Designers » D E » Oriental Floral « Groups

Lutece Dana for women

Lutece Dana for women
dislike

aldehydic

Lutece by Dana is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Lutece was launched in 1984. Top notes are aldehydes, mandarin orange, brazilian rosewood and geranium; middle notes are peony, rosemary, orris root, vetiver, lily-of-the-valley and cedar; base notes are tonka bean, cinnamon, musk, vanilla and heliotrope.

Aldehydes Mandarin Orange Brazilian Rosewood Geranium

Scandal

Lutece Fragrance Reviews

lorililly
lorililly

I haven't seen this since probably 1985 or 1986: the Houbigant version was really, really beautiful. I did smell the Dana version, and it was pretty similar, but it's been so long now I don't really know what to think about it anymore...except I LOVED it in the past. Maybe now I would feel differently....so many fragrances I adored in the past don't smell the same any longer, and don't go well with my chemistry. Wish it would come back as an "anniversary edition" or something so I could try it again!

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Freshly applied hairspray in a dark musty dated bathroom with the scent of a recent shower with lux soap, and a spritz of Yardley lily of the valley and you have summed up lutece for me. It is a powdery, soapy lily of the valley scent with a rather depressing feel to my nose.

silverbutterfly
silverbutterfly

I have this one in a cologne version. First goes powder, then goes aldehydes, geranium and a hint of vanilla. Very 90th or late 80th. Very strong.

Sweet Sea Pea
Sweet Sea Pea

I was gifted this by a boyfriend when I was 13 years old. It would have been about 1990. I didn't really like how it smelled, it must have been the aldehydes. It was sour and dry to my nose then, I'm not sure how I would react to it now. I think it's very funny to come across this again at age 36, when I am learning about classic perfumery. I'm sure I could appreciate it more now. I do remember thinking it seemed like a classy lady perfume, and I sort of wondered how a boy would choose such a fragrance. As I recall, it had very good sillage (not such a good thing if you don't love the fragrance) and staying power. I think when people talk about perfumes having an "age", it's more about the personality of the wearer, and what they can appreciate themselves. I'm sure I would have preferred something much fruitier and softer at that age.

susanmsuk
susanmsuk

The earlier version of Lutece is much better than the one produced by Dana. The former seems to have more expensive ingredients, whereas the latter just smells cheap.

emiana
emiana

I love it! very similar to Ombre Rose but more powdery!!

vabsw
vabsw

This fragrance has 11 of the same ingredients of Ombre Rose, the fruits are different this has Mandarin Orange whereas Ombre Rose has Peach, and a few other notes, like Sandalwood, ylang ylang, honey rose and iris, whereas this has rose peony and rosemary. All in all the two fragrances are very similar.

1984 I was gifted a bottle of Lutece. I loved it - and Lutece stayed in my memories. Today I have a new bottle beside me - found it on a webshop. The smell is just as I remembered. Fresh, clean, airy and just wonderful. Still modern but not sugarsweet, still love it!

1984 fick jag Lutece i present. Älskade den och Lutece stannade i minnet under många år. Idag har jag köpt en flaska från en webshop. Den doftar exakt som jag kommer ihåg den. fräsch, ren, luftig och bara helt underbar. Ännu modern men utan att var sockersöt - älskar den fortfarande!

red347
red347

First off, thank all of you for your reviews! These wonderful reviews got this fragrance on my "want" list and thank you Rosie for the most amazing swap!

This is such a wonderful find, a marvelous mix of powder, rose, wood, vetiver, and musk.

It's a classic! I don't know how or why but when I was testing it I thought huh, this might just work on me... a little later, the wife came in and agreed completely! On my skin it has a musky vetiver scent, on her its more of a powdery rose, VERY feminine, very seductive scent. I am still amazed at how body chemistry can affect a fragrance so much!

Okay, do I like it??? OH YES
Is it for everyone??? Nope, which is a good thing because its my new favorite!

Go easy on the trigger folks, she's like AT&T, you can reach out and touch someone with this fragrance if your not careful!!!

joliecat
joliecat

On my skin, Dana's Lutece sprays on very woody and dry. The rosewood and vetiver are very strong at first. The drydown is softly powdery, more floral, and calms the woods. There is a vague similarity to the woody parts of Ombre Rose, but Lutece is not nearly as floral, not as sweet, and has no rose in it. Well blended, Lutece resembles Navy at first spray, but Lutece is softer and sweeter than Navy. The drydown is closer to Ombre Rose.
Lutece lasts all day, wears close to skin, and it's very affordable. It's soft, rosey, with moderate silage. I love it !

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

Powdery sweetness! Yes, this starts with a nice vetiver (the first 5 minutes are a good definition of vetiver), but it quickly moves to simply powdery softness. Yes, it's a bit floral; yes, it is a sweet fragrance. But powder is the one word that keeps coming to mind. Almost a Johnson&Johnson Baby powder--clean, fresh, innocent, innofensive. Other than that initial vetiver, I do not get any of the other notes; I have no idea what is combining to give me that powdery sense(floral musk?), but it is definitely there. I am really enjoying this as something simple and easy to wear. I don't think this would ever offend....neither is it really going to turn heads. I'm going to enjoy this for what it is: a simple, wearable daily fragrance.

celebrity89
celebrity89

If I remember correctly, the Dana version is clearer than the warmer Houbigant. Still, this is a lovely, sparkly frag. Softer than Ombre Rose and livlier than Navy.

My review will be for the current version of Lutece. I've never tried the Houbigant version so I have nothing to compare it to. This is a soft floral powdery dream! My skin seems to skip right over the aldehydes and cinnamon shown at the top of the right side pyramid, and goes straight to the soft florals and musk. The top and middle phases are pleasant enough, with a well blended mix of florals and a touch of vetiver, but the drydown is divine. This blend of florals, mixed with the softest of clean musks, gives an impression of the softest powder. This is soft, floral, peaceful, feminine, and romantic. I almost think there is violet in here. I have both Lutece and Ombre Rose, which are known to be similar. I have compared them side by side and prefer Lutece. It seems to develop more beautifully on my skin. I feel like I am floating on a cloud when I wear this.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

If you spray this lightly it smells very similar to Ombre Rose. Very very nice. The topnotes are a bit scary and citrusy/aldehyd overload, but they disappear after a while thankfully.

Powdery makeup smell, creamy, musky, soapy, a bit spicy and almost salty.

I LOVE this type of "skin scents".

Very inexpensive.

I prefer Ombre Rose though, it´s a bit softer and the bottle is cuter.

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

A good skin scent, non-offensive sillage, and a really good buy. I reach for it when I want to put on scent to feel "pulled together", but I'm not going for a particular impression. I do get compliments on it, too.

ANGELICA07
ANGELICA07

Could somebody who knows both editions please tell me which are the differences between Houbigant's "Lutece" and Dana's "Lutece" ?

Which one is the original and which one is the reformulation ?
An how is the original different from the reformulation ? And, vice-versa, how is the reformulation different from the original ?
Are they two different perfumes or does the reformulation stay true to the original version ?

Thank you.

Angelica.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

I had this scent as a kid...back then I thought it smelled very powdery & pretty. It's a classic scent; I think is very elegant.

fatboyslimsmom
fatboyslimsmom

The first bottle I bought was in 1986 at the Dillard's in Shreveport---that was the only place to find it.
My husband LOVES it so much, that I have to keep a bottle at home all the time.
I am not good at describing what I smell, but I love it.

almondcookie
almondcookie

The opening is lovely as it reminds me of chanel no5 but it soon fades away into a very powdery smell which isn't bad. The only let down is that after a while the fragrance becomes pretty boring. Just bare in mind that a little goes a long way.

i like it, i always have. one of my signature scents way back when. i believe i reviewed the houbigant brand. i didn't know it was made by dana also.( or is it one and the same?) it is a powdery, soft, musky floral. very feminine scent. if it stills smells the same today as it did back then, i'd wear it. it never matters to me how old a perfume is, or what decade its from as long as it still smells nice on me and has not gone bad and as long as it is not obnoxious and i still like it, then i will still wear it. i tend to like a lot of the older classics anyway.

moynah
moynah

this fragrance was introduced to me in 1986 - a schoolfriend wore it
20 years later I found it, bought it.. and it took me straightback to school
it is very powdery, but I would also say, if it was a pc it would be a commodore 64. Outdated, in the same circa as Tweed or Charlie. Great if you wish to strike a memory. I think scent would be described as powdery orange (zest) meets vanilla (sweet) meets wood. (slaps sweet in face which prevents sickly) Fresh, not musky. Different and lovely Not synthetic at all, just as new as a commodore 64! lol

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I had never heard of or smelled this perfume before I saw it in a mixed lot on ebay which I won and which arrived today. It is an old-fashioned perfume, powdery yes, but a little unusual with some sort of what smells like herbs, but I think it might be the combo of rosewood and LofV. It's a very classical soft, feminine perfume, evoking a mental picture of an elegant woman wearing cashmere and pearls. As I am a track pants and T-shirts type of person I may not wear this too often, but I do like it.

This scent is a scent that I loved when I was a teenager. When I found this photo I got a big smile on my face..Hello friend - where have you been...and now I'm looking around to find this one to buy and hopefully I will find it soon.

nyoka
nyoka

I think this is a lovly scent.For some reason I think of a cruise when I smell this.Aboard a luxery liner with a big punch bowl as a center piece on the glass table full of dead ripe,juicy oranges.WE dock and all along the banks grow wild peonys twined with orris root.Rich,deep,penetrating clouds of sweet flowers.U walk up the beach to a drink stand and get a cinnoman,vanilla frozen tea drink and as u walk back to board the smells of tonka beans and exotic flowers follows u home!

blaqueskimo
blaqueskimo

I ran across a HUGE bottle of this one day in Burlington Coat Factory and HAD to have it. This was one of my favorite scents to wear in high school. A rich powdery scent,deep hard to describe but I love it!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a very powdery scent. It smells alot like Navy but this scent seems to last a bit longer than the new cheaper version of Navy. I would recommend this scent way more than Navy because of the duration of the scent. This is a very pretty scent!

megannsmom
megannsmom

I wore this one now and then in High School during the 80's. It is sweet and yes, very powdery. A little goes a long way! Nice scent, but not my style anymore, LOL!

longhua1313
longhua1313

elegant and special. Love it.

Aalia
Aalia

This perfume (as I remember from years
ago) comes across very powdery-very.
It has an odd scent. It was a strong perfume too. Very different from anything
I can think of.

Lutece by Dana 3.68 out of 5 based on 84 ratings and 29 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Dana Lutece fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Dana Lutece, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Lutece by Dana. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Lutece by Dana represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.