little woman Windsong when she's older, start her on this.

I really like the Love's Rainforest body mist by Dana but it makes me sneeze:(
This is particularly unfortunate because, unlike most perfumes, Love's Rainforest doesn't have a predominantly powdery or perfumey smell on me,I think it even smells a little green.
Rainforest smells to me like Asti or Eiswine, subtley sweet and sparkley.
It also reminds me of a long lost perfume from my teens but, even more so, of a clothing store I used to frequent...maybe The Limited or Express?
Rainforest is a great after shower/pool perfume on the way to a fun warm weather date.
I also like the way it smells in the rain.
Try Loves Rainforest with aloe vera shampoo/body lotion for an interesting,fresh smell.

BelleofRivendell
BelleofRivendell

Smells like baby powder with a mischievous kick. Lasts about 2 hours on my skin. Great in summer time.

nickinotnikki
nickinotnikki

I first got this when I was 13 and I still wear it sometimes. It's a very powdery fresh scent, I spray it on before bed quite a bit.

AgentSteph
AgentSteph

Awe, memories. I wore this stuff out as a tween! I tried a splash at the drugstore recently just to reminisce. Smelled just as good and powdery as I remembered, but could barely detect it just an hour later. Still though, a perfect stocking stiffer for the young girl in your life.

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

This was one of my very first fumes... Keeping in tradition, I bought it for my daughter for Valentine's day for her first perfume. She loves it! And I still do. I wouldn't wear it now though. There are more grown up versions of this same powerdy feel/scent out there. Love's is good for the tweens! A safe introduction to fragrance.

Kiku
Kiku

This one smells so much like spring. Early spring, when the mornings are still cool and the shy lilies of the valley show their faces and give their sweet scent to a world weary of winter. I don't smell baby powder, lavender, roses, or any of the other notes listed. This one smells like pure lily of the valley, just like the ones that grow in my garden. It is sweet, a bit green, and with a moistness at it's center. Lovely and romantic, this would be a good first fragrance for a young girl.

Sillykelly
Sillykelly

I am a HUGE perfumista. Without a doubt, this is the one I get the most compliments on from men. The exact thing someone said to me on a hot day recently, elbow to elbow at a festival was "who smells like naughty babypowder?" and when I said it might be me, he leaned in and said "that's HOT!"...This is the kind of reaction I've gotten many times. I don;t know that I'd I'd call it a floral though as listed here. I've also read it described as an animalic. I think it's clean, feminine, musky, all at the same time and deep enough to be really, really sexy. My only complaint is it's staying power. It is after all, a very inexpensive scent. But, I've found that when I layer it with the body spray I get a little more mileage. I have also found the version out now of the lotion, body "mist" and body gel are all cheap and yucky. Don't bother with anything but the cologne spray or body spray.

greengrl
greengrl

I absolutely love this. Its such a light fragrance that reminds me of baby powder. I always keep a bottle in my purse. It doesn't have as much staying power as I would like it to.

You can pick up on the jasmine and lavender upon first spraying it. I've gotten so many compliments on this one, more so than any of the other fragrances in my wardrobe.

miss_piggy
miss_piggy

I had this once, and long before that I smelled some that my youngest aunt had. I gotta be a sucker for nostalgia, but I'm sure this scent is now more deeply tied to less savory times. Still might be interesting to try again, just out of morbid fascination of how vividly a scent can put you back there...

elusivek
elusivek

This was the first "perfume" I was allowed to have as a child. I used to love the soft powdery floral scent. It definitely says innocence to me but that's when I wore it. Interesting thing is when I got older I no longer liked powdery or very floral scent.

falovalo
falovalo

I had this when I was 12 and 13. It is what it says it is: Baby Soft, which translates into baby powder. It's a nice, soft, inoffensive fragrance, nothing too complicated or in-your-face.

Love's Baby Soft by Dana 3.70 out of 5 based on 430 ratings and 105 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dana Love's Baby Soft fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dana Love's Baby Soft, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Love's Baby Soft by Dana. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Love's Baby Soft by Dana represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.